PDA

View Full Version : Fun playing Eagles songs

des0free
12-22-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm just a self taught amateur but I love playing Eagles songs from my Eagles for Easy Guitar book (see link to MP3 files below). Just simplified versions with basic chords. Hopefully I didn't butcher them too badly. Playing the songs, even if you're a complete amateur like me, is very fun.

http://www.soundclick.com/AgaveBlueCaster

Glennsallnighter
12-30-2009, 03:51 AM
No you didn't butcher them, I love playing Eagles songs on the guitar as well but I don't have the singing voice to accompany them, so I usually use cds for the voice!

You are right. It IS fun.

MikeA
12-30-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm just a self taught amateur but I love playing Eagles songs from my Eagles for Easy Guitar book (see link to MP3 files below). Just simplified versions with basic chords. Hopefully I didn't butcher them too badly. Playing the songs, even if you're a complete amateur like me, is very fun.

http://www.soundclick.com/AgaveBlueCaster

I like what you've done with the tunes! What are using to record with? I mean what guitar, mic, audio interface and software are you using? The recordings you made are well balanced and the guitar and vocals are coming through very clean. Good Job.

des0free
01-03-2010, 07:17 PM
I like what you've done with the tunes! What are using to record with? I mean what guitar, mic, audio interface and software are you using? The recordings you made are well balanced and the guitar and vocals are coming through very clean. Good Job.

Thanks for the feedback! I used a Boss Micro BR, which is an amazing little pocket sized $200 4-track digital recorder with built in condenser mic, drum patterns, and electric guitar input and effects processor. You can mix & master on the box to mp3 and download to computer via USB.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-MICRO-BR-Digital-Recorder?sku=241152

I used an Epiphone DR-500M acoustic guitar, Fender Standard Telecaster, and Squier Bronco Bass.

sodascouts
01-05-2010, 12:30 AM
Welcome des!

MikeA
01-05-2010, 10:39 AM
DESoFree,

Man, there are so many options for recording any more! I like the idea of the portability of that Boss unit you have. Making a choice amid all the options available is almost overwhelming. You don't want to get stuck with something that you can't use they way you want to use it and about the only way to be sure is to get your hands on it for about a week and "live" with it.

I've gone with a mixing board, a USB Audio Interface, and Audacity as my DAW for now. I like some of the effects you can squeeze out of the GearBox (PodFarm) software but mostly, I bypass all of that software and just use the raw sound directly from my VOX AD30. Granted, I do use the mic preamps in Gearbox for vocals. I layer the tracks in Audacity until I get what I want and then do a mixdown into MP3.

For equipment, I have outdated Realistic Optimus microphones, Gibson Les Paul, Fender Prodigy (Frakenstrat), Epiphone Sheraton II and an Acoustic Seagull S6. I sometimes run my Epi through a Fender Acoustasonic Jr. amp to get a really clean sound, but honestly, the Epi overdrives the amp which is made more for acoustic pickups.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Very nice, desofree, and welcome from me as well. Hope you enjoy yourself here on The Border.

des0free
01-07-2010, 12:51 PM
DESoFree,

Man, there are so many options for recording any more! I like the idea of the portability of that Boss unit you have. Making a choice amid all the options available is almost overwhelming. You don't want to get stuck with something that you can't use they way you want to use it and about the only way to be sure is to get your hands on it for about a week and "live" with it.

I've gone with a mixing board, a USB Audio Interface, and Audacity as my DAW for now. I like some of the effects you can squeeze out of the GearBox (PodFarm) software but mostly, I bypass all of that software and just use the raw sound directly from my VOX AD30. Granted, I do use the mic preamps in Gearbox for vocals. I layer the tracks in Audacity until I get what I want and then do a mixdown into MP3.

For equipment, I have outdated Realistic Optimus microphones, Gibson Les Paul, Fender Prodigy (Frakenstrat), Epiphone Sheraton II and an Acoustic Seagull S6. I sometimes run my Epi through a Fender Acoustasonic Jr. amp to get a really clean sound, but honestly, the Epi overdrives the amp which is made more for acoustic pickups.

I also have a toneport DI with gearbox that I got for $99, and used with Reaper recording software and EZ-drummer drum machine on the PC, but sometimes had problems with latency causing delay in recording. And then I got a PC with Windows 7 and couldn't get gearbox to work at all on that.

MikeA
01-07-2010, 02:26 PM
I also have a toneport DI with gearbox that I got for $99, and used with Reaper recording software and EZ-drummer drum machine on the PC, but sometimes had problems with latency causing delay in recording. And then I got a PC with Windows 7 and couldn't get gearbox to work at all on that.

I've heard of the problems with the drivers and Win7. Just have to be a bit patient with that I guess. Unfortunately, for the Gearbox software that came out with the ToneDirect Line6 unit, I fear that it is a dinosaur and will probably never be updated for Win7. But the PodFarm and POD stuff...I supposed Line6 will be hot after offering updated drivers for those.

But as for the latency, I've never had a problem with it using XP Home. I'm using Audacity and have no complaints with it. I tried Abelton Live and CuBase and wasn't impressed. Very expensive and they have a HUGE learning curve. I have heard good things about Reaper but I've never tried it.

I normally lay tracks down one at a time and layer them so I'm either singing or playing along to something I've already recorded. I come out of the Analog Outs on the ToneDirect device and run that to an acoustic amp. If there is any latency, I cannot detect it. I just have to be sure my sound device is set to the Line6 Audio device rather than my Sound Card in the PC. I have used Line6 in and Sound Card out and while that doesn't impact latency in any way, it does degrade the sound I'm hearing. My PC speakers just aren't Klispch or anything special so the amplifier's 2 8" stereo speakers sound much better.