PDA

View Full Version : James Taylor

Pages : 1 [2]

Tiffanny Twisted
10-28-2012, 02:18 PM
thanks ,it reminded me of my late pooch. she was 60 lbs and she thought that she was lap dog. she would make JAhh sit on the floor (since she couldnt sit on the couch) and then she would sit on his legs till they fell asleep and he couldnt take it any more. lol

Brooke
10-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Too cute! I must Like him on Fb, too!

Troubadour
11-18-2012, 03:40 PM
OMG - I was watching the film 'Funny People' today and suddenly JT popped up, singing Carolina In My Mind! He sounded so gorgeous and I swear he was wearing exactly the same shirt and jeans as he was when I met him! He then said a few lines (with a couple of expletives), which cracked me up. Seth Rogen asked him "Do you ever get tired of singing those same old songs all the time?" and James replied "Do you ever get tired of talking about your d*ck all the time?" LOL! Sorry for the language, but it was so incongruous and therefore pretty funny! His cameo totally made my day.

Prettymaid
11-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Lol!

Ive always been a dreamer
11-19-2012, 12:39 PM
OMG - that was a great comeback. You go, Sweet Baby James!

Troubadour
01-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Etsy has taken over as my new favourite place to browse online. It's pricey, but the stuff is so amazing - all unique and handmade from sellers all over the world. I just came across this and I am in love! I would love to have this print in my flat.

http://img1.etsystatic.com/011/0/6176578/il_fullxfull.417048229_s2ep.jpg

Prettymaid
01-19-2013, 11:03 PM
That looks great Troub! Why don't you do one of your own? Honestly, you have the talent to do something just like this.

Troubadour
01-20-2013, 12:43 PM
That is so sweet of you, Cathy! I guess I should give it a go... I definitely need to experiment more with different materials and stuff, though, to make it look as good as this.

Prettymaid
01-20-2013, 01:17 PM
I think it'd be so cool to have some of your own stuff hanging on your wall!

TimothyBFan
01-20-2013, 01:57 PM
That looks great Troub! Why don't you do one of your own? Honestly, you have the talent to do something just like this.

Exactly what I was thinking!! My beautiful Benjamin Orr sketch is proof of that!!

Brooke
01-21-2013, 04:49 PM
I guess JT sang America the Beautiful at the inaugeration today!

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/video/inauguration-day-2013-james-taylor-performs-america-beautiful-18273911

Troubadour
02-24-2013, 06:44 PM
I love this for so many reasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmliGgMtsQk&feature=share&list=PLJIduxjp51MgvwIZk9XVJboahZnlSp86P

Witchy Woman
02-25-2013, 02:30 AM
Totally off topic but -

Troub, your avatar !!

:thumbsup: :thud:

On topic, I just love James Taylor !! One of the greatest singer / songwriters ever !!

Troubadour
02-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Agreed - he is exceptional. One of my favourite vocalists of all-time.

Glad you like the avatar! It's one I haven't used before. Gotta love that smile.

Outlawman13
02-25-2013, 06:56 PM
James Taylor will always be a legend. His music is "off the charts" incredible.

Brooke
05-29-2013, 01:31 PM
James performed on the Carole King Gershwin Honors show on PBS last night. It was really good. James and Carole sang 'You've Got A Friend' together at the end. Brought tears to my eyes....beautiful!

I looked for it on YT, but that part isn't up yet. Maybe it will be later. Trisha Yearwood, Billy Joel, and Gloria Estefan also performed.

Henley Honey
05-29-2013, 02:10 PM
James performed on the Carole King Gershwin Honors show on PBS last night. It was really good. James and Carole sang 'You've Got A Friend' together at the end. Brought tears to my eyes....beautiful!

I looked for it on YT, but that part isn't up yet. Maybe it will be later. Trisha Yearwood, Billy Joel, and Gloria Estefan also performed.

I watched it too, Brooke. I loved the song James did with Billy Joel too.

Troubadour
05-29-2013, 04:13 PM
I'll have to see if I can check that out!

Brooke
05-29-2013, 04:44 PM
I posted this once, but for some reason it doesn't show up. Strange!

Anyway, here is a link to the show!

http://www.pbs.org/inperformanceatthewhitehouse/shows/gershwin-prize-carole-king/

Troubadour
06-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Just because I've never seen this picture before... new '70s shots are always welcome. :)

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq285/atthetroubadour/JamesTaylorBed_zpsb6aa40c4.jpg

He is so cute in Two Lane Blacktop. This is adorable.

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq285/atthetroubadour/JamesCute_zps455f9b0d.jpg

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq285/atthetroubadour/JamesCute2_zps0e5d4a0b.png

Troubadour
07-16-2013, 01:15 PM
James Skyping with Smokey Robinson whilst recording 'Ain't That Peculiar' this week (a track for Smokey's upcoming album of duets.) So cute!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/Lulabelle_/Jamesskyping_zps5b1a15bd.jpg

sodascouts
07-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Celebrity Skyping = Awesome!

Prettymaid
07-16-2013, 03:10 PM
I saw this on FB. Cute!

UK TimFan
07-16-2013, 06:24 PM
What always surprises me is how James can sing a song strongly associated with another singer (e.g. Handy man by Jimmy Jones) and make it seem that he originally sang it.
Like this one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKl2kHrKsvM

Troubadour
07-16-2013, 06:33 PM
I totally agree, UKTF! I love his voice so much. He is one of a kind.

TimothyBFan
07-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Love that picture!! How cool is that?

Troubadour
07-20-2013, 04:46 PM
This is kind of a "little things that remind you of JT" post, but I am just listening to Iain Lee on LBC Radio (a silly improv. show I used to listen to a lot) and he couldn't get something to work on his computer screen. In frustration he went "Oh ssssssweet baby James!" lol. :mrgreen:

Prettymaid
07-21-2013, 09:46 PM
Lol! That would immediately remind me of JT!

Troubadour
07-26-2013, 06:20 PM
I can't believe it's two years this month since I saw (and met) JT for the very first time.

Come back soon, James! I miss you! :inlove:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/Lulabelle_/Continued/022.jpg

Prettymaid
07-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Time flies, doesn't it? :sigh:

Troubadour
07-26-2013, 08:15 PM
It certainly does. I sometimes go back and read my reviews from here to keep those experiences alive - one definite benefit of writing detailed recounts at the time!

Here's one of my favourite live shots of James from the Troubadour Reunion Tour, just because.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/Lulabelle_/JamesTaylorGuitarTRT_zpsd3783ac4.jpg

Troubadour
07-27-2013, 03:35 PM
This is so beautiful.

http://youtu.be/LSNW-3GteZw

Henley Honey
07-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Wow. That really is beautiful.

I enjoy listening to JT most often in the very early mornings, but lately, on lazy afternoons with a nice cup of coffee or tea. His voice is so soothing. His vibe is so gentle. I love that. Plus he's kinda cute!!!

Prettymaid
07-28-2013, 05:42 PM
I like how he subtly changes the vocals of a song just enough to suit him and his audience. I was watching the Troubadour Taylor/King reunion last night and marveling at that.

Troubadour
07-28-2013, 06:06 PM
Wow. That really is beautiful.

I enjoy listening to JT most often in the very early mornings, but lately, on lazy afternoons with a nice cup of coffee or tea. His voice is so soothing. His vibe is so gentle. I love that. Plus he's kinda cute!!!

Totally agree! He's gorgeous. He is so adorable and gentle nowadays, yet has had such a tumultuous life. I would love to sit down with him and have a long chat. The mellow sound of the music belies the darkness of the lyrics and the depression and anxiety he has dealt with his whole life.

As for his voice, it is incredible; always perfectly in tune and with such a beautiful, clear tone. When I heard it live, I was blown away.

Prettymaid
07-28-2013, 08:27 PM
As for his voice, it is incredible; always perfectly in tune and with such a beautiful, clear tone. When I heard it live, I was blown away.

Exactly. His songs are very melodic, which suits his voice perfectly.

Troubadour
07-28-2013, 09:12 PM
I am watching QI (a comedy panel show in the UK) and the question was "How many friends do you have?" Rich Hall replied "Just one. James Taylor." LOL! Made my night.

Freypower
07-28-2013, 09:17 PM
I am watching QI (a comedy panel show in the UK) and the question was "How many friends do you have?" Rich Hall replied "Just one. James Taylor." LOL! Made my night.

We watched that episode recently. I think Stephen Fry didn't get it because his response was 'what a friend you have in him'. He just sounded as if he didn't get the reference.

Prettymaid
08-03-2013, 01:58 PM
VA mentioned this song in another thread, so I thought I'd listen to it on YouTube and bring it over here. It's so pretty.

Amy Grant featuring James Taylor

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OfGvXfe9LK8

Houston Baby
08-03-2013, 02:12 PM
It's beautiful! Thank you VA & PM!

Troubadour
08-13-2013, 09:03 AM
I totally had a James dream last night! Can't really remember specifics but it was present day and he was in a polo shirt and flatcap and I was having coffee with him in a little cafe in Lindos, Greece. I think he was the dad of one of my friends in my dream (awkward!) :lol:

Prettymaid
08-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Nice!

Troubadour
08-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Just felt like posting this picture because it makes me smile. It also reminds me of the moment when James pretended to read through his set list at my concert and talked about the fact that he had "no plans" for the interval. It was cute. :heart:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/Lulabelle_/JamesTaylorSetlist_zps813387d8.jpg

Prettymaid
08-26-2013, 08:10 PM
I love his sense of humor. It's so dry!

Troubadour
11-04-2013, 05:15 PM
The radio just played Your Smiling Face and the DJ said he thinks James Taylor should be prescribed on the NHS to help people feel better. Now there's a thought! :heart:

Brooke
11-04-2013, 05:20 PM
I would agree with that! Love JT!

Prettymaid
11-04-2013, 06:29 PM
I meant to post this sooner, but oh well.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2769955488001/dont-get-flustered-by-mistakes/

The Thrill Is Never Gone
11-10-2013, 09:58 PM
James Taylor has the most pure and clear voice I have ever heard. I saw him in concert a few years ago and his voice is unbelievable. And so humble about his talent.

randymeisnerrocks
11-20-2013, 05:39 PM
My son gave me tickets to see him at the the Starwood Amphitheatre in Nashville, TN, a few years ago. I was wearing slick shoes and accidently twisted my ankle really bad. I was in SO much pain and the ankle swelled up so much that I had to remove my shoes but I still had the time of my life. Love me some Sweet Baby James!

Prettymaid
11-20-2013, 06:02 PM
Great story RMR! Sometimes music is the best therapy.

Troubadour
12-04-2013, 06:39 PM
James is coming back to England next year, and he's performing in Bournemouth as well as London! So excited. I doubt much could top my last experience, but I can't wait to see him again. :inlove:

Brooke
12-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Great news for you Troub!

And who knows, maybe it will be just as memorable for you! Here's hoping!

sodascouts
12-06-2013, 12:12 AM
I know you'll have a blast, Troub!

TimothyBFan
12-10-2013, 01:36 PM
:yay: Good news, Troub!!!

Brooke
03-13-2014, 03:46 PM
Happy belated birthday to James! He turned 66 yesterday! :birthday:

Love so many of his songs, but I think this one is my favorite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOIo4lEpsPY

rick endres
03-13-2014, 04:29 PM
James is THE MAN! I rank JT right up there with the Eagles as far as my absolute favorites - Eagles for group, JT for solo performer. When he came to Cincinnati on his first tour in 1970, tickets for the GOOD seats at Music Hall (where the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra plays) were $3.50!!! I still have my ticket stub for that.

Fire & Rain is my all-time favorite of his, but only an eyelash ahead of Sweet Baby James; Carolina In My Mind; Something in the Way She Moves; Steamroller Blues; You've Got a Friend; Country Road; Shower the People; Mexico; You Can Close Your Eyes;Your Smilin' Face; Lighthouse; Up On the Roof; Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight; Her Town Too (with J.D. Souther); Handy Man; How Sweet It Is...you get the picture!

JT rocks!

Witchy Woman
03-13-2014, 11:50 PM
Picked up tickets to see him in July for $20 a piece through Groupon a few weeks ago. I've never seen him live before, but I know I will enjoy myself immensely.

Zanny Kingston
03-14-2014, 09:20 AM
I have seen James Taylor concerts more times than I can count. He does a great show and he is a favorite here in the Boston area, so its always a packed house with a great crowd.

Fire and Rain is a great song!

I enjoyed seeing him and Carol King on PBS a while back doing their show as well, I was not aware that they performed together in the past!

rick endres
03-14-2014, 10:14 AM
Picked up tickets to see him in July for $20 a piece through Groupon a few weeks ago. I've never seen him live before, but I know I will enjoy myself immensely.

Witchy Woman - you are in for a real treat - and for $20 a pop, you got an INCREDIBLE bargain!

Like the Eagles, JT has only gotten better with age. His music is easygoing and accessible. He does a few solo acoustic numbers, where it's just like he's sitting in your living room, or around a campfire in the woods. His band and backup singers are top notch. I guarantee after you see him once, you'll want to see him again and again.

James is a national treasure; however - also like the Eagles - the question is how much longer he'll be touring.

Hope you have a great time!

rick endres
03-14-2014, 10:32 AM
I have seen James Taylor concerts more times than I can count. He does a great show and he is a favorite here in the Boston area, so its always a packed house with a great crowd.

Fire and Rain is a great song!

I enjoyed seeing him and Carol King on PBS a while back doing their show as well, I was not aware that they performed together in the past!

Yeah - if you saw the PBS show (I have it on DVD), you saw JT's original band - Danny "Kootch" Kortchmar on guitar; Leland Sklar on bass; Russ Kunkel on drums; and of course, Carole on piano and vocals. An incredible band.

The Boston area is James's back yard (he lives on a farm in Pittsfield). He's liable to show up in Bean Town at any time. If you live in that area you're very fortunate.

I've seen him every time he's come to our area since 1970. Like you, I've lost count of how many times. Back in the day, we used to follow him from town to town in our area. We'd see him in Cincinnati one night, then Dayton the next and Columbus the night after that. Then we'd switch to Kentucky and go to Louisville one night and Lexington the next. Alas, those days are gone; we were college kids then and had a lot more free time.

But we're kids again when we go to see JT!

Brooke
03-14-2014, 10:36 AM
I've never seen JT in concert, but would love to!

Rick, that's amazing you got to see him so much!

And WW, sounds like a great time!

rick endres
03-14-2014, 10:48 AM
Oh, Brooke, you've got to see him if you can! It's an awesome experience.

Yeah - I've enjoyed them all. I read on here that someone has a tee shirt that reads, "I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands" (I'd LOVE to get one of those shirts!). That's a true statement. I've seen the Eagles; James Taylor; Gordon Lightfoot; Jackson Browne; Crosby & Nash; Crosby, Stills & Nash; Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young; Dan Fogelberg; Seals & Crofts; America; Doobie Bros.; Allman Bros.; Pure Prairie League; Led Zeppelin; the Kinks; the Moody Blues; Jimmy Buffett; Van Morrison...the list goes on. I have some GREAT memories...

Witchy Woman
03-15-2014, 12:42 AM
Witchy Woman - you are in for a real treat - and for $20 a pop, you got an INCREDIBLE bargain!

Like the Eagles, JT has only gotten better with age. His music is easygoing and accessible. He does a few solo acoustic numbers, where it's just like he's sitting in your living room, or around a campfire in the woods. His band and backup singers are top notch. I guarantee after you see him once, you'll want to see him again and again.

James is a national treasure; however - also like the Eagles - the question is how much longer he'll be touring.

Hope you have a great time!

Awesome !! And thanks !!

Freypower
03-15-2014, 08:58 PM
Oh, Brooke, you've got to see him if you can! It's an awesome experience.

Yeah - I've enjoyed them all. I read on here that someone has a tee shirt that reads, "I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands" (I'd LOVE to get one of those shirts!). That's a true statement. I've seen the Eagles; James Taylor; Gordon Lightfoot; Jackson Browne; Crosby & Nash; Crosby, Stills & Nash; Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young; Dan Fogelberg; Seals & Crofts; America; Doobie Bros.; Allman Bros.; Pure Prairie League; Led Zeppelin; the Kinks; the Moody Blues; Jimmy Buffett; Van Morrison...the list goes on. I have some GREAT memories...

Could you post some information about your Van Morrison experience in his thread please? And Led Zeppelin?

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2200

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1660

chaleymom
03-18-2014, 08:46 AM
@Rick - had to reply to this. Sweet Baby James will always have a place in my heart. Have loved him since high school. Finally got to see him and Carole King in Nashville a couple years ago. Our seats weren't the best but it didn't matter. We knew all the words to every single song and the night was - well, almost magical for me. He still sounds the same as he did years ago - still smooth as silk. And, to hear him and Carole together - ahhh - Loved it! It was one of those shows that you wished would have gone on forever! (Kinda like each time I've seen the Eagles....)

rick endres
03-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Sure. Van Morrison opened for the Moody Blues at the "acoustically-imperfect" Cincinnati Gardens (where the now defunct Cincinnati Royals NBA team played basketball). Van was not in the best of moods and had sound system issues to boot.

Led Zep...my memories of the Led Zep show are a little, erm, hazy. :hilarious: But I'll put together a couple of posts.

rick endres
03-18-2014, 09:02 AM
@Rick - had to reply to this. Sweet Baby James will always have a place in my heart. Have loved him since high school. Finally got to see him and Carole King in Nashville a couple years ago. Our seats weren't the best but it didn't matter. We knew all the words to every single song and the night was - well, almost magical for me. He still sounds the same as he did years ago - still smooth as silk. And, to hear him and Carole together - ahhh - Loved it! It was one of those shows that you wished would have gone on forever! (Kinda like each time I've seen the Eagles....)

I would have LOVED to see the reunion tour of JT and Carole King, but they didn't head this way. I have to settle for the DVD, which is awesome. The two of them are a perfect musical match, just like they were in the early '70's when she opened for him and played in his band. Great shows, those. Both of them are one-in-a-million talents, and we've been lucky enough that their circles have converged.

chaleymom
03-18-2014, 01:38 PM
I agree....they really compliment each other so well. I get chills just remembering the show. They've played that program (the one you probably have on DVD) a couple times on the PBS channel and each time it's on I have to watch it.

I checked online and James is coming to Columbus the end of June. Would really love to go see him - no matter where the seat are - but I need to think on it a bit. I already have two more concerts coming up this year and just don't know if I want to spend the money or not - plus, I really hate the drive to Columbus for an 8:00 show on a Sunday night. We'll see...

rick endres
03-18-2014, 02:14 PM
Do you live in Dayton, Chaleymom? Just up the street from here. I know what you mean; concerts aren't cheap - even for the so-called "cheap seats" - and I just don't like to drive all over anymore. When I was a kid, yeah. Now Cincy to Dayton is about my max! :hilarious:

chaleymom
03-18-2014, 04:14 PM
Yes I'm in Dayton - Miamisburg actually. It's probably 1:15 minutes to Columbus which is really not far - but on a Sunday evening for an 8:00 show, getting back home by 1:00ish then up at 6:00 - I'm getting too old for that!!!

We went to the Cincinnati show (Eagles) and even coming to Cincinnati sometimes can be a pain if there's a ball game in town (which thankfully there was NOT the evening we came). Did you see that show?

rick endres
03-19-2014, 11:23 AM
Yes I'm in Dayton - Miamisburg actually. It's probably 1:15 minutes to Columbus which is really not far - but on a Sunday evening for an 8:00 show, getting back home by 1:00ish then up at 6:00 - I'm getting too old for that!!!

We went to the Cincinnati show (Eagles) and even coming to Cincinnati sometimes can be a pain if there's a ball game in town (which thankfully there was NOT the evening we came). Did you see that show?

Miamisburg - nice area. My aunt lived in Fairborn near Wright-Patt. We'd shoot straight up I 675 to get there, right about where Dayton Mall is in Miamisburg.

Yes, we saw the Cincinnati show. We were pretty far up on the right side relative to the stage, but we were right above the stage and had a great view of the viewscreen - like watching a DVD...

ktdids
06-25-2015, 11:55 AM
Looks like his new album just got to number 1 on Billboard, ahead of the youngsters. Quite an achievement, which means I have to start my revisit of his work that I've been putting off for a while.

NightMistBlue
06-25-2015, 12:04 PM
VH1 recently showed a 30-minute documentary on the making of JT's latest album. Did you catch it? It was interesting - he has a recording studio on what looks like his home property, and a group of musicians who've been working with him for years. His wife Kim speaks a bit. He wrote a song about her called "You and I Again" that's really lovely.

AlreadyGone95
06-25-2015, 12:20 PM
James is a musician thst know enough about to own a greatest hits cd of. However, after reading about how good his new album is, I think that it might be time to change that. What's his best album to staet with? Is it the one with Fire and Rain? (Sweet Baby James I believe is the album? )

NightMistBlue
06-25-2015, 12:35 PM
Sweet Baby James was his first album in the U.S. I believe, released in 1970, and yep that's the one with "Fire and Rain." As a special bonus, Randy Meisner plays bass on "Country Road" and "Blossom."

I defer to the more knowledgeable folks to say what his best album is... personally, I enjoy his 70s hit singles: "Shower the People," "Your Smiling Face," "How Sweet It Is," etc.

Jonny Come Lately
06-25-2015, 05:33 PM
Congratulations to James Taylor on getting to #1 on the Billboard chart. I heard one of the new songs on the radio a couple of weeks ago and I thought it sounded pretty good. He has such a great voice, stately and calming. I saw a concert of his on TV a few years ago, he definitely still seemed to have 'it'.

If you think owning a compilation album would be enough, then I'd suggest his 1976 Greatest Hits album. This is the one I own, and is a very strong collection of songs. I don't own any of his albums but from reading about his career then I'd definitely suggest Sweet Baby James would be a fine starting point.

My favourite James Taylor song has to be the classic Fire And Rain, although I also really like Something In The Way She Moves, Carolina In My Mind, Country Road (some rather good bass playing there :thumbsup:) and Shower The People. I tend to prefer his more folk-rock/country-rock songs to the easy listening ones like Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight although he is good at both.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Wow - Congratulations to Sweet Baby James. That is an awesome accomplishment for an 'ole' guy this day and time! :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
11-20-2015, 04:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un-FO8iXCrA

LOL! This is so good.

LuvTim
11-20-2015, 08:31 PM
Just love James Taylor!! And this was so funny. Thanks, WF88!

Freypower
11-24-2015, 06:27 PM
Magnifique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDrsZCunf7E (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDrsZCunf7E)