View Full Version : What song should have been an Eagles song?

bernie's bender
06-25-2010, 06:53 PM
What song should have been an Eagles song? and why?

(note: assume that we already know that they are the greatest and that they wrote great songs and there aren't any... just forget that and try to think of which one they should have written which would include a song that we've never heard AND/OR a song that another artist had a hit with. Also, yes, we know they had solo careers, those songs don't count.)

Scarlet Sun
06-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Amie - they could have improved the lyrics slightly

Freypower
06-25-2010, 07:15 PM
I assume you mean the Pure Prairie League song. I had never heard it so I watched it via YouTube. It is certainly very 'early Eagles'.

However I'm afraid I can't answer the question because I don't have enough expertise to make such judgments on whether songs by other artists would have worked as Eagles songs.

In any case what do you mean by 'a song that we've never heard'?

Ive always been a dreamer
06-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Amie is a good choice. I always thought the Eagles could have done justice to that song too.

I also always thought the Eagles could have done an awesome version of For What's It's Worth by Buffalo Springfield. I think they could have provided more intricate music and richer vocals and harmonies to an already awesome song.

bernie's bender
06-25-2010, 09:09 PM
In any case what do you mean by 'a song that we've never heard'?

like a song you have an idea for or a title of a song that they should have done...

like--> they did 'one of these nights' but Emmy Lou did "one of these days"

don did "in a new york minute" maybe they could have done 'seconds from now" or something.....

sodascouts
06-25-2010, 09:23 PM
I think "Ode to Nancy" would make a great Eagles song.

bernie's bender
06-25-2010, 09:45 PM

maybe two songs.. one.. a ballad "Ode to Nancy" and one an 'already gone' type shuffle called "soda and hot dogs on a friday night"

kind of a "Livin in the USA" Chuck Berry type ditty!

EaglesFanatic
03-07-2011, 10:38 PM
I have no clue why, but as I was listening to Comin' Home by Lynyrd Skynyrd, it made me think that Joe Walsh could really do this song justice! What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwQgHxbjibo

sodascouts
03-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Hmmm - I could see that. Of course, I think Joe could play anything!

thelongrun
03-08-2011, 01:17 AM

What - whose Song is that Soda?

sodascouts
03-08-2011, 01:25 AM
What - whose Song is that Soda?

Well... it hasn't been written yet...

thelongrun
03-08-2011, 01:29 AM
Great topic...

JD Souther's How long... Since it was floating in the Cosmos back in those sunny days of early 70's for some accident ended in JD's brain... An quintesent... Eagles song not being an Eagles Song...

7 Bridges Road kind the same...

Richard Marx - It dont mean nothing

Resttless Heart - Tell me what you dream

John Cougar -Hurts so good

Toby Beau - My angel baby

John Stewart- Gold

Tom Petty - Stop draggin my heart around

Cactus - My lady from south of Detroit

And as I said before no matter some call me sinner, Air Supply's All out of the love, I cant help hearing it in my mind on Henley's voice...

I better leave it here :grouphug:

thelongrun
03-08-2011, 01:31 AM
Well... it hasn't been written yet...

Ahh!! silly me you got me there:laugh:

Prettymaid
03-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Hmmm - I could see that. Of course, I think Joe could play anything!

Me too, but I think EF was also talking about the vocal, weren't you EF? If so, I agree. I can really hear Joe doing that song!

EaglesFanatic
03-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Me too, but I think EF was also talking about the vocal, weren't you EF? If so, I agree. I can really hear Joe doing that song!

Yep, vocals too :nod:

Freypower
03-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Great topic...

JD Souther's How long... Since it was floating in the Cosmos back in those sunny days of early 70's for some accident ended in JD's brain... An quintesent... Eagles song not being an Eagles Song...

7 Bridges Road kind the same...

The Eagles have recorded both of these songs. The topic is about songs they haven't recorded. At least that's how I interpret it.

Victim of Love
03-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Great topic....it's fun just imaginine the possibilities. There are a few I could see our guys doing....

Buffalo Springfields: For What It's Worth (Don on lead) and Bluebird (I think with Joe on lead)

Procol Harum: The Question (definitely a Don song)

America: Think Glenn would be great on the lead of Sisten Golden Hair

Dan Fogelberg: Part of the Plan (Tim?) and Missing You (Glenn)

Bread: Lost Without Your Love

Three Dog Night: I can see Joe rocking out on Shambala

Journey: Who's Cryin' Now (Don on lead, imagine the harmonies)

Lisa
03-08-2011, 08:11 PM
The Atlanta Rhythm Section's "Imaginary Lover," with Glenn Frey and Don Henley sharing the verses. Now, that's funny! What a classic.

Prettymaid
03-10-2011, 01:27 PM
When I listen to this Jackson Browne song I hear early seventies Eagles. There's a live performance video too, but I thought you could 'hear' the Eagles more in this recorded version. I can so hear Glenn doing lead vocals on this! It's called Walking Slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNxPHxomljc&tracker=False

ETA: Don Henley gets hamonies credits on the album. I think I can hear him on this song. What do you all think?

EaglesFanatic
03-10-2011, 06:55 PM
America: Think Glenn would be great on the lead of Sisten Golden Hair

I definitely agree that the song could be an Eagles song... But I can hear Randy singing the lead as opposed to Glenn IMO.

sodascouts
03-10-2011, 11:06 PM
When I listen to this Jackson Browne song I hear early seventies Eagles. There's a live performance video too, but I thought you could 'hear' the Eagles more in this recorded version. I can so hear Glenn doing lead vocals on this! It's called Walking Slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNxPHxomljc&tracker=False

ETA: Don Henley gets hamonies credits on the album. I think I can hear him on this song. What do you all think?

I can totally see this as an Eagles song!

I don't hear Don on this song, though. Either I need to work on my voice recognition skills (which admittedly I have been told in the past, lol) or his harmonies are on another song(s) from the album.

Freypower
03-11-2011, 05:24 PM
I coincidentally heard Walking Slow on my iPod a few hours after reading the post. First, if it is Don on harmonies it isn't very distinctive. It could be anybody. Second, I think the song is more suited to Tim's voice. It has that jaunty, One More Mile or Friday Night style. Glenn's 'faster' songs are much more influenced by blues (with the possible exception of I Got Love, one of my least favourites) while this is more 'pop' influenced.

12-02-2012, 06:54 PM
I was reading through a book that I got as a birthday present from a very dear friend about classic rock songs, and I came across some songs that reminded me of this very old thread. So I came here to dig it up just so I could start some discussion about some of these songs. One that I came across right away that I think the early Eagles could have really done justice to is Steven Stills' Love the One You're With. Anyone agree or think of any other songs that haven't been mentioned here already?

Freypower
12-02-2012, 08:14 PM
It's a favourite of mine & I could see Don singing it. Before I heard Glenn sing On The Way Home the idea of them doing songs like this never occurred to me.

Prettymaid
12-02-2012, 09:58 PM
I can hear it Dreamer!

maryc2130
12-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Some of you may cringe at this one, but I always liked the song "Lights" by Journey (When the lights go down in the city...) But I also always thought the Eagles could do a much better job on the harmony on it!

Glennhoney
12-02-2012, 10:11 PM
aahh..that is one of my favorite song ever...and you're right, I can definately hear Don doing that song..:thumbsup:

sodascouts
12-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Great suggestions. Another one might be "Walls" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. I could see Glenn singing lead on this with Eagles harmonies. Obviously Glenn's voice is not as non-traditional as Tom's but if you put that out of your mind I think it works; the arrangement could be modified, of course - some effects removed, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM34We1Xkk0

prayfordaylight
12-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Great suggestions. Another one might be "Walls" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. I could see Glenn singing lead on this with Eagles harmonies. Obviously Glenn's voice is not as non-traditional as Tom's but if you put that out of your mind I think it works; the arrangement could be modified, of course - some effects removed, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM34We1Xkk0

Can Lindsey still sing on it? ;-)

EaglesKiwi
12-03-2012, 02:55 PM
At breakfast the other day I first heard the song "Too Much Stuff" by Delbert McClinton - I'd never heard of him before (& to be honest may not have paid attention in my pre-Border days, I think my musical tastes have expanded a bit since coming here! :lol:).

I could hear Tim doing lead on this, with Eagles harmonies - his voice is very different but I think he could have fun with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXyDJiUXqXY

zeldabjr
12-03-2012, 04:45 PM
love the song EK...I know who Delbert McClinton is but have never been into his stuff...I think our guys could do a great job with it...thanks for thinking of Timothy for lead...especially since it isn't a "love" song...I know I'm a little partial, but...I think he would be great on it...

I have a hard time with this thread...because I am so partial to our guys...I have no objectivity...I think they would do every song great!..I'd love to hear them do all kinds of songs...(ok maybe not rap).lol

zeldabjr
12-03-2012, 05:48 PM
got in my car and they were playing 'Fortunate Son' by CCR...I said to myself...this would be a great Eagles song!...I can totally hear them doing this one!

Topkat
12-03-2012, 06:37 PM
I couldn't see the Eagles doing "Love the One Your With" The guitar on that song is just not Eagles style, & SS voice is amazing on that song. I wouldn't want to change it at all.

Freypower
12-03-2012, 06:51 PM
got in my car and they were playing 'Fortunate Son' by CCR...I said to myself...this would be a great Eagles song!...I can totally hear them doing this one!

I can't. It could not be done by anybody except its author, John Fogerty. Nobody else could bring the rage it demands (it would not surprise me if Bruce Springsteen has done it; that doesn't make it right). I was lucky enough to see Fogerty play it. Also its lyrics are very much of the time when it was written. The Eagles could possibly do something like Bad Mon Rising or Who'll Stop The Rain.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-03-2012, 10:06 PM
I've thought of this in the past as a solo song for Glenn, but I think Timothy would do better with the lead on it. Last In Love, recorded by Nicolette Larson in 1978 (JD Souther recorded it a year later). It was, after all, written by JD and Glenn.

12-03-2012, 11:31 PM
It's a favourite of mine & I could see Don singing it. Before I heard Glenn sing On The Way Home the idea of them doing songs like this never occurred to me.

The fact that Glenn had mentioned the possibility of them doing some old covers probably helped me subconsciously think of reviving this thread. As far as Love the One You're With, I was actually thinking that Glenn or Tim voices would be better suited for it than Don's would. But, probably any of them could do justice to the song.

I actually like all of the suggestions, including Fortunate Son. To me, though, that one would definitely be best suited for Don. Of course, John Fogerty's will always be the definitive version of the song no matter who else does it.

WalshFan88
12-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Teach Your Children Well by CSN.

TimothyBFan
12-04-2012, 10:05 AM
I've been thinking on and off about this the last day or so and I honestly cannot think of even one song. Isn't that stupid? Eagle songs are Eagle songs and I just have a hard time thinking of them singing other peoples songs as a group even tho it's been done a couple of times. :shrug:

12-04-2012, 11:43 AM
I guess I'm one who thinks with all of the band's unique talents and voices that they could sing and play just about anything. Another one that I think would have been perfect for the Desperado album is Poco's Rose of Cimarron. Of course, Timothy owns the high lead part already and Glenn could totally do the other lead. I've said before - too bad they didn't write this one ... it would have been the ultimate complement to Bitter Creek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7k0NZ4XidM

EaglesKiwi
12-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Thanks for posting, Dreamer - loved it! I need to go listen to more Poco... (see comment above - musical tastes expanding! :hilarious:). Yes, I can imagine Glenn doing the other lead on it. But - I guess the Eagles couldn't write everything...

And awww, Tim's a real cutie here!

sodascouts
12-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Can Lindsey still sing on it? ;-)

Well, maybe if he didn't have to record with Don or Joe in the room. ;)

prayfordaylight
12-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Well, maybe if he didn't have to record with Don or Joe in the room. ;)

*lol* Although Lindsey did sing on Don's "You Can't Make Love"...

12-08-2012, 04:10 PM
EK - Rose of Cimarron is without a doubt my very favorite Poco song. And I guess you're right that our guys couldn't write all the good songs - but they should've stole this one. :wink: Just kidding, of course, but it totally would've worked on Desperado IMHO. Just a piece of trivia for those who may not have read this before ... Rose of Cimarron was the lover of George "Bitter Creek" Newcomb.

Prettymaid
12-08-2012, 08:52 PM
I was introduced to ROC on The Border too, and immediately fell in love with it. I agree that Glenn would do a nice job with the lead. Timothy's vocal at the end always gives me chills.

zeldabjr
12-08-2012, 10:52 PM
I heard a Yes song today and immediately thought of the guys doing it...'I've Seen All Good People'...what do you guys think?

12-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Well zelda - I wasn't familiar with the song so I went over to YouTube to check it out. Honestly, it doesn't strike me as being the Eagle's musical style. They obviously, could do it vocally, especially the harmonies, but it just doesn't 'feel' like an Eagles song to me. JMHO

Witchy Woman
12-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Funnily enough, many years ago when I first heard Poco's Crazy Love I thought Timothy was singing lead. I later learned it was Richie Furay. So, I know he would do a fantastic job with this song.

EaglesKiwi
12-10-2012, 04:31 AM
EK - Rose of Cimarron is without a doubt my very favorite Poco song. And I guess you're right that our guys couldn't write all the good songs - but they should've stole this one. :wink: Just kidding, of course, but it totally would've worked on Desperado IMHO. Just a piece of trivia for those who may not have read this before ... Rose of Cimarron was the lover of George "Bitter Creek" Newcomb.
Oh wow, cool story! And now I understand why you thought it should go on Desperado! :thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
12-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Funnily enough, many years ago when I first heard Poco's Crazy Love I thought Timothy was singing lead. I later learned it was Richie Furay. So, I know he would do a fantastic job with this song.

Me too!!! It's sounded sooooo much like Timothy and in fact is my favorite Poco song.

scottside
12-10-2012, 10:00 AM
It's actually Rusty Young who sings "Crazy Love." Richie Furay was long gone by then and doing his own thing.

Witchy Woman
12-10-2012, 09:31 PM
It's actually Rusty Young who sings "Crazy Love." Richie Furay was long gone by then and doing his own thing.

Thanks for correcting me. Yet another years long mistake !! Lol !!

TimothyBFan
05-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Listening to Classic Vinyl this morning and they were playing a song that every time I hear it, I think it would have been a great one for the original Eagles to have done but I always forget to post it.

Bluebird by Buffalo Springfield I think would have been a awesome song for the original Eagles. And Bernie could played the heck out of the banjo part.