PDA

View Full Version : Reissued Eagle albums

Shadowland07
05-14-2010, 03:56 PM
I was reading in my Rolling Stone magazine today that the Rolling Stones are releasing a reissued version of their album Exile on Main St. and it's gonna have outtakes and what nots, and a documentary about the making of the album.

What if the Eagles did that? With every album that was reissued, outtakes or maybe a live concert from the tour that supported that album was included. And a documentary, featuring ex members (if possible).

I would go for it and buy it. What do you guys think?

sodascouts
05-14-2010, 04:04 PM
I would buy it FOR SURE. That would be too awesome for words.

I remember when DVD-As were the trend, they released one of Hotel California and the sound on that is amazing.

Freypower
05-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Don Henley is on record as saying there are NO OUTTAKES. He is utterly adamant about it. He says that anything that wasn't good enough to be released was scrapped. How interesting then that they found the 'Random Victims' stuff for the Selected Works Box Set.

The Eagles are just not the sort of band to do this stuff. Their output is limited enough as it is.

We still haven't even got a DVD of the LROOE tour, so the chances of six documentaries on all the albums featuring the former members..... it's overkill for a start. If one day some sort of official history of the band was released on DVD covering the entire period that would be nice but I am not holding my breath.

sodascouts
05-14-2010, 06:30 PM
I think this was more of a fantasy idea than a realistic expectation, FP. I'm well aware the odds are next to nil that such a package would be released.

Still, perhaps some aspect of it will come true eventually, once the guys are done touring and would like to add to their coffers through things like re-masters. If you can get folks to buy a second copy of the same album by fiddling around with it a bit and re-releasing it as "improved high fidelity sound" - maybe throw in some extra photos in the booklet - it's a pretty sweet deal for the guys. Heck, they already made a foray into that with the Hotel California DVD-A I mentioned above.

As for a DVD from the LROOE tour, it doesn't look good for one at this point, but you never know. It would be a money-maker, I think, and that's always an excellent motivator, so perhaps we'll eventually get one.

Scarlet Sun
05-14-2010, 06:41 PM
I still wonder if more Glyn Johns-produced On The Border stuff exists. They were in England for what, 6 weeks?

Freypower
05-14-2010, 06:45 PM
If Henley insists there are no outtakes I'm afraid I tend to believe him. They scrapped Glyn Johns' work apart from two songs.

sodascouts
05-14-2010, 06:53 PM
In his book, Felder writes that there were several songs intended for an album in 2000 which were shelved when he was fired. Wonder if they're still around?

AzEaglesFan
05-14-2010, 06:53 PM
I did read "somewhere" that they were hoping to put together a LROOE DVD for Christmas. I think it was just wishful thinking but you never know.

sodascouts
05-14-2010, 06:57 PM
AEF, it's OK for you to say what your source is. Heck, you can even link to it! We're all Eagles fans, after all. :)

Scarlet Sun
05-14-2010, 07:01 PM
If Henley insists there are no outtakes I'm afraid I tend to believe him. They scrapped Glyn Johns' work apart from two songs.
What exactly does "scrapped" mean? Erased or thrown away? I can't buy that, but who knows

Freypower
05-14-2010, 07:12 PM
I define it as 'erased' in this case.

GettheLeadonOut!!
05-14-2010, 08:37 PM
I have to believe that their are plenty of outtakes, demos and takes from all of their sessions.

One song that comes to mind is the Eagles version of "Bad Man" from Randy's first solo. It was written by Glenn & J.D. and recorded during, I believe the One of These Nights sessions.

Shadowland07
05-14-2010, 08:54 PM
i think that a history of the band like the Beatles Anthology would be awesome and a moneymaking idea lol.

Freypower
05-14-2010, 09:01 PM
I have to believe that their are plenty of outtakes, demos and takes from all of their sessions.

One song that comes to mind is the Eagles version of "Bad Man" from Randy's first solo. It was written by Glenn & J.D. and recorded during, I believe the One of These Nights sessions.

Then why does Don Henley continue to insist that it was all scrapped if it was not used? You know what perfectionists they are. If they don't like it they bin it.

I never heard that they recorded Bad Man, but I say again, if it was never released, then it probably does not exist.

GlennLover
05-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Glenn has said in the "Selected Works" promotional video interview that there isn't anything lying around from the pre HFO days other than the "Random Victims" recordings & that it was difficult to find enough material from those that was fit to release (not R or X rated).

Scarlet Sun
05-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Then why does Don Henley continue to insist that it was all scrapped if it was not used?
So they don't get bothered about releasing it! Most bands normally just don't erase songs they went to the trouble of recording.

Prettymaid
05-15-2010, 02:47 PM
As for a DVD from the LROOE tour, it doesn't look good for one at this point, but you never know. It would be a money-maker, I think, and that's always an excellent motivator, so perhaps we'll eventually get one.

I still think a LROOE DVD is very probable, but I would think they would wait until the entire tour is finished.

sodascouts
05-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Well, I sure hope they release one. I'd like the show to be preserved in something other than bootleg form!

I guess my concern was that the tour seems to be winding down and Don is making so many negative comments about them not doing much more that I though "oh no, that doesn't sound good for a DVD." For Farewell 1 they did a freaking press conference announcing it, and the fact that they haven't made any mention of it in the press concerns me. I hope my fears are unwarranted, or that even if they don't do one soon, they do it at some later date.

Prettymaid
05-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Aren't they always recording their shows? Can't they then just splice stuff together? That's how the Paul McCartney DVD is from his tour in 2002.

sodascouts
05-15-2010, 03:01 PM
That would be very cool... at least with their insistence on wearing suits for two years they wouldn't have to worry about clothing continuity. ;)

GettheLeadonOut!!
05-17-2010, 07:42 PM
I never heard that they recorded Bad Man, but I say again, if it was never released, then it probably does not exist.

Maybe I assumed they recorded it as they played it live prior to the On the Border sessions (called "Don't Be Mean to Your Badman"). They also promised a Richie Furay penned song for their next album "On the Borderland" according to this article (1st page, third paragraph on the right):

http://www.eaglesfans.com/info/articles/pdffiles/darkstar.pdf

And what about more live recordings from the early days?

Freypower
05-17-2010, 07:47 PM
What about them?

This is not a band that likes to pay tribute to its past.

I would like to see some old stuff officially released, just as everyone else would, but I would like it to cover the entire spectrum of their career.

GettheLeadonOut!!
05-17-2010, 08:52 PM
What about them?

This is not a band that likes to pay tribute to its past.

I would like to see some old stuff officially released, just as everyone else would, but I would like it to cover the entire spectrum of their career.

First of all, they pay tribute to their past every night. I think what you mean is that they don't like to pay tribute to their past members.

And, no offense Freypower, but "the entire spectrum of their career" relies very, very heavily on the "old stuff". For heavens sakes, they've only put out 2 albums in the past 30 years and one of those albums was comprised of 75% "old stuff".

Freypower
05-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Well, OK, I take your point, but I happen to be one of the apparently few people who wish there was a lot less harking back to the 'old stuff'.