PDA

View Full Version : What's Happening In Your Life?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Brooke
07-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Jess, best of luck with all your decisions. Taking time to make them is a good thing. Hopefully, all will work out for the best.

Soda, I'm glad you are safely ensconced in Memphis and hopefully everything will get put in it's place soon.

Pm, your bedroom is beautiful! Good job! The pretty blue walls are nearly the same color as in my bedroom! I really enjoy a lot of the shows on HGTV, too.

Koala
07-14-2010, 02:00 AM
PM, WOW, your bedroom looks amazing!:thumbsup:
ticky, good too hear you had a great time!:)

Brooke
07-16-2010, 09:52 AM
We are being an awfully quiet bunch these days.

Prettymaid
07-16-2010, 01:22 PM
No news is good news, huh guys?

Peekaboo
07-16-2010, 01:38 PM
No news is good news, huh guys?

Well, I have news but i'm not quite ready to share just yet. It's not bad news either. It's just a real thinker. I have a feeling that it's gonna be a real surprise when you all hear/read what it is. Lou was waaaaaay off when I told her about it yesterday. Sorry, Lou, moving to Dallas is a real nice idea but Oklahoma is my home and i won't be leaving it anytime soon. I appreciate all of the kinds words and support. This community here is amazing.

Peekaboo
07-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Rhonda, glad you had a great time at the cabin. Every time I read about your cabin adventures it makes me want to experience it more and more. It sounds like a wonderful place.

Cathy, you're room looks amazing. Bravo:applause:. You did a really great job on that. It's looks so comfy and I love the colors.

Jess, are you going to share the pictures that you took with Smokey??

(and I reeealy wanna see the pic with you guys and Smokey!! *G*)

Well, I'll have to think about it because I wasn't planning on posting it. I don't like the way I look in that pic...horrible, actually. I didn't get much sleep the night before and was up early (I work nights so 7am is way early for me). I wasn't planning on possibly getting to see the guys at the same hotel we were staying in (although I should've just assumed after what happened in San Jose) so I didn't have much time to fix myself up. Hair was horrible and the makeup was done in record time but it wasn't great. Smokey looks great in the pic. He was wearing a long sleeve, black button up shirt with blue jeans and sun glasses.

Troubadour
07-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Darn it. I'd have joined you in Dallas like a shot!

I've been missing The Border these past few days. I can check in on my phone occasionally, but it's not ideal for posting much. I'm staying with my Grandad this week while my Grandma is in hospital, recovering after her hip operation. Everything seems to have gone really well, thankfully. We're visiting her every day, twice a day. My Grandad keeps saying he doesn't know what he'd have done if my Mum and I couldn't have come to stay. He's forgetting a lot nowadays and he's been so worried about my Grandma - I'm glad we could be here for both of them. She's due home tomorrow, so fingers crossed everything will continue to go smoothly.

The one bad thing about being at my grandparents' place is the network coverage - it's awful! I brought my laptop but I can't seem to connect. Or, if I do, it's a 2G network and it's PAINFULLY slow. So I probably won't be around much until Monday. But I'll check in when I can. Hope everyone's doing well!

TimothyBFan
07-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Well, I have news but i'm not quite ready to share just yet. It's not bad news either. It's just a real thinker. I have a feeling that it's gonna be a real surprise when you all hear/read what it is. Lou was waaaaaay off when I told her about it yesterday. Sorry, Lou, moving to Dallas is a real nice idea but Oklahoma is my home and i won't be leaving it anytime soon. I appreciate all of the kinds words and support. This community here is amazing.

Hmmmm :headscratch:~~ She's getting married or having someone's love child or getting a puppy or becoming a roadie.... the possibilities are endless...:shock:

Don't leave us hanging long her Jess! Good luck making the decision whatever it is!

Peekaboo
07-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Darn it. I'd have joined you in Dallas like a shot!

I know you would have, Lou. We would've had so much fun stalking you know who...er, I mean, we would've had fun seeing all the sites. :wink:

And Lou, I'm glad your Grandma is doing well. That's great that she gets to go home tomorrow. Here's to a quick recovery.

Hmmmm :headscratch:~~ She's getting married or having someone's love child or getting a puppy or becoming a roadie.... the possibilities are endless...:shock:

Don't leave us hanging long her Jess! Good luck making the decision whatever it is!

:hilarious: Don't worry,Willie. I'll be filling you all in about this soon. Like I said, it's not a bad thing. It's just a tough decision to make and even after I tell you all I still have a lot of thinking to do about this. I'm at least not stressing out about it like I was before...thank goodness.

Wildthyme
07-16-2010, 04:14 PM
:hilarious: Don't worry,Willie. I'll be filling you all in about this soon. Like I said, it's not a bad thing. It's just a tough decision to make and even after I tell you all I still have a lot of thinking to do about this. I'm at least not stressing out about it like I was before...thank goodness.

:rofl: I think you just like torturing us with all these hints so that we are on the edge of our seats with curiosity... and its working! :rofl:

Glennsallnighter
07-16-2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks again to everybody who is continuing to send their sympathy and good wishes to my family. We gave my uncle a good 'send off' on Monday. He never married but my sister pointed out that it was a tribute to him that all his nieces and nephews were there for one of both parts of the funeral. He was always there to share in our family celebrations so it was fitting that we all made it to the last celebration of his life.

Peek! Good luck with your decision. Like the others I'll be interested to hear about it. Maybe Mike will open a book where we can all pay to guess and the closest gets the pot!

Cathy, your room looks lovely. What a transformation you have made to it.

Lou! I'm delighted your Grandma has made such wonderful progress and that she is soon to be released from hospital. I'm sure your Grandad really does appreciate you being around. Bummer about the reception though. We miss you here. Looking forward to seeing you back.

Rhonda. Sounds like you had a lovely time at the cabin. It sounds like an idyllic place

Nancy! Glad the move to Memphis is going well too. Hopefully catch you soon as well.

I have a street photography course tomorrow morning and then on Tuesday we are off to Portugal for a week thanks to the generousity of my brother in law who is lending us his villa for the week, and Ryanair who co incidentally had a cheap flights deal a few weeks ago!

Koala
07-17-2010, 01:50 AM
GA, have fun in Portugal! http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Wasser_Strand/smilie_water_067.gif

Peek, slowly you make me curiously on yours news!

Troub, good to hear that it seems all is well with your Grandma!

MikeA
07-17-2010, 07:59 AM
I had and interesting afternoon yesterday...Played golf in 95* with indices well over 100. Probably not the smartest thing I've ever done but it has been a long intense week at work and I won't be able to play golf next week (24/7 on-call).

Okay, 5pm rolls around and my bags and cart are in my truck...headed for the golf course. Got bagged up at the course, paid green fees and headed for the first tee and I hear a siren on the highway that shuts off when it gets to the entrance to the course. The pro was out in the parking lot and said it was coming here! I look at the green on the first hole and there is a body laying on the grass in front of it with several carts and people standing around it!

Some old man and his wife playing and the guy has a heart attack! I guess he'd gotten dehydrated before they ever started and his pacemaker malfunctioned! I felt so sorry for him. I removed my hat as I WALKED PAST THAT FIRST HOLE TO THE SECOND TEE!

Really, anyone with a heart condition and a pacemaker in their chest should probably think two and a half times before playing in this kind of heat. Listen to who's talking! 62 years old and WALKING the freakin' 18 holes! Golfers are a stupid breed! I'll probably meet up with and play with that guy before the summer is over <LOL>. His wife is a nurse and knew what was happening and he was talking by the time I got to the green on the way to the next hole.

Actually had a great round for me too! I shot a 3 over par for the 18 holes! I'm usually +10 when walking.

Glennsallnighter
07-18-2010, 06:12 PM
I know of a 61 year old who loves a round of Golf occasionally :wink:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/PebbleBeach1.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Golf.jpg

MikeA
07-18-2010, 08:39 PM
I went out after we'd driven home the 3 hours from Kansas City this morning. Went out at a little after noon. It was HOT. 98* and I have no idea what the heat index was. I did rent a cart this time. I'd much rather walk the course but not normally in this heat after starting off tired.

I did have a good round though not as good as Friday. There were no bodies laying out on the greens this time...in fact, I was the ONLY PERSON on the course for the first nine holes <LOL>.

The round of golf was good, but the swimming pool after I got through was better even if the water in it was registering 90*! Barely cool enough to cool me down!

sodascouts
07-18-2010, 11:17 PM
Finally got DSL hooked up in my new place, to my great delight! The move hasn't been 100% smooth and I can't find the power cord for my desktop computer, which will render putting up Bernie's birthday treats problematic. Oh well. I'll do it when I can.

I think Willie asked earlier how my cat Milton was handling things - he wasn't happy about the move, but he's settled in nicely. The only problem is that sometimes he gets underfoot - literally - when we're trying to move things and his tail has gotten stepped on more than once. Poor baby!

I am dying to get everything in its place and resume normal life. Hopefully that will be soon. I'm missing my Border time!

Freypower
07-19-2010, 03:19 AM
Congratulations on accomplishing your move successfully, Soda.

We got our passports today! It's starting to get close now (September 8...)

Brooke
07-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Soda, I'm glad to hear your move is about done. It seems to take forever to get everything put away and comfortable. I'm sure Milton is glad it's about done, too. Glad to hear your DSL is on and you'll be around more. We've missed ya!

Ga, have fun in Portugal!

Mike, be careful golfing in that kind of heat. It could've been you laying on the green!

Peek, are you going to take a new job? Getting very curious here!

Fp, sounds like you are getting anxious!

My husband will be retiring from his job this fall and he has been counting down the hours. It's down to like 35 more 10 hour days and he's getting awfully anxious. I think he should just calm down and try to forget about it for a while. I know it will be wonderful for him as he pretty much hates his job (which he has done for 25 years) because he has to be away from home so much. But it kind of scares me that he's soooooooo worked up about it.

MikeA
07-19-2010, 12:07 PM
My husband will be retiring from his job this fall and he has been counting down the hours. It's down to like 35 more 10 hour days and he's getting awfully anxious. I think he should just calm down and try to forget about it for a while. I know it will be wonderful for him as he pretty much hates his job (which he has done for 25 years) because he has to be away from home so much. But it kind of scares me that he's soooooooo worked up about it.

Brooke,

I know how he feels. Wish I only had 35 more days to go. Unfortunately, I'll probably be swimming in COBOL programs until they close the lid!

Glennsallnighter
07-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Soda! Glad to hear you and Milton are more or less moved. Hope the little things go smoothly. Glad to see you back online.

Brooke! Good luck to your husband. I'm sure he'll find he loves retirement once he reaches it! And it'll be lovely to be around you more and away less.

Wow! FP! Hope all the plans go smoothly for your holiday.

We are off early in the morning. I've all the paperwork done for the boarding passes, car hire etc! I have all my Eagles stuff and Glenn :heart: pics on the ipod. Just need to finish up the packing and ..... show up! Have a lovely week and stay safe everybody! Back on the 27th.
Its been a stressful year so far and boy am I looking forward to relaxing a bit now.

EagleLady
07-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Have Fun Lisa! You deserve to relax :hug:

ticky
07-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Nancy, Im so glad your move is nearly done and I hope you get a chance to enjoy the waterfront this summer. Living in Memphis sounds like a real adventure! Poor Milton will adjust *G* Welcome Home!

Brook, How exciting for your husband! Does he have plans once he's retired? My dad started a new business after he retired and it was really successful! He used to travel a LOT and really got to the point where he hated his job. Now he just spends time working on the cabin, fixing up their house and playing on the computer (and driving my Mom nuts occasionally *G*) I can understand your frustrations with his anxiety tho. Good luck to both of you!!

Yay! Julie!! How exciting (be sure to frequent LOTS of book stores while you're on vacation *G* You never know what you might find!)

Lisa, have a wonderful time in Portugal! Im so envious and excited for you. ANYPLACE WARM!! (it's another cold morning here... summer? what summer?) Have a great time!!!

Everything here is pretty much the same. It's cool, the garden is stunted, even the chickens have slowed down their laying. I'd had plans trade eggs for produce and I've had a lot of response (on craigslist) but so far none of them have actually come through. I was going to give Canning/pickling lessons as well, but no one seems to be overly enthusiastic. The big family picnic this year will be a small one, which is actually a good thing, it gives me a lot more opportunity to visit with my friends and family instead of playing hostess (altho several of the most important people probably wont be there). I dont mean to be so cathartic. Im trying to keep my mind open to miracles and positive thoughts such as the triumph of common sense and good health!

Molly
07-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Nancy, glad to hear you're getting settled. Curiosity didn't kill your cat, but sounds like his tail has certainly paid a price.

Brooke -I would need to take a 2nd job if Ditka were to retire. Preferably, something that kept me busy 24/7.

Mike -I've actually heard of COBOL. Believe hubby was experience with that program, as well.

Is it too late to start a "pool" guessing Jess' surprise? I'm in for $5!

Lisa, Julie enjoy your vacations. I'm envious. Looks like another Summer of day trips for us.

We are 5 weeks in to a major backyard landscaping project. We've been trying to re-seed the grass behind our house the past 2 1/2 weeks and Mother Nature is soooooo not cooporating. We've had 8.5 inches of rain come down in buckets in the past week and we have watched a lot of our hours and hours of hard work wash away with the rain.

I have both of my hands covered with bandaids from all the raking I've done over the past few days. Yuck! Badges of honor for a man-but pretty gross for a woman's hands.

Peter is still searching for a job. It's been brutal and his tuition bills keep on rolling in. We need to pony up the money for his final semester very soon and his grant has run out so we'll need to foot the entire bill.

What was the word Brooke was using....ah yes...retirement. <Sigh>

Some day when he's putting his degrees to good use and making mucho money -I know he'll take good care of his father and I in our old age. Well, me at least. ;-)

TimothyBFan
07-19-2010, 02:47 PM
First and foremost--it's only been a few days I haven't been able to check in but boy I sure have missed it.

Ticky--send us some of that cool weather will ya? This has been a ridiculously HOT summer with absolutely no end in sight. Thursday is suppose to be the hottest day in years. Hope they are wrong but the way it's been going, I'm sure they will be right.

Lisa-hope you have a wonderful week.

Brooke-Good luck to you more than hubby!! :hilarious: Whole new adjustments coming your way!

Now the reason I haven't been around. As you know we were to meet up with Cathy & hubby for the tribute band on Saturday night. Well I texted her Saturday late morning to tell her we had hit the road. 2 hours into the trip with about 2 more hours to go, (we were actually only about 20 minutes away from where Cathy lives), Larry said he needed to get a bite because he was starting to get the shakes. We pulled into a McDonalds, ordered and sat down. Larry said he wasn't feeling well and when I looked at him, I got scared to death. He was beet red, then all of a sudden the color washed out of him and he broke out into a sweat, his hands started shaking like I've never seen anyone do before and he said his hands were going numb. I was about ready to call 911 because I thought he was having a stroke when the shaking subsided and he said he wanted to just try to eat and maybe that would help. He ate a few bites and said he was feeling a bit better. We started to leave the restaurant and he told me his hands were still numb. I asked if he wanted to go to the hospital and of course, he said no. I told him it was either that or we were heading back towards home because I was really worried. He said maybe that was for the better. As I start driving towards home, he made a comment to the effect that it usually let's up by now! WHAT? Usually? WTH--he proceeds to tell me that he's been having these spells for 2 or 3 weeks that includes his heart rate going wacky and chest pain and that he hasn't felt very well all morning but didn't want to say anything because didn't want to ruin our weekend. Yeah--this was so much better! MEN!!!

I texted Cathy and my SIL, who we were to stay with and told them we were turning around. By the time we got about an hour away from home, he was feeling better but I was getting more upset that he hadn't said anything before now and hadn't called the doctor, etc. I drove right to the hospital in South Bend. Needless to say, within minutes he was hooked up to EKG's, getting chest xrays, the works. They checked him in for the night for observation and test. Glad to say that the test show no heart attack or stroke or damage done. They seem to think it's the medications he is on playing havoc with his system on top of the heat he's been working in, etc... We got to come home yesterday afternoon. This morning we made an appointment with our doctor for Wednesday afternoon. Hopefully they will get him situated around. Scary 24 hours or so tho I can assure you.

Wildthyme
07-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Wow Willie, how scary... I am glad that Larry appears to be okay but I hope they get the problem/medication situation straightened out. You must have been frantic... I will keep positive thoughts for you and Larry.

Lisa - have a fabulous vacation. I have always wanted to go to Portugal. Someday when I win the lottery it will definitely be part of my world tour. *G*

Nancy, glad to hear you and Milton are settling in. I hope you really enjoy life in Memphis. That is another place I have always wanted to visit because of the music, the bbq, and Elvis. Someday soon I hope...

Julie - have a great time on vacation!

Rhonda - I have faith summer will show up in Portland yet and by September you will be canning like a maniac... maybe I can even come help (if I count as help *G*).

So tomorrow is my surgery. I am getting pretty nervous about the whole thing. I talked a friend of mine into coming over for dinner and a couple movies so that I didn't sit here all evening alone dwelling on it. I will probably be in the hospital for a couple of days so I will let you know what's what at the end of the week...

EagleLady
07-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Oh Good Luck Cami :hug: Hopefully this surgery will do wonders

sodascouts
07-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Good luck with the surgery Cami - you're in my prayers!

Willie, so glad to hear Larry wasn't having a stroke or something. How scary!!

Lisa, having fun on your vacation. Julie, I Know you'll have fun once it gets started but still a month or so yet. ;)

Brooke, when my dad retired, he got really depressed for quite a while. It's a difficult adjustment. I hope everything goes smoothly for your hubby and he can enjoy his "golden years." ;)

Molly - sorry about your injuries - landscaping is brutal business (so I hear!) Good luck to Peter. I know how hard it is right now. Hopefully things will turn around soon for him.

ticky
07-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Willie, Larry's attack sounds soo scary! but it sounds a LOT like something that happens to me that involves my blood sugar levels. You know all about the surgery I had and my diet is kinna funky because of it. If I dont eat enough protein or too much sugar, I get something akin to what you've described called a "sugar dump". Too much sugar enters my system all at once and I break out in a cold sweat, all the blood leaves my head, I have nearly passed out a few times and I get the shakes pretty bad. It lasts maybe a hour or a little more then Im fine. Has he had his blood sugar levels checked lately? Any history of diabetes in his family? It's just something you might check on.

MikeA
07-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Kay folks....need an information chain! Need to know Cami's status AND Willie's husband's! That shakey stuff....I get it every now and again and like your husband Willie, usually just eating something takes care of it...but I don't have a freakin' clue what it is!

ticky
07-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Cami's status is she goes in for surgery tomorrow (which after I post this she'll prolly tell you herself *G*) I'll try and keep as up to date on her info as I can and post as often as possible.

Prettymaid
07-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Soda, it's good to have you back! I hope you continue to adjust nicely to your new place. And poor, poor Milton!

WT, I'll continue thinking good thoughts. Take care.

TBF, it would have been a lot more fun if you had been there. Tell Larry we're thinking of him. Hope the doctor gives him a clean bill of health.

I'm starting to get a complex - first Soda gets sick after driving over here and eating out with us and now TBF's hubby gets sick on the way to meet up with us! :worried: Beware Borderers! :fear:

Freypower
07-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Sympathies to those of you with health issues or with family members with health issues. How stressful.

I think Brooke asked if I were 'anxious' about the trip (you all used that very American word 'vacation' when we say 'holiday'....) and the answer is I wouldn't say I was anxious for myself but more for Rosalind having to endure a 22 hour flight.

Ticky, I know what you are saying about book stores - they are wonderful in London but I have to carry the stuff. Normally I buy T shirts and the inevitable postcards & magnets when I travel because they don't weigh much. I will have to be careful at the Globe Theatre that I don't buy the entire shop.

Prettymaid
07-19-2010, 09:30 PM
I think Brooke asked if I were 'anxious' about the trip (you all used that very American word 'vacation' when we say 'holiday'....) and the answer is I wouldn't say I was anxious for myself but more for Rosalind having to endure a 22 hour flight.

That's another weird one. We use "anxious" more to mean excited or looking forward to, while you seem to use it more to mean nervous or tense.

Freypower
07-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Good grief. I had no idea! Apologies, Brooke! :brickwall::blush:

sodascouts
07-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Actually I use "anxious" more to mean nervous and anxiety-ridden as well! Perhaps it's a regional thing rather than an American thing per se.

Koala
07-20-2010, 02:04 AM
WT, good luck for you surgery!

FP, how exciting and wow a 22 hours flight! If I fly in the vacation in August it takes only 45min.

Soda, good to hear that your move is almost done!

Brooke, the retirement from your husband if becomes certainly a exciting time!

Molly , good luck to Peter for finding a job.

Willie, Larry's attack must be scary for you!

You are all in my thoughts!:hug:

Brooke
07-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Wow! Lots of stuff going on with everyone here!

Mike-what is COBOL? Evidently, we haven't had to deal with it yet!

Ticky, oh yes, my husband has tons of plans for his retirement. He's not one to sit in front of the tv and do nothing. First of all, it will be coming up on his favorite time of the year, hunting season. Deer, followed by his most favorite, coon! Both have been done rather haphazardly the last few years what with being away a lot with work. He is also planning to help a farmer friend who he has done lots of work for in the past, only this time more with the harvest than the building repairs. He really hopes to not have to swing a hammer much. After 30 years of it, he's pretty tired of it. We also plan to take a vacation or two here and there. There are many sites here in the good ol' USA that we plan on seeing, besides visiting our kids more.

Molly, I know just what you mean. I'm keeping my day job! I don't have much of a retirement plan, it's 2 miles from home, and I have other great benefits. I will have to wait till I'm 65, social security and medicare (if it's still around!). Good luck with your landscaping project. We always do that stuff ourselves, too, so I know just what your hands look like!

Willie, good grief! I'm hoping Larry will be ok and I'm thinking the d word, too, along with Ticky. I hope not. I have had those shakes myself, but food took care of it and never as severe as what you described.

Wt, thinking about you today.

Fp, I think I really meant 'excited', but 'anxious' works for me, too! Love the English language!

Molly
07-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Willie, hope Larry is feeling much better by now. Some medications leave ya feeling worse than whatever the reason is for taking them. And heat exposure in combination with some medications can really cause havoc making a person really sensitive to hot weather.

Hopefully, it's nothing but a minor tune up!

Cami-thinking about you today!

Hubby is out of town for a 3 day business trip. Would it be wrong for me if I said "WOO HOO"!!! Almost like being on vacation for me! Lunch was chocolate chip cookie dough!

ticky
07-20-2010, 03:08 PM
THIS...
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs037.ash2/35214_1524912399829_1145190649_1509336_5124626_n.j pg
just landed in my back yard!! I've been hearing it calling all morning but now it's sitting on Sarah's tree house eye-balling the chickens!! It's a LOT bigger then it looks! I took this with my phone out the kitchen window.

Prettymaid
07-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Hubby is out of town for a 3 day business trip. Would it be wrong for me if I said "WOO HOO"!!! Almost like being on vacation for me! Lunch was chocolate chip cookie dough!

Would it be wrong for me to high five you?

Ticky, call me psychic but I'll bet that thing's after your chickens!

Peekaboo
07-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Cami, thinking of you today. Sending out prayers, good thoughts, and big hugs to you.

Molly I know how you feel about those tuition bills. I was only a partial athletic scholarship during my college years and my mom "made too much money" so I couldn't get any kind of pell grants or anything like that so my parents had to foot the rest of the bill. That put a strain on them so I after my first year I took out student loans and now i'm paying those suckers every month. It's such a pain.

Brooke, I'm glad your husband will have plenty to do once he retires. I know my mom can't wait till she retires. I think she's got about 5 or 6 more years.

Lisa, have fun in Portugal. I hope we get to see some pictures when you return.

Nancy, Welcome back and welcome home. Glad your getting all settled in your new place. I'm sure it's a pain to have to unload and fix everything in your new place but it'll be worth it once your done.

Willie, I hope Larry is feeling better now. That episode he had sounds scary. It's good that you got him to a hospital asap. You never know what could've happened.

Peek! Good luck with your decision. Like the others I'll be interested to hear about it. Maybe Mike will open a book where we can all pay to guess and the closest gets the pot!

Now there's an idea. Although, Lou and Rhonda will have to be ineligible to participate in that game.

:rofl: I think you just like torturing us with all these hints so that we are on the edge of our seats with curiosity... and its working! :rofl:

Mwah Hahahaha!! Okay, that was my poor attempt at an evil laugh.

MikeA
07-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Wow! Lots of stuff going on with everyone here!

Mike-what is COBOL? Evidently, we haven't had to deal with it yet!

Okay Brooke, you asked for it: Get ready for a 40,000 word dissertation:

COBOL

CO - Common
B - Business
O - Oriented
L - Language

It is now considered a "dinosaur language" used by Programmers to code programs for businesses and financial institutions. It was an early attempt in designing a program that would supposedly read like English so virtually anyone could look at it and tell what was going on with the program.

That was an optimistic thought.

An example:

If AMOUNT5 (SUB3) EQUALS ZERO
PERFORM 25000-BAD-AMOUNT THROUGH 25000-BAD-AMOUNT-EXIT.

About the only thing that can be said is that English words are used in the code. what it really means is that there is a table that has some unspecified number of amounts in it. That instruction is pointing to the amount that is specified in "SUB3" and you can't tell what that value is unless you have followed the evolution of its value through the logic of the program from the beginning.

But by changing that value from +1 to say +5, you could execute the same instruction regardless of which value you were interested in checking to see if it was ZERO.

Now, could you understand that just by knowing how to read English words?

Consequently, it has become a pretty much obsolete language...at least for the newer crop of Programmers entering the Profession. They are all oriented toward Java and Flash and Clinet/Server type languages that I know NOTHING about.

The good thing for me is that the main programs being used by large Financial Institutions is STILL COBOL and we are still processing them on main frame computers rather than on Client/Server networks <LOL>

Lisa
07-20-2010, 08:37 PM
Wow! ticky: is that a hawk? It is scouting for prey, that's certain. Hawks have a high-pitched call--eerie sounding.

ticky
07-20-2010, 08:42 PM
yeah, I can hear it! it's been calling all day and staying really close. Our neighbors have chickens too and I think a few others in this neighborhood do as well. Im surprised we haven't lost a chicken before this, I've been hearing him for a few days now, but this is the first time I've seen him in the yard! We normally let the chickens run free in the back yard. We'll have to do something or keep them penned!

Lisa
07-20-2010, 09:07 PM
It is such an unnerving call.

(It sounds like naz--guuull, naz--guull, naz--guull--only it is very unusually high-pitched--the call is probably like a variation of a crow's --"caw"--but you'd never think so when you first hear it--only vaguely after listening to the big bird finish it
It sounds a little like "caw" at the end, only vocalized high instead of cackling)...
Listening to a hawk occasionally vocalizing while it flies in a still current is like hearing a doomy type of prophecy turned into a bird call. The sound hovers in the air as though everything else has stopped.

That's pretty aggressive fior a bird--to move that close to a backyard. Eyeing chickens--that would be pigeons and gulls around this area, or mice and chipmunks, at least.

Careful for the nice chickens!

It may be possible to gradually scare the bird away--scarecrow vigilence--but they find a quadrant they like and return to it. They circle. The bird may go back to the woods, where it lives; but it may be tempted to keep returning to scout the chickens, if it feels safe.

The bird may start to change its behavior if it feels uneasy whenever it is nearby. (this is not radical behavior tactics stuff, but hawks do, as a matter of bird disposition, habitually scout for animals). Just scaring a bird doesn't mean hurting it at all.

The smaller hawks act like unusually tenaciously focused and small minded crows. Their call is sometimes partly a social instinct. But, crows are much more social, characteristically, than more typically vigilant, circling, scouting, predatory hawks.

Up close, they really do even resemble crows distinctly; except for their feather coloring--(especially the skirted bands of alternate brown and white or black and white or grey and white lower wing and torso feather design), formidable wingspan and powerful wings; size; the anvil (or arrowhead) slant to the front of the head; and the beak that starts out like a crow's pointy beak and then hooks into a downward curve at the tip.

Your hawk is so big, that it may be a chicken hawk.

The last feathers on the wings--when the bird is flying with wings spread--will tip out and up like fingers,--it is a characteristic.

AzEaglesFan
07-21-2010, 02:12 AM
Well, after four years of being a yard ornament, our motorhome is "On the road again". Bobby loaded up and left for the mountains this morning, then he had the gall to call and tell me about the rain they had and how cool it was up there. It was less then 100 here so I didn't throw all his clothes out in the front yard. The dog is in mourning and I had to take her for a walk at 10:00 PM because it finally cooled off to 90 degrees. Walking is hard on two old fat females especially when one of them is wearing a fur coat. Splash was 12 years old in June. She is Bobby's dog but will tolerate me when she wants to go for a walk or get fed. She can't get in the motorhome so she had to stay home so lucky me got to stay home with her. Since I got to go to Texas this was Bobby"s turn to enjoy himself.

Brooke
07-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Okay Brooke, you asked for it: Get ready for a 40,000 word dissertation:

COBOL

CO - Common
B - Business
O - Oriented
L - Language

It is now considered a "dinosaur language" used by Programmers to code programs for businesses and financial institutions. It was an early attempt in designing a program that would supposedly read like English so virtually anyone could look at it and tell what was going on with the program.

Mike, thank you, but your pretty much lost me after that! Obviously, I'm not a computer programmer!

Ticky, my husband would suggest using a shotgun to scare the hawk away. Either aim it at him or just fire in the air and maybe he'll get the idea!

Az, sorry you didn't get to go to the mountains, but I guess it's only fair huh?

I forgot to mention yesterday was my 36th anniversary! Since my husband wasn't home, it was spent quietly. He did send me a beautiful bouquet of summer flowers! Maybe we'll go out to dinner this weekend.

Lisa
07-21-2010, 07:44 PM
With the bird situation--you might even have other birds start flocking to drive the hawk away--crows and other birds do try to drive out intruders the size of a hawk--if other birds start banding together and roosting in nearby trees and on nearby roosts--nature could start to send the bird away.
If you are a presence outside when the bird appears--it could get wary of landing, and maybe find a new focus.

TimothyBFan
07-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Larry saw our doctor yesterday. After testing, they seriously are thinking it was a reaction to the Lipitor for his supposedly high cholesterol. The new test don't show it's high. Happy to also report that the blood sugar levels are fine also. He hasn't taken the Lipitor since Saturday and has had no spells since then. Fingers crossed that it's all under control again now.

Prettymaid
07-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Good to hear TBF. Hope fully that took care of the problem, and hopefully his cholesterol will stay down. I have to take cholesterol medication (not Lipitor) but I've never had a reaction from it.

AZ, try to take Molly's attitude about hubby being away. :partytime: :hilarious:

MikeA
07-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Willie, I used to take Lipitor. EXPENSIVE stuff! I finally convinced my Dr to let me try some of the other drugs so I've been on all of them I guess... Can't remember the names of all of them (Zocor, Crestor and Lipitor are the ones I recall.) But finally I got on Simbistatin and it is taking care of the Cholesterol levels and doesn't break the bank!

Molly
07-22-2010, 11:44 AM
AZ, try to take Molly's attitude about hubby being away. :partytime: :hilarious:

Can tell I've been married a long time, can't ya! He's been traveling our entire marriage so I'm certainly used to it. I used to get all mopey when he left (cry even) and now I don't even get out of bed when he leaves.

The only one moping around here this week is our (his) dog, Gracie. She's been sitting out on the driveway staring down the street waiting for his truck to pull up. I have to make her come back into the house.

Willie-glad to hear Larry's feeling better.

Wildthyme
07-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Willie those statin drugs are evil. They may help reduce cholesterol levels but the side effects for a lot of people are horrible. My mom went through months of misery when she took them. My doctor tried to get me to take them too a couple of years ago when my cholesterol tested a bit over 200 and my triglycerides were a bit high but I absolutely refused and decided to treat it naturally with diet (and it worked). I swear drug companies are as bad as political lobbyists and doctors are as weak as senators when it comes to perks and they push, push, push medications at people when they aren't necessarily the best choice.

Prettymaid
07-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Mike, I'm on Simvastatin too. Same thing happened to me. The doctor prescribed some name brand that was going to cost me $90 a month! I turned it down and he put me on Simvastatin.

Last week they told me that my trigycerides were high and the doctor wanted to prescribe Lovaza. I went to pick it up and it was $60. I left it there and called my doctor's office. They told me I could take over-the-counter Omega 3 fish oil instead!

I am also trying to control my cholesterol with diet and excercise so that someday I can get off of the meds.

I agree with WT that the doctors are in bed with the drug companies. Whose looking out for us? :eyebrow:

MikeA
07-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Around 8 years ago, after a motorcycle incident that resulted in one of those Radioactive injections with pictures, they checked my Cholesterol and it was over 300. They'd seen a really bright glow up around my heart in the aorta. It took about a year to get the counts down but down they came and have remained down ever since. Yet, doctor will not endorse taking me off the drugs! He said the only thing keeping the counts down is the meds.

Not sure whether to believe him or not. I certainly feel no different now than I did when the counts were over 300!

Brooke
07-22-2010, 04:15 PM
I agree with WT that the doctors are in bed with the drug companies. Whose looking out for us? :eyebrow:

No one! We have to look out for ourselves and question why and how much first.

I haven't had to take any of these drugs so far, but my Mom does and I definitely agree with this. They can't wait to prescribe something new for her. She has diabetes and heart disease. I know these are hereditary, but am a true believer that diet and exercise can make a big difference. And so far it's worked for me.

Wildthyme
07-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Last week they told me that my trigycerides were high and the doctor wanted to prescribe Lovaza. I went to pick it up and it was $60. I left it there and called my doctor's office. They told me I could take over-the-counter Omega 3 fish oil instead!

I am also trying to control my cholesterol with diet and excercise so that someday I can get off of the meds.

You might check out Red Rice Yeast. Its a natural "statin" and has had shown good results reducing cholesterol and triglycerides along with Omega-3 oils. I went to a naturopathic physician last year who recommended it to me. I used it for a while and had no bad effects from it. But I would check with your doctor if you are taking any other statin drugs first.

Prettymaid
07-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Thanks Cami. How are you feeling this afternoon?

Wildthyme
07-22-2010, 07:39 PM
I am actually feeling pretty good. I had a four hour nap yesterday evening followed by about ten hours of sleep and I felt so much better when I woke up this morning. I haven't needed any pain meds yet beyond ibuprofen though it kind of hurts if I cough or move too fast. I actually managed to walk the two blocks to the library and back this afternoon (very slowly). However I am pretty worn out from that effort so now I am just resting and watching a couple of videos I borrowed.

EagleLady
07-22-2010, 09:04 PM
I just broke my glasses. Hopefully I can get new ones soon.

Wildthyme
07-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Hope so too EL, especially if you need your glasses all the time - it would be rough without them.

Troubadour
07-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Cami, I've been thinking of you. I'm sure you are pretty tender at the moment, but I'm glad to hear you're doing okay. Relax and enjoy those movies - you deserve it!

Willie - Larry's 'episode' must have been terrifying for you. I'm so glad it wasn't anything too serious.

This week has been a bit up and down. My Grandma had a funny turn in hospital and her recovery was a little shaky to begin with, but she is now home and seems to be doing quite well. She certainly seems a lot happier with all those home comforts around her! I know my Grandad is nervous about taking care of her by himself, but I'm sure he'll do just fine. I had to come back home today because I have work, but my aunt is visiting them tomorrow, and I'm sure we'll pop back up there in a few days.

Thanks for all your thoughts and your concern - my grandparents mean the world to me. I hate seeing them so vulnerable, but I'm so, so glad that my Mum and I were able to stay with them this week and help out. My Grandad kept saying "I don't know what I'd have done without you." As my Mum said, it's only a fraction of what they've done for us over the years.

Anyway, with any luck, my Grandma will continue to thrive at home and she'll be moving around with ease in no time.

Unfortunately I've developed tonsillitus, so I'm feeling a bit groggy. I hadn't felt right for a few days and yesterday I found the tell-tale white patches on my right tonsil - so it's paracetamol and Strepsils for now. I'm trying to stay up a little longer (it's already 3am here) as I'm doing my first night shift tomorrow. Hopefully I'll sleep late and be more awake for the evening. That's the theory anyway!

Prettymaid
07-23-2010, 07:53 AM
Troub, so, so glad to have you back. Hopefully your grandma will be in tip top shape in no time. Take care of that tonsllitus!

Mrs Henley
07-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Lou, I hope Grandma is soon better! Give her a lot of hugs.

MikeA
07-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Cami,

TAKE THOSE PAIN MEDS! It's criminal not to take them! <LOL>

Mrs Henley
07-23-2010, 08:15 AM
Cami,

TAKE THOSE PAIN MEDS! It's criminal not to take them! <LOL>

Hahaha Cami listen to Mike!
Glad you're doing well, take care!

Stars
07-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Lou, hope you feel better soon, and best wishes to your grandmother for a speedy recovery!:thumbsup:

Koala
07-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Lou, hope you and your Grandma feel better soon! :)

EagleLady
07-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Got some new glasses. Will be going to Eye Doctor next wednesday to make sure I don't need a stronger frame

Mrs Henley
07-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Hope it's going alright EL.

Well, just had a hard time with my mom, she was in May diagnosed with Breastcancer. Surgery went well and she is cancer free, thank heaven. (the short story)

Uhm, going to the 3rd college year, it's gonna be heavy but I'll see.

One of my best friends is in the hospital now...it's going not good with her, hope she'll make it.

Pff...life sucks right now.

ticky
07-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Hey Danielle, Welcome back! Im so glad to hear your Mom's okay. That's a really hard thing to go through.
I hope your friend will be alright! Life can suck at times, but the best part about it is it's always changing so it WILL get better.
Congrats on the third year. You'll be a grad before you know it!!

Mrs Henley
07-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Hi Rhonda, thank you. I just decided to come back, cause I've missed you guys. Yes we're happy too. I do hope she is going to be alright, she did it to herself so..I don't know.

Oh I just figured out that it's going to last long my relation right now..

EagleLady
07-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Aww I'm happy for your mom Danielle. and I hope you have a great year in College

sodascouts
07-23-2010, 08:16 PM
willie - thanks for the update on Larry. hopefully now that he's off the meds he'll continue to be fine.

As far as the doctors being on the take... I'm still convinced the $4000 EKG that a doctor sent me to for a freaking dizzy spell was motivated by a kickback. It was an inner ear infection.

Lou - hope both you and your grandmom feel better soon!

Danielle, I'm glad to hear your mother's surgery went well. I hope your friend's does as well.

I'm finally completely unpacked - WOOT! - but unfortunately I had a minor seizure the other day. I'm perfectly fine except my tongue is pretty chewed up and it hurts to talk or eat. This would encourage most people to do less of both but in my case... not so much. I soldier on. ;)

Prettymaid
07-23-2010, 09:31 PM
This would encourage most people to do less of both but in my case... not so much. I soldier on. ;)

Nan-cy! That must hurt like heck! I know you get tired of hearing this but I worry about you living alone and having seizures.

On a brighter note congratulations on getting everything unpacked. BTW, you didn't mention whether or not you've put things away... ;)

sodascouts
07-24-2010, 12:54 AM
Aw, you're sweet to worry Cathy, but really, what other choice do I have that wouldn't severely hamper my swingin' lifestyle? ;) Besides, with my new meds, I can feel it coming on (I get these "brain blips" kind of like a light switch going on and off really quickly - only the "light" is my ability to think lol). This enables me to move away from anything pointy before the big one hits... which is a very good thing! ;)

AzEaglesFan
07-24-2010, 12:58 AM
Nancy, if you can feel them coming on, can they make you some kind of guard that you can put in your mouth real quick to stop the damage to your tongue?

sodascouts
07-24-2010, 01:03 AM
I don't know - I've never had something like that suggested to me, but that doesn't mean it's not an option. I think I'll ask about that at the next visit to the neurologist because it hurts BAD! I don't even want to go out because my face is fixed in a grimace of pain (and probably will be for another day or two), That kind of expression gets you funny looks. Just trying to get some Orajel tonight I had three people ask me "Are you OK?" And it hurt just to force out "I'm fine." Embarrassing!

Koala
07-24-2010, 01:30 AM
Danielle, good to hear your Mom is okay right now! Hope your friend feel's better soon!

Willie, good to hear it was nothing really serious with Larry!

EL, good luck with the Eye Doctor!

Soda Im sorry to hear from your minor seizure, hope everything is ok now!

Mrs Henley
07-24-2010, 03:42 AM
Willie - Glad he's fine!

Nancy - Good Luck with unpacking everything and hope you have a nice home. Hope you're fine, take care.

sodascouts
07-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Well, I finally have everything essentially put away and am trying to organize everything and get back to "normal life" - which includes updating the sites again. I never in a million years thought moving would be this difficult. I'm single and I lived in a small apartment. I thought it would take me a week to get things sorted, tops. Nigh on three weeks later, I'm just now settling in.

Now I have to get used to this place so I don't feel anxious every time I have to drive somewhere!

TimothyBFan
07-26-2010, 08:17 AM
I never in a million years thought moving would be this difficult. I'm single and I lived in a small apartment. I thought it would take me a week to get things sorted, tops. Nigh on three weeks later, I'm just now settling in.

It's settled then--I will NEVER move and my kids will just have to deal with all the useless crap stashed in every nook and cranny of this old house after I die!

Prettymaid
07-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Glad you're getting settled in! How's your new furniture look?

Peekaboo
07-26-2010, 06:57 PM
Hey guys! Just wanted to check in while I have a few minutes. I'm at work and am on a coworkers laptop on my break. I've been meaning to log on here but things have been pretty crazy lately so I had to deal with some stuff. Hopefully all will be resolved soon. I still haven't forgotten to tell you all the news. I will let you all know about that soon, i promise.

Stars
07-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Peek-great to hear from you! Look forward to you checking in again soon and hearing all your news.
Nancy, glad your move went well, and you are getting everything sorted out. Before long, you will know directions to everywhere you need to go!

sodascouts
07-26-2010, 09:29 PM
PM, my furniture looks good, but plain - I need some throws and pillows and paintings/art/some kind of stuff for the walls now that I have more rooms to decorate.

Peek, hope everything turns out how you want it to - can't wait to hear your news!

New frustration though - there's a storm tonight and my power has gone off and on no less than FOUR TIMES in as many hours! Here's hoping it doesn't go out while I'm trying to post!

Brooke
07-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Soda, yikes! I've bit my tongue before (and lip, and cheek) and it hurts like all get out! You must have really done it! Congrats on getting all settled in.

Reminds me of getting a filling at the dentist (which I have to do on Thursday and I'm already getting nervous about it. :fear: )

Now what about driving-I hope you have time to pull over if you feel one coming on?

sodascouts
07-27-2010, 03:32 PM
I certainly do - don't worry about me, guys. I don't have a death wish!

Peekaboo
07-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Before I tell you all about the decision i've been thinking about over the last month or so I want to first say that i welcome all I advice. I'd like to know your opinion whether you think I should do this or not. Trust me, I need all the advice I can get.

Well, many of you know the situation with my cousin Francene. She's been told by her doctors that she shouldn't have any more children. Because of the medication she has to take (and she'll have to be on this medication for the rest of her life) it would be too much of a risk for her and a baby if she were to get pregnant. I know this news just broke her heart because she's always wanted to have a big family. She already has one child, a 5 year old daughter, Lily. We were talking over the phone about a month ago and I said, without thinking, that I would be a surrogate mother for her. She got so happy when I told her and I could just hear the joy in her voice. She told me that she hadn't even thought about surrogacy at all but now that I brought it up there's no one else in the world that she would trust to do this for her. At first I was in shock. In my head i was thinking "What the heck did I just say? What did i just get myself into?" That was in the beginning though. I've had some time to talk more to Francene, her hubby, her mom, and my mom about it. I told them all that although i did offer to do this i'm still going to need some time to think about it. I told them I can't completely commit to it and say yes right now but that doesn't mean that i'm saying no either. Francene's mom and stepdad have offered to pay for this but it's still going to be at least a couple of years if it happens. I still go back and forth on my decision. One moment I have myself talked into it and the next i'm against it. I still have some time to decide. I've got a lot of research to do and there's still some people I want to talk to about this. I've got some time and that's a good thing because this is going to take some serious thinking. I already know it's a lot of risk and there's so much to consider here, both good and bad, but this is for Francene. She's like a sister to me. Because we are so close makes this even more hard to decide. In some ways it seems like it should be an easy decision but thankfully Francene is very understanding and I know that she won't be disappointed if i decide not to do it. I welcome all opinions on this. So please, let me know what you think. My feelings won't be hurt either way.

EagleLady
07-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Oh Jess, the best gift you could give Francene is another child. Being a surrogate mother would be a wonderful thing for you to do. Of course this is your decision but I do believe you will make the right one for you :hug:

sodascouts
07-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Initially, I thought, maybe there was a reason that the idea popped out of your mouth. Maybe it was meant to be.

But then I thought about it a bit more, and I'm going to be honest here. There are plenty of reasons not to do it. You would essentially be giving up a year of your life, minimum. You are a single woman with your own life. You will probably have to move in with someone, or have someone helping you out. You won't be able to travel well. Forget impulsive trips to see concerts or going out with friends for more than just a few hours, and even then your choices would be limited. Dating would be problematic, to say the least. Yes, it's "only" for a year or so, but we're not getting any younger and putting your life on hold for that length of time may not be the wisest choice for you.

Also, there's a lot of physical pain involved. It will take a toll on your body and will change it forever. One of my friends told me that she completely lost her waist after her pregnancy and that her bladder seems to have shrunk as she can't "hold it" like she used to. My mother got varicose veins from her first pregnancy that cause her problems to this day, forty years later. She has to wear special panty hose or her legs hurt badly. Another of my friends had such bad complications she wound up being told she would never have another baby. If that happened to you, what then? Even in the best of circumstances - a safe and healthy pregnancy - your body will never be the same.... stretch marks at the very least.

Then there's the emotional pain. The natural connection you have with the baby in your womb will be incredibly intimate, and then you just have to pass the baby off and see him/her on the occasional holiday. The truth is that surrogacy is really unnatural in a lot of ways; God put the bond there for a reason. It connects a mother to her child so she can raise the child with love. In your case, you won't be raising the baby; your body is just a tool being used to incubate someone else's eggs and sperm, and I don't think that's necessarily what God intended. If the eggs being used are yours... well, you're giving up your own child.

Plus, Francene already has a child. If she's nourished some kind of maternal fantasy of raising a "big family," one more child doesn't really fit the bill. If it's twins or triplets, which sometimes happens with surrogacy, that could cause even more complications and might overtax Francene.

Which brings me to something very difficult, and that is that Francene's health problems might be a reason NOT to do this. Is it really a good idea for her to take on additional childrearing responsibilities? How will that kind of stress affect her health? What about the financial burden of it? She might not care, but if, God forbid, she should worsen, that child/children will suffer as well as those who love Francene and she wouldn't even be able to raise the child as she would want to. Imagine how badly she would feel if she were too weak to be the mother she wants to be to this baby or the worst should happen and the baby is left without a mother (again, God forbid). I pray to God Francene has a long and healthy life, but it's something that has to be considered. This isn't just about Francene.

Which leads to the question - Why are you doing this? To make Francene happy? Does she really need an extra child to be happy? Should we really treat a human life as something that we "give" as a gift, like this baby was some kind of Christmas present designed to cheer her up? This is another person we're talking about here, not an object to be presented in order to make Francene smile. Certainly, do NOT do it out of a sense of guilt and obligation. Only do it if you feel in your heart it is the right thing.

And perhaps it is, but I'd be darn sure first. In your case, you had second thoughts almost immediately and have been struggling ever since. If in doubt, don't do it. That's my advice.

But I can see why you've been struggling. I can only imagine the pressure you're under to do this and how desperately you want to make Francene happy, how hard it would be to say no. I know you believe in God, so I say PRAY HARD about it because no one in this world is going to be able to tell you what to do. Professional counseling about it also isn't a bad idea.

Although it's hard to say what one would do when one isn't in the same circumstances, at this point I think that if it were me, I wouldn't do it unless I were positive it was God's will. Otherwise, I would say it wasn't meant to be for Francene to have another child and we shouldn't try to force it this way just because it would make her happy to have a bigger family. I would tell her to cherish the child that God has blessed her with instead of trying such extreme measures to get more.

Wildthyme
07-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Jess, that is a huge decision and I am glad you are not rushing into anything and really taking time to think about it. Let me share my own personal experience with trying to make a decision like that....

Back in the early 90's my cousin was desperately trying to have a child. She went through surgery and fertility treatments but she was never able to conceive. Eventually the idea of surrogacy came up and someone in the family made a comment about me acting as a surrogate, kind of in a joking manner, but it made me stop and think about it. For a few months I seriously considered the possibility. Could I do something like that? Could I have a child, even one that wasn't biologically mine, and give it up to my cousin and her husband and then only have occasional contact with him or her? One thing I discovered during that time is that becoming a surrogate mother is strongly frowned upon if you have never given birth before because there no previous medical history of pregnancy for doctors to assess risk and determine if you are a good candidate (Can you carry a pregnancy to term? Did you have pre-eclampsia? Gestational diabetes? Delivery problems? Postpartum depression? And so on). But for me there was the simple fact that I very much wanted to be a mother myself and I would be giving up the first child I gave birth to and I honestly could not say with conviction that I would be able to go through with it.

Fast forward 18 or so years and here I am, 46 years old and I never got to have children of my own. I wanted to be a mom very badly but it just never worked out. Its hard enough to watch my sister and brothers become parents and grandparents when I know I never will and I can't imagine how it would have affected me emotionally if I'd gone through with the surrogacy and then never became a parent myself yet had this other child in my life that I had given birth to.

And Nancy brings up a good point about Francene's health. What if it deteriorates? What if something happens to her and/or her husband? Can you stand by, knowing that you have no rights or say over that child or their future?

I think its a wonderful, generous offer that you made, one that came from the heart and something that, based on what I know about you, I am sure is offered out of love and friendship. But take a lot of time to really think about it and to be sure its something you can really do. And while it is sad that Francene is not able to have more children she has been blessed with one and that's more than many people are ever lucky enough to have...

Peekaboo
07-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Trust me, i've gone over and will continue to go over all considerations and possibilities and will continue to think about all advice given here. I've already thought about most of the questions raised by both Nancy and Cami. I appreciate both of your advice. Cami, thanks for sharing that story. I'd like to talk to you more about that in future if you don't mind. I know there's a big question about Francene's health and how that could affect her being able to care for another child. I've already talked to her about that myself. I hated to even think about let alone talk to her about the worst happening but we did talk about it and from what I understand by talking to her and to my mom, she is going to be fine for a long time. Of course, I know that there's always the possibility that her cancer could worsen but right now that's a very small chance. The luekemia was discovered early and is in the chronic stage and not acute. Her doctors have told her that, with the medication she is taking, she should be able to have a long and healthy life. Right now the only sickness that she experiences is nausea from the medication and a little bit of hair loss. Now as far as this whole thing goes with me being able to handle this, right now I really don't know. I'm still thinking things through. Nancy, all that you mentioned about the negatives of this and me having to put my life on hold, I've already thought about that. I really think that i could do that but I don't think that I would have to put everything in my life on hold. Yes, i say that now but i know that that could change if I actually go through with this. I was freaking out in the beginning but my stress about this has gone way down since then. I know now that i have time to really think about this. I am still taking all things into consideration and trying to look at this from all sides as best I can before I come to a decision.

TimothyBFan
07-28-2010, 09:07 AM
WOW--didn't see that coming!!

Jess-first let me say, you are an extremely special person to even be considering this for Francene and no matter what you decide, I'm sure Francene will be forever grateful to you for even thinking about it.

I might be in the minority here but I believe there are positives to this also. I will admit that my first thought while reading your initial post was same as everyone else's....what if Francene isn't able to raise another child because of her health... what if...what if... That would be my main concern.

That being said, as far as your life on hold... NO WAY!!! Please, no one misunderstand what I'm about to say but until you are pregnant, you don't know how it affects your life. I've done it 2 times and I carried on with my life as I always have. I've also had friends that have actually gone it alone, no reason to bring someone in to "help" or move in with someone. Why? It's pregnancy, a very natural thing. Granted there could be complications (I had gestational diabetes both times), didn't slow me down. I went to concerts (Rolling Stones for example), I went to parties, shopping, driving, painting, etc... and worked until I was 2 days away from delivering with Dillon and 3 with Katie. And yes my body changed but so what! It was worth every bit of change to bring another life into this world. Now that being said, I will admit that both of my pregnancies were easy ones with very few days of nausea or issues. Again, every pregnancy is different. Honestly, I always thought I would of been a great surrogate because I'm one of those that enjoyed being pregnant and had no problems with it.

Now, there IS the emotional issues involved. Being a mother is one of those things that you become as soon as you know you are pregnant and it is an emotional thing. Your hormones are going crazy and all that. But I'm sure that before you become a surrogate, there are people you can talk to about it that have been there and done it. My advice is to talk to as many of them as you can. My first thought was, at least she will get to see this baby and not just let it walk away with people she will never see again. My second thought was, this is a baby she will give birth too but not get to raise and will see often. I don't really know which one would be better. Again, very emotional but it depends on the person and how they handle things like that. To be honest, I seriously think that next to Francene's health, this would be my biggest concern. Would you be emotionally be able to see this baby as often as you will after carrying it for 9 months and not be the mother but only a cousin?

Big issues to consider Jess and I hope (know you will) think long and hard before making that final decision. Listen to all the advice you get (even mine) and weigh it all out WITH Francene and her family. It won't only be emotional for you, but for everyone in both of your families also. I will say, sounds like you will have a lot of love and support no matter which decision you make. I keep thinking about what your father told you on your walk during your recent family visit. They all love and respect you and will support you, I'm very certain!

Good luck hun!!!!

MikeA
07-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Of all the people on this forum Jess, who might offer advice, I am probably the very least qualified!

But I have to ask, have Francene and her husband thought of "adoption"?

Brooke
07-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Jess, you really shocked me with that one! What a kind and lovely thing to do for someone and I know you are thinking it through and weighing your decision. Everyone here has given you many pros and cons. I really can't think of anything to add. I can only echo Nancy: Pray about it and if there is still any doubt, don't do it.

Koala
07-28-2010, 12:07 PM
WOW! Jess, what a big and difficult decision! I can‘t in the least imagining what is going on now all in your head, all the pros and cons about this decision!
If you have doubt, if only a few, don‘t do it! If not do it! Consider seriously before you make a final decision! I know you do this!

EagleLady
07-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Back from Eye doctor. Gonna get new glasses.

Glennsallnighter
07-28-2010, 06:44 PM
WOW!!! Its taken me nearly half an hour just to read all I have missed in the last 10 days or so since I last logged in. I hope I'm leaving nobody out as I reply! Firstly let me say that to anybody experiencing trouble or uncertainty that I am thinking of them.

Cami! I hope you are over the worst of your surgery and that you are able to make a full pain free recovery. But take it easy as well. You deserve the time you need to recuperate.

Danielle! I'm glad your Mom is feeling better. I hope she too makes a full recovery, and your friend as well. Have a wonderful time in college as well.

Nancy! Glad you have finally settled in Memphis. I hope you have many happy times there. From what I've heard it seems to be a wonderful city with a rich history! Good Luck.

Willie! How scary was Larry's episode last week. I'm glad he seems fully recovered. It possibly WAS the drugs he was on. And the heat!

EL! Glad you got your specs sorted out. They are so essential.

And Jess! All I can say is WOW!! What an unselfish caring offer you have made to Francene. I would tend to side with Willie and the 'go for it' team! I'm not saying that doing something like this isn't without its pitfalls but having experienced pregnancy twice I can easily say that it did not take a major toll on my body at all. Just that in the early stages I was a little more tired than normal. I used to nap for about half an hour when I got in from work in the afternoons. I wasn't sick at all, I just tended to prefer 'plainer' food rather than spicy food. I regained my prepregnancy weight easily enough and by the time I was going to London to see the Eagles I was lighter than I had been in 15 years. Pregnancy is a natural state for a woman to be in at some stage in her life, and women all over the world become pregnant in so many different circumstances. IMHO its not a life sentence and apart from cutting out alcohol and cigarettes the majority of women have very little lifestyle changes to make. Many come out of the experience as healthier people because they have watched their diet, cut out bad habits and exercised more.

Of course pregnancy is a different experience for every woman. You will have the advantage if you do this that you will not have a young baby to take care of either so you will have more time after the birth while you see out your maternity leave to get some rest and to do your exercises.

However, I would think carefully about how you would react when well meaning people who do not know your specific situation chat to you about names or plans for your baby. Or at a babycare class on your ante natal courses. Or when you pass a baby clothes/ equipment store, will you feel a bit left out that these will not be your choices? How will you feel as this child grows up as part of Francene's family? Its not like doing it for a stranger who you will never see again.

I guess, what I'm really saying is just to make sure that you make the right decision for yourself first. I'm sure you will do that. GOOD LUCK!!

ticky
07-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Jess, we've talked and you know how I feel and what I've got to say about it all. No matter what you decide, I will love and support you 100% :)

Now here's my lil bit of news... Okay, so for the past few days I've had a nasty tooth ache. I made an appointment to have it checked out. By the time I got there, I was pretty durned sore! The dentist gave me three shots of novicane (UGH) but my tooth was still pretty sore so she gave me another shot in the gums (ICK ICK ICK) and hit the sore nerve! I WENT THROUGH THE ROOF! I screamed and cried and shook and I was freaking out! So, she decided to medicate the tooth and then gave me a prescription for antibiotics and pain killers. I got home, I took both, an hour later I was still sore so I took some Ibuprofen and acetaminophen, it helped so I ate some left over spaghetti from last night for lunch. ALLA SUDDEN my throat started scratching and hurting and SWELLING! I broke out in hives everywhere and I rushed to the Urgency clinic. My throat was swelling shut. They gave me epinephrine, benadryl and steroids. It took another hour for the swelling to go down. Even now, it feels like I have a sore throat and it's hard to swallow. We're not sure what the allergic reaction was to, but most likely the spaghetti... GO FIGURE!? I ate it last night without a problem! Anyway, so here I am, I cant take any of my drugs,Im afraid to eat anything and Cliff wont let me go lay down and sleep till my throat is 100% open! I can understand, but Im sooooo tired!
Thats my excitement for the day. Now I've had enough med stuff for a while, Im done.

sodascouts
07-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Shoot, you poor thing! That sounds awful! Get well soon.

And Jess, I hope you know that I also support you no matter what you decide.

AzEaglesFan
07-29-2010, 02:21 AM
Ticky, sometimes it's a combination of things that can bring on an allergic reaction like the one you had. Take out some of the meds and you may have done fine. Hope you are doing better. Aren't you glad you have a hubby that worries about you.

tequila girl
07-29-2010, 05:12 AM
I can't reply to each individual 'happening' 'cos I get confused as to who said what :confused: :confused: but I just want to say....

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy."

Max Ehrmann

I think there are words of wisdom there to cover most of our situations :grouphug:

Oh yeah, and I broke my little toe on a supermarket trolley!! :???::cuss::lol:

TimothyBFan
07-29-2010, 08:30 AM
Geesh Rhonda!!!! Aren't you glad you got up yesterday morning? I sure hope you wake up this morning pain free and have a much better day than yesterday!!

TG---OUCH!!! Sorry to hear that!

Jess-Been thinking of you and the decision you need to make. :hug: There for you babe!!!

MikeA
07-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Dang Rhonda....I leave chat to go play golf and everything was fine. Good meds, good buzz....Life was GOOD! What the H#LL Happened!

Sure hope you're feeling better this morning! I'll open YIM and wait for you to struggle in! No meetings this morning.....Just Miles <LOL>

Troubadour
07-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Oh Rhonda, that sounds horrible! You poor thing. Big hugs coming your way. Take care of yourself. :hug:

Jess, I can't really add much to the 'advice' pile, but you know I'm here whenever you want to talk some more about it. There's certainly a lot to consider, but you're sensible - I know you're thinking this through carefully and discussing it with family members and friends, which is a really positive step. Surrogacy can be a wonderful thing, but the only thing I would say is don't feel pressured or 'guilted' into it by the joy you saw on Francene's face when you first mentioned the idea - she would only want you to do it if you were 100% sure. The other thing is, if you make a promise now to be their surrogate when they want to have another child - a multitude of things could have changed. In two-three years, you could be living with a guy, thinking of having kids of your own, or just not as keen on the idea. I know it's a hard decision, but just listen to your heart - you'll get there.

To Willie, and the others who were shocked about Jess's announcement... tell me about it! She phoned me to tell me, and I admitted that I'd been racking my brain and all I could think was "She's moving to Dallas!" I know it would be a big step for Jess to move away from her family. I was already formulating flat-share plans for the big city! Sadly, it was not to be! But it gave her and I a good laugh anyway.

Brooke
07-29-2010, 10:40 AM
tg, that was a beautiful poem. Thanks.

Ticky, I really didn't want to hear all that today. I've been having a toothache myself and have an appointment myself this afternoon. :shock: :fear: I hope you're feeling better today!

Koala
07-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Ticky hope your toothache is better today!
Brooke good luck at the dentist, I hope it helps!
TG, sorry to hear about your toe.

Prettymaid
07-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Ticky, you and dentists do not mix!

Brooke, good luck at your dentist appt. today.

Jess, I was patiently waiting to hear your news but never would have guessed this! What a loving gesture for you to even consider it. I don't have any advice except for this: What happens in our lives is not nearly as important as how we react to what happens in our lives. Whatever you decide, move through it with love. Good luck with your decision.

MikeA
07-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Dentists are EVIL

Eve
07-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Dentists are EVIL

They are not evil, just odd and cranky. I used to be a dental assistant, I know.

Let me tell you about patients...

MikeA
07-29-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm sure it's a matter of perspective. The dentist my wife and I go to has a clinic full of assistants...receptionists, dental hygienists, gophers...you name it. All of them told Verna that they wouldn't let that dentist touch them! And they get it free! We started going to him when he was still under supervision of a long time dentist (internship??) He just hasn't learned how to Dentist people!

We're changing! This guy did a root canal on Verna without putting her on antibiotics and the next day, she was dying! Rushed back in and he put her on that stuff that you have to eat yogurt with when taking it...it kills both the good and bad bacteria and you have to replenish the lost good stuff with yogurt. Verna hates yogurt! But did find some chocolate pudding loaded with the bacteria and got through it.

Eve
07-29-2010, 01:03 PM
I still have lots of friends in the dental field. I get the scoop on the good/bad ones.

One word from staff that they wouldn't let him touch them, I would have been out of there.

MikeA
07-29-2010, 01:13 PM
I don't know what it is with this guy. He did a marathon of work on my mouth. Almost all of the crowns and fillings he did have come loose or completely fallen out.

Think I'm just going to have them all yanked and wear Dentures! But he ain't gonna be doing it <LOL>

Brooke
07-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Well, I survived. So far. We'll know for sure when the Novocain wears off. He thinks it was a cracked tooth (although very minor) and put in a temporary filling. He took an x-ray and he couldn't find any other problems, so hopefully this is it. He will put a permanent filling in on my next checkup in a couple months.

I've gone to my dentist for 25-30 years and he's great. He doesn't have the fancy office and 10 assistants. He has had the same small office and chairs he started out with, one assistant and a bookkeeper, and has kept his money instead of spending it on fancy equipment. He's very frugal but he gets the job done and is cheap. I don't know what I'll do when he decides to retire.

sodascouts
07-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Awful teeth stories! YIKES! Here's hoping that you get well soon, ticky, and the rest of you get along fine.

I have been using my trusted family dentist for so long that I will actually wait until I have a visit to Texas to get any dental work done so that I can see him. Of course, if there were an emergency, I would be out of luck... guess I should try to find a new one.... a scary prospect in light of these tales!

Glennsallnighter
07-29-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm scared of dentists. Not what they'll do to me but how much it will cost. Its mainly all private care here. If I go even for a filling I come out with several appointments for other treatments.

Rhonda, I hope you are feeling much better, and Brooke, hopefully that tooth will not need any more attention.

Well I'm home a few days now and am organising my pics. Needless to say we had a great week in Portugal. It was great to be self catering as we could do exactly what we wanted rather than having to keep to hotel mealtimes and routines. The only 'hitch' we had was that we were done for extra baggage on the way out and had to pay an additional €60. We were more careful on the way home needless to say!

The Villa is gorgeous. Here are a few pics of it
From the outside
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Portugal%20Holiday%202010/IMG_1259.jpg

Dining area (Though we tended to eat on the patio by the pool)
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Portugal%20Holiday%202010/IMG_1254.jpg

Our Bedroom with a balcony
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Portugal%20Holiday%202010/IMG_1250.jpg

And the swimming pool.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Portugal%20Holiday%202010/IMG_1237.jpg
Laura and Chris loved it!

As I texted to Lou from the sunbed by the pool the other day: Heaven = hot sun, glass of Rose, good book and Glenn:heart: on ipod.

We actually DID leave the Villa most days and headed out to do some sight seeing
The Portuguese coast is full of these sea arches, stacks and caves. On Monday we took a boat trip along the coast to see them close up

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Portugal%20Holiday%202010/IMG_1302.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Portugal%20Holiday%202010/IMG_1573.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Portugal%20Holiday%202010/IMG_1566.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Portugal%20Holiday%202010/IMG_1564.jpg

The beaches are gorgeous as well
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Portugal%20Holiday%202010/IMG_1307.jpg

A bit of history :wink:
The walls of the old city of Lagos
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Portugal%20Holiday%202010/IMG_1329.jpg

Sunset at the most westerly point of Europe where this lighthouse is situated.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Portugal%20Holiday%202010/IMG_1486.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Portugal%20Holiday%202010/IMG_1474.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Portugal%20Holiday%202010/IMG_1475.jpg

Oh! And of COURSE, Portugal is an excellent destination for golfers.

I've only scratched the surface here, but it was wonderful and totally relaxing after what has been quite a stressful year so far. I'll definitely be back

sodascouts
07-29-2010, 07:59 PM
Wow, it looks magnificent!

Glennsallnighter
07-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks Nancy! It IS!!

Freypower
07-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Wow - Portugal is so beautiful. I wish I could go there again (my only visit was in 1972 & that was only to Lisbon).

Peekaboo
07-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the support on this, everybody. All of the advice and kind words really mean a lot. Each of you have given me plenty to think about and consider. I want to respond to each of yall and I'm gonna answer all of the questions and responses as best I can. I hope I don't leave anything out.

WOW--didn't see that coming!!

Actually, Willie, you guessed pretty darn close when you said that my news could be a "love child"

I will admit that my first thought while reading your initial post was same as everyone else's....what if Francene isn't able to raise another child because of her health... what if...what if... That would be my main concern.

There really are so many "what if's" in this situation. Thinking about all of the what if's sometimes gives me a head ache because my mind starts to really wander and I think i tend to think about it too much at times.

That being said, as far as your life on hold... NO WAY!!! Please, no one misunderstand what I'm about to say but until you are pregnant, you don't know how it affects your life.

Honestly, that's one of my worries. I've never been pregnant and not knowing how my body would react kind of scares me. But thankfully i have a wonderful support system in my family. The main person i would probably rely on would be my mother. Her nursing expertise really eases my worries when it comes to any medical situation. My mom is my rock.

It was worth every bit of change to bring another life into this world.

Another positive of doing this.

Honestly, I always thought I would of been a great surrogate because I'm one of those that enjoyed being pregnant and had no problems with it.

I hope that I would be the same way.

But I'm sure that before you become a surrogate, there are people you can talk to about it that have been there and done it. My advice is to talk to as many of them as you can.

That's my plan. I want to get as much information about this as I can. It's gonna take some time to do it but I want to be completely informed before making a decision.

Again, very emotional but it depends on the person and how they handle things like that. To be honest, I seriously think that next to Francene's health, this would be my biggest concern. Would you be emotionally be able to see this baby as often as you will after carrying it for 9 months and not be the mother but only a cousin?

I'm not saying that it's going to be easy but i really think that I can handle the emotional part of this.

I will say, sounds like you will have a lot of love and support no matter which decision you make. I keep thinking about what your father told you on your walk during your recent family visit. They all love and respect you and will support you, I'm very certain!

Good luck hun!!!!

I keep thinking about that walk with my dad too. I haven't told my dad about this whole thing yet and that's actually one of the hurdles I have to overcome because I'm a bit scared to tell him. When we had that talk it was about something completely different but after hearing him say that he'll always be there for me and support my decisions in life makes it easier for me when I decide to tell him. My first thought was that he would be mad about it but he would eventually come around to seeing it my way. If anything, I would make him understand. He can be a bit hardheaded at times but I've got the "i'm his baby girl" card on my side and I think that good talk we had a few weeks ago will really ease the situation when I tell him.

And Jess! All I can say is WOW!! What an unselfish caring offer you have made to Francene. I would tend to side with Willie and the 'go for it' team!

Thanks, Lisa. Like i've mentioned before, I go back and forth on this everyday. I was on the "against it" team yesterday but today I'm on the "go for it" team. Who knows which side i'll be on tomorrow or the next day. My decision changes (although it's not a final one) all the time when I start to think about certain things with this.

IMHO its not a life sentence and apart from cutting out alcohol and cigarettes the majority of women have very little lifestyle changes to make. Many come out of the experience as healthier people because they have watched their diet, cut out bad habits and exercised more.

That's one of the many positives that I can see about this. I do smoke right now but I know for certain that i would quit while pregnant and I would hope that being smoke free for 9 months will help me to quit for good. As far as alcohol, I do drink every now and then but i'm not much of a party girl. I've had my fun of going out to clubs and parties a few years ago so I'm pretty sure that's all out of my system. I only go out and drink with friends about once or twice a month so that wouldn't be hard for me to cut out for a while. And if i go through with the surrogacy, I know I would do it all right and be as healthy as i possibly can.

However, I would think carefully about how you would react when well meaning people who do not know your specific situation chat to you about names or plans for your baby. Or at a babycare class on your ante natal courses. Or when you pass a baby clothes/ equipment store, will you feel a bit left out that these will not be your choices? How will you feel as this child grows up as part of Francene's family? Its not like doing it for a stranger who you will never see again.

I've thought about that too. My first thought is that it would be so weird to say "Oh, it's not my baby." and trying to explain that i'm a surrogate but then I got to thinking that (if I do this) it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks. I don't think that I would feel left out of things because I already have in my head that it would not be mine. I know that it would be Francene's.

WOW! Jess, what a big and difficult decision! I can‘t in the least imagining what is going on now all in your head, all the pros and cons about this decision!
If you have doubt, if only a few, don‘t do it! If not do it! Consider seriously before you make a final decision! I know you do this!

This is definitely one of the most difficult decisions I've ever had to make but i've got a strong support system in my family and friends and that really helps out a lot.

Jess, you really shocked me with that one! What a kind and lovely thing to do for someone and I know you are thinking it through and weighing your decision. Everyone here has given you many pros and cons. I really can't think of anything to add. I can only echo Nancy: Pray about it and if there is still any doubt, don't do it.

Thanks, Brooke. Praying about it is one of the main things that i'm doing right now and I trying to think this through with a clear head.

Of all the people on this forum Jess, who might offer advice, I am probably the very least qualified!

But I have to ask, have Francene and her husband thought of "adoption"?

I asked her about that and they briefly considered it but they aren't sure if they would be a good candidate considering her diagnosis. I'm honestly not sure how much being diagnosed with any kind of cancer can affect the situation of being able to legally adopt a child but Francene said that she hasn't done a whole lot of research on it yet.

And Jess, I hope you know that I also support you no matter what you decide.

Yes, I do. And I thank you very much for the support.

Jess, we've talked and you know how I feel and what I've got to say about it all. No matter what you decide, I will love and support you 100% :)

Thanks, Rhonda. I really appreciate the advice you gave me. Thanks for listening and for the support. :hug:

To Willie, and the others who were shocked about Jess's announcement... tell me about it! She phoned me to tell me, and I admitted that I'd been racking my brain and all I could think was "She's moving to Dallas!" I know it would be a big step for Jess to move away from her family. I was already formulating flat-share plans for the big city! Sadly, it was not to be! But it gave her and I a good laugh anyway.

I must admit that I still have a little chuckle about that every now and then. Sometimes when i really think about it, it's really too bad that i'm not moving to Dallas. We could have some fun times sharing a place there.

Jess, I was patiently waiting to hear your news but never would have guessed this!

I told you it would be a shocker.

I've gotta get to work but if I missed any questions or responses to this topic i will respond as soon as I can. I know there's news from many Borderers here and I will also respond to those soon too. Again, thanks for the responses and opinions. It all really helps out a lot.

Koala
07-30-2010, 01:04 AM
WOW, Lisa, beautifil pics! Glad to hear you had a great time in Portugal!

ticky
07-30-2010, 02:05 AM
Lisa, Wow! what a beautiful vacation!! I truly admire you *G* I dont think I could have left that villa and the pool side *G* It looked like a little bit of heaven. Sounded like it too hehehe It just needed a handsome pool boy.. perhaps named.. hmm... I dont know.. something starting with a G maybe? and if he could sing and play guitar as well as bring you glasses of wine, rub on suntan lotion and massage your feet, all the better *G* (sorry, was just enjoying my own little Portugal vacation in my mind....)

I talked to my Doctor's nurse and he said the most likely candidate for the allergic reaction was the amoxacillin (sp?) so.. evidently Im allergic to all penicillins. They now have me on a different kind of antibiotic as well as prednisone, benadryl and an epipen for emergencies. OH and valium for tomorrow when I go BACK to the dentist for the THIRD time this week..

Eve, you're right, it's not the dentist, it's the patients.. but I still hate the dentist.. no.. she's actually very nice.. i hate GOING to the dentist.

Still, nearly dying this week has made a big difference. I wont go into depths about it, but everything they say about life being more colorful and things tasting better is true..you think I was a Pollyanna before.. *G* stand back.. Im going to sing the SOUND OF MUSIC and dance like Julie Andrews.. naked of course..

TimothyBFan
07-30-2010, 09:07 AM
I talked to my Doctor's nurse and he said the most likely candidate for the allergic reaction was the amoxacillin (sp?) so.. evidently Im allergic to all penicillins.

You know when you said antibiotic, that was the first thing I thought. Only because Katie is allergic to all the 'cillins also. She breaks out with a rash all over and has trouble breathing etc... Be very very careful from now on, because we were told that each time you have a reaction it can be worse than the last and if your spell was this bad....YIKES!!! You might want to get a medical ID jewelry so it doesn't ever happen by accident. Very scary Rhonda!! Good luck going back to the dentist again!

Lisa--I bet you guys had a wonderful time!!! Beautiful!!

MikeA
07-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Ticky: One Caution:

1. When you take that Valium, make sure you are already at the Dentists

2. Do not let the temptation for that "Dancing Thang" go to your head...might make it slightly difficult for the dentist to find the right orifice to concentrate on!

3. And the "Happy Naked Thang"; See #2 above!

Alright Already: I know I can't count!

Molly
07-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Wow, you guys! It doesn't stay "quiet" around here for very long, does it!

ticky, that had to be frightening. Willie is right about the reactions potentially getting worse each time. We have a friend who is uber allergic to seafood. He can't even eat french fries that have been made in the same oil as any kind of seafood (didn't know restaurants did that-but he asks that questions every place we go). He's had a "Pulp Fiction" episodes ala Epinepherine needle jammed directly into him. I'm a little nervous every time we go out to eat with him!

Be proactive and make sure that your care givers -the hospital you frequent, your family doctor's clinic, your dentist and any other doctors you visit all mark your medical records that YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO PENICILLINS. This is a common practice and they should have already done it- but it's up to you as the patient to make sure that every caregiver has the info and that it's clearly a part of your health information record. I would also check into a bracelet in case you are away from home and have an emergency where you can't speak for yourself.

Nancy-hope your tongue/mouth are mending. You've checked into finding yourself a local MD, right? Right? :eyebrow:

Jess-holy guns! That was quite an announcement. I'm not sure I know where to weigh in on this. The physical part of pregnancy can be tough, but you know, it's what women do. If you're getting good medical care and are healthy (stop smoking, young lady!) that part of it, I would imagine would be the "easy" part. It's the emotional and psychological part that mystifies me -the part I can't imagine.

I would also suspect that any good program would have you going thru a battery of psychological "tests" to see if you can truly prepare yourself for this.

I suppose my only advice right now would be-take it slow. All of you involved are young and have time to really really think this thru-and with Francene's good prognosis, that is what you are all counting on here, anyway.

And as others have already said, no matter what you decide, you have my support!

Molly
07-30-2010, 09:40 AM
Ooops, and after all that pontificating, I forgot to say thanks for the pictures, Lisa. Your trip looks like it was amazing. Very jealous as we've barely managed to leave our city so far this summer.

Brooke
07-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Lisa, your photos are absolutely beautiful! Portugal must be a lovely place! Sounds like you got lots of R & R and a great time with your family.

Ticky, wishing you lots of luck today at the dentist. My tooth is much better, but a bit tender today.

Soda, my kids do the same thing with our dentist. They plan their trips home with a trip to the hometown dentist! Our son was home for a few days over the weekend and managed to get in for a check up Monday!

TimothyBFan
07-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Just got off the phone with our son. All systems go and he comes home tomorrow (which is also his 20th birthday) after 7 weeks at the camp he was a counselor at. Had very little contact with him because they were so far out in the middle of nowhere. Filled me in some--he is now a certified archery instructor which is one of the things he's been teaching and he is certified in wilderness first aid-says he can make a splint out of a tree. :hilarious: The whole archery thing is kind of ironic because he has an uncle who is a huge bow hunter and Dillon is always giving him a hard time about trying to prove his manhood by killing defenseless animals. Uncle Terry is gonna love this, tho Dillon is the last person who would ever kill anything.

Hope everyone has a wonderful, nice weathered weekend!!

Prettymaid
07-30-2010, 05:35 PM
GA, those photos are beautiful, especially the sunset ones.

TBF, hope you have some good quality time with Dillon before he goes back to school. Happy birthday to him!

EagleLady
07-30-2010, 07:45 PM
My family is thinking about moving in a year or so. It will be hard

Prettymaid
07-31-2010, 10:14 AM
Where are they thinking of moving to EL?

EagleLady
07-31-2010, 10:38 AM
Somewhere else in Florida.

Brooke
07-31-2010, 01:47 PM
Guess what? I've bought an ipod! I can't believe it! Our little stereo that we used out on our deck quit playing cds, so we bought the ipod instead of a new one. Now I'm understanding what all they can do and thinking of the waste of all the cds I have made! I'm sure our kids are shaking their heads at us! :hilarious:

Good luck with your move El. I've never moved from my community, so I don't really know how hard it would be to leave friends. But I can imagine.

ticky
07-31-2010, 02:32 PM
Congratulations Brook! Im sure you'll love your new Ipod. I've had one for a while now and Im chomping at the bit to get a larger one. 8 gigs just doesnt hold ALL the music and audio books I NEED every day! hehehe

El, Moving is always hard, leaving your familiar home and going someplace new is difficult and I dont even want to think of having to pack!! (UGH) but maybe your new place will be even better. I hope it all goes well for you and the move is a wonderful adventure.

Willie! congrats to Dill! *G* I earned my sharp shooters medal in high school but I have never fired a gun at anything but a paper target. Even the ones with pictures of animals on them bug me. I can relate to Dillon. It's fun to shoot a gun or a bow and arrow, but not at anything that even resembles a living thing. Now fishing, that's a whole different story *G*

I Suffered through the dentist yesterday morning and Im sore as heck today, but Ill survive. My friend Marsha came over yesterday afternoon. I hadnt seen her since high school. Her daughter, Katie came with her and we had lunch and made pickled dill beans, chased some chickens around the yard, played in the garden and had an awesome time. Her son, Chris is about Jenni's age and we want to introduce them as they have some similar interests, but we'll have to see. I have a feeling Chris is much more of a sweet, shy country boy and Jenni, well, not so much,... hehehe still, it might be interesting.
Marsha had about 5 boxes of old canning jars she found in her barn when they moved into the old farm house they live in now, she brought them to me!! I have LOTS of jars! now I just need to fill em! *G*

Prettymaid
07-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Congratulations on moving into the 21st century Brooke! :hilarious: I remember when we bought ours, about three years ago, I was looking for something small that I could listen to in the bathroom and bedroom as I was getting ready for work in the mornings. I thought I was going to buy a small stereo or boombox! We ended up buying an Apple Ipod Touch with a Bose docking station. It has become our main source of music. We carry that sucker everywhere - into the living room, kitchen, out onto the deck and in the car!

Molly
07-31-2010, 04:03 PM
Brooke, I really didn't want an IPod , but when my boys chipped together and bought one for me a few years ago, I figured I'd give it a shot.

I just got a bigger one this past birthday and that bad boy goes with me everyplace I go. I have 2 docking stations (one for inside on for outside) and an adaptor for my car. I even have one of those goofy arm bands for it so I can take it with me biking or gardening.

Last Summer when I had to take that car trip with my mother in law, my IPod saved my life (and probably hers, too).

Enjoy!!

Helped my son dress up in a tuxedo a few hours ago. What a handsome young man he is (if I do say so myself!). He's standing up for his friend's wedding today. His hands were shaking while he was trying to do the buttons. I can't imagine why he was so nervous-other than he's never done this before.

We'll make a stop at the reception and then bug out to go home to change and then to a festival with some of our friends. The Eagles tribute band is playing tonight. Looking forward to it.

sodascouts
07-31-2010, 07:10 PM
Molly, I intend to find a local doctor as soon as I get a chance. It's just I've been really busy and besides, my new insurance doesn't kick in for another month. Regarding your son, perhaps his nerves are from imagining putting on that tux for a different wedding.... ;)

Willie, have fun with Dillon on his birthday!

Ticky, glad you are feeling better and hope you continue to do so. What a scary experience!

I used to disdain iPods as completely an unnecessary expense and an unromantic alternative to CDs, cold digital machines that certainly didn't have a CD's charm. Then, I won an iPod Shuffle. I just stuck it in a drawer. However, a few months later when it was time for yet another 17 hr flight to Saudi Arabia to visit my parents, I was faced with either yet again hauling a box of CDs and a Walkman onto the plane or tucking into my pocket this one little iPod. Of course, the iPod won out, and I was a convert from that day forward!

And while as of yet I have resisted the iPhone and Kindle for similar reasons, I wonder if one day I'll be a convert to them, too.

Troubadour
07-31-2010, 08:31 PM
EL, I hope everything works out for you and your family. Try not to get too stressed about the move - at least till it actually happens. We're here if you want to vent!

Happy Birthday to Dillon! Hope he had a fabulous day.

I've had a great few days. I saw Kris Kristofferson at Cadogan Hall in London on Wednesday, which was wonderful, and then my sister came down to visit on Thursday. We get on so well, and it's always lovely to get together and catch up. She's going through a bit of a conflict of emotions in her relationship right now, but I'm sure everything will become clearer for her in the weeks to come... All I can do is be here for her when she wants to talk. It's always hard to see your little sis going through a rough time, but she's sensible and she's really strong. I'm not worried about her. I just hope she follows her heart and that she feels happy with whatever decision she makes.

I went to the cinema today with my cousin Jarrod and his kids, Morgan and Beatrice. We saw Toy Story 3. It was brilliant, and they were as good as gold. I love seeing them, it always brightens my week! Morgan is going to be 5 in October and Bea will be 3. Bea is hilarious - honestly, spend five minutes with her and you will be in stitches! This is an example of a conversation I had with her today - typically surreal. As word for word as I can remember it.

Note: "Auntie Wuleez" is me. She struggles with Louise!

Bea: Auntie Wuleez... Where's Auntie Victoria?

Me: She's in the shower.

Bea: Where?

Me: In the bathroom.

Bea: Is she your friend?

Me: Well... she's my sister.

Bea: Oh. Do you have two? Or lots?

Me: No, just one sister. Just Auntie Victoria.

Bea: Do you have friends in the sky?

Me: What do you mean?

Bea: Jackson's in the sky.

Me: Who's Jackson?

Bea: Michael... Jackson.

Me: Oh yes... (trying not to laugh) You're right. He was a singer wasn't he?

Bea: Not any more...

My family was in stitches! She is too funny. And too cute!

MikeA
08-01-2010, 09:00 AM
I used to disdain iPods as completely an unnecessary expense and an unromantic alternative to CDs, cold digital machines that certainly didn't have a CD's charm.

I'm afraid that I was a holdout when Cassette Tape augmented Vinyl and then CDs replaced Vinyl! I had no problems switching to MP3 players. After all, the CD media not only changed the Vinyl media, but it also switched audio from analog to digitall....the players are nothing more than a more compact and solid state device.

My reluctance to the solid state devices was strictly a matter of capacity. I was really into motorcycle touring when they first started becoming popular and they were still expensive. Capacity was really limited. Instead of an MP3 player, I converted to Mini Disk for my bike trips. Problems with those though. They tended to "skip" pretty badly...not as bad as CDs on a motorcycle, but still frustrating.

Once we started getting high capacity MP3's, I jumpped all over them! You speak of "space issues" on an airplane, think how critical that space is on a motorcycle that you are riding on a trip for a week or two at a time!

Molly
08-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Nancy, I understand your comment about CD's vs. IPod.

I wonder how many people are like me and spend twice as much downloading some songs and then decide they just have to have that CD in their possession, anyway.

On the flip side, many more times downloading has saved me from purchasing an entire CD by an artist when I'd rather just have one or two songs.

Stars
08-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Yesterday I went to New York to see the Broadway show "American Idiot". It was absolutely fantastic!! I highly recommend it to anyone who loves the songs of Green Day. The cast did an amazing job interpreting the songs-their voices were awesome!:thumbsup: Now I wish I could see it all over again!:partytime:

Brooke
08-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I felt like many of you on the ipod. Just didn't think it was necessary at all. And still wouldn't have one if the little stereo hadn't quit. I was also a big hold out on cds. Didn't think they'd ever replace vinyls. :rolleyes: My son calls me a "lagger". Some term he learned in college.

Molly
08-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Here I have been singing the praises of the IPod for the past couple of days, and this morning on our Sunday bike ride -fiddling with mine while riding nearly cost me to totally wipe out!

I was not watching where I was going, trying to change the volume thru the plastic of my arm band carrier/pouch-and steer with one hand. When I looked back up, there was a smooshed critter lying partially on the trail that had his insides on his outside. YUCK! I nearly ran over something pink and gross.

I made some maneuvers that would have made a stunt bicyclist proud and have no idea how I managed to stay upright.

Freypower
08-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Guess what? I've bought an ipod! I can't believe it! Our little stereo that we used out on our deck quit playing cds, so we bought the ipod instead of a new one. Now I'm understanding what all they can do and thinking of the waste of all the cds I have made! I'm sure our kids are shaking their heads at us! :hilarious:

Good luck with your move El. I've never moved from my community, so I don't really know how hard it would be to leave friends. But I can imagine.

I have had my iPod since 2006 and I can't live without it. Mine is 60GB & holds 15000 tracks but I've only reached nearly 7600 so far. I am really looking forward to taking it on the plane next month (next month... do you believe that). I resisted downloading entire CDs for a long time because of this desire to have 'hard copies' but I do it now - for instance I downloaded two entire Bob Dylan albums, Oh Mercy & Love & Theft.

Eve
08-01-2010, 09:21 PM
I love my iPod and Kindle. I just could not imagine traveling without those two little devices. Just don't forget the plugs to keep them charged.

I love having the iPod connection in my car, and the dock in the garage for the treadmill. Even though the treadmill has the connection for it, I want the music LOUD!

I still buy the actual cd on occasion, but iTunes is fabulous.

Brooke
08-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Here I have been singing the praises of the IPod for the past couple of days, and this morning on our Sunday bike ride -fiddling with mine while riding nearly cost me to totally wipe out!

I was not watching where I was going, trying to change the volume thru the plastic of my arm band carrier/pouch-and steer with one hand. When I looked back up, there was a smooshed critter lying partially on the trail that had his insides on his outside. YUCK! I nearly ran over something pink and gross.

I made some maneuvers that would have made a stunt bicyclist proud and have no idea how I managed to stay upright.

Couldn't help but laugh at this, Molly! Glad all turned out well! Sounds like it would've been a cute YouTube moment! lol Uh, except for the pink stuff, of course!

MikeA
08-02-2010, 03:33 PM
I've seen a lot about those "Kindles" and they looked interesting. When we fly to Vegas, space is a real issue because we always take only carry-on luggage (airline charges $30 or $40 to check baggage!). I can't do without reading material so have a every nook in my computer case jammed with books. I have a Sony Erickson Walkman type phone with 8gb of memory that I have loaded up with MP3 format songs.

It'd be a real temptation to just start going digital with books. I love the audio format books but have trouble finding all of the ones I want in that format. I'm assuming that the text versions that Kindle uses would be more readily available.

ticky
08-02-2010, 06:13 PM
I have amazon Kindle for my blackberry. It's kind of a pain in that the screen is only about 2" but I do have a few books on there so if I get stuck someplace I always have a book to read plus Amazon has free book downloads for kindle daily. I also have two or three audio books loaded to my ipod at any one time and I always have one or two good ol paper books at hand. I much prefer this, but when Im doing dishes or working in the garden or running around, I always have the audio books :)

TimothyBFan
08-03-2010, 07:54 AM
I LOVE to read but am old fashioned that I want the book in hand. BUT I seriously looked into the Kindle about a year or so ago but didn't want to put out that kind of money at the time. They have really come down in price now and are sitting at $139.00 I noticed yesterday while preordering my Eagles book. In the long run, it would probably save money because I tend to buy books, read them and then just give them away to someone else. And the space I would save in not having hard copies everywhere!! Might seriously have to do this. Maybe it will be a request for Christmas this year.

I am an ipod fan and can't imagine my life without it. Just need a much bigger one and again debating about the price. I'm actually considering buying another smaller one and getting all my full discographies such as Eagles, Sweet, Zep, Cars, etc... on one and all the misc stuff on the other. I haven't decided yet.

Eve
08-04-2010, 12:49 PM
My espresso machine went out on me this morning. This is the third time we have had to send it back for repair. I mean, I know we use it a lot, but for the price the thing should last forever. At least they are going to replace it and also extend the warranty for free. They should send me a big fat Starbucks gift card for my trouble as well. I need my coffee.

ticky
08-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Eve- I FEEL your pain! I bought a pump-driven espresso machine thinking it'd be faster and more efficient but it's so temperamental, Im always babying it back into operation. Now I have one of the old stove top kind up at the cabin I use a lot and it's so much easier, but no steamer. I guess I should just invest in a decent espresso maker, but till I completely loose my patients with this one, I'll keep babying it along.

Willie, Im with you as far as reading goes. I love the feel of a book and I read a lot. The Kindle app on my blackberry just guarantees I always have a good read with me. I also have audio books loaded to my 'pod as well as music, but I can easily go through 3 audio books a day (depending on what Im doing). I refuse to take any of the music I have on my Ipod off, so I spend a lot of time reloading it with new books! *G* I need a bigger 'pod!

Eve
08-04-2010, 03:46 PM
This machine does everything except serve it to me in bed. I wanted a built in, but didn't want to lose the cabinet space. We should have gotten that Miele and lost the cabinet space. I would have a damn iced mocha in front of me now.

MikeA
08-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Yeah Eve, but if you'd gotten the built-in unit, wouldn't you be in a lot harder bind in getting a replacement?

I'm not too sure about anything "built-in". My mother had a wonderful double oven stove that was a built in. When it finally konked out on her, she couldn't find anything like it on the market. She ended up getting a regular stove with one oven and a monster vent-a-hood!

MikeA
08-04-2010, 05:26 PM
On a very VERY sad note, I was informed this morning that a regular and popular poster on another Forum I am a member of, took his own life last month.

No one, not a single person on that forum had any inkling that this guy was in such a depressed state. He had had some problems with a divorce and the death of his Father. His mother had inherited a sizable amount of money with her husband's death, but she buzzed through it with expenses incurred by a lot of plastic surgery and other non-essential (as far as we know and from what Chris had told us) expenditures and was depending on her son (and our friend) for everything. He was living on a trickle of 401K money and was unemployed and not old enough to draw Social Security. He did have some problems and that's for sure.

But with all that, he seemed to be dealing with it.

Folks, please, don't let life get to you like that. Reach out. Relationships developed on the Internet through these forums are REAL and the friends you make on these forums are REAL too.

As with ALL of you here on The Border, I never met Chris face-to-face, but had developed a friendship with him. There has just got to be a workable alternative to the action he took.

Eve
08-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Yeah Eve, but if you'd gotten the built-in unit, wouldn't you be in a lot harder bind in getting a replacement?

I'm not too sure about anything "built-in". My mother had a wonderful double oven stove that was a built in. When it finally konked out on her, she couldn't find anything like it on the market. She ended up getting a regular stove with one oven and a monster vent-a-hood!

Yeah, there is that problem. Our neighbor's got their Meile built in and shortly after that we got ours. (not a Meile) Does the same thing, but sits on the counter. They haven't had a problem with theirs. At least all we have to do is put it in the box and send it back. And go without coffee. We gave our son our Keurig and old Starbucks espresso maker so there would just be one machine on the counter. I think I'll have him bring one back. I need my coffee...

Troubadour
08-04-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, Mike. Incredibly sad.

sodascouts
08-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Wow, what a shame, Mike. I was about to post about my series of misdaventures today but now they seem pretty trivial.

Sometimes someone who posts regularly will suddenly stop and I always worry that something might have happened to them. One of the drawbacks of these internet relationships is that we can't really check on people unless we have their contact info outside of the board and even e-mail.

I remember one time, several years ago, Freypower was suddenly gone for several days - one of which was Glenn's birthday - and I was completely paranoid that something was wrong. I thought "Surely she wouldn't miss posting 'Happy Birthday' to Glenn!" But all was well. And one time, Dreamer and I were planning one of our trips when suddenly she wasn't posting or answering her phone for several days. I thought "surely she would call me back with this trip coming up so soon, especially since I specifically asked her to!" After three days, I actually called one of her relatives to make sure she was OK. All was well there, too, but what can I say - I worry!

Then there's occasions like your friend, Mike, when there really is something wrong. Suicide is always a tragedy - the cutting off of a life too soon, the pain of those left behind wondering if they could have done something to prevent it. I should make it clear that I only know of this secondhand, through my close friend whose father committed suicide, but I happened to be visiting her the night it happened and I remember her stepfather just saying to me in a low voice "I'm so angry at him - How could he do this to them?" as my friend and her mother sobbed. I know there are people on this board who have had to deal with this firsthand. I can only imagine how awful that is.

Freypower
08-04-2010, 07:49 PM
My uncle committed suicide and I'm afraid that anger was the only way I was able to deal with it. I am sorry, Mike.

Molly
08-04-2010, 09:06 PM
So sorry, Mike.

Sometimes in talking with others clues and parts of the puzzle can be assembled after the person is gone that if assembled beforehand, may have provided some inkling as to what was going on with the person. But trust me, even with the clues -you never think they will really go thru with it. It's a common mistake loved ones make and it's one filled with guilt that the family is left to cope with afterward.

Julie, anger is such a natural reaction, coz it's just something that is so hard to comprehend.

My brother took his life 9 years ago. I have days when I only think of the good times. I have days when I cry because I miss him. I have days when I'm angry. I have days when I still can hardly believe it really truly happened.

Rascall Flatt's song "Why" really really captures a lot of what those left behind feel. It was obviously written by someone who was touched by suicide.

"Oh why? That's what I keep asking. But, who am I to try to judge or explain?
Oh, I do have one burning question. Who told you life wasn't worth the fight?
They were wrong! They lied! Now you're gone, and we cry."

Koala
08-05-2010, 02:28 AM
Mike, I am sorry to hear about your friend.

AzEaglesFan
08-05-2010, 04:14 AM
Mike, so sorry to hear about your friend. I sometimes worry about our son, he just hasn't been the same since he was in Iraq. He has promised us that he would never do anything to harm himself but then he gets so angry. We just pray that he is getting the help he needs from VA.

TimothyBFan
08-05-2010, 08:50 AM
So sorry Mike. Depression is an evil thing and some people just can't handle it and feel suicide is the only way out. My cousin Denny committed suicide about 20 years ago. He had gotten in some legal trouble and was going to have to pay for it and instead of that, he took the easy way out. My Aunt Joyce was never the same after that. She ended up having drinking problems and we lost her about 2 years ago as a result while my mother laid in a hospital bed fighting for her own life. My mother had an infection of the spine and just didn't care whether she lived or not because she had lost my father 6 months previously and was battling depression also. I was so mad at Denny and then my Aunt also because they both didn't cope with things the way they should have and did a lot of damage to the rest of my family. My Mom was devastated when my aunt died because she felt that she didn't help enough. So she had that to add to her depression. It was a long struggle but my Mom came thru it thankfully. It can be genetic also which has always kinda scared me. You can only do so much for people that battle depression and they are ultimately the ones that have to take the help that is offered.

Speaking of family... Mom called yesterday morning to tell me that my cousin Cheryl Lynn had died in her sleep from complications with diabetes. She was a nurse and should of known to get in under control but always seemed to be dealing with other people's problems instead on concentrating on her own. He step father just died about 8 months ago. My poor Aunt Pat is a mess. My mother comes from a huge family and it just seems that it has been one member dying after another for about 3 years now, starting with my father, 3 years ago this November. Like Mom said yesterday, her generation is up there in years so that's to be expected but when you get the younger generation being lost, my cousin was 54, then it gets even more difficult to handle.

Prettymaid
08-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Mike, I'm sorry for your loss. As you said, even though you didn't know Chis personally, it's still a loss to you since he was a regular part of your life.

Sometimes someone who posts regularly will suddenly stop and I always worry that something might have happened to them.

I often think about this. If something happened to someone here on the Border, how would we know? I feel so close to many of you because we are in correspondence almost every day. I hate to think that someone could just stop posting and we would never know what happened.

MikeA
08-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Just thinking on the topic of suicide is depressing! Really didn't mean to detour the topic into that direction but this one hit at a very vulnerable time for me. After my brother's death last month, his wife has really been withdrawn. I am concerned about her and I guess Chris's demise just brought the thought of my Sister In Law to the forefront. But when one is shutting everyone out, how in the world can you break in and do anything for them? You can't.

Now, How 'Bout them Eagles!

Prettymaid
08-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Mike, don't worry about "detouring the topic". That's what this thread is for.

I have no advice for how to break down walls someone is putting up when you're worried about them. I guess just tell her the truth. You're worried about her and you don't want anything to happen to her.

Brooke
08-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Mike, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.

I, too, have wondered about 'regulars' that 'go missing' from here and am concerned about what's happened to them or why they have gone and am relieved when they come back. I was just worrying about Maleah not too long ago and voila, here she is.

I can't even talk about suicide. I think everyone, surely, has had thoughts of it, but most, thank goodness, get things straightened out.

EaglesFanatic
08-05-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. One good friend of mine that I've been going to school with since kindergarten had a very big loss last year. His father committed suicide, and nobody really knows why or how. It was so sad, because at the funeral, my friend was in such a state of shock, that he wasn't crying or anything. He just sat there. Every student at my school showed up to the funeral to support this family, even if they didn't personally know the father. Mike, I can understand your feelings, as I have seen others experience them too.

MikeA
08-05-2010, 12:48 PM
The forum was/is one that for advanced functionality, you have to be a "paying member". I'm one of the "scum" on that forum now since I've long since resigned from premium membership. However, Chris was paying a monthly premium for the forum.

The Webmaster discovered the situation when his automatic debit was returned as an unpaid item. He had met Chris in person and knew some of his friends and maybe family there where he lived and called one of them and found out.

All I can hope is that each of you maintains some private contact whether IM or eMail or phone with other members on the forum on a regular basis. At least that way, we would know whether to worry or not!

I'll do my best to notify you guys if I cash in....but that might be difficult if I'm out on the golf course and have a heat stroke. Still, I'll do my best to drag my carcass to my computer and post something <LOL>

Troubadour
08-05-2010, 07:03 PM
I do like the added 'security' of being friends with a few Borderers on Facebook. And having a few members' phone numbers. At least I would know if anything, God forbid, happened to one of them - and you guys would know if anything happened to me. I know I was freaking out a little bit a while back when Cathy hadn't logged on for a few days. Thankfully she was just having a little break (life gets busy, as we all know!) but it really did make me worry and think about her a lot. These may be 'online friendships', but they're as real as any other. We share our lives and we care about each other. After meeting quite a few of you and sharing some wonderful adventures, those bonds are even stronger.

Willie, I am so sorry about your cousin. Thinking of your family and your Aunt Pat in particular at this difficult time. :hug:

Prettymaid
08-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Awww Lou! :hug:

Koala
08-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Since I still have vacation (6 weeks are too long!)
I‘m going today to my sister because we will fly for some days to Copenhagen, tomorrow. Of course one of the first things I have packed was my iPod with all the Eagles and solo songs! I can‘t without this Stuff! Have nice days and be always careful everybody! See you in a few days!

Stars
08-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Have fun visiting with your sister, Koala! Tell us all about it when you get home!:thumbsup::partytime:

Prettymaid
08-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Bye Koala! :wave: Travel safely and have fun!

Brooke
08-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Have fun Koala! :wave:

Troubadour
08-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Have a great time in Denmark, Koala! Hope your sister's doing well. I'd love to go to Copenhagen.

MikeA
08-06-2010, 03:25 PM
I just installed a wireless doorbell. It didn't work. I must have wired it wrong.:brickwall:

Eve
08-06-2010, 04:07 PM
I just installed a wireless doorbell. It didn't work. I must have wired it wrong.:brickwall:

We have one of these doorbells that will play a tune. One of those gifts from the folks...It scares the crap out of me every time somebody rings the bell. But I have to get a ladder out to get up there to change the tune. It only gets changed when I get the ladder out to decorate the entry way ledges for holidays. I think it's playing some sort of Easter tune now. I always forget to switch it back.

I just worked out on the treadmill, now out to sit in the sun.

Brooke
08-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Mike, I had one of those that worked fine for a couple years, then when time to change the batteries it wouldn't work. :shrug:

Hubby has to work today so I get to mow the lawn by myself. p47, you're not the only one that has mowing to do! I should have done it Thursday, but put it off. Now we will have to sweep later. :-x We've had so much rain this summer that we've never gotten a reprieve from mowing like we usually do when it's dry.

We were supposed to go to his family reunion, but since he can't, I'm skipping it, too, and enjoying the weekend! :wink:

Molly
08-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Happy Saturday, everyone!

Heading out soon with my niece Jennifer to a concert this afternoon/evening -Country music singer Jimmy Wayne.

Some of you may have heard of his walk halfway across the country from Nashville to Phoenix to raise awareness of teenagers who "age out" of the foster system. He was in and out of foster homes nearly his entire childhood and ended up homeless as a teenager until an elderly couple who he was doing odd jobs for took him in (he lived with them for 6 years). They said he could stay if he "met them halfway". He had to cut his hair and go to church and go back to school.

He shares the story of his life in incredible detail in interviews, during his shows and in his music. It is heartbreaking and almost unbelievable that he survived. I followed his walk (via twitter, Facebook and Ustream) the past few months and the walk as well as his story has prompted me to get involved in his "Meet Me Halfway" organization. I come from similar family circumstances as he did and much of his story has literally felt like a smack in the head it's hit so close to home.

Anyway, he's and awesome singer/songwriter. He has such a beautiful voice! I know he'll share a lot of his stories with the crowd so I'm making sure I have kleenix with me. I can't wait to see him today!

www.ProjectMMH.org (http://www.ProjectMMH.org)

AzEaglesFan
08-07-2010, 01:48 PM
When I went for my walk the other day I noticed that US 60 was all lit up and couldn't figure out what was going on. Come to find out they had lights on so no one would run over Jimmy Wayne. If I had known he was coming thru town I would have gone over on the highway and cheered him on. I think what he did was great. I like his music too.

sodascouts
08-07-2010, 05:34 PM
What an amazing guy. "Meet Me Halfway" sounds like a terrific program.

Eve
08-07-2010, 05:58 PM
I puttered in the yard a bit today and noticed a few of my hanging baskets have the look of fall.

Cleaned out my car as we are driving to dinner tonight, but I am NOT washing the beast. It's raining anyway. :)

Glennsallnighter
08-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Since I still have vacation (6 weeks are too long!)
I‘m going today to my sister because we will fly for some days to Copenhagen, tomorrow.

Oh no they are NOT Koala :nope::nope::nope: I have 12 and cannot believe I only have 3 left.... still with loads to do. Have a wonderful holiday and travel safe. :bye:. And Julie, hope you are enjoying the preparations for YOUR big holiday.

Mike, and Willie, serious comiserations on your recent sad losses, and to all those who have lost people through suicide, illness or other causes I really feel for you. It is not easy regardless of the situation. I hope that those who have felt that this life was not for them have found peace elsewhere.

I must say as regards the ipod discussion...... I LOVE my ipod and wouldn't be without it, though I still buy the occasional cd. Like if Glenn :heart: were to release a new cd, I would definitely buy a hard copy.

I suppose I'm one of those Borderers who is MIA more than I should be! Its been an incredibly busy few weeks even since we came back from our holiday about 10 days ago. BTW, Thanks to everybody for the lovely compliments on my pics of Portugal. I think I took over 350 in all but I need to refine them and cull out the ones which are duds.
With Laura and Chris off school as well, the days are so full. Its parks, beach, playground, shopping.... We went to Toy Story 3 last Friday and then on Saturday I took them to their first GAA football match, Dublin v Tyrone. On a great note Dublin won and we had such a wonderful afternoon we have booked to go to the next round, ie Dublin v Cork. On a bad note the day was slightly marred in thatwhen we got back to the railway station I realised my car was clamped. I had thought the car park charge (of only €2) only applied Monday - Friday but it has become 24-7. the release fee? €120.

In addition we are trying to resurrect my husbands small business that folded during the recession (It was only an addition so he wasn't unenployed). Lots of office work for me.

So its not that I WANT to be absent! Just the way things are.

And yes, I too worry when I see people missing from the Board for a while when they haven't given any indication that the will be leaving. Funny I have been thinking of Maleah too, and Kate as well. Its always a relief to see people return. I'm in touch a lot with Lou and Monique by messenger and text/email. So if anything ever happened me, they'd hear of it. Hopefully nothing will, and we are all here for the long run.

Molly
08-08-2010, 12:23 AM
He broke a bone in the back of his ankle walking down the mountain into Payson. A stress fracture from putting his weight on his feet funny while coming down the 6 degree incline.

He broke it on Thursday -continued to walk of Friday,stopping to rest and ice his ankle. He was finally convinced that he needed to see a doctor on Saturday (with 5 miles to go). The doctor put him on pain meds and a put his foot in a walking cast and yes he actually did finish the five miles on Sunday -in tremendous pain.

I put a quick review and some photos in the concert section.

ticky
08-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Sorry guys, I know I've been kind of absent lately but Im here, alive and okay. Our big family thing is happening next week up at the cabin. For us, my family, it's a week long celebration with family and friends coming up and camping and the big to-do on Saturday. BUT,... before we go I have 6 batches of cookies, a pan of beef enchiladas, about 40 chicken wings, a blueberry buckle and salad of some kind to make, not to mention the 6 or 8 loads of laundry to do a chicken/guinea pig baby sitter and someone to water my garden to find! I've also been canning (6 quarts and 9 pints of Dilly Beans) and my friend gave me 4 big boxes of canning jars that have been in her barn for the last 30 years. They, needless to say, as slightly encrusted with .. uhh... something... SO.. I have to scrub them with steel wool before I wash them. Im going to give a lot of them to my Aunt and Cousins so they need to be in good shape before we go up to the cabin (My aunt and uncle live up there on a ranch).

IF anyone was wondering, we have a cookie baking contest at the big picnic (started with my cousin Rachel and I battling over bragging rights on chocolate chip cookies *G* then everyone got in on it and it's a big thing now) so my entries this year will be a brownie retrospective, three varieties, A dark chocolate mint, a chocolate cherry cheesecake and a peanut butter truffle, Then I make three types of cookies just for eating. (there will be about 4 families up there full time during the week so these are for everyone) Thats why Im making so many cookies... *G* and that's why I have been and will be absent! I will check in as often as possible.

MikeA
08-08-2010, 12:06 PM
All of a sudden, I realized that it is LUNCH TIME! Sounds like quite a Fiesta, Rhonda!

Wildthyme
08-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Ah yes, the annual Winberry Creek Cookie Crumble.... its become all out cookie war between those of us who participate. I am also bringing three different kinds to enter. Let's hope my cookies stand a chance against Rhonda and her brownies and cousin Jan and whatever magical cookie concoction she comes up with this year.... :rofl:

sodascouts
08-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Gee, those cookie tales make me wish I was in Oregon right now and related to ticky (only I'd just be eating, not cooking!)

Glennsallnighter
08-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Mmmmmm Rhonda, That all sounds sooo yummy! Have a wonderful time at the cabin.

TimothyBFan
08-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Rhonda----Will you adopt me?

Brooke
08-09-2010, 09:52 AM
ticky & wt, have a great time at the cabin! Sounds yummy!

Peekaboo
08-10-2010, 04:54 AM
Wow!! Lots happening around here lately!! I'm gonna try to catch up as best I can. I had to catch up on about the last 4 pages or so so my apologies if i've missed responding to any posts.

On the ipod topic...I LOVE my ipod. I have the old school ipod that I bought 4 1/2 years ago but it's still going strong. It's the 30gig Ipod Classic. I don't know what I'd do without it. I've got all of my favorite music, some videos and a few games on it. I used to take it with me almost everywhere but since I got a My Touch phone earlier this year i don't really need to because I can listen to my music on my phone.

Stars, I would love to see American Idiot. I heard that it's a really good show.

Koala, have a wonderful vacation. I'm wishing I could take another vacation right now. I could sure use a break.

Rhonda and Cami, have a great time at the cabin. And just so everybody knows, I've tasted some of Rhonda's cookies and they are absolutely DEEEEEELICIOUS!!!

Willie, i'm so sorry about the loss of your cousin. My best to you and your family.

Mike, that's so sad about your friend. My sympathies go out to his loved ones. I've never known of anyone or been personally affected by suicide until just recently. My little cousin, McKenzie, is going through this right now. Her father committed suicide this past friday night. I feel so horrible for McKenzie. I can't even imagine what she's going through. And she's so young too. She's gonna be 13 on August 26th. The funeral is on Wednesday so i'll be leaving tomorrow (well, later today since it's almost 4am here) to join her and the rest of my family for the prayer service tomorrow night.

I've been one of those lately that has been absent a lot. I'm usually not gone for long though. When life gets busy for me I still try to log on at least once a week. Ideally I would love to be on here everyday. I do get to keep in touch with other Borderers through phone or facebook so if something were to happen you all would know. One thing I started doing a couple of years ago was give certain phone #s to certain people in case something unexpected does happen. I had a situation a few years ago when I suddenly had to be hospitalized. I was in the hospital for 5 days. My family was with me, of course, but a few of my close friends were upset with me that I didn't call them and let them know. It wasn't a bad thing that they were upset with me, they were just worried. I was in too much pain and then too doped up on morphine to even think about calling anyone other than my parents. I live an hour away from my family so i've given my close friends my parents phone #s and I've given my parents the phone #s to my closest friends just in case, God forbid (because I'd hate to go through all that pain again), something like that happens again.

I've been going and going these past few weeks and I won't have a chance to just kick back and relax till at least next week on my days off from work. My cousin, Francene, just moved to Wichita last week so I was with her the two previous weeks helping her get everything packed. Her hubby got a better job there. I'm very happy for them but I'm sad that they had to move because it was only just last Oct. that we got Francene back home. She left for Cali with her hubby back in 2004 and then moved to New Mexico a few years later. So she lived away from home for 6 years and although it was under unfortunate circumstances for her reason to move back I'm glad that she's still close to home. At least Wichita is only a 3 hour drive for me so that's not too bad.

I'd like to ask for some prayers for my brother, Will. He was in a wreck about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Nobody else was involved and he walked away from it but he's been having a lot of problems with his head lately. During the summer Will works nights because it's so hot during the day time. He works 12 hour shifts for 6-7 days in a row and then he'll be off for 4-5 days. He was coming off of his last night of work and decided that morning to go fishing. So he was up all night working and was fishing all morning and part of the afternoon in the heat. On his way home he briefly closed his eyes and next thing he knows he hit a guard rail and was in a ditch. His truck wasn't totaled or anything but it was pretty banged up. It wasn't drivable at all. He doesn't remember hitting his head but he's been having really bad headaches and feeling dizzy and light headed. I told my SIL that he might have a concussion. She said that he keeps forgetting things and just hasn't been himself. Will can be very stubborn when it comes to going to the doctor but his wife finally got him to go. They did an MRI on him and for the life of me I can't remember what they said it was called but it's something like having a bulging disk in your back but it's at the bottom of his brain near the spinal cord. They said that he was probably born with it but the wreck he was in just aggravated it. Will has to get some kind of brain MRI and will be seeing a neurologist but there's a possibility that he will have surgery. He's doing okay right now and from the way my mom explained it all to me it doesn't seem to be too severe. If my mom is calm about it then that makes me calm about it. Of course, she is a nurse and knows how to explain things in a calming way but i believe that everything's gonna be okay.

TimothyBFan
08-10-2010, 07:16 AM
Thoughts are with Will, Jess!! Hope all works out. Sounds scary.

MikeA
08-10-2010, 08:13 AM
Wow Jess....thoughts going Will's Way! Sure hope they find what is causing those headaches. Is he going to be able to work now?

ticky
08-10-2010, 11:26 AM
God Bless, Jess. MY thoughts and prayers are with you and Will.

sodascouts
08-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Will is in my prayers, Jess!

Koala
08-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Jess, my thoughts and prayers are with Will.

My holiday in Denmark is over, Copenhagen is a beautiful City!
We have visited a lot, including several castles and churches (from both there a lot, my feet still hurt from the whole walking, lol), we were in the Hard Rock Cafe, at the zoo, we have made a boat trip and we were in the Tivoli (an amusement and recreation park) etc.
We also had luck with the weather, only one day it has rained, on this day we were in a shopping centre.
Now I have still 1 week off, I must slowly prepare me for the work!

ticky
08-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Hey Koala, Copenhagen sounds beautiful and your vacation sounds like a great time! It's nice that you have another week of vacation to ease back into your work routine. Enjoy your time off!

We're just about to hit the road. I just need to run out and water the garden then pack a few more things and we're off for the week. The weather report says it's supposed to hit the 90s this week so there is NO better place on earth to be then the river!! Cami's coming up tomorrow (morning I hope... *G*) and I am so looking forward to us having some serious toe dangling time in the Winberry! My brother said he's worked on the "Round" (for those of you who've read my Cabin story) and it sounds exactly like what I described in the story!!! WOW.. maybe Im psychic!! if that's true... *G* wow.. hehe okay, we're off for sun and river fun :) have a great week everybody!!

Brooke
08-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Have a wonderful time, ticky! :wave:

Jess, I hope everything turns out ok with your brother.

sodascouts
08-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Glad you had a good vacation, Koala, and I hope ticky and Cami have fun on theirs! Sounds like it's a given.

I'm getting settled in to my new home. One of my colleagues took me today to sample Memphis' "famous barbecue." I honestly don't like barbecue (I know, I'm the only Texan in the world who doesn't like barbeque), but I figured I'd give it a shot. After all, it's supposedly world-renowned!

I had myself all psyched up to like it - but no, even world-renowned barbecue isn't doing it for me. Back to burgers!

TimothyBFan
08-12-2010, 09:01 AM
I love barbecue and when I make it to Memphis, you will have to get barbecue one more time! You always see Memphis on all those food channel stations when they are talking about barbecue so have to try it while there. Plenty of places all over down there for it right? That blonde guy on Food Network, think his name is Guy, who does Diners, Drive-ins & Dives was at one a couple weeks ago. Looked fabulous!!

Welcome back Desire!!! Glad you had a wonderful time.

Ticky, I know you are already gone, but hope you have a great week with the family!!

Getting geared up here for school to start on Monday!!! YAY!!!! Daughter's senior year. Been making visits to Art schools for her and she just made arrangements to go to Vancouver Canada in December to visit the Art Institute up there. Bad time of the year to visit Canada weather wise, so we will see.

Speaking of daughter, I've calmed down a bit now so I can even post it. Katie got her license last Friday. She's been driving either my SUV or her brothers car around since while we look for one for her. She and a friend took off to go fill out some applications at an outlet mall about 45 minutes away Tuesday night. She called on their way back. Some idiot ran a stop sign and hit her. She saw him coming and was just pulling away from the 4 way stop herself, so not going very fast, slammed on the brakes and he scraped the front of my truck and tore off my Eagles license plate (d*mn him!!). She pulled over and got out but people that saw it happen told her he kept on going, didn't even slow down! Her & her friend were ok and the damage looked worse than it was because he had those great big wheels and tires and that's what scraped it so Larry was able to buff most of it out, no dents. Her friend Perry, went out into the middle of the road and picked up my license plate and Hotel California frame and Larry was able to straighten it up and put it back on. She was pretty shook up when she called. It happened in a neighborhood around the mall that isn't good at all so when she called and Larry was sure she was ok and the guy didn't stop, Larry told her to get the heck out of there, didn't want her standing around in that neighborhood. I was so relieved to see her pull into the driveway but then woke up so mad yesterday to think someone would do that and not stop to make sure they were ok or anything! What a jerk!!! I just hope she doesn't get so scared she doesn't want to drive anymore. Time will tell I guess.

MikeA
08-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Those kinds of accidents are traumatic enough when all the players in the scene do stop and do the right thing. To have someone hit and run like that is just unfathomable! I don't suppose anyone got a license plate number on the other vehicle? Hopefully someone got a good description of the hit and run vehicle. It is possible the police can catch him.

Sorry it happened. Glad that the kids were both okay and damage minimal to your car. <sigh>.

Brooke
08-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Soda, how can you not like bar-be-cue?! I love it! And Memphis' is legendary! :headscratch:

TBF, glad to hear your daughter is ok, but geez! The nerve of that guy! I hope you can catch him. Any kind of car accident is so upsetting. And I'm so glad the Eagles license plate was salvaged! :thumbsup:

Koala
08-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Willie, what a shock for you all, I'm so glad to hear that Katie and her friend are ok!

Stars
08-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Willie, I am so glad that Katie and her friend are all right-what a shock that must have been. I remember when my son first started driving, what a nervous wreck I was. Hopefully, she will be able to get behind the wheel again soon. And I'm glad you were able to save your Eagles license plate!:thumbsup:

I had quite a night last night. I was working til 8, when my boss began to have very bad stomach problems. She said she wanted to go to the hospital, so I offered to call an ambulance. She didn't want that, so I offered to drive her there. Long story short, we were in the ER from about 8 last night til 3 am this morning!! The good thing is, it doesn't look like there is anything serious wrong, but they do want her to see her gyn. What a time! During all those hours, we got to know each other quite well!:)

Brooke
08-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Stars, what a night! I hope she will be ok.

Troubadour
08-13-2010, 02:21 PM
I hope your boss will be alright, Carla. What a night for you! Very kind of you to drive her to the hospital.

Willie, as I said on FB, I'm really sorry Katie experienced that. How scary! And what a coward the other driver was. I hope her confidence picks up again soon, although it's understandable that it would be knocked.

Glennsallnighter
08-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Oh Willie! I'm so glad Katie and her friend were ok. That at the end of the day is the most important thing. It may clip her wings for a few days but I'm sure she will be a confident driver. We all have a little tip when we are starting out! Hopefully for Katie thats it.

Carla, I hope your Boss is ok after her check. I see your A&E queues are as long as our ones. Your boss really owes you one!

Buildabear opened its 2nd Irish outlet today in our local shopping centre. Needless to say, after watching the 'opening ceremony' we were soon €50 lighter and 2 bears heavier!

TimothyBFan
08-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks everyone! She went to Chicago today and drove my truck 5 minutes away to the train stop. But she's on her way home on the train now and wanted me to come down and get my truck because she doesn't want to drive it home and come back down and get her when her train comes in. This could be a long haul. She took drivers ed 2 years ago and then didn't drive for a year. She said it scared her and only 5 months ago took it up again so she could get a job out of our small town. I fear this might have sent her backwards yet again.

Wow Carla--what a long night for you huh? Hope it all works out.

GA--Build a bear has gotten our fair share money. :hilarious: Little story--as you guys know, I watch kids and many years ago I made a comment to a couple of kids that came here that I would of loved building myself a bear and dressing it when I was a kid. The Christmas after that, the family gave me a $50.00 gift card to Build A Bear. I knew I'd be to embarrassed to go by myself so I packed my daughter, the girls that gave me the gift and a couple of little girls I sat for in the car one day and we went. Had a blast and I came home with a (you will love this GA!!!!) white bear with green shamrocks all over him wearing Notre Dame boxer shorts, a Notre Dame tshirt, high top sketcher shoes and jean shorts. On his birth certificate is the name Rockne O'Leary! He was very IRISH!!!

sodascouts
08-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Carla - wow! You probably saved her a lot of money by driving her, though. I remember an ambulance trip I took of about four miles cost around $3000 before insurance - and all they did was staunch bleeding and give me an ice pack for my head!

Koala
08-14-2010, 02:30 AM
WOW, Stars what a night for you and your boss! Hopeyour boss will be ok.

In Copenhagen was also a Buildabear (with me nearby there is no Buildabear), I wanted to make one, however, could not decide me, how he should look so I have made no!

Stars
08-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks, everyone. My boss seemed to be feeling better yesterday-they did give her some heavy duty pain killers! I hope she follows it up with a visit to her gyn. It's better to "nip" these things in the bud!
Soda, I didn't realize that ambulances were so expensive! I wonder if she realizes how much money I saved her?:shock:

Prettymaid
08-14-2010, 05:39 PM
That's probably why she turned down your offer to call an ambulence Stars!

TBF, just now able to respond to Katie's "near serious", as my Dad would call it. What an a**hole that hit and run driver is! Glad she's okay and hope she is able to get behind the wheel again soon.

Glennsallnighter
08-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Carla - wow! You probably saved her a lot of money by driving her, though. I remember an ambulance trip I took of about four miles cost around $3000 before insurance - and all they did was staunch bleeding and give me an ice pack for my head!

WOW!!Soda! I can't believe it! How can 'ordinary average guys' in the States cope with emergencies? Does everybody have insurance? and is it expensive? In Ireland an ambulance is free, as is fire cover. They are funded by the local authority. The rationale is that nobody can be denied an emergency service, and it wouldn't be fair to people who couldn't afford it not to have such a service available to them. My hubby as many of you know is a Station Officer with Dublin Fire Brigade and in 20 years has never heard of a person paying for such a service. He sent me out an ambulance when Chris broke his arm 4 years ago and I was not charged so I have personal experience. Yes, an odd person here and there has abused the service but generally they are only called when they are needed.

Willie, your Build-a-bear sounds soooo cute. Have you a picture of him? I could buy the whole shop. This is the one the children made for me for my Christmas present last year. THEY named him 'Glenneagle' after 'Mummy's Favourite band and her favourite singer in that band'
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/GlennEagle.jpg

TimothyBFan
08-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Here you go.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/downsized_0814001847.jpg

Shh--Don't tell anyone that I'm posting one with his pants down!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/downsized_0814001848.jpg

Glennsallnighter
08-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Awwwww Soooo cute Willie! He's gorgeous.

sodascouts
08-14-2010, 08:25 PM
WOW!!Soda! I can't believe it! How can 'ordinary average guys' in the States cope with emergencies? Does everybody have insurance? and is it expensive? In Ireland an ambulance is free, as is fire cover. They are funded by the local authority. The rationale is that nobody can be denied an emergency service, and it wouldn't be fair to people who couldn't afford it not to have such a service available to them. My hubby as many of you know is a Station Officer with Dublin Fire Brigade and in 20 years has never heard of a person paying for such a service. He sent me out an ambulance when Chris broke his arm 4 years ago and I was not charged so I have personal experience. Yes, an odd person here and there has abused the service but generally they are only called when they are needed.

I used to naively assume ambulance rides were free when I was young. That was before I took one myself and got the bill in the mail. Currently, many people don't have insurance and medical emergencies either put them in serious debt or bankrupt them entirely.

Glennsallnighter
08-14-2010, 09:22 PM
My goodness. I had no idea!

Molly
08-14-2010, 10:11 PM
Our neighbors had a small fire in their kitchen a few years ago. They actually had the fire out by the time the fire department arrived (we live about 4 miles from the nearest firestation and not within the city limits). Their bill just to have the firemen/truck dispatched and have them take a look around to make sure the fire was out was $3,000.

Stars
08-15-2010, 05:22 PM
I am feeling so sad right now. I just received an e-mail from the daughter of a penpal of mine who I have been in touch with for sixteen years. She told me her mom died this afternoon of a massive heart attack.
Even though MJ and I never met, we had a close relationship through first letters in the snail mail, and then e-mails. I considered her to be a very good friend. I will miss her so very much.
Has this ever happened to any of you? I am absolutely devastated.:cry:

Troubadour
08-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Oh, I am so sorry, Carla. How sad. :hug: My thoughts are with you. We all know how valuable online friends/penpals are, whether we have met in real life or not. The loss is very, very real. Sixteen years is a long time - it must be a terrible shock. We're all here for you.

tequila girl
08-15-2010, 05:43 PM
So sorry to hear your sad news Carla - as Lou said 16 years is a long time for a friendship to continue, wether you had met or not is really quite irrevelent :-( my thoughts go out to you and her family x

Brooke
08-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Carla, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. You and her family are in my prayers.

Ga and Willie, your bears are so cute!

sodascouts
08-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Carla, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's death. With the advent of the internet, friendships where the two individuals never meet have become almost commonplace - you probably knew her heart as well, or better, than those who met her in person. I'm glad the daughter let you know so soon (as we were talking about earlier, it sometimes is difficult to know when major things happen to people you don't see, and you might learn about them far after the fact). I will pray for you and the family.

Stars
08-15-2010, 11:47 PM
Thank you everyone for the love, support and prayers regarding my friend. I am still in a state of shock and can hardly believe the sad news. Soda, you are so right that it is good her daughter let me know so quickly. If I didn't hear from her for a while and no one let me know, I would really be worried and not know what was happening. I know she was very close with her daughter and husband, and my prayers are with them right now. Thanks again, everyone. It means so much to me that you are so kind and supportive. God bless all of you.

Koala
08-16-2010, 01:35 AM
Stars, I'm so sorry to hear the sad new about your friend!

TimothyBFan
08-16-2010, 07:59 AM
Carla-I also am very sorry for your loss and agree with everyone when they say it's just as devastating no matter the circumstances. We touched on this a bit a couple weeks ago when Mike lost an internet friend also. I feel just as close to some of the people I know on the internet as I do some of my friends I see in person periodically. You are in my thoughts.

MikeA
08-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Carla, I didn't see this until this morning (Monday). My sympathy is sent your way.

GlennLover
08-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Carla, my prayers are with you. I know that this is a real shock to you. Time will ease the pain, but I know that is little consolation right now. As was said earlier, we are here for you. :hug:

ticky
08-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Carla, God Bless, my thoughts and strength are with you.

Well, Im home and Im tired. We had a wonderful time. Another terrific picnic. We thought it would be smaller then usual as many people had said they wouldnt make it, however, the actual body count *G* came out to be about 50 people so it's about the same! It was the hottest day of the year so we spent a LOT of time in the river. It was hot and beautiful and tons of great food and wonderful friends and family. Cami *G* brought me a case of peaches from their fruit stand and I will be canning them for the next few days, but right now Im making my cousin Jan's recipe for blueberry peach pie! The first of the season! YAY!!
Good to be home, but Im exhausted. I have a few loads of laundry in my near future so Im off to get clean!

I forgot to add the link to the photo album! Sarah's Picnic 2010 (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=74517&id=1145190649&l=7c1770b96d)

GlennLover
08-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Glad you enjoyed your weekend, ticky! Exhausted & you're making pies! i wish I had a quarter of your energy! Blueberry peach pie? I've never heard of it but it sounds yummy! :)

Brooke
08-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Wow, ticky! What a beautiful place! Thanks for sharing your pics with us! Sounds like a wonderful time!

Blueberry peach pie sounds wonderful too! I'm hungry now! lol

Koala
08-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Welcome back, ticky! The pics looks great. And yes Blueberry peach pie sounds fantastic!

Prettymaid
08-17-2010, 01:20 PM
I haven't been able to get on here much lately but I wanted to extend my condolences to Stars and welcome back Ticky.

Peekaboo
08-18-2010, 06:39 AM
Carla, I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend. That very thoughtful of her daughter to get in touch with you so soon. My thoughts and prayers go out to her loved ones.

Willie, I'm glad that your daughter is okay after that car accident. Hopefully she'll get the courage up to get back on the road again.

Rhonda, those pics are wonderful. I love the scenery ones. That whole area there looks so beautiful.

Thanks for all of the thoughts and prayers for my brother, Will. I've got some good news about that situation. So far it looks like Will is in the clear. He had an MRI done on his brain last week and the results didn't show what the CAT scan showed. After he got the CAT scan the doctors thought he had something called Chiari Malformation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold%E2%80%93Chiari_malformation) but the MRI didn't show that. Thank goodness he doesn't have that because he probably would've had to have surgery. He's still having bad headaches and dizzy spells but mom says that it's gotta be from the concussion.

Wow Jess....thoughts going Will's Way! Sure hope they find what is causing those headaches. Is he going to be able to work now?

He took a few days off after the wreck and then went back to work even though the doctor told him to "Take It Easy" and rest. He's one of the bosses where he works so he's been able to lighten his work load and put it on his workers to pick up the slack. I'm sure the concussion would be much better by now if he had taken the proper amount of time off but he's just so darn stubborn at times.

Stars
08-18-2010, 07:37 AM
Thank you everyone for your condolences and the kindness you have showed me. I am hoping to stay in touch with my friend's daughter. I am sure she must still be in shock over her mom's sudden passing.
Peek, I was glad to hear that your brother Will is in the clear. I will pray for a complete recovery for him. I know what you mean about him being stubborn. My hubby is the same way. They tell him not to return to work after a colonoscopy, but he insists on going back!:worried:

Prettymaid
08-18-2010, 10:05 AM
My hubby is the same way. They tell him not to return to work after a colonoscopy, but he insists on going back!:worried:

I'm confused Stars. Isn't a colonoscopy a simple, painless procedure that allows you to return to normal almost immediately?

Brooke
08-18-2010, 10:13 AM
It is, but they put you out and you're not supposed to drive. I wouldn't suggest trying to work the rest of the day. Can't imagine that. But yeah, no pain.

ETA: And NOT fun!

Prettymaid
08-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Oh, I see... she meant the same day! Thanks Brooke! I had one last October and as everyone warns, the prep is definitely the worst part! But other than that, no sweat.

MikeA
08-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Don't let 'em fool you Cathy! The stuff they put me out with knocked me completely out! Woke up starving and dying for a cup of coffee! You know, the preparations for the procedure....well, it leaves you with that extreme EMPTY feeling.

Anyway the anesthetic they gave me left me with short term memory loss for a couple of days. I couldn't remember anything Verna told me from minute to minute and it drove her crazy answering the same questions over and over!

I was in NO SHAPE to drive. I'd have forgotten where I was going.

Prettymaid
08-18-2010, 10:25 AM
They claim the stuff they gave me did not put me out, but I wouldn't remember any of it, and that was exactly what happened. I was immediately alert but could remember none of it! :thumbsup:

Molly
08-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Carla, so sorry to hear about your friend. I kept in touch with a pen pal for more than 10 years before we let our busy lives get in the way. I know how close that person can become. You have me thinking about her and wondering how she's doing.

Willie-how scary! So glad your daughter is OK. Hopefully she can put this behind her and work on building up confidence and experience behind the wheel. I still worry about my kids even though they've been driving for years. I rode with my 24 year old just yesterday and had to grab the door handle a few times and hang on! Guess I should keep worrying!

ticky-I can't let my husband ever ever read your posts. I've tried canning and just didn't like doing it. Baking isn't high on my list of things I do, either. Hubby would love to hang out in your kitchen! Can I send him to you? No hurry in sending him back.

Peek -hoping your brother's concussion is clearing up by now. It can take time-and there's a condition called "post concussive syndrome" that can hang around for a while. Peter has had his bell rung playing football and I remember how he would feel much better and then go thru a few days of bad headaches. It lasted for a few months. Fingers crossed Will's doesn't last that long.

Your going back to work colonoscopy talk made me thing about the time my oldest brother, David went back to work the same day he had his vasectomy. :headscratch: Not sure what he was trying to prove.

Glennsallnighter
08-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Carla, my sympathies on the loss of your dear friend. Whether you have met or not is irrelevant. You were close and your life will feel emptier for this. I'll pray for her and her daughter.

Rhonda! Welcome back! Glad you had such a good time at the picnic.

Peek, Glad there is nothing serious wrong with your brother. I hope the headaches go soon.

I'm very BBF. I'm doing a full time course in creative photography. Its brilliant, but with lots of field trips and computer work, its exhausting!

tequila girl
08-20-2010, 10:05 AM
After having the house on the market for 18 months it looks like I finally have a buyer.....Please keep your fingers crossed for me that the sale goes through!:pray:

GlennLover
08-20-2010, 11:48 AM
After having the house on the market for 18 months it looks like I finally have a buyer.....Please keep your fingers crossed for me that the sale goes through!:pray:

Fingers crossed, TG!

MikeA
08-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Has a "closing date" been set TG? I know the anxiety right now! Lots has to happen. Probably an inspection by specific agencies involved in granting the buyer's financing, other qualifications......I DO SINCERELY HOPE EVERYTHING GOES WELL AND THAT BOTH YOUR HOUSE AND THE BUYER QUALIFY FOR THE CONDITIONS OF THE TRANSACTION!

tequila girl
08-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks GL and Mike :thumbsup:
No, no closing date as yet, it's still very early days and as you say still lots of stuff to go through first. :fear:

Troubadour
08-20-2010, 01:28 PM
Got my fingers crossed for you, Carole!

Prettymaid
08-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Fingers and toes crossed TG!

GA, I'm so envious of you learning photography. I hope you post lots of your work so we can see!