PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13

UndertheWire
07-17-2015, 03:15 PM
I believe that part of Eliot's book because it has direct quotes from both Henley and Randy.

My take, which may be wrong (disclaimer, disclaimer!) is that scuffle marked the point where Glenn gave up on Randy and that Henley had lost patience some time before.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-17-2015, 08:31 PM
Our guys make the top 5 list of Magical Music Moments in the 60 year history of Disneyland.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-disneyland-60-anniversary-pop-music-20150717-story.html

Ive always been a dreamer
07-18-2015, 05:34 PM
Now, that comparison with higher education (http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryancraig/2015/07/07/higher-education-kicks-for-profit-universities-out-of-the-band/)... "strained" is an understatement. As a college professor, I was cringing throughout.

OMG - I gotta agree with you, Soda. I'm not even a college professor, but that comparison to higher education was as lame as you can get, IMHO.

And Re: The article about Randy's departure from the band, I have to agree with VA about some of the factual errors. In everything else I've ever read, heard, or seen, Randy's refusal to sing TITTL became a persistent problem during the last months of his time in the band rather than a single isolated incident.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-19-2015, 09:59 AM
OMG - I gotta agree with you, Soda. I'm not even a college professor, but that comparison to higher education was as lame as you can get, IMHO.

And Re: The article about Randy's departure from the band, I have to agree with VA about some of the factual errors. In everything else I've ever read, heard, or seen, Randy's refusal to sing TITTL became a persistent problem during the last months of his time in the band rather than a single isolated incident.

It's the visuals vs. the audio in the documentary, and people's propensity to remember what they see vs. what they hear. They showed a clip from supposedly one night where it came to a head, and no one remembers the words saying it happened often and culminated at that one night.

It worked exactly the same with the Felder vs. Frey thing at Long Beach. No one ever hears or remembers Joe, Glenn, and Don saying it was build up. People walk away thinking Glenn decided one night to kick Felder's ass for no reason except "I guess."

VAisForEagleLovers
07-19-2015, 10:00 AM
On a lighter note, here are some memories of the Ozark Music Festival from long ago. I imagine our guys had a great time, what with all the naked hippie chicks.

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/article27672037.html

A highlight: Glenn Frey of the Eagles dedicating “Already Gone” to Richard Nixon, who would resign the presidency three weeks later.

Brooke
07-20-2015, 11:08 AM
Wow! I didn't realize it was such a huge mess! It certainly reminds me of Woodstock!

I guess I didn't get to go because I was getting married that weekend! Actually, I didn't even know it was going on! Good thing!

cynd1231
07-20-2015, 11:24 AM
The Eagles and Ted Nugent on the same bill! Life was so much simpler then.

Brooke
07-20-2015, 11:54 AM
What a fantastic line up of bands!

"Aerosmith, Bob Seger, the Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ted Nugent and REO Speedwagon"

I bet the bands flew in and out post haste! :hilarious:

AlreadyGone95
07-20-2015, 12:16 PM
Y ' know, despite all the hang ups of that festival, I still wanna say "Where the heck is the time machine located?" :hilarious: (I'm jealous of the people who got to see festivals like that)

Funk 50
07-20-2015, 02:22 PM
No food, no toilets and the National Guard chomping at the bit, if I had a time machine, I think I'd still give it a miss AlreadyGone95. :)

I can remember being a little afraid of punks in the late 70s so I can understand the locals being terrified of an invasion of hippies during the early 70s despite them being, on the whole, perfectly decent human beings.

It's a pity that nobody is lining up a 40th anniversary re-run. I'm sure they'd make a much better job of it 40 years on.

I wonder if there's some mega rich dude thinking, "25 million, I could afford that....."

As always, thanks for the link VA (although it no longer seems to be working :eyebrow:)

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainm...e27672037.html

VAisForEagleLovers
07-20-2015, 02:32 PM
No food, no toilets and the National Guard chomping at the bit, if I had a time machine, I think I'd still give it a miss AlreadyGone95. :)

I can remember being a little afraid of punks in the late 70s so I can understand the locals being terrified of an invasion of hippies during the early 70s despite them being, on the whole, perfectly decent human beings.

It's a pity that nobody is lining up a 40th anniversary re-run. I'm sure they'd make a much better job of it 40 years on.

I wonder if there's some mega rich dude thinking, "25 million, I could afford that....."

As always, thanks for the link VA (although it no longer seems to be working :eyebrow:)

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainm...e27672037.html

Try this one!

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/article27672037.html

NOLA
07-20-2015, 08:47 PM
What a fantastic line up of bands!

"Aerosmith, Bob Seger, the Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ted Nugent and REO Speedwagon"

I bet the bands flew in and out post haste! :hilarious:

Actually, Brooke, I can't help but wondering if one or more hung around for the festival. Heck, it's no big secret the Eagles were some of the biggest party animals of the '70s! :partytime: :drunk:

Brooke
07-21-2015, 08:42 AM
They very well might have! Can you imagine seeing all these bands in one place?! Awesome!

Little Woodstock! What a mess!

jms18222
07-21-2015, 12:24 PM
On the way down to the concert; The Heat Is On, The HeartOf The Matter & Life In The FastLane played on the radio. Dinner before the concert a guy was playing Hotel California on a piano. Saturday nigh HC again was playing on the sound system to a reggae beat.

AlreadyGone95
07-21-2015, 12:28 PM
They very well might have! Can you imagine seeing all these bands in one place?! Awesome!

Little Woodstock! What a mess!

And that is why a time machine is needed. $20 to see all of those bands?!
No food, no toilets... sometimes my old church camp had that problem (someone made a toilet overflow or one of the old pipes burst. One of the adults would forget to go shopping for supplies and they'd be searching for food to feed us for lunch. No a/c, chapel was outdoors etc), so I could probably handle it lol. I just don't know about the national guard part.

I think that I would enjoy it for the most part, although maybe the 1974 California Jam is a better festival to time travel back to.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-21-2015, 07:43 PM
The poster for the festival. Link to it now before it goes away. It's for sale on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231622706052?item=231622706052&lgeo=1&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true

VAisForEagleLovers
07-21-2015, 08:33 PM
A review of Andrew Vaughn's new book:

http://www.houstonpress.com/music/everything-thats-left-to-know-about-the-eagles-is-here-7535295

07-21-2015, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the link VA. I've had this book for months and still haven't had a chance to read it. :brickwall:

GlennLover
07-22-2015, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the link VA. I've had this book for months and still haven't had a chance to read it. :brickwall:
Please let us know when you have read it, Dreamer. I'm curious to know if it is worth purchasing. The "facts" mentioned in the book review were certainly not new to us!

NightMistBlue
07-23-2015, 10:16 AM

Me too. Did you read the bit about how many farm animals the crowd slaughtered because they were hungry?! [shudder] Bit of a Lord of the Flies thing going on. Not Woodstock-y at all, but more like the Woodstock '99 hell scene.

OT: I would borrow the time machine for June 21, 1975 at Wembley Stadium https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KldSglCoYaU

GlennLover
07-23-2015, 11:36 PM
Me too. Did you read the bit about how many farm animals the crowd slaughtered because they were hungry?! [shudder] Bit of a Lord of the Flies thing going on. Not Woodstock-y at all, but more like the Woodstock '99 hell scene.

OT: I would borrow the time machine for June 21, 1975 at Wembley Stadium https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KldSglCoYaU

Cool! Nice find, MBM!:thumbsup:

AlreadyGone95
07-24-2015, 01:38 PM
Wow, what cool commercial! I doubt that you'd see something like that on tv now.

NightMistBlue
07-24-2015, 01:56 PM
Man, if I had seen that commercial when I was a kid, my head would have exploded. Too thrilling. Elton John and the Beach Boys were my very favorite musicians. I liked the Eagles and Rufus too.

I wonder if anyone filmed the concert? Guess it would have turned up by now.

AlreadyGone95
07-25-2015, 11:46 AM
Man, if I had seen that commercial when I was a kid, my head would have exploded. Too thrilling. Elton John and the Beach Boys were my very favorite musicians. I liked the Eagles and Rufus too.

I wonder if anyone filmed the concert? Guess it would have turned up by now.

I believe that there is audio of some of Elton's set on youtube. I don't know about any footage, though.

AlreadyGone95
07-25-2015, 05:25 PM
Rolling Stone wants to know the best Eagles song. (You can vote for any song that they ever recorded)

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/weekend-rock-question-what-is-the-best-eagles-song-20150724

You have to vote via their Facebook page or Twitter, though.

Lilah
07-27-2015, 06:03 PM
I found this and I thought others might enjoy it. I did.

http://www.avclub.com/article/earlybird-14-non-hits-that-show-the-eagles-are-bet-100639

VAisForEagleLovers
07-27-2015, 09:37 PM
This was published a day or so ago and I put it in the Little Rock concert thread today. I closed that thread since the concert is in progress. I thought I'd put it here as well, in case people wish to comment on it.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/jul/26/super-or-superficial-20150726/

AlreadyGone95
07-27-2015, 09:56 PM
I disagree with GH being the "Eagles album everyone needs to own". The Very Best of is what I'd pick for that. My mom bought me a copy of the Very Best of from Walmart when I was 13, and I still have it. (At the age of 13, the music bug hadn't quite hit me full force, so I attribute that to me remaining a casual fan for several more years to come.)

I also disagree with the author's opinion of Already Gone(the only one of my top 5 (almost top 10) Eagles songs to appear on GH). Imo, it's one of their best songs and one of the best songs ever(hence my usage of it as a username).

Now, the hate thing. I'm a part of a group of "metal heads" online. When I mentioned that the Eagles had clicked with me, the reaction wasn't very positive, although I had a few friends admit to being closet Eagles fans. I think that most "haters" just hate cause its cool. A few of my friends were like "those country rock posers.. you like that wimpy sissy wannabe rock band?". I showed them AG, James Dean, Get Over It, LITFL etc. Then they shut up. I honestly won't ever understand the hate.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-29-2015, 04:21 PM
Kind of strange...whatever world The Rolling Stone lives in is a few hours or days ahead of the rest of us. They claim this is a reader poll of favorite Eagles songs.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/readers-poll-the-10-best-eagles-songs-20150729

AlreadyGone95
07-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Kind of strange...whatever world The Rolling Stone lives in is a few hours or days ahead of the rest of us. They claim this is a reader poll of favorite Eagles songs.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/readers-poll-the-10-best-eagles-songs-20150729

It's a poll done on RS's Facebook and Twitter pages. I posted the link to the page in this thread a few days ago (either Friday or Saturday, I can't remember). I voted for Outlaw Man, but I knew that it wasn't gonna make the top 10.

Overall, that is a pretty good top 10.

Brooke
07-29-2015, 04:52 PM
Not a bad list. I wouldn't have expected The Last Resort or Wasted Time to make it though. Great songs known by harder core fans, not by casual fans.

Freypower
07-29-2015, 06:40 PM
It's an OK list & very Henley-heavy. Where is New Kid In Town? I'm glad Lyin' Eyes is there.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-29-2015, 06:44 PM
It's an OK list & very Henley-heavy. Where is New Kid In Town? I'm glad Lyin' Eyes is there.

Perhaps most fans who took the time to vote on it prefer Henley? Or don't care which of them sings the song, they just like the songs they voted for?

L101
07-29-2015, 06:53 PM
Perhaps most fans who took the time to vote on it prefer Henley? Or don't care which of them sings the song, they just like the songs they voted for?

You just got in before me VA - I was just going to say something similar. Most true fans don't care which of them sings the song, as its the songs which define the Eagles as a group, not each individual singer or which singer sings the most songs....
I think the list is just fine, it has the usual songs though it would have been nice to see some of the less well known songs make the list especially 'These Shoes' or 'DD/D Reprise' since they are played on the HOTE tour.

Freypower
07-29-2015, 06:54 PM
It was just an observation, that's all.:depressed: I think I am as much a 'true fan' as anyone else.

07-29-2015, 08:18 PM
Not a bad list. I wouldn't have expected The Last Resort or Wasted Time to make it though. Great songs known by harder core fans, not by casual fans.

Although I love both of those songs, I have to agree, Brooke. My personal Top Ten would have to include New Kid In Town and Heartache Tonight.

GlennLover
07-29-2015, 11:28 PM
Although I love both of those songs, I have to agree, Brooke. My personal Top Ten would have to include New Kid In Town and Heartache Tonight.

So would mine.

Jonny Come Lately
07-30-2015, 05:07 AM
Good list on the whole, not too unpredictable but I agree with most of the choices. I can't really argue too much with the top three, all of which I consider to be major classics. I was absolutely delighted to see The Last Resort get a richly deserved fourth place. If I could make one change to the list, I would remove Wasted Time (great song but I like others better), of the more likely candidates I would be very happy with either Already Gone or New Kid In Town as a replacement. I'd be equally happy though if WT was replaced by the less well known Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise). I'd suggest Waiting In The Weeds and Long Road Out Of Eden as well but I suspect too few of the voters were familiar with these songs for them to reach the top 10.

I'd personally love to know which songs were in positions 11-20. The Eagles are one of the few bands where a top 10 is not quite enough to accurately summarise their best music as they have so many hits and, more significantly, the hits are great songs and much loved. I feel this makes it difficult for many of the album tracks to make much of an impact on these lists.

Thumbs down though for the inevitable Lebowski quote reference. I actually think it's quite funny in the context of the film, but I don't think going around saying 'I f***ing hate [insert name of band you don't like]' is funny in itself. I can only guess that the resident non-fan suggested the inclusion of this, as it wasn't especially relevant.

AlreadyGone95
07-31-2015, 12:44 AM
Forgive me if this has been posted before. I don't remember seeing it.(I checked for the article in this thread, and I didn't see it. I found it a little while ago while searching Google for reviews of the Eagles' show in Bossier City. (Unfortunately, I didn't find anything about the show at all, even Google alerts failed me).

http://m.spokesman.com/stories/2015/may/29/beyond-the-limit-the-best-eagles-deep-cuts/

The writer picks his favorite deep cut from each of the 6 original albums. Personally, I don't consider In the City a deep cut. He practically tosses LROOE aside, though.

Jonny Come Lately
07-31-2015, 03:07 AM
Thanks for posting that AG95. This is what I make of his comments on each album:

Eagles - His comments on the album are fair. I disagree only with the choice of Nightingale as the best deep track, to me it's probably the song that stands out least. I'd go for either Take The Devil or TLHTM.

Desperado - I agree that's a better and more cohesive album than the debut, except that I would say it is a bigger improvement than the author suggests. I fully agree with Doolin-Dalton as the best deep cut. I don't find OOC lame and I would say that Outlaw Man and even CKOF are more rock than country-rock (the main difference is their noticeably more distorted guitar sound).

On The Border - I agree with this for the most part, except that Midnight Flyer is bluegrass and not a ballad and I wouldn't call BOML or especially My Man syrupy. GDIH is a great nomination for the best deep track and I agree with the title track as well.

One Of These Nights - I don't see how the title track is typical of the Eagles trademark style up to that point. They'd never done anything like it before except perhaps the previous album's title track, which didn't have the high vocals. Lyin' Eyes is for sure, TITTL is somewhere in between (I think it is somewhat R&B influenced). I'm also somewhat surprised that Visions is suggested as one of the best deep tracks. JOTS is a better nomination, although I would go for ATTIG - I think this was the album where Henley and Frey fully established themselves as the band's best songwriters.

Hotel California - I agree that it's the band's grandest statement and don't disagree about its consistency. The point about LITFL not being as edgy now is fair as music artists can get away with sex and drugs references to a greater extent now (especially in genres like rap). VOL and TALA are both great songs, my pick would be The Last Resort but all of the deep cuts are very strong here in my view.

The Long Run - I disagree that it's a retread of the previous album. It is not as cohesive but I think that it has some very good new musical ideas (ICTYW and Those Shoes especially, KOH to some extent as well). It only really has two ballads, which themselves are quite different in style, with the rest of the music being mostly guitar, bass and drums. It also has one song, Heartache Tonight, which is an oasis of fun rock and roll amongst the darker songs. There is no equivalent ideas In The City is a strong track (I'm surprised he doesn't seem to know that it was originally recorded solo by Walsh) although my two nominations would be The Sad Café and Those Shoes.

Long Road Out Of Eden - Can't really say a lot about his comments on this one. It would have been helpful if he'd stated which songs he'd listened to but if you asked me to name one song that seems like the most natural addition to the list to me, I'd go for Somebody.

Overall I think it is reasonably well written, although I definitely agree with him more on certain albums and tracks than with others.

secret squirrel
07-31-2015, 11:02 AM
It's a poll done on RS's Facebook and Twitter pages. I posted the link to the page in this thread a few days ago (either Friday or Saturday, I can't remember). I voted for Outlaw Man, but I knew that it wasn't gonna make the top 10.

Overall, that is a pretty good top 10.

Agree. Also love Outlaw Man. Good but mainly obvious choices.

SS
xx
http://thetomschillingpoems.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/napola-1.html

VAisForEagleLovers
07-31-2015, 05:15 PM
UCR's take on today's historical significance:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/the-eagles-break-up/

AlreadyGone95
08-04-2015, 05:10 PM
Here's an article about the petition to have the former Eagles members honored at the Kennedy Center awards.
http://www.noise11.com/news/eagles-fans-start-petition-to-include-early-members-in-kennedy-honors-20150804

VAisForEagleLovers
08-13-2015, 09:00 PM
Our guys made the list of 'bands that reunited with great success'. Of course.

http://www.craveonline.com/music/889621-roaring-back-bands-who-reunited-with-great-success

VAisForEagleLovers
08-14-2015, 08:10 AM
Yet another list by Rolling Stone where I have to wonder what they're smoking. Glenn and Don share the number 49 spot for top 10 songwriters, and some of the ones who came in ahead of them will have you scratching your head.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-songwriters#don-henley-and-glenn-frey

UndertheWire
08-14-2015, 09:28 AM
At least they chose some nice pictures. That's about all I can for the list.

Brooke
08-14-2015, 09:51 AM
Interesting! I wish I had time to read about each artist.

AlreadyGone95
08-14-2015, 09:57 AM
I do see some good artists on the list. It's just the order that's crazy. I'm shocked that Joni Mitchell is so high, #9. At least the guys got a cool number, with #49, Funk #49. (A bit lame, but I couldn't resist)

NightMistBlue
08-14-2015, 09:59 AM
Yet another list by Rolling Stone where I have to wonder what they're smoking. Glenn and Don share the number 49 spot for top 10 songwriters, and some of the ones who came in ahead of them will have you scratching your head.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-songwriters#don-henley-and-glenn-frey

WTF?! Max Martin, who writes for crap "artists" like One Direction and Katy Perry, ranks higher than Don and Glenn. That's just stupid.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-14-2015, 10:40 AM
WTF?! Max Martin, who writes for crap "artists" like One Direction and Katy Perry, ranks higher than Don and Glenn. That's just stupid.

Yes, and this is just one example. I agree with Joni's position on the list, she's considered by many to be one of the best songwriters of all time. Others on the list... I shouldn't be surprised, it is RS that we're talking about. If ever there was a 'news' outlet that had their own agenda and promoted it with every article they write, it's RS.

NightMistBlue
08-14-2015, 10:50 AM
No wonder Glenn (and Don?) got so frustrated about NY critics.

I'm probably being overly cranky about this because, as I mentioned in the Fleetwood Mac thread, CNN had an hour-long program about music of the Seventies last night and the only mention of the Eagles was a clip of Linda Ronstadt (also used in HOTE) about the SoCal music scene.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-14-2015, 11:18 AM
Seriously?? The number one album of all time was released in the 70's and they don't even mention it? I hesitate to ask what they did talk about. I feel an email coming on...

NightMistBlue
08-14-2015, 11:46 AM
The Clash, Chic, The Trammps ("Disco Inferno"), Bee Gees, Sugarhill Gang, Ramones, David Bowie, Heart, Marvin Gaye, Cat Stevens, Carole King, Rolling Stones, Talking Heads, Joni Mitchell, Jackson 5

Led Zeppelin was discussed briefly - not for their music but for their airplane.

Critics don't like it when people are *too* successful.

bluefeather
08-16-2015, 02:40 PM
I just looked through the list and I seriously question some of the pics. No Page/Plant?! Michael Jackson?!

UndertheWire
08-17-2015, 04:47 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/cameron-crowe-looks-back-on-his-1975-eagles-cover-story-20150817?page=2

He talks about this photo but doesn't include it:
http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t450/hairynosed/early_zpsab07c54f.jpg

L101
08-17-2015, 05:04 PM
Nice one UTW!! :thumbsup:
I was wondering what that photo looked like and its good !! So young and innocent :hilarious:

NightMistBlue
08-17-2015, 05:14 PM
OMG, that lucky b*st@rd Crowe! Got to live in the Eagles Nest house while they wrote OOTN. [clenches teeth] And owns a cassette of Lyin' Eyes that is "a two-hour real-time document of the writing of one of their biggest hits, and an audio snapshot of the collaborative process that would produce so many of the Henley-Frey songs that still fill the airwaves."

That tape should be in a museum, or a songwriting class! Seriously.

P.S. I wanna see the Neal Preston alternate boat shots really bad.

Michelle103
08-17-2015, 05:33 PM
Yes, and this is just one example. I agree with Joni's position on the list, she's considered by many to be one of the best songwriters of all time. Others on the list... I shouldn't be surprised, it is RS that we're talking about. If ever there was a 'news' outlet that had their own agenda and promoted it with every article they write, it's RS.

I have to agree about RS but #49 is too way off. Everyone here knows better.

GlennLover
08-17-2015, 08:31 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/cameron-crowe-looks-back-on-his-1975-eagles-cover-story-20150817?page=2

Thanks, UTE. That was the photo that came to mind when I read the article, but I hadn't had time to search for it.

GlennLover
08-17-2015, 08:33 PM
OMG, that lucky b*st@rd Crowe! Got to live in the Eagles Nest house while they wrote OOTN. [clenches teeth] And owns a cassette of Lyin' Eyes that is "a two-hour real-time document of the writing of one of their biggest hits, and an audio snapshot of the collaborative process that would produce so many of the Henley-Frey songs that still fill the airwaves."

Glenn has said that he thought that they had written more verses of Lyin' Eyes & that he wished he still had the legal pad from that writing session. Maybe Cameron has it!?

sodascouts
08-17-2015, 11:01 PM

ITA with all of this! Wow!

AlreadyGone95
08-18-2015, 01:02 AM

Great read. (I definitely need to get a copy of the new issue of RS)
Man, are they young there! Love the tape patches on Glenn's knees. :hilarious:

AlreadyGone95
08-18-2015, 01:07 AM

Cameron got to be an actual fly on the wall. :jealous:.

I believe that I've seen some of the alternative boat shots around here.

Actually, here's 2 from EOC. (Aren't these considered alternative shots because they weren't used?).
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/eagles1975boat01.jpg
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/eagles1975boat04.jpg

UndertheWire
08-18-2015, 06:15 AM
I would love to read an in-depth article/book on the band by Cameron Crowe. i'm sure it would be a little rose-tinted by his obvious affection for the band and its members, but that would be a nice antedote to all the stuff from writers who try to appear cool by repeating any rumour or speculation that shows the band in a negative way.

I want to hear the "Bad boys" song.

NightMistBlue
08-18-2015, 09:18 AM
I want to hear the "Bad boys" song.

Me too! What can be done to persuade the band that they need to share the unreleased tracks?? One would think it would be enough motivation that all of their peers include unreleased tracks on "deluxe" ($$) album reissues.

Fans understand that these unreleased songs are not grade A quality - obviously, that's why they didn't make it onto the original albums. But the music is still important and fascinating.

Brooke
08-18-2015, 10:45 AM
Cool article! Thanks UtW!

Cameron Crowe has a treasure trove! Can you just imagine?!

I need to find this issue!

Funk 50
08-19-2015, 04:30 AM
I was there, with tape recorder on, as they wrote "Lyin' Eyes" and "After the Thrill Is Gone," the title song and many others, including an unrecorded gem called "When a Bad Boy Meets a Bad Girl in the Night."

Now I know about it, I want to hear it. I suppose it could have been released with a less clumsy title in the intervening years.

Cameron's a great journalist but I'd have to question;

The Eagles opened the evening without an introduction. The lights lowered, and they began with an a cappella version of "Seven Bridges Road," quickly adding instruments and swinging into "Take It Easy."

In 1972 it would have been the "Silver Dagger" intro.
I've done a little research into Seven Bridges Road. Steve Young's 1969 original is a waltz. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpV83ovYAyY
The Ian Matthews (Fairport Convention) arrangement from a 1973 is the one the Eagles adopted; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt2IFaCwTKk
It's really lovely.

http://www.songplaces.com/Seven_Bridges_Road/Woodley_Road_Montgomery_Alabama

Brooke
08-19-2015, 03:33 PM
We had that Ian Matthews album and loved his version! I thought he wrote it until Glenn announced that Steve Young did!

08-19-2015, 10:53 PM
This has been a fun thread to read the last couple of days - thanks for posting that link to The Rolling Stone article, UTW. Cameron has a treasure trove, indeed.

And I love all versions of 7BR, including Steve Young's original version. But, of course, I do have a favorite rendition that I consider to be a cut above the rest. :thumbsup:

Michelle103
08-20-2015, 03:52 PM
Now I know about it, I want to hear it. I suppose it could have been released with a less clumsy title in the intervening years.

Cameron's a great journalist but I'd have to question;

In 1972 it would have been the "Silver Dagger" intro.
I've done a little research into Seven Bridges Road. Steve Young's 1969 original is a waltz. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpV83ovYAyY
The Ian Matthews (Fairport Convention) arrangement from a 1973 is the one the Eagles adopted; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt2IFaCwTKk
It's really lovely.

http://www.songplaces.com/Seven_Bridges_Road/Woodley_Road_Montgomery_Alabama

Great links...thank you.

No one could every say their talent doesn't run very deep. There are almost 5,000,000 views on youtube, uploaded in 2009. Their harmony is beyond awesome.

NightMistBlue
08-21-2015, 12:09 PM
The Eagles' version has 5 million hits? Much deserved; their harmonies are peerless. The "Silver Dagger" clip in HOTE knocked me sideways; I was like, "WHAT IS THAT?!"

NOLA
08-21-2015, 05:37 PM
The "Silver Dagger" clip in HOTE knocked me sideways; I was like, "WHAT IS THAT?!"

Me, too, NMB! I thought it was a lost verse of 7BR and wondered why it wasn't included in the song on the Eagles Live LP.

L101
08-22-2015, 07:31 PM
I came across this quiz on how well you know the Eagles :

http://www.dfw.com/static/eagles-quiz/

It could be fun to see what the results are - I got 23/25 ( I got 13 and 21 wrong so I don't feel too bad :grin:)

AlreadyGone95
08-23-2015, 01:21 AM
I got 23/25 as well. I know that I got #13 wrong, but I didn't pay attention to what number the other one was..

Keith
08-24-2015, 06:38 AM
I only got 20, and learned some cool trivia.

Brooke
08-24-2015, 01:41 PM
21 here! I should have done better, but I learned a couple things too!

08-25-2015, 09:27 PM
I got 24 correct - missed #12. I didn't know the answer to 14 either, but I got lucky with my guess.

Topkat
08-27-2015, 12:33 PM
Has anyone seen this? I don't even see any mention on here about the Kennedy Center Honors?
https://www.change.org/p/john-f-kennedy-center-for-performing-arts-the-eagles-allow-former-eagles-members-don-felder-bernie-leadon-and-randy-meisner-to-be-honored-alongside-the-current-members-of-the-band-at-kennedy-center-honors?recruiter=303473265&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_facebook_responsive&utm_term=des-lg-share_petition-no_msg&fb_ref=Default

Brooke
08-27-2015, 02:21 PM
Has anyone seen this? I don't even see any mention on here about the Kennedy Center Honors?
https://www.change.org/p/john-f-kennedy-center-for-performing-arts-the-eagles-allow-former-eagles-members-don-felder-bernie-leadon-and-randy-meisner-to-be-honored-alongside-the-current-members-of-the-band-at-kennedy-center-honors?recruiter=303473265&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_facebook_responsive&utm_term=des-lg-share_petition-no_msg&fb_ref=Default

Here: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5783

Brooke
09-10-2015, 11:38 AM
Our guys are in Forbes top 50 World's Highest Paid Celebrities coming in at #14! Beating out the Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney among others!

http://www3.forbes.com/business/the-worlds-highest-paid-celebrities-2015/38/

AlreadyGone95
09-10-2015, 12:07 PM
Congrats guys. That's definitely a nice list to be on. I just wish that the photo they used had all 4 of them, not just Glenn and Joe.

09-12-2015, 12:15 PM
Thanks Brooke. It looks like our guys are still part of the 'it' crowd. I'm sure they would have been near the top of that list if they had played more dates. Not too shabby for a bunch of '70s dudes! :thumbsup:

UndertheWire
09-13-2015, 12:48 PM
It shows how suspect those "Net worth" sites as I don't think their valuations have changed over the last few years despite the success of the HotE tour.

AlreadyGone95
09-13-2015, 03:51 PM
It shows how suspect those "Net worth" sites as I don't think their valuations have changed over the last few years despite the success of the HotE tour.

Agreed. I still find it hard to believe that Don has a net worth of about $200 million, while Glenn is worth about $70 million. :eyebrow:. I know that Don is more known because of his "bigger" solo career(having more success than Glenn), but stilll...

And if anyone wants to know where I got those figures from: Don: http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/rock-stars/don-henley-net-worth/

Glenn- http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/rock-stars/glenn-frey-net-worth/

Freypower
09-13-2015, 07:25 PM
That's several years old, isn't it? I am prepared to believe that Don is worth more, but the discrepancy seems too large given the amount of money Glenn must have made since the Eagles reformed.

AlreadyGone95
09-13-2015, 08:37 PM
That's several years old, isn't it? I am prepared to believe that Don is worth more, but the discrepancy seems too large given the amount of money Glenn must have made since the Eagles reformed.

I don't know. I know that Don's is recent because he was in the top 5 richest drummers list (http://www.stereogum.com/1137282/the-30-richest-drummers-in-the-world/franchises/list/) in 2012 with the $200 million net worth.(with HOTE and touring, plus Cass County, that number should've at least stayed the same of not increased) I don't know how recent Glenn's figure is though.

shunlvswx
09-13-2015, 08:39 PM
Would Waldon Woods and Caddo Lake factor into his net worth?

AlreadyGone95
09-13-2015, 08:46 PM

That's a good question. They're assets, so I think so.(but I don't know for sure) Doesn't Don own part of Walden Woods?

I know that most musicians who are worth gazillions of dollars usually do more than music, ie: acting, clothing line, restaurant business etc

Freypower
09-13-2015, 08:50 PM

Those are charities. How can he make money from them? He doesn't own them. How are they assets?

And as I said, 2012 is three years ago. I don't believe Glenn's worth hasn't substantially increased with the Eagles' recent tours.

AlreadyGone95
09-15-2015, 02:01 AM
I thought that Don (or the charity) owned a part of the Walden Woods property, but perhaps I'm misinformed.
-------------

I came across this article while scrolling through Facebook.
5 famous hidden song meanings that are bs (http://www.cracked.com/article_19454_5-famous-hidden-song-meanings-that-are-total-b.s..html). Hotel California is #5.

For those who don't know, Cracked is mainly a humor site. I musr say that photo of Glenn and Joe with the satanic symbol beside them gave me a chuckle, as did the ice machine part.

WalshFan88
09-18-2015, 11:57 PM
I know this is a Don Henley interview, but it's Eagles related. Soda or a mod can move it to the Henley section if need be.

Don said the band will be likely ending in the next couple of years and it'll be Glenn's decision. Boo hiss, of course.

All I can say is that I'm truly happy I got to see them twice and got to witness their magic live.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/tv-guy/os-don-henley-foresees-eagles-end-post.html

Funk 50
09-19-2015, 04:08 AM
Presently, I'm expecting The Eagles to pick up again. I'm sure Irving will have some plans.

The only thing I'm worried about, is that if Glenn takes an extended break and loses his chops. He sang pretty good on After Hours, I really hope he's working on something while Don does Cass County, I'm sure Tim and Joe are.

If the Eagles regroup and Glenn, through inactivity, has dropped below the Eagles high quality threshold, even after some hot housing, I reckon he'll quit and I can't see the others carrying on without him.

Now that they've all done a post Long Road Out Of Eden, solo album, I'd like the Eagles to do another victory lap, even if it is only touring.

09-19-2015, 02:10 PM
Boo hiss is right, Austin or as another wise man once sang 'I Don't Want to Hear Any More'.

Now, just to clarify ... I mean this talk about calling it quits. I know it's coming eventually, but I'm still in hopes that after a break, the guys will be ready to book some more Eagles shows later next year. Even if they just do a few shows for a few weeks at a time, it will be better than nothing. I wonder if they'll bring Bernie back? If so, they should just continue with the HotE shows. I mean it's only been going for 2 years, whereas, some of their previous tours have gone on for a much longer run. What bothers me the most is if they aren't going to continue the HotE shows, how much time, energy, and money are they willing to put into revamping the entire show? If they don't do either of these, then we may have to settle for occasional 90-minute shows in a few select cities. I wouldn't even mind the occasional few select cities as long as it's not the 90-minute version.

UndertheWire
09-23-2015, 04:22 AM
This is pretty neat, if only slightly Eagleish.

Bruce Springsteen (http://www.billboard.com/artist/298448/bruce-springsteen/chart) celebrated his birthday one day early by jumping onstage with Jackson Browne (http://www.billboard.com/artist/304006/jackson-browne/chart) for a jam at a New Jersey show.
The Boss -- who turns 66 on Sept. 23 -- watched most of the show at Red Bank's Count Basie Theatre from the audience. He later joined Browne to perform a 12-minute version of “Take It Easy.” The song, which Browne co-wrote with Eagles (http://www.billboard.com/artist/276040/eagles/chart) member Glenn Frey (http://www.billboard.com/artist/302924/glenn-frey/chart), first charted as a hit for The Eagles in the No. 12 position on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1972.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6706929/bruce-springsteen-jackson-browne

12 minutes!

AlreadyGone95
09-23-2015, 11:35 AM
12 minutes? :stunned:. Sounds like a cool jam version of the song.

UndertheWire
09-23-2015, 12:06 PM
There's video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GnFmYzFITw (https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=141&v=lUh7HtXyiWg)

(Updated because there's a longer, cleaner video)

Roey
09-24-2015, 12:53 AM
I was at the Monday night Jackson Browne concert at the same venue. Great concert. I was secretly hoping for a Bruce appearance since he lives nearby and he gave the introduction speech when Jackson was inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame. Can't complain though., Jackson Browne's voice was mesmerizing. He seemed to be having fun. The band was amazing. We enjoyed the night so much we thought about getting tickets for Tuesday but it was sold out and stubhub is not in the budget. Great night. A Bruce appearance would have been icing on the cake.

Brooke
09-24-2015, 09:28 AM
Glad you enjoyed it, Roey! I love Jackson!

AlreadyGone95
09-24-2015, 05:13 PM
The Guardian posted an old Eagles interview from 1974 (when they were promoting On the Border) in honor of Cass County's release tomorrow.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/sep/24/eagles-1974-interview-rocks-backpages-crawdaddy-magazine

LuvTim
09-24-2015, 08:43 PM
The Guardian posted an old Eagles interview from 1974 (when they were promoting On the Border) in honor of Cass County's release tomorrow.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/sep/24/eagles-1974-interview-rocks-backpages-crawdaddy-magazine

Thanks for this, AG! Enjoying the California Jam videos! :thumbsup:

09-24-2015, 10:10 PM
Yep! I love reading or hearing those old interviews. :rockon:

AlreadyGone95
09-25-2015, 12:07 AM
Thanks for this, AG! Enjoying the California Jam videos! :thumbsup:

You are very welcome! The California Jam version of Already Gone is my favorite live version of the song I've heard. I love seeing Glenn playing the guitar solo! :guitar:. I also loved reading the old interviews!

NightMistBlue
09-25-2015, 03:23 PM
Thank you for this awesomeness, AG! I'm pleased the article includes quotes from the band's "soft-spoken bassist." :heart:

secret squirrel
09-28-2015, 11:43 AM
Ok - don't know where to post this but received it from Eagles Online Store as an email. Please delete if it should go elsewhere. I know there's a tour merchandise section but is there a general one?

SS
xx
http://pistoriusontrial.blogspot.co.uk/ (http://pistoriusontrial.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/oscar-pistorius-has-gad-guilt-anxiety.html)

https://dub128.mail.live.com/Handlers/ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=8vcoo840j6s8yKNC9D7C5B7rkitucveIF3m54uubHSQ %3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fi1.cmail2.com%2fei%2fy%2f7D%2f8BC %2f4BE%2f092925%2fcsimport%2feaglesblastmtheader_0 _0_0.png (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-dydlhht-yudldhjkji-r/) https://dub128.mail.live.com/Handlers/ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=8vcoo840j6s8yKNC9D7C5B7rkitucveIF3m54uubHSQ %3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fi2.cmail2.com%2fei%2fy%2f7D%2f8BC %2f4BE%2f092925%2fcsimport%2f7pnk_1_1_1.jpg Don Henley's New Album Cass County Available Today

https://dub128.mail.live.com/Handlers/ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=8vcoo840j6s8yKNC9D7C5B7rkitucveIF3m54uubHSQ %3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fi3.cmail2.com%2fei%2fy%2f7D%2f8BC %2f4BE%2f092925%2fcsimport%2fbddfce_2.jpg
Don Henley’s first solo album in 15 years, Cass County, was released today and is available now at all music retailers, including iTunes (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-dydlhht-yudldhjkji-y/) and Amazon (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-dydlhht-yudldhjkji-j/).

Cass County is available as a 12-song standard CD and digital album, as well as a 16-track deluxe version, available on CD, digitally and a double disc, 180 gram Vinyl LP. A super deluxe version, seen HERE (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-dydlhht-yudldhjkji-t/), includes a 50-page booklet with exclusive photos, collector postcards, deluxe CD album and deluxe Vinyl (2-Disc 180 Gram).

Exclusive Cass County bundles are available in Don Henley's official Online Store (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-dydlhht-yudldhjkji-i/), including the album, T-Shirt and lithograph.

See Don Henley live on the 'Cass County Tour 2015' - Get tickets HERE (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-dydlhht-yudldhjkji-d/). Each ticket includes a deluxe CD copy of the album.

Joe Walsh Fall Solo Toor & Merchandise

https://dub128.mail.live.com/Handlers/ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=8vcoo840j6s8yKNC9D7C5B7rkitucveIF3m54uubHSQ %3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fi4.cmail2.com%2fei%2fy%2f7D%2f8BC %2f4BE%2f092925%2fcsimport%2fojfnbp_3.jpg (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-dydlhht-yudldhjkji-h/)

Joe Walsh's 2015 solo toor (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-dydlhht-yudldhjkji-k/) just kicked off and will continue through October with dates primarily on the eastern seaboard. Joe will be performing hits from throughout his career, ranging from the James Gang to his Barnstorm days, to the Eagles and his solo records right through to 2012’s ANALOG MAN, and some surprises. New 2015 toor merchandise is now available in Joe Walsh's Official Online Store (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-dydlhht-yudldhjkji-u/), including T-Shirts, hats, accessories and more.

See a full list of dates and get tickets now at JoeWalsh.com (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-dydlhht-yudldhjkji-o/). Follow Joe on Facebook (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-dydlhht-yudldhjkji-b/), Twitter (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-dydlhht-yudldhjkji-n/) and Instagram (http://mailinglist.gctrl.com/t/y-l-dydlhht-yudldhjkji-p/) for updates from the road.
https://dub128.mail.live.com/Handlers/ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=8vcoo840j6s8yKNC9D7C5B7rkitucveIF3m54uubHSQ %3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fi5.cmail2.com%2fei%2fy%2f7D%2f8BC %2f4BE%2f092925%2fcsimport%2fnp07_3_4_4.jpg
https://dub128.mail.live.com/Handlers/ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=8vcoo840j6s8yKNC9D7C5B7rkitucveIF3m54uubHSQ %3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fi5.cmail2.com%2fei%2fy%2f7D%2f8BC %2f4BE%2f092925%2fcsimport%2fnp07_3_4_4.jpg

https://eagles.cmail2.com/t/y-o-dydlhht-yudldhjkji/o.gif

sodascouts
09-28-2015, 07:39 PM
Well, it does deal with more than one Eagle but announcements from the band itself aren't really "press"... not sure where to put it!

WalshFan88
10-01-2015, 03:22 PM
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-henley-don-felder-bitter/

I really wish Don could have stuck to discussing his album instead of digging up this stuff. :(

UndertheWire
10-01-2015, 03:56 PM
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-henley-don-felder-bitter/

I really wish Don could have stuck to discussing his album instead of digging up this stuff. :(
It was only a small part of the original article (http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/oct/01/don-henley-theres-no-partying-no-alcohol-its-like-a-morgue-backstage), one conversation in a week of the journalist following him around.

shunlvswx
10-01-2015, 04:23 PM
I read that whole article where part of this article came from. I kinda laughed because I was like, Tell us how you really feel about DonF, Don.

Of course the journalist would bring that up. I don't know why he brought that up. Don usually doesn't talk about that and all the interviews he has done, nobody has brought up the firing of DonF. So I was very surprise to see that in the article.

I'm sorry to say DonF talks bad about Don and Glen in almost every article he does. He say something good about them one minute. Then turn around and say something bad about them.

I know Don will be hated for this. Its going to be interesting what DonF will say about this. His opinion about that little paragraph about him will probably come out very soon.

Funk 50
10-01-2015, 05:33 PM
BBC Radio 2 DJ Simon Mayo, interviewed Don this week;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p033wyjs.

Simon expressed his disappointment that the Eagles didn't perform The Last Resort on The History Of The Eagles tour. Don pinned the blame squarely on Glenn.

It's been 25 years since Don declared I Will Not Go Quietly , I'm sure he's said, in a recent interview, that he's learnt to keep his mouth shut. :???:

WalshFan88
10-01-2015, 05:42 PM
It was only a small part of the original article (http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/oct/01/don-henley-theres-no-partying-no-alcohol-its-like-a-morgue-backstage), one conversation in a week of the journalist following him around.

Interesting article. Especially the ending part about if Don were to write a book.

I have to say though that I really read rock autobios for those juicy little tidbits, so I'm fine with "nasty tell alls". They don't have to be hurtful, but just a true account of what happened and the bits about the partying. ;) No one wants to read a rock autobio without hearing about what happened back then. Otherwise it's a boring read "I was born in a shack in the bowels of Southern Missouri, I toured the country, and I became a famous rockstar...the end"... I'll take a "nasty tell all", anyday, over a boring memoir. Perhaps they don't want their kids to read it, they are ashamed of it, or they are too private as old men. But plenty of other aging rockstars have told about what went on, and I applaud them for that.

In other words, books like Motley Crue's "The Dirt" appeal way more to me than something like "Waging Heavy Peace". I want the dirty details. ;)

Freypower
10-01-2015, 06:56 PM
Interesting article. Especially the ending part about if Don were to write a book.

I have to say though that I really read rock autobios for those juicy little tidbits, so I'm fine with "nasty tell alls". They don't have to be hurtful, but just a true account of what happened and the bits about the partying. ;) No one wants to read a rock autobio without hearing about what happened back then. Otherwise it's a boring read "I was born in a shack in the bowels of Southern Missouri, I toured the country, and I became a famous rockstar...the end"... I'll take a "nasty tell all", anyday, over a boring memoir. Perhaps they don't want their kids to read it, they are ashamed of it, or they are too private as old men. But plenty of other aging rockstars have told about what went on, and I applaud them for that.

In other words, books like Motley Crue's "The Dirt" appeal way more to me than something like "Waging Heavy Peace". I want the dirty details. ;)

I see where you are coming from but Felder's book was just that - a nasty tell all with the emphasis on nasty. As such, in my view it has no value. It was written to settle scores.

And regarding your earlier post where you wished Don H. had stuck to discussing his album instead of digging up this stuff, that is precisely what I wished Don F. had done when Road To Forever was released. So after all that, Henley is supposed to say nothing at all? Sorry.... no.

UndertheWire
10-02-2015, 05:46 AM
I do wonder if there's an agreement to not talk about Felder in press for the Eagles but the restriction doesn't apply to solo promotions. It's not just Henley as Joe also said something mildly negative in a radio interview last week. (Joe said that Felder was portrayed negatively in the doc because that's how he was).

What I find funny/disturbing is the response in comments. If Felder says anything negative about Henley and Frey, that proves H&F are jerks. Then if Henley or Frey says anything negative about Felder, then that proves H&F are jerks.

Funk 50
10-02-2015, 06:23 AM
I raised an eyebrow when Don mentioned Engelbert Humperdinck as one of the artists he used to hear on the radio when he was growing up.

Turns out it wasn't as random as it first appeared. Engelbert has two Eagles covers on his new country album;

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2015/10/engelbert-humperdinck-country-album.html

NightMistBlue
10-02-2015, 11:57 AM
The Guardian article makes it sound like a sure thing that Don H. will write his autobiography, or am I interpreting it wrong?

AlreadyGone95
10-02-2015, 12:25 PM
I took it to mean that when/if Don writes it, don't expect him to divulge alot of personal information. It won't be a "tell all".

NightMistBlue
10-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Comedians Bill Hader and Fred Armisen have done a satirical documentary inspired by HOTE. And guess what, Irving Azoff has a cameo in it! I guess he really has mellowed, like Henley says.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-blue-jean-committee-20150924-story.html

The inspiration for "Gentle & Soft: The Story of the Blue Jean Committee," the two-part season finale of the IFC comedy series "Documentary Now!," arrived during a viewing of "History of the Eagles."

Notably striking, said "Documentary Now!" costar and co-executive producer Bill Hader, was the disconnect between the peaceful, easy music created by the Southern California rock band of "Hotel California" fame and the often gruff personalities behind it.

"The idea of real alpha males playing very soft rock made us laugh," said Hader, citing one particular scene in Alison Ellwood's 2013 Eagles documentary: "Glenn Frey getting angry at Randy Meisner for not hitting a high note in 'Take It to the Limit' and threatening him. That was very funny to us, and you see that a lot, you know?"

The clip with Azoff is on the IFC web site; scroll down to "Becoming Californian" https://plus.google.com/u/0/+IFC/posts

LuvTim
10-02-2015, 10:57 PM
Comedians Bill Hader and Fred Armisen have done a satirical documentary inspired by HOTE. And guess what, Irving Azoff has a cameo in it! I guess he really has mellowed, like Henley says.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-blue-jean-committee-20150924-story.html

The inspiration for "Gentle & Soft: The Story of the Blue Jean Committee," the two-part season finale of the IFC comedy series "Documentary Now!," arrived during a viewing of "History of the Eagles."

Notably striking, said "Documentary Now!" costar and co-executive producer Bill Hader, was the disconnect between the peaceful, easy music created by the Southern California rock band of "Hotel California" fame and the often gruff personalities behind it.

"The idea of real alpha males playing very soft rock made us laugh," said Hader, citing one particular scene in Alison Ellwood's 2013 Eagles documentary: "Glenn Frey getting angry at Randy Meisner for not hitting a high note in 'Take It to the Limit' and threatening him. That was very funny to us, and you see that a lot, you know?"

The clip with Azoff is on the IFC web site; scroll down to "Becoming Californian" https://plus.google.com/u/0/+IFC/posts

So painful to watch and yet so darn funny. Falsetto man can't get no respect at all. :fingerwag: That's so wrong.:weep::wink:

AlreadyGone95
10-03-2015, 03:25 AM

I love Bill Hader (aka Lindsey Buckingham on What Up With That om SNL). It sucks that I don't get IFC. Just from the short clip with Irving, I know that I'd love this.

"They went bonkers and firebombed my apartment and nearly killed me and the girl I was banging" :rofl:

And Bill with that hair (both the long and the short hair) :rofl:

Funk 50
10-03-2015, 05:12 AM

Didn't happen did it. Glenn was angry because Randy said he was too sick to sing the song and didn't want to do it. Take It To The Limit was the highlight of an Eagles show. Too much pressure for Randy.

NightMistBlue
10-03-2015, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I balked a little at Hader's interpretation of that event - he and Armisen must lack empathy, I thought - but of course I'm not a comedian so that's not my perspective. They're not going for historical accuracy, they're exaggerating things and making them ridiculous to create an amusing scenario. And I'll probably really enjoy this film! I'm a Zeppelin fan who enjoyed Spinal Tap. :drummer:

I also get slightly riled when people (and Rolling Stone magazine) label Eagles music "soft rock." It's inaccurate and I believe it's meant as an insult.

But again, Hader and Armisen were probably just eager to wear droopy mustaches, long-haired wigs and funky 70s outfits to explore all kinds of fun music documentary cliches.

Jonny Come Lately
10-03-2015, 02:45 PM
I agree with you there NMB. I once read a comment on another forum which basically said 'it's easy to label music you don't like as soft rock' and I think this is true. I would say it works as a label for pleasant straightforward love songs which are nice to listen to but where the lyrics are not really that important - I don't mean to say this as an insult in the slightest but I think that some (but not all) of Christine McVie's Fleetwood Mac tunes are soft rock. I personally consider most Eagles songs to be either country-rock or classic rock, although in the early days there were a couple of bluegrass numbers too and other songs bore hallmarks of other genres (R&B on One Of These Nights and out-and-out hard rock on Out Of Control, for instance), there's only a few that I'd truly consider to be soft rock from their catalogue (I Wish You Peace is the one that most stands out to me in this regard).

I have sometimes used the term soft rock myself, but I'm not a great fan of it and would happily use another term if there was a decent one out there. I suppose there is AOR although I dislike it as a term because I don't think it is a very good description of any actual sound. I don't really like vague, non-descriptive labels like 'Britpop' either for the same reason.

Spinal Tap and Led Zeppelin is quite a good comparison I think as I find people who aren't into that kind of music tend to see Zeppelin as the kings of excess and pomposity in rock and roll and therefore view them as the chief inspiration for Spinal Tap, when in actual fact it probably works better as the parody of bands who wanted to be Led Zeppelin but whose music and performances were overblown and ridiculous. I think the same could be applied to bands who wanted to be the Eagles but who were too soft and too lyrical insubstantial to match them.

10-03-2015, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the heads up on this, NMB. It'd be fun to watch, but I don't get IFC either. And I agree about all these classifications of music. I think the 'soft rock' title doesn't fit the Eagles either. I guess the negative connotation of the term derived from those who believe that the only legitimate form of rock music is the heavy metal head-banding stuff. Personally, I don't believe you can really put any label on the Eagles because they experimented in so many different types of music.

Funk 50
10-14-2015, 02:14 PM
Here' an interview with Irving on the Callaway Live show. A golfing chat show, I presume.

Irving was his usual engaging self, sharing a couple of great Walsh and Henley anecdotes.

Irving makes his entrance in the 5th to 6th minute.

http://cmp.callawaygolf.com/callawaylive/

UndertheWire
10-30-2015, 10:05 AM
Gibson guitars have a blog on the Eagles (though I think Austin could have done a more comprehensive job!)

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/How-Gibson-Guitars-Helped-the-Eagles-to-the-Top.aspx

sodascouts
10-31-2015, 08:03 PM
It was interesting nonetheless. Thanks, UTW.

11-01-2015, 12:26 PM
Yep - I enjoyed reading that. It didn't go totally over my head like many guitar discussions often do. :wink:

UndertheWire
11-03-2015, 10:50 AM
Eagles made the cover of the Rolling Stone again in Oktober - in Germany!
http://www.rollingstone.de/rolling-stone-im-oktober-2015-titelthema-eagles-845603/

Also a 7-page spread in the November Classic Rock

The magazines seem to be using Cass County as an excuse for writing about 70s Eagles.

NightMistBlue
11-03-2015, 03:13 PM
I'm assuming "koks" is the German for drugs but I really don't want to Google that word, at least not at work :)

Funk 50
11-10-2015, 09:11 AM
Irving is getting a corporate pat on the back next February;

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2015/11/clive-davis-and-recording-industry-to.html

UndertheWire
11-13-2015, 07:02 AM
This is old stuff from a steel guitar message board. If you scroll down, there's a post from someone who played with Don Henley, knew Glenn and JD, etc back in the day.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=154031&sid=6f42774d6dfe6f4990d08b832a07d294

sodascouts
11-15-2015, 09:53 PM
Thanks for linking to that. Interesting read! I want to C&P it over to here in case that board goes away but I'm afraid that isn't kosher. Boo!

However, some comments, assuming Herb Steiner's recollections are accurate:

I didn't realize that Linda Ronstadt's backing band, where Glenn and Don met, was called the "Corvettes" and also contained Richard and Michael Bowden.

He says Shiloh had a top 10 record in Bakersfield! I wonder what it was? "A Simple Little Down Home Rock'n'Roll Love Song for Rosie"? It's like Buckingham Nicks having a hit album in Birmingham and nowhere else. Interesting!

UndertheWire
11-20-2015, 02:50 PM
Here's an interview with JD Souther from 2009.
http://www.acousticstorm.com/artists/interview/96

ACOUSTIC STORM: What was the inspiration for “Best of My Love?”

J.D. SOUTHER: Glenn found the tune; the tune I think came from a Fred Neil record. I don’t know who wrote the first lines; we wrote it in London. We were working on that album ("On the Border") and came to London. The three of us were writing it and were on deadline to get it finished. I don’t know where we got the inspiration. I can rarely tell you where I get inspiration. I’ve been making music since I was 9. When I’m writing music it’s something that’s swirling around in my head or happens to live on scraps of paper or a score paper that’s sitting on my piano. Sometimes it’s something new. Sometimes it’s something that triggers an investigative search into something that’s a little bit old. There’s something on this new album that actually started in 1972. That’s a long non-answer. I have no idea where the inspiration for that song came from.

A.S.: You have written songs with Don Henley and Glenn Frey. How does the dynamic change when three songwriters are working together, as opposed to a solo effort?

JDS: Usually all three of us are writing all lyrics and music. "New Kid in Town" is probably a bit different because I had the chorus done for almost a year before I showed it to Glenn and Don. I don’t know that we had the first line, but I think we had the bridge changed. Glenn was a real proponent and great student of Motown Records and the Philadelphia sound – Gamble and Huff records. So Glenn always had the beat. So, that was mine and Don and Glenn and I sat up a lot of nights and banged on the lyrics. They were at Criteria Studios in Florida and they called me up and said there were still a few holes in the lyrics. So I came down and we finished that and “Victim Of Love.” It’s always a joint effort. I can’t speak for them, but as much music as I had in my background, it was mostly jazz and orchestral music. I wasn’t exposed to country music until I was almost grown. I’m a much better song writer today for having written with Glenn and Don, Jackson Browne and Warren Zevon. That group of people in southern California in the early ‘70s—we were working as hard as we could to become good writers.

A.S.: Where do you get your inspiration for song writing?

JDS: (Writing as a team) speeds things up a lot. When you’re writing with good writers like Jackson or Warren Zevon or Don and Glenn you’re so critical of each other that you don’t let anything pass that doesn’t feel like it’s A+. I like writing in a group. I don’t do it very often, there aren’t many groups I feel comfortable with. But with that bunch of guys, and that song that James Taylor and Waddy Wachtel and I wrote -- there have been a few others. It’s pretty rare that we’re bringing out the best in each other. We were all trying very hard to impress each other in a way, like young guys do.

A.S.: Since you had a songwriting relationship with Frey and Henley early in your career, did you ever have a chance to join the Eagles?

JDS: Yeah, I had a moment. I think I was in the band for one day. David Geffen thought it that would be “four songwriters, good; five songwriters better.” So we put together a set and played it at the Troubadour in the afternoon for the management team. I just remember them looking down the front line and seeing four of us bashing away at stringed instruments. And, to be frank, they didn’t need me. They were a perfectly well-rounded, self-contained band. I figured we were going to keep writing together anyway, so I think we all got the best of that situation, the best possible outcome. Frankly, when I said, “No, I don’t think I really want to be in the band,” I’ve never seen four guys more relieved. I think they were more delighted than I was.

AlreadyGone95
11-27-2015, 01:01 PM
This isn't news to most of us, but it looks like the musical thing is likely to happen.
http://www.contactmusic.com/don-henley/news/eagles-confirm-musical-plans_5045110

Brooke
11-30-2015, 12:23 PM
Can't say I'm excited about it, but it sounds like they're gonna do it!

Topkat
11-30-2015, 02:13 PM
Well with Don working on it, will probably be another 2 more years till it suits him..lol

EasilyTaken
11-30-2015, 02:30 PM
If Henley says it's true, then...guess we can all believe it now.

AlreadyGone95
11-30-2015, 03:53 PM
I'm not thrilled about them doing it, either. Musicals aren't really my thing. I'd much prefer new music.

UndertheWire
12-03-2015, 06:15 AM
I've just read an excellent interview with Charlie Brusco who manages Don Felder, amongst others including Styx. There's a paragraph on the Eagles HFO ticket prices which is my justification for putting it here, but mostly it's just a really good explantion about how the music business works for classic rock acts and the economics of touring vs recording.

http://www.examiner.com/article/inside-the-music-industry-with-red-light-management-s-charlie-brusco

12-03-2015, 12:34 PM
Thanks UTW - this looks like a really interesting article, even though it's pretty long. I don't have time now, but I'm anxious to read it when I get a few minutes.

Brooke
12-03-2015, 03:07 PM
UtW, thanks for that! It was very long, but very interesting! Explains a lot about how it all works!

UndertheWire
12-09-2015, 06:36 PM
It's time for another Forbes list: #5 in "Worlds Highest Paid Musicians in 2015":

5. The Eagles ($73.5 million) The classic rock band hasn’t had a No. 1 single in years, but The Eagles are still alive and well on the road. The 57 shows they played in our scoring period as part of the History of the Eagles tour helped them edge younger names like Justin Timberlake and Lady Gaga.
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eeel45fgdkh/5-the-eagles-735-mil/

sodascouts
12-09-2015, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I think I did my part in contributing to the profits of two of the bands on that list, lol. They deserve it, though!

AlreadyGone95
12-09-2015, 08:16 PM
Go guys! :applause:

NightMistBlue
12-17-2015, 11:28 AM
This isn't really "the press" but remember some time back when comedians Fred Armisen and Bill Hader did a mockumentary on a 70s California band that was inspired by History of the Eagles? Armisen recently performed a song (as his character from the Blue Jeans Committee, the faux band) with America. There's a clip on America's Facebook page; I don't know how to insert a direct link but the video is in the December 14th post. https://www.facebook.com/Americaband/?fref=nf

So cute, "We haven't seen Gene since the animal rights concert in California" - that's the scene that is a blatant send-up of the Felder/Frey showdown in Long Beach.

UndertheWire
12-18-2015, 04:17 PM
I'm trawling through the press thread and found that everyone was despondent in 2010 because of a quote from Henley. The link's dead.
Don is certainly making this tour sound like the end of the road in this interview :cry:

http://www.vancouversun.com/Eagles+final+flight/3000722/story.html

“I had hoped that we could go for two more years and reach the 40-year milestone,” singer-songwriter Don Henley told The Vancouver Sun in an exclusive interview. “But it’s looking more and more like the end of the trail is imminent.”
I feel like dropping into the conversation of that time to reassure you that there's at least another 5 years and a major tour to look forward to!

Dreamer used history to reassure:

I remember that back in 2005, there were several similar statements made by both Glenn and Don that lead many of us fans to seriously believe that they were going to call it quits at that time. And just look what's happened since then. Obviously, they aren't going to be around very much longer, but, I'm really hoping that they will make it to 40 years and will go out with a bang! :thumbsup:

12-19-2015, 06:44 PM
Well - interesting that you dug that up, UTW. Looks like from the dates, the guys are on a five year cycle when they start talking about 'the end'. :shrug:

Now, of course, I know the band won't go on forever, but this is exactly why I still hold out hope that we haven't seen 'the end' yet. Back in 2005, I was pretty convinced that they may be done and that's why I decided to go to one last show out in Sacramento, CA. If I hadn't gone to that show, it's a good chance that Soda and I would have never met so thank goodness for the incentive. Then, they spent the next 5 years recording and touring for Long Road Out of Eden. Of course, the next 5 years after that were focused on another little project, History of the Eagles, even though I was just hoping to get through the 40th anniversary. I don't know what they have planned next, but I'm definitely hoping for more. I stand by what I said in 2010 - I'm really hoping that when they reach 'the end' that they go out with a bang this time, not a whimper.

The band will likely regroup after the first of the year to ponder their future as they normally do. So in the meanwhile, I guess we all will just be sitting tight anxiously awaiting for some word about what's next. :pace::pace::pace:

UndertheWire
12-20-2015, 06:31 PM
I bet if this board had been running at the time, they'd have been similar discussions in 1996 and 2000, so the 5-year rule almost holds true. Here's to 2020!

Jonny Come Lately
12-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Come to think of it, weren't the first suggestions of a possible Eagles comeback (before it actually happened) around 1990? If you wish to count that, it would extend the sequence quite neatly.

sodascouts
12-23-2015, 05:19 PM
You're right, there were!

Today, my sister asked me, "So, what concerts are you going to this year?"

I was forced to say, "None are on the horizon. All my bands and singers are taking breaks." It made me sad, but I do feel they aren't quite done yet.

12-24-2015, 03:04 PM
Those are sad words to have to say right here during the holiday season, Soda. :wink: :grin: I'm with 'ya though - got my fingers and toes crossed for some happy news out of the Eagles camp by springtime. :pray: :pray: :pray:

sodascouts
12-24-2015, 05:28 PM
Guess what - I just saw that Don Felder announced some dates! I may not be able to go to any of them, but at least our Pre-Concert Anticipation forum is back in action.

UndertheWire
12-27-2015, 08:31 PM
I don't remember reading this before, even though it's from nearly two years ago. It's a blog on why "the" is attached to some band names and not others.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/why-some-band-names-take-the-and-others-dont

12-27-2015, 08:53 PM
I don't remember ever reading that blog, so I got a giggle out of it. Golly gee, that girl's even more anal than me about grammar. :wink: :grin:

sodascouts
12-28-2015, 01:28 AM
I chuckled, too. Thanks for the link!

MaryCalifornia
12-28-2015, 01:34 AM
Eagles get a mention from Mick Mars in this good article about Motley Crue's final tour :hilarious:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-ca-ms-motley-crue-20150809-story.html

bluefeather
12-30-2015, 05:05 PM
Mötley Crue and Eagles?:hilarious:

not exactly a nice comment about them hating each other all the time:x

12-30-2015, 11:03 PM
Yeah I guess that was Mick's lame attempt at humor. If he thinks the band members hated each other all the time, I guess he didn't get a chance to watch the HotE documentary so he could see the love between the band members. :grouphug: :grin:

AlreadyGone95
01-07-2016, 02:22 PM
Don't know if this quiz has been posted before or not. I scored 95. I missed the question about the first UK top 20 song because I didn't see the "UK" part in the question.
http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/eagles_quiz

sad-cafe
01-24-2016, 07:43 PM
:weep:
You're right, there were!

Today, my sister asked me, "So, what concerts are you going to this year?"

I was forced to say, "None are on the horizon. All my bands and singers are taking breaks." It made me sad, but I do feel they aren't quite done yet.

:weep::weep:

UndertheWire
01-26-2016, 01:20 PM
A new Rolling Stone article on sales of "Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975". This week it's at #11 in the Billboard 200.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/how-the-eagles-greatest-hits-invented-a-new-kind-of-blockbuster-20160120

Also Billboard writes about them as a touring band:
http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6858138/the-eagles-legacy-billion-dollar-touring-band-history

shunlvswx
02-01-2016, 05:58 PM
Here's a nice article. The A to Z of the Eagles.

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/The-Eagles-A-to-Z-804.aspx

Outlawman13
02-01-2016, 11:17 PM
Pretty cool info in that article! Thank you for sharing

OutlawManNJ
02-06-2016, 09:38 PM
I was reading this somewhat disturbing article about a teen groupie in the 70s that lost her virginity at 15 to David Bowie and then dated Jimmy Page at the same age https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/i-lost-my-virginity-to-david-bowie

Which led me to another article which mentions Don Henleys 1980 arrest for delinquincy of a minor (16). I guess the not so pleseant side of rock stars.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/01/17/david-bowie-and-rock-n-roll-s-statutory-rape-problem.html

02-08-2016, 03:19 PM
Here's a nice article. The A to Z of the Eagles.

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/The-Eagles-A-to-Z-804.aspx

Thanks for that link, shun. I just now got around to reading this. I noticed it was written by Andrew Vaughan, the author of two Eagles books: 1.) The Eagles - An American Band and 2.) The Eagles FAQs. This article is okay, but pretty much a rehash of the same ole, same ole, just spinned in an A - Z format. However, I have to say, it is criminal that there is not one single mention of Timothy, IMHO. That stood out like a huge sore thumb to me. And then, I scrolled down to read the comment and was reassured that I was not alone! :thumbsdown:

LuvTim
02-08-2016, 04:16 PM
Thanks for that link, shun. I just now got around to reading this. I noticed it was written by Andrew Vaughan, the author of two Eagles books: 1.) The Eagles - An American Band and 2.) The Eagles FAQs. This article is okay, but pretty much a rehash of the same ole, same ole, just spinned in an A - Z format. However, I have to say, it is criminal that there is not one single mention of Timothy, IMHO. That stood out like a huge sore thumb to me. And then, I scrolled down to read the comment and was reassured that I was not alone! :thumbsdown:

No, dreamer, you're not alone at all. I actually read the whole thing and looked it over again, incredulous that Ringo Starr is in the Eagles A-Z, but Timothy B. Schmit, not there at all. This bothers me. How does this happen?

UndertheWire
02-13-2016, 09:47 AM
This article starts with the announcement of the tribute to Glenn Frey at the Troubadour, but soon turns into a great pro-Eagles rant.
http://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/02/10/nas-sig-keelglennfrey--/80070936/

Like many music lovers, I was saddened by the media reports of Frey’s death, but soon I grew angry at the negativity in some of the coverage, most notably The New York Daily News' Gersh Kuntzman, who wrote on the day after Frey’s death, “No disrespect to Glenn Frey — whose death this week is a cause for genuine mourning — but the Eagles were, quite simply, the worst rock and roll band.”

Let me just say to Kuntzman, I mean plenty of disrespect when I say you are an insensitive, elitist jerk who clearly remains out of touch with what the Eagles’ music means to most of America.

The Eagles are America’s band; they always have been and they always will be. Their harmonies and musical abilities are beyond reproach. Indeed, every time I hear them, I am reminded of just how good they are.

Of course, this isn’t just my opinion. The proof is in the numbers: "The Eagles, Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975" was recognized as the top-selling album of the century by the Recording Industry Association of America and they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998. But it goes far beyond sales and awards.

What some critics never got is that the Eagles were the band to whom many Americans most related. While I love the songwriting, artistry and music of the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and David Bowie, for instance, I couldn’t always relate to their perspectives or the lives they were leading. The Eagles seemed like normal guys who dressed like their audiences, and, as Henley noted in the recent Eagles documentary, they were even accused of loitering onstage. There was no strutting like proud shirtless peacocks for the Eagles; it was all about the music.

The Eagles have been the living embodiment of the American dream. Not only did they look like us, but they shared our common histories, dreams, touchstones and sensibilities. Their songs have nuance and multi-layered meanings that fans continued to discover as their lives unfold and new experiences lead to fresh interpretations of a lyric.

I can’t remember a time when I didn’t love the Eagles. When I was younger, the first thing my sister and I listened to in the morning was the Eagles’ vinyl album, which was also the last music we enjoyed at night. Then, later, I listened to them on CDs while driving. Now, I enjoy their music on my iPhone, and rest assured, I will acquire their music on whatever technology appears next. My memories and their music are so intertwined that I can no longer detect where each begin and end.
The rest of the article is about the tribute tonight.

buffyfan145
02-13-2016, 11:27 AM
That's great the writer wrote that. That's exactly how I feel too. Their music is so intertwined with my memories, especially my childhood, that it just feels like a part of my life and family.

Outlawman13
02-13-2016, 12:02 PM
That article is how I feel as well!! They have been one of my favvie bands for a long time!! My family got me into loving The Eagles!

AlreadyGone95
02-13-2016, 12:54 PM
Like Glenn said, "People didn't just listen to the Eagles. They did things to the Eagles".

That article sums it up very nicely. The lack of coverage by the big media entities is inexcusable, but I prefer to look at the tributes from fans, fellow musicians, and friends. They're the ones whose words really matter, imo.

02-13-2016, 06:05 PM
Thanks for posting that Tennessean article, UTW. Now that's a writer who really understands the psyche of a true music lover. I really enjoyed reading an article written by someone who 'gets' it!

Freypower
02-13-2016, 07:00 PM
I would have preferred it if it had actually said something about Glenn himself.

DivineDon
02-16-2016, 03:39 PM
I just read that Vince Gill is working on a project with Joe - cool. He writes in Rolling Stone Country that the Eagles had more influence on today's country stars than the likes of George Jones, Hank Williams etc which I found interesting though I don't entirely agree. I don't like today's country music.

But I love Vince so I'm glad he and Joe are teaming up. :headbang:

Brooke
02-16-2016, 03:44 PM
I just put this in the Grammy thread, but thought it should go here too:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/grammys-2016-king-kendrick-lamar-steals-the-show-20160216

"The Eagles paid a very unsentimental deadpan tribute to Glenn Frey with "Take It Easy" with Jackson Browne, though nobody can step to Joe Walsh, who might be the Grammys' favorite person. (Who can forget him jamming with Paul McCartney to Side Two of Abbey Road in 2012?)"

Did they see their faces as they performed? :scowl:

buffyfan145
02-16-2016, 05:12 PM
That's awesome about Joe and Vince!!! :D I actually agree with Vince but it's certain artists not all. Country music has now split into about 5 subgenres of pop, rock, hip-hop, traditional, and alternative, but it's the ones in rock country where I hear it the most. Groups like Little Big Town, Lady Antebellum, Old Dominion, The Brothers Osbourne, Parmalee, and even soloists like Ketih Urban, Brad Paisley, and David Nail all use the harmonies in their songs and some have that Eagle style sound imo merging country and rock. Of course I'm a fan of them too so maybe I'm hearing it but I've even seen in their album "thank you" sections them crediting the Eagles as influences.

Jonny Come Lately
02-16-2016, 05:38 PM
Also, thanks for posting that article, UtW - really enjoyed reading that, and I agree with most of the main points the author made, although I'd add that you don't need to be American to relate to the Eagles. I absolutely love the Desperado album, even though I'd never heard of the Doolin-Dalton gang before listening to the album.

Buffyfan, I'm quite intrigued by your points about the different subgenres of country music that can be heard nowadays. There have been a couple of times when I've been in the car with my parents and an old country song has come on the radio (typically slow, melancholic songs with prominent use of pedal steel, possibly in 3/4 time) and usually my Mum will say how that was what all country music sounded like in the old days. On Cass County I think there are definitely a few songs that sound quite a lot like traditional country - although it's a cover, Bramble Rose is the first song that really springs to my mind - and this does make me wonder to what extent rock, pop and alternative country influenced the album (can't see Don embracing hip hop country, somehow!) as I'm not really sure where the boundaries lie between these subgenres. I'd be genuinely interested to hear what people who know country a lot better than I do make of this, I don't know the genre anywhere near as well as I do rock.

shunlvswx
02-16-2016, 05:45 PM
That's cool. I'm a huge fan of Vince's music. Put two of the greatest guitar players from two genres together, it will be so amazing. I can't wait to hear this down the road.

buffyfan145
02-16-2016, 08:49 PM
JCL, yeah today's country really has split. I'm not sure when it started as country always tended since the 90s to mirror whatever was going on with popular music. However now a lot of songs are considered country if they even add a banjo, mandolin, and/or steel guitar. LOL The main country stations now play mostly a mix of pop & rock country as traditional is hardly played at all unless it's one of the major artists releasing a song in that style. This has caused a lot of upset as some really great artists won't get played on most country stations anymore. Chris Stapleton is starting to change this by going back to traditional being popular. As for hip-hop some country artists do mix in rap now, but even I got into some rap music when I was a teenager and these artists are my age and younger adding it in. Alt-country even includes bands like Mumford and Sons and Alabama Shakes since they're mostly alternative rock bands but use a country sound at times.

As for Don's latest solo album my local country station wouldn't play it since it was traditional country, but all the XM stations did.

MaryCalifornia
02-17-2016, 11:44 AM
Well this is interesting, the title is "Glenn Frey and the Secret Jewish History of the Eagles"

"Seth Rogovoy writes about the hidden affinities between pop culture icons and Jewish themes for the Forward."

http://forward.com/culture/music/330650/glenn-frey-and-the-secret-jewish-history-of-the-eagles/

????????? :laugh: I'll just say I'm glad that someone took the time to analyze Eagles songs like this.

LuvTim
02-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Well this is interesting, the title is "Glenn Frey and the Secret Jewish History of the Eagles"

"Seth Rogovoy writes about the hidden affinities between pop culture icons and Jewish themes for the Forward."

http://forward.com/culture/music/330650/glenn-frey-and-the-secret-jewish-history-of-the-eagles/

????????? :laugh: I'll just say I'm glad that someone took the time to analyze Eagles songs like this.

MC, I ran across this article, or one very similar, on another site, I believe, shortly after Glenn's death. I agree, very interesting. Reading this was a revelation. It's amazing how people can think up these connections to... whatever. It reminds me, of course, of the insistence, in some quarters, of the supposed Satanism connection to the Hotel California concept. Somewhere in this wide world, an able academic should compose a curriculum in which we explore themes of common personal projections on music and musicians, and how we find personal meaning in cultural offerings. (I'm sure they will articulate the topics or themes much better than I. But perhaps you'll still understand where I'm going with this.) I'd take that class. :-)

shunlvswx
02-17-2016, 05:30 PM
I just saw this article from Classic Rock History.com facebook page popped up on my newsfeed.

Its interested of what they said is their top 10 favorite songs by the guys.

http://www.classicrockhistory.com/top-10-eagles-songs/

Freypower
02-17-2016, 05:43 PM
I just saw this article from Classic Rock History.com facebook page popped up on my newsfeed.

Teenage Jail?

And The Long Run, which I am pretty much alone on this board in disliking.

'Lovable infectiousness' of Lyin' Eyes. Please.

As for the 'Jewish' article that sounds like a parody. I don't know why Glenn's name is used given that he is barely mentioned in it.

I'm still waiting for some intelligent revision of the band's & especially Glenn's music.

sodascouts
02-18-2016, 11:59 PM
I'd love to teach a course analyzing Eagles music! Sadly, I don't think it would go over too well at the college. However, I do insert the Eagles into my classes often. In my business writing class, I wrote a sample "scope of work" memo. For the content, I framed it as the Eagles writing a memo to Walmart regarding the scope of work and timetable for the recording of Long Road Out of Eden. I had written the sample memo before Glenn died. It was a little hard to pass it out and use it as a sample, honestly, but I do so anyway.

But I digress! It really is crazy what people can read into songs if they try hard enough.

UndertheWire
02-19-2016, 12:12 PM
Jack Tempchin has given a new interview where he talks about songwriting. Most of it is familar, but it's nice to read the good stuff again. I'm posting this extract because it's such a contrast to a lot of the comments we see about the band.

It’s not a bad way to make a living, especially when one has mailbox money coming in from many (many) millions of Eagles albums. Tempchin resists stating a number when asked how much those two covers made him. “I earned enough to have a good living,” he does say. “Probably not as much as a doctor or lawyer. But great for me. I didn’t buy a yacht. I don’t need fancy cars.

“And because The Eagles and particularly my friend Glenn Frey are some of the few guys that I’ve met in life that are stand-up guys, I never had any trouble getting paid or getting credited for anything.” he adds. “They were just fantastic about that. Unlike a lot of the stories in the music business. They enabled me to just write songs my whole life and not to have other jobs.”http://bestclassicbands.com/glenn-frey-collaborator-jack-tempchin-talks-songwriting-2-19-16/

NightMistBlue
02-19-2016, 01:10 PM
I'm still waiting for some intelligent revision of the band's & especially Glenn's music.

I fear we'll be waiting a long time, unless Soda writes the book.

sodascouts
02-19-2016, 09:59 PM
Talk about a dream job! Maybe I will someday. I know more about the Eagles than that guy just from reading copious interviews.

Jonny Come Lately
02-20-2016, 05:54 AM

The Classic Rock History list isn't bad, but it is a bit perplexing. I love The Long Run album, and really like Teenage Jail, but there's no way I'd agree with it being the seventh best (!) Eagles song of all time. I'd actually agree with most of their comments about Jail having a cool, unique sound, but I felt their praise would have been better reserved for Those Shoes, which I think is a better song and has harmonised talk box guitars - how much more unique can you get?

I love the title track from The Long Run too (apart from anything else, I think all of the Eagles shine on it), but I disagree that it sounds 'carefree' - part of what I love about it is the confidence and swagger of the song. This is different from sounding carefree, which I'd use to describe some of the lighter songs from the debut album (Nightingale and Earlybird).

I was delighted to see Doolin-Dalton, I song I adore, in the top three, but in this case I'm afraid the author's comments make me wonder if he's actually listened to the whole Desperado album - once again the Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise) is just casually written off, as if it is no more important the 50-second banjo instrumental between CKOF and Outlaw Man, when I personally feel it stands as one of their greatest songs.

Having said all this though, I'm reasonably happy with most of the list itself. It's especially nice to see PMAIAR get some recognition, and I wouldn't argue too much with most of the other choices I haven't mentioned. I thought their point about Take It Easy being unusual in being such a strong first release was good too, although I think it would still stand up when compared to bands who were also very good from the beginning (I'd suggest Lynyrd Skynyrd, but Boston could perhaps also be used) rather than Dylan or Bowie obscurities. Also, as someone who doesn't like Don't Stop Believin' much (sorry Journey fans!) I didn't mind their contrast of Desperado with that song.

Having looked through some of their 'Best songs', I noticed they also recently did a Neil Young Top 10 which I read to see how much I agreed with it - I'd say that was a good list on the whole apart from the classics such as After The Gold Rush and Thrasher there were a few other excellent inclusions (I absolutely love Unknown Legend from Harvest Moon) but also a couple I would not agree with - Motion Pictures is a pretty good song, but IMO definitely not better than Ambulance Blues from the same album (On The Beach).

The 'Secret Jewish History' article can perhaps be best described as... different. I doubt many of the things actually suggested actually would have even occurred to the Eagles at the time. funny thing is it I think it would have been interesting to do it with a band which has Jewish members, like KISS or Rush. On the plus side, at least it was original!

Momma Tee
02-21-2016, 08:19 PM
Great article!

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/features/2012-03-28/country-cowboys-and-cocaine-the-buyer-s-guide-to-the-eagles

02-21-2016, 11:56 PM
Thanks MT - I think I had seen that article before because I vaguely remember vehemently disagreeing with the writer's assessment of On the Border. He puts it in the "Avoid" category and I say WTF is he thinking? :shrug:

Elizasong
02-22-2016, 12:03 AM
Great article!

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/features/2012-03-28/country-cowboys-and-cocaine-the-buyer-s-guide-to-the-eagles

It's interesting how the albums are rated in this article. Since I've honestly never heard all of their albums except for Eden, Desporado and Greatest Hits, does the majority agree to avoid "On The Border"?

I'm surprised they included solo albums.

sodascouts
02-22-2016, 08:21 AM
On the Border isn't their strongest album but the Eagles have never put out any album one should avoid. Their level of skill means that even the "weakest" of their albums is better than the best of most bands. I don't even think OTB is the weakest, by the way.

Can an album which contains "Already Gone," "The Best of My Love," "James Dean," and "Ol'55" be an album to AVOID? No!

UndertheWire
02-22-2016, 09:00 AM
Odd list. The most surprising part is they don't consider Desperado to be essential and I'd say On the Border is at least as good as One of These Nights. Actually, I'd say that all Eagles studio albums are essential.

GlennLover
02-22-2016, 10:52 AM
I love OTB! Desperado is my favourite with OTB running a close second, so I certainly don't agree with the writer's assessment!

AlreadyGone95
02-22-2016, 12:04 PM
On the Border is pretty far down on my list of favorite Eagles albums, around 5th or 6th place. As a whole, I feel that it is missing something. It has a few more songs on it that I don't like as opposed to most of the other albums. That being said, all 7 Eagles albums are at least 4 out of 5 star quality for me, so it's still a great album. It's far from being on the avoid list.

Brooke
02-22-2016, 01:11 PM
It's interesting how the albums are rated in this article. Since I've honestly never heard all of their albums except for Eden, Desporado and Greatest Hits, does the majority agree to avoid "On The Border"?

OMG, never, EVER, avoid an Eagles album! lol All Eagles albums are must haves!

And I can't say it's my favorite, but some of the songs on it are right up there in my top ten! Already Gone and The Best of My Love among them!

Freypower
02-22-2016, 04:34 PM
Quite frankly OOTN would be my 'avoid' album as it has always been my least favourite. I don't love OTB as much as I used to but it contains Good Day In Hell & therefore should not be avoided. The Long Run has more filler than OTB.

Elizasong
02-22-2016, 05:23 PM
Thanks for clarifying everyone. Brooke, I will be listening to it regardless as I want to hear all Eagles songs that I am not familiar with. 8-)

buffyfan145
02-22-2016, 05:33 PM
I really like OTB and it's got a lot of songs on it that I love too like "Already Gone", "James Dean", "The Best of my Love", "Ol' 55", and now "Midnight Flyer". I played "Midnight Flyer" for my Mom as even she wasn't too familiar with it and we both personally love it now as it's one of the most bluegrass style songs I've heard them do. My family has a long line of bluegrass and country musicians in it and I do like it too, so I think that's another reason I like this album and "Desperado" too.

Jonny Come Lately
02-26-2016, 06:06 PM

I'm surprised they included solo albums.

My opinion as to whether you should avoid On The Border can be summarised in one word. NO! :hilarious:

On The Border is my third favourite Eagles album behind Hotel California and Desperado, and is in my Top 30 albums overall (out of a collection of about 80). I was listening to it just yesterday and listening to the opening of Already Gone dispelled any notion of it being an album to avoid. It has three songs that I consider to be in my Top 20 Eagles songs - the aforementioned Already Gone, My Man and Good Day In Hell. I really like all of the other songs, not a weak tune to be found IMO, and I love the musical approach. It has more of a rock feel than the debut album or Desperado, but there is still plenty of country flavour. I personally feel that none of the Eagles albums are anywhere near 'avoid' status, as I think they all contain at least 3-4 great songs. If I was ranking them honestly right now, I would probably put One Of These Nights last, but even when I think of that album it really is only a couple of songs that I don't rate very highly, and there's several songs I love on there. Out of the four bands where I have complete or near-complete sets of albums (the others being Floyd, Zeppelin and Dire Straits), the 'weakest' Eagles album is IMO the strongest compared to my least favourite records by the other three.

I'd also say that if you've only heard the hits from OTB, Already Gone is much more representative of the overall feel of the record than The Best Of My Love. I think BOML is the softest and most mellow song on the album, partly due to the production style - whereas even the most 'country' flavoured of the remaining songs like Midnight Flyer or My Man still have the guitars (or banjo or pedal steel if they are the lead instrument) and drums relatively loud in the mix, on BOML these are much more in the background supporting the vocals. Maybe that's just my perception, but I think there is a difference. I can totally get why they used Glyn Johns' production on the song, and the end result is beautiful, but it is also very apparent to me why they wanted to replace him as I think that just wasn't the sound they wanted for the rest of the album. Oddly, I don't think YNCLAL sounds particularly different from the Szymczyk-produced songs.

Of the solo albums mentioned, I can definitely recommend the excellent But Seriously, Folks - you get the classic Life's Been Good as well as several cool lesser known tracks which feature the other Eagles (Felder plays pedal steel on Second Hand Store and I think guitar on At The Station, while Don, Glenn and Tim provide harmony vocals elsewhere). I'd agree they probably shouldn't have listed the solo works with the Eagles albums though - they could have saved those for a separate article or two.

Elizasong
02-26-2016, 07:53 PM
Thanks for your detailed review JCL. I took OTB and OOTN out of the library and downloaded them to my Itunes and Iphone. I'm enjoying both of them and soon have my favorites. One song from OTB that I didn't know which album it was from when when i heard it I loved it was Ol' 55. I also like "You never Cry Like a Lover".

shunlvswx
03-14-2016, 10:10 PM
Here's a cool article where the guy talks about On the Border album.

http://johnrieber.com/2016/03/14/on-the-border-the-eagles-say-hello-to-don-felder-goodbye-to-glyn-johns-don-henleys-brilliant-1-best-of-my-love/

UndertheWire
04-11-2016, 03:23 PM
The Guardian creates a new chart of best-selling albums based on streaming.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2016/mar/31/the-bestselling-albums-of-all-time-reranked-by-streaming-stats?CMP=share_btn_link

I thi

NightMistBlue
04-11-2016, 03:43 PM
Here's a cool article where the guy talks about On the Border album.

http://johnrieber.com/2016/03/14/on-the-border-the-eagles-say-hello-to-don-felder-goodbye-to-glyn-johns-don-henleys-brilliant-1-best-of-my-love/

Thank you, I enjoyed that. Though I'm a little startled at his assertion that it was Szymczyk's suggestion to bring in another guitarist. I had the impression - maybe from HOTE - that it was very much Frey's idea.

AlreadyGone95
04-12-2016, 02:09 AM
The Guardian creates a new chart of best-selling albums based on streaming.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2016/mar/31/the-bestselling-albums-of-all-time-reranked-by-streaming-stats?CMP=share_btn_link

As a frequent Spotify user, I've contributed more than my share fair of streaming Hotel California and Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, the latter of which is my all time favorite album. I'm glad to see a mixture of artists in this list. It's not just the modern artists whose albums are neing streamed.

Jonny Come Lately
04-12-2016, 03:46 AM
Interesting all-time list. I don't use Spotify myself, so haven't contributed to my figures. I noticed the Eagles actually moved up five places (from 15th to 10th), whereas Rumours dropped three (from 8th to 11th). This actually slightly surprises me, because from my experience the Rumours-era Mac is very popular among young people. My sister does use Spotify, and I've heard her playing a few Mac songs (Dreams and Crystal in particular). Of the other albums in the top 10, my favourite is Led Zeppelin IV. I strongly disagree with the claim that The Dark Side of the Moon has fallen off the cultural radar, and that's not just because I'm a fan - although they have not toured for over 20 years, I think (partly thanks to the extensive reissues) a lot of new fans have been introduced to them since Spotify was launched in 2008, and they did have a 'new' release in 2014, albeit one that acts more as a coda to their previous work than a new chapter in the book. My possible suggestion for its fall is that Pink Floyd fans like to buy albums and are therefore less likely to stream.

I'll surprise no one by saying that I'm not quite so keen on the Spotify's top 20 streamed albums. Not exactly my cup of tea! :laugh: I predict that if this is repeated a decade from now, that list will change beyond recognition (to be blunt, several albums on the list seem to mainly appeal to teenage girls - the popularity of these acts tends to fade when their audience moves on as the next generation latches onto newer acts) whereas any changes in the all-time list are more likely to result from fluctuations in the popularity of the albums near the top. Adele's 21 is a phenomenon, as it not only does it top the list but it is the only album from the last decade to make the top 20. The only other albums on the list released in the last twenty decade are Celine Dion's Falling Into You (only just - it came out in 1996) and 1 by The Beatles, a compilation album. I'm not sure if there's anyone around right now who can challenge Adele's huge success, save for Adele herself.

Jonny Come Lately
04-19-2016, 04:03 PM
Apologies if this has been posted previously, but I managed to find this nice article today written by a guy called Tim Roxborogh for the NZ Herald. It was published the day after Glenn passed away.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/music/news/article.cfm?c_id=264&objectid=11576209

The article starts with a story about a friend of the author who got married wearing an Eagles T-shirt! However, this progresses onto discussion about the band and Glenn. He seems to know his stuff, as well as mentioning famous songs like One Of These Nights and Desperado he praises both Bitter Creek and Waiting In The Weeds. I also thought his take on the Henley/Frey vocal debate was balanced - while he did recall Glenn's comments about Don's voice from HOTE, he acknowledged how many of the songs people love that Glenn actually sung and praised his voice.

04-19-2016, 05:55 PM
Thanks for finding this, JCL. I don't remember reading this before. I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to also post this in Glenn's rememberance thread since it was written as a tribute to him.

UndertheWire
05-06-2016, 03:09 PM
A recent story on Boyd Elder with obligatory Eagles references: http://lonestarmusicmagazine.com/respect-boyd-elder-valentine-texas-greatest-hit/

sodascouts
05-09-2016, 10:36 AM
So BOYD ELDER is "El Chingadero"? Why the heck did the Eagles reference him in "Visions"? Maybe they just thought the nickname sounded cool. "Play on, El Chingadero" certainly doesn't sound like it's talking about a photographer.

UndertheWire
05-09-2016, 10:55 AM
I thought that was interesting. It may just have been a hidden credit for the guy who created the sculpture they used for the album cover, with no intention of insulting Don Felder.

GlennLover
05-09-2016, 02:36 PM
Interesting to learn that after all these years!

Brooke
05-09-2016, 03:01 PM
Cool news! Thanks UtW!

secret squirrel
05-18-2016, 12:03 PM
My new blog on Glenn Frey and the Eagles:

http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/eagles-glenn-frey-beyond-cool-band-for.html

Very sad still.

SS
xx

AlreadyGone95
05-19-2016, 02:46 AM
That's a very good blog, SS. Your points are spot on. I hate when people intentionally disrespect the recently deceased. Of all 7 members, Glenn just seemed to ooze out coolness the most. It still doesn't seem real sometimes.

chaim
05-19-2016, 05:50 AM
Even if "El Chingadero" is referring to Felder (I think it is), I don't see it as an insult. Quite the opposite. According to Felder the word is a bit like "m*****f*****" in English, which isn't always a negative word. Miles Davis always used the word when he really praised someone or something ("He played like a m*********").

But yeah, I think they just thought it was cool sounding and funny - not referring to Boyd Elder although that's probably where the word came from.

secret squirrel
05-19-2016, 11:24 AM
That's a very good blog, SS. Your points are spot on. I hate when people intentionally disrespect the recently deceased. Of all 7 members, Glenn just seemed to ooze out coolness the most. It still doesn't seem real sometimes.

Thanks, AG. I thought it was just really shabby to trash the Eagles at this time.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/eagles-glenn-frey-beyond-cool-band-for.html

NightMistBlue
05-19-2016, 11:33 AM
A recent story on Boyd Elder with obligatory Eagles references: http://lonestarmusicmagazine.com/respect-boyd-elder-valentine-texas-greatest-hit/

OMG, the link to Bobby Fuller. Fascinating.

Is the opening paragraph of the article correct, that the first time our fellas performed together in public as the Eagles was on Easter Sunday 1972? That seems late. I mean their debut album was being released in like 5 minutes.

P.S. if PBS re-broadcasts "Children of Giant," a documentary on the making of the James Dean film and how it affected the people of Marfa, Boyd Elder appears in that. http://www.npr.org/2015/04/24/401967121/marfa-s-mexican-americans-remember-giant-and-southwest-segregation

NightMistBlue
05-19-2016, 11:47 AM
Squirrel, you're a fine writer. I always enjoy reading your work. And looking at your avatar for lingering moments...

The Eagles had excellent taste in bass players, no debating that point.

UndertheWire
05-19-2016, 03:53 PM
JD Souther talks a bit about the Eagles: http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/ct-jd-souther-ott-0520-20160516-story.html

FWIW
05-19-2016, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the link, UtW.

Musically, JD seems more like Bernie, in that mega success wasn't a big goal of his.

Annoying Twit
05-20-2016, 04:07 AM
Thanks for the link, UtW.

Musically, JD seems more like Bernie, in that mega success wasn't a big goal of his.

I can see a life like JD's being a very good one. He must still be getting royalties from all those songs he wrote or co-wrote. He can do his own music, and not have to worry about being commercial. He most likely won't be hassled in the street all the time, or have the other problems of extreme fame.

JD dated Stevie Nicks? It seems that an awful lot of people have dated Stevie Nicks.

NightMistBlue
05-20-2016, 09:41 AM
JD dated Stevie Nicks? It seems that an awful lot of people have dated Stevie Nicks.

She's a vestal virgin compared to JD though. He's "dated" legions of women, untold numbers.

Anna-M.
05-22-2016, 06:46 AM
I'm not quite sure if it's the right thread for this post but I couldn't find a more suitable one.

Anyway ... Last week, I have watched a quiz show on television and one question referred to the Eagles:

"Where is the 'Hotel California' in the Eagles' same-titled song located?"

a) In the woods
b) By the sea
c) In the desert
d) In the mountains

And guess what, nobody knew the answer. Very sad that those people try to know everything about the modern "music" instead of realizing how wonderful and meaningful the real music is. I mean, everybody who has listened to the song intensively for at least one time remembers that first line ...

Annoying Twit
05-22-2016, 10:28 AM
I'm not quite sure if it's the right thread for this post but I couldn't find a more suitable one.

Anyway ... Last week, I have watched a quiz show on television and one question referred to the Eagles:

a) In the woods
b) By the sea
c) In the desert
d) In the mountains

And guess what, nobody knew the answer. Very sad that those people try to know everything about the modern "music" instead of realizing how wonderful and meaningful the real music is. I mean, everybody who has listened to the song intensively for at least one time remembers that first line ...

It's an interesting observation. I often watch quiz shows (Eggheads anyone), and it's often interesting to see people struggling on questions that I find trivial. But then I struggle on questions that others will find easy. E.g. for the quiz show 'pointless' (which is where contestants have to find the most obscure answers to questions) when they said "Name a song on the Police album Outlandos d'Amour (spelling)" I could only think of Roxanne and So Lonely, the two worst answers to the question, even though I have the album. Memory: you are a fickle thing.

UndertheWire
05-22-2016, 01:05 PM
I'd have struggled with the Hotel California question because I think of LA as being on the West Coast rather than the desert (I've only been to the airport). (I also really suck at Pointless - if I can think of it, it's usually at around 80%)

UndertheWire
05-30-2016, 10:47 AM
There's a magazine in the UK called "History of Rock" with each issue covering one year "from the archives of NME and Melody Maker" (two of the weekly music papers of the time). The current issue is 1975 and is the first to list "Eagles" on the cover. What it has inside are two articles from 1975. The first is from Melody Maker and is by Chris Charlesworth and the second is from NME by Steve Clarke. I didn't buy because I'd already read the MM article and the NME seemed to be more about the poor music journalist being given the run-around by a band who'd taken against the NME review of "One of These Nights".

This is the Melody Maker article: http://justbackdated.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/the-eagles-in-1975.html

secret squirrel
05-30-2016, 12:20 PM
Squirrel, you're a fine writer. I always enjoy reading your work. And looking at your avatar for lingering moments...

The Eagles had excellent taste in bass players, no debating that point.

Thanks, NMB!

Agree with you on bass players too.

SS
xx

secret squirrel
05-30-2016, 12:23 PM

a) In the woods
b) By the sea
c) In the desert
d) In the mountains

We have a show called University Challenge here and sometimes the teams are asked questions on popular music. They failed to recognise the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac but do recognise derivative acts like Arctic Monkeys!

SS
xx

FWIW
05-31-2016, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the link to the MM article, UtW. Glenn's description of playing in England is interesting.

“What I like about playing in England,” said Frey as we drew to a close, “is the attentiveness of the audience. In America we tend to play to very boisterous crowds, but in England they sit and listen and I just thrive on that."
I've never attended a concert in England. Does this characterization still hold true today?

NightMistBlue
05-31-2016, 11:19 AM
This is the Melody Maker article: http://justbackdated.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/the-eagles-in-1975.html

Very interesting - I don't think I'd ever heard of the (American) Indian benefit and jam with Neil Young.

What's this about Best of My Love being "Frey's song" with a little help from JD Souther though :) Somebody got their wires crossed, no?

FWIW
05-31-2016, 11:30 AM
There was mention of an Indian benefit in this RS article. Not sure if it's the same one.

http://www.theuncool.com/journalism/rs284-neil-young/

I also caught that bit about Best of My Love. The odd thing is that it seems to be a quote from Glenn about working with JD over the phone. Maybe Don wrote the lyrics and Glenn is talking about writing the music?

UndertheWire
05-31-2016, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the link to the MM article, UtW. Glenn's description of playing in England is interesting.
“What I like about playing in England,” said Frey as we drew to a close, “is the attentiveness of the audience. In America we tend to play to very boisterous crowds, but in England they sit and listen and I just thrive on that."
I've never attended a concert in England. Does this characterization still hold true today?

I don't know about younger crowds, but I believe it's still true for audiences of bands like the Eagles. It's the same with theatre.

I've read that "Best of My Love" started with Glenn trying out a guitar tuning that Joni Mitchell had shown him.

NightMistBlue
05-31-2016, 12:37 PM
Thanks, UtW. Have you noticed that when Glenn and Don spoke about their songwriting, they almost always seemed to focus on the lyrics exclusively. How they would discuss every single word choice before deciding, "We can say that." It's just interesting to me. I would think that writing music is a more rarefied skill. Many, many people can write good lyrics.

I've only been to one concert in England so far, the Led Zep reunion in December 2007, and the audience was rapturous but quieted down for the songs. And for when Robert was speaking in between songs too, IIRC. I haven't watched the DVD yet because I'm weird about it potentially wiping out my own memories of the gig. I want to remember my own image of the charismatic Lord Page, summoning the four directions before embarking on a shredtastic solo.

Freypower
05-31-2016, 07:04 PM
I don't know about younger crowds, but I believe it's still true for audiences of bands like the Eagles. It's the same with theatre.

I've read that "Best of My Love" started with Glenn trying out a guitar tuning that Joni Mitchell had shown him.

This is correct, but as always seems to be the case he hardly gets any credit for the song because he didn't sing it.

Dawn
05-31-2016, 08:44 PM
Thanks, UtW. Have you noticed that when Glenn and Don spoke about their songwriting, they almost always seemed to focus on the lyrics exclusively. How they would discuss every single word choice before deciding, "We can say that." It's just interesting to me. I would think that writing music is a more rarefied skill. Many, many people can write good lyrics.

I've only been to one concert in England so far, the Led Zep reunion in December 2007, and the audience was rapturous but quieted down for the songs. And for when Robert was speaking in between songs too, IIRC. I haven't watched the DVD yet because I'm weird about it potentially wiping out my own memories of the gig. I want to remember my own image of the charismatic Lord Page, summoning the four directions before embarking on a shredtastic solo.

I would have loved to see Led Zep live and in England no less - holy moly that would be heaven on earth!! Glad it happened to you - and yes - your memories of that extraordinary concert must be awesome and I totally get wanting to preserve them in the image of your personal experience.

FWIW
05-31-2016, 09:34 PM
NMB - I've noticed a focus on the lyrics as well. I think they did it because it's easier for the average person to relate to writing lyrics rather than writing music. From my own perspective, I would have no idea how to start writing music. I can at least imagine writing lyrics.

FP - So true. At least Glenn often gets credit from his contemporaries. That makes me happy. He thought of the band and the fans first and foremost and didn't seem concerned about tooting his own horn.

chaim
05-31-2016, 10:08 PM
I've seen either Glenn or Don say that J.D.'s contribution to BOML was the bridge ("I'm going back in time..."). So he was far from the driver's seat when that song was written.

Jonny Come Lately
06-01-2016, 03:13 PM

Wow, had no idea you'd been to that show! I saw the Celebration Day show on TV just over a year ago and was hugely impressed. Perhaps a bump of the Led Zeppelin thread is in order? Would absolutely love to hear more about what it was like to witness live.

Can't disagree with anything said about BOML so far. I definitely remember reading that J.D. helped write the bridge, which is probably my favourite part of the song. I've no idea how much input there was from Glenn and Don on the rest of the song, I could speculate but it isn't a particularly clear cut case to me (in contrast to say, The Last Resort, which seems to be firmly Don's song, or Heartache Tonight, where I get the sense from reading the various accounts that once you take out Bob Seger's contribution, the rest was mostly Glenn and J.D.).

Scarlet Sun
06-01-2016, 04:29 PM
Eagles' Debut: Don Henley on How Peyote, the Occult Shaped Hit LP

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/eagles-debut-don-henley-on-how-peyote-the-occult-shaped-hit-lp-20160601#ixzz4AMTQRCnq

NightMistBlue
06-02-2016, 10:33 AM
That's a great article. Don H. has a mind like a steel trap.

This is from the special issue on the Eagles, isn't it?

LuvTim
06-02-2016, 10:47 AM
There is no doubt that the man is brilliant. Deep respect for Don Henley.:smokin:

Jonny Come Lately
06-02-2016, 04:06 PM
I agree it is a great article. I am proud to call myself a fan of such an erudite and intelligent musician! (Of course, we knew that from his lyrics!) Would love to read his thoughts on the other albums too, I have been too busy lately to think about trying to acquire the Rolling Stone special.

buffyfan145
06-02-2016, 04:39 PM
I'm glad they're posting them online as it's great!!! :D That's one of the reasons I'm glad I got that edition. I totally agree about Don and loved getting to read this.

AlreadyGone95
06-02-2016, 09:36 PM
I love the Q&A about each album that Don did. I love the whole issue, but that part is cool since it's new.

sodascouts
06-03-2016, 11:55 PM
I love Don's Q&A but as a teacher, I have to give him a 0 on his peyote answer. He plagiarized it from this source (http://hallucinogens.com/peyote/)! He didn't even bother to correct "drank" to "drunk" when he copied and pasted the material from the site into his answer (Don does most interviews via email nowadays). Tsk tsk! ;)

DivineDon
06-04-2016, 12:46 PM
Yikes! I can't believe Don plagiarised! Shame on you, Don for not setting a good example for your kids. ..and why do I think that if someone plagiarised DON he wouldn't be too happy. ..lol

UndertheWire
06-04-2016, 01:00 PM
Yeah, it was obviously copied from somewhere - I wouldn't expect Don to carry around that level of detail on the effects of a drug. I think he'd have been better keeping it brief and just written about their experience but I guess he was afraid of appearing to condone the use of mind-altering substances.

Still, overall, I'm delighted with the answers he gave for all the albums. I imagine there was an overlap with the preparation he did for his eulogy at Glenn's memorial.

FreyFollower
06-04-2016, 10:00 PM
I just remember thinking that of all topics that I would have loved Don to give further detail and personal insights on, peyote wasn't one of them!

UndertheWire
06-10-2016, 03:23 AM
This is Paul Rodgers talking about Joe Walsh:

"We definitely crossed paths," Rodgers says. "I remember meeting Joe very early on, before he had joined the Eagles. There was a party and we were sitting together in Malibu Beach, and he was telling me that he was thinking about retiring, actually, and getting away from the business all together.

"And he said, 'But there's this band. Perhaps you've heard of them. They're called the Eagles.' I said 'Yeah, I've heard of them.' He said 'Well, they've invited me to play with them.' I said 'Well, you know what you might want to do is go play with them and then go off into the country and do all of that,' which he did. The next thing I knew, he had joined the Eagles, basically. We go back a long ways."http://www.mcall.com/entertainment/music/mc-bad-company-paul-rodgers-camden-20160609-story.html

sodascouts
06-10-2016, 10:21 AM
Hmm! Interesting factoid! Thanks for finding that.

AlreadyGone95
06-11-2016, 11:47 AM
Thanks for finding that cool tidbit, UtW. I love finding out that some of my favorite musicians go back a long ways!