PDA

View Full Version : Hotel California

Peekaboo
07-12-2009, 07:33 PM
I don't remember exactly how the song got brought up but during one of my breaks at work last night, a friend/coworker and I were arguing about the meaning of Hotel California. She claims that the song is about a mental institution. I've heard/read many theories on what the song is about but that was the first time I heard someone say that it is about a mential institute. I've even had somebody tell me that it's about vampires. I was thinking of as many quotes from Don and Glenn about the song as I could. Mostly what came to mind was what Don said in the 60 Minutes interview "It's basically a song about the dark underbelly of the American dream and about excess in America which is something we knew a lot about." We were still very much into our debate about the song when we had to get back to work. As soon as I get the chance I'm going to do some research and try to show her what the song is really.

If any of you have any suggestions or know of any links to point me in the right direction I would be very appreciative.

MikeA
07-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Wikipedia pretty much refutes anything other than the definition you stated Jess and backs it up with cited quotes from band members.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_California_(song)

Ive always been a dreamer
07-12-2009, 09:39 PM
I would tend to agree that Wikipedia's explanation is the most widely accepted interpretation today, particularly now that Don and Glenn have made numerous comments over the past years.

However, back in the day, the speculation as to the song's meaning and the interpretation of the lyrics was incredible. I don't think any possible stone was left unturned. Everyone from religious leaders to scholars to politicians were weighing in to add to the madness and hysteria of what the song was about. And to make matters worse, the band had very little to say at the time that would've helped set the record straight. Actually, it was a pretty good marketing strategy on their part methinks. :wink:

sodascouts
07-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Some quotes from Glenn about it:

"Don and I heard [Felder's demo] tape and said, 'Gosh, this is like Spanish reggae rock, this is really a bizarre mix of musical influences, this is great.' The music was entirely written by Felder, and Don and I wrote the chorus, and Don wrote most of the verses." ( 1988 )

"The song began as a demo tape, an instrumental by Don Felder. He'd been submitting tapes and song ideas to us since he'd joined the band, always instrumentals, since he didn't sing. But this particular demo, unlike many of the others, had room for singing. It immediately got our attention. The first working title, the name we gave it, was 'Mexican Reggae.'"

"For us, 'Hotel California' was definitely thinking and writing outside the box. We had never written any song like it before. Similar to 'Desperado,' we did not start out to make any sort of concept or theme album. But when we wrote 'Life In The Fast Lane' and started working on 'Hotel California' and 'New Kid In Town' with J.D., we knew we were heading down a long and twisted corridor and just stayed with it. Songs from the dark side -- the Eagles take a look at the seamy underbelly of L.A. -- the flip side of fame and failure, love and money. "'They stab it with their steely knives, but they just can't kill the beast' was a little Post-It back to Steely Dan. Apparently, Walter Becker's girlfriend loved the Eagles, and she played them all the time. I think it drove him nuts. So, the story goes that they were having a fight one day, and that was the genesis of the line, 'turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening' in 'Everything You Did,' from Steely Dan's The Royal Scam album. During the writing of 'Hotel California,' we decided to volley. We just wanted to allude to Steely Dan rather than mentioning them outright, so 'Dan' got changed to 'knives,' which is still, you know, a penile metaphor. Stabbing, thrusting, etc.

"Almost everybody in my business can write music, play guitar, play piano, create chord progressions, etc., but it's only when you add lyrics and melody and voices to these things that they take on an identity and become something beyond that sum of the individual parts. I remember that Henley and I were listening to the "Hotel California" demo tape together on an airplane, and we were talking about what we would write and how we wanted to be more cinematic. We wanted this song to open like an episode of The Twilight Zone -- just one shot after another. "I remember De Niro in The Last Tycoon. He's got this scene, and he's talking to some other people in his office. He speaks to them: "The door opens...the camera is on a person's feet...he walks across the room...we pan up to the table... he picks up a pack of matches that says 'The Such-And-Such Club' on it... strikes a match and lights a cigarette...puts it out... goes over to the window... opens the shade... looks out... the moon is there... what does it mean? Nothing. It's just the movies.'Hotel California' is like that. We take this guy and make him like a character in The Magus, where every time he walks through a door there's a new version of reality. We wanted to write a song just like it was a movie. This guy is driving across the desert. He's tired. He's smokin'. Comes up over a hill, sees some lights, pulls in. First thing he sees is a really strange guy at the front door, welcoming him: "Come on in." Walks in, and then it becomes Fellini-esque -- strange women, effeminate men, shadowy corridors, disembodied voices, debauchery, illusion... Weirdness. So we thought, 'Let's really take some chances. Let's try to write in a way that we've never written before.' Steely Dan inspired us because of their lyrical bravery and willingness to go 'out there.' So, for us, 'Hotel California' was about thinking and writing outside the box." (Very Best Liner Notes 2003)

Prettymaid
07-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Ticky posted about this in the Good for a Laugh thread...post #445.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208&page=45

MikeA
07-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Oh Lord: Read it again....still laughing:

The girl with kaleidoscope eyes! <LOL>LO>LO>brahahahahahaha

TimothyBFan
07-13-2009, 01:11 PM
I had forgotten about that!!! :hilarious: Who thinks of these things?

Brooke
07-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Can't you just imagine Don and Glenn reading that?! And the thing is, only Don and Glenn know for sure! They can say anything they want and, really, never tell the truth! :hilarious:

anne-o-gg
07-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Drugs...it's all about drugs. :nahnah:

I know this because my brother told me that when I told him I was going to see them in concert (a few months ago) - I tried to tell him that wasn't true - but my brother will NEVER admit he's wrong and will fight tooth and nail to be right...so I just let him believe it...

Prettymaid
07-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Drugs...it's all about drugs. :nahnah:

I know this because my brother told me that when I told him I was going to see them in concert (a few months ago) - I tried to tell him that wasn't true - but my brother will NEVER admit he's wrong and will fight tooth and nail to be right...so I just let him believe it...

It's either that or try to tell him it's about the seamy underbelly of L.A. (Glenn and Don's own words!) I don't think I could even use the word 'underbelly' without giggling...:laugh: :blush:

MikeA
07-13-2009, 08:56 PM
It's about disease...colitis namely. I'm gonna be laughing at that one for a LONG TIME!

The preacher who filled the pulpit at a contemporary non-denominational church I went to for a while heard me warming up before a Praise Service. I was softly finger-picking the arpegios to Hotel California and he came in the room and shut the door and "explained" to me what that song was about and earnestly urged me not to play "that kind" of music <LOL>. I imagine he called an emergency meeting of the elders to exorcise the building after that!

Yesh! What a EVIL song! There were a LOT of whacky lyrics in it. Her name was Tiffany Twisted, She drives a Mercedes Bends. I wonder if the lamp people appreciated the reference. And wonder if the Mercedes she drives has pressure problems resulting in Rapture of the Deep or causes drivers (or do I mean divers) to have to spend time in a decompression chamber after a long drive?

What about the 1969 reference? Man on the Moon? Last Public performance by the Beatles? Woodstock? Animals disbanded? Death of Brian Jones? Sharron Tate murder by Manson family? Jackson 5 is formed?

I don't connect the Eagles with 1969. Henley didn't go to California until 1970 and at that time, he and Frey hadn't gotten together. So unless they just needed a word that rhymed with "wine" there must have been some cloaked reference to the year.

What I'm saying is that 1969 was one of the most crucial YEARS in the history of Rock Music. I do not recall any statements clarifying that reference. Have any of you guys?

Prettymaid
07-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Not the 1969 part, but remember Don degraded a journalist for misinterpretting the "spirit" reference. Got him good. :hilarious: It's around here somewhere, I forget which thread - probably Don in the media.

Prettymaid
07-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Here's the quote from the interview:

Q: On "Hotel California," you sing: "So I called up the captain / 'Please bring me my wine' / He said, 'We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.' " I realize I'm probably not the first to bring this to your attention, but wine isn't a spirit. Wine is fermented; spirits are distilled. Wine also has a lower ABV (alcohol by volume) percentage than spirits. Do you regret that lyric?
A: Thanks for the tutorial and, no, you're not the first to bring this to my attention -- and you're not the first to completely misinterpret the lyric and miss the metaphor. Believe me, I've consumed enough alcoholic beverages in my time to know how they are made and what the proper nomenclature is. But that line in the song has little or nothing to do with alcoholic beverages. It's a sociopolitical statement. My only regret would be having to explain it in detail to you, which would defeat the purpose of using literary devices in songwriting and lower the discussion to some silly and irrelevant argument about chemical processes.

EagleLady
07-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Just like in the Tootsie Pop ad, the world will never know ;)

Troubadour
07-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Here's the quote from the interview:

Q: On "Hotel California," you sing: "So I called up the captain / 'Please bring me my wine' / He said, 'We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.' " I realize I'm probably not the first to bring this to your attention, but wine isn't a spirit. Wine is fermented; spirits are distilled. Wine also has a lower ABV (alcohol by volume) percentage than spirits. Do you regret that lyric?
A: Thanks for the tutorial and, no, you're not the first to bring this to my attention -- and you're not the first to completely misinterpret the lyric and miss the metaphor. Believe me, I've consumed enough alcoholic beverages in my time to know how they are made and what the proper nomenclature is. But that line in the song has little or nothing to do with alcoholic beverages. It's a sociopolitical statement. My only regret would be having to explain it in detail to you, which would defeat the purpose of using literary devices in songwriting and lower the discussion to some silly and irrelevant argument about chemical processes.

LOL. Do you regret that question?

Dontcha just love him? :drummer:

MikeA
07-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Ahhh, I should have known....1969...that was the year I turned 21 <LOL>

What a time to become "legal". I wouldn't have missed it for the world, nor would I EVER want to go through it again! I was deeply into music as were most of my generation back then and ever since the Beatles back in '63, History was being made on the Music Scene I actually realized it! I was far enough away from it that I didn't get annihilated by the drug scene yet close enough to see what was happening. It is a real trip to go back and read books like "Laurel Canyon", "Long Time Gone", "Electric Gypsy", and "Living With the Dead".

I was no angel, but neither did I pick up a lot of daemons like a lot of my peers did. I guess I was sort of the dreamer looking through a glass window at the excesses the others were indulging in. Probably a good thing that I stopped in Dallas rather than driving on to San Francisco or LA.

anne-o-gg
07-13-2009, 11:40 PM
It's either that or try to tell him it's about the seamy underbelly of L.A.

I can just see the blank stare :headscratch: he would give me if I said this...totally LOL!!! And his intellegent reply would be..."Huh?"

The preacher who filled the pulpit at a contemporary non-denominational church I went to for a while heard me warming up before a Praise Service. I was softly finger-picking the arpegios to Hotel California

This is SO much like my husband! He usually kicks into something "heathen" while rehearsing for worship...then the drummer goes right with him...lol...

I always liked playing Deserado on the piano - it's such a pretty tune...I love the chords...so mellow!

Sorry - back to subject at hand...

Peekaboo
07-22-2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions everybody. I gathered up plenty of quotes from several interviews about it. After reading it all, my friend gave in and said that she was just misinformed from her dad. I also took her the Very Best Of booklet and after reading it she says that she likes the Eagles even more and thanked me for bringing her all of that information. She said she only knows a few Eagles songs (HC, D, and LITFL) but now she wants to hear more of them.

MikeA
07-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Oh No Jess! You've corrupted another innocent! Good On Ya!!!!!!!!!!

Peekaboo
07-22-2009, 09:15 AM
I'd call that a complete success!!!

TimothyBFan
07-22-2009, 12:24 PM
:evil: (wringing hands) We shall have them all some day!!! :wink:

Prettymaid
07-22-2009, 01:19 PM
:evil: (wringing hands) We shall have them all some day!!! :wink:

You forgot the laugh...MUAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

GlennLover
07-22-2009, 06:50 PM
:hilarious: :rofl:

sodascouts
07-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Jess, well done in adding to the ranks of the converted. The crusade continues!

Ive always been a dreamer
07-23-2009, 12:59 AM
Totally excellent job, Jess. Now, don't forget to follow-up to make sure she gets hooked in completely. :twisted:

sodascouts
11-14-2012, 07:16 PM
I've never really understood why some people thought the lyrics to this were Satanic. Yes, they're highly metaphorical and mention a "beast" but what else is there to feed that accusation?

WalshFan88
11-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Me neither for that matter. The song always seemed like an excess/debauchery/inner demons/addictions song to me.

Just like those who think it's about an asylum/mental hospital. I suppose the last line kind of makes you think that "You Can Check Out Any Time You Like But You Can Never Leave", but I've always thought that line to be more about addictions and inner demons that people can't get rid of be it drugs, alcohol, whatever. Same with the "steely knives but can't kill the beast" line. NO matter how hard you try, you can't escape it or get rid of it.

I agree with Henley's explanation completely. I think some read too much into it be it Satanism, looney bins, etc. That said, it's a song I think that is easily taken the wrong way and easy to read too much into it and think of all of these weird things it could be about.

TimothyBFan
11-15-2012, 10:45 AM
HELLO!!!!! WE NEED A BOOK, BOYS!!!! Tell us what all of these songs mean, what you were thinking while writing them, what gave you the idea for the songs, etc.....PLEEEEEEEEEZZZZ!!!!! :pray:

WalshFan88
11-15-2012, 10:48 AM
HELLO!!!!! WE NEED A BOOK, BOYS!!!! Tell us what all of these songs mean, what you were thinking while writing them, what gave you the idea for the songs, etc.....PLEEEEEEEEEZZZZ!!!!! :pray:

I agree. I know Glenn may be writing a book but it'd be nice if they did what Motley Crue did, all individual books for the band members, but then one big book about everything that happened as a band but include some song information. :lol: Like "The Dirt", or "Walk This Way". Both books which I love.

sodascouts
11-15-2012, 01:04 PM
That would be very cool!

Tiffanny Twisted
11-15-2012, 11:07 PM
I like austins idea about the book but I was wondering with all the drugs and stuff in the begininig do you think maybe some of it is a blurr to them???
Just asking what anybody thinks

This is my favorite eagles song. dont know why it just takes me to places. I think its true people read too much into it sometimes. I mean who would want a bubble gum song when you can have some depth like this':"Pink champoagne on ice ,,,we are all just prisinors here of our own device"

I just love the music and DH"S voice when he sings this song although Melboure is becoming my fave version cause I think Dons voice has deepened over time.
Any way jmo

moniquebliss
11-21-2012, 09:50 PM
No doubt,This song is really famous and whenever I am I can hear this music playing. I still don't know the meaning of this song but some says that this song is about demons. Anyone here can give the real meaning of this song?

EaglesKiwi
11-23-2012, 05:51 AM
I sometimes wonder if songwriters wait to hear each listener's interpretation & then just pick the ones that sound coolest... :hilarious:

Topkat
11-23-2012, 05:35 PM
I thought the song was open to interpretation, but Don did say once that the Steely knives were a reference to the band Steely Dan, as I think they once referred to the Eagles in one of their songs, but I don't remember which one, does anyone know??

Freypower
11-23-2012, 05:49 PM
I thought the song was open to interpretation, but Don did say once that the Steely knives were a reference to the band Steely Dan, as I think they once referred to the Eagles in one of their songs, but I don't remember which one, does anyone know??

Steely Dan referred to the Eagles in a song called Everything You Did. The line is 'turn up the Eagles, the neighbours are listening'.

Topkat
11-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Thanks FP. I like that line!!!:thumbsup:

Grey Sadler
12-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Along with Stairway to Heaven and American Pie...this is one of the songs that I have been "schooled in" by a guy/bf explaining the "meaning" :lol:

Anyone want to talk about the construction of the guitar intro? Someone please refresh my memory of who Felder was calling home to get to play it on the cassette recorder over the phone (his wife or the cleaning lady??)

Freypower
12-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Along with Stairway to Heaven and American Pie...this is one of the songs that I have been "schooled in" by a guy/bf explaining the "meaning" :lol:

Anyone want to talk about the construction of the guitar intro? Someone please refresh my memory of who Felder was calling home to get to play it on the cassette recorder over the phone (his wife or the cleaning lady??)

It was the 'housekeeper' which is a more inflated title than 'cleaning lady'.

Grey Sadler
12-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Ack..."housekeeper" does sound a little more dignified...
Coming from someone who started out as an "instructional assistant" (coughTeacher'sAidecough)...

Prettymaid
06-14-2013, 12:01 AM
I'm just reviving this thread because I was wondering a couple things about the guitar solo, and I thought, who better to ask than Austin.

On the original recording, when Joe starts his part, you can hear the 'zip' sound at the end of the lick as his fingers run up the strings. My question is, is that acceptable? I feel silly even asking; this is one of the greatest guitar players playing on one of the greatest songs. But I just wondered if that is something that as a player you work to eliminate, or is it perfectly okay, and just considered part of the style of playing.

The other thing I notice is that when they play the part at the very end - the part Don F credits Joe for in the doc - the Da da da Da da da Da da da Da da da...on the original recording when they play that the second time it sounds to me pretty much the same as the first. But in almost every other incarnation of the song I've seen/heard, the second one has a very definite slide to it, if slide is the correct term. Do you know what I mean, and is it in the original and I'm just not hearing it, or is it something they've incorporated into it afterward?

Turf
06-16-2013, 12:22 AM
I'm just reviving this thread because I was wondering a couple things about the guitar solo, and I thought, who better to ask than Austin.

Hopefully Cathy and Austin won't mind me throwing in my $.02.

Let me start by saying that these are very observant questions for a non-guitar player (which I assume you are). I'm impressed with your attention to detail. :applause:

On the original recording, when Joe starts his part, you can hear the 'zip' sound at the end of the lick as his fingers run up the strings. My question is, is that acceptable? I feel silly even asking; this is one of the greatest guitar players playing on one of the greatest songs. But I just wondered if that is something that as a player you work to eliminate, or is it perfectly okay, and just considered part of the style of playing.

The phenomenon you're describing is known as "string noise," which I would define as a guitar player unintentionally (usually) making noise when his/her left hand transitions between positions on the neck. This problem happens most often when a player is changing chords, especially chords that are being played on different parts of the neck.

Generally, string noise is something which troubles many beginner guitar players and is considered, by most, to be a bad thing. However, I would describe the golden rule of rock-n-roll as: "If it sounds cool, it is cool." Therefore, some players may choose to tastefully incorporate string noise in order to add an element of not-playing-by-the-rules rawness. One of the most prominent examples of intentional string noise that I know of is the beginning of Aerosmith's Chip Away the Stone. Listen at the 0:07 mark, right before the repeat of the initial chord progression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVeR0bN5j7A

Now, having said that, what Joe is doing in those instances that you've identified actually is not string noise. I say this because there is no other reason for his left hand to go up the neck in the way that he does, i.e. it is not a natural transition between otherwise existing parts of what he's playing. To say it another way, he is specifically sliding up the neck with the intention of making that "zip" sound.

It certainly is an interesting technique and I have to say I'm not really aware of anybody else doing exactly the same thing anywhere else.

The other thing I notice is that when they play the part at the very end - the part Don F credits Joe for in the doc - the Da da da Da da da Da da da Da da da...on the original recording when they play that the second time it sounds to me pretty much the same as the first. But in almost every other incarnation of the song I've seen/heard, the second one has a very definite slide to it, if slide is the correct term. Do you know what I mean, and is it in the original and I'm just not hearing it, or is it something they've incorporated into it afterward?

Somewhat relatedly, I posted about the writing of the solo (and that part in particular) over here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227753&postcount=153)...

Yes, you are exactly right. The subtle variation the second time through is not there in the original recording and it is there in just about every other version. The proper guitar-playing term to describe what Don and Joe are doing is "bending," i.e. they're bending some of notes. You can very clearly see Don himself doing it in this video:

http://youtu.be/JLcL4MkpJQ4?t=5m2s (1st time)
http://youtu.be/JLcL4MkpJQ4?t=5m27s (2nd time)

I once read an interview, I forget where and when, in which Keith Richards talked about how it was important (to him) to record songs before the band had played them live so many times that playing became second nature. He liked to make sure the recording had a bit of an on-the-edge feeling that came from not being overly familiar with the song. This thought makes a lot of sense and it emphasizes the point that many bands probably record songs in a way which allows for some post-recording evolution.

I suspect Don and/or Joe came up with the bending you're referring to while playing live, probably not long after the recording.

I also think these types of variations are pretty common. Another noteworthy example of the same phenomenon is the presence of subtle differences in the way Jimmy Page played Stairway to Heaven live. Specifically, on the recording, the first note is a single note whereas live, he plays two notes at the same time. Additionally, he adds a little slide variation to one of the chords (the fifth one).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOemwDVBlqE

WalshFan88
06-16-2013, 01:02 AM

Thanks!

It's called a pick slide, where you slide your pick against the string. Joe did it on purpose - it sounds cool.

Yes, it was added on afterward. Probably to spice it up.

The whole thing about the solo was to have it move WITH the chords in the song and change with the chords and play over the chord changes. That is why it's so complex and has so much going on.

That's why it's so amazing. And as a guitar player who's played it in a tribute band - it's very fun to play.

The tone on the record is fabulous. THAT is why I bought a '55 Tweed Deluxe (Fender amp) - just for that guitar sound. They both used a Narrow Panel 5E3 Deluxe. Joe with a Telecaster, Don with a Les Paul. My '55 Dlx nails the sound and it is great. With a big stage amp I use a special overdrive pedal I had made to get that exact sound into a clean Super or Twin Reverb amp.

chaim
06-16-2013, 09:36 AM
That slide up the neck ain't a pick slide - he just slides his finger up the neck. He does this twice. To me that says a lot about Joe's personality - introducing some humour to an otherwise serious recording. I love it. I wouldn't find those slides funny if they were slower. But done as they are they bring some comic relief without disturbing the integrity of the song.

EDIT (added later) :

I just realized that there are, of course, two kinds of slides in there. There are pick slides as well as regular "fingers slides". If I remember correctly (can't listen to the song right now) both Don and Joe do one pick slide each. The pick slides go down the neck, while I was talking about those two quick finger slides up the neck at the end of Joe's first two phrases.

sad-cafe
06-16-2013, 01:35 PM
I think that sound is Joe's "Signature" he does it quite a bit.

Prettymaid
06-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Thank you Turf, WF and chaim, and thanks Turf for the compliment. I certainly wouldn't normally consider myself an 'attention to detail' person when it comes to listening to music, but HC is a song I have heard over and over again, on the radio, live, and in live recordings. It took me awhile (30+ years), but I started noticing these things fairly recently.

You have all answered my questions. I would agree now that Joe is intentionally sliding his fingers up the neck to create the zip sound, which I think is so cool!
I'll have to listen to a recording of the song to hear the pick slides going down the neck. If I can't figure it out I'll be back! Lol!

I think I first noticed the bending at the end of the song at a live performance, and I remember wondering if it was something new they had started doing. (Not hardly - I've only seen them live recently, in 2008, 2009 and 2010, and now I know they've been doing it since right after the song was recorded.) Again, I like the change from the original recording and think it adds so much to the song.

Turf, I found the Keith Richards reference very interesting. I love stuff like that. Artists sometimes have a reputation for being creative in a very loose way,not following rules or guidelines, but the more I hear and read I find that their craft follows 'rules of thumb' just like any other occupation, and that they work very hard to get the sound they want. It doesn't just happen.

WalshFan88
06-16-2013, 03:48 PM
That slide up the neck ain't a pick slide - he just slides his finger up the neck. He does this twice. To me that says a lot about Joe's personality - introducing some humour to an otherwise serious recording. I love it. I wouldn't find those slides funny if they were slower. But done as they are they bring some comic relief without disturbing the integrity of the song.

EDIT (added later) :

I just realized that there are, of course, two kinds of slides in there. There are pick slides as well as regular "fingers slides". If I remember correctly (can't listen to the song right now) both Don and Joe do one pick slide each. The pick slides go down the neck, while I was talking about those two quick finger slides up the neck at the end of Joe's first two phrases.

Yes, the one down the neck is what I was referring to and thought was being discussed. It's a pick slide, you can see him do it and then he hits the chord. A pick against a wound string makes a more pronounced sound.

chaim
06-17-2013, 02:37 AM
I'll have to listen to a recording of the song to hear the pick slides going down the neck. If I can't figure it out I'll be back! Lol!

I still don't have a chance to listen to it on YouTube, but those pick slides come right after Joe and Don start trading licks. I'm not sure if there were two of them, but at least in some live version I remember one of them doing it first and the other guy just after him. It's the "SCREEEEEECHHH" sound in there that is produced with the pick sliding down. I'm sure you'll notice it.

Prettymaid
06-17-2013, 07:40 AM
This is from the Christchurch show. I can see and hear Joe doing the pick slide. Thanks, you guys. I learned something new!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=epPutd98h0o

Troubadour
06-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Oh wow... I haven't watched Christchurch in a long time! Love it. :inlove:

sodascouts
06-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Love that video.

Prettymaid
06-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Did you guys see Joe do the intentional string noise at 4:20 and 4:27, and do a pick slide at 4:42? ;-) Awesome!

Brooke
07-12-2018, 12:20 PM
Very old thread here about the meaning of the song and I just saw this on Fb and thought it might be ok to link here.

Glad to know after all these years!

http://rockpasta.com/the-true-meaning-of-hotel-california-most-get-this-wrong/?a=de&var=hotel%20california-ILCR&utm_campaign=hotel%20california&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_term=repost-ilcr-de&utm_content=the%20eagles

Pippinwhite
07-16-2018, 12:36 PM
Here's an interesting take on HC from Maris of Postmodern Jukebox. (They do jazz versions of a lot of rock/pop songs. Very talented folks.)

This is the entire podcast, but FF to about 12:30 to hear the intro and song. It's pretty good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAz6CfVOups

Dawn
07-16-2018, 12:48 PM
Here's an interesting take on HC from Maris of Postmodern Jukebox. (They do jazz versions of a lot of rock/pop songs. Very talented folks.)

This is the entire podcast, but FF to about 12:30 to hear the intro and song. It's pretty good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAz6CfVOups

Wow, I really like this! Thanks for the heads up Pippin, definitely encourage others to check it out. I love her vocal arrangement and the pianist is awesome too!

WalshFan88
07-18-2018, 07:59 PM
Cool Brooke and Pippinwhite.

HC is and will always be my favorite song, not just Eagles song.

There have been some pretty "out there" ideas about what the song is about but I think there is some mystique there that is best left unknown. It's like not knowing who "You're So Vain" (Carly Simon) or "My Favorite Mistake" (Sheryl Crow) is about. Sure, there are theories and rumors, but none of it we know for sure. It adds a unique perspective to those songs. Even Glenn had said IIRC "there's a part of it that is just yours that they will never know about".

Pippinwhite
10-08-2018, 08:59 PM
And another HC-related video. I posted another of his on the Joe Walsh thread. UK guitarist named Fil Henley (!) breaks down the HC solos with Felder and Joe, and analyzes them. He's really good. I ran across his videos a couple of weeks ago and I really enjoy them. Since I don't play a lick of guitar, it's fascinating to me to hear a pro discuss these solos from a pro point of view. But anyone can enjoy these. He's really engaging and being cute as a bug doesn't hurt! ;)

Check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Y1_ee1hus&t=1s

sodascouts
10-09-2018, 11:08 PM
And another HC-related video. I posted another of his on the Joe Walsh thread. UK guitarist named Fil Henley (!) breaks down the HC solos with Felder and Joe, and analyzes them. He's really good. I ran across his videos a couple of weeks ago and I really enjoy them. Since I don't play a lick of guitar, it's fascinating to me to hear a pro discuss these solos from a pro point of view. But anyone can enjoy these. He's really engaging and being cute as a bug doesn't hurt! ;)

Check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Y1_ee1hus&t=1s

That was great! I've seen this guy do Fleetwood Mac's "I'm So Afraid" as well. Love him!

EaglesFan86
12-29-2018, 06:34 PM
I have just one a vinyl record bought from Half Price Books earlier this year!