PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Funk 50
02-26-2015, 02:43 PM
This person actually thinks the 'legends' of hip-hop should be able to sell out stadiums and big arenas like the Eagles, just because they've been around for a while. He doesn't get that the reason they play in small theaters is because their songs suck. He thinks it's an injustice that they've been dissed. Seriously. He seems to think fans owe them something.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...to-hustle.html

The Arena tour circuit is a very recent phenomenon. A lot of the legends of the 50s and 60s spent decades touring small venues. Many still do.

Before the Woodstock era, most bands would play just a handful of songs on a multi-act bill. Sometimes on a variety bill.

I remember my jaw hitting the floor when I was watching a re-run of an early 70s, local tv, variety show, The Wheel Tappers And Shunter's Social Club. They had a magician, some acrobats and a comic etc, then Colin Crompton announced '60's American singing legend, Roy Orbison!

Oh Pretty Woman faded away as the credits came up.

The rock legends just got lucky. Right time, right place.

When I first saw the Eagles live, it was a bit odd watching a band performing without a visible lead singer.

Don's enforced solo career during the 80s and the development of the Jumbotron screens during the 90s were major factors in the continued live success of the Eagles and their singing drummer.

Topkat
02-26-2015, 05:33 PM
This person actually thinks the 'legends' of hip-hop should be able to sell out stadiums and big arenas like the Eagles, just because they've been around for a while. He doesn't get that the reason they play in small theaters is because their songs suck. He thinks it's an injustice that they've been dissed. Seriously. He seems to think fans owe them something.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/02/26/no-respect-for-hip-hop-s-ogs-why-many-legendary-mcs-still-need-to-hustle.html

Yes, and they called the Eagles a "forgettable" band. Really??? The rappers cannot even SING let alone play anything. They are "Legends in their own MIND"

NightMistBlue
02-27-2015, 02:28 PM
Wow, the ignorance of that writer is just breathtaking.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-28-2015, 10:43 AM
Lindsay Buckingham seems to think the Eagles always know what they want and wishes FM could be more like them.

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2015/02/28/fleetwood-mac-the-eagles-lindsey-buckingham/

Ive always been a dreamer
02-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Shoot - I keep getting a malware threat when I try to open the site, so I'm reluctant to bypass it until I see if anyone else is having any problems with it. I'd appreciate if others would let me know because I am really interested in reading what Lindsey has to say.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-28-2015, 01:01 PM
I have Malwarebytes Premium version and it didn't give me a warning when I opened the link.

02-28-2015, 08:03 PM
I have Webroot software and here's the message I'm getting ...

We recommend that you don't continue to this website because it is reported to contain the following threats:

Suspicious threat:

This is a suspicious site. There is a higher than average probability that you will be exposed to malicious links or payloads.

I love Webroot but I find it does target some sites that other malware does not detect. Better safe than sorry I guess, but if others aren't having a problem, I'll probably trust that it's okay.

And now about the commentary on hip-hop music, the author writes:

These veteran rap icons don’t book huge venues because there just isn’t a large enough audience for their music. And for this, we have radio to thank.I have to respectfully disagree with the fine gentleman. There isn't a large enough audience for the music because it doesn't appeal to most people. Thus, it doesn't get radio play. Believe me, if enough people wanted to listen, they would be selling out arenas and be all over the radio - plain and simple.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-28-2015, 09:06 PM
Sorry, Dreamer, I thought you meant the link for the article on Lindsay Buckingham! Of course, I don't get a warning about the other one, either. Just when you go to ANY of these links, don't click on pictures to make them bigger and don't click on ads or other links. Malware is often embedded in all these things. They pull you in with something legitimate, then tempt you into clicking on something you shouldn't. The sites are usually legitimate but they sell ad space to those who are not.

As for the hip-hop article, as far as I can tell, a main problem is their target audience doesn't really exist. People who are into hip-hop are into the newest thing and not the old thing. People who were fans when they were popular are now at the age group where they have kids and responsibilities and money is tight. Tight enough that they don't want to pay a lot of money for something that no longer comes up to scratch.

Funk 50
03-01-2015, 06:23 AM
Lindsay Buckingham seems to think the Eagles always know what they want and wishes FM could be more like them.

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2015/02/28/fleetwood-mac-the-eagles-lindsey-buckingham/

Lindsay's comments could be posted on the "Dumb things said about the Eagles" thread.

Fleetwood Mac are not one of my favourite bands but I'm pretty sure, despite their struggles, they've produced far more LPs than the Eagles. Even ignoring the pre-Stevie/Lindsay era.

It's probably an advantage to have a drummer who needs a band to drum for. Nowadays, Henley is more of a singer/songwriter than a drummer.

03-01-2015, 02:20 PM
Sorry, Dreamer, I thought you meant the link for the article on Lindsay Buckingham! Of course, I don't get a warning about the other one, either. Just when you go to ANY of these links, don't click on pictures to make them bigger and don't click on ads or other links. Malware is often embedded in all these things. They pull you in with something legitimate, then tempt you into clicking on something you shouldn't. The sites are usually legitimate but they sell ad space to those who are not.

As for the hip-hop article, as far as I can tell, a main problem is their target audience doesn't really exist. People who are into hip-hop are into the newest thing and not the old thing. People who were fans when they were popular are now at the age group where they have kids and responsibilities and money is tight. Tight enough that they don't want to pay a lot of money for something that no longer comes up to scratch.

Sorry VA - I guess I kinda switched gears on you in my last post. The link I'm getting the malware warning on is the Lindsey Buckingham article. I'm familiar with how malware gets embedded in links, but sometimes if my mouse hovers over a live link even briefly, it will open even if I don't click it, so I have to be really cautious.

And to switch gears again back to to hip-hop article, I agree with what you are saying. But, apparently unlike Eagles fans, for example, those former hip-hop fans who have grown up maybe aren't passing their fandom on to the next generation. I think the bottom line is that hip-hop music just doesn't enjoy the mass appeal that Eagles music does. BTW, I also think the author exaggerated quite a bit to make his point. He listed numerous rock and roll artists that are selling out arenas, when in fact, very few actually do. As we have mentioned in other threads, in order for most rock and rollers to sell out arenas these days, they have to partner with several other acts. I guess it's possible that even if hip-hop artists did the same thing, they still couldn't attract the same numbers as rock and roll acts. To paraphrase what some wise musicians once said 'It's all about song power'! :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
03-01-2015, 03:28 PM
Sorry VA - I guess I kinda switched gears on you in my last post. The link I'm getting the malware warning on is the Lindsey Buckingham article. I'm familiar with how malware gets embedded in links, but sometimes if my mouse hovers over a live link even briefly, it will open even if I don't click it, so I have to be really cautious.

And to switch gears again back to to hip-hop article, I agree with what you are saying. But, apparently unlike Eagles fans, for example, those former hip-hop fans who have grown up maybe aren't passing their fandom on to the next generation. I think the bottom line is that hip-hop music just doesn't enjoy the mass appeal that Eagles music does. BTW, I also think the author exaggerated quite a bit to make his point. He listed numerous rock and roll artists that are selling out arenas, when in fact, very few actually do. As we have mentioned in other threads, in order for most rock and rollers to sell out arenas these days, they have to partner with several other acts. I guess it's possible that even if hip-hop artists did the same thing, they still couldn't attract the same numbers as rock and roll acts. To paraphrase what some wise musicians once said 'It's all about song power'! :thumbsup:

I agree, although the hip hop acts he spoke of were partnering with several others and STILL only selling out small theaters. And of course it's all radio's fault. Go figure. It's like he doesn't realize that young people these days do not listen to radio.

UndertheWire
03-01-2015, 04:02 PM
If someone thought they could make money out of "classic" hip hop by playing it on the radio or arranging arena tours, it would be hapenning. It's down to market forces.

UK TimFan
03-01-2015, 05:00 PM
An English national daily newspaper, the Daily Mail, has a magazine with its Saturday issue, and on the last page has 'The definite article' in which they "ask a celebrity a set of devilishly probing questions - and only accept THE definitive answer".

In the one dated 2 August 2014 the celebrity was Pat Cash (former Aussie tennis player) and one of the questions asked was 'The poem that touches your soul . . . . . '

His reply: I've never really got poetry, but songs move me. 'One of these nights' by the Eagles has really powerful lyrics.

Not sure if I agree with 'powerful' to describe OOTN's lyrics.

thelastresort
03-01-2015, 06:19 PM
Indeed, odd one that. I could understand classifying the lyrics to the other two hits off that album as 'poetic' or powerful, but OOTN? :eyebrow:

03-01-2015, 09:39 PM
Powerful isn't a word I'd use to describe the lyrics in OOTN's either, but I guess those lyrics speak to that guy in a different way. The first word that comes to my mind is sexy, but I guess sexy can be pretty powerful. :thumbsup:

If someone thought they could make money out of "classic" hip hop by playing it on the radio or arranging arena tours, it would be hapenning. It's down to market forces.

Exactly UTW! That's the point I was trying to make in my post on the previous page.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-01-2015, 10:06 PM
I'm still surprised they managed to make money off of it the first time around :unimpressed:

VAisForEagleLovers
03-03-2015, 07:14 PM
Exactly what I was thinking! I should have read down further before commenting. I am still too new at this.

It's always good to have a good point reaffirmed!

sodascouts
03-04-2015, 01:10 AM

Lindsay's comments could be posted on the "Dumb things said about the Eagles" thread.

Fleetwood Mac are not one of my favourite bands but I'm pretty sure, despite their struggles, they've produced far more LPs than the Eagles. Even ignoring the pre-Stevie/Lindsay era.

Lindsey is talking about their decision-making processes now, not the number of albums each band has produced over the course of their existences.

At this point in their career, the Eagles are able to come to an agreement about what they are going to do and then do it. Lindsey envies that.

Fleetwood Mac has three different vocalists who don't necessarily all want the same thing and there is not the kind of clear-cut power structure there is in the Eagles. Drummer Mick Fleetwood is the leader of the band, but he doesn't have any real power in terms of the direction of the band. He doesn't write or sing. He needs his vocalists to come to an agreement before they can continue. Sure, he could "fire" Chris, Stevie, or Lindsey if they don't do what he wants, but doing so would make the band less marketable. His only card is one he'll never play. That renders him essentially powerless, "band leader" or no.

Right now, Lindsey and Christine want to make an album, then tour; Stevie wants to tour without making an album and instead concentrate on her solo career for a while... so what do they do? The band is stalled until they all agree.

The Eagles don't have that problem. Right now, Glenn and Don are on the same page, and Joe and Tim are cool with what they decide. At least, that's how it appears from the outside.

NightMistBlue
03-04-2015, 01:02 PM
FM seems to govern by consensus, whereas the latter-day Eagles have a more centralized leadership structure.

Didn't Don Henley once sum up the earlier Eagles internecine squabbles as "too many chiefs, not enough Indians"?

Funk 50
03-04-2015, 05:08 PM
It's wonderful how Fleetwood Mac can knock out an album in a couple of months. It seems the Eagles have to brace themselves for several years of misery and torture to produce an album.
As I said, FM have the benefit of a band leader who can't make a solo record as he doesn't write and sing.

Glenn did say he was trying to get the other Eagles to record some influential covers. He already had Buffalo Springfield's, On The Way Home earmarked but a couple of years have passed since then.

It's still too early to write it off. Maybe an Eagles version of On The Way Home will see the light of day in the next few years.

Jonny Come Lately
03-04-2015, 06:59 PM
Fleetwood Mac may have released seventeen albums, but nine of these came out before Lindsey and Stevie joined the band, by all means check for yourself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleetwood_Mac_discography

Thus Fleetwood Mac have over this time released eight studio albums - just one more than the Eagles. In order the eight albums are:
Fleetwood Mac (''The White Album'') - 1975
Rumours - 1977
Tusk - 1979
Mirage - 1982
Tango In The Night - 1987
Behind The Mask - 1990
Time - 1995
Say You Will - 2003

From this, I would say that they may be able to knock an album out in a couple of months, but they've not seen fit to release many since the 1980s.

Frankly I think Time can be discounted from this list - according to the credits it does not feature Stevie Nicks at all, and features Lindsey Buckingham singing backing vocals (not lead vocals, and no guitar) on one track. As someone who loves Rumours dearly, I have never been remotely curious about listening to this album. Would you accept an album featuring - for the sake of argument - Bernie, Randy and Joe, with Glenn singing on the harmonies on one track and Don nowhere to be seen, as a proper Eagles album? I know I wouldn't.

Also, there have been times when Fleetwood Mac's lack of a unified creative vision has harmed their music - Tusk is IMO the best example of this. Lindsey Buckingham's minimalist production style suited his own material (with strong influences from punk and new wave, although also bluegrass to a certain extent) but I think was totally unsuited to Christine's songs, bar the well produced and classic Mac sounding Think About Me. Her songs on that album for the most part were not especially strong pieces of writing and needed a fuller sound to highlight the melodies, whereas instead the stripped-back production highlighted their bland lyrics and lack of hooks.

One thing I would add to Soda's point is that Mick might be able to fire one of the vocalists, but if he did so he'd be seen as being on a par with Mike Love - a man firing the true creative talents in his band for the sake of wielding his own power. Suffice to say I have very little respect for Mike Love and although I am not a massive Beach Boys fan I think he cannot hold a candle to Brian Wilson and 'Mike Love's Beach Boys' are an empty, pale imitation of the real band.

Funk 50
03-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Since 1975 the Eagles have produced 4 albums. 4 1/2 if you count the new songs on HFO. One's a double but so was Tusk.

I don't see how you can discount Time just because you don't want to count it. It's got Fleetwood Mac on the sleeve as the artist. It doesn't matter who's in the band. Hollywood (Some Other Kind of Town) is one of my favourite C McVie tracks.

You can't name 3 Eagles albums with the same line up.

Mick Fleetwood has shown that he'll keep Fleetwood Mac going whether the others want to be part of it or not.

I've bought most of the Eagles solo albums. At best there will be a couple of other Eagles on those. I don't judge the tracks by how many Eagles they have on them.

sodascouts
03-04-2015, 11:53 PM
It's wonderful how Fleetwood Mac can knock out an album in a couple of months.
Are we talking about the same band? Fleetwood Mac hasn't "knocked out an album in a couple of months" since 1975! Even the live albums take longer than that to finalize.

Poor Lindsey would weep bitter tears at this statement. That's exactly what he was trying to express in the article - his frustration at the fact that despite he and Christine writing quickly, they can't do an album without Stevie on board, and she hasn't given them any kind of timeline.

At the risk of getting a bit off topic - before Rumours, Mick readily fired and replaced the singer/songwriters in the band, or tensions got so bad that they just left. Since several were mentally unstable and one was bedding his wife, you can't blame him for the Merry-go-round of band personnel (they had five different lead guitarists / lead vocalists come and go over the span of ten years). Only Mick Fleetood and John McVie, for whom the band is named, go back to the beginning in 1967; any album they put out as Fleetwood Mac is a "proper" album regardless of who else is in the band.

After the huge success of Rumours, however, Mick had zero desire to fire any of that "magic" line up. Chris, Lindsey, and Stevie have all left the band and rejoined along the way, but none were "fired". Instead, he took to humoring their whims, for better or for worse. I for one am profoundly grateful that he has managed to get so much out of the Rumours line-up, no matter what he had to do to achieve that.

Compared to Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles seem downright stable.

Still, those of us who read a lot of Lindsey's interviews know his "compliment" of the Eagles is a back-handed one. He's said elsewhere that he believes that they're unified by greed. I'm sure it doesn't help that half the band has been intimate with his ex.

L101
03-12-2015, 09:48 AM
Just saw this on twitter today :
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b493/Lacken/Misc/Untitled_zpskwvuesus.png

Wouldn't you just cry if you were that close to them and never realised until too late !!! :doh:

VAisForEagleLovers
03-12-2015, 02:47 PM
I would be devastated, Lacken!

Here is an interview with a group called Love & Theft, and they mention the Eagles (and Jackson Browne) as major influences.

http://radio.com/2015/03/12/love-and-theft-interview-whiskey-on-my-breath/

VAisForEagleLovers
03-17-2015, 06:30 PM
A discussion of music and fame and reality TV.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503462&objectid=11419048

VAisForEagleLovers
03-17-2015, 06:31 PM

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503462&objectid=11419048

I wouldn't say, for our guys, that fame is a by-product. Like a lot of young adults, they wanted to be successful. It's just that they were smart enough to know that it takes good songs, and they were even smarter to know it would take work and a lot of it.

03-22-2015, 05:53 PM

I wouldn't say, for our guys, that fame is a by-product. Like a lot of young adults, they wanted to be successful. It's just that they were smart enough to know that it takes good songs, and they were even smarter to know it would take work and a lot of it.

Just getting around to reading this and I agree with your remarks VA. And, I might add that another key to their success is that they also regarded the band as a business. I know they sometimes get a lot of flack for this from some fans, but, the reality is that it forced them to approach the band's affairs very seriously and professionally even when they were busy partying and otherwise 'experimenting' with life. Their 'eagle-eye' focus kept the band as their top priority.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-28-2015, 09:20 AM
This guy gives the line-up of the band as the Hotel California line-up, either because he doesn't know any better, or because he concentrates his article on that album. He tries to talk about the relevance of their lyrics, but I read it and walked away still not knowing his opinion, really.

http://nooga.com/169469/record-bin-how-the-eagles-perfected-soft-rock-on-hotel-california/

03-28-2015, 02:40 PM
Yeah - I think, overall, he is trying to be complimentary, but he has a rather strange way of making his points, IMO. Funny that he lists the HC lineup, but the picture posted has The Long Run lineup with Timothy. Like you said VA - it's hard to tell if he doesn't know or doesn't care. Here's the part of the article that I found most astonishing ...

The Eagles were never going to be a band whose words were held in high esteem. Admittedly, the lyrics were fine and did their job admirably, but the band would never be accused of being dedicated lyricists. This is not an insult per se—just a simple observation.That made me go :headscratch: - I was under the impression that they are generally considered to be some of the best lyricists in rock and roll.

thelastresort
03-28-2015, 02:45 PM
Disrespectful to Henley in particular. As fine a lyricist as you're ever likely to come across in the genre.

Jonny Come Lately
03-28-2015, 07:12 PM
I must say that I thought that article was rather poorly written for the most part. I disagree with most of the points made and the level of analysis of the album in general is disappointing, as is the lack of research into the band's history. No mention is made of the extremely well known fact that Joe Walsh was a newcomer to the band for the album, or that the Eagles had been wanting to move towards a harder rocking, less country rock sound for a couple of years - this latter point undermines the article's title about the Eagles perfecting soft rock.

Obviously I disagree with the statement in the opening paragraph - as someone who discovered the Eagles for myself (from a CD in my parents' collection, yes, but no one recommended them to me, I first listened out of curiosity) I love the band as much if not more as people who grew up with them and don't feel guilty in the slightest about liking them. To me they are an elite band with many great songs and a wide variety of material.

I also cannot agree with the comments about their lyrics. Admittedly a couple of the songs on the debut album aren't necessarily fantastic pieces of songwriting (Chug All Night being the most obvious, but also arguably Earlybird and Tryin'), but their second album was Desperado, a superbly written concept album, with a number of songs with terrific lyrics. Think of the title track, Certain Kind Of Fool and Saturday Night, for instance. I certainly can't agree with the author when he suggests that their lyrics lack depth - the Desperado album clearly showed that they knew their subject.

At times I almost feel like the author is describing a different band, and the band that springs to mind from the descriptions is Coldplay. In particular I feel these two sections in particular sound like the extremely clean-cut and eager to please British band, rather than our guys who revel in anti-heroes (Doolin and Dalton, James Dean) and have a number of songs with innuendo laden lyrics.

'Everything was just soft and mellow in a way that took the music away from any sort of harder-edge classic rock sound'

I can only guess 'everything' excludes LITFL, VOL, Already Gone, GDIH, Those Shoes and every other harder-edge Eagles song (there are at least two on every Eagles album IMO). By contrast this description could apply to huge chunks of Coldplay's back catalogue, and even their 'rockers' have often been watered down with string arrangements or falsetto vocals. Listen to a song like Low from Coldplay's X&Y and then listen to an Eagles rocker like GDIH and there is a clear difference.

'But what their words lack in depth, they made up for in a communal emotional relevance'

I can't say I find the lyrics to most Eagles songs to be lacking in depth. The scenarios described in songs such as Take It Easy, Lyin' Eyes, LIFTL etc. provide clear imagery. In fact I consider this to be one of the defining features of Don Henley's songwriting in particular, as continued to be shown throughout his solo career and in LROOE (I would defy anyone to claim that the lyrics to Waiting In The Weeds lack depth). Indeed, the number of literary references in Henley's lyrics have lead to accusations of him being a dedicated lyricist! By contrast, this is a near perfect description of numerous Coldplay songs, including most of their hits like Yellow, Clocks or Fix You.

At one point, the article gives a list of the songs on the album other than the title track, if you've read this you will know the section I mean. Try imagining this section with the names of the songs from Greatest Hits Volume 1. It does make me wonder whether the author has actually listened to the album apart from the title track, which is the only song to be discussed in any detail. I'm sure he has in reality, but there's precious little evidence of it in the article. This is more disappointing when the author mentions the fact that for some people the album is totally defined by the title track. I must say I'm not quite sure how VOL and LIFTL are quintessential Eagles in the sense the author means, given that both are showcases for what Joe brought to the band as a rock guitar player.

This is compounded by the author's statement that 'they never allowed the songs to maintain a melancholic appearance'. If Wasted Time isn't melancholy I don't know what is - when the piano at the start of the song comes in I always picture a largely empty bar with Henley and/or the woman drowning their sorrows with alcohol. Hotel California is not a collection of soft rock tunes, it is for the most part a dark, serious album - it certainly feels darker and more overtly thoughtful than Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, which is also a brilliant album but I think is one where the music and lyrics can be quite easily separated compared to HC. Second Hand News for example I actually find quite an uplifting listen to if I ignore the lyrics, whereas I would never think of ignoring the lyrics to The Last Resort.

In the interest of fairness, I did quite like the comment about the album being 'the sound of a band who finally understood the balance between stadium anthems and the quieter side of rock 'n' roll'. The Eagles have a good balance of harder and softer songs, likewise a balance of out-and-out rock songs and country/acoustic songs, with many lying at some point in between the two extremes. They weren't the only ones to get this, Led Zeppelin also understood the need to find a balance. To my mind, albums containing nothing but hard rock or nothing but very soft and mellow songs are both likely to boring unless they are extremely good. However, whereas Led Zep's acoustic songs tend to get ignored in favour of their hard rockers the Eagles often get criticised for their mellower songs - though I suppose both do not get the credit they deserve in the rock world.

Freypower
03-28-2015, 07:23 PM
Excellent post.

You forgot though how critics salivate over Rumours because it was about failing personal relationships, whereas the Hotel California album was apparently about cocaine use, and therefore meaningless.

At the risk of sounding very tedious Dire Straits also had a perfect mix of hard rock & mellower songs. Critics sneer at them because Brothers In Arms allegedly appealed to people who had just bought CD players & wanted to test the sound.

Very quickly, I am one person who prefers Zeppelin's ballads to their hard rock, except on the IV album, which (again) is one of the most perfect blend of the two styles ever made. In fact it's the third best, in my view, after Revolver & Making Movies. With the Eagles, however, my favourites tend to be the rock songs.

L101
03-28-2015, 07:48 PM
JCL - while I agree with most of what you said, I don't agree with the Coldplay reference.

Coldplay are pop rock and I would never compare them to the Eagles although they do have a mix of rock and ballads even if "their 'rockers' have often been watered down with string arrangements or falsetto vocals" - that's what makes them recognisable as Coldplay just as HC is instantly known as the Eagles sound.

From your comments, it seems that you don't particularly like Coldplay but having seen them in concert on their last tour, they rocked the stadium out and it is up there as one of the best concerts I have ever been to. Coldplays lyrics might not be as deep as the Eagles but they still managed to win 7 Grammy awards in their career.

BTW - GDIH - not really the Eagles best song IMO, if that was the first song that I heard from the Eagles, I would find it hard to listen to any other songs in case they were all as bad as that :grin:

Jonny Come Lately
03-29-2015, 06:46 AM
Freypower, I could not agree more about Dire Straits - I listened to the debut album this week and found myself thinking much the same. I could say the same about any album of theirs, that just happened to be the one I heard.

I have loved Rumours for most of life (my parents say I would fall asleep during The Chain when I was a baby! :hilarious: Must have liked it even back then) and it is definitely my favourite Mac album but I agree that HC is underrated compared to it. This kind of comment is not unlike some things I've heard about The Dark Side Of The Moon (basically that 'it's all about drugs'). By contrast I think Tusk is overrated in some quarters - I am not a fan of most of Lindsey's thrashy punk/new wave-inspired throwaways on the album or of Christine McVie's songs aside from the Mac classic Think About Me and Over & Over - her other four songs are unmemorable and all sound the same to me.

I must admit I tend not to think of ballads as a major component of Led Zeppelin's repertoire. I would say that most of their albums have one ballad, with the exception of Presence (which is all rock 'n' roll aside from the bluesy Tea For One) - think of Thank You on II or The Rain Song on Houses of the Holy for instance, but most of their acoustic songs tend to be fairly sprightly, more like Ramble On or Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp. I agree that Led Zeppelin IV does feature an excellent balance of harder and mellower songs, much like HC. One thing I will add is that although I absolutely love the first two records I think their songwriting improved on Led Zeppelin III, with more thoughtful lyrics on songs like Tangerine or That's The Way compared to the 'cock rock' that dominated I and II.

I agree that Coldplay are pop rock and quite different in style from the Eagles. In truth though genre classifications have probably changed since the 1970s so there are Eagles songs which at the time would have been seen as rock that could pass for country nowadays, whereas had Coldplay been around then they would almost certainly been seen as a pop act. My aim was to try and contrast the difference between the two bands as I feel that Coldplay rarely rock out and would be unlikely to write songs about sex, drugs, outlaws or rebels like the Eagles did but I can see why you disagree.

When it comes to Coldplay as a band I would probably describe myself as a lapsed fan. This UK newspaper article is for the most part actually a pretty accurate summary of my thoughts if you substitute Bowie and new rock bands for Neil Young and my favourite classic rock bands in my case:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/coldplay-royal-albert-hall-review-9578027.html

I should probably clarify that I still like Coldplay's first two albums - Parachutes has a lot of charm and I have a lot of fondness for songs like Don't Panic, Shiver and Trouble, while A Rush Of Blood To The Head is their best album and contains their best songs, The Scientist and Clocks. I think they went downhill from X&Y, a record which was hyped greatly at the time but had numerous problems. The album is far too long and is overproduced, while the songs (excluding the acoustic hidden track, which is actually an album highlight) essentially fall into two groups, the emotional ballads (which Coldplay did better on the previous albums) and the rockers, which are generally better but sound a bit too much like a watered down U2 (I know they have some fans here so I'll just say that they are one of rock's most overrated bands IMO). Speed Of Sound was a rewrite of Clocks but inferior in almost all respects. Coldplay have never been great lyricists in my view but some of the lyrics on X&Y were embarrassing, providing ample ammunition for haters of the band. Viva La Vida had some good songs and had better lyrics and more variety, but it just doesn't sound natural - it feels at times like the band was experimenting for the sake of it. I hated the modern pop of Mylo Xyloto and didn't bother with the last album as I wasn't impressed with any of the singles.

I have heard plenty of positive comments about Coldplay's concerts but I have to say I think they are more of a studio band. My personal impression is that the band put on a really good live show (in terms of the spectacle and big sound) but whenever I have heard Chris Martin sing live I've always thought he sounds rather strained and they use backing tracks far too much for my liking.

UndertheWire
03-30-2015, 05:29 AM
Glenn has been dropping hints about the Eagles musical.
http://www.heraldrecorder.com/entertainment/eagles-musical-may-be-coming-to-broadway-says-glenn-frey-h7803.html

“I’m going to see a lot of shows, so you never know,” he said, citing “Beautiful,” the musical Carole King bio, as a current fave. And as to whether or not an Eagles musical would function a lot of heated arguments (the band was infamous for its squabbles), he laughingly replied, “Conversations. Give and take.”
I had assumed they were going the "Mamma Mia" route - using the songs to tell a new story - but maybe they're really considering a bio.

"Bernie" could sing "Already Gone" as he pours a beer over "Glenn's" head.

GlennLover
03-30-2015, 06:37 AM
Glenn has been dropping hints about the Eagles musical.
http://www.heraldrecorder.com/entertainment/eagles-musical-may-be-coming-to-broadway-says-glenn-frey-h7803.html

I had assumed they were going the "Mamma Mia" route - using the songs to tell a new story - but maybe they're really considering a bio.

"Bernie" could sing "Already Gone" as he pours a beer over "Glenn's" head.

I have never had as many Google alerts about one topic as I have about this one this morning!

VAisForEagleLovers
03-30-2015, 06:50 AM
Thanks, UTW. The story is the same, but the grammar is better in this one.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/eagles-dare-broadway-article-1.2166360

VAisForEagleLovers
03-30-2015, 07:03 AM
The MasterCard Center in Beijing, China, has turned 10 years old, and our guys made the list of top 10 moments in its history.

http://www.thebeijinger.com/blog/2015/03/30/10-priceless-moments-mastercard-centers-10th-anniversary

Thirsty&Hot
03-30-2015, 03:02 PM
LAUREL CANYON DAZE | CSN, JONI MITCHELL, JACKSON BROWNE, MAMA CASS, THE EAGLES (http://selvedgeyard.com/2015/03/25/laurel-canyon-daze-csn-joni-mitchell-jackson-browne-mama-cass-the-eagles/)

The author doesn't exactly sound like he adores the Eagles like we do, but they get a mention with photos nonetheless!

UndertheWire
03-30-2015, 03:59 PM
LAUREL CANYON DAZE | CSN, JONI MITCHELL, JACKSON BROWNE, MAMA CASS, THE EAGLES (http://http://selvedgeyard.com/2015/03/25/laurel-canyon-daze-csn-joni-mitchell-jackson-browne-mama-cass-the-eagles/)

The author doesn't exactly sound like he adores the Eagles like we do, but they get a mention with photos nonetheless!
Thanks. The link didn't work for me but I found it. Nice quote from JD and also much bigger, clearer versions of familary Henry Diltz photos. http://selvedgeyard.com/2015/03/25/laurel-canyon-daze-csn-joni-mitchell-jackson-browne-mama-cass-the-eagles/

Topkat
03-30-2015, 05:39 PM
I don't really think the article was disrespectful, but I guess you can interpret it that way if you wanted to. pick on that one particular sentence.

I think he was making a more general statement about the Eagles music & how it represents an era or a genre of music at that time in a way that became iconic & memorable, more so than other bands of that time.

***this was written about a previous article in post #2282

Thirsty&Hot
03-30-2015, 06:18 PM
Thanks. The link didn't work for me but I found it. Nice quote from JD and also much bigger, clearer versions of familary Henry Diltz photos. http://selvedgeyard.com/2015/03/25/laurel-canyon-daze-csn-joni-mitchell-jackson-browne-mama-cass-the-eagles/

thanks! sorry about that! I fixed the link!

Thirsty&Hot
03-30-2015, 06:22 PM
LAUREL CANYON DAZE | CSN, JONI MITCHELL, JACKSON BROWNE, MAMA CASS, THE EAGLES (http://selvedgeyard.com/2015/03/25/laurel-canyon-daze-csn-joni-mitchell-jackson-browne-mama-cass-the-eagles/)

fixed the link!

Also, wanted to add...lots of gorgeous Henry Diltz photographs! Many of which I'm sure you've seen before, but as UTW said, in large, crisp presentation.

04-04-2015, 01:16 PM
That's pretty cool that the Eagles made the Beijing MasterCard Center top ten list. Thanks VA. :thumbsup:

And also thanks for those links T&H and UTW. I think that article does a really good job of capturing the mood of Laurel Canyon in the 70's. I had almost forgotten about the infamous 'Kirkland Casino and Health Club'. :grin: I particularly like these two quotes:

I will say this for The Eagles– as a kid the lyrics were mesmerizing, laying out a storyline that deftly painted a picture in your head. I was a big fan of ‘storytelling songs’ back then– like Jim Croce, Three Dog Night, Johnny Cash, etc., and The Eagles had strong game. Do I own any of their music, or crave an Eagles fix ever? Not really, I feel like it’s in my head whenever (if ever) I need it.In a strange way, to me, that is sort of an ultimate compliment to the power of their music.

The Eagles didn’t want to blend into a SoCal scene, or any scene. Their sole ambition was always to achieve commercial success. To be a machine. The Eagles feel like oddballs in this lineup, and the end to that Laurel Canyon music era. While Joni Mitchell and CSN represent personal craft perfected on vinyl, The Eagles were the 8-track player in your shiny new hatchback Mercury Bobcat. Both good, just very different.I have to disagree with the author that commercial success was the band's sole ambition and that they just wanted to be a machine. I personally think they put a lot of time, energy, passion, and heart and soul into their music. However, I interpret the remainder of this passage as the author's way of saying that the Eagles represent a less idealistic version of their SoCal counterparts ... and I would agree with him about that.

Funk 50
04-04-2015, 03:17 PM
I've no problem believing the Eagles were motivated by commercial success. They didn't rely on luck. They became successful by working harder and focusing better than everybody else.

My favourite part of the article [ http://selvedgeyard.com/2015/03/25/laurel-canyon-daze-csn-joni-mitchell-jackson-browne-mama-cass-the-eagles/ ] was JD Souther's complimentary words about Randy's Bass playing. I've heard a lot of people saying Randy's a great singer but not so great on the bass so it was nice to read some positive comments about his bass playing for a change.

As for Randy, he was a very important component as well. It would never have been the same band without him. His singing on the high end is unlike any other sound. He also defined a style of songwriter-rooted bass playing, not unlike Paul McCartney. He always managed to make a nice melody underneath what the others were doing. And he could play light, with the tips of his fingers.

Thanks for posting the links

04-04-2015, 03:25 PM
F50 - I didn't say that the band wasn't motivated by commercial success because, by their own admission, they were. But, as the author says, I don't fault them for that - I personally believe it's an admirable trait to strive to be financially successful. However, the author says it was their 'sole ambition' and, if you reread my post, that is what I take issue with. I believe this band loves making and performing music.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-05-2015, 12:10 AM
I agree, Dreamer, they were driven by more than commercial success. A lot of it was the money, but IMO, it was the drive to succeed. The commercial success was two-fold, they had wealth and that wealth indicated they were one of the very best ever. However, the songs that gave them the commercial success were written and sung with the hopes that their peers would like them.

Jonny Come Lately
04-05-2015, 04:28 AM
I disagree that the sole ambition of the Eagles was to achieve commercial success. For one thing, after having three hit singles with their debut album the obvious pathway would have been to make a sound alike sophomore record with thinly veiled copies of Take It Easy, Witchy Woman and Peaceful Easy Feeling. Instead, they made a concept album based on the story of a relatively obscure group of outlaws with few entirely stand alone songs. I think this clearly shows that they wanted to make quality music with artistic integrity, not just catchy radio hits.

Likewise in the late 1970s if the Eagles had been purely about commercial success it would have been very easy for the Eagles to abandon their rock sound and make disco songs. Say what you want about The Disco Strangler (I would agree it is somewhat flawed) but with that song they actively attacked one of the most popular movements in music at the time. Pink Floyd borrowed more from the disco movement more than the Eagles did with Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 and by no means did they compromise their artistic integrity.

As for the comment about Joni Mitchell and Crosby, Stills and Nash, I agree that Joni Mitchell is a legend. I don't really listen to her music but she deserves a lot of respect. CSN by contrast, while undeniably talented, wasted their prime years bickering, or as Neil Young put it more bluntly, p***ing in the wind. Neil was himself involved in some of this bickering but the difference was he continued making music during the 1970s. The gap between Hotel California and The Long Run was admittedly longer than ideal but these three years are nothing compared to the seven between Deja Vu (1970) and CSN (1977).

The photographs in that article are excellent. I especially like the one of the four founding Eagles members together.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-12-2015, 01:06 PM
I got this from TBF on Facebook. Top 20 albums of all time, and of course, the Eagles are on there twice. There are three artists that are on there more than once. Led Zeppelin, Garth Brooks, and our guys. We all know who's at #1 :wink:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/62536/20-best-selling-albums-history

04-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Yep - we sure do! The only real surprises to me on the list are Billy Joel and AC/DC - I didn't realize that either of them had sold that many albums.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-13-2015, 04:44 PM
Can you believe? That story about the lady stabbing her roommate for playing Eagles songs is making the rounds like it's breaking news! At first it was tweets and Google alerts, but now radio stations are picking it up.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-23-2015, 04:36 PM
An idiotic blog about our guys

http://www.attorneyatwork.com/fly-like-eagle-manage-law-firm-like-frey-henley/

GlennLover
04-23-2015, 05:21 PM
Idiotic is right! It's not worth my time to make any more comments.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-23-2015, 05:43 PM
This is a much better one, and kind of amusing!

http://thatmercurysound.com/2015/04/22/gig-grab-bag-history-of-the-eagles/

UndertheWire
04-24-2015, 03:50 AM
An idiotic blog about our guys

http://www.attorneyatwork.com/fly-like-eagle-manage-law-firm-like-frey-henley/
The tone isn't nice and I don't agree about the musical aspects (apart from The Disco Strangler) and he may get some things wrong, but he does show some understanding of what has worked for the Eagles and the lessons to be learned. What I disagree with is that the band had a high turnover of members. Compared with most bands, they have had a pretty stable lineup.

ETA: As he's writing for law firms, I'd have been more interesed if he'd discussed the lawsuits. What's the best way to avoid being taken advantage of by your management/record label? How do you avoid problems with partnerships and remuneration packages?

04-25-2015, 05:55 PM
I agree with you VA about that blog commentary on the HOTE documentary. Although I. obviously, don't agree with everything there, it certainly was an entertaining read. :thumbsup:

sad-cafe
04-26-2015, 02:59 PM
our local classic rock station ran a listeners choice "march bandness" during the march madness . Eagles came out on top over the Beatles, Led Zepplin, Journey, Joe Walsh, Alice Cooper, ZZ Top, Doobie Brothers and much much more.

It was pretty cool. They would put two bands in and listeners would call in or FB their favorite. It lasted most of the month of March.

Now whenever an Eagles song comes on they call them the 104.5 champion of March Bandness.

104.5 The Fox

pretty neat!!!!!!!!

04-26-2015, 06:38 PM
This is cool, s-c. It reminds me of a similar thing a newspaper in Jacksonville, Florida did about 10 years ago for March Madness that I participated in. They had a 64-band bracket just like the NCAA bracket and folks voted online for America's greatest rock and roll band. It was done in rounds in conjunction with the NCAA tournament. IIRC, the final four were The Doors, Credence Clearwater Revival, Aerosmith, and, of course, our guys. Aerosmith and Eagles were paired against each other and The Doors and CCR were in the same bracket. The final two were CCR and Eagles. Our guys walloped CCR in the final to take the title. :yay: :yay: :yay:

sad-cafe
04-26-2015, 10:24 PM
sounds like the same type of contest.

At one time Eagles were in a round against Joe Walsh.

We label him Wichita's Home Boy and he gets mad respect on our stations. However, this time Eagles won...people were okay with Walsh losing to Eagles because he still won.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-30-2015, 06:16 PM
You all know that an article that discusses the top ten control freaks in rock and heavy metal that our guys will be on it. Glenn and Don come in at #3. They are the only ones that are a pair of control freaks, everyone else on the list is a freak all on their own. It's a shame that at the end of their section they made a typo and put Henley instead of Felder. Reading on you can see they meant Felder, but...

http://www.vh1.com/news/11531/biggest-control-freaks-heavy-metal-classic-rock/

Jonny Come Lately
05-02-2015, 06:47 PM
our local classic rock station ran a listeners choice "march bandness" during the march madness . Eagles came out on top over the Beatles, Led Zepplin, Journey, Joe Walsh, Alice Cooper, ZZ Top, Doobie Brothers and much much more.

It was pretty cool. They would put two bands in and listeners would call in or FB their favorite. It lasted most of the month of March.

Now whenever an Eagles song comes on they call them the 104.5 champion of March Bandness.

104.5 The Fox

pretty neat!!!!!!!!

That sounded like quite a lot of fun! Not a bad result either... :thumbsup: (though you wouldn't hear me complain if Zep had won)

Going off at a slight tangent, would anyone be interested in playing an adapted version of this in the 'Singing For The Sake Of The Song' section of the forum? To make for an interesting contest the Eagles would have to be excluded - they might just win :p - but if we got a pool of, say, 32 bands agreed beforehand (I don't think bands and solo artists should be directly compared, the Walsh situation is one reason for this IMO) and go through several rounds where in each tie two bands were put up directly against each other and we were given a couple of days to vote for our favourite until eventually it came down to the last two. It almost certainly wouldn't be the easiest game to set up but I think it would be fun, a bit like the Survivor games.

Freypower
05-02-2015, 07:01 PM
That sounded like quite a lot of fun! Not a bad result either... :thumbsup: (though you wouldn't hear me complain if Zep had won)

Going off at a slight tangent, would anyone be interested in playing an adapted version of this in the 'Singing For The Sake Of The Song' section of the forum? To make for an interesting contest the Eagles would have to be excluded - they might just win :p - but if we got a pool of, say, 32 bands agreed beforehand (I don't think bands and solo artists should be directly compared, the Walsh situation is one reason for this IMO) and go through several rounds where in each tie two bands were put up directly against each other and we were given a couple of days to vote for our favourite until eventually it came down to the last two. It almost certainly wouldn't be the easiest game to set up but I think it would be fun, a bit like the Survivor games.

Yes, I would play. Several years ago we did a Top 20 artists playoff. When I get time I will post the links so you can see how it was done.

05-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Sounds like a fun idea, JCL. Feel free to organize something in the SftSotS forum. I would definitely participate if you put something together. And I think these are the thread that FP was referring to:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1829

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1837

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1840

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850

Jonny Come Lately
05-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the positive response - glad to hear there's interest in such a game! Thanks also for the link to the earlier game dreamer, that's given me some good ideas as to which bands I should include in my proposed list - reading other lists is definitely helpful as it gives me other opinions as to who needs to be on there. Before starting the game I intend to ask for any suggestions and will consider making amendments based on these so, even if I don't agree with the suggestions, I'm happy to listen to any suggested changes.

I'm probably going to be too busy to get the game started over the next month (due to exams), but once they're out of the way I should be able to get it started in early June. I could probably do with a bit of time in any case to see if I can find a format that works, I'd like to do something closer to the March Bandness approach with a knockout format that pits bands directly against each other and players having to vote for a winner in each tie/match in each round until it gets to just two bands in the final to determine the overall winner. I haven't quite decided the number of bands I want to start with just yet, but I'm confident I'll get to something that works.

In order to save a bit of time it might be a good idea to play multiple ties/matches at once in the early rounds, which would enable people to have a couple of days to get in their votes before closing like in the Survivor games.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-04-2015, 05:56 PM
Something we already knew, Don and Joe look younger than they are. Must have been all that good, clean living they did.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/how-old-rock-stars-gallery/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=newsletter_4572276#photogallery-1=1

GlennLover
05-04-2015, 09:18 PM
I did a search for Glenn on the website & I chose a picture of him from Linda Ronstadt's induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. The result was age 48! The man does look good for his age.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-04-2015, 09:21 PM
I'm glad you did that, GL, I was going to do it when I got a chance. Yes, we definitely know Glenn doesn't look his age, either!

ETA: I tried it with two photos of Glenn from the Dan Patrick show a week ago and got 52 and 53.

05-04-2015, 10:28 PM
Such dedicated research, GL! :thumbsup:

GlennLover
05-04-2015, 11:36 PM
I'm glad you did that, GL, I was going to do it when I got a chance. Yes, we definitely know Glenn doesn't look his age, either!

ETA: I tried it with two photos of Glenn from the Dan Patrick show a week ago and got 52 and 53.

:thumbsup:

Funk 50
05-05-2015, 08:56 AM
I would've described the last 12 months have been pretty unproductive Eagles-wise but the money keeps rolling in:

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2015/05/billy-joel-and-eagles-in-top-five-of.html

Billy Joel's residency has been very lucrative.

Having seen Luke Bryan's duet with Joe Walsh a couple of years ago, I'm stunned he's such a major player.

UndertheWire
05-05-2015, 09:30 AM
But how are they measuring? Here's an explanation:

METHODOLOGY: Money Makers was compiled with Nielsen Music and Billboard Boxscore, 2014 U.S. data only. Revenue from merchandising, synchronization and sponsorship is not included. The following royalty rates, minus a 4 percent producer's fee, were used: album and track sales, 22 percent of retail revenue; streaming revenue, 22 percent for current acts and 50 percent for heritage acts. Publishing royalties were estimated using statutory mechanical rates for album and track sales and the Copyright Royalty Board streaming formula; for labels' direct deals with interactive services, blended audio and video rates of, respectively, $0.0075 and $0.0045. (A 10 percent manager's fee was deducted from each category.) Touring revenue equals 34 percent of an act's Boxscore.https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/billboard-lists/6553545/billboard-top-40-money-makers-rich-list-2015

However, I'm struggling to find out a definition of "Boxscore". I thought I'd found it with a list of top tours for 2014
http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6406028/boxscore-top-tours-2014-rolling-stones-live-nation
but if I look at 34% of the gross tour revenue I come out with a number that's almost double the touring figure in the Moneymaker list. To add to the confusion, the text has about North American revenue but lists the O2, London under the top venue.

ETA: The Billy Joel numbers don't add up. The heading gives the total as $27.2m but the numbers add up to $25.8m and in the text underneath it has $25.3m.

MaryCalifornia
05-05-2015, 03:03 PM
Also, the merchandise piece has to be millions and millions per year, at least for the Eagles.

Freypower
05-05-2015, 05:46 PM
I would've described the last 12 months have been pretty unproductive Eagles-wise but the money keeps rolling in:

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2015/05/billy-joel-and-eagles-in-top-five-of.html

Billy Joel's residency has been very lucrative.

Having seen Luke Bryan's duet with Joe Walsh a couple of years ago, I'm stunned he's such a major player.

What would they have to do for you to describe them as productive? Make an album, I suppose. Given that seems extreemely unlikely I suppose most of us here would describe touring as productive.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-05-2015, 06:24 PM
What would they have to do for you to describe them as productive? Make an album, I suppose. Given that seems extreemely unlikely I suppose most of us here would describe touring as productive.

I agree, FP. I would love new music, that's for sure. They have it all, and they should flaunt it. They are extremely versatile and have many talents, and while there are other bands who are talented, no one can do harmonies like the Eagles. So of course I'd like new music from them. I just don't think it's very likely. Don can't even get his solo album out the door, and for all of them to come up with something and agree it sounds good is unlikely. Even with LROOE, Don criticized it in interviews, and I'm confident that if it were up to him, they'd still be in the studio perfecting it.

Given all that, I'm just extremely happy they're still touring. I'm hoping the fact that they're still making good money on it means they'll continue to do it.

thelastresort
05-05-2015, 07:12 PM
Even with LROOE, Don criticized it in interviews, and I'm confident that if it were up to him, they'd still be in the studio perfecting it.

I've read Henley disliked the double album concept, yet he still plugged it as great value because of that on HOTE :lol:

And yes, I wouldn't class 2014 as an unproductive Eagles year either. By my reckoning they managed about 60 shows across two continents. Compare that to, for example, the five year barren run between HFO finishing and the (now Felder-less) tour in 2001...

sodascouts
05-06-2015, 12:10 AM
Something we already knew, Don and Joe look younger than they are. Must have been all that good, clean living they did.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/how-old-rock-stars-gallery/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=newsletter_4572276#photogallery-1=1

Well, this app also claims Keith Richards looks 59...

Regardless, our guys do indeed look good!

Brooke
05-06-2015, 09:54 AM
Well, this app also claims Keith Richards looks 59...

:rofl:

bluefeather
05-06-2015, 01:51 PM
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: 59?!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-06-2015, 07:39 PM
This article from TRS is completely uncalled for. Perhaps by now, our guys just read this crap and roll their eyes, but as a fan, it just justifies my complete dislike of all things The Rolling Stone.

Perhaps they still hold a grudge over the softball game? :hilarious:

http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/features/steph-currys-stairway-to-heaven-the-classic-rock-guide-to-the-nba-playoffs-20150506

Freypower
05-06-2015, 07:45 PM
I subscribe to Rolling Stone. This won't be in the print copy of the magazine. I think it's a shame they still want to define Glenn by one comment he made 35 years ago as if no other rock stars have ever had arguments while on stage. As for the Lebowski stuff he had every right to be upset about it, as it is endlessly, tediously repeated, apparently without end.

sodascouts
05-06-2015, 08:36 PM
A lazy piece full of recycled "facts" they probably got off Google after doing a couple searches.

But they got us to click on it, which is all they wanted anyway, so I guess they win.

Who cares if the article is crap if it gets you eyeballs? It's the motto of today's media, where online articles feature click-bait headlines and 90% of the material consists of bogus fluff pieces full of inflammatory inanities - items that are designed to work people up rather than to provide any meaningful content.

But I digress. I shall distill my reaction to this particular piece down to its essence, thusly:

Eagles = made of awesome
RS = made of suck

I rest my case.

Houston Baby
05-07-2015, 12:48 PM
And articles/commentaries like this were why I did not renew my subscription to RS. After awhile, it becomes tiresome. :yuck:

Freypower
05-07-2015, 06:21 PM
But as I said that stuff is on the website, not the magazine. The magazine does write about subjects other than how much RS hates the Eagles. Where I take issue with RS is in its unconditional worship of Bruce Springsteen & U2.

Jonny Come Lately
05-08-2015, 07:51 AM
In my experience Rolling Stone loves the following bands/artists:
- The Beach Boys
I like their songs, but I just don't hear what is supposed to make Pet Sounds so great (apologies to the many people who love it, I have tried with it a couple of times and am just not crazy about it bar the obvious songs).
- The Beatles
Not going to argue with them on this, RS's love of them is totally understandable.
- Bob Dylan
In fairness, I can't exactly disagree with them here! I wouldn't strongly disagree with Like A Rolling Stone being the best song of all time, but can't help but feel this choice wasn't a coincidence...
- Bruce Springsteen
I don't really have any strong opinion on his music if I'm being honest, just haven't heard that much of him, although I probably lean towards him being a bit overrated.
- The Rolling Stones
Can't think why RS like this band :razz: (see my Bob Dylan comment).
- U2
I am aware there are some pretty big fans on here (I'm ambivalent to them myself, varying between different phases and album) but I think they ae probably the band most overrated by the magazine. They had numerous songs on Rolling Stone's most recent Top 500 songs list, including the then very recently released Moment Of Surrender. Also, didn't their last album get 5 stars from RS? Don't get me started on its method of release :scowl: ...)

While not rating these bands:
- Deep Purple
Not included in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. I don't care, but it says less about Deep Purple than it does about RS!
- Dire Straits
Also not in the Hall Of Fame, and had no songs on the Top 500 songs list. Sultans Of Swing, anyone?
- Eagles
Goes without saying...
- Led Zeppelin
Less so now, but back in the 1970s RS routinely trashed their albums, and only gave them higher ratings when they realised they were alone in their opinion on the band.
- Pink Floyd
Only three songs on the Top 500 list. Get little recognition for their work apart from the 'Big Three' albums (Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, The Wall), when albums like Animals and Meddle are also classics.
- Rush
Not represented in the Top 500 list and largely ignored by the magazine.

There are probably others, but these are the first ones that spring to my mind.

05-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Very interesting post, jcl. And for the most part I think your comments are right on. :thumbsup:

Regarding the Eagles, like with Led Zeppelin, they have softened their stance somewhat over the years once they realized what a massively popular and legendary band they evolved into.

bluefeather
05-09-2015, 01:31 PM
I don't hate RS but it's musical conservatism really annoys me sometimes and I also dislike them because of their trashing of Zep and other bands in the past and then singing their praises in the recent years

as an addition to your list of RS's favorites, jcl, The Who maybe a bit less extremely but still

VAisForEagleLovers
05-13-2015, 03:17 PM
Given that this guy considers the Eagles to be a country band, I'm surprised Take It Easy didn't make his 'six list'.

Regarding Lyin' Eyes, I'm sure Glenn and Don were in the bar to drink (and get laid). The 'subject matter' just happened.

http://www.daily-journal.com/news/local/six-pack-rock-or-country-eagles-cover-both-genres/article_3481fba1-4c67-5b92-9089-873a5c9ab4d3.html

MaryCalifornia
05-13-2015, 11:46 PM
Ummm, I guess this would go here? Just read it, you'll see. And for the last time, no, Gawker is not my primary source of news! :wink: (it sort of is, though)

http://gawker.com/woman-accused-of-drowning-fiance-in-mysterious-kayaking-1704336352

sodascouts
05-14-2015, 01:13 AM
I guess even a psychopath can be an Eagles fan! I'll refrain from the tasteless joke I'm tempted to make about her song choice.

bluefeather
05-14-2015, 07:00 AM
weird incident ,makes you wonder...:eyebrow:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-19-2015, 08:49 PM
HH emailed this to me and it never even occurred to me to put it here until I checked my Google alerts. Duh!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jesselawrence/2015/05/19/tickets-for-last-leg-of-eagles-tour-still-in-high-demand/

thelastresort
05-19-2015, 09:07 PM
I'm presuming his allusion that it could be their final gig ever is based on nothing concrete (I hope!). I can't imagine they'd not mention anything about it if it was, plus, like he says, they are still in very high demand...

VAisForEagleLovers
05-19-2015, 09:11 PM
Like he said, at the end of each tour leg where no new shows are announced, the tickets have been in higher demand. I'm hoping they don't stop now. They've started the secondary market and there's no reason to stop as far as I can see.

sodascouts
05-20-2015, 08:10 PM
I was just talking about this to HB. They don't need the money, but it would still be hard to turn down the huge paycheck they get for doing these gigs. Besides, they know how much we love seeing them. Even if they don't do any more world-wide touring, they could still do casino gigs and play venues like MSG and the Forum which are co-owned by Azoff. I didn't get the feeling that Don was saying "This is it forever, folks!"

I don't want them to exhaust themselves, however. Maybe some time in the studio would be the way to go...

GlennLover
05-20-2015, 08:29 PM
I don't want them to exhaust themselves, however. Maybe some time in the studio would be the way to go...

Good idea, Soda! ;)

VAisForEagleLovers
05-20-2015, 09:39 PM
Good idea, Soda! ;)

So now we should call Soda 'Dreamer', too? I personally think it's a great idea. In my opinion, the world cannot have enough Eagles music. We've talked about it before, and Irving is apparently against new music. With albums like OOTN, HC and TLR, they could put out an album and have it be nearly instantly successful. Even HFO benefited from the hype of them getting back together. There was a long drought to get LROOE, and I'll be honest, I didn't feel it was marketed well. There are way, way too many people who didn't know they'd put out a new album.

Now, the music industry has changed, and things don't work the same. However, most of their fans haven't changed. They can use social media to get the word out, and radio stations and news outlets push it out. It used to be that when a radio station mentioned it, only those listeners who happened to be tuned in heard it. Now, everyone reads about it when they get to their NewsFeeds and Twitter feeds.

I've gone on a rant here, but I worry about what they think of LROOE album since it's missing from the current tour, and maybe whatever thoughts are floating through their heads are affecting their thoughts on new music.

Funk 50
05-21-2015, 06:53 AM
Glenn confirmed on stage that the current run is the last leg of the HOTE Tour.

No doubt they'll then concentrate on solo material. Who knows what the future holds beyond that.

I expect the Eagles will have to release something to initiate another tour. A new compilation, including LROOE tracks and a couple of new tracks is my guess. A totally new album would be a delight.

There was a long drought to get LROOE, and I'll be honest, I didn't feel it was marketed well.

Hopefully. with Don's record company being very enthusiastic about Cass County, they'll encourage Don too embrace all the promotional possibilities of the internet.

The Eagles are great at shifting tickets but really lag behind their peers on the internet with little more than a token online presence. I don't think you can have a big hit nowadays without an extensive internet push.

scottside
05-21-2015, 09:06 AM
I would think the next group effort will be a dvd/cd combo set of the HOTE tour. It would be great if they could put a few new songs on the cd, but I won't hold my breath. And I wouldn't expect to see this release until 2016 or 2017.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-21-2015, 09:15 AM
I would think the next group effort will be a dvd/cd combo set of the HOTE tour. It would be great if they could put a few new songs on the cd, but I won't hold my breath. And I wouldn't expect to see this release until 2016 or 2017.

A combo would be awesome!!

Brooke
05-21-2015, 09:16 AM
I hope they do put out a dvd of the HotE tour. I don't expect any new music for the band. They took forever to do LROOE and now it goes unmentioned. I think they will do a residency at a few places like LA, Vegas, and MSG. I don't expect any more tours across this country even.

Hopefully, they will tour solo and put out some solo music. :pray:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-21-2015, 09:20 AM
I'm hoping for solo stuff as well. As far as touring after this, yes, I don't see an actual 'tour'. Perhaps besides the 'residencies' they'll do a few here as they're asked, kind of how they did in 2012 with the JazzFest, Atlanta, Atlantic City, etc. Not thrilled with MSG residency since the laws state that VIP get their tickets up front and so therefore can scalp them. Makes it hard to get a good seat there.

Houston Baby
05-21-2015, 12:33 PM
Hopefully, they will tour solo and put out some solo music. :pray:

Now that I have seen Don, Joe and Glenn solo shows, I would also like to see more of their solo shows plus I need to see Timothy. That said, I know I am not the only one who would love to see more EAGLES shows and hear those sweet harmonies. Don's solo show was absolutely fantastic and Don sounded great but it made me all that more anxious for Tuesday and to hear him with Glenn, Timothy & Joe. :heart:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-21-2015, 01:08 PM
Now that I have seen Don, Joe and Glenn solo shows, I would also like to see more of their solo shows plus I need to see Timothy. That said, I know I am not the only one who would love to see more EAGLES shows and hear those sweet harmonies. Don's solo show was absolutely fantastic and Don sounded great but it made me all that more anxious for Tuesday and to hear him with Glenn, Timothy & Joe. :heart:

Magic, I tell you! They open their mouths and a beautiful sound that can't be replicated by anyone comes out.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-21-2015, 09:58 PM
This guy has some of his facts wrong, but the picture is nice...

http://lasvegassun.com/blogs/kats-report/2015/may/21/frothy-eagles-remembrance-featuring-beer-junefest-/

jms18222
05-21-2015, 10:46 PM
A rather cold boring Thursday night here. Came across this video. Not sure if it was ever posted before but I just don't want to go through 200+ pages either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOZo6l88j2Q

Funk 50
05-22-2015, 05:22 AM

I just think, by the summer, the Eagles' History Of The Eagles episode, that started with a DVD, will have run it's course.
After an 8/18 month hiatus while Don promotes Cass County and presumably, some solo activity from the other guys too, the Eagles will launch another phase. As long as they retain their chops.

Don't forget that, last year, Joe said the Eagles have new music in the can.

GlennLover
05-22-2015, 09:34 AM
A rather cold boring Thursday night here. Came across this video. Not sure if it was ever posted before but I just don't want to go through 200+ pages either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOZo6l88j2Q

It has been posted before, but thanks for posting again, jms. I love watching it & always see new things that I missed in previous viewings!

UndertheWire
05-25-2015, 10:21 AM
Back in 2009, a promoter recalled the bands first visit to New Orleans when on tour with Procol Harum. It's not particularly thrilling but it's background.
http://www.offbeat.com/news/the-eagles-walking-through-new-orleans/

05-25-2015, 10:40 AM
Pretty interesting stuff - thanks for finding that, UTW.

sodascouts
05-25-2015, 10:53 AM
I find that kind of thing fascinating. Thanks, UTW!

Houston Baby
05-25-2015, 11:03 AM
Thank you UTW!! I love that you post all these wonderful finds! :thumbsup:

UndertheWire
05-25-2015, 11:51 AM
I just love that when I find something at the end a rabbit hole, I have like-minded people to share it with.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-25-2015, 12:30 PM
I just love that when I find something at the end a rabbit hole, I have like-minded people to share it with.

Definitely us!!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-25-2015, 02:24 PM
The more interesting part of this blog, to me, is the long Facebook quote towards the end from her brother. He sounds like someone I could like! That chord is magic!

http://blog.timesunion.com/holistichealth/music-hath-charms/15167/

Brooke
05-26-2015, 12:23 PM
UtW, thanks for that! Very interesting to me too!

Loved the last line-"And Glenn Frey wore a sports jacket and jeans.”

And he's still wearing them! :lol:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-26-2015, 08:51 PM
UCR mentions our guys in their summer must-see list of tours, though they don't have the dates correct.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/2015-summer-tour-guide/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=newsletter_4572276

VAisForEagleLovers
05-28-2015, 10:04 PM
#5 on NY Daily News's Best Of list...

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/avid-rock-fans-weigh-best-bands-time-poll-article-1.2238557

Brooke
05-29-2015, 09:56 AM
I love all those bands on the list! As for the order, don't really care!

Jonny Come Lately
05-29-2015, 11:57 AM
That's a pretty decent top ten I think, if you swapped Aerosmith for Pink Floyd then I'd be very happy with the top five - which would then consist of three big favourites of mine alongside probably the two most iconic bands (The Beatles and The Stones). Even though I'm not a Beatles fan especially I think they are definitely worthy of top spot. Nice to see the Eagles in #5 of course!

Witchy Woman
05-29-2015, 05:39 PM
A very agreeable list. Never been a huge fan of the Rolling Stones, but I certainly can't deny they belong there.

Freypower
05-29-2015, 06:28 PM
Niether Journey nor Bon Jovi would be on my list. If you swapped them for Dire Straits & Genesis I could relate to it.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-29-2015, 09:36 PM
Interpretation of HC:

http://www.laurelcanyonradio.com/interpreting-the-eagles-hotel-california/

VAisForEagleLovers
05-29-2015, 09:40 PM
Will One Direction's next album be influenced by the Eagles (and Fleetwood Mac)?

http://www.unrealitytv.co.uk/showbiz/one-directions-niall-horans-loving-little-mix-is-harry-styles-obsession-influencing-new-album/

05-30-2015, 12:44 PM
Well, I'll say this - they must have good taste! :thumbsup:

Now, in reference to that NY Daily News fan poll that VA posted about earlier, I think it's a pretty good list overall. While the top three picks are very predictable, I am somewhat surprised that Aerosmith came out a slot ahead of our guys for the fourth spot. In fairness, I probably would rate them as the 2nd best American band, but definitely not ahead of the Eagles. The only reason I can think of for this is because Aerosmith represents a harder rock sound as opposed to the Eagles always being labeled as country rock. Still though, I can't think of any other legitimate reason to rate them higher. :shrug: :headscratch: I'd be very interested in what others think about this.

AlreadyGone95
05-30-2015, 03:54 PM
I posted this in the thread about the show, but I also think that it needs to be posted here:
http://www.spokesman.com/picture-stories/eagles-soar/

Some very cool photos, especially the ones capturing Glenn and Don laughing.

Freypower
05-30-2015, 06:28 PM
Well, I'll say this - they must have good taste! :thumbsup:

Now, in reference to that NY Daily News fan poll that VA posted about earlier, I think it's a pretty good list overall. While the top three picks are very predictable, I am somewhat surprised that Aerosmith came out a slot ahead of our guys for the fourth spot. In fairness, I probably would rate them as the 2nd best American band, but definitely not ahead of the Eagles. The only reason I can think of for this is because Aerosmith represents a harder rock sound as opposed to the Eagles always being labeled as country rock. Still though, I can't think of any other legitimate reason to rate them higher. :shrug: :headscratch: I'd be very interested in what others think about this.

I am not an Aerosmith fan except for a couple of tracks. I don't believe they should be above the Eagles but they should be way ahead of Bon Jovi & Journey who as I said I wouldn't have on the list at all. It's an American list.

DivineDon
05-31-2015, 12:14 PM
Great photos - loved the ones with Don and Glenn cracking up...wonder what made them laugh so much. Luv it!:thumbsup:

Funk 50
06-01-2015, 09:24 AM
This is an old interview, before Long Road Out Of Eden but after Felder's exit. I'm sure some have read it already but it's worth a look.

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/features/2014-05-14/exclusive-previously-unpublished-eagles-interview.

How would you define the roles of the four members of the Eagles?

Glenn Frey: Oh, that’s easy! I’m the rhythm guitar player, piano player and arranger. Joe is the lead guitar player. Timothy is the high singing bass player. And Don is the drummer, the main singer and the lyric police.

I wonder if Tim's, People Can Change has been released in some form yet?

NightMistBlue
06-01-2015, 10:05 AM
I am not an Aerosmith fan except for a couple of tracks. I don't believe they should be above the Eagles but they should be way ahead of Bon Jovi & Journey who as I said I wouldn't have on the list at all. It's an American list.

It's an American list of suburbanites stuck in the 80s! Like you, I can't believe Bon Jovi and Journey made the list. The Doors are more significant musically and culturally and have stood the test of time. Where is AC/DC and The Who.

Shout out to VA for the Laurel Canyon Radio link - what a fabulous idea for a radio station.

Freypower
06-01-2015, 06:27 PM
This is an old interview, before Long Road Out Of Eden but after Felder's exit. I'm sure some have read it already but it's worth a look.

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/features/2014-05-14/exclusive-previously-unpublished-eagles-interview.

I wonder if Tim's, People Can Change has been released in some form yet?

No. Don't you think we would have heard about it if it had been?

VAisForEagleLovers
06-01-2015, 08:36 PM
It's an American list of suburbanites stuck in the 80s! Like you, I can't believe Bon Jovi and Journey made the list. The Doors are more significant musically and culturally and have stood the test of time. Where is AC/DC and The Who.

Shout out to VA for the Laurel Canyon Radio link - what a fabulous idea for a radio station.

No problem, NMB! I just copy and paste the links as they pop up on Twitter or alerts.

I'm not at all surprised Journey made the list. I started paying attention to Billboard 200, the list of best selling albums each week back in 2012 when Glenn and Joe released new albums, then again to check out Eagles albums when the DVD came out. Since then I check sporadically. Every time I check it, Journey's Greatest Hits is on the list, so somebody out there really likes them. Just for informational purposes, Fleetwood Mac's Rumours is usually always on the list, too.

Jonny Come Lately
06-02-2015, 03:19 AM

I agree that Bon Jovi and Journey shouldn't be there. I can just about understand the latter although I've never been a fan (I've always found Don't Stop Believin to be irritating for some reason, in fairness I've only really heard the Steve Perry-era music), Bon Jovi I don't get at all, I don't see them as a 'classic rock' artist myself. I wasn't too offended though as they were only in 9th/10th and not above the bands I love on the list.

I agree that The Doors are better than either, for another US artist I'd suggest Lynyrd Skynyrd, they have one of the most iconic classic rock songs (Free Bird), several other classic rock radio staples and were probably the stand out band of the Southern Rock movement. The Beach Boys are also better than Bon Jovi and Journey, but the trouble is that they became less of a rock band as they matured (Wouldn't It Be Nice and God Only Knows are perfect pop songs but aren't rock in the way that the Chuck Berry-inspired likes of Fun, Fun, Fun and Surfin' USA are, at least to me) so I would find it difficult justifying their inclusion in a list of top rock bands.

I have to say that most of the bands I'd suggest would probably be British - the likes of The Kinks or Deep Purple wouldn't look out of place I think, The Who as well are a good shout.

Then again I've seen worse lists, there was one list from a UK newspaper which was meant to be a list of the top 10 American bands - not only were the Eagles not included, but they were left out to include The Band (a fair shout but four-fifths Canadian) and the winner was that most famous band, Bruce Springsteen (and no, not Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band. Just Bruce Springsteen :headscratch:)

thelastresort
06-02-2015, 07:32 AM
That list needs more ZZ Top.

NightMistBlue
06-02-2015, 11:33 AM
I'm not at all surprised Journey made the list. I started paying attention to Billboard 200, the list of best selling albums each week back in 2012 when Glenn and Joe released new albums, then again to check out Eagles albums when the DVD came out. Since then I check sporadically. Every time I check it, Journey's Greatest Hits is on the list, so somebody out there really likes them. Just for informational purposes, Fleetwood Mac's Rumours is usually always on the list, too.

Interesting - I just checked it now. Journey & FM are still on the list, and the Eagles first greatest hits is hanging tough as well.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-02-2015, 07:39 PM
FM is on it frequently, and with their recent tour, usually several albums worth. Sometimes Greatest Hits by our guys is on it, sometimes not. However, I've not ever seen a week where Journey wasn't on it in the last three years. Maybe I just hit it right, but when I look, it's always there. I keep wondering just how many copies of it people in the US need to own. Of course, I have it and listen to it pretty often, and if the player ever ate it, I'd replace it within a week.

AlreadyGone95
06-02-2015, 07:48 PM
I've bought 2 cd copies of Journey's greatest hits, one for my mom and ond for myself. I've done the same for the Eagles '71 - '75 greatest hits, except my copy is on vinyl. I own Rumours on vinyl and cd. I own 3/4ths of FM's albums.
I'm not surprised that Journey is on there (both the list and billboard). How popular is Don't Stop Believin? I'm personally sick of it (I heard it way too much as a kid), but it's one of the top 10 hits of the 80s. Plus Journey had alot of other hits.
Aerosmith, I love and am glad to know that they are on there. Bon Jovi on the other hand... :headscratch:.

NightMistBlue
06-03-2015, 11:37 AM
AG, you're the coolest 20-year old ever :)

While trolling through the vinyl albums on Ebay this morning, I came across a bit of trivia about Eagles '71-'75: on side 1, in the grooveless space just around the label part (the run-off? I forget what it's called), there is etched "HAPPY NEW YEAR, GLYN." Etching on side 2 reads, "WITH LOVE FROM BILL."

Those mischievous Eagles, you gotta love 'em

AlreadyGone95
06-03-2015, 01:27 PM
AG, you're the coolest 20-year old ever :)

While trolling through the vinyl albums on Ebay this morning, I came across a bit of trivia about Eagles '71-'75: on side 1, in the grooveless space just around the label part (the run-off? I forget what it's called), there is etched "HAPPY NEW YEAR, GLYN." Etching on side 2 reads, "WITH LOVE FROM BILL."

Those mischievous Eagles, you gotta love 'em

Thanks MNB :) :cool:
Do you mean etched as in actually etched into the vinyl itself? I'm looking at my copy and I can make something out on side 2, but I can't read what it says. It looks like a number, not words. :shrug:

ETA: After getting a magnifying glass, I looked and what I saw is the serial number: 6E-105-B

NightMistBlue
06-03-2015, 01:57 PM
Oh that's weird. Maybe the etching is only on a certain numbers of Eagles Greatest Hits albums, anybody know? Here's the one I saw today:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Eagles-LP-Their-Greatest-Hits-Album-Cover-Signed-by-Randy-Meisner-/221781361636?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a33303e4

I'm a long, longtime fan of Led Zeppelin and they were infamous for (many things, including) messages etched into the run-out grooves on their albums. "Do what thou wilt," is inscribed on one side of Led Zeppelin III and "so mote it be" on the other - both occult sayings attributed to Aleister Crowley, whom Jimmy Page admires.

Apparently is it etched right into the lacquer during the final mastering process.

Funk 50
06-03-2015, 03:21 PM
I know they're mentioned in wikipedia but this is a pretty comprehensive list courtesy of L&M's Eagles site.

http://eaglesfans.squarespace.com/runout-groove-inscriptions/

I checked some of my vinyl discs and some have no inscriptions. I guess they were later pressings rather than the originals.
I also checked my vinyl copies of LROOE and Analog Man. There's nothing on LROOE but Joe's 2012 disc has;

Side A - "I Don't Know.... Ask Szymczyk"
Side B - "Did I Hear Bubbles?"

Nice One Joe :thumbsup:

In advance of the Eagles concert tomorrow, the Argus Leader has an article about the success of the Eagles 1975 Greatest Hits album.
http://www.argusleader.com/story/scotthudson/2015/06/03/music-eagles-legacy-country-music/28356035/

I didn't realise that Hotel California sold twice as many albums as all their previous albums (Barring GHs) put together.

Brooke
06-03-2015, 04:49 PM
They are mostly words. I have all of my old original vinyls and they are all etched. Silly little things, but I can't remember really what.

We discussed it here somewhere.......don't have time to look for it though. Sorry!

NightMistBlue
06-03-2015, 05:17 PM
I know they're mentioned in wikipedia but this is a pretty comprehensive list courtesy of L&M's Eagles site.

http://eaglesfans.squarespace.com/runout-groove-inscriptions/

I checked some of my vinyl discs and some have no inscriptions. I guess they were later pressings rather than the originals.

Those are cool, and mostly cryptic - thanks, Funk! Your boy Joe really gets into it.

P.S. The surprising (to me, anyway) detail from the Argus Leader article is that The Eagles Greatest Hits doubled its sales and moved ahead of all the competition in the 90s.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-03-2015, 06:08 PM
There are lists of words (and numbers) in the run-out grooves/matrix etchings all over the internet, as those who buy and sell old albums live and die by the etchings and numbers in the grooves. I'm not sure where this list originally came from, but I thought there were more than this. At any rate, if you look them up on the real sites for this kind of thing, it usually lists the going price, which fluctuates. They also list the details of what albums of the same name have the etchings and which do not, and in some cases for some artists, several different etchings for the same album, depending on where it was released and when (and what pressing it was). Another advantage of the sites is that they list all albums, not just Eagles, which is handy for those of us who have a collection of a lot of artists. Some (not the one I linked to below) will give detailed instructions on how to tell which are first pressings (these are worth more).

I don't have time right now, but when I find my old bookmarks for these sites, I'll post them here if any are interested. This is not the site I've used, but it's the bookmark I have on this computer. I did a search on "There Goes the Neighborhood" and here (http://www.discogs.com/Joe-Walsh-There-Goes-The-Neighborhood/release/2823189) is the link.

Here (http://www.discogs.com/artist/255680-Eagles) is the link for Hotel California. As you can see, not all pressings had the etching. I don't have time to go look at all 135!

ETA: I'm pretty sure there's another site referenced on here, I had to have gotten it from somewhere...

AlreadyGone95
06-03-2015, 06:15 PM
VA, I'm definitely interested. I have about 250 vinyl lps right behind me as I type and I only know the pressing of one (first pressing of Crosby Stills and Nash's 1969 album).

I'm going to be spending some time looking at my collection and seeing if anything is written on the inside of the records! 135 different pressings of Hotel California? Yikes, I'll probably never find out which one mine is!

AlreadyGone95
06-03-2015, 06:22 PM
I just checked out the link to the Eagles. I have all on vinyl except On the Border (I'll have it by July) and LROOE. I never realized how many different pressings an album could have. I've seen some on RYM(Rate Your Music), but usually it's just the different pressings on the different formats(vinyl, cd etc).

I have several Facebook friends who are obsessed with different pressings. The only thing that I'm concerned about on gatefolds. My version of the Eagles' debut album isn't the gatefold. I eventually want a gatefold copy.
I am curious as to how you can identify a pressing. However, I buy most of my records to play, not just to look at (I'll buy 2 copies for that).

VAisForEagleLovers
06-03-2015, 06:39 PM
How to identify the pressing is as unique as the pressing itself! Few releases identify the pressing, especially in earlier releases (before the late 70's, I believe). Things like if it's a gatefold, if it has such-and-such etching, if it has a certain number on the spine of the album cover, if the sleeve has a certain design, etc. So it's not an exact science in all cases.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-03-2015, 06:40 PM
Here is a cool article ahead of the Sioux Falls concert, but I feel it should go here instead of the anticipation thread. You'll see why when you read it...

http://www.argusleader.com/story/scotthudson/2015/06/03/music-eagles-legacy-country-music/28356035/

VAisForEagleLovers
06-03-2015, 06:46 PM
Another interesting article ahead of the Green Bay concert, this one talks about enduring lyrics.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/entertainment/music/2015/06/03/eagles-enduring-lyrics/28382873/

AlreadyGone95
06-03-2015, 06:51 PM
How to identify the pressing is as unique as the pressing itself! Few releases identify the pressing, especially in earlier releases (before the late 70's, I believe). Things like if it's a gatefold, if it has such-and-such etching, if it has a certain number on the spine of the album cover, if the sleeve has a certain design, etc. So it's not an exact science in all cases.
Sounds kind of fun to me, sort of like an adventure. I'd never thought about the little details that make each pressing unique before. I personally love gatefolds and prefer to have them in my collection.

06-03-2015, 10:27 PM
I enjoyed that writeup about the thirteen lyrics. He had some interesting picks in there, including a few of my very favorites.

thelastresort
06-03-2015, 10:31 PM
Another interesting article ahead of the Green Bay concert, this one talks about enduring lyrics.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/entertainment/music/2015/06/03/eagles-enduring-lyrics/28382873/

Absolute blinder of an article there, a very well-researched and presented piece. The only one I would say isn't great is the MOUAS one, but the other twelve are well worthy of their inclusion, save perhaps the Henley solo one. The only issue I have with it is the lack of LROOE (the song) entry, some of the lines in there are on a par with my beloved The Last Resort, particularly (for me) the 'Captains of the old order' and 'Met the ghost of Caesar' lines. Genius.

Tori
06-03-2015, 10:56 PM
The Green Bay preview/lyric article is a fantastic idea for an article, first off. Pretty much all those lyrics are up there in my "favorite of all time" list. I do agree with thelastresort that there should've been some LROOE representation - LOVE the lyrical depth of that album overall, but still, that was a great article to mull over.

sodascouts
06-03-2015, 11:16 PM
Great article! I like that MOUAS got some love. I find it's very underrated.

L101
06-04-2015, 05:18 AM

I think this would be a great idea for a thread, if there is not one already? ? Over time, it might lead to a lyric survivor :)

The thread could cover all the Eagles and solo songs as I know everyone has their favourites and I'd be interested to know what they are and if they are similar to mine - just to further prove that we all have great taste in music by loving the Eagles! !

NightMistBlue
06-04-2015, 11:41 AM
I don't have time right now, but when I find my old bookmarks for these sites, I'll post them here if any are interested.

VA, I'd be interested as well in the album collectors/dealers sites - thank you!

Jonny, I've always loved that line in The Long Run too. The whole song is great. I read with chagrin that DH told Songwriter magazine that the song "could have been better" lyrically - no it couldn't, Don!

Brooke
06-04-2015, 01:22 PM
VA, thanks from me too especially on the lyric article! Very interesting! I love so many Eagles lines it's nearly impossible to pick just 13 though.

The OOTN one that JCL mentioned has always been a favorite along with the DD one listed. DD/D Reprise and Desperado have several other lines too. :heart:

VAisForEagleLovers
06-04-2015, 02:08 PM
We definitely need a thread for this! I think we could all discuss it for some time! If no one else starts one, I will when I get home later tonight.

thelastresort
06-04-2015, 02:20 PM
Could also perhaps move the relevant posts from here to the new thread too? As such I'll leave starting the thread to the staff ;)

06-04-2015, 09:24 PM
It's funny because last night when I was reading this thread, I also thought we should start a new thread. I didn't have time to start it then, but it's done now. And I moved some of the posts to the new thread.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Thank you, Dreamer! I wouldn't have been able to move the posts.

Jonny Come Lately
06-05-2015, 01:34 PM
I found this (rather subjective) list of the top 100 songs of all time from a UK newspaper today. The Eagles rank at #70 with (yes you guessed it) Hotel California.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/11621427/best-songs-of-all-time.html

For what's it worth, the number one song is David Bowie's Life On Mars, which surprised me a little.

I was shaking my head at a few of the selections. I wouldn't put someone like Beyonce anywhere near a top 100 songs list, and Everybody Hurts at #10? I like R.E.M., but no way (I think it's overrated, give me Man On The Moon over it easily). I am also cynical about including songs written in 2014 on any such list - it's difficult for me not to consider any nominations as being the 'flavour of the week'. Having said that, I was delighted to see Dylan's fantastic Tangled Up In Blue at #3, with the timeless classic Blowin' In The Wind also making the list. Visions Of Johanna is a great song but I wouldn't include it over Like A Rolling Stone personally. Neil Young's chilling Needle And The Damage Done is another great selection in my view.

There's no Dire Straits, as usual (although Freypower may be interested to know that a certain Rodgers & Hammerstein song covered by Gerry And The Pacemakers was in #88 :thumbsup:), but my beloved Pink Floyd get in with Wish You Were Here at #57 which is fair, although I think the author has missed the point of the song - it isn't comparing life to a war zone, it's about absence, specifically the absence of Syd Barrett.

Making these lists is a thankless task really, I could make a list like this one and get all sorts of stick for it, we all have our own preferences. It's a fairly safe list overall I would say, I've seen better ones but also others with more questionable choices.

thelastresort
06-05-2015, 04:46 PM
It should be a thankless task, absolutely no point in producing them.

Freypower
06-05-2015, 06:18 PM
The higher I went in that list the more I disagreed with it. I don't want to get off topic. I love Life On Mars? but it's not the heartbreaking anthem that Heroes is. And Moondance instead of Into The Mystic? Please.

L101
06-05-2015, 06:21 PM
This seems to be all of the "theories" of what Hotel California (http://nation.lk/online/2015/06/06/hotel-california-what-the-song-is-about/) means...

Think my favourites are the mental hospital and the occultism ones :grin:

One question though - who is that supposed to be in the first picture ???

bluefeather
06-05-2015, 06:46 PM
ITA about the Dylan songs JCL and I'm surprised about the number one pick as well, would have put Imagine and Like a Rolling Stone in the top ten and excluded Beyonce completely, also would've liked to see Leonard Cohen better represented, on the other hand I'm happy to see Stand By Me that high on the list, not a very good list overall though

AlreadyGone95
06-05-2015, 07:00 PM
Is it bad that I've heard only about half of the list? Seriously,there's so many songs that I don't recognize!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-05-2015, 07:30 PM
This seems to be all of the "theories" of what Hotel California (http://nation.lk/online/2015/06/06/hotel-california-what-the-song-is-about/) means...

Think my favourites are the mental hospital and the occultism ones :grin:

One question though - who is that supposed to be in the first picture ???

The article is complete hogwash and has zero basis in reality. I will admit I didn't read the entire thing as it discusses things Americans supposedly thought and felt, and it's obvious by the writing that these people are not Americans (I see now they are Sri Lankans). The fact they put a picture of the 'Eagles', and it's some other band entirely (possibly a tribute band) tells you all you need to know about what they know about the Eagles. It upsets me to think that people might read this and think any of it might be true.

I fully expect to have my malware scan tonight turn up a few things, as a good many of these kinds of news outlets lately have had malware in their pictures and ads.

L101
06-05-2015, 07:50 PM
The article is complete hogwash and has zero basis in reality. I will admit I didn't read the entire thing as it discusses things Americans supposedly thought and felt, and it's obvious by the writing that these people are not Americans (I see now they are Sri Lankans). The fact they put a picture of the 'Eagles', and it's some other band entirely (possibly a tribute band) tells you all you need to know about what they know about the Eagles. It upsets me to think that people might read this and think any of it might be true.

I didn't actually think it was true, more funny really, as I've said especially about the mental hospital and the occult one.
I won't put any more links on here as they never seen to be the right ones, I'll leave that to others from now on

VAisForEagleLovers
06-05-2015, 08:32 PM
I didn't actually think it was true, more funny really, as I've said especially about the mental hospital and the occult one.
I won't put any more links on here as they never seen to be the right ones, I'll leave that to others from now on

No! That's not what I meant!! I realize you thought it was amusing, but I didn't get the impression the people that wrote it thought it was amusing, they really believe what they wrote. We know it's hogwash and so can laugh about it, but there will be some that read this and take it seriously. Actually, putting the link here means that if anyone who reads it gets curious, maybe they'll find us and get the real scoop.

L101
06-06-2015, 08:28 AM
No! That's not what I meant!! I realize you thought it was amusing, but I didn't get the impression the people that wrote it thought it was amusing, they really believe what they wrote. We know it's hogwash and so can laugh about it, but there will be some that read this and take it seriously. Actually, putting the link here means that if anyone who reads it gets curious, maybe they'll find us and get the real scoop.
Ok :grin: Sorry about that, was being a bit grouchy....I have bronchitis and not sleeping well at the moment due to constant coughing :-( I'll be back online when I'm better! !
Makes me wonder how Don can do a 3 hour concert with bronchitis. ..... He must be a very strong and dedicated man! ! :smitten:

DivineDon
06-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Ok :grin: Sorry about that, was being a bit grouchy....I have bronchitis and not sleeping well at the moment due to constant coughing :-( I'll be back online when I'm better! !
Makes me wonder how Don can do a 3 hour concert with bronchitis. ..... He must be a very strong and dedicated man! ! :smitten:

Poor you - and poor Don. I'd volunteer to rub liniment on his chest though not yours, Lacken - sorry :hilarious:

L101
06-06-2015, 02:09 PM
Poor you - and poor Don. I'd volunteer to rub linament on his chest though not yours, Lacken - sorry :hilarious:

LOL :hilarious:

NightMistBlue
06-06-2015, 03:56 PM
Get well soon, Lacken! My Irish grandma used to actually eat some liniment when she was sick. I don't recommend you try that, but heck she lived to be 88 - a grand old age.

And AG, don't feel bad about not recognizing half the songs on the list; for a young 'un (for anyone, really) you have a much wider breadth of musical knowledge than would be expected. I'm very impressed that you collect vinyl albums. If I were to ask my 20-something nephews "What is a gatefold sleeve?" their faces would go blank and slack.

AlreadyGone95
06-06-2015, 04:31 PM
And AG, don't feel bad about not recognizing half the songs on the list; for a young 'un (for anyone, really) you have a much wider breadth of musical knowledge than would be expected. I'm very impressed that you collect vinyl albums. If I were to ask my 20-something nephews "What is a gatefold sleeve?" their faces would go blank and slack.
Thanks again :). What got me interested in records was finding my dad's copy of Led Zeppelin IV.

You need to show your nephews the HC gatefold, if you haven't (it's one of the ones that made me say "wow gatefold albums are cool. I wanna collect them" when I first saw it online.) I've had fun just sitting down and looking at my copy. (Yes, this is my copy)
http://rs1283.pbsrc.com/albums/a552/kim_dixon2/Mobile%20Uploads/1433621877222_zpstazaqext.jpg~320x480

I find gatefolds cool and unique, given how big they are. I have Yesź Yessongs triple gatefold album. Now that thing is sweet!

Lacken, I hope that you feel better soon!. Bronchitis is nasty! :yuck:

UndertheWire
06-08-2015, 04:03 AM
I usually skip articles on tribute bands but I read this one and thought it was worth sharing for the band leader's explanation of how and why he heads up an Eagles tribute band. It's more insightful than most bloggers and music journalists.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/aurora-beacon-news/lifestyles/ct-abn-heartache-tonight-st-0605-20150604-story.html

VAisForEagleLovers
06-08-2015, 07:15 AM
Good article, and he's starting to think like the Eagles. Play where the sound is best!

sodascouts
06-08-2015, 12:57 PM
What he says is very true. One of the hallmarks of an iconic band is that they have their fair share of tribute bands!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-11-2015, 05:54 PM
A very nice article by UCR about the 40th anniversary about the album, One of These Nights.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-one-of-these-nights-album/

Tiffanny Twisted
06-11-2015, 07:00 PM
Nice article thanks for the link

UndertheWire
06-12-2015, 04:36 AM
A very nice article by UCR about the 40th anniversary about the album, One of These Nights.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-one-of-these-nights-album/

I don't think it's that nice as he's effectively dissing both Desperado and On the Border.

Before One of These Nights, they were a country-rock group that occasionally stretched its limits to middling results

The songs they came up with were more substantial than anything they had come up with since their self-titled 1972 debut. And it was way more adventurous.

“One of These Nights” (featuring Henley’s best vocal up to that point)

Given my love for Desperado (song and album), I think he's very wrong.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-12-2015, 07:02 AM
I don't think it's that nice as he's effectively dissing both Desperado and On the Border.

Given my love for Desperado (song and album), I think he's very wrong.

As for Don's best vocal, I agree with him. I like how Don does Desperado live, he puts such passion into it, makes it come alive. For me, the recorded version is 'meh'. I didn't like the song until I heard it live.

As for the rest, I should have clarified...it was a nice article for UCR.

Jonny Come Lately
06-12-2015, 07:58 AM
Out of the statements listed, the one that I most strongly disagree with is that OOTN was their most substantial set of songs since the debut album - to me the debut album is their least substantial bunch of tunes, with Desperado showing a significant improvement in songwriting from all four members.

To illustrate this, let's ignore the four songs from the debut album and the five from Desperado which have been highlighted in the HOTE tour - clearly someone within the band must think these songs are decent. I think the remaining songs from Desperado are more substantial than those from the debut, compare CKOF and Bitter Creek to the likes of Chug All Night and Earlybird for instance. All of the songs from Desperado carry some significance to the overall story in their lyrics, whereas the only other song from the Eagles LP that has as much depth as the Desperado songs is in my view Take The Devil, although I would say that MOUAS is also a bit more substantial than the remaining songs. The other songs are not especially meaningful to me although this doesn't mean they aren't enjoyable (far from it).

I also definitely disagree that OOTN was more adventurous than their previous albums, I think making Desperado as their second album was a brave move (and one that cost them commercially in the short term) and it was less rocking than On The Border. The only songs that I would say were truly adventurous were the title track, which was unique in their discography at that time, and the underrated JOTS. By contrast, a song like Lyin' Eyes, while a classic, was very much in their old style, as was Hollywood Waltz, and IWYP is the most M.O.R. song they've ever recorded in my book.

As for 'they occasionally stretched their limits to middling results', I think the OTB album opposes this - the only songs that could really be described as country rock are My Man, Ol' 55 and BOML, the same as the number of out and out rockers (AG, JD and GDIH) and the ratio of mainstream rock songs to country rock ones is 2:1 once the R&B influenced title track and the ballads YNCLAL and IIT are taken into account. The last two, while not hard rocking, I consider to be rock ballads in the sense that the songs are played as a four piece band with the instrumentation being based largely on guitar/bass/drums (albeit with piano in the former) as opposed to the big productions of TITTL or Wasted Time, and display little country influence. There is Midnight Flyer but this is bluegrass rather than true country rock, and has a rock slide solo at the end in any case. There is also the small matter that, at least in my opinion, all these songs are good (Many of them better than 'good')! After Desperado there was a shift away from country rock even before Don Felder joined.

One difference with OOTN was that it was their first album where they wrote all of the songs (the only outside contributors being two associates of Bernie - even J.D. had no part in the writing of the album). This is good in some ways but I'd rather listen to the Eagles playing a song they may not have written but made their own, as they did with PEF and AG, than a less impressive song they did write such as Visions.

UndertheWire
06-12-2015, 08:14 AM
VA, it's funny how we get so used to snark and worse that we see anything positive as "nice"!

Jonny, that's for putting all that into words. I agree with nearly everything you've written.

In defence of "Chug All Night", it and "Tryin'" both seem to have worked very well live.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-12-2015, 09:20 AM
My takeaway was the band legacy overall. You hardly ever hear that from UCR.

06-13-2015, 04:00 PM
You all make some good points here. While I agree that One of These Nights was somewhat of a departure from the band's previous albums, I don't think that necessarily means it was better. Of the four albums, I think that the first one was the overall weakest. However, I have to admit the rawness and sensuality of Chug All Night makes me a big fan. After you get past OOTN, LE, TITTL, and ATTIG, I think there is a significant drop-off in quality on this album. Start to finish, and song for song, I personally prefer both Desperado and On the Border more.

AlreadyGone95
06-13-2015, 04:35 PM
I must be in the minority. I find OOTN to be better than the debut or On the Border. I like almost all songs on OOTN. I can't say that for the other 2 albums I mentioned. OOTN,imo, holds up better as a whole album. On the Border has some of my favorite songs, but there are some that I don't really care for,same with the debut.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-14-2015, 08:36 AM
I ran across another forum this morning, it's actually for guns, and most of the users seem to be US Veterans. One of them heard Lyin' Eyes, googled the Eagles and found some fansites that proclaim the Eagles are the best band ever. Since he was lurking on our forum, I didn't feel bad lurking on theirs. He asked the question, according to their users, who is the best American band?

I was surprised that in less than two days there were about 150 replies and about half of those were unique users. There was a lot of discussion, Boston, The Doors, CCR. About half of them agreed the best was the Eagles. Quite a few had watched HOTE, quite a few have gone to Eagles concerts. One guy made the comment that they are great because they do great harmonies on the road, that anyone can do them in the studio. One guy said they were great because they had at least one song everyone can relate to and few bands have that.

Of course there were naysayers, there always are, and there was a lot of discussion on what the criteria should be for 'greatest band'. The quote below are the ones I found most interesting.

Defining “the Greatest” is pretty darn hard.

However, my WWII veteran father liked them. My mother really liked them. I’m almost 50 and I liked them growing up and so did almost everyone I knew. And it seems that even today kids generally like their music, even if it’s not at the top of their playlist.

In terms of a broad appeal over several decades, it’s hard to name any American band that’s greater.

(My problem with the Eagles is that I've been hearing their stuff for like 40 years. Their songs are really good, but I've heard them all 87 million times.)

I like the Doors, can't stand the Eagles (I hate generic FM radio rock) but I have to call the Eagles one of the greatest American bands. Just because I don't like the music doesn't mean I don't recognize greatness when I hear it.

06-14-2015, 03:25 PM
Interesting stuff, VA. This kinda reminds me of the contest that I've mentioned on the board several times before that a Jacksonville, FL newspaper ran several years ago where they used the NCAA March Madness tournament bracket to determine the greatest American Rock and Roll band. The final four teams in the contest were The Doors, CCR, Aerosmith, and the Eagles. Of course, our guys crushed CCR in the final round to take the prize. It does surprise me a little that there is no mention of Aerosmith on that forum though, but maybe they are a slightly more mellow generation and Aerosmith's harder sound doesn't appeal to them. :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
06-14-2015, 04:25 PM
I think they were mentioned, once. There were some that were meant to be amusing as well, like Justin Bieber, in spite of the fact he's Candian. Someone posted a clip of the Big Lebowski, and most had never seen the movie, thought the clip was funny, but still thought the Eagles best.

AlreadyGone95
06-14-2015, 04:32 PM
Most of my favorite bands are British (Bad Company, Fleetwood Mac(are they British or British- American?), Free, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden etc). The Eagles are the only band in my top 5 that are American. Given the fact that they are "the best selling American band of all time", I'm not surprised that most people rank them as #1, despite their personal feelings about the band. The numbers and the money don't lie.

The next band that comes to mind for me is Van Halen or Lynyrd Skynyrd. Aerosmith would be next.

Freypower
06-14-2015, 07:13 PM
The Eagles are the ONLY American band I class as absolute favourites. I loved CCR but they weren't around long enough. Same with CSN/Y. I am indifferent to Aerosmith & as I've said before, bands like Bon Jovi & Journey leave me cold. My husband liked the Cult & Faith No More, both of which are too hard rock for me. I never heard the Grateful Dead & I was only interested in Jefferson Airplane for a couple of songs. I do have most of the Byrds' albums & they should really be heard by Eagles fans. Otherwise my favourite American artists are solo acts like Paul Simon & Neil Diamond.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-15-2015, 09:43 AM
It's no shock that our guys made the top 30 of top-paid musicians. They made #3. What is interesting is this:

The ageless rockers’ ongoing History Of The Eagles tour helped them earn more last year than Lady Gaga, Kanye West and Miley Cyrus—combined.

Beyonce and Dr. Dre were #2 and #1 respectively...

http://www2.forbes.com/forbes/the-worlds-30-highest-paid-musicians-2/30/

ETA: This may be old, as it has no date on it. It popped up on MSN this morning.

UndertheWire
06-15-2015, 10:03 AM
ETA: This may be old, as it has no date on it. It popped up on MSN this morning.
It says the data was collated for June 2013 to June 2014. I don't know if it was posted here previously but I remember reading about Dr Dre and the sale of Beats.

Brooke
06-15-2015, 10:39 AM
VA, very interesting. I certainly would agree with the Eagles being the greatest American band.

I really don't get the Doors though. I like their hits, but know nothing of any of the rest of their catalog. Can't say I ever liked Jim Morrison either. He was so out of it most of the time how could anyone ever like him? Jmo!

I would also pick CCR and Aerosmith. Next for me would be CSNY.

ETA: I consider Fleetwood Mac an American Band because I only liked them since Stevie and Lindsey joined. How could I forget to add them to my top 5. They would be my number 2!

AlreadyGone95
06-15-2015, 12:15 PM
$100 million for a year's work? Go guys! Nice to see an old(er) band mixed in with the younger people.

Regarding CSNY, can they be regarded as American? No doubt that they have an American sound, but Neil Young is from Canada and Graham Nash is from England(though I do believe that he is an American citizen).

Brooke
06-15-2015, 02:25 PM
I consider CSNY American because they got together in California. :shrug:

AlreadyGone95
06-15-2015, 02:40 PM
I consider CSNY American because they got together in California. :shrug:

I was just wondering what makes a band be able to say, "we're an American band" (my tribute to Grand Funk Railroad :guitar: )

Their sound, where they formed, where the members are from? :shrug:. I guess that it's up to ourselves to decide personally. I don't consider CSNY an American band because of Graham's first band, The Hollies. They were a part of the British Invasion, so it's hard for me to say that a member of that band became a member of an American band.

Fleetwood Mac are my 2nd favorite band, behind Bad Company. I love just about everything that they have done. I believe that most people refer to them as British American. Regardless, they rock!

NightMistBlue
06-15-2015, 03:13 PM
Interesting stuff, VA. This kinda reminds me of the contest that I've mentioned on the board several times before that a Jacksonville, FL newspaper ran several years ago where they used the NCAA March Madness tournament bracket to determine the greatest American Rock and Roll band. The final four teams in the contest were The Doors, CCR, Aerosmith, and the Eagles.

Wait: a Jacksonville paper and they didn't even mention Lynyrd Skynyrd?! I bet they got death threats :)

NightMistBlue
06-15-2015, 03:14 PM
My husband liked the Cult & Faith No More, both of which are too hard rock for me.

The Cult is a British band.

Freypower
06-15-2015, 06:30 PM
I was just wondering what makes a band be able to say, "we're an American band" (my tribute to Grand Funk Railroad :guitar: )

Their sound, where they formed, where the members are from? :shrug:. I guess that it's up to ourselves to decide personally. I don't consider CSNY an American band because of Graham's first band, The Hollies. They were a part of the British Invasion, so it's hard for me to say that a member of that band became a member of an American band.

Fleetwood Mac are my 2nd favorite band, behind Bad Company. I love just about everything that they have done. I believe that most people refer to them as British American. Regardless, they rock!

The vast majority of people would regard CSNY as American because of the style of music they played. The fact that one of them was born in England isn't really relevant.

NMB, my mistake about the Cult.

thelastresort
06-15-2015, 08:55 PM
Indeed, I believe the key factor that drew Graham Nash to join Crosby and Stills was he cared about what they and practically the whole Californian music scene cared about - no-one in England back then really cared about Vietnam, Watergate, or the hippy movement etc as we weren't involved in it. Could you imagine the Hollies doing a For What Its Worth-style piece?

I don't think place of birth should really come into it - are we to disregard AC/DC as an Australian band on account that the Young brothers are from Glasgow and Bon Scott came from a small town near Dundee? Are Queen 1/4 African / Asian because Freddie hailed from there?

Freypower
06-15-2015, 09:30 PM
Indeed, I believe the key factor that drew Graham Nash to join Crosby and Stills was he cared about what they and practically the whole Californian music scene cared about - no-one in England back then really cared about Vietnam, Watergate, or the hippy movement etc as we weren't involved in it. Could you imagine the Hollies doing a For What Its Worth-style piece?

I don't think place of birth should really come into it - are we to disregard AC/DC as an Australian band on account that the Young brothers are from Glasgow and Bon Scott came from a small town near Dundee? Are Queen 1/4 African / Asian because Freddie hailed from there?

A lot of people in Australia claim the Bee Gees because they started their career in Brisbane. They were born on the Isle of Man & spent their childhoods in Manchester. Barry Gibb's accent is still pure Mancunian.

AC/DC are more dubious but the fact is their songwriters & their current singer who has been with them far longer than the late Bon Scott are British.

06-15-2015, 10:22 PM
Wait: a Jacksonville paper and they didn't even mention Lynyrd Skynyrd?! I bet they got death threats :)

NMB - Lynyrd Skynyrd was definitely in the running. I can't remember how high they finished, but they were probably in the top sixteen (a.k.a. Sweet Sixteen as the NCAA refers to it). It was an online poll so folks were participating from all over the country, but, you're right, if it had only been Jacksonville voting, they'd have probably won it. :)

And while we're on the topic, Fleetwood Mac was not included in this contest because they considered them a British band; however, I'm pretty sure CSNY were.

Jonny Come Lately
06-16-2015, 05:23 AM
Interesting, thanks for posting that VA.

I am another one who mainly listens to British bands, with the Eagles definitely standing as my favourite American band. My probable top five includes the Eagles alongside three British bands - Dire Straits, Led Zeppelin and the thoroughly English Pink Floyd - and the Fleetwood Mac, and I can't consider even the Rumours line up to be American as over half the band was British. If Lindsey and Stevie were the only songwriters I'd probably say they were, but having Christine in there as well means I have to consider them mid-Atlantic, to borrow the word used for the accent.

In terms of other American bands I like Lynyrd Skynyrd quite a lot and like a bit of R.E.M. (just not that 'Shiny Happy People' song :yuck:). I also have the 1968-73 Steve Miller Band compilation as well as some Jimi Hendrix Experience (debatable but I think they should count as a band). The only songs I really know by The Doors or Aerosmith are the most obvious ones, likewise ZZ Top. The only song I really know by CCR is Have You Ever Seen The Rain.

I have heard a handful of CSN/CSNY songs and generally quite enjoyed them although have not really looked any further into their music. I am a big Neil Young fan but as a solo artist he should definitely considered Canadian not American. The main problem with CSN was that they wasted years without releasing an album (seven years between studio releases is too long for an act in their supposed prime). Neil Young's excellent song Thrasher goes some way to explaining how C, S and N went astray (Y did alright for himself... :thumbsup:). I concur with FP in not liking bands like Journey or Bon Jovi.

AlreadyGone95
06-16-2015, 11:33 AM
Ok, you got me with ac/dc. They've always been thought of as " the greatest rock band from Australia". I gurantee that very few casual fans would know that the Young brothers moved to Australia with their parents when they were kids.

No, I definitely can't picture The Hollies doubg something like For What Its Worth.

I love CCR, but I don't think that they would make my final four for American bands. Eh, the Doors, I'm in between on.

GlennLover
06-18-2015, 07:48 PM
Got this in a Google alert. It's about the writing of OOTN so I posted it in the OOTN celebration thread as well. http://www.thelegacyofmusic.com/2015/06/09/eagles-don-henley-en-glenn-frey-over-one-of-these-nights/

VAisForEagleLovers
06-18-2015, 08:02 PM
Thanks, GL! Good read!

AlreadyGone95
06-18-2015, 10:48 PM
Nice to read Glenn's and Don's take on the song.

Is the article written in German?

Freypower
06-18-2015, 10:50 PM
Nice to read Glenn's and Don's take on the song.

Is the article written in German?

It's in Dutch.

AlreadyGone95
06-18-2015, 10:52 PM
It's in Dutch.

Ah, I had no clue. Thanks FP

NightMistBlue
06-19-2015, 05:12 PM
That Dutch article was interesting, thank you.

Being a Randy fan, it struck me how Don's description of getting nervous about hitting the very high notes in OOTN was similar to what Randy felt about Take It to the Limit.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-19-2015, 09:12 PM
Saw this on Twitter. This guy is a radio station personality in Canada as well as SiriusXM. We follow each other, so hopefully he'll answer me when I ask where he got this info. Has anyone else ever heard it?

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/Eagles/eagles%20desperado%20costumes_zpsqrnffrwq.jpg

UndertheWire
06-20-2015, 07:51 AM
This is probably quite old, but still interesting. It's an interview with Josh Leo, who worked with various ex-Eagles during their solo careers. You can see how interconnected everything is. Also that Timothy came up with "Parrotheads".
http://www.traxfax4songwriters.com/Josh%20Leo%20Interview%20MASTER2%20%206192014%2060 52014.pdf

VAisForEagleLovers
06-20-2015, 10:14 AM
Thanks, UTW!

Funk 50
06-21-2015, 05:44 AM
I'd love to read the interview UTW, http://www.traxfax4songwriters.com/J...%206052014.pdf but, despite several attempts, I only get patchy text to view.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-21-2015, 10:24 AM
Trying to catch up on yesterday's news (my JAG marathon has taken over my life). Don and Joe attended a memorial service for Hollywood producer Michael King.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sylvester-stallone-bill-clinton-producer-803969

UndertheWire
06-21-2015, 10:53 AM
I'd love to read the interview UTW, http://www.traxfax4songwriters.com/J...%206052014.pdf but, despite several attempts, I only get patchy text to view.
It's a pdf file, so you need an appropriate plug-in for your browser or you could download and open with a stand-alone pdf reader.
I'm using Adobe 11.0.11 on Windows 7 (plug-in is adobe accessibility.api 11.0.11.18 for Firefox). I hope that helps.

AlreadyGone95
06-21-2015, 12:19 PM
Trying to catch up on yesterday's news (my JAG marathon has taken over my life). Don and Joe attended a memorial service for Hollywood producer Michael King.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sylvester-stallone-bill-clinton-producer-803969

Wow, I'd heard of the guy before, but had no idea what all he'd done, particularly with Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune.

AlreadyGone95
06-21-2015, 12:24 PM
This is probably quite old, but still interesting. It's an interview with Josh Leo, who worked with various ex-Eagles during their solo careers. You can see how interconnected everything is. Also that Timothy came up with "Parrotheads".
http://www.traxfax4songwriters.com/Josh%20Leo%20Interview%20MASTER2%20%206192014%2060 52014.pdf

Nice read. Thanks UTW! :)

VAisForEagleLovers
06-29-2015, 06:49 PM
I saw this earlier today and got distracted, it popped up on MSN. Took a while to find it again! Our guys make the list of highest paid celebrities (not just artists, but all celebrities).

http://www.forbes.com/celebrities/list/#tab:overall

AlreadyGone95
06-29-2015, 08:30 PM
I saw this earlier today and got distracted, it popped up on MSN. Took a while to find it again! Our guys make the list of highest paid celebrities (not just artists, but all celebrities).

http://www.forbes.com/celebrities/list/#tab:overall

Congrats guys! That's a nice list to make! :thumbsup:

Funk 50
06-30-2015, 05:35 AM
I'm not sure if Glenn and particularly Don would call themselves celebrities. Famous musicians?, yes but I'd say that they mostly shun the celeb stuff.

Even Joe, who's always mixing with the hoi palloi, is in it purely for the music, not the acclaim.

Jonny Come Lately
06-30-2015, 06:58 AM
I'm with you on that F50. I would personally describe Joe as a rock star, but not really a celebrity. Glenn and Don might make 'rock star' status at a bit of a push (if anything Don has the stronger case as his solo career was the more successful), although I'd say they were probably around the same level as Roger Waters and David Gilmour (Pink Floyd, like the Eagles, were a rather anti-rock star sort of band). I consider those four famous rock musicians but not quite rock stars. The other Eagles are respected rock or country-rock musicians but I don't they can be considered celebrities by any stretch of the imagination.

I guess the pecking order would be something like this:
- Celebrities (extremely widely recognised music stars, e.g. Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney).
- Rock stars (well known and recognisable to music fans if slightly less prominent in the eye of the general public or more interested in music than celebrity, e.g. Joe, Neil Young).
- Famous rock musicians (generally the most prominent members of famous bands who tried to avoid the celebrity spotlight, e.g. Don H, Glenn, Roger Waters, David Gilmour, or the less prominent members of 'rock star' bands, e.g. John Paul Jones).
- Respected rock musicians (the less prominent members of famous bands, e.g. Tim, Randy, Bernie, Don F; generally those who do not sing lead very often or at all, or otherwise ).

Some of the names might be debatable as to where they stand but I think this a fair assessment.

AlreadyGone95
07-04-2015, 01:36 AM
An article that starts off talking about the lyrics to Take It Easy, but then talks about 7 women who have been important to the band members(mostly Don Henley). I didn't know about #4.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/entertainment/2015/07/04/eagles-take-easy-lyrics/29637375/

VAisForEagleLovers
07-06-2015, 06:23 PM
Get Over It gets a mention...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/opinion/columns/story/2015/jul/06/im-offended-get-over-it/312980/

VAisForEagleLovers
07-06-2015, 06:30 PM
And another... It seems Glenn ordered up cheesesteaks for the Eagles when in town last September to open Allentown's new arena.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/food/index.ssf/2015/07/zandys_rings_in_75_years_of_ch.html

Funk 50
07-07-2015, 04:47 AM

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/opinion/columns/story/2015/jul/06/im-offended-get-over-it/312980/

"Victim and victor are both options" ???

I think the Eagles would prefer to distance themselves from this "Christian American Southern female"

As always, thanks for the link VA.

AlreadyGone95
07-07-2015, 12:03 PM

While I have to laugh at the article, I'm glad that she at least used a good song to show her point.

AlreadyGone95
07-07-2015, 12:04 PM
And another... It seems Glenn ordered up cheesesteaks for the Eagles when in town last September to open Allentown's new arena.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/food/index.ssf/2015/07/zandys_rings_in_75_years_of_ch.html

They must have some good food to stay in business that long!

NightMistBlue
07-07-2015, 01:10 PM

That was interesting, particularly "The band's singer-guitarist Glenn Frey has family connections to Nazareth and requested the steaks." Maybe Mrs. Frey is from there? Incidentally, the world-famous Martin guitars are made in Nazareth - it's pretty much the biggest business in town, but I guess Glenn is loyal to Takamine.

Re the article on women important to the Eagles: good to see the Joni Mitchell-"Help Me" thang finally made the press.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-07-2015, 01:22 PM
That was interesting, particularly "The band's singer-guitarist Glenn Frey has family connections to Nazareth and requested the steaks." Maybe Mrs. Frey is from there? Incidentally, the world-famous Martin guitars are made in Nazareth - it's pretty much the biggest business in town, but I guess Glenn is loyal to Takamine.

Re the article on women important to the Eagles: good to see the Joni Mitchell-"Help Me" thang finally made the press.

Actually, it's Mr. Frey (Glenn's dad) that has relatives in Nazareth.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-07-2015, 01:32 PM
There are comments on Glenn's relatives in the After Hours Press and Discussion thread, the pre-concert anticipation thread for Glenn's solo show in Bethlehem, PA in May 2012, and the review thread for the same show. I can't get the links to work where I am, so I can't post them. I want to say her name is Betty or Betty Jane, but I really can't remember, she's Glenn's aunt, and she was at the show. He gave her a shout-out at the concert.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-07-2015, 09:52 PM
This guy has written a weird article where he compares the Eagles and their personnel changes to the travails of higher education and those who teach it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryancraig/2015/07/07/higher-education-kicks-for-profit-universities-out-of-the-band/

NightMistBlue
07-08-2015, 10:07 AM
That is odd, and quite a strained comparison. I suspect he recently saw the documentary and just *had* to talk about it; we know the feeling!

We should refer him to the Border's "Heaven and Hell Discussion" thread, he would dig it :)

UndertheWire
07-08-2015, 10:42 AM
He's following that well-worn path of doc and H&H and if he continues and starts googling, he'll surely end up here.

I've seen similar comments on the hostility of Henley and Frey towards former members from others but his take on Felder is slightly different to usual: “Fingers” is an unreliable narrator of his own book, consistently trying to prove too much and contradicting himself.

I don't believe Felder ever accuses Frey of adultery, so I assume the writer was getting Meisner and Frey mixed up.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-08-2015, 11:19 AM
I believe several have taken Felder's comment in the book about wineglasses being outside of Glenn's door during HFO to mean he was doing something he shouldn't have been doing. Probably because Felder meant it as such, however I believe the idea was that Glenn was drinking when it was supposed to be a 'no drug, no alcohol' tour. Because Felder states it as something Glenn wasn't supposed to be doing, people assume it means Glenn was drinking wine (and more) with someone he shouldn't be drinking with. However, I believe the rule was no alcohol and no drugs while performing, not for the whole tour.

AlreadyGone95
07-08-2015, 11:27 AM
I believe that in the documentary, someone (maybe Glenn) said that the rule applied to "band time". (Rehearsals, gigs, interviews etc).

I'll have to watch part 2 again to be sure, though. Such a chore :lol:

NightMistBlue
07-08-2015, 11:49 AM
I believe several have taken Felder's comment in the book about wineglasses being outside of Glenn's door during HFO to mean he was doing something he shouldn't have been doing. Probably because Felder meant it as such, however I believe the idea was that Glenn was drinking when it was supposed to be a 'no drug, no alcohol' tour. Because Felder states it as something Glenn wasn't supposed to be doing, people assume it means Glenn was drinking wine (and more) with someone he shouldn't be drinking with. However, I believe the rule was no alcohol and no drugs while performing, not for the whole tour.

Oh I didn't take it that way, because wasn't Glenn's wife accompanying him on that tour? I thought Felder was commenting on the smell of pot emanating from the room :)

UndertheWire
07-08-2015, 12:09 PM
According to Joe's manager (http://www.cleveland.com/popmusic/index.ssf/2013/07/david_spero_artist-manager_tal.html#incart_river_default):

"The rules were straightforward," said Spero. "No drugs or drinking allowed on tour. In fact, it specified that all the hotel minibars be emptied in all the hotel rooms before band members arrived. There was to be no abuse of the crew, which meant no more of the usual yelling and screaming."
However, Felder invited Bernie for a beer in his dressing room, so maybe the rules got relaxed, or Frey wasn't the only one who didn't keep to them.

I assumed that Felder suspected Frey of drinking and smoking dope, not of womanising.

Funk 50
07-09-2015, 06:31 AM
As long as they were clean and sober in band mode and especially in the company of Joe, I don't see a problem with an illicit tipple.

To quote Told You So which I assume are Joe's rather than Felder's words

What you do in own your room
On your own time
Nobody's cause for alarm
If it don't do, if it don't do
Nobody no harm

Freypower
07-09-2015, 06:31 PM
According to Joe's manager (http://www.cleveland.com/popmusic/index.ssf/2013/07/david_spero_artist-manager_tal.html#incart_river_default):

However, Felder invited Bernie for a beer in his dressing room, so maybe the rules got relaxed, or Frey wasn't the only one who didn't keep to them.

I assumed that Felder suspected Frey of drinking and smoking dope, not of womanising.

In Felder's book he was referring to the HFO tour, not to the 70s.

The anecdote is typical of the cheap shots at Glenn which are taken throughout the book & should be read with an extremely large grain of salt.

UndertheWire
07-10-2015, 05:26 AM
In Felder's book he was referring to the HFO tour, not to the 70s.

The anecdote is typical of the cheap shots at Glenn which are taken throughout the book & should be read with an extremely large grain of salt.
Joe's manager was referring to the HFO tour, and Felder's invitation to Bernie was backstage at a date on the HFO tour.

It seems fairly clear that Felder resented being told what to do by Frey and this stopped him from seeing the bigger picture ie the rules were about making it easier for Joe and the rest of them to remain clean and sober.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Found this amusing tweet about something Harry Styles said during a One Direction concert:

Harry told the dads to pretend they were at the Eagles and clap along

AlreadyGone95
07-11-2015, 11:43 AM
:lol:. Well, at least he was trying to be a bit funny because I'm sure no parents would want to be there.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-12-2015, 06:46 PM
Some of you may remember the poor reviews of the Eagles concert at the Salmon Festival two years ago, and it sounds like the festival has had significantly less attendance the last two years, and this year they were plagued by nearby competition and cold temps. Given what I remember reading about the Eagle show there, I have to say, given the logistical problems of getting to the festival, perhaps they really should consider only expecting those who live relatively locally.

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Local/2015-07-12/article-4211825/Cool-night,-hot-act-at-Salmon-Festival-2015/1

jms18222
07-12-2015, 08:18 PM
They must have some good food to stay in business that long!

It is really good food, heart attack food but good. Haven't been there in a few years though.

sodascouts
07-16-2015, 01:51 PM
I believe the idea was that Glenn was drinking when it was supposed to be a 'no drug, no alcohol' tour.

Sorry for the late reply, but that's how I've always taken it.

Now, that comparison with higher education (http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryancraig/2015/07/07/higher-education-kicks-for-profit-universities-out-of-the-band/)... "strained" is an understatement. As a college professor, I was cringing throughout.

UndertheWire
07-17-2015, 09:07 AM
This is a slightly contentious subject, but Rolling Stone have done a reasonably fair piece on Randy's departure from the band (mostly based on Eliot's book). It's an improvement on the simplistic take I usually see.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/flashback-the-eagles-play-take-it-to-the-limit-in-1977-20150716

VAisForEagleLovers
07-17-2015, 11:26 AM
It is reasonably fair, but as with anything quoted from Eliot's book, there are so many known factual errors, I have a hard time believing anything that isn't backed up by another source. Other direct quotes were taken out of context, so again, I never know what to believe. For myself, personally, I have to believe that everything worked out the way it was supposed to.

As for the single event quoted about the scuffle between Randy and Glenn, and the apology later, from other sources, including the documentary, it seems it wasn't just one time that Randy complained about singing. Glenn may have frozen him out after the apology, which seems unfair, but what is not said is Glenn's confidence level of it not happening again, and how much that factored into 'the freeze'.