PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Pages : [1] 2

sodascouts
09-24-2009, 02:06 AM
30 years ago today, The Long Run was released. The Eagles have said they struggled hard to create a follow-up to Hotel California, and the tension and stress they endured making this album was a large part of why the band ended. Before they went down, they sure put out some good songs, though!

My personal favorite: Heartache Tonight. It rocks and gets folks movin' in concert to this day.

TimothyBFan
09-24-2009, 06:41 AM
When I brought up the Border this morning, I said to myself it must be the anniversary of LR. :hilarious:

This is still my favorite album before LROOE came about. So many great songs here and I know a few would disagree but the songs that some people think are hokey and not up to par, I still love! I will let someone else do the actual analyzing of each song (I'm just not nearly as good at that as some here) and then I will agree or disagree. It still makes me wonder what the next album could of been like if they hadn't broken up so shortly after it's release.

Molly
09-24-2009, 08:16 AM
Saved up babysitting money to buy this album. "Heartache Tonight" always has been and always will be my favorite Eagles song.

Koala
09-24-2009, 08:37 AM
One of my favourite albums of the Eagles, there is so many good songs on this album,on the album are some of my absolute favourite songs from the Eagles!
This are The Sad Cafe, In The City, I Can't Tell You Why, The Long Run and of course Heartache Tonight! :inlove:

lynnzop
09-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Heartache Tonite, hands down. :)

We can beat around the bushes;
We can get down to the bone
We can leave it in the parkin lot,
But either way, theres gonna be a
Heartache tonight, a heartache tonight I know.

I did a double take this morning when I opened the forum, but I'm getting used to it! Good way to celebrate! :laugh:

Ive always been a dreamer
09-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Well, I see it is time for The Long Run celebration week. My first thought about the album is along the same lines as what Willie said - I always wonder what would have been next if the band had continued. I think that one of the most amazing things about this band is how different their first album, Eagles, is from The Long Run. There is a stark contrast between the music on these albums, yet the band managed to maintain their mass appeal no matter what type of music they played. I guess it's no wonder they are now legends. I'll post some more about the album throughout the week.

I love the board style, and Koala love your Long Run banner too.

HAPPY 30th ANNIVERSARY THE LONG RUN!!!

Prettymaid
09-24-2009, 01:22 PM
As some of you may know, In The City is right up there (along with Walk Away) as my all time favorite Joe songs. But why is it so hard for me to think of ITC as an Eagles song? KWIM? :shrug:

Love The Long Run. It's another one of those that as soon as you hear the opening you're like, YEAH!!! :headbang:

But the same is true for Heartache Tonight! :partytime:

sodascouts
09-24-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm listening to the CD now. You know, I get so used to iPod shuffling everything that I forget how nice it is just to listen to the album in total, in its original running order. I try to imagine what it must have been like to put this on the turntable and listen to it old school, right when it first came out - never hearing any of these songs before, getting introduced to Timothy for the first time. I bet it was pretty dang cool.

My second favorite after Heartache Tonight is Those Shoes. That song is HOT.

Freypower
09-24-2009, 07:06 PM
This time of year will always be special to me as people who have been following my buildup to when I saw the album for the first time will appreciate.

I don't know about analysis in this case - I love this album. I might make a couple of comments about it in order of preference rather than track order.

Heartache Tonight - this, of course, is the one which pushed me in the direction of Mr Frey before I saw what he looked like. The song is a showstopper, or at least it was on the last tour I saw. I absolutely love it (and I love the Grammy winning vocal). Like many of the songs on the album it refers to the edgy desperation that leads people to 'take chances' and 'hope it comes out right' although perhaps it won't. It's a bit like a more jaded version of Take It Easy.

King Of Hollywood - Magnificent portrait of a lowlife 'agent' or 'producer' or 'manager' which dissects him perhaps a bit too thoroughly but because of the hypnotic guitars and Don's low voice coupled with Glenn's falsetto, it is riveting from start to finish.

The Sad Cafe - this felt like a farewell, and it was. Standard as it was by now for Don to sing most of the songs I always wondered what it would have been like if Glenn had sung it. I think it overreaches slightly in the 'glory train' section. It sounds like he wants to revisit The Last Resort.

Those Shoes - another compulsive rocker with fantastic talk box guitar from Joe and Felder. A precursor to the type of woman skewered in BBF, perhaps?

I Can't Tell You Why - this is beautiful and melancholy, and remains Tim's finest performance with the band (let us hope there may be more).

In The City - I wish, as with GOTC, Joe could have recorded something fresh, but this will do.

The Disco Strangler - hugely underrated. I think Rolling Stone said 'this is the most extreme music these musicians have ever recorded' or something like that. It was good to see them trying something so far away from their melodic harmony filled base. I know people will disagree. There are in fact no backing vocals on this track at all. In this case I think it's justified. Night in the city - watch your back.

The Long Run - this has not aged well, in my opinion, although the sentiments are admirable.

The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks - I still think this is funny. Perhaps it is a throwaway and too dependent on the Animal House craze, but it does its job. People again weren't used to the Eagles being like this.

Teenage Jail - Much as I hate to place anything sung by Glenn last in the list I have no choice in this case. It is thrown together. It's heavy handed but not in a good way. I don't know why Glenn didn't sing the whole song. He could have done the 'you're lost in a teenage jail' part just as well as Don, but that is only my prejudice.

09-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Well The Long Run was the featured CD in my car's CD player yesterday as well. I really like this album a lot even though, musically, it was a big departure from the Eagles' previous work. I do think the album is somewhat uneven in terms of having some of the band's strongest material, as well as, some of it's weakest. I'll do my ratings of the songs a little later, but for the time being, suffice it to say that I like 'em all.

sodascouts
09-25-2009, 12:17 PM
I'll do my ranking of the songs later. Even the ones I didn't initially like have grown on me to a degree... except one. Which one? Well, it's not too difficult to guess, is it? It's the one many people tactfully describe as "not their best work." It's DISCO STRANGLER, which I forced myself to listen to in order to do my review but still makes my ears bleed (sorry Willie)!

ETA: I know some people like it, and I recognize their opinion is certainly as valid as mine or anyone else's.

Freypower
09-25-2009, 07:13 PM
This is my first post using our new computer and Windows Vista.:shock:

The thing about Disco Strangler is it is so BASIC. It's just a refreshing change from the band's usual style.

Brooke
09-25-2009, 08:42 PM
I try to imagine what it must have been like to put this on the turntable and listen to it old school, right when it first came out - never hearing any of these songs before, getting introduced to Timothy for the first time. I bet it was pretty dang cool.

I remember the first time we played that album. My husband and I looked at each other and both of us thought "WTH?"! TLR and HT were both normal Eagles songs, but the rest was ............! It took awhile, but we learned to like it! And it was great to hear Timothy! That was our thinking at the time.

sodascouts
09-25-2009, 10:35 PM
OK, here's my rundown, from best to worst.

WARNING: I don't hold back on those last three. Sensitive folks are advised to skip that segment!

THE BRILLIANT

Heartache Tonight - Here we have the highlight of The Long Run which is right up there with the Eagles' best work. This song showed they could still pull it out. What's not to like about it? Glenn's vocal is off the chain - no wonder he won a freaking Grammy for it! The way he growls "Heartache Tonight" and belts out that chorus, the way he sings that "We can beat around the bushes" segment, even his whoops at the end.... they all exude vitality and energy; it's the way he sings the entire song. It's downright exciting to listen to it. It makes you wanna crank the volume up and rock out, singing along at the top of your lungs. The catchy guitar riffs, the way the guitar starts up, then backs off and sneaks back in as you move towards the chorus at which point it comes back full blast, the part where the music drops out and the vocals go acapella with just the beat, the use of the handclaps... everything about this song works. To this day it's a showstopper that brings the house down. To put it simply: Heartache Tonight ROCKS MY WORLD!!

THE EXCELLENT

Those Shoes - Oh, so hot, from the the throbbing bass line to the moaning guitar. How can a talk box guitar be sexy? Yet, it is. It's like a groan-box here, lol (at least it is until the end). Don's vocal is absolutely smoldering. It's like he's telling the woman "How can you expect me to pay attention to what you're saying when you're making me want you?" That's the hottest part of all - how hungry he sounds, especially on the line "once you've started wearing those shoes." As for "Oh no, you can't do that" - it's so catchy it stays in your brain long after that song's stopped playing. The whole song is a turn-on, as long as I don't let myself think about some of its sexism (but hey, it was the 70s).

The Long Run- As was said earlier, from the beginning you know something good is coming (although supposedly that was copycatted from another song but ANYWAY). I do think it has aged well since it still plays great live, and I know I enjoy it. Don's vocal on it is terrific - sassy and fun - plus the guys' answering vocals really work. Many of the lyrics are clever. "All the debutantes in Houston, baby, couldn't hold a candle to you." "We're scared, but we ain't shakin; Kind of bent, but we ain't breakin'." Those are just a couple examples. The structure also keeps it interesting - the way the song changes to minor chords leading up to the major chords for the tag line "in the long run." It builds anticipation for it. Great beat and drum work throughout which also helps build excitement in the song. That nuance towards the end, when the song pauses for a beat, and goes into those four notes leading up to the instrumentation and ad-libbing at the end.... terrific. There's also something sexy about Don's voice on the ad libs in the end, especially "ooooh, run, run, run baby... run, run baby..." Great song.

The Sad Cafe - A lovely song and a fitting "final song" for the Eagles (at the time, obviously). The lyrics are very evocative - the images of the rain, the clouds and the shore, the use of lines from an old hymn to create the feeling of a once-strong hope that now seems far away and long ago, the use of references like the tracks on Santa Monica Boulevard to give that song the extra emotional power that comes from personal experience. Musically, it's also beautifully sad. This is another song where arrangement and structure create a mood that reflects and emphasizes the theme of a dispirited resignation to harsh reality mingled with a real grief for the things, the desires, the hopes, the people that got lost along the way. Don's world-weary vocal is magnificent. As far as I know, this is the only Eagles song with a sax solo (played by renowned saxophonist David Sanborn), and it works wonderfully, sounding both wistful and sorrowful.

I Can't Tell You Why - This was Tim's musical debut as an Eagle, and he did it up right! His vocal on this is both gentle and mournful, exactly what the song calls for as it exhibits the same kind of conflict between the existence of both love and frustration in the relationship. Glenn's answering lyrics on the second verse add a nuanced sophistication that gives the song an extra push from very good to excellent; their harmony is perfect. This song shows that the Eagles were very right to hire this new guy with the long hair. ;) Overall, the instrumentation is very subtle, relying on the vocals to engage the listener. When the vocals stop and it goes into the guitar solo, that also works well by switching back and forth from highs and lows in the way the relationship does. This song brings everything together so that you really feel the angst and conflict of the song; you get immersed in the mood. It's extremely effective. Well done, guys!

In the City - Here comes Joe! His instinct for catchy riffs works here, as it has so many times. The beat and melody pound through just like the pounding relentlessness of the brutal city. While it may not be easy for Joe to hit those high notes anymore, I'm glad he wrote it that way. The working up to the high notes make you feel the building frustration he's feeling, the building desire to GET OUT; the vocal builds as the tension builds and then that last high note just get belted out as the pressure valve blows. The "in the city, in the city" at the end could get repetitive if it weren't for those guitar licks keepin' it interesting. Works for me!

NOT BAD

King of Hollywood - I didn't like it at first. The subject matter is distasteful and Don and Glenn's vocals are creepy. Yeah, I get it. The vocals are supposed to be creepy to reflect how icky the "King of Hollywood" is. That's all well and good... I just don't find it enjoyable to listen to. As for that last line blaming everything on the size of his privates... that's just juvenile. However, the more I listen to it and once I get past the creepy vocals, I can get into it musically. The "He's calling... calling... calling" works, and it's very clever to have each of the band's guitarists take a solo. Those solos are well-done and make the song much more interesting melodically. Since I like those solos so much and appreciate the instrumentation on the rest of the song as well, my final verdict is: not bad.

BAD

The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks - "You got down and did the Gator, and half an hour later, You were barfin' all over your girlfriend's shoes" - Seriously, guys? Seriously?! Oh my gosh, the entirety of the song's lyrics are lame, but this inglorious beginning is the worst of the lot. Like with Teenage Jail, the Eagles are forcing us to enter the realm of the juvenile delinquent. This time, however, we get to hear about him getting drunk, vomiting, and banging sorority girls in the bushes at a frat party amidst hollers of "GATOR!" I do so much eye-rolling during this song that it's a wonder my contact lenses don't get stuck to my brain. At least it's more fun melodically than the two other members of the Eagles Hall of Shame, Teenage Jail and Disco Strangler (see below).

AWFUL

Teenage Jail - The second-worst song in the Eagles catalog. Why, oh why must they force me to partake in the misery of sulky, self-pitying high schoolers with this boring drudgery of a melody? Almost as tedious are the insipid lyrics. 'You're not like your mothers... you're not like the others..." Mmmkay. It doesn't help that the way they're sung reminds me of kids going "Nah-nahnny-boo-boo." I do like it when Don actually ventures from the plodding "melody" to echo it in a relatively interesting way, but sadly, that soon ends. Good news: when the cool guitar solo kicks in at the end, it perks up the song and raises it from "excruciating" to "almost tolerable."

HARD-CORE SUCKAGE

Disco Strangler - Oh, where to begin when attempting to express just how hard this song sucks? Let's start with the vocal. Don sounds constipated, squeezing out his vocal until it's little more than a strained whine. Here we get to see the "Golden Throat" turn into the "Constricted Windpipe." I guess the "Rome is burning" lyric is clever but the rest of the song's lyrics are inane. Apparently some serial killer is stalking the members of ABBA. Sadly, all of this crap isn't even the worst thing about the song! What I hate the most about this song is its lack of any kind of discernible melody, instrumentally or vocally. Its excuse for "melody" is annoying, repetitive, boring riffs and a stilted vocal which obstinately refuses to coordinate itself with the beat (except for perhaps the title line "slip into the arms of the Disco Strangler" part). Admittedly the "beat" does often sound as if the drummer is having a series of small seizures. You know a song is bad when you find yourself thinking, "Gee, maybe they should have included Felder's song 'Heavy Metal' after all." Easily the worst song the Eagles ever recorded, it's also worse than anything its co-writers put out solo. I'm not just talking about Glenn Frey and Don Henley. Even the songs on Felder's Airborne are better.... and that's just sad.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Overall, The Long Run is uneven - soaring highs, plummeting lows. However, the highlights of the album justify its existence and make it worth the agony that the Eagles suffered to put it out. I'm glad it wasn't the last album they ever did, though. Long Road Out of Eden is stronger overall.

Brooke
09-26-2009, 09:16 AM
:applause: That was absolutely great, Soda! I couldn't agree more! Actually those last two were hilarious! You go girl!

Koala
09-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Soda, as always, great album review, love the detailed comments on each song! :thumbsup:

09-26-2009, 10:00 PM
I agree with Soda that The Long Run is uneven, and it is one of my least favorite Eagles albums. But, having said that, I still think that, overall, it is a strong album and I enjoy listening to it. When I finish my list, I’m thinking that it won’t be that different from Soda’s with regard to the order that I like the songs; however, I don't rate the weaker songs nearly as harshly as Soda. The words “awful” or “hard-core suckage” don’t compute in my brain with regard to Eagles music. I will grant you that a few of these tracks are “not their best work”, but none of them make my ears bleed and I find them all likeable. For me, I reserve the label “hard-core suckage” for songs that are almost universally hated on. I don’t think that’s the case with these songs, and, hopefully, some of you who rate this among your favorite albums will give us your thoughts.

Freypower
09-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Well, I am nowhere near as eloquent as Soda is.

To me the stripped back production is a refreshing change from the lush strings of the HC album. I like the fact that some of these songs go to the opposite extreme. I think Soda's comment about Disco Strangler 'some serial killer is stalking the members of Abba' is particularly unfair. To me 'disco' is just a metaphor for all the urban alienation going on in the song and in other songs on the album, even ICTYW.

sodascouts
09-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Point taken about the lyrics, FP. I was going for the laugh there. ;) I still think they are ineffective, however. If they were going for symbolism, it was very clumsily done.

dianemaddox
09-27-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm sorry, but disco still sucks after all these years. "Look at me, look at me, I'm beautiful, I'm somebody..." will forever be an obnoxious attitude and one carrying the same shouldn't be surprised it they're strangled. Just an observational opinion and one that should not be taken seriously. Guess I always listened with a grain of salt?

09-27-2009, 10:13 PM
I'll continue using the scale below to rate the songs for all of the remaining albums as we celebrate their anniversaries. Since I do think The Long Run is one of the band’s more uneven albums, I have a lot more '3's' than I usually do. :wink: But, as I said before, with the Eagles, even their worst album if above average, IMHO. So by no means do I think this one is bad – I like all of the songs and enjoy listening to it from start to finish.

I Love It

Heartache Tonight (5) – There’s not much I can add about this awesome, grammy-winning rocker. I can never pick a single favorite Eagles song, but this one is clearly in the top 5 on my list on any day.

The Long Run (5) – This Memphis blues song’s music is so catchy, and I love the lyrics too. I pretty much agree with everything Soda said about it. I’m afraid I don’t understand Freypower’s comment about this song not aging well. All I can say, is I still very much enjoy it and so do my young nieces. The song still gets substantial radio play here in the States, so I'm not sure what is dated about it.

I Can’t Tell You Why (5) – Again, nothing much to say that hasn’t already been mentioned about this simply beautiful ballad. Welcome to the band, Timothy!

The Sad Cafe (5) – Once again, Soda already said it. I will say, that even though Don does a beautiful job lyrically with this song, I always thought that it was well-suited for Glenn’s voice. I daresay that we’ll probably never know though. Glenn could have used another lead vocal on the album, and I just think this would have been a good one.

I Really Like It

Those Shoes (4) – Yes, Soda talk boxes apparently can be very sexy. ‘Nuff said.

King of Hollywood (4) – Now this is where Soda’s and my opinions begin to differ regarding this album. I think this is a great song. Both the lyrics and music are exceptional. Even though the subject is a bonafide slime ball, I still enjoy listening to the story – kind of a precursor to Richard Marx’ song, Don’t Mean Nothing. While Soda’s interpretation of the last two lines of the song are valid, I always thought of them more as a metaphor for integrity, decency, or honor i.e. once you see this guy for what he really is, you know he is just a dishonorable, distrustful power junkie a.k.a. a low-life.

I Like It

In the City (3) – I like this song and it absolutely rocks live, but it not one of my favorites. The music and Joe’s vocals are great, but the lyrics and melody are average, and the chorus is a bit too repetitive for me.

The Greeks Don’t Want No Freaks (3) – I think this song is so funny – it cracks me up every time I hear it, especially when Glenn (I think) yells “gator”. Okay, yes, maybe it is a bit sophomoric, but it is also pretty clever, and a big departure from anything the band had done before. The music is a bit repetitive, but it still rocks.

Teenage Jail (3) – Okay, while I agree that this is not the band’s best work, neither do I think it is horrible. I guess their experiment to reach out to a younger audience didn’t work that well. :) I like Glenn’s vocals, and the lyrics and guitars are very effective in creating a “teenage jail”. I’m not crazy about Don’s echo in the second verse, but it’s effective in achieving a mood of teenage turmoil. I enjoy listening to the song when I play the album, but it won’t make it on any “best of” compilation.

The Disco Strangler (3) – Okay, I’m somewhere in between Soda and Freypower in my feelings about this song. While I don’t think it is hard-core suckage, I also don’t think it is hugely underrated. The song is no better than average in any area – musically, lyrically, vocally, or melodically. If it is not the worst song the band ever recorded, it sure is close. Having said that, I still enjoy listening to it enough to earn a 3 rating on the scale.

key:
5 - I love it
4 - I really like it
3 - I like it
2 - meh
1 - yikes

TimothyBFan
09-28-2009, 07:16 AM
So Soda--tell us how you really feel! :hilarious: LOVE your reviews--they crack me up-(even when you're wrong :wink:).

Seriously tho---I honestly LOVE LOVE LOVE this album--like I said before, this was my favorite Eagles album until LROOE. In my humble little opinion, there is not a bad song on it. For me it boils down to love and like a lot on this album--no other category needed.

LOVE---
I Can't Tell You Why
Heartache Tonight
The Long Run
Those Shoes
King Of Hollywood
The Sade Cafe
In The City

LIKE ALOT----
Disco Strangler
Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
Teenage Jail

It's just that simple to me! I love reading all the analysis from others and maybe I just don't concentrate enough or "get it" or something. But when I listen to any music, I just don't find myself trying to figure out who's singing what part or when a certain instrument does something or what they were thinking when they wrote a certain line, or even who wrote a song, I just don't really care I guess. I am much to simple apparently for that:hmm:. I just want to enjoy the music and not have to think. When I listen to this album (or any other for that matter) I listen to the music and lyrics and either I like it and play it more or I don't and just don't play it. When this album goes on the turntable (and it does a lot!), cd player or Ipod, it gets played all the way thru without skipping any song.

Does that make sense to anyone else?

ETA--Yesterday my husband went and got his coffee in the morning while I was getting ready. When he came back home, he asked me if I knew which album had been released 30 years ago this week. Well DUH!!! When I told him--he said he figured he wouldn't stump me on that one.

GlennLover
09-28-2009, 11:11 AM
I found that listening to the "Innerview" radio show, that Glenn & Don did with Jim Ladd to promote The Long Run in 1979, gave great insight into the meanings of many of the songs. In particular, it helped me to understand where they were coming from in writing Disco Strangler and Teenage Jail, although it didn't make me like them any better! I don't care for Teenage Jail and it grieves me to say this about an Eagles song, but I do hate Disco Strangler :-(. However I absolutely LOVE Heartache Tonight and I Can't Tell You Why!!!!!! They are in my all time top favourite songs :thumbsup:!!!!!!

sodascouts
09-28-2009, 12:01 PM
This quote from Glenn also gave me insight:

On Disco Strangler (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/eagles/longrun/discostrangler.htm)
"I hate this song! I hate this album! God help me! I'm bumming!" (Rolling Stone 1979)

LOL!!

(I didn't make that up - it's for real!)

Brooke
09-28-2009, 01:26 PM
It's just that simple to me! I love reading all the analysis from others and maybe I just don't concentrate enough or "get it" or something. But when I listen to any music, I just don't find myself trying to figure out who's singing what part or when a certain instrument does something or what they were thinking when they wrote a certain line, or even who wrote a song, I just don't really care I guess. I am much to simple apparently for that:hmm:. I just want to enjoy the music and not have to think. When I listen to this album (or any other for that matter) I listen to the music and lyrics and either I like it and play it more or I don't and just don't play it. When this album goes on the turntable (and it does a lot!), cd player or Ipod, it gets played all the way thru without skipping any song.

Makes perfect sense to me, TBF. I am much the same way. :thumbsup:

ETA--Yesterday my husband went and got his coffee in the morning while I was getting ready. When he came back home, he asked me if I knew which album had been released 30 years ago this week. Well DUH!!! When I told him--he said he figured he wouldn't stump me on that one.

So, don't you have a coffeemaker? We make our own at our house. Nothing like fresh perked coffee in the morning! I know, I know. It's a big city thing! :lol:

TimothyBFan
09-28-2009, 02:17 PM
So, don't you have a coffeemaker? We make our own at our house. Nothing like fresh perked coffee in the morning! I know, I know. It's a big city thing! :lol:

No actually it's called-your son took the coffeemaker to college with him and we keep forgetting to pick a new one up. I don't drink coffee (diet coke in my morning) and once Larry went to the local convenience station for coffee, he decided he liked it so hence, still no coffeemaker. :hilarious:

Freypower
09-28-2009, 11:42 PM
This quote from Glenn also gave me insight:

On Disco Strangler (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/eagles/longrun/discostrangler.htm)
"I hate this song! I hate this album! God help me! I'm bumming!" (Rolling Stone 1979)

LOL!!

(I didn't make that up - it's for real!)

With the greatest respect, Soda, you don't know how serious he was when he said that. It sounds like a throwaway comment to me.

Regarding my comment about the title track, to me the attempt at optimism in the lyrics is so far out of kilter with the songs that follow it, that to me it isn't really setting the tone as a good title track should. It seems 'on its own' as if they desperately felt they needed to make some attempt at writing something where the lyrics were not totally donwbeat.

I know that many people love watching this song live, but I'm afraid, as with After The Thrill Is Gone, it is not a favourite of mine.

I much prefer the majority of cynical, downbeat lyrics on the TLR album to some of the (IMO) Hollywood hippie stuff on my least favourite Eagles album, OOTN. I can understand however why most people prefer the more 'mainstream' stuff.

Scarlet Sun
09-29-2009, 12:01 AM
I still say Teenage Jail is intentionally and successfully hilarious

TimothyBFan
09-29-2009, 06:11 AM

:thumbsup: Agreed!!

sodascouts
09-29-2009, 11:20 AM
I can see the guys snickering to themselves as they wrote about melodramatic teens. I think I even read Don say it showed they had a "dark sense of humor."

I'm not sure if the average listener who heard it on the radio would get that they're not supposed to take it seriously, though... unless they thought, "Surely a song this terrible has to be a joke."

Scarlet Sun
09-29-2009, 05:28 PM
I can see the guys snickering to themselves as they wrote about melodramatic teens. I think I even read Don say it showed they had a "dark sense of humor."

I'm not sure if the average listener who heard it on the radio would get that they're not supposed to take it seriously, though... unless they thought, "Surely a song this terrible has to be a joke."
I can't speak for the average listener, but whenever I hear Don's vocal part, i laugh out loud

I have a feeling the song started out seriously, but as time and the making of the album dragged on, they just said "f#$% it" and turned it into a joke . . .

09-29-2009, 06:51 PM

This makes perfect sense to me too, TBF. I certainly don't think there is any right or wrong way to enjoy music. As the old saying goes 'it's different strokes for different folks". I'm a little of both - sometimes I like to just enjoy the song without thinking about it at all, and then there are other times when I think hard about it ... just depends on the mood I'm in.

I would tend to agree with Soda about this. While I agree there may be some intended tongue-in-cheek humor, I don't think it is necessarily obvious to the casual listener. "Greeks" is overtly funny, but I think you would have to listen to Teenage Jail in context to the other songs on the album to detect any facetious, subtle comic twist to the song, and even then, it would be left up to the listener's interpretation. JMHO

09-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Well, as our week long celebration of The Long Run winds down, I am surprised that there has been no mention of the "image makeover" for the band. Not only was the music on this album a huge departure for the band, but their 'look' also changed drastically ...

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/eaglesHCJapan.jpg

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/eaglesVB03.jpg

I've told this before, but I remember when I first bought the album, I was stunned at the change in their appearance. It took me a while to figure out who was who, and it was actually when I first realized that Randy had left the band, and had been replaced with Tim. I guess I had been slackin' on my Eagles updates back then. But hey - there wasn't any internet with The Border or anything ... how was I supposed to know! :wink:

Freypower
09-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Um - Dreamer, please check my avatar. This entire week for me has been all about the image change, especially in a very specific case.

I may as well say here that 30 years ago when I first saw the cover, I was staggered at how they had all changed (with the exception of Felder, and even his hair was somewhat shorter). I couldn't remember ever having seen Joe with a moustache (had I forgotten the HC video)?

When you say 'it took me a while to figure out who was who' I knew four out of five straight away. I knew Tim had joined (I knew what he looked like from the Rose of Cimarron video). It was the guy in the centre that I could not pick at first. I had to go by a process of elimination. I suppose that is one way of describing it.:censored: :inlove::inlove:

sodascouts
09-30-2009, 09:03 PM
I know, it's really amazing. Glenn's makeover was especially dramatic and he looks incredible - much better than the long-haired look (IMHO - I know some will disagree!) Maybe they were thinking that it was about to be the 80s and they needed to update their look. Smart guys - by 1981 'fros and super-long hair were SO seventies. ;)

EagleLady
09-30-2009, 09:04 PM
I love the long hair look, but Change is good ;)

TimothyBFan
10-01-2009, 07:08 AM
I remember that the only thing that really shocked me when I saw the album was that Glenn had cut his hair! I was devastated--well until I noticed the new guy. :wink:

Prettymaid
10-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Don't get me wrong - I love a long-haired rocker as much as the next girl, but you gotta admit, Glenn's transformation was the biggest and the best!

GlennLover
10-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Don't get me wrong - I love a long-haired rocker as much as the next girl, but you gotta admit, Glenn's transformation was the biggest and the best!

I do agree! :thumbsup:

09-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Well - I am reviving this thread to say ...

HAPPY 31st BIRTHDAY "THE LONG RUN"!!!

There is already quite a celebration going on with the impending start of the Survivor game this evening. However, I just went back and reread this thread and found the discussion quite entertaining. :thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
09-24-2010, 01:07 PM
In reading through this thread, I noticed several interesting things.

Post #6, Dreamer brought up a very good point about how vastly different the first album, Eagles, is to The Long Run. Yet, the fans were there all the way thru. I always liked the early albums, but liked their music more and more as each new album came along. The Long Run, to this day, is still my favorite with LROOE very often, neck in neck.

Post #7, I agree with PM. For me it is also very hard for me to think of In The City as an Eagles song and not just a Joe Walsh song. :headscratch:

Post #9, FP writes, "This time of year will always be special to me as people who have been following my buildup to when I saw the album for the first time will appreciate." You and I both!!! And I remember reading this a year ago and thinking to myself at least I'm not the only one~~~ "
The Disco Strangler - hugely underrated."

Post #11, Soda writes, " It's DISCO STRANGLER, which I forced myself to listen to in order to do my review but still makes my ears bleed (sorry Willie)!" :hilarious:

Post #14, If you don't read anything else in this thread, read Soda's ranking of the songs on this album and KNOW that as much as I love her, her and I do not see eye to eye much on this album. :hilarious:

Post #22, my response to Soda, "So Soda--tell us how you really feel! :hilarious::wink:) LOVE your reviews--they crack me up-(even when you're wrong ."

In this post from me, I also go on to explain how I don't pay attention to who's singing what part in a song and such. I had to chuckle over that because while listening and writing my notes for the upcoming Survivor, on a couple of songs I actually posted that I love how distinguishable each voice is and how you can actually point out which part is sung by which Eagle. See, I've learned something from all of you this last year!!

TimothyBFan
09-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Was doing the YouTube thing for Long Run and could only find a couple off hand. Posted to my Facebook in celebration also.

Can I just say swooooooooonnnnn at about the 3:03 mark!?!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rnZG-CNk84&feature=channel

Troubadour
09-24-2010, 07:13 PM
1:44 works for me too...

whitcap
09-24-2010, 07:46 PM
I didn't realize how great this album was until I was listening to it to prepare for survivor.

Nobody'sBeach
09-25-2010, 02:35 PM
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=69&pictureid=851

Glennhoney
09-25-2010, 03:51 PM
...wow, seeing that album cover brings back some great memories...my friends actually gave me that album as a gift...I'd had my tonsils removed...and they brought me that album when they came to visit...

Nobody'sBeach
09-25-2010, 06:51 PM
I know what you mean. The medicinal applications are probably endless...

Glennhoney
09-26-2010, 11:33 AM
...hahaha....and I cherish it still....that picture of GLENN was enough to make me feel instantly better...............

Glennsallnighter
09-26-2010, 06:01 PM
...hahaha....and I cherish it still....that picture of GLENN was enough to make me feel instantly better...............

I'll bet it WAS!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

09-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Well, as I was reading this thread, it got me to wondering exactly what the guys think about this album now. I was thinking back about remarks that Don and Glenn have made about The Long Run and decided to post a couple here.

Glenn in a 1986 interview with Jeff Yarbrough:

Don and I did not have any fun working on The Long Run together. Hemingway said that he'd write in the morning and always quit before he got stuck. The next day, he would feel like writing again because he had positive thoughts about the previous day's work. We were at a stage where there were no positive thought's about the previous day's work. Henley and I would sit across from each other for hours not saying a word. We would sit trying to write, but we were both afraid to suggest a lyric or chord in case it wasn't perfect - in case it wasn't great.

Don in a 1987 interview with Mikal Gilmore:

The romance had gone out of it for Glenn and me. I mean, The Long Run was not as good as Hotel California, and it was an excruciatingly painful album to make. We were having fights all the time about the songs - enormous fights about one word - for days on end. The record took three years and cost $800,000, and we burned out. I think we knew early on fame was a fleeting thing. ... We were exhausted, and we were sick and tired of each other. We needed a vacation, and we didn't get one. So we just flamed out.

Well it took a 14-year vacation for them to recover, but thank goodness they did. I hope that they can look back on the album now and appreciate it because they ended up making a great album in spite of all the turmoil.

sodascouts
09-28-2010, 12:15 AM
Little wonder they broke up after such a painful delivery.

Here's some quotes from Glenn and Don about some of the songs:

DISCO STRANGLER
GLENN: "I hate this song! I hate this album! God help me! I'm bumming!" (Rolling Stone 1979)

(The rest of these are from the liner notes of The Very Best of the Eagles)

HEARTACHE TONIGHT
GLENN: ...and then they sold 12 million records, and everything changed! As Bob Dylan said, "They deceived me into thinking I had something to protect." And that's what happened with us. We made it, and it ate us. The Long Run became, indeed, the long run. It was a difficult record to make overall, but I loved "Heartache Tonight." Whenever Bob Seger was in L.A., he always used to come over and visit me, and he'd visit Don, too, and play us stuff he was working on -- and we would do the same. I seem to remember that I had the verse thing going on for "Heartache Tonight," and I was showing it to Seger, and we were jammin' -- I think we were jammin' on electric guitars at LaFontaine -- and then he blurted out the chorus. That's how "Heartache" started. Then Bob disappeared, and J.D., Don, and I finished that song up. No heavy lyrics -- the song is more of a romp -- and that's what it was intended to be.

THE SAD CAFÉ
GLENN: The title comes from the book by Carson McCullers. I love the title, which didn't have anything to do with the song, other than it was a great title. The line that really resonates for me in that song is "I don't know why fortune smiles on some and lets the rest go free." There were so many of us aspiring musicians hanging around at the Troubadour. Some nights when Doug Dillard got drunk enough, and Gene Clark got drunk enough, and Harry Dean Stanton got drunk enough... near closing time... they would all start singing. There would be these unbelievable impromptu versions of "Amazing Grace" -- all sorts of Ozark spiritual things with the whole bar singing... That stuff never really happened. We were getting older (when we wrote the song), and there was a sadness because we had seen, close-up, that everybody's dreams don't come true. Or, at least, not in the way they think they're gonna come true.
DON: A train used to run down the center of Santa Monica Boulevard, right outside the Troubadour. Steve Martin actually had a routine where he'd get the entire audience to exit the club, hop a flatcar on that slow-moving train and ride up to La Cienega, a few blocks east. Then, everybody would hop off and walk back down to the club together. I don't think that happened very many times -- maybe not even more than once or twice, because the railroad people didn't like it. It was kind of dangerous and there was liability involved. Still -- and I don't want to over-mythologize -- it was something to remember. That was a wonderful time in Los Angeles. The city was alive with magic and a sense of possibility. People were warmer and more open than they are now.
Then, of course, there was the dark side. Friends and acquaintances of ours (from that era) had begun to meet untimely ends -- classic cases of "too much, too soon." It was either that or "too little, too late." So we were struggling to make sense of that dichotomy, that contradiction. Is fortune a good thing or a bad thing, you know? Is being fortunate, before you're ready to accept it and deal with it, actually fortunate -- or is it unfortunate? We were struggling with our own success -- riddled with feelings of guilt and unworthiness. I think a lot of young artists feel that way. We always identified with that great song "Fakin' It," by Paul Simon. It takes many years and lots of experience for a man to get comfortable in his own skin. But the Troubadour, Dan Tana's restaurant, the train -- all those things served as a great metaphor for the search, the journey that so many of us were on.

I CAN'T TELL YOU WHY
DON: Timothy came in with the title and other bits and pieces. Glenn and I just wanted to surround it with everything we could. Glenn came up with that wonderful counterpart, very much a soul-record type thing, "Try to keep your head, little girl." Glenn also composed and played that great guitar solo.
GLENN: Timothy joined the band and the real challenge, as Don and I saw it, was to get a piece of material for him that wasn't country. So we got him over to LaFontaine, and the three of us got down to work. I said, "You could sing like Smokey Robinson. Let's not do a Richie Furay, Poco-sounding song. Let's do an R&B song." He said, "Sure, love to try!" Some of those crazy moments happen when you just go over to the piano and jam. There I was, brave as a Budweiser, going right to the piano and saying, "Well, how 'bout something like this?" That's another one of my absolute favorite Eagles songs. It's got the mood. It's got the "Ooh baby, baby" vocal. But, again, counterpoint -- with Don and I singing against he melody and the understated, brilliant guitar stylings of yours truly [laughs]. It's another song that people love in our live show. Since it is a ballad, we are not playing too loud and can hear the audience. Timothy starts, and there are thousands of people singing, "Look at us, baby..."

THE LONG RUN
GLENN: We'd had the idea for about six or seven years. The title of the song was apropos, and it seemed to be a good title for the album -- let's see who'll last. I think it was a lot about longevity, and it was also about me just lovin' Tyrone Davis' record "Turning Point." We had done some slicker production like the Philly sound, but "Long Run" was more like a tribute to Memphis with the slide guitars playing the parts of the horns.
DON: It was a long and difficult album. Everything was catching up to us. Too much pressure, too much worry, too much traveling, too many controlled substances, too much paranoia and infighting. I missed having a normal life. Glenn and I were starting to grow distant. Everything was pulling apart -- and we were writing about longevity. [thoughtful pause] Yeah, well, even if we weren't living it, we were always able to idealize it in a song about the way we'd like to be -- the way we'd like to be perceived. That song may have been a message to our critics. It may have been a message from Glenn to me or me to Glenn. It could be taken all kinds of different ways. Could be a message to a girl -- a long-departed lover. But, again, it was built on that foundation of Glenn's rhythm guitar playing [sings part]. Always that foundation. So, here we are some 25 years later -- 32 years total -- still going strong. The Long Run, indeed.

IN THE CITY
GLENN: Of all the songs we were considering for the album, I always loved this one of Joe's. An earlier solo version had been in the movie The Warriors, but it wasn't that widely known. I always liked the song and thought it could have been an Eagles record, and so we decided to make it one.

THOSE SHOES
DON: One of my favorites. At that time, all the girls were wearing Charles Jourdan shows -- the ones with the little ankle straps. They'd become very popular and we were big fans [laughs]. And so, we said, "Well, it's not enough just to write about that; we have to turn it into a metaphor for women standing on their own two feet, so to speak, and taking responsibility for their own lives, their own losses." That was our intent. The lyric "Once you've started wearing those shoes" meant "Once you've started being your own woman and taking responsibility for your own life; once you've decided not to be just decoration -- an appendage to some guy -- then this is all the crap you're going to have to put up with in conjunction with that." Anyone who decided to become the master of his or her own destiny always has to put up with a lot of crap. On the surface the song was about the singles scene: the beautiful, young women seemingly unaware of the sharks waiting in the shallows... sharks that sometimes included us. It was also a great, great beat. It gave Felder a chance to strap on the talkbox, a device which Joe Walsh pioneered on "Rocky Mountain Way" -- and the two of them soloed together...
GLENN: As far as I know, it's the only double-talkbox solo in existence. That's Felder and Walsh on talkbox at the end singing "Butt out...butt out...."

TimothyBFan
09-28-2010, 07:44 AM
Thanks for posting those Soda. Always liked the way Glenn seemed to show so much love for ICTYW and ITC. Looks like you and Glenn are in agreement as far as DS goes! :hilarious:

Troubadour
09-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Loved reading those again! Always interesting to hear what an artist thinks about a song or album in retrospect.

09-29-2010, 01:12 PM
I love this quote of Don's about the song The Long Run ...

That song may have been a message to our critics. It may have been a message from Glenn to me or me to Glenn. It could be taken all kinds of different ways. Could be a message to a girl -- a long-departed lover. But, again, it was built on that foundation of Glenn's rhythm guitar playing [sings part]. Always that foundation. So, here we are some 25 years later -- 32 years total -- still going strong. The Long Run, indeed.

I love when I read that because I had always believed they may have been talking to each other in the song. It's always really cool when a songwriter confirms your interpretation of lyrics. :thumbsup:

And YES, Don ... The Long Run, indeed!!! :bow:

sodascouts
09-24-2011, 01:25 AM
Once again, it's the anniversary of the release of The Long Run! Let's celebrate!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Check out the video for the title track here:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfstm1_eagles-the-long-run_music

WalshFan88
09-24-2011, 08:24 AM
I go back and forth with this being my 2nd or 3rd favorite Eagles album (with On the Border as the alternative) depending on the day. :hilarious: I'll say it's my 2nd favorite today.

I think The Long Run is highly underrated. I LOVE The Long Run, Heartache Tonight, In The City, I Can't Tell You Why, Those Shoes, and The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks.

I love The Long Run!

VAisForEagleLovers
09-24-2011, 10:39 AM
It was interesting, going back and reading the entire thread. I've always loved the Long Run. From the day it came out. It was the very first LP I'd ever bought with my own money. I was out of high school and working as a filing clerk (talk about motivation for higher education...) and every day (literally) I'd get home from work to hear my younger brother and sister playing it over and over. They wanted me to buy a second one so we wouldn't have to keep flipping it on the turntable.

At the time, I listened to a Rock station as opposed to Pop. So the DJs' take on Disco Strangler was that the Eagles wanted to strangle disco itself and they were all for it.

I remember a lot of discussion from DJs about using the saxophone so much, not a Rock thing to do, others had done it or tried it, but they felt the Eagles had managed to actually make it work, as with everything else they'd ever done. The critics had been pretty harsh, or so the DJs said at the time, and while they agreed it wasn't HC, they said that if it had been HC, they'd have been criticized for that.

For most of us at the time, we were so desperate for a new LP we'd have loved anything they put out. For me, the Eagles appearance was always Glenn's fantastic hair and attitude. It was a shock to see his hair cut, but the times were changing and it was very much in style and my knees went weak just looking at the picture. I'm not sure I ever noticed the other guys in the picture!

09-24-2011, 11:56 AM
HAPPY 32nd ANNIVERSARY THE LONG RUN!!!

Okay, we've tried this with some solo albums, so Soda and I thought we’d try it again since today we celebrate the anniversary of the release of the band's 'The Long Run' album.

Since this is the first time we've tried this for an Eagles album, I’ll review how this works. This isn’t exactly a game, but more like a poll I guess with no other purpose than to be an exercise of fun. I’m going to list all the songs on the album and ask folks to rank them in the order that they like the songs from favorite to least favorite. I’ll give folks a week to post their list in this thread, and then I’ll calculate the results so you can see how close your list is to the combined results.

I’ll calculate the lists like this. There are 10 songs on the album, so I’ll assign a point value of 10 points to the song that each person lists in 1st place, 9 points for the 2nd place song, and so on until the last place song gets 1 point as follows:

Song 1 – 10 points
Song 2 – 9 points
Song 3 – 8 points
Song 4 – 7 points
Song 5 – 6 points
Song 6 – 5 points
Song 7 – 4 points
Song 8 – 3 points
Song 9 – 2 points
Song 10 – 1 point

For example, Person A puts the song ‘ABC’ in 3rd place so it gets 8 points; Person B puts ‘ABC’ in 5th place so it gets 6 points; and Person C puts ‘ABC’ in 6th place so it gets 5 points. So all total, the song ‘ABC’ gets 19 points. Then, Person A puts the song ‘XYZ’ in 1st place so it gets 10 points; Person B puts ‘XYZ’ in 4th place so it gets 7 points; and Person C puts ‘XYZ’ in 2nd place so it gets 9 points. So all total, the song ‘XYZ’ gets 26 points.

After I calculate the combined scores from everyone’s list, I’ll post the list in the order of which songs had the highest points to the lowest. You will be able to see how close your list comes to the “master” list. It'll also be interesting to see how the results here compare with the results in the Survivor games we've played here. If others post a list after a week, I’ll update it with their scores. So here we go – the songs for 'The Long Run’ album are as follows:

The Long Run
I Can't Tell You Why
In the City
The Disco Strangler
King of Hollywood
Heartache Tonight
Those Shoes
Teenage Jail
The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
The Sad Cafe

Now, list these songs in the order of your most favorite to least favorite.

WalshFan88
09-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Heartache Tonight
In The City
The Long Run
I Can't Tell You Why
Those Shoes
King Of Hollywood
The Disco Strangler
The Sad Cafe
Teenage Jail

09-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Well - First of all, even though I've said this many times already, I want to reiterate that I think this is a very underrated album. I have gained an even bigger appreciation for it in the last several years. While I still agree that a couple of the tunes are 'not the band's best work', I think that it is a really strong album overall. I made my list and then I went back in this thread to check what I had posted earlier to see if I had changed my mind any. And :nope: it is exactly the same. So here it is ...

1. Heartache Tonight
2. The Long Run
3. I Can’t Tell You Why
4. The Sad Cafe
5. Those Shoes
6. King of Hollywood
7. In the City
8. The Greeks Don’t Want No Freaks
9. Teenage Jail
10. The Disco Strangler

whitcap
09-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Here's my list:

1) King of Hollywood
2) The Sad Café
3) Heartache Tonight
4) Those Shoes
5) Teenage Jail
6) The Greeks Don’t Want No Freaks
7) I Can’t Tell You Why
8 ) In the City
9) The Long Run
10) The Disco Strangler

Prettymaid
09-24-2011, 02:54 PM
1. In the City
2. I Can't Tell You Why
3. The Long Run
4. Heartache Tonight
5. Those Shoes
6. The Sad Cafe
7. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
8. The Disco Strangler
9. Teenage Jail
10. King of Hollywood

UK TimFan
09-24-2011, 03:16 PM
In reality I have two 'equal favourite' songs on this album, but I have to make a choice so Tim wins. :)
And the last four songs are almost interchangeable because I skip all of them. :grin:

1) I Can’t Tell You Why
2) King of Hollywood
3) Those Shoes
4) The Long Run
5) In the City
6) Heartache Tonight
7) The Greeks Don’t Want No Freaks
8 ) The Sad Café
9) Teenage Jail
10) The Disco Strangler

Topkat
09-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Happy 32nd Anniversary to The Long Run:

Overall this is not one of my favorite Eagle albums. It has it's great moments, but to me it's kind of inconsistent. I was anxious to see what Timothy would bring to this band, as I was a huge Poco fan and had mixed feelings about him joining the Eagles. I was not disappointed with Tim's debut here.
Here's my list in order:

1> I Can't Tell You Why
2> Heartache Tonight
3> In The City
4> The Long Run
5> The Sad Cafe
6> Those Shoes
7> The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
8> King of Hollywood
9> Teenage Jail
10>Disco Strangler

Freypower
09-24-2011, 07:02 PM
I remember a lot of discussion from DJs about using the saxophone so much, not a Rock thing to do, others had done it or tried it, but they felt the Eagles had managed to actually make it work, as with everything else they'd ever done. The critics had been pretty harsh, or so the DJs said at the time, and while they agreed it wasn't HC, they said that if it had been HC, they'd have been criticized for that.

For most of us at the time, we were so desperate for a new LP we'd have loved anything they put out. For me, the Eagles appearance was always Glenn's fantastic hair and attitude. It was a shock to see his hair cut, but the times were changing and it was very much in style and my knees went weak just looking at the picture. I'm not sure I ever noticed the other guys in the picture!

Given that sax is used on precisely one song on this album (The Sad Cafe) I am very surprised that that was such a talking point. It showed what Glenn would be doing in his solo work.

As for your second paragraph that was me, on October 2 1979, the start of my obsession with Glenn. Put it this way; it was a shock to me too.

As for rating the songs:

1. Heartache Tonight
2. King Of Hollywood
3. The Sad Cafe
4. Those Shoes
5. I Can't Tell You Why
6. The Disco Strangler
7. In The City
8. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
9. The Long Run
10. Teenage Jail

VAisForEagleLovers
09-24-2011, 07:16 PM
FP, it was a song by song discussion. As I remember it, they played every song one right after the other. I didn't get to hear them all because the trip to the office only took but so long. I heard the part about the sax and my boyfriend told me about the Disco Strangler comment. Oh, and the very first time I ever heard New Kid In Town is when the hook was set for me.

My list:
1. Heartache Tonight
2. I Can't Tell You Why
3. In The City
4. Sad Cafe
5. Long Run
6. Those Shoes
7. The Greeks
8. King of Hollywood
9. Disco Strangler (since I still think disco should die, maybe this should be higher)
10. Teenage Jail

Freypower
09-24-2011, 07:22 PM
FP, it was a song by song discussion. As I remember it, they played every song one right after the other. I didn't get to hear them all because the trip to the office only took but so long. I heard the part about the sax and my boyfriend told me about the Disco Strangler comment. Oh, and the very first time I ever heard New Kid In Town is when the hook was set for me.

My list:
1. Heartache Tonight
2. I Can't Tell You Why
3. In The City
4. Sad Cafe
5. Long Run
6. Those Shoes
7. The Greeks
8. King of Hollywood
9. Disco Strangler (since I still think disco should die, maybe this should be higher)
10. Teenage Jail

When NKIT came out I fell in love with Glenn's voice. However his appearance at that time didn't work for me. He had to cut his hair before I 'got it'.

sodascouts
09-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Here's my list:

1. Heartache Tonight
2. Those Shoes
3. The Long Run
4. I Can’t Tell You Why
5. The Sad Café
6. In the City
7. King of Hollywood
9. Teenage Jail
10. Disco Strangler

Sometimes the middle ones vary but the top three and the bottom four always remain the same for me.

sodascouts
09-24-2011, 10:46 PM
When NKIT came out I fell in love with Glenn's voice. However his appearance at that time didn't work for me.

That was when you had a crush on Felder, right? Ah, the irony! lol

But I agree with the opinion that Glenn cutting his hair and losing that moustache amped up his hotness quite a bit.

Windeagle
09-25-2011, 07:45 AM
The Long Run was never one of my favorites. I'm more partial to the Desperado through OOTN era. I think my reaction when I first played the album was "Ooookay...". Once Eagles Live came out, I rarely played TLR again.

Here's my list:

1. Heartache Tonight
2. The Sad Cafe
3. Those Shoes
4. The Long Run
5. In The City
6. I Can't Tell You Why
7. King of Hollywood
8. Disco Strangler
9. Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
10. Teenage Jail

As a side note, ever since I got the Millenium box set, whenever I think of Teenage Jail, all I hear is the goof on it that they did on Random Victims Part 3. Frankly, I like the goof version better.

Koala
09-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Here's my list:

Heartache Tonight
The Long Run
The Sad Café
I can’t Tell You Why
In the City
Those Shoes
King of Hollywood
Teenage Jail
Disco Strangler

Henley Honey
09-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Considering the fact that the they were burnt out, exhausted and experiencing a creative dry spell, I'm not surprised this album was not a fan favorite. It has several great songs that give me joy on a continual basis so I'm thankful that they pushed through and got it done.
Here's my list:

1. Heartache Tonight
2. Those Shoes
3. In The City
4. The Sad Cafe
5. I Can't Tell You Why
6. The Long Run
7. Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
8. King of Hollywood
9. Teenage Jail
10. Disco Strangler

Actually, I don't think I've ever been able to listen to Disco Stranger the whole way through. It hurts my ears! :hilarious:

Windeagle
09-25-2011, 11:48 AM
I will say that although Disco Strangler is not my favorite song to listen to, I do find it intriguing in the context of the musical styles that were out there in 1979. Maybe it's just me but I hear shades of punk (a la early Blondie) in amongst the disco-fied syncopation. It makes me feel like they're kicking disco in its face with a taste of what would come after.

EaglesKiwi
09-26-2011, 04:29 AM
I only bought this album a few weeks ago. The first 6 songs on my list I had heard on the greatest hits collection/DVDs, but the other 4 were new. I really like King of Hollywood, and I think Greeks is hilarious. Teenage Jail brings mixed emotions - I have a teenage son & sometimes it's just too close to the bone :hilarious:

Disco Strangler. Hmm. The first time I heard it I definitely thought WTF?? I tried several times to listen again but found myself hitting the skip button - but listened to it a couple of times today playing the album right through. It may grow on me - if I give it a chance.

My list:

The Sad Café
I Can’t Tell You Why
Heartache Tonight
Those Shoes
The Long Run
In the City
King of Hollywood
Teenage Jail
Disco Strangler

TimothyBFan
09-26-2011, 08:52 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this album. It has and always will be my favorite Eagles album. For awhile after LROOE came out, I thought it might be replaced but I came to my senses. Not a bad song on this one! And I won't bore all of you with the story of first opening up that gatefold and seeing the new bass player again. You've all heard it before and for those that haven't, it's somewhere on this board. Sure you can just imagine.

I did find this earlier in this thread tho...
From me in 2009:

I remember that the only thing that really shocked me when I saw the album was that Glenn had cut his hair! I was devastated--well until I noticed the new guy. :wink:

Now what's up with Disco Strangler at the bottom of everyone's list?!?!? :fingerwag:

Here's my list:

1. King Of Hollywood
2. I Can't Tell You Why
3. Those Shoes
4. The Long Run
5. Heartache Tonight
6. The Sad Cafe
7. In The City
8. Disco Strangler
9.The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
10. Teenage Jail

BBKron
09-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Sorry to be the killjoy at this 'celebration' party, but I have to call it as I see it, and I have to say that I have always considered The Long Run the weakest Eagles album, by far, one that was certainly a major disappointment at the time, and, in retrospect, the low-point of their recording career. I had always thought that this album was pretty universally acknowledged as their worst overall, and the only real blight on an otherwise stellar output. Thus, I was quite surprised when I came to this forum a few months ago and found so many avid supporters of this album, and its songs (I was downright shocked by how many list Heartache Tonight as one of their very favorite Eagles songs of all-time, as I had never even considered it to be among their top-25). Anyway, I have now gone back and read through this thread from the beginning, and I find the comments very interesting and enlightening. Now, I have to admit that I had not listened to the full album since the early eighties, when I removed it from my turntable and put it on the shelf for good (that's right, turntable!, as it was a vinyl album - I never bought this on CD), and I 've never really had the desire to listen to it again after that (Certainly the only Eagles album I can say that about).

So, to be fair for this assessment, and to see if maybe there was more here that I had not picked up on those many years ago, I have now gone back and listened to the whole album again, twice actually, all the way through, just to be sure. But, I have to say that it pretty much reinforced my earlier impressions. The one word that most comes to mind when I listen to and think about this album is: LACKLUSTER. Sure, there are some good songs here, perhaps even a couple very good ones, but no great ones, and none that I would consider among the very best (top-ten, or even top-twenty) of the Eagles songs. And the album contains several sub-par offerings and at least 2 of the worst songs they ever recorded. So, anyway, here are my rankings and brief comments about each song.

1. The Long Run - Good, strong start to album. Solid, enjoyable song, with classic Eagles sound
2. Those Shoes - Really cool sound and style (with the funky bass and all), would've fit right in on Hotel California
3. I Can't Tell You Why - Tim B's first Eagles song is lovely and quite good, exactly what I expected from the Poco veteran
4. Heartache Tonight - Good, fun, bar-room song, a notch above 'Greeks', perhaps, but still just a fun, throwaway song
5. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks - Another fun bar-room song (or in this case, frat-house), dumb lyrics, but still alot of fun
6. In The City - A decent Joe Walsh song that seems more like a solo song than an Eagles song, but not really one of his best
7. Sad Cafe - Could have been a decent song, but it never quite gets there, and is completely overshadowed by the fact that it comes across as a 2nd rate imitation of the much-better 'The Last Resort' from HC
8. King of Hollywood - starts out OK, but then just goes nowhere and goes on too long, becoming monotonous, dull, and listless

10. Teenage Jail and Disco Strangler - These last 2 are just plain awful, and practically unlistenable. The 2 worst songs the Eagles ever made. I really can't decide which I hate more. They both should get 0 points

My overall summary would be that there were basically 4 good songs, 2 decent songs, 2 not-so-good songs, and 2 awful songs, which does not add up to a great, or even very good album. I am very thankful that they did make those 4 good songs, and I regularly enjoy hearing them, but I must say that I could do without hearing the rest of the album ever again. Sorry if this seems harsh. Overall, I love the Eagles music, but this album is just not that good IMHO. Hey, it happens to the best of them. Fortunately, they made lots of other great music. Perhaps it was indicative of what they were going through at the time, and it was not all that surprising when they called it quits during the subsequent tour. I think they redeemed themselves admirably in subsequent years (with both solo and group efforts), producing more great Eagles music (both live and on record) for us all to enjoy.

Freypower
09-26-2011, 06:02 PM
4. Heartache Tonight - Good, fun, bar-room song, a notch above 'Greeks', perhaps, but still just a fun, throwaway song

7. Sad Cafe - Could have been a decent song, but it never quite gets there, and is completely overshadowed by the fact that it comes across as a 2nd rate imitation of the much-better 'The Last Resort' from HC
8. King of Hollywood - starts out OK, but then just goes nowhere and goes on too long, becoming monotonous, dull, and listless

Speaking for myself Heartache Tonight jumped out of the speakers at me because it was Glenn, after Don's domination of Hotel California, and because it rocks, and also, believe it or not, because it IS a 'fun' song. They had been taking themselves far too seriously.

I see what you are saying about The Sad Cafe but it's a personal history as opposed to the history of the state, and that makes it easier to relate to. I do think it gets a bit preachy near the end. I am not a fan of the 'glory train' part or the 'fortune smiles on some' part. Most of it I consider very atmospheric. I still think Glenn could have sung it; but he didn't sing the 'heavy, serious songs' and still doesn't for the most part.

I can't agree that KOH ever becomes monotonous or listless with those three great guitar solos. If anything it gains momentum as it progresses.

WalshFan88
09-26-2011, 07:01 PM
I just heard "The Long Run" on the radio tonight. I love that song. It's a great tune. And might I add that I absolutely love the line "all the debutantes in Houston baby, couldn't hold a candle to you". :hilarious:

I think In The City is an underrated song. I love it. It seems to not be so popular with people but it is a killer song and even better live (I love the HFO version and the time I saw it in Chicago).

I also think Heartache Tonight is a great tune. I will be playing it this weekend and I can't wait. It's such a fun tune. I might also be playing In The City too.

So yeah, TLR definitely has a few "stinkers" IMO but also IMO people let that ruin the album for them. The Long Run, Heartache Tonight, I Can't Tell You Why, In The City, and Those Shoes are amazing Eagles songs IMO.

I do respect BBKron's feelings for the album as I feel the same way about the "Desperado" album. To me, it is their weakest album musically. I like the title track and that's about it. And I didn't use to like the title track but it has grown on me because I feel a personal connection to the lyrics. But taste is subjective and we all have our likes and dislikes.

09-26-2011, 08:48 PM
I also never ceased to be amazed at how we Eagles fans are so 'all over the place' in terms of what songs we like and dislike so much. I always rationalize it by saying that it's because most all of their songs are so good. :wink: Now, I know I'm in the minority here, but, honestly, there is not one single Eagles song that I hate. Obviously, I like some more than others, but I don't think any of them are horrible. When I rank the order in which I like the albums, the bottom three are One of These Nights, The Long Run, and then Eagles. They are all pretty close, and I considered all of them slightly uneven because they all contain some of the band's best and worst work, IMO. As I said, I have gained more of an appreciation in recent years for The Long Run than I have for either OOTN or Eagles and may be tempted to move it up above OOTN on my list. To me, although it does contain two of the band's weakest songs, I think the overall quality of the remaining songs may surpass the songs on OOTN or the Eagles LP. In addition to Heartache Tonight, The Long Run, and I Can't Tell You Why, I thnik The Sad Cafe, Those Shoes, and King of Hollywood are all excellent underrated songs. When I compare TLR to OOTN or Eagles LP, I think there is a bigger drop-off in quality on those two albums after you get past the top 3 or 4 songs. All JMHO!!!

TimothyBFan
09-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Well stated Dreamer. I'm also in the minority. I've always said, IMO, there isn't a horrible song on this album and I really like them all. That includes the so called, "bad songs" like DS, Greeks & TJ. Granted, it's not some of the best Eagle writing but they're just really fun songs. Greeks just cracks me up. I can see why some would think DS is a bit creepy because of the subject matter but I don't find it that way and love Don's voice and the tune it self. As for TJ--well, bottom of my list but still listenable. I don't skip any of them.

sodascouts
09-27-2011, 02:01 PM
I've learned to respect everyone's opinions, no matter how much I disagree with them. People have different tastes as to what they like and don't like. Nobody's "right" and nobody's "wrong"; it's all subjective.

I was downright shocked by how many list Heartache Tonight as one of their very favorite Eagles songs of all-time as I had never even considered it to be among their top-25

It's not my personal favorite, but what's so shocking about a Grammy-winning #1 hit being popular with fans? Regardless of whether or not you personally find it to be high quality, the fact that the song has received industry accolades and achieved commercial success should at least prepare you for the possibility that others might consider it their favorite.

Personally, I don't consider it mind-blowing that my opinions aren't universally held, but that's just me. ;)

Also, I want to amend a statement I made earlier in this thread. I said that "Disco Strangler" was the worst song any of the Eagles had ever made, either together or solo. Well, I have all their catalogs on my computer and sometimes I randomize them. Today, Joe Walsh's "Coyote Love" came on... and I realized yes, one of the Eagles had indeed put out a song inferior to "Disco Strangler"!

So, "Disco Strangler", I apologize. You do not suck as badly as "Coyote Love."

EaglesKiwi
09-27-2011, 04:13 PM
I've learned to respect everyone's opinions, no matter how much I disagree with them. People have different tastes as to what they like and don't like. Nobody's "right" and nobody's "wrong"; it's all subjective.

Personally, I don't consider it mind-blowing that my opinions aren't universally held, but that's just me. ;)

Such modesty, Soda :hilarious:

The different opinions are one of the things I really enjoy about being on the board. Reading everybody else's opinions encourages me to listen again and maybe hear stuff I didn't "get" originally... :)

Brooke
09-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Too funny Soda! :hilarious:

I'm usually bringing up the rear in these discussions, so I'm just amazed to be getting my opinion in!

My list:

Heartache Tonight
The Long Run
King of Hollywood
I Can’t Tell You Why
In the City
Those Shoes
Sad Cafe
Teenage Jail
Disco Strangler

I go back and forth with HT and TLR being my favorite from this album. Love them both. And even though KOH has a sleazy subject, I love Don's voice and the guitar solos. And I have to agree with Dreamer and say that I really don't hate any Eagles song, but definitely like some better than others. If there was ever a song to skip it would be DS and TJ. I do find Greeks fun, even if it is silly! Hey, as someone once sang, lighten up, while you still can!

Freypower
09-27-2011, 06:09 PM

It's not my personal favorite, but what's so shocking about a Grammy-winning #1 hit being popular with fans? Regardless of whether or not you personally find it to be high quality, the fact that the song has received industry accolades and achieved commercial success should at least prepare you for the possibility that others might consider it their favorite.

Also, I want to amend a statement I made earlier in this thread. I said that "Disco Strangler" was the worst song any of the Eagles had ever made, either together or solo. Well, I have all their catalogs on my computer and sometimes I randomize them. Today, Joe Walsh's "Coyote Love" came on... and I realized yes, one of the Eagles had indeed put out a song inferior to "Disco Strangler"!

Don't forget Better In The USA, Shangri-La... (in my opinion)...

TDS is 6TH on my list of songs from The Long Run. So again in my opinion it is nowhere near as bad as Soda thinks it is.

Maybe that could be another topic because opinions on worst solo songs will vary wildly as well. I have never heard Coyote Love.

sodascouts
09-27-2011, 08:01 PM
They'd definitely vary widely! I find Better in the USA far superior to Disco Strangler. Shangri-La, while one of Don's worst efforts, also beats out Disco Strangler in my book. Maybe I should start some threads... as long as folks don't get all bent out of shape if someone disses a song they like!

TimothyBFan
09-28-2011, 08:20 AM

Do you mind if I print this out and hang it on my frig to make me smile every time I think about all the times I told you it wasn't THAT bad? :hilarious:

sodascouts
09-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Have you ever heard "Coyote Love"? What I just delivered was about the faintest praise possible. lol

10-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Okay - It's time to post the results of our The Long Run poll. Again, I only counted those who actually posted a full list. As it stands now, the vote is very close between some of the songs. So - without further delay, here's the standings as they are now ...

1. Heartache Tonight - 132 points
2. I Can't Tell You Why - 113 points
3. The Long Run - 104 points
4. Those Shoes - 103 points
5. In the City - 92 points
6. The Sad Cafe - 90 points
7. King of Hollywood - 80 points
8. The Greek Don't Want No Freaks - 55 points
9. Teenage Jail - 29 points
10. The Disco Strangler - 28 points

So congratulations to our top vote-getter so far, Heartache Tonight!!!

Thanks to those who participated. As I said earlier, if anyone else wants to still post their list, it's not too late. Go right ahead - I'll update the standings if this happens. Each person's list can definitely change the results.

sodascouts
09-24-2012, 01:03 AM
The Long Run was released 33 years ago today. The first album with Timothy and their last album until the "resumption" in the 90s, it was definitely a landmark! Give your copies a spin this week and, if you feel inspired, post some thoughts!

Note: if you're new, the reason why the board is black and silver this week is to celebrate The Long Run by using its color scheme as well as some LR-themed graphics that I put together.

WalshFan88
09-24-2012, 02:21 AM
I love "The Long Run". It's a tie between this and On The Border for my 2nd favorite Eagles album.

I think this one is somewhat underrated.

zeldabjr
09-24-2012, 02:27 AM
WOW...can't believe it's thirty three years since my love affair with a certain long haired bass player started:hilarious:...I was only a baby at the time...I remember very well the first time I heard him sing "I Can't Tell You Why"...fell in love with that voice in an instant...and haven't stopped yet!

Happy Anniversary to "The Long Run":heart:

scottside
09-24-2012, 08:51 AM
I think one of the things I liked most about this album is that Glenn actually got to sing more than one song, even if the others were co-leads. To me, it's a very dark album, more riff oriented than what they were used to doing, but I still love it now all these years later.

sodascouts
09-24-2012, 12:07 PM
The Long Run certainly has a lot of dark material (or at the very least, dark humor) but I think Hotel California set us up for that - every song on that album has a bleak element. Even "Try and Love Again" is somewhat forlorn - yeah, he'll TRY again, but there's no indication that he's going to succeed! In the same way, The Long Run tinges any positive messages with some negativity.

The cynical song summary:

The Long Run - "MAYBE we'll make it. Time will tell. Have I mentioned that I think you should work on your self-esteem issues and examine your personal motivations?"

I Can't Tell You Why - "Yeah, I'll stay with you... I can't explain why I would want to, though. We're miserable so much of the time that I contemplate walking away on a regular basis."

In The City - "I can't wait to get out of this urban hell!"

The Disco Strangler - "DIE, Attention Whore! DIE!!"

King of Hollywood - "Hi, I trade industry favors for sex. However, before judging, please understand that I'm not very well endowed."

Heartache Tonight - "Hey! Rock out to this fun party song that predicts the inevitable misery of at least one, if not several, of the people around you desperately trying to score!"

Those Shoes - "Sorry, honey, it's impossible for hot women to be seen as anything but a sex object. Anybody who tells you differently is just telling you what you want to hear in order to get you into bed. Now that we've got that straight - have I told you how much your shoes turn me on, pretty mama?"

Teenage Jail - "You won't have much of a life until you're over 18. Deal with it."

The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks - "Also, once you get into college, what you'll think is a fun social life is actually incredibly lame."

The Sad Cafe - "Don't you miss hanging out with our struggling musician friends back in the day when we actually cared about changing the world and weren't obsessed with money? Of course, we didn't have any money then... I don't miss THAT part! Anyway, it's too bad most of our friends didn't make a fortune like we did and are still dirt poor. Let's raise a glass of Cristal to them."

Yeah, not exactly uplifting. lol

09-24-2012, 12:38 PM
First of all ...

HAPPY 33RD ANNIVERSARY TO THE LONG RUN!!!

Soda, I love your 'cynical song summary' - very funny! Actually, I think the cynicism goes back to the very beginning of the band - take Peaceful Easy Feeling for example ... "I found out a long time ago, what a woman can do to your soul" - not exactly a happy place. To me, the ability to make cynical, dark subject matter so listenable was one of the band's real gifts.

As far as The Long Run - I agree that it is an underrated album, especially when it comes to tracks like Those Shoes, The Sad Cafe, King of Hollywood, and even GDWNF. To me, it is a really good album albeit a bit uneven. With the exception of a couple of tracks, I think the songs are excellent.

Brooke
09-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Soda! That was too funny! :rofl:

You know, I never even thought about all of this. I don't delve in to the songs so deeply and try to figure out what they mean. All of that just usually goes right over my head! I just listen and if I like the melody, it's all good!

sodascouts
09-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Brooke - I probably overthink. Some would argue that it be better if I could just chill and appreciate the song instead of cringing at lyrics like "There's no yes in yesterday" or getting turned off by songs like "Frail Grasp on the Big Picture" because I perceive the lyrics as condescending and self-righteous. The "literary criticism" treatment of lyrics lessens - or in extreme cases, even ruins - my enjoyment of some pieces of music. On the plus side, it makes me appreciate the well-written lyrics even more, and heightens my enjoyment of those songs. The majority of Eagles music falls into the latter category, which is one reason why I like them so much.

Actually, I think the cynicism goes back to the very beginning of the band - take Peaceful Easy Feeling for example ... "I found out a long time ago, what a woman can do to your soul" - not exactly a happy place.

You know, it's funny, I always took that to be a positive line - like a woman can bring a man's soul to the highest heights! I can easily see how it could be read cynically, though.

Topkat
09-24-2012, 04:33 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO THE LONG RUN.....WOW 33 YEARS!!! Ouch!

I really love this album, as it introduces Timothy into the band. As a long time fan of Poco, I knew what he was capable of, and he did not disappoint and "I Can't Tell You Why" became his most well known hit... However...I also find this a dark album....The themes of the songs are gloomy... almost depressing, but the songs themselves if taken individually are brilliant!! It was the beginning of the end, as it has been nicknamed, "The Long One" taking forever to produce. The arguing among the band members was at an all time high, & they were on the verge of a break up. A sad fact that soon became the inevitable. Even the black album cover has an ominous tone. All that aside, I do think it's an underrated album. Maybe to some fans, not one of their best, as it received mixed reviews from the critics, but overall I love this album!

Freypower
09-24-2012, 06:08 PM
I think one of the things I liked most about this album is that Glenn actually got to sing more than one song, even if the others were co-leads. To me, it's a very dark album, more riff oriented than what they were used to doing, but I still love it now all these years later.

I would agree with this if in the case of Teenage Jail he had in fact sung the entire song; why he didn't I will never know & unfortunately because it is the worst track on the album it isn't much of a showcase.

As for King Of Hollywood, I love the song but Glenn's part is not that easy to hear on the studio version.

There are a couple of tracks on this album which most people love & which I now find boring and/or tedious. Normally when we talk about the album most people criticise Teenage Jail & Greeks & in Soda's case The Disco Strangler. For me it's The Long Run & In The City, both of which are in the band's current setlist, both of which I really don't care for at all, but I realise that I am alone in that opinion.

An aside, Soda, I am sorry that you 'cringe' at 'there's no yes in yesterday' because it appears to be affecting your enjoyment of what is a superb performance.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-24-2012, 07:37 PM
HAPPY 33RD

ANNIVERSARY****

THE LONG RUN

:thumbsup:TT

09-25-2012, 12:03 AM
Wow, it's funny, I always took that to be a positive line - like a woman can bring a man's soul to the highest heights! I can easily see how it could be read cynically, though.

That is odd, Soda. I'm exactly the opposite - Of course, I know that PEF isn't on The Long Run, but since we were talking about the band's cynicism, that is one of the first songs I think of as being somewhat dark once you get past the soothing melody and vocals. It never occurred to me that the lyrics were anything other than cynical, but I see what you are saying. I guess the verse is the main reason that I have a darker interpretation of the lyrics.

'Cause I got a peaceful, easy feeling
And I know you won't let me down
'Cause I'm already standing on the ground'

WalshFan88
09-25-2012, 05:53 AM
I see PEF both ways - happy as Soda said but I also see the dark side too where he could mean it either way. Great songwriting.

Glennhoney
09-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Gosh ...this album brings back soooo many memories.....I was so excited the actually really see these guys for the 1st time......

GlennLover
09-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Soda, that song by song review was great! :hilarious:
I never thought of TLR as a particularly "dark" album. It is a bit of a downer, but to me "dark" is too strong a word. Overall I really like it. Afterall, it has 2 of my very favorite songs on it - Heartache Tonight & I Can't Tell You Why. I absolutely love both of them! By it's name HT sounds like it would be a downer. Glenn describes it as a "romp" & that is how I hear it. I love rocking out to it!

[quote=Freypower;194281]I would agree with this if in the case of Teenage Jail he had in fact sung the entire song; why he didn't I will never know & unfortunately because it is the worst track on the album it isn't much of a showcase.

I have to agree with Soda's opinion of TDS. It is the only Eagles' song that I can't stand. I think it is the worst song on the album by far. I didn't even put it on my iPod! However, I do think that TJ is clearly the 2nd worst.

There are a couple of tracks on this album which most people love & which I now find boring and/or tedious. Normally when we talk about the album most people criticise Teenage Jail & Greeks & in Soda's case The Disco Strangler. For me it's The Long Run & In The City, both of which are in the band's current setlist, both of which I really don't care for at all, but I realise that I am alone in that opinion.

I think TGDWNF is a fun song. I thought that it was nonsensical until I heard Don & Glenn explain the lyrics in an interview when promoting TLR. I agree with you about ITC, FP. I have never cared for it & I do wish they would drop it from their setlist.

WalshFan88
09-25-2012, 07:44 PM
If they did drop ITC I'd certainly hope they'd keep at least one or two of his solo tunes. Joe needs to sing too. I probably am alone in this but to me, he's just as good of a singer as Henley and Frey - in his own rock n' roll way. He's got a raw rock voice. I also love his solo version of LITFL.

I like ITC - I think it's a good song. I also like the title track....

I like Greeks as well. Can't stand "Strangler", "Jail", "Hollywood", etc. Those are the only three on the album I really don't like. I love Those Shoes though. I think it's quite underrated. That talkbox solo is killer and I love the whole song.

GlennLover
09-25-2012, 08:01 PM
If they did drop ITC I'd certainly hope they'd keep at least one or two of his solo tunes. Joe needs to sing too. I probably am alone in this but to me, he's just as good of a singer as Henley and Frey - in his own rock n' roll way. He's got a raw rock voice. I also love his solo version of LITFL.

I'd want them to keep his solo stuff too. I suppose they keep ITC so that Joe has an "Eagles' " song to sing & it is the most up tempo of his band songs.

I think he has a good voice too. It is so different from either Don's or Glenn's or Timothy's (love his voice too). I think that is one of the attractions of the band. They have 4 "lead" singers with very different voices & thus they have great variety.

Topkat
09-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Looking over the set list of the AC concert, they played 4 songs off this album.
The Long Run, I Can't Tell You Why, Heartache Tonight, & In the City.

The only song that I wouldn't mind being dropped from the set list would have to be The Long Run....I think this song is overrated. I'm not sure if this was a "hit" for them, but the song really doesn't do anything for me. It's one of those songs that I can take it or leave it, and I think there would be other songs I would prefer to hear at a show over this one. Just my opinion..

Freypower
09-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Looking over the set list of the AC concert, they played 4 songs off this album.
The Long Run, I Can't Tell You Why, Heartache Tonight, & In the City.

The only song that I wouldn't mind being dropped from the set list would have to be The Long Run....I think this song is overrated. I'm not sure if this was a "hit" for them, but the song really doesn't do anything for me. It's one of those songs that I can take it or leave it, and I think there would be other songs I would prefer to hear at a show over this one. Just my opinion..

For what it's worth I agree with you.

sodascouts
09-25-2012, 09:19 PM
They have to keep "In the City" in the setlist - Joe has to sing at least ONE Eagles song! It's kind of a sad statement they they seem to believe none of his other Eagles material is worthy of inclusion, so they have to resort to solo and James Gang hits to fill out the set - but then again, like Tim, Joe has so little Eagles material to choose from. I can see the problem.

The cool thing about "The Long Run" live is that it is kind of a theme song because they've "gone the distance" indeed, and I like the whole audience participation thing where Tim encourages us to clap and stand.

Freypower
09-25-2012, 10:13 PM
They have to keep "In the City" in the setlist - Joe has to sing at least ONE Eagles song! It's kind of a sad statement they they seem to believe none of his other Eagles material is worthy of inclusion, so they have to resort to solo and James Gang hits to fill out the set - but then again, like Tim, Joe has so little Eagles material to choose from. I can see the problem.

The cool thing about "The Long Run" live is that it is kind of a theme song because they've "gone the distance" indeed, and I like the whole audience participation thing where Tim encourages us to clap and stand.

Well, perhaps. When I have seen TLR live nobody has been encouraged to clap & stand, and I think it's one of the most undistinguished lyrics they have ever written, 'distance' or not. And the end of it is just boring.

WalshFan88
09-26-2012, 07:14 AM
I think he has a good voice too. It is so different from either Don's or Glenn's or Timothy's (love his voice too). I think that is one of the attractions of the band. They have 4 "lead" singers with very different voices & thus they have great variety.

Exactly. And I admit I like the solo songs, but perhaps not as many as now at the risk of losing Eagles songs and I know I'm beating a dead horse but to me LBG Eagles vs solo is no comparison. The version on Eagles Live is the best for me anyway. Plus the line "They write Tim letters - tell Glenn Don's great" is just classic. :hilarious:

I do like the fact of having 4 separate lead singers as you said and the other 3 doing harmony when one of them is singing lead. That's what I love about the band. Tim and Joe aren't just backup singers or harmony singers, they can sing lead too and have great songs to sing. It's like you are getting multiple shows in one concert. When I saw them in 2008 it was like seeing the Eagles PLUS seeing Henley and Walsh solo shows all together.

Topkat
09-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Quote Sodascouts

I don't see "The Long Run" as any kind of a theme song for them. They didn't last too long after doing this album.... I think "Get Over It" is more of a theme song for them. Kind of like... we had our issues, but it's in the past & we're back together, so Get Over It.!

Tiffanny Twisted
09-26-2012, 11:50 AM
I might miss quote here but my fave line is when Glenn said what relationship doesnt have its ups and downs ?"

Life is a compramise and some do it better than others, Thank god the eagles do it well enought to be strong after 40 years.

tt

Freypower
09-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Exactly. And I admit I like the solo songs, but perhaps not as many as now at the risk of losing Eagles songs and I know I'm beating a dead horse but to me LBG Eagles vs solo is no comparison. The version on Eagles Live is the best for me anyway. Plus the line "They write Tim letters - tell Glenn Don's great" is just classic. :hilarious:

I do like the fact of having 4 separate lead singers as you said and the other 3 doing harmony when one of them is singing lead. That's what I love about the band. Tim and Joe aren't just backup singers or harmony singers, they can sing lead too and have great songs to sing. It's like you are getting multiple shows in one concert. When I saw them in 2008 it was like seeing the Eagles PLUS seeing Henley and Walsh solo shows all together.

It's just that some of us think the Henley/Walsh solo show part is over-emphasised.

Freypower
09-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Quote Sodascouts

I don't see "The Long Run" as any kind of a theme song for them. They didn't last too long after doing this album.... I think "Get Over It" is more of a theme song for them. Kind of like... we had our issues, but it's in the past & we're back together, so Get Over It.!

It's Henley who always goes on about it being a 'theme song'. He's the one who sings it, after all.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Lately, he uses the intro to TLR as talking about being together for so long and I don't remember if he said it in Atlantic City, but he did at both shows in Atlanta and the South Africa shows (from the reviews), that if it wasn't for us, the fans, they wouldn't still be here. Then he thanked us.

Some of Joe's 'solo' songs (mostly James Gang songs) have been sung in concert by the Eagles since 1975. They've made them their own. The original recordings just don't stack up compared to what you hear on Farewell I or live now. Which is what happens when you let 'The Lone Arranger' loose on a song. As for Don's, Dirty Laundry is the ONLY song where they all stand next to each other on a consistent basis. I know this because I've had to learn when to have the camera ready to get them all in one shot. Could they do that to a 'real' Eagles song? Sure. The long and the short of it is, they have high tickets prices (not the highest) and they sell out consistently. They are obviously doing something right. I'd bet there aren't too many casual fans under the age of 50 that even know Walk Away et al aren't Eagles songs. All I know is, I would be disappointed if they weren't played because they don't have that 'Eagles magic' when Joe sings them solo.

Topkat
09-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Quote from VA

They are obviously doing something right. I'd bet there aren't too many casual fans under the age of 50 that even know Walk Away et al aren't Eagles songs. All I know is, I would be disappointed if they weren't played because they don't have that 'Eagles magic' when Joe sings them solo.

I don't know about that, When I saw Joe alone, he did his songs pretty fantastic without the rest of the Eagles, & he gets to do longer solo guitar parts. which I really loved. I do think most people know which songs are Joe's from his solo career, just like they would know Don's solo songs.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Quote from VA

I don't know about that, When I saw Joe alone, he did his songs pretty fantastic without the rest of the Eagles, & he gets to do longer solo guitar parts. which I really loved. I do think most people know which songs are Joe's from his solo career, just like they would know Don's solo songs.

Well, it is true. The audience at the solo show I went to a month or so ago was the definition of the word 'pedantic' and maybe that had something to do with it. But while he did a great job on Crossroads and the iHeart shows, watching them didn't give me 'magic' either.

sodascouts
09-26-2012, 08:53 PM
The long and the short of it is, they have high tickets prices (not the highest) and they sell out consistently. They are obviously doing something right.

By this logic, they should never feel the need to change anything, ever.

That logic leads to stagnancy. I for one like to see the Eagles mixing it up a bit. Somehow I think they'll still be selling out regardless. When have they not?

Topkat
09-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Well, it is true. The audience at the solo show I went to a month or so ago was the definition of the word 'pedantic' and maybe that had something to do with it. But while he did a great job on Crossroads and the iHeart shows, watching them didn't give me 'magic' either.

Well, to be fair, to see him live is also a lot better than seeing it on tv or video. I just think Joe's songs can be done alone without the other Eagles, just as I love Don doing his solos alone without the other Eagles. Just my opinion. I love them both ways, either with or without the other Eagles.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-26-2012, 10:09 PM
I've never seen Don solo. Yet. I'm hoping that any day now, he'll announce some shows. And a new album.

Yes, it does lead to being stagnant, and it sounds like they plan on shaking things up a bit next year.

My brother called my last night and I mentioned to him that it's been 33 yrs since this album was released. He was 12 at the time and I reminded him of how he used to dance around the living room to TLR and HT, playing air guitar or holding something to use as a microphone. I'm not sure he appreciated me resurrecting that memory. So now I've got to go through mom's pictures and find one of him dancing to it and torment him with it. It's my job as a sister.

EaglesKiwi
09-27-2012, 05:13 AM
My brother called my last night and I mentioned to him that it's been 33 yrs since this album was released. He was 12 at the time and I reminded him of how he used to dance around the living room to TLR and HT, playing air guitar or holding something to use as a microphone. I'm not sure he appreciated me resurrecting that memory. So now I've got to go through mom's pictures and find one of him dancing to it and torment him with it. It's my job as a sister.
I'm sure you'll uphold that responsibility admirably... :nod:

Brooke
09-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Now that's a true sister! Love it! :hilarious:

09-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Regarding the song "The Long Run", I'm one that happens to love it - I personally think the music, vocals, lyrics, and Memphis blues arrangement are all fantastic and very catchy. And if the guys want to proclaim it as their theme song, then that is certainly their prerogative. I particulary like what Glenn and Don had to say about the song here ...

THE LONG RUN

GLENN: We'd had the idea for about six or seven years. The title of the song was apropos, and it seemed to be a good title for the album -- let's see who'll last. I think it was a lot about longevity, and it was also about me just lovin' Tyrone Davis' record "Turning Point." We had done some slicker production like the Philly sound, but "Long Run" was more like a tribute to Memphis with the slide guitars playing the parts of the horns.

DON: It was a long and difficult album. Everything was catching up to us. Too much pressure, too much worry, too much traveling, too many controlled substances, too much paranoia and infighting. I missed having a normal life. Glenn and I were starting to grow distant. Everything was pulling apart -- and we were writing about longevity. [thoughtful pause] Yeah, well, even if we weren't living it, we were always able to idealize it in a song about the way we'd like to be -- the way we'd like to be perceived. That song may have been a message to our critics. It may have been a message from Glenn to me or me to Glenn. It could be taken all kinds of different ways. Could be a message to a girl -- a long-departed lover. But, again, it was built on that foundation of Glenn's rhythm guitar playing [sings part]. Always that foundation. So, here we are some 25 years later -- 32 years total -- still going strong. The Long Run, indeed.

09-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Way to go, VA - can't drop the ball on your sisterly duties! :thumbsup:

And, as I've said before, I am also a fan of keeping the solo songs in the setlist and agree with VA that the band is doing something right. If that logic leads to stagnancy, maybe that's not a bad thing. As VA said, this is a band that has had a core group of songs in their setlist for over 30 years and, sorry folks, but that ain't likely to change. They occasionally change the setlist around some, and I expect they will continue to do so for their next tour, but that core group of songs will and should remain, IMHO. As we repeatedly say, the majority of casual fans who are in the audience for each show love that stagnancy.

sodascouts
09-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah, and they also sell tickets and please crowds playing shortened setlists with reduced Glenn vocals...

No, I don't think stagnancy is a good thing for the Eagles, not when they're going down that kind of path.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-27-2012, 04:30 PM
I have absolutely no doubt that if Glenn wanted to sing more lead vocals he would be. While I'm not at all happy about the shortened setlist and especially the reduced number of his lead vocals, I'll bow to his greater expertise in figuring it all out...while sending positive thoughts his way as they determine the setlist for next year, and hope that he suddenly wants to sing more lead vocals.

Freypower
09-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Yeah, and they also sell tickets and please crowds playing shortened setlists with reduced Glenn vocals...

No, I don't think stagnancy is a good thing for the Eagles, not when they're going down that kind of path.

Hear, hear.

As for The Long Run, it may be a theme song & all of that, but that doesn't mean I have to think the song is great. Sorry. Yes, it's a minority opinion which is held only by myself & Topkat, apparently.

zeldabjr
09-27-2012, 09:34 PM

had to bring this forward...it's from 10/09...and it's priceless Willie:hilarious:

zeldabjr
09-27-2012, 09:57 PM
I have always liked so many of the songs on this album...and I never thought about it as being "dark"...I don't analyze songs that deeply...it's more of a gut thing to me...either it hits me or it doesn't...I don't love every song on it...but then again there are very very few of those albums...I remember thinking how hard it was going to be for them to follow up HC...and that people were bound to be disappointed in whatever they put out next...and I remember a lot of negative comments about it, but I love it overall!:heart:

Tiffanny Twisted
09-30-2012, 10:50 AM
had to bring this forward...it's from 10/09...and it's priceless Willie:hilarious:
that is too funny:rofl::rofl::rofl:

sodascouts
09-24-2013, 12:08 AM
... and it's that time of year again! Happy birthday to The Long Run!

Who can go the distance? Our Eagles, that's who!

GlennLover
09-24-2013, 07:47 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE LONG RUN! Although this album contains two of my least favourite Eagles' songs (DS, TJ), it also contains two of my most favourites (HT, ICTYW). I also particularly like TLR, KOH, SC & TGDWNF.

Brooke
09-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Love it, as I do all their albums!

Houston Baby
09-24-2013, 10:18 AM
WOW Soda! That is one HOT avi!!! GF with an open shirt!!! I may not get any work done today! :smitten:

Houston Baby
09-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Gee whiz! I got so sidetracked by Soda's HS&G avi that I forgot to say....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TLR!!!

prayfordaylight
09-24-2013, 10:32 AM
Obviously I'm a little biased towards TLR era for one particular reason (points to avie). Despite everything that went into making it, it's one of my favorite Eagles albums.

thelastresort
09-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Happy birthday The Long Run :blueblob: My least-liked Eagles album by a mile but In The City is a fine song, as is the solo in ICTYW. :D

Outlawman13
09-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Happy birthday to the Long Run!!!! I find this album to be simply amazing!! I do love the songs on them. And Soda, your avvie is so hot!!!! Whew Glenn with his shirt open like that is just so wow!!!!

sodascouts
09-24-2013, 08:51 PM
Yes, the more chest, the better! ;)

shunlvswx
09-24-2013, 09:46 PM
Happy Birthday, The Long Run. I was 5 months after the album came out.

I love the The Long Run and I Can't Tell You Why. Those Shoes is growing on me.

WalshFan88
09-25-2013, 12:05 AM
Happy Birthday to The Long Run!!!

My 2nd favorite Eagles album. I think it's kinda underrated.

SilverMoon
09-25-2013, 01:45 AM
Happy Anniversary to The Long Run!

This is a pretty good album. I love “I Can’t Tell You Why,” it’s one of my all-time favorite songs. I also particularly like the title track, “Those Shoes,” “The Disco Strangler,” “In The City,” “The Sad Café,” and “Heartache Tonight.”

shunlvswx
09-25-2013, 09:11 AM
I don't like Heartache Tonight because my favorite group has this song in their show and it gets tiring when you hear it. LOL But I like the Eagles version.

SoaringRockyMountainWay
09-25-2013, 03:57 PM
I love The Long Run! I love all the songs on that album. I couldn't pick a favorite.

09-25-2013, 07:30 PM
HAPPY 34TH ANNIVERSARY TO THE LONG RUN!!!

Although it's not my favorite Eagles album, I still think this is an amazing, high-quality, underrated album. No wonder this band is so legendary!!!

shunlvswx
09-24-2014, 02:11 PM
Happy 35th Birthday to The Long Run. We're almost the same age. I was born 4 month and 8 days later in 1980. Of course 5 months old when they broke up.

This album has grown on me now. I like majority of the songs on the album.

thelastresort
09-24-2014, 02:25 PM
This album has grown on me now. I like majority of the songs on the album.

Indeed, my personal stance on it has changed from utter contempt to moderate dislike :razz:

In all seriousness though I have grown to like it - there were times when I wouldn't voluntarily have listened to it but now, aside from frankly horrible Disco Strangler and the boring King of Hollywood, I don't really mind it at all.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY THE LONG RUN!!!

prayfordaylight
09-24-2014, 02:25 PM
I agree TLR is definitely underrated but much like Tusk after Rumours, TLR was always going to be underrated after Hotel California. Half the songs on this album rank amongst my absolute favorite Eagles songs (especially HT and the title track).

UndertheWire
09-24-2014, 02:45 PM
It passed me by 35 years ago but that meant it was fresh to me when I first heard it last year. My favourite track is probably King of Hollywood. I like the sleazy aspect but particularly the guitars. I really don't like The Disco Strangler - it's just bad.

bluefeather
09-24-2014, 04:16 PM
happy birthday to The Long Run that gave us ICTYW, the Sad Cafe and HT:partytime:

Brooke
09-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Happy Birthday to The Long Run!

It helps me remember them if I list them so:

The Long Run
I Can't Tell You Why
In the City
The Disco Strangler
King of Hollywood
Heartache Tonight
Those Shoes
Teenage Jail
The Sad Cafe

I really like all of the songs except Disco Strangler and Teenage Jail. They are just plain bad.

Even though King of Hollywood is sleazy, I really love the guitars and the dark, sexiness of it. I just don't dwell on what he is really singing about!

Favorites are Heartache Tonight and The Long Run.

Topkat
09-24-2014, 06:00 PM
OMG! Can it really be 35 years???? Love this album, Loads of great songs:thumbsup:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE LONG RUN

Have we done Survivor for The Long Run? Why not do one for the anniversary, even if we did one a long time ago...lots of new members who maybe haven't played??? Anyone?

sodascouts
09-24-2014, 06:05 PM
Sorry I didn't change the style at midnight like usual, guys - it was a busy day!

But yes -
HAPPY 35th BIRTHDAY TO THE LONG RUN!!

I think we did a Survivor on this one relatively recently... I'll have to find the thread.

zeldabjr
09-24-2014, 07:30 PM
Happy 35th Birthday to The Long Run!!!

I love this album...it was the first Eagles album I ever bought...because I had to have I Can't Tell You Why...

Zanny Kingston
09-24-2014, 08:33 PM
WOW 35 years!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE LONG RUN!

I was a teenager when this came out and I had heard Eagles songs before on the radio, but when I heard ICTYW that's what did it for me. I loved that song and still do. It's overall really a pretty good album and it has grown on me, there are times when TLR is just what I want to hear!

sodascouts
09-24-2014, 09:01 PM
I think we did a Survivor on this one relatively recently... I'll have to find the thread.

I just looked it up. Turns out it's been four years! My, how time flies! I'm going out of town this weekend and I'll be away for a week, though, so let me think about it and see if Dreamer and I can pull it off. That is, if there's interest...

thelastresort
09-24-2014, 09:30 PM
I would love a re-run of any album / concert-based Survivor, they're probably my favourite series of threads on here. I'm not knocking the recent ones, but I would really love an Eagles one again, I think they're more inclusive than individual Eagle ones.

shunlvswx
09-24-2014, 11:01 PM
I'm interested in a Survivor game of The Long Run. I was just listening to the album this afternoon at work on Spotify. It would be my first time doing it for this album.

I enjoy the Survivor games too. Every since I became a member of this board last year, I participated in all of the recently Survivor games. I think Glenn's survivor game was my first one. I could be wrong.

UndertheWire
09-25-2014, 07:46 AM
I'm a little hesitant about posting this. It's typical Felder on the recording of the album.
http://somethingelsereviews.com/2014/09/24/we-kept-trying-to-raise-the-bar-higher-don-felder-on-the-eagles-struggles-to-complete-the-long-run/

Does that contradict what he's said elsewhere? Or just what other people have said?

ETA: He has a different version of the Heartache Tonight story in this one:
http://b1027.com/eagles-hit-heartache-tonight-was-an-afterthought/

Brooke
09-25-2014, 10:00 AM
I don't know, UtW, but I'm certainly glad they scrambled and found Heartache Tonight for Glenn to sing! Poor thing! (being sarcastic there) And what a hit it turned out to be!

Why do these people constantly interview Felder? It amazes me that all he wants to talk about is what he did with the Eagles!

But, he's keeping their name out there by doing so..........

secret squirrel
09-25-2014, 11:09 AM
From UCR. Haven't read it all yet.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-long-run/

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/kick-em-when-theyre-up-backlash.html

UndertheWire
09-25-2014, 11:36 AM
I feel like I've read the UCR piece before but it may just be that I've read all the interviews that it's rehashed. Still, it's a good summary.

And talking about stuff we've seen before, this is Glenn's version of the writing of Heartache Tonight:

HEARTACHE TONIGHT
GLENN: …and then they sold 12 million records, and everything changed! As Bob Dylan said, “They deceived me into thinking I had something to protect.” And that’s what happened with us. We made it, and it ate us. The Long Run became, indeed, the long run. It was a difficult record to make overall, but I loved “Heartache Tonight.” Whenever Bob Seger was in L.A., he always used to come over and visit me, and he’d visit Don, too, and play us stuff he was working on — and we would do the same. I seem to remember that I had the verse thing going on for “Heartache Tonight,” and I was showing it to Seger, and we were jammin’ — I think we were jammin’ on electric guitars at LaFontaine — and then he blurted out the chorus. That’s how “Heartache” started. Then Bob disappeared, and J.D., Don, and I finished that song up. No heavy lyrics — the song is more of a romp — and that’s what it was intended to be.
http://www.theuncool.com/journalism/the-very-best-of-the-eagles/

Brooke
09-25-2014, 11:42 AM
Good article! Thanks ss!

This made me laugh!

"You just had to step back and give things time to calm down,” sighed manager Irving Azoff in 1982. “In my opinion, they broke up when Glenn and Don realized that they could both make great solo albums, and that’s now. They realized they don’t need the Eagles anymore. That’s why you’re not going to see them go out and do a farewell tour or a farewell album or a farewell anything. It’s just over, period.”

Too funny! Especially since we had the 'Farewell One' tour! And more since! Time passes, things change! :wink:

shunlvswx
09-25-2014, 01:47 PM
That's interesting that their last no. 1 almost didn't make the album. Thank goodness they found that song.

sodascouts
09-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Well, this Joe Walsh's version of the story, as told to The Los Angeles Times:
"The creative stalemate [of the band] was broken the night the band recorded 'Heartache.' Glenn went out and sung his ass off on that track. We knew then that we were off the hook a little. We had a single."
So, I think the idea that it almost didn't make the album is a bit of exaggeration...

As far as the vast majority of it being written by Seger, here's what one of the co-writers JD Souther had to say:

"Bob Seger [...] gave us the title."

Freypower
09-25-2014, 06:02 PM
That's interesting that their last no. 1 almost didn't make the album. Thank goodness they found that song.

You may choose to believe Felder's version if you wish.

It just makes me angry. The condescension to Glenn & the outright misrepresentation of what actually occurred accrding to Glenn.

I suppose in a perverse way it does demonstrate the shameful underuse of the band's founder and leader on their last two albums. I imagine Felder was OK with that.

Every single time he is interviewed, he rolls out this stuff & interviewers just lap it up. Then he wonders why the Long Beach fiasco happened & why Glenn eventually couldn't deal with him any longer. I shouldn't keep harping on this but this latest effort sums him up, in my view.

I suppose I should point out that while I am obviously more inclined to believe Glenn's version it seems to be that Glenn's version is not replete with an agenda, unlike every story told by Felder which all appear to have the same objective of either trashing Glenn or being as dismissive as possible of Glenn's work.

WalshFan88
09-26-2014, 02:00 AM
I've been plenty hard on this album as of late but I DO still think the good songs on this album are great.

I still think Those Shoes is criminally underrated and nothing made me happier than hearing it in concert. It was my favorite part of the whole show I saw....good move guys on bringing that one back.

Of course Heartache Tonight and I Can't Tell You Why are my faves but I love the title track and In The City too. And Greeks is a guilty pleasure of mine. :hilarious:

I just was listening to the title track and had never noticed Tim's bassline. Wow, I think it's my favorite. Love how it grooves. Reminds me of Motown. When you get a chance, take a listen.

09-27-2014, 12:27 PM
Well - I'm a little late to the celebration, but ...

HAPPY 35TH ANNIVERSARY TO THE LONG RUN!!!

Although it was a difficult record for the band to make and it wasn't the commercial success of its predecessor, this is still a wonderful album, IMO. It boggles the mind that an album could sell in excess of 10 million copies worldwide, and be considered a disappointment. Most bands would die for to have that kind of success methinks.

UndertheWire
09-27-2014, 12:58 PM
Here's more about writing HT from JD Souther.

Songfacts: No, that wouldn't be fair. Let's talk about "Heartache Tonight," which you worked on for the Eagles. I tend to look at the words to the songs, and that kind of attracts me first. But the recording of that song is so much fun, it's so rhythmic, and it's like a foot-stomping kind of a rocker. Can you tell me about the experience of writing that song and where that came from?

J.D.: Glenn Frey and I had been listening to Sam Cooke records at my house. So we were just walking around clapping our hands and snapping fingers and singing the verses to those songs. The melody sounds very much like those Sam Cooke shuffles. And Bob Seger wrote the chorus to it.

Songfacts: I didn't know that.

J.D.: There's not much to it. I mean, it's really just two long verses. But it felt really good. You can get a feel for how something's going to come out sometimes. We didn't get to a chorus that we liked within the first few days, and I think Glenn was on the phone with Seger, and he said, "I wanna run something by you," and sang it to him, and Seger just came right in with the chorus, just sang it and it was so good. Glen called me and said, "Is four writers okay on this?" And I said, "Sure, if it's good." And he said, "Yeah, it's great. Seger just sang this to me," and he sang it to me and I said, "That's fantastic."

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=5076

So three people and three different stories, though Glenn and JD's aren't that different.

MaryCalifornia
09-27-2014, 01:55 PM
I just was listening to the title track and had never noticed Tim's bassline. Wow, I think it's my favorite. Love how it grooves. Reminds me of Motown. When you get a chance, take a listen.

I put on some Bose noise-canceling headphones and listened, it's funny how a good pair of headphones changes what you hear. The bass is so prominent, how have I not noticed it before? I think Don's singing and the interesting lead guitar are where your ears automatically go. Funky Timmy Schmit.

I too love Those Shoes, and the bass really drives it. I think you like bass-heavy songs, Austin! Can we talk about that little "vocal interlude" - I don't know what to call it, around "they give you tablets of love" - is it TBS and Glenn? Where did it come from? Why is it there? Whose idea was it? I love it. Funky Eagles.

tjh532
09-27-2014, 03:46 PM

I agree with you and Mary both - the bassline in this song is amazing!

I love this album because it was one of the first albums I bought as a kid with my own money. Anyone remember Columbia House Record Club? The Long Run and The first Greatest Hits were two of the albums I got.

WalshFan88
09-29-2014, 02:58 AM
I put on some Bose noise-canceling headphones and listened, it's funny how a good pair of headphones changes what you hear. The bass is so prominent, how have I not noticed it before? I think Don's singing and the interesting lead guitar are where your ears automatically go. Funky Timmy Schmit.

Definitely!! Headphones are amazing...listening to old vinyl with great headphones is out of this world for hearing things I would never have heard otherwise. I was listen to Led Zeppelin's "Rock And Roll" the other night and I would have never guessed it had that many guitar fills or pieces in it! Definitely more going on than the main guitar riff and drum intro.

I too love Those Shoes, and the bass really drives it. I think you like bass-heavy songs, Austin! Can we talk about that little "vocal interlude" - I don't know what to call it, around "they give you tablets of love" - is it TBS and Glenn? Where did it come from? Why is it there? Whose idea was it? I love it. Funky Eagles.

I definitely love bass and songs with a prominent or driving bassline. I'm more of a rhythm guitarist than a lead guitarist (although I do play both), truth be told and I am all about heavy chunk in rock n' roll rhythm guitar and riffs and chords and I love the strong basslines. And in smoother songs, the bass line has to groove. The drums and bass are what makes a song danceable or headbang-able! The rhythm section is an often overlooked but important part. And rhythm guitarists generally don't get enough praise because of being overshadowed by the lead guitarists. Malcolm Young is a great example. Everyone focuses on Angus (and I do love Angus) but Malcolm was the engine of the Rock N' Roll Train that is AC/DC.

Freypower
09-29-2014, 06:33 PM

It's the bridge. It's a standard part of a song (another example is the 'mirrors on the ceiling' section in Hotel California). I would guess, as usual in this period, Henley wrote the words & Glenn probably the music (and yes, I know Felder has a writing credit. Please don't ask me to try & attribute any of it to him).

Lyrically, the bridge is typically used to pause and reflect on the earlier portions of the song or to prepare the listener for the climax. The term may also refer to the section between the verse and the chorus, though this is more commonly called the pre-chorus or link.

Bridge (music) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_%28music%29)

It is TBS & Glenn doing the harmonies in this part.

MaryCalifornia
09-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Thanks, FP. Love hearing just Glenn and Timothy singing together. I guess it's the style in which they sing those lines I'm interested in, they sound like cool cats. I won't ask you to explain Felder's contributions to the songwriting!!!!:laugh:

So, how is "Mirrors on the Ceiling" different from "On a dark desert highway" and "Her mind is Tiffany-twisted"? I thought it was just the first lines to the next verse, why is it considered a bridge?

Freypower
09-29-2014, 07:18 PM
I think you are right. :doh: For some reason I always thought of it that way because that's where the song changes gear after the second chorus. I have a correct example now. New Kid In Town; the 'there's so many things you should have told her' section. Sorry about that!

MaryCalifornia
09-29-2014, 07:45 PM
Yeah, no worries,this makes me think it would be cool to have a thread where we diagram Eagles' songs, so that we could try to identify the different parts of the songs.

Houston Debutante
10-02-2014, 05:03 PM
Way late I know ~ but HAPPY 35TH ANNIVERSARY LONG RUN!

shunlvswx
09-24-2015, 02:28 PM
Happy 36th Birthday to The Long Run.

AlreadyGone95
09-24-2015, 04:46 PM
Happy 36th birthday to The Long Run :band:

Funk 50
09-24-2015, 04:52 PM

Vocals wise, I've always preferred Randy but Tim and Don really gelled as a great rhythm section on The Long Run album.

One of my favourite 80s bands was David Lindley's, El-Rayo -X (pronounced ikkiss). They had a great tune with a similar bass-line to The Long Run titled, Turning Point; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huKR6c0MgHw

It was no surprise to learn that The Long Run was based (no pun intended:grin:) on Tyrone Davis's original;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5LXTNvJ38w

THE LONG RUN
GLENN: We’d had the idea for about six or seven years. The title of the song was apropos, and it seemed to be a good title for the album — let’s see who’ll last. I think it was a lot about longevity, and it was also about me just lovin’ Tyrone Davis’ record “Turning Point.” We had done some slicker production like the Philly sound, but “Long Run” was more like a tribute to Memphis with the slide guitars playing the parts of the horns.

They all share that great bass line groove :grooving::grooving:

LuvTim
09-24-2015, 08:01 PM
Love The Long Run!!!! Celebrate!!!! :rockon:

NOLA
09-24-2015, 08:04 PM
Before I forget....

Happy 36th birthday to The Long Run! :birthday:

(AKA "The Wrong One," or whatever other nicknames the Eagles wish to give their final album of the decadent '70s.)

sodascouts
09-24-2015, 10:04 PM
Happy 36th Birthday to The Long Run!!

Who can go the distance?

The EAGLES, that's who!

09-24-2015, 10:32 PM
HAPPY 36TH ANNIVERSARY TO THE LONG RUN!!!

Love this board style!

The memory of me sitting on my bed staring at this insert when I first saw it is still very vivid for me - trying to figure out if that was really Glenn and realizing that Randy had left the band and there was some new guy that had taken his place ...

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/lrinsertbig.jpg

shunlvswx
09-24-2015, 10:55 PM
Here's an article from Ultimate Classic Rock website about The Long Run's 36th Anniversary.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-long-run/

chaim
09-25-2015, 03:48 AM
Speaking of bridges. Paul McCartney has talked many times about a chord they used to introduce the bridge with in the early days - a chord that opened a new world for them. Musicians, especially jazz musicians, here will know that there was nothing strange about using a II-V progression to get to a chord at that point, but I guess it was new in that genre.

In those days the bridge was called a "middle eight", because it usually had eight bars.

Here the bridge starts at 0:51 mark. It starts with that chord. (For musicians: it's a II-V for the IV chord) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipADNlW7yBM

Here they used the same chord trick to go to the bridge (or middle eight). Starts from 0:35 mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8xhSeZi5CM

Because I also want those who don't know about chords to know what I'm talking about, I'll try to explain the Beatles example. It never really goes away from the main key of the song. The "extra" chord does not belong in the main key of the song. But it does belong in the key of one chord in the song. If the song is in the key of C major, the F major chord is very much part of that key. The "wonder chord" McCartney has marveled at is a G minor, which doesn't belong in the key of C. But it's very much part of the key of F. So they use it briefly to go to the F chord. So we might say that for a few seconds they go to the key of F, but it's so brief that it's just a little visit and not a key change. In a nutshell: one of the chords in the main key (kind of) becomes the key of the song for a couple of seconds.

So it seems to me that it's been a custom for ages to take the song briefly to a new world in the bridge - chordwise.

Often the song goes to a new key at the end of the bridge, like in New Kid In Town. Often the guitar solo comes after the bridge.

It's still a common (too common IMO) trick to go to the bridge by using some "strange" chords. Chords that haven't been in the song before and hint to another key. The chords themselves aren't weird, but they sound strange and sudden in that particular key. I'm not talking about the "Macca chord" now. But certain "strange" bridge chords have become so common that they are not surprising anymore. I know they are going to come when I hear a song, and it's lame. This is very common in hard rock ballads. I couldn't think of another example at the moment, so I'll give you an awful KISS ballad. The verse already contains a chord that doesn't belong in the key, but it doesn't "threaten" the main key. Listen to the song from the beginning so you get used to the key. See if you "know" when the bridge will start and/or if you can hear exactly what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUi_Dtcg0C4

Another hard rock ballad that goes to "surprising" chords in the bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BMwcO6_hyA&index=2&list=PL602E1E0A9A30CC9A

sodascouts
09-28-2015, 07:40 PM
Hmm, very interesting, chaim!

chaim
01-24-2016, 12:25 PM
I don't think this question is big enough to deserve a thread of its own. I checked what Wikipedia says about I Can't Tell You Why. It says two times that Joe played all the keyboard parts in this song - INCLUDING the electric piano. I don't trust Wikipedia, but I trust people here. Did Joe play the electric piano part? Somehow I don't believe it. I fixed the guitar info in the "personnel" section, as it said "Don Felder: Lead/rhythm guitar".

scottside
01-24-2016, 12:41 PM
I'm sure Glenn played both the electric piano and lead guitar parts. In fact, I thought I had read somewhere that Felder wasn't on the original recordings of this at all, but I can't recall when or from where that was. Joe plays just the organ.

chaim
01-24-2016, 12:43 PM
I'm pretty sure Don F played the rhythm part(s). In his book he says how he had fun working on the guitar part. As he didn't play the lead bits, he must have meant the rhythm part, which is a lot of fun.

scottside
01-24-2016, 01:15 PM
It makes sense that Felder would've played the rhythm parts...I'd forgotten all about those. I still don't know why Glenn didn't play the solo in concert. From 1979 onward, the Eagles always had at least one extra keyboard player in the band so there was no need for him to have to deal with the electric piano part. It just doesn't make sense to me.

chaim
01-24-2016, 01:28 PM
There isn't much going on in the arrangement (I think "sparse" is the word) and perhaps Glenn felt that there isn't much for another guitarist to do when he's not playing the solos - in the live situation. But he could've had his guitar with him while sitting at the electric piano and grabbed the guitar for the solo bits...

Perhaps he felt - modest as he was - that he couldn't play the solos that well night after night.

Who knows...It sure is an interesting question.

UndertheWire
01-24-2016, 02:01 PM
I'm pretty sure Don F played the rhythm part(s). In his book he says how he had fun working on the guitar part. As he didn't play the lead bits, he must have meant the rhythm part, which is a lot of fun.
I believe Glenn said that he, Don F and Joe each took a turn at playing a solo for the song and that his was chosen. So Don may well have worked out a lead guitar part that wasn't used.

When it came to playing live, they each had a role to play and maybe Glenn considered he had enough to do without playing lead guitar whereas Don shouldn't stand there twiddling his thumbs.

chaim
01-24-2016, 02:23 PM
I believe Glenn said that he, Don F and Joe each took a turn at playing a solo for the song and that his was chosen. So Don may well have worked out a lead guitar part that wasn't used.

When it came to playing live, they each had a role to play and maybe Glenn considered he had enough to do without playing lead guitar whereas Don shouldn't stand there twiddling his thumbs.

He wouldn't have done that even if Glenn had played the solos live. Don's rhythm guitar part is an important part of the song. Not as important as the guitar solos and the electric piano intro, but important nevertheless.

MaryCalifornia
01-24-2016, 02:56 PM
There isn't much going on in the arrangement (I think "sparse" is the word)

Or as Timothy describes it in HoTE, "a lot of air in it." :wink:

chaim
01-24-2016, 05:05 PM
Or as Timothy describes it in HoTE, "a lot of air in it." :wink:

This is funny because...Although I don't remember Timothy saying that, I was actually thinking of the word "air", but I wasn't sure if you can use that word in this context (in English). :smile:

Nash71
01-26-2016, 11:31 AM
It was the first Eagles album I listened to in its entirety. I was just 10, a friend had the Japanese press cassette and he loaned it to me. We had cassettes back then. I was hooked! Still has a special place in my heart.

WalshFan88
01-31-2016, 10:24 PM
It's funny. I was talking to my dad and his favorite and least favorite Eagles songs are on the same album - The Long Run.

His favorite is In The City, and least favorite is The Long Run (title track).

I'm not going to argue with ITC being great, but I've always felt the title track was underrated. I like the Memphis soul RNB vibe of this song and I love the dual slide on the original.

I love the music videos from this album but I wish there would have been a Heartache Tonight music video.

Outlawman13
02-01-2016, 12:50 AM
I do love the music from this album, but it's not my favvie!!

The song that I really love (on here) is Heartache Tonight

zeldabjr
02-01-2016, 01:20 AM
The Long Run was the first Eagles album I ever bought...and it was because I fell in love with I Can't Tell You Why...

Teenage Jail
02-09-2016, 11:31 AM
I'm heavily into The Long Run era and wanted to know if anyone knows more info in the videos that were filmed during The Long Run era. I'm familiar with the "I Can't Tell You Why" & "The Long Run" promo music videos but I believe there is more clips from the album possibly an entire video album. I'm also trying to make sense of why I can't find Joe Walsh's promo music video for "Life's Been Good" anywhere online. I know it was projected at the Eagles shows but still, nowhere to be found online.

02-09-2016, 12:11 PM
Welcome TJ. To the best of my knowledge, the only videos from The Long Run album were The Long Run, I Can't Tell You Why, and In the City. If there were others, they've never surfaced around here.

I am also unaware of any video for Life's Been Good. Sometimes there is some confusion that the video for I Can Play That Rock and Roll was Life's Been Good. Even in The History of the Eagles documentary, they use the music to Life's Been Good for the clips to the video. Here is a link you can download the video ...

http://www.joewalshonline.com/solo/moviestv/icanplayvideo.htm

shunlvswx
09-24-2016, 07:42 PM
Happy 37th Birthday to The Long Run. One of my favorite albums.

Jonny Come Lately
09-25-2016, 07:06 AM
Happy 37th Anniversary to The Long Run!

Very strong album overall IMO - I listened to it in full on Friday which was probably perfect timing as it was just one day before the actual anniversary but well in time for the Survivor game. The funny thing with this album was that it was the only one of their 1970s albums that didn't click with me initially apart from about 2-3 songs. However it then really started to grow on me and it's now my fourth favourite Eagles album. I don't want to say too much else about it for now as I want to be able to tactically 'play my hand' in the game!

10-15-2016, 11:26 AM
Well - I am quite late with this, but I also want to wish a belated anniversary to this awesome album. I got side-tracked with starting the Survivor game while Soda and I were on our trip to Winslow and I forgot to post in here. So here is my late shout out ...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO THE LONG RUN!!!

sodascouts
09-24-2017, 07:56 PM
Released on this day in 1979... THE LONG RUN!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO

THE LONG RUN!

shunlvswx
09-24-2017, 09:20 PM
Happy 38th Birthday to the Long Run. The album is only 5 and a half months older than me.

LuvTim
09-24-2017, 10:07 PM
Love "The Long Run!" Long may it play!:inlove:

YoungEaglesFan
09-24-2017, 10:29 PM
Sorry if this has already been addressed but has the long run survivor started? If so where is the thread?

Freypower
09-24-2017, 11:40 PM
Sorry if this has already been addressed but has the long run survivor started? If so where is the thread?

There is no Long Run Survivor at the moment. I don't know when there will be another Survivor game.

New Kid In Town
09-25-2017, 11:10 AM
Having some problems with my computer so lets see if this goes through.

Happy Birthday to The Long Run. The album that introduced Tim as the new Eagle. Never thought that when released this it would be almost 30 until they released another album.

NightMistBlue
09-25-2017, 11:38 AM
Holy smokes. That's got to be the longest "break" between albums of any band.

WalshFan88
09-25-2017, 02:50 PM
I love The Long Run, warts and all. And I think it's album cover is my favorite of the band. Simple, to the point. HC is still my favorite album, but TLR is up there.

sodascouts
09-25-2017, 11:14 PM
Austin, if TLR is your favorite cover, you're quite the minimalist! However, I can see the appeal.

As far as the album goes... well... even the weakest effort of the Eagles has stellar moments on it, and their weakest efforts are better than the vast majority of bands at the top of their game.

There is no Long Run Survivor at the moment. I don't know when there will be another Survivor game.

Dreamer and I were thinking of doing another one, if there's interest, in a couple weeks.

chaim
10-19-2017, 10:24 AM
It's been for ages in Wikipedia that Joe played all the keyboard parts - including the electric piano - in the original recording of ICTYW. There's no source mentioned. Someone removed my guitar harmony credit for Glenn in OOTN (supported by an Eagles book and Don Felder) immediately, but this one seems to stick. Is it true? I don't believe it. Why would Glenn not have played it? He overdubbed the lead guitars later anyway.

Freypower
10-19-2017, 05:43 PM
It's been for ages in Wikipedia that Joe played all the keyboard parts - including the electric piano - in the original recording of ICTYW. There's no source mentioned. Someone removed my guitar harmony credit for Glenn in OOTN (supported by an Eagles book and Don Felder) immediately, but this one seems to stick. Is it true? I don't believe it. Why would Glenn not have played it? He overdubbed the lead guitars later anyway.

Joe played keyboards on stage during this song. Why wouldn't he have recorded it?

scottside
10-19-2017, 05:52 PM
Joe played keyboards on stage during this song. Why wouldn't he have recorded it?

I think Joe is the one who usually played the organ on Eagles songs in the few songs that had one. Glenn almost always played piano and/or electric piano. The anomaly is Don Felder playing organ on the song "The Long Run," which seemed odd to me.

My My
10-19-2017, 06:03 PM
In Felder's book he says, "On The Long Run, I played keyboards for the first time on record." He said they were trying out new materials and new ways of playing it.

chaim
10-19-2017, 09:56 PM

Wikipedia claims Joe played the Rhodes part in the studio as well. It says Glenn only played the lead guitars. Glenn always played the Rhodes part live, not Joe. Joe played either the organ or string part live.

Funk 50
10-20-2017, 06:32 AM
I hope the re-release of Hotel California sells well as that would open up the possibility of a 40th Anniversary edition of The Long Run being released.

Surely that has a lot more potential to be a more interesting release for uberfans, especially if they do a associated live dates too. It'd be a thrill to see them climb out of their comfort zone to perform The Long Run in it's entirety.

Freypower
10-20-2017, 05:02 PM
I hope the re-release of Hotel California sells well as that would open up the possibility of a 40th Anniversary edition of The Long Run being released.

Surely that has a lot more potential to be a more interesting release for uberfans, especially if they do a associated live dates too. It'd be a thrill to see them climb out of their comfort zone to perform The Long Run in it's entirety.

I don't wish to argue with this, because I have heard it all before. Just the casual going on as if nothing happened stuff. It is TOO LATE now for this to happen.

Is there anyone else who supports the current situation who would like to see this album played live in its entirety? If so, why?

listen to the eagles
10-20-2017, 06:56 PM
I very much enjoy watching and listening to live music. Can't think of any band I had rather watch/listen to than the Eagles. Its not the same now, but still for me I'd rather see them than any other.

Delilah
10-20-2017, 08:15 PM
Wikipedia claims Joe played the Rhodes part in the studio as well. It says Glenn only played the lead guitars. Glenn always played the Rhodes part live, not Joe. Joe played either the organ or string part live.

Isn’t this similar to what has been said about Don F playing lead guitar on ICTYW? “He always played it live therefore he must have played it on the album version...”

Delilah
10-20-2017, 08:44 PM
I don't wish to argue with this, because I have heard it all before. Just the casual going on as if nothing happened stuff. It is TOO LATE now for this to happen.

Is there anyone else who supports the current situation who would like to see this album played live in its entirety? If so, why?

I don’t necessarily want to see this album played live but I don’t see why it’s too late. The 40th Anniversary isn’t here yet. It never occurred to me that they would consider doing so until I read it here, although I already thought about the possibility of a 40th Anniversary Edition of TLR.

Performing the whole of this album seems more do-able than HC. With the latter album the band is missing 3 members of the line-up. But with TLR, only 2 are missing, and one of them hasn’t played with the band in 15 years and has no vocal leads. Glenn had one vocal lead, Heartache Tonight, and the band as it is now is already performing it with Vince Gill singing lead. Glenn’s co-leads on KOH and TJ can be done by Deacon.

That being said, I cannot imagine such an enterprise being enthusiastically received. This album simply isn’t on par with HC in terms of popularity, cachet, recognition and admiration. Rarely have I read any kind of discussion of TLR without reference to the turmoil the band was experiencing while making it. It doesn’t have the most positive associations or reputation so I don’t think a concert based on it would be the best idea.

chaim
10-21-2017, 02:47 AM
Isn’t this similar to what has been said about Don F playing lead guitar on ICTYW? “He always played it live therefore he must have played it on the album version...”

I knew someone was going to bring that up. :grin: My "live" comment you quoted was a reply to to Freypower's comment where she said Joe played it live. He didn't, Glenn did. Let us not take my words out of the orininal context. Of course it doesn't prove anything that Glenn played it live. And of course it's possible that Joe played the Rhodes part, but as far as I know someone has just decided that and put it in Wikipedia.

Also, the difference is that (as far as I know) there's no source that says Joe played the Rhodes part on the album, but there are sources that say Glenn played the lead guitars on the album (album credits, Glenn himself, both Dons, and I think Timothy as well has mentioned it).

But everyone else seems to think (and perhaps are right) that Joe played the Rhodes part on the album, so I got my answer and there's no point in me arguing about it.

Freypower
10-21-2017, 06:13 PM
I knew someone was going to bring that up. :grin: My "live" comment you quoted was a reply to to Freypower's comment where she said Joe played it live. He didn't, Glenn did. Let us not take my words out of the orininal context. Of course it doesn't prove anything that Glenn played it live. And of course it's possible that Joe played the Rhodes part, but as far as I know someone has just decided that and put it in Wikipedia.

Also, the difference is that (as far as I know) there's no source that says Joe played the Rhodes part on the album, but there are sources that say Glenn played the lead guitars on the album (album credits, Glenn himself, both Dons, and I think Timothy as well has mentioned it).

But everyone else seems to think (and perhaps are right) that Joe played the Rhodes part on the album, so I got my answer and there's no point in me arguing about it.

I wasn't claiming which part Joe played live; just that he played keyboards as did Glenn. My knowledge of the parts is nil! Sorry if I gave you that impression.

sodascouts
10-21-2017, 08:17 PM
That being said, I cannot imagine such an enterprise being enthusiastically received.

Two words: Disco Strangler.

chaim
10-22-2017, 01:21 AM
I wasn't claiming which part Joe played live; just that he played keyboards as did Glenn. My knowledge of the parts is nil! Sorry if I gave you that impression.

That possibility did cross my mind. My mistake. Joe, of course, was a fine keyboard player even then. One only has to listen to NKIT or PMAIAR.

WalshFan88
10-22-2017, 09:33 PM
Put me in for a 40th Anniversary version of TLR.

I love The Long Run, filler and all, and I think it's cool.

I would also love to see actual high quality versions of the music videos for The Long Run, I Can't Tell You Why, and In The City. I personally looooove the title track music video. All that guitar gear on the floor in a studio room just jamming. I could see getting an HD version of that to put on my iPhone and iPad and Mac.

I really love the title track, but not everyone does. It's my dad's least favorite Eagles song, but funny enough his favorite Eagles song is In The City, off the same album. Me, I love the title track, I love singing along and I love the lyrical content and of course those dual slide guitars going on, at least in the video.

All that being said, I don't think it will happen. We didn't see anything for the first 4 records, and Hotel California was a HUGE record, so I can see why there was a 40th edition of that. I really really hope for it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Pippinwhite
10-22-2017, 09:50 PM
WF, I'm with you 110% for an HD re-issue of the videos! Of course, I'll readily admit I have ulterior motives. You like seeing the guitar equipment and all, and that's cool. Me? Welllll.... LOLOLOL.

WalshFan88
10-22-2017, 10:23 PM
WF, I'm with you 110% for an HD re-issue of the videos! Of course, I'll readily admit I have ulterior motives. You like seeing the guitar equipment and all, and that's cool. Me? Welllll.... LOLOLOL.

So your more into the drums and cymbals I take it? :lol:

Pippinwhite
10-22-2017, 11:32 PM
Yeah -- and guitarists with their newly short hair and unbuttoned shirts. But that's secondary, right? Of course it is. LOLOLOLOL. :D

WalshFan88
10-23-2017, 02:14 AM
Yeah -- and guitarists with their newly short hair and unbuttoned shirts. But that's secondary, right? Of course it is. LOLOLOLOL. :D

:lol:

New Kid In Town
10-23-2017, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Pippinwhite https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/images/vc/buttons//viewpost.gif (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=364817#post364817)
Originally Posted by WF
So your more into the drums and cymbals I take it? :lol:

Pippin & WF - LOL !:rofl:
I too would love to see HD releases of all the concerts they did in the 70's - including all the bootlegs. As I said earlier, I wish the third disc on the re-release of HC was the FULL Concert for the CC.
Austin - I know how much you love the LR, but that album has three of my four least favorite songs - lol ! That album has such unpleasant memories for them that I doubt that will happen.

Annoying Twit
10-23-2017, 12:13 PM
I must admit that TLR was a bit disappointing for me. I first got into Eagles in about '77, so TLR was the first Eagles album that I bought on release. I like it more now than I did then, but I was a bit disappointed after HC.

shunlvswx
09-25-2018, 09:33 PM
Happy Belated 39th Birthday to The Long Run album on yesterday.

sodascouts
09-25-2018, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the reminder, shun!

HAPPY 39th BIRTHDAY, LONG RUN!

New Kid In Town
09-26-2018, 10:35 AM
Wow - 39 years ! I remember going to the local record store to buy this album. I know this is Austin's favorite. Not mine.
Happy 39th Anniversary to The Long Run.

09-26-2018, 11:08 AM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO THE LONG RUN!!!

While not my favorite album by the band, I still love it. Even though we don't have the Border style available to help us celebrate the album this week, we can still carry on. If you want to posts your favorite to least favorite list, I'll calculate the results and post them here as we have done for other albums. Here is my list:

1. Heartache Tonight
2. The Long Run
3. I Can’t Tell You Why
4. The Sad Cafe
5. Those Shoes
6. King of Hollywood
7. In the City
8. The Greeks Don’t Want No Freaks
9. Teenage Jail
10. The Disco Strangler

Now, as usual, my list has been posted previously so I will not include it the latest results - I'll just add the new lists to the previous results.

If you need a refresher on how the lists are tabulated, you can read it here (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?1997-Celebration-of-quot-The-Long-Run-quot-!/page6&highlight=list). (See post #58 on the page.)

shunlvswx
09-26-2018, 11:35 AM
Here's my list.

1. The Long Run
2. Heartache Tonight
3. The Sad Cafe
4. I Can't Tell You Why
5. Those Shoes
6. King Of Hollywood
7. Teenage Jail
8. In the City - I'm still burnt out with this song and its been a year. lol
9. The Disco Strangler
10. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks

groupie2686
09-26-2018, 01:08 PM
This is tough, The Long Run is very hit or miss for me. Here's my list:

1. Heartache Tonight
2. The Long Run
3. The Sad Café
4. I Can't Tell You Why
5.In the City
6. Those Shoes
7. King of Hollywood
9. The Disco Strangler
10. Teenage Jail

scottside
09-26-2018, 01:38 PM
I really like everything on this album, even the unpopular songs. It's not my favorite album by any means, but I still listen to it regularly.
My list would look like this:

1)Heartache Tonight
2)Sad Cafe
3)King Of Hollywood
4)I Can't Tell You Why
5)The Long Run
6)In The City
7)Those Shoes
8)Teenage Jail
9)The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
10)Disco Strangler

thelastresort
09-26-2018, 02:25 PM
1. Sad Cafe
2. Heartache Tonight
3. I Can't Tell You Why
4. King of Hollywood
5. Those Shoes
6. Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
7. The Long Run
8. In the City
9. Teenage Jail
10. Disco Strangler

09-28-2018, 11:09 AM
Just a reminder that if you want to post your list of favorites for The Long Run, you have until Tuesday evening. I'll calculate the results then and see if the results change any.

cosec3791
09-28-2018, 01:03 PM
My list is as follows (based on studio versions):

1. Those Shoes
2. Teenage Jail
3. I Can't Tell You Why
4. In the City (Joe Walsh cover)
5. King of Hollywood
6. Heartache Tonight
7. The Sad Café
8. The Long Run
9. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
10. The Disco Strangler

Based on live performances:

1. Those Shoes
2. King of Hollywood
3. The Long Run
4. The Sad Café
5. In the City (Joe Walsh cover)
6. I Can't Tell You Why
7. Heartache Tonight
8. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks (only because there is a recording lol)
9. Teenage Jail (would be higher than The Long Run if there was a live recording)
10. The Disco Strangler

Now I really like this album. Third favorite to Hotel California and Desperado. But rather than the popular songs, the other underrated ones are my favorite. I feel this is great if you're into the rock section of the band. While Teenage Jail is not their greatest composition, the guitars are so fantastic, imo. The Sad Café and King of Hollywood are great songs as well. Those Shoes is a fantastic rocker. The Disco Strangler, for me is such a letdown. I don't like anything in it. I'm glad they never performed it tbh.

When it comes to this album's tour, the guys were in fine form mostly. But while the actual guitar sound was very robust from Walsh and Felder, the setlists were very disappointing. I feel the huge number of TLR songs resulted in some great older songs like Witchy Woman, Funk #49, New Kid in Town, etc. being phased out. Now there are epic exceptions like 1979 Capital Center and 1979 Omni, but mostly boring with the setlists. They also did a decent amount of interesting covers, ranging from slower ones like Seven Bridges Road, Keep On Tryin', as well as rockers like Carol. I REALLY wish I could listen to a LR tour version of it. Vitale's piano must be really good there. They also rarely changed up setlists, a complete contrast to the Hotel California tour.

The backing musicians significantly increased from this tour. But I like them. Better than anyone today. The thing is, they employed extremely competent people to back them. Whereas today's backing is still good, but not the level of TLR personnel. Phil Kenzie and David Sanborn were at the top of their game. Vitale's versatility was incredible and his piano just elevated songs. And I really like how the actual band was not drowned out by the backing musicians. They still formed bulk of the sound. I personally feel Frey sounded his best here. The Long Run with sax was fantastic.

I however am disappointed with the lack of jams they had. One fundamental problem of The Long Run songs were that they were very same when done live. They tended to not have any significant differences. Many other older "jam" songs were phased out. Maybe that's why Witchy Woman, etc. were gone. To ensure perfection. Turn to Stone was underwhelming. Sure, Vitale was great on flute, but I missed Felder and Walsh playing. Reminds me of Steuart actually. All the other staples were done very well, though I don't know for Wasted Time or New Kid in Town.

When it comes to bootlegs, my recommends for this tour are 1979 Budokan (Sept. 17th, the first concert of the tour), 1979 Osaka (great performances and quality), 1979 Chicago (decent quality and an interesting addition of The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks. Also Jackson Browne comes for Take It Easy), 1979 Las Vegas (great quality), 1980 The Forum (the only high quality bootleg; a great soundboard though partial), and 1980 Santa Monica (July 29th; a lot of rarities, including a 5 song quasi-acoustic set, plus fantastic quality for an audience recording. Hotel California and Life's Been Good were taken from this concert for Eagles Live). One more interesting bootleg is Soul Pole V4, one which I cannot find a full version of. Soda also has an interesting, but extremely rare version of 1980 The Forum, which has the full setlist.

sodascouts
09-29-2018, 10:31 AM
My list:

1. Heartache Tonight
2. Those Shoes
3. The Long Run
4. The Sad Café
5. I Can't Tell You Why
6. In the City
7. King of Hollywood
8. Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
9. Teenage Jail
10. Disco Strangler

I love the top three but the bottom two are the worst songs the Eagles ever did and "Greeks" isn't far behind.

New Kid In Town
09-29-2018, 12:01 PM
cosec - I remember when I saw the Eagles in July 1980 at Giants Stadium they seemed to jam forever. In fact, I remember being pissed off and thinking "all right all ready - go to the next song" - lol. They did a lot of jamming that concert. That was only a couple of weeks before "Long Night At the Wrong Beach" and everything fell apart.

I will have to think about how I want to rate the songs on the album. This is not my favorite album.

cosec3791
09-29-2018, 12:50 PM
cosec - I remember when I saw the Eagles in July 1980 at Giants Stadium they seemed to jam forever. In fact, I remember being pissed off and thinking "all right all ready - go to the next song" - lol. They did a lot of jamming that concert. That was only a couple of weeks before "Long Night At the Wrong Beach" and everything fell apart.

I will have to think about how I want to rate the songs on the album. This is not my favorite album.

No offense, but are you sure? Because the setlist of Giants is frankly boring. It is pretty much the same as Alpine Valley 1980. Heck, 1994 Giants Stadium's setlist is way better.

There were jams (only kinda). One notorious problem of this tour was that all the so called "jamming" songs sounded actually the same. They had systematic patterns of how it should progress. So idk if they are "long jams" as you said

There is no specific difference here unfortunately in the setlist. Can you tell which song in which they jammed for so long? I presume it is either: 1) Life's Been Good 2) Rocky Mountain Way 3) All Night Long.

New Kid In Town
09-29-2018, 01:08 PM
No offense, but are you sure? Because the setlist of Giants is frankly boring. It is pretty much the same as Alpine Valley 1980. Heck, 1994 Giants Stadium's setlist is way better.

There were jams (only kinda). One notorious problem of this tour was that all the so called "jamming" songs sounded actually the same. They had systematic patterns of how it should progress. So idk if they are "long jams" as you said

There is no specific difference here unfortunately in the setlist. Can you tell which song in which they jammed for so long? I presume it is either: 1) Life's Been Good 2) Rocky Mountain Way 3) All Night Long.

Of course I am sure ! No, I do not remember which songs - it was 38 years ago and I not not write down "Jammed on these songs". I know what jamming is and the difference between a short and long jam session in songs. Take my word - they jammed a lot that night

sodascouts
09-30-2018, 10:10 AM
Thanks for doing this tallying for us, Dreamer. It'll be interesting to see the results.

I think we all know what the bottom will look like, though. You have to wonder... when they were recording it... did they really think those were good?

On the more positive side, there are several strong songs here and I wonder if, had they taken more time, they could have come up with more of that caliber.