PDA

View Full Version : MySpace on its way out?

sodascouts
01-20-2010, 04:54 PM
MySpace was all the rage as recently as a year ago, but now it seems most of my friends have transitioned over to Facebook and Twitter. And after all that time I spent making MySpaces for the sites! Ah well, such is the way of trends.... remember MySpace's precursor Friendster? Nobody's on that now, as attested by this hilarious video.

Although I appreciate that MySpace allows for more creativity in design and the use of multimedia on profiles, it is also riddled with spam, phishing, and other security issues. On MySpace, I personally had to deal with cyber-stalking, harassment, and fake accounts pretending to be me or pretending affiliation with the EOC network sites (see the thread I was forced to start about it here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1666) - Guess I should be flattered there are folks out there who would devote that much time/effort to lil' ol' me! ;) )

Also, I am unimpressed with MySpace's latest efforts to mimic Facebook's status updates and applications in order to regain those who've left its ranks for the other social network. Plus, despite the fact that its members are of all age groups, MySpace still maintains a reputation of being mostly populated by teens. Facebook started as a college-driven site. Again, although that is no longer true, many users still perceive Facebook as the "more adult." And what teen doesn't want to be like the college kids?

Anyone agree? Disagree?

MikeA
01-20-2010, 05:09 PM
I'll hang on to MySpace for a bit just to keep up on Dilana's updates. She seems more committed to MS than FB. Lucy seems to orient more to FB.

But TRUTH: I see very little activity on MS and tons on FB.

And I do agree....FB does seem more oriented toward Adults: All those "games" and everything <LOL>.

I gotta admit...I very seldom check in on MS or FB or Tweedle-de-dee. I guess I'm a forum hound between here on The Border and on Recording Review. Plus cruising on Sweetwater's site and NewEgg.

EagleLady
01-20-2010, 05:19 PM
I've been more on FB than MS Lately myself

Peekaboo
01-20-2010, 05:29 PM
I very rarely get on myspace these days. I think I logged in to mine about a month ago. I don't know why I don't get on there anymore. I've actually had a Facebook page longer than i've had a myspace page. I joined facebook in 2003 when it was all the craze for college kids. I was a sophmore at OU at the time. Then I signed up with myspace around 2005. I didn't really no what all the buzz was about with these social networking sites when i first signed up but after a while I really got into myspace (about 2 years ago). Until about 2 months, I didn't really care to log on to my facebook and I even forgot my password but i was hearing from friends and coworkers that I should start getting on there again. I eventually gave in and now i'm totally addicted to facebook. I'm so addicted to farming and playing bejewelled on there. Plus, i've found a lot of my highschool friends and some family members that I haven't seen in years.

I've heard from a few people that sometime this year the owners/creators of Facebook are going to be charging people to use the site. I certainly hope this isn't true.

EagleLady
01-20-2010, 05:31 PM
I use both FarmVille and Farm Town, and PetVille, YoVille, My Zoo and Mafia Wars

sodascouts
01-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Peek, that's a hoax. My one main pet peeve with FB are all the hoax groups that take advantage of people's trust. That's why I NEVER repost "warnings." They are almost always fake.

Peekaboo
01-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Peek, that's a hoax.

Good to know. I just heard that from someone at work.

Fan_For_Life
01-20-2010, 05:44 PM
I signed on to MS back in 2006 and it took me this long to come up with 400 or so friends. Now that I don't have internet it's hard for me to get to it. Mine is basically a fan site anyway, I certainly didn't get very personal with it. I have to say the best thing to come from any site like this is being able to meet other fans some that have either travelled to FL or me travelling to meet up with them for shows. Now I basically keep up with them through forums.

sodascouts
01-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Another pet peeve of mine regarding Facebook: all the "IF [large number of] PEOPLE JOIN THIS GROUP [desirable event occurs]" groups.

The following are ALL REAL GROUPS on Facebook:

If 1,170,000 People Join My Girlfriend Will Marry Me! (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=photos&gid=191904666638&so=45)
Maybe this dude should reconsider a proposal to a girl who has told him she won't marry him unless over a million people tell her to. Has he considered the possibility that this is her way of saying "Hell no, I won't marry you, you lame-o!"

If 1 Million People Join My Dad Will not Put Our Dog to sleep (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=250295195420)
So, your dog is old and sick, but your dad is so affected by strangers he doesn't know on Facebook that he will spend whatever it takes to keep the dog alive as long as possible? Um. Yeah.

If this group Reaches 500,000 members I will name my son Batman (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2304762991&ref=search&sid=41509233.1173989856..1)
I pray this is a hoax.

If 100,000 People Join This Group, My Friend Will Get Off Of Death Row (http://eu-es.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&viewas=0&gid=2229973890)
Yes, there are people who believe this claim that a judge would listen to random Facebook users when deciding a Death Row case. I believe the word "gullible" would be fair to use here.

And this is just a few of 'em! There are apparently many, many folks out there who will say anything just to have a group with a lot of members. These people are pathetic, but what is truly sad is how many people are having their trust abused and falling for it.

Midnight_Flyer
01-20-2010, 05:58 PM
i usually go on both, if i log in to facebook, i usually log into myspace
on facebook, i've found loads of family members i haven't seen in years or even know i had :)

also on facebook, i'm addicted to the games..cafe world, petville, bejeweled blitz and island paradise

EagleLady
01-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Yes, Facebook has cons, but I believe the pros outweigh the cons, particularly it being easier to navigate than Myspace and having more applications on there.

MikeA
01-20-2010, 06:19 PM
My Wife joined FB last night to keep up with a friend who has a son in South Korea being treated with some kind of treatable Leukemia. She's flying out really soon to be with her son and the only way she and Verna can keep up with what's going on will be through FB with the updates her friend will post...probably with a cell phone.

Anyway, I logged in to send her contact information from friends of ours I'd tracked down (or who had tracked me down...mostly Eagles Fans). I had over a 100 invitations, gifts, and other crap built up. With that much stuff in there that I care absolutely nothing about, it is easy to overlook something from someone I would have been interested in. I nuked all of them! <LOL>

GlennLover
01-20-2010, 10:28 PM
I never did get into MS. I joined FB a couple of years ago at the urging of a friend but never logged in much. Since I haven't been working I started logging into FB & am now addicted. I have found some long lost friends & am keeping in touch with a lot of people from work.

I play Farmville, Farm Town & Fish World & I always welcome new neighbours! PM me, anybody who wants another neighbour. I have even met a new online friend from Washington state who has been to my city here on the east coast of Canada. Small world!

Maleah
01-21-2010, 12:11 AM
The reason I pretty much vacated MS is because all of my friends, with the exception of one, migrated to FB for the most part. I was content with sitting on the fence, using both fairly equally. ;) I liked the customization of MS and how easy it was to keep up with people on FB. However, MS has REALLY gone downhill with all the spam and crap that happens over there now. It seems like the only people that are still there are artists/bands. I'm guessing this is because of the ease with which MS allows you to create a site and upload your music. It opened up a whole new world for artists not too long ago. But now it's like a ghost town over there. I only sign in to converse with my lone ranger friend over there and to keep up with DHO's page.

The thing that I love about facebook is that it's easy to keep up with friends with the status updates and so on. I like the interaction with the games, fan pages, friends (of course), and so on. If there are apps that i don't want to deal with, I simply block all invites and updates from them. Granted, it can sometimes get annoying how many new ones keep popping up....but once you find one that you like, it gets quite addicting. ;)

Needless to say, for the moment, Facebook and Twitter are here to stay and the way to go. I'm sure this will change in a few years though. lol

TimothyBFan
01-21-2010, 08:42 AM
I'm a facebook girl also. Joined at the urging of my sister in law because Larry's brother was in Egypt for a couple of years and we have family all over the country also so it was nice to keep up with each other that way. Since then, I have been contacted by several of my old classmates and friends I hadn't been in contact with for years. Several people from this board and my Sweet board are also friends on there. I love it. I don't play any of the games but the music trivia games are my addiction. (I see you guys that I'm friends with on there nodding your heads as you read that last line!)

Troubadour
01-22-2010, 11:58 AM
I've had a Facebook account for years, but I never really kept up with it until recently. Now I'm on there quite a bit - it's nice to be able to keep up with you guys, and other friends. I can also post from my BlackBerry, so I like being able to browse what's going on when I'm bored on the bus, or at work!

I haven't been onto MySpace for a while. I have an on-off relationship with it! It has its uses, but the general consensus seems to be that Facebook is the place to hang out. It definitely gives me a safer, friendly, more intimate vibe than MySpace.

sodascouts
06-13-2011, 02:37 PM
MySpace has taken one more step towards oblivion... they have made it no longer possible to customize css design. Not only that, but the designs of all the old MySpaces are being stripped! You don't have a CHOICE. All your work is put in the crapper just because they wanna copycat Facebook. Some of my designs are still intact, but it's just a matter of time before they go too, according to MySpace. I spent HOURS and HOURS on those. I want to freaking delete ALL the Myspaces now because I am SO FREAKING PISSED OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

new ugly myspaces:

http://www.myspace.com/henleyonline
http://www.myspace.com/joewalshonline

Ones with the old design still intact for now, but not for much longer:

http://www.myspace.com/eaglesonlinecentral
http://www.myspace.com/gfonline
http://www.myspace.com/tbso

TimothyBFan
06-14-2011, 08:00 AM
I do feel for everyone that really embraced MySpace and were so creative with it only to have them change it all. Not nice!!:sad:

Troubadour
06-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Yeah, that sucks, Nancy. I'm sorry they changed your profiles without your consent.

sodascouts
06-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the sympathy. It's so infuriating to be screwed over like this! That's why you can never completely trust third-party sites with your content.

luvthelighthouse
06-14-2011, 10:10 AM
I would be upset too. That really blows! Not to mention, they didn't even give you any warning about what they were doing. Sorry all your hardwork is gone.