PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

AEW21
06-09-2013, 10:05 PM
It's sweet in intent, but releasing her request to the media seems a pretty blatant attempt to put pressure on the Eagles to do what she wants. It's all in the name of a good cause but still, the methodology is a little manipulative.

I think we're casting aspersions on a lil' old lady who only wanted to help out a friend. She contacted Jim Stingl to help her find the right person at Summerfest to help her out, and it was Summerfest, not her, who decided to contact the Eagles. I honestly don't think her intent in this was to pity-shame the Eagles into upgrading her tickets...

VAisForEagleLovers
06-09-2013, 10:56 PM
I think we're casting aspersions on a lil' old lady who only wanted to help out a friend. She contacted Jim Stingl to help her find the right person at Summerfest to help her out, and it was Summerfest, not her, who decided to contact the Eagles. I honestly don't think her intent in this was to pity-shame the Eagles into upgrading her tickets...

Actually, re-reading it several times because it's not clear, she called the reporter dude and he called 'Fest'. 'Fest' told him it was sold out and nothing really could be done.

THEN he says the guy at 'Fest (Boler)' called Joyce to tell her it was taken care of:

After hearing the story of Joyce and Ron, Summerfest is making the magic happen for them. The festival is contacting the Eagles' management to secure two spots — one for Ron's chair and a seat next to him for Joyce — in the wheelchair area behind the reserved seating sections, for no extra charge.

Boler called Joyce on Friday with the news.

"I'm overwhelmed," she told me. "I would have been very happy up on the hill, but this is so very kind."

Sounds like it's already been fixed.

TimothyBFan
06-10-2013, 07:20 AM

Agreed!!! She's 74 years old and I think it's wonderful that she did this. How many of our 74 year old parents would know about a lawn seat at a festival? Mine sure wouldn't have.

As far as putting pressure on the Eagles by making it public? I say kudos to them for doing it!!!! I'll be pretty disappointed if they don't cough up a couple seats for them.

Topkat
06-10-2013, 03:07 PM
It's sweet in intent, but releasing her request to the media seems a pretty blatant attempt to put pressure on the Eagles to do what she wants. It's all in the name of a good cause but still, the methodology is a little manipulative.

Wow, sorry you feel that way...I think this woman has nothing but the best intent for her friend. Manipulative??? Seriously? That's pretty harsh, don't you think?? I don't think it's to put pressure on the Eagles, but hopefully they will pull through for them.
When she purchased the lawn tickets, she thought she could bring the wheelchair in. Sheesh, the guy had never been to a concert. I'm sure life in a wheelchair is not a lot of fun...
I would also be upset if they don't come up with some tickets for them!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Like I said, rereading the article, I think it's a done deal, they got the seats behind the board.

zeldabjr
06-10-2013, 05:16 PM

I agree with you AEW21 and with you TK..

VAisForEagleLovers
06-10-2013, 05:47 PM
I've seen way too many pity-shame attempts of the Eagles and others through the years to be so totally convinced that a little old lady wasn't going for that angle. It's a shame that mistrust and cynicism has been beaten into me like that, but it has. So I can totally see why Soda thought what she thought. I know when I want to find the right person to call at a place like that, I ask the one who says they can't help who can help and keep calling until I find someone. Calling a journalist usually means you want it published somewhere, so that everyone is aware of whatever the problem is. I'm not saying this was the case with this lady. Maybe she didn't call him because he was a journalist, but a regular person with some knowledge of the festival who also happened to be a journalist. Since it was taken care of, we may never know...

sodascouts
06-10-2013, 08:54 PM
The first thought of the little old ladies I know would not be to call a journalist; this one is obviously pretty savvy. That's not necessarily a bad thing, of course, especially if you judge by results - she got them. Hope they enjoy the show. :)

Houston Debutante
06-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Look what I found, this blog calls the Eagles the second worst band of all time, what the hell. They're not the only ridiculous choice in this list either. Whoever wrote this is clueless.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/02/top_20_worst_bands_ever_complete_list.php?page=19

Check out the comments, almost everyone agrees that this list is a joke.

Topkat
06-14-2013, 02:10 PM
I've seen way too many pity-shame attempts of the Eagles and others through the years to be so totally convinced that a little old lady wasn't going for that angle. It's a shame that mistrust and cynicism has been beaten into me like that, but it has. So I can totally see why Soda thought what she thought. I know when I want to find the right person to call at a place like that, I ask the one who says they can't help who can help and keep calling until I find someone. Calling a journalist usually means you want it published somewhere, so that everyone is aware of whatever the problem is. I'm not saying this was the case with this lady. Maybe she didn't call him because he was a journalist, but a regular person with some knowledge of the festival who also happened to be a journalist. Since it was taken care of, we may never know...

The woman is in her 70's. She was just looking for someone to help her out. I don't think she was looking for publicity or to shame the Eagles into anything.
How cynical can you get? She spent her money for tickets that she couldn't use, & when she tried for other seats was told it was sold out.
She was paying for a friend in a wheelchair to see his first ever concert... I hope I'm never that mistrusting of some little old ladies intentions.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-14-2013, 04:05 PM
The woman is in her 70's. She was just looking for someone to help her out. I don't think she was looking for publicity or to shame the Eagles into anything.
How cynical can you get? She spent her money for tickets that she couldn't use, & when she tried for other seats was told it was sold out.
She was paying for a friend in a wheelchair to see his first ever concert... I hope I'm never that mistrusting of some little old ladies intentions.

Tk i read your response to my mother who is 72. She laughed and named two women she knew who she knew would do just such a thing. Then said she was sure that in this day and age 70's was not 'little old lady.'. Maybe 80's. Yes...we are bored at the hospital.

WalshFan88
06-14-2013, 04:56 PM
I really highly doubt she was manipulating and I'm glad she did what she did. I'm glad the Eagles did do the right thing and give her tickets for the disabled guy, which is the right thing to do. He wants to see the band and can't help the fact he is disabled and the venue isn't wheelchair friendly. So IMO "special treatment" is warranted and I stand by her decision. He deserves those seats. I'm glad she got them for him no matter what way she would have went about it. Maybe I'm biased because of my own disabilities but that's just the way I feel about it and the way it should be IMO.

Witchy Woman
06-14-2013, 07:11 PM
I really highly doubt she was manipulating and I'm glad she did what she did. I'm glad the Eagles did do the right thing and give her tickets for the disabled guy, which is the right thing to do. He wants to see the band and can't help the fact he is disabled and the venue isn't wheelchair friendly. So IMO "special treatment" is warranted and I stand by her decision. He deserves those seats. I'm glad she got them for him no matter what way she would have went about it. Maybe I'm biased because of my own disabilities but that's just the way I feel about it and the way it should be IMO.

Well said, Austin. I doubt very highly she was trying to manipulate anyone. Now, if she demanded front row seats and a meet and greet that would be crossing the line. All she wanted was to be able to comfortably accommodate her handicapped friend. Nothing to see here, move along.

sodascouts
06-15-2013, 12:28 AM
Look what I found, this blog calls the Eagles the second worst band of all time, what the hell. They're not the only ridiculous choice in this list either. Whoever wrote this is clueless.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/02/top_20_worst_bands_ever_complete_list.php?page=19

Check out the comments, almost everyone agrees that this list is a joke.

That list is ridiculous. I think they're just deliberately posting something outrageous to get people to link to them/comment. Surely anyone who knows anything about music would not truly believe those are the worst bands of ALL TIME!

Troubadour
06-15-2013, 12:47 AM
They're trying to be all confrontational, hip and 'alternative'. Yawn.

AEW21
06-15-2013, 02:44 PM
The first thought of the little old ladies I know would not be to call a journalist; this one is obviously pretty savvy. That's not necessarily a bad thing, of course, especially if you judge by results - she got them. Hope they enjoy the show. :)

Just jumping back into to say that this guy isn't really a hard news "journalist"--he's a folksy column writer who is know for writing local community stories with a fluffy angle--kids setting stuffed animal care clinics; school mascots being stolen then returned all cleaned and mended--stories with a feel-good angle. And most of his leads come from people calling him and asking him to "help out" and contact the right person for them, etc. A lot of them are older people who just can't navigate the complexities of today's social contacts and hierarchies. So he puts himself out there for these sorts of assists; she just didn't pluck him out of the blue to contact. And while I'm sure she hoped he could help her, it was he who contacted Summerfest, and SF who contacted the Eagles. I'm sure in her wildest dream she never thought it would get that far. And she seems quite touched by all the effort put forth.

I'm happy her act of kindness has been repaid. Good on the Eagles and Summerfest for coming through and helping these two friends out.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-15-2013, 03:45 PM
I think all she really wanted was wheelchair access on the lawn and for someone to think about long term having more handicapped seating available. So yes, what she got exceeded her expectations.

The big problem, as I see it, is this guy's first concert is the EAGLES. If he goes to another concert, he'll expect such perfection from every artist!

sodascouts
06-15-2013, 06:39 PM
They're trying to be all confrontational, hip and 'alternative'. Yawn.

The weird thing is that alongside the Eagles they have bands like Rush and Pearl Jam. It's like they wanted to offend fans of every genre!

Freypower
06-15-2013, 06:40 PM
The Dude thing when people criticise the Eagles is starting to become like Godwin's Law (once an internet discussion invokes Hitler it's over). It is tiresomely predictable & I cannot believe these 'writers' still think they are being clever when they use it.

sodascouts
06-16-2013, 03:16 PM
The Dude thing when people criticise the Eagles is starting to become like Godwin's Law (once an internet discussion invokes Hitler it's over). It is tiresomely predictable & I cannot believe these 'writers' still think they are being clever when they use it.

Seriously. The movie is 15 years old!

Thirsty&Hot
06-17-2013, 06:17 PM
this isn't exactly the "press", but I wasn't sure where else to post it
saw this on facebook this morning:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/photo_zps9420b5a3.png (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/songbirdreleased/media/Eagles%20etc/photo_zps9420b5a3.png.html)

that's 11pm Pacific if you did want to tune in :)

which side would you want to hear?

Thirsty&Hot
06-17-2013, 06:23 PM
i've been thinking about it...it's so hard to choose a side! haha

but I guess I would pick side one...i think haha

thankfully I can listen to the entire album any time I'd like! :)

Freypower
06-17-2013, 10:31 PM
Sorry, but it is Side One for me every single time.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-17-2013, 11:02 PM
The magic of CDs, there are no sides. I have my devices on shuffle and since I need to wear reading glasses to undo it, I leave them like that. I don't remember what's on side 1 and side 2!

Prettymaid
06-17-2013, 11:12 PM
The magic of CDs, there are no sides. I have my devices on shuffle and since I need to wear reading glasses to undo it, I leave them like that. I don't remember what's on side 1 and side 2!

It's kind of sad, though. There are albums that came out almost 50 years ago, and no matter what song I hear off of them, I can still remember what comes next on the album. I can't do that with newer CDs. I listen to them in their entirety a couple of times and then on to shuffle they go.

sad-cafe
06-17-2013, 11:14 PM
It's kind of sad, though. There are albums that came out almost 50 years ago, and no matter what song I hear off of them, I can still remember what comes next on the album. I can't do that with newer CDs. I listen to them in their entirety a couple of times and then on to shuffle they go.

okay, I am dating myself, but sometimes when I hear songs I know when inside the song it will switch to the next "tract" 8-tracks anyone?

VAisForEagleLovers
06-17-2013, 11:15 PM

I can remember some albums but not this one. I think it's because I first owned it on 8 track instead of vinyl and I can't remember for this one, but it seemed that few 8 tracks were in the same order as albums.

TimothyBFan
06-18-2013, 07:12 AM

:nod: Vinyl---the way it should be played! :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
06-18-2013, 07:25 AM
Yeah, even if it wasn't a concept album, it still had a structure to it, or seemed like it did, anyway. It just felt right for example, to hear And Your Bird Can Sing after Good Day Sunshine on The Beatles Revolver album.

Brooke
06-18-2013, 10:57 AM

Pm, I can too. And I do the same thing. Never thought about it, but yeah, it's kinda sad that we won't be able to do that with newer albums (records, cds, downloads?). The times, they are a-changin'!

Va, I'm like you and get tired of having to put on the glasses! :lol:

Thirsty&Hot
06-18-2013, 10:22 PM
honestly, I had to look it up to see what tracks were on side 1 and side 2 (or I could have looked at my vinyl record haha, but I was too lazy to get up)

side one is definitely the one I would pick, and the only reason side 2 makes me double think that is because I love Victim of Love (my namesake hehe)..such a sexy song.

for those of you who can't remember...

SIDE ONE:

1. HOTEL CALIFORNIA 

2. NEW KID IN TOWN 

3. LIFE IN THE FAST LANE

4. WASTED TIME

SIDE TWO:

1. WASTED TIME (REPRISE) 

2. VICTIM OF LOVE

3. PRETTY MAIDS ALL IN A ROW 

4. TRY AND LOVE AGAIN 

5. THE LAST RESORT

but again...no need to choose sides! :D

Prettymaid
06-18-2013, 11:06 PM
but again...no need to choose sides! :D

Because we can have both! :grin:

sad-cafe
06-18-2013, 11:12 PM
I first had Hotel California on LP

Somehow it got a scratch during Wasted Time. I got used to the bump in the song. Now when I listen to it on my CD I keep expecting to hear the scratch bump :)

TimothyBFan
06-19-2013, 07:27 AM
I first had Hotel California on LP

Somehow it got a scratch during Wasted Time. I got used to the bump in the song. Now when I listen to it on my CD I keep expecting to hear the scratch bump :)

:hilarious: I know!! Isn't it funny how you get to that? We listen to vinyl a LOT around here and you get use to all the little noises from scratches and such.

BTW--- Love you're avi---it looks really familiar. :hilarious:

WalshFan88
06-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Gotta have both sides, but if I had to absolutely pick one, it'd be side one for sure.

Brooke
06-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Thanks for posting that t & h cause I was even too lazy to look it up! :rolleyes:

I would pick side one but I really love side two too, so I'd request both sides be played! I can't just listen to one side. I want to hear it all! :hilarious:

AEW21
06-26-2013, 06:08 PM
Interview (http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/festivals/annual-musical-event-arrives-bob-babisch-has-put-work-into-summerfest-lineup-b9940838z1-213060381.html?ipad=y) with Summerfest's Bob Babisch, v-p of entertainment there, in today's Journal-Sentinel, and how he books acts for the Marcus and the other What, 10 stages on the grounds? Here he talks Eagles:

Q. What bookings were you most proud to get?

A. fun. (playing June 27) is a perfect example. It was out. It just wasn't going to happen. Then a couple of events popped up (around Summerfest) where it made sense not to make it a one-off anymore, so I think they came back from Europe to do it.

The Eagles were a tough one. It looked like it wasn't going to happen at the time. And the manager of the band, Irving Azoff, is a good friend to this festival and is always going out of his way to find things for us. Then it popped up again, and he asked, 'What are you thinking?" and it was all over. And that's a sold-out show right now, so that's a great way to close the festival.

That hustling Irving.... ;)

Prettymaid
06-26-2013, 06:19 PM
No offense intended to the festivals, but I would think that once you've reached the Eagle's calibre, you wouldn't want to do outdoor shows in the summer. It can be miserable out there in that heat! I remember seeing Joe at Ribfest last year and it was brutal. And I was just standing in it! I can't imagine performing in that heat!

Tori
06-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Joe was at Summerfest last year and it was borderline miserable. 95 degree heat even with the breeze off Lake Michigan, and made worse by all the people packed into the Miller Lite Oasis to see Joe. I don't know how they do it!

Brooke
06-27-2013, 09:27 AM
Pm, I agree. I'm surprised they would do any outdoor shows. It's pretty much miserable for everyone when it's so hot. And performing....:hand:

Henley Honey
06-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Pm, I agree. I'm surprised they would do any outdoor shows. It's pretty much miserable for everyone when it's so hot. And performing....:hand:

They're playing Bethel Woods on July 25th. I'm hoping it's not too oppressive but you never know. The amphitheater is covered though, except for the Lawn Area, so it shouldn't be too bad! It's gonna be a hot one, but I'll try and muddle through. 8)

Henley Honey
07-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Don gave an interview to the Louisville Courier-Journal. Here's the link:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013307030083&nclick_check=1

I love this part:
This tour will definitely be different. There will be some stripped-down, intimate, musical moments harkening back to our very first rehearsals in a shack in the San Fernando Valley. A former band member will be joining us for part of the show. There will be some new arrangements of familiar tunes. The sets and the lighting will be all new and the visual aspect of the show is something that we are very excited about.

Troubadour
07-03-2013, 08:06 PM
Aw, that was a great read. I love Don and his literary quotes! :heart: I am so excited about what the show will be like... I just can't wait to have a date (and tickets!) secured.

Prettymaid
07-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Well, that just about clinches it for Bernie! :nod: If that's not an affirmation, I don't know what is! I am a happy, happy girl right now! (We need a dancing emoticon.)

Prettymaid
07-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Okay, I read the whole thing and just loved it. Too bad he had to end it on such a bittersweet note.

AEW21
07-03-2013, 11:33 PM
Wouldn't you just pass out in your chair to open your e-mail and see one from Don Henley? My God. ;) I love that he obviously takes such time and effort to compose his answers...

Prettymaid
07-04-2013, 08:17 AM
I think it was TBF who mentioned somewhere on here the idea of the first part of the show being just the four of them and then the backup band coming out to play the second half. Well, I don't think it's going to be the entire first half, but Don does indicate that some parts of the show will be stripped down. I think this is a great idea. I would have loved to watch the beginning plans for this show - the 'why don't we try this' and 'what if we did that'. :cool:

GlennLover
07-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Oh, I'm getting (more) excited! I was just wondering yesterday if Bernie would be there for sure. Happy that that has been confirmed! Sounds like they really have made the effort to make this show different from what they have been doing! "Intimate musical moments" :nod:!

Tiffanny Twisted
07-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Don gave an interview to the Louisville Courier-Journal. Here's the link:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013307030083&nclick_check=1

I love this part:
This tour will definitely be different. There will be some stripped-down, intimate, musical moments harkening back to our very first rehearsals in a shack in the San Fernando Valley. A former band member will be joining us for part of the show. There will be some new arrangements of familiar tunes. The sets and the lighting will be all new and the visual aspect of the show is something that we are very excited about.

well I love this article for so many reasons..
He is such a wonderful speaker and it comes across even in his written word.

I like what he said about it taking him two years to cover the globe ( are you listening borders over in the uk and england etc.....start saving your concert money now.....seems like they are planning on coming your way at some point....he said it would take them through 2015).
Also, that since they had to go around hockey and basketball schedules in the states....they couldnt do "mulitile nights" in a lot of venues so ....."they will be back " (since there was a demand for mutltiple nights)

I read between the lines "It could be their last tour" ....could mean HFO was a tour HC was a tour , LROOE was a tour and this one is HOTW tour.
I would like to think that maybe they will still do things like vegas and revel where they play their favorite hits and the "short" program.

ANd of course I am excited about Bernie or who we think is Bernie on the tour as well,,

This was a great intreview..
Am I the only one or do you guys see what I see too???:partytime:

Ive always been a dreamer
07-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Yep - I loved reading that interview. It's a good thing that there will be a lot of Borderers eyes and ears at the upcoming shows cause it sounds like we are going to have a lot to report about! :yay:

Prettymaid
07-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Yep - I loved reading that interview. It's a good thing that there will be a lot of Borderers eyes and ears at the upcoming shows cause it sounds like we are going to have a lot to report about! :yay:

:yay: Back atcha Kay!

Outlawman13
07-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Now I'm super stoked on watching this concert. Bernie is going to be there? Oh this is going to be wonderful. I love that article 'cause I needed something to cheer me up!

cheryl
07-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Just got done reading this story. Great interview! As I read his answers I could almost picture the look on his face with some of the answers. The parts without the band sound very interesting. Can't wait.

Brooke
07-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Can't wait to hear all about it after it actually happens! :blueblob:

AEW21
07-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Don's email responses to interview with Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/festivals/don-henley-of-the-eagles-hints-at-the-end-of-an-era-b9945167z1-214213911.html?ipad=y). Prety much same as before, though this time he manages to A) name drop Mick Jagger as guessing in his album; B) proclaim he remembers nothing about his previous Milwaukee visits, and C) diss Don Felder's documentary tears. ;)

I just envision him getting more and more cranky the more of these e-mail interviews he "has" to do. He's rather adorable when he gets all wordy and worked up. :hilarious:

Prettymaid
07-05-2013, 10:04 PM
What legal action does Mr. Felder still engage them in?

Topkat
07-05-2013, 11:03 PM
Rolling Stone Article about the tour

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/eagles-tour-will-feature-founding-guitarist-bernie-leadon-20130705

sad-cafe
07-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Mr. Rock

bwaha

I LOVE Don Henley! He just has a way with words.:thumbsup:

Tiffanny Twisted
07-05-2013, 11:23 PM
great artice thanks for posting..

WalshFan88
07-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Don's email responses to interview with Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/festivals/don-henley-of-the-eagles-hints-at-the-end-of-an-era-b9945167z1-214213911.html?ipad=y). Prety much same as before, though this time he manages to A) name drop Mick Jagger as guessing in his album; B) proclaim he remembers nothing about his previous Milwaukee visits, and C) diss Don Felder's documentary tears. ;)

I just envision him getting more and more cranky the more of these e-mail interviews he "has" to do. He's rather adorable when he gets all wordy and worked up. :hilarious:

LOL, Don is Don. Just like how he refers to Kid Rock and Don Felder as "Mr. Rock" and "Mr. Felder". So formal. :hilarious:

I really doubt that Felder still "engages in legal action" anymore... I don't really know what that's all about.

He did confirm though what I thought, that if Randy were healthy he'd be on the tour with Bernie, which would have been wonderful.

WalshFan88
07-05-2013, 11:40 PM
What legal action does Mr. Felder still engage them in?

I'd like to know as well. I have a feeling it's just Don being Don and just sort of exaggerating it. But if he is, Felder sure hasn't said anything about it.

Tiffanny Twisted
07-06-2013, 11:30 AM
ya know austin it makes me feel good to hear DH say that if randy were healthy...he's have been included too:thumbsup:

a real class act that don henley

Topkat
07-06-2013, 02:48 PM
I wish Felder was doing this tour. After seeing him last week, I would love to see him play with them again....Would have been really huge if that would happen!

TimothyBFan
07-06-2013, 03:11 PM
I'd like to know as well. I have a feeling it's just Don being Don and just sort of exaggerating it. But if he is, Felder sure hasn't said anything about it.

Was just reading that & thinking same thing. Anyone know? If it's true, sure has been kept quiet.

Tiffanny Twisted
07-06-2013, 03:24 PM
probably a gag order

Topkat
07-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Here's an article I came across written by Joe's ex manager...Quite an interesting read about what went on behind the scenes of the HFO tour.

http://www.cleveland.com/popmusic/index.ssf/2013/07/david_spero_artist-manager_tal.html#incart_river_default

VAisForEagleLovers
07-07-2013, 02:41 PM
It was an interesting read. Still, I hope he doesn't write the book. The last thing any of us need is one more book by someone not named Don, Glenn, Joe, Bernie, Randy, or Timothy who claims to know what really made these guys tick and what really happened.

Tiffanny Twisted
07-07-2013, 06:36 PM
thanks ellen very intresting article

Brooke
07-08-2013, 07:35 PM
"Q.One moment that stuck with me watching the documentary was seeing (former guitarist) Don Felder hold back tears when he talked about being kicked out of the band again in 2001. What was your reaction to seeing this, given your troubled history with him and the court actions that occurred following his termination?

A. Well, that was a poignant moment, for sure — if it was real — but since Mr. Felder continues to engage in legal action, of one kind or another, against us, I can't really say anything further about it."

Now maybe we can understand why he wasn't asked. If he continuously needles them why would they? Who wants to go on tour with someone that you don't get along with? It looks like the rest of them have let by-gones be by-gones. But not Felder. And why would Don Henley make that up?

Troubadour
07-08-2013, 08:03 PM
I agree, Brooke. That suggests strongly to me that there is some sort of legal thing going on at the moment. Just because we haven't heard about it beforehand doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Topkat
07-08-2013, 08:57 PM
It was an interesting read. Still, I hope he doesn't write the book. The last thing any of us need is one more book by someone not named Don, Glenn, Joe, Bernie, Randy, or Timothy who claims to know what really made these guys tick and what really happened.

He probably will write one, but you take it with a grain of salt...like every thing else written about it...I mean these people were there, on the tour with them, so they did see & hear things that went on...some of it has to be true. The Eagles were far from alone out there. There were plenty of people on the road with them.

Tiffanny Twisted
07-08-2013, 09:03 PM
so did we figure out what df is suing eagles and dh for yet?

Brooke
07-08-2013, 09:32 PM
tt, like you said earlier there is probably a gag order. Evidently, since we haven't heard anything about it till now.

sodascouts
07-08-2013, 09:41 PM
I'm surprised it wouldn't be reported in the entertainment news. Even lawsuits with gag orders have to be filed publicly in the courts. Perhaps this is residual matters from the lawsuit that was supposedly settled.

Tiffanny Twisted
07-08-2013, 09:43 PM
nancy you could be right..some how I think df was the gift that kept on giving...lol

Topkat
07-08-2013, 09:43 PM
so did we figure out what df is suing eagles and dh for yet?

It's probably some minor thing like royalties or something like that...Who cares??? I don't even want to know about it.

Seeing Bernie reunited with the Eagles really makes me wish it was Don Felder that was back in the band. After seeing him last week, I was really impressed with his guitar playing & he & Frampton seem to get along well & they sounded great together, but I do wish he was doing this tour with the Eagles...It would be a huge thing for everyone.:sad:

sad-cafe
07-08-2013, 10:00 PM
nancy you could be right..some how I think df was the gift that kept on giving...lol

agree. I think he is one that needles, prods, doesn't drop things and keeps crap stirred. I read his book, made him come off badly IMO

SilverMoon
07-08-2013, 11:30 PM
I'm surprised it wouldn't be reported in the entertainment news. Even lawsuits with gag orders have to be filed publicly in the courts. Perhaps this is residual matters from the lawsuit that was supposedly settled.

I agree with you, Soda.

SilverMoon
07-08-2013, 11:32 PM
It's probably some minor thing like royalties or something like that...Who cares??? I don't even want to know about it.

Seeing Bernie reunited with the Eagles really makes me wish it was Don Felder that was back in the band. After seeing him last week, I was really impressed with his guitar playing & he & Frampton seem to get along well & they sounded great together, but I do wish he was doing this tour with the Eagles...It would be a huge thing for everyone.:sad:

I really wish they would "get over it" and bring Don Felder back. He is certainly a big part of the band's history.

SilverMoon
07-08-2013, 11:36 PM
Now maybe we can understand why he wasn't asked. If he continuously needles them why would they? Who wants to go on tour with someone that you don't get along with? It looks like the rest of them have let by-gones be by-gones. But not Felder. And why would Don Henley make that up?

Bill Szymczyk said in an interview that the four current members of the band hate each other.

They are pretending to get along.

Freypower
07-08-2013, 11:37 PM
I really wish they would "get over it" and bring Don Felder back. He is certainly a big part of the band's history.

I have no desire to stir up any controversy but HOTE made it clear the band could no longer work with Don Felder.

sad-cafe
07-08-2013, 11:38 PM
I don't believe that

they must "pretend" rather well if that were the case.

I just don't believe they hate each other, there would not be such great chemistry on stage if that were true.

Freypower
07-08-2013, 11:40 PM
Bill Szymczyk said in an interview that the four current members of the band hate each other.

They are pretending to get along.

Please provide a link, or evidence for that statement.

Victim of Love
07-09-2013, 12:22 AM
Here's an interview Szymczyk did last October. While he doesn't actually say it in so many words, near the end of the interview he implies that LROOE wasn't exactly a bed of roses to work on with the guys because of tensions.

http://www.goldminemag.com/article/producer-bill-szymczyk-is-in-it-for-the-long-run

AEW21
07-09-2013, 01:04 AM
Let's keep in kind that LROOE was over 5 years ago, and Bill only saw them for that brief window of time. Time heals all wounds, and as they've gotten older, they seem to roll with the punches a bit better, in tern of petty squabbling.

I think the process of putting together an album is stressful, even for the best and closest of bandmates. So tension and conflict are common for album productions, and probably doubled when you're tackling a double album, which LROOE basically was. And bless them, these guys are perfectionists, which is a blessing and a curse. Like for "The Long Run," I think when time stretches out and things get too drawn out, tempers flare. They're passionate guys and their demand for quality may get the best of them. It's not like its "fighting for fighting's sake." It's all about the music. I think they need to set time deadlines for doing albums though--when they get too mired in the complexities of it all is when it all seems to boil over. Keep it simple, fellas. ;)

Also, for LROOE, they all had families and other commitments going on, and it just became too drawn out a process with all of them in too many far-flung locations, e-mailing back and forth. It's the issue they've had from the beginning, and they all touched upon in the doc--when times get tough, they don't communicate well. (Typical men ;))

I think Bill is merely being a tad "interview colorful" by calling it "hate." I think frustrations bubble easily, and they get annoyed with each other, but after how many years, I don't think it's "hate" when they fight. Maybe more disappointment?--"Why can't you see what I see? Why can't you hear what I hear?" It all comes down to ego and artistry and how to blend it in a band atmosphere--it's hard to subjugate the one for the good of the whole--the Eagles struggle with it, and all bands struggle with it, I'm sure.

All I can say is that the guys looked to be having a great time with each other in Milwaukee on Sunday, and I don't think you can fake that chemistry. You could feel their enthusiasm coming off the stage; in little looks and smiles they exchanged. (And in that heat, who would have the energy to fake friendship!?!? ;)) Are they best buddies off stage? Maybe not (or maybe some are closer than others), but I think they respect each other and the journey they've been on together. So "hate?" I don't think they could last this long if their was true "hate" there.

MaryCalifornia
07-09-2013, 01:39 AM
I think that the amount of money the Eagles make when they tour makes it worthwhile for them to play nice when they are on stage and during press events, and I'm guessing they are having a genuinely good time up there playing the music. I would not be surprised to hear they do not communicate at all between Eagles events. Having said that, don't Joe and Glenn tour outside of Eagles tours as Party of Two? Those two obviously don't hate each other if they work together outside of the Eagles touring machine? Or, again, maybe they can bring themselves to do it for $1MM for one night...its all business. Its funny that people WANT them to like each other.

I was wondering - does anybody know if any of the Eagles ever attended one of Timothy's solo shows? I would like to think that, as a courtesy, they would have checked him out on his only solo tour...

As far as continuing litigation with Felder, the recent advent of music broadcast technologies such as Spotify and Pandora has brought up an entirely new, unforeseen set of issues. Normally, you would write in a settlement agreement something to the effect of, "and all technology now or invented in the future..." but there are always ways to try to re-open a case. The royalty system for these types of websites/apps is so different from the traditional radio royalties - every six months there is a new technology!! I just read last week that an artist's (can't remember who) song was played one million times by Pandora and he received, like, $16. There is no way to keep up with the technology.

TimothyBFan
07-09-2013, 08:12 AM
As far as continuing litigation with Felder, the recent advent of music broadcast technologies such as Spotify and Pandora has brought up an entirely new, unforeseen set of issues. Normally, you would write in a settlement agreement something to the effect of, "and all technology now or invented in the future..." but there are always ways to try to re-open a case. The royalty system for these types of websites/apps is so different from the traditional radio royalties - every six months there is a new technology!! I just read last week that an artist's (can't remember who) song was played one million times by Pandora and he received, like, $16. There is no way to keep up with the technology.

So is this what Don was referring to in that interview with a Milwaukee (I think it was) paper that we posted somewhere here? I know I was wondering if there were still litigation or if Don was being a bit over the top. I wish we knew for sure. Consider me one that would like to see all 7 of them up on stage before this is all said and done. I can dream!!

Brooke
07-09-2013, 10:05 AM
I think there's too much bad blood between Don and Glenn and Felder. They will never be on stage with him again. We can dream about it all we want, but it won't happen. Can you really blame Don and Glenn when Felder continuously picks at them? I don't. I for one, don't care. I still love the Eagles without him.

Prettymaid
07-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Couldn't help but notice in that interview that Bill got the facts wrong on Randy Meisner. Randy didn't pour the beer on Glenn - Bernie did.

TimothyBFan
07-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Can you really blame Don and Glenn when Felder continuously picks at them? I don't. I for one, don't care. I still love the Eagles without him.

Not to try to start the whole Felder/Frey/Henley argument over again BUT it goes both ways!! I don't think Felder is any worse than the other 2. Henley and his whole "Mr. Felder" and such.

(And there you have it--- I just posted in the Border theme thread that I'm not a Felder fan/defender, yet I've found myself "defending" him twice today). Go figure!

WalshFan88
07-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Not to try to start the whole Felder/Frey/Henley argument over again BUT it goes both ways!! I don't think Felder is any worse than the other 2. Henley and his whole "Mr. Felder" and such.

(And there you have it--- I just posted in the Border theme thread that I'm not a Felder fan/defender, yet I've found myself "defending" him twice today). Go figure!

+1

I think one is no better than the other...

Topkat
07-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Couldn't help but notice in that interview that Bill got the facts wrong on Randy Meisner. Randy didn't pour the beer on Glenn - Bernie did.

He did say that he wasn't there, but I believe that a beer bottle was thrown (I think against a wall, not at anyone's face) & smashed when Randy & Glenn got into that fight. I'm not sure who threw it and wasn't there something about a towel thrown into someones face. In any case, it was a bad enough fight that Randy knew he had to leave the Eagles.

AEW21
07-09-2013, 12:44 PM

You're totally right. Bill recounts the story of the beer being POURED on Glenn's head, not the bottle being thrown, and the pouring was definitely Bernie (as he told the story in the doc), not Randy. I don't any beer-throwing or pouring was done with Randy--it was just the fight backstage, and even that I don't think was the final moment--just one of the final straws with him and the band. (The bottle throwing incident involved Felder!)

sodascouts
07-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Yeah. I know we're all human and have imperfect memories (I certainly do), but I still winced at that pretty major screw up.

Topkat
07-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Yeah. I know we're all human and have imperfect memories (I certainly do), but I still winced at that pretty major screw up.

Yes, but he did say that he wasn't there, so he's not saying that he actually saw anything.

AEW21
07-09-2013, 04:59 PM
I think he's totally confusing (is "disremembering" a word. ;)) the incident he wasn't there to see... I think he's confusing a story about Bernie and making it about Randy--I don't there was ever a rumor about Randy and Glenn and beer-pouring that he heard secondhand--time and age has just made him transpose Bernie to Randy in his memory. Not that this puts all of his statements into question, but maybe he's muddying up memories of studio sessions and amplifying the "hate" factor from the LROOE sessions!

The lesson learned--don't leave Eagles alone with beer bottles or cans. :hilarious:

Topkat
07-09-2013, 05:22 PM

Soda, there are lots of screw ups...These things happened... what 40 years ago? People are going to forget & change things up. That is why even if we do end up with bios from ALL the Eagles, I'm willing to bet there will be discrepancies in their stories. Unless each of them kept detailed diaries of things, they aren't going to remember everything exactly the same. I am in my 50's & some things from the 70's are a bit foggy...Especially with the amount of drugs these guys took, I bet there will be lots of different stories from each of them. Even people witnessing the same event will tell it differently.

AEW21
07-09-2013, 05:53 PM
In light of that, sometimes I fear what will happen when Don and Glenn release their autobiographies..I'm sure there are many events they'll remember differently over the years! :)

GlennLover
07-09-2013, 10:57 PM
I think that the amount of money the Eagles make when they tour makes it worthwhile for them to play nice when they are on stage and during press events, and I'm guessing they are having a genuinely good time up there playing the music. I would not be surprised to hear they do not communicate at all between Eagles events. Having said that, don't Joe and Glenn tour outside of Eagles tours as Party of Two? Those two obviously don't hate each other if they work together outside of the Eagles touring machine? Or, again, maybe they can bring themselves to do it for $1MM for one night...its all business. Its funny that people WANT them to like each other.

Most of the shows that Glenn & Joe play are charity events or private corporate shows. I don't think that they would get anywhere near a million for their concerts. I, along with a few other Borderers, saw Glenn & Joe perform at the JazzAspenSnowmass festival a few years ago. This festival is held to raise money for music education in local schools. It was such a fun show. They joked together & laughed at each others jokes & antics. They would have had to be extremely good actors to fake the obvious comraderie between them. The two of them have also been know to attend basketball games together. I have read reports & have seen a picture of this.

MaryCalifornia
07-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Yeah, that's what I was saying, they must be friends if they do these gigs together. I'm sorry but if JENNIFER LOPEZ commands $1MM per corporate gig (two weeks ago for an oil company), then Joe and Glenn should rate triple that - they're legends!!! With actual hit songs!!

MaryCalifornia
07-09-2013, 11:07 PM
In light of that, sometimes I fear what will happen when Don and Glenn release their autobiographies..I'm sure there are many events they'll remember differently over the years! :)

I CAN'T WAIT!! I want Tim's and Joe's, too!!

Victim of Love
07-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Okay folks, here's yet another Don interview that I don't find posted here. If it's a duplicate, my apologies. I intended to put it up here last week but got sidetracked.

http://www.cleveland.com/popmusic/index.ssf/2013/07/eagles_don_henley_on_the_dvd_t.html

sad-cafe
07-09-2013, 11:59 PM
I love it. I should also learn not to read the comments. Always there is someone badmouthing DH because of DF

GlennLover
07-10-2013, 09:53 AM
I love it. I should also learn not to read the comments. Always there is someone badmouthing DH because of DF

I know. They do the same thing with Glenn interviews & with the Eagles as well. I've really got to stop reading them as I see red every time & I'm left with such a bad feeling afterward.

sad-cafe
07-10-2013, 11:31 PM
I know. They do the same thing with Glenn interviews & with the Eagles as well. I've really got to stop reading them as I see red every time & I'm left with such a bad feeling afterward.

me too. I so want to log in and give them a scathing scolding, but I don't know how to do it without using too much personal information so I don't.

Victim of Love
07-11-2013, 01:21 AM
Just found this on my FB page. Nothing we don't already know but a story is a story...

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/10/the-eagles-have-landed

GlennLover
07-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Just found this on my FB page. Nothing we don't already know but a story is a story...

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/10/the-eagles-have-landed

Where!s Bernie?
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/1Cdn/EBF94623-797B-46B0-89F6-BDFE44B699B6-169-0000000FA20356C2_zpse254df95.jpg

LOL! Proof that Bernie was photoshopped into this picture.

TimothyBFan
07-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Where!s Bernie?
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/1Cdn/EBF94623-797B-46B0-89F6-BDFE44B699B6-169-0000000FA20356C2_zpse254df95.jpg

LOL! Proof that Bernie was photoshopped into this picture.

I gasped at first but then realized totally different pic taken--one with and one without. Unless--is there another of the above with Bernie in it?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/eagles/Eagles2013program_zps311f9159.png

GlennLover
07-12-2013, 10:49 AM
I gasped at first but then realized totally different pic taken--one with and one without. Unless--is there another of the above with Bernie in it?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/eagles/Eagles2013program_zps311f9159.png

You're right! I hadn't gone back to lock at the picture with Bernie in it although I'm still not sure that he was actually there.

AEW21
07-12-2013, 11:40 AM
In the back of the program, there are like 6 pages of collages featuring the band rehearsing; behind-the-scenes candids. They're all in the same outfits as featured here, including Bernie in the surf "sex wax" t-shirt. ;). So I do think he was indeed there for this photo shoot. However it us no random placement that he's at the outskirts--easy enough to crop out for future non-Bernie related endeavors (or if any disputes erupt!) ;)

Brooke
07-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Gah! Don't even think it AEW! :nope: :hilarious:

Houston Baby
07-12-2013, 12:23 PM
However it us no random placement that he's at the outskirts--easy enough to crop out for future non-Bernie related endeavors (or if any disputes erupt!) ;)

:wink: Oh I hope NOT!! I want everybody to have a chance to see Bernie with them again! :guitar:

Thirsty&Hot
07-13-2013, 03:10 AM
They're playing Bethel Woods on July 25th. I'm hoping it's not too oppressive but you never know. The amphitheater is covered though, except for the Lawn Area, so it shouldn't be too bad! It's gonna be a hot one, but I'll try and muddle through. 8)

yes..that is another one of the reasons I wasn't eager to attend that one. my days of hot outdoor events are pretty much over. i don't know how the guys do it!
if it had been a cooler month or indoors, I would've been more apt to deal with having to travel and rent a room because that's a pretty small venue. i would've rather seen them there than MSG with my seats so damn far from the stage!

Tiffanny Twisted
07-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Okay folks, here's yet another Don interview that I don't find posted here. If it's a duplicate, my apologies. I intended to put it up here last week but got sidetracked.

http://www.cleveland.com/popmusic/index.ssf/2013/07/eagles_don_henley_on_the_dvd_t.html

I love this article and no I had not seen it.
I love reading his answers.Dh ..you can see why english was his major

AEW21
07-13-2013, 04:41 PM
Gah! Don't even think it AEW! :nope: :hilarious:

I was jut being a smartass! ;). I do assume it all comes down to Irving's maneuvering and all almighty $. I assume if they use Bernie's image in ads/promos, they have to pay him additionally. Hence making him easily crop-out-able in photos, and they don't have to worry about it.

I wonder if that's why Bernie wasn't in the pic where they all received jerseys from the Cavalliers. There was one there for him to hold....I bet for some odd Eagle-y business logic, they don't want him in ad images/photo ops because he's only a "special guest" and hence not "worthy" of full-tenured perks...? :shrug:

I would love to know his pay for the tour. You'd hope, him bring an original member, that they'd be somewhat generous. We can only hope. ;)

desperado
07-14-2013, 12:02 PM
yes..that is another one of the reasons I wasn't eager to attend that one. my days of hot outdoor events are pretty much over. i don't know how the guys do it!
if it had been a cooler month or indoors, I would've been more apt to deal with having to travel and rent a room because that's a pretty small venue. i would've rather seen them there than MSG with my seats so damn far from the stage!
Thirsty&Hot (Thirsty@Hot),
I think we'll be able to see. last night I was in the 100s at MetLife stadium for Taylor Swift (with my 14 yr old), and could see the stage. MetLife is way bigger than MSG. No worries, it will be just fine!

Henley Honey
07-14-2013, 12:30 PM

I'm kinda looking forward to working up a good sweat with the boys. :wink:

07-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Yeah HH - I'll bet you are! :twisted:

Thirsty&Hot
07-15-2013, 12:40 AM
Thirsty&Hot (Thirsty@Hot),
I think we'll be able to see. last night I was in the 100s at MetLife stadium for Taylor Swift (with my 14 yr old), and could see the stage. MetLife is way bigger than MSG. No worries, it will be just fine!

:D you always know how to make me feel better desperado! xo

Thirsty&Hot
07-15-2013, 12:44 AM
I'm kinda looking forward to working up a good sweat with the boys. :wink:

I almost died in the desert due to heat exhaustion, and ever since I've been super sensitive to excessive heat. plus i have asthma. it's probably mostly psychological, but I can't help it...still not fun for me to deal with.

however...really wish i could've made that Bethel show anyway! realized it wouldn't have worked out for me, being on a thursday anyway though. c'est la vie

VAisForEagleLovers
07-16-2013, 09:03 PM
I went back several pages and don't see this. It's from last week, before the Cleveland concert.

http://www.vnews.com/lifetimes/music/7377488-95/history-of-the-eaglesthe-band-the-machine

Outlawman13
07-17-2013, 07:35 AM
I love this article! Thank you VA!

Prettymaid
07-17-2013, 07:43 AM
Clearly written before the tour started, we can safely say the the last two paragraphs are not correct. No Henley solos, and the songs have been arranged to sound different from the original recordings.

TimothyBFan
07-17-2013, 07:52 AM
"Porn-stached Frey".:hilarious:

It is something that I don't think about much but when you see it in writing about SOOOOOO many hits coming from only 7 albums. Amazing!!

Topkat
07-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Hotel California vs Reelin' in the Years compete in best guitar solos of all time by Guitar World...Please vote for our guys!

http://www.guitarworld.com/greatest-guitar-solos-all-time-readers-poll-round-2-hotel-california-don-felder-joe-walsh-vs-reelin-years-elliott-randall

Prettymaid
07-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Voted! We're blowing them out of the water!

sodascouts
07-18-2013, 08:09 PM
Wow, who thought of this pairing? There is NO CONTEST.

Outlawman13
07-18-2013, 08:53 PM
LOL Hotel California all the way!!! Even though I love Reelin' In the Years, Hotel California is way better!!!

07-18-2013, 09:57 PM
I voted too. The pairings are based similarly to the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament - the weakest teams are paired against the strongest teams, which, of course, gives an advantage to advance to the stronger team (or in this case song). But, just like in the real world, I see there have been some upsets. I'm definitely going to follow this to see how far Hotel California gets. Of course, I would love to see it win, but will be happy if it makes it to the Final Four. Probably will only make it to the Elite Eight though because it is in the same bracket as Stairway to Heaven.

Thirsty&Hot
07-19-2013, 01:41 AM
what an easy choice!
I mean I do dig Steely Dan too, but you can't really compare those guitar solos!
Hotel California will blow away any guitar solo any time!

Prettymaid
07-20-2013, 08:46 AM
I voted too. The pairings are based similarly to the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament - the weakest teams are paired against the strongest teams, which, of course, gives an advantage to advance to the stronger team (or in this case song). But, just like in the real world, I see there have been some upsets. I'm definitely going to follow this to see how far Hotel California gets. Of course, I would love to see it win, but will be happy if it makes it to the Final Four. Probably will only make it to the Elite Eight though because it is in the same bracket as Stairway to Heaven.

Thanks for explaining it, Dreamer. I voted, but didn't take the time to read. :hilarious:

AEW21
07-20-2013, 01:00 PM
In honor of his birthday this past week, The Dissolve did a nice analysis (http://thedissolve.com/features/interdisciplinary/22-cameron-crowe-rock-journalist/) of Cameron Crowe's career as a rock journalist, and how it affected themes in his movies. A really great read, and several mentions the Eagles and of Glenn...

Crowe started contributing record reviews to the alt-weekly San Diego Door in 1971, at age 13. Within two years, he was writing about rock ’n’ roll for various national magazines, including Creem (edited by Bangs, a San Diego Door alum) and Rolling Stone. At Rolling Stone, Crowe eagerly grabbed assignments that other writers were too hip to take, writing appreciative profiles of platinum-selling artists with little critical credibility, such as Yes, The Eagles, and Crosby, Stills & Nash. In an interview with Brett Anderson for Nieman Reports, rock critic Robert Christgau suggests that Crowe’s rapid rise at a ridiculously young age happened because he was more openly starstruck than his peers. “A nice guy, I’m told,” Christgau says. “I’ve never met him. I believe it. He’s certainly a smart guy and a talented guy. But he saw that there was another way to do this, and it was… Cozy up to the stars and write pieces they’d like.”

In his 1990 book Rolling Stone Magazine: The Uncensored History, Robert Draper is more generous about what Crowe brought to the magazine, saying that if not for Crowe’s embrace of what was actually popular in popular music, “Rolling Stone might have trundled through the seventies like a blind man in a wheelchair.” According to Draper, Crowe was well-liked even by the rock writers who didn’t share his enthusiasm for feather-haired country-rock singer-songwriters, because he was such an upbeat fellow. That positive energy won over the musicians he covered, who treated him like their mascot: the embodiment of all those faceless fans screaming for them beyond the footlights. After a while, even artists who otherwise eschewed Rolling Stone—such as Led Zeppelin, Joni Mitchell, and Neil Young—agreed to be interviewed by Crowe.

prayfordaylight
07-24-2013, 12:54 PM
14 non-hits that show the Eagles are better than you think - http://www.avclub.com/articles/earlybird-14-nonhits-that-show-the-eagles-are-bett,100639/1/

Freypower
07-24-2013, 06:37 PM
One day an article like this will be written that acknowledges the existence of Long Road Out Of Eden. Most of the songs there are in my least favourite list.

07-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Well - I haven't had time to read the justifications for their choices, but I will say, it sure looks different from what my list would like. :shrug:

AEW21
07-25-2013, 01:35 AM
14 non-hits that show the Eagles are better than you think - http://www.avclub.com/articles/earlybird-14-nonhits-that-show-the-eagles-are-bett,100639/1/

I sorta love this list, even more that it's AV Club doing it. They're usually pretty anti-Eagles, so anything positive about them is pretty cool for them to publish. And I like that the inclusion of so many cuts from Desperado--people seem to be realizing that the new country/folk rock movement and sound of Dawes and Middle Brother and Avett Brothers and Ryan Adams and Iron & Wine, etc., can credit the Eagles for paving way. Nice for my fellow hipsters to see the roots of the sound.

And it stretches all across the 70s, which is great, nice range. The exclusion of LROOE I think stems from the fact that, at least for me, is that it's more of an album that is better appreciated after truly wallowing in their past catalog. It's not one to start off with right away. You can't appreciate their musical journey by starting at their end. And I don't know, I find LROOE almost too clean and pure and produced--pretty, but these cuts AV Club feel more organic and raw and "dirty" to me--more appealing to today's listeners looking for deep cuts looking for an exciting, accessible entry into the Eagles.

TimothyBFan
07-25-2013, 08:22 AM
Finally, recognition for Disco Strangler and Teenage Jail!!!! :headbang: I know others wont agree. ;) But Journey of the Sorcerer? :yuck: I don't much agree with this list either.

Topkat
07-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Eagles Hotel California named best 12 string guitar song of all time!!! YEAH BABY

http://www.guitarworld.com/top-30-12-string-guitar-songs-all-time?page=0%2C2

SilverMoon
07-25-2013, 03:49 PM
That's awesome! :grin:

Freypower
07-25-2013, 06:50 PM
I sorta love this list, even more that it's AV Club doing it. They're usually pretty anti-Eagles, so anything positive about them is pretty cool for them to publish. And I like that the inclusion of so many cuts from Desperado--people seem to be realizing that the new country/folk rock movement and sound of Dawes and Middle Brother and Avett Brothers and Ryan Adams and Iron & Wine, etc., can credit the Eagles for paving way. Nice for my fellow hipsters to see the roots of the sound.

And it stretches all across the 70s, which is great, nice range. The exclusion of LROOE I think stems from the fact that, at least for me, is that it's more of an album that is better appreciated after truly wallowing in their past catalog. It's not one to start off with right away. You can't appreciate their musical journey by starting at their end. And I don't know, I find LROOE almost too clean and pure and produced--pretty, but these cuts AV Club feel more organic and raw and "dirty" to me--more appealing to today's listeners looking for deep cuts looking for an exciting, accessible entry into the Eagles.

It is not about starting at the end. My objection was that no songs from LROOE were included at all. Also the list is in chronological order so there is even less excuse for excluding it. There are plenty of deep cuts from it such as Somebody & Business As Usual & even Guilty of the Crime that seem to fit the criteria you think they have used. Also I suppose it is just me but I can hardly describe songs like Earlybird or Train or Is It True as 'raw & dirty'.

WalshFan88
07-25-2013, 07:21 PM
Eagles Hotel California named best 12 string guitar song of all time!!! YEAH BABY

http://www.guitarworld.com/top-30-12-string-guitar-songs-all-time?page=0%2C2

The best guitar song of all time - period. Let alone 12-string... It's a guitar song.. Really awesome GW is putting them on there.

GlennLover
07-26-2013, 07:14 AM
Finally, recognition for Disco Strangler and Teenage Jail!!!! :headbang: I know others wont agree. ;) But Journey of the Sorcerer? :yuck: I don't much agree with this list either.

LOL, Willie, I thought of you when I read that!

sodascouts
07-26-2013, 09:42 PM
I think that list was designed to show off songs where the Eagles didn't "play it safe" and that apparently is supposed to give them more "cred" for being experimental.

Now, personally, I don't think crappy songs like "Disco Strangler" give you cred be they experimental or no! But that's just me. lol

07-26-2013, 10:44 PM
You could be right, Soda. Honestly, when I first saw the list, I thought it may be meant as a satirical joke because it is so far from the mainstream. It is very 'hipster' at the very least. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but, if you really want to pick a credible list of "14 non-hit that show the Eagles are better than you think", I can suggest probably 20 - 25 songs that may be better choices. Apparently, the band agrees because none of the songs on A.V. Club's list made it on The Very Best of the Eagles. There are a few songs on their list that I might agree with, but here are 14 others that may be a bit more reflective of the band's true talent ...

Doolin-Dalton Reprise
Good Day In Hell
James Dean
Ol' 55
My Man
Wasted Time
Try and Love Again
The Last Resort
King of Hollywood
Those Shoes
How Long
Waiting In the Weeds
Somebody
Long Road Out of Eden

JMHO!

AEW21
07-26-2013, 10:45 PM
It is not about starting at the end. My objection was that no songs from LROOE were included at all. Also the list is in chronological order so there is even less excuse for excluding it. There are plenty of deep cuts from it such as Somebody & Business As Usual & even Guilty of the Crime that seem to fit the criteria you think they have used. Also I suppose it is just me but I can hardly describe songs like Earlybird or Train or Is It True as 'raw & dirty'.

Ugh, I don't know how to explain it...to me, the songs they chose have a looser, more organic sound than LROOE. Some of the tracks chosen aren't perfect sounding, and that's fine. LROOE, very pretty and polished, is obviously the product of a people well-skilled in production techniques--it's well synced; the roughness is buffed away to smooth corners. Safe. You can tell the album has been worked upon until near-perfection was reached. Simply, the nature of the recording technology in the 70s makes the tracks the AV Club chose sound a bit warmer and more pulsing with energy--analog has a richer sound, even regained a bitt when transferred to digital. This is a list where they want to focus on the origins of the Eagles sound and musical evolution, and you're going to find that "raw" sound, naturally, in their 70s recordings.

Also, I the the list reflects a generational slant--I think the AV Club's target audience is people my age, mid/late-20s, to maybe late 30s, who have recently gone through the alt. country revolution and neo-folk revival--the Eagles songs they chose very clearly show the musical roots of what we hear now in Head and The Heart and Dawes and Grizzly Bear and even She and Him and Eleanor Friedberger. It's the long shadow of the Laurel Canyon music scene; the triumphs and trials of embracing adulthood, as seen in the voice of singer-singwriters. LROOE is simply more of a mature-audience-skewed album; it addressed the next stage of life and it's passions and pitfalls. I think the subtlies on LROOE would be lost on this crowd. Not that it only appeal to the "more mature," but I think it resonates more with the more sedate and settled. LROOE is about the journey--hence the "long road" of the title.

The songs the AV Club chose still speak to to a generation not even on the journey yet---we're still looking for the map. ;) These songs, even 40 years old, still can point the way and keep us company as we go toward Eden. :)

Prettymaid
07-27-2013, 09:04 AM
AEW, have I told you lately how much I enjoy reading your posts? Agree or disagree, I admire the thought you put into them. You always make me rethink. Are you a lawyer? Lol!

Houston Baby
07-28-2013, 10:22 PM
I wasn't sure where to put this & it may have already been discussed here since it occurred in 2010 but just in case........

I was looking at a magazine this weekend & there was an article @ the Junk Gypsies & their new world headquarters in Round Top TX. So I went to their website to check it out since we were so close to Round Top & stumbled across this blog entry for Oct. 15 2010 @ the Austin City Limits Festival when the Eagles were there.

http://junkgypsyblog.com/tag/austin-city-limits-festival/

So cool! As soon as their new place opens, I need to go. Wonder if they have any of the Hotel California stuff left.

07-29-2013, 01:50 PM
Good find, HB - I don't remember seeing this before. It was pretty cool indeed - such a lovely place! :twisted:

sodascouts
07-29-2013, 02:40 PM
Also, I the the list reflects a generational slant--I think the AV Club's target audience is people my age, mid/late-20s, to maybe late 30s, who have recently gone through the alt. country revolution and neo-folk revival--the Eagles songs they chose very clearly show the musical roots of what we hear now in Head and The Heart and Dawes and Grizzly Bear and even She and Him and Eleanor Friedberger. It's the long shadow of the Laurel Canyon music scene; the triumphs and trials of embracing adulthood, as seen in the voice of singer-singwriters. LROOE is simply more of a mature-audience-skewed album; it addressed the next stage of life and it's passions and pitfalls. I think the subtlies on LROOE would be lost on this crowd. Not that it only appeal to the "more mature," but I think it resonates more with the more sedate and settled. LROOE is about the journey--hence the "long road" of the title.

The songs the AV Club chose still speak to to a generation not even on the journey yet---we're still looking for the map. ;) These songs, even 40 years old, still can point the way and keep us company as we go toward Eden. :)

As a person still in this age group (for a few more years at least lol) I think what the AV Club is trying to appeal to in this particular article is a particular subset: the "hipster" group who wants to push against the mainstream and revels in the "experimental." Do you really think "Disco Strangler" is for people who are still looking for the map in this day and age? It's painfully dated. Its only "asset" is that it's not your typical Eagles song.

This reminds me of all the Lindsey Buckingham fans who think his best work is his most bizarre (and his solo albums get QUITE bizarre in the eighties). They're entitled to their opinion, of course, but it is not a majority one of any generation.

This list also reminds me of all the people that got into Green Day because of "Good Riddance" and then realized that was an aberration. I love that song, but I also appreciate other songs truer to the band's style like "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" and "American Idiot." This list of Eagles songs is not representative of the Eagles sound overall. I like the idea - trying to get people dismissive of the Eagles to give them a chance - but it's a bit misleading.

I do agree about much of LROOE being geared more towards the older, settled listener. Songs like "It's Your World Now", "Fast Company," and "Last Good Time in Town" are blatant about it. However, the guys are older; they're writing about their own experiences and feelings. One can hardly begrudge that. I can still find things to relate to in songs like "What Do I Do with My Heart", "Waiting in the Weeds," "You Are Not Alone," "How Long", "Somebody," etc.

And may I say that like PM, I love your posts AEW. :)

AEW21
07-29-2013, 03:14 PM
As a person still in this age group (for a few more years at least lol) I think what the AV Club is trying to appeal to in this particular article is a particular subset: the "hipster" group who wants to push against the mainstream and revels in the "experimental." Do you really think "Disco Strangler" is for people who are still looking for the map in this day and age? It's painfully dated. Its only "asset" is that it's not your typical Eagles song.

I agree--I think those last inclusions are the AV Club just trying to be out there and contrary to stir things up. I also think they're trying to demonstrate to readers who only view the Eagles as "soft rock" that they did venture into different sounds near the end of their 70s tenure--with mixed results. :dizzy:(Though Teenage Jail sort of grows on me...)

And I've been pondering more about LROOE--maybe it's wrong to say it doesn't play to all ages--I do think it resonates more deeply with more mature listeners, but like any good music, it transcends demographics and can speak to any age. But I don't think you can appreciate the album's production values and standard of lyrics unless you delved into their back catalog and can then see what a wonder it is they've kept up such high music output and quality over all these passing years. Listening to it without any knowledge of their past, I think, makes it a shallow experience to hear. You need to come to come to LROOE with a bit more Eagles under your belt, in order to appreciate their artistry through the years. And since this is basically a primer of Eagles tunes for young/unfamiliar listeners to check out, they're going to stick with songs that are more retro, in sound and production.

Soda's totally right, this is basically a hipster "Intro to the Eagles," so they're going to go indie and choose songs out of the ordinary, to appeal to their jaded ears. ;). And like I said, for the most part, I appreciate their choices--they draw a nice through-line from point A to point B in how the alt. country movement has grown from then to now. Good for us hipsters to know our history. And I'm sure LROOE's snub also comes from its corporate ties--the exclusivity deal with Walmart probably taints it in AV Club's eyes.

Aww, Thank you for all the kind comments on posts--no lawyer, but a freelance writer/copywriter, so I do well with word vomit. ;).

Now I'm going to sit patiently and wait for FP to come in this thread and yell at me for LROOE stance. ;)

07-29-2013, 04:06 PM
First of all AEW, I also enjoy reading your thoughtful posts even if I don't always agree with them. I love to read posts that are thoughtful, insightful, rational, fact-based, and objective such as the one you just wrote. Your posts are passionate without being emotionally-charged, which I very much appreciate. Even though I am far removed from the hipsters, you helped me understand where they are coming from. I absolutely see what you are saying about how they relate to LROOE even though I relate to it in an entirely different way.

And I can also relate to doing well with the word 'vomit'. I was ROFLMAO when I read that! :rofl:

sodascouts
08-05-2013, 01:06 AM
Joe, Glenn, Timothy, Irving Azoff and their bosom buddy Jim Dolan were spotted eating at Spago's in LA after the recent LA Forum press conference, according to the NY Post (http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/sightings_QprlJlmowcRdlfu89gXpqO?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=%0A%20%20%20%20%20%20Page%20Six).

secret squirrel
08-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Following on from the AV thing, here’s an article on the Eagles at http://www.salon.com/2013/08/08/quit_defending_the_eagles_theyre_simply_terrible/

I think you can imagine what its like. Basically, it’s saying that there are some ‘cool’ Eagles tracks (the less well-known ones naturally, some of them on the AV list) but any that were hits were too mainstream for any ‘cool’ person to like. Personally I loved the early albums and I love Long Road too (although I think it could have been a better single album than it is a double) and I love most of the hits too. Perhaps that’s because I don’t care whether or not I’m perceived as cool. I think the Eagles have always experimented a little anyway – albeit perhaps with an eye on the main chance – and I certainly don’t think of them as people with fewer principles than Gram Parsons or whoever. Or that they sold out. As Don H says they never shied away from social commentary.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/schmitten-part-one-flow-of-energy-was.html

Thirsty&Hot
08-13-2013, 05:18 PM
This article by Bill Simmons is fantastic!

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9562051/the-eagles-greatest-hit?ex_cid=facebook

Bill Simmons and I are basically the same person haha

This article could have been written by me.

and it includes this nifty illustration

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/Eaglesillustration_zps498f84ff.jpeg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/songbirdreleased/media/Eagles%20etc/Eaglesillustration_zps498f84ff.jpeg.html)

I just want to add...I'm not actually done reading it...it's kinda long and starts off strong!

"They were fucking famous for a reason" :D

08-13-2013, 05:53 PM
Thanks T&H - it's a great writeup. It has already been posted and commented on here ...

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3767&page=174

Thirsty&Hot
08-13-2013, 05:54 PM
Thanks T&H - it's a great writeup. It has already been posted and commented on here ...

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3767&page=174

oh really? it was just posted today...

Thirsty&Hot
08-13-2013, 05:55 PM
oh i see...on another thread...

Thirsty&Hot
08-13-2013, 06:00 PM
Thanks Dreamer!

Witchy Woman
08-14-2013, 12:52 AM
Bill Simmons' article was fantastic. The line "There's a reason you won five Arrogant Musician Douche-Off championship belts over the years." really made me LOL, and was worth the price of admission alone.

NYC Fan
08-14-2013, 08:37 AM
I laughed out loud a couple of times on the bus, reading that article. Don winning the "pretentious douche-off" because of his facial hair and condescending gaze was particularly funny to me, as was the Glenn Frey, Raconteur reason.

Very funny article...

MaryCalifornia
08-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Well, that just took up about an hour and a half, clicking on all of the links and reading all of the notes. Fun article.

Elizasong
08-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Great article!!

MaryCalifornia
08-15-2013, 10:21 PM
I too thought the "douche-off" language was hilarious, but didn't want to acknowledge it because I thought people on here would get mad at me.

Brooke
08-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Loved it! Particularly this line:

"Their music is harmlessly timeless" :lol:

That's for sure!

secret squirrel
08-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Here's one of those ‘it’s cool not to like the Eagles’ articles: http://www.businessinsider.com/11-reasons-why-the-eagles-are-overrated-2013-8

I don't know whether it’s a good idea to even post these on the board as it just means more people read this idiot’s opinion. To comment, you have to sing up for Business Insider, whatever that is so perhaps they’re simply hoping that lots of Eagles fans will get aerated and complain and their site will get more hits. My comment would have been:
Seriously??? Your objection to them is that they’re successful? Get over it!

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/schmitten-part-one-flow-of-energy-was.html

Glennsallnighter
08-18-2013, 02:03 PM
I like your sentiments SS!

sodascouts
08-18-2013, 04:10 PM
I agree that they are trolling with that kind of article, hoping its "controversial" nature will prompt fans to angrily respond. When "Reason Number 1" why they are lame is that some people like them and some don't.... well, let's just say this wasn't exactly a thought-provoking piece. The insults are so generic and uninspired they don't even anger me. They just make me roll my eyes, as well as sigh heavily at the smattering of inaccurate statements inevitable in articles written by non-fans largely ignorant of the band they are criticizing.

08-18-2013, 04:34 PM
Well - after reading y'all's comments, I think I'll save myself some time and pass on this one. As SS said, why bother giving the site a 'hit' by clicking the link when it's the same crap I've read numerous times before. Thanks for saving me some time, everyone! :grin:

GlennLover
08-18-2013, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I think that I'll take a pass too. :eyebrow:

UndertheWire
08-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Back in March, Billboard posted a chart of Eagles and solo hit singles, ranked by a formula based of chart position and number of weeks. Overall, there are no big surprises with Don Henley being the clear leader but Glenn Frey also with a strong showing . Maybe the biggest surprise is Hotel California coming in at #5 behind two Eagles songs and one apiece from Don H and Glenn.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/1550455/weekly-chart-notes-the-eagles-greatest-hits

I'd like to see the equivalent for the album charts.

Houston Baby
08-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Interesting....I hadn't seen this before. Thanks for sharing UTW!

08-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks for posting that, UTW. Very interesting stuff!

VAisForEagleLovers
08-22-2013, 09:10 PM
You have to be a member to read details, but someone used money they swindled from others to pay for lavish parties that featured several well-known bands including the Eagles.

http://www.palltimes.com/news/national/article_3ebd9fd8-fcb9-5f85-8af0-7d149da31545.html

sodascouts
08-23-2013, 10:46 PM
The man in question is David Brooks. The Ottawa Star's version of the AP article isn't behind a paywall, so you can view it here: http://www.ottawastar.com/david-brooks-sentenced-17-years-in-prison-for-185-million-stock-swindle/

Although the article just talks about generic "lavish parties" what they're almost certainly referring to is the infamous headline-making batmitzvah party David Brooks threw for his daughter back in 2005 that cost $10 million. The party's acts were big names including several classic rockers such as Tom Petty and Aerosmith as mentioned in the article. However, it wasn't actually the Eagles as a group that played there. It was just Don Henley and Joe Walsh. There was a controversy about it at the time because many viewed Brooks as a corrupt war profiteer (obviously concerns about his ethics were justified). Don responded by issuing a statement that he was donating his pay for the appearance to Walden Woods. I doubt the Eagles played any private parties for them after that debacle.

I thought we had posts about it here but couldn't find any upon a search. However, here are some articles about the party: http://www.scaryreality.com/all/10_million_party_for_13_year_old_kid.html
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/11/29/168449/-Mitzvahpalooza#

(Sad to say Stevie Nicks was also there. Despite the ignominious circumstances, it does mark the only time I know of that Joe Walsh and Stevie Nicks have played the same show since they toured together in 1983).

secret squirrel
08-26-2013, 12:14 PM
A blog not a press article.

Posted this on the Timothy thread but it’s really about all the Eagles and how they interact:

http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/schmitten-part-one-flow-of-energy-was.html (http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/schmitten-part-one-flow-of-energy-was.html)

Part Two is here:

http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/schmitten-part-two-sweet-talking-guy_25.html

Hope you find time to read.

SS
xx

GlennLover
08-28-2013, 08:44 PM
I got this in a Google alert. http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1430529

Maybe it should be in the thread about buying Eagles' tickets, but the reason that I am posting it here is a line in the write up on the band that is linked from the above article http://www.ticketdown.com/The-Eagles where another reporter doesn't get their facts right.

However, their reunion tour to mark their 40th anniversary is meant to make amends for the oversight and some of the misunderstandings. It will allow audiences to see the incredible contributions made by all five band members, including Don Felder (who had been fired from the band in 2001) but who rejoined for the tour.

Freypower
08-28-2013, 10:05 PM
I got this in a Google alert. http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1430529

Maybe it should be in the thread about buying Eagles' tickets, but the reason that I am posting it here is a line in the write up on the band that is linked from the above article http://www.ticketdown.com/The-Eagles where another reporter doesn't get their facts right.

Sloppy is the kindest word I can use. It is not difficult to check facts this basic. Good grief. They even quote Felder as if he is part of it although to be fair to him he speaks in past tense.

sodascouts
08-28-2013, 10:10 PM
Funny and sad at the same time!

UndertheWire
08-31-2013, 06:56 PM
Here are a couple of Eagles mentions in a blog (and possibly book) from 2011.

I remember one night I was standing outside the Troubadour bar getting my cool on, when Glenn Frey of the Eagles, walks over to me, looks down at my feet and says, “I don’t believe this shit!” At this point he and Randy Meisner wrestle me to the ground, remove my “sissified” boots and throw them in the middle of traffic on Santa Monica Boulevard! The last thing I remember, was all of us lying there in the street drunk with hysterics…or was it hysterically drunk?
As any good manager must be, Geffen is relentless in getting the most for his clients, and is always on my case to get more recordings on his artists songs. After the Eagles first album comes out, one my “Warner Raiders”, Bob Stabile, gets B.W. Stevenson to cut “Peaceful Easy Feeling”. B.W. just had a number one hit with “My Maria” and his cover of “Peaceful” becomes formidable competition to the original! Of course I knew why Geffen was freaking out, it’s always more important to have an artist make a hit with their own song than have somebody else do it! It broke my heart, however, when we had to stop the Hollies from recording “Witchy Woman” after they had a number one record “Long Cool Woman ( In A Black Dress)”, but there are millions at stake…not to mention my job!http://artiewayne.wordpress.com/2006/11/14/david-geffen-most-powerful-man-in-hollywood-and-how-he-got-that-way/

secret squirrel
09-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Haven't seen this yet. Found a thread for Former Eagles but none for Could Have Been an Eagle ... so will post it here. A short piece on J. D. Souther:

http://www.isthmus.com/daily/article.php?article=40798

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/schmitten-part-two-sweet-talking-guy_25.html

UndertheWire
09-02-2013, 12:38 PM
In a similar vein, I came across an interview with Jack Tempchin which, naturally, touches on the Eagles, Glenn Frey and gives a little background on Already Gone. I love these stories of people hanging out in small clubs, playing music and writing songs.
http://ocmusicscene.com/a-peaceful-easy-interview-with-jack-tempchin/

09-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Nice interviews, ss and UTW. Cool that they link to GlennFreyOnline in JD's interview and I remember reading Jack's interview a while back - pretty impressive to me that he went a couple of months writing a new song each day!

Freypower
09-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Haven't seen this yet. Found a thread for Former Eagles but none for Could Have Been an Eagle ... so will post it here. A short piece on J. D. Souther:

http://www.isthmus.com/daily/article.php?article=40798

SS
xx

We have a forum for discussing other artists called Singing For the Sake of the Song. The Souther thread is there.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=875

secret squirrel
09-03-2013, 10:23 AM
We have a forum for discussing other artists called Singing For the Sake of the Song. The Souther thread is there.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=875

Aha! Didn't realise that. And I've just seen the New Kid in Town thread. Should have intro'd myself on there. Too late now I guess.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013...ng-guy_25.html (http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/schmitten-part-two-sweet-talking-guy_25.html)

Freypower
09-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Aha! Didn't realise that. And I've just seen the New Kid in Town thread. Should have intro'd myself on there. Too late now I guess.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013...ng-guy_25.html (http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/schmitten-part-two-sweet-talking-guy_25.html)

You can introduce yourself in New Kid In Town any time you like. Many people have done that.:)

secret squirrel
09-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Never too late surely :) I am enjoying your Blog and am also a great lover of The Kinks, Frank Sinatra and of course the Eagles. 'Lazing on a Sunny Afternoon' used to be our party song :partytime:

Hi Lamorna,

Discovered the Kinks rather late (two years ago) but as you say - never really too late - so have intro'd myself on the NKIT thread. Finally!

Glad you're enjoying the blog.

SS
xx

GlennLover
09-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Got this in a Google alert: http: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/entertainment/movie-guide/Eagles+regain+that+peaceful+easy+feeling/8870240/story.html

secret squirrel
09-05-2013, 10:43 AM
From Bashful Badger:

Suddenly I have a whole new respect for One Direction. Well, not really. But still. Who would have thought?

http://bashfulbadgersblog.wordpress.com/2013/09/03/will-we-see-1ds-niall-horan-naked-at-eagles-show/

SS
xx

GlennLover
09-05-2013, 11:37 AM
From Bashful Badger:

Suddenly I have a whole new respect for One Direction. Well, not really. But still. Who would have thought?

http://bashfulbadgersblog.wordpress.com/2013/09/03/will-we-see-1ds-niall-horan-naked-at-eagles-show/

SS
xx

I had read that article before but I didn't know who One Direction was at the time. I have since learned about them so it was nice to read the article again with a different frame of reference. Thanks for posting.

secret squirrel
09-06-2013, 11:41 AM
In a similar vein, I came across an interview with Jack Tempchin which, naturally, touches on the Eagles, Glenn Frey and gives a little background on Already Gone. I love these stories of people hanging out in small clubs, playing music and writing songs.
http://ocmusicscene.com/a-peaceful-easy-interview-with-jack-tempchin/

Interesting especially this:

'Certainly for You Belong to the City and those songs, Glenn would make up all the bass parts and he would always try to do a signature part, like its own little melody, something unique to that song that you could recognize. I always thought that was pretty cool.'

Go, Glenn!

SS
xx

secret squirrel
09-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Another blog from someone who thinks it would be cool not to like the Eagles but actually does. I always think of these as weak people who are influenced by fashion. An ok read and good photo though.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2013/09/eagles_are_aight_man.php

Very critical of Glenn. I'm sure he and Don can both be difficult or cantankerous but if you're going to lay the blame for everything at his feet, you could just as easily hold him responsible for everything that went right.

And I love 'You Belong to the City'!

SS
xx

Freypower
09-11-2013, 05:45 PM
I am used to that sort of stuff now. It is nasty, uninformed & simplistic. People who only cite THIO, Sexy Girl & YBTTC have never actually listened to Glenn's other songs. They certainly haven't listened to After Hours. Glenn never did anything to any of these people & yet they all seem to personally resent him.

I couldn't see anything that was 'in defence' of the band except in the second last paragraph. 99% of it was an outpouring of hatred of Glenn. How is that defending them? What did I miss? Since when has ICYTW been 'disco' because Tim has a high voice? Why does this sort of stuff get published?

End of rant. :woah:

VAisForEagleLovers
09-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Joe and Felder make the top ten list of guitar solos in Classic Rock. Not sure how two people playing can be a solo, but I agree they belong on the list. Only higher up, of course.

http://www.wbig.com/pages/lisa.html?article=11644372

GlennLover
09-11-2013, 07:39 PM
I am used to that sort of stuff now. It is nasty, uninformed & simplistic. People who only cite THIO, Sexy Girl & YBTTC have never actually listened to Glenn's other songs. They certainly haven't listened to After Hours. Glenn never did anything to any of these people & yet they all seem to personally resent him.

I couldn't see anything that was 'in defence' of the band except in the second last paragraph. 99% of it was an outpouring of hatred of Glenn. How is that defending them? What did I miss? Since when has ICYTW been 'disco' because Tim has a high voice? Why does this sort of stuff get published?

I agree, Julie! I couldn't have said it any better!

secret squirrel
09-12-2013, 11:26 AM

I'm partial to a good rant.

I don't know why they assume that everything that went wrong is Glenn’s fault. I admire him. I love his voice and his songs. I don't think the Eagles would have done anything without him, his drive and ambition. It’s probably simply because he’s less circumspect, less tactful, more honest in fact that he bears the brunt of it.

SS
xx

secret squirrel
09-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Article about vinyl reissues:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2013/09/11/eagles-release-six-asylum-albums-in-vinyl-box-set/2800925/ (http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/schmitten-part-two-sweet-talking-guy_25.html)

SS
xx

WalshFan88
09-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Cool.

ETA: My comment was in reference to the release of the Vinyls.

Freypower
09-12-2013, 06:58 PM
I'm partial to a good rant.

I don't know why they assume that everything that went wrong is Glenn’s fault. I admire him. I love his voice and his songs. I don't think the Eagles would have done anything without him, his drive and ambition. It’s probably simply because he’s less circumspect, less tactful, more honest in fact that he bears the brunt of it.

SS
xx

Most of the criticism is not about how he ran the Eagles but about his solo career. But the line about him writing songs not out of creative necessity but to make the charts is deeply unfair. He also apparently only became a musician to become famous, as well. He is evil incarnate.

Cue the usual sheep afterwards with their 'the Dude was right' comments. Yawn. Why waste energy? If you don't like the band, don't comment.

ktdids
09-14-2013, 12:11 AM
Another blog from someone who thinks it would be cool not to like the Eagles but actually does. I always think of these as weak people who are influenced by fashion. An ok read and good photo though.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2013/09/eagles_are_aight_man.php

Very critical of Glenn. I'm sure he and Don can both be difficult or cantankerous but if you're going to lay the blame for everything at his feet, you could just as easily hold him responsible for everything that went right.

And I love 'You Belong to the City'!

SS
xx

This article seems to provide more evidence for the erosion of quality journalism and reporting in today's world. Anyone wonder why they decided to not be more open - drugs and other antics aside - to the press before?

secret squirrel
09-14-2013, 12:44 PM
From Winnipeg.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-and-life/entertainment/music/the-eagles-by-the-numbers-223729471.html

At least they're not just reprinting the press release.

SS
xx

Houston Baby
09-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Thanks SS! That article contained a wealth of information. :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
09-17-2013, 12:00 AM
I don't think I've ever heard the story of Steve Martin coming up with the band's name...

secret squirrel
09-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Here's an article/interview with Don. I haven't had a chance to read it all yet.

http://www.wmmr.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=2041478

SS
xx

GlennLover
09-17-2013, 12:26 PM
I don't think I've ever heard the story of Steve Martin coming up with the band's name...

Neither have I. The only reference that I have seen mentioning Steve in relation to the band's name was his appearance in the "Troubadours" documentary from a few years ago. Steve recalls that in the 70's that Glenn corrected him about the group's name telling him that it was Eagles not The Eagles. Steve commented in the doc that he thought that the name should be the latter. Maybe that's where the misconception in the article came from.:shrug:

Houston Baby
09-17-2013, 12:55 PM
I read Steve Martin's autobiography Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life and remember him recounting the exchange between him and Glenn at The Troubadour regarding the band's name. Glenn saying it was Eagles and Steve insisting that it should be The Eagles. I can imagine both of them sitting there feeling no pain discussing/disagreeing on what the name should be. I bet it would have been funny watching them. And as Steve says, he guess they did not do so bad with the name Eagles.

Steve also wrote that he and Linda Ronstadt went on a few dates. And @ the fourth date I believe, it was then that Linda asked him if he went out with girls & did not try to sleep with them. Steve went on to say they broke up "chaste".

It was a good book and Steve writes in a conversational manner which makes for easy reading.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Seriously...

http://www.wbig.com/pages/peter-skyy.html?article=11661475

GlennLover
09-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Thanks for that info, HB!

Thirsty&Hot
09-17-2013, 05:16 PM
This is crazy.

I can't even believe this is real... Gawker can be hokey, but it links to the original report in the article

Woman stabs roommate for refusing to stop listening to the Eagles (http://gawker.com/woman-stabs-roommate-for-refusing-to-stop-listening-to-1335462841)

NYC Fan
09-17-2013, 05:44 PM
This is crazy.

I can't even believe this is real... Gawker can be hokey, but it links to the original report in the article

Woman stabs roommate for refusing to stop listening to the Eagles (http://gawker.com/woman-stabs-roommate-for-refusing-to-stop-listening-to-1335462841)

That is pretty funny. Another Big Lebowski moment :-)

Houston Baby
09-17-2013, 06:20 PM
I heard the teaser on the radio coming home from work just now. I haven't heard the story yet but I thought please don't let it be the Eagles. I will never hear the end of it at work!:lol:

Thank goodness I don't have a roommate!

Glennsallnighter
09-17-2013, 06:23 PM
I have a husband..........

And a daughter........

And a son!........

Hilarious!!

Thirsty&Hot
09-17-2013, 06:25 PM
haha yeahh...I drove my boyfriend crazy with the doc, and I like to drive to the Eagles :) but I mostly listen to them with headphones or when he's not paying attention haha.
he likes them too, but I do tend to go overboard :D

and it's only funny cos the guy didn't die...i think it said she just stabbed him in the arm

sodascouts
09-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Oh, gosh. Absolutely insane!

Maybe he was listening to "Hotel California" and she took the whole stab-with-steely-knife bit literally.

Henley Honey
09-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Hubby has threatened to toss an Eagles CD out the car window once or twice but has never actually done it! He knows I'd be the one picking up the knife. I think crazy trumps annoyed any day. :spin:

Midnight Visitor
09-18-2013, 03:38 PM
Great slide show at the top of this new article:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-and-life/entertainment/music/no-heartache-for-admiring-eagles-fans-224025221.html

MaryCalifornia
09-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Those are great pics...I wish they would change it up and let the press photographers come in during the second half of the show, or the end of the first half, or the end of the second half, or something. The good photos we get to see are of the same four songs over and over. I'd like to see different outfits, different video screens, etc...Oh well, at least they allow the press photographers at all!!

thelastresort
09-18-2013, 05:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JlmvtAHhnc

Nobody did it better than the Big Lebowski. But then, nobody has ever done films better than the Coen Brothers.

Heard that line millions of times but never seen the actual film of it. Love the cabby's reaction :lol:

VAisForEagleLovers
09-18-2013, 06:27 PM
My brother texted me this afternoon, he'd heard about it on a radio station. Said the DJ said afterwards that the woman should have been stabbed for not liking the Eagles. He said he thought I'd agree with the DJ, so he'd let me know about it!

Freypower
09-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Those are great pics...I wish they would change it up and let the press photographers come in during the second half of the show, or the end of the first half, or the end of the second half, or something. The good photos we get to see are of the same four songs over and over. I'd like to see different outfits, different video screens, etc...Oh well, at least they allow the press photographers at all!!

While I totally agree with this, I will take what I can get, because sadly this leg has not been especially well represented by photos.

Midnight Visitor
09-18-2013, 06:59 PM
I like Joe in red so I'm all for those photos!

prayfordaylight
09-19-2013, 07:56 AM
A friend sent this to me: "Woman Stabs Roommate Who Wouldn't Stop Listening To The Eagles: Cops"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/17/vernett-bader-stabs-roommate-ex-the-eagles_n_3943852.html

NYC Fan
09-19-2013, 08:42 AM
A friend sent this to me: "Woman Stabs Roommate Who Wouldn't Stop Listening To The Eagles: Cops"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/17/vernett-bader-stabs-roommate-ex-the-eagles_n_3943852.html

Some of the comments after this article are quite funny. While I can't relate to hating the Eagles, I can relate to the sentiment. I had a roommate in college who played The Talking Heads, Speaking in Tongues album every day for an entire semester. I actually liked them before I lived with her, by haven't been able to listen to them since. I hate that song Burning Down the House to this day, and that was 30 years ago :-)

VAisForEagleLovers
09-19-2013, 10:41 AM
I'm simply amazed at how many people have texted me, emailed me, called me, and Facebooked me about this article! Even my company's customer reps have emailed me links to the article!

09-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Yeah - This is just sad. At first, I actually thought it may be a joke. But sadly, it isn't and this could have had a tragic outcome. Fortunately, the injuries inflicted were minor, and because of that, we can poke fun at it. Some of the comments for the articles are funny once you filter through the lame and trite ones.

Thirsty&Hot
09-20-2013, 10:17 AM

This article is funnier than the one I posted about this a couple of pages ago. I like how the author integrated Eagles' songs into the story haha.

Midnight Visitor
09-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Normally I'd be happy to see Joe Walsh come across my feed on Facebook but unfortunately lately it's just been this same stupid story. I'm ready for it to go away now. Why does the stupid stuff hang out the longest and the good stuff get buried!?!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Some nice comments by Bernie and Don.

http://www.wmmr.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=2053045

MaryCalifornia
10-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Oh how funny that the author decided to include the pronunciation of Bill the producer's last name and then got it WRONG. Sizz-Mick. Classic.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Oh how funny that the author decided to include the pronunciation of Bill the producer's last name and then got it WRONG. Sizz-Mick. Classic.

I had a good laugh over that myself!

sodascouts
10-02-2013, 12:52 AM
That article gets its quotes from this:

http://music.msn.com/fall-music-guide-don-henley-eagles-history-tour/feature/story/

And yes, that helpful phonetic mispronunciation is pretty ironic!

secret squirrel
10-04-2013, 11:28 AM
This should probably go in pre-tour but I can't find a subject header for it and don't want to start one ...

http://www.denverpost.com/music/ci_24225962/modern-look-at-eagles-before-their-pepsi-center?source=rss

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/some-called-it-country-some-called-it.html

Freypower
10-04-2013, 06:07 PM
This should probably go in pre-tour but I can't find a subject header for it and don't want to start one ...

http://www.denverpost.com/music/ci_24225962/modern-look-at-eagles-before-their-pepsi-center?source=rss

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/some-called-it-country-some-called-it.html

I copied it to the thread for you.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-23-2013, 10:23 PM
I read last evening that the Westboro Baptist Church was planning on 'protesting' the Eagles concert tonight in KC, but I read it on Fark, which says they aren't really news. So I didn't know if I should believe it. It appears to be true, they are posting like crazy on Twitter. Purely awful. I love our boys and I hope they are insulated from it. At least if that's true, then these faux-Christians aren't out protesting some poor soldier's funeral. Still, what will it take for these people to go away?

sodascouts
10-23-2013, 10:47 PM
They protested Fleetwood Mac, so I can see them doing the Eagles as well. They are such an embarrassment to real Christians, especially Baptists!

SilverMoon
10-24-2013, 12:37 AM
Here are two recent interviews with guitarist Joe Satriani.

Don Felder and Joe Walsh are mentioned in the first one:

http://www.ontourmonthly.com/qa-joe-satrianin-vinny-cecolindavid-huff/

OTM: I recently spoke with former Eagles guitarist Don Felder who once asked band mate Joe Walsh, “Why would you put your successful solo career on hold to join a band?” Walsh explained that it was like night and day. As a member of a band, he wasn’t responsible for everything. Do you experience the same thing with Chickenfoot?
Ironically, I am staring at a copy of Felder’s bestselling autobiography Heaven and Hell. For some reason, during the last couple of months, I’ve been on this Joe Walsh and Don Felder thing. I have been collecting vintage Fender amps. I’m a big fan of Don’s playing and I am a huge Joe Walsh fan.

The Eagles and Don Felder are mentioned in the second one:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/joe-satriani-2013-interview/

Satriani’s eyes light up at a random mention of former Eagles guitarist Don Felder, and he says that he’s spent the past couple of months revisiting the catalog of the legendary California band and, in particular, he’s been examining Felder’s work on those records. The conversation reveals that, at the center of everything, Satriani is still a music fan like the rest of us, searching through albums, songs and liner notes to uncover the stories.

secret squirrel
10-24-2013, 11:05 AM
I copied it to the thread for you.

Thanks, Freypower. I'm gradually getting the hang of this, I think.

SS
xx

secret squirrel
10-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Something silly:
http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/rftmusic/2013/10/eagles_motivational_poster_memes.php

And a concert review that I can't find a thread for:
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/24/4573145/the-eagles-give-a-boisterous-sprint.html

Excuse underlining, can't get it to stop.

SS
xx

Prettymaid
10-25-2013, 11:07 PM
Something silly:
http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/rftmusic/2013/10/eagles_motivational_poster_memes.php

And a concert review that I can't find a thread for:
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/24/4573145/the-eagles-give-a-boisterous-sprint.html

Excuse underlining, can't get it to stop.

SS
xx

Try un-highlighting the underlined U at the top of your posts. Hope that's all it is!

secret squirrel
10-27-2013, 01:26 PM
Try un-highlighting the underlined U at the top of your posts. Hope that's all it is!

Thanks, PM. I did that but it didn't make any difference. I highlighted the text that was underlined first then then clicked the 'U' to take it off ...

At least it's gone now.

SS
xx

SilverMoon
10-31-2013, 01:01 AM
Bruce Gaitsch is a guitarist and songwriter who co-wrote many songs on two of Timothy’s albums, Timothy B. (1987) and Tell Me the Truth (1990). Here’s his Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Gaitsch

Last week, Bruce posted this comment on the Eagles Fastlane Facebook page:

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y502/SilverMoon333/TF/3_zps03d66867.jpg?t=1383163872

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=564517440287475&set=a.387635061309048.90039.139841996088357&type=1&theater

VAisForEagleLovers
10-31-2013, 07:40 AM
Bruce Gaitsch is a guitarist and songwriter who co-wrote many songs on two of Timothy’s albums, Timothy B. (1987) and Tell Me the Truth (1990). Here’s his Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Gaitsch

Last week, Bruce posted this comment on the Eagles Fastlane Facebook page:

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y502/SilverMoon333/TF/3_zps03d66867.jpg?t=1383163872

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=564517440287475&set=a.387635061309048.90039.139841996088357&type=1&theater

This Halloween decor has me scared! The only links I see are to a wiki page and a fansite facebook page. If there's a link to an article, I don't see it.

sad-cafe
10-31-2013, 08:08 PM
I didn't miss him at all

VAisForEagleLovers
11-02-2013, 07:52 AM
Their Greatest Hits (1971 - 1975) made Ultimate Classic Rock's top ten greatest hits albums.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/greatest-hits-albums/

Brooke
11-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Best selling album in history and here it sits at #6!

Actually, I'm surprise they made this list at all! :roll:

VAisForEagleLovers
11-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Best selling album in history and here it sits at #6!

Actually, I'm surprise they made this list at all! :roll:

Yes, UCR doesn't give a lot of love to our guys as a general rule.

Freypower
11-02-2013, 05:25 PM
'Before the drugs, egos & cynicism completely consumed them'. That was unique to the Eagles, was it? Give me a break.

UndertheWire
11-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Here's a new interview with Jack Tempchin. I know he has his own thread, but this is mostly about the Eagles and Glenn.

http://tolucantimes.info/section/one-on-one/one-on-one-with-jack-tempchin/

VAisForEagleLovers
11-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Good interview! My favorite line:

I also think [choosing that song] is a measure of Glenn as a guy; others would want to write their own songs. I notice this over and over – the guys with true greatness are always very, very generous with everybody else. Others don’t do that because they can’t get past themselves…

Tiffanny Twisted
11-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Really a very nice article
I agree with va bout the quote about glenn..very sweet and true
Now that being said I am gonna stop by at whole foods this afternoon and see if I can buy me some peaceful easy wine........

Brooke
11-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Great interview! He sounds like a really nice guy!