PDA

View Full Version : Song questions

luvthelighthouse
06-11-2009, 10:18 PM
1) The only song I can think of that all members have writing credit on is Saturday Night. Are there any others? -Obviously, I mean "all" as the members at the time of song release.

2) Bringing this forward from another thread. Has Desperado always been the final song at their shows? I guess I'm only coming to realize this the past few months. (Yes, I do live in a cave)

3) (extension of #2) How do you feel about Desperado being the final song they play?

--------------------

I'm going to answer #3 here... Disclaimer: Only "my" opinion, do not stone me... I could really take or leave Desperado. For years, I would skip over that song when it came on CD rotation. Only this past winter did I actually begin semi liking it. Too me (oh goodness, I can't believe I'm sayin this, the lynch mob will be here soon:fear:)... but Desperado and Hotel California are so cliche. Now, let me clarify... I mean cliche like this; when someone is unfamiliar w/the Eagles (shame on them) you can usually get them to recognize the Eagles by saying, "you know, Hotel California, Desperado". I guess over played may be a better term.

For me personally, I think I would like Take It Easy as the last song. It's a nice good bye, see ya later, take it easy...

cynd1231
06-11-2009, 10:41 PM
1) I can't recall any other songs where all current performing members were contributors. There are plenty of collaborations between two/three of them, but maybe I've missed something.

2 & 3) I've seen the Eagles every time they've toured and I can't remember a show that didn't close with Desperado as their last number. Personally I'd be disappointed if they DIDN'T close with it....it's one of my favorites.

As for your comment about the lynch mob, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and we aren't always going to be in agreement. It's what makes the world interesting. To make my point, I like Hotel California but there have been some concerts where I could take it or leave it -- and I often used the opportunity to head out for a bathroom and beverage break. But I also respect those who live to hear that song. God love 'em.

Prettymaid
06-12-2009, 01:16 PM
I personally don't like it when a concert ends with a slow song. Besides The Eagles doing it Fleetwood Mac did it on The Dance with Songbird. It's not a big deal - I would just rather have them rock out. :headbang:

Freypower
06-12-2009, 06:44 PM
I was lucky enough to see the HFO tour when they closed with Desperado and then Take It Easy. Desperado featured Don on drums and Glenn on piano and like Dreamer, to me this is the way the song should be played. I think that Don doing that endless note during 'let somebody love you' is far too melodramatic. I am also not a fan of him taking the mic off the stand during the song (and I don't like this during The Long Run either, I have to say). To me this goes against the band being an ensemble that doesn't have a separate Lead Singer. I know that Soda thinks when he does this he takes the song to another level. I know that his real fans like seeing him move around.

Take It Easy to me should be the closing song because it's upbeat and it gets the crowd going and it was 'how it all started'. I don't know how they closed their shows in the 70s but I assume it was with Take It Easy.

thelongrun
06-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Yes, in other times the closers were TIE and also HC...

Freypower
06-12-2009, 08:36 PM
I am not aware that HC has actually closed a show. It used to be the first encore. In my opinion it still should be an encore.

The reversal of RMW and TIE as I have said elsewhere baffles me. I don't like to see TIE downgraded and a song which was not even recorded by the Eagles elevated in this way. I love RMW but it should not be the second last song.

anne-o-gg
06-13-2009, 12:30 AM
Take It Easy to me should be the closing song because it's upbeat and it gets the crowd going and it was 'how it all started'.

Oh, I 100% agree with this...that would be such a fun way to end the show - maybe even add a enterlude to it at the end to make it longer... :thumbsup:

Koala
06-13-2009, 02:15 AM
Take It Easy to me should be the closing song because it's upbeat and it gets the crowd going and it was 'how it all started'.
I can agree, too.

Take It Easy would be a really good song at the end of the show,
however I find Desperado at the end is also very well.

Brooke
06-13-2009, 09:49 AM
I was lucky enough to see the HFO tour when they closed with Desperado and then Take It Easy. Desperado featured Don on drums and Glenn on piano and like Dreamer, to me this is the way the song should be played. I think that Don doing that endless note during 'let somebody love you' is far too melodramatic. I am also not a fan of him taking the mic off the stand during the song (and I don't like this during The Long Run either, I have to say). To me this goes against the band being an ensemble that doesn't have a separate Lead Singer. I know that Soda thinks when he does this he takes the song to another level. I know that his real fans like seeing him move around.

Take It Easy to me should be the closing song because it's upbeat and it gets the crowd going and it was 'how it all started'. I don't know how they closed their shows in the 70s but I assume it was with Take It Easy.

This says it all for me, too, Fp.

I would rather leave the show on an upbeat note than a sad one, too.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-14-2009, 12:45 AM
Yeah - as far as I know, Desperado has been the closer since HFO. At this point I don't mind it - I guess I'm just use to it. I definitely prefer them performing it with Don on drums and Glenn on piano, but it is also nice to have Don front and center sometimes. As far as Don taking the mike out of the stand, that doesn't bother me at all. Considering that both Don and Glenn close their solo shows with Desperado tells me that they both like it as the closer, and, therefore, I ain't gonna hold my breath waiting for a change anytime soon. I do agree with those of you that think TIE would be a great closer since it is upbeat and their first hit.

Now as far as the encore, I would personally like to see them go back to two encores. However, that probably won't happen either. If they are going to keep one encore with TIE, RMW, and Desperado, then I think that RMW should be in the middle. It seems to me that the most important position of songs in an encore are the opener and closer.

DonFan
06-14-2009, 09:05 AM
I think that Don doing that endless note during 'let somebody love you' is far too melodramatic. I am also not a fan of him taking the mic off the stand during the song (and I don't like this during The Long Run either, I have to say). To me this goes against the band being an ensemble that doesn't have a separate Lead Singer. I know that Soda thinks when he does this he takes the song to another level. I know that his real fans like seeing him move around.

Count me in his group of "real" fans then, because I like to see Don move around too. I completely agree with Soda that it does take the song to another level. As with my well-documented dislike of plaid, FP has always voiced her dislike whenever Don leaves his drum kit. Glenn is ALWAYS out front--believe me, Don fans like to see him come front and center sometimes too.

TimothyBFan
06-15-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm afraid I am one of those that thinks Desperado is overplayed and is not one of my favorites because of that. Of course you can't leave it out of a concert no more than you can HC, but I do agree that it would be better placed somewhere in the middle of the concert instead of the final song.

As far as Don holding the microphone? -no biggie to me. I could care less, it's actually a little refreshing to see something from the norm for them.

sodascouts
06-15-2009, 10:01 AM
1. I can't think of any other songs all the Eagles have written together besides Saturday Night.

2. As others have noted, Take It Easy used to close the show back during HFO. Prior to that:
Long Run tour - sometimes closed with Best of My Love, sometimes Take It Easy, sometimes All Night Long
Hotel California tour - sometimes closed with Best of My Love, sometimes Carol
One of These Nights tour - sometimes closed with Tequila Sunrise, sometimes Best of My Love
On the Border tour - closed with Tequila Sunrise
Desperado tour - closed with Dream Baby
Eagles LP tour - closed with Earlybird

3. I like Desperado fine as the last song; as has been noted, both Glenn and Don seem to like to "take it down" a notch at the end, and the audience responds well. I also liked it better when Glenn was at the keyboards, Don was at the drums, and they did it "old school" but oh well. At this point, though, I'd like to have them shake things up a bit and do another song last just for the sake of being different. Right now, the only way they seem to be "shaking things up" is by dropping songs and rearranging things to fill the holes.

I think putting TIE as the first encore spot is actually a place of prominence. When the band comes out and goes into those familiar strains, the crowd erupts. It works great, IMHO - and that's what's important.

Troubadour
06-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Count me in his group of "real" fans then, because I like to see Don move around too. I completely agree with Soda that it does take the song to another level. As with my well-documented dislike of plaid, FP has always voiced her dislike whenever Don leaves his drum kit. Glenn is ALWAYS out front--believe me, Don fans like to see him come front and center sometimes too.

Agreed. (Apart from the plaid thing, but you know that anyway! ;)) I love watching Don at the drums, but I really enjoy watching him out front, either with a guitar or just a mic, getting the chance to perform a bit. His performance of The Long Run is one of my favourite bits of F1, and I can't wait to see it on this tour. He really gets into it and his soulful side comes out, as it does in Desperado. I can understand the desire to 'leave the show on a high' but the 'high' does not just rest on the last song - it rests on the couple of hours preceding it, too. I totally agree with Soda about Take It Easy. It's a fantastic encore-opener.

skibum1606
06-15-2009, 09:06 PM
as far as Desperado gos i would love to see the reprise tacked on the end and moved up to close the first set. i would love to see them close with IWYP but i know that would never happen, it would be nice though if they changed it up, i like the idea of them closing with TIE or maybe even bringing back something like Earlybird.

luvthelighthouse
06-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Changing pace here... but it is a song question, so I'll put it here...

I've been listening to You Never Cry Like a Lover a lot lately and trying to relate to it... but I can't.

What in the world is it even supposed to mean? Exactly, how should a lover cry? Should a woman be so overcome w/emotion that she breaks down because you just made the best love to her? :yuck:

Anyone actually enjoy or relate to this song?

Freypower
06-30-2009, 08:24 PM
In my case I have never been able to relate to the song. He seems to be blaming her for the entire failure of the relationship. People can be 'cold' or even 'frigid' and perhaps that is what he thinks she is.

sodascouts
07-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Not to be vulgar, but I took the "Cry like a lover" to mean the cries one makes at certain times during lovemaking. Her lack of "crying like a lover" indicates she is not being sexually responsive. Like most men, he gets defensive and blames her entirely.

GlennLover
07-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Hmm, I never thought of it being those kinds of cries. I must go back & review the lyrics with that meaning in mind. I always wondered about the meaning of the title too, but I never paid a whole lot of attention to the words as it is not one of my favourite Eagles' songs. :headscratch:

Ive always been a dreamer
07-03-2009, 11:05 PM
We've talked about this song on the board quite a bit, so I'm going to copy a lot of what I said in another thread. I agree with Soda's interpretation of the "cry" line, however, I've got yet another interpretation of the song overall. IMO, I don't think he is putting the blame all on the woman. At the very point in the song where the "try a little harder" starts, he switches over talking about himself. The lines are:

I can't live with you baby, can't live without it
And sometimes I believe in love
Sometimes I doubt it
But your life goes on
Like a broken down carousel
Where somebody left the music on

The "try a little harder" could apply to the man or the woman. As I've said before, to me, he is just lamenting over the fact that the relationship isn't working out for either of them.

In any event, I don't think it is any accident that the lyrics are left open for different interpretations. :wink:

Troubadour
07-05-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm inclined to agree with Dreamer's interpretation. I take it that he's lamenting the fact that there's not the passion there that there once was. Perhaps he is blaming her to a degree, but I agree with Dreamer's assessment of the lyrics she quoted. I think he appears sad about it, rather than particularly accusatory.

I remember an interview with Don - I believe it was from the Long Run era - where the interviewer asked him about this song and commented about the sexual aspect. Don kind of denied it and said something like "Crying isn't sexual". The interviewer then quoted the "sigh when it feels real good" bit and Don replied "Oh yeah. That part's about sex." He also mentioned a girl he was with who wouldn't do it with the light on. I think FP's 'frigid' comment is valid here!

But, overall, I just take it as mourning a lack of passion and feeling, rather than "loosen up, baby!" I think he does have genuine feelings for her. He remarks about the fact that she may have been through some bad relationships in the past, and also that he sometimes finds it difficult to fully give himself to the relationship. ("Sometimes I believe in love, sometimes I doubt it.") That's the way I've always thought about it anyway. Although I can see the other side of the coin.

sodascouts
07-06-2009, 12:35 AM
I can see what you guys are saying. Certainly there is room for interpretation. I love that the interviewer called Don on his claim that the song wasn't about sex, though. lol