PDA

View Full Version : Then, or Now?

bernie's bender
06-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Assume for a moment that we have access to Mr. Peabody and his wayback machine. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Peabody)

We can choose to get in the machine and go see the Eagles one time in any year, any show or tour.

Would you rather see the Eagles back then or now?

If you chose to go back in time, which shows/tour would you pick.

The only rule is... if you go back in time you can ONLY see them in that period.

Answers with long explanations earn extra points. Pictures (of either you back then, now or with the band) receive kudos.

MikeA
06-16-2010, 03:08 PM
No hesitation for me. I'd like to go back to the winter of 1976 and attend once again the show that the Eagles did at Henry Levitt Arena in Wichita. It was one of the first Hotel California tour stops and actually happened in '76 rather than '77. I went to that concert...but I am ashamed to say that I was not in exactly the state of mind that permits retention of the memory!

This was Joe Walsh appearing with his new gig with the Eagles in his Home Town. It was a compromise for the group though with Meisner there, Bernie wasn't though Felder was hacking and slashing. Of course TBS wasn't there but there is no time in which they were "all" together.

This, I think marked the peak of the Eagles' rise to Superstardom. Also marked the beginning of the demise of the group before its current incarnation.

Eve
06-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Only if I can take 2010 hair products and make up with me and make my age more appropriate to what theirs was during the time I chose.

Scarlet Sun
06-16-2010, 05:52 PM
I would have liked to go along on the '71 tour with Ronstadt or the debut album photo session

bernie's bender
06-16-2010, 05:53 PM
eve, you can dial up any age you want (so long as you have achieved that age.)

so, if you are, say, 40 now, you could go back as a 10 year old, but not a 50 year old.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Good topic, bb. This is easy for me as well. Unfortunately, I never saw the Eagles live until 2003. As much as I would love to have seen them around the 1977 time frame that Mike mentioned, I will never get over the fact that I missed seeing them during the 1994-95 HFO tour. IMO, the band was at their prime as far as live performances from all of the DVDs and bootlegs I've seen from all eras. The fact that I did not get to see them then remains my deepest regret as an Eagles fan. :sad:

sodascouts
06-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Assuming I'd be able to take my memories with me of the current tour and the live bootlegs I've watched....

I'd go with seeing the Eagles in 1976 - that July, specifically, when Fleetwood Mac opened for them. That's both my favorite bands right before they hit the stratosphere and they still were working hard for the love; plus, both bands were less inhibited. Joe had just started playing with the band and I'd be bummed to miss out on seeing a show with Bernie, but you can't have it all.

Check out a typical setlist:

Take It Easy
Outlaw Man
Doolin-Dalton / Desperado Reprise
Turn to Stone
Lyin' Eyes
You Never Cry Like a Lover
Take It to the Limit
Desperado
Midnight Flyer
One of These Nights
Already Gone
Too Many Hands
Good Day in Hell
Witchy Woman
Rocky Mountain Way
James Dean
Best of My Love
Funk 49
Carol

Nice!

Eve
06-16-2010, 06:30 PM
3/10/1973 - Voorburg, Netherlands - before the fame and wealth and disagreements, before Joe Walsh and Don Felder. Just the original four in all their unpolished stage presence, t-shirts and jeans, tuning and setting up the instruments, sound problems with the system, squealing mikes, misplaced spotlights, tv cameras almost in their faces and in their way. But the good-natured joking among them, sharing the songs equally, and it was clear that they were all still friends.

I want to be the same age as them or a few years younger. And does this have to be "G" rated?

bernie's bender
06-16-2010, 06:47 PM
only if the G relates to a certain STRING!:thumbsup:

as for that, I say leave it off, put on some leather pants, a vest with no blouse and come on down to the troubador and the palomino and we'll have some FUN!

Eve
06-16-2010, 06:48 PM
only if the G relates to a certain STRING!:thumbsup:

as for that, I say leave it off, put on some leather pants, a vest with no blouse and come on down to the troubador and the palomino and we'll have some FUN!

Hell yah baby!

whitcap
06-16-2010, 07:41 PM
I would see them in 1975 when they had just hit it big and all three former members were still in the band.

MikeA
06-16-2010, 09:41 PM
"G" Third string....Hmmm 3rd E. Sorry Bernie, don't think you and I would be welcome.

Freypower
06-16-2010, 10:35 PM
At the risk of sounding biased I would go back to the first time I saw them in 1995 when Glenn was singing rather more than he does now, and Don was playing drums on ALL his Eagles songs (except Get Over It, which I didn't see).

bernie's bender
06-16-2010, 11:08 PM
"G" Third string....Hmmm 3rd E. Sorry Bernie, don't think you and I would be welcome.

as i expressed to some of our 'randier' members via pm, I'd go to 73 or 74 and attempt (with success) a tryst with Linda Rondstadt... and finagle a few minutes with Valerie Carter....

With any luck, at the show Linda would dedicate "long long time" to our afternoon's activities!:thumbsup:

Eve
06-16-2010, 11:52 PM
as i expressed to some of our 'randier' members via pm, I'd go to 73 or 74 and attempt (with success) a tryst with Linda Rondstadt... and finagle a few minutes with Valerie Carter....

With any luck, at the show Linda would dedicate "long long time" to our afternoon's activities!:thumbsup:

"randier" he's MINE!

Koala
06-17-2010, 01:55 AM
I would be quite happy I could see a concert from 70's, I have no preference! Moreover, I would have seen with pleasure the Millenium concert.

TimothyBFan
06-17-2010, 08:09 AM
I would love to see them in the 70's BUT I was only 12 when I had tickets to see them and as young as the boys may have liked their women, I think 12 would of been to young, soooooo, I'm picking HFO era. To me they were in their prime at that point and I was in my early 30s so much more "groupy" material! :hilarious: Not that they were into that but since this is all in fun---I'm gonna stick around for after the show and see what happens... oh and Jean doesn't exist in my little fantasy! :wink:

luvthelighthouse
06-17-2010, 09:55 AM
If this is a time machine and I go back at my current age and they are the age they were during that given year...

This is hard for me. I'd love to see a stripped down version of the four original members. I'd also love to see 1978 w/Timothy, because I haven't seen any footage from TLR era...

However, I would choose the Hotel Californin era. I bet seeing Don, Glenn, Randy, Felder and Walsh had to be somewhat of an expierence. I think magic happened on that stage... and I'd want to see it first hand.

bernie's bender
06-17-2010, 11:21 AM
yup. you can pick your age, and their age at the time.

it is the new model of time machine... on the side it says

'choice is not just a cut of beef'.

so, pick your age and then the year you want to go to..

luvthelighthouse
06-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Well, I'd def be 21 and they could be their real ages in 1975ish.

Hey, I looked hot back then! :hilarious:

sodascouts
06-17-2010, 11:27 AM
you can pick your age

Thank goodness. The first three LPs came out before I was born, so my 1976 choice would have been problematic otherwise. lol

GettheLeadonOut!!
06-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Definitely the One of These Nights tour. The is the band at their apex, imo. Lots of Bernie and his insane bantar picking, trademark b-bender licks and lush harmony vox. Joe opened some shows and joined the band on occasion, as did Linda, Jackson, J.D., Fogelberg and even Timothy with Poco. How can you beat this setlist with the original lineup intact:

Take It Easy
Outlaw Man
Doolin-Dalton/Doolin-Dalton - Desperado (Reprise)
Train Leaves Here This Morning
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Desperado
Ol’ 55
One of These Nights
Blackberry Blossom (Go Bernie!! :guitar:!!)
Midnight Flyer
Journey of the Sorcerer :drool:
Too Many Hands
Already Gone
Good Day in Hell
James Dean
Witchy Woman
Chug All Night
The Best of My Love
Oh Carol
Tequila Sunrise

Shadowland07
06-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Leadon i agree with you lol. It'd be amazing to see them during that stage of their careers

Brooke
06-17-2010, 01:25 PM
I'd go with seeing the Eagles in 1976 - that July, specifically, when Fleetwood Mac opened for them. That's both my favorite bands right before they hit the stratosphere and they still were working hard for the love; plus, both bands were less inhibited. Joe had just started playing with the band and I'd be bummed to miss out on seeing a show with Bernie, but you can't have it all.

Check out a typical setlist:

Take It Easy
Outlaw Man
Doolin-Dalton / Desperado Reprise
Turn to Stone
Lyin' Eyes
You Never Cry Like a Lover
Take It to the Limit
Desperado
Midnight Flyer
One of These Nights
Already Gone
Too Many Hands
Good Day in Hell
Witchy Woman
Rocky Mountain Way
James Dean
Best of My Love
Funk 49
Carol

Nice!

This would be great for me, too. I was 20, that would definitely work! Hehehe! I did see the HC tour in 76 or 77, but was way up high and don't really remember much. And seeing FM, too? Heaven! :nod:

Troubadour
06-17-2010, 06:17 PM
I would go back to the '70s without question. I'm undecided as to whether I'd go for the Hotel California tour or slightly earlier... say, Kirshner, '74... just before they reached the big-time. (Maybe I'm hoping they'd be a bit more accessible then! lol.)

But... no. Go with '76/'77. I'd miss Bernie, but I'd want to see Joe and hear those harder, rockier songs live.

I might as well be my age now - 24. A little younger than them, but old enough to... 'partake'. :angel:

GettheLeadonOut!!
06-17-2010, 07:47 PM
My only problem with the '76 tour is that the setlist is very similar to the OOTN setlist and Felder was handling Bernie's banjo parts and as good as Felder is, he is no match for the master. What is great about that tour though is Joe and his excitement and energy.

If I had to pick a Joe tour it would be the '77 Hotel California tour as Joe and Felder get to shine on Joe's stuff and the new HC stuff but mostly because I would love to be present to hear Randy stunning live version of "Take It to the Limit". :bow:

TimothyBFan
06-18-2010, 09:43 AM
I might as well be my age now - 24. A little younger than them, but old enough to... 'partake'. :angel:

Huh? Partake in what young lady? :hilarious:

MikeA
06-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Huh? Partake in what young lady? :hilarious:

Beer obviously. Do NOT disillusion me!

Troubadour
06-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Yeah... beer. To start with.

And Willie - don't act the innocent with me, missy! "Groupie material"... "stick around after the show and see what happens"... "Jean doesn't exist"... You (and a few others) set the tone here! ;)

bernie's bender
06-18-2010, 10:59 PM
now that I see we have naughty (and nice) girls here....

I"m feeling right at home!

like the bumper sticker says...

"Good Girls Go to Heaven, Bad Girls Go Everywhere"

(including the monster room)

TimothyBFan
06-20-2010, 07:08 PM
And Willie - don't act the innocent with me, missy! "Groupie material"... "stick around after the show and see what happens"... "Jean doesn't exist"... You (and a few others) set the tone here! ;)

:shock: Me? :blush:

ticky
06-22-2010, 12:05 PM
NOW lets all admit it... we'd ALL (all us freckle counters at least) would head, without hesitation, to the 3E era! *G* Lets just assume, as we evidently have in the rest of this thread, that NOT ONLY does a time machine exist but a Complete Body Re-sculpting Booth (for my personal preferences) and youth retracing booth and a 3E button dispenser are all in the lady's room as well. Okay, so then, Im torn between Hotel California and Hell Freezes Over (yeah, I know the whole 3E thing wasnt happening then, but lets call the 3E buttons MAGIC 3E buttons that work during ANY era...)

now.. musically, hmm... I'm still partial to those two...

TimothyBFan
06-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Hmmm, now you've got me thinking... I bought an old bubble gum dispenser at an antiques auction a few months ago. Wonder what it would take to convert it into a 3E button dispenser! :headscratch:

sodascouts
06-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Okay, so then, Im torn between Hotel California and Hell Freezes Over (yeah, I know the whole 3E thing wasnt happening then, but lets call the 3E buttons MAGIC 3E buttons that work during ANY era...)

At least during the HFO period they would more likely be fully conscious while you were "servicing" them. Heck, they might even ask your name and look you in the eye... nah, no 3E button is THAT magic.

bernie's bender
06-22-2010, 06:47 PM
At least during the HFO period they would more likely be fully conscious while you were "servicing" them. Heck, they might even ask your name and look you in the eye... nah, no 3E button is THAT magic.

and maybe less contagious too.

however, the addition of hair gel would spoil the whole vibe.

Eve
06-22-2010, 06:58 PM
and maybe less contagious too.

however, the addition of hair gel would spoil the whole vibe.

Dear God...I'll stick with 1973. HFO they are too old, talk about Lyin Eyes coming full circle...

Hotel California, ulcers, STDs, dazed and confused from drugs. Ick.

bernie's bender
06-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Dear God...I'll stick with 1973. HFO they are too old, talk about Lyin Eyes coming full circle...

Hotel California, ulcers, STDs, dazed and confused from drugs. Ick.

I dvr'd the Doors American Experience (or whatever that PBS show is)

man, those guys were YOUNG! I'm with you Eve, 73 all the way... young, dazed, confused but full of vigor and energy and not all serious yet...

take me back mr. peabody (not the coal train guy either, the dog dang it!)

Eve
06-22-2010, 07:06 PM
I dvr'd the Doors American Experience (or whatever that PBS show is)

man, those guys were YOUNG! I'm with you Eve, 73 all the way... young, dazed, confused but full of vigor and energy and not all serious yet...

take me back mr. peabody (not the coal train guy either, the dog dang it!)

Yes, the vigor and energy, that's important to keep going all night. And I'm not talking playing as in concert, but playing as in playing.

bernie's bender
06-22-2010, 07:14 PM
I actually know a guy who tried out for this ad....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umhEoIdKYm8

Eve
06-22-2010, 07:46 PM
LOL! Are you saying that would be their drug of choice during HFO?

bernie's bender
06-22-2010, 07:47 PM
LOL! Are you saying that would be their drug of choice during HFO?

I'm sayin' without it.. I don't believe they could "chug all night"

well, maybe henley but only if the girl told him she was a republican...

Eve
06-22-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm sayin' without it.. I don't believe they could "chug all night"

well, maybe henley but only if the girl told him she was a republican...

I noticed you said "girl".

bernie's bender
06-22-2010, 08:05 PM
I noticed you said "girl".

it is very very difficult to get a sheep into an eagles concert...

don't even ask how I know!

sodascouts
06-22-2010, 08:07 PM

I'm thinking you and Eve should go to PM right about now!

EagleLady
06-22-2010, 08:11 PM
What is so bad about their conversation here?

sodascouts
06-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Ask your mother, EL.

bernie's bender
06-22-2010, 08:48 PM
levity is not without a price el!

I've got to go play music! ya'll have some fun now, heayh!

MikeA
06-23-2010, 11:59 AM

don't even ask how I know!

OK, how do Ewe get a sheep into a concert? Oh, ooops....you said Don't Ask. I take it back. And I definitely don't want to know WHY!

sodascouts
06-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Yeah, which is why I was hoping folks would let that drop, Mike, or indulge themselves privately. (See my above posts).

bernie's bender
06-23-2010, 01:21 PM
this is the answer to all things

Eve
06-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Caddyshack...all you need to know in life you can learn from Caddyshack and The Godfather.

I must admit that it might just be a bit fun to go back to their biggest party period and turn one of them down.

bernie's bender
06-23-2010, 07:08 PM
or provide a favor while humming!

turn down day!

didn't they also sing red rubber ball (written by paul simon)?