PDA

View Full Version : Happy 38th Birthday, "Eagles" Album!

sodascouts
06-17-2010, 12:15 AM
We jump right from the birthday of One of These Nights to the birthday of the Eagles' self-titled album, as they were released a week apart in their respective years.

Eagles is their first album and, while not their best work, it's certainly not weak. It contains three songs that still get airplay on classic rock stations to this day - "Take It Easy," "Peaceful Easy Feeling," and "Witchy Woman." "Take It Easy," of course, is the definitive Eagles song in the casual fan's mind along with "Hotel California," and both PEF and TIE are two of my personal favorites.

Not too shabby!

So let's celebrate Eagles!
:birthday:

Scarlet Sun
06-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Eagles is their first album and, while not their best work . . .

So let's celebrate Eagles!
:birthday:
From my perspective, I would remove "while not"

sodascouts
06-17-2010, 12:40 AM
I'm sorry - I should have added "in my opinion" when I posted that.

I'm listening to "Most of Us Are Sad" now - what a gorgeous, underrated song. It's hampered by its simplistic title in the minds of some people, I think. They should've called it "Scarlet Sun." ;) It's a lot deeper than it first appears. LOVE it.

Scarlet Sun
06-17-2010, 01:42 AM
I'm sorry - I should have added "in my opinion" when I posted that.
no apologies necessary - it's understood that it's your opinion

I'm listening to "Most of Us Are Sad" now - what a gorgeous, underrated song. It's hampered by its simplistic title in the minds of some people, I think. They should've called it "Scarlet Sun." ;) It's a lot deeper than it first appears. LOVE it.
Absolutely no disagreements here! Honestly, i've always thought it sounds like something Glenn wrote after his first peyote trip . . . :angel:

sodascouts
06-17-2010, 03:19 AM
lol! Speaking of peyote, here's a cute video from the documentary Under the Covers about the cover shoot for Eagles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W09XQmQspDY

TimothyBFan
06-17-2010, 07:59 AM
I was 9 and can remember each of those songs being played on the radio. I thought Witchy Woman was awesome (and now it's just not one of my favorites). I bought each of the 45s and didn't buy the album till probably a year or 2 later. I can remember going around singing "well I'm standing on the corner of Winslow Arizona...." because I loved the sound of Glenn & Randy's voices (even tho at that time I hadn't the vaguest idea who it was) meshing together on that verse. Hey, still love the way 2 of those Eagle voices mesh together on that verse! :D

luvthelighthouse
06-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Maybe I'm the cheese that stands alone... but this is actually one of my favorite albums. Yes, some of the lyrics are "young", Chug all Night... but I just love Nightingale. My favorite Bernie song is on this one, Train Leaves Here. The only song I really skip is Earlybird and sometime WW.

Shadowland07
06-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Chug All Night is one of my favorites off the album. Tryin' is just amazing and i love Glenn's solos in it.

Brooke
06-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Love this album and it brings back many memories of being 16! It has my personal all time favorite Eagles song, TIE, and also right up there near the top are WW and PEF. 38 years! Wow!

chaim
06-17-2010, 10:47 AM
While I understand that they needed another albums to make them big, I love this one. I love...
..."Most of us are sad" (my favourite when I was a teenager and was getting to know the band),
"Take the devil" (I really love the bare instrumentation; really makes me feel like I'm in the desert the band is in on the cover. Glenn's leads are part of his rhythm track, they haven't been overdubbed, so it's really bare. I love it.)
"Earlybird" (greatness),
"Take it easy",
"Chug all night" (oh yes indeed!),
"Train leaves here this morning".

"Tryin'" is good, but it's not one I would put the album on the turntable for; the same with "Nightingale". "Witchy woman" is bizarre. There are elements in this song that I really like and elements I really don't like that much. The riff is great.

Brooke
06-17-2010, 11:01 AM
"Witchy woman" is bizarre.[/B] There are elements in this song that I really like and elements I really don't like that much. The riff is great.

:shock: chaim, now listen here! WW is :cool: lol

Shadowland07
06-17-2010, 01:05 PM
i thought that since we're talking about this album i'd ask, who plays lead on the songs (besides TIE, WW, PEF, Tryin, Earlybird), and who plays lead on Get You in the Mood

Freypower
06-17-2010, 07:04 PM
I have always assumed that most of the lead work (including Get You In The Mood) is by Bernie.

I am very fond of this album - it has the same sort of semi naivete that Please Please Me does to an extent. Like OOTN for me it has three astounding highs (TIE, WW, PEF) and some songs I could have done without (Tryin', Nightingale, Earlybird) and some in the middle. I am one who will always defend Chug All Night because Glenn's early persona is defined in it. I love Train Leaves Here This Morning - it is a real Eagles 'on the road' song and I love Bernie's vocal. Take The Devil is mean and moody - an underrated Randy gem (as is Certain Kind Of Fool).

chaim
06-17-2010, 11:37 PM
"Take it easy", "Witchy woman", "Peaceful easy feeling", "Train leaves here this morning" and "Earlybird" we have seen live, so we know who plays the solos. Of course I wasn't in the studio when they cut "Take the devil", but from the sound and style I'm positive it's Glenn. Sounds like he played his rhythm part and leads during the same take as his rhythm part disappears when his leads start and vice versa, and they are in the same channel; don't remember if it's left or right. So it's Glenn playing an electric and Bernie an acoustic guitar. "Most of us are sad" I think is Bernie. "Tryin'" is certainly Glenn. I don't remember the solos in "Nightingale" and "Chug all night" at the moment, but if there's a guitar solo in them, I think it's Glenn. I don't remember hearing "Bernieish" lead work in those songs.
I can only offer an opinion as I don't KNOW who played those solos. I could listen to "Chug" and "Nightingale" at some point to refresh my memory and offer a theory!
In the first copy that I had of the album Randy had a "guitar" credit as well as a bass credit. I asked Bernie about this in his site, thinking that maybe Randy played acoustic guitar in his songs. Bernie said that he doesn't remember Randy ever playing guitar in the studio (although he said that "Randy wrote songs on an acoustic guitar"), and that he thinks that he (Bernie) played those acoustic parts in Randy's songs.

Scarlet Sun
06-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Nightingale is certainly Bernie, especially with its B-bender opening

Shadowland07
06-18-2010, 12:19 AM
any thoughts about Get You in the Mood Chaim?

chaim
06-18-2010, 08:30 AM
Nightingale is certainly Bernie, especially with its B-bender opening

Just listened to the song. I agree. All the three guitars seem to sound more like Bernie. I wonder what Glenn plays here. I guess his part is the rhyhm part in the left channel. Still, during the long chord (or bass note) later in the song, when there are guitar harmonics, both rhythm guitars are playing them. Often that would suggest that one player is playing both parts. Same kind or harmonics can be heard later in one of the verses of "Bitter creek" (played by Glenn, I think) and on of the verses in "Try and love again".
I noticed two funny things now that I listened to the song. 1) the lead guitar sound in the intro seems to be very ddifferent from the lead sound that comes later. Later there's more distortion. 2) At 1:58 and 2:02 there's a lick that, I think, Don Felder later played at least in "Already gone" and "Too many hands". It's funny that if it wasn't for the intro, I'd guess that Glenn plays some of the leads later. I guess it's all Bernie on leads.

Listened to "Chug all night" too. The rhythm guitar in the left sounds partly picked (with fingers) in the verses, although I'm not 100% sure. I think that's Bernie. And the heavily distorted guitar in the right must be Glenn!:hilarious: Although I play guitar I'm not that good in telling "that's him" and "that's him". The short lead breaks could be anyone, but at least the main solo that starts at 2:25 sounds like Glenn. I guess it's Glenn playing all the leads here, as well as the extra harmonizing guitar(s) over the main riff in the intro.
I think I've heard"Get you in the mood" only once years ago. I can't remember the song and I couldn't find it on "YouTube". Can it be heard somewhere in the internet?

Afterthought: I think "pluck" is the word for the playing techique I was talking about in "Chug all night" and not "pick". (I'm from Finland...)

sodascouts
06-18-2010, 12:36 PM
I've got it on the site - you can download it here (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/getyouinthemood.mp3)

Or stream it:
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/getyouinthemood.mp3

Sorry for the album noise but I ripped it off an old 45. If they ever put out a version of this on CD I'd take it down but right now, this is the only way folks can hear it.

Super Frey
06-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Nice:thumbsup: And I'd like to add, I just love Chug All Night:)