PDA

View Full Version : Timothy in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Funk 50
07-15-2017, 06:29 AM
Just read about Rusty's new album, Waitin' For The Sun Thanks NightMistBlue :-)

I don't think it'll be too far away from the Poco mould.

billboard has My Friend "which features Poco alumni Richie Furay and Timothy B. Schmit on backing vocals" It immediately has me thinking of Tim's Red Dirt Road.

http://927thedrive.net/news/classic-rock-news/c52491999e8ec18cc3485678bd9eeff2

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/country/7866014/rusty-young-my-friend-premiere

I didn't realise Poco were still going 8)

NightMistBlue
07-19-2017, 02:48 PM
I didn't realise Poco were still going 8)

Yeah, I thought Rusty retired a couple years ago? He's allowed to change his mind though.

Brooke
07-20-2017, 12:09 PM
They still tour some. They are in Missouri in October. Thinking about going!

Roey
07-20-2017, 08:19 PM
I saw Poco a few months back. Rusty Young is a comedian. His song "Neil Young is not my brother" is hysterical. When introducing the band members, he mentioned the name of the band the drummer was formerly with and said that Poco had to trade 2 bass players to some other band for him. Got a big laugh. He dedicated different songs to Randy, Timothy and Richie Ironically it was in the same venue I saw TBS and Richie Furay a month later. The venue is small so we bought the cheaper balcony tickets and enjoyed the show.

Have fun if you decide to go Brooke !

SilverMoon
10-13-2017, 09:34 AM
Timothy and his friend Mark Hudson were guests at an event called Nashville To New York on 12 July 2016. The event is held quarterly at The Cutting Room in New York City and is hosted by singer-songwriters Gary Burr and Georgia Middleman. Here’s a review:

http://www.elmoremagazine.com/2016/07/reviews/shows/georgia-middleman-and-gary-burrs-nashville-to-new-york

Further adding to the musical gumbo, guests hopped up from the audience to join the foursome on stage. Manhattan-born Victoria Shaw sat down at the piano and delivered “I Love The Way You Love Me,” a ballad as worthy of Broadway as country music radio. And Mark Hudson, a long-time musical associate of Ringo Starr (and Kate Hudson’s uncle), added even more spice as he told the hilarious tale of failing to sell a “sure-fire hit” he’d written to Don Henley and the Eagles. To demonstrate just how great the song would have sounded with the Eagles’ trademark harmonies, he summoned Timothy B. Schmit to the stage to create a short but very sweet three-part harmony.

sodascouts
10-14-2017, 11:52 AM
How interesting - I wonder what the song was? Timothy seemed to know it.

WKMB55
10-14-2017, 09:18 PM
I looked up "The Cutting Room" on Facebook and there is a short video of Mark Hudson and Timothy singing. Also I Googled "Mark Hudson and Timothy B. Schmit at the Iridium" and toward the end of the video Timothy is on for a few minutes and he and Mark are singing the same song. I hope this is helpful.

On my smartphone, when I went to the Facebook site I chose "see all videos". They all came up small and hard to see. On my phone the Hudson/Schmit video was 7 rows down on the far right.

MaryCalifornia
10-14-2017, 10:11 PM
Here you go - 6th row down on the desktop computer version

https://www.facebook.com/pg/CuttingRoomNYC/videos/?ref=page_internal

tbsfan
11-25-2017, 06:55 PM
Timothy will be a guest on Jim Ladd's show on Sirius channel 27 Monday night. The show is from 4:00 - 8:00 pm (Pacific time) with Timothy coming on live around 6:00.

https://twitter.com/JimLaddRocks/status/934513669026623489

tbsfan
12-11-2017, 04:35 PM
Great interview with Timothy on The Tully Show, which can be found on Sirius On Demand and iTunes podcasts.

https://twitter.com/tully/status/939180847004991489

shunlvswx
12-13-2017, 02:26 PM
Attention all Timothy fans. If you have Sirius, Timothy's guest DJ show is this afternoon at 5:00pm Eastern/4:00pm Central.

LuvTim
12-13-2017, 07:40 PM
Attention all Timothy fans. If you have Sirius, Timothy's guest DJ show is this afternoon at 5:00pm Eastern/4:00pm Central.

And he was fabulous!!

Thanks, Shun!

shunlvswx
12-13-2017, 07:53 PM
I agree. I love the story of how everything came together for him to join the Eagles and him already knew he was going to get the call before he was told (thanks to his neighbor JD Souther). He had to keep the excitement in before he finally got the call.

MaryCalifornia
12-13-2017, 09:05 PM
I love hearing that story, Shun. Can you imagine? Hearing that the Eagles are going to call you? I just think that and the couple years following must have been the most exciting time in his life, in a big way! Right after Hotel California...it's crazy.

I saw you posted that he said he was still married to his first wife when he joined the Eagles. I wonder what caused him to say that on the Sirius show?! What an odd thing to bring up! Does he feel bad because she died and he's acknowledging her to Jeddrah? Was there more context?

I believe they had been separated for a long time and were legally married into the 80s.

MaryCalifornia
12-13-2017, 09:54 PM
Does Timothy have new music coming out?

I just caught part of his Sirius show and he said he asked Mavis Staples to sing on one of his songs and she is going to. Maybe he just means in a show. Maybe it's White Boy, that would be awesome.

MaryCalifornia
12-14-2017, 12:03 AM
I just listened to the Mike Tully podcast interview with Timothy, and YES, does have new music coming out, he is working on his next album and will be doing so in the new year before the Eagles tour starts up. Yay!

He also said that when his dad stopped playing music, his health started to rapidly decline. TBS said he learned from that and that is why he continues to play. He said he is still interested in music and is getting better at it. He thinks about himself in his 20s and says he didn't know anything. He also acknowledged that every night the Eagles play a show, there are thousands of people who have never seen them play Hotel California live, and that's what keeps it interesting - the fan reaction to the songs, all of the songs. He said it is just huge, the demand to see them. He doesn't know when they'll stop. I'm paraphrasing - it's a good interview if you haven't listened yet.

I'm just going to keep replying to my own posts LOL

shunlvswx
12-14-2017, 12:32 AM
I love hearing that story, Shun. Can you imagine? Hearing that the Eagles are going to call you? I just think that and the couple years following must have been the most exciting time in his life, in a big way! Right after Hotel California...it's crazy.

I saw you posted that he said he was still married to his first wife when he joined the Eagles. I wonder what caused him to say that on the Sirius show?! What an odd thing to bring up! Does he feel bad because she died and he's acknowledging her to Jeddrah? Was there more context?

I believe they had been separated for a long time and were legally married into the 80s.

From what I remembered (I need to rehear the show because I was at work and I really couldn't turn the volume up and I also was driving when I listen to the rest of the show), he was just telling the story of how he became a member of the Eagles. He was looking for new opportunities since Poco's popularity was dropping, they weren't packing the places and weren't making much money. Somewhere in there he brought up his wife and daughter were on vacation and he was at home by himself. He went over to JD's house (who were neighbors. Who wasn't neighbors with JD in the 70s :lol:) to hang out. Then he brought up that JD had a secret, but didn't know he should tell Timothy, but went ahead and told Timothy that their was a possibility of him getting a call to join the Eagles and of course Timothy got the call later (I don't know how long in between he had to wait). Then it tied into the last song, Please Come Home For Christmas which was his first recording as an Eagle.

That was actually new to me. I only heard about the story of Glenn telling Irving he wanted to get Timothy to replace Randy and Irving thinking it wasn't a good idea. You learn so much from these guest DJ shows.

That was also interesting that he was still married to his first wife when he joined the Eagles. So I guess something happened (or they already separated when he got the call) after that because he was with Jean during the softball game months later.

I didn't know his first wife is dead.

WKMB55
12-14-2017, 01:03 AM
I have an acquaintance who lives in Costa Rica. They told me that Timothy's ex-wife resided there for a number of years before her passing in the early months of 2015.

MaryCalifornia
12-14-2017, 02:30 AM
I have an acquaintance who lives in Costa Rica. They told me that Timothy's ex-wife resided there for a number of years before her passing in the early months of 2015.

Yes, I saw some posts on public social media about her living there.

LuvTim
12-14-2017, 02:46 AM
I just got around to listening to the Tully podcast. I always enjoy TBS interviews but this one was particularly interesting, imo. It was more than the same old questions with the same old approach. Good. :-)

FannyBeTender
12-14-2017, 11:19 PM
I actually posted this in the "Eagles Radio Sirius Channel 30 November 17, 2017" thread first, but since you guys were discussing it (Timothy's first marriage) here, I figured I'd post the links here too.

In this interview (http://timothybschmitfans.com/otr1101.html) Timothy says:

Yeah, well, during that 13 years, I spent a lot of time hoping and wishing that it would. I was really humbled during that time. My whole lifestyle changed. I started hustling, started, you know, I was singing for people I probably wouldn't normally sing for. I did it just because I didn't want to do anything other than the music. After the band broke up, I was going through a horrible divorce. I lost a lot of stuff. I lost houses. I lost my record deal after my first solo album. Things were just, like, not lookin’ that good, except for the fact that I was with-who is my wife now-I was just starting to be with her and she was...that was the great part of my life then; and we eventually had a child and then a second child.

In a more recent interview(https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbi...solo-career/):

Next we wind the clock back to ’77 and Schmit’s thoughts on first becoming an Eagle.

He remembers meeting his current partner Jean around the same time and she put everything in perspective.

“My wife and I were just getting to know each other.

When I told her what I did, she was so unimpressed and I found that really attractive.

“She said, ‘I heard you’re joining the Eagles, are you sure about that?’ because she didn’t like them very much.

“But she’s very encouraging of my whole solo thing. She knows it’s part of my happiness. We’ve known each other a long time and we’re best friends.”

So I'm guessing (and it really is just a guess) it was shortly after joining the Eagles that he and his first wife separated, and that he started seeing Jean around the same time.

New Kid In Town
12-15-2017, 11:10 AM
Quote Shun : He didn't know his first wife is dead.

Didn't his daughter keep in touch with her mother ? Sounds like it was a very messy divorce, loosing houses and a record deal. Wonder what the divorce had to do with the record deal.

shunlvswx
12-15-2017, 11:18 AM
Oops. I meant I didn't know his first wife was dead. I'm about to change that right now. I don't know how I miss that mistake.

shunlvswx
12-15-2017, 11:21 AM
NKIT. I went back and changed the he to I. I didn't know I wrote he instead of I when I typed it.

New Kid In Town
12-15-2017, 11:59 AM
NKIT. I went back and changed the he to I. I didn't know I wrote he instead of I when I typed it.

That's ok Shun. Thank You so much for all the up dates. Like I said before, I don't have Sirius radio so I appreciate everyone's up dates. I wish I could hear Bob, I would love to hear what he had to say. JD must have been great too. Thanks again everyone.

Dawn
12-15-2017, 03:58 PM
I actually posted this in the "Eagles Radio Sirius Channel 30 November 17, 2017" thread first, but since you guys were discussing it (Timothy's first marriage) here, I figured I'd post the links here too.

In a more recent interview(https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbi...solo-career/):

So I'm guessing (and it really is just a guess) it was shortly after joining the Eagles that he and his first wife separated, and that he started seeing Jean around the same time.

I have no idea, his wife Jean is a lovely lady and they seem like they have a great relationship.

Love your name ... I miss Mo and Robin Gibb alot, they were both so incredibly talented and left this world far too soon.

Delilah
12-15-2017, 04:20 PM

Thanks for posting this, FannyBeTender (one of my favorite Bee Gees songs btw). This helps clear things up. So funny that Jean wasn’t a fan of the Eagles at the time. Hopefully she’s changed her mind, lol.

And welcome to the board!

Sounds like it was a very messy divorce, loosing houses and a record deal. Wonder what the divorce had to do with the record deal.

I don’t think the divorce was related to losing the record deal (I wonder if that was separate from his obligation to Electra). I think he was just talking about the struggles he was dealing with around the same time.

FannyBeTender
12-15-2017, 04:31 PM
I have no idea, his wife Jean is a lovely lady and they seem like they have a great relationship.

Love your name ... I miss Mo and Robin Gibb alot, they were both so incredibly talented and left this world far too soon.

I agree she is a lovely lady. They make a wonderful couple. :smile:

And the Bee Gees are my favorite band. I adore Maurice and Robin. Agree that they left this world far too soon.

FannyBeTender
01-14-2018, 10:21 PM
Don't know if you guys saw this article before:

Conversations With Delta Lady Rita Coolidge, Poco’s Rusty Young And 10cc’s Kevin Godley, Plus A Deni Bonet Exclusive

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/conversations-with-delta-lady-rita-coolidge-pocos_us_59a81ce4e4b02498834a8f26

Rusty Young mentions Timothy (and Randy) a few times:

RY: Yeah, the interesting thing is that of all the guys in the band, I’m the only one who hasn’t done solo records. When Jimmy Messina left the band [Poco], he did his stuff with Loggins & Messina and all his solo records. Randy Meisner, when he left, he did all his stuff with the Eagles—like “Take It To The Limit”—and then he did his solo stuff. Richie Furay, too, with all his solo stuff, and Paul Cotton, and Tim Schmit. All these guys have gone above and beyond Poco.

MR: With that in mind, was your song “My Friend” a bit of a nod to all those friends?

RY: That’s exactly it. I wanted to write a song about these last years. I’m still friends with Richie, Tim and Jimmy. Richie and I still play together once in a while. Tim will pop up. I play shows with Messina once in a while, we’re all friends. I think about the days when we were all struggling in the late sixties and early seventies, barely making it, trying to put Poco together and finding the right people and the right chemistry. All that we’d been through all these years, if you think about it, everybody’s been so successful. All have succeeded. It’s so lucky. How many other bands have that fortune?

MR: Do you feel that Poco, in its fifty-year existence, has been a training ground for artists to go on to huge acts like The Eagles or Loggins & Messina?

RY: It kind of has, hasn’t it? I just think there was probably too much talent for it to last. When Jimmy left and did his Loggins & Messina thing, he couldn’t have done that in Poco. It was just too big. Same thing with the Eagles, with Timothy B. and Randy Meisner. They are so talented. It was great for them to be able to do that and record their solo records. I think that at several points during our tenure, the guys in the band were just so talented, they had to move on. Listen, if the Eagles called you up and said, “Hey, you wanna come play?” I don’t think many people would’ve said, “No.”

MR: I was introduced to Poco as a kid with your A Good Feelin’ To Know album. That was another one with a lot of potential hits. And it seems like many artists tried to cover that project’s “I Can See Everything.” I’m still waiting for that song to be a hit.

RY: [laughs] The funny thing is that was such a great Timothy B. song and when he did “I Can’t Tell You Why,” I’m thinking, “Why wasn’t ‘I Can See Everything’ a hit? He sang it so well and everything on it was really cool.”

MR: You guys are like a 101 for many. “You wanna learn how to sing vocal harmonies? Go look at Poco.”

RY: Oh, thanks. I had a lot of great teachers. All those guys sang so well. Richie Furay and Tim Schmit... Randy Meisner’s one of my favorite singers of all time. I love his voice. Paul Cotton, of course, has that great, huge voice. I got to watch these guys put vocals together and harmonies, primarily Richie Furay. I learned from those guys. It’s really fun to do.

LuvTim
01-15-2018, 12:49 AM
^ Lovely. Thanks so much!

sodascouts
01-16-2018, 07:25 PM
Thanks for taking the time to post that, FBT! I love reading those kind of tidbits.

FannyBeTender
01-19-2018, 08:51 AM
Interview with Timothy's drummer, Herman Matthews:

http://entertalkradio.com/jackiesgroove/herman-matthews/

He and the interviewer start discussing Timothy B. around the 1 hour, 13 minute mark.

LuvTim
01-19-2018, 05:20 PM
Interview with Timothy's drummer, Herman Matthews:

http://entertalkradio.com/jackiesgroove/herman-matthews/

He and the interviewer start discussing Timothy B. around the 1 hour, 13 minute mark.

Awww, man, that was crazy cool, FBT! Many thanks for again sharing with us here!
You just gotta love Herman Matthews! 8) So grateful for his collaboration with Timothy B:heart:!

sodascouts
01-19-2018, 09:51 PM
Much appreciated, Fanny!

tbsfan
11-23-2019, 10:55 AM
Timothy did an interview this week with Kaua'i Community Radio where he talked about "The Good Fight", Kaua'i, music and other things. His part begins about eight minutes in, https://kkcr.org/archive/timothyschmit112119.mp3

A couple of photos are on their home page, https://www.kkcr.org/.

LuvTim
11-23-2019, 08:57 PM
Timothy did an interview this week with Kaua'i Community Radio where he talked about "The Good Fight", Kaua'i, music and other things. His part begins about eight minutes in, https://kkcr.org/archive/timothyschmit112119.mp3

A couple of photos are on their home page, https://www.kkcr.org/.

Nice photos! Thanks! 😊

Ive always been a dreamer
12-02-2019, 08:49 PM
I'm quite late with this, but thanks for posting that link, tbsfan. I finally got around to listening to it.

NightMistBlue
12-05-2019, 12:36 PM
How cool! Many thanks.

How bleepin' amazing that he played a private show for Jimi Hendrix!

NightMistBlue
04-29-2021, 07:01 PM
Timothy “The B Stands for Babe” Schmit and Bernie Leadon will be among those participating this Sunday May 2nd in a tribute to Poco’s Rusty Young: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=312622056887124&id=100044179972032

LuvTim
05-01-2021, 08:30 PM
Timothy “The B Stands for Babe” Schmit and Bernie Leadon will be among those participating this Sunday May 2nd in a tribute to Poco’s Rusty Young: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=312622056887124&id=100044179972032
Awww....so sweet.
Thanks for letting us know, NMB!

KingWalsh
05-02-2021, 05:10 PM
Very Nice thanks for the heads up NMB

NightMistBlue
05-04-2021, 11:15 PM
My pleasure, Luvy!

FreyFollower
05-05-2021, 10:17 AM
Sounds really good. I hope it will be made available for later listening. Had to work.

tbsfan
05-18-2023, 08:22 PM
Fun new interview with Timothy on License to Chill: The Margaritaville Podcast. You can find it wherever you get your podcasts, or on SiriusXM. Not sure I've ever heard Timothy so loose, and he told a funny story about Jimmy Buffett.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsTupWju351/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
https://www.instagram.com/p/CsUia3Uuu9w/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

FreyFollower
05-25-2023, 12:49 AM
I haven't looked at instagram in a long time, and it wouldn't let me log on. I'm glad to hear he seems to be doing well. Also glad to hear from you, tbsfan!:nod:

tbsfan
05-25-2023, 09:53 PM
I haven't looked at instagram in a long time, and it wouldn't let me log on. I'm glad to hear he seems to be doing well. Also glad to hear from you, tbsfan!:nod:

Thanks. The Instagram link is just a photo of Timothy with the two interviewers. You can find the podcast wherever you listen to podcasts.