PDA

View Full Version : Random Victims, Pt 3

Shadowland07
03-03-2010, 12:07 PM
who is the one doing the squib after the lil section of King of Hollywood?

Ive always been a dreamer
03-03-2010, 03:42 PM
First of all SL, this is a great topic and question. :thumbsup: This is my very favorite part of the entire Selected Works collection. I guess the Millennium show is pretty cool too. :wink: There are so many parts of the RV, pt.3 track that I have often wondered about that we can discuss here.

I went back to listen to it to see if I could answer to your question, and I have no idea! :shrug: But I'm going to guess it is Glenn since he and Don are the ones singing, and then later you can hear Don talking. I'll be interested to hear others thoughts on this.

I'll give everyone some time to mull over this before I ask anything else. Let the games begin! :grin:

GlennLover
03-03-2010, 05:00 PM
I agree with you, Dreamer. Glenn is good at doing voices & you hear others talking that aren't him. Although I don't know for sure, I always assumed that it was him.

Wildthyme
03-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Well I can't be positive but my first thought when listening to that part is its Glenn. It just sounds like his voice to me particularly in light of the fact - as Dreamer pointed out - he and Don are the ones singing the song.

TimothyBFan
03-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Wow--I haven't listened to this in like FOREVER!!!! Glad this topic has came up and it motivated me to pull it out and get it downloaded onto Itunes. I rarely ever pull out Selected Works and just like to keep it nice and neat. To be honest, I've only played it once and that was while I was downloading some (not RV3) of it to Itunes years ago. I finally loaded Long Run Leftovers also which I've been meaning to do.

That being said---I have listened to it 2x and my conclusion is.... I still don't know! :hilarious: Glad I could help!

BTW---I'm really looking forward to this topic and getting everyone's take on this! How fun!!!!

03-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Okay - I like this thread so I am going to try to keep it going. I'll start at the beginning of the RV, pt. 3 track with my question ...

Who do you think is singing to the music of Hotel Calfornia? I'm talking about the lines "I am a dreamer, you are a dreamer, let's go on dreaming like this."

At first, I thought it was Don since he normally sings the song. But the more I listen to it, I now think it is Joe - it especially sounds like Joe when he sings the words "like this" at the end.

EagleLady
03-11-2010, 07:41 PM
To be honest, I can barely hear that part :shrug:

03-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Hmmm - that's odd. It is very audible on my copy.

Freypower
03-11-2010, 07:57 PM
It's also very audible on my copy. I think it's either Joe or Glenn. It certainly isn't Don Henley.

So all the 'we wait, wait' stuff - who's that? Some of that sounds like Felder to me.

As for the KOH part I think that's Glenn. :applause:

GlennLover
03-12-2010, 12:47 AM
I thought that the HC part was Glenn. I also think that the "Wait, wait" song sounds like Glenn. I haven't heard Felder's voice enough to recognize it, especially if he isn't using his normal voice.

Koala
03-12-2010, 05:04 AM
Who do you think is singing to the music of Hotel Calfornia? I'm talking about the lines "I am a dreamer, you are a dreamer, let's go on dreaming like this."

I always thoughts that Joe sing this line!

Shadowland07
03-12-2010, 06:11 PM
oh the "we wait" part is definately Glenn, it's my favorite part

03-13-2010, 02:24 PM
I also think that a lot of the wait, wait, wait, wait, wait stuff is Glenn, but there are obviously others in that part that I can't figure out - for example, who sings the shout out parts "we love to, everybody now, wait some more" and what about the lines "rub your belly in linseed oil, wrap your head in aluminum foil"? (BTW - aren't those amazing lyrics? :grin: )

Of course, none of us really knows the real answers to any of this stuff. However, I think it is fun to speculate and hear people's opinions, and to see if and when we come to a conscensus on any of it.

sodascouts
03-13-2010, 06:25 PM
This is the first chance I've had to listen to this since the topic was started. I'll give my opinion on these tough questions!

who is the one doing the squib after the lil section of King of Hollywood?

Sounds like Glenn to me - I agree with Dreamer that it makes sense since Glenn was singing prior and you can hear Don joking with him that he should take a break so his "voice will clear up." (By the way, what's a squib?)

Who do you think is singing to the music of Hotel California? I'm talking about the lines "I am a dreamer, you are a dreamer, let's go on dreaming like this."

I'm thinking Glenn. Something about the enunciation of the vowels. Hard to say, though.

So all the 'we wait, wait' stuff - who's that?

The most prominent vocal sounds like Glenn to me. You can hear his accent especially on parts like "We ordered dinner late last night."

who sings the shout out parts "we love to, everybody now, wait some more"

It's complicated since different people seem to be throwing in different lines. I think the most prominent of the shout-outs is Don Henley. You can especially hear his accent on the quiet "everybody, everybody."

..and what about the lines "rub your belly in linseed oil, wrap your head in aluminum foil"? (BTW - aren't those amazing lyrics? :grin: )

No idea! I think it might be someone other than Glenn and Don since they were already singing. Still, it doesn't really sounds like Joe and definitely not Tim or Randy. I suppose it could be Felder just by process of elimination. BTW, those clever lyrics are courtesy of Steve Allen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Allen).

Molly
03-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Okay - I like this thread so I am going to try to keep it going. I'll start at the beginning of the RV, pt. 3 track with my question ...

At first, I thought it was Don since he normally sings the song. But the more I listen to it, I now think it is Joe - it especially sounds like Joe when he sings the words "like this" at the end.

Joe has always come to mind when I've listed to this. I vote Joe.

04-13-2010, 11:30 AM
who sings the shout out parts "we love to, everybody now, wait some more"

It's complicated since different people seem to be throwing in different lines. I think the most prominent of the shout-outs is Don Henley. You can especially hear his accent on the quiet "everybody, everybody."

I decided to revive this thread with another Random Victims mystery question when I realized I had forgotten to respond to this. After reading Soda's remarks and listening to it again carefully, ITA that Don H. is singing the "everybody, everybody" part.

Now I'm interested to hear folks opinion on this one ...

Who is saying the lines "...my nerves are fried, my neves are raw from drinking and bein' in love..." ???

I'm gonna say that this is also Don Henley.

Freypower
04-13-2010, 06:16 PM
I always thought it was Joe because I have a vague memory that he used the exact same phrase in an interview.

sodascouts
04-13-2010, 07:32 PM
I remember that there's a review that attributes that line to Joe, but I think that was just the reviewer's opinion. On first listen something about it made me think it was Don, but when I re-listened to it, I think it could very well be Joe.... dang, these guys don't make it easy. ;)

11-14-2010, 03:04 PM
In recognition of today being the 10 anniversary of the release of the "Selected Works" box set, I thought I would revive this thread with another mystery question about Random Victims, Pt.3. So whaduya think about this one ...

Who is singing on the phenomenol track "I Broke My Toe"?

I'm thinking it is Glenn that broke his toe, but I have no idea who is singing lead on the "he broke his toe" backup part. I'm gonna guess that it is Felder because of the deep voice.

And let me not forget this ...

HAPPY 10TH ANNIVERSARY SELECTED WORKS!!!

I may just have to listen to the Millennium Concert sometimes today to celebrate! :thumbsup:

GlennLover
11-14-2010, 03:38 PM
In recognition of today being the 10 anniversary of the release of the "Selected Works" box set, I thought I would revive this thread with another mystery question about Random Victims, Pt.3. So whaduya think about this one ...

Who is singing on the phenomenol track "I Broke My Toe"?

I'm thinking it is Glenn that broke his toe, but I have no idea who is singing lead on the "he broke his toe" backup part. I'm gonna guess that it is Felder because of the deep voice.

And let me not forget this ...

HAPPY 10TH ANNIVERSARY SELECTED WORKS!!!

I may just have to listen to the Millennium Concert sometimes today to celebrate! :thumbsup:

I agree that it is Glenn but I have no idea who is singing the backup part. I never thought of it being Felder. You could be right as we rarely hear his voice.

The Millennium Concert! Sure sounds like a good way to celebrate to me, man!

Freypower
11-14-2010, 06:49 PM
I always thought I Broke My Toe was Joe.

sodascouts
11-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Maybe this inspired the song Joe wrote later entitled "I Broke My Leg."

BriansCurse
03-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Hi everyone, sorry I'm answering this a year later- you might all know the answer by now.

Glenn is singing the lead vocal, Joe is the main backup vocal (repeating lines), Felder is the deep voice, Henley and Tim are briefly repeating here and there.

03-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Hi Brian and welcome to The Border.

Just curious about your post - is this your opinion or do you have some inside knowledge about who was singing on the Random Victim tracks? Cause if it's the latter, I have a lot of questions I'd like to ask you. :lol:

sodascouts
03-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Welcome, BC! Thanks for the info. I'm curious about it, too!

Zimmy
06-10-2011, 01:03 AM
I know, I know, necro-ing a thread isn't the greatest way to make a first post, but this has been bugging me and I didn't want to start a whole new thread on this topic. Anyway, does anyone know what Glenn is singing/playing starting at about 1:21? It's only about 8 seconds or so, but I love it and can't figure out what it is. I'm thinking it's not something he's just making up off the top of his head because it almost sounds like he's trying to remember how it goes. Any ideas?

sodascouts
06-10-2011, 01:20 AM
Welcome, Zimmy! I'll check that out when I'm a little more awake and get back to you on it, lol. Deciphering this stuff never gets old. ;)

Zimmy
06-11-2011, 02:23 AM
Welcome, Zimmy! I'll check that out when I'm a little more awake and get back to you on it, lol. Deciphering this stuff never gets old. ;)

Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to hearing your ideas because I'm stuck on this one :headscratch: haha

Eagles7
06-28-2016, 01:25 AM
Glad to find this older thread (by accident). I'd just run across this cut and was asking about it on another thread.

At about 2:56 you can hear Felder laughing and then saying, Do another cut. At 3:06 you hear him saying, If we do it too good, we'll have to write lyrics to it, plus all the good fills (?) and everything are in the demo.

This is when he still has a Gainsville accent. He sound the same as in HOTE when he is comparing the band to how a president looks when they come out of office and all the guys got a big laugh from that.

The Silk Scarf Monkey
06-28-2016, 03:10 PM
Hotel California sounds like Glenn to me, also because when the song stops he immediately starts talking

I hear some Glenn in the Wait wait wait part, and some Tim too! The “we love to” at the beginning is most obvious Tim

I would say the squib after King of Hollywood is Joe

Before he does the squib thing, you hear two voices saying squib/scrib, the first time being Glenn and the second one seems like one of the Dons (I guess) so I would say Joe does the squib thing, also because it sounds most like him. On the other hand, the high voice that sings KOH toghether with Don Henley seems like the same guy who does the squibbing, and the singing doesn’t sound like Joe to me! More like Glenn…

My favorite part is Joe Walsh singing PMAIAR, it’s hilarious

So far The Silk Scarf Monkey’s research :wink:

Funk 50
06-29-2016, 11:47 AM
Hotel California sounds like Glenn to me, also because when the song stops he immediately starts talking

I hear some Glenn in the Wait wait wait part, and some Tim too! The “we love to” at the beginning is most obvious Tim

I would say the squib after King of Hollywood is Joe

Before he does the squib thing, you hear two voices saying squib/scrib, the first time being Glenn and the second one seems like one of the Dons (I guess) so I would say Joe does the squib thing, also because it sounds most like him. On the other hand, the high voice that sings KOH toghether with Don Henley seems like the same guy who does the squibbing, and the singing doesn’t sound like Joe to me! More like Glenn…

My favorite part is Joe Walsh singing PMAIAR, it’s hilarious

So far The Silk Scarf Monkey’s research

I think Hotel California is Glenn too but it could be Don H. :shrug:

Wait, Wait, Wait is every body. They all know a lot about waiting around.:grin: Tim's bass is prominent, I wonder who's playing the keyboard?
Felder, Frey, Walsh and Vitale are the main suspects and it sounds too intricate to be one of the singers.

"Squib"... sounds like Miss Piggy to me, is in my opinion, Glenn. His King Of Hollywood harmony sounds a bit rough, I think he was accentuating the imperfection, so to speak.:grin: I think Szymczyk suggests he take a break.

These recordings are from Bill Szymczyk, who'd have a cassette deck recording everything, constantly while he was in the studio. He got the "4 songs 'til I kick your ass" on stage in 1981 too. He must have more gems stored somewhere, particularly since the digital recording has become the norm.

LyinEyesInTheFastLane
07-18-2016, 01:34 AM
Hi there FUNK 50
I think the keyboard player might be either Frey or Walsh. Not quite sure but in know that they both were accredited for playing these instruments on various records.

Funk 50
07-18-2016, 08:30 AM
Hi LyinEyesInTheFastLane, it sounds like Glenn and Joe are singing. It's a complicated keyboard part to sing along with. Felder is credited as a Keyboard player on the track The Long Run but Joe Vitale is playing the keys during the studio based video. I've never seen Felder playing keyboards. Vitale is an accomplished keyboard player.

I reckon I can spot Walsh's guitar but I'm stumped with keyboard parts. Even Frey's left-handedness doesn't really add any clarity. His synth solo for Teenage Jail was a revelation! :headbang:

LyinEyesInTheFastLane
07-19-2016, 03:10 AM
Yes I agree . You've raised some good points here and it's got me stumped also :doh: Does anyone else have any ideas?

UndertheWire
07-20-2016, 08:01 AM
Here's my take.

The keyboard playing for "Wait, wait, wait" is simple one-finger playing, so it could be anyone (including Felder who says he played keyboard for the first time on record on "The Long Run").

The "scrib" seems like Glenn to me, especially given the context. It seems like it could have been a genuine attempt to record "King of Hollywood" and he developed a creak in his voice. Then Don suggests he takes a break. The next bit has the "scrib" asking "the pavanne" what does he think which gets a response of "All right" which I think is Bill. When it came to laying down the lead vocal track, I think it would have been just those three in the studio (and possibly an engineer).

A lot of the spoken stuff is Glenn, proving himself as the guy who talks a lot. That includes the dedication for Billy Frank Szymczyck "you got your AQ... you got your curly hair..."

"Rub your tummy with linseed oil" could be Bill. He has a deeper voice than anyone in the band.

The "my nerves are fried" has more than one person. My guess is it starts with Glenn "my nerves are fried from drinking and being in lurve ..." and Joe starts to come in at about 2:54 and several people contribute lines, including Don Felder. "Do it too good, we'll have to write lyrics to it" sounds like Glenn.

I wondered if "scrib" was a cartoon character but I've found no matches so maybe it was just part of their private band language.

As for why someone would call Bill, "Pavanne", he produced Joe Walsh's "So What?" album which included "Pavanne for the Sleeping Beauty" (I know that links it with Joe, too, but Bill works better for context).

sodascouts
07-20-2016, 09:14 AM
I always thought the "my nerves are fried from drinkin' and bein' in love" was Don Henley. It sounds so Texan, lol, but Glenn could do that accent if he wanted, so who knows.

shunlvswx
07-20-2016, 09:18 AM
I always thought the "my nerves are fried" line was Joe.

UndertheWire
07-20-2016, 09:19 AM
I always thought the "my nerves are fried from drinkin' and bein' in love" was Don Henley. It sounds so Texan, lol, but Glenn could do that accent if he wanted, so who knows.
It could be Don. I realise I can't think of a time when I've heard him putting on a "voice" but there are enough pictures that show him messing around to make it likely that he did.

sodascouts
07-20-2016, 09:44 AM
I heard him put on an "old man" voice one time, but I can't remember where!

Funk 50
07-20-2016, 02:58 PM
I've just had a little search to see if anyone has put the lyrics to Random Victims,Pt 3 on the internet.

I've only found the first line;

"Just don't die before we get this track started"
It should be "Just don't die before we get this track Szymczyk, it'll upset the whole schedule" Spoken by Joe. Laughter from Glenn and others.

Sorry to be a pedant UnderTheWire, you know I can't help it, :ziplip: but wouldn't it be EQ rather than AQ and Szymczyk didn't actually produce Joe's Pavanne. Bill produced Song For Emma. The rest of the So What album was produced by John Stronach. I dunno why Glenn refers to Bill as Pavanne, if that is indeed what he says.

The "My nerves are fried" line I thought was Henley. "I'm not as bad as you guys say I am" sounds like something Henley would say but I wouldn't think of him moaning about being pernickety. He was known for being the most pernickety guy in the band, so maybe it's Glenn :shrug:

Don does an old man voice during the Teenage Jail bit. He does a few Monty Python voices too or is it Glenn? :dizzy:

NightMistBlue
07-20-2016, 03:16 PM
It sounds like Randy saying, "This will go straight to mono" or was this all during the Long Run era?

sodascouts
07-20-2016, 06:05 PM
No, there's stuff from the HC era too.

TequilaSunrise82
07-29-2016, 11:00 AM
The "scrib" is actually a muppet named Scred who according to muppetwiki was the "put-upon servant and sidekick to King Ploobis in "The Land of Gorch" segments" from Saturday Night Live.

I must have seen this somewhere as a kid and forgotten about it because when I heard Glenn doing that voice the first thing that came to my mind was an ugly muppet. Sure enough after googling it, I found he is just as ugly as my subconscious remembers...

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g249/mbunches2121/4c6ba0135294d6f99c4bb7629fae4480_zps80elv4da.jpg (http://s58.photobucket.com/user/mbunches2121/media/4c6ba0135294d6f99c4bb7629fae4480_zps80elv4da.jpg.h tml)

Here's a link to a video I found, apparently "crater-head" was this guy's catchphrase. He's the one in the top right drawer:
https://vimeo.com/24652753

UndertheWire
07-29-2016, 11:47 AM
The "scrib" is actually a muppet named Scred who according to muppetwiki was the "put-upon servant and sidekick to King Ploobis in "The Land of Gorch" segments" from Saturday Night Live.

I must have seen this somewhere as a kid and forgotten about it because when I heard Glenn doing that voice the first thing that came to my mind was an ugly muppet. Sure enough after googling it, I found he is just as ugly as my subconscious remembers...

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g249/mbunches2121/4c6ba0135294d6f99c4bb7629fae4480_zps80elv4da.jpg (http://s58.photobucket.com/user/mbunches2121/media/4c6ba0135294d6f99c4bb7629fae4480_zps80elv4da.jpg.h tml)

Here's a link to a video I found, apparently "crater-head" was this guy's catchphrase. He's the one in the top right drawer:
https://vimeo.com/24652753

Oh, Wow! That's great. Mystery solved. Even the "All right!" is from one of the characters. James Taylor! (and Lily Tomlin?) and David Sanborn (who played on The Long Run).

sodascouts
07-29-2016, 12:29 PM
Ah! Mystery solved!

shunlvswx
07-29-2016, 12:30 PM
I've never heard of that. Interesting.

NightMistBlue
07-29-2016, 02:43 PM
Scred was cute! (showing my age here) He had a sweet little scratchy voice. No wonder Lily wanted to kiss him.

Funk 50
07-29-2016, 04:45 PM
Thanks for posting the link TequilaSunrise82. Mystery Solved indeed!:p

While looking for an Eagles Bootleg DVD, I've found a link to Soul Pole Vol. 3, which is the source material of Random Victims, Pt 3

http://theultimatebootlegexperience7.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/The%20Eagles
Posted Saturday, March 19, 2016

Eagles on "Soul Pole" Vol. 3
Date: 1976-77
Quality: A/A-/B+ (varies)
Source: Studio
Discs: Two
Running Time:83:43

Eagles sessions from 1976 and 1977
Edited by their producer Bill Szymczyk and given to all participants as Christmas gifts, Dec 12, 1977
Limited to 50 copies and given out to contributors to the album.

These originally would have been vinyl LPs so the quality may be a bit iffy but it's clips of Bill S. and the guys at work in the studio.

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f145/the-eagles-1976-1977-studio-outtakes-soul-pole-vol-3-stu-flac-214671.html

:thumbsup:

UndertheWire
08-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the Soul Pole link.

One of the tracks is called "The Moose Goosers" and sounds like Joe. It has the "Rub your belly in linseed oil" line which is followed by "Wrap your head in aluminum foil".

UndertheWire
02-21-2018, 05:26 PM
Reviving this thread because there's an overlap with a link posted in another thread.

Here’s another outtakes, banter, and lost songs video it’s during the long run era. Link: https://youtu.be/1eHuBwXQBIU

So any thoughts on who is who?

FannyBeTender
02-22-2018, 01:26 PM
Reviving this thread because there's an overlap with a link posted in another thread.

So any thoughts on who is who?

I'd be interested to know as well. :thumbsup: