PDA

View Full Version : Selected Works Picture

Ive always been a dreamer
03-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Yesterday I pulled my Selected Works Box Set out to respond to a question in another thread, and something jumped out at me that I had never noticed before. On page 7 of the booklet that is included in the set, there is a picture of the On the Border/One of These Nights band lineup with the quote "Who can go the distance? We'll find out in the long run" printed on the bottom. I scanned it, but it's not very good quality ...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/kay8342/SWpic.jpg

So whadaya think? Is this coincidence that all three of the former members were included in this picture with Don and Glenn? Now, at the time the booklet was printed, Felder may have still been part of the band. However, by the time the box set was released in November, 2000, he was history. There is no question that part of the reason for Felder's firing was related to the release of this box set. I don't think this picture was coincidence at all.

Freypower
03-04-2010, 09:33 PM
It's my understanding that he was fired in 2001. His book gives the date as February of that year (p 317).

He says that he(reluctantly) signed the box set deal in November and was told by Irving not to contact Glenn or Don (p 315).

03-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Yeah - I guess I didn't make myself very clear, FP. I shouldn't have said he was history in November, 2000 since he technically wasn't fired until Feb. 2001. However, what I meant is that I think he was probably on his way out for some time prior to the actual date he was terminated. I think the caption on that picture is very telling, and supports this theory.

Freypower
03-04-2010, 10:46 PM
But do you think they were really going to take a shot at him in that way, given that they knew of his tendency to complain about absolutely everything?

That part of the book is very sketchy, if the truth be told. It also includes his claim that the music used for the HFO tour intermission was written by Timothy Drury and he was denied royalties for the use of it - when I think the music referred to here is Silent Spring.

sodascouts
03-05-2010, 12:08 AM
If they wanted to take a dig at Felder, I don't think it would matter to them whether or not he would complain about it.

How involved were they in the selection of artwork/captions? Not choosing the Long Run lineup for lyrics from "The Long Run" does seem odd, but it could just be ignorance on the part of who was doing the choosing. After all, it's credited to "the Eagles" and not just "Eagles"!

If it was meant to be a joke/dig, it's a zinger... but I lean towards it being a coincidence.

03-05-2010, 12:33 AM
I agree that they would not have been concerned about Felder complaining at this point. But as meticulous as Don and Glenn are known to be, I find it hard to believe that this is an oversight or accident. Of course, it is possible that it's coincidental, but I'm not convinced. :nope:

GettheLeadonOut!!
03-05-2010, 12:56 AM
But is it a "dig" at Randy and Bernie? They didn't quit because they couldn't "go the distance". They were just sick of dealing with Glenn.

03-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Well, if you accept that the photo is a "dig", then I guess it is a dig at Bernie and Randy to some extent. It could be interpreted as just a message to Felder that you are soon going to be like these guys - an ex-Eagle. Or it could be looked at that Bernie and Randy didn't "go the distance" because the fact of the matter is they did quit. Regardless of their reasons, they still quit. People can blame whatever or whoever you want for their departures, but Glenn, Don H., Joe, and Timothy have all gone "the distance" and remained with the band (albeit with a 14-year vacation in between).

GettheLeadonOut!!
03-05-2010, 02:52 PM
With all respect, I agree that Don and Glenn have "gone the distance" so to speak but Joe & Timothy got a HUGE baton handed to them by Randy & Bernie. Glenn is the leader of the band today but it didn't start that way. Personally, I don't think the caption is a mean spirited dig, but if you strip away that caption, the photo tells a different story.

TimothyBFan
03-08-2010, 08:34 AM
but Joe & Timothy got a HUGE baton handed to them by Randy & Bernie.

Maybe--but they took it and ran like h*ll with it!