PDA

View Full Version : Happy 35th Birthday "One of These Nights"

Ive always been a dreamer
06-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Well today we begin our week of celebration for the 35th anniversary of the release of the "One of These Nights" album.

This is the album that propelled the band toward superstardom and garnered them their first grammy for Lyin' Eyes. It was also, of course, the last album that Bernie Leadon appeared on.

Please feel free to post your thoughts about the album throughout the week. We will also begin our "One of These Nights" Survivor Game this evening to celebrate as well.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ONE OF THESE NIGHTS!!!

TimothyBFan
06-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Listening to it one last time before game starts tonight. This album was my 2nd favorite Eagles album until LROOE came out and sometimes it still is and other times, it moves to #3. What can I say? I'm fickled!!! :p I received this album for my 12th birthday a month after it came out. Quite a feat when you grow up in the middle of nowhere and knew parents had to make a journey to a record store several miles away to get it for me. Bless good ol' Mummy and Daddy!

This album includes my all time favorite Eagles tune and my all time least favorite Eagles tune. Talk about all over the place huh?

The first time I heard One Of The Nights (the song) it was my favorite Eagles song ever, for about a year and them Take It To The Limit moved into that place and stayed there. Don't really know why I switched it up. I do believe it was Randy's voice to be honest. I thought he was the bomb!

Lyin' Eyes really struck me when it first came out also. Didn't want to like it because it sounded to country to me and after listening to my Mom's country, didn't want anything to do with country. But I was intrigued also because I knew the woman in the song was doing naughty things, wasn't quite sure what they were but knew it wasn't good! (hey I was 12!). :hilarious: Is now at the top of my Eagles favorites list.

Don't want to say to much more, or else I will give my whole Survivor strategy (yeah RIGHT!:roll:) away. But Journey Of The Sorcerer---what were they thinking? JK--but I remember hearing it and thinking "Eagles are suppose to SING!!!". :hilarious:

luvthelighthouse
06-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Well, I LOVED Lyin' Eyes before I even "knew" who the Eagles were! TBF, I actually tend to like songs with "naughty" themes... Shh... don't tell...

TimothyBFan
06-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Well, I LOVED Lyin' Eyes before I even "knew" who the Eagles were! TBF, I actually tend to like songs with "naughty" themes... Shh... don't tell...

Did you miss the part where I said it is now at the top of my favorites? :hilarious:I figured out what she was doing and I liked it!! (yeah I said that!) I now LOVE naughty songs also and naughty rock n rollers!! :heybaby: I'm not 12 any more baby!!

Prettymaid
06-10-2010, 11:29 AM
I received this album for my 12th birthday a month after it came out. Quite a feat when you grow up in the middle of nowhere and knew parents had to make a journey to a record store several miles away to get it for me. Bless good ol' Mummy and Daddy!

Once again, I am amazed at your memory and how you can connect the album with your twelfth birthday. I don't think I can remember (except for recent ones) when I got any of my music. I do have snapshots of memories of certain songs, like sitting in my car with a friend at a red light on Main Street when I was eighteen singing along to Bob Seger's Night Moves, or driving down to Florida in a van with four friends when I was nineteen playing Jackson Browne's new album Running On Empty constantly (it was the soundtrack of that trip). But I can't do what you can do! :bow:

I'm listening to OOTN today getting ready for Survivor tonight. Since we currently have so many fans of the former Eagles on the board, I hope they play along. Should be interesting!

TimothyBFan
06-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Once again, I am amazed at your memory and how you can connect the album with your twelfth birthday.

Don't be! I cheated. :hilarious: I remembered I received it for a birthday but couldn't remember if it was 11th, 12th or 13th, just that I was still young and naive (after 13-I finally figured the good stuff out:shh:). If Dreamer hadn't posted that it was 35 and I can do simple math, I wouldn't have said it was my 12th.

Brooke
06-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Great album! And that's all I'm sayin' till Survivor! :lol:

TimothyBFan
06-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Great album! And that's all I'm sayin' till Survivor! :lol:

:hilarious: Well you secretive little thing!!!

Prettymaid
06-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Lol! Everybody's holding their cards close to their chests!

luvthelighthouse
06-10-2010, 04:28 PM
I haven't listened to this in what seems like forever. I went to put it in for a listen and it wasn't with the rest of my CD's. I had to feverishly hunt it down. Phew... found it in my car. It's like listening to it with fresh ears. :partytime:

This is should be a fun game. I can't wait to hear what others think of all the songs.

Super Frey
06-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Happy Birthday One of These Nights! Another Eagles great!:thumbsup:

sodascouts
06-10-2010, 06:26 PM
As a whole, One of These Nights is down the list for me when I'm ranking the Eagles albums. It's inconsistent, with brilliant material alongside...well....not so brilliant material. However, it showcases my favorite rock song OF ALL TIME, right there with Fleetwood Mac's "Gypsy," and that alone scores it major points with me. Of course, I'm keeping that song a secret as I'm absolutely positive I've never mentioned what it is before on this board. ;)

Despite the fact that the album is not my favorite, it marks a real turning point for the group artistically and commercially. They'd just had a number one hit with "Best of My Love" from the prior album and I think it gave them the confidence to do some things they might have shied away from previously, and more leverage with the record company to do things the way they wanted.

This is where they really got serious about songwriting. I think it was Patti Davis who said that one of the reasons they weren't happy about her appearing as a songwriter on "I Wish You Peace" was that they were determined to keep One of These Nights "in-house" with regard to songwriting - ie, all songs were to be written by Eagles and only Eagles. Obviously, Bernie ignored that memo, lol. At least Don and Glenn were able to contribute enough to "Hollywood Waltz" to get in on those songwriting credits. ;)

With the addition of Don Felder, the rock edge to their sound became sharper as well, although ironically their first Grammy and one of the abum's biggest hits was the very country-sounding "Lyin' Eyes." Heck, wasn't that even on the Urban Cowboy soundtrack? Life is funny.

Say what you will - the changes worked. The album was huge, and the Eagles went from having a few popular songs to being all over the radio.

In an interview with Glenn one time, he was asked when he felt like he'd really made it. He said it was when they were touring for One of These Nights, when they were playing for tens of thousands rather than thousands, flying in private planes, making and spending exorbitant amounts of money like never before... this album is when they hit full-fledged rock star status.

So here's to you, One of These Nights.

:cheers:

Happy birthday!

Freypower
06-10-2010, 06:45 PM
This is my least favourite Eagles album and yet it contains one song which is in my Top 10. For me the prominence of the former members whose songs are not as strong as Henley-Frey's, weakens it (with the obvious exception of TITTL). That is my honest opinion and I mean no disrespect to the former members but the Big Two songs on this album demonstrate why Henley-Frey is such a great songwriting partnership.

I disagree that the rock edge is 'sharper' on this album. I think that Visions & Too Many Hands are not particularly strong rockers & the title track is outright R&B. Again, personal opinion. The album is all over the place stylistically. I actually think it marks a retreat in artistic terms except for the three major tracks.

And yet those three tracks are still played live today while the (far superior) On The Border album is totally ignored.

Koala
06-11-2010, 01:07 AM
These are some really really good songs on this album, in addition, some which I often skip!
One Of These Nights was the first Eagles album which I have got as a gift from my sister, fortunately not the last!

06-12-2010, 11:07 AM
One of These Nights is probably my 2nd least favorite Eagles album. I agree with Soda and Freypower that the album is very uneven with regard to the quality and styles of the songs. However, the songs that are good are REALLY good. I have said before that I don’t think Bernie’s contributions on the album are bad, but it is very apparent that he was out-of-sync with the direction the band was heading at this point. I also agree that this album is where the Henley/Frey songwriting team really came into its own. I'm with Freypower when I say this, and I also mean no disrespect to the other band members, but I believe the Henley/Frey compositions are the exceptional tracks on the album. It was the strength of these maga hits - One of These Nights, Lyin' Eyes, Randy's Take It To the Limit, and to a lesser extent, After the Thrill Is Gone that propelled the band into super stardom.

TimothyBFan
06-14-2010, 08:00 AM
Have to admit that I'm a bit surprised about how many people say this is one of their least favorite Eagles albums. Like I said earlier, was always at the top of my list. I agree that it is uneven. When I was going thru it again for Survivor, I always rank them in 3 categories...love, like.... dislike. On this album there were none in like, all love and a few dislike.

GlennLover
06-17-2010, 11:19 AM
This is Glenn's favorite album. It's not mine, however. JOTS & Visons I almost always skip. I didn't even load them onto my Ipod. As I mentioned before, I think IWYP is out of place on this album. But then, it has TITTL, OOTN, ATTIG & LE, songs which I love. All in all the album is too inconsistant to be my favorite. I haven't ranked the albums yet so I don't know where OOTN would place on my list.

chaim
08-17-2010, 09:38 AM
I wanted to start a new thread for this, but then I thought that it doesn't raise enough discussion for it to deserve a thread of its own.
When I woke up today I noticed that my sister (born in '86) had called me. I called her back. No answer. After a few minutes I noticed that she had called me again. So I called her back again. She answered. What did she have in mind?
These were her first words (the conversation is translated from Finnish to English, of course): "Do you have the Eagles album that has 'Lying eyes' on it"? I didn't reply "Yes, of course, as indeed should everyone you silly girl", but just "Yes". She is coming to visit the city I live in. "Could I borrow it?". "Sure." (thinking "How long can I live without the album in my apartment") If I'm going to let go of the album for even a few days, I deserve at least to know how she fell in love with the song. So I asked. The place she works in had a radio on and she heard this song that made her go "wow!". She started to write some of the lyrics on some paper, to be able to find the song later; to find out the song's title and who the artist is.
I finally suggested (because, as you surely must understand, it is hard to live with one of the Eagles albums missing from your apartment/house) that I buy her her own copy of the album. Then we agreed that we'll go and buy it together when she comes here.
It has been nice over the years to see her discover old bands and artists little by little. Folks, we may have a new Eagles fan here.

08-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Excellent! Well done, chaim! Now, what you have to do when she visits is to play one of their greatest hits albums or The Very Best of. That ought to get her hooked for good. :thumbsup:

chaim
08-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Excellent! Well done, chaim! Now, what you have to do when she visits is to play one of their greatest hits albums or The Very Best of. That ought to get her hooked for good. :thumbsup:

We must go gently on this. One wrong song and she may turn away for good! :hilarious:

Brooke
08-17-2010, 09:54 AM
chaim, way to go!

I'm glad your sister if finally coming to her senses, albeit slowly! lol

chaim
08-17-2010, 10:20 AM
chaim, way to go!

I'm glad your sister if finally coming to her senses, albeit slowly! lol
:hilarious:

Well, on the other hand, she could give me some lessons on more recent music. I don't know what's out there, because there's so much yet to discover in the past, but there must be a lot of great music out there at the moment that I probably will discover in 2040. :)
I tend to live a few years behind everyone else. When grunge was hot I had zero interest. It was only when it was sort of out that I realized that Soundgarden had some great songs!

Prettymaid
08-17-2010, 01:16 PM
One wrong song and she may turn away for good! :hilarious:

This is the Eagles. There is no such thing as a wrong song! :eyebrow: JK! :hilarious: