PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of "Hotel California" Album!

Pages : [1] 2

sodascouts
12-08-2009, 01:31 AM
33 years ago today, Hotel California was released just in time for the Christmas buying season of 1976.

It was their biggest success and the album for which they became best known. It was career-altering both by taking them to the pinnacle and then by hastening their dissolution due to the toll of the ever-intensifying pressure they felt to outdo themselves.

With the addition of Joe Walsh and the loss of Leadon, they finally placed themselves firmly on the "rock" side of "country rock." They made the transition with a bang. There isn't a weak song on the album (though admittedly I believe some of them are a bit overrated, as I'll detail later).

So, Hotel California, happy anniversary! Let's have some pink champagne on ice and say "Here's to you!"

Super Frey
12-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Happy Anniversary to the Hotel, it's my fave album:band:

Freypower
12-08-2009, 08:22 PM
I feel I should make some comments about this landmark album which I think changed my life, but what to say? Probably I should comment more on how I feel about it these days.

Hotel California - there has never been a song like this and never will be again. It's an extraordinary journey through a surreal world of shadowy figures and a hint of paranoia. All members of the band shine here from Glenn's 12 string acoustic to the monumental guitar duel to Don's superb vocals and drumming (the phrase 'vicious cymbals' is apt here).

New Kid In Town - achingly perfect dissection of a career, a relationship, whichever. The Mexican/Spanish feel of it complements the title track and draws you further into the murky world of Southern California. I love how they hark back to California's early Spanish heritage here. To me now, despite the fact that it went to Number One and won a Grammy, the song is underrated. It is a jewel in the band's crown.

Life In The Fast Lane - the hard rock anthem which is now almost as career defining as the title track. Love Glenn's clavinet (shades of Superstition & Trampled Under Foot) as well as Joe's awesome guitar work and the cynical lyrics. The melancholy and sense of loss in NKIT descends into the bitter recriminations found here as well as the sense of people driving over the edge.

Wasted Time - I thought this was one of the most insightful songs I had ever heard for years, but I'm afraid time has dulled its impact. The piano and vocal duet recalls Desperado and the closing harmonies are nice but overall the song is an example of Don's domination of the album. It remains one of his finest lyrics - it just has not aged well in my opinion.

Wasted Time/Reprise - nice touch to recall the Desperado album and it does remind you that the song has a beautiful melody too.

Victim Of Love - great track with some nice guitar work and more cynical lyrics (maybe a bit too much so- perhaps if Glenn had sung a couple of lines it would have made for an interesting contrast).

Pretty Maids All In A Row - this is perhaps my second favourite lyric after New Kid In Town. It's just magnificent with Joe's slide guitar and his rueful voice, with those impeccably arranged harmonies washing over you. Why do we grow up so fast, indeed? What happened to all the promise of the early years? (There are similar themes expressed in every other song on this album, but PMAIAR does it very succinctly).

Try And Love Again - the sleeper of the album, with superb lead guitar by Glenn, beautiful harmonies and Randy's aching lead. We've all been where this song goes.

The Last Resort - Don's epic. Once more, he dominates it, unfortunately at the rest of the band's expense (I have never understood why Glenn at least did not play piano for the HFO version). I know some poeple find the lyrics rather tendentious if not sanctimonious as he tries to tell the entire history of the state and ends by attacking organised religion. I nevertheless feel the closing lines 'you call some place paradise/kiss it goodbye' sum up the album.

sodascouts
12-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Very well-written review, FP. I'll try to do one later, although I don't think I can top yours!

TimothyBFan
12-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Life In The Fast Lane - the hard rock anthem which is now almost as career defining as the title track. Love Glenn's clavinet (shades of Superstition & Trampled Under Foot) as well as Joe's awesome guitar work and the cynical lyrics.

FP--I LOVED your whole review. I won't even try my own, especially after reading yours. Spot on. But I must say this above really got my attention "shades of Superstition & Trampled Under Foot"... hmmm- I will be listening to this today and listening a little closer than usual because of that one line. Very interesting and, I'm sure, very true.

GlennLover
12-09-2009, 11:51 AM
My clock radio woke me up with with "Life In The Fast Lane". Great song to get you moving on a sleepy day!

Koala
12-09-2009, 01:18 PM
FP, I've really enjoyed reading your review!
I love the whole album, there are so many really really good songs on this album!!!! :thumbsup::bow::grooving:

chaim
12-09-2009, 03:08 PM
I love the atmosphere on this album, and the tunes are not bad either! Even though I seem to prefer the more rough and perhaps less safe material of the early days. Desperado is my favourite. I tend to say to people that New Kid in Town is THE perfect pop song. Everything is in place and even the modulation, which usually is treated in a rather idiotic manner in pop music, is part of the composition here. I mean that it doesn't sound like "alright, now the same thing a minor third higher", but more like a little passage which "happens to modulate".
About the 12-string on the title track. If I remember correctly, Don has said in some guitar magazine that HE played it. He also played that part live, although with an electric 12-string. I don't seem to hear the part that Glenn plays live (capo 2nd fret) on the original version. I've always wondered what Glenn plays on this track.

Freypower
12-09-2009, 06:25 PM
I have had discussions about which instrument Glenn plays on HC before. Of COURSE Felder is going to claim that he plays the 12 string acoustic. (I wasn't referring to the opening section which I guess has to be Felder).Maybe so. You can hear some acoustic strumming if you listen hard enough which surely must be Glenn, once Felder and Joe get to their electric parts. I mean really - he had to play SOMETHING on it. He does play a 12 string acoustic part now when they play it live, perhaps that is what I should have said.

TBF, the clavinet sound is very distinctive, as it is in the two songs I mentioned (both of which were recorded before LITFL). It is not as obvious in LITFL because the guitars are so prominent. It's really a rhythm part - as far as I know he never played keyboards on this song live, but I thought it was worth mentioning because it is usually overlooked.

Another interesting thing about the album is that in the period 1977-1978 it made the Eagles the biggest band in the world, along with Fleetwood Mac, because their only serious competetion, Led Zeppelin, were out of action at the time.

chaim
12-10-2009, 07:04 AM
I have had discussions about which instrument Glenn plays on HC before. Of COURSE Felder is going to claim that he plays the 12 string acoustic. (I wasn't referring to the opening section which I guess has to be Felder).Maybe so. You can hear some acoustic strumming if you listen hard enough which surely must be Glenn, once Felder and Joe get to their electric parts. I mean really - he had to play SOMETHING on it. He does play a 12 string acoustic part now when they play it live, perhaps that is what I should have said.

I'm sorry, I thought you meant the main acoustic guitar that starts the song. Yes, there definitely are some "extra" strumming acoustic guitars that appear at least in the choruses. As I recall, Felder starts to strum the chords too at one point with his 12-string; I think that's when the guitar harmonies come in. But some of the stumming parts appear only in the choruses, so they must be Glenn, yeah.
I'm afraid it may be me with whom you've had that conversation before about what Glenn plays in Hotel California. I asked this question in another forum a couple of years ago.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-18-2009, 02:54 PM
I know I’m late on this and I am sorry I missed the Hotel California celebration week here on The Border. However, I feel I must revive this thread to comment on what I believe to be one of the top ten best rock and roll albums ever recorded. I'll continue using the same scale to rate the songs on this album as I did for the other album anniversary celebrations. I said many times that I think Hotel California is the pinnacle of the band’s genious. There are simply no bad songs here, IMO. I love the way that every song is very different, yet, they all come together so well thematically to make such a cohesive album. The album showcases every band members’ individual talents so beautifully. My one and only criticism is that Henley dominates the vocals a bit too much. I think it would have come across as more of a collaborative effort for the band even if Glenn had one more lead vocal. Which one??? – Life In the Fast Lane. I have heard him sing the song and he really does it justice. I’m not saying it would have been better, but I think the song would have been equally as good with Glenn as the lead vocalist. I don’t have time right now to comment on each song. I think FP already summed up most of my thoughts. The only thing I disagree with her about is the aging of Wasted Time. To me, the song is just as beautiful and appropriate today as it was when I heard it 33 years ago. As I’ve said before, every song on the album is superb and timeless. So here they are in the order that I love them …

1. Hotel California - 5+
2. New Kid In Town - 5+
3. Life In the Fast Lane - 5
4. Wasted Time - 5
5. Try and Love Again - 5
6. Victim of Love - 5
7. Pretty Maids All In a Row - 4
8. The Last Resort - 4

key:
5 - I love it
4 - I really like it
3 - I like it
2 - meh
1 - yikes

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY HOTEL CALIFORNIA!!!

sodascouts
12-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Oh my gosh, I can't believe I forgot to do my review of this! It's just that with all the holiday rush... I'll get to it, though.

12-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Well - I thought I'd go ahead and revive this thread to officially say ...

HAPPY 34th ANNIVERSARY HOTEL CALIFORNIA!!!

This is one of the best albums in the history of rock and roll. To celebrate, we just finished a Survivor Game for this incredible album with a lot of spirited debate about the songs. There are very few albums that are superb from statrt to finish, but this is definitely one of them, IMHO. It is very worthy of all the accolades it so often receives.

sodascouts
12-08-2010, 11:51 PM
I'm listening to the DVD-A version (http://www.5point1.com/CLASSIC_ROCK-EAGLES_Hotel_California_5_1_DVD_Audio.html) of it now (released back when remixing albums and putting them on a DVD to make the most of surround sound was trendy). It sounds SO FREAKING COOL to hear distinct, clear-as-a-bell sounds and voices coming out of all the different speakers - it's like you're right there in the middle of the guys playing and singing. I recommend it to anyone who loves this album hardcore.

ETA: Holy crap - just looked it up on Amazon and it costs $189! Glad I got it back when it was readily available and thus affordable!

TimothyBFan
12-09-2010, 08:56 AM
I don't have that version but I know exactly what you mean!! That's why we love vinyl soooooo very much! With a great set of speakers, you get all those different sounds coming at you from different directions and it's unbelievably fantastic!!!

05-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Even though this thread is to celebrate the Hotel California album, I thought I'd take an opportunity to recognize some milestones for the iconic song. On May 7th, 1977 the Hotel California single hit #1 on the Billboard charts, and on May 12th of that year, the single went gold. It sure never looked back, and has gone on to be considered one of the best rock and roll songs ever. I would have to agree!!! :bow:

WalshFan88
05-12-2011, 01:50 PM
YAY for Hotel California!!!!! :partytime: The best song and album of all time! The biggest masterpiece in music!!!! :D

EaglesKiwi
05-13-2011, 04:28 AM
On May 7th, 1977 the Hotel California single hit #1 on the Billboard charts, and on May 12th of that year, the single went gold. It sure never looked back, and has gone on to be considered one of the best rock and roll songs ever. I would have to agree!!! :bow:

Yep, absolutely agree :headbang::rockguitar:

Also one of the most recognised & commercially successful rock & roll songs (which doesn't always happen even when well deserved) - and still attracting a new audience (My 6-year old can sing along with it!).

StephUK
05-14-2011, 06:13 PM
The album that made the Eagles a household name in England! and also the one that got me really into the Eagles. Congratulations Hotel California - been 'living it up' with the Eagles ever since then:thumbsup:

sodascouts
12-08-2011, 01:59 AM
Happy 35th Birthday to HOTEL CALIFORNIA!!!

whitcap
12-08-2011, 02:00 AM
Hotel California was released 35 years ago today!

Here's my ranking of the songs from favorite to least favorite:

1. Try and Love Again
2. Pretty Maids All In a Row
3. Victim of Love
4. Wasted Time/Wasted Time (Reprise)
5. Life in the Fast Lane
6. New Kid in Town
7. Hotel California
8. The Last Resort

sodascouts
12-08-2011, 02:04 AM
My ranking:

1. New Kid in Town
2. Pretty Maids All in a Row
3. Victim of Love
4. Hotel California
5. Life in the Fast Lane
6. Wasted Time
7. Try and Love Again
8. The Last Resort
9. Wasted Time Reprise (I actually think this instrumental piece is very beautifully arranged, but as it's a reprise of an earlier song, I went ahead and put it last)

WalshFan88
12-08-2011, 02:04 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOTEL CALIFORNIA! :birthday::birthday::birthday:

Like the State Fair, you get bigger and better every year. I love you so much and you are the reason I'm still alive today. If it weren't for your amazing songs and your amazing music I would not be here nor would I be the successful guitarist I am today. Thanks to the Eagles for making this album and especially to Joe Walsh for inspiring a geetar player like little old me! :hilarious:

I rank the songs as such:

1. Hotel California.
2. Life In The Fast Lane
3. Victim Of Love
4. New Kid In Town
5. Pretty Maids All In A Row
6. Wasted Time
7. Try and Love Again
8. The Last Resort
9. Wasted Time (reprise)

Henleyfan
12-08-2011, 02:13 AM
Congratulations Hotel California!!

I believe this is one of the greatest albums EVER!

Here is my ranking:
1. Hotel California.
2. Life In The Fast Lane
3. The Last Resort
4. Wasted Time
5. Victim Of Love
6. New Kid In Town
7. Pretty Maids All In A Row
8. Try and Love Again
9. Wasted Time (reprise)

Glennsallnighter
12-08-2011, 03:29 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOTEL CALIFORNIA

I definitely think that this album is one of the greatest written by our boys, and also one of the most iconic ones ever written. mention the Eagles as a band to any ofbthe general masses and the first question they come back with is 'oh, like did they sing HOTEL CALIFORNIA?' and the album stands in the top 10 of many different all-time polls.

And how can anyone who has seen the title track performed live (particularly outdoor as the sun is setting) not feel a thrill of excitement run through them as the opening part starts to play?

In order my list is

Hotel California
New Kid In Town
The Last Resort
Life in the Fast Lane
Victim Of Love
Wasted time
Pretty Maids All In A Row
Wasted Time (reprise)
Try and Love Again

Koala
12-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Congratulations Hotel California!!!

LOVE this album!

Here is my ranking:

1. Hotel California
2.New Kid In Town
3.Life In The Fast Lane
4. Wasted Time
5. The Last Resort
6.Victim Of Love
7. Pretty Maids All In A Row
8. Try and Love Again
9. Wasted Time (reprise)

Windeagle
12-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Woo-hoo! Happy birthday, Hotel California! This album was my intro to the Eagles on a chilly fall morning in 1979, when the kid I was riding to school with popped it into his cassette player. Of course, I had heard the hits all over the radio, but hearing the album cuts was what made me sit up and take notice.

Since then, I've found I prefer the live versions of most of these songs, but here's my list:

Wasted Time
The Last Resort
New Kid in Town
Victim of Love
Try and Love Again
Hotel California
Life in the Fast Lane
Pretty Maids all in a Row
Wasted Time (reprise)

12-08-2011, 12:36 PM
HAPPY 35TH BIRTHDAY HOTEL CALIFORNIA!!!

What can we say about this album that hasn't already been said a gazillion times before. Just the fact that the album has generated so much discussion in the last 35 years is a testament to the greatness of this masterpiece.

I'll just recopy my list that I posted earlier in the thread ...

1. Hotel California
2. New Kid In Town
3. Life In the Fast Lane
4. Wasted Time
5. Try and Love Again
6. Victim of Love
7. Pretty Maids All In a Row
8. The Last Resort
9. Wasted Time Reprise

With the exception of Try and Love Again, my list almost goes in the order that the tracks appear on the album. I guess that means I think the album gets progressively weaker, but that's all relative. IMO, even the worst track on this album is still an excellent song!

Tori
12-08-2011, 05:44 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HOTEL CALIFORNIA!
This album is my album. This was the one that got me into this band. I still remember hearing Victim of Love on cassette in my mom's car at seven years old, hearing all these songs and just falling in love with them. And I love every song equally, I really love them all, so it's gonna be hard to rank them, but here's my ranking.

1. Victim of Love
2. Hotel California
3. Wasted Time
4. Pretty Maids All In A Row
5. Life In The Fast Lane
6. New Kid In Town
7. The Last Resort
8. Try And Love Again
9. Wasted Time reprise

(I would actually consider VOL and HC to be in a tie for first place, since they're my two absolute favorite Eagles songs ever, but if I had to put one over the other it would be VOL. Just because it was the first Eagles song I ever heard and it's special to me in that way.)

Freypower
12-08-2011, 05:46 PM
1. Hotel California
2. New Kid In Town
3. Life In The Fast Lane
4. Pretty Maids All In A Row
5. Victim Of Love
6. Try And Love Again
7. The Last Resort
8. Wasted Time
9. Wasted Time (Reprise)

Brooke
12-08-2011, 05:54 PM
35 years! Seems impossible!

1. Hotel California
2. New Kid In Town
3. Life In The Fast Lane
4. Victim of Love
5. Wasted Time
6. Try And Love Again
7. Pretty Maids
8. The Last Resort
9. Wasted Time (Reprise)

sodascouts
12-11-2011, 03:23 AM
I just listened to my DVD-A of Hotel California tonight and once again, I'm reminded of just how freaking incredible this album is. Brilliant!

12-11-2011, 01:21 PM
I've been listening to the CD in my car this past week, and I must say I have been enjoying it immensely. Truly a piece of work this one is! :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
12-12-2011, 05:47 AM
I just listened to my DVD-A of Hotel California tonight and once again, I'm reminded of just how freaking incredible this album is. Brilliant!

I need to get the DVD-A sometime. As far as the album... I truly hate to say this, but...... I told you so! :hilarious:

It's truly the masterpiece of the 70s. Sums up rock n' roll very, very well IMO. Certainly the best concept album I think. It takes you on a journey from beginning to end, which I LOVE about any album. It tells a story and it like a movie with no picture. I love albums where every song connects with one another and it doesn't seem like every song tells a completely different story. I like when albums have a theme although there are some concept records I don't personally like, but for the most part I love them.

12-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Well - I didn't forget about this, but I'm just getting around to posting the results of our Hotel California album poll. I doubt if anyone will be surprised to hear that Hotel California has the most points, with New Kid In Town trailing in second place. So here we go ...

1. Hotel California - 84 points
2. New Kid In Town - 74 points
3. Life In the Fast Lane - 68 points
4. Victim of Love - 65 points
5. Wasted Time - 59 points
6. Pretty Maids All In a Row - 50 points
7. The Last Resort - 43 points
8. Try and Love Again - 40 points
9. Wasted Time Reprise - 12 points

As always, Thanks to those who participated and if anyone else wants to post their list, please feel free, and I will update the results.

EaglesKiwi
12-19-2011, 05:22 AM
I'm late to the party again! Love this album, although to be fair since I haven't replaced my vinyl copy yet I mostly listen to the songs from other compilations i.e. Very Best Of, or HFO.

My list is:

1. The Last Resort
2. New Kid In Town
3. Hotel California
4. Life In the Fast Lane
5. Wasted Time
6. Victim of Love
7. Pretty Maids All In a Row
8. Try and Love Again
9. Wasted Time Reprise

The first 5 change around a bit, but there's a definite gap between my top 5 and the others (which I still like very much).

12-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Okay - here is an updated list that includes EaglesKiwi's list. Her votes didn't change the order of the standings at all ...

1. Hotel California - 91 points
2. New Kid In Town - 82 points
3. Life In the Fast Lane - 74 points
4. Victim of Love - 69 points
5. Wasted Time - 64 points
6. Pretty Maids All In a Row - 53 points
7. The Last Resort - 52 points
8. Try and Love Again - 42 points
9. Wasted Time Reprise - 13 points

Scarlet Sun
12-20-2011, 04:15 PM
1. Try And Love Again
2. Wasted Time (reprise)
3. Wasted Time
7. The Last Resort

12-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Here is an updated list that includes Scarlet Sun's list. His votes only changed the order of the standings slightly by putting Wasted Time just one point above Victim of Love ...

1. Hotel California - 96 points
2. New Kid In Town - 88 points
3. Life In the Fast Lane - 76 points
4. Wasted Time - 71 points
5. Victim of Love - 70 points
6. Pretty Maids All In a Row - 57 points
7. The Last Resort - 55 points
8. Try and Love Again - 51 points
9. Wasted Time Reprise - 21 points

rcknalwys
12-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Little late but here's my list:

1. Wasted Time
2. Try and Love Again
3. Victim of Love
4. Hotel California
5. Life in the Fast Lane
6. Long Run
7. New Kid in Town
8. Pretty Maids All in a Row
9. WT reprise

Topkat
12-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Check out this outragous interview with Glenn & Joe on the Hotel California;
You can stream the interview on the right:::http://www.inthestudio.net/this-week-in-the-studio/eagles

Koala
12-26-2011, 02:51 AM
Cool, thanks for the link!

Topkat
12-26-2011, 10:39 AM
I couldn't believe this was such a long & detailed interview, over 20 minutes. Don also speaks a bit toward the end. Be sure to listen to the whole thing. :shock:

WalshFan88
12-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks for sharing! Love it.

Hotel California is so awesome. I'd give anything to have been able to see them on that HC tour.

I love Glenn's comments that Felder and Walsh went together SO very well. They did. I miss Don Felder.

Also, is it just me or does Glenn throw some compliments Felder's way in terms of guitar playing?

Topkat
12-26-2011, 03:46 PM
I agree, Austin that there was something very special in the Walsh/Felder combination...And yes, I do think that Glenn did pay a compliment to Don Felder in that interview. Frankly, I was a little surprised by that.

WalshFan88
12-26-2011, 04:47 PM
I agree, Austin that there was something very special in the Walsh/Felder combination...And yes, I do think that Glenn did pay a compliment to Don Felder in that interview. Frankly, I was a little surprised by that.

Yeah I was surprised by the Felder compliment too. I'd love to see him back in the band but I know there is a fat chance of that ever happening.

Freypower
12-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Glenn always complimented Felder's guitar playing, even after the band had broken up.

12-26-2011, 07:32 PM
I thought that was a really interesting interview - sheds a little bit more light about the album. Thanks for posting the link, TK.

But, I guess I'm surprised that folks are surprised that Glenn would compliment Felder's guitar playing. As Freypower said, he has done that many times over the years. Besides if he didn't think Felder was a great guitar player - why would they have wanted him in the band? :wink:

Brooke
12-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Great interview!

Topkat
12-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by, I've Always Been A Dreamer

But, I guess I'm surprised that folks are surprised that Glenn would compliment Felder's guitar playing. As Freypower said, he has done that many times over the years. Besides if he didn't think Felder was a great guitar player - why would they have wanted him in the band?

Dreamer, I guess we are surprised because they seemed to argue a lot. When you first join a band, you really don't know how you're going to get along, so maybe when they first invited Felder into the band, they all agreed he's a great guitar player, but then you have to work together & then it wasn't all a bed of roses. I hadn't really heard Glenn say much about Felder in past interviews.

Tori
12-26-2011, 09:15 PM
This is an awesome interview! Thanks, TK!

WalshFan88
12-26-2011, 09:23 PM
I thought that was a really interesting interview - sheds a little bit more light about the album. Thanks for posting the link, TK.

But, I guess I'm surprised that folks are surprised that Glenn would compliment Felder's guitar playing. As Freypower said, he has done that many times over the years. Besides if he didn't think Felder was a great guitar player - why would they have wanted him in the band? :wink:

Well I look at it like this - he and Felder had a bitter, nasty ending and do not like each other and it's unusual for him to talk about him positively post firing. I'm not surprised he said he's a great guitar player. I am surprised he is saying anything nice to Felder period. :wink:

cheryl
12-27-2011, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the link. I like hearing them talk about their songs; really enjoyed listening.

Windeagle
12-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Finally had a chance to listen to this interview. Thanks for posting. I loved them talk about the songs and how Joe was integrated into the band.

Freypower
12-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Well I look at it like this - he and Felder had a bitter, nasty ending and do not like each other and it's unusual for him to talk about him positively post firing. I'm not surprised he said he's a great guitar player. I am surprised he is saying anything nice to Felder period. :wink:

Glenn has not talked about Felder at all since Felder was fired. AT ALL. He has not said one word about Felder since 2001. However, the point is that Glenn was very complimentary about Felder in quite a few interviews BEFORE the band reformed. I would like to quote chapter & verse, but I can't.

ETA: I haven't had time to listen to this interview so I don't know when it was conducted. However if it was conducted recently, Glenn is still hardly going to say 'Don Felder was an a*hole', is he? Glenn is a professional.

Also, when Glenn talked/talks about Felder in interviews, he talked about their professional relationship as musicians. He never talked, to my knowledge, about their difficult personal relationship. I think it's important to stress that. Glenn has never criticised Felder in public.

On the other hand, Felder's book spent a great deal of time trashing Glenn on a personal basis and had precisely nothing good to say about Glenn as a musician. While this is understandable to a degree, Glenn has never responded to it and I suspect never will.

EaglesKiwi
12-28-2011, 04:18 AM
On the other hand, Felder's book spent a great deal of time trashing Glenn on a personal basis and had precisely nothing good to say about Glenn as a musician. While this is understandable to a degree, Glenn has never responded to it and I suspect never will.
I agree that Glenn will probably never address this directly, however with the 40th anniversary coming up and various things supposedly in the pipeline (per Glenn's Niagara Falls comments plus some from DH and JW in interviews) - and even a musical!! - are they going to be addressing the history of the band?

It will be interesting to see how it's handled.

Such a big deal has been made over DF and Glenn not getting along - and yet probably all of us have had lousy relationships with work colleagues as well (for whatever reasons) and have had to handle it in the best way we could - it's not unusual.

I am guessing/hoping that they will show the immense contribution of each of the former Eagles. At the same time they can show that they continue to be great - both performing and writing - in their current incarnation.

WalshFan88
12-28-2011, 02:27 PM
Glenn has not talked about Felder at all since Felder was fired. AT ALL. He has not said one word about Felder since 2001.

That's my point exactly.

I realize and know he has complimented Felder's playing in prior interviews but my point is he hadn't said boo about Felder after he was fired until this interview, when he brought up his guitar playing. I realize in the past pre-firing he had praised his ability as a player. Obviously, the guy is an underrated guitar god.

I didn't think he would have said "Don Felder is an a-hole", FP, but I didn't think he'd say anything nice about him either ESPECIALLY after what Felder has said/wrote about him after he got fired. I figured he would just never mention Felder again. Although I clearly realize Glenn would never bash Felder in public or use profanity against him, I didn't think he'd say anything complimentary or even mention his name again, either.

Freypower
12-28-2011, 05:58 PM
I understand that Austin, but on the other hand how could Glenn just attempt to airbrush Felder out of the band's history like the way the Soviet Union leaders used to 'revise' history and make certain people 'unpersons' if you like. It would not have looked very good if he had tried to do so & he is not that sort of person.

As EK says there may be more of this to come if this 'history' is released.

WalshFan88
12-28-2011, 09:17 PM
I understand that Austin, but on the other hand how could Glenn just attempt to airbrush Felder out of the band's history like the way the Soviet Union leaders used to 'revise' history and make certain people 'unpersons' if you like. It would not have looked very good if he had tried to do so & he is not that sort of person.

As EK says there may be more of this to come if this 'history' is released.

True. I understand that. It's just shocking to me is all. If a guy said those things about me, I would probably say something back not very nice or clean, if not just never mention them again no matter how good of a player he was. And I like Felder a lot as a player, he's my second favorite. You can guess who's first! :D Glenn handled it better than I would have. I don't take kindly to criticism of any kind, attacks, insults, confrontation, or any negative statement towards me. :rofl:

12-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Well, personally I'm very glad about the way that Glenn has handled the entire situation with Felder. He has chosen to stay "above the fray" instead of being petty, bitter, and mean-spirited. Too bad that hasn't been reciprocated. It takes a much classier person to rise above the mudslinging than it does to throw stones. Personally, I have no interest in hearing grown, whiny men air their dirty laundry in public. JMHO

Glennhoney
12-28-2011, 10:11 PM
True. I understand that. It's just shocking to me is all. If a guy said those things about me, I would probably say something back not very nice or clean, if not just never mention them again no matter how good of a player he was. And I like Felder a lot as a player, he's my second favorite. You can guess who's first! :D Glenn handled it better than I would have. I don't take kindly to criticism of any kind, attacks, insults, confrontation, or any negative statement towards me. :rofl:

I've always believed that Glenn was (is) a better man than most people give him credit for (or NOT give him credit for)....I don't understand why a lot of people think like this...I know he was brash and cocky in his younger days, but people do grow up at some point...

WalshFan88
12-28-2011, 10:32 PM
I've always believed that Glenn was (is) a better man than most people give him credit for (or NOT give him credit for)....I don't understand why a lot of people think like this...I know he was brash and cocky in his younger days, but people do grow up at some point...

I agree Glenn handled it well.

As far as me and how I would respond - if you mess with the bull, you get the horns. Period. I put up with and tolerated a lot of insults and nasty things said about me when I was younger. Now I'm not afraid to stick up for myself and dish out a bit of their own medicine back to them. I'm a very sensitive individual and I can't just brush it off and I can become offended or upset rather easily. It is just the way I was born and can't help it. That said when no one is making me upset, I'm one of the nicest people I know. In other words, I'm nice until someone gives me a reason not to be. Then watch out because fur will fly. :hilarious: :argue:

Freypower
12-28-2011, 11:55 PM

He has a very difficult job, for which in my view he receives insufficient credit. He has in my view natural leadership ability but it cannot always be easy to deal with the conflicting egos & situations. It will be interesting early next year to see how he handles having to promote 'himself' instead of the band, however briefly he may choose to do that.

sodascouts
12-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Anybody can be nice to people who don't upset them. I think it's a hallmark of strong men to deal maturely with people who do upset them. A strong, mature man can rise above the situation and "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" so to speak. Glenn is one of those men, and I admire that.

That said, he did obliquely refer to the conflict in an interview with Robert Wuhl a few months ago. He did so in calm, professional manner without throwing around nasty comments that attacked Felder personally. His behavior in this situation has been above reproach, IMHO.

Topkat
12-29-2011, 12:48 PM
I agree that Glenn has taken the high road here & not said negative things about Felder, but that had not been the case in the past. I have a lot of mixed feelings about the way Felder was treated in the band, & he does have the right to give his opinion, however this was an interview, not a book. If Glenn were to do a bio, he may not be so kind to Don Felder. In a brief interview, he was not going to get into any bashing or negativity when the interview was about the 35th anniversary of Hotel California, which Felder did have a hand in, so it was all appropriate.

Glennhoney
12-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Anybody can be nice to people who don't upset them. I think it's a hallmark of a strong man to deal maturely with people who do upset them. A strong, mature man can rise above the situation and "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" so to speak. Glenn is one of those men, and I admire that.

That said, he did obliquely refer to the conflict in an interview with Robert Wuhl a few months ago. He did so in calm, professional manner without throwing around nasty comments that attacked Felder personally. His behavior in this situation has been above reproach, IMHO.

WELL SAID!!!!!!:headbang:

WalshFan88
12-29-2011, 02:39 PM
In a brief interview, he was not going to get into any bashing or negativity when the interview was about the 35th anniversary of Hotel California, which Felder did have a hand in, so it was all appropriate.

Well said! I completely agree.

12-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Well, I don’t believe most of us here have a problem with anyone criticizing any of the band members if there is evidence to warrant the criticism. I’ve certainly done so myself in the past. However, I’m not sure what the criticism is here about Glenn. Topkat and Austin, you give faint praise to Glenn for taking the high road, but then you say that has not been the case in the past. When did Glenn ever publicly criticize Felder? I can’t think of anytime that has happened, but I could be wrong. As Topkat said in an earlier post, “I hadn’t really heard Glenn say much about Felder in past interviews.” And, of course, Felder has a right to give his opinion. Again, none of us know the facts - we can only go by the accounts that have been given to us. Felder has given us his side, so others have a right to agree with him or dispute the facts based on what we do know. As we have said, we have very little information from Glenn, so I guess the only thing we can criticize him for is what he might say if he ever decides to speak publicly about their relationship. :?

WalshFan88
12-29-2011, 11:07 PM
Dreamer, I am giving more than "faint praise", to be sure. I was mainly agreeing with Topkat's other comments. I don't know of any previous comments Glenn has made about Felder. I was agreeing he handled the HC anniversary interview well. I guess I should have highlighted it.

Freypower
12-30-2011, 06:54 PM
In Rolling Stone's Top 500 albums HC is #37 & I would like to thank them for calling New Kid In Town 'glorious'.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-19691231/hotel-california-the-eagles-19691231

EaglesKiwi
12-31-2011, 04:16 AM
In Rolling Stone's Top 500 albums HC is #37 & I would like to thank them for calling New Kid In Town 'glorious'.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-19691231/hotel-california-the-eagles-19691231
I think that's a good description.

Brooke
12-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Perfect!

Glennhoney
12-31-2011, 11:46 AM

..and GLORIOUS IT IS.....:yay:

GlennLover
01-01-2012, 09:30 PM
I have tremendous respect for Glenn for the way he handled & continues to handle the entire situation with Don Felder. To my knowledge he has not even commented on the law suits or the settlements. I respect the way Don H has handled it as well although he has made a few comments about the band's 'personnel problems'.

And I agree. NKIT is glorious!

12-08-2012, 03:40 PM
HAPPY 36TH ANNIVERSARY TO ...

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/hccover.jpg

Is there hardly anybody on the planet that doesn't recognize this iconic cover? As has been said so many times before, this album was the pinnacle of the band's career and one of the best rock and roll albums ever recorded. I'm betting some of this music will still be played in the next century!

WalshFan88
12-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Happy Anniversary to the best darn album on the planet! :partytime:

Everyone knows what I think of this album. :D

I'll put it on tonight for a listen... Such a chore. :lie: :hilarious:

Tiffanny Twisted
12-08-2012, 07:43 PM
woohoo !!!!!

Wow 36 yeARS ....SUCH A GREAT ICONIC ALBUM.
i HAVE SAID IT BEFORE...i LOVE THIS ALBUM..i remeber when it came out and I was blown away by it.Everytime I hear it it just takes me back to my high school days and how great I felt when I heard this album
pure genius

Witchy Woman
12-08-2012, 08:20 PM
One of the 2 albums I find to be flawless from beginning to end, the other one being Metallica's Master Of Puppets. Also the first album I learned all the words to, and the very first CD I ever bought. An over 30 year love affair and still going strong !!

:inlove: :inlove:

Grey Sadler
12-08-2012, 10:48 PM
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank my grandmother for accidentally packing a stack of my stepbrothers' albums in with our stuff when we moved in 1985...finding Hotel California (and One of These Nights), among other jewels, was a happy, happy surprise :partytime:

zeldabjr
12-08-2012, 10:58 PM
cool story of how you got into the Eagles GS!...

Happy Anniversary Hotel California!!!:heart:

can't imagine the world without you!...thinking about when it came out definitely takes me back to high school!

Tori
12-09-2012, 01:24 AM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, HC!

I love every single song on this album. The first Eagles song I ever heard is on this album (Victim Of Love), and this album is basically the soundtrack to my childhood... so I am eternally grateful for it. (:

Brooke
12-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Happy Anniversary to Hotel California,

one of my favorite albums of all time! Love! :thumbsup:

Houston Debutante
12-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Happy anniversary to one of the best albums ever made.

sodascouts
12-10-2012, 09:39 PM
HC isn't my fave Eagles album but its high quality is incontrovertible. Happy birthday Hotel California!

tjrrockandrollmaster
02-21-2013, 05:13 PM
The Eagles album I play more than any other and is just behind Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here as my all time favorite album.

Though it was played many times as a infant/toddler, I didn't own my own copy until age 5 in 1981 when my folks bought me the 8 Track (they repeated Wasted Time Reprise to extend the playing length of 8 Track). Then my mom bought me the vinyl on Veterans Day 1981 (which I had until it got lost in a flood). Then first cassette copy was at Christmas 1981 (replaced in January of 1984 then again in March of 1991 (the 1991 copy my mom (may she RIP) bought me whilst my older brother got a flash in the pan rapper Redhead Kingpin's album and he griped about me re-acquiring and I responded "my other copy went to make its maker a long time ago"). First CD copy was when I got an order from BMG Music Service club (then replaced with the remaster from 1999 which Ted Jensen did a damn good job with the remastering).

As far as the songs go, my favorites are "The Last Resort", the title cut, "Wasted Time", "Pretty Maids All in a Row", Heck the whole album.

When I heard the In the Studio episode in 1994 (then re-aired with a modified script in 1996 and Redbeard no longer said ex-Eagles members), Glenn said everything came together for that album (songwriting, guitar playing, record production (right on the money)) plus Don Henley's story about the preachers calling Hotel California "evil" and Joe Walsh's bits were funny. Also that was when I heard about how "Life in the Fast Lane" came about.

It doesn't sound like an album made during the year of my birth. Kudos to the band and Bill Szymczyk for how it sounds and also to Kosh for the classic album cover.

Troubadour
02-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Happy Anniversary, HC! This album is incredible. Apart from the title track, its ballads make me really love it... The Last Resort, Pretty Maids, Wasted Time... Gorgeous songs that are a perfect contrast to the rockier tracks on the record. Truly one of the best albums of all-time!

Brooke
02-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Love love love this album!

Along with all the rest! :heart:

WalshFan88
02-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Love love love this album and of course the title track means so very much to me. It's the definitive Eagles song and album for me. :partytime:

Tiffanny Twisted
02-22-2013, 07:49 PM
happy birthday hotel california

love love love this cd/album......brings back so many memeories for me and makes me feel so happy.HC is my fave song (which is why I am Tiffanny twisted and not named tiffanny). but I love the whole cd

sodascouts
02-22-2013, 10:15 PM
It's the birthday of the single, not the album, but it's still worth celebrating! What an iconic song.

sodascouts
12-08-2013, 02:22 AM
Happy birthday to the most famous album the Eagles ever made....

HOTEL CALIFORNIA!

It turns 37 today!

Tiffanny Twisted
12-08-2013, 08:55 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOTEL
CALIFORNIA

THIS IS MY FAVORITE EAGLES LP/CD AND IT CHANGED MY LIFE WAY BACK THERE IN MY HIGH SCHOOL DAYS:drummer::yay:

thelastresort
12-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Happy birthday HC

SoaringRockyMountainWay
12-08-2013, 04:30 PM
I LOVE Hotel California so much! That song is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm actually writing a report on it for school. It better get an A+ because the song deserves it. :heybaby:

sodascouts
12-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Good luck, SRMW!

bluefeather
12-08-2013, 07:59 PM
HOORAY Hotel California!:yay:

shunlvswx
12-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Happy 37th Birthday, HC. I think this is my favorite album of all their albums. I love majority of the songs on the album. I even heard HC today.

12-08-2013, 08:18 PM
WOW - 37 years!

This is definitely my favorite album of all. Every single freakin' song is absolutely incredible, IMHO. This one is definitely going in the car CD player this week. For me personally, as overplayed as some of the songs may be for some, I just never tire of it and every song still resonates to this very day ...

:yay: Hotel California
:yay: New Kid In Town
:yay: Life In the Fast Lane
:yay: Wasted Time
:yay: Wasted Time Reprise
:yay: Victim of Love
:yay: Pretty Maids All In a Row
:yay: Try and Love Again
:yay: The Last Resort

thelastresort
12-08-2013, 09:06 PM
I would agree, every song is equally brilliant, except for Wasted Time, probably my least favourite Eagles song. Victim of Love is incredibly underrated.

sodascouts
12-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Totally agree about Victim of Love being underrated (as much as anything on HC can be). Terrific song.

sad-cafe
12-08-2013, 09:11 PM
I love Randy's Try and Love Again. I think this song is way underrated.

thelastresort
12-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Totally agree about Victim of Love being underrated (as much as anything on HC can be). Terrific song.

Indeed. Felder's opening guitar bit is just out of this world, and Walsh's solo I think is on a par with Frey's in ICTYW as their second best ever.

Zanny Kingston
12-08-2013, 11:58 PM
Happy birthday HOTEL CALIFORNIA!

I have been spending the week here in CA and the Eagles have been on my mind constantly.. I will post some thoughts on that in a bit.

SilverMoon
12-09-2013, 01:59 AM
Happy Anniversary, Hotel California!

I really love “Victim of Love,” “Life in the Fast Lane” and “New Kid in Town,” but “Hotel California” is truly a masterpiece and one of my all-time favorite songs.

Glennhoney
12-09-2013, 10:04 PM
This song would have been a hit number one single had it been released as one.
....agree...

12-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Secret Squirrel posted a link in another thread, but since this is our celebration week for the album, I thought I'd post it here as well. This is a pretty interesting writeup and video from the art director on the album, John Kosh, about the album's famous cover art ...

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/features/the-eagles-hotel-california-the-story-behind-a-classic-album-cover/

Brooke
12-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Enjoyed reading that! Thanks!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
HOTEL CALIFORNIA!

It's fabulous! Love it! Must listen to it this week too! :thumbsup:

Houston Debutante
12-10-2013, 05:34 PM
When I opened up the board and saw the Hotel California design I smiled because I love this album ~ who doesn't tho? I'll be listening to it this week in honor of its birthday.

Houston Debutante
12-10-2013, 05:53 PM
This song would have been a hit number one single had it been released as one.

Everything on that album is good enough to be a single, that's the problem. They can only release so many. In this case they released three ~ New Kid in Town, Hotel California, and Life in the Fast Lane, at least according to Wikipedia ~ and I don't think very many people would say that Try And Love Again is better than those three songs. I'm sure there are some of course...no offense to them....but not many.

It's not as if people never had the chance to hear it, this was a huge selling album and back in those days people actually listened to entire albums. Still if you ask people to pick their top 5 songs off Hotel California this one wouldn't make it onto the majority of lists.

The real surprise to me is that Victim of Love was only a B-side, I think it is better than New Kid In Town.

luna65
12-10-2013, 06:57 PM
I acknowledge the album as a cultural landmark for certain, and I imagine I'm not the only person who draws the analogy of the title song being the band's "Stairway To Heaven" - and I don't mean that merely in terms of their most popular song but also the most theorized and misunderstood, containing the most mystique. But - and this is just my opinion - I find myself thinking that Side Two is missing something, like it needs another song. Side One is absolute perfection, and contains one each of Don and Glenn's best performances ever in "Wasted Time" and "New Kid In Town." NKIT especially has a textbook vocal arrangement, like people should be studying it forever; it gives me chills even now, and definitely deserved the Grammy it received. But as much as I enjoy Side Two, and especially "Try and Love Again" and how it's a perfect example of both the band's aesthetic and that of The Avocado Mafia, I feel like there should be something between it and the prior song. When I get to the end of Side Two I always feel incomplete somehow. But I know there wasn't room for another song; as I say, that's just me.

Freypower
12-10-2013, 07:05 PM
There may have been room for one more song if they had not included Wasted Time (Reprise). It would have been nice if Glenn had one more lead because Don is far too dominant. It is strange you say that because I have sometimes had that 'side 2 is incomplete'feeling as well.

luna65
12-10-2013, 07:14 PM
True, although I love that as an intro to "Victim," it's really cool to hear the strings alone; it's a great juxtaposition between that and the low-down raucous feeling of "Victim." But I agree that another song with Glenn on lead would have been great.

Houston Debutante
12-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Interesting, I've always thought the album was just right as it was but maybe it's just because I've played it so many times the song order sounds natural.

12-11-2013, 02:10 PM
I agree that the 'incompleteness' of the album is an interesting observation that I don't ever remember being brought up before. I personally don't feel that way. Ending the album with The Last Resort works perfectly for me.

Re: Glenn having another vocal - I concur. I've often wondered if any consideration was ever given to Glenn singing lead on Life In the Fast Lane since he was very heavily involved in writing the song. I've seen him perform it solo several times and I think he could have done it justice. I'm not saying he could do it better than Don, but I think he could have done it just as well, especially since Glenn could have used another lead vocal. I guess by this time, the band felt it was a good move to go with Don as their primary vocalist.

Brooke
12-11-2013, 02:22 PM
I've never thought the album was incomplete. Never really gave that any thought at all! I just accepted that you got what you got, the end! :lol:

Houston Debutante
12-11-2013, 02:27 PM
This is an interesting discussion, now with mp3 players and shuffle on ipods, track order doesn't even really matter anymore for a lot of people. I have never actually listened to Hotel Califronia on a record, I just play the CD, so I don't even think about sides.

Brooke
12-11-2013, 02:39 PM
We used to play whole albums, not just a song here and there. I still find myself thinking a certain song will play next because that's the way it was on the album , but if you have the ipod on shuffle you can get anything! Shows my age, I guess! :lol:

thelastresort
12-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Regarding Glenn's vocals, I seem to remember on the HOTE doc he made a point of mentioning how Don increasingly became the voice of the Eagles, and he seemed fairly OK and at ease with that fact. Do people think that was his honest feeling or deep down do you think he wishes there was more of a split from OOTN onwards? Thinking about it, that may only have been said in relation to Victim of Love...

12-11-2013, 03:16 PM
My personal opinion is that, at the time, Glenn truly believed having Don as the voice of the band was the best move for the Eagles. He probably wasn't overjoyed about it, but at the same time, he "took one for the team". However, in retrospect, I think they all realize now that one of the band's strengths is that all of the members can sing lead. Obviously, this is just my guess based on the fact that there was a more even distribution on LROOE.

And I guess I'm old-school too. I like listening to albums from start to finish.

luna65
12-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Yeah I have a turntable so I still listen to actual albums (and some of my favorites have never been released as CDs), and I spend a lot of time thinking about sequencing/running orders and so on, because I'm a nerd, lol. But I agree that "The Last Resort" is the perfect ending, it's Don's epic treatise.

Freypower
12-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Regarding Glenn's vocals, I seem to remember on the HOTE doc he made a point of mentioning how Don increasingly became the voice of the Eagles, and he seemed fairly OK and at ease with that fact. Do people think that was his honest feeling or deep down do you think he wishes there was more of a split from OOTN onwards? Thinking about it, that may only have been said in relation to Victim of Love...

He wasn't just talking about one song. He was talking about all albums from OOTN onwards. From what I could work out it was HIS decision. He says 'I sang less... that was intentional. We had Don Henley'. And quite frankly to hear him say that breaks my heart. I console myself with the thought that the songs he DID sing, shall we say, were in my opinion the best tracks on each of those albums, including NKIT, which is my favourite Eagles song.

I think Luna's argument was not about the order of the songs or that TLR should not have been the final song, but that Side 2 seems incomplete (please correct me if I have this wrong). For whatever reason, I tend to agree. It is very hard to say why. I think another song between VOL & PMIAR, or between PMIAR & TALA, with Glenn singing, would have made it more complete. But we have to bear in mind running time back in those days was 40 minutes.

luna65
12-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Right; that is what I meant. I would go so far as to say I've got an odd opinion of the album. lol. But then again that's just me in general. :laugh:

sodascouts
12-11-2013, 09:37 PM
My personal opinion is that, at the time, Glenn truly believed having Don as the voice of the band was the best move for the Eagles. He probably wasn't overjoyed about it, but at the same time, he "took one for the team". However, in retrospect, I think they all realize now that one of the band's strengths is that all of the members can sing lead. Obviously, this is just my guess based on the fact that there was a more even distribution on LROOE.

And I guess I'm old-school too. I like listening to albums from start to finish.

I agree. I don't think Glenn relished the thought of stepping back and giving Don more leads, but at the time he truly believed it was the best thing for the Eagles as a group.... so he put aside his pride, gave Don the lion's share of the vocals, and the rest is history.

Regarding listening to a whole album... I'm afraid I rarely do that now, except for these anniversary weeks where I make a point to do it. Otherwise, it's iPod playlists and MP3 shuffle. While I understand why some prefer listening in order, I like the variety and the fact that you never know what's coming up next. Plus, I never have to sit through a song I'm less than impressed with - if I don't like it, it doesn't make the iPod.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-12-2013, 02:36 PM
I thought Hotel California was perfect just as it was put out. It didn't need any changes. Love the album.

chaim
12-12-2013, 05:27 PM
About the voices....My father is a "casual" fan of the band. He loves the songs he knows, but if you play a song like "Take the devil" to him, he hasn't heard it before. He does know some lesser known ones like "Hollywood waltz", but he never puts an Eagles album on and listens to it. He said to me a little while ago - I think it was when we were watching the new documentary together - that Glenn Frey's voice defines "Eagles". Glenn's voice (Take It Easy, Peaceful Easy Feeling, New Kid In Town, Lyin' Eyes...) is the first thing that comes to his mind when he thinks of Eagles. Glenn's voice has always been my favorite sound in the band, so we never argue about that.8-) It's not that my father doesn't like Don's voice. It's just that Glenn's voice is what really makes it Eagles for him.

Freypower
12-12-2013, 06:03 PM
About the voices....My father is a "casual" fan of the band. He loves the songs he knows, but if you play a song like "Take the devil" to him, he hasn't heard it before. He does know some lesser known ones like "Hollywood waltz", but he never puts an Eagles album on and listens to it. He said to me a little while ago - I think it was when we were watching the new documentary together - that Glenn Frey's voice defines "Eagles". Glenn's voice (Take It Easy, Peaceful Easy Feeling, New Kid In Town, Lyin' Eyes...) is the first thing that comes to his mind when he thinks of Eagles. Glenn's voice has always been my favorite sound in the band, so we never argue about that.8-) It's not that my father doesn't like Don's voice. It's just that Glenn's voice is what really makes it Eagles for him.

It isn't often that people say that. He should talk to me.

Houston Debutante
12-12-2013, 06:09 PM
I really admire how Glenn stepped aside for Don, I think it was really smart and benefited the album, I agree the album is perfect as it is. It's possible that if Don hadn't sung as many songs that the album wouldn't have done as good. The album where he sings the most songs is the one that sold the most and shot them to superstars, coincidence?

randymeisnerrocks
12-12-2013, 06:38 PM
It's possible that if Don hadn't sung as many songs that the album wouldn't have done as good. The album where he sings the most songs is the one that sold the most and shot them to superstars, coincidence?

I atribute it to the fact that they were really coming into their own at that point and all creative cylinders were firing. Everyone was at the top of their game, every one of them, and it showed in record sales. And you know, that opinion and $1 will buy you a Diet Coke. :)

UndertheWire
12-12-2013, 06:57 PM
I'd put forward the argument that it was the Greatest Hits album that turned them into superstars and was a big reason why Hotel California sold so many.

On the earlier albums, Don Henley's voice was my favourite but on HC it's a bit too much of a good thing and I'm missing the variety of the earlier albums.

thelastresort
12-12-2013, 08:13 PM
I like both Don H's and Glenn's vocals equally, but I think they are each suited to differing styles (note this is all very, very, very broadly speaking and there are exceptions!) - Glenn pulls off the more 'romantic' songs like PEF, Lyin' Eyes, NKIT etc really well and I think his softer, almost more delicate voice fits perfectly. Don's is I think more edgier, rougher almost, so he pulls off the hard-rocking likes of Witchy Woman, OTB and LITFL better. Of course, if you bear in mind Out of Control, Already Gone, BOML and Hollywood Waltz this all goes out of the window... :hilarious: It's hard to explain!

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-12-2013, 08:46 PM
The album was awesome, there is no reason why they could not release 4 singles. Try and Love Again should have been one of them. The song is really exceptional and has a lot of emotion to it. The other 3 that were released were also very wonderful songs. The whole album is amazingly good and every song is good but they could have put more of them out there. Again this is my opinion and not to be taken as more than that.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Well I guess that's another thread but I do think that they stretched on a few songs for the Long Run. I do love the Long Run and In the City.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Yes Disco strangler is definitely not the best song on the album, but there are a couple others that would not be either.

moonlight74
12-13-2013, 12:41 AM
The HC album was over produced and it is not their best work. A little like the 'wall of sound' Phil Spector is known for. To me One Of These Nights is a superior album. The song Try And Love Again on the HC album has more of an original composition about it and that is why to many it still sounds fresh and contemporary after all these years.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-13-2013, 10:35 AM
I do love Wasted Time. The words of that song could hold true for almost anyone. It is one of my favorites off the album.

luna65
12-13-2013, 12:29 PM
I did hear Disco Strangler on satellite radio recently and all my husband and could think was "what were they thinking"?

This is probably another example of my odd outlook but I love that song; it's a great example of social satire utilizing the exact genre they're lampooning, but they didn't do a direct pastiche. Another example of that kind of song is Pink Floyd's "Young Lust."

Zanny Kingston
12-13-2013, 02:39 PM
I like both Don H's and Glenn's vocals equally, but I think they are each suited to differing styles (note this is all very, very, very broadly speaking and there are exceptions!) - Glenn pulls off the more 'romantic' songs like PEF, Lyin' Eyes, NKIT etc really well and I think his softer, almost more delicate voice fits perfectly. Don's is I think more edgier, rougher almost, so he pulls off the hard-rocking likes of Witchy Woman, OTB and LITFL better. Of course, if you bear in mind Out of Control, Already Gone, BOML and Hollywood Waltz this all goes out of the window... :hilarious: It's hard to explain!

I happened to be out and about doing some errands earlier today so I put on the HC Cd in my car. I realized that as much as I love Don Henley's voice, he was not the reason I was originally attracted to the Eagles music in the 1970's - It was Glenn's voice- TLR you mentioned Already Gone and another one that comes to mind is James Dean- again Glenn songs that I really enjoy
and they are a bit edgier than some other things he sings. It is hard to explain.

A few previous Poster's mentioned they felt the second side of HC felt incomplete. I am old enough to have owned the vinyl album and now the Cd.

I never thought of it that way until now-but that was always the feeling I had when I got to side 2 of the album, and could never quite name what it was-It felt like Glenn is missing in the mix for me. It may have been a "business" decision, or maybe it was creative or who know what else that he did not have another song. But it was puzzling because to me Glenn was the primary voice of the Eagles for me at that time. I cant honestly say HC was not my favorite Eagles album at the time, but I did know even as a young teenager that I was listening to an important work and here we are nearly 40 years later still discussing it!

luna65
12-13-2013, 05:19 PM
Yes I think my opinion is primarily based on my experience with the actual album; I haven't listened to it on CD all that much, nor mp3s (like in a portable player). One of the effects of listening to vinyl is you become very aware of sequencing.

Zanny Kingston
12-13-2013, 05:41 PM
I think the sequencing speaks to a comment that I remember Don making in the doc that the album was "loosely thematic" the songs seemed to have a specific order and personality that I have come to appreciate over time.

luna65
12-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Exactly! I think that's why it has to begin and end with the grander philosophical statements, and in between those are the permutations of the effects of experience upon innocence.

12-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Well – I'll make a couple of other observations as we wrap up Hotel California celebration week. For me personally, I believe Hotel California is their best album from start to finish. As others have mentioned, the only flaw to me is that Glenn should have had at least one more lead vocal so I guess I can appreciate how that could make it seem incomplete for some folks. However, I think every song that is on the album is incredible and they work together so effectively to form this concept album. But, as much as I love the song Try and Love Again, there is no way that I think it is better than Hotel California or Life In the Fast Lane. Any one is free to disagree with me about this, but I think my opinion probably aligns closer to the mainstream opinion about the song. None of us can say for sure, but I’m betting that even if the song had been released as a single, it would never have reached the legendary status’ of Hotel California, Life In the Fast Lane, or New Kid In Town.

luna65
12-15-2013, 04:37 PM
I definitely believe it is one of Randy's best songs overall; I was actually surprised it didn't become more of a "deep cut" type of song like "Victim Of Love" did over the years, at least on commercial radio. I don't believe it would have become iconic like "Take It To The Limit" did for him, but I could see it having longevity on AOR radio at least.

thelastresort
12-15-2013, 05:14 PM
The other point I'll make with regard to HC and vocals is I wish we could hear Felder's vocal take for Victim of Love before they re-recorded it. Granted Visions isn't exactly mind-blowing but I think if all five members could have had at least one song on it it would have been totally complete for me, in the same way Eagles, Desperado, OOTN and LROOE are. To be a five-piece rock band with all five equally capable of vocals (though some were better than others) is something rather special and something I wish they had shown off a bit more at their peak. I can also get why Felder got quite upset when Henley redid the vocals on VOL.

Freypower
12-15-2013, 05:57 PM
The other point I'll make with regard to HC and vocals is I wish we could hear Felder's vocal take for Victim of Love before they re-recorded it. Granted Visions isn't exactly mind-blowing but I think if all five members could have had at least one song on it it would have been totally complete for me, in the same way Eagles, Desperado, OOTN and LROOE are. To be a five-piece rock band with all five equally capable of vocals (though some were better than others) is something rather special and something I wish they had shown off a bit more at their peak. I can also get why Felder got quite upset when Henley redid the vocals on VOL.

Felder did not have the vocal ability to sing the song as Henley pointed out in HOTE. They tried to let him do it but it didn't work. Henley then says 'it would be like me asking to play lead guitar on HC'. Frey was even more direct. He says 'Felder wasn't a singer'. I will leave it there.

luna65
12-15-2013, 07:24 PM
I would imagine if Don and J.D. wrote the vocal melody in Don's register that Felder wouldn't have been able to do it, it's definitely a higher register than Felder can sing. If it had been in Joe's register, for example, he might have managed it.

I wanted to add that I like what Marc Eliot wrote about "Try and Love Again" in To The Limit:

His minor-key mourning of the end of one life while looking toward another with the hope of getting beyond, if not over, the disappointment and disillusionment of love lost is gorgeously rendered. Accompanied by Glenn Frey's superb lead guitar, the song is full of classic American rock heartbreak. In many ways, it is the sleeper gem of the album.

Freypower
12-15-2013, 07:40 PM
I feel I should point out that the songwriting credit for VOL is Felder/Souther/Henley/Frey.

Topkat
12-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Found this article on the cover shot of Hotel California. Pretty interesting

http://www.antimusic.com/news/13/December/09The_Story_Behind_The_Eagles_Hotel_California_Alb um_Cover.shtml#.Uq5JnfRDuh0

MaryCalifornia
12-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Felder did not have the vocal ability to sing the song as Henley pointed out in HOTE. They tried to let him do it but it didn't work. Henley then says 'it would be like me asking to play lead guitar on HC'. Frey was even more direct. He says 'Felder wasn't a singer'. I will leave it there.

I've always thought that Glenn's comment there was so petty. From what I understand, Felder tours and sings lead on lots of songs, and releases solo albums on which he sings, and people go to his shows and seem to enjoy them...it seems like he is a "singer" to me. I'm glad he didn't let Glenn's impression of him shame him into not singing. Maybe he gained more confidence in his singing after he was out of the band. He may have been the weakest of the Eagles singers, but that's a pretty tall order. I certainly don't think they were required to let him sing lead on anything, but there's a difference between saying Felder's performance on that song wasn't up to band standards, and saying Felder wasn't a singer.

thelastresort
12-15-2013, 10:24 PM
I've always thought that Glenn's comment there was so petty. From what I understand, Felder tours and sings lead on lots of songs, and releases solo albums on which he sings, and people go to his shows and seem to enjoy them...it seems like he is a "singer" to me. I'm glad he didn't let Glenn's impression of him shame him into not singing. Maybe he gained more confidence in his singing after he was out of the band. He may have been the weakest of the Eagles singers, but that's a pretty tall order. I certainly don't think they were required to let him sing lead on anything, but there's a difference between saying Felder's performance on that song wasn't up to band standards, and saying Felder wasn't a singer.

That's what I thought, he must be doing something right! OK compared to Henley and Randy he wasn't amazing, but from what I've seen of his solo work he is far, far away from not being a singer...

MaryCalifornia
12-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Maybe back in the 70s he truly wasn't a singer, just a guitar player who wanted to sing, and he has since honed that skill...

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-15-2013, 10:31 PM
I also like Marc Eliot's comment about Try and Love Again. The song is exceptional and has a lot of emotion in the song. It is very under-rated on the HC album. If it had been released as a single, it would have been a hit single. As far as being better or worse than the others that were released, that is a matter of opinion. All the songs were good, it just depends on what you like better.

MC, I agree with you about Don Felder. He wasn't the best singer with the Eagles (but all of these guys were exceptional singers) but he does have a good voice and does sing very well on his solo albums. There is no reason to say that he is not a singer.

The HC album was perfect as it was released, it needed no more or no less.

This my opinion, not to be taken any other way.

Freypower
12-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Have you heard the Road To Forever album?

Felder can sing in tune but he cannot 'sell a song'. He is workmanlike, at best. Please note this is only my opinion. I agree that he should be given credit for going out & giving it a shot, but I am never going to pretend that he is particularly good at it.

As for TALA it is impossible to say with certainty that it would have been a hit single. It may have been.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-15-2013, 10:37 PM
Again, everyone has an opinion!!!

sodascouts
12-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Of course we must remember that the appeal of a vocal is largely subjective. Some people disparage Stevie Nicks' voice but I think she's one of the most compelling there is. In the same way, some people like Felder's voice more than others.

In the case of Felder, my personal opinion is that he has a gritty quality to his voice that certainly can appeal to many. I have bought both of his solo albums and traveled several hours to attend a solo show. I would do so again.

However, I do not feel his voice has the same distinctiveness as his fellow Eagles and I think he does suffer in comparison. That's JMHO though.

If you'd like to hear him sing VoL, you can find him doing it live on YouTube. Judge for yourself.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Good comment, Soda. A lot of things in life are subjective. To each his own.

12-15-2013, 11:01 PM
His minor-key mourning of the end of one life while looking toward another with the hope of getting beyond, if not over, the disappointment and disillusionment of love lost is gorgeously rendered. Accompanied by Glenn Frey's superb lead guitar, the song is full of classic American rock heartbreak. In many ways, it is the sleeper gem of the album.

I also agree with Marc Eliot's quote regarding T&LA. I really do love the song very much, but I can understand why it wasn't released as a single at the time. I have definitely come to appreciate it much more with time, along with all of the other songs on Side Two of the album.

With regard to Felder's vocal abilities I don't think he has a bad voice at all. But, it's not that strong compared to the other members in the band. It's pretty much the same with Glenn's guitar abilities. He is a really good guitarist, but his skills were definitely overshadowed by Joe and Felder.

MaryCalifornia
12-15-2013, 11:24 PM
Of course we must remember that the appeal of a vocal is largely subjective. Some people disparage Stevie Nicks' voice

Blasphemy!!

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-15-2013, 11:33 PM
Stevie Nicks has one of the most beautiful and unique voices I have every heard. Even when she sings back up her voice is so distinct.

luna65
12-15-2013, 11:35 PM
I also believe that when you like the person, their singing is more appealing to you than if you don't like them at all.
Certainly; appreciation of talent is a subjective undertaking. Someone can possess talent which is universally or objectively definable, but in terms of what is best/worst, good/bad all depends on one's orientation to said subject. I say this because I get into it with guys on a regular basis in the eternal debate regarding Steve Howe vs. Trevor Rabin (aka Classic Yes vs. YesWest).

I feel I should point out that the songwriting credit for VOL is Felder/Souther/Henley/Frey.
Wasn't sure if you were addressing this to me? That's precisely why I made the comment I did, because of the involvement of all four in the writing and arranging of the song.

moonlight74
12-16-2013, 01:32 AM
You are knowledgeable Luna65, nice having you here.

UndertheWire
12-16-2013, 04:23 AM
Felder sounds ok on the youtube VoL and he's also not bad on Those Shoes. I'd guess it's because they're primarily guitar pieces and the vocals are less important than on the ballads. However, if he'd sung lead on the recording, I wonder if VoL would have been relegated to the back lot, like Visions. Perhaps it needs Henley's vocals to tie it into the Eagles sound.

luna65
12-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Thank you, moonlight74, that's very kind of you to say. :)

Midnight Visitor
12-16-2013, 01:32 PM
Most things need Henley's voice! Songs that aren't even Eagles or Don solo songs NEED Henley's vocals. What an amazing soulful voice!

MaryCalifornia
12-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Haha, good one MV, I agree! Don should record every song that's on my iPod! I want to hear him sing everything (even ICTYW) (Of course Timothy's will always be # 1, but I would like to hear it!). We should start a thread...songs on my iPod that Don Henley should sing :grooving:

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Most things need Henley's voice! Songs that aren't even Eagles or Don solo songs NEED Henley's vocals. What an amazing soulful voice!

Don does have a wonderful voice. You are right, he could sing anything.

Midnight Visitor
12-16-2013, 04:23 PM
I'd listen to him sing the telephone book or the dictionary! Whatever. It's a most impressive voice and stays good to this day.

zeldabjr
12-16-2013, 04:49 PM
oh yes I agree Don's voice is very distinct, soulful...that's a good word for it...and I would love to hear him sing any song..Eagles or not...yes even ICTYW...would sound awesome!!

moonlight74
12-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Digging down into jeans pocket I found .2 cents. Henley is a good singer but not a great singer. He has inflection, diction and most times he is staying in tune & in key. His is not a powerful or a strong voice - that is rare. This is why the Eagles 4/5 part harmony works so well. Together they balance each other and where one falters another fills in the tough spots.

We all know each of them have to re-arrange the songs they wish to sing into their own key, otherwise the results would make us weep.

A great singer is someone who has multiple octave ranges - the more the better. Case in point Roy Orbison - '5' octaves!
Do I think Meisner is the best singer on this album? Absolutely.

MaryCalifornia
12-16-2013, 04:53 PM
oh yes I agree Don's voice is very distinct, soulful...that's a good word for it...and I would love to hear him sing any song..Eagles or not...yes even ICTYW...would sound awesome!!

Phew...I thought you would berate me for making the suggestion! :rockon::grin:

luna65
12-16-2013, 05:23 PM
I think one of the ways in which they were so successful as a vocal group had to do with the distinctiveness of each of their voices. Voices you would recognize as soon as you heard them, as well as voices which blended together so beautifully.

I know ultimately they couldn't stand working with Glyn Johns but I do believe it's to his credit that as soon as he heard them singing harmonies he knew that would be the key to their identity.

I love Don's voice and I think it works best when he's singing his own lyrics because I think of him as a troubadour in the classic sense of telling stories with his songs; although he's done some great covers too.

zeldabjr
12-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Phew...I thought you would berate me for making the suggestion! :rockon::grin:

LOL...oh no MC...I like the idea of hearing the guys sing each other's songs...I think it would be cool to hear...but I know some people would have a big problem with the idea!! lol...It will never happen...but to me..it would be amazing!

Freypower
12-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Certainly; appreciation of talent is a subjective undertaking. Someone can possess talent which is universally or objectively definable, but in terms of what is best/worst, good/bad all depends on one's orientation to said subject. I say this because I get into it with guys on a regular basis in the eternal debate regarding Steve Howe vs. Trevor Rabin (aka Classic Yes vs. YesWest).

Wasn't sure if you were addressing this to me? That's precisely why I made the comment I did, because of the involvement of all four in the writing and arranging of the song.

You wrote something about 'when Don & J.D. wrote the vocal melody'. You didn't include Glenn, that's all.

Glenn is as good a singer as Don Henley.

luna65
12-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Ah okay; it's because in all the accounts I have read/heard of the song's development, Glenn did not participate in that particular part of it. It wasn't to imply he wasn't involved at all, because of course he was.

Freypower
12-16-2013, 05:59 PM
It seems very strange to me that Glenn, the Lone Arranger, would have had no role in writing a song's vocal melody.

What part of it did he write, then?

randymeisnerrocks
12-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Glenn is as good a singer as Don Henley.

Let's not get carried away here. Frey sings some of my favorite songs ever but even he thought Helney was better. ("I sang less and less. It was intentional. We had Don Henley.")

Freypower
12-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Let's not get carried away here. Frey sings some of my favorite songs ever but even he thought Helney was better. ("I sang less and less. It was intentional. We had Don Henley.")

And I have previously stated my opinion on that comment, and that is where I will leave it, except I suppose my previous post should have come with the apparently now mandatory words 'in my opinion'.

luna65
12-16-2013, 08:37 PM
It seems very strange to me that Glenn, the Lone Arranger, would have had no role in writing a song's vocal melody.

What part of it did he write, then?
The rest of the music; as Felder came up with the riff and his solo but Glenn created the transitions and the structure of the song as a whole as they were playing it during the sessions (since the backing track was recorded with all of them together), in keeping with his role as The Lone Arranger. But on the other hand, it's probable that he arranged the harmonies, since he often did that. To clarify, I was referring to Don's vocal only in my original comment.

As far as Glyn Johns, I really enjoyed what he had to say in the doc. I thought he was quite funny. Maybe the Eagles couldn't stand working with him, but the feeling was mutual.

Yeah it's clear that what Don and Glenn wanted was someone to carry out their vision rather than someone to guide them to it; it's two different styles of working, neither one is better than the other necessarily. But I've always chuckled at some of the stories about those sessions, and it's funny to me that Glyn is wearing the Good Guy hat in the Desperado photo shoot.

thelastresort
12-16-2013, 09:10 PM
Come on guys, all this discussion about whether Don H. or Glenn is the better vocalist, I think we all know the best voice the Eagles ever had was Bernie Leadon :lol:

(To be fair to Bernie though, I think My Man is one of the best songs the Eagles ever did, as it Bitter Creek)

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-16-2013, 09:56 PM
I will take Henley over Frey any day of the week.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Come on guys, all this discussion about whether Don H. or Glenn is the better vocalist, I think we all know the best voice the Eagles ever had was Bernie Leadon :lol:

(To be fair to Bernie though, I think My Man is one of the best songs the Eagles ever did, as it Bitter Creek)

I do love My Man and Bitter Creek. Bernie has a very nice voice.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-16-2013, 10:09 PM
I will take Henley over Frey any day of the week.

Obviously, I feel differently! I said it before and it bears repeating, out of ALL the singers ever, in a band or solo, or angelic voice in a choir, my two favorite voices are Frey and Henley. I'm very lucky they're in the same band, and I can still go see them often! My favorites after them change frequently and some are embarrassing to admit to, like Billy Idol. Don't judge me!

sodascouts
12-16-2013, 10:13 PM
We all have our own order we put the vocalists in. Nothing wrong with it, as long as you don't take digs. Obviously certain members' vocals have appealed more to the mainstream in terms of commercial popularity, but that's not the definitive indicator of quality. As I've said before, one's assessment of the vocalists is up to one's own sensibilities.

Among the Eagles themselves, there seems to be a consensus that Don Henley is the strongest singer, although obviously some of us would disagree. ;)

MaryCalifornia
12-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Billy Idol was my first concert! I recently heard him singing something accapella and I was like, WHO is that? He has a great voice.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Billy could definitely put on a show!!!!!

sodascouts
12-08-2014, 02:36 AM
That time of year again!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOTEL CALIFORNIA!!!

Tiffanny Twisted
12-08-2014, 07:15 AM
This is my favorite eagles lp and it reminds me of seinor year of high school
Happy birthday

Brooke
12-08-2014, 05:14 PM
Happy Birthday Hotel California! A legend! :applause:

SoaringRockyMountainWay
12-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Happy Birthday Hotel California! This is my favorite Eagles album and my favorite song of all time. I listen to it almost every night. It never gets old!

sodascouts
12-08-2014, 07:37 PM
It's not my favorite of their albums, but one thing's for sure: it's the most iconic. Few albums have the kind of impact on pop culture that Hotel California had.

Midnight Visitor
12-08-2014, 10:14 PM
One of the best albums by any band ever. Think I'll listen to it now....

Zanny Kingston
12-08-2014, 10:34 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOTEL CALIFORNIA!!

I was just listening to HC earlier today to ease the pain of sitting in an awful traffic jam! I love this album.

sodascouts
12-08-2014, 10:51 PM
I have a DVD-A of it I'm going to play. Remember those things? I don't even think they make them anymore, but the sound is fantastic.

Midnight Visitor
12-08-2014, 10:54 PM
I have a DVD-A of it I'm going to play. Remember those things? I don't even think they make them anymore, but the sound is fantastic.

I do! They are fantastic. Widest dynamic range possible. Wonderful sound!

Houston Baby
12-09-2014, 09:56 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOTEL CALIFORNIA!!

I wore this album out in the 70s!! I think I went thru 2 of them. :grooving:

Jonny Come Lately
12-10-2014, 02:54 PM
Happy 38th birthday to Hotel California!

This was my first Eagles album and also remains my favourite, it has a great mix of harder rock songs with thoughtful ballads, with a clear central theme (I would not call it a concept album per se, unlike Desperado, as not all of the tracks fit this). In short, it manages to be cohesive while containing great songs.

My ranking of the songs:
1. The Last Resort
2. Hotel California
3. Life In The Fast Lane
4. New Kid In Town
5. Victim Of Love
6. Try And Love Again
7. Wasted Time/Wasted Time Reprise
8. Pretty Maids All In A Row

It's close between The Last Resort and HC itself for top spot but The Last Resort is a very special song to me - I remember enjoying it the first few times I heard it but then on the fourth or fifth listen I thought 'Wow, that song is quite something' so it probably just edges it. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of these songs though.

I think side two of the album tends to get overlooked somewhat, of course all the main hits are on side one but The Last Resort is a lyrical masterpiece and beautifully arranged, VOL is sharply written with great guitar parts, PMAIAR is lovely with relatable yet very personal lyrics and TALA gives Randy and Glenn their chances to shine on vocals and guitar respectively, and they take their only opportunities to do so very well indeed.

shunlvswx
12-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Happy 38th Birthday to HC. I love love love love this album. I don't think there's not one song on there I don't like. I can listen to the whole album without skipping a song.

12-14-2014, 11:21 PM
Sorry I'm so late, but I also want to acknowledge this milestone ...

Such an iconic album - and probably my all time favorite album ever!

sodascouts
12-08-2015, 11:19 PM
And... it turns 39!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOTEL CALIFORNIA!

AlreadyGone95
12-09-2015, 12:50 AM
Happy anniversary to one of the best albums of all time!

shunlvswx
12-09-2015, 02:26 AM
Happy 39th Birthday to the HC album. My favorite album.

Also happy 39th birthday to New Kid In Town this past Monday.

Jonny Come Lately
12-09-2015, 12:37 PM
Happy birthday to this classic album! In my opinion it is the best Eagles album (although Desperado comes pretty close too).

To celebrate I'm just listening to Hotel California itself now. 8)

DivineDon
12-09-2015, 12:41 PM
Brilliant album. Happy anniversary :rockon:

LuvTim
12-09-2015, 01:57 PM
Celebrate HC!!
Love it!! :rockon:

Topkat
12-09-2015, 02:01 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO THE GREAT HOTEL CALIFORNIA!!!

Brooke
12-09-2015, 02:11 PM
Love Hotel California! :applause:

12-09-2015, 04:20 PM

I'll repeat pretty much what I say every year - this is my favorite album of all time. Every single freakin' song is absolutely incredible, IMHO. For me personally, as overplayed as some of the songs may be for some, I just never tire of it and every song still resonates to this very day. A truly timeless and relevant masterpiece!

Tiffanny Twisted
12-09-2015, 08:23 PM
I agree with drramer
This is my favorite Album
I just love it

UndertheWire
01-17-2016, 09:30 AM
If there's a better place to post this, please let me know. It's part of an interview with JD Souther where he talks about the writing of New Kid in Town. Don Henley alays says that JD started the song and that fits with JD's account. He also talks a bit about The Sad Cafe in the interview.

JD: I can. It's okay though because when "New Kid In Town" came out, people asked me for two years after that if it was about Bruce Springsteen. Of course, it's not, it's just about older guys in general losing their jobs to the kids that are coming up behind us. I actually started that song sitting in a Mexican restaurant, which is why it sounds the way it does on this new album. It began as a much more "Tex-Mex" sounding piece of music. I had the chorus in my head for about a year, but I didn't know what to do with it. Where could I go with the story? It was like I knew what I meant but I couldn't fill in all of the details. So, I played it for all my boys and Don and Glenn just said, "Yeah, man. That's the one. Let's go to work on it." So, we made this story and, again, it was sort of a call and response kind of collaboration with each other. It was very competitive, but still very supportive of each other. We wanted the message to get across and be taken seriously. This was a song that we wanted to last 50 years not five weeks, you know?
MR: Yeah, and it's yet another Eagles song that is definitely most memorable.
JD: It seems like it. I'll tell you something, the list of songs that are on this album, with the exception of "Little Victories"--which is actually the theme of the album--the rest of the songs are pretty much the ones that are most requested. But "New Kid In Town" was a great piece that was the result of my collaboration with two great writers, Don Henley and Glenn Frey. But that song never would have been fleshed out to the dimensions it has without those two guys. We all made each other better writers. In my opinion, working with those two guys gave me the confidence to be more of a singer as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-ragogna/sing-it-loud-chatting-wit_b_866590.html

01-17-2016, 02:53 PM
Very interesting interview. I don't ever remember hearing about the speculation of NKIT being about Bruce. And JD also says that after Jackson moved out of the downstairs apartment in Echo Park that he and Glenn occupied them separately - hadn't ever heard that either. Also, thought it was funny that he refers to Longbranch Pennywhistle as 'the world's first acid acoustic duo'. reading these little tidbits - makes it worth reading the entire thing.

Freypower
01-17-2016, 05:12 PM
I had heard the Springsteen claim. A similar claim is made about the eagle who flies out of the night in Solsbury Hill. Gabriel had been to a Springsteen gig not long before so surely the eagle must be Springsteen. The deification of Springsteen is something I have never understood.

NOLA
01-18-2016, 12:54 PM
http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com/2013/09/the-new-kid-in-town.html

A different take on the inspiration behind NKIT. We're all aware of Glenn's love for sports, especially hockey.

01-18-2016, 02:27 PM
We have a thread in Glenn's forum about his friendship with Gene Carr. To be honest, the only person I've ever heard mention that NKIT is about him is Gene himself. I imagine that Glenn must have told that to him at some point, and it is probably at least partially about him. However, my guess is the song is inspired by multiple characters that JD, Glenn, and Don each knew rather than any one specific person. I would think each of them had different individuals come to mind as they were writing the song.

chaim
01-18-2016, 04:37 PM
As I recall, Randy Newman's "Pretty boy" is about Bruce Springsteen. Later he, of course, actually mentioned Springsteen in "My life is good". I don't remember what Randy literally said, but years ago in some interview he wondered what it is about Springsteen that makes people turn into sort of disciples (not his word). People he knows can't stand Springsteen, then they go to his concert and come out as big fans. :hilarious:

Freypower
01-18-2016, 05:09 PM
As I recall, Randy Newman's "Pretty boy" is about Bruce Springsteen. Later he, of course, actually mentioned Springsteen in "My life is good". I don't remember what Randy literally said, but years ago in some interview he wondered what it is about Springsteen that makes people turn into sort of disciples (not his word). People he knows can't stand Springsteen, then they go to his concert and come out as big fans. :hilarious:

I don't want to go off topic but .. 'Rand, how'd you like to be the Boss for awhile'? (cue heavenly music). Sums it up.

02-18-2016, 12:59 PM
Just thought I would acknowledge this momentous day here ...

It was this day in 1978 that the band won Grammies for Hotel California (Record of the Year) and New Kid in Town (Best Arrangement for Voices).

Elizasong
02-18-2016, 05:51 PM
Just thought I would acknowledge this momentous day here ...

It was this day in 1978 that the band won Grammies for Hotel California (Record of the Year) and New Kid in Town (Best Arrangement for Voices).

And they finally picked up their Grammy for HC Monday. :thumbsup:

sad-cafe
02-18-2016, 09:12 PM
I originally got this on 8-track...can you believe it.

since then I had the cassette and then the CD

Last year or the year before my future Son-in-law got me the album for Christmas. It is an original press with the original liner notes and everything and the plastic was still intact.

I debated a long time about opening it or leaving it in the plastic but finally I opened it because it was meant to be played.

Vinyl is far superior to CD when it comes to "feeling" the music

Brooke
02-19-2016, 02:30 PM
And they finally picked up their Grammy for HC Monday. :thumbsup:

Something I wondered about.....I would have thought that since they didn't go to the Grammy's back then because they didn't know if they were going to win or not, wouldn't the Grammy have been sent to them back then? Did the Grammy organization just keep it for all these years?

02-19-2016, 02:46 PM
Brooke - I believe they would've received their 2 Grammy's for HC and NKIT back in 1977.

To me, the gesture the other night after Glenn's tribute was intended to be just a kind of good-natured olive branch. If it were a genuine presentation, they would have presented them with a NKIT award as well, wouldn't they?

Glennhoney
02-19-2016, 06:05 PM
Brooke - I believe they would've received their 2 Grammy's for HC and NKIT back in 1977.

To me, the gesture the other night after Glenn's tribute was intended to be just a kind of good-natured olive branch. If it were a genuine presentation, they would have presented them with a NKIT award as well, wouldn't they?
I didn't "get" that at all....??..why hand over an award which they obviously already had....even if you're not present, you still get your award.....

sodascouts
02-19-2016, 10:05 PM
Yes, the artists that can't come get their Grammys delivered. I guess it was supposed to be a light hearted moment... odd....

But then again, it did seem to cheer Don for a bit.

Funk 50
06-18-2016, 07:11 AM
I had to go through a few pages to find this thread about Hotel California. I must admit that I haven't browsed through the previous posts so I may be reposting something that has been posted previously but I can't recall seeing it before. Filmed shortly after Glenn's death.

From Guitar Player

Filmed at the 2016 Winter NAMM show in Anaheim, California, on January 23, the "Birth of a Record: Hotel California" presented Eagles guitarist Joe Walsh, producer/engineer Bill Szymczyk, and moderator Mr. Bonzai getting deep into the details, myths, and personal stories of the 1976 epic that won two Grammys and generated album sales of more than 32 million units.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/artists/1013/watch-joe-walsh-details-the-making-of-hotel-california/58527

shunlvswx
06-18-2016, 07:50 AM
Thanks for posting this, Funk50. I'm glad their was a whole clip of this. I've seen just a few clips from that day, but not the whole thing. I'm watching it right now.

Eagles7
06-18-2016, 10:32 PM
That clip was a gem! Thanks!

UndertheWire
06-20-2016, 09:04 AM
I enjoyed hearing all of that. Interesting that Joe thinks that Darryl Hall and John Oates were the new kid in town. Hoever, I don't have too much confidence in his memory here as he started talking about Bob Seger before finding his way to JD Souther.

One thing I learned was that Don Felder's tape for the song HC had some kind of bass line. It had chord progression, bass and drum machine but no melody, lyrics or title.

shunlvswx
12-08-2016, 09:50 AM
Happy big 4-0 to Hotel California. New Kid In town just celebrated its 40th birthday yesterday.

This is my all time favorite Eagles album. I can listen to this album from top to bottom without skipping any songs.

I hate we didn't get to see the 40th Anniversary tour for this album. One of the thing the guys were thinking about doing this year before the untimely death of Glenn. I know I would had gone to one of the shows. It would had been cool to hear all the whole album from top to bottom.

buffyfan145
12-08-2016, 11:10 AM
Happy 40th to "Hotel California"!!! :D It's my personal favorite album of theirs. It is bittersweet thinking about the tour they were thinking of doing.

chaim
12-08-2016, 11:24 AM
I enjoyed hearing all of that. Interesting that Joe thinks that Darryl Hall and John Oates were the new kid in town. Hoever, I don't have too much confidence in his memory here as he started talking about Bob Seger before finding his way to JD Souther.

One thing I learned was that Don Felder's tape for the song HC had some kind of bass line. It had chord progression, bass and drum machine but no melody, lyrics or title.

Don says in his book that he wrote the bass line.

Delilah
12-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Happy 40th, Hotel California!!

What a great album, from beginning to end. Glenn said this was their zenith, both Dons said it was their peak. Critics seem to agree. This album consistently ranks among the "best of" lists, and is ranked the best out of all their albums in multiple polls. Non-fans and very casual fans may not know much about the band, but they know of this album, and have heard the title song. There was just enough "creative tension," as Glenn called it, to put together a terrific album that has immortalized the band as one of the best, if not the best rock band, in the country.

My two absolute favorite songs: "New Kid in Town" and "Try and Love Again" but all the songs are great.

Jonny Come Lately
12-08-2016, 03:37 PM
Happy 40th anniversary, Hotel California!

Superb album from start to finish, and still my favourite Eagles album even after a year where my opinion of Desperado has raised higher than ever. It's in my top five of all time, although the exact position varies slightly. Since the last anniversary I have had the immense pleasure of seeing Don perform the legendary title track, Life In The Fast Lane and my personal favourite The Last Resort (a song I never thought I'd see him do, even in a solo show).

Every track on the record is brilliant in its own way. I've probably said this before but even though side one is undeniably one of the best of all time, I think side two is also great. I am a huge fan of The Last Resort but recently I've been really enjoying Try and Love Again. It has one of Randy's best vocals, a great melody and some terrific guitar work, not least by Glenn with his solo in the middle of the solo.

sodascouts
12-08-2016, 09:14 PM
40 YEARS. Incredible!!!

Witchy Woman
12-08-2016, 09:57 PM
One of only 2 albums I find to be absolutely flawless (the other being Master Of Puppets from Metallica). Every song is fantastic.

thelastresort
12-09-2016, 09:32 AM
Happy birthday Hotel California! I don't love this album, I worship it. It's their absolute zenith and one of the finest albums ever recorded. The only part where I think it ever so slightly lets up is TALA, with no disrespect to Randy, it's just a smidgen less good than the rest; but even Wasted Time Reprise holds up pretty well on its own. I can't post this without mentioning three songs in particular: New Kid in Town, Glenn's finest hour with the band and the last half of which is amongst the best music the Eagles ever created; Pretty Maids All in a Row, which emotionally destroys me as a person; and the faultless The Last Resort, a song which changed my life and remains my favourite of all time.

WalshFan88
12-09-2016, 03:46 PM
Happy 40th Birthday to Hotel California...their best album by far AFAIC.

It really took them from stars to superstars and really was their best period, straightahead AOR classic rock with country tinged moments but rockin' hard.

Delilah
12-13-2016, 02:03 PM
I came across this Team Rock article from last month ranking the songs while reading the one about Don F. A strange ranking, IMO-- NKIT #8? I question if they were serious.

1. Wasted Time
2. The Last Resort
3. Wasted Time (Reprise)
4. Hotel California
5. Pretty Maids All in a Row
6. Life in the Fast a Lane
7. Try and Love Again
8. New Kid in Town
9. Victim of Love

That said, I do agree with the statement about The Last Resort and why I have mixed feelings about it (my emphasis added).

2. The Last Resort

“They called it Paradise - I don’t know why,” sings Henley on this, the album closer, distilling the disillusion and despair that courses through the whole album. Which kind of begs the question: how depressed would they have been if their careers had gone badly? Intimations and images of decay abound in this allegory about environmental catastrophe (only five years after The Beach Boys’ Don’t Go Near The Water) and the death of innocence. “Some rich man came and raped the land… put up a lot of ugly boxes.” At which point you might find yourself shouting at the stereo at the sheer hypocritical effrontery of it all as these jet-setting multimillionaire debauchees have their cake - in vast quantities, by all accounts - and eat it, too. But you forgive it all because, dammit, the music’s so pretty.

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-11-04/every-song-on-the-eagles-hotel-california-ranked-from-worst-to-best?ns_type=hidden&ns_campaign=dontmiss&ns_linkname=every-song-on-the-eagles-hotel-california-ranked-from-worst-to-best&ns_articleCount=4&ns_articlePosition=1

Delilah
12-19-2016, 06:13 PM
Still celebrating the 40th anniversary of Hotel California (and looking into who designed the art of Randy's 3rd solo album), I came across this 2011 article about John Kosh, who designed the iconic album cover. Here's what he said about the experience:

After a six-month stint in New York, the family moved to L.A. in 1974 and I soon fell **— with great enthusiasm *— into the West Coast music scene. Heady times. I began working with Peter Asher [Apple] again, who was now managing James Taylor and Linda Ronstadt in LA. This led me directly to Linda’s label — Asylum — and the Eagles. Irving Azoff, their manager, called me in to meet Don Henley and Glenn Frey (they were still friends at this point, so the conversation was fresh and lively). Don Felder was also there, along with the amazing falsetto, Randy Meisner. It was a jolly affair — the Eagles were huge, enjoying hit after hit, and the California rock scene was burgeoning. Their producer and engineer, Bill Szymzyk, brought in an acetate of ‘Hotel California’ — destined to be the first cut on, and the title of, their next album. It was an obvious hit.

Later in the interview:

“It is interesting to note that I got tangled in the same heated debate with Asylum Records over the using of the band’s name on the cover that I had years earlier with EMI in London. I thought it unnecessary to use the words, The Beatles on ‘Abbey Road,’ considering the album was so eagerly anticipated and they were the biggest band in the world at the time. Such was the case with ‘Hotel California.’ By 1976 the Eagles were the biggest band in the world and eventually only the title, ‘Hotel California’ appeared on the original cover of the album.

“Subsequently, as the sales of ‘Hotel California’ went through the roof, lawyers for The Beverly Hills Hotel threatened me with a ‘cease and desist’ action — until it was gently pointed out by my attorney that the hotel’s requests for bookings had tripled since the release of the album.

http://www.goldminemag.com/article/welcome-to-the-album-ar-of-hotel-california

Here's a brief video of him discussing the cover:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B9ufzJ4U2w8&ebc=ANyPxKo3SYD0UMZTwac-tRoyNtaQHAbes6twXzd-q7w7-TYHyqvGZyY7lU2agokBT_W67AqAo7dJjkBI2exGMkx5V0PTNsZ n0Q

travlnman2
12-20-2016, 01:27 PM
Does anyone besides me notice that when Timmothy plays Hotel california he plays the harmonies diffrent then Randy does on the studio? Also Randy plays the Bass harmony diffrently in the Capital Center DVD then on the record?

I wonder if the song has ever been played with Bassline as it was on the record :D

Fast forward to 5:40 this is the isolated bass track from the original master track.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i-YXCNLuJTU&ebc=ANyPxKqG72LTOva9gjsEnsz3lOIMzfoFkPWBmIQ-jXZju1dhXptooh1QU6kJBGT8J3YCgVz2fX1Z

Here is the Capital Center one. Skip to 5:41

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jGJKABBDr6w

Now Farwell 1 with Timmothy Skip to 6:51

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S9MeTn1i72g

Delilah
12-20-2016, 03:13 PM
I guess I don't have a musician's ear b/c I can't detect a difference between the studio version and the Capital Center one. The live performance is kind of buried under the other guitars at times so maybe that's why.

I agree Timothy's sounds a little different but those horns are so distracting it's hard to tell.

One song I have noticed is Take It Easy-- Randy's bass is different live than from what it is in the studio version.

travlnman2
12-20-2016, 07:04 PM
I guess I don't have a musician's ear b/c I can't detect a difference between the studio version and the Capital Center one. The live performance is kind of buried under the other guitars at times so maybe that's why.

I agree Timothy's sounds a little different but those horns are so distracting it's hard to tell.

One song I have noticed is Take It Easy-- Randy's bass is different live than from what it is in the studio version.

I wonder if Walshfan notices this because I think I am the only one who notices it

I believe it is a very noticeable diffrence

sodascouts
12-21-2016, 12:47 PM
Still celebrating the 40th anniversary of Hotel California (and looking into who designed the art of Randy's 3rd solo album), I came across this 2011 article about John Kosh, who designed the iconic album cover. Here's what he said about the experience:

Later in the interview:

http://www.goldminemag.com/article/welcome-to-the-album-ar-of-hotel-california

Here's a brief video of him discussing the cover:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B9ufzJ4U2w8&ebc=ANyPxKo3SYD0UMZTwac-tRoyNtaQHAbes6twXzd-q7w7-TYHyqvGZyY7lU2agokBT_W67AqAo7dJjkBI2exGMkx5V0PTNsZ n0Q

Thanks for the quotes. Quite interesting!

Glad the Beverly Hills Hotel dropped the lawsuit. I can tell you right now that the only reason I've ever set foot in that place - and spent money there - is because it was on the cover of Hotel California.

Delilah
12-22-2016, 05:02 PM
So I'm trying to look up info on other stuff, and I keep finding interesting tidbits about HC that are new to me. Perhaps they are new to others as well. This is from a 2012 GuitarWorld article about Joe and his then-new album, Analog Man.

About "Life in the Fast Lane":

Among his songwriting contributions was the signature guitar riff for the hit “Life in the Fast Lane.”

“That was actually a coordination drill that I’d come up with on guitar to warm up to play live,” he says. “I was just playing it one time and Don Henley goes, ‘What the hell is that!’ Well, it was just an idea floating around. With the Eagles, we would all bring in bits and pieces of music, throw them in a big pile and sort through them.

“Don and Glenn got a hold of that ‘Life in the Fast Lane’ riff. Glenn kinda arranged it, and we did a demo of it. Then Don had the idea of ‘life in the fast lane.’ He put the words together, and we recorded it for real. And then Don Felder and I figured out the guitar work. Once we knew it was an Eagles song, they turned me loose a little bit.”

Walsh and Eagles co-guitarist Don Felder coalesced into a formidable team. “We worked really well together,” Walsh says. “It was competitive. We brought out the best in each other. He would play something, and I’d get an attitude like, ‘Oh yeah? Listen to this.’ And he’d go, ‘Wow, listen to this!’ We would work that way. You can kind of hear that.”

About "Hotel California":

The Eagles began to craft an arrangement, using the working title “Mexican Reggae.” After Henley came up with the song’s masterful lyric, Felder and Walsh were once again let loose.

“Don had his distinct part and I had my distinct part in the body of the song,” Walsh recounts. “And we thought, What if we merged those together? And that was the dual guitar work that develops during the course of the song. Felder had a lot of ways to go with it, and I tried to focus on that.”

The track’s unforgettable dual-guitar harmonies were played live in the studio by Walsh and Felder. “We took a couple of hours to work all those harmonies out and put them on,” Walsh says. “But over that we did individual solos. Like I said, Felder and I were competitive, but in a good way.”

To the best of Walsh’s recollection, he played a Telecaster on “Hotel California,” while Felder played a Les Paul, and of course the 12-string acoustic part. “We always tried to have a single-coil and a humbucker as the personalities of the guitars,” Walsh explains.

“We found that with two Les Pauls, you couldn’t really hear either of them, and two single-coils was too thin. So I ended up being the single-coil guy on ‘Hotel California.’”

I love reading Joe's perspective about how the Eagles came up with song ideas. http://www.guitarworld.com/interview-joe-walsh-discusses-his-career-gear-and-new-album-analog-man

sodascouts
12-22-2016, 05:21 PM
I had to look up what "single-coil" and "humbucker" meant, lol. Learn something new every day! I enjoy reading about these kind of things, too. Thanks for posting them.

chaim
12-22-2016, 11:12 PM
Does anyone besides me notice that when Timmothy plays Hotel california he plays the harmonies diffrent then Randy does on the studio? Also Randy plays the Bass harmony diffrently in the Capital Center DVD then on the record?

I wonder if the song has ever been played with Bassline as it was on the record :D

Fast forward to 5:40 this is the isolated bass track from the original master track.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i-YXCNLuJTU&ebc=ANyPxKqG72LTOva9gjsEnsz3lOIMzfoFkPWBmIQ-jXZju1dhXptooh1QU6kJBGT8J3YCgVz2fX1Z

Here is the Capital Center one. Skip to 5:41

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jGJKABBDr6w

Now Farwell 1 with Timmothy Skip to 6:51

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S9MeTn1i72g

I have never liked Timothy's version of that one. He has always played certain notes very low. It still doesn't work to (for?) my years.

Funk 50
12-23-2016, 09:50 AM
I've recently read an interview with Randy, in which he says the bass part on Hotel California was Felder's. Randy played it on the album but it was very difficult bass part to play and sing at the same time, which would explain why the live versions from both Randy and Tim don't match the album version.

thelastresort
12-23-2016, 11:29 AM
I've recently read an interview with Randy, in which he says the bass part on Hotel California was Felder's. Randy played it on the album but it was very difficult bass part to play and sing at the same time, which would explain why the live versions from both Randy and Tim don't match the album version.

That is interesting. I have always wondered if in the Eagles there were ever any parts where the complexity of the music negated someone singing, it never occurred to me that if there was you' just change the music :lol:

I suppose the obvious example of having to chop and change vocals and music would be Felder being drafted in to play slide on GDIH: Glenn could both sing and play slide rather well, but I doubt it would have been easy to do both simultaneously on that song! Similarly, I never managed to work out why Don H. could still sing the falsetto and play the awkward rhythm to OOTN well into his sixties, but gave up the likes of LITFL. His choice I know, but if he can survive OOTN he can survive anything!

chaim
12-24-2016, 12:41 AM

I believe we are talking about the bit beneath the guitar solo (no vocals), where the "reggae" bassline disappears and the bass player plays just the root notes. For some reason Timothy prefers to play certain notes really low on the neck - especially the last two notes of the chord progression (e and f sharp). A matter of taste I guess, but sometimes I don't like it when the bass goes real low. You don't have to play the lowest possible E only because you can.

chaim
12-24-2016, 12:54 AM
I've been thinking about this lately...In the 70's Don F started to use a double neck on HC, so that he would be able to play the "chord arpeggio" as well as certain electric parts. On the record, as we know, it's a 12 string acoustic, so the electric 12 string was a compromise.

These days technology enables you to do stuff you couldn't do convincingly in the 70's. You can mike instruments better on stage etc. So why doesn't he have a 12 string acoustic on a stand, like guitarists occasionally do when they have parts for different instruments? (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f4/f5/03/f4f503e485acec03b392de7a5c1bfd0e.jpg) Steve Howe does that a lot. Has Don tried it, but couldn't get a good sound? Has the doubleneck become such an "icon" visually, and associated with his masterpiece (no sarcasm intended!), that he sticks to it for that reason?

Funk 50
12-24-2016, 08:42 AM
After playing Hotel California a certain way for 40 years, I suppose that becomes the definitive version. As well as going electric, the Eagles used to use guitar tech Jage Jackson as an extra guitarist to boost the sound during the intro to Hotel California. Big venues needed a big sound.

A couple of years ago, Ed Sheeran played a 2 hour, solo (ie. all by himself) acoustic, stadium show (helped by a lot of tech wizardry) so the technology is definitely available, although the difficulty is probably feedback, when there is more than one instrument in the mix.
When I first heard the Eagles Live album, I was disappointed to hear Joe play Life's Been Good's iconic acoustic guitar riff on electric guitar. With three top guitarists on stage, I was expecting Glenn or Don to play it.

After a couple of thousand live performances, the acoustic doesn't seem so essential. 8)

sodascouts
12-24-2016, 04:22 PM
Has the doubleneck become such an "icon" visually, and associated with his masterpiece (no sarcasm intended!), that he sticks to it for that reason?

I think this is the main reason. The doubleneck looks cool, and people expect to see it. It's become associated with HC and I think people would miss it if he stopped using it.

Freypower
12-24-2016, 06:10 PM
After playing Hotel California a certain way for 40 years, I suppose that becomes the definitive version. As well as going electric, the Eagles used to use guitar tech Jage Jackson as an extra guitarist to boost the sound during the intro to Hotel California. Big venues needed a big sound.

A couple of years ago, Ed Sheeran played a 2 hour, solo (ie. all by himself) acoustic, stadium show (helped by a lot of tech wizardry) so the technology is definitely available, although the difficulty is probably feedback, when there is more than one instrument in the mix.
When I first heard the Eagles Live album, I was disappointed to hear Joe play Life's Been Good's iconic acoustic guitar riff on electric guitar. With three top guitarists on stage, I was expecting Glenn or Don to play it.

After a couple of thousand live performances, the acoustic doesn't seem so essential. 8)

Without getting off topic I would have liked that riff to be played on acoustic too, but it's Joe's song, so he was expected to play it, not somebody else, hence he had to play it electric.