PDA

View Full Version : Sporting Sensations

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Grey Sadler
11-18-2012, 10:52 PM
I like Formula One. They are making yet another attempt to try & make it appeal to Americans, this time in Austin.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/18/lewis-hamilton-us-grand-prix

I was reeeeeallly into F1 back when Michael Andretti was trying (badly) to compete...:|

OTOH...I do loooove Marcos Ambrose!! :thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
11-19-2012, 09:54 AM
No explanation necessary.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/NotreDame111-2012.jpg

Grey Sadler
11-19-2012, 11:11 PM
Kewl, TBF!!

The entire "pointy end" of Tennessee is now in "told you so" mode since UT fired Derek Dooley...but, hey, I'm a UNC fan, so... :hilarious:

Good racing news, though...my man Elliott Sadler is running a FULL Nationwide season with Joe Gibbs Racing:partytime:
Maybe there's a chance he can get the M&Ms sponsorship back & become The Candyman again...?

TimothyBFan
11-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Well, my beloved Irish pulled off the undefeated regular season and are going to the BCS Championship on January 7th. I shed some tears Saturday night when it was all said and done. It's been 24 years since our last championship and it's good to be a contender again.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Undefeated.jpg

VAisForEagleLovers
11-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Congrats, TBF!!

zeldabjr
11-26-2012, 03:10 PM
I watched the game and was thinking of you TBF!!!...said to myself...bet she's cryin'!

Grey Sadler
11-26-2012, 10:23 PM
:partytime::partytime:Yay TBF!!:partytime::partytime:
Are you hoping for Alabama or Georgia in the championship game?

...I had forgotten that ND was kinda-sorta joining the ACC, I think there's plans for a UNC/ND game in 2014? That's gonna be something to look forward to :thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
11-27-2012, 09:15 AM
:partytime::partytime:Yay TBF!!:partytime::partytime:
Are you hoping for Alabama or Georgia in the championship game?

I don't really know. I'm thinking Georgia might be easier to beat but then again, I think these boys are so hyped up, they could beat just about anyone at this point.

Told hubby last night, it's just nice to have 6 weeks to just bask in the fact we are #1 and in the championship without having to wait for each Saturday's game to see if we'll still be undefeated.

Prettymaid
11-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Congrats to Notre Dame!

Prettymaid
11-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Okay. now you guys have to put up with my favorite sport - college basketball! The University of Illinois Fighting Illini have a new head coach this year and we are 8-0! We'll have to wait and see how good we are when conference play starts, but for now I'm a happy girl!

Here's an athletic-looking Joseph Bertrand from last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rNqfhfvp8w&feature=youtu.be

TimothyBFan
11-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Okay. now you guys have to put up with my favorite sport - college basketball! The University of Illinois Fighting Illini have a new head coach this year and we are 8-0! We'll have to wait and see how good we are when conference play starts, but for now I'm a happy girl!

Here's an athletic-looking Joseph Bertrand from last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rNqfhfvp8w&feature=youtu.be

How about those Hoosiers? :wink:

VAisForEagleLovers
11-29-2012, 06:20 PM
It's not my favorite sport, but I prefer it far and above professional basketball! And of course...I'm a Pitt fan.

zeldabjr
11-29-2012, 09:36 PM
not into basketball...but that was an amazing lay-up that guy did last night!...wow

zeldabjr
11-29-2012, 09:51 PM
NHL talks end with mediators...no progress made...big surprise...:-(

Prettymaid
11-29-2012, 09:58 PM
How about those Hoosiers? :wink:

TBF, I think it's terrific that Indiana is ranked #1 in the country! I will root for them unless it's not in my team's best interest. ;-)

cheryl
11-29-2012, 10:27 PM
TBF. I have always been a Notre Dame football fan. I just watched the basketball team beat Ky. The Indiana Hoosiers are my favorite team. Been a fan since 1960 and had basketball season tickets since 1990. Basketball is my favorite sport and so far this year has been a lot of fun. I have been lucky enough to meet most of this year's team ( and posed for pictures with several players plus Coach Crean). This is a great group of guys. I close by saying "GO IRISH".

Prettymaid
11-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Nice to hear from you Cheryl. Hope you are doing well. How cool that you've had your picture taken with Coach Crean and some of the players!

TimothyBFan
11-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Cheryl-- I forgot you were a fellow Hoosier!!! :thumbsup:

I thought it was awesome that the whole football team showed up for the basketball game last night to cheer them on in the win over Kentucky!! Basketball was actually the first sport I started following at Notre Dame in grade school, then football in Jr high when they won the Championship in 1977 then when I graduated high school and moved to South Bend I had season tickets for all the football and basketball games. Went to a hockey scrimmage before a football game one Saturday, met a Notre Dame hockey player and started going to all those games Friday and Saturday nights. It payed off---I dated that hockey player for 3 years :hilarious: and he played baseball also so I started going to all those games. Finally sold my season tickets for all 4 sports after I met my husband and we got married. Was able to make a down payment on our house for the price I spent on those tickets every year. :thumbsup: Still hit games when I can tho.

Loved Bobby Knight when he coached the Hoosiers but didn't become a big fan till 3 1/2 years ago when our son became a student there. The excitement on that campus is crazy thanks to Coach Crean! He's turning that program around in a BIG way!! Good to see them on top again.

Have to tell you guys about a text I got from my niece's husband last week after ND beat USC. My nephew and the husbands of 2 of my niece's are Michigan and Tennessee fans and we have some huge battles about Notre Dame and send just horrible text to each other every Saturday.:hilarious: I received the text last week saying even tho he isn't a fan, he's very happy they are going to the Championship for me and if he won a raffle of an autographed ND football by Coach Kelly if I'd want it. Duh!! Of course, especially this year. Guess they're having a fund raiser at work for United Way and the football is one of the prizes. You can get an arm length of tickets for $20, and according to my niece, he told her as soon as he saw the football he told everyone he has to win that for his aunt and that he has a very long arm. :hilarious:

zeldabjr
11-30-2012, 11:33 PM
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh572/zeldabjr/261569_409218129151333_2080216897_n.jpg?t=13543326 74

VAisForEagleLovers
12-02-2012, 02:24 PM
If I thought Santa could really bring back the NHL, I'd bombard him with letters.

As for today's games...#43 is active and will be in uniform today!!

zeldabjr
12-02-2012, 04:18 PM
If I thought Santa could really bring back the NHL, I'd bombard him with letters.

As for today's games...#43 is active and will be in uniform today!!

:yay::yay:#43...and I'll be watching!!

VAisForEagleLovers
12-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Serious happiness here at my house!! WooHoo!

zeldabjr
12-07-2012, 12:29 AM
getting really sick of this NHL sh..!..and of looking at Gary Bettman's and Donald Fehr's faces!...

VAisForEagleLovers
12-07-2012, 09:48 AM
You and me both! Zelda, I meant to send you a link to an article about the talks, it actually came up in a Glenn Frey Google alert, I have no idea why. Basically, the Bruins owner ripped on another, newer owner and told him he needed to learn his place. Obviously, this thing is run by committee and the committee is very small.

Grey Sadler
12-08-2012, 09:28 PM
My two favorite basketball teams are playing each other tonight...East TN State (my alma mater) and UNC...:nahnah:
However, between rebuilding (and losing 2 morons to drug offenses), it's no surprise that ETSU is losing 42-12 to the Heels (hey, we were actually a threat to Michigan State a few years ago in the NCAA tournament!!) :eyebrow:

TimothyBFan
12-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Just going to vent for a minute so bare with me (sure all of you know what it's about)....

I'M SO P*SSED ABOUT THE HEISMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad I got that off my chest! I really do think it was very wrong for Manziel to win it for a couple reasons, none of which is because I wanted a Domer to win the award. 1) I truly believe that Manti T'eo deserved this award. 2) Manziel is only a Freshman and I truly believe this award should go to someone who has proven himself more than 1 year in the college ranks and the best reason of all is 3) Manziel has a freaking arrest record and to me that is not representative of what the Heisman is about.

That being said, from here on in the Heisman should go to the best OFFENSIVE player only, seeing as how since the most decorative player in college football can't win it, simply because he plays defense as most think, then let's call it what it apparently is.... an offensive award.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-23-2012, 07:58 PM
TBF, it's been a while since I looked at this thread. I don't blame you for being torqued. I haven't been keeping up, when do the Irish play their bowl game?

As for me on the football front...it's been a horrible three weeks. There will be no playoffs for us and there is no freakin' hockey to turn to! :scowl::mad::evil::evil::depressed::twisted: :censored: :censored: :censored:

sodascouts
01-05-2013, 12:52 AM
I don't always watch football, but when I do, I watch my alma mater Texas A&M! And tonight.... they owned a record-breaking win at the Cotton Bowl!

GIG 'EM, FIGHTIN' TEXAS AGGIES!!!!!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/96030t.jpg

zeldabjr
01-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Congratulations to the USA for winning the gold medal in the World Juniors Hockey Tournament today...they beat Sweden 3-1...I was up watching it at 8AM today...it was in Russia...probably the only hockey I'll see for a while!!

zeldabjr
01-06-2013, 11:19 AM
TSN is reporting a tentative agreement has been reached between NHL and NHLPA...anyone care at this point?...not me

VAisForEagleLovers
01-06-2013, 12:10 PM
I do! I do! Dancing around the house here. Like I said on FB, maybe wearing a Pens shirt to church last night helped!

Freypower
01-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Liverpool beat Mansfield 2 -1 to progress to the next round of the FA Cup. :pray:

VAisForEagleLovers
01-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Happy for you, FP!

TimothyBFan
01-07-2013, 07:49 AM
I think there's a little game on tonight that I might find interesting!!! :hilarious:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/BCS_zps2999558b.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Irish_zps04a37815.jpg

zeldabjr
01-07-2013, 09:39 AM
I'll be watching and rooting on your team Willie!!!

Freypower
01-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Good luck to them!

zeldabjr
01-07-2013, 06:07 PM
OK so I lied...I am excited about hockey being back!!!:)

VAisForEagleLovers
01-08-2013, 12:09 AM
TBF, I just checked the score before heading to bed. 12 minutes or so left in the 4th. My heart is breaking for you. :sad:

zeldabjr
01-08-2013, 01:10 AM
TBF, I just checked the score before heading to bed. 12 minutes or so left in the 4th. My heart is breaking for you. :sad:

me too VA:-(

TimothyBFan
01-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Thanks guys. What a heartbreaker it was. It's one thing to lose but quite another when it's a slaughter. After licking my wounds a couple days, I'm sure I'll be very happy with the knowledge that we were an unranked team before the season started, yet ended the regular season undefeated and ranked #1 and made it to the championship. :thumbsup: Besides, who wants a stupid glass football trophy anyways? They break so easy (which is what happened to one of Bama's trophies I understand). Hope they break this one too. :hilarious:

Troubadour
01-08-2013, 02:12 PM
I'm sorry about the loss, Willie, but it sounds like your team had a great season. You should be proud! :thumbsup:

Freypower
01-09-2013, 06:06 PM
This will probably make you even less happy. One of the Alabama players is Australian.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/party-cut-short-as-nfl-awaits-20130109-2cgtj.html

TimothyBFan
01-10-2013, 08:12 AM
Actually FP, I meant to mention that. They said something about it during the game.

And to add insult to injury, it was leaked last evening that our coach, Brian Kelly, interviewed with the Philadelphia Eagles for the head coaching job. Lots of fans are feeling a bit blindsided and betrayed. In only a short 3 years, he gets the program to the very top only to turn around and obviously be considering leaving. Time will tell but this could get ugly.

prayfordaylight
01-10-2013, 10:08 AM
I doubt he'll leave. A lot of coaches sadly interview with pro teams to leverage a raise where they're already coaching.

Freypower
01-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Coaches/managers leave teams in soccer all the time so I would be surprised if it didn't happen in American football as well.

TimothyBFan
01-17-2013, 09:27 AM
I hate to put this here but I'm sure many of you have already heard about it, it's all over the media and many of you have probably wondered what I'm thinking about it. I don't know how to answer that. It's just an amazing and disturbing story for sure. And as much as it pains me to say, I don't believe that Manti isn't involved beyond being just an innocent victim in it all. Call me cynical (I choose to call it being a realist) but a 3 year "relationship" and you had no idea it was a hoax? Not buying it.

Here's the original story that broke the news.

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

And here's just one of the stories about Manti's version of it.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/01/17/girlfriend-faked-death-in-hoax-targeting-football-player-manti-teo-notre-dame/

Regardless of what the truth is, it has certainly put a damper on a dream season for us Notre Dame fans. Add it to the horrible defeat in the championship game and it has really brought the high from the rest of the season to a very low point.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-17-2013, 09:32 AM
I read what you put on FB, TBF, and I'm not sure what to think. I hate to say it, but he's young enough to fall for a scam like that. I guess I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. There does seem to be the question of him saying he met her when he obviously didn't, however, he may have said that at the time because others were making fun of him (or something) for having an online relationship. At any rate, if he really was a victim of the scam my heart really goes out to him. If he knew all along, well, what comes around goes around.

At least he's young and can blame his stupidity on that. What we're about to hear from Lance Armstrong still breaks my heart.

Brooke
01-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Don't even get me started on LA. He needs to just disappear. Why they would even contemplate the idea of him competing again is beyond me. Jerk.

zeldabjr
01-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Brooke and VA...totally agree with your last posts!

Troubadour
01-17-2013, 01:20 PM
I'm sorry, Willie. Whatever the truth is, I can understand your sadness and anger - you feel like you have been betrayed by your team/university, and that's horrible. I felt the same way when my rugby team, Harlequins, had a scandal dubbed 'Bloodgate'. (One of the players had a blood capsule in his mouth so that he could be substituted by another player - if he hadn't been 'injured', it wouldn't have been allowed and they probably would have lost the game.) It caused a big storm and, although the player came under fire, it emerged that he was just a pawn in the game - it was all about the coaches and managers wanting to win and, because the player was young, he did what he was told. I know it's not the same situation at all, but I do understand what it feels like when a team/charity/organisation you love does something immoral and appears less than desirable. I hope Notre Dame and the player involved can recover from this. It seems like a very strange story.

sodascouts
01-18-2013, 07:07 PM
I hope the football player is telling the truth, too.

Speaking of the truth... I have no respect for Lance Armstrong. Even if you excuse the doping with "everybody's doing it" the lengths he took to cover it up - including vicious attacks on his accusers in attempts to discredit them so he could continue competing under false pretenses - make it into something much more despicable. It wasn't just lying about doping; he lied about other people as well, painting accusers as "out to get him" and calling THEM liars when they were only calling him out on his cheating. Disgusting.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-18-2013, 08:53 PM
The whole LA issue has me pretty upset. You'd think at my age I'd learn not to hold people up as 'heroes' just because they play a sport well, yet I got bitten yet again.

Now, I'm turning my attention to tomorrow! It's the BIG DAY!! Yes, I realize it's the premier of the DVD at Sundance and that's a wonderful thing, but it's also the first day of hockey! 3pm, I'll be GLUED to my TV. I can't wait!

zeldabjr
01-18-2013, 11:41 PM
The whole LA issue has me pretty upset. You'd think at my age I'd learn not to hold people up as 'heroes' just because they play a sport well, yet I got bitten yet again.

Now, I'm turning my attention to tomorrow! It's the BIG DAY!! Yes, I realize it's the premier of the DVD at Sundance and that's a wonderful thing, but it's also the first day of hockey! 3pm, I'll be GLUED to my TV. I can't wait!

what hockey is on at 3 PM?...

VAisForEagleLovers
01-19-2013, 12:11 AM
what hockey is on at 3 PM?...

Pens vs. Flyers!

zeldabjr
01-19-2013, 12:46 AM
oh good...so excited...I didn't realize there was a game on then..woo hoo!!!...we play the hated Flyers Sunday at 12.30 on NBC...I can watch some more hockey tomorrow night on the Canadian channel...Toronto at Montreal then the late game Anaheim at Vancouver!!!...hockey heaven!!!

EagleLady
02-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Super Bowl may be this Sunday Im ready for the NASCAR Season. I would love to see Elliott win the Nationwide title after being screwed out of it the past two seasons. He's a cutie and a nice guy.

Grey Sadler
02-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Super Bowl may be this Sunday Im ready for the NASCAR Season. I would love to see Elliott win the Nationwide title after being screwed out of it the past two seasons. He's a cutie and a nice guy.

You read my mind, EL!! :cheers:
Nothing against Stenhouse, but Ells has worked really hard this last few years...he deserves way more than 2nd, I do believe Coach Gibbs can give him the boost!!

VAisForEagleLovers
02-10-2013, 11:18 PM
:censored: Penguins. Lost two in a row, to the NJ Devils. :censored:
:censored:

zeldabjr
02-10-2013, 11:46 PM
yeah we lost to the Bruins tonight...our two game winning streak down the tubes!...haha!

Grey Sadler
02-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Ohhh dear...
Terrible finish to Nationwide Race...Kyle Larson's car went into the fence during the wreck at the end of the last lap...there were some spectators injured and I believe one driver has been taken to a local hospital...:pray:

EagleLady
02-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Yeah that was bad. Hope the fans are ok.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-23-2013, 06:22 PM
I just logged on here to see if anyone had seen that. Just saw a snippet on MSN, it said some fans were injured. Must have been a heck of a wreck to cause that.

Troubadour
02-23-2013, 06:22 PM
Oh wow... I hope everyone will be okay.

The Six Nations rugby tournament is on at the moment and, after beating France today, we (England) have won our first three games. Good to see my favourite player, Toby Flood, come on as a substitute too!

VAisForEagleLovers
02-23-2013, 06:36 PM
Troub, what is the story with the Bradford City Football Club? I'm reading an article about them and it's not making much sense to me. Apparently a person needs to know a lot more about English Soccer than I do, but it sounds like a great story?

Glad to hear your Rugby team is doing so well!

Troubadour
02-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Basically they are a League Two team (our football has leagues or divisions, where teams are relegated or promoted each year based on points/matches won) and they have astonished everybody by beating some of the top teams in the country during this cup tournament. They will play the final at Wembley tomorrow - Wembley is the home of English football and just an iconic place to play. I'm really hoping that they do it. Everyone loves an underdog! The story about the manager's wife being in a wheelchair and too ill to see some of their victories has added that extra edge of emotion. A lot has also been made of the fact that football has brought people of all cultures together, after some riots and racial tensions in that area over the past few years.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Basically they are a League Two team (our football has leagues or divisions, where teams are relegated or promoted each year based on points/matches won) and they have astonished everybody by beating some of the top teams in the country during this cup tournament. They will play the final at Wembley tomorrow - Wembley is the home of English football and just an iconic place to play. I'm really hoping that they do it. Everyone loves an underdog! The story about the manager's wife being in a wheelchair and too ill to see some of their victories has added that extra edge of emotion.

Oh wow, that's an interesting concept, having teams get promoted or relegated each year. We do that with players between 'major' teams and farm clubs, and generally through-out the year, in hockey and baseball. However, having an entire team move up or down depending on the performance for a year is very interesting. Good grief, I can't even imagine how the NFL would deal with that!

Troubadour
02-23-2013, 07:09 PM
It's interesting, isn't it! Basically, it's the top three teams in each division at the end of the season that get promoted, and the bottom three that get relegated. (There are some variations, but I won't get too long-winded!) I think it's cool because it means that even a small club way down the divisions has the chance of rising up the ranks and making the premier league. It keeps things fresh.

Grey Sadler
02-23-2013, 11:07 PM
Cool...never knew that about "footie"! :thumbsup:

Official NASCAR report--14 fans treated at the track, 14 sent to Halifax Medical Center (one was reported as a child with head injuries :-()...in addition to Michael Annett being taken to Halifax from the previous accident...they are going to work all night to get the fence back up for tomorrow, they say...

Freypower
02-24-2013, 01:30 AM
It's interesting, isn't it! Basically, it's the top three teams in each division at the end of the season that get promoted, and the bottom three that get relegated. (There are some variations, but I won't get too long-winded!) I think it's cool because it means that even a small club way down the divisions has the chance of rising up the ranks and making the premier league. It keeps things fresh.

It keeps it fresh except that certain clubs will never be relegated (the only club which never has been relegated at all is Arsenal). I can't remember when it last happened to Liverpool but my husband had to suffer it only two seasons ago with Newcastle.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Found out a little while ago that the Steelers have released #92 James Harrison. You know, it's 'just sports' and it's not supposed to be so important, yet I find my entire beautiful spring day has been ruined.

zeldabjr
03-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Found out a little while ago that the Steelers have released #92 James Harrison. You know, it's 'just sports' and it's not supposed to be so important, yet I find my entire beautiful spring day has been ruined.

yeah I heard...I wondered what you were thinking about them doing this?...don't let it ruin your day...I know..easy for me to say...

Ive always been a dreamer
03-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Aww VA - sorry for the bad news for you. Hang in there and don't let it get you down too much.

EagleLady
03-16-2013, 08:00 PM
So Sorry about Elliott's day GS. I know You would have loved for him to win it again :-(

Grey Sadler
03-16-2013, 08:20 PM
So Sorry about Elliott's day GS. I know You would have loved for him to win it again :-(

Thanks, EL...I kept saying all week I wish I had tickets for today's race...ack...
I saw him bonk the wall, then I heard them broadcast him saying the water pump (?) was gone...poor guy, as much as he loves Bristol, I think he deserves another win here!!

VAisForEagleLovers
03-19-2013, 10:49 PM
First, it was a real shock that NCAA defending champs Kentucky were left out of the 68-team draw for this year's tourney. So of course that made them the #1 seed for the NIT. For those who don't follow college basketball, the NIT is ultimate consolation prize. They were expected to sweep their way through and tonight they lost in the first round, to the lowest seed in the tourney, Robert Morris from Pittsburgh.

All my co-workers in Kentucky are going to be in lousy moods tomorrow. I don't think having Louisville in the NCAA makes them feel better.

prayfordaylight
03-20-2013, 09:30 AM
I imagine it's especially tough on them because Louisville is a favorite to win. I bet people in Pittsburgh are thrilled though. It was a fun game to watch.

Getting excited for the tournament myself. Headed up to Philly for the weekend for the 2nd and 3rd round games there.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-20-2013, 10:02 AM
I imagine it's especially tough on them because Louisville is a favorite to win. I bet people in Pittsburgh are thrilled though. It was a fun game to watch.

Getting excited for the tournament myself. Headed up to Philly for the weekend for the 2nd and 3rd round games there.

I was watching the Penguin game!! They announced it at the end of the game, and since the Pens won as well, I was a happy fan last night!

zeldabjr
03-28-2013, 01:44 AM
wow VA...those Penguins are busy bees...now Iginla?!!!

VAisForEagleLovers
03-28-2013, 08:52 AM
wow VA...those Penguins are busy bees...now Iginla?!!!

I know! That was a heck of a thing to wake up to. Someone posted a picture of a Boston newspaper saying they got him, but I guess Shero slipped in at the last moment and spirited him away.

I haven't heard yet where we'll put Inginla, who will move down, etc. I don't play close attention, but I know our Baby Pens are not only very good, but have a lot of depth, so we can afford to trade these prospects away.

zeldabjr
03-28-2013, 09:28 AM
the trade was announced at 1:30AM!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Still trying to calm down after that hockey game against the Rangers! Our newest acquisition, Jussi Jokinen scored our only goal in regulation and was the only one to score in the shootout.

My Pens had won 15 in a row and then Zelda's Sabres creamed us followed by a shellacking by the Rangers earlier this week. So it was good to win tonight, even if they made it as stressful as possible!

Freypower
04-07-2013, 12:25 AM
I may as well mention that my beloved Sydney Roosters (Rugby League) won 50 - 0 last weekend. I did link to it on Facebook. I normally wouldn't bother mentioning it here but it's a great score so I'll throw it in.

Liverpool are playing their first ever Australian game in Melbourne in a few months time. I've done the 'going to Melbourne for an event' stuff. Sadly I won't be going. If it had been Sydney nothing could have kept me away.

zeldabjr
04-07-2013, 01:47 AM
WOW FP I don't know anything about rugby but 50-0 must have been a fun game!!!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-07-2013, 07:41 AM
I agree with Zelda, FP, 50-0 sounds incredible. To have both offense and defense doing that well in a game is rare, I would think. Though I can honestly say I don't know much at all about rugby.

Anyway, you should post here whenever you want. I love most sports and obviously, I could use an education on those I'm not familiar with!

Freypower
04-07-2013, 07:01 PM
I hate to do this but rugby league is different from rugby union which is what most people call 'rugby' (Troubadour is a rugby fan & will tell you). Union is played with 15 men & League with 13 men.

Good score yes but last night they were leading 16 - 0 at one stage & ended up losing 24 -22. Their opponents, Canberra Raiders, are another favourite team of mine & were due for a win so I can't be too upset. Unfortunately the Roosters now have to play the team I hate the most.

Freypower
04-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Australia's Adam Scott has become the first Australian to win the Masters!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/

I remember talking to HH's hubby about Scott at Niagara Falls not long after he had won some sort of title & we were saying what potential he had. He's 32. Some things take time. And fellow Australian Jason Day finished third.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Australia's Adam Scott has become the first Australian to win the Masters!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/

I remember talking to HH's hubby about Scott at Niagara Falls not long after he had won some sort of title & we were saying what potential he had. He's 32. Some things take time. And fellow Australian Jason Day finished third.

I thought of you when it fell into my Newsfeed, FP, and wondered if you followed golf!

Freypower
04-14-2013, 08:51 PM
I thought of you when it fell into my Newsfeed, FP, and wondered if you followed golf!

I don't really. I take a vague interest in it from time to time. It's just that I had to mention this because it's a big thing down here.

Glennsallnighter
04-16-2013, 09:09 AM
Of course its a big thing FP! To win the masters is no small acheivement.

Congratulations to Adam Scott and Australia

And I can totally understand you taking a 'vague interest' in golf from time to time. Like myself....... :wink:

zeldabjr
04-16-2013, 09:15 AM
very cool...Australia has some amazing athletes...and he's not bad lookin' either!

zeldabjr
04-19-2013, 09:56 PM
well my Sabres are officially eliminated from making the playoffs...not that we really deserve to be there....oh well...it's ok...I love them anyways!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-20-2013, 09:57 PM
Ah, Zelda, I feel bad now about being all excited that my Pens have locked up the top seed in the East with over a week still left in the season and names like Crosby, Neal, Martin, and Malkin not even on the active roster for the last week or more.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Yes!!! My Pens won the first game with a 5-0 shut out!! I'm so happy!! :) :partytime:

zeldabjr
05-01-2013, 10:53 PM
yeah...it actually got boring...I think it's gonna be a short series...

VAisForEagleLovers
05-01-2013, 10:54 PM
We can only hope! I was surprised how quiet the crowd was, I guess because we had such a lead.

A little worried about Neal and Jussi, though...

zeldabjr
05-12-2013, 01:32 AM
OK VA on to Round 2...the story continues...

VAisForEagleLovers
05-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Bring on Ottawa!! Martin and Orps really stepped it up last night, gotta love it when the defensemen score the tying and winning goals. I loved driving through the neighborhoods around my sister's house and seeing Pens flags in every yard. My sister had one and someone stole it. I had to make sure she knew it wasn't me!

Houston Baby
05-16-2013, 08:27 PM
VA - can you talk to YOUR baseball team and convince them to let the Astros win at least 1 game this weekend series? We need to get ahead of the Marlins as the worst team in MLB. I do NOT want that title! :x
Besides y'all have the hockey playoffs! ;-)

VAisForEagleLovers
05-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Oh, HB, I'm so sorry, but someone's gotta pay for the hurtin' the Brewers always put on us! We won last night after getting soundly beaten before that, and we're currently tied. The Brewers always have our number, it seems.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-17-2013, 10:47 PM
Tonight was a good night! For me, not so much for HB.

My Buccos had a come from behind win, 5-4. My Penguins took game two of the second round of playoffs from Ottawa, and the best hockey player in the world, Sidney Crosby, scored a hat trick (three goals). Lastly, Mike Milbury wasn't in the NBCSports studio and so I didn't have to listen to him.

:yay::yay:

ETA: Ooooh, I just watched the game winning run from the Astro/Pirate game. That's rough. An error to score the winning run.

Houston Baby
05-17-2013, 11:18 PM
:brickwall: OMG! How embarassing! Losing in the bottom of the ninth by our right fielder running into the 2nd baseman & dropping the ball! SERIOUSLY!?! I thought I was watching a replay of "Bad News Bears"

At least VA had a good night! Congrats on the hockey game! ;-) and the ball game.........

VAisForEagleLovers
05-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Yay! My Pens won the series against Ottawa! Now onto the Eastern Conference Championship (Stanley Cup Semi-finals) against Bruins/Rangers!

Houston Baby
05-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Ok Z & VA - it's a quiet Saturday night at home for me and I am going to watch HOCKEY!! The Astros are too depressing. I can figure out when a goal is scored and that is about it! Otherwise I am clueless! :???:

zeldabjr
05-25-2013, 08:53 PM
oh HB...that is too funny...you never know you might learn to love hockey...sorry your team isn't doing well...

come on VA...your Penguins better beat the Bruins...I hate them...

VAisForEagleLovers
05-25-2013, 10:11 PM
Yes, Z, the Bruins are far from my favorite team, that's for sure! They're still mad at us for stealing Iggy out from under their noses. Heck,they're still mad at us for changing our colors to Black and Gold from all the way back in the day!

HB, hockey is definitely a sport you need to watch for a while before the rules make sense and sometimes they never do! Sometimes the announcers are good at telling you things and other announcers just keep yapping like nothing happened. One thing they seldom talk about is shift changes. Since they skate full-out, they seldom stay on the ice for two minutes at a time. So they'll be talking about players and all the sudden they talk about different players and I've found that for those that don't realize they change people on the ice that frequently, it can be confusing. Sometimes a shift (or line) change is done in 40 seconds.

Grey Sadler
05-26-2013, 12:12 PM
...and the engines have started in Indianapolis!! :D

VAisForEagleLovers
05-26-2013, 12:22 PM
The real race is tonight, right? In Charlotte? NASCAR is where it's at!

Grey Sadler
05-26-2013, 04:17 PM
The real race is tonight, right? In Charlotte? NASCAR is where it's at!

Yep!! :thumbsup:
Very happy for Tony Kanaan for trying for twelve years to win Indy, but...I just don't know those guys in that field anymore (except for the guys from the mid-90s...and Marco Andretti...and Allmendinger was racing today too!! ;) )

EagleLady
06-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Sorry about Elliott Amy :hug: That boy has no luck

VAisForEagleLovers
06-01-2013, 08:18 PM
I'm so freaking excited!! After an 8-day break, we finally get to play hockey!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on, Pens!

Houston Baby
06-01-2013, 09:20 PM
I'm cheering for the Pens VA! I'm still not sure WHEN :headscratch: to cheer, but I am sending them positive thoughts! Hockey is exciting!!:saberfight:

Grey Sadler
06-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Sorry about Elliott Amy :hug: That boy has no luck

I know...:hug:
I'm fearing for this third chance at a championship, I know it's only June, but...

zeldabjr
06-02-2013, 05:30 PM
VA...what the heck?...come on Pens!!!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-02-2013, 11:52 PM
I know! It was awful! The Bucs were blanked on Friday, then again on Sat, and the Pens were scoreless on Sat. At least today the Bucs offense came alive, so I'm hoping the Pens follow suit.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-05-2013, 08:23 PM
I really don't think there's enough gin in the whole world to deal with this.

zeldabjr
06-05-2013, 09:25 PM
I really don't think there's enough gin in the whole world to deal with this.

oh VA...that's why it's best of seven...don't give up...I haven't...but you may want to switch to scotch...

Brooke
06-07-2013, 09:25 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Extras/Cardinalslogo.gif (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/desperado74/media/Extras/Cardinalslogo.gif.html)

Hee hee hee..........................................

VAisForEagleLovers
06-07-2013, 10:37 PM
I still love my Penguins, even if they did fall flat on their faces against the Bruins. Next year will be a better year. :cry: :cry:

zeldabjr
07-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Congratulations VA on Letang!...I'm sure you're relieved!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-06-2013, 09:47 PM
We re-signed Craig Adams and got Rob Scuderi (who made the big save in the final seconds in the Stanley Cup game 7 in 2009). Lost Iggy, though, to the Bruins. Not so happy about that.

MaryCalifornia
07-07-2013, 04:48 PM
I am going to use my 100th post to breathe a sigh of relief and shout out "THANK GOD ANDY MURRAY WON WIMBLEDON!!!!!". I am so happy.:cheers:

Troubadour
07-07-2013, 04:51 PM
We are ecstatic over here in Britain - what a match and what a special day for Andy and for all of us! He deserved it.

Congrats on 100 posts, MC! Nice way to mark it. ;)

MaryCalifornia
07-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Thank you! I wish I were there for the party!!! Enjoy! When I was growing up Lendl was my favorite player (yes, I'm the only one) and now he's my favorite coach!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-07-2013, 05:11 PM
It was a great match, but I didn't get to watch much of it as I was busily getting ready to get the house clean after the family visit.

Troubadour
07-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Thank you! I wish I were there for the party!!! Enjoy! When I was growing up Lendl was my favorite player (yes, I'm the only one) and now he's my favorite coach!

He doesn't show much in the way of emotion but you can tell how passionate and driven he is. I liked that Andy thanked him personally in his courtside speech. It was really emotional. Such an amazing day!

I must say that Novak Djokovic was so gracious, too. They always call him a class act, and he really is.

Glennsallnighter
07-07-2013, 07:52 PM
CONGRATULATIONS ANDY MURRAY

I'm delighted to see that after nearly 80 years dearth Wimbledon has managed to produce a home grown champion. It was a superb game and in a way the score does not reflect how hard Novak Djokovic played. He fought for every point down to the wire. A classic final.

glenneaglesfan
07-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Yaaayyy!!!

What a breathtaking match!!

Congratulations to Andy for a superb performance against the world number 1. Both players pulled everything out of the bag. One of the best finals ever!!!!

Freypower
07-24-2013, 06:56 PM
Liverpool beat Melbourne Victory 2 - 0 before nearly 96000 fans at the Melbourne Cricket Ground last night. It featured this magnificent, spine tingling rendition of the club anthem You'll Never Walk Alone. No other club in the world, in my view, has anything like this. I was so proud & even prouder when the first goal was scored by legendary captain Steven Gerrard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDCiNGYfhPY

VAisForEagleLovers
07-29-2013, 07:46 PM
OK, Brooke, it's gonna be a long five days for one of us. I'm hoping you!

Let's go Bucs!!!

Brooke
07-30-2013, 10:06 AM
OK, Brooke, it's gonna be a long five days for one of us. I'm hoping you!

Let's go Bucs!!!

Geez! You all spanked us last night! We had to turn it off! :yuck:

Cardinals, get with it! They've been in a bit of a slump lately! This week is not the time for that! :fingerwag:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-31-2013, 09:43 PM
Geez! You all spanked us last night! We had to turn it off! :yuck:

Cardinals, get with it! They've been in a bit of a slump lately! This week is not the time for that! :fingerwag:

It's a close one so far tonight!!

Freypower
09-06-2013, 05:56 PM
I'm pretty happy this morning as the Sydney Roosters won the minor premiership last night against bitter rivals South Sydney (Souths would have won it if they'd won the game). In Europe this would be it; the Roosters would be champions, but we now have the American style playoff series.

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2013/09/06/1226713/616183-roosters.jpg

The coach, Trent Robinson (on the left) has done a remarkable job in his first season as a head coach.

(I won't be so happy tomorrow after the federal election, but I won't bore you with that).

thelastresort
09-06-2013, 06:25 PM
(I won't be so happy tomorrow after the federal election, but I won't bore you with that).

Sorry to go off topic, but what's the likely outcome: Rudd or Abbott?

thelastresort
09-06-2013, 06:34 PM
I should probably add I'm quite into sport, huge football fan (proper football, not the egg-chasing stuff Americans or Australians do :wink:) and quite into tennis and badminton. Generally speaking though I'll watch anything.

Being a fan of the most successful football team of all time it does humour me to see the minions from other sports team celebrating cup wins :razz: Been there, done that so often it's rather boring now :wink: </modesty>

Freypower
09-06-2013, 06:45 PM
Sorry to go off topic, but what's the likely outcome: Rudd or Abbott?

Abbott by a landslide.

Freypower
09-06-2013, 06:46 PM
I should probably add I'm quite into sport, huge football fan (proper football, not the egg-chasing stuff Americans or Australians do :wink:) and quite into tennis and badminton. Generally speaking though I'll watch anything.

Being a fan of the most successful football team of all time it does humour me to see the minions from other sports team celebrating cup wins :razz: Been there, done that so often it's rather boring now :wink: </modesty>

I support Liverpool (see signature) but it has been a while since they won anything. My memories of 2005 will never die, but I have followed Rugby League since 1974 when I was 14 & it means something to me.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-08-2013, 11:09 PM
HaHa, 'egg chasing stuff'!!

Brooke, I was thinking of you a lot this weekend. You probably don't want to know the exact thoughts... :D

Houston Baby
09-10-2013, 07:19 PM
VA - I see that your Pirates just clinched their first winning season since 1992. I did not realize that it had been that long. You are definitely a devoted fan, thru thick & thin. Enjoy this accomplishment! :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
09-10-2013, 07:23 PM
VA - I see that your Pirates just clinched their first winning season since 1992. I did not realize that it had been that long. You are definitely a devoted fan, thru thick & thin. Enjoy this accomplishment! :thumbsup:

Yes! Happy happy happy!! My Buccos have a winning season!! I've been smiling all day about it. Now...on to winning the pennant!

zeldabjr
09-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Congratulations VA!!!...I can only imagine how excited you are!!!

Glennsallnighter
09-23-2013, 06:24 PM
That's Brilliant VA!!

DUBLIN

are the All Ireland Football Champions, having beaten Mayo by a single point to regain the title they won in 2011 but lost last year.
Means probably very little to the world but to put it into perspective it is about equivalent over here to the Superbowl in the USA or the FA cup in England.
They had their 'homecoming' tonight in the City Centre where we were 3 of the 50,000 + people who turned out to see and congratulate the team. And true to a time honoured tradition the team requested that all the kids in the City and county be let off homework tomorrow night....

Freypower
09-23-2013, 06:46 PM
Congratulations to them!

Houston Baby
09-23-2013, 07:08 PM
CONGRATULATIONS GA!!! CONGRATULATIONS DUBLIN!!

I can tell you are excited with those pretty colors GA! :thumbsup:

thelastresort
09-23-2013, 07:52 PM
That's Brilliant VA!!

DUBLIN

are the All Ireland Football Champions, having beaten Mayo by a single point to regain the title they won in 2011 but lost last year.
Means probably very little to the world but to put it into perspective it is about equivalent over here to the Superbowl in the USA or the FA cup in England.
They had their 'homecoming' tonight in the City Centre where we were 3 of the 50,000 + people who turned out to see and congratulate the team. And true to a time honoured tradition the team requested that all the kids in the City and county be let off homework tomorrow night....

I was in Co. Tyrone the same week they played Mayo in the semi-final - but I got the impression that not that many people cared about it - I didn't see many out in team colours and the newspapers didn't mention anything - I presume the Republic takes it a lot more seriously? I did a bit of a tour of the Republic back in July and I saw hundreds of people in GAA shirts. It does seem to be bigger than football (association rules football, or soccer if you must) in the South.

Also, how does that scoring work? I presume one is rugby-like goals and the other is football-like goals?

Glennsallnighter
09-24-2013, 03:13 AM
Without getting into a political discussion, the Nationalist community in Northern Ireland would take it a lot more seriously than the unionist community. Tyrone would probably be the best team out of NI in recent years.

It's taken very seriously in the Republic. Tickets for last Sundays game were virtually unobtainable with some selling for up to €3000 on eBay the days beforehand.

As for scoring. You get a point if you put the ball over the goal crossbar, and a goal if it goes into the goal. A goal is worth 3 points. Kids who can barely do maths can very easily convert goals to points! Lol

HB! The colours are the nearest to the Dublin county colours of navy and sky blue

Houston Baby
09-24-2013, 09:35 AM
Well they are very pretty GA!

CONGRATULATIONS VA!!! I got this headline from MLB this morning......

The Bucs' playoff drought stops here (http://link.mlblists.com/r/D23ZNS/GEBWBF/QPD9FR/SY2FVX/KS864Y/CK/h?a1=7609858&a2=603974743)

:yay::yay::yay:

Brooke
09-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Cards eliminated the Nats last night! :yay:

Keep up the good work guys! :blueblob:

VAisForEagleLovers
09-24-2013, 06:47 PM
:yay: I was in a great mood all day!! I think I mentioned it to everyone I talked to. My Buccos are in the playoffs!!! WooHoo! Twenty losing seasons in a row and now playoffs! Can you tell I'm a happy fan?! :yay:

I have to thank the Cards, Brooke, for bumping off the Nats last night to help us secure our spot sooner. Now...our eye is on the division lead...

prayfordaylight
09-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Congrats to the Pirates - a long time coming and well deserved! Also glad the Nats are out so I can stop hearing about them incessantly here.

Freypower
09-28-2013, 06:12 PM
The Sydney Roostersare into the Grand Final after beating Newcastle (the team from my old home town)40-16. They will play Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles, the team from the northern beaches. Considering we beat them 4-0 in a semi-final, we know how to beat them. It will be a very tough game. :yay:

*NB: I started following Rugby League in 1974 before I became an Eagles fan & once that happened I could hardly start following Manly, a team I hated for years, just because of their nickname. I don't hate Manly these days, but many fans still do.

Also the Roosters' colours are red, white & blue but I know that some people have white text depending on which theme they used so I just used red & blue.

There were a couple of good results in the English Premier League last night too. Both Manchester teams lost. (Liverpool play tonight). :yay:

VAisForEagleLovers
09-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Congrats, FP!!

My Buccos have earned the home field advantage for the playoff game. One game, Tuesday night. I'm already freakishly nervous and wanting to pace.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-29-2013, 07:17 PM
My sports addictions can be summed up with a few emoticons...

Penguins: :pray: :blueblob:

Pirates: :yay: :partytime: :applause:

Steelers: :cry: :weep: :brickwall: :confused:

Freypower
09-29-2013, 08:33 PM
I like that idea.

Sydney Roosters: :yay: :partytime: but there is also :worried: and :nervous: and :pray:because it is going to be a very long week.

Liverpool beat Sunderland 3 -1 so :cheers: but :cuss: at their inconsistency.

Houston Baby
09-29-2013, 08:54 PM
I like this too!

ASTROS - :censored::headshake::help:

TEXANS - :thumbsdown::cuss::stunned: :brickwall:

ROCKETS - :blueblob::pray::heart:

Freypower
09-29-2013, 09:08 PM
And you can do it for teams you DON'T like:

Manchester United: :laugh: :rofl: :mrgreen: :twisted:

at their current predicament. I can see some emoticons which will work when they inevitably turn it around & start winning everything like they always do, but for now...:nope: to them.

(What have you started, VA)?!

VAisForEagleLovers
09-30-2013, 07:07 AM
I wanted to vent about the Steelers being 0-4 and that I'm just glad hockey starts this week and of course my Bucco's being the playoff after 20 losing seasons. Then I realize most of my thoughts regarding the Steelers' situation couldn't be written here. :censored:

Brooke
09-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Fp, good luck to your Roosters!

I'm not really in to any sports besides St. Louis Cardinals baseball, which has a pretty amazing history! They've won 11 World Series Championships, second only to the Yankees! They've made it to the post season 11 times in the past 18 seasons! What a ride!

So hats off to my Cards for having the best record in the National League this year and clinching the NL Central Division title! We love ya! :grouphug:

GO CARDS! :partytime: :blueblob:

Houston Baby
09-30-2013, 12:22 PM
You really know how to hurt a person Brooke OR at least hurt an Astros fan. :lol:

I remember when we(the 'stros) were moved to the AL West, that was my only solace in the fact that we would NOT have to face the Cards all the time. OR Albert Pujols and then what happens he signs with the Angels!:brickwall:

09-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Well I think the most appropriate emoticon for me to use for my favorite team is :pray:

My Miami Dolphins are 3 - 0 and I'm :pray: that they are the real deal this year and not just lucky. They have a tough game against New Orleans tonight, so we'll have to see how it goes ...

GO MIAMI DOLPHINS!!!

Brooke
09-30-2013, 02:31 PM
You really know how to hurt a person Brooke OR at least hurt an Astros fan. :lol:

I remember when we(the 'stros) were moved to the AL West, that was my only solace in the fact that we would NOT have to face the Cards all the time. OR Albert Pujols and then what happens he signs with the Angels!:brickwall:

Oh man, I remember all those games with the 'stros! I hated playing them so much! It was nearly always a battle!

Oh, and Albert who? :lol:

10-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Well, all I can say is OUCH! Too bad we don't have an emoticon for that. So, I'll have to go with ...

:nausea: :yuck:

... and I'm just :pray: that my Dolphins will bounce back next week!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Well, all I can say is OUCH! Too bad we don't have an emoticon for that. So, I'll have to go with ...

:nausea: :yuck:

... and I'm just :pray: that my Dolphins will bounce back next week!

Mr. Brees did kind of have things go his way last night, didn't he?

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Seriously. My Buccos are in the post season. Watching the game now and there are actually tears in my eyes.

ETA: We won!!! :yay: :yay: OK, Brooke!!! Bring it!

Houston Baby
10-02-2013, 09:58 AM
OK VA & Brooke ~ I want a great series from y'alls 2 teams! I have been sorely missing baseball this year with the "too terrible to watch" Astros!

Good luck to both of you! I want a fair fight - no name calling, no hair pulling and no spells cast on the opposing team!!

And remember - There's NO crying in baseball!!!

Brooke
10-02-2013, 02:26 PM
OK VA & Brooke ~ I want a great series from y'alls 2 teams! I have been sorely missing baseball this year with the "too terrible to watch" Astros!

Good luck to both of you! I want a fair fight - no name calling, no hair pulling and no spells cast on the opposing team!!

And remember - There's NO crying in baseball!!!

HB, thank you for your interest! I'm sure hoping my Cards give those Pirates all they can handle and more! I won't cry...........as long as we win! :lol:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Extras/Cards_zpse11b9431.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/desperado74/media/Extras/Cards_zpse11b9431.jpg.html)

GO CARDINALS!:blueblob:

VAisForEagleLovers
10-03-2013, 07:58 PM
HaHa, Brooke! OK, I gots ta give ya tonight's game. Good grief. Don't know what they were thinking when not warming up the bullpen sooner. Burnett's ERA as a Pirate in Busch Stadium: 15.50... AJ Burnett's ERA as a Pirate outside of Busch Stadium: 2.98 after tonight. That's OK, we'll come back kicking and screaming tomorrow afternoon.

On the plus side, my Pens are winning 2-0 at the 1st intermission!

Brooke
10-04-2013, 09:57 AM
VA, I know! What were they thinking? I've been in the same boat just recently with Matheny, so I know how you feel! We definitely started out 'Wright though! (Wainwright was awesome!)

Good luck today, Cardinals!

Freypower
10-04-2013, 06:19 PM
I don't know if I will make it here tomorrow, & the game doesn't start until 7.15 pm. So I will just say GO ROOSTERS!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-04-2013, 07:10 PM
FP, I hope your Roosters win!

Brooke, today was a much better day. For me. :D

Freypower
10-06-2013, 09:01 PM
WOW!!!! 26-18.

I thought they were gone when Manly were awarded a penalty try, which means that the referee thought they were certain to score if a Roosters player hadn't tackled a Manly player without the ball. They then scored again & were leading 18-8. Somehow, the boys dug deep & fought their way back and I am very proud of them.

http://www.nrl.com/Portals/NRL/images/34/34919_36_1.jpg

All Grand Finals with the Roosters should be played on my daughter's birthday. In 2002, their last victory, it was her 4th birthday. Yesterday was her 15th birthday! :headbang: :faint::rockon:

(The signature has purple in it but that can't be helped; I was always going to use it if we won). :cheers:

sad-cafe
10-06-2013, 10:35 PM
My Chiefs are 5-0

first time in a decade!

Brooke
10-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Brooke, today was a much better day. For me. :D

Well, there's lots of crying going on here after 2 horrible Cards performances! Today it's do or die! :pray:

GO CARDS!

Brooke
10-10-2013, 01:40 PM
VA, your Pirates gave us a good run. I can't say much for the fans on tv, but the players were a class act!

I'm so proud of my Cardinals! 3rd straight NLCS title! Way to go guys and hats off to my hero, Adam Wainwright! What a game for him! Nothing short of awesome!

Next up, the codgers! :wink:

prayfordaylight
10-11-2013, 09:14 AM
My football team is 0-6. My hockey team has lost their last 2 games 9-2 and 6-0. And one of my basketball teams fired their coach yesterday.

You can have your sports :P

Rooting for the Cards and Tigers though because the Sox and Dodgers are my least favorite MLB teams.

Brooke
10-11-2013, 09:56 AM
My football team is 0-6. My hockey team has lost their last 2 games 9-2 and 6-0. And one of my basketball teams fired their coach yesterday.

You can have your sports :P

Rooting for the Cards and Tigers though because the Sox and Dodgers are my least favorite MLB teams.

pfd, sorry your teams aren't doing well. Bummer!

And it's great to have another Cardinal fan on board! I'm usually alone!

Tonight the Cards begin the NL championship:

GO CARDS! :blueblob:

sad-cafe
10-11-2013, 02:27 PM
My Royals barely missed the playoffs. They had a great season for the first time in a long time.

My Chiefs could be 6-0 Sunday. I am so happy

Glennsallnighter
10-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Ireland are out of the football World Cup in Brazil next year. Beaten 3-0 by Germany who progress as winners of our group.

Freypower
10-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Ireland are out of the football World Cup in Brazil next year. Beaten 3-0 by Germany who progress as winners of our group.

I sympathise. Australia already qualified (barely)but after 2 disastrous friendlies, 6-0 to Brazil & then 6-0 to France, the manager (referred to as 'coach' here) was sacked (er,fired). When we get there we will be lucky to score a goal. We have too many aging players. I notice that in South America, Colombia have qualified for the first time since 1998. I remember 1998 fondly. Getting up to watch France beat Brazil 3-0 I think it was, while I was about 7 months pregnant!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-15-2013, 09:50 PM
VA, your Pirates gave us a good run. I can't say much for the fans on tv, but the players were a class act!

Actually, I'm quite proud of my Buccos! After twenty losing seasons and such HORRID management for so long, I figured I'd never see another playoff appearance. Everyone here knows how I love my Steelers and Pens (or if they don't they'll learn! :wink: ) but my Pirates were my first love, and I took them for granted. It was so special to me to know my nephews went to one of the playoff games and have a much better appreciation for baseball than they did before.

Speaking of Steelers and Pens, my Steelers finally won one this past weekend, that was nice to see. My Pens are 5-1 to start their season. We play the hated Flyers on Thursday night...

PDF, I haven't watched any of the Giants games. What on earth is wrong? They're a much better team than 0-6. And maybe Mr. Dolan should stay at home and whip the Rangers into shape instead of opening for some band out on the road?

Brooke
10-16-2013, 09:19 AM
One more win and we're in the World Series! :yay:

GO CARDINALS! :blueblob:

thelastresort
10-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Turns out one of my flatmates is an Arizona Cardinals fan - is this the same 'Cards' everyone on here's talking about? Apparently one of his old mates is a Cincinnati Bengals fan too. He was getting quite annoyed on Sunday because apparently the Cardinals lost or something, or were losing.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-16-2013, 07:54 PM
Turns out one of my flatmates is an Arizona Cardinals fan - is this the same 'Cards' everyone on here's talking about? Apparently one of his old mates is a Cincinnati Bengals fan too. He was getting quite annoyed on Sunday because apparently the Cardinals lost or something, or were losing.

TLR, the Cards we speak of here is a baseball team in St. Louis. The Arizona Cardinals is a football team (NFL). The Arizona Cardinals used to be in St. Louis, too, but they moved.

Brooke
10-18-2013, 11:52 PM
I know there's more important things going on around here, but.....

THAT'S A WINNER!!!!! (to quote Jack Buck)

The Cardinals just made it to the World Series!!!!!

National League Champions!!!!!

:yay: :yay: :yay: Happy, happy, happy!!!!!

Houston Baby
10-18-2013, 11:58 PM
CONGRATULATIONS BROOKE & Cards!! Well done!:thumbsup:

zeldabjr
10-19-2013, 12:28 AM
Congratulations Cardinals!!! on being National League Champions!!!

so happy for you Brooke...now one more river to cross!!!

10-19-2013, 12:31 AM
Congrats to the St. Louis Cardinals and good luck in the World Series!!!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Congrats, Brooke!!! Enjoy it this year cuz next year it'll be my Pirates!

NYC Fan
10-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Brooke-

Good luck to your Cards! I will certainly be rooting for them if they play the Red Sox (although to be fair, I'd root for Satan's team against the Red Sox) ;-)

I have a great memory of being in St. Louis for a Springsteen show and riding the MetroLink past the Stadium before a game. A group of nuns got on wearing their Cardinals shirts over their habits. It was so hilarious and sweet. You've got some devoted fans out there!

Brooke
10-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Yes we do NYC! Too funny about the nuns in Cards shirts! lol

Yep, it's an exciting time to be a Cardinals fan! And what a game last night...9-0! Awesome!

Bring it on! :partytime:

Thanks for the wishes everyone!

thelastresort
10-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Over on the east side of the Pond, Rangers won 3-4 against Brechin, that'll do me. 100% win record maintained. :blueblob:

Freypower
10-19-2013, 10:49 PM
Over on the east side of the Pond, Rangers won 3-4 against Brechin, that'll do me. 100% win record maintained. :blueblob:

You support Rangers? I support Celtic. :pimp: Oops. I'm not really that strong on them so don't worry.

My team & my husband's team had a 2-2 draw; that is Liverpool & Newcastle, of course.

ktdids
10-19-2013, 11:49 PM
So much for the Detroit Tigers getting to the World Series at this point. I can just imagine Glenn using his favorite word starting with Mother.

Prettymaid
10-20-2013, 04:49 PM
So much for the Detroit Tigers getting to the World Series at this point. I can just imagine Glenn using his favorite word starting with Mother.

Lol!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-20-2013, 08:02 PM
WooHoo!!! Great weekend! The Pens beat the hated Flyers on Thursday, and today my Steelers beat the hated Ravens!! The Pens beat the Canucks yesterday as well, and of course saw a great band Friday night. Speaking of Indy, this Broncos/Colts game that's getting ready to start should be a great game. Irsay is about to find out he's an idiot, though.

sad-cafe
10-21-2013, 09:28 PM
My Chiefs are the only undefeated NFL team left!

we need it because last year we were 2-14

No bandwagon fan here. I am Chiefs through and through. It is about time we have a great start!

Brooke
10-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Thought I'd better bust out the Rally Squirrel for tonight's big game!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Extras/RallySquirrel2011.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/desperado74/media/Extras/RallySquirrel2011.jpg.html)

GO CARDINALS!
Let's DO this guys! :blueblob:

Molly
10-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Thought I'd better bust out the Rally Squirrel for tonight's big game!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Extras/RallySquirrel2011.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/desperado74/media/Extras/RallySquirrel2011.jpg.html)

GO CARDINALS!
Let's DO this guys! :blueblob:

I'm going to have to bite my tongue a lot on our trip to St. Louis this week. Grrrrr....Cardinals! My hubby's family is such a big baseball family, as well I know they'll remind me often how there team is in the Series and mine has been enjoying their off season for weeks now.

And there we'll be -downtown SL in my Brewer's blue car with my Brewer's personalized license plates and my Brewer's logo in the window next to my Brewer's teddy bear in the backseat. Guess I'll be easy to spot in that sea of red.

Brooke
10-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Lol Molly! I'll watch for you!

Brooke
10-31-2013, 09:46 AM
Sad day for Cardinals fans. We had multiple opportunities, but just couldn't get it together when it counted. :sad:

But, they're still an awesome team and am looking forward to another great year next year! I'm thinking a few changes will occur over the off season......

Houston Baby
10-31-2013, 10:25 AM
I thought about you last night Brooke while watching the game. I know the Cards will definitely be back in the postseason!

Considering what happened in Boston this year, I think their city needed this.

Brooke
10-31-2013, 11:07 AM
Thanks HB.

Yes, it was therapeutic for Boston. In that way, I'm happy for them.

Congrats, Red Sox! Very well played!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-31-2013, 08:30 PM
I thought of you when I heard about it, Brooke. The Pens were too busy beating the Boston Bruins for me to tune in. Hoping the Steelers beat the Patriots on Sunday, too!

Freypower
10-31-2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks HB.

Yes, it was therapeutic for Boston. In that way, I'm happy for them.

Congrats, Red Sox! Very well played!

I feel for you but I just realised I have to congratulate the Red Sox' owner John W. Henry, who is also the owner of Liverpool FC. Can the Sox success be repeated by the Reds?!

Brooke
11-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Va & Fp, thank you. We still can't quite believe it's over.....

Good luck to you teams!

Houston Baby
11-01-2013, 03:26 PM
I am always a little sad when baseball season ends. Unfortunately the Astros season ended a loooong time ago. I think about May! :laugh:

And our football season is not looking too good right now. I am keeping my fingers crossed that NBC Sunday Night Football this weekend will turn the Texans luck around.

I am going to the Rockets (NBA) game tonight. We play Dallas!
Let's GO ROCKETS!!!

zeldabjr
11-01-2013, 05:50 PM
so sorry your team didn't win Brooke...I was rooting for them!

Brooke
11-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Thank you Zelda!

11-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Brooke - I'm sorry for you about your Cardinals. However, I have to admit I was pulling for the Red Sox this year. I'm very happy for this city of Boston - the Red Sox winning the World Series couldn't have come at a better time for them to prove that they are 'Boston Strong'.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-24-2013, 05:14 PM
My Steelers have won three in a row and today we beat the Mistake-By-The-Lake Brownies (aka Pumpkin Heads)! #43 had a great day, maybe I should have made him my Facebook profile pic before this morning! Almost makes me forget about the Pens idiotic loss to the Habs last night.

sad-cafe
11-24-2013, 05:20 PM
My Chiefs are in a tough battle with the Chargers. Up by 4 with 1.00 to go

VAisForEagleLovers
11-24-2013, 05:21 PM
My Chiefs are in a tough battle with the Chargers. Up by 4 with 1.00 to go

I see that. I'm obviously bad luck for the Chargers, lucky for you!

VAisForEagleLovers
11-24-2013, 05:26 PM
I see that. I'm obviously bad luck for the Chargers, lucky for you!

Or not...

sad-cafe
11-24-2013, 05:28 PM
well crap:brickwall:

sad-cafe
11-24-2013, 05:36 PM
:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::-(:brickwall::-(

sad-cafe
11-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Here is hoping for a NE win over Denver tonight!

zeldabjr
11-24-2013, 09:55 PM
no...no...SC!!!

sad-cafe
11-25-2013, 12:07 AM
Oh yes. Denver has to lose, that way Chiefs did not lose any ground by peeing their game away.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-25-2013, 12:14 AM
Oh yes. Denver has to lose, that way Chiefs did not lose any ground by peeing their game away.

They're doing a good of it (losing) this second half! I can't believe this game!

zeldabjr
11-25-2013, 12:19 AM
They're doing a good of it (losing) this second half! I can't believe this game!

you can never count Tom Brady out...crazy game

VAisForEagleLovers
12-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Stupid STUPID Steelers! They drive me CRAZY! :weep:

sad-cafe
12-08-2013, 07:01 PM
was rooting for a Steelers win! 1/2 step. Wow

VAisForEagleLovers
12-08-2013, 07:23 PM
I think Ben's 'lateral' to Brown would have been ruled a forward pass on a review anyway, but maybe not. So frustrating! I sat here and watched it with a Dolphins fan, which made it more frustrating!

12-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Stupid STUPID Steelers! They drive me CRAZY! :weep:

Sorry VA. :lie: But, you know, I love my Dolphins!!!! :applause:

And I'm sure that Dolphins fan didn't gloat - we don't do that. :lie:

VAisForEagleLovers
12-15-2013, 12:20 AM
All the 'talking heads' have determined that Ben's lateral really was a lateral, so Brown stepping out of bounds cost us the game. Bummer, but my Pens won two in a row this weekend!! We held off the Devils last night and stomped all over the team I love to hate, the Red Wings, tonight! Now bring on the Maple Leafs!

VAisForEagleLovers
12-16-2013, 12:45 AM
WooHoo!!! Great win by my Steelers tonight!! I'm happy!

zeldabjr
12-16-2013, 09:44 PM
well I have to tell you VA...these Penguins games aren't as fun when Letang isn't in the lineup!!!...what happened to him?

VAisForEagleLovers
12-16-2013, 10:14 PM
well I have to tell you VA...these Penguins games aren't as fun when Letang isn't in the lineup!!!...what happened to him?

I was just wondering that myself! I missed most of the first period and he played Saturday! I feel like it's the Baby Pens playing (Wilkes-Barre / Scranton) instead of the real guys!

ETA: Pens Report says he's on IR and won't be back until after Christmas. Doesn't say why.

zeldabjr
12-16-2013, 10:30 PM
I think maybe he needs a nurse!!

VAisForEagleLovers
12-16-2013, 10:44 PM
I volunteer! He's lucky I'm not 30 years younger, is all I can say!

They're saying upper body injury.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-07-2014, 08:09 PM
OK, so the guy Z and I were talking about a few posts above this, Kris LeTang? They announced today that he had a STROKE!!! I'm in shock. They say it was a small one, and treatable with blood thinners, so not career ending. Still, to be so young and in such great shape and have a stroke... I guess they found he has a small hole in his heart, has had it since birth, and it may have contributed to the stroke.

Freypower
02-09-2014, 06:02 PM
I don't post about Liverpool FC here often (I tend to do that on Facebook) but two out of their last three results have been outstanding. First they beat local rivals Everton 4-0 & then the other night league leaders Arsenal 5-1. They are fourth in the table & in line for a Champions League spot. I think winning the title itself isn't really realistic but it's a credit to manager Brendan Rogers that they are once again a force to be reckoned with.

And it would be even sweeter next season for them to be in the Champions League with NO Manchester United. :rofl::sword:

(the second smiley I imagine as putting a red devil to the sword).:machinegun:

VAisForEagleLovers
02-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Good for Liverpool, FP! Glad your team is doing well for you.

Houston Baby
02-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Way to go Liverpool! I'm sure you are enjoying this FP!:yay:

VAisForEagleLovers
02-12-2014, 09:49 PM
HB, I'm watching Pitt vs. undefeated Syracuse. I know I'm biased because I prefer college basketball over pro, but I swear this is a better played game than the Cavs vs. Lakers that we saw in person.

I checked out Pacers vs. Heat for the end of March and an end-court seat in row 1A was like $1200 each. Maybe I'll check out Celtics tickets instead, except I'd cheer for the Celtics and that might get me killed!

Houston Baby
02-12-2014, 11:45 PM
Dang, $1200! Sure glad the Lakers' tickets didn't cost that much. Of course the Lakers stink this season so I think that is why I got such a deal. Sorry Lakers fans!
Which ever game you go to I know you will enjoy it. Like me you love sports!

ktdids
03-28-2014, 07:54 PM
I know the baseball season started with those two games in Australia just this past week, but it starts up on Monday for my Mets! Oh, it's a gonna be a long season for my team!

Houston Baby
03-28-2014, 09:43 PM
ktdids - one of our Houston sportswriters, Richard Justice said today that there are 5 teams that might surprise everybody this year and the Mets were one of them. So you never know! :thumbsup:

ktdids
03-28-2014, 10:08 PM
Thanks for that HB! I've been hoping for at least a .500 season for the last few years, and that's what I'm doing this year as well! At least there's youth on their side, if nothing else!

VAisForEagleLovers
03-29-2014, 10:00 AM
My Pirates are under a lot of pressure to improve on last year. I hope they are up to the task!! I have a lot of friends here who are Cubs fans and they're already giving me grief, that's who we open up against on Monday. Not sure about Pittsburgh, but it's supposed to be a beautiful day here. I wish I could watch the game, but it's 1:05 and I have to work.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-31-2014, 07:29 AM
Finally!! It's Opening Day! I thought it would never get here. I'm a fan of baseball, of course, but for me it's always been a sign that spring is finally here as well!

ktdids
03-31-2014, 09:33 AM
Finally!! It's Opening Day! I thought it would never get here. I'm a fan of baseball, of course, but for me it's always been a sign that spring is finally here as well!

Amen to that VA! Now if it would only stop raining so that it gets started at Citifield, even though I won't be there for it!

Brooke
03-31-2014, 02:19 PM
Yes, finally! Got your red on?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/23_Busch_Stadium_Interior_zpsc0262786.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/desperado74/media/23_Busch_Stadium_Interior_zpsc0262786.jpg.html)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Extras/Cardinalslogo.gif (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/desperado74/media/Extras/Cardinalslogo.gif.html)

PLAY BALL!

Freypower
03-31-2014, 05:59 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/s403x403/1503354_296435103845687_1437332539_n.png

They are running a hashtag called #MakeUsDream. I don't know if they can do it. It's possible.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-31-2014, 06:05 PM
Hey, FP, my Pirates had a winning record and went to the playoffs last year after 20 losing seasons. I say that in sports, anything is possible.

Brooke...I wore my Black and Gold today..

Freypower
03-31-2014, 07:12 PM
There are no playoffs in the Premier League though, unlike both American & Australian sports. If you finish on top of the table you win the title. The knockout competition is the FA Cup & Liverpool are out of that.

Good luck to all your baseball teams!

Brooke
04-01-2014, 11:53 AM
Hey, FP, my Pirates had a winning record and went to the playoffs last year after 20 losing seasons. I say that in sports, anything is possible.

Brooke...I wore my Black and Gold today..

I thought of you VA! Figures! :lol:

Oh, and my Cards started off with a win! :applause:

Houston Baby
04-02-2014, 08:13 AM
Woo Hoo!! The Astros have a winning season! :hilarious:
They beat the Yankees 6 - 2 yesterday!
Do you believe in miracles?

Houston Baby
04-03-2014, 09:11 AM
VA ~ Did you watch the whole Bucs/Cubs ballgame last night? I saw this was Pittsburgh's longest game in history. I LOVE walk off wins!!:yay:

VAisForEagleLovers
04-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Heck no! I went to bed when the Cubs scored in the 12th or whenever it was, and I was barely keeping my eyes open! Then, at exactly 4:15, there was the loudest clap of thunder I've heard. I woke just minutes before that and I really thought I was going to jump out of my skin! Since I was wide awake at that point (works better than coffee), I got up and checked the score. Imagine my surprise when I saw how and when it ended!! Shame we lost today, though...

Getting ready to watch the Pens now, but my satellite signal keeps disappearing.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-23-2014, 12:38 PM
For those who may be curious about how the Dolan/Jackson situation is going with the Knicks, since our very own Glenn was involved in the deal...it's not going well.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/new-york-knicks-james-dolan-phil-jackson-staff-firings-042314