PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Song Survivor: On the Border

Pages : [1] 2

sodascouts
03-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Time for our next Song Survivor! Our album this time will be On The Border. If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551&postcount=7)

I'm going to list the songs of On The Border here. Vote for the song that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The song that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "Voted off of the island.") Each round, one more song will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for your LEAST favorite, not your favorite.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will end at 8:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Votes cannot be cast after the cut off time of 8:00 on the second day, and they cannot be changed once you have voted.

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared.

For this Survivor, we also have immunity questions. We won't have immunity questions on the first or second-to-last-rounds, and of course we won't have them for the last round, lol. However, for the other rounds, we will.

Here's how immunity questions work. At the beginning of the round, I ask a question related to one of the songs on On the Border. The first person who answers the question correctly gets to pick a remaining song to be immune - no one can vote for it on the next round. I'll allow two hours for someone to answer. If no one gets it right by then, then we continue the round as normal without any song being immune. You only get one guess per round, so be careful!

And the winner is....
THE BEST OF MY LOVE!

Songs Eliminated:
You Never Cry Like a Lover 3/24
Is It True 3/26
Good Day in Hell 3/28
On the Border 3/30
Midnight Flyer 4/01
My Man 4/03
James Dean 4/05
Ol' 55 4/07
Already Gone 4/09

Game over!

sodascouts
03-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Alright, here we go! I know not everyone agrees with my assessment of this song, but nevertheless, I find it pretty sexist. On a musical level, while it does have some interesting parts (the intro, the "I was hoping you were the one" segment, the carousel metaphor), overall I don't think it has as much going for it as the rest of the songs on the album. Therefore...

I cast my vote for You Never Cry Like a Lover.

EagleLady
03-22-2010, 08:32 PM
I vote For Good Day In Hell

pueblo47
03-22-2010, 08:44 PM
I vote for You Never Cry Like A Lover

Ive always been a dreamer
03-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Even though I am not ready to vote yet, I want to encourage everyone to vote for Is It True as the first song to eliminate in the game. Now, honestly, I really like every song on this album, so this is going to be a tough game for me. However, even though it is a good song, I think Is It True is the weakest song on the album. I think You Never Cry Like a Lover is stronger, and I'm one that disagrees with Soda's assessment that it is sexist. I see it more as a lover's lament about a relationship that is falling apart. I love Don's vocals and the music in the song.

Freypower
03-22-2010, 09:02 PM
I cast my vote for You Never Cry Like A Lover.

While Is It True isn't that great a song it has a ruminative, thoughtful feel about it - 'I can change some/if that's important to you'.... but no, 'she's really leaving' anyway. YNCLAL, on the other hand, attacks the woman from the outset with only a hint of regret ('I was hopin' you were the one' and perhaps 'come on & cry'). Don sings it very well, but the guitar solo is completely at odds with the rest of the music.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
03-22-2010, 09:08 PM
I Cast My Vote for Is It True

cynd1231
03-22-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm afraid I have to cast my vote for Is It True

luvthelighthouse
03-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Holy crud! I can't believe it! Really, people voting for Is it Tru? I'm shocked! I was just commenting in another thread how much I love Randy's vocals. This is actually one of my favorite Eagles songs. (then again, most are) :)

I used to not really care for YNCLAL... but it's grown on me, much like fungus and warts. :nahnah: I was thinking of going with James Dean, because it's one of two songs I usually skip on the album. However, if it's close, between YNCLAL and IIT, I may have to help one of those out... so I'm holding my vote for now.

SAVE IS IT TRU!!!

bernie's bender
03-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Is it True has some of the nastiest (in a good way) slide playing on any of their records (bordering on the raspiness of OOTN)

the harmonies on the song are amazing and the lyrics... oh to be wounded in that way. A counselor friend of mine told me that one of the most damaging things to happen for a male is to be cheated on...

I think it is a great song.

The two songs I'm considering voting for are: My Man (I love Bernie, but the vocals are weak and the sentiment is sappy and it is about a guy who was jealous of the Eagles and trashed them) and the second one I'm considering voting for is Ol 55. Tom Waits (the songwriter) has consistently dogged the Eagles and this version even though it allowed Tom to tour and live for years while his other songs and his singing (although I am a fan) have been obscure and rarely heard.

I also think that the songs that should go first are the ones that the boys or their homies (like David Blue or JD) wrote.

YNCLAL musically is fantastic. The melody soars, changes in tempo, and most importantly it is the first use of Henley's trademark piano chord extensions that build the tension he later uses in songs like "New York Minute" and "Wasted Time".... this is the primordial beginning of so many great Henley songs... Hard to kill off a song that was so important to the development of a great songwriter.

Even accepting the misogyny argument, it remains important because it shows the progress the boys made from being political neophytes, troglodytic in the ways of the fairer sex, to the urbane family men of today.

"lickety splitly" really?

"he's far beyond the pain" oy vey....

Yeah, either of those can go... Is it true is a good song with the genesis of several sounds that would become signatures for the band... in the meantime, all My Man led to was I wish you peace which might be the worst Eagles song of all time... and Ol 55 was a dead end.

Continuity and growth along a continuum count (for me)

AzEaglesFan
03-23-2010, 02:32 AM
I vote for You Never Cry Like a Lover

Koala
03-23-2010, 02:42 AM
I cast my vote for You Never Cry Like A Lover.

Brooke
03-23-2010, 10:34 AM
I've been listening and thinking about these songs trying to figure out how to vote this time around.

Very interesting comments everyone. They do help. And although I agree with Soda that YNCLAL is sexist, I like the song. Don's voice on it is amazing.

Therefore, I cast my vote for Ol' 55. I don't mind 'lickety splitly', it's just kind of boring to me.

EagleLady
03-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Brooke, :steviesmack: :hilarious:

eaglesvet
03-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Context, baby, context! I could NEVER vote out "Ol' 55"--I love that song! Maybe because in my younger, carefree, :heybaby: single days, I had not one, but two, Eagles-lovin' college boyfriends who each "uniquely" dedicated this song to me, his Lady Luck! :inlove: In fact, boyfriend #1 gave me the "On the Border" album with a long handwritten inscription to this effect on the cover, which I still have to this day (hey, it's my ONLY copy of a great album!) I've since had to maneuver to 'cover the cover' from subsequent Eagles-lovin' lovers. My hubby has never mentioned it. :hilarious: But I digress.

Anyway, now you know why my votes will probably be 180 degrees from most everyone else's!

The song I most often skip, and therefore am voting off, is
"Midnight Flyer."

sodascouts
03-23-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm with you on Ol' 55. In fact I may pull out my Ol' 55 avatar if it starts getting hairy around here. There's something about that song that just makes me smile, makes me feel all warm inside. Glenn and Don's vocals work perfectly together. I hope it stays around a very long time!

eaglesvet
03-23-2010, 12:20 PM
You don't even want to know how many times I can hit 'repeat' when I reach it on the CD in the car. :hilarious:

EagleLady
03-23-2010, 12:24 PM
I repeat it as well. Such a beautiful song

sodascouts
03-23-2010, 02:00 PM
By the way, those of you who have not yet voted and want to SAVE Ol' 55 or Is It True need to join me in forming a coalition and VOTE FOR YOU NEVER CRY LIKE A LOVER. Otherwise the vote will be split and one of your favorites could go!

Brooke
03-23-2010, 03:37 PM
You don't even want to know how many times I can hit 'repeat' when I reach it on the CD in the car. :hilarious:

Really? Ol'55? Not one of my faves. :shrug:

GlennLover
03-23-2010, 05:24 PM
I vote You Never Cry Like I Lover. I never cared much for the song & it is the one i am most likely to skip. I find that it doesn't flow well, that it's rather disjointed. No pleasing melody.

Peekaboo
03-23-2010, 05:28 PM
My vote in this first round is going for Is It True. I like You Never Cry Like A Lover. I think Don's vocals are great on that song. I love how he sings really soft, like almost a whisper, in the beginning.

Prettymaid
03-23-2010, 05:30 PM
YNCLAL sounds to me as if he's saying his girlfriend(?) is generally too guarded, not just sexually. It's near the bottom of my list.

Is It True sounds like a throw-away to me - not much going on there.

Ol' 55 - Are you kidding me? I can't believe it's getting votes already!!!

I'll cast my vote later.

UK TimFan
03-23-2010, 07:44 PM
I vote for 'You never cry like a lover' to be 'off the border'. :)

Glennhoney
03-23-2010, 08:44 PM
..You never cry like a lover........is also my vote.....

TimothyBFan
03-24-2010, 07:59 AM
As I usually do, I will be voting from the heart. I hate to say it, but Is It True and Ol' 55 are near the bottom of my list. But at this time, I will vote for my very least favorite on the album...

I vote for You Never Cry Like A Lover

luvthelighthouse
03-24-2010, 10:32 AM
I too will be voting for my least favorite: James Dean

It's almost seams doo-wopish it me. Something I enjoy, but not from the Eagles. I only like one part, "along came a Spyder, picked up a rider, took him down the road to eternity."

Some lyrics seem like they were written by pre-teens.
"We'll talk about a low-down bad refrigerator,
You were just too cool for school
Sock hop, soda pop, basketball and auto shop,
The only thing that got you off was breakin' all the rules "

Really, bad refrigerator? UGH! I'll take "lickity splitly" over this!

Also, I see many of you don't like Is It Tru and will also soon be on it's way out. I really like this song! I think Randy sells it. He's the heartbroken guy whos woman is leaving and he wants her to stay. I can buy this from him. I really enjoy the harmonies and this line, "I was a wild one, but I can change some If that's important to you " - Actually, I think someone else mentioned that line earlier... probably because it has so much true sentiment to it. Grasping at straws to keep your love from leaving you. I feel Randy's vocals and he's what sells it for me. I'm not sure if I would like it as much of one of the others had sung it.

sodascouts
03-24-2010, 10:37 AM
I really enjoy the harmonies and this line, "I was a wild one, but I can change some If that's important to you " - Actually, I think someone else mentioned that line earlier... probably because it has so much true sentiment to it. Grasping at straws to keep your love from leaving you.

Funny - although I like the melody, that's my least favorite line of the song. When a guy promises to change because "that's important to you" - in other words, he doesn't think it's important but feels forced to do it to get the girl to stay - well, he'll secretly resent that and soon enough will go back to his old "wild" habits.

Never try to change a man, ladies! It doesn't work unless it's important to him.

ETA: It's also funny how he seems to be kind of feeling her out about it - "if that's important to you" - he apparently doesn't even know for sure if she wants him to change, and he sure as hell isn't going to change if he doesn't have to!

Troubadour
03-24-2010, 12:51 PM
I cast my vote for Is It True.

This was really tough. I like every song on the album, but there are a couple that kind of float around the bottom somewhere for me - and Is It True is one of them.

I'm not ready to vote for You Never Cry Like A Lover yet. I don't quite get the same feeling from it as some do regarding the sexist attitudes (although I can see how it could be interpreted that way), and I just love Don's voice on it. It really kicks into gear near the end with the "I was thinking you were the one" part.

Prettymaid
03-24-2010, 03:36 PM

I don't like the melody of the song. To me it's boring and sounds dated.

luvthelighthouse
03-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Soda, I agree w/your take on the line... that's why I commented, it's like he's grasping at straws. He knows it's not really going to make her stay, but he's so sad/desperate for her to stay, he'll say anything. How many people have been there? KWIM

I had the pleasure of listening to the whole CD again while driving home. I started yelling at "don" during YNCLAL... I'm pointing at the radio yelling, "why don't YOU try a little harder. maybe YOU suck in bed, or are just generally a bad boyfriend":hilarious: Yes, I was cracking myself up. Listened to ITT, three times. Harmony, melody, Randy's vocals... ah... I know it's going to be short lived, but "I" still love it. Troub and PM, it was not nice of you to vote it off after I expressed my love for it! :hand:

TimothyBFan
03-24-2010, 04:09 PM
I had the pleasure of listening to the whole CD again while driving home. I started yelling at "don" during YNCLAL... I'm pointing at the radio yelling, "why don't YOU try a little harder. maybe YOU suck in bed, or are just generally a bad boyfriend":hilarious: Yes, I was cracking myself up.

You are cracking me up also!! :hilarious: And I've thought the same with that song. I will say tho that I voted it off because I just don't like it not because I think it's sexist or anything. I really don't see it that way.

sodascouts
03-24-2010, 04:47 PM
I started yelling at "don" during YNCLAL... I'm pointing at the radio yelling, "why don't YOU try a little harder. maybe YOU suck in bed, or are just generally a bad boyfriend":hilarious:
I'm with Willie - LOL!!!! Tell it like it is, girl! ;)

Glennsallnighter
03-24-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm belting in here for about 5 minutes. I love all the discussion this first round has generated. For the record, I cast my vote for 'You Never Cry Like A Lover'

03-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Well, Soda, as much as I disagree about the lyrics to YNCLAL being sexist, I totally agree with your assessment of "Is It True". I particularly think it is funny how Randy promises that he "can change some" if it's important to her. In other words, she shouldn't be expecting too much. :grin:

Well, I said earlier, I was hoping this was going to be the first song to go in the game, and I would have voted for it if it had been necessary. But, it looks as if YNCLAL is doomed here, so I am going to vote strategically. I love this song, but I don't want it to win the game, so I'm joining Brooke here ...

I cast my vote for Ol' 55.

Prettymaid
03-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Troub and PM, it was not nice of you to vote it off after I expressed my love for it! :hand:

Well LTL, you can't always get what you want...oh wait a minute...wrong band. :hilarious:

sodascouts
03-24-2010, 08:13 PM
The first song to be voted off of On the Border Survivor is You Never Cry Like a Lover, with 10 votes. Don't worry “You Never Cry Like a Lover” - life goes on, like a broken-down carousel... anyway, the tribe has spoken and it's time for you to leave the island. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
You Never Cry Like a Lover – 10
Is It True – 5
Ol' 55 - 2
Good Day in Hell – 1
Midnight Flyer - 1
James Dean - 1

Vote Breakdown
You Never Cry Like a Lover – sodascouts
You Never Cry Like a Lover - pueblo47
You Never Cry Like a Lover – Freypower
You Never Cry Like a Lover – AzEaglesFan
You Never Cry Like a Lover - Koala
You Never Cry Like a Lover - GlennLover
You Never Cry Like a Lover - UK TimFan
You Never Cry Like a Lover - Glennhoney
You Never Cry Like a Lover - TimothyBFan
You Never Cry Like a Lover - Glennsallnighter
Is It True - The Girl of Summer
Is It True - cynd1231
Is It True - Peekaboo
Is It True - Troubadour
Is It True - Prettymaid
Ol' 55 - Brooke
Ol' 55 - Ive always been a dreamer
Good Day in Hell - EagleLady
Midnight Flyer - eaglesvet
James Dean - luvthelighthouse

Songs eliminated:
You Never Cry Like a Lover 03/24

Songs remaining:
Already Gone
Midnight Flyer
My Man
On the Border
James Dean
Ol' 55
Is It True
Good Day in Hell
The Best of My Love

Voting for Round 2 begins after the following immunity question is answered:

Which song from On the Border was the band's first #1 hit?

Remember to include both your answer and the song you want immune in order for it to be counted.

Prettymaid
03-24-2010, 08:14 PM
The Best Of My Love

If correct immune Ol' 55.

luvthelighthouse
03-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Dang it! I walked from downstairs to upstairs and that's when you posted and PM beat me! UGH... should I say my goodbyes to ITT now?

I'm not sad about YNCLAL. I don't mind it, but I can see why it doesn't hold mass appeal I mean, it had to grow on me.

Not sure what my next vote will be... gonna think about this one, since I have a few on the bottom of my list.

sodascouts
03-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Excellent! Yes, that's right.

OL' 55 is immune.

Round 2 starts NOW!

sodascouts
03-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Well, that was an easy immunity question to start us off, but they'll get harder. ;)

Not sure what I'm gonna vote for this round... have to think about it.

EagleLady
03-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Again I vote for Good Day In Hell.

Freypower
03-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Thank goodness Ol '55 is immune. I am baffled by the fact that there have already been votes for it.

Re Is It True... the man isn't perfect and he's battling with his feelings. When he says 'I can change some' he's being honest and when he says 'if that's important to you' he is really trying to work out what she wants so he can adjust. I don't see it as grudging or that she should not expect too much.

Having said that I again vote for Is It True because there are many better songs on the album.

pueblo47
03-24-2010, 11:31 PM
I vote for Is It True

eaglesvet
03-24-2010, 11:36 PM
Let's try another approach....I vote "Good Day in Hell."

AzEaglesFan
03-25-2010, 01:51 AM
Good Day in Hell because there are songs I like better.

Koala
03-25-2010, 01:56 AM

TimothyBFan
03-25-2010, 07:00 AM
This is another easy round for me.

I vote for Is It True

Prettymaid
03-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Maybe it's time to form a coalition.

Save Good Day In Hell!

Vote for Is It True!

I will see how the coalitions form and save my vote for now.

luvthelighthouse
03-25-2010, 09:56 AM
PM, don't make me get out the sabers!:saberfight: I know it's ITT will soon be leaving... but adding salt to the wound w/a coalition... that just hurts! :weep:

I need to hear some arguements for GDIH, because that and James Dean are at the bottom of my list.

Brooke
03-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Good Day In Hell? Noooooooooooo!

It's a rockin' song that Glenn performs sooooooo well in the Houston 76 boot!

Save Good Day In Hell! :pray:

I haven't decided what to vote for yet either, since Ol' 55 is immune. Pm.........:-x Just kidding, of course.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
03-25-2010, 11:09 AM
I cast my vote for Is It True

Prettymaid
03-25-2010, 11:18 AM
PM, don't make me get out the sabers!:saberfight: I know it's ITT will soon be leaving... but adding salt to the wound w/a coalition... that just hurts! :weep:

I need to hear some arguements for GDIH, because that and James Dean are at the bottom of my list.

Sorry LTL, nothing personal, just playing the game!

In answer to your question, for me, James Dean is the epitome of the sound the Eagles were originally going for, that rockabilly vibe. I'm not saying it's the best the album has to offer, but c'mon - it's much more Eagley than IIT - if that's a voting criteria for anyone.

As far as GDIH, the melody alone could beat up IIT with one hand tied behind its back. :hilarious:

Of course everyone's taste is different. It seems to me, LTL, while you seem to go more for the softer ballads, I usually go for the rockers. But there are exceptions to every rule.;)

Peekaboo
03-25-2010, 06:14 PM
As far as GDIH, the melody alone could beat up IIT with one hand tied behind its back. :hilarious:

Well said, PM. I completely agree. :thumbsup:

Of course everyone's taste is different. It seems to me, LTL, while you seem to go more for the softer ballads, I usually go for the rockers. But there are exceptions to every rule.;)

I'm a softy when it comes to the ballads. I just love to hear the guys voices (especially Don's :smitten:) get all soulful and sweet on a ballad. But I think I like to rock out more. There's nothing like rocking out to a great song...especially one by our guys.

I'm gonna stick with my same vote from round one: Is It True

Troubadour
03-25-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm disappointed You Never Cry Like A Lover was voted out first. I think I'll have to give it an extra-loud "farewell" airing in a minute!

For this round, I will stick with my previous choice and vote for Is It True.

sodascouts
03-25-2010, 07:40 PM
OK... I think I'm gonna surprise a few people...

I cast my vote for On the Border.

::runs and hides::

pueblo47
03-25-2010, 08:47 PM
:samurai:
OK... I think I'm gonna surprise a few people...

I cast my vote for On the Border.

Grrrrrrr, I like that one!!!

Prettymaid
03-25-2010, 09:06 PM

Don't hide Soda. On The Border has that funky vibe I'm not too crazy about either.

pueblo47
03-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Don't hide Soda. On The Border has that funky vibe I'm not too crazy about either.

GRRRRRRRR to you too!!!!!:machinegun:

:hilarious:

luvthelighthouse
03-25-2010, 09:24 PM
If you hide, I may find you and hide with you. Not a favorite of mine either.

pueblo47
03-25-2010, 09:38 PM
If you hide, I may find you and hide with you. Not a favorite of mine either.

I'm surrounded by pagans!!!!!!:brickwall: On The Border is cool!! Plus I think that's Glenn saying You in trouble, boy! Remember how deep and low he sounds in the chorus of Dirty Laundry.

UK TimFan
03-26-2010, 07:54 AM
I'm voting to lose 'Good day in hell' as it's one of my two least favourites left.

Brooke
03-26-2010, 09:58 AM
:-o GDIH is a rocker! I love it. Please keep it around for a while longer.

I vote for Midnight Flyer. Too much banjo for me.

pueblo47
03-26-2010, 10:09 AM
:-o GDIH is a rocker! I love it. Please keep it around for a while longer.

I vote for Midnight Flyer. Too much banjo for me.

Grrrrrrr, that's one of my favorite Randy/Bernie vocals!!! I see my sensitive feelings are gonna take a pounding on this game.:fight:

luvthelighthouse
03-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Grrrrrrr, that's one of my favorite Randy/Bernie vocals!!! I see my sensitive feelings are gonna take a pounding on this game.:fight:

LOL... that's what happened to me during Timothy's Expando survivor. It sure is fun to hear everyones thoughts though.

PM, you are right, I am a sappy ballad gal. Some of my favorite songs are Power Ballads from the 80's -90's! lol

GlennLover
03-26-2010, 12:10 PM
NOOOOOOOO! Not GDIH or MF!!!! I love them both!!!!!

pueblo47
03-26-2010, 12:21 PM
LOL... that's what happened to me during Timothy's Expando survivor. It sure is fun to hear everyones thoughts though.

PM, you are right, I am a sappy ballad gal. Some of my favorite songs are Power Ballads from the 80's -90's! lol

That's ok, I got my next least fav song picked out for the next round already. Actually I should have voted it out first cuz I really truly don't like it or the subject matter but my turn's coming:pimp:.

luvthelighthouse
03-26-2010, 12:35 PM
In answer to your question, for me, James Dean is the epitome of the sound the Eagles were originally going for, that rockabilly vibe. I'm not saying it's the best the album has to offer, but c'mon - it's much more Eagley than IIT - if that's a voting criteria for anyone.

I have to respectfully disagree. I do not feel that James Dean it the sound of the Eagles at all! It's so 50ish... more going backwards than forwards for the time. IIT has the soft melody that is Eagly. :laugh: I love how we use that term!

JD just does not move me at all! Since I voted for it last round, I'm going to share the wealth and change it up a bit. This round I vote for A Good Day in Hell. (sorry PM, you know I still luv ya!)

GlennLover
03-26-2010, 01:20 PM
NOOO LTL, say it isn't so!

PM, I love James Dean, especially the way Glenn sings "talk about a low down bad refridgerator"! We're lucky that the Eagles are versatile & play songs to suit all out tastes :grin:!

03-26-2010, 02:36 PM
I agree with what GL said about the band’s versatility, and have said many times that I believe that one of the things that makes the Eagles so unique and special is that they are able to sound so different from one song to another. With four lead vocalists, all with very different individual voices and styles, they are able to make such diverse music, while still staying true to the Eagles sound. I can't think of any other artist that can play bluegrass to hard rock and everything else in between and sound as good as this band. I think James Dean is a very clever and rocking song – love how they use the jargon from that era to describe the ‘50’s icon. Also, it has great music, vocals, and harmonies. And Good Day In Hell also rocks. I know it seems to be getting a lot of early votes, but I hope it lasts longer in the game (hint hint – someone could make it immune :wink: ). I absolutely love the song, and think it deserves to stay around for a while. This is the problem though when you have a great album with so many good songs – none of them deserves to go. However, it must be done. I have to vote early, and I am going to gamble a bit and say that Is It True is going down this time. So my vote goes to the next song I want to go after Is It True. I like this song a lot, but since bluegrass isn’t my favorite style …

I cast my vote for Midnight Flyer.

Freypower
03-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Re Good Day In Hell - to me it is far & away the best track on the album. If it goes I will be stunned. I think it sums up the band's lifestyle at the time better than any other song. It's so good it's almost Rolling Stones level in its casual decadence. I am mainly a rockers person rather than a ballad person.

I'm glad Dreamer said that about the 50s jargon in James Dean because that's the point of it. But as a song, LTL is probably right in that it isn't very Eagley (same with OTB). One of the strengths of this album is the way they opened out & tried a few different styles of music.

Prettymaid
03-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Well, it looks like the coalition worked and Is It True is going to leave the island tonight. But just to mess with LTL I'll cast one more vote for it. ;)

Sorry LTL, just kidding. I am going to vote for it, but not to mess with you. The votes are still just a little too close for me!

Glennsallnighter
03-26-2010, 07:27 PM
As do I!
Just to clarify, I cast my vote for 'Is It True'

GlennLover
03-26-2010, 07:50 PM
I cast my vote for "Is It True?"

sodascouts
03-26-2010, 08:06 PM
The second song to be voted off of On the Border Survivor is Is It True with 10 votes. “Is It True" - you're really leaving the island. The tribe has spoken. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
Is It True – 10
Good Day in Hell – 5
Midnight Flyer - 2
On the Border - 1

Vote Breakdown
Is It True - Freypower
Is It True - pueblo47
Is It True - Koala
Is It True - TimothyBFan
Is It True - The Girl of Summer
Is It True - Peekaboo
Is It True - Troubadour
Is It True - Prettymaid
Is It True - Glennsallnighter
Is It True - GlennLover
Good Day in Hell - eaglesvet
Good Day in Hell - AzEaglesFan
Good Day in Hell - UK TimFan
Good Day in Hell - luvthelighthouse
Midnight Flyer - Brooke
Midnight Flyer - Ive always been a dreamer
On the Border - sodascouts

Songs eliminated:
Is It True 03/26

Songs remaining:
Already Gone
Midnight Flyer
My Man
On the Border
James Dean
Ol' 55
Good Day in Hell
The Best of My Love

Voting for Round 3 begins after the following immunity question is answered:

According to Bernie, who is the song "My Man" about?

Remember to include both your answer and the song you want immune in order for it to be counted.

luvthelighthouse
03-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Gram Parsons

Immune my man

sodascouts
03-26-2010, 08:07 PM
That's correct!

MY MAN is immune.

Voting for Round 3 starts NOW!

Freypower
03-26-2010, 08:09 PM
ACK! I was sitting here hoping I'd get to answer so I could make GDIH immune. Oh well.

I cast my vote for Midnight Flyer, which is too cheesy for my taste (especially the 'whoo whoo' engine part).

luvthelighthouse
03-26-2010, 08:12 PM
FP, last round PM beat me to it... so I was like a hawk tonight! :laugh: I bearly read the question before I fired out an answer... not even sure if my typing was correct... thus the reason My Man wasn't in caps. :laugh:

It's my only vindication for Is It True being voted off so early.

Prettymaid
03-26-2010, 08:14 PM
FP, last round PM beat me to it... so I was like a hawk tonight! :laugh: I bearly read the question before I fired out an answer... not even sure if my typing was correct... thus the reason My Man wasn't in caps. :laugh:

It's my only vindication for Is It True being voted off so early.

That's the way to play the game LTL! :wink:

EagleLady
03-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Once again, Good Day In Hell

Already two of my favorites are gone :scowl:

03-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Okay - this is a really good game so far. Looks like it's time to call for a coalition though. It seems like the next song to go could be either Good Day In Hell or Midnight Flyer. So if you want to save Good Day In Hell ...

Vote for Midnight Flyer!

Once again I am withholding my vote to see if the coalition sticks.

pueblo47
03-26-2010, 08:40 PM
I vote for Good Day In Hell

Grrrrrr, not my first choice either!!!:censored:

Randy/Bernie, I'm still in there for both of you....:love:

AzEaglesFan
03-27-2010, 01:55 AM
Midnight Flyer.

luvthelighthouse
03-27-2010, 10:17 AM
On the flipside of Dreamer... if you want to form a coalition to save Midnight Flyer vote for Good Day In Hell!

I too am holding my vote to see if this sticks.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
03-27-2010, 10:59 AM
I cast my vote for Midnight Flyer

GlennLover
03-27-2010, 03:53 PM
On the flipside of Dreamer... if you want to form a coalition to save Midnight Flyer vote for Good Day In Hell!

I too am holding my vote to see if this sticks.

No, no, no!!!! I love them both!!! :pray:

Brooke
03-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Once again, PLEASE SAVE GOOD DAY IN HELL!

It rocks! :nod:

I must wait to vote for now though......

sodascouts
03-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Since I don't care whether Midnight Flyer goes before or after GDIH, I cast my vote for "On the Border" again.

Koala
03-28-2010, 05:00 AM
I cast my vote for Good Day In Hell

Glennsallnighter
03-28-2010, 08:01 AM
My son loves Midnight Flyer, so I suppose I'd better try to save it for him. Therefore I'll cast my vote for 'Good Day in Hell'

UK TimFan
03-28-2010, 11:11 AM
I vote to say goodbye to 'Good day in hell'.

Prettymaid
03-28-2010, 11:36 AM
I vote for Midnight Flyer.

I agree with Brooke. Too much banjo/yee-haw vibe for me.

pueblo47
03-28-2010, 11:41 AM

I agree with Brooke. Too much banjo/yee-haw vibe for me.

My poetic, sensitive feelings are getting bruised:ziplip:. Randy/Bernie, I'm trying to save you....to the end....digging in.....

Prettymaid
03-28-2010, 12:33 PM
So P47, I'm assuming that if you had your way neither Midnight Flyer or GDIH would be going. I'm dying to know what you would have voted for instead! :grin:

pueblo47
03-28-2010, 12:55 PM
So P47, I'm assuming that if you had your way neither Midnight Flyer or GDIH would be going. I'm dying to know what you would have voted for instead! :grin:

Actually Midnight Flyer is my fav of the two but it's getting down to where there's only two songs left that I'd be willing to let go and one of them is the one I absolutely LOATHE. Which shall remain secret till I have to use it, then I'll tell.....and duck and run swiftly......

03-28-2010, 01:11 PM
... there's only two songs left that I'd be willing to let go and one of them is the one I absolutely LOATHE.

I know not everyone feels this way, but my mind can't even compute the concept of loathing an Eagles song. :wink: :grin:

This round is a real nail-biter. I am honestly shocked that Good Day In Hell is this unpopular. I think it is a REALLY good song, and want to encourage the tribe to keep this song around for a while longer. Being it is a weekend, there are usually not as many people voting so it's gonna be interesting, that's for sure. I'm going to go ahead and vote now to eliminate the bluegrass ...

pueblo47
03-28-2010, 01:17 PM
I know not everyone feels this way, but my mind can't even compute the concept of loathing an Eagles song. :wink: :grin:

This round is a real nail-biter. I am honestly shocked that Good Day In Hell is this unpopular. I think it is a REALLY good song, and want to encourage the tribe to keep this song around for a while longer. Being it is a weekend, there are usually not as many people voting so it's gonna be interesting, that's for sure. I'm going to go ahead and vote now to eliminate the bluegrass ...

Ok guys, there's another nail in our coffin. Our chances on this round have gone from slim to NONE:censored:.

There's a few songs that I will skip over as a lot of others do and when I make copies of that particular CD, I just eliminate them.
Then my tortured soul is at ease....temporarily:angel:

GlennLover
03-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Only because I want to try to save GDIH...

03-28-2010, 01:48 PM
As it stands right now, Good Day In Hell and Midnight Flyer are tied with 5 votes each. If this round ends in a tie between these two songs, then Good Day In Hell will be eliminated by virtue of having more prior votes. Pueblo - you voted for Good Day In Hell earlier in this round, so I'm a bit confused about why you say your chances are slim to none.

ETA: I was posting at the same time as GL, so with her vote, Midnight Flyer has 6 votes.

pueblo47
03-28-2010, 02:08 PM
As it stands right now, Good Day In Hell and Midnight Flyer are tied with 5 votes each. If this round ends in a tie between these two songs, then Good Day In Hell will be eliminated by virtue of having more prior votes. Pueblo - you voted for Good Day In Hell earlier in this round, so I'm a bit confused about why you say your chances are slim to none.

ETA: I was posting at the same time as GL, so with her vote, Midnight Flyer has 6 votes.

Cuz I wanted to save Midnight Flyer, that's the one I'm whining about, lol, I like it better than GDIH.

03-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the clarification, pueblo. That's what I thought you wanted. I wouldn't throw in the towel yet though, especially since Midnight Flyer has the advantage in the tiebreaker. Looks like this round may go down to the wire with about 5 1/2 hours to go before the voting closes. Sorry to be a thorn in your side, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Good Day In Hell survives. :wink:

pueblo47
03-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the clarification, pueblo. That's what I thought you wanted. I wouldn't throw in the towel yet though, especially since Midnight Flyer has the advantage in the tiebreaker. Looks like this round may go down to the wire with about 5 1/2 hours to go before the voting closes. Sorry to be a thorn in your side, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Good Day In Hell survives. :wink:

My problem is there's only two on this album I don't care for and they haven't come up yet so I didn't want to show my hand early. But it figures that you younger ones don't care much for the early Eagles like I do, believe it or not, even though I'm not much of a country music fan, the songs on this album appeal to my western nature. Country-western, that is. The Eagles put a modern up-to-date mark on them, like Midnight Flyer, that made it easy listening.

Notice how most of us don't use the abbreviation for Flyer<G>?:censored:

Somehow it just doesn't look right:angel:.

Troubadour
03-28-2010, 02:57 PM
I vote for Good Day In Hell.

It's a great rocker, but my heart lies with Midnight Flyer, and as it's down to the wire, I've got to at least try to keep it around a little while longer. I love the country/bluegrass vibe, and I love watching the guys perform it on Kirshner. It just makes me feel upbeat and kind of 'free'.

Prettymaid
03-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Notice how most of us don't use the abbreviation for Flyer<G>?:censored:

Somehow it just doesn't look right:angel:.

I've noticed and I agree - it looks like :censored:. :wink:

sodascouts
03-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Something I like about GDIH is that it's one of the few rockers with dual lead vocal harmony throughout. Most songs that have harmonies throughout like that are country.

That said, I love Midnight Flyer! Troub summed it up very well. Ack, the pain!

sodascouts
03-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Wow, this is indeed a nail-biter. Currently both Midnight Flyer and GDIH are tied at 6 votes, and only 4 hours until voting closes!

pueblo47
03-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Come on, Midnight Flyer! Think of Randy singing his heart out with Bernie next to him. Think how it rocks even though it's bluegrassy. Even Joe rocked to it when he joined the band.

I might have to call in some favors before this is over. Politically speaking, that is. A polite way of blackmailing, arm-twisting, threatening. Yeah, it can be done:thumbsup:.

kym
03-28-2010, 04:12 PM
I vote for Good Day in Hell

luvthelighthouse
03-28-2010, 04:45 PM
For fear I miss the deadline (it's happened before) I will cast my official now.

I vote for Good Day In Hell.

I will agree that is has a great Eagles sound... however, for me, I personally like Midnight Flyer better.

Troubadour
03-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Ooh, this is exciting!

Prettymaid
03-28-2010, 05:08 PM
According to my calculations, the Borderers who have been voting but haven't voted yet in this round are:

Cynd
Brooke
EV
Peekaboo
GlennHoney
TBF

C'mon you guys! Let's make a last ditch effort to save Good Day In Hell!

Vote for Midnight Flyer!

sodascouts
03-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Well, since eaglesvet voted for GDIH last time, you better hope she doesn't show up, lol!

tequila girl
03-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Can i vote now, even thought I missed the 1st 2 rounds?

If so I vote for Good day in hell

I love Midnight Flyer:partytime:

Prettymaid
03-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Can i vote now, even thought I missed the 1st 2 rounds?

If so I vote for Good day in hell

I love Midnight Flyer:partytime:

Absolutely, jump in anytime! But you're voting the wrong way!

Just kidding! :hilarious:

Brooke
03-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Well, it looks like one of my favorite Eagles songs is going down. I just can't understand it. Go watch the 76 Houston boot! It's fantastic. But hurry! Please people.

Save Good Day In Hell!

I cast my vote for Midnight Flyer. But it probably won't help. :cry:

03-28-2010, 07:14 PM
Yep I agree, Brooke - it is a shame that one of the best early songs that Glenn and Don wrote appears to be going down to an Eagles cover song. Midnight Flyer is a good song, but IMHO, the lyrics, melody, and shared vocals in GDIH are GREAT. Too bad we can't track down our missing voters to try and save it. :cry: Even EV said in the first round that Midnight Flyer was her least favorite.

Brooke
03-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Ev, where are you? Yoooooooo hooooooooo! lol

sodascouts
03-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Even EV said in the first round that Midnight Flyer was her least favorite.

Oh, that's true. I'd forgotten she voted for Midnight Flyer the first round, even though she voted for GDIH the second round.

GDIH needs three more people to vote for Midnight Flyer in order to make it...

luvthelighthouse
03-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Intense round!!! Love it though.

pueblo47
03-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Oh, that's true. I'd forgotten she voted for Midnight Flyer the first round, even though she voted for GDIH the second round.

GDIH needs three more people to vote for Midnight Flyer in order to make it...

It sure won't hurt my feelings(or Randy/Bernie)if we manage to win this round. All good things must come to an end and we know this song will likely not survive much longer but I'm still digging in for the long run...

Dang, I must have done it wrong again, no signature, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

There it is! Dumb luck again, lol.

Freypower
03-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Good Day In Hell - one of my all time favourite Eagles songs and my favourite on this album!!! I am wondering what people who are voting for it dislike about it.

pueblo47
03-28-2010, 07:55 PM
They're probably like me, it's one of my favs but I like Randy/Bernie combo on Flyer a little better.

Thanks about the signature:thumbsup:thanks to soda for the help with it.

Prettymaid
03-28-2010, 08:06 PM
I love your sig banner too. Love the eyes!

pueblo47
03-28-2010, 08:09 PM
That sig is from Maleah, she's great with this stuff! The thanks goes to her and soda. So my secret's out<G>, Bernie's my main man:thumbsup:. Like you all didn't already know or suspect.

sodascouts
03-28-2010, 08:10 PM
In a shocking elimination, the third song to be voted off of On the Border Survivor is Good Day in Hell with 9 votes. “Good Day in Hell", you're not glory-bound after all. The tribe has spoken. It's time for you to leave the island. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
Good Day in Hell – 9
Midnight Flyer - 7
On the Border - 1

Vote Breakdown
Good Day in Hell - pueblo47
Good Day in Hell - Koala
Good Day in Hell - Glennsallnighter
Good Day in Hell - UK TimFan
Good Day in Hell - Troubadour
Good Day in Hell - kym
Good Day in Hell - luvthelighthouse
Good Day in Hell - Tequila Girl
Midnight Flyer - Freypower
Midnight Flyer - AzEaglesFan
Midnight Flyer - The Girl of Summer
Midnight Flyer - Prettymaid
Midnight Flyer - GlennLover
Midnight Flyer - Brooke

Songs eliminated:
Is It True 03/26
Good Day in Hell 03/28

Songs remaining:
Already Gone
Midnight Flyer
My Man
On the Border
James Dean
Ol' 55
The Best of My Love

Voting for Round 4 begins after the following immunity question is answered:

Who was billed as a "Late Arrival" on the liner notes of On the Border?

luvthelighthouse
03-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Don Felder

Immune My Man

sodascouts
03-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Right again!

MY MAN is immune.

Voting for Round 4 begins NOW!

luvthelighthouse
03-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Sorry all... but I needed it immune one more time. I just love it. I'll join any coalition that wants to rid James Dean or On the Border this round.

Troubadour
03-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Another compliment from me on the banner! I have a soft spot for Bernie, and it's lovely to see someone with a Bernie sig.

I want to clarify that I really like Good Day In Hell - I just like Midnight Flyer more, and wanted to pledge my allegiance to that song, as the contest was so close. There is absolutely nothing to dislike about GDIH. Glenn really rocks out on it, and sounds fantastic. It's a shame for me that it came down to these two songs, in this round.

ETA: Oh wow, the results were posted while I was writing that. Very happy that Midnight Flyer has lasted a little longer. Sad to see GDIH go, though. I'll have to get thinking about my next vote... This is a toughie!

EagleLady
03-28-2010, 08:18 PM
I vote for On The Border

Freypower
03-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Poor GDIH! I still love you!!! :shock::twisted:

I cast my vote for On The Border. This is not the song I voted for in the previous round but I suspect the coalition thing might work if I vote for it.

03-28-2010, 08:37 PM
And I'll join any coalition that wants to get rid Midnight Flyer this round. While I have to respect the decision of the tribe in that last round, I have to admit that I am shocked. To coin a popular phrase, I'm going to "try a little harder" this time to bring down Midnight Flyer. As I said before, IMO, it's a good song (as are all of the songs on this album). BUT ... while Randy's vocals are great, and Bernie plays a mean banjo, the lyrics are no better than average, and the melody and music are nothing more than the every day, run-of-the-mill bluegrass music - nothing unique. To top it all off, it wasn't even written by any of the Eagles. While I'm withholding my vote for now, I strongly urge everyone to form a coalition and ...

Vote for Midnight Flyer!!!

TimothyBFan
03-28-2010, 08:45 PM
First of all sorry I missed the last round but it doesn't look like my vote would of been enough to save GDIH. What a surprise that round was. The song I would of wanted to vote for last round and this one is immune so I have to go for my next one on the list...

I vote for Midnight Flyer

GlennLover
03-28-2010, 09:49 PM
As I said before, I love both GDIH & Midnight Flyer, but I love GDIH more. It pained me to vote for Midnight Flyer in the last round :-(. I'm not a big Bluegrass fan but I do like a bit of it. It make s me want to get up dance! Love Bernie's banjo playing & the Eagle's harmony, especially the woo, woo, although I know somebody said that was the part of the song that they disliked the most. I think it shows off their harmony singing abilities.

I haven't decided which song to vote off this round, but it won't be Midnight Flyer unless it is to save another song.

Freypower
03-28-2010, 09:53 PM
Me, I think, about the 'whoo whoo', specifically the part where they try to sound like an engine. That is like the chirping birds at the start of Earlybird - cheesy.

pueblo47
03-28-2010, 10:03 PM
I agree about the chirping birds in Early Bird. When it first starts in the dvd, Randy stands there looking at Bernie with this what the **** is that expression. But I like the woo woo sound. Guess I'm kind of cheesy, rotfl, at least for that one sound.

GlennLover
03-28-2010, 10:20 PM
I agree about the chirping birds in Early Bird. When it first starts in the dvd, Randy stands there looking at Bernie with this what the **** is that expression. But I like the woo woo sound. Guess I'm kind of cheesy, rotfl, at least for that one sound.

Guess I'm kind of cheesy too! :)

I liked the birds in Early Bird at first. Thought it was neat that Bernie & Randy could actually sound so much like real birds but, it wears thin after listening to it a number of times.

eaglesvet
03-28-2010, 11:36 PM
Whoa, I guess I lost track of time over the last few days. I had no idea tonight (Sunday) was a tribal council night, and my attendance had been requested to oust one of my two least favorite songs! So sorry! And I did have y'all confused by my split votes the first two rounds, but I would have last round, and will this round, vote for MIDNIGHT FLYER to leave the island.

luvthelighthouse
03-29-2010, 12:00 AM
So far two for Flyer and two for OTB.

OTB is not one of my favorites. Mainly, I listen to it because it's on right after My Man. It kinda gets played by default, or the fact that I'm still trying to figure out if it's Glenn signing the deep parts.

If you want to talk about cheesy... those lyrics seem cheesy to me. "foolin' w/my baby". The only part I like in the whole song is Randy's line, "never mind your name, just give us your number"

I guess musically, it's okay, but doesn't grab me as a must listen too.

Still not voting, but encouraging others to save Flyer and VOTE for On The Border to leave this round!

Brooke
03-29-2010, 09:34 AM
:enraged: :cuss: :weep:

Well, it looks like GDIH might possibly have made it through if you missing links would have played. :weep: I'm with Fp on this song and am devestated it's gone.

I don't know if I can continue to play the game now. :weep:

:lie:

:idea:

Well, maybe I can help get rid of a couple of those other sleepers. :yawn:

:wink: :twisted:

TimothyBFan
03-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Well, it looks like GDIH might possibly have made it through if you missing links would have played.

:wink: :twisted:

Hey--Who you calling a missing link Missy!?!?!? :eyebrow: :hilarious:

I really do feel bad about that and then to top it off, my phone was in my purse and I didn't hear it last night when a half hour before time was up, Nancy texted me to remind me to vote! :brickwall:

Please forgive me! http://bestsmileys.com/signs13/6.gif

Brooke
03-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Oh ok. I forgive you. So now you must listen to GDIH forty times before dinner and do the woo hoo train whistle for one hour when finished. :huh:

You mean to tell me there is something more important in your life than this game? :lol:

TimothyBFan
03-29-2010, 10:17 AM
You mean to tell me there is something more important in your life than this game? :lol:

Not really! :hilarious: Sad but true! JK.

03-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Whoa, I guess I lost track of time over the last few days. I had no idea tonight (Sunday) was a tribal council night, and my attendance had been requested to oust one of my two least favorite songs! So sorry! And I did have y'all confused by my split votes the first two rounds, but I would have last round, and will this round, vote for MIDNIGHT FLYER to leave the island.

I really do feel bad about that and then to top it off, my phone was in my purse and I didn't hear it last night when a half hour before time was up, Nancy texted me to remind me to vote! :brickwall:

Please forgive me! http://bestsmileys.com/signs13/6.gif

Oh ok. I forgive you. So now you must listen to GDIH forty times before dinner and do the woo hoo train whistle for one hour when finished. :huh:

Okay - Brooke, I'm loving your punishment here. And ev cracked me up about missing the tribal council meeting. However, I don't think her attempt at humor should allow her to wiggle out of the punishment. After all, we want to be fair, don't we? :hilarious:

Well, one thing for sure - what's so great about the Survivor games is that they are so laid back and relaxed ... no peer pressure from anyone or anything like that! :wink: :lie:

TimothyBFan
03-29-2010, 11:29 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/music1/21.gif Oh well, it's been a good day in hell. And tomorrow I'll be glory bound. http://bestsmileys.com/music1/19.gif (long haired bass player!)

Troubadour
03-29-2010, 11:31 AM
How cool are they? I am loving that bass player!

Brooke
03-29-2010, 12:00 PM
LOL

Yes, Ev must be included, too!

sodascouts
03-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Hey, don't you tell me 'bout your law and order!

I cast my vote for On the Border!

Brooke
03-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Don't really care what goes next out of MF or OTB so, I vote for Ol' 55 once again. I like it less that either of those.

Even with the choo choo train and the banjo.

How's that for rationalization?! lol

sodascouts
03-29-2010, 04:32 PM
You mean Glenn looking gorgeous in an Ol' 55 shirt has NO affect on you whatsoever??

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/eagleskirshner.jpg

EagleLady
03-29-2010, 04:33 PM
SAVE OL'55 VOTE ON THE BORDER!!!!!!

Troubadour
03-29-2010, 04:38 PM
It feels wrong even typing this, but I cast my vote for On The Border.

I love it, I think it's playful and fun, and I really enjoy the voices on it. But, as I love all of the remaining songs, and would like to see Midnight Flyer stick around a little longer... I'll reluctantly vote for it this round.

Brooke
03-29-2010, 04:42 PM
You mean Glenn looking gorgeous in an Ol' 55 shirt has NO affect on you whatsoever??

Hmmmmm, well, maybe. :thud:

Prettymaid
03-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Don't really care what goes next out of MF or OTB so, I vote for Ol' 55 once again. I like it less that either of those.

Now Brooke, see how you are? Just when you're makin' good sense holding those non-voters accountable, you go and do something silly like this. What are we going to do with you? :wink:

The_Girl_Of_Summer
03-29-2010, 06:52 PM
I cast my vote for Midnight Flyer

03-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Oh good grief - you all are killing me with this game. How many more gray hairs am I going to have to endure before Midnight Flyer gets eliminated ??? :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Besides, I love On the Border for several reasons. First of all, everytime I hear the song, it brings back really fond memories of the Casino Rama shows. We've told this story on the board before, but when Molly, Z, and I were driving back to the U.S. from Canada, just as we pulled up to cross over the border, guess what song started playing on the radio - you got it! Of course, we cranked up the volume and all three of us started singing along! It must have been a sign! What a memory! :thumbsup:

Not to mention, it is a great song. It was very different than anything else the guys had written at that time. It has a catchy funky sound and some great lyrics. As a former co-worker once told me "any band that writes lyrics like cruising down the center of a two-way street wondering who is really in the driver's seat" has "got it going on". Also, the change up in vocals is very cool, even if it does pi$$ me off that we can't figure out who says "you in some trouble, boy". And as far as "foolin' with my baby on the telephone", just ask anyone who has ever been in a long distance relationship what they think about it - that's not cheesy ... that's meaningful! :wink:

It looks like the only way to save this song at this point is to join a coalition to vote for Midnight Flyer, so ...

PLEASE SAVE ON THE BORDER !!!

Troubadour
03-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Oh Dreamer - now I feel even worse! I concur with everything you said. Except the bit about eliminating Midnight Flyer. ;) But On The Border is a great song. I've never had a problem with the telephone line either. In fact, Don can fool around with me on the phone aaaany time he likes!

I love the story about you guys driving back to the US and hearing this song. Thanks for repeating it - I'm not sure I've read it before.

It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out.

UK TimFan
03-29-2010, 07:23 PM
I'm going to be controversial, and vote for my least favourite of the remaining songs.
I vote for James Dean to be eliminated.

(Scuttles for cover, but don't really care what you all think, because I'm going to see Tim later today. :):thud:)

luvthelighthouse
03-29-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm going to be controversial, and vote for my least favourite of the remaining songs.
I vote for James Dean to be eliminated.

(Scuttles for cover, but don't really care what you all think, because I'm going to see Tim later today. :):thud:)

James Dean is my first choice too... but Flyer looks like it needs my help, so I'll probably vote OTB...

I was cracking up over not caring what we think because you are getting to see TBS!!! You're so lucky!

kym
03-29-2010, 08:09 PM
I cast my vote for On The Border. oops, I already voted, didn't I? Geez, I'm losing it.

You said it, I didn't:hilarious:.

I vote for On the Border

eaglesvet
03-30-2010, 12:16 AM
LOL

Yes, Ev must be included, too!
Guilty as charged, and reportin' for punishment as sentenced, Jeff...er, Brooke! :band: :grooving: (Sorry, I cannot create stunning new visuals from thin air like Willie can, unfortunately.) Woo hoo!

Koala
03-30-2010, 01:05 AM
I cast my vote for On The Border.

TimothyBFan
03-30-2010, 07:05 AM
You guys are killing me here!! Why the hate for On The Border? I have to say, that really is surprising me. And you're making me listen to GDIH repeatedly and make train whistle sounds. Hmm! :hmm: No accounting for some peoples taste! :hilarious:

pueblo47
03-30-2010, 07:53 AM
I don't hate OTB, it's one of my favs but something's got to go, there's only one song on this that I truly dislike and I'm saving it for last cuz it's probably the most popular with my luck:heybaby:.

TimothyBFan
03-30-2010, 08:06 AM
I don't hate OTB, it's one of my favs but something's got to go, there's only one song on this that I truly dislike and I'm saving it for last cuz it's probably the most popular with my luck:heybaby:.

Intriguing. :heybaby:

Once again you guys are confusing me with this whole "I like the song, but I'm still voting it off" stuff. I must be simple minded because I don't get it. It makes my head hurt to try to reason that out. :hilarious: JK-I get the whole strategy thing---just don't use it.

Prettymaid
03-30-2010, 08:13 AM
I predict P47'S secret song dislike is BOML. But here on The Border we know that anything is possible!

TimothyBFan
03-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Oh please-say it isn't so!!! My second favorite Eagles song ever. P47--if that's the case---the friend request you sent me and I confirmed, might just have to be undone! ;-):hilarious:

pueblo47
03-30-2010, 08:52 AM
I predict P47'S secret song dislike is BOML. But here on The Border we know that anything is possible!

I predict that your prediction is wrong!:thumbsdown:

Prettymaid
03-30-2010, 09:19 AM
:doh:Dang it! Then I predict it's...

(just kidding!)

Prettymaid
03-30-2010, 01:15 PM
According to my calculations, On The Border is going down in flames with a current vote of 7 to Midnight Flyer's 3. Now I know that Dreamer and myself are willing to vote for Midnight Flyer...that would make it 7-5. What about the rest of you who haven't voted (not counting LTL and GL, who have pretty much pledged their allegiance to Midnight Flyer)? Would you be willing to vote for Midnight Flyer? Even if it's a tie Midnight Flyer would be gone because it's got more previous votes than OTB.

So what do you say Cynd, AZ, PB, GH, and GA? If nothing else vote for Dreamer's inspiring story about hearing On The Border while crossing the border! (That was a great story, Dreamer!)

03-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Well, I'm glad that some of you liked our OTB story. It really was one of those WOW moments where we all just stopped for a second and thought what a perfect way to wind down our excellent Eagles (well Glenn) adventure - a wonderful time shared with two of my cherished Eagles friends. I didn't post it as a reason for anyone to vote for the song, but hey whatever works ... :thumbsup:

Now as far as this game, PM, thanks for making a last-ditch effort to save this song. Unfortunately, I probably won't be around tonight when the voting closes, so I am going to vote now - much earlier than what I would like. It will come to no one's surprise that ...

luvthelighthouse
03-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Almost missed this ... I cast my vote for On The Border!

tequila girl
03-30-2010, 07:08 PM
I vote 'On the Border'

GlennLover
03-30-2010, 07:09 PM
As it's no surprise, I vote On The Border.

I have really grown to like, I'd almost go as far as saying love, On The Border, but it's come to the point in the game that I love the rest of the songs more.

Dreamer. love your OTB story. How fitting!

Prettymaid
03-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Since a vote for Midnight Flyer would do no good,

I cast my vote for James Dean.

sodascouts
03-30-2010, 08:07 PM
The fourth song to be voted off of On the Border Survivor is the title track On the Border with 10 votes. “On the Border", the tribe has spoken. It's time for you to leave the island. Better step to the boat, or we can make it hard. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
On the Border - 10
Midnight Flyer - 4
James Dean - 2
Ol' 55 - 1

Vote Breakdown
On the Border - EagleLady
On the Border - Freypower
On the Border - pueblo47
On the Border - Troubadour
On the Border - kym
On the Border - Koala
On the Border - luvthelighthouse
On the Border - Tequila Girl
On the Border - GlennLover
Midnight Flyer - TimothyBFan
James Dean - UK TimFan
James Dean - Prettymaid
Ol' 55 - Brooke

Songs eliminated:
Is It True 03/26
Good Day in Hell 03/28
On the Border 03/30

Songs remaining:
Already Gone
Midnight Flyer
My Man
James Dean
Ol' 55
The Best of My Love

Voting for Round 5 begins after the following immunity question is answered:

According to the liner notes of On the Border, which songs have more than one lead vocalist? Note: You have to spell them out - no acronyms!

Freypower
03-30-2010, 08:09 PM
To answer the immunity question:

Ol '55 - Glenn Frey & Don Henley
Good Day In Hell - Glenn Frey & Don Henley

Ol '55 immune please.

sodascouts
03-30-2010, 08:10 PM
That's right, FP!

OL' 55 is immune.

Voting for Round 5 starts NOW!

EagleLady
03-30-2010, 08:12 PM
I vote for James Dean

Freypower
03-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Well, I don't have to wait.

Midnight Flyer, you paid your dues & it's time you travelled on. :heybaby:

The_Girl_Of_Summer
03-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Once Again I cast My Vote for Midnight Flyer

luvthelighthouse
03-30-2010, 10:04 PM
This round I will cast my vote early. There is no doubt which song I want to leave next. It may not happen, but I have to vote from my heart... so I cast my vote for James Dean.

AzEaglesFan
03-31-2010, 12:05 AM
I vote for James Dean

Peekaboo
03-31-2010, 02:31 AM
I'm all caught up in this thread and I now wonder if my votes for Midnight Flyer would have made a difference because that's the song I would've voted for. When we do these Survivor games I make my list and I like to stick to them. My vote for round 3 would've been for Midnight Flyer and I'm kinda surprised to see that it's still in the running. I'm sad to see that GDIH and OTB have been eliminated. Well, since it's STILL the next song on my list I will cast my vote for Midnight Flyer.

tequila girl
03-31-2010, 05:57 AM
I vote James Dean

Prettymaid
03-31-2010, 07:06 AM
I'm all caught up in this thread and I now wonder if my votes for Midnight Flyer would have made a difference because that's the song I would've voted for. When we do these Survivor games I make my list and I like to stick to them. My vote for round 3 would've been for Midnight Flyer and I'm kinda surprised to see that it's still in the running. I'm sad to see that GDIH and OTB have been eliminated. Well, since it's STILL the next song on my list I will cast my vote for Midnight Flyer.

I hear ya Peek!

I vote for Midnight Flyer to get off of this :censored: island!!! :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
03-31-2010, 07:34 AM
Once again--I vote for Midnight Flyer.

And can I just say how disappointed I am that OTB is gone!:worried:

Brooke
03-31-2010, 09:26 AM
I for one can't believe that MF has outlasted OTB! :headshake:

Koala
03-31-2010, 09:57 AM

GlennLover
03-31-2010, 03:43 PM
Can't bring myself to vote for James Dean or Midnight Flyer & it looks like one or the other will go so I'll vote strategically.

I cast my vote for MY MAN.

03-31-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm almost afraid to mention this for fear of jinxing it, but dare I get a glimmer of hope that Midnight Flyer will go this time. Oh crap - there are still a lot of outstanding votes yet, so please everyone just forget I said anything! :wink:

kym
03-31-2010, 04:51 PM
I vote for James Dean

UK TimFan
03-31-2010, 06:07 PM
Another vote for James Dean to be eliminated.

Shadowland07
03-31-2010, 11:14 PM
my vote goes to My Man

eaglesvet
04-01-2010, 02:29 AM
Wow, it's a good thing I snuck back in to check how things were looking on the island. I did vote this am, but it looks like I must not have hit "submit"...and then I would have earned that "slacker" title again! Who knows what punishment I would have earned this time around! :fear:

I will vote for Midnight Flyer to leave the island!

Troubadour
04-01-2010, 09:35 AM
I vote for My Man.

luvthelighthouse
04-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Who's left to still vote? I haven't paid attention... but I do know that currently Flyer as 7 votes and JD has 6... 3 for My Man (which I'm not happy about!)

Troubadour
04-01-2010, 10:31 AM
I always underestimate how difficult these Survivor games will be! I guess it shows the strength of Eagles albums that we have such tough choices to make throughout.

sodascouts
04-01-2010, 10:53 AM
I haven't voted yet - still undecided!

Brooke
04-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Darn! I'm going to be out for a while this evening, so I can't wait any longer to vote.

Since MF is running so close to JD, I will have to go ahead and help with the shove.

Glennsallnighter
04-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Ok I listened to the CD earlier this evening and concentrated on the main contenders for elimination in this round with particular attention. I like all of them, but have decided to vote this round for 'My Man'

04-01-2010, 07:55 PM
I could probably vote strategically and the song that I want to go still would be eliminated. But I want this song to go so bad that it's gonna make me feel good to type it out. The tribe has kept this song around so long that I had began to develop an intense dislike for it. Hopefully, that won't last because I don't really hate any Eagles song. But without further delay ...

sodascouts
04-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Yikes Dreamer! Well, I made up my mind, too.

sodascouts
04-01-2010, 08:01 PM
The Teflon song finally goes down! The fifth song to be voted off of On the Border Survivor is Midnight Flyer with 9 votes. “Midnight Flyer", the tribe has spoken, and they want you to travel on. It's time for you to leave the island. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
Midnight Flyer - 9
James Dean - 8
My Man - 4

Vote Breakdown
Midnight Flyer - Freypower
Midnight Flyer - Peekaboo
Midnight Flyer - Prettymaid
Midnight Flyer - TimothyBFan
Midnight Flyer - Koala
Midnight Flyer - Brooke
James Dean - EagleLady
James Dean - luvthelighthouse
James Dean - AzEaglesFan
James Dean - Tequila Girl
James Dean - kym
James Dean - UK TimFan
James Dean - pueblo47
James Dean - sodascouts
My Man - Glenn Lover
My Man - Shadowland07
My Man - Troubadour
My Man - Glennsallnighter

Songs eliminated:
Is It True 03/26
Good Day in Hell 03/28
On the Border 03/30
Midnight Flyer 4/01

Songs remaining:
Already Gone
My Man
James Dean
Ol' 55
The Best of My Love

Voting for Round 6 begins after the following immunity question is answered:

Name the song(s) from On the Border which were not written or co-written by a member of the Eagles. Remember to spell out song titles - no acronyms!

Glennsallnighter
04-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Already Gone
Midnight Flyer
Ol'55

Ol'55 to be immune please

sodascouts
04-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Spot on, GA! ;)

Ol' 55 is immune.

Voting for Round 6 begins NOW!

UK TimFan
04-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Already Gone
Midnight Flyer
Ol'55

Ol'55 to be immune please
You type just a little bit faster than me, but as I agree with your choice of 'immune' I forgive you. :smile:

Might as well cast my vote too -

James Dean to be eliminated.

EagleLady
04-01-2010, 08:10 PM
How the heck does James Dean stay over MF? Oh well.

I vote for James Dean again

Glennhoney
04-01-2010, 08:12 PM
..well I guess it has to be "James Dean"......

04-01-2010, 08:24 PM
The Teflon song finally goes down! The fifth song to be voted off of On the Border Survivor is Midnight Flyer with 9 votes.

Please excuse my little private celebration ...

:yay: :yay: :yay:

Freypower
04-01-2010, 08:31 PM
James Dean is a far superior song to Midnight Flyer. It is a bit cheesy in places and it isn't the best track on the album, but it is great fun and Glenn really rocks it. However, it seems that not that many people share my opinion (as they didn't share my opinion of Good Day In Hell).

I vote for My Man.

Troubadour
04-01-2010, 08:35 PM
I'll vote again for My Man.

TimothyBFan
04-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Well that was a close one!

Now I can move on to my next song...

I vote for My Man.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
04-01-2010, 10:07 PM
I Cast My Vote For James Dean

luvthelighthouse
04-01-2010, 10:48 PM
I knew this was coming down to JD and MM and I don't like it! (where's the foot tapping icon?) I wonder what would have happened if 'ol 55 were in the mix.

This game has been pretty close and that must not please those that vote stagetically. I'm loving it though, bringing it down to the last minute! Makes it exciting! I'm sorry to see Flyer go, but I understand. It isn't exactly done in the usual Eagle style.

I'm not voting yet, but I'm encouraging everyone else to vote for James Dean.

My Man is great song. One of the few greats written by someone other than Don or Glenn. I feel James Dean is a little too campy and silly. I'd had to see it beat out MM, a song with some emotional depth.

eaglesvet
04-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Although of the remaining songs, I think the choice for next to leave is a tight call, I have to give the slightest shove off the boat to My Man.

Koala
04-02-2010, 02:14 AM
I cast my vote for My Man.

tequila girl
04-02-2010, 04:05 AM
How the heck does James Dean stay over MF? Oh well.

I vote for James Dean again

My thoughts exactly!!

I vote for James Dean again too

Prettymaid
04-02-2010, 07:26 AM
The Teflon song finally goes down!

I appreciate the subtle reference to American Idol. :thumbsup:

James Dean is a far superior song to Midnight Flyer. It is a bit cheesy in places and it isn't the best track on the album, but it is great fun and Glenn really rocks it. However, it seems that not that many people share my opinion (as they didn't share my opinion of Good Day In Hell).

FP, I share your opinion on both.

Brooke
04-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Please excuse my little private celebration ...

:yay: :yay: :yay:

Geez, let me join you here, dreamer! :yay: :yay: :yay: I really don't get how this song could stay around so long! It drives me crazy. I have to skip it!

Now since Ol'55 is immune. Again. :-x

I vote for My Man. It's got some nice lyrics, (I really like the line "like a flower, he bloomed 'til that old hickory wind called him home") but it's kind of monotone and therefore a bit boring.

No offense to those who like it.

luvthelighthouse
04-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Oh, you My Man voters are killing me! :cry: I'm gonna have to put you on some karma list or something! :lol:

Freaking bad refrigerator is gonna beat out old hickory wind... sad!

EagleLady
04-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Brooke! :steviesmack: :hilarious:

James Dean is so lame I always skip it

Brooke
04-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Oh, you My Man voters are killing me! :cry: I'm gonna have to put you on some karma list or something! :lol:

Freaking bad refrigerator is gonna beat out old hickory wind... sad!

Sniff.. I said I liked that part. sniff

:lol:

luvthelighthouse
04-02-2010, 11:07 AM
I need no more time to think aobut it. My official vote is for James Dean to go to a sock hop, drink some soda pop and get off the island!

04-02-2010, 11:20 AM
OMG - Seems like most every round in this game is a nailbiter - exciting but nerve-wrecking. I love both My Man and James Dean. I think they are both really good songs with great lyrics, and I prefer both of them over Ol' 55, which is unfortunately immune. As I said before, in James Dean, the lyrics are so 50's, as was the icon that they are describing. I think it's very effective and showcases some pretty slick songwriting skills. My Man has a lovely melody, but I like James Dean a bit better mainly because of my general preference for rockers over ballads. However, I also think James Dean is a bit more Eagley. As is the norm for me, I'm gonna wait until later to vote.

luvthelighthouse
04-02-2010, 11:42 AM
I think it's very effective and showcases some pretty slick songwriting skills.

Bad Refrigerator :headscratch:

However, I also think James Dean is a bit more Eagley.

I don't think so at all!!! I think My Man has more of an early Eagles feel. :)

sodascouts
04-02-2010, 11:44 AM
On the contrary, I'm very glad Ol' 55 is safe (see avatar) and I hope it makes it to the Top Three. It's magnificently sung and always makes me feel warm inside.

James Dean rocks, and it's lots of fun. It really is a blast when they play it live. The goofy lyrics are part of its retro charm. I especially love the "too fast to live, too young to die" part which displays some pretty complicated harmonies that the Eagles make sound effortless because it blends so well - but listen for the layers behind it.

On the other hand, My Man has a greater emotional depth due to Bernie's personal relationship with Gram Parsons, and I find it much more moving than James Dean. Its harmonies are also more complex than your usual Eagles song. Try to sing along with a harmony part on the chorus and you'll see what I mean.

It's interesting because these songs actually share a lot in common - they're both tributes to someone who died too young, and they both have sophisticated harmonies that sound deceptively simple. They just take opposite approaches - one celebrates the coolness of the guy whose life was cut short as a consequence of the wild life he lived - "too fast to live, too young to die." The other focuses more on what happens after that death - the tragedy of the loss of someone so talented, the hope that he's finally "far beyond the pain" and the grief of "we who must remain."

A fascinating show down, if you ask me.

luvthelighthouse
04-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Soda, I too have thought about the parallel the two songs share. Death too early, written about specific people, etc. It is pretty interesting these two are up against each other.

04-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Bad Refrigerator :headscratch:

Sorry ltl, but to me, that is a very clever 50's metaphor for describing a cool dude, and I love it. If the song were written about an '80's icon (i.e. Madonna), then I'd have to agree with you.

I don't think so at all!!! I think My Man has more of an early Eagles feel. :)

I guess we gotta agree to disagree on this one, too. I can see what you're saying and I'd agree My Man definitely has more of the early Eagles' sound. But, IMO, James Dean is more Eagley when I think of the overall sound and harmonies that the Eagles became so well known for.

ETA: I posted this before I had read Soda's post, and ITA with her assessment of the two song with regard to dealing with the deaths of these two icons. The bottom line is that they are both excellent songs to me, and it is, obviously, very subjective about which one has the most appeal to each of us.

luvthelighthouse
04-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Dreamer, if we ever meet, we'll have to have one of these! lol:saberfight:

04-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Aw ltl - if we ever get the chance to meet, we'd love each other! :nod:

But, we probably shouldn't put the On the Border album in the CD player though! I don't think we agree on any of the songs on this album. :lol:

You know it's funny and Soda and I were just talking about this. When we first were thinking about doing this Survivor game again, we were conflicted because we didn't want it to seem repetitious and boring. But ultimately, we thought since it had been over 3 years, we would mix it up a bit with the immunity questions, and there would be a lot of new people playing so it wouldn't matter. Geez - 'ya think! This game has been anything but a repeat of the first. I won't say much more than that in case some of you decided not to look at the thread for the first game. In any event, there does seem to be a very noticable divide in the players preferences in this game unlike any I think I've seen in any of the other games before. Should make it interesting to see what happens when we play other games. Personally, I love the debates, and how respectful we all are of differing opinions. I find them interesting and informative, and they make me really think hard about why I vote the way I do. Boring? - I don't think so!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peekaboo
04-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Hmmm....James Dean or My Man? James Dean or My Man?

I'm leaning more towards James Dean. My Man has got some good lyrics that I like and appreciate but I like the rockin out vibe of JD much more. I don't look at JD as too 50's. That thought never really crossed my mind. I see it as a cool Eagles song that totally rocks. JD is one of the songs that I like to crank up the volume and sing out loud when that song comes on.

My vote is for My Man.

eaglesvet
04-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Aw ltl - if we ever get the chance to meet, we'd love each other! :nod:

But, we probably shouldn't put the On the Border album in the CD player though! I don't think we agree on any of the songs on this album. :lol:

You know it's funny and Soda and I were just talking about this. When we first were thinking about doing this Survivor game again, we were conflicted because we didn't want it to seem repetitious and boring. But ultimately, we thought since it had been over 3 years, we would mix it up a bit with the immunity questions, and there would be a lot of new people playing so it wouldn't matter. Geez - 'ya think! This game has been anything but a repeat of the first. I won't say much more than that in case some of you decided not to look at the thread for the first game. In any event, there does seem to be a very noticable divide in the players preferences in this game unlike any I think I've seen in any of the other games before. Should make it interesting to see what happens when we play other games. Personally, I love the debates, and how respectful we all are of differing opinions. I find them interesting and informative, and they make me really think hard about why I vote the way I do. Boring? - I don't think so!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I hadn't looked at the old game, but I can't wait to do so once this game ends!

Prettymaid
04-02-2010, 08:28 PM
I hadn't looked at the old game, but I can't wait to do so once this game ends!

Me neither and me too!

Shadowland07
04-02-2010, 10:57 PM
my vote goes to..... Best of My Love

sodascouts
04-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Just based on pure emotion....

TimothyBFan
04-03-2010, 09:23 AM
my vote goes to..... Best of My Love

Shadowland-I know you're new to the board and I really like you, so don't take this personally ....:fight: :hilarious:

eaglesvet
04-03-2010, 10:38 AM
On the contrary, I'm very glad Ol' 55 is safe (see avatar) and I hope it makes it to the Top Three. It's magnificently sung and always makes me feel warm inside.

James Dean rocks, and it's lots of fun. It really is a blast when they play it live. The goofy lyrics are part of its retro charm. I especially love the "too fast to live, too young to die" part which displays some pretty complicated harmonies that the Eagles make sound effortless because it blends so well - but listen for the layers behind it.

On the other hand, My Man has a greater emotional depth due to Bernie's personal relationship with Gram Parsons, and I find it much more moving than James Dean. Its harmonies are also more complex than your usual Eagles song. Try to sing along with a harmony part on the chorus and you'll see what I mean.

It's interesting because these songs actually share a lot in common - they're both tributes to someone who died too young, and they both have sophisticated harmonies that sound deceptively simple. They just take opposite approaches - one celebrates the coolness of the guy whose life was cut short as a consequence of the wild life he lived - "too fast to live, too young to die." The other focuses more on what happens after that death - the tragedy of the loss of someone so talented, the hope that he's finally "far beyond the pain" and the grief of "we who must remain."

A fascinating show down, if you ask me.
I meant to say that I agree with you 100%.

Glennsallnighter
04-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Yeah, its a toss up betweem James Dean and My Man in this round not counting those who may be voting strategically :wink:

Both very good songs IMHO. However as Glenn :heart: rocks out JD and I love hearing him sing it, I'll cast my vote for 'My Man'

EagleLady
04-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Ugh. If James Dean stays I'll :steviesmack: All of you :hilarious:

sodascouts
04-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Right now it appears My Man is going out unless we can muster up a few more votes for James Dean!

Save MY MAN! Vote JAMES DEAN!

04-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Sorry Soda - as I said before, I like both songs, but, for me, the most awesome of the two is the rockin' James Dean! Love it on the album and it was just too cool for school when the band used to perform it live back in the day with their sunglasses on! Therefore, I urge any remaining voters to keep it around a bit longer.

EagleLady
04-03-2010, 01:01 PM
:weep: Why is everyone ganging up on my favorites? James Dean Is AWFUL

04-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Sorry EL - but I guess the majority of the voters in the game don't agree James Dean is awful. Don't take it personally - nobody's trying to gang up on you. IMO, none of the remaining songs are awful, but we have to make tough choices at this point in the game - them's the rules! :wink:

pueblo47
04-03-2010, 07:34 PM
:weep: Why is everyone ganging up on my favorites? James Dean Is AWFUL

JD is cornball but fun and a rocker. However, it's not the one I'm really after to kick off the island, right now I'm going with the flow till the showdown:evil:.

Remember this, Bernie, no matter what happens, I'm still loyal to you....most of the time:iloveyou:

04-03-2010, 08:05 PM
In another very close round, the next song to be voted off the island in the On the Border Survivor is My Man. “My Man” we know you’re not beyond the pain – we can hear it in your voice and see it in your eyes. But the tribe has spoken and you must leave the island immediately. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
My Man – 10
James Dean - 8
The Best of My Love – 1

Vote Breakdown
My Man – Freypower
My Man – Troubadour
My Man – TimothyBFan
My Man – eaglesvet
My Man – Koala
My Man – Pretty Maid
My Man – Brooke
My Man – Peekaboo
My Man – Glennsallnighter
My Man – Ive always been a dreamer
James Dean – UK TimFan
James Dean – EagleLady
James Dean – Glennhoney
James Dean – pueblo47
James Dean – The_Girl_Of_Summer
James Dean – tequila girl
ames Dean – luvthelighthouse
James Dean – sodascouts
The Best of My Love – Shadowland07

Songs eliminated:
You Never Cry Like a Lover 3/24
Is It True 3/26
Good Day in Hell 3/28
On the Border 3/30
Midnight Flyer 4/1
My Man 4/3

Songs remaining:
Already Gone
James Dean
Ol' 55
The Best of My Love

Voting for Round 7 will begin after the following immunity question is answered:

Which songs on this album were produced by Glyn Johns?
Remember to give the whole name of the songs – no acronyms.

NOTE: You MUST include the song you want to be immune along with your answer for it to be counted.

luvthelighthouse
04-03-2010, 08:09 PM
You never cry like a lover and the best of my love

If correct, Immune: Best of My Love

04-03-2010, 08:11 PM
You are correct, ltl.

The Best of My Love is immune.

Voting for Round Seven begins NOW!

EagleLady
04-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Most of my favorites are gone :sigh:

I will vote once again for that craptastic James Dean. It's getting to the point where I hate it