PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of "Hotel California" Album!

Pages : 1 [2]

Funk 50
12-27-2016, 07:15 AM
I suppose, who's playing it, counts for more than what instrument is used. That's why Felder played Hotel California on a double-neck. Maybe why Felder didn't see his sacking coming too.

Even today, the iconic image of Don Felder, for me, is him playing Hotel California on the white double neck. Not so sure about Joe, probably playing slide on Rocky Mountain Way. Tim is I Can't Tell You Why of course! Henley singing and drumming on Hotel California, Glenn strumming an acoustic and singing Take It Easy or Peaceful Easy Feeling, Randy hitting the high notes at the end of Take It To the Limit, Bernie is a bit more difficult to pinpoint, I'll opt for pickin' the banjo on Earlybird. :shrug: Sadly, they're all ancient images. I really can't think of a recent iconic image of the band. :sigh:

In trying to put the focus back on to Hotel California, I've strayed even further off topic. :roll:

I still hope they do something to acknowledge (cash-in on) the fortieth anniversary of the Eagles most enduring classic album. :bye:

Delilah
12-27-2016, 01:14 PM
I've recently read an interview with Randy, in which he says the bass part on Hotel California was Felder's. Randy played it on the album but it was very difficult bass part to play and sing at the same time, which would explain why the live versions from both Randy and Tim don't match the album version.

As Chaim pointed out, the part Travelnman referred to is the staccato bassline or whatever it is called and there are no vocals at that point. And Randy said it took a long time to learn to sing and play at the same time, not that he never learned it.

As far as iconic images go, I would say playing his B-bender on PEF and Tequila Sunrise is Bernie's. I'm glad their images are "ancient" from a time it was just 4-5 guys on stage doing it all themselves without a lot of extra personnel in the background.

thelastresort
12-27-2016, 07:07 PM
My iconic Bernie image is just him plucking away on the banjo, be it Earlybird, Midnight Flyer, Twenty-One or Rocky Mountain Breakdown (which is I believe what they segued into after Earlybird). That said mind, I am also a fan of his B-bender work and his PEF solo particularly. I always thought he brought more of a concept to the band rather than a specific selling point. It is undoubtedly he who made them so countrified in the first two albums.

Anyway, back to Hotel California...

Funk 50
12-30-2016, 11:34 AM
As Chaim pointed out, the part Travelnman referred to is the staccato bassline or whatever it is called and there are no vocals at that point. And Randy said it took a long time to learn to sing and play at the same time, not that he never learned it.

Randy learnt it off Don Felder. I like that bass part too. I can't even recall cover band bassists playing it. Don skips the double hit on the snare, from the recorded version, too. :neutral:. Maybe they just want all the focus on the guitars rather than the sound getting too cluttered. It still is amazing live. :nod:

During the climax of Take It To the Limit, the sound guys used to turn Randy's mic up as loud as it would go to get that extra shred of intensity. :woah:

shunlvswx
12-08-2017, 06:43 PM
Happy 41st Birthday to Hotel California. My favorite album. Not one song on there I don't like.

Delilah
12-09-2017, 04:51 PM
Happy Anniversary to the Eagles’ highest-rated best-selling studio album!!

It’s still moving units today, thanks to the 40th Anniversary re-release.

The Billboard 200 chart ranks the week’s most popular albums based on their overall consumption. That overall unit figure combines pure album sales, track equivalent albums (TEA) and streaming equivalent albums (SEA).

Now, let’s take a closer look at some of the action on the latest Billboard 200 chart:

— Eagles, Hotel California – No. 44 — After the classic No. 1 album was remastered and reissued to celebrate its 40th anniversary, it returns to the list at No. 44 (15,000 units; up 1,424 percent). The bulk of the album’s units were driven by traditional album sales: 12,000 (up 1,292 percent). The revamped edition includes a selection of live recordings from a 1976 concert at The Forum in Los Angeles. For sales tracking and charting purposes, all versions of Hotel California — new and old — are linked together. The original album spent eight weeks at No. 1 on the chart in 1977, and a total of seven months in the top 40. It launched the Billboard Hot 100 hit singles “New Kid in Town” (No. 1), the title track (No. 1) and “Life in the Fast Lane” (No. 11).
“Billboard 200 Chart Moves: Eagles' 'Hotel California' Returns After 40th Anniversary Reissue” Billboard, Dec. 8, 2017 (https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8062656/billboard-200-chart-moves-eagles-hotel-california-returns)

sodascouts
12-10-2017, 01:35 AM
Happy belated birthday to Hotel California!

Ive always been a dreamer
12-08-2018, 01:09 PM
HAPPY 42ND ANNIVERSARY TO HOTEL CALIFORNIA!!!

As we celebrate the anniversary this week, it's hard to come up with something different that hasn't already been said about this album thousands of times. So, suffice it to say that I believe that this is the band's crowning achievement - strong from start to finish and, IMHO, one of the top ten best rock and roll albums of all time.

sodascouts
12-08-2018, 01:54 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOTEL CALIFORNIA!

I wish we could have a board style for it, but I still haven't figured out how to make that work for this board.

Instead, I'm going to give it an anniversary listen in celebration.

I was just thinking the other day how sophisticated the harmonies on "New Kid in Town" are. This album goes beyond "rock" is so many ways.

CAinOH
12-08-2018, 02:31 PM
Happy Birthday, Hotel California!

Definitely merits a new listen (or two)...

shunlvswx
12-08-2018, 09:05 PM
Happy 42nd Birthday to the Hotel California album. My favorite album.

Also happy belated 42nd Birthday to New Kid In Town on yesterday. My favorite song sung by Glenn. This is one of my top 5 album songs.

New Kid In Town
12-08-2018, 09:11 PM
HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY HOTEL CALIFORNIA ! Dreamer, I agree, their crowning achievement and one of the best rock albums ever. Not a bad song on the album. Soda, I agree about the sophisticated the harmonies on "New Kid in Town". It won the Grammy for musical arrangement, and should have won for best vocal performance by a group.

CAinOH
12-09-2018, 12:20 AM
‘Hotel California’ Producer on the Making of the LP:

https://bestclassicbands.com/bill-szymczyk-interview-11-21-17/?fbclid=IwAR1ICOuCngyMRfqnfoy_17sM7oRYQiA8wC41PPXY AF2CCjjNyPtgojksGiY

sodascouts
12-11-2018, 11:42 PM
Thanks for that. Interesting read and I liked that they included links to audio as well.

01-16-2019, 12:32 PM
Just like to acknowledge that it was on this day in 1977 that the Hotel California album hit #1 on the billboard charts. But, as with most of the Eagles' catalog, the album met with mixed reviews from critics at the time. Who would know that it would go on to be considered one of the best albums ever recorded and the 3rd best-selling album of all time.

sodascouts
01-16-2019, 10:46 PM
Just like to acknowledge that it was on this day in 1977 that the Hotel California album hit #1 on the billboard charts. But, as with most of the Eagles' catalog, the album met with mixed reviews from critics at the time. Who would know that it would go on to be considered one of the best albums ever recorded and the 3rd best-selling album of all time.
Hard to believe it wasn't appreciated. At least critics give the Eagles their props now.

FreyFollower
01-17-2019, 02:32 AM
Hard to believe it wasn't appreciated. At least critics give the Eagles their props now.

It reminds me of the Bob Costas interview that Glenn did. His theory was that the critics feared if they liked something that was so popular with the general public, they would no longer be the "arbiters of taste". :nod:

01-17-2019, 10:55 AM
I think Glenn's theory re: the critics just about clocks it! :grin:

Brooke
01-17-2019, 02:10 PM
Love this album!

I've always heard if the critics like it it's no good! :lol:

WalshFan88
01-17-2019, 08:23 PM
This is their masterpiece IMO. Them moving to a rock direction instead of country rock was a wise choice and getting Felder and Walsh together replacing Leadon was also a brilliant move. This is their shining star.

I love, love, love this album. HC is still my favorite song but I absolutely love NKIT, VOL, LITFL, etc. NKIT has really grown on me over the years. I think it's my second favorite after HC now. Amazing record.

Mike76
02-17-2019, 02:36 AM
Would HC be the first studio album ever to have every song off the album represented on a compilation in either studio or live version's?View Complete Works listing.

02-17-2019, 12:12 PM
As I replied in the other thread that you started, the 'Selected Works' compilation is the band's only such release to include all the songs off of an entire album, which, in this case, is Hotel California.

shunlvswx
12-08-2019, 01:44 PM
Happy 43rd Birthday to Hotel California. Looking forward to seeing the Hotel California tour last year a week after my birthday.

Happy Belated 43rd Birthday to New Kid In Town on yesterday.

WalshFan88
12-08-2019, 03:40 PM
Part for part, the best album the Eagles ever made, objectively and subjectively speaking. Their true concept album masterpiece IMO. Rock n' roll music has a much broader audience than country music and there is no surprise that their new more accessible classic rock sound took them to heights they'd never dreamed, despite having success with the previous albums. Even Hillary Clinton in her interview with Howard Stern last week talked about how she loved rock music. I was surprised but it was just another reason to love her. I think it just shows that while some really do love old country music, it had a much smaller fanbase than straight-down-the-pike rock and roll. People that were country could like it, and city people could. Just goes to show that rock and roll reaches far more people than country, at least until country started shifting into a more palatable sound that incorporated rock and pop and rnb music influences. Now country is huge, but back then when you had Merle Haggard and Waylon Jennings, the Eagles in their full on classic AOR rock period was far easier on the ears and rock didn't paint you into a redneck, small town frame of mind. It could appeal to all types that were open to it. It was fun and lighthearted for the most part. For me I'll take that every day over deep, thought-provoking lyric and slow music. HC had it's two or so ballads, but mostly had a rock sound, even NKIT was far more soft rock to me than country/country rock.

thelastresort
12-08-2019, 05:08 PM
Art is entirely subjective though, it isn't a definite binary that can be determined better or worse. I don't care if a larger range of people like something - you're an individual, who gives one what someone else likes; more generally you only have to look at politics both in the UK and US over the past half decade to ascertain that just because a lot of people endorse something doesn't mean it's actually good!

I enjoy the deeper, more complex emotional elements to music - Western society in general is so trite and shallow these days we need an escape with a bit of depth and colour - hence my enjoyment of everything from Bob Dylan via the Eagles to Bathory, and my utter disdain for vapid tosh like *hitesnake and Bon Jovi.

But that's just my opinion. No right nor wrong. There is no hierarchy nor meritocracy to music. It's the widest expanse of art in the entire world. And just as Dali wasn't Constable, the Carter Family isn't Florida Georgia Line; nor is Desperado Hotel California. Neither should be admonished for that fact.

WalshFan88
12-08-2019, 05:20 PM
Art is entirely subjective though, it isn't a definite binary that can be determined better or worse. I don't care if a larger range of people like something - you're an individual, who gives one what someone else likes; more generally you only have to look at politics both in the UK and US over the past half decade to ascertain that just because a lot of people endorse something doesn't mean it's actually good!

I enjoy the deeper, more complex emotional elements to music - Western society in general is so trite and shallow these days we need an escape with a bit of depth and colour - hence my enjoyment of everything from Bob Dylan via the Eagles to Bathory, and my utter disdain for vapid tosh like *hitesnake and Bon Jovi.

But that's just my opinion. No right nor wrong. There is no hierarchy nor meritocracy to music. It's the widest expanse of art in the entire world. And just as Dali wasn't Constable, the Carter Family isn't Florida Georgia Line; nor is Desperado Hotel California. Neither should be admonished for that fact.

As far as the "just because a lot of people endorse something doesn't mean it's actually good" comment - you determining it that way is, actually, also subjective. So there's that!:rofl:And I actually agree with you on the state of politics in the US! It's like those who bash popular music. In my opinion for a song to be a hit, people must like it. If that many people like it, it must at the very least be legit to some. I may hate it.

To me my head is already such a deep and complex place, I look to the shallow and trite to get an escape. Music to me is entertainment, and not as much art. Entertainment should be uplifting, not something that bums you out. Comedians are trying to get you out of your head space. That's what music should be, IMO. TEHO. But to me I see it as entertainment in the same fashion a movie might be. There is some damn good "art" in making people laugh or have fun. It seems easier on the surface than it actually is. Just ask any comedian who's done it. Sometimes you fall on your face. But those who can are just as legit.

And just to clear the air, I'm definitely more in the Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Florida Georgia Line, and Hotel California camp!

At least here in the US - things are already very deep. Yes, shallow, but a lot of stress. I look to music as a way to think less, not more. An escape, like you said, but an escape to be less melancholy and serious.

thelastresort
12-08-2019, 05:54 PM
As far as the "just because a lot of people endorse something doesn't mean it's actually good" comment - you determining it that way is, actually, also subjective. So there's that!:rofl:

Except that I did not qualify whether or not I agreed with any of it being 'actually good', it is a widespread acknowledgment that millions do not. So there's that!

Anyway, bored of all this now. Same tiresome arguments, different day. I'm off for a while.

Ta.

WalshFan88
12-08-2019, 06:02 PM
Except that I did not qualify whether or not I agreed with any of it being 'actually good', it is a widespread acknowledgment that millions do not. So there's that!

Anyway, bored of all this now. Same tiresome argument, different day. I'm off for a while.

Ta.

I sent you a PM explaining what I meant as not to derail this thread.

Delilah
12-08-2019, 07:04 PM
Good grief! Why can’t people simply enjoy music without being stereotyped and categorized in neat little boxes? It’s very telling when it’s not enough to say, “I don’t care for that genre of music” but it must go farther than that with digs at those enjoy that genre.

FWIW, Merle Haggard is generally considered a legend, a status that I cannot imagine will ever be bestowed on Bon Jovi or Whitesnake.

And Hillary Clinton is 72 years old! Her generation came of age in the classic rock era.

Anyway, bored of all this now. Same tiresome arguments, different day. I'm off for a while.

Ta.

Same here.

sodascouts
12-09-2019, 01:11 AM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY HOTEL CALIFORNIA!!!

A landmark album!

New Kid In Town
12-09-2019, 11:48 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO HOTEL CALIFORNIA ! I loved this album from the first time I heard it on the radio. A true classic and the number 3 selling album of all time in the US. If I had one complaint it would be that Glenn should have had more songs. He could have easily sung LITFL. And, TALA is the sleeper of the album. Randy did a beautiful job on the song. It is one of my favs from the album. Had Randy not left the band it was supposed to be released as a single after NKIT & HC. It would have been top five for sure.

02-27-2020, 10:35 PM
This is Grammy month, so I thought I would acknowledge the Grammy's for each of the band's albums or singles off of the album. So for this album ...

On Feb. 18, 1977 - Hotel California (the single) won the Grammy for record of the year and New Kid In Town won for best vocal arrangement.

To say these were well-deserved is a huge understatement. The album should have won more than two awards, IMO, but I'll take it.

New Kid In Town
02-28-2020, 12:16 PM
This is Grammy month, so I thought I would acknowledge the Grammy's for each of the band's albums or singles off of the album. So for this album ...

On Feb. 18, 1977 - Hotel California (the single) won the Grammy for record of the year and New Kid In Town won for best vocal arrangement.

To say these were well-deserved is a huge understatement. The album should have won more than two awards, IMO, but I'll take it.

I agree Dreamer ! NKIT should have won for best vocal performance by a group. They were up against FM, who won album of the year. Both great albums. It would have been cool if both had tied and won for album of the year - they BOTH deserved it.

Glennsallnighter
02-29-2020, 08:40 PM

And while not HC realated on February 28th 1976 (my 8th birthday!!) they won the Grammy for Lyin Eyes

chaim
03-05-2020, 02:23 PM
Can't express in words how much I adore NKIT.

03-05-2020, 09:20 PM
Can't express in words how much I adore NKIT.

AMEN!

shunlvswx
12-08-2020, 09:32 AM
Happy 44th Birthday to Hotel California. My favorite Eagles album.

RushFanForever
12-08-2020, 04:52 PM
I haven't posted much on here, but I recently received a notification in my inbox from the EaglesOnlineCentral forum wishing me a Happy Birthday.

I was born on the release date of the Hotel California album.

CAinOH
12-08-2020, 06:14 PM
I haven't posted much on here, but I recently received a notification in my inbox from the EaglesOnlineCentral forum wishing me a Happy Birthday.

I was born on the release date of the Hotel California album.

Happy Birthday!

Delilah
12-08-2020, 09:03 PM
Happy birthday, RFF!

Heres a Rock History Music video to celebrate the album, “10 Things You Didn’t Know About Hotel California.”

There were actually two of these I didn’t know: one regarding Glenn’s experience recording LITFL and the band recording The Last Resort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUlwHseQRHU

sodascouts
12-09-2020, 12:12 AM
Happy birthday, Hotel California!

sodascouts
12-09-2020, 12:13 AM
Happy birthday, RFF!

Heres a Rock History Music video to celebrate the album, “10 Things You Didn’t Know About Hotel California.”

There were actually two of these I didn’t know: one regarding Glenn’s experience recording LITFL and the band recording The Last Resort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUlwHseQRHU

just when you think you know it all, eh? Always fun to watch these videos!

12-09-2020, 12:42 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY HOTEL CALIFORNIA!!!

A day late, but I can't forget to recognize the date that one of the greatest albums ever recorded was released. by one of the greatest bands ever.

And I also enjoyed the video ... thanks for finding that, Delilah.

New Kid In Town
12-09-2020, 10:51 PM
Happy Anniversary to Hotel California !
Love this Album ! I remember when it came it - it was a massive hit and played non stop(so to speak) on the radio. Every song on the album is first class. Guess you know my favorite.;) But, I love them all !
:cheers: to the number 3 best selling album of all time in the USA.

KingWalsh
12-10-2020, 10:00 AM
I can't express how special this album is! When I was a kid we would play the vinyl all the time, (my moms, which is now mine) i had the poster on my wall. It is such a part of my life. Cherish it so much!!

Elle81
12-11-2020, 08:31 PM
Happy anniversary Hotel California!
It's very rare when I find an album where I like every single song on it. I don't even mind The Last Resort being somewhat preachy. The melody is so beautiful, it overrides the subject matter.
In regards to the title track, on WatchMojo's Top 10 Eagles song countdown they said that "Hotel California is the signature song to which all other signature songs are judged."

WalshFan88
12-08-2021, 02:05 PM
Happy 45th Birthday to Hotel California!

The band's best album and masterpiece in my and many others opinion. What an amazing record top to bottom with no skippable tracks. A fine mix of soft and hard rock hits.

The band made the right call by switching to straight-ahead AOR rock. It showed that they could still have their country tinged moments like NKIT but that they were best suited as a rock n' roll band and where they shined. I've often said getting rid of Bernie Leadon and bringing in Joe Walsh to play alongside Don Felder was the smartest move they ever made. Nothing against Bernie personally, but I've always felt while he was a founding member, he was never the right guy for the band and I think Hotel California shows that to be true. I disagreed with Glyn Johns that the Eagles couldn't rock and should stick to their Silver Dagger-era sound. They could rock as hard as Led Zeppelin when they chose to do so. This pivotal album changed the Eagles into a rock n' roll supergroup of sorts, filled to the brim with a guitar focus to go alongside the classic harmonies. As a vocal band their guitar prowess often gets overlooked, but I've always said the Eagles were a guitar band as much as a vocal band, but that most didn't realize or appreciate that side of them. A few things had to happen. One, replacing Glyn Johns with Bill Szymczyk. Adding a third guitarist (Don Felder). And to complete that, replacing Leadon with Walsh. Once that transformation took place, it propelled the Eagles to heights they never had even thought possible. They were a well known band, but HC made them rock legends!

chaim
12-09-2021, 08:53 AM
interesting how differently people hear things. Personally I feel that HC is a softer album than their previous albums. I feel that OTB has a lot more edge. 😄 Of course I'm only talking about albums, not live work.

WalshFan88
12-09-2021, 02:37 PM
interesting how differently people hear things. Personally I feel that HC is a softer album than their previous albums. I feel that OTB has a lot more edge. 😄 Of course I'm only talking about albums, not live work.

I definitely feel HC is a soft and hard rock album. Soft rock in the sense of NKIT or TLR, hard rock in the sense of VOL or LITFL. And straight down the pike rock n' roll with Hotel California (title track), etc. But songs like LITFL or VOL wouldn't exist without Joe Walsh's entrance in the band and the interplay between Walsh and Felder. VOL's slide solo, etc.

OTB had its moments with Already Gone and James Dean but I like the fact that Hotel California has very little country tinged moments, mainly only NKIT. As someone who wouldn't cry if he never heard another Merle Haggard song in his life and cannot personally understand why anyone would like that stuff and only likes contemporary modern country that is more repackaged 80s rock and pop, I definitely can do without the Tequila Sunrises and The Best Of My Loves and all of that. Tear in my beer soft twang is ick to me. I'm a rocker through and through! :grin: Rock n' roll music is also more broadly appealing, especially when you factor in not only hard rock but also soft rock, pop rock, etc.

chaim
12-09-2021, 06:27 PM
Good Day In Hell is a song this lineup could have made a great recording of. I just listened to an interview with Glenn and Felder from 1980. I was surprised to hear that Felder played the slide part with the band when they cut the basic tracks. I always thought it was an overdub.

Incidentally, Genn also implied in that interview that Felder's only contribution to Already Gone was the lead part on top of Glenn's solo. But I'm way off-topic now!

12-09-2021, 06:28 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO HOTEL CALIFORNIA!!!

I always said that the true genius of this legendary band is that they were able to perform almost any genre of music at an exceptionally high level.

12-26-2021, 01:21 PM
On Christmas Day in 1976, the Hotel California album was certified Platinum. I just happened to run across this article the other day, so I thought I'd post it to once again recognize one of the best albums ever recorded. It is a list of the 25 Greatest Opening Lines to Songs and is compiled in date order of each song's release. Hotel California is on slide #12 ...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/the-25-greatest-opening-lines-to-songs/ss-BB1gmr8k?ocid=msedgntp#image=1

As usual, I don't agree with all of the choices, but, overall, it's a pretty decent list and Hotel California definitely deserves to have a spot on it.

shunlvswx
02-23-2022, 01:03 AM
Happy 45th Birthday to the single Hotel California.

FreyFollower
02-23-2022, 01:23 PM
Happy Anniversary to the Hotel California single! But hey, it can't have been 45 years ago, because I was in High School......:laugh:

shunlvswx
12-09-2022, 12:12 AM
Happy 46th Birthday to Hotel California.