PDA

View Full Version : Today in Rock n' Roll History

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

MikeA
01-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Personally, I'd much rather that when I was a kid, I had picked up the nickname "Mick". No. Hun-uh! No Sir! They all called me "Mikey"! My Mother and Sisters still call me Mikey as do several of my closest cousins!

"Mike" is not so bad. ANYTHING but "Mikey"

Freypower
01-11-2011, 07:19 PM
My husband is 'Mike' to me & everyone he knows, but 'Michael' to his mother & my mother. He dislikes 'Mick'.

Prettymaid
01-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Personally, I'd much rather that when I was a kid, I had picked up the nickname "Mick". No. Hun-uh! No Sir! They all called me "Mikey"! My Mother and Sisters still call me Mikey as do several of my closest cousins!

"Mike" is not so bad. ANYTHING but "Mikey"

"Mikey will try it! He likes everything! HEY MIKEY!" :partytime:

Koala
01-12-2011, 03:06 AM
1964 The Beatles appeared on the ATV show Sunday Night At The London Palladium performing ‘I Wanna Hold Your Hand’, ‘This Boy’, ‘All My Loving’, ‘Money’ and ‘Twist And Shout’. The compare for the evening was Bruce Forsyth. When The Beatles appeared on this show on October 13, 1963, their fee had been £250, now, just three months later, their fee was £1,000.

1974 The Steve Miller Band were at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'The Joker', the group's first of three No.1's. It reached No.1 on the UK chart in 1990.

1977 The Police had their first rehearsal, held at drummer's Stewart Copeland's London flat, with Henri Padovani on guitar.

1980 'The Bee Gees Greatest Hits' album was at No.1 on the US charts.

1992 Bob Geldof was arrested after a disturbance on a Boeing 727, which had been grounded for 5 hours at Stansted Airport.

1998 The Eagles are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the thirteenth annual induction dinner. Jimmy Buffett is their presenter.

1998 Fleetwood Mac is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the thirteenth annual induction dinner. Sheryl Crow is their presenter.

2001 British Airways staff complained about Oasis singer Liam Gallagher after he had grabbed a stewardess' bottom, refused to stop smoking and thrown objects around the cabin during a flight from London to Rio De Janeiro.

2002 Aaliyah had the posthumous UK No.1 single with 'More Than A Woman'. Aaliyah was killed in Aug 2001 in a plane crash in the Bahamas aged 22. The Cessna plane crashed a few minutes after take off killing everyone on board. Aaliyah had been filming a video on the island for her latest release ‘Rock The Boat’.

2003 Singer-songwriter Maurice Gibb from the Bee Gee's died aged 53 in Miami Hospital, Florida following a heart attack during abdominal surgery. The Bee Gees released over 20 albums and had the 1979 world-wide No.1 album 'Spirits Having Flown', and 'How Deep Is Your Love, 'Stayin' Alive', and 'Night Fever' from the soundtrack 'Saturday Night Fever' were all US No.1 singles. Gibb was married to the Scottish singer Lulu from 1969 to 1973. In 2002, Maurice was made a Commander of the British Empire (CBE), along with his brothers.

MikeA
01-12-2011, 08:29 AM
My wife went into mourning when this happened (death of Maurice). The Bee Gee's just weren't my cup of tea though I did appreciate what they did. But I wish they had done it with Rock instead of freakin' DISCO!

It wasn't so much the music itself I didn't like. I just hated to watch all the clubs (or a lot of them anyway) switching from live bands to recorded music. I don't know if it was a cause and effect issue with it being cheaper for the clubs to spin discs or if it was because the public desired recorded music more than live performances. But whatever caused DISCO, I didn't like the result.

And I didn't like that white suit and disco move John Travolta utilized in "Saturday Night Live" either <LOL>

TimothyBFan
01-12-2011, 10:23 AM
WOW--so much discussion over Mick Jagger's given name! In p47's defense, she did say his family and close friends call him Mike. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't know any of his family or close friends so I don't know what they may call him. But does make sense that if his given name is Michael that at one point he would be called Mike and surely still is by some. Just saying. JMO

Michael is Jagger's real name. His family and close friends call him Mike, he doesn't like to be called Mick but fame has its price.

But what Wiki says according to Mike's post looks as if she was correct in her statement. Even tho like Mike said, Wiki isn't always correct. Let's face it, none of us really know. No need to go on and on about it I believe. JMO again!

From Wikipedia (which is known for misinformation)

From September 1950, Keith Richards and Jagger (known as "Mike" to his friends) were classmates at Wentworth Primary School in Dartford, Kent. In 1954, Jagger passed the eleven-plus, and went to Dartford Grammar School, where there is now The Mick Jagger Centre, as part of the school.

For the record, I have a friend who's 1 year old son is named Jagger after Mick.

And just throwing this out there about the "Mike" nickname, my brother who is named after my grandfather who's name was Martin Henry has always been called Mike by all of his friends and family, as was my grandfather. :headscratch: Don't know how that got started!

Annabel
01-12-2011, 10:43 AM
I have a BIL called Brian. Well his family call him that, but my family have always known him to be Nick. :crazy: Confuses my sister (his wife) if the 2 families are together. :laugh:

WalshFan88
01-12-2011, 11:23 AM
WOW--so much discussion over Mick Jagger's given name! In p47's defense, she did say his family and close friends call him Mike. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't know any of his family or close friends so I don't know what they may call him. But does make sense that if his given name is Michael that at one point he would be called Mike and surely still is by some. Just saying. JMO

But what Wiki says according to Mike's post looks as if she was correct in her statement. Even tho like Mike said, Wiki isn't always correct. Let's face it, none of us really know. No need to go on and on about it I believe. JMO again!

For the record, I have a friend who's 1 year old son is named Jagger after Mick.

And just throwing this out there about the "Mike" nickname, my brother who is named after my grandfather who's name was Martin Henry has always been called Mike by all of his friends and family, as was my grandfather. :headscratch: Don't know how that got started!

Just a debate..... No big deal... :eyebrow: I was just saying what I believe and from what I've read. That's all. I was just discussing. On that note, it's ended.

Brooke
01-12-2011, 11:38 AM
The Bee Gee's just weren't my cup of tea though I did appreciate what they did. But I wish they had done it with Rock instead of freakin' DISCO!

It wasn't so much the music itself I didn't like. I just hated to watch all the clubs (or a lot of them anyway) switching from live bands to recorded music. I don't know if it was a cause and effect issue with it being cheaper for the clubs to spin discs or if it was because the public desired recorded music more than live performances. But whatever caused DISCO, I didn't like the result.

And I didn't like that white suit and disco move John Travolta utilized in "Saturday Night Live" either <LOL>

I hear ya! I hate to use this smilie, but when you're talkin' disco....:puke:

WalshFan88
01-12-2011, 11:40 AM
I hear ya! I hate to use this smilie, but when you're talkin' disco....:puke:

Same here (about disco). :hilarious:

MikeA
01-12-2011, 01:11 PM
WAIT! That's how much attention I paid to DISCO...got the name of the movie wrong.

I said "Saturday Night Live"

Should have been "Saturday Night Fever" or something like that.

sodascouts
01-12-2011, 01:27 PM
I'm not into the whole falsetto thing as a rule and it was a bit before my time, but there are some good disco songs - and "Stayin' Alive" is one of them, IMHO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVcyZSG4ikE

Troubadour
01-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Yeah... I can deal with Disco when the mood is right!

GlennLover
01-12-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm a HUGE Bee Gees fan! I too went into mourning when Maurice died. :sad:

MikeA
01-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Disco just wasn't my thing. If the club didn't have live music, I just didn't go. I pretty much quit going to clubs all-together when Disco took over.

It wasn't the bands recording the music that I hated. It was the way it pushed live music out of the clubs. I preferred even the worst live bands in a club to all the flashing lights and polyester suits. Bee Gee's, Donna Summers.....sorry. Though I didn't hate them, they were just too much a reminder of the Disco Club scene for me to really get off on any of their music.

GlennLover
01-12-2011, 03:35 PM
It's unfortunate that the Bee Gees are so linked to disco. As they say, it was only 5 songs that they did in Saturday Night Fever. They had already created a lot of great music before SNF.

Freypower
01-12-2011, 06:33 PM
It's unfortunate that the Bee Gees are so linked to disco. As they say, it was only 5 songs that they did in Saturday Night Fever. They had already created a lot of great music before SNF.

And afterwards. You Win Again, anyone? You are so right. I was lucky enough to see them live twice and they put on a couple of the most awesome shows I ever saw. I mourned Maurice deeply as I always felt he was very underrated, giving that he didn't get to sing the number of leads his brothers did (a notable exception is House Of Shame from the One album; great track, also a song called Railroad which can be found on the Tales From The Brothers Gibb box set). Magnificent though Stayin' Alive & Jive' Talkin' are, they are just part of the picture. I cite Nights On Broadway, from Main Course, which Jive' Talkin' comes from. It is one of THE great songs.

Troubadour
01-12-2011, 06:41 PM
No word of a lie, Julie, I am listening to You Win Again right now on YouTube! This thread made me think of The Bee Gees and I thought I'd listen to a couple of my faves (You Win Again and To Love Somebody). Then I saw your post. :thumbsup:

Freypower
01-12-2011, 06:51 PM
You Win Again is one of the great songs too. I should do a Top 10:

1. Stayin' Alive
2. Nights On Broadway
3. Jive Talkin'
4. I Can't See Nobody
5. Holiday
6. To Love Somebody
7. You Win Again
8. Come On Over
9. E.S.P.
10 Lonely Days

(with an honourable mention for I Started A Joke, which is an extraordinary song).

I haven't even mentioned stuff like Mr Natural, Massachusetts, How Can You Mend A Broken Heart, Another Lonely Night In New York, Edge Of The Universe, How Deep Is Your Love, Run To Me, etc etc.

GlennLover
01-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Love all those songs, Julie. Railroad hasalways been favorite. I agree that Maurice didn't get the credit that he deserved. I saw them in concert one time. A real highlight for me. I met their father, as we were staying at the same hotel. Quite a thrill.

Freypower
01-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Love all those songs, Julie. Railroad hasalways been favorite. I agree that Maurice didn't get the credit that he deserved. I saw them in concert one time. A real highlight for me. I met their father, as we were staying at the same hotel. Quite a thrill.

Wow GL!

And you like Railroad too?!! I thought I was the only person in the world!!

Koala
01-13-2011, 02:49 AM
Railroad is one of my favorites too!It's really a great song!

Koala
01-13-2011, 02:55 AM
1962 Chubby Checker went back to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'The Twist'. The song first went to No.1 in Sept 1960 and became the only record in American chart history to top the charts on two separate occasions.

1967 Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr both went to the Bag O'Nails Club, London, England to see the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

1973 Aerosmith's self-titled debut is released. It contains the band staples "Dream On" and "Mama Kin."

1973 Eric Clapton made his stage comeback at the Rainbow Theatre, London, with Pete Townsend, Ronnie Wood, Stevie Winwood, Rebop, Jim Capaldi and support from The Average White Band. The night's two shows were recorded for the 'Rainbow Concert' album.

1979 the Y.M.C.A. sues the group The Village People over its song YMCA, but later drops the suit.

1990 New Kids On The Block had their second and last No.1 UK single with 'Hangin' Tough.' They had a further 7 Top 10 hits by the end of 1991. They broke up after that, but set the scene for numerous boy bands throughout the 90s.

2005 a report showed that more songs had been written about Elvis Presley than any other artist. It listed over 220 songs including: ‘Graceland’ by Paul Simon, ‘A Room At The Heartbreakhotel’ by U2, ‘Calling Elvis’, Dire Straits, ‘Happy Birthday Elvis’, Loudon Wainwright III, ‘There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis’, Kirsty MacColl, ‘I Saw Elvis in a UFO’, Ray Stevens. ‘Elvis Has Left the Building’ by Frank Zappa and 'My Dog Thinks I'm Elvis' by Ray Herndon.

Annabel
01-13-2011, 04:56 AM
And afterwards. You Win Again, anyone? You are so right. I was lucky enough to see them live twice and they put on a couple of the most awesome shows I ever saw. I mourned Maurice deeply as I always felt he was very underrated, giving that he didn't get to sing the number of leads his brothers did (a notable exception is House Of Shame from the One album; great track, also a song called Railroad which can be found on the Tales From The Brothers Gibb box set). Magnificent though Stayin' Alive & Jive' Talkin' are, they are just part of the picture. I cite Nights On Broadway, from Main Course, which Jive' Talkin' comes from. It is one of THE great songs.

I saw them live at Wembley Arena and they were amazing. :yay: Confession time. :laugh: I was in Andy Gibb's fan club. Mourned him after he died. :( He was cute. :smitten:

TimothyBFan
01-13-2011, 09:26 AM
You Win Again is one of the great songs too. I should do a Top 10:

1. Stayin' Alive
2. Nights On Broadway
3. Jive Talkin'
4. I Can't See Nobody
5. Holiday
6. To Love Somebody
7. You Win Again
8. Come On Over
9. E.S.P.
10 Lonely Days

(with an honourable mention for I Started A Joke, which is an extraordinary song).

I haven't even mentioned stuff like Mr Natural, Massachusetts, How Can You Mend A Broken Heart, Another Lonely Night In New York, Edge Of The Universe, How Deep Is Your Love, Run To Me, etc etc.

You've convinced me!! To be honest, I don't have any Bee Gees music downloaded and I had forgotten most of these songs above. I have now but that on my agenda for the day. Thanks for the reminder that they had some really good stuff.

Koala
01-14-2011, 03:06 AM
1960 Elvis Presley's' 'GI Blues' started a seven-week run at No.1 on the UK chart.

1963 Charlie Watts made his live debut with The Rolling Stones at The Flamingo Jazz Club, Soho, London.

1967 Cliff Richard told the music paper the NME that he was retiring from show business to teach religious education in schools.

1978 The Sex Pistols played their last live gig at Winterland, San Francisco, (they re-formed in 96).

2005 a $100,000 (£58,823) statue honouring the late punk guitarist Johnny Ramone was unveiled by his widow Linda at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. Johnny died from prostate cancer in September 2004 at the age of 55. Hundreds turned out for the ceremony, including Tommy Ramone – the only surviving band member. Dee Dee Ramone died of a drugs overdose in 2002 and Joey died in 2001 of lymphatic cancer.

AzEaglesFan
01-14-2011, 09:26 PM
There was an article in the Phx paper called "Walk among Stars in LA Cemetery. One of the pictures in the article is of the statue of Johnny Ramone. It looks in the picture like it would worth seeing if I was ever to get over that way. It stands in the Garden of Legends part of the cemetery. One thing the writer mentions is, I guess it is the custom there for people to kiss the headstone of DeeDee Ramone for some reason. He said it is covered with lipstick "smacks".

Koala
01-16-2011, 10:47 AM
1964 The Beatles played two shows at the Olympia Theatre, Paris, France, the first of an 18-night engagement. This first show was attended mostly by Paris' "top society" members (all dressed in formal evening attire). The French press had little good to say about The Beatles in the next day's papers, but The Beatles didn't care, because they'd just received news that their single ‘I Want to Hold Your Hand’ had hit No.1 in the US, selling 10,000 copies an hour in New York City alone.

1992 Eric Clapton performs an all-acoustic set for that is taped for the MTV series Unplugged. It airs on March 11, winning a record audience for the show, and is released on CD and videotape in August. The 70-minute live set, which includes an acoustic arrangement of "Layla," reaches #1. It goes on to sell three million copies and earns a Grammy for Album of the Year.

1996 Pink Floyd is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the eleventh annual induction dinner. Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins is their presenter.

1969 Fleetwood Mac, Creedence Clearwater Revival and Albert Collins all appeared at the Fillmore West, San Francisco, California.

1970 John Lennon's London Art Gallery exhibit of erotic lithographs, 'Bag One' was closed by Scotland Yard.

MikeA
01-16-2011, 11:21 AM
1992 Eric Clapton performs an all-acoustic set for that is taped for the MTV series Unplugged. It airs on March 11, winning a record audience for the show, and is released on CD and videotape in August. The 70-minute live set, which includes an acoustic arrangement of "Layla," reaches #1. It goes on to sell three million copies and earns a Grammy for Album of the Year.

This was the same MTV "Unplugged" show that Clapton also did "No More Tears In Heaven".

TimothyBFan
01-16-2011, 11:29 AM
1996 Pink Floyd is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the eleventh annual induction dinner. Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins is their presenter.

And if you've ever seen the display at the HOF, you'll know it is one of the best there. So very awesome to see The Wall!!

MikeA
01-16-2011, 02:24 PM
I've been to the RnRHOF but it's been several years...around 8 I guess. My, where does the time go. We went there one morning but had to be back in Columbus that same night for an Eagles concert.

As you know, you simply cannot blitz through that enormous collection of memoribilia in a couple of hours! And that's all we had! I so wanted to spend more time there!

Koala
01-17-2011, 02:35 AM
1956 Paul Young is born.

1964 The Rolling Stones released their first EP, which included, ‘You Better Move On’, ‘Poison Ivy’, ‘Bye Bye Johnny’ and ‘Money’. It peaked at No.15 on the UK chart.

1967 Genesis is formed by Charterhouse School mates Peter Gabriel, Mike Rutherford, Anthony Phillips and Tony Banks. :razz::partytime::inlove:

1969 The first Led Zeppelin album (self-titled) is released.

1976 Sweet hits #5 in the US with "Fox on the Run."

1998 Savage Garden started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Truly Madly Deeply'.

2003 a long-lost recording featuring John Lennon and Mick Jagger was set to spark a biding war at a London auction. The acetate record was recorded in 1974 with Jagger singing the blues song 'Too Many Cooks' and Lennon playing guitar. The track had never been release because the two artists were both signed to different record

TimothyBFan
01-17-2011, 10:31 AM
1976 Sweet hits #5 in the US with "Fox on the Run."

You all have to expect this by now!

You hear the opening of this song (you have to turn it waaaay up) and you just get goose bumps!!! LOVE IT!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MDCbIhTa_w

Prettymaid
01-17-2011, 10:56 AM
I love it too! I was a big fan of the synthesizer back in the day!

Annabel
01-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Gotta love Sweet. :yay: Even with the bad miming. :laugh:

TimothyBFan
01-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Melanie, are you a Sweet fan? They are one of my top 4 fave bands ever!!!!

Annabel
01-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Hmmmm, how to put this delicately. Not as such (now), but I really liked them when I was a teen. I think you could say I was a fan then. They were always good sing along songs. :singer: I could remember almost every word of that one you posted. :D
Wig wam bam was another goodie and Ballroom blitz and Teenage rampage and ...... you get the picture. :laugh: They quite often turn up on my local radio station when they do the golden hour (twice a day am and pm) and the year is in the 70's. Helps get the dusting done a bit quicker ;)

Koala
01-18-2011, 03:00 AM
1964 The Beatles made their US chart debut when 'I Want To Hold Your Hand' entered the chart at No.45 just ten days after its release, making it the fastest-breaking and the fastest selling single in Capitol Records history. It went on to spend seven weeks at the No.1 position.

1975 Barry Manilow scored his first US No.1 single when 'Mandy', (originally titled 'Brandy' when it was recorded in 1972 by Scott English), went to the top of the charts.

1975 Status Quo were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Down Down', the group's only UK No.1 from 52 hits between 1968 and 1996.

1986 'That's What Friends Are For' by Dionne Warwick began a four-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart, all company and artists profits were given to aids charities.

1989 At just 38 years old, Stevie Wonder became the youngest living person to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. At a ceremony held at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York, other inductees include The Rolling Stones, The Temptations, Otis Redding and Dion DiMucci.

sodascouts
01-18-2011, 12:29 PM
1975 Barry Manilow scored his first US No.1 single when 'Mandy', (originally titled 'Brandy' when it was recorded in 1972 by Scott English), went to the top of the charts.

Maybe they didn't want people to think it was an ode to alcoholism!

"Oh Brandy, well you kissed me and stopped me from shaking, and I need you today...oh, Brandy!"

Brooke
01-18-2011, 02:21 PM
:hilarious:

Prettymaid
01-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Lol!

Koala
01-19-2011, 03:01 AM
1967 The Monkees were at No.1 on the UK singles with 'I'm A Believer', the group's only UK No.1.

1980 Pink Floyd's 'The Wall', started a 15-week run at No.1 on the US album chart. The group's third US No.1, it went on to sell over 8 million copies.

1993 Fleetwood Mac re-formed to perform at Bill Clinton's inauguration. The band's "Don't Stop" was used as the theme for his campaign.

2001 It was reported that Paul McCartney was set to become the world’s first pop star billionaire. McCartney was said to be worth £725 million ($1,233) and was expected to become a billionaire after huge sales from The Beatles compilation hits album.

1994 Paul McCartney inducts John Lennon into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. "I love him to this day and I always did love him," says Paul McCartney

sodascouts
01-19-2011, 03:25 AM
1993 Fleetwood Mac re-formed to perform at Bill Clinton's inauguration. The band's "Don't Stop" was used as the theme for his campaign.

Thank you, President Clinton, for the best inauguration celebration in the history of the United States of America. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3JA1nWPFqM

Mrs Frey
01-19-2011, 06:32 AM
Maybe they didn't want people to think it was an ode to alcoholism!

"Oh Brandy, well you kissed me and stopped me from shaking, and I need you today...oh, Brandy!"

:lol:

Mrs Frey
01-19-2011, 06:32 AM
1994 Paul McCartney inducts John Lennon into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. "I love him to this day and I always did love him," says Paul McCartney

Awww... :thumbsup:

Koala
01-20-2011, 02:52 AM
1966 The Spencer Davis Group were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Keep On Running'.

1969 Bruce Springsteen had two of his poems published in the Ocean County College Literary Yearbook Seascapes. Springsteen was in his second semester at the Toms River, New Jersey College.

1972 on the first date of a UK tour, Pink Floyd premiered their new album Dark Side Of The Moon at The Dome, Brighton, England.

1982 during a Ozzy Osbourne concert in Des Moines, Iowa, a member of the audience threw an unconscious bat onto the stage. Thinking it was one of his rubber fakes, Ozzy picked it up and bit off its head. The singer was taken to hospital to be given a rabies injection.

1985 Foreigner had their only UK No.1 single with 'I Want To Know What Love Is'. London-born Mick Jones wrote the song and sang lead vocals with the British-American rock band.

1988 The Beatles were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. George Harrison, Ringo Starr, and Yoko, Sean, and Julian Lennon all attend. Paul McCartney does not attend, sending instead a letter stating that continuing business differences with the other ex-Beatles was the reason for his absence.

1990 Michael Bolton started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'How Am I Supposed To Live Without You', the singers first No.1 and the first No.1 single of the 90's in the US.

2002 George Harrison had the posthumous UK No.1 single with the re-release of the 1971 former No.1 'My Sweet Lord'. Harrison's single replaced Aaliyah's 'More Than A Woman', the only time in chart history that one deceased artist had taken over from another at No.1.

TimothyBFan
01-20-2011, 08:21 AM
1982 during a Ozzy Osbourne concert in Des Moines, Iowa, a member of the audience threw an unconscious bat onto the stage. Thinking it was one of his rubber fakes, Ozzy picked it up and bit off its head. The singer was taken to hospital to be given a rabies injection. for his absence.

How many times have we all heard this story yet every time I hear it, I still say ooooooh!!!:nausea::ack::yuck::puke:

Prettymaid
01-20-2011, 09:28 AM
How many times have we all heard this story yet every time I hear it, I still say ooooooh!!!:nausea::ack::yuck::puke:

Ewwwwww! Puey! Ick! Uhg!

sodascouts
01-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Seriously! And I don't buy that whole "he thought it was fake" excuse. He did the same to a bird that he knew very well was not fake. I'm glad he had to get a rabies shot - those things hurt! Serves him right.

Prettymaid
01-20-2011, 02:41 PM
I think Ozzie has paid dearly for anything he did in the past. The man is practically a walking vegetable! :headshake:

MikeA
01-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Seriously! And I don't but that whole "he thought it was fake" excuse. He did the same to a bird that he knew very well was not fake. I'm glad he had to get a rabies shot - those things hurt! Serves him right.

All THIRTEEN of them in a circle around your stomach unless things have changed. My wife and her whole family had to have them when she was a kid. It revealed that Verna is allergic to "horse serum"!

EagleLady
01-20-2011, 03:08 PM
I don't think We should rake Ozzy over the coals for an incident that happened a long time ago..

sodascouts
01-20-2011, 03:10 PM
We often comment on events that happened a long time ago in the Rock'n'Roll History thread. These comments are not always positive.

Choices have consequences, be they good or ill.

Brooke
01-20-2011, 04:38 PM
[B]1988 The Beatles were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. George Harrison, Ringo Starr, and Yoko, Sean, and Julian Lennon all attend. Paul McCartney does not attend, sending instead a letter stating that continuing business differences with the other ex-Beatles was the reason for his absence.

Awwww, poor Paul. That's too bad that he had to miss such an important event in his career. At least our guys all sucked it up and managed to attend together when they were inducted.

tequila girl
01-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Awwww, poor Paul. That's too bad that he had to miss such an important event in his career. At least our guys all sucked it up and managed to attend together when they were inducted.
I always said Paul McCartney was a pratt! :hilarious:

Freypower
01-20-2011, 05:04 PM
I always said Paul McCartney was a pratt! :hilarious:

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but I will only say that it was unfortunate that he didn't attend.

MikeA
01-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Beatles always seemed to have an axe to grind. Wasn't it John Lennon who either returned or refused some sort of "medal of honor" because his record was slipping in the charts? <LOL> Actually, I think that part was a joke, his real reason had something to do with a protest of some involvement of the military or something very serious of that nature.

sodascouts
01-20-2011, 05:11 PM
I like Paul well enough, but that seems so petty of him.

Freypower
01-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Beatles always seemed to have an axe to grind. Wasn't it John Lennon who either returned or refused some sort of "medal of honor" because his record was slipping in the charts? <LOL> Actually, I think that part was a joke, his real reason had something to do with a protest of some involvement of the military or something very serious of that nature.

He returned his MBE to the Queen in protest at the war in Biafra and the single Cold Turkey 'slipping down the charts'.

tequila girl
01-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Well, you're entitled to your opinion.
Thank You :)

MikeA
01-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Is pratt the other half of whitney? They built some killer airplane engines. Whitney as in Houston. Hmmm Texas as in Dallas. Dallas, Texas, that's what we pay every year before April 15 ($$s in Taxes). Taxes..okay, I'll shut up now.

Freypower
01-20-2011, 07:21 PM
'Prat' in England means someone who can appear a bit of an idiot or is somewhat annoying. My response to the above comments is that for a 'prat' the man has written some great songs. But there you are. :eyebrow:

EagleLady
01-20-2011, 07:22 PM
No offense but I don't see How Paul is a "pratt" for not showing up, Maybe he didn't want to cause a scene with those he still had issues with..

Eve
01-20-2011, 10:48 PM
'Prat' in England means someone who can appear a bit of an idiot or is somewhat annoying.

He did marry Heather Mills.

Koala
01-21-2011, 02:43 AM
1957 English singer Frankie Vaughan was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Garden Of Eden'. (Vaughan recorded a large number of songs that were covers of United States hit songs).

1963 The Beatles made their third appearance on the Radio Luxembourg program ‘The Friday Spectacular’. They chat with the host and play ‘Please Please Me’ and ‘Ask Me Why’.

1966 George Harrison married Patti Boyd at Leatherhead Register Office in Surrey with Paul McCartney as Best man. George had first met Patti on the set of The Beatles movie ‘A Hard Days Night.’

1968 Jimi Hendrix recorded his version of the Bob Dylan song ‘All Along the Watchtower’ at Olympic Studios in London. Rolling Stone Brain Jones and Dave Mason from Traffic both played on the session.

1978 the soundtrack album 'Saturday Night Fever' started a 24 week run at No.1 on the US album charts, it went on to sell over 30 million copies world wide, making it the best selling soundtrack album of all time.

1982 B.B. King donated his entire record collection of over 20,000 discs to Mississippi University's centre for the Study of Southern Culture.

1987 Bruce Springsteen inducted Roy Orbison into the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame.

1989 Phil Collins scored his seventh US No.1 single with 'Two Hearts'.

Freypower
01-21-2011, 05:33 PM
He did marry Heather Mills.

Yes. A mistake which he has admitted. All of us can occasionally be wrong. Not all the music he has made as a solo artist was all that great either but I prefer to judge him by the majority of his work & actions.

Koala
01-22-2011, 03:27 AM
1959 alone with an acoustic guitar and tape recorder in his New York City apartment Buddy Holly made his last recordings, including ‘Peggy Sue Got Married’, ‘Crying, Waiting, Hoping’, ‘That's What They Say’, ‘What To Do’, ‘Learning The Game’ and ‘That Makes It Tough’. The recordings would be overdubbed posthumously and were later released by Coral Records.

1977 Stevie Wonder went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Wish', his 5th US No.1, it made No.5 in the UK.

1977 Wings went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Wings Over America', Paul McCartney's sixth US No.1 after The Beatles.

1980 this week's US Top 5 singles: No.5, Rupert Holmes, 'Escape, (The Pina Colada Song)', No.4, Smokey Robinson, 'Crusin', No.3, Kenny Rogers, 'Coward Of The County', No.2, Captain and Tennille, 'Do That To Me One More Time', and No.1, Michael Jackson, 'Rock With You.'

1983 The new 24-hour music video network MTV started broadcasting to the West Coast of America after being picked up by Group W Cable, Los Angeles.

1994 Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart and Sting started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'All For Love', a No.2 hit in the UK. Taken from the film 'The Three Musketeers'.

Koala
01-23-2011, 03:35 AM
1956 Rock 'n' Roll fans in Cleveland aged under 18 were banned from dancing in public (unless accompanied by an adult), after Ohio Police introduced a law dating back to 1931.

1971 George Harrison became the first solo Beatle to have a No.1 when 'My Sweet Lord' went to the top of the UK single charts. The song from his 'All Things Must Pass' album stayed at No.1 for five weeks. The track returned to the top of the UK charts in 2002, following his death.

1977 Patti Smith broke her vertebra when she fell off the stage at a gig in Tampa, Florida.

1986 Ray Charles was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the first induction dinner, held in New York City.

1990 Allen Collins guitarist from Lynyrd Skynyrd died of pneumonia after being ill for several months. Collins who was one of the founding members also co-wrote most of the band's songs (including Free Bird), with late front man Ronnie Van Zant. He survived a plane crash in 1977 that killed two other band members. Collins was behind the wheel in a car accident in 1986 that killed his girlfriend and left him paralyzed from the waist down. He later pleaded no contest to vehicular manslaughter as well as driving under the influence of alcohol.

1993 Genesis went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Live-The Way We Walk Volume II'.

2005 one of the biggest charity concerts since Live Aid raised £1.25 million ($2 million) for victims of the tsunami disaster in Asia. The concert held at The Millennium Stadium, Cardiff featured Eric Clapton, Manic Street Preachers, Keane, Charlotte Church, Snow Patrol, Embrace, Feeder, Craig David and Liberty X, who appeared before 60,000 fans at the sold-out concert.

MikeA
01-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Ahhh, Ray Charles. Nuff said! <sigh> :inlove:

Koala
01-24-2011, 02:42 AM
1958 Elvis Presley was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Jailhouse Rock'. It became the first ever single to enter the chart at No.1 and was Presley's second UK No.1. It went on to sell over 4 million copies in the US.

1969 New Jersey state prosecutors issue a warning to US record dealers that they would be charged with distributing pornography if they were caught selling the John Lennon / Yoko Ono LP ‘Two Virgins’. The front cover of the album showed the pair frontally nude, while the back cover showed them from behind. The album still managed to reach No.124 on the US, but failed to chart at all in the UK, where only 5,000 copies were ever pressed.

1969 The Doors appeared at Madison Square Garden, New York City, They were paid over $50,000 for the gig making them one of the highest paid acts this year.

1980 A billboard was erected on Sunset Strip, West Hollywood, California to promote Pink Floyd’s new album ‘The Wall’. Every day workmen added another brick to the wall until it was finished.

1991 "MTV Unplugged," the network's highly acclaimed acoustic music series, is recorded in Europe for the first time. The Cure and Paul McCartney are the artists captured in performance in London.

MikeA
01-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Finally, one that I don't actually remember! 1958, Elvis and "Jailhouse Rock"! Goodness, I was only 9 or 10! But I remember the song! And the look. Heck, all the guys (the ones that didn't have "flat tops") were loading their hair with grease and combing it back and wearing black leather motorcycle jackets (aka James Dean). The dances in the High School gym (sock hops) were sure to feature multiple plays of "Jail House Rock!" And, I never learned to DANCE!

TimothyBFan
01-24-2011, 10:18 AM
1983 The new 24-hour music video network MTV started broadcasting to the West Coast of America after being picked up by Group W Cable, Los Angeles.

Or as I like to call that day, "the day I died and went to heaven"!

Of course I don't watch it anymore but what would life be like now for all of us music lovers had MTV never existed? "Nuf said!

sodascouts
01-24-2011, 10:32 PM
I wasn't allowed to watch MTV until I turned 13 (although I did it illicitly at friend's houses, lol). It was a day I eagerly awaited! I remember at the time they had a really cool game show called Remote Control that I thought was more interesting than the videos, lol. Adam Sandler got his start there, as did the less successful-but-still-doing-the-comedy-circuit Colin Quinn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6OLcvfVmws

Koala
01-25-2011, 02:23 AM
Oh yes, MTV was great, I have watched it a lot, today I don't watch it anymore.It is nothing more reasonable!

I especially liked whenever an entire weekend for an artist or band was dedicated.Then sometimes I have spent the whole weekend before the television!:headbang::shock:

Koala
01-25-2011, 02:41 AM
1960 The original cast recording of 'The Sound Of Music 'started a 16-week run at No.1 on the US album chart.

1967 The Beatles made a last-minute remix of ‘Penny Lane’ before the pressing of their next double A sided single ‘Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane’. Both songs were originally intended for forthcoming Beatles album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

1969 'Proud Mary', the Creedence Clearwater Revival LP, is released. "Proud Mary" eventually reaches #2 on the charts.

1975 The Carpenters went to No.1 on the US singles chart with their version of The Marveletts 1961 hit 'Please Mr. Postman'.

1983 The Allman Brothers bassist Lamar Williams died of lung cancer age 34. He joined the band in 1972 after the death of original bassist Berry Oakley.

1986 Norwegian group A-Ha were at No.1 in the UK with 'The Sun Always Shines On TV.' Becoming the first ever-Norwegian act to score a UK No.1.

1999 Paul McCartney launches a crusade against British radio and TV stations over the banning of “The Light Comes From Within,” the final song by his late wife Linda, because it contains language deemed offensive.

MikeA
01-25-2011, 09:16 AM
CCR....loved them...and still do for that matter.

Paul and his crusade/protest....I would think that by 1999, moors would have relaxed over what they were back in the '60s. I can never forget the Ed Sullivan "shew" and them only showing Elvis from the waist up because of his sexual undulating while singing <LOL>

Songwriting is deeply emotional. The writer is often barring their souls, their innermost thoughts in their music. They are not going to mince words in their effort to convey what they are feeling. And to have that banning of Linda's song and in effect slurring her character...that's just over the top. Especially in 1999.

Koala
01-26-2011, 02:31 AM
1961 Elvis Presley was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Are You Lonesome Tonight'. The singers sixth UK No.1. The single included a spoken passage loosely based on Shakespeare.

1963 The Beatles played two gigs, the first was at the El Rio Club/Dance Hall in Macclesfield, Cheshire, supported by Wayne Fontana and the Jets. Then The Beatles drove 20 miles to their next gig at King's Hall, Stoke-on-Trent in Staffordshire.

1971 Elvis Presley played the first night of a 31 date run at The Hilton Hotel in Las Vegas, Nirvana. Elvis played a 8.30pm and midnight shows on most days.

1973 Sweet were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Blockbuster'. The glam rockers only UK No.1 of 15 Top 40 hits.

1974 Ringo Starr went to No.1 on the US singles chart with his version of the Johnny Burnette 1960 hit 'Your Sixteen', a No.3 hit in the UK.

1977 former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Peter Green was committed to a mental hospital following an incident when he threatened his accountant Clifford Adams with an air rifle when he was trying to deliver a £30,000 ($51,000) royalty cheque to him.

1991 Queen had their second UK No.1 with 'Innuendo'. It was the third longest No.1 song of all time behind The Beatles 'Hey Jude' and Simple Minds 'Belfast Child'. The flamenco guitar solo on the track was performed by Yes guitarist Steve Howe.

TimothyBFan
01-26-2011, 08:58 AM
1973 Sweet were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Blockbuster'. The glam rockers only UK No.1 of 15 Top 40 hits.

Hard to believe this was the only #1 hit in the UK for Sweet. Love this TOTP version. Check out Steve's Nazi uniform. There is another version somewhere where he even had a Hitler mustache. They were all about controversy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgiDINcZ-q4

Koala
01-27-2011, 02:38 AM
1945 Nick Mason of Pink Floyd is born.

1961 Frank Sinatra played a benefit show at Carnegie Hall in New York City for Martin Luther King.

1968 "Daydream Believer" by the Monkees (written by Neil Diamond) peaks the UK charts at #5.

1968 The Bee Gees made their live debut in the US when they played at the Anaheim Centre, California.

1972 American gospel singer Mahalia Jackson died in Chicago of heart failure and diabetes complications aged 60. Known as the "Queen of Gospel Music" she recorded over 30 Albums.

1973 'Superstition' gave Stevie Wonder had his second No.1 single in the US, 10 years after his first No.1.

1985 I Want To Know What Love Is (Foreigner) was a hit.

Koala
01-28-2011, 10:23 AM
1965 The Who made their first appearance on UK TV show Ready Steady Go! To project the desired image, the hand-picked audience consisted only of teens dressed in the current Mod fashion.

1978 The Fleetwood Mac album 'Rumours' went to No.1 on the UK album chart, also a No.1 in the US. The album went on to sell over 15 million copies world- wide and spent over 440 weeks on the UK chart.

1994 Paul and Linda McCartney attended the premiere of Wayne’s World II in London. The couple then went on to Hard Rock Café, where the film star Mike Myers presented them with a cheque for LIPA (the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts) for £25,000 ($42,500) from the sale of Linda’s vegetarian burgers.

MikeA
01-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Isn't it amazing (and gratifying!) that the Beatles show up in this History thread more than any other group!

Just underscores HOW MUCH they meant to the entire Music Culture.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-28-2011, 10:33 PM
You know I hadn't really thought about that, Mike. But now that you mention it, I totally agree with you.

Koala
01-29-2011, 10:52 AM
1968 The Doors appeared at The Pussy Cat A Go Go, Las Vegas. 
After the show singer Jim Morrison taunts a security guard in the parking lot by pretending to smoke a joint, resulting in a fight. The police arrive who arrest Morrison and charge him with vagrancy, public drunkenness, and failure to possess sufficient identification.

1969 Fleetwood Mac had their only UK No.1 single with the instrumental 'Albatross.'

1969 Steve Winwood leaves Traffic to join Blind Faith.

1972 The triple album 'The Concert For Bangla Desh' went to No.1 on the UK album chart. Organised by George Harrison to raise funds for the people caught up in the war and famine from the area. The set featured; Bob Dylan, Ringo Starr, Billy Preston, Eric Clapton, Ravi Shankar and members from Badfinger.

1983 Australian group Men At Work went to No.1 on the British and American singles and album charts simultaneously with 'Down Under' and 'Business As Usual'. The last artist to achieve this was Rod Stewart in 1971.

1996 George Michael had the UK No.1 single with 'Jesus To A Child', the singers sixth UK No.1 as a solo artist and the first single from his come-back album 'Older', (after lengthy litigation with his record company).

2009 Former American Idol winner Kelly Clarkson made the largest ever leap to number one in US chart history, rising 96 places. Her single, My Life Would Suck Without You, rose from 97 to the top of the Billboard chart after selling 280,000 downloads in its first week of release. A clip from the video for the single was premiered in the commercial break of that week's episode of American Idol.

Koala
01-30-2011, 06:44 AM
1951 Born on this day, Phil Collins, drums, piano, vocals, Genesis, (1986 US No.1 'Invisible Touch', 1992 UK No.7 single 'I Can't Dance' plus six UK No.1 albums). Solo, (1988 UK & US No.1 single 'A Groovy Kind Of Love' plus six other US No.1's and four UK No.1 solo albums). Acting roles include Oliver, Buster and Miami Vice, also worked with Brand X. :birthday:

1959 Elvis Presley had his third UK No.1 single 'One Night / I Got Stung' a double A side, (originally written and recorded under the title ‘One Night of Sin)’ a revival of the Smiley Lewis's R&B hit. Presley was in the army by the time this song reached No.1.

1967 The Beatles went to Knole Park, Sevenoaks, Kent, for the first day of filming for the ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ promotional video. The film was shot in colour, for the benefit of the US market, (UK television was still broadcasting only in black and white).

1972 Paul McCartney wrote and recorded his protest song 'Give Ireland Back To The Irish' within 24 hours of Bloody Sunday, when 13 Catholics were killed by British paratroopers.

1975 The Bee Gees begin recording ‘Jive Talkin’, which became their second US chart topper and No.5 UK hit. Barry Gibb's inspiration for the song came when his wife commented on the sound their car made while crossing a bridge over Biscayne Bay into Miami. She noted, "It's our drive talkin'."

1988 INXS had their first US No.1 hit single with 'Need You Tonight'.

2010 Neil Young was named the Musicares person of the year for his "influential artistic accomplishments and philanthropic work". A string of artist including Elton John, Norah Jones, James Taylor, Elvis Costello, John Forgarty, Dave Matthews and Sheryl Crowe performed his songs as he was honoured by the US Recording Academy at the Los Angeles Convention Centre.

Koala
01-31-2011, 02:48 AM
1970 The Jackson Five went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Want You Back'. The song was originally written for Gladys Knight & The Pips and was the first of four No.1's for the group. It made No.2 in the UK.

1973 Bruce Springsteen performs in New York City for the first time.

1976 Abba knocked Queen from the UK No.1 position on the UK singles chart with 'Mamma Mia.' Queen's single 'Bohemian Rhapsody' had enjoyed a nine week run at the top of the charts, by coincidence, Queen's single contains the famous "mamma mia, mamma mia, mamma mia let me go" line.

1987 Paul Simon went back to No. 1 on the UK album chart with 'Graceland', the album stayed on the chart for 101 weeks.

1987 Genesis hits #4 in the US with "Land of Confusion".

1993 Michael Jackson's halftime performance at Superbowl XXVII draws the largest viewing audience in the history of American television.

2003 Robbie Williams topped a chart based on UK album sales from the past 5 years. The ex Take That singer had sold 9.7 million albums in Britain, an average of more than 5,000 every day. The Corrs were in second place with 5.8m sales, Westlife in third with 5.1, Madonna in fourth with 5m and The Beatles in fifth with 4.7m.

Freypower
01-31-2011, 02:59 AM
1976 Abba knocked Queen from the UK No.1 position on the UK singles chart with 'Mamma Mia.' Queen's single 'Bohemian Rhapsody' had enjoyed a nine week run at the top of the charts, by coincidence, Queen's single contains the famous "mamma mia, mamma mia, mamma mia let me go" line.

Bismillah!!!

Seriously... that never occurred to me. What a concept, as somebody once said. Both are great songs.

TimothyBFan
01-31-2011, 09:30 AM

:steviesmack: Seriously, I love Abba also. Wow that is really funny about the coincidence tho!! Very cool!

Koala
02-01-2011, 02:52 AM
1949 RCA Records issued the first ever 45rpm single, the invention of this size record made jukeboxes possible.

1963 17 year-old Neil Young performed his first professional date at a country club in Winnipeg.

1964 The Beatles started a seven week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Want To Hold Your Hand', the first US No.1 by a UK act since The Tornadoes 'Telstar' in 1962 and the first of three consecutive No.1's from the group.

1968 Fleetwood Mac's self-titled debut album is released in Britain. It is followed by 'Mr. Wonderful' in September.

1971 Founding member Jeremy Spencer leaves Fleetwood Mac and disappears with a Christian cult group while on tour in Los Angeles.

1988 The Cars announced they were breaking up after 12 years of working together.

1992 George Michael and Elton John went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me', also a No.1 in the UK. All proceeds from the single went to Aids charities.

2008 US space agency Nasa announced that ‘Across the Universe’ by the Beatles was to become the first song ever to be beamed directly into space. The track would be transmitted through the Deep Space Network - a network of antennas - on the 40th anniversary of the song being recorded, being aimed at the North Star, Polaris, 431 light-years from Earth. In a message to Nasa, Sir Paul McCartney said the project was an "amazing" feat. "Well done, Nasa," he added. "Send my love to the aliens. All the best, Paul."

MikeA
02-01-2011, 08:31 AM
2008 US space agency Nasa announced that ‘Across the Universe’ by the Beatles was to become the first song ever to be beamed directly into space. The track would be transmitted through the Deep Space Network - a network of antennas - on the 40th anniversary of the song being recorded, being aimed at the North Star, Polaris, 431 light-years from Earth. In a message to Nasa, Sir Paul McCartney said the project was an "amazing" feat. "Well done, Nasa," he added. "Send my love to the aliens. All the best, Paul."

What a hoot. Poor NASA. They have a terrible time getting funding because of more pressing domestic and economic issues. The debate between spending money on Space Exploration and Feeding the Homeless is a sure-fire loser though I think we are all losing because of the inevitable decisions. Most of the advances in commercial science that came about in the 60's 70's and 80's were due to breakthroughs with the micro miniature developments of communications tools. Heck, even "microwaves" were directly attributable to research done by NASA.

And the Homeless are still Homeless even though we are not sending Man into space. We should be on the Jovian satellites by now at least. We should have a research stations on Luna and we should men on location exploring Mars. Instead, we are still here on Earth killing each other.

TimothyBFan
02-01-2011, 08:31 AM
1988 The Cars announced they were breaking up after 12 years of working together.

Completely devastated me!! I can't tell you how thrilled I am they are making a new album now. Of course it's a bit bittersweet without Benjamin but everyone else is in on it and they've not brought anyone in to replace Benjamin, so I will take anything I can get from them. What they've released to the public (a couple of snippets of a couple of songs) sound like vintage Cars material!! Can't wait!!!:partytime:

GlennLover
02-01-2011, 11:08 AM
I immediately thought of you when I read that post, Willie. I thought that you would have been devastated at the time.

Koala
02-02-2011, 03:11 AM
1942 Graham Nash was born.

1963 Born on this day, Eva Cassidy, US singer. She is the only artist to score three posthumous UK No.1 albums: 2001’s ‘Songbird’; 2002’s ‘Imagine’ and 2003’s ‘American Tune’. In 2001 she also had a UK No.42 single with ‘Over The Rainbow’ and the 2007 UK No.1 single ‘What a Wonderful World’ with Katie Melua. Eva died of skin cancer on November 1st 1996, aged 33.

1973 Keith Emerson’s hands are injured during a performance by Emerson, Lake & Palmer in San Francisco. His piano, rigged to explode as a stunt, detonates prematurely

1977 Born on this day, Shakira, (Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll), singer, (2002 UK No.2 single ‘Whenever Wherever’, 2006 world-wide No.1 single ‘Hips Don’t Lie’). Highest selling Colombian artist of all time, having sold over forty million albums.

1979 Sid Vicious of the Sex Pistols dies of a heroin overdose less than four months after fatally stabbing his girlfriend, Nancy Spungen, at New York’s Chelsea Hotel.

1983 No. 1 : “Africa,” Toto. The group dominates the 1983 Grammy Awards, winning in six categories including Record of the Year (“Rosanna”) and Album of the Year (“Toto IV”).

1985 Foreigner hits #1 with "I Want to Know What Love Is".

1996 Bob Dylan plays a special corporate gig for 250 employees of Nomura Securities International, Inc. at Phoenix’s Biltmore Hotel.

2004 TV network CBS apologised for its broadcast of the American Super Bowl after Janet Jackson was left exposed when Justin Timberlake ripped her top. The pair had been performing a raunchy half-time duet when one of Jackson’s breast’s was exposed as Timberlake pulled at her top. CBS quickly cut away from the scene but was still flooded with calls from angry viewers about the half-time entertainment, produced by MTV. Timberlake insisted it had been an accident saying “I am sorry that anyone was offended by the wardrobe malfunction during the half-time performance of the Super Bowl.”

2004 Clive Davis, the record exec who has helped steer the careers of Whitney Houston, Santana and Alicia Keys, is made head of BMG Records. BMG’s current roster includes Dave Matthews and The Strokes.

Koala
02-03-2011, 02:51 AM
1959 22 year old Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens, aged 17, died in a crash shortly after take-off from Clear Lake, Iowa, the pilot of the single-engined Beechcraft Bonanza plane was also killed. Holly hired the plane after heating problems developed on his tourbus. All three were traveling to Fargo, North Dakota, for the next show on their Winter Dance Party Tour which Holly had set - covering 24 cities in three weeks, to make money after the break-up of his band, The Crickets, last year.

1973 Elton John started a three-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Crocodile Rock'. Elton's first of five US No.1 singles.

1990 for the first time ever, the UK Top 3 singles featured non-British and non-American acts. Ireland's Sinead O'Connor, Australia's Kylie Minogue and Belgium's Technotronic. Sinead O'Connor had her first No.1 single with Nothing Compares To U', a song written by Prince.

2010 AC/DC singer Brian Johnson, joined a growing group of critics of Bob Geldof and U2 singer Bono over their very public charity work, saying they should stop lecturing audiences about charity work and instead do their good deeds in private. Johnson said “When I was a working man I didn’t want to go to a concert for some bastard to talk down to me that I should be thinking of some kid in Africa. I’m sorry mate, do it yourself, spend some of your own money and get it done. It just makes me angry.”

MikeA
02-03-2011, 09:18 AM
2010 AC/DC singer Brian Johnson, joined a growing group of critics of Bob Geldof and U2 singer Bono over their very public charity work

This reminds me of Santana. Don't go to one of his concerts if you aren't prepared to be preached at! There is one segment in every concert we've been to of his where he spends close to 10 minutes preaching about the concept from his Love Child days. "Just Love Everybody". Carlos doesn't seem a strongly "religious" person as far as modern religion goes. But he has a belief or profession that is strongly Hippy-Feeling to me. God is inside you. He's inside everything, the birds, people, rocks...everywhere.

I remember sitting around with a group of close friends out by a lake watching the sun come up as we were discussing such "heavy" concepts. The fact that we were on one hell of a trip might have influenced us <LOL>

There isn't anything wrong with that other than it took him 10 minutes each concert to get the point across. Just like it took me 10 minutes to type this in <LOL>

Prettymaid
02-03-2011, 01:57 PM
God is inside you. He's inside everything, the birds, people, rocks...everywhere.

Sound like Carlos and I have something in common. :wink:

But as far as Brian Johnson's comment I agree, there is a fine line between making a statement on stage about kids in Africa and taking it too far. The audience may tolerate or even appreciate the first, but get bored or irate if it goes on too long.

sodascouts
02-03-2011, 02:49 PM
True. I think a key part of Johnson's issues is that he feels like the concert-goer is getting "talked down to." I guess his mentality is that it's a lot easier for a billionaire to be generous than it is for the working guy, and they shouldn't be made to feel like they're pieces of crap if they don't give some of their hard-earned money to kids in Africa. A lot of working people give money to charities but they're usually local ones, or their church, and perhaps they feel that Bono shouldn't assume they need to be preached at in order to give money to a cause.

That said, for me personally, I appreciate the fact that Bono is sincerely trying to raise even more money for causes he cares about. His heart is in the right place. He just needs to be careful not to harp upon it and come off as badgering the audience or, as shown above, it backfires. Perhaps outside of the concert setting is best.

Annabel
02-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Just a thought here, but when I went to Live Aid in 1985, my niece and I paid £5 for our tickets with a £20 donation. £5 for 10 hours of great acts. !!!!

With the silly costs of tickets today, I wonder how many people would mind if part of their ticket money went to a charity of the artists choice. ? I know we didn't pay a lot but in my mind I went to the concert for £5 (and made a donation). Think of the amounts that could be raised not forgetting good PR for the artist(s).

sodascouts
02-03-2011, 03:28 PM
With the silly costs of tickets today, I wonder how many people would mind if part of their ticket money went to a charity of the artists choice. ? I know we didn't pay a lot but in my mind I went to the concert for £5 (and made a donation). Think of the amounts that could be raised not forgetting good PR for the artist(s).

But then it comes out of other people's wallets in the sense that we're paying the same amount for our ticket, yet they're not receiving as much profit. Of course, as you said, that would definitely give the artist some good PR!

Annabel
02-03-2011, 04:07 PM
But then it comes out of other people's wallets in the sense that we're paying the same amount for our ticket, yet they're not receiving as much profit. Of course, as you said, that would definitely give the artist some good PR!

I did say it was just a thought.

Yes, we pay the same amount for the ticket, but you're going to pay that price anyway. So if a part of that cost goes to a charity, not the artists /promoters pocket (even $5 or £5 per person), the concert goer gets a warm fuzzy feeling for helping their band /artist's fave cause and the charity raises extra funds. The band /artist / promoters profits go down yes, but they do well enough it seems. If they want to help their charity enough they'd maybe consider it. Could stop some of the preaching too. :laugh:

I certainly didn't begrudge paying £25 for a '£5' ticket. (I know tickets cost a lot more now but at the time it was a lot. Honest ;)) Of course it also depends how charitable you are. Hmm maybe an opt out scheme, something like we have with the gift aid scheme here for charitable attractions like wild life parks. :shrug:

sodascouts
02-03-2011, 04:15 PM
I like the way you think, Annabel!

Annabel
02-03-2011, 04:16 PM
:thumbsup: thanks Soda. Now who do I pitch my idea to. :laugh:

Koala
02-04-2011, 02:47 AM
1967 The Monkees self-titled debut album started a seven-week run at No.1 on the UK chart.

1970,John Lennon and Yoko Ono donated their hair for an auction in aid of the Black Power movement.

1977 'Rumours', by Fleetwood Mac, destined to become the fifth best-selling album in music history, is released.

1978 Abba started a seven week run at No.1 on the UK chart with 'The Album' their third No.1 LP.

1983 Karen Carpenter died aged 32 of a cardiac arrest at her parent's house at her parents' home in Downey, California; the coroner's report gave the cause of death of imbalances associated with anorexia nervosa. The Carpenters 1970 album Close to You, featured two hit singles: ‘(They Long to Be) Close to You’ and ‘We've Only Just Begun.’ They peaked at No.1 and No.2, on the US chart. In 1975 - In Playboy's annual opinion poll; its readers voted Karen Carpenter the Best Rock Drummer of the year.

1984 Culture Club started a three-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with ‘Karma Chameleon’ the groups 5th US Top 10 hit, also a No.1 in the UK.

1984 Eurythmics scored their first UK No.1 album with their second release 'Touch', featuring the singles 'Here Comes The Rain Again', 'Who's That Girl' and 'Right By Your Side'.

2000 Bjorn Ulvaeus confirmed that the members of Abba had turned down a $1 billion (£0.58 billion) offer by American and British consortium to reform the group. “It is a hell of a lot of money to say no to, but we decided it wasn’t for us,” band member Benny Andersson told the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet.

2001 Jimmy Buffett is thrown out of a New York Knicks-Miami Heat after verbally abusing a referee.

WalshFan88
02-04-2011, 08:58 AM
1977 'Rumours', by Fleetwood Mac, destined to become the fifth best-selling album in music history, is released.

One of my top favorite Mac albums.... I really like the Christine McVie tracks on this one. "You Make Loving Fun" is a great song and is one of my favorite FM tunes.

Prettymaid
02-04-2011, 09:02 AM
1983 Karen Carpenter died aged 32 of a cardiac arrest at her parent's house at her parents' home in Downey, California; the coroner's report gave the cause of death of imbalances associated with anorexia nervosa. The Carpenters 1970 album Close to You, featured two hit singles: ‘(They Long to Be) Close to You’ and ‘We've Only Just Begun.’ They peaked at No.1 and No.2, on the US chart. In 1975 - In Playboy's annual opinion poll; its readers voted Karen Carpenter the Best Rock Drummer of the year.

What a natural talent she had! I was a fan and I remember being horrified at the news of her death. Not sure about the Best Rock Drummer award though...

Brooke
02-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Very sad. I loved her songs. I'm not sure about the drummer bit either. :eyebrow:

Koala
02-05-2011, 03:33 AM
1957 5,000 fans greeted Bill Haley when he arrived from New York on the liner Queen Elizabeth at Southampton, for his debut UK concert tour. Haley was the first American rock artist to tour the UK.

1967 The Beatles filmed part of the promo clip for 'Penny Lane' around the Royal Theatre, Stratford, London and walking up and down Angel Lane.
1983 Def Leppard's album 'Pyromania', started a 92 week run on the US charts, it never reached No.1 but sold over 6 million copies in the US alone.

1983 Toto went to No.1 on the US singles with 'Africa'; a No.3 hit in the UK.

1991 The first date in what becomes an annual stand of Eric Clapton concerts at London's Royal Albert Hall finds Clapton joined in different segments by a four-piece band, nine-piece band, blues band, and orchestra. The series lasts for 24 nights - hence the title of a live double-CD documentary, 24 Nights, released later in the year

Koala
02-06-2011, 04:48 AM
1958 George Harrison joined Liverpool group The Quarrymen. The group who were named after Lennon's school featured John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Len Garry, Eric Griffiths and John Lowe.

1960,27 year-old Jesse Belvin, who scored a 1956 hit with ‘Goodnight, My Love’, was killed in a car accident in Hope, Arkansas. His wife and the car's driver also died of their injuries. The three were trying to make a fast get-a-way from the first ever mixed race audience concert in the town of Little Rock, after threats had been made against Belvin's life.

1981 While touring South American soccer stadiums, Queen performs in Sao Paulo, Brazil, to the largest crowds of paying fans ever to witness a concert.

1982 Kraftwerk were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Model / Computer Love', the first German act to score a UK No.1 single. The single spent 21 weeks on the UK chart.

1986 Al Green's first album for A&M Records, 'Going Away,' marks his reunion with longtime producer Willie Mitchell.

1998 American singer and guitarist Carl Wilson from The Beach Boys died aged 51 after a long battle with lung cancer, (Wilson was diagnosed with brain and lung cancer in early 1997). He sang lead vocal on 'God Only Knows', 'Good Vibrations,' and 'I Can Hear Music.' Wilson sang backing vocals on Elton John's 'Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me.'

1998 Austrian singer Falco (Johann Holzel) was killed in a road accident after his car collided with a bus. He scored the 1986 UK & US No.1 single 'Rock Me Amadeus' making him the first-ever Austrian act to score a UK and US No.1 hit single.

2001 Guitarist Don Felder was fired from The Eagles. He would later launch a $50 million law suit against drummer Don Henley and guitarist Glen Frey, alleging wrongful termination and breach of implied-in-fact contract. Henley and Frey then countersued Felder for breach of contract, alleging that Felder had written and attempted to sell the rights to a "tell-all" book. Both parties settled out-of-court for an undisclosed amount.

MikeA
02-06-2011, 07:56 AM
[quote}1960,27 year-old Jesse Belvin, who scored a 1956 hit with ‘Goodnight, My Love’, was killed in a car accident in Hope, Arkansas. His wife and the car's driver also died of their injuries. The three were trying to make a fast get-a-way from the first ever mixed race audience concert in the town of Little Rock, after threats had been made against Belvin's life. [/quote]

This is horrible. But Arkansas was like that in the 50's (separate drinking fountains in the State Capitol, separate restrooms and separate restaurants for that matter, separate concerts and separate night clubs.). It didn't end with the riots over Segregation. It took, and I hate to say it, is taking a lot longer than that. Unfortunately, it is STILL there a LOT more if it going on than you'd expect or hope for.

Koala
02-07-2011, 02:53 AM
1959 the funeral of Buddy Holly took place at The Tabernacle Baptist Church in Lubbock.

1964 Pan Am flight 101 was greeted by over 5,000 Beatles fans as it arrived at New York's JFK airport, bringing The Beatles to the US for the first time and causing riotous scenes as they touched down.

1967 Robin, Maurice and Barry Gibb of The Bee Gees returned to the UK after living in Australia for nine years.

1969 John and Yoko were featured on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine, on sale for 35 Cents, (2/6). John was named as Rolling Stone’s ‘Man Of The Year’.

1970 Led Zeppelin scored their first UK No.1 album with 'Led Zeppelin II'. Featuring the US single 'Whole Lotta Love', it went on to stay on the chart for 138 weeks selling over 6 million copies in the US.

1981 John Lennon was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Woman', an ode to his wife Yoko Ono. It was Lennon's third No.1 in seven weeks after his death on December 8, 1980.

TimothyBFan
02-07-2011, 10:36 AM
1982 Kraftwerk were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Model / Computer Love', the first German act to score a UK No.1 single. The single spent 21 weeks on the UK chart.

Just bought a copy of this album at the last record show. A bit strange. Hubby had talked about it years ago but I had never really listened to any of it. Now I know why. :lol:

1998 Austrian singer Falco (Johann Holzel) was killed in a road accident after his car collided with a bus. He scored the 1986 UK & US No.1 single 'Rock Me Amadeus' making him the first-ever Austrian act to score a UK and US No.1 hit single.

Love Rock Me Amadeus!!! Very sad.

Prettymaid
02-07-2011, 08:24 PM
1964 Pan Am flight 101 was greeted by over 5,000 Beatles fans as it arrived at New York's JFK airport, bringing The Beatles to the US for the first time and causing riotous scenes as they touched down.

And I would have been there but nobody would pick up a six year old hitchhiker. :shrug:

Koala
02-08-2011, 02:57 AM
1964 On their first full day in New York, The Beatles (minus George who had a sore throat), went for a photo-opportunity walk around Central Park. Extra police were called in to keep fans away. Later in the day The Ronettes interviewed the band for radio.

1975 Bob Dylan went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Blood On The Tracks' his second US No.1 album.

1983 winners at the second annual Brit Awards held in London included Paul McCartney who won Best British Male Solo Artist, Kim Wilde won Best British Female Solo Artist, Dire Straits won British Group, British Breakthrough Act went to Yazoo, International Act was Kid Creole & The Coconuts, Best Selling Single Dexy's Midnight Runners "Come On Eileen" and the Life Achievement Award went to Pete Townshend.

1994 Oasis were forced to cancel their first foreign tour after they were deported from Holland. The band were involved in a drunken brawl on a cross-channel ferry resulting in members of the band being arrested and locked in the brig on the ferry.

1998 winners at this years Brit Awards included Finley Quaye who won Best British Male Solo Artist, Best British Female Solo Artist went to Shola Ama, The Verve won British Group and Best British Album for ‘Urban Hymns’, British Dance Act went to The Prodigy, British Breakthrough Act was Stereophonics, Best Selling British Album Act was The Spice Girls, International Male, Jon Bon Jovi, International Female, Bjork, International Group, U2 and Outstanding Contribution went to Fleetwood Mac. During the show Chumbawamba singer Danbert Nobacon threw a plastic bucket full of cold water over UK Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott.

Koala
02-09-2011, 03:01 AM
1964 The Beatles made their US live debut on CBS-TV's 'The Ed Sullivan Show'; they performed five songs including their current No.1 'I Want To Hold Your Hand' watched by an estimated 73 million people. The show had received over 50,000 applications for the 728 seats in the TV studio.

1967 the film for the latest Beatles single 'Penny Lane' and 'Strawberry Fields Forever' was shown on BBC-TV's Top Of The Pops. It was the first Beatles single not to make No.1 in the UK since 1963, held off the top by Engelbert Humperdinck's 'Release Me.'

1981 American singer Bill Haley was found dead, fully clothed on his bed at his home in Harlington, Texas from a heart attack, Haley had sold over 60 million records during his career. Scored the 1955 UK & US No.1 single 'Rock Around The Clock', and became known as the first Rock 'n' Roll star. Haley was blinded in his left eye as a child due to a botched operation and later adopted his distinctive spit-curl hairstyle to distract attention from his blind eye.

1982 George Harrison presented UNICEF with a cheque for $9 million (£5.3 million), ten years after the fundraising concert for Bangladesh.

2002 Billboard published the Top 5 selling albums in the world from 2001: Britney Spears’ 'Britney', $7m (£4.1m); Shaggy’s 'Hotshot', $7.2m £4.24m); Destiny’s Child’s 'Survivor', $7.8m (£4.6m); Linkin Park’s 'Hybrid', $8.5m (£5m) and Dido’s 'No Angel', $8.6m (£5.06m) sales.

2009 Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant took home five prizes for his collaboration with bluegrass singer Alison Krauss at this years Grammy Awards held in Los Angeles. The duo won album of the year for Raising Sand and record of the year for ‘Please Read The Letter.’ Coldplay, (who won song of the year for ‘Viva La Vida’) Adele, Duffy, Radiohead and Peter Gabriel were among other UK acts to be honoured. John Mayer won Best solo rock vocal performance for ‘Gravity’, Kings of Leon won Best rock performance by a group with ‘Sex on Fire’, Best rock song went to Bruce Springsteen for ‘Girls In Their Summer Clothes’ and Lil' Wayne won Best rap solo performance and Best rap album for Tha Carter III.

2009 Ringo Starr became the 2,401st person to be added to the Hollywood Walk Of Fame during a ceremony that marked the 50th anniversary of the attraction. The Beatles as a group were given a star in 1998.

WalshFan88
02-09-2011, 05:47 AM
1964 The Beatles made their US live debut on CBS-TV's 'The Ed Sullivan Show'; they performed five songs including their current No.1 'I Want To Hold Your Hand' watched by an estimated 73 million people. The show had received over 50,000 applications for the 728 seats in the TV studio.

This show is what inspired MANY to become musicians and to join/form bands. Almost everytime I read or hear an interview, they mention the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show.

Prettymaid
02-09-2011, 08:05 AM
I remember my whole family watching that show! I would always sit crosslegged on the floor just a few feet from the TV (a year later at the age of seven I would be fitted with my first pair of eye glasses.) :wink: I remember my older brother saying, "Look at Cathy's head." and hearing laughter from my family behind me. I turned around to see what they were laughing about and saw my brother mimicking me bouncing my head back and forth to the music. Hey, I had the beat! :hilarious:

MikeA
02-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Them Be-At-Els was a purty good band. They put on a really good shoeeeee.

I didn't get to watch that show that night. It was Sunday and that meant Training Union and Church (and choir practice). Our choir director was a HUGE Beatles fan. All he could talk about was wishing that he had some way to watch that show. No such thing as home video equipment of any kind back then.

I was so pissed off! I was 15 at the time but that didn't make any difference. It was Church Night and those boys brought De Debils music to our country and shouldn't have been allowed over here! It was one of the events that convinced me that I had to get out on my own or else go completely crazy. I guess a lot of 15 year olds feel that way.

Brooke
02-09-2011, 10:27 AM
:lol: Love your stories, Pm and Mike! Too funny!

I remember watching the Beatles on ES, too. Loved it and I was only 8!

02-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Yep - I watched it. And Brooke - since we are twins at birth, I must have been 8 as well! :lie:

sodascouts
02-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks for sharing your stories, guys. Sounds like it was a really epic event (even if you missed it).

2009 Ringo Starr became the 2,401st person to be added to the Hollywood Walk Of Fame during a ceremony that marked the 50th anniversary of the attraction.

And one of the guys there - our very own Joe Walsh!

Koala
02-10-2011, 03:09 AM
1958 Frank Sinatra started a five week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Come Fly With Me.'

1962 Henry Mancini went to No.1 on the US album chart with the soundtrack to 'Breakfast At Tiffany's.'

1967 The Beatles recorded the orchestral build-up for the middle and end of ‘A Day in the Life’. At the Beatles' request, the orchestra members arrived in full evening dress along with novelty items. One violinist wore a red clown's nose, while another a fake gorilla's paw on his bow hand. Others were wearing funny hats and other assorted novelties. The recording was filmed for a possible ‘Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band’ television special which was ultimately abandoned. Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Mike Nesmith from The Monkees and Donovan also attended the session.

1968 The Four Tops 'Greatest Hits' was at No.1 on the UK album chart, the first No.1 album for the Tamla Motown label.

1973 Elton John had his first UK No.1 album when 'Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player' started a six-week run at the top of the charts.

1976 Dream On," from Aerosmith's debut album, is re-released as a single and reaches #6.

1993 on a special edition of the Oprah Winfrey show, Michael Jackson gave his first TV interview for 14 years, live from his Neverland Valley Ranch.

1997 Brian Connolly singer with the 1970's Glam rock group Sweet died of kidney and liver failure aged 47. Connolly replaced Ian Gillan (later of Deep Purple and Black Sabbath) in Wainwright's Gentlemen who became Sweetshop and then shortened to Sweet.

2005 Prince topped Rolling Stone magazine’s annual list of the year’s biggest money earners after his 2004 tour grossed over $90 million (£53 million). Madonna came in second place after earning $54.9 million (£34.3 million) and Metallica came third with $43 million (£25.3 million).

Koala
02-11-2011, 02:46 AM
1956 Julia, John Lennon's mother, bought him his first guitar through a mail order ad. His incessant playing prompts John's Aunt Mimi to say, "The guitar's all very well as a hobby, John, but you'll never make a living out of it." John forms his first group, the Quarrymen.

1964 The Beatles made their live concert debut in the US at the Washington Coliseum. Over 350 police surrounded the stage to keep the 8,000 plus screaming fans in control. One police officer who found the noise so loud, stuck a bullet in each ear as ear plugs. The Beatles had to stop three times and turn Ringo's drum kit around and re-position their microphones so that they faced a different part of the audience. The set list: ‘Roll Over Beethoven’, ‘From Me to You’, ‘I Saw Her Standing There’, ‘This Boy’, ‘All My Loving’, ‘I Wanna Be Your Man’, ‘Please Please Me’, ‘Till There Was You’, ‘She Loves You’, ‘I Want to Hold Your Hand’, ‘Twist and Shout’, and ‘Long Tall Sally’.

1969 The Monkees set a new record when their second album, 'More Of The Monkees' jumped from No.122 to the top of the US chart. The album then stayed in pole position for eighteen weeks.

1972 America hits #1 with "A Horse With No Name".

1975 Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers form from the seeds of the disbanded Mudcrutch. The lineup: Tom Petty (vocals, guitar), Mike Campbell (guitar), Benmont Tench (keyboards), Ron Blair (bass), Stan Lynch (drums).
1984 Genesis hits #6 in the US with "That's All!"

1998 The hand-written lyrics to ‘Candle in the Wind’ by Bernie Taupin were auctioned off at Christie's in LA for £278,512.

Koala
02-12-2011, 04:06 AM
1956 Dean Martin was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Memories Are Made Of This'. The American actor, comedian, singer and TV hosts biggest hit. Also covered by The Everly Brothers, Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra and The Driffters.

1966 Pink Floyd performs at a series of Sunday afternoon multimedia happenings at London's Marquee Club, dubbed the "Spontaneous Underground."

1970 John Lennon performed 'Instant Karma', on BBC TV's 'Top Of The Pops', becoming the first Beatle to have appeared on the show since 1966.

1977 Barbra Streisand started a six-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'A Star Is Born.'

1995 Van Halen, scored their first US No.1 album with ‘Balance.’

Koala
02-13-2011, 06:28 AM
1974 Genesis hits #70 in the US with 'Selling England By the Pound'.

1961 Frank Sinatra launched his own record label. Reprise Records, later the home of Neil Young, Jimi Hendrix, Joni Mitchell, Randy Newman and The Beach Boys.

1967 The Beatles released the double A sided single 'Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane' on Capitol Records in the US. The single spent 10 weeks on the chart peaking at No.1.

1973 After becoming ill during a concert in Las Vegas Elvis Presley presented Doctor Sidney Bowers with a Lincoln Continental to show his appreciation for all his work.

1976 Genesis released their first album since the departure of Peter Gabriel, 'A Trick Of The Tail' featuring eight new tracks with drummer Phill Collins taking on the role of lead vocalist.

1977 Julie Covington was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Don't Cry For Me Argentina', taken from the Tim Rice & Andrew Lloyd-Webber musical Evita. Covington had been in the 1977 UK TV series based on an all female group called Rock Follies. Madonna had a hit with her version of the song in 1996.

1989 This year’s Brit Awards was hosted by Sam Fox and Mick Fleetwood in which just about everything went wrong - lines were fluffed and bands mis-cued onto the stage. Winners included Phil Collins who won British Male Solo Artist, British Female Solo Artist was Annie Lennox, Erasure won Best British Group, Best British Album went to Fairground Attraction for ‘First Of A Million Kisses’, British Breakthrough Act was Bros, Michael Jackson won International Male, International Female went to Tracey Chapman and U2 won Best International Group. This was the last year the show was broadcast live.

1996 Take That split up, the biggest band of the 90s announced their demise in front of the world's press at The Hilton in Manchester, the band had achieved 7 No.1 singles & 2 No.1 albums. They released one more single and a Greatest Hits album.

2004 Led Zeppelin were awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award at this year’s Grammys. Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham all attended. Robert Plant did not, since he was working on a new album and tour.

MikeA
02-13-2011, 09:26 AM
The Biz was sure different "back then" wasn't it? I'm talking about the releasing of music. First comes the 45's with a lot of to-do made over the "sides" content. Usually there was one really good song on side "A" and a mediocre one on Side "B".

Now THAT might make for a good research project....which Single releases produced a bigger hit from the "B" side than the "A" side? Or did any?

Then came the album which would seem like a 'Greatest Hits" by todays standard (at least with the Beatles since just about everything they released went to #1). And the release of a Greatest Hits was something like a "best of the Best" and usually signaled the demise of another Rock Group.

That's probably not at all true, but that is the way it seemed to me.

02-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Now THAT might make for a good research project....which Single releases produced a bigger hit from the "B" side than the "A" side? Or did any?

Hmmm - that is an interesting thought, Mike. Wonder if there were any? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but that ain't saying much. :grin:

MikeA
02-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Just did a quick Google and found in Wikipedia

On a few occasions, the B-side became the more popular song. This was usually because a DJ preferred the B-side to its A-side and played it instead. Examples include "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor (originally the B-side of "Substitute"), "I'll Be Around" by The Spinners (originally the B-side of "How Could I Let You Get Away"), "Maggie May" by Rod Stewart (originally the B-side of "Reason To Believe"), "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" by Beyoncé (originally the B-side of "If I Were a Boy"), and Reddish -Diva Version- by D'espairsRay (B-side of their single "Gemini"). More rarely, both sides of the single would become hits, such as Queen's "We Are the Champions" and "We Will Rock You".

The entire entry in Wikipedia is an interesting read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-side_and_B-side

Koala
02-14-2011, 02:26 AM
1959 Cliff Richard was voted the best new singer in the annual NME awards.

1961 The Beatles perform at the Cassanova Club, Liverpool, and at Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool where they play a special Valentine's Day show. Paul McCartney sang Elvis Presley's "Wooden Heart", wearing wooden heart pinned to his coat, covered with satin and embroidered with the names "John", "Paul", "George", and "Pete". The heart was raffled off, and the winner also won a kiss from Paul.

1972 John Lennon and Yoko Ono started a week long run as co-hosts on 'Mike Douglas' US TV show.

1978 Dire Straits began recording their first album at Basing Street Studios, London. The whole project cost £12,500 ($21,250) to produce.

1986 Frank Zappa appeared on an episode of the television series Miami Vice. Zappa portrayed a crime boss named 'Mr. Frankie.'

1987 Bon Jovi started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Livin' On A Prayer', the group's second US No.1, a No.4 hit in the UK.

1990 The Rolling Stones played the first of ten nights at the Korakuen
Dome, Tokyo, Japan. The shows were seen by over 500,000 fans, making the band $20 million (£11.76 million).

1998 Celine Dion's 'My Heart Will Go On' set a new recorded for the most radio plays in the US with 116 million plays in one week.

2002 Mick Tucker, drummer with glam rock band Sweet died of leukaemia. Had the 1973 UK No.1 single 'Blockbuster', plus 14 other UK Top 40 singles.

TimothyBFan
02-14-2011, 09:26 AM
2002 Mick Tucker, drummer with glam rock band Sweet died of leukaemia. Had the 1973 UK No.1 single 'Blockbuster', plus 14 other UK Top 40 singles.

Very, very sad. His and Brian's dates of death are only 5 days apart. He was nicknamed the man with the golden arm for a reason. What a talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGwd3o0rc6k

Freypower
02-14-2011, 09:11 PM
1978 Dire Straits began recording their first album at Basing Street Studios, London. The whole project cost £12,500 ($21,250) to produce.

1986 Frank Zappa appeared on an episode of the television series Miami Vice. Zappa portrayed a crime boss named 'Mr. Frankie.'

1. What a waste of money!!! :wink: :thumbsup:

2. I honestly didn't know FZ was in Miami Vice. I will now tell hubby that he & Glenn had something in common.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPVjXgw4sUU

Koala
02-15-2011, 02:41 AM
1964 The Beatles scored their first US No.1 album with 'Meet The Beatles!' The album stayed at No.1 for eleven weeks.

1965 American singer and pianist Nat King Cole died of lung cancer. First hit was the 1943 'Straighten Up and Fly Right', had the 1955 US No.2 single 'A Blossom Fell' and 1957 UK No.2 single 'When I Fall In Love' plus over 20 other US & UK Top 40 singles. Father of singer Natalie Cole. In 1956 he became the first black American to host a television variety show.

1969 The hotly anticipated, self-titled debut album by Led Zeppelin enters the album charts, ultimately reaching #10.

1972 With the expiration of John Lennon's U.S. non-immigrant visa, deportation proceedings begin. Lennon will wage a four-year battle with the federal government to remain in the U.S.

1975 Linda Ronstadt went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'You're No Good', the singers only solo chart topper out of 12 other top 40 hits. Also today Ronstadt went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Heart Like A Wheel.'

MikeA
02-15-2011, 02:49 AM
1975 Linda Ronstadt went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'You're No Good', the singers only solo chart topper out of 12 other top 40 hits. Also today Ronstadt went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Heart Like A Wheel.'

YAHOO!

Prettymaid
02-15-2011, 11:58 AM
I adore Heart Like A Wheel. I think I'll play it today!

02-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Just did a quick Google and found in Wikipedia

On a few occasions, the B-side became the more popular song. This was usually because a DJ preferred the B-side to its A-side and played it instead. Examples include "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor (originally the B-side of "Substitute"), "I'll Be Around" by The Spinners (originally the B-side of "How Could I Let You Get Away"), "Maggie May" by Rod Stewart (originally the B-side of "Reason To Believe"), "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" by Beyoncé (originally the B-side of "If I Were a Boy"), and Reddish -Diva Version- by D'espairsRay (B-side of their single "Gemini"). More rarely, both sides of the single would become hits, such as Queen's "We Are the Champions" and "We Will Rock You".

The entire entry in Wikipedia is an interesting read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-side_and_B-side

Thanks for checking that out, Mike. I find trivia like this very interesting. And WOW! - Who woulda thunk that "I Will Survive" and "Maggie May" were "B" side singles!

And I guess it is rather rare that both sides of a single become a hit. Of course, I imagine The Beatles would be the exception to this. If I remember correctly, a lot of their single releases became two-sided hits.

Koala
02-16-2011, 02:51 AM
1959 Shirley Bassey was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'As I Love You', the Welsh singers first of two UK No.1's.

1964 The Beatles made their second live appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, exactly one week after the first. Before an audience of 3,500 at the Deauville Hotel in Miami Beach, Florida, The Beatles performed ‘She Loves You’, ‘This Boy’, ‘All My Loving’, ‘I Saw Her Standing There’, ‘From Me to You’, and ‘I Want to Hold Your Hand’.

1972 Led Zeppelin made their Australian live debut when they kicked off a six date tour at the Subiaco Oval, Perth.

1974 During a tour of America the members of Emerson, Lake & Palmer were arrested in Salt Lake City after swimming naked in the hotel pool. They were each fined $75 (£44).

1985 Bruce Springsteen went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Born In The USA', his first UK No.1 album.

1991 The Simpsons were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Do The Bartman'. The song was written by Michael Jackson and Bryan Lorenand, The Simpsons became the first cartoon characters to make No.1 since the Archies hit 'Sugar Sugar' in 1969.

Koala
02-17-2011, 02:31 AM
1969 Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash recorded 'Girl From The North Country' together in Nashville at CBS Studios. The track appeared on Dylan's 'Nashville Skyline' album.

1972 Los Angeles radio station KDAY played two new Rolling Stones tracks non-stop for a day after obtaining stolen tapes from a producer's home.

1972 Pink Floyd premiere a new piece of music entitled "Eclipse" at London's Rainbow Theater. It will evolve into the album 'Dark Side of the Moon.

1980 US country singer Kenny Rogers was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Coward Of The County', his second and last UK chart topper.

2000 John Lennon’s Steinway piano, on which he composed ‘Imagine’, went on display at the Beatles Story Museum in Liverpool, England. The piano was set to be auctioned on the Internet later in the year and was expected to fetch more than £1 million ($1.7 million).

2005 A 1965 Fender Stratocaster guitar belonging to Jimi Hendrix sold for £100,000 at an auction in London. Other Hendrix items sold included a poem written two weeks after his appearance at the Monterey Festival which went for £10,000 and the first Jimi Hendrix Experience's single ‘Hey Joe’, signed by all the band sold for £2,000.

2005 Scottish rockers Franz Ferdinand made music history after taking two top prizes at the NME Awards. The band, who won best album and best single, became the first act ever to win the Mercury Music Prize, Brit Awards and NME awards in the same year.

MikeA
02-17-2011, 07:44 AM
2005 A 1965 Fender Stratocaster guitar belonging to Jimi Hendrix sold for £100,000 at an auction in London. Other Hendrix items sold included a poem written two weeks after his appearance at the Monterey Festival which went for £10,000 and the first Jimi Hendrix Experience's single ‘Hey Joe’, signed by all the band sold for £2,000.

A '63 Strat belonging to Hendrix....that HAS to be the Holy Grail!

WalshFan88
02-17-2011, 12:49 PM
A '63 Strat belonging to Hendrix....that HAS to be the Holy Grail!

I saw that too Mike!

Koala
02-18-2011, 02:48 AM
1959 Ray Charles recorded ‘What'd I Say,’ in New York City. The song had evolved in concert as a call-and-response between Charles and his female back-up singers. It became Charles' biggest hit to date, reaching No.1 on the R&B and No.6 on the pop charts.

1966 Beach Boy Brian Wilson recorded the future classic song 'Good Vibrations', which went on to become the band's third U.S. number-one hit. As a child, his mother told him that dogs could pick up "vibrations" from people, so that the dog would bark at "bad vibrations" Wilson turned this into the general idea for the song.

1973 Killing Me Softly With His Song (Roberta Flack) was a hit.

1978 Foreigner hits #20 with "Long, Long Way From Home".

1996 'Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac: Live at the BBC', a double-CD set of archival recordings from 1967-1970, is released.

2000 an American court ordered the release of FBI files relating to John Lennon’s interests and activities including his support for the Irish Republican cause and the Workers Revolutionary Party. The British Government told the US that it wanted the files to remain secret. MI5 also had files on Lennon, which they had passed on the FBI during the 70's.

2003 Madonna defends her controversial “American Life” video on her
Web site, posting, “I am not Anti-Bush. I am not pro-Iraq. I am pro Peace. I have … created a video which expresses my feelings about our culture and values and the illusions of what many people believe is the American dream – the perfect life. … I am grateful to have the freedom to express these feelings and that’s how I honor my country.”

2006 ‘The Greatest Songs of the Fifties’ by Barry Manilow was at No.1 on the US album chart.

Koala
02-19-2011, 04:42 AM
1956 Elvis Presley performed three shows at Fort Homer Hesterly Armory in Tampa, Florida, (2 matinee and 1 evening). A full scale riot broke out after the show when Elvis announced to the 14,000 strong crowd, “Girls, I'll see you backstage." Fans chased Elvis into the dressing room tearing off his clothes and shoes.

1966 Janis Joplin makes her debut as the lead singer of Big Brother and the Holding Company.

1977 Manfred Mann's Earth Band scored a No.1 single in the US with their version of the Bruce Springsteen song 'Blinded By The Light.'

1980 Bon Scott, leader of the Australian band AC/DC, dies in .

1983 Kajagoogoo had their only UK No.1 single with 'Too Shy'. Also a hit in other European countries, 5 weeks at No.1 in Germany, a Top 5 hit in Switzerland, Sweden, Austria, and Netherlands. The group had four other Top 40 hits UK hits.

1984 Jump (Van Halen) was a hit.

1994 Mariah Carey had her first UK No.1 with her version of the Peter Ham Tom Evans song 'Without You'. Nilsson also took the song to No.1 in 1972. (Carey's version was released on January 24, 1994, just over a week after Nilsson had died following a heart attack). Both Ham and Evans committed suicide, (Ham in 1975 and Evans in 1983) after an ongoing battle to receive royalties from the song.

1995 Roxette became the first Western group to perform in Beijing since George Michael in 1984 when they played a concert celebrating the Chinese New Year.

WalshFan88
02-19-2011, 08:08 AM
1980 Bon Scott, leader of the Australian band AC/DC, dies in .

I really liked Bon Scott's singing. Even though Back in Black is my favorite AC/DC album and that I really like Brian Johnson's vocals, I do miss hearing Bon Scott. He had a great voice and I love the Highway to Hell album. BIB and HIH are my favorite AC/DC albums. They are a great rock n' roll band, I saw them in Chicago in '09, one year after I saw the Eagles in the same venue. It was a great show!

Koala
02-20-2011, 03:56 AM
1960 Jimi Hendrix made his stage debut when he played a show at a High School in Seattle.

1971 The soundtrack to 'Jesus Christ Superstar' went to No.1 on the US album chart. The album peaked at No.6 on the UK chart.

1977 New Kid in Town (The Eagles) was a hit.

1978 Abba were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Take A Chance On Me', the group's seventh No.1 was also a top 3 hit in over 10 other countries.

1993 More than 34 years after his death, Buddy Holly and The Crickets had the #1 album on the UK chart with the “Words of Love” compilation album. Holly reached the Top 10 of the UK album chart for five straight decades.

2008 A 1976 Rolling Stones album bought for £2 at a car boot sale sold for £4,000 at an auction. The ‘Black and Blue’ LP was signed by John Lennon, Yoko Ono, Paul and Linda McCartney and George Harrison as well as members of the Rolling Stones. The seller obtained the album after haggling the cost down from £3.

Koala
02-21-2011, 02:31 AM
1961,The Beatles played three gigs in one day. The first was a lunchtime show at the Cavern Club, then at night they appeared at the Cassanova Club, Liverpool and at Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool.

1970 Simon and Garfunkel went to No.1 on the UK chart with 'Bridge Over Troubled Water'. The album went on to stay on the chart for over 300 weeks, returning to the top of the charts on eight separate occasions and spending a total of 41 weeks at No.1.

1970 Having been in release for only 15 weeks, Led Zeppelin II approaches sales of 2 million.

1981 Phil Collins entered the UK album chart at No.1 with 'Face Value.'

1983 Thriller' tops the album charts for the first of 37 weeks.

1990 Milli Vanilli are awarded the Best New Artist Grammy. It would take until the following November for producer Frank Farian to confess that the duo of Fab Morvan and Rob Pilatus never actually sang a single note on their recordings, causing the award to be withdrawn.

1990 Paul McCartney is given the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Grammy Awards ceremony in Los Angeles.

1995 For the first time in seven years, Bruce Springsteen performs live with the E Street Band in a New York City nightclub for a video for Jonathan Demme’s film “Murder Incorporated.”

1998 Robbie Williams hits #4 in the UK with the ballad "Angels."

2008 A US music aficionado sold his collection of more than three million vinyl albums, singles and compact discs to an eBay buyer from Ireland for just over $3 million. An eBay spokeswoman said the sale is one of the highest ever for the online auction site.

Koala
02-22-2011, 02:31 AM
1962 Elvis Presley was at No.1 o the UK singles chart with 'Rock-A- Hula Baby / Cant Help Falling In Love.' The tracks were from his latest film 'Blue Hawaii' and became the singers tenth UK No.1

1968 Genesis released their first single 'The Silent Sun.' Not a chart hit.

1969 Oz magazine reviews Led Zeppelin's first album. Writer Felix Dennis says the debut "defies immediate classification or description, simply because it's so obviously a turning point in rock music that only time proves capable of shifting it into eventual perspective."

1986 MTV celebrates the 20th anniversary of the Monkees by airing “Pleasant Valley Sunday,” a 22-hour broadcast of Monkees TV episodes.

1992, Shakespear's Sister started an eight-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Stay'. The duo was made up of ex Bananarama member Siobhan Fahey and singer Marcella Detroit (who co-wrote 'Lay Down Sally' with Eric Clapton). One of the longest running UK No.1's in chart history and the longest by an all-female act.

2001 The Sunday Mirror lists the Beatles as the biggest money-earners of 2000.
Although they no longer exist, the band pulled in a tidy $50 million.

2002,Two middle-aged women spent the first of eight nights sleeping in a car outside Bournemouth International Centre to make sure they were first in the queue for when tickets to Cliff Richard's forthcoming concert went on sale.

2003 Sir Paul McCartney played a private show in San Diego for the 50th birthday of Wendy Whitworth, the executive producer of CNN’s Larry King Show. Sir Paul donated his $1 million (£0.6 million) fee to the Adopt-a-Minefield charity.

TimothyBFan
02-22-2011, 09:15 AM
2002,Two middle-aged women spent the first of eight nights sleeping in a car outside Bournemouth International Centre to make sure they were first in the queue for when tickets to Cliff Richard's forthcoming concert went on sale.

:hilarious: Whenever I see stuff like this about Cliff Richard, it just cracks me up!! I just never realized how HUGE he was/is outside of the US.

tequila girl
02-22-2011, 09:24 AM
:hilarious: Whenever I see stuff like this about Cliff Richard, it just cracks me up!! I just never realized how HUGE he was/is outside of the US.
I have trouble believing it myself Willie :huh:

MikeA
02-22-2011, 09:26 AM
1969 Oz magazine reviews Led Zeppelin's first album. Writer Felix Dennis says the debut "defies immediate classification or description, simply because it's so obviously a turning point in rock music that only time proves capable of shifting it into eventual perspective."

That was "news" to me. Not the thought. But rather the foresight that "OZ" magazine had to review it as a groundbreaking first effort by a group that turned out to be one of the most significant in the industry as time would later reveal.

I still love their music and it dominates the recordings I actually listen too. Equaled only by Eagles, Joe Walsh and Heart <LOL>.

MikeA
02-22-2011, 09:28 AM
I have trouble believing it myself Willie :huh:

I wonder "why" that is? Do you suppose tHEy just didn't market the US?

TimothyBFan
02-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Could be Mike. Reminds me of my beloved Sweet. Same there.

Koala
02-23-2011, 02:18 AM
1946 Rusty Young is born.

1971 George Harrison was fined and banned from driving for a year.

1974 Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells" (also know as the theme to the movie 'The Exorcist') debuts on the singles chart.

1978 Winners at this years Grammy Awards included Fleetwood Mac, Album of the year for 'Rumours', The Eagles, Record of the year for 'Hotel California' and Best pop vocal performance, The Bee Gees for 'How Deep Is Your Love.'

1978 Kenny Rogers’ “Lucille” wins a Grammy for Best Male Country Vocal Performance.

1979 Dire Straits played their first American show when they appeared in Boston.

1998 All members of Oasis were banned for life from flying Cathay Pacific Airlines after "abusive and disgusting behaviour" during a flight from Hong Kong to Perth, Australia.

1998 Luciano Pavarotti is honored as the 1998 MusiCares Person of the Year at a special tribute dinner and concert held at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel’s Grand Ballroom in New York.

2000 Israeli singer Ofra Haza dies in Tel Aviv. She is 41. Haza had been hospitalized and on a respirator for a week, apparently due to pneumonia.

2000 A cover of the Led Zeppelin classic “What Is And What Should Never Be” by Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes becomes available for free download exclusively from e-tailer Musicmaker.com.

2002 The Bee Gees made their last ever concert appearance when they appeared at the Love and Hope Ball, Miami Beach, Florida.

2003 Norah Jones wins eight Grammys, including Album of the Year for Come Away With Me. At the show, Bruce Springsteen, “Little Steven” Van Zandt, Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters, Tony Canal of No Doubt, and Elvis Costello perform The Clash’s “London Calling” as a tribute to the late Joe Strummer.

EaglesFanatic
02-24-2011, 12:23 AM
2000 Israeli singer Ofra Haza dies in Tel Aviv. She is 41. Haza had been hospitalized and on a respirator for a week, apparently due to pneumonia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWq6zZulYrw

Koala
02-24-2011, 07:47 AM
1957 Buddy Holly recorded a new version of 'That'll Be The Day', the title being taken from a phrase used by John Wayne in the film 'The Searchers.'

1969 The Jimi Hendrix Experience played their last ever-British performance when they appeared at the Royal Albert Hall.

1973 The Byrds made their final live appearance when they played at The Capitol Theatre in Passaic, New Jersey. (The then-current incarnation of the Byrds, which included Roger McGuinn, Clarence White, John York and Gene Parsons).

1976, The Eagles 'Greatest Hits' became the first album to be certified platinum by the R.I.A.A. New certification's represented sales of 1 million copies for albums and two million for singles.

2000 Carlos Santana won eight awards at this year Grammy Awards. Before the 'Supernatural' album, the guitarist had not had a Top 10 album since 1981. Sting won two awards, one for best pop album and another for best male pop vocalist. Sir Elton John won the legend award and Phil Collins the best soundtrack award for 'Tarzan'.

02-24-2011, 01:07 PM
1976, The Eagles 'Greatest Hits' became the first album to be certified platinum by the R.I.A.A. New certification's represented sales of 1 million copies for albums and two million for singles.

And along their way to superstardom, they never looked backed. Even during their 14-year vacation, their music wouldn't die. And ever since the resumption, they seem to just keep getting bigger and better! Something tells me our great, great grandchildren may be listening to some of these songs. :thumbsup:

MikeA
02-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Something tells me our great, great grandchildren may be listening to some of these songs. :thumbsup:

AND with Don, Glenn, Joe and Timothy playing them live on the 2040 Anniversary Tour!

Koala
02-25-2011, 03:45 AM
1943 George Harrison was born.

1971 A Led Zeppelin concert from the Paris Theatre in France was broadcast live on UK television.

1984 Van Halen his their first #1 with "Jump".

1992 John Lennon is given the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 34th Annual Grammy Awards.

2004 The Rolling Stones topped a US Rich List of music’s biggest money makers. The list was based on earnings during 2003 when the band played their “Forty Licks” tour, which made them $212 million, (£124.7m) in ticket, CD, DVD and merchandise sales. The three million fans who went to the shows spent an average of $11 (£6.47) each on merchandise. Bruce Springsteen was listed in second place and The Eagles in third.

Koala
02-26-2011, 03:22 AM
1928 Antoine "Fats" Domino Jr. is born in New Orleans. One of nine children, he learns the fundamentals of music from his brother-in-law, Harrison Verret.

1932 Johnny Cash is born.

1955 Billboard reported that for the first time since their introduction in 1949, 45rpm singles were outselling the old standard 78's.

1965 Guitarist Jimmy Page released a solo single called 'She Just Satisfies' in the UK. Page played all the instruments on it except for the drums, and produced the track, as well as singing lead vocals.

1966 Nancy Sinatra went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'These Boots Are Made For Walking', also a UK No.1.

1977 The Eagles went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'New Kid On Town', the group's third US No.1, a No.20 hit n the UK.

1990 Sinead O'Connor was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Nothing Compares 2 U.' Her version of the Prince penned song was also a No.1 hit in 18 other countries.

sodascouts
02-26-2011, 01:51 PM

Just 8 days? OK, Borderers, who wants to try to beat this to get Eagles tickets? lol

(Sadly, in the U.S., since Ticketmaster doesn't sell the best seats right off, it would be a big waste of over a week!)

:hilarious: Whenever I see stuff like this about Cliff Richard, it just cracks me up!! I just never realized how HUGE he was/is outside of the US.It surprises me too - because while the name sounds familiar to me and I'm sure I've heard some of his songs, I couldn't name any for you.

Freypower
02-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Soda, the biggest hit he had in the States was probably Devil Woman. Others are Carrie, Wired For Sound & We Don't Talk Any More. I doubt anyone in the States would have heard his earlier songs like Living Doll, Summer Holiday, Congratulations & Power To All Our Friends. That last one is my favourite as I watched it compete in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1972 (it didn't win) but I find Cliff a bit too bland.

Koala
02-27-2011, 03:11 AM
1967 Pink Floyd recorded their first single 'Arnold Layne', with producer Joe Boyd at Sound Techniques studio in Chelsea, England.

1971 Five months after her death, Janis Joplin started a nine-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Pearl.'

1984 MTV world premieres the Jackson's Pepsi commercial and presents an interview with director Bob Giraldi.

1988 George Michael scored his sixth No.1 US single with 'Father Figure' a No. 11 hit in the UK.

1993 After 14 weeks at No.1 on the US singles chart, 'I Will Always Love You', gave Whitney Houston the longest ever US chart topper, taking over from Boyz II Men's hit 'End Of The Road', and became the second biggest selling single in the US.

2004 A worker in a supermarket in Aspen, Colorado alerted the police-after seeing a man shopping with his face covered by a mask. Police arrived on the scene and identified the man as Michael Jackson who was in town on holiday with his children.

MikeA
02-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Ahh Janis. FORTY years! And I still love to listen to your soul wrenching vocals!

Koala
02-28-2011, 02:47 AM
1942 Brian Jones is born , Rolling Stones.

1970 In an interview with the New Musical Express, Fleetwood Mac's Peter Green talked about his plans to give all his money away. The following year Green confronted his accountant with a gun after he sent him an unwanted royalty check. The guitarist went to jail briefly before being transferred to an asylum and was committed to a mental hospital in 1973. He re- launched his career in the 90's.

1970 Led Zeppelin played a gig in Copenhagen as The Nobs after Eva Von Zeppelin a relative of the airship designer threatened to sue if the family name was used in Denmark.

1970 Simon and Garfunkel started a six week run at the top of the US singles chart with 'Bridge Over Troubled Water', also No.1 in the UK in March the same year.

1977 Ray Charles was attacked by a member of his audience who tried to strangle him with a rope.

1994 Eric Clapton played his 100th performance at London's Royal Albert Hall, in aid of the 'Children In Crisis', charity.

Koala
03-01-2011, 02:33 AM
1958 Buddy Holly played the first of 25 dates on his only UK tour at the Trocadero, Elephant & Castle, London. Also on the bill was Gary Miller, The Tanner Sisters, Des O'Conner, The Montanas, Ronnie Keene & His Orchestra.

1966 Gene Clark of The Byrds announced he was leaving the group due to his fear of flying.

1968 Elton John's first single 'I've Been Loving You To Long' was released on the Phillips label, it didn't chart.

1970 Mott The Hoople supported by Genesis appeared at The Northcote Arms, Middlesex, England.

1974 Queen kick off their first headlining tour of England in Blackpool.

1975 The Eagles went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Best Of My Love', the first of five US No.1's for the band. The highest chart position in the UK for the group was No.8 with the 1977 single 'Hotel California.'

1982 Jimmy Page releases his first solo album, the soundtrack to Death Wish II.

1982 Pete Townshend, Stevie Nicks, Mick Jagger, Adam Ant, Pat Benatar, the Police and David Bowie kick off the "I Want My MTV" advertising campaign.

1986 Mr Mister started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Kyrie', the group's second US No.1, a No.11 hit in the UK. Also the group's album 'Welcome To The Real World' went to No.1 on the US album chart.

1994 Nirvana played their final ever concert when they appeared at The Terminal Einz in Munich, Germany. The 3,000 capacity venue was a small Airport Hanger. The power went off during the show so they played an impromptu acoustic set including a version of The Cars 'My Best Friend's Girl.'

1995 Bruce Springsteen wins four Grammys for “Streets of Philadelphia” from the Tom Hanks film “Philadelphia.” Sheryl Crow wins three awards, including Record of the Year. Tony Bennet wins Album of the Year honors for “MTV Unplugged” and Best Traditional Pop Vocal Performance.

2004 Michael Jackson unveiled a new website. The site featured a celebration of his music career plus news on his current criminal trial, including short biographies of his attorneys and a calendar listing upcoming court dates.

TimothyBFan
03-01-2011, 09:50 AM
AND with Don, Glenn, Joe and Timothy playing them live on the 2040 Anniversary Tour!

:hilarious:

1966 Nancy Sinatra went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'These Boots Are Made For Walking', also a UK No.1.

In July of 1967, for my 4th birthday, I received a close and play record player with this single and Downtown by Petula Clark. Still have the close and play and both singles in my collection.

Prettymaid
03-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Awww Willie, that's so sweet!

1982 Pete Townshend, Stevie Nicks, Mick Jagger, Adam Ant, Pat Benatar, the Police and David Bowie kick off the "I Want My MTV" advertising campaign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnz8D5aTLMA

Freypower
03-01-2011, 06:06 PM
To which there can be only one response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTP2RUD_cL0

To the person who complains that Sting isn't in the video I would just say 'what a shame'. :weep: ;-)

Koala
03-02-2011, 02:31 AM
1943 Lou Reed is born.

1948 Rory Gallagher is born.

1950 Karen Carpenter is born.

1962 Jon Bon Jovi is born.

1967 Ray Charles' hit single "Crying Time" wins two Grammys: for Best R&B Recording and Best R&B Solo Vocal Performance, Male.

1974 Slade hits their third consecutive #1 with 'Old, New, Borrowed and Blue'.

1975 a policeman who stopped a Lincoln Continental for running a red light in Los Angeles was surprised to find Paul McCartney at the wheel with his wife Linda. The cop detected a smell of marijuana and on searching the car found eight ounces of the drug. Linda was arrested for the offence.

1983,a new digital audio system, a five-inch compact disc containing up to 1 hour of music was launched by Sony, Philips and Polygram.

1985 Phil Collins started a five-week run at No.1 on the UK chart with his third solo LP 'No Jacket Required'.

1988 Ray Charles receives a Lifetime Achievement Award at the 30th annual Grammy Awards. It is noted that "he is the father of soul...[having] personified the true essence of soul music in all his...performances of basic blues, pop ballads, jazz tunes and even country music."

1991 Madonna's 'Rescue Me', entered the US hot 100 at No.15, making her the highest- debuting female artist in rock history. The record had been held by Joy Llayne whose 1957 single 'Your Wild Heart', entered the chart at No. 30.

1999 Dusty Springfield dies of breast cancer on the day she was scheduled to receive the Order of the British Empire (OBE) from the queen of England and two weeks before her induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

2007 Jimi Hendrix was crowned the 'wildest guitar hero' of all-time in a poll of music fans for Classic Rock magazine. Hendrix beat Keith Richards into second place, with Stevie Ray Vaughan in third. Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page made it to number four, followed by Dimebag Darrell, who played for several heavy metal bands including Pantera and Damageplan.

MikeA
03-02-2011, 11:10 AM
2007 Jimi Hendrix was crowned the 'wildest guitar hero' of all-time in a poll of music fans for Classic Rock magazine. Hendrix beat Keith Richards into second place, with Stevie Ray Vaughan in third. Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page made it to number four, followed by Dimebag Darrell, who played for several heavy metal bands including Pantera and Damageplan.

Keep in mind, this poll was for the "Wildest Guitar Hero" not necessarily the "BEST".

01. Jimi Hendrix
02. Keith Richards
03. Stevie Ray Vaughan
04. Jimmy Page
05. "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott
06. Tony Iommi
07. Rory Gallagher
08. Eddie Van Halen
09. Chuck Berry
10. Kurt Cobain
11. Steve Clark
12. James Hetfield
13. Brian Jones
14. Jeff Beck
15. John Frusciante
16. Steve Jones
17. Johnny Thunders
18. Ted Nugent
19. Peter Green
20. Ace Frehley

Koala
03-03-2011, 02:50 AM
1960 Elvis Presley arrives in America following his Army stint in Germany. He lands during a snowstorm at McGuire Air Force Base in New Jersey at 7:42 a.m. The first person to welcome him back as he steps off the plane is Nancy Sinatra.

1966 Neil Young, Stephen Stills, and Richie Furay form Buffalo Springfield in L.A. Young is fresh from Toronto, arriving in Los Angeles driving a hearse he has nicknamed "Mort."

1983 A member of Hell's Angels testifies to a Senate judiciary panel. He says the infamous motorcycle gang's California chapter has had a murder contract out on Mick Jagger for the past 14 years and has tried to kill him twice.

1989 MTV world premieres Madonna's "Like a Prayer" video.

2004 A New Jersey businessman sells the world's largest collection of Michael Jackson memorabilia to an unnamed European buyer. Henry Vaccaro was awarded the stage costumes, photographs, and props after the Jacksons defaulted on a $1.5 million payment for his Neptune, N.J.-based guitar company.

Koala
03-04-2011, 02:51 AM
1959 The winners of the first Grammy Awards were announced. Domenico Modugno's 'Volare' was Record of the Year; Henry Mancini's 'Peter Gunn' was Album of the Year and The Champs 'Tequila' won best R&B performance.

1966 John Lennon's statement that The Beatles were 'more popular than Jesus Christ' was published in The London Evening Standard. “Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. We’re more popular then Jesus now; I don’t know which will go first, rock ‘n’ roll or Christianity. Jesus was alright, but his disciples were thick and ordinary.” Christian group's in the US were outraged resulting in some states burning Beatles records. Lennon later apologised.

1967 The Rolling Stones went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Ruby Tuesday', the group's fourth US No.1 single. 'Lets Spend The Night Together' was the original A side but after radio stations banned the song 'Tuesday' became the A side.

1994 Kurt Cobain was rushed to hospital after overdosing on alcohol and drugs in a Rome hotel during a Nirvana European tour. Cobain had taken 50-60 pills of Rohypnol mixed with champagne; rumours on the internet claimed that Kurt was dead.

1995 Mike & the Mechanics release their fourth album, 'Beggar On the Beach of Gold'.

2003 a noisy neighbour was banned from playing her music and had her stereo system impounded, after she had played Cliff Richard music too loudly. 23 year-old Sian Davies was fined £1,000 ($1,700) plus court costs after environmental protection officers raided her flat in Porth, Rhondda, Wales and seized 15 amplifiers and speakers, plus 135 CDs and cassette tapes. The disc found in her CD player was the Cliff Richard single, ‘Peace in Our Time’. A spokesman for the Cliff Richard Organization said he was delighted to hear of somebody in their early 20s owning one of his many recordings. He added, Cliff would not want anyone to play his music so that it caused a nuisance.

Prettymaid
03-04-2011, 09:08 AM
1966 John Lennon's statement that The Beatles were 'more popular than Jesus Christ' was published in The London Evening Standard. “Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. We’re more popular then Jesus now; I don’t know which will go first, rock ‘n’ roll or Christianity. Jesus was alright, but his disciples were thick and ordinary.” Christian group's in the US were outraged resulting in some states burning Beatles records. Lennon later apologised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ6NL3iNNMs

TimothyBFan
03-04-2011, 10:13 AM
2003 a noisy neighbour was banned from playing her music and had her stereo system impounded, after she had played Cliff Richard music too loudly. 23 year-old Sian Davies was fined £1,000 ($1,700) plus court costs after environmental protection officers raided her flat in Porth, Rhondda, Wales and seized 15 amplifiers and speakers, plus 135 CDs and cassette tapes. The disc found in her CD player was the Cliff Richard single, ‘Peace in Our Time’. A spokesman for the Cliff Richard Organization said he was delighted to hear of somebody in their early 20s owning one of his many recordings. He added, Cliff would not want anyone to play his music so that it caused a nuisance.

There's Cliff again!! Does a week go by without him being in this thread? :hilarious:

Brooke
03-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Too funny!

He had a few hits here, but I sure didn't know he was that popular!

MikeA
03-04-2011, 12:08 PM
1966 John Lennon's statement that The Beatles were 'more popular than Jesus Christ'

1966....the year I graduated from High School. I can remember this happening as clearly as if it were "Yesterday". The Preacher at the Baptist Church I attended preached an entire sermon on this proclaiming all Rock And Roll Music was destroying the morales of the youth of the world. He even admitted to the congregation that unfortunately, what John Lennon said was probably correct! This was really ironic because the Director of the choir thought Norwegian Wood was the greatest song that had ever been written!

Our Preacher was dead set against Sex too because it often led to Dancing!
:band:

Brooke
03-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Lol Mike! Did he have any children? :laugh:

MikeA
03-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Lol Mike! Did he have any children? :laugh:

Yes. They were his punishment. Thank God he didn't dance. I'd hate to think what that punishment would have been!

Koala
03-05-2011, 03:25 AM
1955 Elvis Presley made his TV debut when he appeared on the weekend show 'Louisiana Hayride' on KWKH TV, broadcast from Shreveport Auditorium in Shreveport, Louisiana.

1963 Country singer Patsy Cline was killed in a plane crash at Dyersburg, Virginia, along with The Cowboy Copas and Hawkshaw Hawkins. They were traveling to Nashville to appear at a benefit concert for DJ 'Cactus' Jack Call, who'd died in a car crash. Cline was the first country singer to cross over as a pop artist. Two days later Country singer, Jack Anglin was killed in a car crash on his way to Cline's funeral.

1971 Led Zeppelin started a 12-date 'thank you' tour for British fans appearing at the clubs from their early days and charging the admission price from 1968. The first show was at The Ulster Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland.

1982 actor and singer John Belushi died from an overdose of cocaine and heroin. Belushi was one of the original cast members on US TV's Saturday Night Live, played Joliet 'Jake' Blues in The Blues Brothers and also appeared in the film Animal House. His tombstone reads "I may be gone, but rock n roll lives on."

1983 Michael Jackson started a seven week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Billie Jean', his fourth solo US No.1, also No.1 in the UK. And on this day Jacksons album 'Thriller' went to No.1 for the first time on the UK album chart, it went on to become the biggest selling album of all time with sales over 50 million.

Koala
03-06-2011, 03:15 AM
1946 David Gilmour is born.

1965 'The Rolling Stones Number 2' album went back to No.1 on the UK charts for six weeks.

1965 The Temptations went to No.1 on the US singles chart with the Smokey Robinson penned song 'My Girl', making the group the first male act to have a No.1 for Motown, The single only reached No.43 in the UK but made No.2 when re-issued.

1967 The Beatles recorded sound effects onto the song ‘Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band’ at Abbey Road studios in London. The beginning audience murmurs and sounds of a band preparing for a performance are added, along with screams from a tape of the Beatles in concert at the Hollywood Bowl.

1971 Mungo Jerry were at No.1 on the UK singles chat with 'Baby Jump', the group's second and final No.1.

1972 Pink Floyd played the first night on a 7-date tour of Japan at the Tokyo-To Taiikukan, in Tokyo, Japan.

1973 Slade scored their fourth UK No.1 single with 'Cum On Feel The Noize', the first single to enter the charts at No.1 since The Beatles 'Get Back' in 1969. Elton John had the No.1 album with 'Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player'.

2000 Eric Clapton is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the fifteenth annual induction dinner. Robbie Robertson is his presenter.

2004 David Crosby was arrested and charged with criminal possession of a weapon and marijuana after leaving his bag in a New York hotel. The luggage was found by a hotel employee looking for identification, finding instead a handgun and marijuana. The employee called authorities, and Crosby, discovering the missing luggage himself, telephoned to say he would return for it. He was met by New York police, who arrested him.

MikeA
03-06-2011, 11:19 AM
1967 The Beatles recorded sound effects onto the song ‘Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band’ at Abbey Road studios in London. The beginning audience murmurs and sounds of a band preparing for a performance are added, along with screams from a tape of the Beatles in concert at the Hollywood Bowl.

"Innovative" would be an understatement! Their initial success I think gave them the Fame and Ego to try whatever they wanted without really having to worry about skid row if it didn't work out. For the most part, everything they did "worked out!"

Koala
03-07-2011, 09:05 AM
1962 The Beatles make their radio debut performing three songs, including Roy Orbison's "Dream Baby," on the BBC.

1965 During a Rolling Stones gig at The Palace Theatre in Manchester, England a female fan fell from the circle while the group were playing. The crowd below broke her fall and the girl escaped serious injury just breaking a few teeth.

1970 Simon and Garfunkels album 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' started a ten week run at No.1 on the US chart. The duo had split-up by the time of release.

1976 Elton John was immortalised in wax at Madame Tussauds in London. The first rock star to be so since The Beatles.

1987 The first five Beatles albums, Please Please Me, With the Beatles, A Hard Day's Night, Beatles for Sale and Help! were released on Compact disc. Capitol Records decided to release the original UK mixes of the Beatles albums, which means that the first four CDs are released in mono. This marks the first time that many of these mono mixes were available in the US.

1987 Peter Gabriel hits #8 in the US with "Big Time".

1988 New Kids on the Block's (five Boston teens put together by Maurice Star)" Please Don't Go Girl" is added to radio play lists and starts the ball rolling for one of the biggest boy bands of the 80s.

MikeA
03-07-2011, 09:16 AM
1987 The first five Beatles albums, Please Please Me, With the Beatles, A Hard Day's Night, Beatles for Sale and Help! were released on Compact disc. Capitol Records decided to release the original UK mixes of the Beatles albums, which means that the first four CDs are released in mono. This marks the first time that many of these mono mixes were available in the US.

This may be the wrong place to mention this. But does anyone else remember when, back in the 60's when you could buy a vinyl album but usually had the choice of buying a Stereo or Mono version of the vinyl?

My memory may be playing tricks on me. I was in one of those "Record Clubs" where you got 100 albums free by agreeing to buy 12 albums at the "regular club price" (yeah I know, I was a sucker). But the ones they offered as freebies were either out of stock or were old releases or by bands you'd never heard of. But by being patient, I did eventually get 100 albums that I was not ashamed to have stacked along the walls.

tequila girl
03-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I remember too Mike.....I was also a member of one of "those" record clubs! :brickwall:

MikeA
03-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Eventually, the "membership" paid off but it was frustrating when I'd make out lists of albums I wanted to receive and find that about half of them were "out of stock". I'll bet that I selected 300 different albums before I finally got 100 that they actually had. It was Columbia Record Club I think. Seems like the normal price was around $11 or $12 plus shipping. Considerably more expensive for those 12 records than if I'd gone to one of the record shops or discount houses and bought them.

But I did get a lot of "folk music" and "blues". Those were not popular categories back in the 60's and early 70's so I could fill in the 100 freebies with those.

03-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Well - Kudos to you for sticking with it, Mike and getting all of your albums. I was going to join one of those clubs one time, but I was lucky because a friend of mine "shared" his experiences with me before I signed up.

Koala
03-08-2011, 02:44 AM
1947 Randy Meisner was born.

1973 Paul McCartney was fined £100 ($170) for growing cannabis at his farm in Campbeltown, Scotland. McCartney claimed some fans gave the seeds to him and that he didn’t know what they would grow.

1974 Bad Company kicked off their first UK tour at Newcastle City Hall. The band was made up by ex members from Free, (Paul Rodgers & Simon Kirke), Mott The Hoople, (Mick Ralphs), and King Crimson, (Boz Burrell).

1986 Diana Ross was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with the 'Chain Reaction.' Written and produced by the Bee Gees, (who also provided the backing vocals for the single). The single became her first No.1 single in the UK since 'I'm Still Waiting' in 1971.

1986 Whitney Houston went to No.1 on the US album chart with her self-titled album. It spent a total of 14 weeks at the No.1 position.

2008 China was set to impose stricter rules on foreign pop stars after Bjork caused controversy by shouting "Tibet, Tibet" at a Shanghai concert after a powerful performance of her song Declare Independence. Talk of Tibetan independence was considered taboo in China, which had ruled the territory since 1951. A spokesperson from the culture ministry said Bjork would be banned from performing in China if there was a repeat performance.

2009 A blue plaque in honour of The Who drummer Keith Moon was unveiled on the site of the Marquee Club in Soho, London, where in 1964 the band played the first of 29 gigs there. Fans on scooters turned up to pay tribute to Moon, who was 32 when he died of an accidental overdose in 1978. The blue plaque, which means the site is of historic importance, was awarded by the Heritage Foundation.

MikeA
03-08-2011, 09:11 AM
1973 Paul McCartney was fined £100 ($170) for growing cannabis at his farm in Campbeltown, Scotland. McCartney claimed some fans gave the seeds to him and that he didn’t know what they would grow.

I believe Sir Paul's story. :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
03-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Me too Mike. Sounds logical. :wink:

Prettymaid
03-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Yeah...right Paul. :eyebrow:

MikeA
03-08-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm betting he thought it was Daisies or maybe....Poppies <LOL>

Koala
03-09-2011, 02:14 AM
1964 The Beatles filmed the last day of train scenes for the movie A Hard Days Night. During their six days of filming aboard a moving train, The Beatles traveled a total of 2,500 miles on the rails.

1968 Bob Dylan started a ten-week run at No.1 on the UK chart with his ninth album 'John Wesley Harding'. A US No.2 in the same year.

1975 actor Telly Savalas was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with his version of the David Gates (from Bread) song 'If'. Savalas was currently high in the TV ratings playing the policeman Kojak.

1981 Robert Plant played a secret gig at Keele University, England with his new band The Honey Drippers.

1991 Chris Rea scored his second UK No.1 album with 'Auberge' the follow up to 'The Road To Hell', his 11th LP release.

1992 the Elvis Presley postage stamp is released.

1996 Take That scored their eighth and last UK No.1 single (until re-forming in 2006) with their version of The Bee Gees 1977 song 'How Deep Is Your Love', (originally intended for US singer Yvonne Elliman), and used as part of the soundtrack to the film Saturday Night Fever.

2004 Tom Jones was banned from wearing tight leather pants by his own son and manager Mark Jones. His son said it was time to “dress his age” as he was in danger of becoming a laughing stock at 63.

TimothyBFan
03-09-2011, 09:47 AM
1991 Chris Rea scored his second UK No.1 album with 'Auberge' the follow up to 'The Road To Hell', his 11th LP release.

One of my new found loves!!!! :inlove: That voice just sends chills down my spine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj3RIQVqABo&feature=fvst
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LuKwOYBka4&feature=related)

MikeA
03-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Sounds a bit like Eric Clapton about an octave lower. It was the video that got me. Reminded me so much of so many of the bike rides friends of mine and I used to take almost every weekend. Good Times.

Brooke
03-09-2011, 11:37 AM
2004 Tom Jones was banned from wearing tight leather pants by his own son and manager Mark Jones. His son said it was time to “dress his age” as he was in danger of becoming a laughing stock at 63.

That is hilarious! :rofl:

Koala
03-10-2011, 02:13 AM
1960 UK trade paper Record Retailer published the UK's first ever EP (extended player) chart and LP chart. No. 1 EP was 'Expresso Bongo' by Cliff Richard & The Shadows and No.1 LP 'The Explosive Freddy Cannon.'

1973 the Pink Floyd album 'Dark Side Of The Moon' was released in America, it spent over 740 weeks on the chart over a 14-year period.

1977 at 7am in the morning on a trestle table set up out-side Buckingham Palace, London, The Sex Pistols signed to A&M Records. The contract lasted for six days.

1979 Gloria Gaynor started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Will Survive', also a No.1 in the UK. The song was originally released as the B-side to a song first recorded by The Righteous Brothers called 'Substitute.'

1988 younger brother of The Bee Gees Andy Gibb died in hospital. His death from myocarditis (inflammation of the heart) followed a long battle with cocaine addiction, which had weakened his heart.

1998 His Pilgrim album yields the introspective hit "My Father's Eyes," which wins Eric Clapton a Grammy for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance.

2000 The Daily Mail published pictures of Paul McCartney dancing with a cowgirl on the bar of a New York club. McCartney sang along to 'Whole Lotta Shakin' through a megaphone and mimicked a strip tease in front of 100 onlookers.

Annabel
03-10-2011, 04:52 AM
1988 younger brother of The Bee Gees Andy Gibb died in hospital. His death from myocarditis (inflammation of the heart) followed a long battle with cocaine addiction, which had weakened his heart.

Ahhh he was one of my pin ups. :drool: I even joined his fan club. Was sad the way he died.

MikeA
03-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Clapton's "Pilgram" is one of his better releases. Actually, I like most all of the albums and CDs that Eric has released. The guy can really play and his vocals are better than he gave himself credit for back when he was with Cream and the Blues Breakers. He and Walsh were very alike in that respect when they were kids.

Koala
03-11-2011, 02:26 AM
1965 The Beatles release "Yes It Is".

1965 Tom Jones was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'It's Not Unusual.' The Welsh singers first of 16 UK Top 40 hits during the 60's.

1968 The Otis Redding single 'Dock Of The Bay', went gold in the US three months after the singer was killed in a plane crash.

1970 'Deja Vu', by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young is released. It contains underground favorites like Stills' "Carry On," Young's "Helpless" and Crosby's "Almost Cut My Hair," while launching three Top Forty singles: "Woodstock" (#11), "Teach Your Children" (#16) and "Our House" (#30).

1971 Jim Morrison of The Doors arrived in Paris booking into The Hotel George's, the following week he moved into an apartment at 17 Rue Beautreillis in Paris. Morrison lived in Paris until his death on July 3rd 1971.

1972 Neil Young went to No.1 on the US & UK album chart with 'Harvest.' The album featured the hit single 'Heart Of Gold.'

1978 Meat Loaf's 'Bat Out Of Hell', album began a 416-week run on the UK chart, going on to sell over 2 million copies.

1978 Van Halen's self-titled debut album enters the charts.
1989 Australian actor turned singer Jason Donovan scored his first UK No.1 single with 'Too Many Broken Hearts.' Written and produced by Stock, Aitken and Waterman.

2005 the front door of Ozzy Osbourne's childhood home in Birmingham went up for sale because the current owner was fed up with fans defacing it. Ali Mubarrat, who now owned the house in Lodge Road, Aston, said over the years it had become a pilgrimage destination. He was now auctioning the door on eBay and giving the money to charity.

2008 Madonna was inducted into the US Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at a star-studded ceremony in New York City, she received her honour at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel from singer Justin Timberlake. The 49-year-old thanked her detractors in an acceptance speech, including those who "said I couldn't sing, that I was a one hit wonder". Rock star John Mellencamp, Leonard Cohen, The Ventures and The Dave Clark Five were also among the inductees.

Koala
03-12-2011, 01:23 AM
1963 The Beatles played at the Granada Cinema in Bedford. Also on the bill, Chris Montez and Tommy Roe. John Lennon, suffering from a heavy cold, was unable to perform, so The Beatles set was rearranged so that George and Paul could sing the parts that John usually sang.

1966 The Mamas and the Papas' debut single, "California Dreamin'," reaches #4. Over time, it becomes the Mamas and the Papas' signature song.

1969 Paul McCartney married Linda Eastman at Marylebone Register Office. They then held a reception lunch at The Ritz Hotel, Paul then went to Abbey Road studios in the evening to work. George Harrison and his wife Patti were arrested on the same day and charged with possession of 120 joints of marijuana.

1983 U2 scored their first UK No.1 album with 'War', which went on to spend a total of 147 weeks on the chart. The album featured the singles 'New Years Day' and 'Two Hearts Beat As One'.

1983 Welsh singer Bonnie Tyler had her only UK No.1 single with a song written by Meatloaf's producer, Jim Steinman, 'Total Eclipse Of The Heart'. Also No.1 in the US, (the only Welsh artist to score a US No.1), Canada and Australia, the single sold over 5 million copies.

2006 former Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour went to No.1 on the UK album chart with his third solo album 'On An Island.'

2009 Hundreds of fans queued at the O2 arena in London as Michael Jackson tickets went on sale to the public. The 50-year-old pop veteran had confirmed he would be playing a 50-date residency at the venue, beginning on 8 July 2009. Some 360,000 pre-sale tickets had already sold. Organisers said the This Is It tour had become the fastest-selling in history, with 33 seats sold each minute. Prices ranged from £170 to £10,000, but tickets bought directly from the singer's website cost up to £75. Jackson had said this would be the last time he would perform in the UK.

MikeA
03-12-2011, 08:19 AM
In 1967, I had dropped out of college and volunteered for the Army. Why not! Draft (conscription) was inevitable and bypassing the Draft and enlisting would give a volunteer a small chance of getting into training that they preferred to be involved in rather than the 99% surety of becoming cannon-fodder.

I didn't pass the physical (spontaneous pneumothorax...or collapsed lung) the year before disqualified me from military duty.

I was unprepared for that and with no training and no education other than high school, I had to take a job at a furniture factory (Curtis Mathis who made cabinets for Television Sets). I worked a swing shift from 4pm to midnight and it was a very boring vocation! Repetitious. LOUD. I was on a radial arm saw cutting little pieces of triangular shaped wood used to reinforce corners inside the cabinets.

At that time, all I could think of was getting to California! My dream was to buy a Harley Davidson bike and just take off. I sang "California Dreaming" incessantly for months while working in that factory.

I got so lax in attention that one night, I lopped off the tips of two fingers on my left hand! And, I was singing "California Dreaming" when it happened <LOL>

Brooke
03-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Yikes, Mike! I bet that woke you up!

MikeA
03-12-2011, 10:09 AM
You Bet Brooke! I did eventually make it to California in the mid 70's on a short business trip. San Francisco. But didn't even make it to Haight Ashbury. I did traverse the Golden Gate and did also take a heli-cab across the Bay and saw San Quinten fairly close up. That's one UGLY place too!

Not exactly the circumstances I had envisioned back in 1967 though.

sodascouts
03-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Wow, Mike! You've lived a very interesting life, even if it didn't turn out the way you originally intended.

Sorry about those fingertips though! OOOOUUUUUCCCCH!

tequila girl
03-12-2011, 06:37 PM
I got so lax in attention that one night, I lopped off the tips of two fingers on my left hand!
I shouldn't make fun Mike, but...does that make guitar playing any easier do you think, your fingers being a bit 'flattened?" :ack:

MikeA
03-12-2011, 06:40 PM
It sort of "tapered" my left index finger and my middle finger. The skin grafted both fingers and more or less rebuilt them. I haven't even lost the feeling in the ends nor did I permanently lose the fingernails. I was very lucky!

Koala
03-13-2011, 03:51 AM
1965 Eric Clapton quit The Yardbirds due to musical differences with the other band members. Clapton wanted to continue in a blues type vein, while the rest of the band preferred the more commercial style of their first hit, ‘For Your Love’.

1976 Genesis hits #3 in the UK with 'A Trick of the Tail'.

1976 'Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975,' a best-of drawn from the Eagles' first four albums, enters the album chart. One-third of a century later it will be pronounced the best-selling album in history.

1985 Bob Geldof and Midge Ure received the best selling a side award at the 30th Ivor Novello Awards for 'Do They Know It's Christmas.'

1987 Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

1993 Eric Clapton started a three-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Unplugged.'

2006 The Sex Pistols refused to attend their own induction into the US Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in New York City. Blondie, Herb Alpert and Black Sabbath were all inducted but the Pistols posted a handwritten note on their website, calling the institution "urine in wine", adding "We're not your monkeys, we're not coming. You're not paying attention".

2007 Coffee house Starbucks announced the launch of its own music label, saying it would sign both established and new artists. The chain, which had 13,000 stores worldwide, had already released albums under its Hear Music brand, licensing songs from other companies. Starbucks bosses said the label would now become more independent and that music fitted with the firm's identity.

Koala
03-14-2011, 02:32 AM
1971 "Me and Bobby McGee," Janis Joplin's only Top Forty hit, reaches #1. It tops Billboard's pop singles chart for two weeks.

1973 Elton John was at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Crocodile Rock'.

1981 Eric Clapton was hospitalised with bleeding ulcers causing a US tour to be cancelled. He was back in hospital five weeks later after being involved in a car crash.

1982 Metallica made their live debut when they appeared at Radio City in Anaheim, California.

1983 Jon Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora and Alec John Such formed Bon Jovi.

2005 Michael Jackson was blasted by British Army veterans for wearing military badges while on trail for child abuse. The singer had appeared in court on most days with either an Army motif on his breast pocket or a cap badge tied around his neck.

2006 U2 topped Rolling Stone magazine’s annual list of the year’s biggest money earners from 2005 with $154.2m. (£78m), The Rolling Stones were listed second with $92.5m (£47m) and The Eagles third with 63.2m. (£32.m). Paul McCartney was in fourth place with $56m (£28m) and Elton John in fifth with $48.9m. (£24.8m).

Koala
03-15-2011, 02:23 AM
1964 The Rolling Stones kicked off a 58-date UK tour at the Invicta Ballroom in Chatham, Kent. Half the dates saw the Stones playing two shows in one evening.

1967 The first session recording George Harrison's new song ‘Within You Without You’ took place at Abbey Road studios, London. George was the only Beatle to perform on this song, which was still called 'Untitled'. Harrison played the swordmandel and tamboura, Natver Soni played tabla, Amrat Gajjar played dilruba, PD Joshi played swordmandel, and an undocumented musician played a droning tamboura.

1969 Cream started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK chart with their album 'Goodbye.'

1975 Led Zeppelin went to No.1 on the UK chart with the double album 'Physical Graffiti', the first on their own 'Swan Song' label, the album spent six weeks at No.1 on the US chart.

1980 Peter Gabriel hits #4 in the UK with "Games Without Frontiers".

1998 Madonna scored her sixth UK No.1 album with 'Ray Of Light', no other female artist had achieved more than three UK No.1 albums.

1999 Paul McCartney is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

1999 Bruce Springsteen is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

1999 Billy Joel is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

2000 Mick Jagger was ordered to increase his child support payments to Brazilian model Luciana Morad from $5,500 (£3,235) a month to $10,000 (£5,888). Mick was asked to confirm that he was the father of her child by the court, while Ms Morad was seeking a $10 million (£3.8 million) settlement. Morad told the court her monthly expenses: $3,500 (£2,065) for a nanny; $2,500–3,000 (£1,670–1,765) for food and $3,350 (£1,970) to rent her place on New York’s Upper West Side.

MikeA
03-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Mick was asked to confirm that he was the father of her child by the court, while Ms Morad was seeking a $10 million

Brazilian Model huh....I'm afraid I'd have had to tell her to come on and move in and I'd buy the Happy Meals for her and the kid!

Freypower
03-15-2011, 04:53 PM
As it's Hall of Fame day here are a couple of shots from last night's ceremony; they include a couple of heroes of mine.

Neil Diamond & Alice Cooper:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Wallpaper/Miscellaneous/NeilAlice.jpg

Neil with Paul Simon who inducted him:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Wallpaper/Miscellaneous/NeilPaul.jpg

Neil with Robbie Robertson. Bruce Springsteen is in the background. Is his attendance at the RRHOF compulsory, or something?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Wallpaper/Miscellaneous/NeilRobbie.jpg

Inductees Neil, Darlene Love & Alice performing with Sir Elton. Sir Elton inducted Leon Russell & Neil Young inducted Tom Waits.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Wallpaper/Miscellaneous/Inductees.jpg

tequila girl
03-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Seems very strange to see Alice Cooper in a Tux........even if it is a blood splattered one! :rofl:

Koala
03-16-2011, 02:41 AM
1963 The Beach Boys reach #3 with "Surfin' USA".

1968 Otis Redding has his only Number One hit, "Sittin' On the Dock of the Bay," after his death December 10, 1967 in a plane crash.

1972 John Lennon lodged an appeal with the US immigration office in New York, after he was served with deportation orders arising from his 1968 cannabis possession conviction.

1980 Another Brick in the Wall (Part II) (Pink Floyd) was a hit.

1989 MTV announces it is giving away Jon Bon Jovi's childhood home in Sayreville, New Jersey, on the network's "MTV's Giving Away Bon Jovi's house" contest. The network receives 3 million phone calls and blows out phone lines in Newark, NJ and Chicago.

1996, The Ramones performed what they claimed would be their last ever date in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

2010, Abba were inducted into the US Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, along with Genesis and The Hollies. Abba's Benny Andersson and Anni-Frid Lyngstad accepted their trophies, in New York.

TimothyBFan
03-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Neil with Robbie Robertson. Bruce Springsteen is in the background. Is his attendance at the RRHOF compulsory, or something?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Wallpaper/Miscellaneous/NeilRobbie.jpg

Ohhhhh...Robbie!!!! Lou---did you see this?

Koala
03-17-2011, 03:11 AM
1919 Nathaniel Adams (Nat King) Cole is born in Montgomery, Alabama.

1957 Elvis Presley bought the Graceland mansion from Mrs Ruth Brown-Moore for $102,500. (£60,295). The 23 room, 10,000 square foot home, on 13.8 acres of land, would be expanded to 17,552 square feet of living space before the king moved in a few weeks later. The original building had at one time been a place of worship, used by the Graceland Christian Church and was named after the builder's daughter, Grace Toof.

1968 The Bee Gees made their US television debut when they appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show.

1970 'Deja Vu,' by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, is released. With the addition of Neil Young giving the band a more electric edge, the album goes to #1 and sells more than 7 million copies.

1973 Dr Hook's single 'On The Cover Of Rolling Stone peaked at No.6 on the US chart. The single was banned in the UK by the BBC due to the reference of the magazine.

Koala
03-18-2011, 03:07 AM
1939 Frank Sinatra made his first recording, a song called ‘Our Love’, with the Frank Mane band.

1965 The Rolling Stones were each fined £5 ($8.50) for urinating in a public place. The incident took place at a petrol station after a gig in Romford, Essex, England.

1965 John Lennon gave his friend and ex-Quarry Man Pete Shotton £20,000 to open Hayling Supermarkets. Lennon, George Harrison and Shotton became joint directors of Hayling Supermarkets Ltd.

1967 The Beatles scored their 13th US No.1 single with 'Penny Lane.'

1972 Neil Young started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Heart Of Gold'. His only Top 20 hit as a solo artist reached No.10 on the UK chart.

1972 Paul Simon scored his first solo No.1 album when his self-titled debut went to the top on the UK charts. Featuring the singles 'Mother And Child Reunion' and 'Me And Julio Down By The School Yard.'

1978 The Bee Gees had the Top 3 on the US singles charts, 'Night Fever' at No.1, '(Love is) Thicker Than Water', by brother Andy at No.2, co-written by Barry Gibb and 'Emotion' by Samantha Song written and produced by The Bee Gees at No.3.

1995 'Greatest Hits', an 18-track anthology that includes newly recorded tracks by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, enters the album chart at #1. A video documentary of the studio reunion is released in 1998 as 'Blood Brothers'.

2002 The Ramones were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by Eddie Vedder, lead singer of Pearl Jam and close friend of the Ramones. The ceremony took place at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City.

2002 Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the seventeenth annual induction dinner. Jakob Dylan is their presenter

WalshFan88
03-18-2011, 04:19 AM
1965 The Rolling Stones were each fined £5 ($8.50) for urinating in a public place. The incident took place at a petrol station after a gig in Romford, Essex, England.

:rofl:

MikeA
03-18-2011, 08:14 AM
There have been times when I've felt that $8.50 was a cheap price to pay! Couldn't have been a protest over gas prices...they were GIVING gas away back then....$.17 a gallon. SERIOUSLY! However, it was always more expensive outside the USA so I don't know what it cost back then in the UK.

tequila girl
03-18-2011, 10:24 AM
...$.17 a gallon. SERIOUSLY! However, it was always more expensive outside the USA so I don't know what it cost back then in the UK.
Mike, i've just been talking to my brother who got his license in '65 and he clearly remembers petrol being 3 Shillings a gallon - which taking into account we've gone decimal since then equates to 15p = $0.242347

Koala
03-19-2011, 04:10 AM
1958 Big Records released 'Our Song' by a teenage duo from Queens, New York, Tom and Jerry. The duo will become famous in the '60s under their real names, Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel.

1978 Billy Joel made his UK live debut at London's Dury Lane Theatre.

1989 The Living Years (Mike & the Mechanics) was a hit. :yay:

2001 Michael Jackson is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the sixteenth annual induction dinner. N'Sync are his presenters.

2001 Queen is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the sixteenth annual induction dinner. Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins of Foo Fighters are their presenters.

2001 Paul Simon is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the sixteenth annual induction dinner. Marc Anthony is his presenter.

2001 Steely Dan is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the sixteenth annual induction dinner. Moby is their presenter.

2001Ritchie Valens is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the sixteenth annual induction dinner. Ricky Martin is his presenter.

2001James Burton is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the sixteenth annual induction dinner. Keith Richard is his presenter.

2001 Johnnie Johnson is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the sixteenth annual induction dinner. Keith Richard is his presenter.

Koala
03-20-2011, 03:58 AM
1961 Elvis Presley started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Surrender', his fifth No.1 of the 60's. It also made No.1 in the UK. The song was based on the 1911 Italian song, 'Return To Sorrento.'

1968 Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Richie Furay and Jim Mesina, were arrested in Los Angeles for 'being at a place where it was suspected marijuana was being used.' Clapton was later found innocent, the others paid small fines.

1969 John Lennon married Yoko Ono at the British Consulate Office in Gibraltar. They spent their honeymoon in Amsterdam campaigning for an international "Bed-In" for peace. They planned another "Bed-in" in the United States, but were denied entry. The couple then went to Montréal, and during a "Bed-in" at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel recorded ‘Give Peace a Chance’. Lennon also detailed this period in The Beatles' ‘The Ballad of John and Yoko’, recorded by Lennon and McCartney on April 14, 1969.

1971 Janis Joplin started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with the Kris Kristofferson's 'Me And Bobby McGee'. Joplin died the year before on 4th October aged 27.

1980 28 year- old Joseph Riviera held up the Asylum Records office in New York and demanded to see either Jackson Browne or The Eagles. Riviera wanted to talk to them to see if they would finance his trucking operation. He gave him-self up when told that neither act was in the office at the time.

1991,Eric Clapton's four year old son, Conor, fell to his death from the 53rd story of a New York City apartment after a housekeeper who was cleaning the room left a window open. The boy was in the custody of his mother, Italian actress, Lori Del Santo and the pair were visiting a friend's apartment. Clapton was staying in a nearby hotel after taking his son to the circus the previous evening. The tragedy inspired his song ‘Tears in Heaven’.

MikeA
03-20-2011, 09:09 AM
1968, Clapton, Furay and Young arrested because they were somewhere where the Narks thought weed might be burning!

Oh my, that arrest and others like it, inspired a lot of paranoia at the end of the 60's! Smoke a little dope, eat some potato chips and chill out with that Peaceful Easy Feeling....until it starts wearing off and then it's either burn some more or get a crik in your neck looking over your shoulder!

In Dallas, Tx back then, there were two distinct youth cultures at war. One was the dope smoking pill chewing long-haired hippy freaks who were "against" just about everything the "Establishment" represented....war, material things, 8 to 5 jobs....whatever! They did like fast cars though when they ran out of smoke <LOL> The music of the day was "Surrealistic Pillow", "Strawberry Fields" and anything Mystic whether it be Sitars or Yoga and Tarot. Discussions were mostly about the deep meanings of songs...songs that really had no obvious meaning but the words usually rhymed. And no one got upset when the interpretations that were arrived at were utter nonsense. That was "Heavy Man!"

On the other end of the spectrum, there were the goat ropers! Dallas had (and probably still has) their fair share of them. But if they didn't, Fort Worth certainly DID! They were about all the macho things, beer guzzlin' and the Lester Flatts and Earl Scruggs music. The idea of fun was to go to s#!t-kicking bar, get drunk and have a good fight in the parking lot (If you could still walk or crawl outside). Oh yeah, you had to have a floppy cowboy hat too and a big red pick-up truck! Few wore their hair long.

Them was good-ole days! <LOL> NOT REALLY!

tequila girl
03-20-2011, 09:16 AM
I like the sound of "the dope smoking pill chewing long-haired hippy freaks" best!! :thumbsup:

Koala
03-21-2011, 02:29 AM
1965 After 'I Want To Hold Your Hand' had held the No.1 position on the US singles chart for seven weeks, The Beatles started a two-week run at No.1 with 'She Loves You'.

1973 The BBC banned all teenybopper acts appearing on UK TV show, 'Top Of The Pops' after a riot following a David Cassidy performance.

1884 An MTV viewer spends an entire weekend with Van Halen as the winner of "The Lost Weekend With Van Halen" Cohntest.

1987 U2 scored their third UK No.1 album with 'The Joshua Tree', featuring the singles 'Where The Streets Have No Name', & 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For'. The album became the fastest selling in UK history and the first album to sell over a million CDs, spending a total of 156 weeks on the UK chart. Also a US No.1.

1991 Leo Fender, the inventor of The Telecaster and Stratocaster guitars died from Parkinson's disease. He started mass producing solid body electric guitars in the late 40s and when he sold his guitar company in 1965, sales were in excess of $40 million a year.

1994 Neil Youn‘s Grammy-nominated "Philadelphia," from the AIDS-themed movie of the same name, loses to Bruce Springsteen's "Streets of Philadelphia' (also on the soundtrack), for Best Song from a Motion Pictur.

MikeA
03-21-2011, 08:11 AM
I had completely forgotten that term "Teeny Bopper". It was not used in a good way in the music circles I was in. Was it the same as "Bubblegum"?

WalshFan88
03-21-2011, 09:57 AM
1991 Leo Fender, the inventor of The Telecaster and Stratocaster guitars died from Parkinson's disease. He started mass producing solid body electric guitars in the late 40s and when he sold his guitar company in 1965, sales were in excess of $40 million a year.

Great guy, genius inventor. If it weren't for him music wouldn't have been the same. His "Telecaster" design (although it has had different names) was really the first solidbody guitar design that people used. He and Ted McCarty (from Gibson) were amazing people that invented guitars that changed music. Les Paul too.

He also invented the amps that gave birth to Rock and Roll Music!

I LOVE the Telecaster, but I'm kinda iffy about Stratocasters. Nothing wrong with a good Strat, but a Tele is more my style. I love Fender guitars, even though my favorite is a Gibson Les Paul.

MikeA
03-21-2011, 10:29 AM
Kinda funny how the "history" of guitars has treated the two mainstays of solid body equipment.

People generally think that Les Paul was the first. Actually, Rickenbacker made the first ones but didn't market them successfully. McCarty was the force behind Gibson and in particular the Les Paul but it was more a reaction to what Leo Fender did with that Telecaster (No Caster?) that drove the LP into the market. Fender was the first to successfully market the solid body. Then McCarty (President of Gibson at the time in 1950) "recruited" Les Paul more as a "signature" than as the innovator. The only thing Les Paul did on that first Les Paul Gibson made was suggest a change in the tail piece <LOL>.

It was McCarty from Gibson who really took Paul Reed Smith under his wing and helped him launch the fabulous PRS.

Kind of funny too in a way about the history of Epiphone and Gibson. They were major competitors in the acoustic market. Then Epiphone got in trouble and Gibson bought them....for $20,000! I think that purchase took place in 1957 but am not sure.

I wish that Fender would do with Tacoma what Gibson did with Epiphone! Too good a guitar to let die out.

Gibson really diversified. They are far more than "just" a maker of Les Paul Guitars. They own Balwin Pianos, and several other Guitar names that we all are familiar with. Ever heard of Kramer? How about Steinberger?

Gibson almost died in the late 60's and 70's though when the company was sold to Norlin. They really slid downhill in quality until they were "rebought" by employees in 1986 and returned to making really first class instruments.

WalshFan88
03-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Kinda funny how the "history" of guitars has treated the two mainstays of solid body equipment.

People generally think that Les Paul was the first. Actually, Rickenbacker made the first ones but didn't market them successfully. McCarty was the force behind Gibson and in particular the Les Paul but it was more a reaction to what Leo Fender did with that Telecaster (No Caster?) that drove the LP into the market. Fender was the first to successfully market the solid body. Then McCarty (President of Gibson at the time in 1950) "recruited" Les Paul more as a "signature" than as the innovator. The only thing Les Paul did on that first Les Paul Gibson made was suggest a change in the tail piece <LOL>.

It was McCarty from Gibson who really took Paul Reed Smith under his wing and helped him launch the fabulous PRS.

Kind of funny too in a way about the history of Epiphone and Gibson. They were major competitors in the acoustic market. Then Epiphone got in trouble and Gibson bought them....for $20,000! I think that purchase took place in 1957 but am not sure.

I wish that Fender would do with Tacoma what Gibson did with Epiphone! Too good a guitar to let die out.

Gibson really diversified. They are far more than "just" a maker of Les Paul Guitars. They own Balwin Pianos, and several other Guitar names that we all are familiar with. Ever heard of Kramer? How about Steinberger?

Gibson almost died in the late 60's and 70's though when the company was sold to Norlin. They really slid downhill in quality until they were "rebought" by employees in 1986 and returned to making really first class instruments.

I agree Mike. The Gibson Les Paul and the Fender Telecaster are my favorite instruments of all time, the first marketed solidbodies!

Fender and Gibson BOTH about went under in the late 60s/early 70s. Fender was bought by CBS, and Gibson by Norlin. I'm not big on 70s model Fenders and Gibsons but that's just me.

Brooke
03-21-2011, 12:00 PM
1987 U2 scored their third UK No.1 album with 'The Joshua Tree', featuring the singles 'Where The Streets Have No Name', & 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For'. The album became the fastest selling in UK history and the first album to sell over a million CDs, spending a total of 156 weeks on the UK chart. Also a US No.1. [/QUOTE]

As I was reading this, I Still Haven't Found was playing on the radio! :shock:

Koala
03-22-2011, 02:32 AM
1974 On the Border (Eagles) is released!!!

1975 Led Zeppelin started a six week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Physical Graffiti', the group's fourth US No.1 album.

1980 Pink Floyd's 'Another Brick In The Wall', started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart. Also No.1 in the UK.

1984 Queen filmed the video for ‘I Want To Break Free’ at Limehouse Studio in London, England. Directed by David Mallet, it was a parody of the northern British soap opera Coronation Street with the band members dressed in drag. Guitarist Brian May later said the video ruined the band in America, and was initially banned by MTV in the US.

1986Heart went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'These Dreams', it made No.8 in the UK in 1988.

1991 Mike & the Mechanics release third album 'Word of Mouth'.

TimothyBFan
03-22-2011, 07:09 AM
1974 On the Border (Eagles) is released!!!

1975 Led Zeppelin started a six week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Physical Graffiti', the group's fourth US No.1 album.

1980 Pink Floyd's 'Another Brick In The Wall', started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart. Also No.1 in the UK.

1984 Queen filmed the video for ‘I Want To Break Free’ at Limehouse Studio in London, England. Directed by David Mallet, it was a parody of the northern British soap opera Coronation Street with the band members dressed in drag. Guitarist Brian May later said the video ruined the band in America, and was initially banned by MTV in the US.

1986Heart went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'These Dreams', it made No.8 in the UK in 1988.

1991 Mike & the Mechanics release third album 'Word of Mouth'.

WOW---Some great groups making the headlines for today in RNR history!!!

MikeA
03-22-2011, 08:16 AM
Yep, must be Spring now. Groups getting out after being in the studio all winter and hawking their wares. It was a good day in Rock n Roll History.

Koala
03-23-2011, 02:56 AM
1967 At a ceremony held at the Playhouse Theatre in London, The Beatles were awarded three Ivor Novello awards for 1966: Best-selling British single ‘Yellow Submarine’, most-performed song ‘Michelle’, and next-most-performed song ‘Yesterday’. None of the Beatles attended and the winning songs were played by Joe Loss and his Orchestra. The lead vocal for ‘Michelle’ was sung by Ross MacManus, whose son would go on to become the professional musician Elvis Costello.

1972 The film of The Concert For Bangla Desh featuring George Harrison, Bob Dylan and Eric Clapton premiered in New York.

1973 John Lennon was ordered to leave the US within 60 days by the immigration authorities; he began a long fight to win his 'Green Card' which he was given on 27th July 1976.

1974 Cher went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Dark Lady', the singers third solo No.1, it made No.36 in the UK.

1983 The Smiths played at The Rock Garden, London, England, the group's first ever London show.

1985 Former Creedence Clearwater Revival front man John Fogerty went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Centerfield.'

1990 Fleetwood Mac kicked off their Behind The Mask world tour with 14 dates in Australian starting at the Boondall Entertainment Centre in Brisbane.

1991 R.E.M. scored their first UK No.1 album with their seventh LP 'Out Of Time' featuring the singles 'Losing My Religion' and 'Shiny Happy People.'

MikeA
03-23-2011, 07:02 AM
1967 At a ceremony held at the Playhouse Theatre in London, The Beatles were awarded three Ivor Novello awards for 1966: Best-selling British single ‘Yellow Submarine’, most-performed song ‘Michelle’, and next-most-performed song ‘Yesterday’. None of the Beatles attended and the winning songs were played by Joe Loss and his Orchestra. The lead vocal for ‘Michelle’ was sung by Ross MacManus, whose son would go on to become the professional musician Elvis Costello.

That's an interesting tidbit. The part about Elvis Costello I mean. The Beatles refused just about everything "The Establishment" did whether it was about them or not. Talk about the Consummate Rebels.

Freypower
03-23-2011, 07:50 PM
That's an interesting tidbit. The part about Elvis Costello I mean. The Beatles refused just about everything "The Establishment" did whether it was about them or not. Talk about the Consummate Rebels.

What about the MBEs then? Although Lennon did send his back. The Royal Variety Performance ('rattle your jewellry')?

MikeA
03-23-2011, 08:25 PM
What about the MBEs then? Although Lennon did send his back. The Royal Variety Performance ('rattle your jewellry')?

I did say "just about everything". I'll stand by that. It was one of the "rallying points" that grew their following. They really were way up there on a pedestal when it came to the young people of the 60's. Everyone...or just about everyone...wanted to be like the Beatles. Almost everything they did was mimicked from music to their life styles.

Koala
03-24-2011, 02:30 AM
1966 Simon and Garfunkel made their UK singles chart debut with 'Homeward Bound.'

1973 Alice Cooper went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Billion Dollar Babies.' Also a No.1 in the US.

1973 During a Lou Reed show in Buffalo, New York, a fan jumped on stage and bit Lou on the bottom. The man was thrown out of the theatre and Reed completed the show.

1979 The Bee Gees started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Tragedy', the group's eighth US No.1. Also No.1 in the UK.

1985 'Easy Lover' by Philip Bailey and Phil Collins was at No.1 on the UK singles chart. Bailey was a former vocalist with Earth Wind & Fire. Phil Collins produced, drummed and sang on the track.

MikeA
03-24-2011, 07:25 AM
1966 Simon and Garfunkel made their UK singles chart debut with 'Homeward Bound.' I think it was in 2006...maybe 2005...that Verna and I saw S&G on their "Old Friends" tour in Columbus, Oh. Freakin' 40 years after that debut! Paul Simon still has it all...vocals and guitar. Garfunkel sadly hasn't weathered the years quite as well. He can still sing and sing well, but he wasn't hitting those ethereal notes...you know the ones I mean....those that knock the dust off the rafters and rattle the chandeliers! I was using binoculars from the 10 row on the left and I can almost swear he lip-sync'd some of those high passages in Bridge Over Troubled Water. I could be wrong, but it sure looked that way to me.

Freypower
03-24-2011, 06:16 PM
I think it was in 2006...maybe 2005...that Verna and I saw S&G on their "Old Friends" tour in Columbus, Oh. Freakin' 40 years after that debut! Paul Simon still has it all...vocals and guitar. Garfunkel sadly hasn't weathered the years quite as well. He can still sing and sing well, but he wasn't hitting those ethereal notes...you know the ones I mean....those that knock the dust off the rafters and rattle the chandeliers! I was using binoculars from the 10 row on the left and I can almost swear he lip-sync'd some of those high passages in Bridge Over Troubled Water. I could be wrong, but it sure looked that way to me.

I saw them in 2009 & I had exactly the same experience you had.

Koala
03-25-2011, 02:35 AM
1947 Elton John is born.

1958 Buddy Holly appeared at The Gaumont Theatre in London, the final date on his only UK tour. Also on the bill was Gary Miller, The Tanner Sisters, Des O'Conner, The Montanas, Ronnie Keene & His Orchestra.

1960 Elvis Presley played his last live show for eight years when he appeared at the Bloch Arena in Pearl Harbour, Hawaii.

1964 The Beatles made their debut on UK TV show 'Top Of The Pops' singing 'Can't Buy Me Love' and ‘You Can’t Do That.’ The show had been recorded on March 19th.

1966 At a photo session with Bob Whitaker’s studio in London, The Beatles posed in white coats using sides of meat with mutilated and butchered dolls for the cover of their next American album, ‘Yesterday and Today’. After a public outcry, the L.P. was pulled from stores and re-issued with a new cover.

1967 The Who and Cream made their U.S. concert debut at RKO 58th Street Theatre, New York City as part of a rock & roll extravaganza promoted by DJ Murray the K.

1967 Pink Floyd played three gigs in 24 hours. The appeared at the Ricky Tick Club in Windsor, England, then the New Yorker Discotheque in Swindon and then played at the Shoreline Club in Bognor Regis (in the early hours 26 March).

1969 John and Yoko started their week long 'bed-in' in the presidential suite at The Amsterdam Hilton hotel. The couple invited the world's press into their hotel room every day, to talk about promoting world peace.

1989 Mike And The Mechanics went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'The Living Years', a No. 2 hit in the UK.

TimothyBFan
03-25-2011, 07:55 AM
1969 John and Yoko started their week long 'bed-in' in the presidential suite at The Amsterdam Hilton hotel. The couple invited the world's press into their hotel room every day, to talk about promoting world peace.

Lucky Yoko---I wish I could find me a handsome, rich rock star to have a week long "bed-in" with!

Troubadour
03-25-2011, 11:45 AM
LOL, Willie.

MikeA
03-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Lucky Yoko---I wish I could find me a handsome, rich rock star to have a week long "bed-in" with!

Does he have to be Hansome? And Rich? And ALSO a Rock Star? You didn't mention "Young". Just tryin to figer out whether or not to fill out an application.

Brooke
03-25-2011, 01:10 PM
LOL!

TimothyBFan
03-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Does he have to be Hansome? And Rich? And ALSO a Rock Star? You didn't mention "Young". Just tryin to figer out whether or not to fill out an application.

Just so he ROCKS!!! I'm just trying to give peace a chance, Mike!!!;)

MikeA
03-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Just so he ROCKS!!! I'm just trying to give peace a chance, Mike!!!;)

Well, I don't meet any of your "basics" but I got other assets! :headbang:

And, I'm not touching that one with a 10' pole Willie! <LOLOLOLOL)

Koala
03-26-2011, 02:54 AM
1944 Diana Ross was born.

1948 Steven Tyler of Aerosmith is born.

1965 Mick Jagger, Brian Jones and Bill Wyman all received electric shocks from a faulty microphone on stage during a Rolling Stones show in Denmark. Bill Wyman was knocked unconscious for several minutes.

1980 The Police became the first Western pop group to play in Bombay, India for over ten years when they played a one off gig in the city.

1985 Radio stations in South Africa banned all of Stevie Wonders records after he dedicated the Oscar he had won the night before at The Academy Awards to Nelson Mandela.

2000 Phil Collins won an Oscar at the Academy Awards for Best Original Song with 'You'll Be In My Heart' from the Disney animated feature 'Tarzan.'

2006 Readers of Total Guitar magazine voted the guitar solo by Jimmy Page in Led Zeppelin’s 'Stairway To Heaven' as the greatest guitar solo of all time. The 1971 track was voted ahead of tracks by Van Halen, Queen, Jimi Hendrix and The Eagles by its UK readers.

Koala
03-26-2011, 03:01 AM
2006 Readers of Total Guitar magazine voted the guitar solo by Jimmy Page in Led Zeppelin’s 'Stairway To Heaven' as the greatest guitar solo of all time. The 1971 track was voted ahead of tracks by Van Halen, Queen, Jimi Hendrix and The Eagles by its UK readers.

In 1998 voted the readers of Guitarist magazine the solo from Don Felder and Joe Walsh with Hotel California as greatest solo of all time!
http://www.musicradar.com/guitarist/what-is-the-greatest-guitar-solo-of-all-time-372381

Here the first 3 places

1. Hotel California - The Eagles (Joe Walsh And Don Felder)
2. Eruption - Van Halen (Edward Van Halen)
3. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd (David Gilmour)

MikeA
03-26-2011, 07:26 AM

In 1998 voted the readers of Guitarist magazine the solo from Don Felder and Joe Walsh with Hotel California as greatest solo of all time!

I don't know if that speaks more to the changing musical tastes of listeners or to demographic of those who voted.

I wouldn't put up a great argument pro or con either for or against either of these two great works. I love them both.

Koala
03-27-2011, 02:06 AM
1950 Tony Banks (Genesis) is born. :)

1959 English pianist Russ Conway was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Side Saddle.' The only solo instrumentalist to achieve two consecutive No.1 hits.

1965 The Supremes scored their fourth US No.1 single with 'Stop! In The Name Of Love.'

1967 John Lennon and Paul McCartney were awarded the prestigious Ivor Novello award for 'Michelle', the most performed song in the UK in 1966.

1968 The Beatles were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Lady Madonna', the group's 14th UK No.1 and final No.1 on the Parlophone label.

1971 Bruce Springsteen & Friendly Enemies opened for The Allman Brothers Band at the Sunshine In, Asbury Park in New Jersey, tickets cost $4.00. Springsteen had just disbanded his group Steel Mill and within a few weeks would form Dr Zoom & The Sonic Boom with Steve Van Zandt.

1972 Elvis Presley recorded what would be his last major hit, 'Burning Love,' a No.2 hit on the US chart and No.7 in the UK.

1984 Metallica made their UK live debut at the Marquee, London.

1987 U2 performed from the roof of a store in downtown LA to make the video for 'Where The Streets Have No Name', attracting thousands of spectators and bringing traffic to a standstill. The police eventually stop the shoot.

2005 Tony Christie started a two week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with the ‘Definitive Collection’. This was almost 30 years after his last album chart appearance due to his Comic Relief No.1 single with comedian Peter Kay.

WalshFan88
03-27-2011, 10:13 AM
http://www.musicradar.com/guitarist/what-is-the-greatest-guitar-solo-of-all-time-372381

Here the first 3 places

1. Hotel California - The Eagles (Joe Walsh And Don Felder)
2. Eruption - Van Halen (Edward Van Halen)
3. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd (David Gilmour)

It is the greatest guitar solo of all time! There is no doubt in my mind about that. I've never heard any other solo come even close to the guitar greatness that is Hotel California. That solo is just so melodic and moving. It's pure genius. Both Felder's part that he plays and of course Walsh's part. That right there is what made me become a guitar player.

WalshFan88
03-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Actually I dislike the HC album. I was just changing my av and sig to show how much I dislike that album! :lie:

JK! :hilarious:

My favorite album of all time.... It's very special to me. It changed my life!

WalshFan88
03-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Very well put as I wasn't sure as to your REAL feelings for it(JK too). It's a huge part of the history of rock n roll.

LOL to the first sentence, completely agree to the 2nd sentence.

MikeA
03-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Agreed: "Hotel California" is right up there with "Bitter Creek"! (ducking and running)~!

Seriously, Hotel California, while it didn't "change my life" it did convince me that Eagles were making a full commitment to Rock n Roll...well, that song and the fact that Joe Freakin' Walsh had joined them! I knew they'd never be the same with HIM in the mix!

I'm NOT saying that the HC guitar solo was NOT the greatest guitar solo ever. But I would have a very hard time judging it from a technical as well as emotional level as being the absolute greatest ever.

You'd have to consider seriously the solos in "Stairway To Heaven", "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", "Funk #49", Clapton's solo in "Crossroads" or "Layla" or any number of others. There's some really good work by Felder and Joe in "Life In The Fast Lane" too.

But when I think of guitar solos, I naturally think first of "Hotel California", "Stairway to Heaven" and Harrison and Clapton in "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." All three are monumental.