PDA

View Full Version : At what point does it become overly obsessed?

TimothyBFan
07-03-2010, 07:40 PM
I drove down to my Mom's today to take her out to decorate Dad's grave for the 4th. I was by myself for the trip and was happily singing along to The Very Best Of The Eagles when my phone rang next to me, in my Eagles purse, with it's ringtone of Life In The Fast Lane. When I finished my short call, I picked up my Eagles mug and took a sip of my drink and thought to myself, is this just to much?

I looked around me and realized I was driving a car with an Eagles license plate, had started that car with my key that hangs on an Eagles keyring. There are a half a dozen, at least, Eagles cds in the car. Had my Eagles mug I was drinking from and, as I said earlier, my ringtone is more often than not an Eagles tune and my wallpaper inside and outside of the phone is an Eagle or Eagles. And that was just in my car!

There is a corner of the bedroom that has been taken over with Eagles. My computer has 1/2 it's space taken up with Eagles related pics, etc. The wallpaper is always Eagles related. I have several copies of every Eagles or solo Eagle works there are and it goes on and on....

But yet my family always takes it all in stride and acts like it's common place to be continuously surrounded by Eagles related stuff. I mean my damn birthday cake last week was even an Eagles album cover.

I'm fine with it and apparently the family has become accustomed to it but at what point would someone on the outside looking in say that's just too over the top? KWIM?

How about the rest of you? How many times a day do you come in contact with the Eagles? I imagine on this board we can all say that's pretty normal.

sodascouts
07-03-2010, 07:59 PM
I think it's "too much" when it starts becoming destructive to either your relationships or the quality of your life.

Ask yourself, "What is negative about this?" Are you concerned that your passion for the Eagles is making you less passionate about other things in your life? Or that you are displaying your passion too much, and you should try to tone it down because most people don't have that amount of passion for something and you don't want to appear "abnormal"? Do you feel you have to pretend that you don't like the Eagles as much as you do to be "normal"?

If you feel it is negatively affecting your life, tone it down. If not, what's the problem?

I'll use myself as an example. I'm way into the Eagles - in case you haven't noticed ;) - but I'm also way into Fleetwood Mac. Does the fact that my wallpapers, ringtones, mugs, etc. are distributed between two groups make me more normal? I think not. :lol:

TimothyBFan
07-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Soda-you know my family and know they are not suffering any because of my obsession! So I guess I'm safe in this passion. Passion enough to go around from me I guess.

I totally agree with what you are saying tho as far as if the family was complaining or thought I had lost my mind because of it.

I guess I look at it as a hobby I love (along with all my rock memoribilia I collect-just much more Eagles than anything). I have a brother in law that loves hunting and fishing and spends most of his downtime doing it. I have a friend who is into motorcycles and cars and spends countless hours at car shows and swap meets and working on his. Everyone has hobbies and this happens to be the one I do.

For the most part, the rock and roll part anyways, my family also loves and hubby and I spend many hours together doing album hunting and memoribilia collecting. It's just that I happen to be looking harder for Eagles stuff than he is. :hilarious:

GlennLover
07-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Willie, an Eagles birthday cake? How cool! Any pictures?

Koala
07-04-2010, 02:51 AM
I drove down to my Mom's today to take her out to decorate Dad's grave for the 4th. I was by myself for the trip and was happily singing along to The Very Best Of The Eagles when my phone rang next to me, in my Eagles purse, with it's ringtone of Life In The Fast Lane. When I finished my short call, I picked up my Eagles mug and took a sip of my drink and thought to myself, is this just to much?

No, I don't think it is too much! It becomes too much when the eagles determined only your life! I mine if thereby it is disturbed considerably the relations with family and friends and one only lives in a Eagles dream world THAT it's too much!

On my laptop are also a lot of pictures of the Eagles (Wallpapers, banner
etc.) and it is always an Eagles wallpaper to see! I believe I have even more eagles photos than family photos on my laptop!

Ive always been a dreamer
07-04-2010, 11:23 AM
I agree that being passionate about your interests is a good thing. My obsession with the Eagles adds value and joy to my life. Like others have said, an obsession only becomes unhealthy if it starts to interfere with the quality of your life - that when it turns from an obsession in to an addiction. I have all of my memorabilia confined to one room in my house. Now, as far as CDs in the car, that's a whole 'nother story. I have the entire Eagles catalog in my car - and then some. But hey - that's where I really get in my quality time listening to music. :thumbsup:

Freypower
07-04-2010, 06:40 PM
I have a framed photo on a wall and two calendars plus I have a couple of photos which I rotate each fortnight on my bedroom chest of drawers and on the fridge. I have magnets on the fridge but like all the others they change each week (I do have a California Tour 2005 magnet and an HC cover magnet which are permanent but so are magnets of my football team). I have three mugs and lots of T shirts which I wear all the time. I don't collect the type of memorabilia that others collect like programmes and posters. I have a keyring. My computer wallpaper is Eagles related every week.

I don't play the band obsessively in the car and because I have over 7500 tracks on my iPod I don't play them obsessively there. I just paid a lot of money to see them in December but as I haven't seen them for six years I think that is justified.

I regard it as a deep love for the band but I don't regard it as obsessive at all.