View Full Version : Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13

sodascouts
07-21-2014, 09:48 PM
I hadn't thought about closing the thread and starting a new one, but it is getting a bit long!

Thirsty&Hot
07-21-2014, 10:05 PM
I hadn't thought about closing the thread and starting a new one, but it is getting a bit long!

oh I thought I remembered you saying you did that around the 200th page
haha :shrug:

sodascouts
07-21-2014, 11:13 PM
I do that for games and photo threads for sure. I just don't think I've done it for a press thread before. I'll have to check. I have such a bad memory!

Thirsty&Hot
07-22-2014, 08:17 PM
ahh alright!

haha I have a bad memory too

it's funny though because we can remember lots of things about the Eagles and other bands we like, right?
I'm always amazed at my capacity to remember the lyrics to a song I haven't heard in years as soon as it starts playing.
and lots of other trivial things

sodascouts
07-22-2014, 08:28 PM
Seriously. My memory for just about everything else in the freaking world sucks - even important life events are fuzzy - but put on my favorite tunes and I can sing along to every word.

And I think that even though this is a big fat thread, I won't split it up. This way, it's more searchable - if you're trying to find an old article, you only have to search in one thread.

UndertheWire
07-23-2014, 10:33 AM
I wasn't looking for mentions of the Eagles. I'd been listening to Wishbone Ash and decided to look for an interview with Martin Turner and picked the first one that came up on google and down near the bottom was this:

Martin Turner I actually mainly used a Fender Precision on There’s The Rub. Bill Szymczyk who was producing it who I would probably rate as my all time favourite producer, he’s recorded some of the greatest rock pop songs. Life’s Been Good To Me (Joe Walsh), the stuff he did with the Eagles, I rate him I really do and it was fantastic to work with him. He actually wanted to work with an English guitar band, The Who were on his list, we were and we hooked up, we said yeah we’d love to. It was the first album we were going to be recording in the USA so we went off to do it. He was a little bit upset that Ted had left and Laurie had replaced him but we were like don’t worry about it Bill it’s the same Wishbone Ash, ish rather. So because it was the first album in America and because the reason he wanted to work with us, it’s like industrial espionage really, he needed to find out how we went about getting these guitar things and it was very simple basically we spent a huge amount of time on recording the guitar lines, the trademark, the harmony guitars and the solos. We had a fantastic collection of amplifiers and guitars at that point and we put a lot of time in to it. He actually said if I can get the guitars from your band and the voices from the Eagles I could make the greatest hit record, and that’s exactly what he did. We literally finished that album There’s The Rub and he, The Eagles were already in town, they used to come out and eat with us and they started recording Hotel California in the same room the day after we finished. I can hear the tricks that he learnt from us about guitars, the solos in Hotel California for instance. I can hear the sound of the room it’s uncanny.
GibsonBass It must be quite surreal to listen to that album and you can probably relate to Hotel California quite specifically because of the recording.
Martin Turner Very much so. They come down, rent the same villa that we’d stayed in. I thought they did an absolutely fantastic job on that album, I don’t relate to it as him ripping off our ideas at all quite the opposite it was stimulating. I learnt a lot of stuff from Bill Szymczyk and recording in America, tricks that I still use to this day and I think equally we showed them some of the experimentation, non orthodox ways of going about getting guitars it was a good trade really and to this day Hotel California is one of my favourite albums, I chuck it on now and again.There rest of the interview has interesting detail on how they wrote the songs, song-writing credits etc.

Sorry, I forgot the link: http://www.flyguitars.com/interviews/martinturner3.php

Houston Baby
07-23-2014, 12:31 PM
Thanks UTW! Great read! :thumbsup:

Thirsty&Hot
07-23-2014, 06:44 PM
nice find! I love it when Eagles are where I least expect them! :)

sodascouts
07-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Interesting - thanks, UTW!

Ive always been a dreamer
07-26-2014, 12:24 PM
Good find, UTW - and Martin and I have something in common because to this day Hotel California is one of my favorite albums, too! :thumbsup:

DJ
08-16-2014, 04:05 PM
Was just reading an article about the Eagles on the Fans of the Eagles FB page, it's very good everyone should check it out. It talks about how the younger generation hates the Eagles, too bad for them they have been brain washed with some of this garbage they call music. It's a good read for anyone, take a look. I'd have posted the link but couldn't manage to get it over here.

thelastresort
08-16-2014, 05:10 PM
http://kamertunesblog.wordpress.com/2014/08/10/a-friendly-discussion-about-the-eagles/

I think there's a difference between liking and respect. For example, I cannot abide the Beatles (to the point where I refuse to be in the same room if their music is being played), however I respect what they did for music and just how huge they were. Ditto Led Zepp, ditto the Stones, ditto Metallica etc. I think it is very shallow to judge a whole band's discography on the behavior or personalities of its prominent members - you can't have success to the level the Eagles, Beatles, Who, Pink Floyd etc had without being some degree of an arrogant ar*ehole. But it's the strong, headlong determination of Glenn and Don H. and their not so pleasant (at times) actions that have made them into one of the biggest bands of all time (arguably the biggest American band ever) with nine figure sales numbers who still sell out 99%+ of every gig they do in huge arenas. In all fairness to the others they wouldn't, I don't think, have left such a huge legacy if it had been the sweet TBS, timid Randy or nonchalant Joe at the forefront of the band.

You could argue until the dawn that the Eagles made music irrelevant (which I think they admit themselves), they were money-grabbing greedy corporates or that Henley, Frey or whoever else is a monumental such-and-such but at the end of the day, as much you may detest them you cannot deny them their success. I think the Big Lebowski-esque attitude sums up a lot of it: I do wonder if a lot of the 'I hate the f***ing Eagles, man' sentiments are because they can't stand slow, country rambling like Lyin' Eyes, or because they genuinely hate them as an entity.

sodascouts
08-16-2014, 07:20 PM
I went on the web to try to get support for my view, and could only find sites like “The Eagles Suck” and “Why the Eagles Suck” and “Stop Defending the Eagles”, etc. etc.Too bad he missed us! lol!

Actually that claim about only finding negative sites is BS. I went and tried to find a site CALLED "The Eagles Suck" and there wasn't one. He might be one of those guys that gets confused about the difference between a site and an article on a blog, I guess, but the statement is very misleading.

However, the fact that a younger generation of music critics doesn't find the Eagles "cool" (based on this anecdotal evidence, which may or may not be representative of majority opinion) is nothing new. The Eagles NEVER got their props from critics, and anti-establishmentarians will always eschew what has mainstream success. One of the respondents touches upon this by mentioning "hipsters"; any self-respecting hipster would tell you they much prefer some obscure indie band to the Eagles! The bigger a band is, the more people will hate on them.

As someone who teaches college, I can tell you most of my students don't really have a clue about the Eagles until you name some hits. Then, they'll say, "Oh yeah, I like that song." Most of them just talk about current music. The Eagles aren't really on their radar. Certainly, they don't rail against the Eagles. If they're hating on a band or musician, it's usually the likes of Justin Bieber.

WalshFan88
08-16-2014, 07:23 PM
Was just reading an article about the Eagles on the Fans of the Eagles FB page, it's very good everyone should check it out. It talks about how the younger generation hates the Eagles, too bad for them they have been brain washed with some of this garbage they call music. It's a good read for anyone, take a look. I'd have posted the link but couldn't manage to get it over here.

Glad to not be a part of that demographic.

shunlvswx
08-16-2014, 08:17 PM
Me too, Austin. Heck I was born the year they broke up.

thelastresort
08-16-2014, 09:04 PM
I was born the year after Hell Froze Over! ;)

08-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Too bad he missed us! lol!

Actually that claim about only finding negative sites is BS. I went and tried to find a site CALLED "The Eagles Suck" and there wasn't one. He might be one of those guys that gets confused about the difference between a site and an article on a blog, I guess, but the statement is very misleading.

However, the fact that a younger generation of music critics doesn't find the Eagles "cool" (based on this anecdotal evidence, which may or may not be representative of majority opinion) is nothing new. The Eagles NEVER got their props from critics, and anti-establishmentarians will always eschew what has mainstream success. One of the respondents touches upon this by mentioning "hipsters"; any self-respecting hipster would tell you they much prefer some obscure indie band to the Eagles! The bigger a band is, the more people will hate on them.

As someone who teaches college, I can tell you most of my students don't really have a clue about the Eagles until you name some hits. Then, they'll say, "Oh yeah, I like that song." Most of them just talk about current music. The Eagles aren't really on their radar. Certainly, they don't rail against the Eagles. If they're hating on a band or musician, it's usually the likes of Justin Bieber.

I pretty much agree with your post, Soda. From my experience, most of the younger generation that I come into contact with like the Eagles music when they hear it. And for all of our Border 'youngsters', I applaud you all for your excellent tastes in music. I, myself, was reborn after HFO. :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
08-17-2014, 01:42 PM
Dreamer, I think you put the wrong smiley on your post. I think you meant :lie: Jus' sayin'. ;)

WalshFan88
08-17-2014, 01:59 PM
I was born in '88, so they were already broken up..... I would have been about 7 around the time of the first HFO tour.

secret squirrel
08-27-2014, 04:20 PM
My latest blog is a riposte to all those 'cool to hate the Eagles' articles.

It's here: http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/kick-em-when-theyre-up-backlash.html

Hope you get the time to read it.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/kick-em-when-theyre-up-backlash.html

08-27-2014, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the link, SS. That was a very interesting commentary ... and suffice it to say that I agree with just about everything you wrote. :thumbsup:

tjh532
08-27-2014, 11:53 PM
Well said, SS!

UndertheWire
08-28-2014, 05:10 AM
Here's one member of the press who gets it. The Huddersfield Examiner looks back to July 1996 when the Eagles played Huddersfield (England) on the HFO tour. It has good pictures.
http://www.examiner.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/eagles-flew-mcalpine-stadium-huddersfield-7671974

Houston Baby
08-28-2014, 08:07 AM
Love the pictures! Thanks for sharing UTW!!

secret squirrel
08-28-2014, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the link, SS. That was a very interesting commentary ... and suffice it to say that I agree with just about everything you wrote. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Dreamer and TJH!

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014...-backlash.html (http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/kick-em-when-theyre-up-backlash.html)

Brooke
08-28-2014, 12:00 PM
ss, enjoyed reading your blog!

utw, thanks for that link, too! Great pics! Don H's shirt was quite different for him! Glenn is still doing that over shirt thing. Tim in red crushed velvet?! :lol:

bluefeather
08-28-2014, 12:41 PM
wonderful pictures thanks a lot utw

Freypower
08-28-2014, 06:38 PM
ss, enjoyed reading your blog!

utw, thanks for that link, too! Great pics! Don H's shirt was quite different for him! Glenn is still doing that over shirt thing. Tim in red crushed velvet?! :lol:

Just as in Christchurch except the shirt there was green. I can't remember what he wore in Sydney on that tour. Glenn wore that shirt.

thelastresort
08-28-2014, 07:46 PM
All the times I've seen the McAlpine Stadium as I passed through Huddersfield and I never knew the Eagles graced it! Seems a bit of a small place for them to play, especially as you have the likes of Sheffield, Leeds and Manchester close by but I suppose 40,000 is a decent capacity.

UndertheWire
08-29-2014, 01:28 PM
My latest blog is a riposte to all those 'cool to hate the Eagles' articles.

It's here: http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/kick-em-when-theyre-up-backlash.html

Hope you get the time to read it.

SS
xx
Thanks for that but I want more!
You've challenged the idea that new bands are being kept out by the old ones but there are so many other reasons given for hating the Eagles. I'd love to read your take.

zeldabjr
08-29-2014, 02:42 PM
thanks for posting those pics UTW...loved them...

thanks for the blog SS...loved it...and agree with it all the way...

Thirsty&Hot
08-29-2014, 06:50 PM
Greatest Hits on the Eagles (http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-22985-permalink.html)
an article with the worst things ever said about the Eagles.

A band doesn’t sell 40 million copies of a greatest-hits record without having a few fans.:cheers:

“Gram [Parsons] famously referred to their music as ‘a plastic dry-fuck.’ He bore the Eagles a special loathing, as any listener might.” —David Meyer, author of Twenty Thousand Roads

I didn't know Gram didn't like them...he was only around for maybe 2 of their albums. I love Gram, but awwww c'mon.

ha! at the last quote in the article.

and the comments .... :argue: :headshake:

Freypower
08-29-2014, 09:15 PM
'As any listener might'.

Well, no, sir. YOU might. You and your sad hipster friends or critics or whatever you call yourselves. However to claim that your opinion must therefore be shared by everybody else smacks of the same lazy arrogance the Eagles are accused of purveying.

And as for quoting THIS:

“I hate the fucking Eagles, man.” —Jeff Lebowski, aka “The Dude”

as if it is an actual quote by a real person; it's fiction. It is from a movie script, just as the Seinfeld stuff is fiction. So why does it continue to be quoted over & over again? If you are going to say how much you hate the Eagles at least attempt to come up with something original or an actual bad review, or whatever. Just stop wheeling this dead horse out EVERY TIME.

Sorry, but occasionally the (I repeat) laziness of this stuff gets me. :censored:

tjh532
08-30-2014, 02:00 AM
Well, this article is from Portland, and that explains a lot. Ever seen the show Portlandia? It perfectly mocks the self-important hipsters who inhabit that city. Not to paint with too broad a brush, because there are some perfectly nice normal people there. But to write a snarky article about all the nasty things people have said about someone? Pretty immature. It doesn't show how clever or smart you are, just how rude. That's what passes for humor these days.

UndertheWire
08-30-2014, 10:00 AM
There's a follow-up review (http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-32111-live_review_the_eagl.html) from that paper in which he declares the concert as "not horrible!". (I know it's technically a review but it says more about the writer than the concert).

08-30-2014, 03:58 PM
ITA UTW - That guy is not nearly as cool as he thinks he is. :headscratch: See, he secretly likes the band, but doesn't want to be uncool by admitting it. :wink: :wink:

Thirsty&Hot
08-30-2014, 05:33 PM
ITA UTW - That guy is not nearly as cool as he thinks he is. :headscratch: See, he secretly likes the band, but doesn't want to be uncool by admitting it. :wink: :wink:

I think you're right about that!!

secret squirrel
08-31-2014, 04:21 PM
Thanks for that but I want more!
You've challenged the idea that new bands are being kept out by the old ones but there are so many other reasons given for hating the Eagles. I'd love to read your take.

Thanks, UTW and Zelda. More to come. It's just that I got really annoyed by the attitude in that article and had to write something. Next Eagles blog's going to be Glenn all the way but since he's someone people love to hate, it might have relevance.

SS
xx

UndertheWire
08-31-2014, 04:33 PM
Thanks, UTW and Zelda. More to come. It's just that I got really annoyed by the attitude in that article and had to write something. Next Eagles blog's going to be Glenn all the way but since he's someone people love to hate, it might have relevance.

SS
xx

Now that's a subject to get me going! I look forward to reading it.

08-31-2014, 11:11 PM
Me too!

WalshFan88
09-02-2014, 08:03 PM
Here's a story of an early Iron Maiden guitarist being fired for liking the guys.....

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/iron-maiden-dennis-stratton-fired/

I know personally speaking I get so tired of defending the band with some of my guitarist friends, especially in guitar forums....

sodascouts
09-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Unbelievable!!

thelastresort
09-04-2014, 06:01 AM
I cannot abide Iron Maiden.

Anyway, I do have to be honest, it does seem a tad weird. Why would someone be sacked for listening to a band? There must be more to it...

I saw this mentioned on a documentary on them ages ago, I'll try and dig it out, but there's literally nothing more to it than him saying 'They didn't like me because I was listening to stuff like the Eagles'.

As for all the other articles with desperate music journalists posting quotes from a fictitious film to prove a dislike of a band: bore-off you absolute berks. I can see why the guys did not care for Rolling Stone etc if this is what constitutes music journalism.

WalshFan88
09-04-2014, 05:58 PM
I actually love early heavy metal but I don't like Iron Maiden and never have. I'm more of a Judas Priest, solo Ozzy with Randy Rhoads, etc kind of guy.

Freypower
09-04-2014, 06:32 PM
There was also a story that Glenn Matlock was fired from the Sex Pistols because he liked the Beatles.

thelastresort
09-04-2014, 06:57 PM
I'm more of a Judas Priest ... kind of guy.

:partytime: My second favourite band ever. I never really liked the way Maiden, AC/DC etc were so grand; selling out stadiums of 40,000 people in Argentina felt really artificial when you consider where heavy metal came from both socially and musically. Much prefer the grittier old-school bands like Priest, Black Sabbath, even some of the NWOBHM bands like Witchfinder General and Tygers of Pan Tang: it feels much more genuine and true than stupidly-gimmicky stage props in front of thousands upon thousands of people who probably only know three of your songs but are there because it's essentially a huge party.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Hey guys I hope this is in the correct place if not feel free to move it.

this weeks people magazine with Angelina jolie on the cover has a piece on Tim McGraw :smitten: that says:
Tim McGraw the songs of my life.

The Eagles I can't tell you why '" is one listed.
"I' m a huge Eagles fan. They're probably at the top of my list of favorite music ever !! This one is simple and sincere. It was the go to song in junior high for making out"

Well I knew I always liked that guy but now with his great taste in our fave band ...he only got better in my eyes.

Houston Baby
09-05-2014, 08:33 AM
:thumbsup: Tim McGraw!

Brooke
09-05-2014, 10:02 AM
I knew I liked you Tim, now more so! He has fantastic taste in music! :thumbsup:

Tiffanny Twisted
09-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Yep gals , I agree

shunlvswx
09-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Go Tim!!! I always loved Tim's music. Plus he married a fellow Mississippian.

MaryCalifornia
09-07-2014, 02:45 PM
This is great! The DJ in Kalamazoo who pushed Best of My Love in 1974 will meet the guys backstage tomorrow night.

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/09/longtime_kalamazoo_dj_to_meet.html

Houston Baby
09-07-2014, 07:38 PM
This is great! The DJ in Kalamazoo who pushed Best of My Love in 1974 will meet the guys backstage tomorrow night.

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/09/longtime_kalamazoo_dj_to_meet.html

How cool is that! :thumbsup:

09-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Very!

I sure hope they post about their experiences at the show.

Brooke
09-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Very cool for him! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
09-08-2014, 02:43 PM
Well-deserved, too - he really helped get the ball rolling for them!

zeldabjr
09-08-2014, 03:40 PM
very cool...I hope there will be some follow up info after the concert!!

GlennLover
09-09-2014, 01:59 PM
very cool...I hope there will be some follow up info after the concert!!

At least Glenn gave him a shoutout at the concert

The first set touched on “Tequila Sunrise” and “Desperado,” and featured spotless renditions of “The Best of My Love,” “Lyin’ Eyes” and “Take it to the Limit.” Frey, a native of Royal Oak, explained how Kalamazoo disc jockey Jim Higgs helped break “Best of My Love” to mainstream audiences, the song eventually becoming a No. 1 national hit; introducing “Lyin’ Eyes,” he joked that it was “dedicated to my first wife, Plaintiff.”

Here is the link to the article: http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/09/concert_review_the_eagles_nost.html

cynd1231
09-09-2014, 02:37 PM
It IS cool! I'm pretty sure he talked about it in Omaha too. Would love to hear Jim Higgs' comments about all of it now that he's been honored with a personal meeting!

cynd1231
09-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Not sure if this is the right thread but thought I'd throw it in here. Admins feel free to move it if there's a more appropriate place. Joe made a brief appearance on The Today Show this morning!

http://www.today.com/video/today/56034910#56034910

MaryCalifornia
09-12-2014, 11:19 AM
This is all too much! Kazoos at the Eagles concert? Eagles fans doing the ice bucket challenge?? You guys are going to have a blast on the 18th - do the challenge AFTER the show, video it, and send it to JD and Joe and Matt Lauer. Maybe the arena will help you set it up, with buckets, etc...! Borderers representing!! Thanks, Cynd!

Topkat
09-12-2014, 12:01 PM
I just heard this morning that Jim Dolan is opening the show tomorrow night

cynd1231
09-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Rumor has it that Dolan and company are opening the next FOUR shows which would be Allentown, MSG, Boston and MSG.

Brooke
09-12-2014, 03:16 PM
Not sure if this is the right thread but thought I'd throw it in here. Admins feel free to move it if there's a more appropriate place. Joe made a brief appearance on The Today Show this morning!

http://www.today.com/video/today/56034910#56034910

Too funny! Kazoos at the Eagles concert? The guys are gonna love that! :hilarious:

And Matt asked Joe whether Jim was a better guitar player or businessman and he said businessman! :lol:

You guys that are going to MSG are in for a treat....JD and the Straightshots! :wink: :lol:

MaryCalifornia
09-12-2014, 10:07 PM
Here is an article from Billboard - seriously, 6,000 kazoos?! Those people are going to play along to the Eagles songs, you can't help it, when you hear the music, have had some cocktails, and have a stinkin' kazoo in your sweaty hand! It's like vuvuzelas. I can't believe Don and Glenn agreed to this, especially at MSG. Shows their love for JD!

So, to which Eagles song would you most like to hear some kazoo accompaniment? Harmonica intro to DD/DR? TITTL? ICTYW? Too funny :rofl:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6251394/james-dolan-eagles-madison-square-garden

Zanny Kingston
09-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Thanks for that MC- pretty crazy- and you are 100 percent correct- some of the fans, with a few drinks in them, will be playing along to the Eagles songs - I hope they reconsider that kazoo idea- for the sake of the folks that are paying good money to hear the Eagles not JD and the straight shot.

ktdids
09-13-2014, 12:11 AM
So I'm watching Letterman show for no particular reason, and suddenly Dave starts asking Paul about hearing some Eagles music. Apparently some couple in the audience is going to tomorrow night show, and Dave has said he's going with them. Wants to know how much it will cost to play Eagles music. They can't play ANY of it - license issues! Dave starts to blame Irving, and then he proceeds to ask Paul to guess how much it would cost if they played one song - supposedly $250K! Crazy! I was waiting to hear Don and Glenn get hammered for this, but it didn't get that far!

cynd1231
09-13-2014, 12:23 AM
Kazoos should be used for Already Gone....or Funk #49!

tjh532
09-13-2014, 10:54 AM
Thanks for that MC- pretty crazy- and you are 100 percent correct- some of the fans, with a few drinks in them, will be playing along to the Eagles songs - I hope they reconsider that kazoo idea- for the sake of the folks that are paying good money to hear the Eagles not JD and the straight shot.

I agree with this....as funny as the thought of 1000s of Kazoos buzzing along to some of the Eagles songs is, I'd be pretty mad if I had paid all that money to go see them and had to listen to that all night!

I do have a funny picture in my head of the guys getting madder and madder with every song when people won't stop playing them :)

VAisForEagleLovers
09-13-2014, 10:58 AM
Yes, I'm not happy about this! I'm not pleased that this is the NYC show that I'm going to. I'm already planning out the six drinks, four Advil, and earplugs that will be required to deal with three kazoos, let alone this amount. If I hadn't already spent a fortunate in airfare, I'd consider selling my ticket.

GlennLover
09-13-2014, 12:50 PM
I just read an article about Jim Dolan & he stated that he would give $100,000 to ALS if 6,000 people played kazoos to one of his songs. I don't remember the name of it. Are people asked to play along with the Eagles too!?

VAisForEagleLovers
09-13-2014, 01:00 PM
I just read an article about Jim Dolan & he stated that he would give $100,000 to ALS if 6,000 people played kazoos to one of his songs. I don't remember the name of it. Are people asked to play along with the Eagles too!?

No, but if they have them in their hot little hands, they will anyway. I'm in like row 7 or something, so while I'm sure security will stop people, it'll be distracting. I'm all for what Dolan is doing, and playing along to one of his songs for the cause would be fun and amusing. It's the rest of the night that makes me grimace.

thelastresort
09-13-2014, 02:00 PM
I had to look at what a kazoo was but if I'd shelled out in excess of £100 to see them and had a load of people playing a damn mouth whistle as an accompaniment I'd be very p*ssed off. Stupid idea.

Shadowland07
09-13-2014, 03:08 PM
I don't know where to post this but here it goes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvOmtEmIiUk

Thought it was a bit funny but at the same time interesting

Shadowland07
09-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Found pt 2 or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuVM2T--jg4

Blame everything on Irving Azoff

Thirsty&Hot
09-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Watch David Letterman Taunt The Eagles’ Lawyers (http://www.stereogum.com/1705094/watch-david-letterman-taunt-the-eagles-lawyers/video/)

Elizasong
09-14-2014, 10:19 PM
Wow! The Eagles camp has rules and regulations all over the place!! I was rooting for them playing and paying but I live how it ended.

OutlawManNJ
09-15-2014, 02:49 AM
Watch David Letterman Taunt The Eagles’ Lawyers (http://www.stereogum.com/1705094/watch-david-letterman-taunt-the-eagles-lawyers/video/)

Thats great. ThANKS FOR That amazing how when you are teased you want it real bad

Brooke
09-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Too funny! :hilarious:

And one of the guys in the background thought Timothy N. Schmit released ICTYW as a solo single! :roll:

sodascouts
09-15-2014, 03:53 PM
I just read an article about Jim Dolan & he stated that he would give $100,000 to ALS if 6,000 people played kazoos to one of his songs. I don't remember the name of it.

Well, hopefully he will donate the money to ALS regardless of how many are blowing on kazoos during his song. I think it's a gimmick to get people in to hear him, since most folks have been skipping his opening act. Must be hard on the old ego. Presumably an additional duty for the MSG security guards that night will be kazoo confiscation after Dolan leaves the stage.

I hope for the sake of those going that they're successful in getting all those kazoos back or keeping them silent... although maybe if forced to endure a couple hundred kazoo solos while they attempt to sing their hearts out, the Eagles will finally realize that they need to learn how to say the word "no" to James Dolan.

Maybe I sound a little cranky, but I've been trying to find reviews of the Saturday show and all I see are articles about Dolan. It tends to get frustrating. You can't blame the press for focusing on it when Dolan was giving interviews before the show to promote himself. Grrrrr.

cynd1231
09-15-2014, 04:36 PM
I never cease to be amazed at the media's 'selective exclusion' of coverage for certain shows. This tour is unique because of the format and the sad truth is it may be the end of the touring road for this great band (I pray I ain't so) - two excellent reasons for the press to be all over the arenas for every single show.

Dolan has pull in NYC by virtue of his wealth and status so he probably paid for his publicity. And we all know the Eagles are above that sort of thing. Thro in 9/11, Fashion Week and The Great White Way and our guys didn't rank too high on the list apparently. And yet Cher's illness/cancellations/reschedules and Stevie Wonder's upcoming concert dates have been all over the A&E section of various NYC papers. IMO it's shameful that a band of the fame of the Eagles didn't warrant so much as a single picture or honorable mention! (Omaha was the same way. The publicized in advance but I have yet to see a single word about the actual event!)

MaryCalifornia
09-15-2014, 06:16 PM
Do you think members of the NYC media are attempting to continue the "feud" between the Eagles and NYC from the '70s? Whether the writer/publication was around during that time or not? You guys would know if prior tours got a reasonable amount of press...maybe the Eagles are overexposed due to their prior shows on this tour and the upcoming show. And, it can't help that they're aligned with James Dolan!

VAisForEagleLovers
09-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Everyone should keep in mind that the Eagles played NYC three times last November and the newspapers were all over it. It's the same show.

Conversely, while JD opens for the Eagles often, he didn't when they played 'his' arena, MSG. Also, folks in NYC love to hate JD because the Knicks suck and the Rangers went to the finals last year and then got blown out by the Kings. So of course the press would take the golden opportunity handed to them by reviewing JD's show and finding it less than stellar. If that's the press's mindset, it's just as well they didn't review our guys.

cynd1231
09-17-2014, 09:19 AM
Excellent point, VA. I'd rather have nothing than have than have them write a mediocre or bad review.

Save travels and have fun at Thursday's show.

UndertheWire
09-24-2014, 09:16 AM
It's a quiet day, so here's an interview with the long-time bartender at Dan Tanas - he's the one seen in the documentary.
http://www.lamag.com/liquidlablog/behind-bartender-michael-gotovac-dan-tanas/
The Eagles part:

Speaking of the Eagles, did they write their song “Lying Eyes” here at the restaurant?
Yes, Glenn Frey and Don Henley would sit at Table 4. One night they witnessed a young woman hitting on a much older man. So they immediately grabbed a cocktail napkin and jotted down the lyrics, “Look at her, she can’t even hide those “Lyin’ Eyes,” which became one of their signature songs. She obviously had another agenda while warming up to him. And they wrote that song here that night.

Brooke
09-24-2014, 10:07 AM
Love those stories! Thanks UtW!

sodascouts
09-24-2014, 09:17 PM
Next time I go to Dan Tana's (whenever that may be), I'm asking to sit at Table 4!

09-27-2014, 11:38 AM
Thanks for posting that interview, UTW - I also love reading this kind of stuff. And Soda, it's definitely Table 4 on my next visit to Dan Tana's as well. :thumbsup:

UndertheWire
09-27-2014, 12:30 PM
Here's an interview with Bill Symszyck. I'm guessing from around 2008/2009 but it could be later.
http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/show_interview.php?id=916

Amongst the Eagles stuff, he says:
- at first he didn't want "to do some country band."
- he originally was against the idea of Joe Walsh joining the Eagles.
- Bernie left of his own volition.
- Felder's book - "was pretty true, concerning the stories and the animosities – he did not exaggerate all that much."
- "Face Dances was the roughest album I have ever made. It was worse than The Long Run."

He also talks in more detail about how they wrote the songs on the later albums.

I'll let him off the comment about Randy pouring a beer over Glenn because he says he wasn't there and heard about it later.

It's also nice to read my old crush, Jay Ferguson, is a wonderful dude (even if he gets called Joe in that sentence).

09-28-2014, 09:45 PM
Very interesting read, UTW. If it's been posted before here, I don't remember it. And yep - he definitely got confused about the beer story.

Elizasong
09-30-2014, 10:58 PM
Very cool stories!!

secret squirrel
10-02-2014, 11:25 AM
Looking forward to reading all those anecdotes when I get time!

Here's something I got today:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/music/2014/09/30/eagles-albums-best-hotel-california-one-nights/16485703/

Schmit spelt wrong. Grr. Not sure how anyone could favour The Long Run over Desperado.

SS
xx

Houston Debutante
10-02-2014, 05:13 PM
Catching up on the links, thanks to those posting them, really interesting.

UndertheWire
10-03-2014, 02:30 PM
Forbes magazine has a contributor who "writes about the intersection of music and business". Glenn Frey and David Geffen get a couple of mentions.
I have to admit that I was surprised by her conclusion.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ruthblatt/2013/10/11/rockin-is-my-business-part-3-what-gets-lost-when-musicians-become-businesses/

sodascouts
10-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Interesting article. I'm sure Irving Azoff would agree!

UndertheWire
10-08-2014, 04:12 PM
NYC_Fan posted this in the Jackson Browne thread. I hope it's ok to repost here as he talks about the Eagles writing process and his relationship with the band. He brings it to life.
http://m.thenation.com/article/181883-eric-alterman-and-katrina-vanden-heuvel-interview-jackson-browne

sodascouts
10-08-2014, 05:56 PM
No - that's fine! This made me laugh:

Jackson talking about the lyrics Glenn wrote for Take It Easy: "Only Glenn would've had the girl slowing down to take a look at him."

;)

VAisForEagleLovers
10-08-2014, 06:59 PM
I'm gonna guess it was easy for him to write because it had happened to him so often!

Glennhoney
10-08-2014, 08:07 PM
No - that's fine! This made me laugh:

Jackson talking about the lyrics Glenn wrote for Take It Easy: "Only Glenn would've had the girl slowing down to take a look at him."

;)
..bahahaha...love this...:hilarious:

UndertheWire
10-09-2014, 06:50 AM
I cackled at that one.

I was surprised that Jackson said he'd have liked to have been in the Eagles. I can't think that he's serious or that David Geffen would have accepted it. I read somewhere that at one point JD, Jackson and Glenn were considering a band together, pre-Eagles (it's in one of the Canyon books and told by someone who they called to play with them at one point).

VAisForEagleLovers
10-09-2014, 09:07 PM
Dan Tanas is celebrating 50 years, and in noting the celebration, Don and Glenn get a mention.

http://bhcourier.com/george-christy-talks-about-bob-dylan-dan-tanas-restaurant-glen-frey-and-more/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

sodascouts
10-09-2014, 09:40 PM
I've always wondered how they were able to chill in Dan Tana's in the mid 70s without getting mobbed!

zeldabjr
10-09-2014, 10:53 PM
very cool...if I ever get to LA...must go there!

Brooke
10-10-2014, 10:03 AM
Same here! A must see!

Glennsallnighter
10-10-2014, 07:05 PM
Soda, myself and FP did go there after Glenn :heart:'s After Hours concert in the Wiltern. I remember sitting there thinking how much it was a part of musical history and thinking about Lyin Eyes being composed there.

Happy Birthday Dan Tanas.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-12-2014, 01:25 PM
The Eagles and Don Felder made this 'best of' concert list.

http://m.heraldextra.com/entertainment/the-skinny-the-envelope-please/article_98fe0dba-daea-5727-815d-bc4aff99178c.html?mobile_touch=true

bluefeather
10-12-2014, 02:41 PM
:thumbsup: of course they're great but it's good to see them in a journalist's top three:partytime:
and hooray for Sir Paul at the top spot:applause:

10-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Thanks VA! Looks like that guy has good musical taste!

And Happy Anniversary to Dan Tana's. The food is excellent there - I can see why they've stayed in business for so long. :cheers: to another 50 years!!!

SilverMoon
10-23-2014, 07:40 AM
Here's an interview with Bill Symszyck. I'm guessing from around 2008/2009 but it could be later.
http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/show_interview.php?id=916

Amongst the Eagles stuff, he says:
- at first he didn't want "to do some country band."
- he originally was against the idea of Joe Walsh joining the Eagles.
- Bernie left of his own volition.
- Felder's book - "was pretty true, concerning the stories and the animosities – he did not exaggerate all that much."
- "Face Dances was the roughest album I have ever made. It was worse than The Long Run."

He also talks in more detail about how they wrote the songs on the later albums.

I'll let him off the comment about Randy pouring a beer over Glenn because he says he wasn't there and heard about it later.

It's also nice to read my old crush, Jay Ferguson, is a wonderful dude (even if he gets called Joe in that sentence).

Thanks for posting that interview. I had already read it. I think it’s from 2012. Yes, Bill Szymczyk got confused during the interview when talking about Randy and the beer-pouring story. Anyway, he says that the stories told in Heaven and Hell are true. He certainly knows a lot of things about the band since he worked with them for years.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Well, he said they were 'pretty true', and that Felder didn't exaggerate all that much. Which means he did exaggerate some. So I still take them with a grain of salt, and of course, Szymczyk wasn't there for what I recall as the worst bits, which is when they were on the various tours, rather than recording.

Everybody has their own truth and their own perceptions of what things happened and why. Add a lot of drugs, alcohol, and lack of sleep and I'm surprised they can remember anything.

thelastresort
10-23-2014, 12:50 PM
That reminds me, Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath guitarist, born about a mile from where I reside) mentions in his autobiography that they used the same recording studio as the Eagles after they had done a session for Hotel California - apparently before they started they had to clean coke off the mixing desk before they could even use it!

Edit - I love the coincidence that the post that takes me onto 666 posts is about Black Sabbath! :lol:

Brooke
10-23-2014, 01:02 PM
tlr, now that's just creepy! :fear:

Freypower
10-23-2014, 05:58 PM
Well, he said they were 'pretty true', and that Felder didn't exaggerate all that much. Which means he did exaggerate some. So I still take them with a grain of salt, and of course, Szymczyk wasn't there for what I recall as the worst bits, which is when they were on the various tours, rather than recording.

Everybody has their own truth and their own perceptions of what things happened and why. Add a lot of drugs, alcohol, and lack of sleep and I'm surprised they can remember anything.

Agreed.

UndertheWire
10-25-2014, 03:22 PM
There's some interesting stuff in this interview from when they were at the London Sundance screening of the documentary. A lot of it seems familiar but not all, so I think it's just fuller coverage of the press conference they gave.
http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/cinemas/the-eagles-interview-feature-interview-4729.html

GlennLover
10-25-2014, 11:13 PM
There's some interesting stuff in this interview from when they were at the London Sundance screening of the documentary. A lot of it seems familiar but not all, so I think it's just fuller coverage of the press conference they gave.
http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/cinemas/the-eagles-interview-feature-interview-4729.html

Thanks for posting, UtW. I only remember bits of it. I don't think I have ever seen the entire article.

10-26-2014, 02:17 PM
I don't remember reading that entire interview either. Great find, UTW. I'm going to post the link in the Sundance thread as well.

ktdids
11-03-2014, 12:32 AM
There's a little snippet in USA Today weekend magazine, Vintage Vinyl, where these two music experts talk about their favorite Eagles songs. There's a link to watch them discussing their picks. It's at USAweekend.com. They're fans, but don't know much about the band outside of Joe, Don and Glenn. They're picks were both familiar yet had a few refreshing differences.

11-03-2014, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the headsup, ktdids. Although they do get a few details wrong, it was entertaining to watch. Here is the link to the video:

http://www.usatoday.com/experience/weekend/entertainment/vintage-vinyl-the-eagles-10-best-songs/17996699/

sodascouts
11-04-2014, 02:38 AM
Thanks!

UndertheWire
11-17-2014, 11:01 AM
Jackson Browne gives some insight into the Eagles/Geffen relationship, amongst other things.

http://www.theartsdesk.com/new-music/10-questions-songwriter-jackson-browne

Topkat
11-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Great article, thanks for posting~

Brooke
11-17-2014, 02:36 PM
I really enjoyed that too! Thanks!

I'm also going to put that in Jackson's thread as I have something to mention about him.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Thanks, UTW!!

Topkat
11-20-2014, 10:11 PM
Here's part of an interview with Linda Ronstadt mentioning the Eagles:thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6TuyuPrxpU&feature=share

sodascouts
11-20-2014, 10:12 PM
Thanks for that!

Roey
11-21-2014, 12:10 AM
Thank you TopKat. That was a nice interview. Your post diverted me to youtube where I watched the interviews at the Connaught Hotel in London, the 2014 LA Forum concert and on and on ...amazing how much material is available ...saw my favorite TBS singing ICTYW at one of his solo performances...can't get emough of the music...

Funk 50
11-21-2014, 07:30 AM
Not big on content or accuracy but the Tampa Bay Times' "Stuck In The 80s" has been featuring the Eagles all this week.

There are several articles down the page;

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/80s/

"Of the seven official members of The Eagles, six of them went on to hit the singles charts in the ‘80s"

Freypower
11-21-2014, 07:43 PM
Not big on content or accuracy but the Tampa Bay Times' "Stuck In The 80s" has been featuring the Eagles all this week.

There are several articles down the page;

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/80s/

"Of the seven official members of The Eagles, six of them went on to hit the singles charts in the ‘80s"

As we wrap up Eagles Week we apologize to omitting Glen Frey, but your videos were few and your songs rather bland.

I suppose there is nothing to be done about this except to say that the inevitable misspelling is probably deliberate in this case (although it is spelt correctly further on). It would appear they didn't even bother actually finding out how many videos Glenn made & made no attempt to listen to his work. Epic FAIL.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-22-2014, 12:40 AM
Found this on Twitter, I've never heard of this 'news agency', so I can't speak to its veracity. Other articles on the site aren't quite so poorly written, so it may be legitimate.

http://newsnyork.com/the-eagles-don-henley-glenn-frey-sue-long-island-man-for-cashing-in-on-bootleg-concert-footage/

ETA: Same from the NY Daily News, only with the picture and without the ads stuck in the middle.
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/eagles-sue-man-cashing-fake-concert-footage-article-1.2019689

ktdids
11-22-2014, 10:03 PM
In the daze of my morning radio wake up today, I remember hearing about this, and thinking What is this guy doing that Don and Glenn need to do this?!

11-23-2014, 01:53 AM
According to the articles, what the man is doing is charging admission to allow people to view bootlegs - in other words, he is profiting from illegally obtained video. They would probably overlook the fact that he had the bootlegs if he wasn't cashing in on them.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-23-2014, 02:09 AM
Yes, and it's not like they just decided to sue the guy. There was more than one Cease and Desist letter involved and the guy refused. He's obviously not very bright, besides being a crook. The article implies he has concert footage from more than one concert. Now, whether it's more than one HOTE show, more than one Eagles show, or what, we don't know. Anybody who deals with charging people to view bootlegs knows without a doubt they are violating copyright laws. To me, the Cease and Desist letters were warnings, or giving him advance notice of what was coming. They could even be viewed as a kinder, gentler method of asking him to stop. He has to know that what he was doing is illegal, yet he refused to stop. The man either thinks he's untouchable, or, as I said, he's not very bright.

UndertheWire
11-23-2014, 08:32 AM
It looks like he's an enthusiast who likes to share his collection rather than out to make money (the ticket prices are from free to $11m so may just cover costs). Apart from copyright, the issue may be that he does his own restoration. It's not just the Eagles, it's The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, The Kinks, Chicago and so on.

Here's something about a Beatles show he put together
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikje9YS8Lag

He doesn't come across as being much different to a fan making bootleg videos available on a website so unfortunately this could end up looking like big, bad millionaire rockstars bullying the little guy.

For me, this is a tricky one. I support an artist's right to protect their copyright and yet I love to listen to and watch the old recordings. If the artist was to release the footage, I'd be willing to pay.

shunlvswx
11-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Like I said on Facebook. At least Don and Glenn(and probably Irving too) give you a warning before they sue. I agree, VA. They are being nice with cease and desist letter. IMO They are the stupid ones to continues. People should know by now that Don and Glenn will sue your butt very quick if you continue to use their name or product.

Freypower
11-23-2014, 06:18 PM
It looks like he's an enthusiast who likes to share his collection rather than out to make money (the ticket prices are from free to $11m so may just cover costs). Apart from copyright, the issue may be that he does his own restoration. It's not just the Eagles, it's The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, The Kinks, Chicago and so on.

Here's something about a Beatles show he put together
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikje9YS8Lag

He doesn't come across as being much different to a fan making bootleg videos available on a website so unfortunately this could end up looking like big, bad millionaire rockstars bullying the little guy.

For me, this is a tricky one. I support an artist's right to protect their copyright and yet I love to listen to and watch the old recordings. If the artist was to release the footage, I'd be willing to pay.

He is profiting from the work of others, and he isn't the artist. Just because he is providing a service the Eagles themselves refuse to provide doesn't make it right.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-23-2014, 08:19 PM
I think something good can come of this!! If they realize that he's doing this because people WANT to see the HOTE show on film, perhaps they'll release their own DVD (and accompanying CD) of it!! Let's all think positively about this... Maybe one reason they are suing the guy is because they're already planning on it.

For those who say the typical "these guys are all about the money", keep in mind they started with a Cease and Desist. I doubt they are really after the money, they are after the bootleg source files and the principle of the thing. Unfortunately, the only avenue open to them to make him stop is to sue him, since he ignored their request.

Elizasong
11-23-2014, 09:44 PM
This is really scary but interesting case. What is the regulation for playing a film at a legitimate movie theatre???? Looks like there is none and if someone doesn't know any better they will go to the theatre and pay money to see this footage. I would definitely go see his films If I didn't know any better. It's even more interesting with the Isley Brother's footage he obtained. They gave it to a church and he got it from them. Could the Isley Brothers then sue if he shows that footage in a theatre??

UndertheWire
11-24-2014, 04:50 AM
He is profiting from the work of others, and he isn't the artist. Just because he is providing a service the Eagles themselves refuse to provide doesn't make it right.
I'm sure we all understand that the Eagles own the copyright to the material and that they are unlikely to have given Shelley permission to show it in public. Whether it was for profit is (probably) irrelevant. However, someone attending the event might reasonably assume that neccesary permissions had been obtained.

The second part is how we, as individuals, feel about watching bootleg material. I can only talk about myself. I'm not interested in cheap rip-offs or in shaky footage of recent concerts but I could be tempted by vintage footage. Most people who post to a fansite like this breach copyright - we reproduce photos or blocks of text without the permission of the copyright holder - but that doesn't mean we believe we have a right to do so and I imagine a "cease and desist" notice would be enough to make us stop.

The upside of this suit is that it shows there is a demand and maybe that will encourage Don Henley, Glenn Frey et al to issue official archive material.

11-24-2014, 11:30 PM
Well said, UTW.

Funk 50
11-25-2014, 06:52 AM
This case is surely going to cost the band more money than they can recoup from the "little guy"

I'm kinda pleased he's ignored the Cease And Desist requests. At least he's not pissing off as many fans as the people, who ignore the band's requests not to use their phones and cameras during live shows, do.

The ideal out of court settlement, in my humble opinion, is the Eagles, employ this guy as a promoter, they supply him with authorised concert footage and the band take all the proceeds, or is that too simple?

I can't help thinking that all the bluster about intellectual property is really futile, "the old order clinging to the reins" or "you can't put the Genie back in the bottle" to quote Henley.

All the 70s > 90s musicians should be thankful that they surfaced at just about the only time in history when recording music was actually financially lucrative.

thelastresort
11-25-2014, 08:31 AM
I highly doubt it would be the ideal outcome if they employed him - it legitimises and creates incentives for what he does, which is exactly what Henley, Frey et al are against! It also demonstrates that what is, let's be honest, wrongdoing, can sometimes come with reward instead of penalty.

More generally, I find it interesting that if the guys are as money-oriented as they are made out to be, why they haven't cashed in on it yet with DVDs: they sat on the HOTE bonus concert footage for 35 years when they could easily have released the whole thing separately and charged an extra £20 ($31.36 ;))...

VAisForEagleLovers
11-25-2014, 08:32 AM
All the 70s > 90s musicians should be thankful that they surfaced at just about the only time in history when recording music was actually financially lucrative.

I've heard this argument before by others, and while there's something to it, when you think about the reasons why recording music is not financially lucrative now, it's a very sad commentary on society. So no, I don't think they should just be thankful and leave it alone and allow it to become futile. As a person whose livelihood depends on the writing and licensing of software, I absolutely believe in the concept of intellectual property and copyrights. I wish others had the morals and integrity to do the same. It's time for all people to just stop saying 'everyone does it' and realize it doesn't matter, it's still wrong.

Everyone should remember that the measure of a person's character is what they do when no one else is looking. Those with character also stand up for what's right, even if it makes them look 'uncool'. I happen to think that standing up for yourself and for those who can't stand up for themselves IS pretty cool.

Freypower
11-25-2014, 06:09 PM
I highly doubt it would be the ideal outcome if they employed him - it legitimises and creates incentives for what he does, which is exactly what Henley, Frey et al are against! It also demonstrates that what is, let's be honest, wrongdoing, can sometimes come with reward instead of penalty.

More generally, I find it interesting that if the guys are as money-oriented as they are made out to be, why they haven't cashed in on it yet with DVDs: they sat on the HOTE bonus concert footage for 35 years when they could easily have released the whole thing separately and charged an extra £20 ($31.36 ;))...

And why did they never release an LROOE tour DVD, and why have they not released an HOTE tour DVD?

And then they act all shocked when this sort of thing happens, while they continue to stick their collective heads in the sand. Some bands like Rush release a Blu Ray for every singe tour they do (although they tend to change their setlists around more).

thelastresort
11-25-2014, 07:28 PM
And why did they never release an LROOE tour DVD, and why have they not released an HOTE tour DVD?

Indeed - I can't really comment on the LROOE tour as I wasn't as into the Eagles all that much back then, but I would have thought if the Eagles were ever able to flog a DVD it would be one of this tour. Of course they may not announce it until it's finished next March, but even then they would say something at the concert like TBS does in Melbourne. Of course they may film Down Under next year, but I can't imagine they'd release two consecutive DVDs from the same country, especially as surely a filmed History concert would be more appropriate in the likes of California, not some random city in Europe or Oceania.

We can but live in hope I guess...

WalshFan88
11-25-2014, 10:47 PM
As a person whose livelihood depends on the writing and licensing of software, I absolutely believe in the concept of intellectual property and copyrights. I wish others had the morals and integrity to do the same. It's time for all people to just stop saying 'everyone does it' and realize it doesn't matter, it's still wrong.

I can't bring myself to pirate music....and I'm not a fan of the iTunes Store - so I go out, buy the CD if I like it, and then rip the songs into iTunes so they will work on my all-Apple ecosystem (iPhone, iPod, iPad, Macs, etc). It would be very easily to download every song I could ever want via torrent or P2P but I wouldn't feel right doing it. But if I'm not interested in the whole CD, then I don't get the singles, it's simple as that. I'm just not a fan of the iTunes Store. There is a part of me that wants a physical product to keep and not worry about losing it out in the cloud. Then again if fire would take your house, there goes your music. It's a double-edged sword.

Now Pandora, Spotify, etc and streaming services not paying enough to songwriters/musicians/record labels/etc is a whole other can of worms. I do use Spotify. Sometimes I feel bad for it, but a lot of musicians I know use Spotify both locally and some big name sidemen and artists, so its a problem IMO.

Funk 50
11-26-2014, 02:15 PM
I don't think the Eagles are totally motivated by money,

I think they still put authenticity and integrity before profit although the live shows are becoming more and more showy to cover for their dwindling vocal capabilities and Long Road Out Of Eden must be the least authentic of all the Eagles albums, in terms of session players playing rather than band members.

The band made huge amounts of money from LP sales in the 70s then doubled it without lifting a finger when the record industry rammed CD's down the record buying fraternity's throats, then there was Videos and DVD to squeeze more profit from past labours.

The band are rich enough to resist being motivated by money. Even Randy and Bernie earn enough from the 4 or 5 years they did in the early 70s to live comfortably for they rest of their lives.

Since computers and digital recording came along the record companies have lost control of the industry, after decades of ripping off the artists and the fans, they've suddenly lost all their power and influence. These are the guys that told us "Home taping is killing music." Now they tell us that sharing is stealing.

Record shops have closed down. Four times I went out to buy Glenn's last album, nobody had it on sale! Vinyl producers, cassette and even CD manufactures have gone to the wall but a whole load of new IT industries have come in to replace them. It's just progress. Their is still money to be made but more importantly the music is just as it ever was.

It always seemed unfair to me that I paid more money to buy hit albums that I ended up only playing once or twice before shelving them, than I did for Joe's Barnstorm album, that didn't even make the charts when released, that I bought for a bargain price, yet I've played hundreds, maybe thousands of times. Payment by number of plays does seem a fairer system to me.

It's also worth mentioning that although Glenn felt he and Don deserved twice as much money as the other Eagles, when they resumed for HFO because they were the ones keeping the Eagles name alive, he quite openly agrees that it was classic rock radio that kept them in the public eye for those 14 years... and the radio stations were paying the Eagles for that privilege. If Glenn and Don were worth a premium, surely the radio stations should get a cut.

The classic rock radio stations that brought great wealth to the Eagles, have now been superseded by Youtube. A format that the Eagles will have nothing to do with. If they showed that attitude with radio in the early 70s, how different life would've been for them and us.

I'm sorry and saddened to read how guilty you feel about listening to some music formats WalshFan88. Music can stir many emotions but guilt really shouldn't be one of them. The next time you hear Henley saying how much he was influenced and inspired by all those guys he heard on his radio as a kid, just remember he didn't pay a penny for the privilege. :thumbsup:

Sorry for ranting sorta off topic. I'm off to listen to some Eagles music that may or may not be legitimate. :partytime:

VAisForEagleLovers
11-26-2014, 04:08 PM
It's also worth mentioning that although Glenn felt he and Don deserved twice as much money as the other Eagles, when they resumed for HFO because they were the ones keeping the Eagles name alive, he quite openly agrees that it was classic rock radio that kept them in the public eye for those 14 years... and the radio stations were paying the Eagles for that privilege. If Glenn and Don were worth a premium, surely the radio stations should get a cut.

Believe me, here in the US, anyway, the radio stations got the biggest cut of all. They play music they don't own a copyright for, and they play it for free. They charge people and businesses huge amounts of money (or it used to be huge) for advertising and raked in money that the artists and record companies never saw. The argument was that it was radio play that sold the albums and sold the tickets for tours, and while it's a valid argument, the fact remains ClearChannel and Westwood One were built on the backs of singers and songwriters, and buy exploiting material they didn't own a copyright to. Here in the US, Satellite and Internet must pay royalties by law, the but the broadcast radio stations are still on a free ride, although the ride isn't as high as it used to be. Many other countries require radio stations to pay royalties.

11-26-2014, 05:55 PM
I have to agree with you, VA.

And with regard to the amount of money the band makes, it's much more involved than just making enough money to live comfortable for the rest of their lives. I think it is also worth pointing out that the income the band generates is far from just direct profit for them. Just for beginners, there is a tremendous amount of overhead in running a huge corporation and employing hundreds or perhaps even thousands of people.

sodascouts
11-27-2014, 12:38 PM
I'm going to start a new thread about streaming in the Singer/Song forum because I don't to veer too far off track, yet it's a good topic. The idea that legally paying per play is somehow wrong is not one I subscribe to.

My new thread is here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5461).

In short: Stealing is wrong, but piracy is a non-issue nowadays because of streaming. Instead of being happy about that, some artists are still grousing that it's not enough.

So an artist doesn't get as much money as he/she thinks he/she deserves? Welcome to the reality most of us live every day.

The market determines prices for all of us; in the case of streaming, the price has lowered for fans. I remember paying $20 for a CD in the 1990s when I only knew a couple of the songs, and I just had to hope the rest were OK, since record companies no longer offered singles. I was in college, and I was only able to afford about one CD a month, maybe two. Thank God those days are gone.

Heaven knows the artists don't seem to mind letting the market determine prices when it comes to concert tickets...

VAisForEagleLovers
11-30-2014, 02:50 PM
The Rolling Stone has a more detailed article today, and they avoided speaking in 'lyricese', which makes it a nicer read. They also have references to other recent legal action on the part of the guys.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/eagles-sue-concert-footage-archivist-over-bootleg-performances-20141130?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

If your language of choice is Pig Latin, here ya go:
http://www.gossippiggy.com/2014/11/30/eagles-sue-concert-footage-archivist-over-bootleg-performances/?tb

sodascouts
11-30-2014, 03:23 PM
The Eagles are not only seeking to reclaim their concert footage from Shelley, they're also reportedly trying to seize his entire extensive archives.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/eagles-sue-concert-footage-archivist-over-bootleg-performances-20141130#ixzz3Ka7aEGEK

I think this article might be a bit inaccurate in its wording. They say the Eagles are trying to seize the recordings of the other artists as well, but they obviously have no more right to ownership of such recordings than the defendant.

I imagine the Eagles are trying to have the archive seized and kept by the court as illegitimate goods, kind of like if you see a guy selling drugs and ask the police to seize his stash rather than asking for the stash to be given to you, lol.

I tried to find the actual complaint without success, but that would make a lot more sense and would be far more likely to hold up in court.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-30-2014, 03:27 PM
I think this article might be a bit inaccurate in its wording. They say the Eagles are trying to seize the recordings of the other artists as well, but they obviously have no more right to ownership of such recordings than the bootlegger.

I imagine the Eagles are trying to have the archive seized by the police as illegitimate goods, kind of like if you see a guy selling drugs and ask the police to seize his stash rather than asking for the stash to be given to you, lol.

I tried to find the actual complaint without success, but that would make a lot more sense and would be far more likely to hold up in court.

The only reason I thought it a possibility is because they'd want all the Eagles material he has, and if they get it all, they can return it all to the copyright owners. The other thing I thought of is that they asked for more than they really want so that in the end they get what they want. The art of civil suit negotiation!

sodascouts
11-30-2014, 03:29 PM
The other thing I thought of is that they asked for more than they really want so that in the end they get what they want. The art of civil suit negotiation!

Good point. Such a strategy would not be unheard of.

sodascouts
11-30-2014, 03:44 PM

Well, I do see a distinction (as you might imagine lol) because he was charging people to see the bootlegs and thus profiting off of the Eagles. There's a reason why I don't charge money, not even to cover costs.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-30-2014, 04:19 PM
Now I have to wonder if this guy claims the money he charges as income on his taxes. He can't have 'costs' if he doesn't have it set up as a business. If nothing else comes of this, if appropriate I hope the IRS gets him.

Funk 50
11-30-2014, 05:42 PM
Just heard the most famous song by Henley's hero, John Lennon.

Had a little chuckle when he sang the "Imagine no possessions" line. That's one Lennon principal that Don probably doesn't admire. :grin:

I thought the copyright of film belongs to the person who's doing the filming not the people in front of the camera :shrug:.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-30-2014, 06:10 PM
Just heard the most famous song by Henley's hero, John Lennon.

Had a little chuckle when he sang the "Imagine no possessions" line. That's one Lennon principal that Don probably doesn't admire. :grin:

I thought the copyright of film belongs to the person who's doing the filming not the people in front of the camera :shrug:.

I've never been convinced Lennon ever stood behind that principle, either.

The film belongs to the person who took it. Same with pictures. However, a film with audio includes the songs, and those belong to whomever owns the copyright for the song. Depending on individual contracts, along with the selling/purchasing of rights, it can be different on who owns the copyright. However, one thing is for certain in this instance, this man does not have any of the copyrights, nor does anyone taking bootleg film. It's why YouTube has to take down the videos when the ones holding the copyrights demand it. Someone will tell me if I'm wrong on this. To add to the general confusion, copyright laws are different in each country.

sodascouts
11-30-2014, 06:43 PM
Copyright law is very complex and nuanced; it is changing constantly, often open to interpretation, and difficult to keep straight, especially since different rules apply to different types of media and usage.

Much depends on context.

Are you a cameraman hired to film something? You don't own what you film; the company paying you does. The people you filmed don't own it either unless it's been contractually specified. For instance, the BBC owns the copyright to the 1973 Eagles concert for the BBC - not its cameramen or the band. The BBC paid the cameramen, they paid the band, and they own the rights.

Of course, in the case of a bootleg, there is no contract establishing parameters or payment to the band... hence the problem.

Not that you have to have the band's permission to film them just walking around, chatting, whatever. This is how paparazzi thrive; you have the right to film people in public, and you own the copyright to that film. If they want to shut you down, they have to do so through alternate means such as Right of Publicity.

However, in this case, the person filmed the Eagles performing their songs in their entirety (snippets are technically OK under a certain length because they are considered in the "public domain" - another very complicated concept). Therefore, under current copyright law, the bootlegs violate their copyright. Read more here (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/1101).

ETA: I see VA beat me to it!

VAisForEagleLovers
11-30-2014, 08:46 PM
Here's another version of the article. This one even states that while Henley is suing a bunch of others, and implies it's for no good reason, this case is 'reasonable' However, the attention grabbing headline states otherwise.

http://www.stereogum.com/1721966/don-henley-found-another-fan-to-sue/franchises/wheres-the-beef/

sodascouts
11-30-2014, 09:46 PM
A lame, click-bait headline. I don't know of any fans who he's taken all the way to court. This Shelley guy was selling tickets and the Eagles were just one of many artists that he profited from. It's not as if he was the world's biggest Eagles fan trying to spread the love of their music via sharing concert footage.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-01-2014, 08:49 PM
The actual complaint of Don and Glenn v. Shelley

http://www.scribd.com/doc/248821912/Don-Henley-and-Glenn-Frey-v-Shelley-Archives-bootlegging-and-copyright-pdf

ETA: Thank you to one Mr. Jaffe for the tweet.

sodascouts
12-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Thanks!

So, Shelley has an actual registered business, Shelley Archives, Inc., built entirely around bootlegs. He's not giving away too many tickets for free, methinks.

As for the confusion about seizure: Items 33 and 34 (pg 7), echoed in 44 and 45 (pg 9), are not limited to the Eagles explicitly in the text, so I can see how that could be interpreted as Henley and Frey seeking seizure of the entire archive and bringing a full stop to Shelley's dealings with bootlegs. However, I believe there is a contextual implication that they are only concerned with materials copyrighted to them because that is the way it is framed in the concluding "Prayer for Relief". It only asks for Shelley to be stopped from "further infringing Henley's and Frey's rights in and to the Copyrighted Works" (pg 9) and "a seizure order directed to all infringing articles and bootlegged copies of the Unauthorized Eagles Film and Copyrighted Works in Shelley's possession" (pg 10).

I find it worth noting that they have not specified an amount. If one does the math of $150,000 per song per bootleg, plus the Eagles' attorney fees and other costs... that is millions of dollars, and that's before we even get to damages. Shelley would be bankrupted, completely ruined.

I think they hope to scare him into settling. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Obviously, at the outset, they just wanted him to stop and fork over all his bootlegs of their stuff. I have to wonder why he refused. The suit names three dates where they requested him to stop. Perhaps he's making so much money off them he thought he could get away with it? Maybe he does have a few friends in the music business and thought they could protect him or talk Glenn and Don out of this? It just doesn't make any sense to me that he refused. Now, of course, just to prove a point, Glenn and Don aren't likely to give in at the first settlement amount offered. Except for lawyers' fees, they probably don't want the money, just a high profile example made of the guy.

I thought the same as you, Soda, that I didn't see where they were asking for all of his bootlegs. I wonder how they'll know if they got it all? Even now, the man's probably busy making copies and stashing them places where he hopes no one will know about them.

UndertheWire
12-02-2014, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the link. Apart from the Eagles content it was interesting to see the terminology. "Prayer for relief"?
I read it as they were only asking to receive material that infringe their copyright. As laid out, it seems straightforward and I can't imagine what kind of defence could be offered.

Funk 50
12-02-2014, 06:30 PM
I find it worth noting that they have not specified an amount. If one does the math of $150,000 per song per bootleg, plus the Eagles' attorney fees and other costs... that is millions of dollars, and that's before we even get to damages. Shelley would be bankrupted, completely ruined.

I think they hope to scare him into settling. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

If Shelley has no money, it doesn't matter how much the Eagles think they're entitled to, they wont get it.

Are they going to pay for a case that'll cost them a mint and win them nothing?

If he's broke, What has Shelley got to lose?

What would he gain by settling out of court?

Once in court he can just tell the judge that he'll desist from showing his archive publicly in future.

I can't see a judge thinking the Eagles case is serious enough for somebody's life to be "completely ruined." They're only bootlegs.

I don't want to regarded as a supporter of the law breaker but he's definitely the little guy here, no matter how darkly he's painted.

Topkat
12-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Here's another article on this same dude. Eagles are suing him!
What else is new? :shock:

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2014-12-02/eagles-sue-fan-who-showed-bootleg-concert-footage

VAisForEagleLovers
12-02-2014, 07:07 PM
If Shelley has no money, it doesn't matter how much the Eagles think they're entitled to, they wont get it.

Are they going to pay for a case that'll cost them a mint and win them nothing?

If he's broke, What has Shelley got to lose?

What would he gain by settling out of court?

Once in court he can just tell the judge that he'll desist from showing his archive publicly in future.

I can't see a judge thinking the Eagles case is serious enough for somebody's life to be "completely ruined." They're only bootlegs.

I don't want to regarded as a supporter of the law breaker but he's definitely the little guy here, no matter how darkly he's painted.

I absolutely believe our guys would take a loss to prove a point. I have yet to read that this guy has no money. He's made a real business of this, so he probably has money, since his costs are low and his 'assets' are ones he didn't pay for. Also, being a little guy doesn't mean you should be able to get away with stuff. Little guys answer to the same rules as everyone else. In my opinion, it's the opposite. He thinks he's so big and such an 'insider' that he's untouchable. Lastly, my personal opinion is that if it goes that far, a judge will very definitely take this seriously. I hope so, anyway, because people do not have a right to take things that belong to others. It's that simple.

MaryCalifornia
12-02-2014, 09:20 PM
The Eagles are the perfect entity to pursue artists' rights, simply because of the fact they DO have the resources and are willing to expend them, and they don't give a hoot what people think of them or what hits their reputation may take in the media. I hope that in the future, they are recognized by others in their industry for what they're doing.

Now, here's hoping that Don and Glenn don't agree to settle this case - they should force a judge to make a ruling on the merits 1) so we can hear all of the details and the judge's reasoning and 2) to add to whatever body of case law exists regarding stealing others' life work.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Joe and Timothy are at the Knicks game, I guess Joe posted it on Facebook. The tweets that I've read said that 'Assistant Knicks GM' Glenn wasn't sighted.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/Eagles/JoeandTimothyatKnicksgame_zps47fe773f.jpg

Topkat
12-02-2014, 09:48 PM
:partytime::partytime:Ummm the guys are in NYC. I know Joe is doing 2 shows here, but I wonder what Timothy is up to? LOL I'm not busy tomorrow night!

MaryCalifornia
12-02-2014, 10:05 PM
OMG they are adorable. How did Timothy get his arm inside of Joe's coat? :shrug::laugh::inlove:

shunlvswx
12-02-2014, 10:48 PM
It's nice seeing Timothy out and about. Now we updates on all the guys while on their time off from touring.

I was looking at the picture of Timothy and Joe with their wives in the other thread and it looks like Marjorie is going back blonde and growing her hair long.

sodascouts
12-03-2014, 12:22 AM
This kind of thing makes me want to live in NYC! ;)

12-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Thanks VA for posting the photo of Joe and Tim at the Knicks game. It is really cute and nice to see the guys hanging out for a little R&R!

Houston Baby
12-09-2014, 01:53 PM

Me too!!

VAisForEagleLovers
12-09-2014, 11:10 PM

And go to basketball games?

sodascouts
12-09-2014, 11:51 PM
If I must! lol

Houston Baby
12-10-2014, 01:52 PM
And go to basketball games?
Great minds think alike VA! Somehow I would have to buy some season tickets! Maybe we could all go into together & take turns. :hilarious:

GlennLover
12-11-2014, 01:29 PM
According to Forbes rich list the Eagles were the hightest earning band from June 2013 to June 2014 : https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11287615/The-Eagles-out-earn-One-Direction-in-Forbes-rich-list.html&ct=ga&cd=CAEYACoTODI5Mjg2MDc3OTM1NjU3NDQ3NTIaOGUzOGU5NGJ lZTg5MDU2Yjpjb206ZW46VVM&usg=AFQjCNFG-JwqgpDC_p301SV81swEj4jmww

Brooke
12-11-2014, 05:12 PM
Poor things! Evidently there are more than a few that love them! Whatever will they do with all that $$$! :applause:

secret squirrel
12-12-2014, 10:35 AM
According to Forbes rich list the Eagles were the hightest earning band from June 2013 to June 2014 : https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11287615/The-Eagles-out-earn-One-Direction-in-Forbes-rich-list.html&ct=ga&cd=CAEYACoTODI5Mjg2MDc3OTM1NjU3NDQ3NTIaOGUzOGU5NGJ lZTg5MDU2Yjpjb206ZW46VVM&usg=AFQjCNFG-JwqgpDC_p301SV81swEj4jmww

Nice to know they can still trump One Direction. And one of the latter is a big Eagles fan of course. I forget which one.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/glenn-frey-cowboy-casanova.html

bluefeather
12-12-2014, 02:07 PM
That would be Nial Horan ss, which I respect him for

thelastresort
12-12-2014, 02:09 PM
Nice to know they can still trump One Direction. And one of the latter is a big Eagles fan of course. I forget which one.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/glenn-frey-cowboy-casanova.html

Niall Horan. Probably quite a blessing for the Eagles actually, hoards of teenage girls hang on every word he says / Tweets, so he has probably earned the guys a few more fans for life!

VAisForEagleLovers
12-12-2014, 07:29 PM
I've seen many tweets over the last year and a half to Niall from his fans saying they went to or were going to an Eagles concert.

One of the others from One Direction went to one of the LA concerts last year, I can't remember his name.

sodascouts
12-16-2014, 01:44 PM
Just saw this. Congrats to the Eagles!

VAisForEagleLovers
12-29-2014, 09:49 AM
Due to some discussions in other threads, I've been thinking about this. I'm hoping that being the highest selling band for 2014 means that they realize they still 'have it' and so don't think they've peaked and try to end it all. Obviously, they still have what fans want to see.

shunlvswx
12-29-2014, 11:43 AM
One of my favorite singers, Donny Osmond posted this link on his facebook page about "15 Heartthrobs Every 1970s Kid Will Remember". Guess who made the list.

http://www.mosthappy.com/article/1238027/15-heartthrobs-every-1970s-kid-will-remember?paramt=1&param4=mh-fb-us-de-entertainment&param1=mosthappy&param2=27492951&param5=10152432089021186&param6=27494761#slide=25

Brooke
12-29-2014, 01:00 PM
I know they were definitely on my heartthrob list! :thumbsup:

GlennLover
12-29-2014, 01:05 PM
Boy, does that bring back memories!

Houston Baby
12-29-2014, 01:53 PM
ITA!! :heart:

bluefeather
12-30-2014, 07:19 PM
agreed:heart:

01-06-2015, 09:37 PM
VA posted this link in another thread because it mentions that Don's album is rumored to be released this year. However, if you scroll down the page, there are "before" and "then" pictures of rock stars. Don H., Glenn, Joe, and Don F. all made the cut. Here's the link:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/2015-new-music-releases/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=newsletter_4572276

Of course, I definitely knew all of our guys pictures, but there are a lot of them I would have never guessed.

sodascouts
01-07-2015, 02:03 AM
Interesting - thanks dreamer!

zeldabjr
01-12-2015, 11:37 PM
not sure if this is the right place for this...but I saw it on Facebook today...said it was in the DesMoines Register last year...I think it's awesome!!!

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh572/zeldabjr/10928994_10205204141010723_6265217773582365868_n_z ps10777476.jpg

GlennLover
01-13-2015, 12:40 AM
That's cool. I think that they are good likenesses of all of them.

sodascouts
01-13-2015, 12:41 AM
That's very well done!

Brooke
01-13-2015, 10:16 AM
Those are great!

Freypower
01-13-2015, 05:03 PM
Three of them are pretty good but second right - that isn't right at all. It gets about halfway there & then something about it stops it from being accurate. What a shame. :-(

GlennLover
01-13-2015, 05:07 PM
Three of them are pretty good but second right - that isn't right at all. What a shame. :-(

It's still a lot better than most caricatures that I have seen of him.

Brooke
01-14-2015, 03:13 PM
In this case, the Eagles are NOT mentioned, but I expected them to be when I read the title!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/expensive-concert-tickets/

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/fjlg45mhfj/1-fleetwood-mac-on-with-the-show-tour-avg-price-307-38/

Secondary market (meaning scalpers?) lol And it's about this year's touring acts. We haven't heard about any from the Eagles other than down under.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-16-2015, 07:07 PM
Published today in the LA Times, an article about Winslow, Arizona, and how Glenn and Jackson's song has helped promote tourism.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-winslow-arizona-20150116-story.html

Houston Baby
01-17-2015, 09:39 AM
Interesting article, thank you VA! Makes me want to go and spend some money there.

sodascouts
01-17-2015, 08:11 PM
I'd like to visit it sometime.

tjh532
01-18-2015, 01:22 AM
not sure if this is the right place for this...but I saw it on Facebook today...said it was in the DesMoines Register last year...I think it's awesome!!!

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh572/zeldabjr/10928994_10205204141010723_6265217773582365868_n_z ps10777476.jpg

Oh my! I have been away for a bit, so I just saw this. I love it! Although I think Glenn looks suspiciously like Mel Gibson:hilarious:

UndertheWire
01-18-2015, 12:05 PM
Although I think Glenn looks suspiciously like Mel Gibson:hilarious:
I was thinking that but it seemed too silly. I think it's the hair.

01-18-2015, 02:18 PM
I love those caricatures - it's one of the best I've ever seen of our guys. Good find, zelda!

And VA - thanks for the link to the Winslow info. I would love to go stand on the corner in Winslow, Arizona, but I don't think I could justify a trip just to do that one thing. It would have to be tagged on to an extended sight-seeing trip - maybe Vegas, the Grand Canyon, the 'Four Corners", etc., etc., etc. :hmm:

thelastresort
01-18-2015, 04:21 PM
If I only ever do one thing on this earth I will visit that corner in Winslow, Arizona. Alas it's a loooooooooooong way in the future yet :(

Brooke
01-19-2015, 10:59 AM
I will definitely stand on the corner too one day! Probably as dreamer mentioned, part of the Grand Canyon trip.

NightMistBlue
01-20-2015, 12:05 PM
Be sure to include Sedona on your trip - it's stunning red rock country, plus wasn't that where Jackson B. was coming from when he got stranded...

For my Eagles pilgrimage, I'd like to go to the Paramount Ranch where they did the Desperado shoot-out
http://rockandrollroadmap.com/places/album-cover-locations/los-angeles-area/paramount-ranch

sodascouts
01-21-2015, 12:48 AM
That would be fun!

cynd1231
01-21-2015, 10:34 PM
Here's a link for the LA Times...photos from Jerry Brown's 1979 campaign when the guys played. Don't think I've ever seen these exact photos.

http://framework.latimes.com/2015/01/21/1979-brown-for-president-rock-concert/#/0

VAisForEagleLovers
01-22-2015, 12:14 AM
Thanks, Cynd!

bluefeather
01-22-2015, 06:37 PM
like these a lot, thanks cynd

sodascouts
01-23-2015, 12:31 AM
Interesting write-up, too!

shunlvswx
01-25-2015, 03:02 PM
The guys made Ultimate Classic Rock website list of Top 12 MTV Unplugged Episodes. Don's episode didn't make the cut.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/top-mtv-unplugged-episodes

sodascouts
01-25-2015, 08:45 PM
I actually think it's a bit misguided to include HFO in that list at all. It may have started out as an MTV Unplugged, but it morphed beyond that... as the songs with electric guitars testify!

VAisForEagleLovers
01-27-2015, 09:33 AM
I guess since they included Springsteen who was all electric except one song, that opened the door to everyone...

NightMistBlue
02-05-2015, 05:58 PM
This is an 2008 article on a pilgrimage to Eagles sites: Welcome to the Eagles' California http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/holidaytypeshub/article-602232/Welcome-Eagles-California.html

VAisForEagleLovers
02-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Thank you, NMB!

VAisForEagleLovers
02-05-2015, 10:08 PM
In the top 5 bands of the 20th and 21st Centuries with the highest earnings...

The last statement in their section is kind of idiotic...

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/inspired/1237669-5-bands-of-the-20th-and-21st-centuries-with-the-highest-earnings/

VAisForEagleLovers
02-05-2015, 10:43 PM
I put this in Irving's thread, but it does mention the Eagles, so even though it's an article about Irving, I'll put it here, too.

Irving has moved up to the #3 spot on Billboard's Power 100.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/6458403/billboards-2015-power-100-list-revealed

UndertheWire
02-06-2015, 04:22 AM
Thanks for the link. There's lots of interesting stuff there:

On the management side, Azoff's heritage rock clients blew up the box office in 2014. With more than 1 million tickets sold, The Eagles grossed $107.3 million for 59 shows. With dates slated for Australia and New Zealand, the band is "in a tour of perpetuity -- every time we go back to a market it's bigger than the time before," says Azoff, attributing the growth to the History of the Eagles documentary, which "invented a new way of marketing a career. [It] has done way more for them at this point in their career than any album could have. It had the run on Showtime, then on DVD -- which Universal did a great job of marketing -- and now we've moved it over to Netflix, and it exploded again."
That doesn't sound like they're done and dusted. Though the comment about an album is disappointing, I can see his point - the documentary reached a much wider audience than a new album would have.

Azoff has venue plans of his own -- he's *looking at building Forum-like venues in other *markets. "We think music-only buildings are really *important," he says. "Years ago, everybody was *saying, 'The size is going to be 6,000 [capacity].' I think it's going to be everything from 6,000 to 20,000."
If you tie this in with his earlier comment about how the Eagles could have a residency in a number (was in 8?) of cities, it seems like there could be a plan.

I'm trying to get my head around this new publishing rights organisation and how it fits in with the established bodies. Is it different from a performing rights organisation?

Funk 50
02-06-2015, 05:58 AM
Irving seems delighted that the Eagles don't need to record any new music :sad:

Everybody knows about the relevance of the Beatles appearance on the Ed Sullivan show in '64 but it would've fallen a bit flat if they didn't release any new music after it. In fact The Beatles stopped touring and just concentrated on recording new music. I remember Glenn stressing the importance of making new music when the Eagles resumed in 1994. Maybe they don't care anymore.

Thanks for posting the link VAisForEagleLovers.

UndertheWire
02-06-2015, 07:40 AM
I know the documentary also increased record sales for the band so it should have increased the market for some new recordings. However, given how long it takes them, it probably doesn't look like a good financial return on effort compared with touring with the old songs. Let's just hope the members of the band still have the creative urge and this will override the financial considerations.

I'm in two minds about the outcome I'd like for Don Henley's upcoming album. If it sells well, that could indicate a demand for new material, but it might be interpreted as a demand for new Henley material. If it doesn't sell, it will be taken as proof that there's no money in recording.

NightMistBlue
02-06-2015, 10:54 AM
I put this in Irving's thread, but it does mention the Eagles, so even though it's an article about Irving, I'll put it here, too.

Irving has moved up to the #3 spot on Billboard's Power 100.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/6458403/billboards-2015-power-100-list-revealed

That was interesting. I didn't realize he managed Fleetwood Mac as well.

Though Irving seems to say the Eagles will tour in perpetuity, that's certainly not the impression that Don Henley and Joe Walsh have given. Didn't Joe say they'll probably do one more tour then "wrap it up." And Don has indicated the time is drawing very nigh on their performing days since they're all approaching their late 60s.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-06-2015, 11:29 AM
That was interesting. I didn't realize he managed Fleetwood Mac as well.

Though Irving seems to say the Eagles will tour in perpetuity, that's certainly not the impression that Don Henley and Joe Walsh have given. Didn't Joe say they'll probably do one more tour then "wrap it up." And Don has indicated the time is drawing very nigh on their performing days since they're all approaching their late 60s.

I'm hoping that to them, an all out tour is one thing, and playing a few steady dates at a few locations are two different things.

UTW - I believe he said 12 cities.

sodascouts
02-07-2015, 12:42 PM
Irving seems delighted that the Eagles don't need to record any new music :sad:

Azoff seems to actively campaign against them making another album. I don't understand it; in the documentary, he seems to appreciate them as artists, at least in the past. Maybe he doesn't think a new album by them would be any good. I still believe in them, though, and I hope they still believe in themselves.

UndertheWire
02-07-2015, 01:36 PM
He's said that one of his main jobs is trying to keep the band together, so maybe Azoff is worried about the friction that might be created during recording sessions.

thelastresort
02-07-2015, 04:23 PM
(NB - I am not sure if the Eagles differ in the following, please advise me if so: I've no idea what their various contracts as the 70s progressed entailed):

Bernie said on HOTE that bands rarely get much from releasing work, touring is where the attracting figures lie. So if they were to release new work obviously touring would have to ensue, however Azoff himself I believe has left it open that the Eagles may take up residency across a few cities only, which surely wouldn't be optimising the financial potential of their new material.

I think, based on a combination of their age (it must be much harder at age 67 to finish a half-baked song than for example it would have been with LROOE a decade ago), the fact that their chief lyricist / one half of the primary songwriting team has a new album out which would most likely include any modicum of new song ideas, and a life-story documentary accompanied with what is as good as a farewell tour leaves any future possibility of new material very weak.

Freypower
02-07-2015, 04:52 PM
(NB - I am not sure if the Eagles differ in the following, please advise me if so: I've no idea what their various contracts as the 70s progressed entailed):

Bernie said on HOTE that bands rarely get much from releasing work, touring is where the attracting figures lie. So if they were to release new work obviously touring would have to ensue, however Azoff himself I believe has left it open that the Eagles may take up residency across a few cities only, which surely wouldn't be optimising the financial potential of their new material.

I think, based on a combination of their age (it must be much harder at age 67 to finish a half-baked song than for example it would have been with LROOE a decade ago), the fact that their chief lyricist / one half of the primary songwriting team has a new album out which would most likely include any modicum of new song ideas, and a life-story documentary accompanied with what is as good as a farewell tour leaves any future possibility of new material very weak.

Not yet he doesn't, and he's been working on this album for years, so it's a bit of a stretch to call the songs on it 'new' after so long.

thelastresort
02-07-2015, 06:15 PM
Not yet he doesn't, and he's been working on this album for years, so it's a bit of a stretch to call the songs on it 'new' after so long.

Probably helps my argument if anything: if it's taken him so long to collate Cass County (I think that's its name?) how long would it take him and the others to record a new Eagles album? Also surely if the album has taken until present to record and finish any new material or concepts will be on that vice holding it back in case they ever decide to do anything as a band?

Funk 50
02-07-2015, 07:44 PM
I believe Cass County was finished over 12 months ago. It just hasn't been released due to Don's Eagles commitments.

It was scheduled to be released in August 2013 then it shifted to 2014 TBA (To Be Announced). Presently it's listed as 2015 TBA. I've sorta checked for the latest info on Don's solo album or albums at the start of each month, probably going back beyond Analog Man and After Hours.

This month there seems to be some 2015 re-releases of Don's earlier solo albums around. I don't know if they are official or not. I've not really investigated. No extra tracks of course.

As lifelong musicians and songwriters, I'm sure all the guys are coming up with new material all the time. It's just a case of whether or not they have the motivation to go through the rigmarole of making it public. By all accounts, making an Eagles album is an arduous, tortuous experience even with the benefits of digital recording.

I'm just sad that Irving encourages them to just chase the big money all the time.

Maybe Glenn and Don told Irving that his job is to make them as much money as possible, even when they've got so much they'll never be able to spend it all.

UndertheWire
02-08-2015, 11:12 AM
I've been reading about Humble Pie and Peter Frampton and that was a good reminder that the Eagles (including Leadon and Felder*) did very well with Azoff. Not only was he fierce when negotiating deals on their behalf and identifying opportunities, but he seems to have encouraged them to invest wisely.

*There's a 1990s interview with Bernie Leadon where he mentions still receiving a good income from the Eagles because the Greatest Hits went platinum every year. I assume the same would have been even more true for the others (Felder would have received less from GH but would have done well out of HC).

DivineDon
02-08-2015, 11:32 AM

A novelist or artist for that matter can take years crafting their work but it's still 'new' to the readers or viewers. The same with Cass County - however long it takes, it'll still be 'new' work.

UndertheWire
02-08-2015, 02:28 PM
There's quite a bit of Eagles stuff in this, including comments from Glenn, JD and Cameron Crowe. Joni Mitchell used to go to Glenn's house to play poker!

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2015/02/laurel-canyon-music-scene

I like this:

J. D. SOUTHER: When Glenn and Don [Henley] had those poker nights and football nights, Linda and I moved to Beachwood Canyon, [so as] not to be living in that boys' club over there in Laurel Canyon.

and this:

CHRIS HILLMAN: I have great respect for the Eagles, for Henley and Frey, and I love the original band. What they did was take all those influences—but they did it right. They were smarter than we were. In the Burrito Brothers, Gram Parsons and I wrote good songs, but we didn't have that work ethic.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-08-2015, 06:28 PM
I really like that Chris Hillman mentions the work ethic the Eagles had. I'm glad one of their contemporaries realizes that besides good looks and great talent, what got them to superband status was the work they put into it. It's one of the things the band wanted people to get out of the HOTE documentary, but I'm not sure many did.

sodascouts
02-08-2015, 09:57 PM
There's quite a bit of Eagles stuff in this, including comments from Glenn, JD and Cameron Crowe. Joni Mitchell used to go to Glenn's house to play poker!

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2015/02/laurel-canyon-music-scene

Thanks for the link - I love those type of anecdotes!

VAisForEagleLovers
02-17-2015, 01:14 PM
According to this article, Glenn and Don were in New Zealand on Sunday. True or not, of course I don't know...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11403531

sodascouts
02-17-2015, 06:50 PM
I seriously doubt Glenn used the adjective "bloody."

VAisForEagleLovers
02-17-2015, 09:11 PM

Maybe they couldn't print the word he used? :D Yeah, it looks very real, but they said it was Sunday, which means Don either flew into Sydney and then did a three hour flight to Auckland (more with the time change) or flew straight to Auckland. For lunch. Glenn was in Sydney, so he would have made that flight. For lunch. Then both would make a 7.5 hr. flight to Perth in order to be there, as Glenn stated, to run through an acoustic/vocal version of the concert on Monday. I'm not saying this isn't true, it's just unbelievable, and if they did, it had to be for far more than lunch.

02-17-2015, 09:14 PM
:hmm: I dunno about that, Soda. It's certainly not terribly out of character for Glenn to say a bad word or two. Maybe he was just doing the 'when in Rome, do as Romans do' routine.

Freypower
02-17-2015, 09:53 PM

He used it when he was imitating Glyn Johns in HOTE. He may have thought it was more appropriate than the f word. It's our equivalent of 'damn' down here.

cynd1231
02-18-2015, 01:30 AM
Maybe they couldn't print the word he used? :D Yeah, it looks very real, but they said it was Sunday, which means Don either flew into Sydney and then did a three hour flight to Auckland (more with the time change) or flew straight to Auckland. For lunch. Glenn was in Sydney, so he would have made that flight. For lunch. Then both would make a 7.5 hr. flight to Perth in order to be there, as Glenn stated, to run through an acoustic/vocal version of the concert on Monday. I'm not saying this isn't true, it's just unbelievable, and if they did, it had to be for far more than lunch.

VA, the whole thing is hard to believe, especially when you look at the by-line and consider the source: Rachel Glucina is New Zealand’s reigning gossip queen and author of The Diary.

Funk 50
02-18-2015, 06:42 AM
It's conceivable that all the travelling together was to enable some private business conversations to take place with minimal interruptions.

The Eagles usually have a band meeting at the start of the year to discuss future band projects. This could be their first opportunity for a face to face chat.

L101
02-18-2015, 07:33 AM
It's conceivable that all the travelling together was to enable some private business conversations to take place with minimal interruptions.

The Eagles usually have a band meeting at the start of the year to discuss future band projects. This could be their first opportunity for a face to face chat.

They are in a rock band, not the CIA....that seems like a bit too much trouble to go to just for a meeting. But then again maybe they just like flying :grin:

VAisForEagleLovers
02-18-2015, 09:35 AM
When I saw this the other day, I assumed it was on here already. I don't see it in this thread, so I'm posting it now. Apologies if it's a duplicate... Jack Tempchin just posted on Facebook, which made me think I should double check here. It's a 60 Minutes segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG43l56Qvek&feature=youtu.be

ETA: I don't think I went back far enough, it has to be on here somewhere! Oh, well, it's worth seeing again.

Freypower
02-18-2015, 04:21 PM
Yes, it was put on here when it was first shown. I don't know exactly where it is on the board. It coincided with the release of HOTE, not with this tour.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-18-2015, 05:38 PM
Yes, it was put on here when it was first shown. I don't know exactly where it is on the board. It coincided with the release of HOTE, not with this tour.

It must have been during the European tour, since she says she's in Amsterdam.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-22-2015, 10:31 PM
An interesting perspective about the banjo and rock music...

http://www.asianage.com/music/blame-it-banjo-making-rock-classics-385

VAisForEagleLovers
02-26-2015, 11:17 AM
This person actually thinks the 'legends' of hip-hop should be able to sell out stadiums and big arenas like the Eagles, just because they've been around for a while. He doesn't get that the reason they play in small theaters is because their songs suck. He thinks it's an injustice that they've been dissed. Seriously. He seems to think fans owe them something.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/02/26/no-respect-for-hip-hop-s-ogs-why-many-legendary-mcs-still-need-to-hustle.html