PDA

View Full Version : If You Met One of the Eagles What Would You Ask/Say/Do?

Wildthyme
05-03-2010, 02:25 PM
PM suggested this topic in another thread and I thought it was a great idea.

After the Joe sighting in San Jose, Rhonda and I talked about what we should have said or done all the way home to Oregon. And I am still struggling with what to say to Joe at the M&G on the 17th (since I have already had my slack-jawed idiot moment I am hoping that I can come up with something great to make up for it).

So what would you say or do if you ran into one of the boys or had a chance to meet them?

EagleLady
05-03-2010, 02:32 PM
I'd probably turn into a puddle of goo.

sodascouts
05-03-2010, 03:09 PM
I would be afraid to approach them if they walked by - I'd be worried that they'd consider me an annoyance - and just watch them pass. Not exactly courageous. lol

Now if it was a situation like a meet'n'greet... well, I've had good experiences and bad experiences with those.... Here's my opinion: the thing to do is to pick a specific song and a moment in your life where it really influenced you and thank them for that, sharing a quick summary of the particulars. The more specific, the better (keeping in mind time constraints and resisting the point of TMI), because it shows you're not just another fan going "I love your music!" That's the kind of thing the want to hear, IMHO - that what they do is important to people on a personal level.

MikeA
05-03-2010, 03:32 PM
"Don't I know you?" "You look familiar." "Did we have the same geometry teacher in ninth grade?" "I remember now, I stumbled and fell on some guitar you had and that long skinny thing coming out of the fat hollow thing sort of broke."

I really think these guys are just people...very talented people. I doubt they'd mind if you acknowledged them, maybe introduced yourselves. Doubt seriously they'd get very friendly if you were to try to smother them.

I know this for a fact as far as Joe is concerned. This guy (omitting names) saw Joe coming out of the SPA at MGM a couple of nights before the Eagles were performing there. He just introduced himself, said he was in town for the show and had appreciated Joe's music forever and was terribly grateful to Joe for his example in getting and staying sobor (this friend was an adict too). Joe shook his hand made small talk for a minute or two and went on about his business. That meant a lot to my friend.

bernie's bender
05-03-2010, 03:33 PM
"Would you like fries with that, umm, Mr. Frey?"

"Mr. Henley, umm, you are standing on my foot"

"Mr. Schmit, if you'll hold on a moment, I can change the tire on your VW bus."

"Yes, Mr. Felder, Yes, Yes, I agree, Yes, those guys, yes, yep. you bet."

"What Mr. Azoff? Oh, you are standing up?"

"Thanks Mr. Walsh, but no, I did not get a free bowl of soup with this particular shirt."

GettheLeadonOut!!
05-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Glenn- "where you been lately?"

Bernie - "Tell me the truth. How does it feel?

Henley - "Whatever happened to Saturday night?"

Randy - "Is it True?"

Tim - "Aren't we the same two people who lived through years in the dark?"

Felder - "What you gonna do in those shoes?"

Joe - "What you trying to hand me?"

Prettymaid
05-03-2010, 05:08 PM
I've thought about this since the Joe sighting at the hotel in San Jose, because you always wonder what you would have done if you were there.

If Joe was not going to walk within speaking distance of me, I would not say anything. In other words I would not approach - I know I wouldn't. That's just me thinking I'd be annoying him. However, if Joe walked within speaking distance of me (in other words I didn't have to shout) and I was with other people (I could never do it if I was alone) I would like to think that I would be able to say, "Hi Joe!" and if I had been at a show could say something generic like, "Great show last night!". Now if by chance that made him stop and talk to us, mission accomplished. If he just smiled and kept walking that would be okay too.

Of course, this is all just speculation. As the Borderers that this happened to know only too well, you never know exactly how you're going to react.

About 15 years ago I went to see the comedian Gallagher. I was fairly familiar with his material through watching television specials. After the show he signed autographs. As I stood in line I tried to think of something to say to him. When I got to the front of the line and handed him my ticket to sign, I said, "I always loved the butt-flavored cat food idea." He looked wistfully into space and said something like, Yeah, that was a good one."
It was a joke he hadn't used for years but had always been one of my favorites. I thought it was something quick to say but that also let him know that I was not just a casual fan. For those of you not familiar with the joke, it goes like this:
(About cats being picky eaters) "This is no gourmet; look where he licks. What gourmet licks his own butt? That's what makes you mad! They won't eat the food you've got for 'em, but then he goes over there and licks his butt. They ought to make butt-flavored cat food."

The only reason I mention it is because that's what I would want it to be like if I ever met one of the Eagles. Short, to the point, but something you know no one else would say to them.

tequila girl
05-04-2010, 06:07 AM
OMG It's just dawned on me! I keep on about how I love Dons "new" hair style and i've just realised it's almost identical to my own!
Mine is a tiny bit longer and a bit more "blow dried" looking....but same grey!:eek:

So, i'd have to say:

Hey Don, We have the same hairdresser....

TimothyBFan
05-04-2010, 08:11 AM
"What Mr. Azoff? Oh, you are standing up?"

:rofl: I'm crying thinking about this for some reason!

Tim - "Aren't we the same two people who lived through years in the dark?"

:hilarious: You guys just crack me up!!!

Seriously---Haven't got a clue!! I'm not real good with meeting new people and these guys are larger than life to me so I doubt I'd be able to stand up and would probably loose control of my bodily functions. But then again, I might surprise myself--the whole Timothy in Chicago thing, at least I spoke to him (so at least I know I can) and he spoke back so apparently I really did form coherent words. :hmm: :shrug:

ticky
05-04-2010, 11:44 AM
OKAY, well I think we've already determined exactly what *I'D" say when face to face with my favorite Eagle and, from what I've read, Im not necessarily alone. I have decided this is a condition known as Spongebob Syndrom All so known as "Hi Kevin" (See video).
Fortunately, I believe, much like the Chicken Pox and the Jonas brothers, once you've been exposed to it, you become immune. SO, next time I meet Joe, I'll say "Hi Joe!" (sans drooling, heavy breathing and passing out.) Beyond that, Im still working on it.

Prettymaid
05-04-2010, 12:19 PM
And I think it's a lot different if you know you're going to meet them (e.g. a meet 'n greet) than if you're blindsided like you guys were in San Jose. I mean, at a m&g you're going there with the specific purpose of meeting them. You have time to think of what you want to ask/say/do.

luvthelighthouse
05-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Too many variables to consider. If I saw them walking down the street, in a hotel, at a restaurant... I'd probably say nothing. However, if we were in the same aisle at a bookstore or shared an elevator, I'd probably say something. Example, if I meant TBS in an elevator I'd probably say something along the lines of, "didn't you meet the Blind Boys of Alabama in a elevator? Who knew elevators were such hot meeting spots"... or something like that.

I guess it would really depend on so much. Did just see a show, was I going to one, was it a chance meeting... oh how I've thought about them all. I do know this though... if I saw one of them walking down the street, you better believe I'd turn and follow them!

Prettymaid
05-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Example, if I meant TBS in an elevator I'd probably say something along the lines of, "didn't you meet the Blind Boys of Alabama in a elevator? Who knew elevators were such hot meeting spots"... or something like that.

Hey, that's a good one! :thumbsup:

MikeA
05-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Maybe...Probably Cathy. But I know that of the maybe twenty people in the group at the M&G I attended, there were only maybe 5 who said much more than "your name goes here" when Joe introduced himself to them and asked their name and where they were from.

There were very few who asked him anything "unique" during the question/answer time he gave us.

The questions that seemed so over asked were,

1. It must be physically draining night after night performing. How do you cope with that. To which Joe replies with a prepared answer of "Work out a lot. Try to eat right. Take better care of myself."

2. Someone always asks about his HAM radio hobby. He'll talk about that but again, it is something he get's asked a lot about.

3. What's your favorite Guitar/Song/Artist/Performer/American Idol Contestant.....All of these except the last, Joe gets pretty vague about. He's not going to specify a favorite guitar because he's endorsed so many. Sort of the same with Artists....he doesn't want to offend anyone. But he doe seem to get enthusiastic about Dwayne Allman and the slide he learned so much about from him. As for AI....he pretty much hates anything to do with television <LOL>

4. Killer question...I mean this one pretty much ends the Q/A session. When asked anything that brings that up or that is a good segway into it...is about his Addiction Recovery. He's very serious about it, but it will often lead to the "I was really only drunk one time....for 30 years!" At least it sure put an end to the M&G when we had ours in Chicago many years ago.

But if you can come up with some sincere question that maybe is something he doesn't answer every time he gets together with a group of Fans, he will really get into it. I asked him about a house in Wichita that I knew his Grandmother had left to him in her Will. Turned out that he'd donated the house to Needy Young Women....those with pregnancy issues, abuse issues, about anything like that to aid them. He wasn't sure how far along the refurbishing of the house had come. He talked about that quite a bit. He said that he didn't come back to Wichita often but that he still had relatives living here and needed to come back more often.

I guess I just got lucky and had something that was "new".

TimothyBFan
05-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Oh-let's just cut to the chase!! Who are we all trying to fool?

I would probably rush up to them (of course very gracefully, probably by falling into them and sending whatever they have in their hands flying), say something intelligent like, "my names is, ummmm. I'm your figgest ban! Can I have your autograph?" and then proceed to pour my diet Coke all over their shoes (because I go nowhere without it) as I rummaged in my purse to find something for them to write on, while I accidently dump my purse out, sending the feminine hygiene products rolling across the floor. Which would all be followed by security being called, me being hauled off and Larry calling someone from the Border to bail my *ss out of jail because he figures it's all your faults it's come to this anyways.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!:eyebrow:

MikeA
05-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Oh-let's just cut to the chase!! Who are we all trying to fool

LOLROTF

Brooke
05-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Willie, :rofl:

It's definitely different if it's planned than a chance meeting like the girls had.

When I met Don Henley at a meet & greet several years ago (:-( ) I had planned what I would say, but the closer I got to him the more nervous I got. I actually thought I might break down in tears! I had taken the first Eagles album and a couple of his solo cd's with me for him to sign. I told him my favorite song was Heart Of The Matter and thanked him for all of his music and how much it meant to me and asked him if he was still the same guy now as the one on the back of that album cover. He grinned at me and said he didn't have as much hair and we both laughed. But that got me off track and he asked me my name. Of course, I had to spell it and he said that he used to have a neighbor that had that very same name. Gullible me said "Really? That's unbelievable!" (because I do have a strange name.) And he said, "No, really!" Well, the rest of my time was spent on this unbelievable story and I had wanted to really get in to his mind, but he turned the table on me. :rolleyes: I think they do these things on purpose to get out of the conversation.

If I met one of them in the hall like the girls, I would want to talk to them so bad, but would probably be too shy to. Then I would beat myself up for not at least saying Hi, and I love your music, and ask for an autograph. I would hate to bother them, but I would try to be quiet about it so as not to cause a stampede or anything and would make it short and sweet. :)

Wildthyme
05-04-2010, 04:37 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl: @ Willie!!!

Prettymaid
05-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Now Willie, I heard you speak to Timothy in Chicago and you handled yourself with grace and dignity. Of course, he didn't do what you asked so maybe you should have proceeded to step two, fell into him, spill a drink on him, and spill the contents of your purse while looking for a pen! Who knows? Maybe that would have gotten you somewhere.

But don't give Larry my number! :wink:

TimothyBFan
05-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Now Willie, I heard you speak to Timothy in Chicago and you handled yourself with grace and dignity. Of course, he didn't do what you asked so maybe you should have proceeded to step two, fell into him, spill a drink on him, and spill the contents of your purse while looking for a pen! Who knows? Maybe that would have gotten you somewhere.

But don't give Larry my number! :wink:

Hey, he told me he'd be back in a minute and I believe he would have! I believe security got him out the door after taking one look at me so wide eyed and shaking because I had actually talked to him and warned him "don't go back in there!". :hilarious: Otherwise, he would of done what I asked, I know he would of, definitely would have....right?

Prettymaid
05-05-2010, 08:20 AM
Of course he would have. :nod:

Troubadour
05-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Willie, you are too cute! I was reading your post from the backseat and Jess and Annie had to turn around to ask me what I was laughing at!

I really think it depends on the situation. When I met Tim, I was not freaked out at all while he was in front of me - I just thought it was really cool. I'm not going to kid anyone though. If it was Don, I'm sure I would be a trembling, blotchy mess. I actually think KNOWING I was going to meet him would make it worse. That's not time to prepare, for me - that's time to get nervous! I just hope I'd come across as relatively pleasant and intelligent though. And not have one of those 'I want to crawl into a hole and die' moments.

The Joe thing was weird. I wanted to say something, but it just happened so fast. I think we were all a little shell shocked. He was smiling and walking quite casually, so I'm sure he would at least have said 'hi' back, but I think the fact that Marjorie, Irving and a few security guys were with him made it harder to say something. I'm also very sensitive about annoying people or intruding on their privacy - I would NEVER go over to someone in a restaurant or anything like that.

On the flipside, I was actually hoping that we would see one of the guys in the hotel after the show. (Slim chance, but after Joe walking past us earlier in the day and all the band and security guys around, it could have happened!) I genuinely believe if I'd seen one of them after the show, I would have said something - told them how fantastic the show was, a little about the journey I'd had, and how they made my night with those picks. Who knows. I could've turned into a big ball of mush and just gawped. But I think the contact during the show made me more confident and at least I would have had the show to talk about and thank them for.

Wildthyme
05-06-2010, 12:36 AM
I actually think KNOWING I was going to meet him would make it worse. That's not time to prepare, for me - that's time to get nervous! I just hope I'd come across as relatively pleasant and intelligent though. And not have one of those 'I want to crawl into a hole and die' moments.

Kind of what is happening with me and the M&G. I think I am just getting more and more nervous trying to think of the "right" thing to say to Joe... :fear:

Prettymaid
05-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Just be yourself Cami. I'm sure he's good at making nervous people feel comfortable during a m&g.

TimothyBFan
05-06-2010, 07:37 AM
I really think it depends on the situation. When I met Tim, I was not freaked out at all while he was in front of me - I just thought it was really cool.

"When I met Tim..." (mocking voice) --Rub it in Louise!!! :eyebrow: :hilarious:

Troubadour
05-06-2010, 05:37 PM
But who did I think of AS SOON as it was over and I realised I had two guitar picks? ;) Your time will come, I'm sure. You were so close in Chicago!

Prettymaid
05-06-2010, 06:46 PM
She's just :jealous: cuz he didn't snub you! :nahnah:

TimothyBFan
05-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Geesh you guys are so hurtful!! http://bestsmileys.com/crying/7.gif I know he would just love me --if he'd just get past the whole stalking thing!!

sodascouts
05-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Don't worry Willie, I'm sure he wanted to come back for you. It was the rest of us he was frightened of! "I know I promised the girl with the pretty blonde hair I'd come back but WOAH, did you see those scary friends??"

luvthelighthouse
05-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Hey, Hey!!! I was "trying" to look sweet and innocent! :angel:

Prettymaid
05-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Hey! :blush: (If I'd known she was going to speak to the man I'd have had her back, looking as non-scary as possible.)

TimothyBFan
05-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Sorry guys--I didn't have time to think, I just went with it!! It was now or never! In hindsight, I wish I would of turned around and screamed, "GUYS, I'M GOING TO SPEAK TO HIM!". That wouldn't have scared him at all! :hilarious:

sodascouts
06-01-2014, 04:02 PM
This came up in another thread and it made me wonder...

Say you are hanging out near a venue or whatever, and you saw one of the Eagles getting some coffee... or you were staying at the same hotel and saw one of them walking though the lobby... what would you do?

I've been in this situation before with non-Eagles. I saw Stevie Nicks walking through the lobby in the Four Seasons in Atlanta and I was too frightened to approach her. I was afraid she would think I was lame and/or be annoyed, and I couldn't bear the thought of such rejection from my idol. Indeed, I didn't even want her to see me - I was that desperate to avoid risking her displeasure. Still, I longed to speak to her!

On the other hand, in Chicago at the Ritz, Lindsey Buckingham came down to the hotel bar where some of my friends and I were hanging out post-show. After we made eye contact and he recognized us from the audience, he came over and talked to us. We even got hugs. Oh my gosh, I about died.

I've never seen an Eagle just walking by in a hotel or restaurant, though, and I think if it were to happen, I would probably do like I did with Stevie and just stare longingly without approaching. The exception would be Glenn. If it were Glenn, I would wave and try to make eye contact, but not approach unless he saw me and gave some kind of a signal like nodding, so I knew he wasn't in a hurry or busy and it would be OK.

What would you do?

Lainey
06-01-2014, 04:05 PM
I would like to tell Joe the joy his music brings to me, and how fabulous he looks since he got married. He seems to be in such a great place now and I think he is very approachable. I would die for a cuddle !

xLx

tjh532
06-01-2014, 04:17 PM
I would like to think that I would be brave enough to approach them. It might make a difference depending on what they were doing. If they were just walking through or right in the middle of doing something, I would probably leave them alone. Maybe sneak a picture :) But if they were waiting around for something or just at a store or in a lobby, I might approach them.

And Soda, I know what you mean when you say you were too scared to talk to Stevie. My favorite vocalist ever is Trisha Yearwood. I saw her when I lived in Minneapolis. She played a smaller venue ( a theater ) and when we were leaving we noticed a bus in the alley behind the theater. My husband at the time said-let's go see if she's there. By the time she came out there were about 20 of us standing there. She was so gracious, and I got her autograph, but I could hardly speak to her. Her music has meant so much to me over the years that I almost got choked up just saying a few words to her. It was surreal!

WalshFan88
06-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Call a wildlife rehabilitator, of course. ;)

Witchy Woman
06-01-2014, 05:22 PM
I would have no issue with going up to them to say hello. I'm sure I would be nervous at first, but they know if they go out in public these things are going to happen. I certainly would not bother them if they were eating or with their families.

I'm sure Stevie would have been receptive to you, Soda. If she didn't have a bunch of handlers or security around her she wasn't trying to hide from anyone. I hope you get the chance to meet her again.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-01-2014, 05:35 PM
I guess this may be a little different, but the first time I saw Glenn at Pebble Beach, I wasn't quite as tongue-tied as I thought I may be. Of course, he introduced himself first, so that may have been an icebreaker. So, like Soda, I wouldn't be as uncomfortable approaching him as I would the others. However, even at Pebble Beach, we would almost always let Glenn approach us first and I believe he appreciated that. I would like to think if I saw one of the other Eagles that I would have enough nerve to approach them and introduce myself as a huge fan. However, like others have said here, it would certainly depend on the circumstances. I would not want to irritate them by doing anything that they may perceive as an invasion of their privacy.

thelastresort
06-01-2014, 05:45 PM
I probably wouldn't approach them per se, I'd take the less direct route of just saying 'Thanks for the music' if I passed them.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Yes, I agree about the invasion! For me, it would depend on which Eagle and what the circumstances were. I've heard from others that when on tour, some of them, anyway, have security following them around, so whatever I did, I'd be careful!

I think regardless of who or where, at a high level, I'd work to catch their eye without going overboard. If I did catch their eye, I'd gauge their receptiveness. If they looked annoyed at being recognized, or were bracing themselves in some way, I'd likely just smile and leave it at that. If they looked at all welcoming, then I'd approach them. At that point, all thought would leave my head and I'd be a blathering idiot.

Tiffanny Twisted
06-01-2014, 06:27 PM
while I am basically a shy kinda gal , I think working with patients have made me more comfortable with aproaching strangers .

I understand how you could feel standoffish about approaching your idol.

Me , life is too short and I figure I got nothing to lose ..then again I usually have JAHH egging me on.

Slea wards hubby told me that she was always flattered to be approached and take pictures.
I think if they were with their familys say eating dinner I couldn't do that though.

Freypower
06-01-2014, 06:36 PM
This came up in another thread and it made me wonder...

Say you are hanging out near a venue or whatever, and you saw one of the Eagles getting some coffee... or you were staying at the same hotel and saw one of them walking though the lobby... what would you do?

I've been in this situation before with non-Eagles. I saw Stevie Nicks walking through the lobby in the Four Seasons in Atlanta and I was too frightened to approach her. I was afraid she would think I was lame and/or be annoyed, and I couldn't bear the thought of such rejection from my idol. Indeed, I didn't even want her to see me - I was that desperate to avoid risking her displeasure. Still, I longed to speak to her!

On the other hand, in Chicago at the Ritz, Lindsey Buckingham came down to the hotel bar where some of my friends and I were hanging out post-show. After we made eye contact and he recognized us from the audience, he came over and talked to us. We even got hugs. Oh my gosh, I about died.

I've never seen an Eagle just walking by in a hotel or restaurant, though, and I think if it were to happen, I would probably do like I did with Stevie and just stare longingly without approaching. The exception would be Glenn. If it were Glenn, I would wave and try to make eye contact, but not approach unless he saw me and gave some kind of a signal like nodding, so I knew he wasn't in a hurry or busy and it would be OK.

What would you do?

Similar to this if it were Glenn given that he has recognised me & spoken to me from the stage. With the others it would depend on the circumstances.

Zanny Kingston
06-01-2014, 06:37 PM
I pretty much agree with everyone that if I saw an Eagle with their family, I would respect their privacy and not approach.

On the other hand, if I did see one of them in some other circumstance I would try my best not to be a complete babbling idiot, as I would really just like to say thank you for the music.

sodascouts
06-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I agree that not approaching when they're with their families is a good rule of thumb.

MaryCalifornia
06-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Oh, if I saw Timothy in the market I would be all over that!!!:hilarious: :headbang: Just kidding I don't know what I would do.

I would be nervous to approach Don Henley under any circumstance.

If Glenn and Joe were not sitting down eating, i.e. if they were walking and didn't look stressed, I would walk up with a big smile and say hi.

sad-cafe
06-02-2014, 12:36 AM
faint,

then get all tongued tied and make no sense.

Houston Baby
06-02-2014, 10:15 AM
I wonder if you fainted you could get mouth to mouth resuscitation from an Eagle? :makeout:

SoaringRockyMountainWay
06-02-2014, 12:56 PM
I would have to try not to have a huge panic attack and/or scream. I freaked out just when they walked on stage at their concert. I would die if I ever got the chance to talk to them. I'd love to tell them how much their music has helped me.

Brooke
06-04-2014, 10:33 AM
I wonder if you fainted you could get mouth to mouth resuscitation from an Eagle? :makeout:

I think this would be the perfect way to get some attention from them! Maybe not mouth to mouth, but, being the nice guys that they are, they (any of them) would run over and see that you were alright. Then, the conversation would go spontaneously! And who knows where that would lead?! :nod: :hilarious:

Victim of Love
06-04-2014, 05:53 PM
YEARS ago when I was still living in Boston we were at South Station waiting to meet a friend coming in on Amtrak and spotted this guy who looked familiar but it took us a few minutes to place him. He was with his family, waiting to catch a train, just sitting there having coffee and Danish. It was Christopher and Dana Reeve and their children! They were frequent visitors to the Boston area where he did a lot of summer stock theater. Because he was with his family we didn't approach him but he did see us looking and very politely smiled and waved.

A few years later Mom took me and a couple of my friends to see Garth Brooks in New Haven, CT and we stayed at a Howard Johnson Motor Inn near the arena. We were in the restaurant having an early dinner when this gal walked in, sat down two tables over, ordered a coffee/tea and sat there for about half an hour. It was Martina McBride and it was one of the first shows where she opened for Garth. Again, we didn't approach her. But when we got back after the show we went into the lounge to get cold drinks and while we were sitting there she walked in with her husband, John, and her band. They actually started jamming so we just sat there and enjoyed. Martina sang a couple songs and then she came to our table, said she recognized us from the restaurant and asked if we had gone to the concert. What a sweetheart! She suggested we stick around for a while if we could, so of course we stayed. About ten minutes later Garth walked in and she introduced us! BOTH are totally grounded and so fan-friendly. There were less than a dozen people in the lounge and we all got a mini post-concert concert. They were actually staying there and we got to see them leave in the morning. It was exciting.

As for our guys, I would be least likely to attempt to approach Don under any circumstances unless he gave an indication that it was okay. And like everyone else, I wouldn't dream of interrupting if I saw them with their families or dining - although I WOULD approach (in a non-dining situation) if they were just with their spouse(s), if only to say how much I love and appreciate their music, maybe shake a hand, get an autograph/photo if their were agreeable. And here's a twist: if I were ever to see Timothy and Jean, I would love to talk to HER about her art! I wonder if that has ever happened?

06-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Wow VOL - how cool was that! Talk about being in the right place at the right time!

Victim of Love
06-04-2014, 10:17 PM
Dreamer, spending my teen years in Boston was almost as good as being in NYC, LA or Nashville when it came to close encounters with celebrities. Lots of movies and TV shows filmed there and it was a hotbed for the music industry in the 80's. There was a recording studio around the corner from a place Mom worked, home to The Cars and Aerosmith for a period of time. Frequent sightings but they were largely treated like average guys when you bumped into them on your way into CVS or the deli. And the tv series Spencer For Hire used the lobby of Mom's building for filming quite often. I guess when you live in an area like that you just take it in stride and go about your business and let them do the same. But the Martina/Garth encounter was memorable. I must have been about 16 or 17 at the time and it made a lasting impression.

sodascouts
06-04-2014, 10:18 PM
Very cool!

WalshFan88
06-04-2014, 11:13 PM
Now that I have time to actually answer this, here is what I think I would do.

Henley - Stay away at all costs (unless he approaches me). I'm sorry, I love the guy's voice but I think meeting him would probably leave me with a bad impression and a sour experience.

Frey - I'd probably only walk up to him if he was by himself and didn't look overwhelmed by others or busy. If he was smiling, I'd probably try to make myself known and somehow get his attention.

Schmit - I'd probably be afraid to bother him but I think he'd be pretty receptive to a fan. I certainly would bother him for an autograph but if he seemed happy and not busy I would ask for a picture.

Walsh - I'd feel most comfortable about Joe than any of them. As long as he wasn't busy, I'd definitely try my hardest to go up and say Hi or simply "How ya' doin"... :hilarious:

Felder - I'd feel pretty comfortable about meeting him as well if he wasn't busy and seemed in a good mood.

Meisner - I doubt I get the chance to meet Randy but if I did I'd probably just say Hello and go my own way.

Leadon - I'd probably say Hi and see what mood he was in. Probably leave it at that.

Prettymaid
06-05-2014, 07:13 PM
Call a wildlife rehabilitator, of course. ;)

LMBO

thelastresort
06-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Why's everyone so scared of Henley?

06-05-2014, 10:47 PM
I'm not scared of him. I think it would be fascinating to have a conversation with with Don.

flojo
06-06-2014, 04:14 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site I just spotted it by chance.
We've just seen the Eagles twice in Glasgow and once in Dublin in the past week. I figure that it's most likely the last tour they'll do in Europe so we're making the most of it!
I think Glenn Frey was starting to get worried because he kept seeing us in the front row so he sent one of the security guys to tell us to meet him in the hotel bar in Dublin last night! I was absolutely petrified but it turns out he's a really lovely down to earth guy, he sat chatting with us for almost an hour - I still can't believe it :)
We've been staying in the same hotel as them as it turns out; my other half passed Timothy Schmit in the corridor yesterday and apparently he just looked the other way, he was with his wife and daughter though.
I just thought it was such a lovely gesture by Glenn, what a guy.

UndertheWire
06-06-2014, 05:08 AM
The Third Encore lives on - in an age appropriate fashion! Thanks for sharing your story and, of course, I want to know more!

Houston Baby
06-06-2014, 09:18 AM
The Third Encore lives on - in an age appropriate fashion!

Funny UTW! And yes we want to know more please! :hilarious:

Glennsallnighter
06-06-2014, 09:23 AM
That's brilliant Flojo. Are you going tonight?

flojo
06-06-2014, 11:37 PM
Hi again, we came home yesterday Glennsallnighter, sorry it would've been great to meet up at the concert. We had thought about staying another night but we've been to 5 shows in the last couple of weeks and need to go back to work at some point! Plus Timothy Schmit was starting to look worried when he kept seeing us :hilarious:

I'll apologise in advance for the length of this post...

As for meeting the amazing Glenn Frey; he sent me some guitar picks on the 2nd night in Glasgow. He noticed us again in Dublin and near the end of the show held up 3 fingers and mouthed ''3 times'' at us (looking slightly bemused!)
He spoke to one of the guards who came down and asked us to wait at the end of the show - I was thinking we were either going to get arrested or if my wildest dreams had come true they might take us backstage for a quick hello on their way out of the building.
At the end the guard came back and asked what our names were and where we were from, he said Glenn had noticed that we'd been to a few shows and asked would be still be in town tomorrow and would we like to meet Glenn at the bar in the hotel for a drink at 6. It was all I could do not to scream at that point!
Needless to say I couldn't sleep after that trying to think of what to say or how not to be a complete gibbering wreck!

So we went to the bar early to calm the nerves and just after 6 in he walked. It's amazing the aura he has about him, everybody was staring and probably wondering what the hell he was doing coming to sit with us at the bar, the poor barman looked like he might die of fright.
I think his first words were 'You crazy kids' or something to that effect, it's nice to be called a kid at 32!
I offered him a drink and he ordered a cranberry juice, I know it's a bit disappointing not to be able to say I had a drinking session with Glenn Frey!

He asked where we were from and how many shows we'd been to. I told him 5 in Europe on that part of the tour, he said he hadn't seen us in Amsterdam or Antwerp but noticed us in Glasgow. We told him we'd been to other shows in the states (Mohegan Sun, St Louis, Vegas) and he had a laugh that we'd spent part of a vacation in St Louis - if you've ever been there you'll understand! He asked if we were going on Friday night in Dublin and we said sadly we had to go home to go back to work, then he asked about our work and how we managed to get so many vacations. He asked when my first Eagles concert was and I told him 2006 at Hampden in Glasgow.
I told him we'd been to so many of the European shows as I feared they wouldn't be touring here again for quite a while (I said that rather than never again because it seems so sad) and he agreed and talked about how much work it is to do such a huge tour and that they won't go on much longer :worried:
He told us all the other guys had their families with them but as his youngest son is only 12 that his family had stayed at home for school etc.
I asked if the band were all sick of the sight of each other and he said they socialise at the soundchecks/shows and outwith that they do their own things mostly, which is understandable.
He asked how long we'd been married and we told him 3 years, he laughed and said ''that's only a thousand days and nights.''
We basically just chatted, we didn't want to sit there firing questions at him or asking him things that he's been asked a million times before (as much as I would have liked to ask would they ever sing 'outlaw man' or 'try and love again' live).
It was nice just to be there and know that he was decent enough to waste an hour of his time chatting to a couple of fans. For the same reason we didn't ask for a photo as we thought it would be a bit intrusive, plus it was the kind of hotel I reckon it would be frowned upon in. If he'd asked if we wanted a photo then of course we would have jumped at the chance - I know most of you are probably thinking I'm crazy right now but I'll always have the memory and the bar tab with his two cranberry juices on it :hilarious:
He did try to pick up the tab for the drinks and was swiftly told by me there was no way in hell he was paying!
Maybe he went away thinking we were the most unenthusiastic fans he'd ever met, I hope not!

Anyway, sorry for rabbiting on, I feel totally deflated now that I'm home back in the real world!
I have to say that was one of the most amazing experiences of my life and I'm glad to say he's a really lovely genuine guy.

UndertheWire
06-07-2014, 02:47 AM
Still having trouble sleeping? Thank you for all the detail. When you're writing for fans, there's no such thing as too much!

tequila girl
06-07-2014, 04:11 AM
WOW, What an amazing story flojo - thanks for sharing! :partytime:
and welcome to The Border btw :-)

flojo
06-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Thanks guys, I still haven't recovered :hilarious: hopefully I'll sleep better tonight!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-07-2014, 05:41 PM
FJ, that is so cool! I wish I had more time to ask a thousand questions, but I'm at the office right now and not even supposed to be on here! Congrats to you...

WalshFan88
06-07-2014, 06:23 PM
How cool FJ!!! I'm glad to hear great stories about how he is with his fans!

Sad to hear that he said they won't be touring much longer.

thelastresort
06-07-2014, 07:02 PM
Amazing account Flojo!

Bit of a contrast though - Henley gets interviewed and implies another album may happen; Frey has a quiet chat and implies they won't be around for much longer :eyebrow: I can understand though where they both come from. As amazing as the guys are still both performance and health-wise, in five years they'll all be in their seventies (:shock:) and there will sadly be a point where they aren't as downright brilliant as they are now. Anyway, let's just enjoy them for the here and now.

(Sorry for the depressing post! :()

DJ
06-07-2014, 07:17 PM
What a fabulous experience Flojo! Good to know Glenn is truely a nice guy. Certainly a event you won't forget!!

Welcome to the Boarder!!

"Life in the Fast Lane, surely make you lose your mind"

flojo
06-08-2014, 05:49 AM
Amazing account Flojo!

Bit of a contrast though - Henley gets interviewed and implies another album may happen; Frey has a quiet chat and implies they won't be around for much longer :eyebrow: I can understand though where they both come from. As amazing as the guys are still both performance and health-wise, in five years they'll all be in their seventies (:shock:) and there will sadly be a point where they aren't as downright brilliant as they are now. Anyway, let's just enjoy them for the here and now.

(Sorry for the depressing post! :()

Hi Lastresort, hopefully he was just speaking relatively...compared to a 40-odd year career maybe 5 years or so isn't long :) I certainly hope so!
The way he spoke gave me the impression they wouldn't do another big worldwide tour. Hopefully they'll still do plenty in the States.
It is such a depressing thought, but like you say we should all make the most of them while we can. I just wish I'd been around in the beginning!

NYC Fan
06-08-2014, 09:17 AM
Flojo-

Wow, what an incredible story! I'm glad Glenn was so lovely to you, and how incredible that he remembers faces from show to show. Amazing that he would take the time to do something like that.

Talk about a treasured memory for you. Thanks for sharing with us!

Where are you from in Scotland? I went on vacation to the Highlands a few years ago, and it was spectacular. Such a beautiful place.

Elizasong
06-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Wow Flojo your are so lucky to one have seen so many shows in so many places around the world AND for an Eagle to acknowledge you and take a little time to give you some one on one time. That was very nice of him!! Pictures or no pictures you'll always have that. :partytime:

cricrichan
06-09-2014, 02:58 AM
Wow!!! Thank you Flojo for sharing this AWESOME experience :)

irga
06-09-2014, 03:18 AM
Floyo, I am lost for words...:jawdrop:
What an amazing experience. Glenn is fabulous. :thumbsup:

flojo
06-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Flojo-

Wow, what an incredible story! I'm glad Glenn was so lovely to you, and how incredible that he remembers faces from show to show. Amazing that he would take the time to do something like that.

Talk about a treasured memory for you. Thanks for sharing with us!

Where are you from in Scotland? I went on vacation to the Highlands a few years ago, and it was spectacular. Such a beautiful place.

Hi NYC Fan, I'm from Glasgow, I spend most of my time getting out of the place due to the constant rain :)
I'm still on a high, it's funny what a profound effect something like that can have on you. Are you going to any of the shows later in the year?

GlennLover
06-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Welcome, Flojo! How fantastic for you that Glenn invited you to meet him & spent some time with you! :) If that happened to me I don't think I would be able to utter a word!

Enjoy your time on The Border!

thelastresort
06-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Hi NYC Fan, I'm from Glasgow, I spend most of my time getting out of the place due to the constant rain :)

I can't remember if I've said, so if not, welcome! That's a shame, in all seriousness Glasgow is one of my favourite cities and I never pass the opportunity to go there. Bit rough around the edges and not as glamorous as Edinburgh, but a fine place with a fine history.

Brooke
06-09-2014, 02:20 PM
I told him 5 in Europe on that part of the tour, he said he hadn't seen us in Amsterdam or Antwerp but noticed us in Glasgow. We told him we'd been to other shows in the states (Mohegan Sun, St Louis, Vegas) and he had a laugh that we'd spent part of a vacation in St Louis - if you've ever been there you'll understand! He asked if we were going on Friday night in Dublin and we said sadly we had to go home to go back to work, then he asked about our work and how we managed to get so many vacations. He asked when my first Eagles concert was and I told him 2006 at Hampden in Glasgow.

What an incredible story flojo! Just read this again and forgot this part! But, I've been to St. Louis many, many times and I guess I don't get what you mean here?

I love St. Louis! :eyebrow:

flojo
06-09-2014, 03:33 PM
What an incredible story flojo! Just read this again and forgot this part! But, I've been to St. Louis many, many times and I guess I don't get what you mean here?

I love St. Louis! :eyebrow:

Hi Brooke,
What I meant was it's hardly a popular holiday destination for Brits. When I think holiday I usually go for a beach or lots of snow!
We did choose the wrong side of town to stay in, we stayed in the Hilton at the train station that's closed down. It was a bit creepy, like something from a movie :) The riverfront area was nice and we went shopping just out of town but I don't know that I could have lasted more than a few days there!
I'm not a city person, I'm also probably the only person in the world that didn't like Vegas!

NYC Fan
06-10-2014, 07:24 AM
I'm still on a high, it's funny what a profound effect something like that can have on you. Are you going to any of the shows later in the year?

We were really lucky with the weather when I visited. I think it only really rained one day. But rain all the time would get to me too. We flew into Inverness, but I'd like to see Glasgow and Edinburgh some day.

I'm hoping to get to both September MSG shows. I get back from a vacation the afternoon of the first one, but am going to try to get there! Like you, I'm trying to get to as many as I can, because I feel like this is so fleeting.

I'm sure you will be on a high for weeks after that experience! I can't even imagine. Congrats again.

And before I get too far off the topic, I guess Glenn is in NYC this week? I need to keep my eyes open in my travels :-). If I ever saw him on the street, I'd probably just wave and say hi in passing, unless he was with his family. Then I wouldn't bother him.

flojo
09-17-2014, 07:22 PM
I thought I'd better post before GA gets angry with me :hilarious:
We went to the Boston TD garden show and I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get a wave from Glenn. To be honest I didn't really expect him to remember us anyway.
We were walking to the elevator in our hotel the next afternoon to meet Zanny and her husband at the bar, and who walks out of the elevator at our floor!
I had only just realised it was Glenn when he did a double take and stopped and and said 'hi sweetie' and gave me a kiss on the cheek. I can't remember anything else he said as my brain was mush by that point! My other half got a handshake.
He was with 2 people who were waiting on him so we obviously didn't linger.
As he was walking away he told them we were from Scotland, so he must have remembered us! Or maybe the accent gave us away :)
Needless to say Zanny was stamping her feet as they must have missed him by seconds in the lobby, I had a huge grin on my face for the rest of the night much to everyone's annoyance!
What a nice guy, and to have stopped when he was in company was surprising.
As if that wasn't enough excitement, we went back to the hotel after the walden woods show and Robert Redford was in the bar. I thought Zanny was going to die of embarrassment when her husband shouted 'Mr Redford-congratulations' as he passed us when he left :hilarious:

Karen if you're reading this it was lovely to meet you at the show, hope you got home ok.
GL I'm so sorry we missed you.

I think I'll buy some lottery tickets now. . .

Glennsallnighter
09-18-2014, 09:20 AM
My goodness Flojo! How lucky are you! :jealous: Delighted you met him again. Bet you haven't washed your face since! Well done :jealous:!

Brooke
09-18-2014, 09:34 AM
Flojo, how awesome! Glenn is such a sweetie! :inlove:

Houston Baby
09-18-2014, 12:52 PM
Wow Flojo! Right time, right place - it was meant to be.
ITA Brooke - Glenn is a sweetie!

cynd1231
09-18-2014, 03:42 PM
Flojo, what an incredible experience and a lifetime of memories! So thrilled for you.

As for me, I think if I were to meet one of the guys -- wouldn't matter which one -- I would probably say what a pleasure it is to meet him and thank him for all of the wonderful music the band has provided for all of their fans thru the years. And I would want to know: Given all of your success and the opportunities you've had thru your career, what is the one thing you never achieved that's on the top of your bucket list both personally AND professionally? I can imagine the answers would be profound, funny and incredibly insightful.

DJ
09-18-2014, 05:05 PM
I thought I'd better post before GA gets angry with me :hilarious:
We went to the Boston TD garden show and I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get a wave from Glenn. To be honest I didn't really expect him to remember us anyway.
We were walking to the elevator in our hotel the next afternoon to meet Zanny and her husband at the bar, and who walks out of the elevator at our floor!
I had only just realised it was Glenn when he did a double take and stopped and and said 'hi sweetie' and gave me a kiss on the cheek. I can't remember anything else he said as my brain was mush by that point! My other half got a handshake.
He was with 2 people who were waiting on him so we obviously didn't linger.
As he was walking away he told them we were from Scotland, so he must have remembered us! Or maybe the accent gave us away :)
Needless to say Zanny was stamping her feet as they must have missed him by seconds in the lobby, I had a huge grin on my face for the rest of the night much to everyone's annoyance!
What a nice guy, and to have stopped when he was in company was surprising.
As if that wasn't enough excitement, we went back to the hotel after the walden woods show and Robert Redford was in the bar. I thought Zanny was going to die of embarrassment when her husband shouted 'Mr Redford-congratulations' as he passed us when he left :hilarious:

Karen if you're reading this it was lovely to meet you at the show, hope you got home ok.
GL I'm so sorry we missed you.

I think I'll buy some lottery tickets now. . .

Oh you are a lucky lucky girl!

The Disco Strangler
09-19-2014, 11:53 AM
I'd ask Timothy when he is going to write his autobiography. I'm a book junkie, and I especially love rock 'n' roll biograhies and autobiographies.

tjh532
09-20-2014, 10:27 AM
I'd ask Timothy when he is going to write his autobiography. I'm a book junkie, and I especially love rock 'n' roll biograhies and autobiographies.

I'd buy that one!

I wonder if any of the guys in the band will write one? I've read Felder's, and always considered parts of the documentary to be Don and Glenn's response to it. However, I would like to read about each of the guys personal journeys and thoughts.