PDA

View Full Version : Don & Tim on John Fogerty's Blue Ridge Rangers new album!

Brooke
06-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Newsflash: I don't think everyone saw this so thought I'd start a new thread with it.

June 7, 2009
FOGERTY WRAPS "THE BLUE RIDGE RANGERS RIDES AGAIN" SPRINGSTEEN, HENLEY, SCHMIT GUEST" (http://www.antimusic.com/news/09/june/09John_Fogerty_Completes_The_Blue_Ridge_Rangers_Ri des_Again_With_A_Little_Help_From_His_Allstar_Frie nds.shtml?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dayinrock+%28Day+in+Rock+Repo rt%29)

Relevant excerpts:

Also joining in were Eagles' Don Henley and Timothy B. Schmit who worked on Rick Nelson's "Garden Party."
Henley and Schmit's role in "Garden Party" was similarly simpatico. [...] "I loved the record," said Fogerty of Nelson's 1972 Top Ten hit. "Obviously, I identified with it." So, too, did Henley and Schmit who, says Fogerty, "were happy to be part of it."
(http://twitter.com/john_fogerty)

sodascouts
06-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Cool! Thanks for finding this!

Brooke
09-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Got this email today:

John Fogerty The Blue Ridge Rangers Rides Again - Available Today‏
Sent: Mon 8/31/09 4:18 PM

12 American Classics Done In The Legendary Fogerty Style

"A STRONG BACK-PORCH, COUNTRY VIBE"
-- ROLLING STONE

Album Includes:
"When Will I Be Loved" featuring Bruce Springsteen
"Garden Party" featuring Don Henley and Timothy B. Schmit
"Back Home Again" and "Change In The Weather"

Available now on CD, CD/DVD Deluxe Edition, digital download and 180 Gram vinyl.

AMAZON DAILY DEAL SPECIAL - TODAY ONLY!
Download the album today at Amazon for the special low price of $3.99.

The album is also available for download at iTunes.
You can order the physical CD from Amazon.

Free New York City Performance

John Fogerty will bring his Blue Ridge Rangers to New York's Historic South Street Seaport for a free concert on September 2 at 7p. If you're in the area, you won't want to miss this!

New York City Fans: Want A Chance To Attend a SIRIUS XM Radio Taping?

SIRIUS XM Radio is assembling a small audience of friends and listeners of JOHN FOGERTY for a special studio taping on September 4, 2009 in New York City (Manhattan).

Seating is limited. There are only fifteen (15) spots available and winners will be chosen based on the first fifteen (15) emails received. Each winner may bring one guest.

- Send an email to: artistconfidential@siriusxm.com
- Include "John Fogerty" in the subject line of your message or it will not be considered
- Include your full name, valid email and cell phone number

Wow! I'd love to get to go to that!

Ive always been a dreamer
09-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Go for it, Brooke! Maybe, Don and Tim will be making a guest appearance. :lol:

Freypower
09-01-2009, 07:45 PM
I wonder why John has re-recorded Change In The Weather? It is an early song of his solo career and is hardly an 'American classic'.

Don and Tim notwithstanding the track that most intrigues me is Back Home Again. Fogerty sings Denver - it seems very incongruous.

Prettymaid
09-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Sounds good!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002M9HRJY/ref=dm_dp_trk3?ie=UTF8&qid=1251849474&sr=8-6

conniek
09-01-2009, 08:59 PM
I pre-ordered mine through Amazon and listened to it last night. Very interesting. Love "Garden Party" with Don and Tim.

TimothyBFan
09-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the link PM---I love that!!!

Prettymaid
09-02-2009, 07:40 AM
You can easily hear Don's harmony. He's got such a distinctive voice. :grooving: :heart:

tbs fanatic
09-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Yep, definitely going to be picking this one up. :D

Prettymaid
09-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Amazon still has the MP3 Download priced at $3.99. It's $9.99 at Itunes!

Peekaboo
09-09-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm loving Garden Party. I downloaded the single from Itunes a few days ago and have had it on repeat for sometime now. It's a great song and Don and Tim's backup vocals make the song an instant hit, imo. I was so glad to hear Don and Tim do a little solo too. The harmonies on it are wonderful. Classic Eagles.

Prettymaid
09-09-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm loving Garden Party. I downloaded the single from Itunes a few days ago and have had it on repeat for sometime now. It's a great song and Don and Tim's backup vocals make the song an instant hit, imo. I was so glad to hear Don and Tim do a little solo too. The harmonies on it are wonderful. Classic Eagles.

That does it, I'm buying the single too!

Peekaboo
09-09-2009, 10:37 AM
That does it, I'm buying the single too!

Go for it, PM. You won't be sorry you did it.

sodascouts
09-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Off to buy the download!

Freypower
09-09-2009, 10:57 PM

I won't receive my copy for a couple of weeks. Do Don and Tim each do solo parts and if so on which lines?

I know that most people are focusing on Don and Tim here but is the line 'Yoko brought her Walrus' included? I have always found it hard to imagine John & Yoko going to a Rick Nelson gig.

Maleah
09-10-2009, 12:17 AM
Don sings "played them all the old songs, thought that's why they came, no one heard the music, we didn't look the same."

Tim sings "I said hello to Mary Lou, she belongs to me, when I sang a song about a honky tonk it was time to leave"

At least those are the lyrics as I understand them. :P

*ETA: Yes that line is included FP!

And I do have to agree that its very Eagles sounding. Don and Tim's harmonies are absolutely GORGEOUS!

sodascouts
09-10-2009, 01:31 AM
I know that most people are focusing on Don and Tim here but is the line 'Yoko brought her Walrus' included? I have always found it hard to imagine John & Yoko going to a Rick Nelson gig.

FP, it wasn't a Rick Nelson concert per se. It was a show where he was one of many performers, including Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, and Little Richard. Read more about it here: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2173/in-ricky-nelsons-garden-party-who-is-mr-hughes

I downloaded the song from iTunes. It isn't nearly as good as the original version IMHO - Forgerty's voice doesn't have Nelson's vulnerability - but it's very cool that both Don and Tim get to sing a couple lines by themselves! I agree that their harmony is great on it.

TimothyBFan
09-10-2009, 06:49 AM
I HEARD the commercial for this on VH1 Classics last night. By the time I got to the living room to see it, it was over. I heard about When Will I Be Loved with Bruce Springsteen and then it said something like someone said "You know that song Garden Party, wouldn't be cool if you got the Eagles to play on it?" I was hoping I would catch it again. It was on during Beatles Anthology last night (yes-I was watching the Beatles :hilarious:).

I bought the MP3 for Garden Party from Amazon with my $1.00 MP3 credit I received from my pre order of Expando! The best of both worlds right there!! :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
09-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Go for it, PM. You won't be sorry you did it.

I don't know...I need to be frugal with that $1.29... :hilarious:

Peekaboo
09-10-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't know...I need to be frugal with that $1.29... :hilarious:

It only cost me 99 cents on Itunes.

Prettymaid
09-10-2009, 12:33 PM
It only cost me 99 cents on Itunes.

All righty then, that definitely decides it! :nod:

TimothyBFan
09-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Check out this google alert I just got.

http://www.straight.com/article-255393/john-fogerty

The most interesting part (NOT!) is the only part I will bother to post!! Check out the link if you want to read the whole thing!

"and Rickie Nelson’s “Garden Party” (the latter made extra sucky by the vocals of Don Henley and Timothy B. Schmit)"

:censored::ack::enraged::fight::sword::cuss: and :steviesmack:

sodascouts
09-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Any online publication which employs the words "extra sucky" to describe a song in an album review has to be ESPECIALLY lame! No wonder they didn't appreciate Tim and Don. ;)

Freypower
09-10-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm buying the whole album because Fogerty is one of my heroes (if you remember I saw him in concert last year) and I would like to hear the whole album.

The Rolling Stone review was brief. I could not help thinking that if Bruce Springsteen had done a covers album they would have given it a page and raved about how 'iconic' it was. No offence to Springsteen fans but the endless uncritical adulation of him gets somewhat tiresome.

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/29607300/review/29716084/the_blue_ridge_rangers_rides_again

Brooke
09-10-2009, 10:24 PM
I can't decide whether to buy the cd or just download Garden Party. I actually had it in my hands tonight in Wally world, but put it back. I do love JF and we have the old vinyl of BRR, but I don't know about this one. :headscratch:

TimothyBFan
09-11-2009, 07:05 AM
Any online publication which employs the words "extra sucky" to describe a song in an album review has to be ESPECIALLY lame! No wonder they didn't appreciate Tim and Don. ;)

Excellent point!

Prettymaid
09-11-2009, 08:39 AM
With the recent attention I've been giving Glenn's solo songs for the Glenn Frey Video Survivor game I started thinking; wouldn't John Fogerty do a good job on I Found Somebody? I think his vocals would sound great! Right up his alley!

sodascouts
09-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Little piece of trivia - according to this article (http://www.thespectrum.com/article/20090911/ENTERTAINMENT04/909110322), apparently his wife Julie, who is also co-producer suggested Tim and Don appear on the album!

Don gets another mention:

While talking about "Garden Party," we see another side of Fogerty: his humility. The man behind CCR was actually surprised when Henley immediately agreed to sing on the song.

P.S. Is anyone else bothered by the grammar error in the title?

Freypower
09-11-2009, 07:30 PM
It obviously should be 'Blue Ridge Rangers RIDE Again' but then John was the whole (alleged) band. :eyebrow:

AzEaglesFan
09-13-2009, 03:48 AM
I just bought the whole album, after listening to it , it will probably never be one of my all time favorites but I did enjoy it enough that I'll play it again.Some of the songs I remember from when I was a LOT younger so I did enjoy hearing them again.

Brooke
09-15-2009, 02:39 PM
I downloaded the album over the weekend. It's very old school country. Can't say it will stay in the cd player very long at a time, but it's a fun change.

I played it for my husband (he has always been a big fan of John and CCR) and asked him if he could guess who's singing on Garden Party with John. He couldn't. Then when I told him he said, "so, that's why you bought it!" :thumbsup:

cynd1231
09-17-2009, 04:53 PM
For anyone sitting on the fence about buying this, go to JohnFogerty.com and listen to the clips available on the website. Must say I can hear the Don/Tim influence in Garden Party but don't know if I'd buy the whole CD just for the one song. All in all, if you like Fogerty you'll probably enjoy it.

Brooke
09-18-2009, 09:41 AM
John really does sound good on all the songs. It's just 'different'!

GlennLover
09-18-2009, 11:41 AM
You can hear the full songs of both "Garden Party" & "When will I Be Loved" (with Bruce Springsteen) at this link:
http://indymusic.wordpress.com/2009/09/12/john-fogerty-the-blue-ridge-rangers-ride-again/

When my husband heard that the album was coming out he remarked that he wanted to get it, so I' ll wait until he does. These two songs sound great, but after listening to clips of the other songs on the album, I think that they may be the best.

luvthelighthouse
09-18-2009, 09:32 PM
GL, thanks for the link, I just gave it a listen. I have to say, I love TBS and Don's voices together. Oh... wouldn't it be nice if those two did a duo CD... I'd be all over that! I enjoy their voices against each other, a la Waiting in the Weeds... and I also love when Don sings on Do Something.

Freypower
09-20-2009, 02:10 AM
All of this does beg the question.... was Glenn asked to participate in this? I suppose he wasn't. Don and Tim also sang together on Warren Zevon's album The Wind, which Joe played on, and as always Glenn was nowhere in sight. The only guest appearance he has made recently was on B.B. King's Drivin' Wheel and that was sadly very brief (vocally at any rate).

glenneaglesfan
10-22-2009, 06:04 AM
I'm so far behind here. I heard this song on the radio a couple of weeks ago and nearly jumped when the announcer said it was John Fogerty with Don Henley and Timothy B Schmidt! I've heard it since and this time picked up the harmonies and the solos of Don and Tim. Great song and the lyrics are fun.

Wikipedia has an interesting analysis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_Party_%28Rick_Nelson_song%29

sodascouts
10-22-2009, 09:55 AM
I've heard that story before - it is quite interesting! I hope the speculation is right that they weren't booing Rick, but rather security.

I'm sure Don and Tim can sympathize with knowing folks want to hear the oldies, but wanting to ply new material also even if it isn't received as well.

Freypower
10-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Now I've heard it, I thought Don sounded very different. I honestly preferred Tim's part. And nice though their harmonies are, I am afraid I feel there is something lacking.

I have to say I thought the collaboration with Springsteen, When Will I Be Loved, was superior.