PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Tell You Why

Shadowland07
03-04-2010, 01:53 AM
its probably an obvious answer but who is singing the high harmony vocal and who's singing the low? I know its Don and Glenn but i was watching Hell Freezes Over and during the performance i noticed Glenn was struggling to go high and so i thought he was singing the low while Don was singing the high

Maleah
03-04-2010, 01:55 AM
As far as I've always understood, Glenn sings the low harmony and Don sings the high

Shadowland07
03-04-2010, 01:59 AM
at first i thought that Glenn sang the high harmony cause it sorta sounded like the high vocals that he does in "King of Hollywood"

As far as I've always understood, Glenn sings the low harmony and Don sings the high

sodascouts
03-04-2010, 03:22 PM
I've always thought Glenn did the low harmony, too.

Freypower
03-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Glenn has always done the low harmony parts in recent years. His part in King Of Hollywood is a second lead.

sodascouts
11-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Another thread that's started out about vocals, but can include lyrics analysis.

There's often been debate about whether this is a love song or not. While they seem to love each other, the relationship is so problematic that I think it doesn't fall under that category.

To me, the lyrics say "OK, I'll stay with you, but I can't tell you why I bother when we're so unhappy." Not exactly romantic.

Freypower
11-14-2012, 07:16 PM
But not all love songs have to be gushingly romantic the way for example Love Will Keep Us Alive is. This song is about a 'real' releationship with its 'peaks & valleys' & is therefore far superior to me at least. You know the couple will make it (in the long run) but like everyone, sometimes they are not entirely sure of each other.

Prettymaid
11-14-2012, 09:14 PM
To me, the lyrics say "OK, I'll stay with you, but I can't tell you why I bother when we're so unhappy." Not exactly romantic.

Lol! You have a way with words, Miss Soda!

But yeah, the title of the song is the answer to a couple of questions:

I can't tell you why I stay.

I can't tell you why we make it harder than it has to be.

But I hold out more hope for this couple than Soda does, based on the second verse. He tells her she doesn't "have to worry", to "just hold on tight 'cause I love you", and my favorite line, "We make it harder than it has to be." Boy, can I relate to that lyric! :blush:

VAisForEagleLovers
11-14-2012, 09:29 PM
The lyrics:

Look at us baby, up all night
Tearing our love apart
Aren't we the same two people
Who lived through years in the dark?
Every time I try to walk away
Something makes me turn around and stay
And I can't tell you why

When we get crazy, it just ain't right
(Try to keep your head, little girl)
Girl, I get lonely, too
You don't have to worry
Just hold on tight
(Don't get caught in your little world)
'Cause I love you
Nothing's wrong as far as I can see
We make it harder than it has to be
And I can't tell you why
No, baby, I can't tell you why
I can't tell you why

Every time I try to walk away
Something makes me turn around and stay
And I can't tell you why
No, no, baby, I can't tell you why
I can't tell you why
I can't tell you why

VAisForEagleLovers
11-14-2012, 09:41 PM
I agree with FP on this. It's the old (and correct) school of thought that when something is broken, you don't throw it away, you fix it. 'Something makes me turn around and stay'. I always thought the 'I Can't Tell You Why' was more about why it got broken, and less about why he turns around and stays. I can't tell you why we keep getting to this point, etc.

'Hold on tight' to me means don't make it easy for me to walk away. Fight for me if I do. Stick to me and remind me that the anger and frustration of the moment are small compared to what we have together.

EaglesKiwi
11-15-2012, 03:51 AM
Thinking about why he's staying might be the first step to fixing what is wrong, too!

chaim
11-15-2012, 07:32 AM
These two people (in the song) seem to have a serious communication problem.

TimothyBFan
11-15-2012, 09:41 AM
This song just kills me every time I hear it!!!! Even reading the lyrics on the previous page, I can hear Timothy's voice in my head and it gives me chills. From the very first lyric, "Look at us baby, up all night".... who of us hear hasn't been in a relationship (good or bad) who hasn't spent a night or two, up all night, trying to work out a problem with either the relationship or something else (kids, money, etc)? I tend to lean toward they're trying to fix it but sometimes I can't tell you why. No matter how bad it may seem, just "hold on tight", and we'll manage to get through it. Know what I mean?