PDA

View Full Version : Remastered Eagles' CDs

UK TimFan
12-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Firstly, apologies if the mods think this should be in another section of the forum. If so, please remove to a more appropriate place. :)

I've 'liked' the Eagles for a long time (got the cassette :grin: of 'Greatest Hits' to prove it), but completely fell in love with them about 18 months ago when I bought 'LROOE'. Wouldn't say I'm obsessive about them, but I do play their music (and that of Tim :smitten: and Don) almost exclusively.

I now want to buy their early stuff (Desperado, One of these nights, Eagles, On the border, Eagles Live, and The long run). Some, if not all of the albums, have been digitally remastered, and I'm debating if they are worth the extra money, as opposed to the cheaper 'original model'.

My stereo system, while being a very good model when it was bought, is now at least 20 years old, and is unlikely to be replaced in the foreseeable future. And most of the time I play my music on my laptop anyway, as the stereo is in another room.

The cost difference isn't that great for one CD, but when you multiply roughly $3.75 by 6 it does start to add up.

I would appreciate the opinions of other FMs.

sodascouts
12-07-2009, 03:39 AM
It seems some re-mastered CDs are over-hyped and don't make that much of a big difference to the listener, especially a listener with an old player. Sometimes I think all the "remasters" they put out are simply ways to trick fans into buying the same albums over and over again. However, without comparing them side by side, I can't really say how much of a discernible difference there is in sound quality.

Have you thought about getting the box set (linked below)? I have it and it's a terrific way to get the whole catalog at once - it includes all the original album artwork - even posters!

http://www.amazon.com/Asylum-Album-Box-Set-9CD/dp/B0007PAMLU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1260171503&sr=8-1

It doesn't include Hell Freezes Over, though (nor LROOE, obviously).

UK TimFan
12-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Thank you for your thoughts Soda.
Following your suggestion, I've spent the last couple of hours debating getting the boxed set. Much as I would love to get the set, I don't think I can justify the extra cost, especially when so many charities could put the 'dollar difference' to such good use.
On the other hand I could still indulge myself, and send off the 'dollar difference' as penance. :smile:
I might have to think about this for another couple of hours. :grin:
and I did spend more than that on a Barry Manilow boxed set in my (slightly) younger days. (Not quite sure which smilie is suitable after such a confession!)

MikeA
12-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Eat Drink and be Merry. You will be judged by the toys you accumulate <LOL>

Cosmic Cowboy
12-08-2009, 02:28 PM
I don't know if this is how it is everywhere else, but my local Walmart has all of the remastered Eagles 70's studio CDs, except Hotel California, for $7.00 each. I thought this was a pretty good deal considering they are at least $12.00-$18.00 at other stores. So I now have every 70's album.

sodascouts
12-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks Cosmic Cowboy - and welcome!

Glennsallnighter
12-13-2009, 06:30 PM
You could also trawl around eBay. Its easy to pick up an album for as little as $1.

Lisa
12-14-2009, 05:18 PM
The 2-CD set called The Very Best of the Eagles has a nice selection of old hits. It might be a good Christmas choice, too.

UK TimFan
12-15-2009, 08:33 AM
Well, I thought and then I thought some more, and after deciding that the airfare to Cowboy's local Walmart would probably negate any savings on the CDs :grin:, I opted for the cheaper option of the un-mastered CDs.
Much as I would have loved the box set, I wanted Disney's Peter Pan, Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty too, and there is only so much money I can sneak out of hubby's account before he notices. :shh:

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.

MrSpeaker
12-16-2009, 03:43 PM
I have just sold my originals on ebay so I could buy the Remasters.
They definately sound better. But why is it so difficult to track down
Hotel California as a remaster

sodascouts
12-16-2009, 07:25 PM
I have just sold my originals on ebay so I could buy the Remasters.
They definately sound better. But why is it so difficult to track down
Hotel California as a remaster

I didn't realize it was difficult, Mr. Speaker. Hmm! Don't know why that is.

I got the DVD-A, which is a great version, but of course limited player-wise.

Welcome, BTW!

Cosmic Cowboy
12-23-2009, 01:33 AM
I know you already made your decision, but I thought I would alert other members that the complete 1970's box set is $50 at Hastings. This seems like a great deal (its $130 on amazon). I wish I would have passed up buying the individual cds (I bought all the 1970's albums separately), and bought this. Its got all the albums plus the original LP artwork and the PCHFC Single.

sodascouts
12-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me - thanks!

NightMistBlue
07-07-2015, 01:28 PM
Have you thought about getting the box set (linked below)? I have it and it's a terrific way to get the whole catalog at once - it includes all the original album artwork - even posters!

Soda, or anyone who has the 9-CD box set, are these posters full-size? 'Cause if they are CD-sized, I will bust out crying.

Wish I'd found this thread earlier, before I bought each remastered CD individually as an import. I was (mis?) informed that the remastered CDs were not released in the U.S.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-07-2015, 01:37 PM
I don't have the version that Soda linked to. In fact, I can't find my version anywhere. Mine looks like the 'studio albums' version in that they came in a black box, however it has Live in it, as well as the single Please Come Home For Christmas/Funky New Year. All mine are miniature version of the LPs, including the posters. The print is so small in some, I have to use a magnifying glass to read them. But they are perfect replicas.

I realize this doesn't help you much, since mine isn't the same, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents anyway!

NightMistBlue
07-07-2015, 02:28 PM
It does help - and it sure sounds like you have the same box set, despite the different cover/black box. Some of the reviews on Amazon mentioned a different cover.

I wonder if the vinyl box set has the full-size posters.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-07-2015, 07:21 PM
To give you an idea, I took a photo with the CD for reference. The CD cover opens up just like the album and has the same picture inside.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/misc/IMG_20150707_191353091_zpscbcnip8k.jpg

NightMistBlue
07-08-2015, 08:52 AM
I could live with that! Think I'm gonna go for it.

Thank you for doing that, VA :thumbsup:

Ive always been a dreamer
12-17-2019, 11:02 AM
I'm reviving this old thread because I got an email from Amazon this morning and it looks like they have the 'black box' Eagles CD box set on sale for a bargain price of just over $20. For any of you who don't own all 6 of the original 1970's albums, you may want to check this out. It contains CD versions of the six albums packaged in replicas of their original album covers. I didn't have time to delve into the details, but it looks like there are a limited number available. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7VPKMY?ref=em_1p_3_im&ref_=pe_27562540_460535690

sodascouts
12-17-2019, 05:53 PM
I'm reviving this old thread because I got an email from Amazon this morning and it looks like they have the 'black box' Eagles CD box set on sale for a bargain price of just over $20. For any of you who don't own all 6 of the original 1970's albums, you may want to check this out. It contains CD versions of the six albums packaged in replicas of their original album covers. I didn't have time to delve into the details, but it looks like there are a limited number available. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7VPKMY?ref=em_1p_3_im&ref_=pe_27562540_460535690

This is an incredible bargain. It has little recreations of all of the album art, including posters, tucked into each recreated album cover... I LOVE this box set, and paid over $100 for mine... I have no regrets. Unbelievable that this costs only $20!

WalshFan88
12-17-2019, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the PSA, Dreamer!

Just ordered it.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-21-2019, 12:39 PM
I hope you enjoy this, Austin. Like Soda, I love mine - it is probably my favorite official release by the band.

I went back and looked at Amazon again and I think this is a little different from the original release. I had forgotten that the original release was a limited edition, which contributed to the high cost. I waited a bit before I bought mine, so I didn't pay full price. I can't remember what I paid, but I'm sure it's on this board somewhere. lol I wanna say I paid somewhere in the $60 range. But, still, it is so worth it.

It looks like the main differences are that we got 8 CDs (the 6 originals, plus Eagles Live, and one with Please Come Home for Christmas and Funky New Year. As said before, the CD covers were cardboard replicas of the original covers, including the poster inserts. I think this offer has just the 6 albums and I'm not sure if they are packaged the same. But, irregardless, it's still a great deal and I don't think anyone that buys this would be disappointed if it is sold as advertised.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY LISTENING!