PDA

View Full Version : Livin' Right

Pages : 1 [2]

Brooke
07-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Yikes, Soda! Please be careful with this. I was wondering too if you told the Dr that you were dieting.

Troubadour
07-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Take care of yourself, Soda! I understand not wanting to see that you have gained weight on the scale but one pound is absolutely nothing. Weight can fluctuate up to as much as 8lbs a day, dependant upon numerous factors. You mentioned that you have been on your period... that alone always causes me to gain a couple of pounds! It comes off straight away, though. Some bloating and temporary weight gain (mostly water weight) is totally natural.

You looked absolutely amazing when I saw you a few weeks ago in London. Just keep doing what you're doing. Health is SO much more important than a number on the scale. Hope you start to feel better soon.

Topkat
07-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Soda, thanks for posting all your experiences because it is a lesson we can all learn from. I never starve myself, but I am having so much trouble losing any weight at all. I only have about 10 pounds to lose, but they say the last 10 pounds are known to be the hardest. I only have 10 to lose, but I am working out like a crazy person, & eating a little less, & have only lost 2 pounds. This is 3 weeks of serious cardio workouts for 45 minutes plus weight training. I am so discouraged that I am seriously considering getting liposuction. I know that I can't not eat because that would never work & I could never do it anyway. I don't think I can work out any more than what I'm doing because I am working out 6 days a week. I think my age is a factor as well. I am so depressed that I am doing so much & the scale is not moving!!! This SUCKS! It's hard to stay motivated when there are so little results!

Troubadour
07-10-2012, 06:53 PM
I have mentioned this before, but I would recommend Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book 'Eat To Live' to everyone. It is not a faddy diet book - it is simple nutrition, the natural, healthy way. Primarily fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, pulses, beans and wholegrains. Perhaps I found it easier because I was already a vegetarian, but it has totally become a way of life for me now, and you will not believe the amount of weight you will lose HEALTHILY in such a short period of time. As well as how great you will feel. It is as much about disease prevention as it is about weight loss. I don't normally preach, and I realise that some people will feel that it's just not for them, but I would feel bad if I didn't recommend this book. So many people try crazy diets... Atkins, South Beach... that are pretty bad for you. They lose weight and then pile it all straight back on. This way of eating is totally different. I'd urge anybody wholeheartedly to give it a try. In short, it's all about eating foods that provide you with the most amount of nutrients for the least amount of calories, and getting back to a more natural way of eating. The best bit is, when you're eating the right foods, you can eat as much as you want!

EaglesKiwi
07-11-2012, 04:38 AM
Soda, thanks for posting all your experiences because it is a lesson we can all learn from. I never starve myself, but I am having so much trouble losing any weight at all. I only have about 10 pounds to lose, but they say the last 10 pounds are known to be the hardest. I only have 10 to lose, but I am working out like a crazy person, & eating a little less, & have only lost 2 pounds. This is 3 weeks of serious cardio workouts for 45 minutes plus weight training. I am so discouraged that I am seriously considering getting liposuction. I know that I can't not eat because that would never work & I could never do it anyway. I don't think I can work out any more than what I'm doing because I am working out 6 days a week. I think my age is a factor as well. I am so depressed that I am doing so much & the scale is not moving!!! This SUCKS! It's hard to stay motivated when there are so little results!
Topkat, you are probably gaining muscle tone at the same time you are losing fat. Muscle is heavier, so you're not going to see a quick drop on the scales. But, if you are feeling better and more toned (i.e. you can feel your muscles working when you move) then you are achieving something.

Remember there are other measures just as important as the scales: do you feel better, do your clothes fit more comfortably, do you have more energy - all good signs :thumbsup:

Topkat
07-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Topkat, you are probably gaining muscle tone at the same time you are losing fat. Muscle is heavier, so you're not going to see a quick drop on the scales. But, if you are feeling better and more toned (i.e. you can feel your muscles working when you move) then you are achieving something.

Remember there are other measures just as important as the scales: do you feel better, do your clothes fit more comfortably, do you have more energy - all good signs :thumbsup:

I know, everyone keeps telling me that I am gaining muscle, & I do feel stronger, but the other answers, would be NO. My clothing fits the same, I do not feel much better, & I am really tired when I leave the gym. I am also doing a routine of leg & ab exercises on the floor & spend at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours in the gym. I do weights every other day. I am not working now & the gym is in my building, so I feel that I have no excuses to not go.
I guess I need to change my diet... a lot. I thought with all the working out I am doing, I could still eat about the same, but that isn't working, so I must really cut back. I am going to look into the book that Troub recommended, maybe that will help!

Brooke
07-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Tk, congrats to you for working out like you do! That is amazing! I tell myself that I don't have time to walk a half hour each day. I do work full time, but still. I would agree with EK that you are gaining muscle which weighs more than fat. And you will probably have to cut back a bit on some foods.

Troub, that book sounds interesting. I might have to check it out too. I would like to lose 8-10 pounds around the mid section, but I love to eat good food! :lol: I'd never had a problem till the last couple years. It's hard!

Prettymaid
07-18-2012, 08:03 AM
I started reading Dr. Fuhrman's book last night. We shall see......

Troubadour
07-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Cool!

Topkat
07-18-2012, 01:36 PM
I looked at that book online, but I honestly don't think I can handle a diet like that. It seems to be a vegan diet & I know that is not for me. I know it is much healthier but I Know i couldn't do it. I am just going to have to cut back on everything I eat & keep working out. I have lost 3 pounds, so I guess it's just going to be a slow ride to lose 10 pounds, but I am cutting out bread, which I know is going to help!

sodascouts
07-18-2012, 01:55 PM
One thing I've kept in mind while losing weight is that you shouldn't do something to lose weight that you can't keep up - otherwise you'll gain it all back when you start eating "normally" again. That's why I still keep yummy fattening foods in my diet - if I cut them all out entirely, I won't be able to maintain it. I don't want to face a life without pizza or ice cream. I just gotta remember that I should never go back to eating foods like that all the time!

Troubadour
07-18-2012, 02:29 PM
That's the key. I would say I eat the Dr. Fuhrman way 80% of the time, and that works for me. It means that I don't feel bad if I go out for a meal or have a treat now and then - because it really is now and then, not every day. It's about finding your balance. He does have provisions in his book for people who still want to eat meat and dairy occasionally, and he says that he doesn't expect that everyone will convert to this way of eating, but even if you adopt these principles 20% of the time, you will be healthier. In short, it's about having a larger portion of veggies or salad on your plate, a smaller portion of potatoes or wholegrains, and an even smaller portion of meat or dairy - not an enormous steak with a tiny salad drenched in oil! Even things like switching to wholegrain pasta and bread will make a dramatic change. Good luck to everyone who is losing weight/getting healthier. It is totally achievable, and it's not about having huge, short bursts of motivation (as I used to.) It's just about building good habits, slowly and steadily.

Prettymaid
07-23-2012, 08:25 AM
I finished Dr Fuhrman's book - well, okay...I had to skim through some parts because he gets into studies alot and sometimes my eyes started glazing over - but message received! I am going to try a 'soft' version of his 6 week plan - all the raw and cooked vegetables you want, at least a cup of bean a day and four fruits a day. Starchy vegetables are okay, but limited, as are nuts and grains. No meat, eggs or dairy.

I couldn't believe what our shopping cart looked like yesterday, and it wasn't cheap to stock up this first time, but what a good feeling I had just knowing that I am on my way to reduced risk of heart disease and cancer, and losing weight!

Hubby, as usual, is being wonderfully supportive and although he already eats healthier foods than I do, is going to change his eating habits to suit mine.

sodascouts
07-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Good luck! I could never give up dairy. In fact, I would sooner give up meat than dairy!

Troubadour
07-23-2012, 02:33 PM
That's fantastic, Cathy! Best of luck with it - the key is to remember to eat enough of the good stuff. A mistake I made early on was not eating enough, then I'd be either hungry and tempted to eat junk, or I'd feel a bit woozy. I did have a dull headache in the first week, but it was easily manageable. After a week, I just felt great - no adverse effects whatsoever! Keep us updated as to how you're doing. As he says in his book, even if you implement the guidelines 20%, you will see a difference.

Prettymaid
07-23-2012, 02:42 PM
That's fantastic, Cathy! Best of luck with it - the key is to remember to eat enough of the good stuff.

I can see how that could happen. As I write this I am home for lunch eating a huge salad. I have a 3 minute commute, so most of my time is spent here at home for my 1-hr lunch. But I am running out of time before I can finish! Lol!

Topkat
07-23-2012, 04:33 PM
I wish I could eat tons of veggies & give up meat & dairy, but I do like chicken & dairy. This diet wouldn't work for me. I am giving up bread & that seems to be working out OK. I only have a piece of bread about 1 or 2 times a week. I have lost a few pounds now & I feel better working out, so I'm hanging in there. My back & shoulders are stronger from the weights, so I am feeling more fit & I think I look a little better in my bathing suit.

Troubadour
07-23-2012, 05:19 PM
That's great, Topkat! Giving up white bread makes a huge difference in terms of weight loss and bloating, etc.

sodascouts
07-23-2012, 05:28 PM
I thought I would never give up white bread but recently I decided to try using wheat for sandwiches and it wasn't so bad! I'm definitely going to use it more in the future.

Congrats TK!

Brooke
07-24-2012, 10:12 AM
I don't think I could possibly go without meat or dairy. Love those too much! What do you eat for breakfast?

We went from white bread to whole wheat a long time ago. The kids were little I think. I like it fine. Never buy white bread anymore.

Topkat
07-24-2012, 11:01 AM
I haven't eaten white bread for years. I am giving up ALL bread, even whole wheat. I really think the carbs are what is keeping me from losing the weight.
Hanging in there.

I'm finding a new appreciation for watermelon these days. I hear it is very healthy for you. I buy the kind that's already cut into pieces & whenever I feel I need a little something, I have some. It's really good in the hot weather! Try some for your snack!

Prettymaid
08-16-2012, 08:15 AM
I wanted to update you all on my Eat To Live 6 week program. As you recall, it consists of eating all of the raw and cooked vegetables you want (but at least a pound of each a day), at least one cup of beans per day and at least four fruits daily. Dr Fuhrman advises you to limit your starchy vegetables/whole grains to one cup a day. No meat, dairy or eggs is allowed. This is an introductory six week program that you can alter after it is over.

I am just ending week 4, and I'm so proud of myself! Although I initially started the program to lose weight, I am also very intrigued about the possibility that these plant based foods can reduce your risk of cancers and heart disease. My mother has health issues with her heart, and I am taking medication for high cholesterol. I would love to some day have my doctor's office call me after my every-three-month blood work and say, "Cathy, we don't know what you're doing, but your cholesterol is at 89!" I can say I've lost 8 lbs. so far!

Let me add that I have not followed this 6 week program to a T. I have had three portions of fish during this time, and one portion of chicken. After the first week I have had some cheese and eggs, but I have done really well. The hardest part, for me, is finding different and tasty ways to prepare my vegetables. This past weekend I purchased a vegetarian cookbook titled Quick-Fix Vegetarian by Robin Robertson, which has helped. Troubadour, perhaps you can also give me some advice.

I cannot say that I will never have a McDonald's Quarter Pounder again, but I look at the way I eat differently now and realize that just making these changes to my diet could reduce my risk of heart disease, cancers, diabetes and other diseases.

Brooke
08-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Congrats Pm! That's great that you have done so well! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
08-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Congrats! It sounds like you're doing terrific!

Topkat
08-16-2012, 12:00 PM
PM, Congratulations, You are doing great on this program!! It's hard to follow a plan 100%, but you are sticking with it very well!
Continued success! :thumbsup:

Troubadour
08-16-2012, 01:42 PM
That is absolutely fantastic, Cathy! Congratulations! I am so pleased you're getting on so well - a loss of 8lbs is great and it's even better to know that you're doing it with your health in mind. It can be tricky at first to get used to the "blandness" of the food (but this is only because we have become so used to using salt and oils, etc.) I use plenty of herbs - basil, oregano, thyme, parsley, etc. Black pepper and any spices - paprika, cayenne - are also allowed. You could also try buying a pot of mixed herbs in a powder form. Christi gave me Cavender's Greek Seasoning (I can't buy it over here in the UK) which is a concoction of herbs and garlic powder etc in a shaker. It's really yummy and is great for flavouring anything, especially quinoa/rice/veg dishes. It does have some salt in it, so you might want to go easy, but if it helps you to eat more veg, I don't think it will do much harm! It's also great on salad instead of a liquid dressing.

Prettymaid
08-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks everybody and thanks Troub for the advice.

Here is what a day's worth of meals looks like for me:

Breakfast
-------------

3/4 c Quaker Natural Granola cereal with 1 c blueberries and 1/2 c almond milk and a banana

or

1/2 c instant oatmeal with cinnamon and 1/4 c raisins and a banana

Lunch
--------

A very large green salad topped with assorted vegetables and/or 1 c beans with low fat or fat free salad dressing and a piece of fruit (usually a plum or peach)

or

Leftovers from the night before and a piece of fruit

Dinner
---------

Black bean, corn and tomato enchilladas (with whole grain tortillas) and a green salad and fruit

or

Brown rice, walnut and dried cranberry stuffed butternut squash (slow cooker) with green salad

or

Couscous Shepherd's Pie with green salad (from my new cookbook, I fixed this last night and we both loved it. It was my first time using veggie burger crumbles!)

sodascouts
08-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Oh my. Congrats on being able to stick to that!

Glennsallnighter
08-16-2012, 07:35 PM
I too am delighted to hear you are doing so well on this diet PM. Hopefully you can keep it going! And great to hear your successes too TK!

Troub, I think you are right in what you say - its about how you think about food and make the adjustments rather than going on a quick - fix diet that you will starve on. You cannot keep that up for any length of time and eventually you just cave in!

White bread is one of my nemeses, so I just try to avoid it most of the time - an odd bit of French roll is ok, but I cannot do the whole white toast/sandwiches thing every day. I do wholegrain occasionally with better results! Like Soda and Brooke I could NOT give up dairy - I'm a big cheese addict! I could do without meat generally but the rest of the family are BIG carnivores..... so it just isn't worth the hassle!

I also find that making little changes (like not eating chocolate at night - a big thing with us in the past) or using fruit as a sweet after a meal as well as incorporating even a little more exercise (such as walking to the shops instead of driving) can also make a big difference to longterm health, fitness and weight. You don't have to be drastic - just sensible. And of course on a special occasion, you can abandon all diets too!

Brooke
08-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Pm, that's just great! Your meals sound good. It would be a whole new way of cooking and eating. I don't know if I could do that or not. :hmm:

Topkat
08-17-2012, 11:48 AM
I use a mix Cajun Spice that I found & it's just great on any vegetable, or chicken or even eggs. It has Chili, Cayenne, Bay Leaves, Onion, Paprika, salt & garlic. It just makes anything tasty, even something that is really bland.

I also use Salsa as something to spice up anything. It is very low calorie & has a lot of flavor. I usually use this on top of vegetables, a spinach omelette or a boring chicken breast. You just need a little bit to make something boring into something really tasty!

I find these little spices really add a lot of flavor to things that I ordinarily just find too dull & tasteless.

Of course, you have to forget about eating the chips!

Tiffanny Twisted
08-17-2012, 10:22 PM
remember.....you burn more calories when you stand then when you sit.:thumbsup: (it's more work for your body to stay in an upright position than to sit or laydown.)

Grey Sadler
09-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Ok...here's what's going on in Grey Land...sorry so lengthy but it is complicated! :worried:

Back in January, I was about 2-3 weeks into the C25K plan...doing upper body weight machines along with it. Doing pretty well until I tried stepping over a baby gate (I help with the crawlers/walkers nursery at my church). Said gate fell in, and I landed on top of it with my left knee extended (being the leg I was stepping over with). Diagnosis was Patellar Compression Syndrome, so I will be doing PT at home for the duration. Sadly, Miss Grey has totally slacked on it, and needs to start it over ASAP if she wants to get to the "one month pain free" level at which the jogging can resume...

Hence, the weight has crept up a little. Food is another matter, since I have numerous food allergies that range from "have it once in a while but not 2 meals in a row" to "Don't even think about it!!". On the weight loss side, this was so wonderful 10 years ago when I was diagnosed, but everything has crept back up slooowwwly...

SallyGee
09-04-2012, 07:14 PM
GS-Ouch! Hope you are feeling better.
I only let myself watch music DVD's like the Eagles' HFO, Farewell 1, Jackson Browne's Coming Home, etc when I'm on the exercise bike. I keep them in the garage with the bikes so I have to go out there to watch. I don't watch the whole DVD at once, but I will bike a little longer so I can see a certain song. My hubby has a bike out there too. When he bikes with me, we usually watch an episode of Criminal Minds. No commercials so it's 45 mins. He likes the Eagles, but won't watch them several times a week. Just as well, cause he might not understand my squeals when Timothy is on the screen!:grin: So far, I've lost 10 pounds,

Grey Sadler
09-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Woo Hoo! :partytime: I went SWIMMING!!

I managed about 400 yards in 20 minutes at the gym pool (and I realize how bad my form is when I do the crawl/breast stroke)...

AND I signed up for 4 personal training sessions, maybe the trainer they pair me with can give me an alternate workout for my knee :thumbsup:

zeldabjr
09-22-2012, 02:11 PM
GS...I just saw your post about hurting your knee...hope the therapy and swimming helps.

and SG...isn't your husband used to "Timothy squeals" by now?:hilarious:

Troubadour
11-04-2012, 03:16 PM
For anybody who hasn't read Eat To Live or is not familiar with Dr. Joel Fuhrman, this TV special is definitely worth watching. It gives you the basis of the nutritional information and the real science behind it (along with some great success stories!) I have started the six-week detox again this weekend because I felt like I needed a boost, but it has yielded great results in general and I am so, so thankful that I stumbled upon his book last year. It has put everything I already sort of knew into focus and really made a difference to my lifestyle. It's a journey I'm still on but I'm loving it.

The disease prevention/medication stuff in this show is especially powerful.

Here's the link to the first part of the video. There are four parts, which should show up consecutively on YouTube once you've watched this one! Enjoy.

Part One (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LruyZOzpvnI&feature=relmfu)

Prettymaid
11-04-2012, 05:19 PM
I read the book, but will still be watching this when I have time. I'm grateful to Troub for suggesting the book. Although I have added quite a bit back into my diet, I still try to remember to eat mostly plant foods, and have lost 20 pounds. Tuesday will be the first time I have bloodwork done since I started this, and I hope to hear that my bad cholesterol is much lower.

Troubadour
11-04-2012, 05:55 PM
That is fabulous, Cathy! The video is definitely worth watching. It clarified some things for me (and I've read the book a couple of times!) It helps to hear him talking about it, I think. Good luck with the cholesterol.

Prettymaid
11-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Thanks! Good luck with the detox.

Troubadour
11-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Thanks! I may be slightly crazy attempting it in my first week of teaching practice, but hey... by the time Christmas comes round, I'll be thankful I did it. It is so worth it.

sodascouts
11-04-2012, 09:38 PM
I read the book, but will still be watching this when I have time. I'm grateful to Troub for suggesting the book. Although I have added quite a bit back into my diet, I still try to remember to eat mostly plant foods, and have lost 20 pounds. Tuesday will be the first time I have bloodwork done since I started this, and I hope to hear that my bad cholesterol is much lower.

That's fantastic! I can't imagine the cholesterol won't show an improvement.

Brooke
11-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Yes, great job, Pm! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
01-26-2013, 05:40 PM
I mentioned this in another thread but I'm feeling kind of frustrated. I've been hovering around the same weight for months now. I watch what I eat and exercise, but while I can maintain fine, it's so much harder to lose weight now. It takes me three weeks to lose a pound and then it comes right back if I eat a child's size buttered popcorn.... even though I know that popcorn didn't contain a pound's worth of calories. Counting calories doesn't seem to work like it used to. I know I've been exercising enough to burn more than I eat but it's not reflected on the scale. I've been losing and gaining the same two pounds since May. It's very discouraging.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-26-2013, 05:59 PM
I mentioned this in another thread but I'm feeling kind of frustrated. I've been hovering around the same weight for months now. I watch what I eat and exercise, but while I can maintain fine, it's so much harder to lose weight now. It takes me three weeks to lose a pound and then it comes right back if I eat a child's size buttered popcorn.... even though I know that popcorn didn't contain a pound's worth of calories. Counting calories doesn't seem to work like it used to. I know I've been exercising enough to burn more than I eat but it's not reflected on the scale. I've been losing and gaining the same two pounds since May. It's very discouraging.

Maybe try strength training. Building up some muscles will initially put on weight, muscle weight, but it will give your metabolism a real boost and make it easier to lose weight again. Plus, it'll keep what's left toned. Do cardio a couple of times a week, but the rest of the time, lift some weights or wear weights when walking/running.

Topkat
01-26-2013, 06:18 PM

Soda, when I saw you in Sept. you looked like you don't need to lose more weight. You looked great!!! I think when your body reaches a point where there isn't much to lose it just will settle there. It may help to exercise more, but it may not even help much.
I had been working out like crazy & I lost only 3 pounds since the summer. Now with my new job, I took a month off from the gym, & I'm still the same weight. Nothing changed at all even though I wasn't working out.

The weight training will cause muscle & a slight weight gain, but you will also feel more toned which will make you feel better.
Also, doctors say that you get the most from your workout if you do it first thing in the morning...
Don't fall into a trap that you need to be skinny, skinny!!! You look good, so don't get upset over it.

lizzyplays
01-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Soda, the first thing you need to do is stop weighing so often. That's a dieters pitfall right off the bat. Secondly, and I have no idea what you eat so I'm offering blind advice, but search for foods that boost metabolism and burn fat. And of course, the ever popular drink LOTS of water. Also, eat more times, smaller amounts instead of 3 meals per day. And go with the foods that boost energy but NOT the carby kind of energy that makes you crash and burn.

I've been dieting off and on all of my life and as HH and VA can tell you, I'm not petitely built either. (hate to throw in the big boned cliche, but I am!!) :-)
I've tried every fad diet out there but what works is healthy choices!

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like I don't think you know what you're doing. I'm sure you do! I'm just an avid foodie and an avid believer in natural, whole organic foods whenever possible. So, if you ever need suggestions, I'm good at that! lol :thumbsup:

zeldabjr
01-26-2013, 11:03 PM
not sure if this is the right thread to ask this...but has anyone ever tried 5-hour energy?...I keep seeing commercials for it...and am curious but very skeptical about it's uselfulness and safety...

sodascouts
01-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys!

zelda - don't know about that, but I'm suspicious of such things.

Topkat
01-26-2013, 11:37 PM
Zelda, I would say stay away from them. I think they have a very high level of caffine that can be dangerous! Coffee should be enough to keep you going!

lizzyplays
01-26-2013, 11:37 PM
not sure if this is the right thread to ask this...but has anyone ever tried 5-hour energy?...I keep seeing commercials for it...and am curious but very skeptical about it's uselfulness and safety...

Gah!! No use that stuff Zelda! Is nothing of any kind of nutritional value in it and overloading your body with shots of caffeine and sugar is not the way to gain energy. If you need energy booster in the day do it with foods design just for that.

By the way Siri is typing for me so forgive the spelling and grammatical errors

zeldabjr
01-26-2013, 11:57 PM
yeah I think you're right guys...I drink enough (or too much) coffee as it is...don't need any more caffeine...

Grey Sadler
04-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Saturday...I bought a snorkel/mask set at WalMart (in order to do butterfly & crawl w/o killing my neck and back)...
Monday...Finally went back to the gym to swim, made it for 250 yards (5 laps)...
Tonight...went back to double my distance...had trouble with the snorkel tonight but still did 500 yards (10 laps) :D
Saturday...???

Outlawman13
04-18-2013, 06:51 PM
Wow GS!!!!!!!!!! That is very awesome that you do that. Great job on doubling your distance and laps:thumbsup:. I hope you can go farther next time. I always love to challenge myself as well.

Glennsallnighter
04-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Well done GS. I'm going to start running. I did 5 minutes last night and hope to improve on it each evening.

zeldabjr
06-03-2013, 02:04 AM
guess this belongs here...Are all multivitamins the same?...cheaper ones vs. some very pricey ones...I'd like opinions on this...

Prettymaid
06-03-2013, 08:17 AM
I have no idea, but I take Centrum.

HeatherB
06-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Been taking Source of Life Whole Food Vitamins for years. All natural with lots of good things in them. I won't touch those advertised on TV or the ones that are most popular. No good!!

Topkat
06-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Most multivitamins are useless. They don't have enough of any of the vitamins or minerals to make a difference. If you eat right, you don't need to take any vitamins.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-03-2013, 02:55 PM
On the advice of my doctor, I started taking a vitamin because apparently it doesn't matter how well you eat, you don't get enough calcium intake once you pass the age of 50 (according to him). Especially as a few calcium sources are loaded with cholesterol. Anyway, after spending mega money on a bottle of the things (from Costco, so a huge number of tablets) only to find they are so freaking big I can't swallow them. If you don't get them down in a matter of seconds, a horrid taste floats through your mouth. A few weeks ago I told my doctor I wasn't trying any more. You can't see through the bottles and none of the vitamins have the actual size on the bottle. Some of the supplements do, but not all. So I force myself to drink skim milk (I think milk is disgusting and skim is the least disgusting) every day with my bowl of fiber (Cheerios), and told him that would have to do.

I do eat very well, especially as I like nearly all vegetables. Nearly everything you need you can get by eating spinach or broccoli or other greens, and it doesn't 'come right back out' like vitamins do.

Topkat
06-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Be very careful with your intake of calcium..I was also told to take calcium to prevent bone loss...Well, that is until I was in excruciating pain. The cause was linked to kidney stones caused by taking calcium.. I was told to stop taking the calcium.....Now,I don't believe in taking anything unless you are ill with a certain condition. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Sometimes you are doing more harm than good.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-03-2013, 05:34 PM
The bone-density loss issue has been an issue with all the women in my family. My aunt is now over four inches shorter than she was when she was my age. Which I guess is why my doctor is looking at it so hard. Anyway, he said to take a calcium supplement, but I didn't say I'm taking one!! Since I have issues with acid reflux, I take a lot of Tums which are calcium based. That and the diet will have to do! (I've never had children, so the bone loss shouldn't be as much of an issue with me...here's hoping!).

Glennsallnighter
06-19-2013, 04:37 AM
I went on the Atkins (2) diet a few weeks ago. Now I know there are issues with it. But I was getting to the stage where I had put on about 10kg in 2 years since I went back full tim working. Nothing was fitting me and trying on old outfits or clothes in shops was getting embarrassing.

Anyway I'm following the induction stage to the letter, drinking a lot of water and have increased my exercise. And surprise!! It's working. I've dropped 4.5 Kg and yesterday bought a pair of jeans that are a dress size below my last pair.

I'm at the stage where I don't even miss chocolate, candy or alcohol.

Houston Baby
06-19-2013, 06:17 AM
:yay: GA!! That's great! I have heard of Atkins but never tried it. I definitely need to try something.

Outlawman13
06-19-2013, 07:24 AM
Good job GA!! Keep it up!!

Prettymaid
06-19-2013, 09:24 AM
That's great GA! I applaud anyone who has the willpower to stick to a plan long enough to see results. :applause:

Brooke
06-19-2013, 11:09 AM
Ga, congrats to you! Well done!

This thing with supplements is very confusing. I have heard that it's true that taking a multi vitamin is pretty much useless, but I take a generic one every day. I also take calcium and vitamin c. Now, I'm superstitious and very leery of saying this, but I'm never sick, rarely. I didn't have one cold this past year. I also didn't have the stomach flu. I feel like this is one of the reasons. :shrug:

:fear: Now I'll probably come down with something horrible since I've written this down!

Topkat
06-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Ga, congrats to you! Well done!

This thing with supplements is very confusing. I have heard that it's true that taking a multi vitamin is pretty much useless, but I take a generic one every day. I also take calcium and vitamin c. Now, I'm superstitious and very leery of saying this, but I'm never sick, rarely. I didn't have one cold this past year. I also didn't have the stomach flu. I feel like this is one of the reasons. :shrug:

:fear: Now I'll probably come down with something horrible since I've written this down!

GA, Congratulations on losing some weight.
Brooke; I don't want to jinx myself either, but I haven't been sick at all either & I don't take any vitamins or calcium, or anything....I think the key to not getting the flu or colds is to wash your hands a lot because you usually pick these things up from other people by touching things, and believe me I am exposed to a lot of germs...I ride the NYC subway every day..LOL Stomach flu is also contagious...
Now I hope I don't come down with anything! LOL:hilarious:

Troubadour
06-19-2013, 02:17 PM
You're doing great, GA! Congrats on the weight loss. Once this placement ends, I am really going to up the exercise. Need to be fit for my holiday in July and CSN in October! (Nothing like a front row concert to get you motivated!)

Glennsallnighter
06-21-2013, 05:11 AM
Thanks girls, it's not a bad diet coz you don't feel hungry so you aren't craving for sweet stuff etc.

Now I have an added incentive to keep going

Madison Square Gardens in November!

Troubadour
06-23-2013, 06:35 AM
Placement has finished, so there are no more excuses! I am going back on the Eat to Live detox and trying to get in as much exercise as possible. I am down a few pounds today, so that's encouraging, but I am really determined to step it up now. I want to be as fit as I can be. My upcoming holiday and front row concert are great, immediate motivators, but it's about so much more than that.

Glennsallnighter
06-23-2013, 09:27 AM
Oh good luck Troub! And we'll done on a good start.

Troubadour
06-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Thanks, GA. I'm just heading out now for a long walk in the park with a friend. Weather isn't great but I don't mind! Need a good dose of fresh air. :)

zeldabjr
06-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks girls, it's not a bad diet coz you don't feel hungry so you aren't craving for sweet stuff etc.

Now I have an added incentive to keep going

Madison Square Gardens in November!

so glad you're coming in Nov!!!!

Prettymaid
06-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Does anyone use tofu in their cooking? I've never tried it before. The things we have tried and liked from the vegetarian frozen foods section is the Boca Burgers, the Boca Chicken Burgers and the 'crumbles' to substitute for ground meat in meals like stews and chilis.

I also try to make a lot of meatless dinners, eat a lot of fruit and vegetables. But I know that my idea of "a lot" doesn't come close to the Eat To Live program! I've never felt better than when I was on that program, but unfortunately it's something I couldn't maintain for more than three months. But, I will say this - I eat healthier than almost everyone I work with! ;-)

Troubadour
06-23-2013, 02:47 PM
I don't really use tofu because I've never liked it - I think it's the texture - but I do use soya mince crumbles. They're great for chillies and all kinds of other things. I buy the plain ones with nothing else added (Quorn adds dried egg and milk powder.)

Tofu is great health-wise and it is good for bulking up stir-fries or for putting in wraps (kind of like chicken pieces). Try it - hopefully you'll like it more than I do! ;)

As for the Eat to Live plan... I am still so pleased that you tried it, Cathy, and had such great results. I am still working on my ETL journey, so I totally get that it can seem a bit daunting/unattainable in the long-term. I do think the more you do it, the better you feel, the easier it is to carry on with, etc. But don't feel that you have to aim for 100% - the 80/20 rule seems like a pretty good thing to abide by in the long-term. The point is, if you're eating more fruit and veg and introducing the principles into your life somehow, you're doing a great job!

Prettymaid
06-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Thanks Troub.

Maybe you could give me an example of what your usual breakfast, lunch and dinner consists of, it would help me with my meal planning.

My breakfast almost always is a small amount of granola cereal with lots of fresh blueberries or raisins, a banana, and a cup of tea.

Lunch is the most difficult for me to figure out. Usually I am not that hungry, but I always have something - either a green salad with a Boca chicken burger sliced and added to it, or some macaroni salad with cheese and crackers. I have to eat something or I'll be starving by dinner. I'm lucky that I live close enough to work that I can come home for lunch every day.

Fortunately, Mr. Prettymaid is on the same page as I am as far as eating healthy, so dinner is usually pasta, or either fish or chicken with a garden salad or vegetable.

I also have to add that I have noticed that as I got into my forties and fifties it is harder to keep the weight off. But I'm tryin'!

Troubadour
06-23-2013, 03:52 PM
Well, that meal plan sounds very healthy to me!

Breakfast for me is usually either fruit salad, porridge (plain oats with a bit of agave/maple syrup, chopped walnuts and dates - really filling!) or Kallo's wholegrain brown puffed rice cereal.

Lunch would be salad with perhaps some lentils (I've found these sachets of puy lentils that you can microwave, which are really handy for taking to work) or mediterranean couscous or a combination of quinoa and chickpeas (again, microwavable sachets with barely any additives. Waitrose sells them, but you could easily make up your own batch of any of these things.) I will usually have fruit for dessert, maybe a couple of clementines or some grapes or blueberries.

Dinner might be a pasta dish with veg and chopped tomatoes (onion, garlic, mushrooms, spinach) and salad, or maybe a baked potato or stuffed pepper. If I'm not following the plan strictly I might have a veggie burger or veggie pie with roast potatoes and veg.

Snacks will be fruit (any kind and as much as you want), dates, olives and unsalted nuts or seeds. I stick to a small handful of nuts per day and try to limit my intake of grains to one serving a day. For example, I would try not to have pasta for dinner as well as quinoa or bread for lunch. I barely eat bread and also just read food packets carefully for additives - I try to only buy food with the least amount of ingredients so that sodium and oils are limited. (This has become habit now and really isn't as much work as it sounds!)

Other ideas for meals are sweet chilli wraps (with peppers and soya/tofu pieces inside), veggie chilli, spaghetti bolognese with soya mince, stir-fries, any Indian dishes like dhal or any kind of curry... I can dig out some curry recipes if you would like. Once you have the basics, it's easy to make a big pot of curry and you can customise it each time, using whatever veg you have. Soups are also a staple - I'd recommend making a big pot of soup at the weekend, either vegetable or lentil, and freezing it for the week so that there is always something at home if you need it. Soups are perfect for lunch, too. I make a broccoli, leek and pea soup which is delicious, super healthy and really filling.

If you have a decent blender, you could also try adding a green smoothie or 'blended salad' into your routine. You get a load of nutrients in without having to munch your way through huge salads, and they are filling and give you a boost of energy. You can really add anything - berries with banana and some spinach, for example - or just baby greens with oranges (I've found that the latter works really well and tastes really good. The citrus is quite powerful and you really don't taste the greens that much!) It's trial and error, but blended salads are great and you might find that they suffice for lunch, especially if you say you are not usually that hungry.

Prettymaid
06-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Yes, I need to remember that if I have grains in the morning I shouldn't have them for lunch or dinner. I think my problem there is that my breakfast is very routine, and I can't imagine not having cereal!

Thanks for responding, Troub. Hopefully others here also will benefit from your post.

sodascouts
07-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Well I have some bad news. As some of you know I've been able to keep my weight down for a year now. When I went to Africa, however, I decided I needed to have energy to do all that mission work and I basically ate whatever I was given (I also didn't want to waste food when there were so many hungry). I continued that trend in Louisville, eating away! When I weighed today, I found out that in just a few weeks, I've gained EIGHT POUNDS. I haven't weighed this much in 18 months. I'm kind of freaking out but I know I can lose it again. It just amazes me how you can't be less than diligent even for a short time without awful consequences!

Topkat
07-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Soda, now that you are home, you will be back on track with your eating, so hopefully you will lose the weight. It's very hard to watch what you eat on a vacation,
I gained 5 pounds since last summer, but I have to admit that my workouts had been cut down a lot since I'm working full time.
I have been swimming a lot lately & next week we have water Zumba starting so I'm hoping to lose a few pounds. I have a hard time losing even 2 or 3 pounds.

Brooke
07-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Soda, good thing you checked. I'm sure now that you're home you will get right back on track and take it right off. You can do it! You know you can! :thumbsup:

Outlawman13
07-08-2013, 03:38 PM
I know you can do it Nancy!!!

Troubadour
07-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Weight can fluctuate a lot, even within the space of a day, so if those eight pounds went on quickly, they won't take long to lose. It is definitely hard to keep to your usual habits when travelling or working hard. Just carry on as you were and those extra pounds will melt away! I'm right there with you on trying to lose some excess weight.

Houston Baby
07-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Nancy - I know you will want to lose those few lbs but honestly I did NOT notice them & I saw you right before you left for South Africa. You looked FABULOUS in Louisville! :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
07-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Agreed. Don't overdo it Nancy. You looked great, but you sure didn't look like you need to lose more!

sodascouts
07-08-2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks ladies!

HB - funny enough, I was even wearing the same dress! lol

Houston Baby
07-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Thanks ladies!

HB - funny enough, I was even wearing the same dress! lol

Dawlin' - you look so great in that sundress you need to wear it LOTS!
But I do not see how you can dance in those high heels & I saw you dancing during the concert - LOL!
I would get altitude sickness in those cute shoes they are so high! :hilarious:

sodascouts
07-09-2013, 12:05 PM
It takes practice, lol!

Grey Sadler
07-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Hey kids...after some setbacks (allergies, Dad's stent procedure, etc), I'm finally back with a regular routine--2 sets of weights/bands/reverse crunches that I started last year when I bought a month of personal training sessions...then 300 yards (6 laps) in the pool...trying for 3 times/week...so far so good (but I really want to get under 150 lb!)...

I'm also trying the "Dr. Oz belly-fat-buster" drink (1 cup grapefruit juice, 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar, 2 tsp. honey) before each "big" meal...I think the point is to kill your taste buds for the food, because it is not the best tasting concoction in the world :-x :lol:

Troubadour
07-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Congrats on getting back into your routine, GS! I'm sure you'll see great results in no time.

Prettymaid
07-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Hey kids...after some setbacks (allergies, Dad's stent procedure, etc), I'm finally back with a regular routine--2 sets of weights/bands/reverse crunches that I started last year when I bought a month of personal training sessions...then 300 yards (6 laps) in the pool...trying for 3 times/week...so far so good (but I really want to get under 150 lb!)...

I'm also trying the "Dr. Oz belly-fat-buster" drink (1 cup grapefruit juice, 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar, 2 tsp. honey) before each "big" meal...I think the point is to kill your taste buds for the food, because it is not the best tasting concoction in the world :-x :lol:

Good luck with your routine, GS. Everything sounds great except for that belly fat buster drink. :yuck: I think I'll just stick to eating smaller portions. :D

Houston Baby
07-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Way to go GS! Just getting started is hard but it sounds like you have definitely started. :thumbsup:

Glennsallnighter
07-11-2013, 03:01 AM
Well done GS! Hope you manage to keep up the routine!

sodascouts
07-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Well, I guess I panicked prematurely because most of it must have been waterweight or something. After just a few days of eating nothing but low calorie healthy food, I lost three pounds. Again, that's not normal and I'm not starving myself or exercising crazily (having 1200 calories a day and jogging for about 20 minutes), so I guess I really didn't gain as much as I thought!

I did, however, cut back on - gasp - SODA!

Houston Baby
07-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Well, I guess I panicked prematurely because most of it must have been waterweight or something. After just a few days of eating nothing but low calorie healthy food, I lost three pounds. Again, that's not normal and I'm not starving myself or exercising crazily (having 1200 calories a day and jogging for about 20 minutes), so I guess I really didn't gain as much as I thought!

BTW Nancy - did you eat the M&Ms? :wink:

Troubadour
07-12-2013, 04:53 PM

Yep - weight doesn't really go on that quickly. Most of it would have been water weight, like you said! Well done on getting some of it off.

sodascouts
07-12-2013, 06:57 PM
BTW Nancy - did you eat the M&Ms? :wink:

lol! No, those remain untouched.... for now. ;)

Prettymaid
07-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Mine are half gone. :mrgreen:

Houston Baby
07-12-2013, 08:38 PM
When I got back to work Monday, that was the first thing one of my co-workers asked me - "Did you give away all those Eagles' M&Ms?"
They informed me that I was supposed to bring some back for them, to which I replied "sorry those were for Eagles' die hards!" :hilarious:

Prettymaid
07-12-2013, 08:40 PM
It was a great idea, HB!

Houston Baby
07-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Thank you PM! I loved doing it for such great people!

You are sharing those with your sweet better half, right? :eyebrow:

Prettymaid
07-12-2013, 09:06 PM
But of course! He doesn't have the sweet tooth I do, though! ;-)

AlreadyGone95
06-21-2015, 09:10 PM
I've been thinking about nutrition and healthy living over the past week. (I always do around summertime). Then, I find out that there's a thread on here for it. Granted it's been almost 2 years since someone posted in it, but I can revive it.

Well here's my story/situation

Eating right:
I grew up lower middle class/poor. I received free breakfast and lunch at school. The food itself was ok/good. Nutrition wise, it was probably subpar, but it's all I had to eat, so I didn't look a gift horse in the mouth(meaning I didn't complain). To me, food was food and I was grateful for it.
My mom is very overweight. I never saw nor tasted many veggies or fruits at home. My dad wouldn't eat any veggies. From what people have told me, my eating habits as a baby/toddler were not appropriate for my age. I grew up eating southern food, and I love it. My mom cooked almost every night, but it was standard American food (burgers, tacos, meatloaf, spaghetti etc). There was no variety. It was the same food on a weekly basis. I never questioned it because if I did, I wouldn't get any supper (yup even in the 21st century that punishment is still around). Basically, it was eat whatever mom made. Occasionally,(a couple times a month), we'd have fend nights, and I'd eat whatever was around that I wanted.
By middle school, I was set in my ways. I didn't want to try new thinhgs. My parents let me drink soda alot, and eventually, I got addicted. 10 years later, and I'm still drinking soda daily. My uncle tried to intervene (which my mom was against), and he did manage to get me liking some fruit and vegetables.
He got me thinking about nutrition, and wanting to make a few changes to my diet (ie: less fried foods). By the time I dropped out of school, I found out that was moderately allergic to wheat. (I can eat a sandwich a day without problems). My mom didn't care(or didn't understand ) and she would still buy stuff fill of wheat and expect me to eat it! We've always been on a budget, and since wgeat free products are more expensive, I have to put up with migraine like headaches.
I've made some suggestions to my mom about eating better, but it falls on deaf ears. My mom is very controlling, and she controls the grocery list, so I can't get what I'd like to have. Even now, she still won't budge much. I can choose my snack food and my "fend" meals. Unfortunately, our budget doesn't allow much good food. I have to eat a lotof processed stuff. I practically live on luncheon meat. Land meat (beef pork chicken) those 3 are the only kinds of meat my mom buys for us. I can't cook much because of a physical disability, so I eat whatever she cooks.

Exercise/health:
Until I was a teenager, I played outside daily at school. Then, I no longer had recess. I had no friends and by that time, my brother had left, so I had no one to play with. Then my mom got DSL internet connection, and I forgot about the great outdoors.
Now, I'm couch(well bedroom) potato. It's not that I dislike exercising, it's that its too hot, or my disability keeps me from exercising, or something else. Suffice it to say that I don't get encouragement about hardly anything from my mom. In fact, I usually get the opposite.
Actually, in the summertime I loose weight because I sweat so much in bedroom. There's no central a/c, so my room usually gets up to 90 F and I sweat so much, doing nothing.

I'd love to change things, but it's just not feasible now. I have some horrible digestive problems that never got resolved. I know that I have have GERD since before I became a teenager. I'm sure that whatever is wrong with my digestive tract is probably related to my extremely poor diet as a kid. Whatever it is, I lost 25 pounds in a month without trying. (Not good I know). I find that I have no energy and feel extremely weak. According to my mom, I've had it for several years, so it's not life threatening. (Semi nice way of saying suck it up buttercup ).

Anyways, sorry for the essay. I just thought that I'd talk about my experiences with trying to maintain health.