PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of "One of These Nights"!

Pages : [1] 2

sodascouts
06-10-2009, 01:06 AM
34 years ago today, One of These Nights was released.

It's easy for me to identify what I love most about this album: Take It to the Limit. A masterpiece that is my favorite Eagles song from any album - and that's just one of many gems.

I'll write more when I have more time.... there's certainly more to say!

luvthelighthouse
06-10-2009, 01:11 AM
I think you mean 34 years ago... :)

I'm loving your new avatar too...

sodascouts
06-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Oops! Fixed. Math is not my forte. ;)

Freypower
06-10-2009, 01:22 AM
I happen to have the OOTN board style at the moment, which is convenient.

But OOTN is my least favourite Eagles album. Take away the Big Three songs and there isn't that much else that I can classify as favourites.

I will do a summary but I will make it brief.

One Of These Nights - still a classic. Great song.
Too Many Hands - very underrated with good lyrics and guitar work.
Hollywood Waltz - in my opinion far too slow and similar to Saturday Night, but lyrically foreshadows the next album.
Journey Of The Sorcerer - OK, it's different. I give it credit for that but I can't say I'm very fond of it.
Lyin' Eyes - what else needs to be said about this total masterpiece (yes, I'm biased here. I loved the song from the minute I heard it and I will never tire of it).
Take It To The Limit - another classic.
After The Thrill Is Gone - I know a lot of people love this. I'm afraid it has never been a favourite.
Visions - Felder's only lead vocal has nice moments but it is a throwaway.
I Wish You Peace - ahem. My least favourite Eagles song.

Koala
06-10-2009, 03:30 AM
I love the whole album, but especially my favorite songs are One of this Nights, Lyin 'Eyes, Take It To The Limit and After The Thrill Is Gone.
OOTN was the last Eagles album which I bought all others I had already.

TimothyBFan
06-10-2009, 07:26 AM
I'm kinda with FP here, it's not my least fave but my 2nd to the least. I find that funny since, like Soda, it has my favorite Eagles track of all time on it, TITTL (I love Randy's version the best). It also contains my least favorite Eagles song Journey of the Sorcerer. Love TITTL, LE, OOTN and ATTIG but the rest of the songs just do absolutely nothing for me.

skibum1606
06-10-2009, 11:31 AM
i actually have to disagree with a few of you, i like Journey Of The Sorcerer, i think the occasional instrumental track is nice, it has really good dynamics and in my opinion is a really great track, i also love I Wish You Peace, a part of me wishes that they would move up Desperado and close with this song, though i know alot you probably wouldn't like that. OOTN is not my favorite album but i don't really have them ranked cause that listing would switch fairly often with my mood.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Well, in honor of One of These Nights week here on The Border, I will celebrate as usual and try to post something about the album each day. The first thing I think of whenever the album is mentioned is that this is the album that propelled the band towards superstardom. Many people think it was Hotel California, that is really not the case. One of These Nights came out on the heels of the bands first #1 hit, The Best of My Love. The three megahits received almost continuous radio play, and at that point you almost had to be on another planet not to know who the Eagles were. After the Thrill Is Gone was a hit as well, albeit not as big as OOTN, LE, and TITTL. It is also the album that garnered the band their first Grammy win for Lyin' Eyes.

skibum, I think it is safe to say that hell would have to freeze over twice more before I Wish You Peace replaces Desperado in the set list. :wink:

Fan_For_Life
06-10-2009, 10:50 PM
LOL Dreamer. I really like the layout. Talk about an eye opener. All the layouts are fantastic this is one of my favorites.

OOTN always finds it's way to the highest volume any speaker can stand,OOTN, Take It To The Limit, Visions, After The Thrill and I Wish You Peace are my favorite tracks. Too Many Hands struck me strange the first few times I heard it but now that I understand it better has also become a favorite. Lyin Eyes is a great song but wasn't until hearing it live that I have a better appreciation for it. Journey Of The Sorcerer, ok to hear every now and then. Take It To The Limit,, what can't be said about this song, tell you what, hearing this one has got me through alot of rough times and good times as well.

Mrs Frey
06-11-2009, 07:02 AM
I must confess I haven't listened to this album much. I listen to my favourites from the album on my Greatest Hits compilation very often, though, i.e. "One Of These Nights" (that guitar riff, the bass line and drumming do it for me every single time I listen to it - it's fantastic - not to mention Don's great vocal and the fabulous harmonies), "Lyin' Eyes" (another of my big favourites, which I have included in my band song repertoire - wonderful lyrics and vocals) and "After The Thrill Is Gone" (these lyrics are brilliant, and I love the Glenn/Don duet).

06-11-2009, 10:04 AM
With regard to After the Thrill Is Gone, I think it is a great song in all respects - lyrically, vocally, and musically, and I just LOVE it!!! I remember Glenn saying once that he thought this song was underrated, and I totally agree with him.

Brooke
06-11-2009, 02:04 PM
I just love this album, as I do all of their albums! Biggest standout for me is, of course, OOTN. It's just so darn sexy!

LE (what a journey!), TITTL (love Randy's version best), ATTIG (imo just brilliant and melancholy) are also wonderful tunes.

I can easily do without JOTS and Visions. I like the rest.

luvthelighthouse
06-11-2009, 02:49 PM
One of my top five favorite songs of all time is Lyin' Eyes, by any artist. I've loved it for as long as I can remember.

I happen to be a huge fan of After the Thrill is Gone. To me, it says so much... "you're not quite lovers and you're not quite friends"... I think we've all been there. One of my favorite Eagles songs.

skibum1606
06-11-2009, 06:51 PM
skibum, I think it is safe to say that hell would have to freeze over twice more before I Wish You Peace replaces Desperado in the set list. :wink:

I'm not saying to remove it from the set list, Desperado is probably one of my fav Eagles tunes of all time, I'm just saying to move it up, i love it when artists feel comfortable enough to really play around with a set list not just from tour to tour but from night to night, also then you wouldn't have to listen to the annoying person that screams Desperado between every single song. but i know that are a lot of people out there who will disagree with me, and that i am probably alone in this boat, but I'm OK with that.

Freypower
06-11-2009, 06:59 PM
If I had my way Desperado would not be the last song they play. It is so dominated by Don that the Eagles appear to be his backing band during it. I would not even have it as one of the encore songs. I would place it somewhere in the middle of the first half - maybe after Lyin' Eyes. Like skibum I am aware that this is not a popular opinion.

Edit: I also apologise for hijacking the OOTN thread here. :worried:

06-12-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm not saying to remove it from the set list, Desperado is probably one of my fav Eagles tunes of all time, I'm just saying to move it up, i love it when artists feel comfortable enough to really play around with a set list not just from tour to tour but from night to night, also then you wouldn't have to listen to the annoying person that screams Desperado between every single song. but i know that are a lot of people out there who will disagree with me, and that i am probably alone in this boat, but I'm OK with that.

I understand what you are saying skibum, and you are absolutely entitled to your opinion. I mean no offense and am just having a little fun with you. I actually like I Wish You Peace more than a lot of people, although it is not a favorite. However, given its history, I don't think there is much chance that you will get your wish. So, if you will allow me to continue with the fun, I think I need to adjust my comment to say ...

I think hell would have to freeze over about ten times more for I Wish You Peace to become the closer in the Eagles set list. :lol: :lol:

With regard to Desperado being the closer, I don't have a problem with it. I guess I'm just so accustomed to it. I would, however, love to see them go back to performing it with Don on drums and Glenn on piano. That is definitely my preferred version.

luvthelighthouse
06-12-2009, 01:02 PM
To give OOTN back it's thread, I tried to move the Desperado comment to another thread in Eagles, titled Song Questions.

Hopefully link will work if anyone wants to jump on in other there. I had another question as well.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1756

Troubadour
06-12-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm late to this, but I wanted to add my appreciation for OOTN. I think it's a fantastic album - probably my most listened to, apart from Desperado - and, Brooke said it, the title track is sexy as hell. I will never tire of that song.

Lyin' Eyes and Take It To The Limit are obviously classics, and I am a big fan of After The Thrill Is Gone. I put the latter in the same category as The Sad Café. Quite underrated, but quite profound. I adore the lyrics, and I love hearing Don and Glenn share the vocals. They both do a fantastic job.

I had a funny moment with Journey Of The Sorcerer the other day. I was in a different room and I had itunes running in the lounge. I heard this piece of music, which I knew I knew, but I was just drawing a complete blank and couldn't think who or what it was. When it finally clicked what it was, I was almost surprised. My appreciation of it has increased since then. I guess I just heard it in a different way for the first time.

I'm also a fan of I Wish You Peace. I've liked it since I first heard it. My mum almost cried when she first listened to it! I have a soft spot for Bernie, and not every song has to be particularly complex to be meaningful. I love the simplicity of it. To me, it's perfect for what it is.

Happy Anniversary One Of These Nights!

sodascouts
06-12-2009, 03:53 PM
OK, a bit more time before I'm off to Chicago for the weekend. What an insane couple of weeks this has been!

I agree that OOTN isn't their strongest album, and that it's uneven. However, I still enjoy it a lot - and not just because of the stupendous Take It to the Limit. Song by song:

One of These Nights - I never really thought this song was that great until I heard it live. Then I realized that it is DANG sexy (Edited to add: just realized I pretty much echoed Brooke with that last statement - but it is SMOKIN' HOT so what can I say? lol).

Too Many Hands - truly an underrated song. I think it rocks! I love it when Randy sings "Still you won't hear a sound as she turns around!!" The vocal and melody really give it an edge which is rare for Randy. Great guitar parts, all connected with a rockin' central melodic motif that opens the song and continues throughout.

Hollywood Waltz - Not a favorite; kind of a snoozer melody with a trite theme and an unoriginal central metaphor. However, nice harmonies and the occasional sparkly moment like Don's voice on "they got what they wanted" and everyone coming in on "So give her this dance." Nicely arranged.

Journey of the Sorcerer - the problem with this song isn't that it's not good; it is. It's just that it doesn't really fit the Eagles mold. You can either applaud them for going outside the box or hit "skip" on the CD. One could speculate that Bernie might have shoe-horned it in. However, if you take it on its own without the incongruous context, you can appreciate it. I love its structure, dramatic build, and orchestration. I say, kudos to Bernie.

Lyin' Eyes - what really makes this song for me are the nuanced and subtle differentiations of the harmony lines on each chorus. Listen for them and you'll see what I mean. Little things like that are part of what separate the Eagles from their lessers.

Take It to the Limit - I've spoken of my ardor for this song before, and I hestitate to be repetitive, so I'll simply say that I find it absolutely brilliant. Moving, dramatic, powerful, amazing. Can't get enough of it.

Visions - Felder's lone lead vocal for the Eagles, this often gets a bad rap. Honestly, it's not their best work by any means (A bridge consisting of "Play on El Chingadero" repeated a couple times?? Come on). However, it does have its good moments, too. I like the way he sings "just a taste will do... just a taste of you" line, for instance. Good guitar.

After the Thrill Is Gone - back in the early 90s when all I owned of the Eagles catalog was their two "Greatest Hits," this song wasn't a favorite. I thought it dragged and I didn't really "get it." Now that I'm older and can understand the emotion behind it a bit better, I've come to appreciate it. Also love the dual lead and the creative use of what could have been trite metaphors.

I Wish You Peace - Don Henley himself has trashed this song rather nastily, but I have to disagree with him. I know this is at the bottom of many people's lists, but the straightforward, genuine emotion behind it sells it for me. It warms me up inside a little every time I hear it, and I see I'm not the only one. If a song can touch people like that, if it can move some to tears, I say it's earned its place in the Eagles catalog.

06-13-2009, 09:19 PM
I've used this scale that Scarlet Sun came up with a while back in the anniversary threads for all of the albums that we've celebrated so far, so I figure that I may as well continue using it to rate the songs for all of the remaining albums. As I always say, I don't think there is really a bad Eagles song, so my ratings tend to be very high overall. However, I agree that One of These Nights is one of the bands more uneven albums, so I have a lot more '3's' than I usually do. :wink:

1. Take It To the Limit - 5
2. Lyin' Eyes - 5
3. One of These Nights - 5
4. After the Thrill Is Gone - 5
5. Hollywood Waltz - 4
6. Too Many Hands - 3
7. Visions - 3
8. I Wish You Peace - 3
9. Journey of the Sorcerer - 3

key:
5 - I love it
4 - I really like it
3 - I like it
2 - meh
1 - yikes

06-14-2009, 12:14 PM
I was looking in the EOC photo gallery for some of my favorite OOTN era pictures, and I happened across this one again. It's another one of those boat pictures from the same photo shoot as the Rollin' Stone picture. But, some of the guys about 3/4 naked here. Look like it's time for Glenn to call in the seamstress for the band again. (I Volunteer) :lol:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/eaglesGDIH.jpg

Britt
06-14-2009, 12:48 PM
I was looking in the EOC photo gallery for some of my favorite OOTN era pictures, and I happened across this one again. It's another one of those boat pictures from the same photo shoot as the Rollin' Stone picture. But, some of the guys about 3/4 naked here. Look like it's time for Glenn to call in the seamstress for the band again. (I Volunteer) :lol:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/eaglesGDIH.jpg

:thumbsup: I second that for Glenn. Don sure likes to keep warm, wish he had taken his shirt off. LOL

Fan_For_Life
06-14-2009, 01:43 PM
So many thoughts cross my mind at this pic. I will keep them to myself.:thumbsup:

Troubadour
06-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Forget Too Many Hands... too many clothes, Don!! ;)

EagleLady
06-14-2009, 05:14 PM
We will just have to fix that problem Lou ;) :twisted:

Glennsallnighter
06-14-2009, 05:39 PM
So many thoughts cross my mind at this pic. I will keep them to myself.:thumbsup:

Tell me about it! Don't they look so young, strong, athletic and basically ............. HOT :smokin:

Freypower
06-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Here is my version of the ratings system:

1. Lyin' Eyes - 5
2. One Of These Nights - 4
3. Take It To The Limit - 4
4. Too Many Hands - 3
5. After The Thrill Is Gone - 3
6. Hollywood Waltz - 3
7. Visions - 2
8. Journey Of The Sorcerer - 2
9. I Wish You Peace - 1

key:
5 - I love it
4 - I really like it
3 - I like it
2 - meh
1 - yikes

Maybe I am too hard on it, I don't know.

luvthelighthouse
06-14-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm listening to After the Thrill is Gone right now... I really think it's one of my favorite songs from the Eagles. I just love it so much. While so much of it could seem cliche with it's metaphors... it's not. To me, it reaches a place we've all been. Being stuck in a rut, not sure how to move on, when you do finally move on, you don't know how to go about it, etc.

"You're not quite lovers and you're not quite friends"

"what can you do when your dreams come true, and it's not quite like you had planned"

"Time passes and you must move on, Half the distance takes you twice as long"

"Any kind of love without passion - That ain't no kind of lovin' at all"

What is it about this song that people don't like?

Freypower
06-15-2009, 12:10 AM
LTL, be fair. I think the majority of members here love this song. I'm the one who doesn't think it is as great as others do. Why? I suppose I can't really 'relate' to it. The lyrics you have quoted are all good but it does not speak to me personally. Soda said she used to think it 'dragged' and I suppose that is what I think.

06-15-2009, 06:13 PM
LTL, I agree with you and I love ATTIG. I think it is absolutely gorgeous - to me, the lyrics are wonderful (I think my favorite lyric is 'you keep on singing for the sake of the song', but they're all great), it has a beautiful melody (the bridge is amazing!), and Glenn's and Don's melancholy voices are just perfect.

And FP, isn't it a bit presumptious to say that you are the only one here that doesn't like the song? Obviously, the song has it's detractors because it wasn't the megahit that OOTN, LE, or TITTL were. As I said earlier in this thread, Glenn has stated he thinks it is one of the band's most underrated songs, so that would also indicate that the song doesn't appeal to everyone. I happen to agree with him though - I personally think that the song is VERY underrated and it definitely speaks to me.

Freypower
06-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Before I posted I quickly re-read the topic and it seemed to me that I was the only person who was less than totally enthusiastic about ATTIG of the people who have posted. If anyone else on this board feels the way I feel about it they haven't said so.

I should love it because I love Glenn and Don singing together but this is my least favourite of their duets. It isn't that I don't like it - I do like it but I will never be passionate about it in any way.

Brooke
06-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Don't feel bad Fp. We can't LOVE every song.

ATTIG has always been one of my favorites and their voices 'get me' every time I hear it. I just love some of the lines. Very meaningful to me.

06-16-2009, 02:23 PM
While I've been posting on the board today, I listened to the One of These Nights albums again. Even though I agree the albums biggest problems is its 'uneveness', it is still a very good album. To me, OOTN, LE, TITTL, and ATTIG are so great that they overshadow the other songs. I also agree with what Freypower said earlier in this thread about the Hollywood Waltz lyrics foreshadowing Hotel California. Actually, I think this is probably true about the lyrics of the other songs as well, with the exception of I Wish You Peace. To me, it's not that IWYP is a bad song, it's just that it seems out of place on the album. I think bluegrass flavored JOTS is also out of place. As much love and respect as I have for Bernie, I think his contributions on this albums exacerbate the problems he was having fitting in with the rest of the band at this point. It is very evident to me that the band and Bernie were moving in very different musical directions by the time this album was recorded.

sodascouts
06-10-2011, 01:10 AM
Once again, we celebrate the release of One of These Nights!

This gets us off to a good start:

Take It to the Limit (Houston 1976) (http://video.libero.it/app/play?id=3be257425f804eb7d7da6f77a686c9c2)

WalshFan88
06-10-2011, 01:16 AM
Happy Anniversary One Of These Nights!

I really like this album. The guitar solo on the title track by Don Felder is one of my favorites and the title track itself is one of my favorite Eagles songs. I love that song! Also I really like "Take It To The Limit" and "Lyin' Eyes" also.

luvthelighthouse
06-10-2011, 01:23 AM
Yes, that is a nice start! Randy sounds amazing! Simply amazing! Man he had a smooth voice.

OOTN...well, that is a song of sexiness...

Annabel
06-10-2011, 03:03 AM
Oooh loving the new look board and your new signature image Nancy. V-e-r-y nice pic of the guys. :drool:

I don't have this album :thud:..........yet. Well not on CD, but I do have it on vinyl. Not that I can play it. :cry: It's on my list to get on CD when the girls don't need something, dog or other animals not at the vets for jabs or something else comes up. :unimpressed:

EaglesKiwi
06-10-2011, 04:46 AM
Love that version of TITTL. :thud:

Glennsallnighter
06-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Well, a timely arrival. I got a lovely OOTN bookmark on eBay earlier this week and it arrived yesterday! I'll get a pic up tomorrow.

It looks better than the pic gives justice. The lyrics are in white against a blue background on the reverse.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/OOTNbookmark.jpg

whitcap
06-10-2012, 01:08 AM
One of These Nights was released 37 years ago today!

sodascouts
06-10-2012, 01:11 AM
Here we go again - happy birthday to One of The Nights!

Here's some audio from that tour:

One of These Nights (Springfield 1975) (http://www.donhenleyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/OOTNSpringfield75.mp3)
Too Many Hands (Springfield 1975) (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/multimedia/MP3/TooManyHandsSpringfield75.mp3)

(https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/multimedia/MP3/JOTSBoston75.mp3)

WalshFan88
06-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Here we go again - happy birthday to One of The Nights!

One Of 'The' Nights?! Which one was it?! :hilarious:

Happy Birthday OOTN! I have time to pop in and say Happy Birthday. Love the title track especially and of course Felder's solo on it.

zeldabjr
06-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Happy Birthday "One of These Nights" this will have to be my CD of the moment this week...:applause::applause:...and the title track is one of my all time favorite Eagles songs!!

Freypower
06-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Lyin' Eyes. Say no more. :applause:

06-10-2012, 07:20 PM
HAPPY 37th ANNIVERSARY OOTN!!!

I'm definitely going to follow my tradition of putting this in the car CD player this week to give it a listen.

I'm reposting my list of the order in which I like the tracks on this album that I posted earlier in this thread. As we've done for other albums, if others want to post their list from favorite to least favorite, I'll compile the results at the end of our celebration week.

1. Take It To the Limit
2. Lyin' Eyes
3. One of These Nights
4. After the Thrill Is Gone
5. Hollywood Waltz
6. Too Many Hands
7. Visions
8. I Wish You Peace
9. Journey of the Sorcerer

Freypower
06-10-2012, 08:46 PM
I'm afraid there is not a great deal on this album apart from the first three tracks I have listed that I can get excited about. It is my least favourite album & it always has been.

1. Lyin' Eyes
2. One Of These Nights
3. Take It To The Limit
4. Too Many Hands
5. Jouirney Of The Sorcerer
6. After The Thrill Is Gone
7. Hollywood Waltz
8. Visions
9. I Wish You Peace

Tiffanny Twisted
06-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Great song:drummer:

Brings back so many memeories.

Seems just like yesterday.......:heart:

Tiffanny twisted

Brooke
06-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Love this album, as I do all of them!

My list is very close to yours dreamer. Just exchanged TITTL and OOTN.

1. One of These Nights
2. Lyin' Eyes
3. Take It To The Limit
5. Hollywood Waltz
6. Too Many Hands
7. Visions
8. I Wish You Peace

Henley Honey
06-11-2012, 07:09 PM
My selection for favorite might change depending on frequency of hearing the songs, but for today they are:

1. One Of These Nights
2. After The Thrill Is Gone
3. Take It To The Limit
4. Lyin' Eyes
5. Visions
6. I Wish You Peace
7. Too Many Hands
8. Hollywood Waltz

Glennsallnighter
06-12-2012, 05:18 AM
Again, I seem to be following a few people with my top 3.

1. Lyin Eyes
2. One of These Nights
3. Take it to The Limit
4. After The Thrill Is Gone
5. Hollywood Waltz
6. Visions
7. Journey of the Sorcerer
8. Too Many Hands
9. I Wish You Peace.

Really Lyin Eyes would be my all time favourite Eagles song (followed closely by PEF). OOTN may not be the best album they ever recorded, but that song makes it for me! And to visit Dan Tanas....... That was something I never thought I would get to do!

BBKron
06-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Well, my view and ranking of One of These Nights is decidedly different from most others here, I know. I have railed against this as my least favorite album along with my reasons why in previous threads (such as the the favorite albums and weakest songs threads), suffice it to say the slick, lush, and disco-tinged sound and over-production style kill it for me. As others have said, it is a very uneven album, with a stark dichotomy between Bernie's songs, and most of the rest of the album.

However, while most everyone ranks the 'Big 3' singles as the by far the best of the album, these are not among my favorites. The song OOTN is my least favorite of all their 'hits', and I find it virtually unlistenable. To me, the standout track on the album is the much maligned 'Journey of the Sorcerer', which is just brilliant, a tremendously inventive and exciting mix of bluegrass and spaced-out, otherworldy hipness, probably the only space-age banjo song ever made. It may not sound much like a 'typical' Eagles song, but it is great, and certainly the most original and exciting song on the album. And yes, it does show that Bernie and the Eagles were moving in very different directions at the time. My problem is that I think it was Bernie that was more on the right track, and the Eagles veering off in the wrong direction, but I guess that's just me (Fortunately, they got back on track with HC, unfortunately, however, without Bernie)

Anyway, here is my alternative view ranking of OOTN

1. Journey of the Sorcerer
2. Take it To The Limit
3. I Wish You Peace (actually a very nice acoustic song, but it was ruined on the album by the sappy strings and overproduction).
4. After the Thrill is Gone
5. Lyin' Eyes
6. Hollywood Waltz
7. Visions
8. Too Many Hands
9. One of These Nights

Glennsallnighter
06-12-2012, 12:22 PM
I also love this particular background. The strong colour make the text very easy to read even without my reading glasses.

06-12-2012, 05:13 PM
I love this board style, too - one of my favorites.

I also love reading the different opinions and lists for the albums. BBKron, yours is a very interesting post. Even though your opinions about this album aren't shared by a lot of fans on the board, of course, they are just as valid. I always enjoy reading others viewpoints, particularly when they are well-stated like yours. :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
06-12-2012, 05:21 PM
For me it's:

1. One Of These Nights (great tune, great harmony, and one of the best Eagles guitar solos of all time! RnB with a touch of rock n' roll.)
2. Take It To The Limit (another classic I really love and never gets old and is one of the best.)
3. After The Thrill Is Gone (a very, very underrated Eagles tune. I love this one!)
4. Lyin' Eyes (Another great one, but has gotten a bit boring for me in recent times. For one thing, it's too long. I love some long songs but this one bores me after awhile. But still, it's a classic and a great well written song.)
5. Hollywood Waltz
6. I Wish You Peace
7. Too Many Hands
8. Visions
9. Journey Of The Sorcerer

Windeagle
06-13-2012, 10:28 AM
I know many people consider this album weak, but it's a solid part of my favorite Eagles era - Desperado, OTB and OOTN. Like BBK, my list is a bit skewed from everyone else's because I tend to prefer album cuts to singles. I blame the radio station I listened to as a kid that played the same 6 songs over and over.

Here's my list and a few comments about why this album is one of my special ones:

1. After the Thrill is Gone - perhaps my favorite Eagles song of all time. Love the dual lead singers and the lyrics are beautiful. Add the soulfulness of the music and you can just feel that the song comes from the heart.
2. Hollywood Waltz - I'm a sucker for anything in 3/4 time. Also love the imagery in the lyrics.
3. Take It To The Limit - Again, 3/4 time.
4. Journey of the Sorcerer - love to see them taking risks and the power chords blow through me like lightning.
5. Too Many Hands - I started my Eagles attraction as a Randy fan and got hooked on this song right away.
6. Visions - The guitar work and the counterpoint backing vocals make this song. The lead vocal, not so much.
7. Lyin' Eyes - too country for me and suffered from being overplayed.
8. One of these Nights - too slick for me and also suffered from being overplayed.
9. I Wish You Peace - BBK made a good point about this being a nice acoustic song. I never listened to it that way until yesterday. Still not a favorite though.

Happy birthday, One of These Nights!

zeldabjr
06-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Here's my list:...
1. One of These Nights...my third all time fave Eagles song
2.Lyin' Eyes
3.Hollywood Waltz
4.Take It To The Limit
5.Journey of the Sorcerer
6.After The Thrill Is Gone
7.Too Many Hands
8.I Wish You Peace
9.Visions

GlennLover
06-13-2012, 08:28 PM
I agree that ATTIG is very underrated, for the same reasons that WE stated. It is one of my favorite Eagles's songs & I find that I play it quite often. There is so much meaning in the lyrics.

I also find the album uneven. Too many styles for one album.

06-18-2012, 09:10 PM
Okay folks - Here are the results of our OOTN album poll. The vote was very close in some cases, but the winner according to this small group of Borderers is Take It To the Limit. Not surprisingly, Lyin' Eyes and One of These Nights follow closely behind with a tie for 2nd and 3rd place. Congratulations TITTL.

Take It To the Limit - 66
Lyin' Eyes - 62 (tie for 2nd and 3rd place)
One of These Nights - 62 (tie for 2nd and 3rd place)
After the Thrill Is Gone - 56
Hollywood Waltz - 44
Too Many Hands - 32 (tie for 6th and 7th place)
Journey of the Sorcerer - 32 (tie for 6th and 7th place)
Visions - 27
I Wish You Peace - 24

As always, anyone who still wants to post their list, please feel free to do so. I'll update the results with any new posts.

sodascouts
06-10-2013, 02:29 AM
Happy birthday to One of These Nights, released on this day in 1975!

zeldabjr
06-10-2013, 02:46 AM
Happy Birthday "One of These Nights"

you gave us so many great songs!...my favorite being your namesake! :heart:

WalshFan88
06-10-2013, 03:20 AM
Happy Birthday "One Of These Nights"!!!!

Really like this album, particularly OOTN, TITTL, and ATTIG.

NYC Fan
06-10-2013, 05:38 AM
Love the board theme this week, Soda! It looks great.

I was just listening to OOTN yesterday. So many great songs on it. My favorites are TITTL, OOTN, Lyin' Eyes and Hollywood Waltz. Love the storytelling on this album, and they all have some great vocal leads. Happy 38th Birthday, OOTN!

Outlawman13
06-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Happy 38th birthday to One Of These Nights!!! I love this album and all of the songs on it!!! There isn't a bad song in the bunch. I just love our Eagles.

Houston Baby
06-10-2013, 12:32 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ONE OF THESE NIGHTS!!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this album!! When it came out, it threw my love for the Eagles and their music into overdrive! I shared a bedroom with my younger sister and drove her crazy playing this album over and over!! Dad finally bought me some headphones so there would be peace in the house.:hilarious:

Houston Debutante
06-10-2013, 01:34 PM
I love this terrific album, I love this board style!

cricrichan
06-10-2013, 02:19 PM
From me too ...

Happy Birthday OOTN :birthday::birthday::birthday:

Oh, and I do love the new layout of the Border ;)

wasl89
06-10-2013, 03:39 PM
A happy birthday from me too!
The first song I heard this morning was One of These Nights, didn't know today was his birthday.
Been listening to the best Eagles album most of the day!

And the new layout of the Border rocks!

sad-cafe
06-10-2013, 03:42 PM
love the layout

the album is pretty great too

TakeMeToTheLimit
06-10-2013, 05:50 PM
My fave eagles album absolutely love the song one of these nights love take it to the limit by randy too also like lyin eyes and after the thrill is gone and love felders guitar work on too many hands I like visions and journey of the sorcerer I find hollywood waltz ok but I wish you peace doesn't do a lot for me the cover is great too I love it my fave album cover which I have on my wail on here :)

Vector
06-10-2013, 06:44 PM
34 years ago today, One of These Nights was released.

It's easy for me to identify what I love most about this album: Take It to the Limit. A masterpiece that is my favorite Eagles song from any album - and that's just one of many gems.

I'll write more when I have more time.... there's certainly more to say!

In an effort to contribute more to forum than just my disillusionment thread, I noticed this one at the top. Both OOTN & TITTL are two of my favorite songs by far. Meisner singing that song can bring chills to you with his perfect high pitch. Henley was able to emote many emotions in Nights, and Felder's musical score on both the opening bass and changing it to a guitar driven song instead of the originally planned piano based song is amazing. The harmonies are of course great, maybe even more so on OOTN's.

BTW - I am not sure about this new background. It is hard on the eyes from my perspective.

`

06-10-2013, 09:04 PM
HAPPY 38TH ANNIVERSARY ONE OF THESE NIGHTS!!!!

This is truly the album that started the band's ascent to superstardom.

And I, too, love this board style.

Grey Sadler
06-10-2013, 09:06 PM
I'll say it again...I have to thank my granny for accidentally packing this and several other albums in my stuff when we moved :D
Can't think of a top track besides the title track...and TITTL...and...ack, just an awesome album all around!!
I must admit I didn't realize the background here had actually changed, I'm using OOTN as a default when I sign in :lol:

sodascouts
06-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the kind comments about the OOTN layout we're using this week. However, anyone who finds it hard to read (or just plain prefers another) may select a different board layout style in their user control panel or by using the drop down menu at the bottom of the forum index.

sad-cafe
06-10-2013, 09:23 PM
I love it

I love the little surprises and things you do to change it up.

Thank you for all the work you do!

Grey Sadler
06-10-2013, 09:27 PM
I love it

I love the little surprises and things you do to change it up.

Thank you for all the work you do!

+1
and I loooove your sig banner, Nancy :D

Topkat
06-10-2013, 10:27 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to ONE OF THESE NIGHTS

sodascouts
06-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Thanks again, guys!

As I do every time we have one of these anniversaries, I love getting the album out and giving it a listen first to last. This is the album that really got the ball rolling for them and it is amazing how many hits it spawned. This is when they started to become rock STARS.

Freypower
06-11-2013, 12:07 AM
I'll say it again...I have to thank my granny for accidentally packing this and several other albums in my stuff when we moved :D
Can't think of a top track besides the title track...and TITTL...and...ack, just an awesome album all around!!
I must admit I didn't realize the background here had actually changed, I'm using OOTN as a default when I sign in :lol:

Lyin' Eyes.

SilverMoon
06-11-2013, 04:17 PM
I'm late, but... Happy Anniversary One Of These Nights!

My favorite songs on the album are the title track, “Too Many Hands”, “Visions”, “Take It To The Limit” and “Lyin’ Eyes”.

glenneaglesfan
06-11-2013, 04:57 PM
I'm late too, but love this album, and the gorgeous wallpaper!

Congratulations to One of These Nights!

MaryCalifornia
06-11-2013, 08:16 PM
I really like this layout. Thanks Sodascouts!

GlennLover
06-11-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm late as well. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to a great album!!! My favourites are LE, TITTL & ATTIG.

I think the OOTN board layout is very well done :thumbsup:, but unfortunately, like vector, it hurts these old eyes after awhile. :sad:

Brooke
06-12-2013, 10:11 AM
I'm late too, but Happy Anniversary to One of These Nights! Love this album and like Soda said, it made them rock STARS!

Love this board style too! Way to go Soda! :thumbsup:

sad-cafe
06-28-2013, 01:38 AM
I love this song. Love the base intro, love Don's sexy sighs and the high harmonies. To me this is Classic Eagles at their best.

sodascouts
06-10-2014, 02:36 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ONE OF THESE NIGHTS!!!

You're 39 this year, but 40's right around the corner! ;)

DivineDon
06-10-2014, 05:20 AM
I love the layout, Soda, very classy :thumbsup:

thelastresort
06-10-2014, 06:50 AM
Happy birthday One of These Nights. Probably shifted behind The Long Run as my least favoruite album (:shock:) but I appreciate that it was what established the Eagles as probably the biggest band in the world.

NYC Fan
06-10-2014, 07:34 AM
Love the board design! I was just listening to the Spectrum show from May, 1975, and Glenn talks about the stage backdrop, which must have been the OOTN cover, as he talks about it being from their new album. "That's one of the cosmic backdrops we ever come up with". Indeed, Glenn :-)

I love One of these Nights. Lyin' Eyes and Hollywood Waltz are two of my favorite Eagles songs, and I also really like After the Thrill is Gone. And of course, Take it to the Limit... It has a few clunkers, but there are some really wonderful songs.

Happy 39th birthday!

UndertheWire
06-10-2014, 07:54 AM
And with that, I'm transported back to a campsite in France, listening to this on a radio-cassette and, later in the year, my mother singing along to Lyin' Eyes. This was the first time I heard Eagles tracks played on the radio with any regularity and I had mixed feelings - it felt like they'd been my secret over the previous three years and now everyone knew who they were.

I loved the title track because it reminded me of Witchy Woman (Don Henley and lots of "ooohs"). I was never that keen on LE - too many verses. I grew to love JOTS from listening to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - so neat to hear an Eagles track on such a wonderful radio show. I like IWYP because Bernie's singing. The rest didn't leave much impression though listening now, I'm impressed by ATTIG and the way it shows the trouble within the band.

Houston Baby
06-10-2014, 08:52 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY OOTN!!!!

I love this background and I LOVE this album!! One of my favorite memories of this is driving around town by myself and singing at the top of my lungs with Glenn on LE! And if you heard my singing you would know wny I was by myself! :hilarious:

Zanny Kingston
06-10-2014, 08:58 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ONE OF THESE NIGHTS!

Hard to believe its 39!

Brooke
06-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Lol! Too funny HB!

I love this album too! I really like most all the songs on it, OOTN being my favorite from it. Lyin' Eyes would be next. JOTS is probably the only one I don't really care for.

Happy Birthday OOTN!

shunlvswx
06-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Happy 39th Birthday, to OOTN.

My favorite songs from the album are OOTN, LE, TITTL, and After the Thrill Is Gone.

DJ
06-10-2014, 08:31 PM
Wow 39 years, how time flies when you're listening to great music!

Happy Birthday OOTN!!

Elizasong
06-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Happy Birthday to one of my favorite songs!! :partytime:

ktdids
06-11-2014, 01:10 AM
I was about 7 when this album came out I guess, and OOTN imprinted on me mostly because of it's radio play at that time, and the impact of a family situation with my older sister. I've always made the connection with this song, my sister and my mom and how devastated my mom was by everything going on. I always thought we needed to keep her from hearing it when it came on the radio so that she wouldn't be reminded of that time. I love the song now, it brings me back to that time but doesn't make me sad, it keeps my sister in my head and sometimes helps me understand my mom!
Wow, 39 years! A testament to what is great music!

06-13-2014, 04:29 PM
I'm a little late to the party, but ...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO ONE OF THESE NIGHTS!!!

I've had this one in the car CD player for the last few days.

WalshFan88
06-19-2014, 10:02 PM
Happy Belated Birthday One Of These Nights!

Good overall album. Love OOTN, ATTIG, and TITTL.

thelastresort
03-15-2015, 12:18 PM
Seems as good a place to ask: does anyone else really, really like Visions? I've had a quick gander of this thread and some others and the nicest verdict I've seen about it is that it's OK. I really love both the lead and backing vocals and the whole tone of the song. The more I think about and listen to it the more I think it's becoming my favourite song from OOTN... :shock:

chaim
03-15-2015, 01:26 PM
Seems as good a place to ask: does anyone else really, really like Visions? I've had a quick gander of this thread and some others and the nicest verdict I've seen about it is that it's OK. I really love both the lead and backing vocals and the whole tone of the song. The more I think about and listen to it the more I think it's becoming my favourite song from OOTN... :shock:

The riff isn't that great IMO, but I like the song a lot.

scottside
03-16-2015, 08:32 AM
I like it a lot, too. It was actually the B-side to the single of "One Of These Nights" so when that came out in advance of the LP, I ran out and bought it. I felt that "Visions" was more typically musically than the A-side which I didn't care for all that much (I love it now) as I had to get used to the Bee Gees' type harmonies.

Jonny Come Lately
03-18-2015, 06:57 PM
I like Visions okay, I'd hardly call it a personal favourite though, but I'd never skip it either. The bit of the song I like best is probably the very end, I've always really liked the final flourish of guitar. Just a cool way to end the song I guess.

I think that One Of These Nights has four really great songs which stand out as being among the best the Eagles have done - these being the 'big three' of the title track, Lyin' Eyes and Take It To The Limit, as well as After The Thrill Is Gone. As an aside, one of the many things I love about ATTIG is Felder's guitar playing - I really like his opening guitar part and the solo in the middle of the solo. I also rate Too Many Hands and Journey Of The Sorcerer highly and consider both to be substantially underrated. I like Hollywood Waltz but it's not quite in the top group of Eagles songs to me - I probably like it better than Nightingale but perhaps slightly less than Is It True?, both of which are fairly good but have never considered to be amongst their best or my own favourites. I don't care for I Wish You Peace and sometimes give it a miss and stop playing the album after ATTIG. I think the strings detract from the song - where the strings on TITTL add to the song's power, on IWYP I would say it simply makes the song sound a bit too sappy.

Overall I think OOTN is a good Eagles album although it's not as strong as the two that came before it or its successor. Having said that, those are my three favourites and this album for the most part is at a similar level to those.

NightMistBlue
03-19-2015, 11:49 AM
I like Visions too. To me it has a bit of a southern boogie-Skynyrd sound that you'd never associate with the Eagles. It's fun, especially the vocals.

Speaking of fun, I can understand the Frey devotees' appreciation of the boat picture posted earlier in the thread, but as a Randy fan I'm partial to this one:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/Shenandoah07/boat_zpsly9frnqa.jpg

Funk 50
03-20-2015, 05:58 AM
I heard Journey Of The Sorceror on the radio a few days ago.

It's one of my favourites but on this evidence, it's not a radio song. I'd still love to hear it performed live though.

03-22-2015, 06:18 PM
I also like Visions. I don't think it's a great song, and it's not one of my favorites, but I do enjoy it. I never skip it when I listen to the album.

Brooke
05-20-2015, 09:58 AM
Saw on the front page that this song was released as a single 40 years ago today! I've always loved it and think it's one of their best and sexiest! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
05-20-2015, 08:12 PM
I used to think the song was one of their more dated numbers but after seeing how hot it is live, I've come to appreciate it!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-22-2015, 05:23 PM
OOTN nights is my favorite Eagles song. Love this song, and very happy it's back in the setlist.

sodascouts
06-11-2015, 01:11 AM
Guys, this album turned 40 on June 10! Can you believe it?!

AlreadyGone95
06-11-2015, 03:18 AM
I can, but my mom and uncle can't :lol:.
Happy (belated) birthday to one of my favorite Eagles albums. You're double my age OOTN!

AlreadyGone95
06-11-2015, 03:22 AM
This (https://m.facebook.com/151694561582626/photos/a.151705371581545.39774.151694561582626/829400740478668/?type=1&source=48&ref=bookmark) popped up on my Facebook news feed earlier. Very cool post, though I disagree with the original Rolling Stone review.

thelastresort
06-11-2015, 05:20 PM
I disagree with a lot of that article, but this:

One of These Nights is not a great album

... I actually agree with to an extent. Oddly for me it probably has the three strongest singles any Eagles album offered, but it's always left me cold as an overall piece.

I think an example of what I mean is the fact that the band have kind of given it the 'leave it alone' treatment (like LROOE gets currently): the three singles are rightly staples and rightly go down as three of their finest outputs, but the rest of it has long been abandoned. This may be down in part to just how much of the album was made up of contributions from Randy and Bernie (and to a lesser extent Felder), but even for the likes of the MTV and Millennium Concerts, when the likes of The Last Resort and Ol' 55 were revived for one last time, the fillers on OOTN remained dormant. Even nowadays, when the other five 70's albums have enjoyed some revisiting for the History tour (TLHTM, PMAIAR, Those Shoes etc), One of These Nights is still 'Right, three singles, that's it'.

Looking back it's interesting even back in the day: Visions, IWYP and Hollywood Waltz never were performed live; JOTS lasted as a staple until Bernie left; TMH was in and out until Randy left; and ATTIG got played once as a very sneakily-done farewell song at Wrong Beach. They were still playing Desperado filler by the time OOTN stuff had been purged from the set.

Anyway, I'll end with what I originally meant to say...

Happy birthday OOTN

Jonny Come Lately
06-11-2015, 05:40 PM
Happy 40th anniversary to One Of These Nights!

(I can't quite believe this album has turned 40, I think it was probably the first Eagles album my parents heard back in the 1970s as it was their breakthrough album in the UK).

Although it's not their strongest album (it's not quite as good or consistent in my view as the two before it or the follow up) it's still a pretty strong album by most standards and one I certainly enjoy listening to. Like all of the Eagles albums there is a good variety of different musical styles and several classic songs.

The three singles on this album are definitely amongst their finest works - One Of These Nights would probably make my top 10 Eagles songs, with Lyin' Eyes and Take It To The Limit also being very high up my list, however I am also quite a big fan of ATTIG (every bit as good as the big three IMO) and the underrated Too Many Hands and Journey Of The Sorcerer. I just wish the album had a stronger ending than IWYP, it's just a bit too sappy for my liking although it's still listenable and I quite like Bernie's acoustic solo.

I've been listening to Lyin' Eyes as I write this and I am reminded of its greatness - the harmony vocals are outstanding, even by Eagles standards (I absolutely love the harmonies in the final verse that come in on the 'my oh my, you sure know how to arrange things' line, and the combination of Don and Glenn's vocals in the first verse is also a highlight). I also really like Bernie's Telecaster licks and I like Randy's bass line quite a bit too.

Randy's vocals on TITTL and backing vocals on the title track are great but I also love his bass playing on the latter as well as on TMH (I love the bass flourish in the bridge towards the end). I think this album was his peak as an Eagle given that he had two lead vocals, one of them being his biggest hit and shone on harmony and backup vocals elsewhere. He is certainly more prominent on OOTN than he is on the Hotel California album I think.

I suspect part of the reason why the album tracks on OOTN have rarely been played or recognised over the years is that most of them highlight Bernie, Randy and Felder - even a Henley vocal like Hollywood Waltz is defined by Bernie's versatile country rock playing. I'm not sure why they've almost completely neglected ATTIG though, given that IIRC both Don and Glenn think it's an underrated song and although Felder shines with his R&B guitar it's not tied to him in the way even the likes of VOL and Those Shoes are.

NightMistBlue
06-12-2015, 09:37 AM
I'm one of the - ahem - select few who enjoys "I Wish You Peace." Typically, I like the more upbeat songs (I always skip "My Man" for example), but "Peace" is lovely. Bernie does a great job on all the harmonies. I don't know if the other guys didn't participate because they didn't like the song or because Bernie worked on it alone by choice. Maybe Patti was in the studio and they stayed away.

Brooke
06-12-2015, 11:08 AM
I'm one of the - ahem - select few who enjoys "I Wish You Peace." Typically, I like the more upbeat songs (I always skip "My Man" for example), but "Peace" is lovely. Bernie does a great job on all the harmonies. I don't know if the other guys didn't participate because they didn't like the song or because Bernie worked on it alone by choice. Maybe Patti was in the studio and they stayed away.

I've always liked it too. I think it's very pretty and has some nice lyrics. I think the guys just weren't happy with Patti being involved at all.

Funk 50
06-12-2015, 02:57 PM
I Like I Wish You Peace too. It has a great sentiment, pleasant tune and one of my favourite Eagles guitar solos. I think it was pretty bad form for some band members to publicly diss it.

It's better than Visions by a distance. I suppose band policy dictated than Felder must have a lead vocal. A policy I'm pleased that they ditched, in Felder's case, on their subsequent albums.

One Of These Nights as a whole isn't really the type of music I enjoy listening to privately but they do sound great on the radio.

I wouldn't have bought any Eagles albums without Joe Walsh's intervention.

UndertheWire
06-12-2015, 05:43 PM
I like Bernie's voice and I'm always a sucker for the softer songs, so I'm happy with "I Wish You Peace". I've always considered "Visions" to be the weakest track on the album.

Jonny Come Lately
06-12-2015, 06:08 PM
I like Bernie's voice usually myself, but I've always felt it sounds a bit weak on I Wish You Peace personally, and while I do like the acoustic guitar solo (the harmony vocals are quite good too) I don't really like the use of strings on it much - I think I'd have preferred a more stripped back, folk-y production on the song (FWIW, I think the strings work on TITTL because it's a big, powerful song, whereas I'm not keen on them in the more mellow IWYP).

I should say I don't really dislike the song at all, it is perfectly pleasant to listen to, it's just not a tune I play much outside of the album itself. Interestingly I tend to play it a bit more around Christmas, it's better than some of the schmaltzy, cheesy or just plain overplayed Xmas songs you can't avoid around that time of year.

While Visions isn't a classic by any stretch of the imagination as far as I'm concerned (it is still the second weakest song on the album and would probably be in my 10 least favourite Eagles songs overall), I do at least quite like some of Felder's guitar playing on it so I prefer to IWYP. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Freypower
06-12-2015, 10:44 PM

All the harmonies?

Glenn can be clearly heard in the 'aaah' part behind 'when your storms are high'. At least I assume it's Glenn. I have never heard of any instance where the harmonies on an Eagles song would be sung by only one Eagle. What is your source for this?

Funk 50
06-13-2015, 04:30 AM
Bernie does a great job on all the harmonies. I don't know if the other guys didn't participate because they didn't like the song or because Bernie worked on it alone by choice.

I kinda skipped this until Freypower focussed in on it. As far as I'm concerned, I Wish You Peace is an Eagles song written by Bernie Leadon and Patti Davis. ie. Don plays drums, Randy plays bass and they all sing harmony vocals, I certainly don't see it as a solo Leadon effort.

I Wish You Peace may have run against their desire to rock out more in 1975 but 40 years later it still sounds good and it isn't that far from, particularly Glenn's, recent stuff.

chaim
06-13-2015, 05:05 AM
I kinda skipped this until Freypower focussed in on it. As far as I'm concerned, I Wish You Peace is an Eagles song written by Bernie Leadon and Patti Davis. ie. Don plays drums, Randy plays bass and they all sing harmony vocals, I certainly don't see it as a solo Leadon effort.

I Wish You Peace may have run against their desire to rock out more in 1975 but 40 years later it still sounds good and it isn't that far from, particularly Glenn's, recent stuff.

And Glenn plays the (IMO) rather essential keyboard part. I asked Bernie about this on his official forum years ago and he confirmed it.

06-13-2015, 04:53 PM
HAPPY 40TH ANNIVERSARY TO ONE OF THESE NIGHTS!!!

It amazes me on an almost daily basis how this band's songs continue to resonate with so many people all over the globe.

Since this is one of my favorite Border board styles, I thought I'd pay homage to it by posting the album's cover art. Just shows how creative Soda was while staying true to the original ...

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/ootncover.jpg

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/ootnback.jpg

sodascouts
06-13-2015, 09:05 PM
Count me as another fan of the much-maligned "I Wish You Peace." I think it's quite pretty and a lovely sentiment as well.

AlreadyGone95
06-13-2015, 10:42 PM
I like I Wish You Peace as well, beautiful song.

thelastresort
06-13-2015, 10:47 PM
I don't mind IWYP, it's quite warm and fuzzy, it's just I don't hold much regard for it as an Eagles song. It's calming lyrically and has a smooth solo, but there's nothing about it to say the Eagles recorded it. Other weaker Eagles songs still have something 'Eagles': for example TGFY (sorry FP ;)) has that distinct Frey-Henley harmony that graces Tequila Sunrise and Lyin' Eyes, and Visions has some decent distinguishable harmonies and great guitar work. For me, IWYP is much like Learn to Be Still and Love Will Keep Us Alive in being quite mediocre, nondescript releases.

Jonny Come Lately
06-14-2015, 05:35 PM
I think you've hit the nail on the head tlr - that is exactly how I feel about IWYP. It's not terrible, and is fine to listen to when I'm in the mood for it, but it's just kind of there. I find LWKUA to be more or less the same, again it has calming lyrics and a smooth solo but it's some way off vintage Eagles as far as I'm concerned.

I also agree with your points about TGFY and Visions, and the aspects of those songs you brought up. I prefer the latter as I think its pros (the guitars and the harmony/backup vocals) outweigh its cons (Felder's lead vocal and the lyrics), especially as I feel whereas to me TGFY mainly has the shared vocals and the chorus going for it, the rest being fairly meh.

Having said this, I disagree about Learn To Be Still, a song I like a lot which in my mind is much better lyrically than any of the other songs you mentioned. Both IWYP and LWKUA come across as a little too soppy for the Eagles whereas I find the more thoughtful and introspective lyrics of LTBS raise it substantially above those other two. It certainly feels like a Don Henley song if admittedly less so an Eagles one - where the other two are fairly generic love songs (compared to the more specific situations described in, say, BOML or Lyin' Eyes) LTBS benefits from lyrics that bear Don's stamp as a writer (particularly the use of imagery and biblical references). Musically I can understand why some people aren't crazy about it but I do like the music myself, especially the guitar solo, and I think it does fit the lyrics quite well.

L101
06-14-2015, 05:49 PM
Having said this, I disagree about Learn To Be Still, a song I like a lot which in my mind is much better lyrically than any of the other songs you mentioned. Both IWYP and LWKUA come across as a little too soppy for the Eagles whereas I find the more thoughtful and introspective lyrics of LTBS raise it substantially above those other two. It certainly feels like a Don Henley song if admittedly less so an Eagles one - where the other two are fairly generic love songs (compared to the more specific situations described in, say, BOML or Lyin' Eyes) LTBS benefits from lyrics that bear Don's stamp as a writer (particularly the use of imagery and biblical references). Musically I can understand why some people aren't crazy about it but I do like the music myself, especially the guitar solo, and I think it does fit the lyrics quite well.

I completely agree with you about LTBS - it is one of my favourite Eagles songs - I love the guitar, the music, the lyrics and it just makes you think about how you live your life sometimes.
I think its a pity that it went by the wayside as regards being played live or on best of CD's.
It would be interesting to know their reasoning behind how songs are selected for shows - apart from the obvious hits, they don't really diversify must from a standard setlist.....apart from HOTE tour, when they added some gems of songs (DD/D reprise, SN, TS)

But love OOTN album - especially OOTN and ATTIG. IWYP is nice for a quiet moment :grin:

thelastresort
06-14-2015, 05:56 PM
... It certainly feels like a Don Henley song if admittedly less so an Eagles one -...

Which is what I meant with my reference, I won't fault its lyrical content, but there is just nothing about it to suggest it was an Eagles vice Don Henley song, much like IWYP with Bernie...

shunlvswx
06-15-2015, 09:37 PM
I'm a little late, but Happy 40th Birthday to OOTN!!

NightMistBlue
06-16-2015, 09:30 AM
All the harmonies?

Glenn can be clearly heard in the 'aaah' part behind 'when your storms are high'. At least I assume it's Glenn. I have never heard of any instance where the harmonies on an Eagles song would be sung by only one Eagle. What is your source for this?

My own little ears! I shall listen closely again. It all sounds like Bernie to me. I believe you're correct that this is the only Eagles song where one member does all the vocal parts.

UPDATE: I listened on headphones this time and can still only hear Bernie's voice. Anyone else want to weigh in?

DJ
06-16-2015, 03:23 PM
I just truly love this album and cover. It my next favorite to the Border album.
Getta Baby One of These Nights........All time favorite line.

Freypower
06-16-2015, 05:37 PM
My own little ears! I shall listen closely again. It all sounds like Bernie to me. I believe you're correct that this is the only Eagles song where one member does all the vocal parts.

UPDATE: I listened on headphones this time and can still only hear Bernie's voice. Anyone else want to weigh in?

I'm sorry, but as I said, I can clearly hear Glenn underneath the 'when your storms are high & your dreams are low' part. I don't believe for a second that no matter how much they disliked the song Don Henley & Glenn would have relinquished that much control. I think Bernie may be harmonising with himself on the verses, but in the big 'ahhhh' part they must all (except perhaps Felder) be singing. It's the Eagles. Their harmonies as a group made them what they were. They weren't going to drop it for one song.

It was you who made the claim that only one member sang all the parts. I never agreed with this claim. I said I had never heard of an instance where this could have happened.

Scarlet Sun
06-16-2015, 06:39 PM
https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/ootnback.jpg
"Bernie, why don't you stand in back with Felder?" I've always wondered how that went over . . .

06-16-2015, 10:49 PM
Here is what I wrote earlier in this thread ... "I also like Visions. I don't think it's a great song, and it's not one of my favorites, but I do enjoy it. I never skip it when I listen to the album". I feel almost exactly the same way about I Wish You Peace as I do Visions.

As far as the harmonies on the song, it sounds to me like some of the band members may have contributed to them. Of course, none of us here knows for sure. Since there is no conclusive evidence that I'm aware of, all we can do is listen and speculate.

thelastresort
06-16-2015, 11:00 PM
With IWYP I've always wondered, since Henley has been so vocal to disown it, why it made the cut for the album in the first place? The only two reasons I've managed so far are because Bernie needed a lead vocal, despite already having two credits on the album; and since the album was only nine songs long, whether ideas were a bit thin on the ground, and IWYP offered the perfect filler and closer.

Something just doesn't click though, Glenn and Don H. always seem very reticent to discuss their output, yet Don has been very blunt in his verdict of it. If they were as controlling as they are perceived to be, why was it ever released?

Jonny Come Lately
06-17-2015, 06:56 AM
That's a really good point. I've sometimes thought that ATTIG was meant to be the closer. When you think about it the progression from the disillusionment of that song to Hotel California - the song and album - makes a lot more sense than it does from IWYP. I have wondered whether putting ATTIG as the final track on Greatest Hits Volume 2 was partly to make up for the fact that it wasn't closer on OOTN.

Another possible reason for the inclusion of IWYP, I would suggest, is that by this stage Don and Glenn were so keen to appease Bernie, who at that stage they probably wanted to try to keep in the band, to such an extent that they were willing to put a song they hated on the album just to make him feel wanted. This doesn't fit the 'control freaks' narrative, but then again why should it?

I find it interesting that in Heaven and Hell IIRC Don Felder says something along the lines of 'Don and Glenn hated I Wish You Peace'. It's well known that Don H in particular isn't a fan of the song, but Felder doesn't have much else to say about it as I recall. Maybe I am being too cynical but it suggests to me that Felder isn't crazy about IWYP either but that it wouldn't suit his agenda to say so.

I personally find it hard to believe that Don and Glenn did not write anything during this era beyond the five songs both their names appear on. The quality of the big three and ATTIG (HW I suspect has Henley/Frey lyrics but music by Bernie and Tom Leadon although I am guessing here) indicates that they were in a rich vein of songwriting form. I don't think it's inconceivable that strong Henley/Frey songs were lost in order to give the other band members a chance to shine, and it is possible these songs may have disappeared as they wouldn't have fitted the Hotel California concept. The lack of outtakes and unreleased songs means we may never know unless they tell us themselves. To me, this suggests that there was a desire to achieve some semblance of equality in the number of songs provided by each band member (which was lost on the next two records where Henley dominated the lead vocals and songwriting). There is a clear attempt to try and integrate Bernie's songs on the OOTN even though they don't really fit whereas there is little evidence of this happening for Randy on Hotel California where he has just the one song.

Given that we know there were at least two songs which were played live in 1973 after the release of Desperado and not used for On The Border, it shows that there must have been some reason to include IWYP specifically beyond simply having a Bernie vocal. The more I think about it, it's worth asking why Georgia Peach wasn't used - Bernie had only two vocals on OTB and OOTN combined (one per record) and it fitted Don and Glenn's desire for a harder rock sound in way that IWYP certainly doesn't.

UndertheWire
06-17-2015, 08:09 AM
Another possible reason for the inclusion of IWYP, I would suggest, is that by this stage Don and Glenn were so keen to appease Bernie, who at that stage they probably wanted to try to keep in the band, to such an extent that they were willing to put a song they hated on the album just to make him feel wanted. This doesn't fit the 'control freaks' narrative, but then again why should it?

That's in line with what I was thinking. There's an interview from September 1975 which mentions that Bernie had left a few times but had been persuaded to return. There was a fear that the band wouldn't survive a change in personel.

Bernie Leadon has said that he and his brother had written the music for Hollywood Waltz with different lyrics but Henley-Frey wrote new lyrics and named it. I wondered if they considered having Bernie sing it.

Scarlet Sun
06-17-2015, 10:18 AM
TThe more I think about it, it's worth asking why Georgia Peach wasn't used - Bernie had only two vocals on OTB and OOTN combined (one per record) and it fitted Don and Glenn's desire for a harder rock sound in way that IWYP certainly doesn't.
From what I understand, "Georgia Peach" was recorded during the Desperado sessions and may very well feature a Bernie/Randy double lead, with Randy's voice more prominent, perhaps because Bernie already had two vocals on the album.

UndertheWire
06-17-2015, 11:34 AM
"Bernie, why don't you stand in back with Felder?" I've always wondered how that went over . . .
I have to say that the one where Glenn's hair takes up so much of the frame makes me think of the Almost Famous t-shirt scene.

wrt to Georgia Peach, could it have been recorded for the On the Border album, in London with Glyn Johns, rather than for Desperado? Do the lyrics fit in with the outlaw theme?

Scarlet Sun
06-17-2015, 01:31 PM
I have to say that the one where Glenn's hair takes up so much of the frame makes me think of the Almost Famous t-shirt scene.

wrt to Georgia Peach, could it have been recorded for the On the Border album, in London with Glyn Johns, rather than for Desperado? Do the lyrics fit in with the outlaw theme?
The lyrics don't fit with the Desperado theme. It's just that it's listed as a Desperado outtake. Maybe it was recorded before Desperado became Desperado, or right after the album was finished. I'm making these guesses because the song is distinctly listed as not being a Glyn Johns On The Border outtake.

thelastresort
06-17-2015, 02:04 PM
Anyone got any links as to where Georgia Peach can be heard?

NightMistBlue
06-17-2015, 02:18 PM
From what I understand, "Georgia Peach" was recorded during the Desperado sessions and may very well feature a Bernie/Randy double lead, with Randy's voice more prominent, perhaps because Bernie already had two vocals on the album.

Gosh, that would be wonderful to hear. Too bad we'll probably never get the chance. Scarlet Sun, do you know if Randy's song "Wait and See" was ever recorded?

TLR: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3092

Scarlet Sun
06-17-2015, 02:21 PM
Gosh, that would be wonderful to hear. Too bad we'll probably never get the chance. Scarlet Sun, do you know if Randy's song "Wait and See" was ever recorded?

yes, it was

thelastresort
06-17-2015, 02:25 PM

Ta. I know I'm going to spend this evening listening to! ;)

NightMistBlue
06-17-2015, 03:24 PM
You'll need your bat sonar on sadly, the sound quality is dire!

I so wish the Eagles could be persuaded to release some of these gems, but they don't seem a bit interested in the reissue-with-rare-tracks trend. A loss for their fans.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/Shenandoah07/sad%20baby_zpslfjbfvzw.jpg

Funk 50
06-18-2015, 05:50 AM
Bernie Leadon has said that he and his brother had written the music for Hollywood Waltz with different lyrics but Henley-Frey wrote new lyrics and named it. I wondered if they considered having Bernie sing it.

Bernie has performed Hollywood Waltz, so he could have had the vocals snatched off him as they did with Felder and Victim Of Love.

I can imagine Don dragging his heels when the band were working on I Wish You Peace, so there could be more Leadon in the harmonies than normal but I'm sure it's not the first or last Eagles track that Henley thought was substandard, as he contributed his considerable talents as drummer/singer.

I'm sure the fact that he was a new boy, saved Felder's Visions. Neither the song or the lead vocal are really up to Eagles standard.

GlennLover
06-18-2015, 07:20 PM
I got this in a Google alert. My apologies if it has been posted before. I don't remember ever having read it. I know that it is Eagles In thePress. I'll post it there as well, but I thought it was appropriate here too.
http://www.thelegacyofmusic.com/2015/06/09/eagles-don-henley-en-glenn-frey-over-one-of-these-nights/

chaim
06-19-2015, 04:35 AM
I got this in a Google alert. My apologies if it has been posted before. I don't remember ever having read it. I know that it is Eagles In thePress. I'll post it there as well, but I thought it was appropriate here too.
http://www.thelegacyofmusic.com/2015/06/09/eagles-don-henley-en-glenn-frey-over-one-of-these-nights/

Glenn says: "We took it to L.A., put all the drone guitars and Felder’s solo on in L.A., and went back to Miami to put the vocals on in March."

This too supports my assumption that Glenn did most if not all of the harmonized guitar parts. The harmony (or "drone") guitars were done by "we", while the solo was by "Felder".
I think that either Glenn and Don played them together, or Glenn was being humble again and didn't find it necessary to emphasize that HE did those guitars as he had already started the sentence with "We took it to L.A."

Personally I think that there's a 2% possibility that Bernie was involved with that kind of guitar stuff.

UndertheWire
06-19-2015, 05:16 AM
I frequently see fans of Felder citing One of These Nights as a track that he should have had a songwriting credit on/ wouldn't exist without him. Is this something that Don has claimed, or just because of the bass-line and guitar solo?

chaim
06-19-2015, 05:34 AM
I frequently see fans of Felder citing One of These Nights as a track that he should have had a songwriting credit on/ wouldn't exist without him. Is this something that Don has claimed, or just because of the bass-line and guitar solo?

I think it's only because of the bass line. Some Felder fans (Don himself too, I think) probably think that he should have been credited, because that intro bass line is so distinctive.

But I never see Gene Simmons fans (or Gene himself) complain that Gene should have been credited on Paul's "Black diamond", "Firehouse" and (above all) "Love her all I can", because he wrote the riffs. 80% of "Love her all I can" is carried by the guitar/bass riff Gene wrote when Paul had already written the basic song. Gene didn't feel he needed to be credited on any of those, because Paul had written the basic songs already (chords, vocal melodies and lyrics). Like Glenn, Gene is very modest when it comes to his musical ability.

IMO Don F's story about OOTN is a bit weird. He has said that Glenn only had about one chord when he presented the idea. On the other hand Don F has said that he came up with the bass lines. So, did Glenn have the E minor chord written (:hilarious:) and Don F came up with the rest on the bass?

The KISS example:

KISS' "Love her all I can" had already been recorded by Wicked Lester, Gene's and Paul's previous band. The KISS version you can find below starts with Paul's rhythm guitar alone - a sort of "chord riff". What you hear Paul play in the beginning was what he originally wrote for the chorus in terms of instrumental ideas. In the Wicked Lester version Paul kept playing that throughout the choruses, but in the KISS version he only does it in the intro.

When the drum beat starts, you hear the bass (Gene) and the rhythm guitars (Paul & Ace) play a riff. Now, that was written by Gene, and he didn't ask for a credit. And Don F should have been credited, because he wrote the bass lines for OOTN? :headscratch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6WYUyRIMrA

VAisForEagleLovers
06-19-2015, 07:48 AM
I am one of those that felt Felder should get more credit for the bass track, especially the intro. Not necessarily songwriting credits. I guess because he's so well known for Hotel California, and while that song has grown on me in a live environment, I'll take listening to OOTN over HC any day, and the intro really does it for me.

UndertheWire
06-19-2015, 08:01 AM
From H&H:

The title track originally began life as an R&B song on accoustic piano, but it didn't sound right to me when Glenn first played it to us. Randy was stuck in Nebraska, snowed in, and couldn't get to the studio, so I told Glenn, "Wait a minute, I'll play bass." I came up with the introduction and bass figure. We played a couple of demo passes with me playing the bass part over Glenn's piano, and I wound up writing the entire bass line for the title track. When the weather finally cleared and Randy was able to fly in, I taught him what I'd written, verbatim, and we recorded it for the album. As long as the track came out good, I didn't care.

About "Visions":

I also wrote a song called "Visions," for which Don provided some of the lyrics..."
I took a look at the lyrics and they do seem to be more typical of Felder (going by his Airborne songs) than Henley.

Felder also says that Henley and Frey would go off and write and only emerge when they had a finished product and then the rest of them would come up with ideas on how to perform it.

NightMistBlue
06-19-2015, 12:07 PM
I'm sure the fact that he was a new boy, saved Felder's Visions. Neither the song or the lead vocal are really up to Eagles standard.

Tough crowd! :) Southern rock was getting very popular in the U.S. at the time (Lynyrd Skynyrd and others), so maybe that factored into it also.

I really like this song, it's a lot of fun, especially the backing vocals. The band sounds like they're having a blast, especially Glenn.

chaim
06-20-2015, 11:56 AM
I am one of those that felt Felder should get more credit for the bass track, especially the intro. Not necessarily songwriting credits. I guess because he's so well known for Hotel California, and while that song has grown on me in a live environment, I'll take listening to OOTN over HC any day, and the intro really does it for me.

Agreed. It's nice that Don gets mentioned for writing the bass lines, but an actual songwriting credit is another matter.

Funk 50
06-21-2015, 05:33 AM
Over the years I've gotten the impression that some famous song writers are stingy and some are generous when it comes to handing out song writing credits.
Bill Wyman said he came up with the riff for Satisafaction. One of the greatest hooks of all time. I've not heard anybody challenge Bill's statement, yet Jagger/Richards have the song credit. Sting was embarrassed to get a healthy cut of Dire Straits, Money For Nothing when Knopfler rephrased his "Don't Stand So Close To Me" as "I want my MTV"

Long Road Out Of Eden is credited to Henley, Frey and Schmit, yet the highlight of the track is Joe's guitar solo. To his credit, Henley. questions his songwriting credit for Doolin/Dalton which was apparently a pre-Eagles track.

One I can't quite work out is, to my knowledge, Don's only solo composition, A Month Of Sundays. Intro written by actress, Maren Jensen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maren_Jensen.

I'm not a fan of Felder's intro to One Of These Nights but I think it's worth a writing credit. Judging by the sleeve notes, it looks like the rationing of song writing credits, on some Eagles albums, was predetermined before the albums were made.

In hindsight, the mid seventies were Bernie's creative peak as a songwriter. Great picker, fantastic harmony singer, not so hot or committed song writer.

thelastresort
06-21-2015, 08:08 AM
Further to Funk 50's example above, I believe Black Sabbath (at least in the early days) always used to credit every song to all four members as they believed that nothing would be the same if one of them wasn't there. In reality it was usually guitarist Tony Iommi who came up with the music, and bassist Geezer Butler who came up with the lyrics.

UndertheWire
06-21-2015, 09:43 AM
When we've discussed credits elsewhere, I think it was said that the legal copyright of a song is just the lyrics and vocal melody and the rest is just the arrangement. Indeed, when you ask someone about a song, they will usually just sing the lyrics. Part 2 of the doc has a good example when a group of people are asked what they are looking forward to hearing and they sing the words "One of the nights...". No one sings the baseline and the song is quite recognisably without any of the instrumentation.

Further support to the idea that the OOTN bassline is just an arrangement comes from Felder's description. The bass was added to a song that had already been written. It changed the sound of the track but not the song.

However, it does seem that the band sometimes gives songwriting credits for the music (beyond vocal melody) or riffs and this seems to be when the song started with that music eg Witchy Woman, Hotel California, Victim of Love, Hotel California.

As I said the other day, I believe Felder wrote a lot of the lyrics of Visions as well as the music because it's more his style than Henley's.

I wonder what the copyright position is on instrumentals.

Jonny Come Lately
06-21-2015, 09:59 AM
Over the years I've gotten the impression that some famous song writers are stingy and some are generous when it comes to handing out song writing credits.
Bill Wyman said he came up with the riff for Satisafaction. One of the greatest hooks of all time. I've not heard anybody challenge Bill's statement, yet Jagger/Richards have the song credit. Sting was embarrassed to get a healthy cut of Dire Straits, Money For Nothing when Knopfler rephrased his "Don't Stand So Close To Me" as "I want my MTV"

Long Road Out Of Eden is credited to Henley, Frey and Schmit, yet the highlight of the track is Joe's guitar solo. To his credit, Henley. questions his songwriting credit for Doolin/Dalton which was apparently a pre-Eagles track.

Joe's guitar solo on Long Road Out Of Eden and therefore I believe is not considered part of the composition so he shouldn't be credited as a writer there IMO. I agree that it is a highlight but that is neither here or there when it comes to songwriting credits - he isn't credited on Hotel California either. To give another example, David Gilmour's guitar solo is by far my favourite part of Pink Floyd's Another Brick In The Wall Part 2, but the song is credited solely to Roger Waters as Gilmour's contribution was just the solo.

In Mark Knopfler's case I suspect he was quite content to give Sting part of the credit (barely deserved in my view - especially as Sting himself sings the 'I want my MTV' lines, not Knopfler, and the song would have worked fine without it in my view) because he was otherwise the sole songwriter in Dire Straits and therefore giving credit for one of just two songs which used elements of other compositions (the other being Tunnel Of Love, which did need to credit Rodgers and Hammerstein for the Carousel Waltz introduction) was not a big deal to him as he didn't need to worry about not being recognised for his writing in the way that someone in a band with multiple writers would be.

I hadn't heard that Don Henley had questioned his writing credit on Doolin-Dalton, but I did once read that he wasn't quite sure whether he merited being credited for James Dean. Is this an indication that those two songs were for the most part written together by Glenn, Jackson Browne and J.D. Souther and that Don only became involved at a later stage? James Dean IIRC was written for their second album before it became Desperado and was left until On The Border so it isn't inconceivable that it was written around the same time as Doolin-Dalton, especially as both songs focus on anti-hero/rebel characters.

UndertheWire
06-21-2015, 12:13 PM
My impression is that both Doolin-Dalton and James Dean were started before Henley joined the Souther-Browne-Frey writing team, so he may have just helped with the polishing.

sodascouts
06-21-2015, 08:48 PM
Yes, both of those were from the Longbranch Pennywhistle days, when JD and Glenn were living above Jackson. I always imagined Don added a bit lyrically or something to deserve the credit.

chaim
06-22-2015, 12:05 AM
Further to Funk 50's example above, I believe Black Sabbath (at least in the early days) always used to credit every song to all four members as they believed that nothing would be the same if one of them wasn't there. In reality it was usually guitarist Tony Iommi who came up with the music, and bassist Geezer Butler who came up with the lyrics.

Ozzy came up with vocal melodies, which are part of the "music". Take Paranoid, for example. IMO there are two memorable things musically - Tony's intro riff and Ozzy's syncopated verse melody.

Bill Ward, as far as I know, was the only one who didn't contribute to the actual composing and lyric writing.

chaim
06-22-2015, 12:15 AM
When we've discussed credits elsewhere, I think it was said that the legal copyright of a song is just the lyrics and vocal melody and the rest is just the arrangement. Indeed, when you ask someone about a song, they will usually just sing the lyrics. Part 2 of the doc has a good example when a group of people are asked what they are looking forward to hearing and they sing the words "One of the nights...". No one sings the baseline and the song is quite recognisably without any of the instrumentation.

Further support to the idea that the OOTN bassline is just an arrangement comes from Felder's description. The bass was added to a song that had already been written. It changed the sound of the track but not the song.

However, it does seem that the band sometimes gives songwriting credits for the music (beyond vocal melody) or riffs and this seems to be when the song started with that music eg Witchy Woman, Hotel California, Victim of Love, Hotel California.

As I said the other day, I believe Felder wrote a lot of the lyrics of Visions as well as the music because it's more his style than Henley's.

I wonder what the copyright position is on instrumentals.

This post sums up how I understand it. I don't actually know how it goes officially, but all of this makes perfect sense and fits everything I've seen.

As for people being generous about songwriting credits...Sometimes people tend to give a credit for the tiniest thing and sometimes they wouldn't like to share the writing credit even if the other person wrote a huge part. Neil Young used a line by someone else ("It's better to burn out than it is to rust") in a song of his, and gave him a credit for that.

On the other hand, there are Beatles lyrics that were written with various people (including non-members) suggesting lines that were used. It has been said that the line about Father McKenzie darning his socks in "Eleanor Rigby" came from Ringo, for example. But, if I remember correctly, later McCartney was reluctant to admit even John contributing anything. The official credit, of course, in those days was "Lennon/McCartney". But I think it says "Lennon/McCartney/Starkey" on "What goes on", so it's not that the "Lennon/McCartney" credit was set in stone whoever contributed.

thelastresort
06-22-2015, 12:19 PM
Ozzy came up with vocal melodies, which are part of the "music". Take Paranoid, for example. IMO there are two memorable things musically - Tony's intro riff and Ozzy's syncopated verse melody.

Bill Ward, as far as I know, was the only one who didn't contribute to the actual composing and lyric writing.

Indeed, Tony would usually pull out the riff and chord progressions and Ozzy would say things entirely spontaneously (and often nonsensical) to get a feel for the vocal, then usually him and Geezer would work through and create proper lyrics - I am tempted to believe however that Geezer played a huge part in Paranoid since Ozzy didn't actually know what paranoid meant :lol: In cases where the words came first and music second, I believe Geezer was usually the sole lyricist.

I think you could also argue to an extent Ward's drumming was an integral part of the music, ergo warranted his credits - look at the likes of Iron Man and War Pigs. His performance at Paris 1970 is still the best live drumming performance I've ever seen, he was going for it like a madman.

chaim
06-22-2015, 12:35 PM
Indeed, Tony would usually pull out the riff and chord progressions and Ozzy would say things entirely spontaneously (and often nonsensical) to get a feel for the vocal, then usually him and Geezer would work through and create proper lyrics - I am tempted to believe however that Geezer played a huge part in Paranoid since Ozzy didn't actually know what paranoid meant :lol: In cases where the words came first and music second, I believe Geezer was usually the sole lyricist.

I think you could also argue to an extent Ward's drumming was an integral part of the music, ergo warranted his credits - look at the likes of Iron Man and War Pigs. His performance at Paris 1970 is still the best live drumming performance I've ever seen, he was going for it like a madman.

Yeah, it's true you could say that. But on the other hand you could also say that it's not part of the songwriting. Both views can be argued. But IMO you couldn't possibly argue that Ozzy's melodies are not part of the songwriting. Yet in rock'n'roll lots of people don't seem to think that vocal melodies are part of the "music". I've talked about this before. For some reason for many rock fans "music" is guitar riffs and chord progressions - not vocal melodies.

They did a Black Sabbath album on "Classic albums". Was it Paranoid? Anyway, they played some early versions with Ozzy's initial vocal ideas - before Geezer wrote the actual lyrics. The final lyrics weren't there, but the melodies were. Personally I was surprised when I saw that show. I had always thought that Ozzy didn't write even vocal melodies.

NightMistBlue
06-22-2015, 01:20 PM
Yet in rock'n'roll lots of people don't seem to think that vocal melodies are part of the "music". I've talked about this before. For some reason for many rock fans "music" is guitar riffs and chord progressions - not vocal melodies.

They should try to write a good melody sometime - it's the most crucial part of the song, IMO. Sadly it seems to be a dying art.

I think that's why Glenn has become an educator on songwriting in recent years. He sees that it's gone into decline somewhat.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-22-2015, 01:28 PM
In the discussion that UTW mentioned, there were various links to help support different interpretations of who gets credit. I can't search for it now, but I believe we ended the discussion with it possibly being different in each country (legally), and different with each group of songwriters. For instance there might be basic criteria of who gets credit, and some bands/songwriters may choose to expand it. For our guys, it seems to be whomever contributes to the chord progression, lyrics, and melody, and anything else is arrangement and harmonies. When you think about an artist doing a cover of a song, they may put their own spin on it, different arrangements, different keys, different intros, but they don't get partial writing credit for doing it.

chaim
06-22-2015, 01:31 PM
They should try to write a good melody sometime - it's the most crucial part of the song, IMO. Sadly it seems to be a dying art.

I think that's why Glenn has become an educator on songwriting in recent years. He sees that it's gone into decline somewhat.

I've heard about this before. Are there any video clips or web sites in the internet about this?

NightMistBlue
06-22-2015, 01:42 PM
I've heard about this before. Are there any video clips or web sites in the internet about this?

In the Glenn Frey section of this site, there is a thread about Glenn speaking at New York University - that's a really good discussion, with a lot of detail provided on what Glenn said (thanks again, ladies!). Here's a little article about it: http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=803359

There is also an audio interview on a songwriting web site. You have to join the site, but it's free. I can't remember the name of the site but I'm sure it's mentioned in the NYU thread.

chaim
06-22-2015, 02:30 PM
In the Glenn Frey section of this site, there is a thread about Glenn speaking at New York University - that's a really good discussion, with a lot of detail provided on what Glenn said (thanks again, ladies!). Here's a little article about it: http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=803359

There is also an audio interview on a songwriting web site. You have to join the site, but it's free. I can't remember the name of the site but I'm sure it's mentioned in the NYU thread.

Thanks!!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-22-2015, 03:25 PM
Thanks!!

Try Art of the Song. I know accessing it through their Facebook page is something that can be done without joining, but paging back to the late spring/early summer of 2012 might be a bit much, but there's probably a link to their website and it can be searched on if the link isn't in the press and discussion about After Hours thread.

In the past few years, there have been tweets and references to Glenn teaching at NYU, a songwriting class. They are throughout Glenn's press thread. It's almost enough for me to want to take up an interest in songwriting, but alas, I think I'll stick with software since I've never been able to speak in rhyme.

sodascouts
06-22-2015, 03:34 PM
I've written rhyming poetry but trying to figure out a melody for it that's original... no dice. I did come up with an original melody I called "Black Keys" which I wrote on piano but I was self-aware enough to realize it was crap. I envy the talent of songwriters!

NightMistBlue
06-22-2015, 03:43 PM
Remember what Bob Seger told Glenn: your first songs WILL be bad, but keep on writing. The more you write, the more ideas will come to you.

Thank you, VA - it's Art of the Song I was trying to remember. Glenn's interview is here:
https://standingoproject.com/interviews/all?combine=&page=2

AlreadyGone95
06-22-2015, 03:58 PM
I tried to write songs a few years ago. My teachers had always praised my writing and my way with words, but since I can't play any instrument, the lyrics were just words on a piece of paper. I quickly scratched out being a songwriter off of my potential occupations list. I also tried to just write, mostly short stories (I suck at writing poetry). Unfortunately, I got alot discouragement from both my classmates and my mom, so I scratched that off as well.
I guess that the old adage "practice makes perfect" will always be true. If you want to be good at something, you have to stick to it through thick and thin.
I envy those who have natural talent for writing. That's a talent that I think is becoming less and less popular.

NightMistBlue
06-22-2015, 04:17 PM
There are songwriters who don't play an instrument. Some people just use their voice, and others just know enough of an instrument to peck out some chords. There are people who "only" write lyrics, such as Bernie Taupin and Tim Rice, and are fabulously wealthy from doing so.

Jim Morrison couldn't play an instrument but heard songs fully formed in his mind. He would sing them to the other Doors and they would figure out the notes and chords.

chaim
06-22-2015, 04:25 PM
I've written rhyming poetry but trying to figure out a melody for it that's original... no dice. I did come up with an original melody I called "Black Keys" which I wrote on piano but I was self-aware enough to realize it was crap. I envy the talent of songwriters!

There are many "classic" singer/songwriter songs that are absolute crap as far as I'm concerned - songs whose greatness I will never understand. Graham Nash's "Our house" is one of them. Don't be too hard on yourself. Every heartfelt song has an audience - even if it's just one person.

chaim
06-22-2015, 04:27 PM
I tried to write songs a few years ago. My teachers had always praised my writing and my way with words, but since I can't play any instrument, the lyrics were just words on a piece of paper. I quickly scratched out being a songwriter off of my potential occupations list. I also tried to just write, mostly short stories (I suck at writing poetry). Unfortunately, I got alot discouragement from both my classmates and my mom, so I scratched that off as well.
I guess that the old adage "practice makes perfect" will always be true. If you want to be good at something, you have to stick to it through thick and thin.
I envy those who have natural talent for writing. That's a talent that I think is becoming less and less popular.

I wish you hadn't.

UndertheWire
06-22-2015, 04:38 PM
From the Ol'55 reference, I think Jackson is talking about Eagles song-writing for One of These Nights and Hotel California:

JB: You know what’s great? It’s when your friends become your heroes. Like they’re already like—they kept growing and they kept like taking on more and more of the—they just challenged themselves and took on more and more terrain. I think that they you know grew musically as well as lyrically and you know they went—I was, just for the record, I was always sort of against them stopping writing with everybody else and sort of just doing their own songs. I mean I just sort of said, “You guys sing other people’s songs so well; why would you not avail yourself of these great songs? I mean, you did that great version of ‘Ol’ 55’ by Tom Waits.” And they just said, “No, we just want to write—
EA: Which Tom Waits hated—
JB: “We only want to write our own songs, and we just want to do our songs.” But it, you know, it was also—it was kind of an ambition. They knew that’s how you make money, as well. And if they were going to succeed, they were going to succeed with their own material. They demanded it of themselves, and the songs got really good. I thought the songs got—I mean, they’re so memorable and so—and they did continue to write with J. D. I think the time I sat down with them in their writing style, where everybody sits down and they’re like—it looks a lot like a poker game but it’s really, they’re sitting—I couldn’t keep up. I was just slow. I’m slow. I’m a slow writer. And I’d be thinking about the line, and I’d go, “Okay, I got it.” And I’d come up out of my meditative little pause, and they’d have moved on. They’d say, “Oh no, no, no. We got that. Now we’re over on this part of the song.” And I’m thinking, “This kind of writing’s not for me.” But a lot of the songs that are collaborations aren’t really that kind of collaboration—
http://www.thenation.com/article/181883/eric-alterman-and-katrina-vanden-heuvel-interview-jackson-browne#

VAisForEagleLovers
06-22-2015, 04:47 PM
Excellent find, UTW!!!!!! Interesting reading.

sodascouts
06-22-2015, 05:30 PM
From the Ol'55 reference, I think Jackson is talking about Eagles song-writing for One of These Nights and Hotel California:

http://www.thenation.com/article/181883/eric-alterman-and-katrina-vanden-heuvel-interview-jackson-browne#

That is really interesting! It also explains why they didn't write more with Jackson Browne.

sodascouts
06-22-2015, 05:41 PM
My impression is that both Doolin-Dalton and James Dean were started before Henley joined the Souther-Browne-Frey writing team, so he may have just helped with the polishing.

From Headliners:

"Jackson and JD Souther and I [...] wrote the song 'Doolin-Dalton' one night [in 1970], kicked it around, and never got much done on it [...]. Henley helped the three of us finish it up. [...] We all took a hand in [the lyrics]."

Brooke
06-23-2015, 10:03 AM
UtW, love that! Thanks!

UndertheWire
06-10-2016, 07:33 AM
From the banner, I guess it must be time to wish One Of These Nights a happy 41st birthday.

Gary Burden talks about the album cover.
http://garyburdenforrtwerk.com/2009/09/one-of-these-nights/

I believe that Glenn bought the sculpture.

shunlvswx
06-10-2016, 08:50 AM
Happy 43rd Birthday to One of These Nights.

GlennLover
06-10-2016, 09:26 AM
From the banner, I guess it must be time to wish One Of These Nights a happy 3st birthday.

Gary Burden talks about the album cover.
http://garyburdenforrtwerk.com/2009/09/one-of-these-nights/

I believe that Glenn bought the sculpture.

I know that Glenn got the artifact? that is on the cover of "The Very Best Of". Supposedly he bought it at a yard sale. The is a picture of him in his Aspen studio with it hanging on the wall behind him. In the photos in the real estate listing of his Aspen property you can see it hanging over a doorway. I'm going out so I don't have the time to search for the studio picture or the link to the listing (if it's still there), but I'll look later if nobody finds it before I have time.

sodascouts
06-10-2016, 09:55 AM
This album marks the point where the Eagles became hit machines.

Happy birthday One of These Nights!

buffyfan145
06-10-2016, 10:46 AM
Happy Birthday to "One of these Nights"!!! :D So many of their hits where on this, especially my favorite "Take it to the Limit"!!!

FWIW
06-10-2016, 11:01 AM
Happy birthday to One of These Nights! Take It To the Limit is the first song I remember hearing over and over again on AM radio. It got me hooked.

You find the most interesting articles, UtW. Thanks for posting the link to Gary's web page.

Brooke
06-10-2016, 01:59 PM
Happy Birthday, One of These Nights!

Awesomeness!

Annoying Twit
06-10-2016, 02:04 PM
Awesome album. Title track. TITTL. JotS. So many great tracks.

I remember a friend at school who decided he liked doing the school shows. In the shows he sort of sang in the show 'character voice'. But, we were driving out in the local mountain range and the song came on the car radio. He sang along with it and, some years after he first got involved in the show, that's when I realised that he could really sing. The falsetto bits at the end and all.

NOLA
06-10-2016, 07:45 PM
Happy 41st anniversary to One of These Nights!

Such a unique album in that all of them got a chance to sing lead. That didn't happen again until a few decades later with the release of Long Road Out of Eden.

Anyway, if the stars align just right, maybe Don will sing the title track on the tour. Would love to hear him hit those high notes, because I haven't heard it live since HFO. 🙏🏻

AlreadyGone95
06-11-2016, 03:07 AM
Happy (late) anniversary to One of These Nights.

It's either my second or third favorite Eagles album. (The list changes from time to time). I love almost all of the songs on it except I Wish You Peace (I only like it.) and After The Thrill Is Gone. (I know that I'm I'm the minority on this.)

Funk 50
06-11-2016, 08:10 AM
Happy 41st anniversary to One of These Nights!

Such a unique album in that all of them got a chance to sing lead. That didn't happen again until a few decades later with the release of Long Road Out of Eden.

The unique albums are Hotel California and The Long Run. Until Felder's lead vocal was replaced for Victim Of Love and probably Those Shoes too. Everybody in the band had, at least, one lead vocal. Felder certainly expecting it, it may even have been part of the agreement when he initially joined the band.

The instrumental, Journey Of The Sorcerer is the new ground that appeals most to me. They've done instrumentals before and since but always tied in with other songs. Could've done without the Banjo tho :bye:

Jonny Come Lately
06-11-2016, 05:16 PM
Happy 41st anniversary to One Of These Nights!

Although I recently ranked it last in the Favourite Studio Albums thread, I still really like this album! The three hits are all great songs, as is ATTIG, and I also really like Too Many Hands and Journey Of The Sorcerer, both of which I find to be interesting and unique additions to the Eagles canon. My overall favourite would have to be the title track - absolutely love the blend of the high vocals with the distorted guitars, as I've said before a perfect fusion of harder and softer rock. It's also probably the single most important album in me becoming an Eagles fan as it was the second album I heard after Hotel California (they were the two Eagles albums in my parents' collection) and this led on to me exploring the other albums.

06-12-2016, 04:09 PM
HAPPY 41ST ANNIVERSARY TO ONE OF THESE NIGHTS!!!

As Soda said, this is the album that really propelled the Eagles into super stardom and garnered the band their first Grammy. I absolutely love the 'big three' hits, and ATTIG. It is unique in that it is the only album that contains a lead by 5 different vocalist. In all the stuff that I've ever read, seen, or heard about the band, I have never heard any indication that there was anything in any members contract regarding lead vocals.

shunlvswx
06-10-2017, 10:03 AM
Happy 42nd Birthday to One of These Nights.

I like majority of the songs on this album expect 3.

New Kid In Town
06-10-2017, 10:30 AM
Happy 42 Anniversary to OOTN - It is my second favorite album. The only songs I don't care for are I Wish You Peace and Visions. Otherwise love all the other songs.

Soda - I love the new background.

shunlvswx
06-10-2017, 10:46 AM
Happy 42 Anniversary to OOTN - It is my second favorite album. The only songs I don't care for are I Wish You Peace and Visions. Otherwise love all the other songs.

Soda - I love the new background.

Those songs and Journey of the Sorcerer I don't like.

chaim
06-10-2017, 11:08 AM
A great album to listen to still. IMO the problem - if there even is one - with the Eagles discography is that at some point people (including the band members) started to think of their output as this "perfect songbook" and the songs that had the widest appeal (and were the most catchy) were accepted in this "perfect songbook". And the songs that didn't make the "perfect songbook" are seen by many as fillers. Even Glenn called the albums - including OOTN - "two or three songs deep". But if we forget the "catchy/mass appeal" criteria, there's a lot more to discover. A song is not bad even if it doesn't have the same mass appeal. I think OOTN contains songs that are great, but not great in the "mass appeal" way - songs like TMH and JOTS. "Bitter creek" from Desperado is an amazing piece of work (and in my experience more easily loved by people who hate the band) even though it could never be in the "perfect songbook".

EDIT:

In other words...People don't judge Bowie's "Life on Mars" with the same criteria as "Breaking glass". Sometimes it seems to me that all Eagles songs should be great with the same criteria. :(

New Kid In Town
06-10-2017, 12:41 PM
Chaim - I always loved "Bitter Creek" too !
Also agree about the "mass appeal" too.

Jonny Come Lately
06-10-2017, 01:10 PM
Happy 42nd anniversary to the One Of These Nights album! My personal favourite song is the title track, although I think ATTIG runs it close.

I tend to think of this album as being a bit like Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy in that offers a wide variety of musical styles - every song has a unique feel. The R&B influences, most prominently displayed on the title song, give it a different flavour from the earlier albums, but Bernie's presence in particular mean there is still some country rock, which also differentiates it from the two records that followed, particularly The Long Run. In a similar vein, while Glenn is less prominent vocally than he had been previously, unlike HC or TLR Don H was not yet the band's 'main' vocalist either. In this respect, it's also interesting that Bernie and Don F each play lead guitar (or equivalent) on roughly half of the songs on the album - the former on HW, Lyin' Eyes and IWYP (plus the banjo on JOTS) and the latter on the title track, TMH, Visions, ATTIG and I think TITTL.

A great album to listen to still. IMO the problem - if there even is one - with the Eagles discography is that at some point people (including the band members) started to think of their output as this "perfect songbook" and the songs that had the widest appeal (and were the most catchy) were accepted in this "perfect songbook". And the songs that didn't make the "perfect songbook" are seen by many as fillers. Even Glenn called the albums - including OOTN - "two or three songs deep". But if we forget the "catchy/mass appeal" criteria, there's a lot more to discover. A song is not bad even if it doesn't have the same mass appeal. I think OOTN contains songs that are great, but not great in the "mass appeal" way - songs like TMH and JOTS. "Bitter creek" from Desperado is an amazing piece of work (and in my experience more easily loved by people who hate the band) even though it could never be in the "perfect songbook".

I think this is absolutely spot on. I think I've had thoughts along these lines for some time, but you've put it into words perfectly. I agree that a lot of excellent deeper tracks are overlooked because of this, particularly on the Desperado album, but it also applies to OOTN. Journey of the Sorcerer, for example, is a highly unique song, not just in the Eagles canon, but by anyone in the rock world. I really like it, even though it's not a catchy radio song (I must say that in my experience, JOTS seems to be the most popular among people who otherwise hate or at least dislike the Eagles).

I think to some extent this has been reinforced by the band's post-1994 setlists, which have predominantly consisted of the 'perfect songbook'. In some ways this is a nice problem to have - in a 3 hour show which includes all (or almost all) of the band's big hits, once you include solo hits from Don, Glenn and Joe there is not much room left for other songs. And there are songs which were sung by Randy or Bernie which have not been played live since they left the band and which usually do not make it onto the compilation albums, TITTL excepted, so the casual fans who only bought the greatest hits CDs would know very few of their songs. Ultimately, I can only summarise by saying that I don't agree with anyone who says that the Eagles albums have only 2-3 good/great songs - there's at least five tracks on every album that I really like.

Scarlet Sun
06-10-2017, 01:20 PM
I think TITTL
I would guess Bernie, but i'm not sure either

Delilah
06-10-2017, 02:40 PM
Well-stated, Chaim and JCL.

The "big three" here are really big. They consistently rank in the top 10--often the top 5--of the various "best of" Eagles lists I've seen online. Of the 8 Eagles songs ranked by Acclaimed Music* in the Top 5000, these 3 from this album are included.

I enjoy all the songs on this album, though a couple are weaker than others. My two favorites are:

1. One of These Nights-- Don's vocal here is stellar, smoky and rich; then he hits those wild falsettos. I read somewhere that he was inspired to push himself to those reach high notes after hearing Randy sing his. I also read his then girlfriend, Lorelei Shellist, take some credit for it. Her appearance in the studio apparently caused him to try out the R&B-style falsetto, according to her book.

2. Take It to the Limit--can easily be swapped out with OOTN on even given day. The title has become a catch-phrase. Thanks to YT and the HOTE, there's more awareness of Randy's vocal talent. The song is a classic and has been covered often, from Willie Nelson to Cher to Etta James, etc.

I also love Too Many Hands, After the Thrill is Gone, and Journey of the Sorcerer. JOTS is so unique and showed the band was willing to do something different and outside the box. It's epic and the only full-length instrumental in their catalog (except for I Dreamed There Was No War, which is short and probably didn't involve all the band members). Lyin Eyes is a great song, has a good story but I'm a little tired of it. I heard so much when it was a hit, then it was on Urban Cowboy too. Still a classic two-steppin' song.

Hollywood Waltz and Visions have grown on me. I used to think HW was kind of boring, but I like it now. I wonder why Glenn didn't sing it though. Maybe he didn't want to sing another country song. I thought Visions was kind of a generic rocker at first but I've come to appreciate its galloping beat and Don F's husky vocals. He doesn't sound like that anymore.

I Wish You Peace is a nice song but it could be better. I don't care for the electronic doorbell chimey-sounds. The layers of music overpower Bernie's vocal so it's hard to really enjoy his voice.

Interesting that this is the only album that doesn't have a J.D. co-write or use any of the usual collaborators. It is pretty much an Eagles-only creation, aside from some input from Bernie's brother and girlfriend.

*acclaimedmusic.net statistically compiles published lists of songs and albums from a large number of sources. The last update was August 2015.

chaim
06-10-2017, 03:07 PM
I had no idea that Willie Nelson has recorded TITTL. But now that I read about it the song started playing in my head with his voice. It's a perfect song for him, never thought of that.

I agree about JOTS. If you look at it with the same criteria you look at the hits, of course it sucks. But it's an unbelievably atmospheric piece of music and it also works with the album cover IMO for some reason. I've read that the other band members didn't like it, but they sure worked on it - the orchestra and all. In fact, in some ways I'd put JOAS in the same category as Bitter Creek. Both are very atmospheric and laid back songs from Bernie.

Scarlet Sun
06-10-2017, 03:45 PM
I don't care for the electronic doorbell chimey-sounds.
Fender Rhodes?

chaim
06-10-2017, 04:12 PM
Fender Rhodes?

Yeah, probably Glenn's keyboard part. Makes the song even more syrupy, but I love it. :mrgreen:

Delilah
06-10-2017, 04:18 PM
I had no idea that Willie Nelson has recorded TITTL. But now that I read about it the song started playing in my head with his voice. It's a perfect song for him, never thought of that.

It's amazing the number of artists of different genres who have covered this song--blues, country, R&B/soul, pop. Etta James' version is outstanding.

Re: JOTS, I've been curious about the "Royal Martian Orchestra," whose membership is made up of Bernie and ??

Fender Rhodes?

I have no idea. Maybe Bernie used an actual doorbell the way he used real bird tweets in "Earlybird." :mrgreen:

EDIT: I just saw Chaim's response about Glenn's keyboard, which makes sense.

thelastresort
06-10-2017, 05:44 PM
Happy birthday OOTN! Not my favoruite Eagles album in any regard, but my word the three singles from it are superb from first to last.

In addition to the above, my highlights from it are the criminally underrated After the Thrill Is Gone ('What can you do when your dreams come try, and it's not quite like you planned?' and 'You don't care about winning but you don't want to lose' are two of my favourite Eagles lyrics ever, how Don H. / Glenn encapsulated so many emotions into a dozen words is beyond me) and Hollywood Waltz, a bit too soppy for my liking but the instumentation (especially the outro) is wonderful, and I really dig the chorus harmonies.

I'm mixed on the other four songs. By and large, I like them all, but, much as with the new material on HFO, I just can't help but think I'd like them better if they weren't Eagles songs. Visions is a decent, catchy song if you remove the context of Don Felder being a godawful lead singer compared to the other six Eagles. I suspect I'm in a tiny minority who like IWYP, but again, more as a Bernie Leadon song than an Eagles one. JOTS is too weird and sci-fi (the latter AKA unbearable gibberish) for my personal liking, but it's a reasonable composition. TMH is a strange one. Again the instrumentation is superb, but the rest of it doesn't really do anything for me.

NightMistBlue
06-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Cher covered TITTL? Lorelei Shellist wrote a book? I'm learning some unsettling things on this Forum. Best leave it lie for now.

shunlvswx
06-10-2018, 04:04 PM
Happy 43rd Birthday to One of These Nights. There's a few songs on there I don't like, but I like majority of the album.

New Kid In Town
06-10-2018, 08:02 PM
Released 43 years ago - wow. I love this album for the most part. The "big three" are obviously the best songs on the album. Delilah, I agree with you regarding OOTN and TITTL. I also love Lying Eyes and After The Thrill Is Gone. I would consider those four the best songs on the album. I do not care for Visions or I wish You Peace. I love Bernie but just not on that song. It is easy to see why this was their big, break-out album that made them rock stars. I could listen to those top three songs every day. It's amazing that those songs still sound great 43 years later.

On a side note, I did not realize that many people covered TITTL. Just MHO, but nobody does it like Randy.

YoungEaglesFan
06-10-2018, 08:14 PM
I obviously love the big 3 songs on this album (though I don’t care for Lyin Eyes as much as most others), ATTIG is a great song as well. But I also really like TMH and Visions. I think those are two great rocking tracks. Hollywood waltz is a pleasant song. IWYP is pretty weak but I think it’s a touching song. JOTS is just too long in my opinion. Overall a great album

06-10-2018, 11:24 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ONE OF THESE NIGHTS!!!

Since we aren't going to do a Survivor game for One of These Nights at this time, I thought we could revive the exercise for listing your favorites off of this album as we recently did for Desperado.

I'll go ahead and repost the 'rules' here. If you want to post your list, I'll recalulate the results and post them at the end of our celebration week. For older members who already contributed, you can repost your list if you like, but I won't include them in the final compilation.

So here goes - I'm going to recap how this works for those folks who may be new to this ...

This isn’t exactly a game, but more like a poll with no other purpose than to be an exercise of fun. I’m going to list all the songs on the album and ask folks to rank them in the order that they like the songs from favorite to least favorite. I’ll give folks a week to post their list in this thread, and then I’ll calculate the results so you can see how close your list is to the combined results.

I’ll calculate the lists like this. There are 9 songs on the album, so I’ll assign a point value of 9 points to the song that each person lists in 1st place, 8 points for the 2nd place song, and so on until the last place song gets 1 point as follows:

Song 1 – 9 points
Song 2 – 8 points
Song 3 – 7 points
Song 4 – 6 points
Song 5 – 5 points
Song 6 – 4 points
Song 7 – 3 points
Song 8 – 2 points
Song 9 – 1 point

For example, Person A puts the song ‘ABC’ in 3rd place so it gets 7 points; Person B puts ‘ABC’ in 5th place so it gets 5 points; and Person C puts ‘ABC’ in 6th place so it gets 4 points. So all total, the song ‘ABC’ gets 16 points. Then, Person A puts the song ‘XYZ’ in 1st place so it gets 9 points; Person B puts ‘XYZ’ in 4th place so it gets 6 points; and Person C puts ‘XYZ’ in 2nd place so it gets 8 points. So all total, the song ‘XYZ’ gets 23 points.

After I calculate the combined scores from everyone’s list, I’ll post the list in the order of which songs had the highest points to the lowest. You will be able to see how close your list comes to the “master” list. If others post a list after a week, I’ll update it with their scores. So here we go – the songs for the One of These Nights' album are as follows:

One of These Nights
Too Many Hands
Hollywood Waltz
Journey of the Sorcerer
Lyin' Eyes
Take It To the Limit
Visions
After the Thrill Is Gone
I Wish You Peace

Now, list these songs in the order of your most favorite to least favorite.

06-10-2018, 11:34 PM
Here is my reposted list:

1. Take It To the Limit
2. Lyin' Eyes
3. One of These Nights
5. Hollywood Waltz
6. Too Many Hands
7. Visions
8. I Wish You Peace

Freypower
06-11-2018, 12:02 AM
This is mine:
1. Lyin' Eyes
2. One Of These Nights
3. Take It To The Limit
4. Too Many Hands
5. Jouirney Of The Sorcerer
6. After The Thrill Is Gone
7. Hollywood Waltz
8. Visions
9. I Wish You Peace

My least favourite Eagles album, and as time marches on I become even less enthusiastic about it.

YoungEaglesFan
06-11-2018, 12:16 AM
1. One of these nights
2. Take it to the limit
3. After the thrill is gone
4. Lyin eyes
5. Too many hands
6. Visions
(Big drop off)
7. Hollywood waltz’s
8. I wish you peace
9. Journey of the sourcerer

shunlvswx
06-11-2018, 09:33 AM
1. One Of These Nights
3. Lyin' Eyes
4. Take It To The Limit
5. Too Many Hands
6. Hollywood Waltz
7. I Wish You Peace
8. Journey of the Sorcerer
9. Visions

The last three was hard to put in order since I don't like those three songs from the album.

groupie2686
06-11-2018, 10:16 AM
1. Lyin' Eyes
2. Take It to the Limit
3. Hollywood Waltz
5. One of These Nights
6. I Wish You Peace
7. Too Many Hands
8. Visions

New Kid In Town
06-11-2018, 10:25 AM
Great idea Dreamer ! Here are my picks:

1.) Lying Eyes
2. ) One of These Nights
3.) Take It To the Limit
4.) After The Thrill Is Gone
5.) Hollywood Waltz
6.) Too Many Hands
7.) I Wish You Peace
8. ) Journey of the Sorcerer
9.) Visions

YoungEaglesFan
06-11-2018, 12:09 PM
For the people who don’t like visions, what about visions do you not like? Is it Felder’s vocal, the lyrics, or the music? I’m just wondering, I know it not well liked but I’m curious as to why.

06-11-2018, 12:41 PM
Speaking for myself, I don't dislike Visions - in fact, I believe I like it better than many others on the board based on comments I've read. However, musically, vocally, and lyrically it doesn't measure up to most of the other songs on this album, IMO. I would rate it no better than an average song.

BillBailey1976
06-11-2018, 01:02 PM
1. One of These Nights
2. Take It To The Limit
3. Visions
5. Lyin Eyes
6. Too Many Hands
7. Hollywood Waltz
8. I Wish You Peace

thelastresort
06-11-2018, 02:31 PM
1. After the Thrill Is Gone
2. Take It to the Limit
3. One of These Nights
4. Lyin' Eyes
5. Hollywood Waltz
6. Visions
7. I Wish You Peace
8. Too Many Hands

scottside
06-11-2018, 03:13 PM
1. Lyin' Eyes
2. Take It To The Limit
3. Too Many Hands
5. One Of These Nights
6. Visions
7. Hollywood Waltz
8. I Wish You Peace

Brooke
06-11-2018, 03:55 PM
1. One of These Nights
2. Take It To the Limit
3. After the Thrill is Gone
4. Lyin' Eyes
5. Hollywood Waltz
6. Too Many Hands
7. Visions
8. I Wish You Peace

YEF, I just don't care for Felder's vocal. I just don't think he has a strong enough voice. Had Don or Glenn sung it, I bet it would have sounded a lot better. Jmo

Freypower
06-11-2018, 06:32 PM
For the people who don’t like visions, what about visions do you not like? Is it Felder’s vocal, the lyrics, or the music? I’m just wondering, I know it not well liked but I’m curious as to why.

Mainly the lead vocal & the lyrics. I find it corny & unconvincing, The harmonies are OK. They almost make it worth a listen. But remember I don't like most of this album very much, not just Visions.

Scarlet Sun
06-11-2018, 07:10 PM
1. One of These Nights
2. Take It To The Limit
3. Lyin' Eyes
5. Hollywood Waltz
6. I Wish You Peace
7. Visions
8. Journey of the Sorcerer
9. Too Many Hands

Delilah
06-11-2018, 08:15 PM
1. Take It to the Limit
2. One of These Nights
3. After the Thrill is Gone
4. Too Many Hands
5. Lyin Eyes
6. Journey of the Sorcerer
7. Visions
8. Hollywood Waltz
9. I Wish You Peace

On some days this could be my favorite Eagles album. I like Visions although it wouldn’t make my top 20 list.

An interesting article about the band’s first #1 album.

They reached it and more. The album stayed at No. 1 for five weeks, selling more than four million copies over the years and spawning three Top 5 singles: "One of These Nights," which made it to No. 1, "Lyin' Eyes" (No. 2) and "Take It to the Limit" (No. 4). It was also nominated for an Album of the Year Grammy, with "Lyin' Eyes" picking up a Record of the Year nod.

But it was all mere setup for Hotel California and, eventually, the band's legacy. Aside from the singles and maybe a couple others, One of These Nights dips in consistency along the way. By the time they started working on Hotel California the following year, they had picked up Joe Walsh and figured out how to make a great album from start to finish. Would they have gotten there without One of These Nights? Possibly. But they probably wouldn't have taken the chance.
(my emphasis)

“How the Eagles’ ‘One of These Nights’ Ended, and Started, an Era” by Michael Gallucci, Ultimate Classic Rock, June 10, 2015 (http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-one-of-these-nights-album/)

East Texas Girl
06-12-2018, 11:40 AM
My picks are:

1. Take It To The Limit
2. One of These Nights
3. Lyin' Eyes
5. Too Many Hands
6. I Wish You Peace
7. Hollywood Waltz
8. Visions

sodascouts
06-14-2018, 04:51 PM
1. Take It To The Limit
3. Lyin' Eyes
4. I Wish You Peace
5. Too Many Hands
6. One of These Nights
7. Journey of the Sorcerer
8. Hollywood Waltz
9. Visions

My My
06-14-2018, 10:36 PM
1. One Of These Nights
2. Take It To The Limit
3. Lyin' Eyes
5. Hollywood Waltz
6. Too Many Hands
7. Journey Of The Sorcerer
8. I Wish You Peace
9. Visions

This album is why it's hard for me to rate my favorite Eagles album. While I like the songs on "On the Border" and agree that there aren't fillers or songs I dislike, I really love songs 1,2, and 3 on this album. They are 3 of my favorite Eagles songs. Songs 8 and 9 I could do without!

06-17-2018, 11:14 AM
Okay - I am going to post the results of our poll. As I said earlier, I have tallied the results by combining the most recent lists with the results from the last poll. I am not including my own list or Freypower's, or Brooke's since we all participated previously. So, the top spot remains unchanged - the song with the most points is the Take it to the Limit. In second place is One of These Nights, followed closely by Lyin’ Eyes. So congratulations to the awesome Take It To the Limit and here are the rest of the results ...

1.) Take It To the Limit – 162 points
2.) One of These Nights – 152 points
3.) Lyin' Eyes – 146 points
4.) After the Thrill Is Gone – 137 points
5.) Hollywood Waltz – 91 points
6.) Too Many Hands – 83 points
7.) Visions – 60 points (tie for 7th and 8th place)
8.) I Wish You Peace – 60 points (tie for 7th and 8th place)
9.) Journey of the Sorcerer – 54 points

As always, thanks to those who participated and if anyone else wants to post their list, please feel free, and I will update the results.

shunlvswx
06-10-2019, 09:47 AM
Happy 44th Birthday to the One of These Nights album.

sodascouts
06-11-2019, 08:33 AM
This one made such a difference to the Eagles! Everybody thinks of Hotel California as their defining album and that's true now, but this album was when they really turned the corner in terms of becoming a rock'n'roll band and becoming huge hitmakers. This was when the Eagles "arrived."

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY OOTN!

06-11-2019, 08:54 PM
Very true, Soda - this was definitely the album that propelled the band to superstardom.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ONE OF THESE NIGHTS!!!

shunlvswx
06-11-2019, 09:25 PM
I agree. All the songs that was released from this album were all top 5 hits including a no. 1. They were starting to find their footing. I love majority of the album minus 3.

Do anyone know what song stopped Lyin' Eyes to become a no. 1 hit?

sodascouts
06-14-2019, 03:43 PM
I agree. All the songs that was released from this album were all top 5 hits including a no. 1. They were starting to find their footing. I love majority of the album minus 3.

Do anyone know what song stopped Lyin' Eyes to become a no. 1 hit?

"Island Girl" by Elton John (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywJ1MD4-Cns).

See the full chart here:

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1975-11-08
(https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1975-11-08)

I'm sorry Elton fans but...

UNWORTHY.

shunlvswx
06-14-2019, 05:26 PM

See the full chart here:

UNWORTHY.

Thanks, Soda. I don't think I've heard of that song. I may have, but don't remember how it goes. I'm looking at the charts during that time, I haven't heard of half of those songs. Luckily I know the artist.

OT: I was looking at the other years and The Long Run peaked at no. 8 the week I was born(my birthday is February 3rd).

sodascouts
06-14-2019, 09:55 PM
Thanks, Soda. I don't think I've heard of that song. I may have, but don't remember how it goes. I'm looking at the charts during that time, I haven't heard of half of those songs. Luckily I know the artist.

OT: I was looking at the other years and The Long Run peaked at no. 8 the week I was born(my birthday is February 3rd).

I didn't know "Island Girl" either. I went to YouTube to listen to it out of curiosity, and I was REALLY unimpressed. I linked to it in my post (just click on the song title).

I haven't heard of MOST of the other songs on that chart! Guess they didn't stand the test of time like the Eagles.

sodascouts
06-14-2019, 10:03 PM

OK, you inspired me to go look. During my birthday week (Dec. 9), "Best of My Love" was on the charts! Sure, it was number 61, but still! lol! Thanks for the idea. ;)

New Kid In Town
06-15-2019, 09:31 AM

See the full chart here:

UNWORTHY.

Soda - I agree ! LY most def should have been No.1.

New Kid In Town
06-15-2019, 09:34 AM
OK, you inspired me to go look. During my birthday week (Dec. 9), "Best of My Love" was on the charts! Sure, it was number 61, but still! lol! Thanks for the idea. ;)

Soda - HC was released on Dec. 8, 1976 and on the charts during your birthday week. A great birthday week. :-)

sodascouts
06-15-2019, 11:12 PM
Soda - HC was released on Dec. 8, 1976 and on the charts during your birthday week. A great birthday week. :-)

Now THAT is definitely something! Thanks!

WalshFan88
06-17-2019, 02:44 AM
Happy Anniversary to One Of These Nights.

I always call this album the "step in the right direction" Eagles record. On The Border scratched the surface, One Of These Nights really opened the door, and Hotel California sealed the deal.

sodascouts
06-17-2019, 12:47 PM
Happy Anniversary to One Of These Nights.

I always call this album the "step in the right direction" Eagles record. On The Border scratched the surface, One Of These Nights really opened the door, and Hotel California sealed the deal.

Yep. They were distancing themselves from country then. Little did they know that, decades later, they would cycle back to including some country tunes on their albums.

chaim
06-21-2019, 02:02 PM
As for slowly abandoning the country influences...for me Lyin' Eyes is easily the best song on the album. A song can be in any genre if it's that great. 😁

chaim
06-21-2019, 02:19 PM
I've often felt that certain things Felder played on this album may have influenced Glenn's lead playing in the future. The first couple of bars in the ATTIG solo is rhythmically similar to some things Glenn played later IMO.

WalshFan88
06-21-2019, 03:07 PM
I personally am glad they started ditching the country thing. They did have a few on LROOE but they weren’t my thing. I also wasn’t a fan of TGFY from HFO. By the time of The Long Run that country sound was just completely gone and wouldn’t be heard again until HFO.

WalshFan88
06-21-2019, 03:08 PM
I've often felt that certain things Felder played on this album may have influenced Glenn's lead playing in the future. The first couple of bars in the ATTIG solo is rhythmically similar to some things Glenn played later IMO.

I can see (hear) that for sure.

sodascouts
06-21-2019, 04:04 PM
As for slowly abandoning the country influences...for me Lyin' Eyes is easily the best song on the album. A song can be in any genre if it's that great. 😁

Very true.

sodascouts
06-21-2019, 04:05 PM

Interesting. Could you expand a bit on that?