PDA

View Full Version : New Eagles Book: "The Eagles: An American Band" by Vaughn

pueblo47
08-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Amazon has a book that will come out Oct. 5 titled The Eagles - An American Band by Andrew Vaughan, 288 pages. $19.77 + shipping.

I apologize if this has already been posted.

Prettymaid
08-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the heads up!

Brooke
08-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks! I wonder if there will be anything new in it?

Ive always been a dreamer
08-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Unfortunately, Brooke, it sounds like more of the same, but maybe not.

Freypower
08-02-2010, 07:11 PM
I will probably get that, but it will have to wait until I return from overseas.

Eve
08-02-2010, 09:32 PM
I pre-ordered it yesterday. Comes out the day after my birthday! Happy Birthday to me. Of course, I had to add a couple of other "presents." ;)

AzEaglesFan
08-03-2010, 03:34 AM
I pre ordered it as well. You never know when there will be a story or picture that the author dug up no one else got their hands on. I don't think there will be any new interviews.

TimothyBFan
08-03-2010, 07:35 AM
Preordered also. I've yet to read ANY of the Eagles books but I still want them all!!

sodascouts
08-03-2010, 01:07 PM
I actually looked over this book for the publishing company a few months ago but I don't know if my advice was taken or not. I guess we'll see!

GlennLover
08-03-2010, 01:12 PM
I plan on getting it too. I'm the same as AzEaglesFan. If there is only one new tidbit it is still worth getting. Pathetic or what, LOL?

Soda, can you tell us? Did you see anything new?

sodascouts
08-03-2010, 01:59 PM
There's no new interviews with Eagles; instead, Vaughn quotes/refers to Eagles interviews and articles other people have done over the years. However, he did conduct his own interviews with some folks from the early days like JD Souther and Jim Ed Norman, as well as members of the scene back then like David Crosby.

Brooke
08-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Yep, gotta have it. Just pre-ordered!

Troubadour
08-04-2010, 02:53 PM
LOL! That still cracks me up.

GettheLeadonOut!!
08-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Hopefully he interviews Bernie to get the straight story! Looking forward to it

Eve
08-05-2010, 08:05 PM

Now that would be fabulous! God, to have been a fly on the wall or a mouse in the corner. They were probably laughing their butts off. I know I do every time I think of that story.

Freypower
08-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Now that would be fabulous! God, to have been a fly on the wall or a mouse in the corner. They were probably laughing their butts off. I know I do every time I think of that story.

Why would they have been laughing? Bernie was about to leave the band. He was angry with Glenn. He poured a beer on Glenn's head. How could that situation be funny?

I don't say that because my sympathies presumably would have been with Glenn. To me it sounds like the atmosphere was pure poison when the incident occurred.

Eve
08-05-2010, 08:23 PM
How can a beer being poured on Glenn Frey's head NOT be funny.

EagleLady
08-05-2010, 08:41 PM
We all know who got the last laugh anyways ;)

Eve
08-05-2010, 08:46 PM
I am sure that Bernie was more than happy with his decision and is living a pretty comfortable life.

As to the last laugh...like I said, every time I think of the story. :D :D

GettheLeadonOut!!
08-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Agreed Eve, Bernie is laughing all the way to the bank, thanks especially to the release of his golden parachute (aka Their Greatest hits 71-75).

Freypower
08-05-2010, 08:57 PM
How can a beer being poured on Glenn Frey's head NOT be funny.

I don't know, Eve. Some of us think Glenn Frey has some virtues.

EagleLady
08-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Agreed Eve, Bernie is laughing all the way to the bank, thanks especially to the release of his golden parachute (aka Their Greatest hits 71-75).

But Glenn is still making good records :angel:

08-05-2010, 10:43 PM

I'm not sure I quite understand where you're coming from with this comment, GLO. As much as I love Bernie, I doubt if he is the only one that would or could give the straight story of the band's early years.

And I'll weigh in here on the beer pouring incident. I don't believe it was at all funny at the time that it happened, and I'd bet that Glenn or Bernie didn't see any humor in it at the time. However, looking back on it now, it is a bit amusing.

As far as who got the last laugh, that is something that is very debatable. In retrospect, I think things worked out in the best interest of both men. I doubt if either of them have many regrets about the way things have worked out.

GettheLeadonOut!!
08-06-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm not sure I quite understand where you're coming from with this comment, GLO. As much as I love Bernie, I doubt if he is the only one that would or could give the straight story of the band's early years.

And I'll weigh in here on the beer pouring incident. I don't believe it was at all funny at the time that it happened, and I'd bet that Glenn or Bernie didn't see any humor in it at the time. However, looking back on it now, it is a bit amusing.

As far as who got the last laugh, that is something that is very debatable. In retrospect, I think things worked out in the best interest of both men. I doubt if either of them have many regrets about the way things have worked out.

I wasn't talking about the beer pouring incident when I was talking about the "straight story" (as I think Felder already described it in great detail in his book), I was talking about the Eagles story in general in the new book. His interviews are always so articulate and enlightening and he doesn't really have an axe to grind (unlike Felder) and seems to always tell it straight. I'm certain he doesn't regret leaving the band when he did as he wasn't interested in becoming an arena rock star like Glenn and he was honestly burnt out from the grind of endless touring and infighting.

As far as Glenn, the man does have his virtues, talented as hell but unfortunately can be a bit of a dick (according to several sources). He managed to wrestle the power away from the other members to become the sole "leader", I just don't like how he and Don have down played the contributions of the former members who helped make the Eagles one of most legendary bands of all time.

EagleLady
08-06-2010, 02:02 PM
I don't see that GTLO. Besides Glenn is technically the leader. and I have not heard him or Don downplay the contributions of the others.

GlennLover
08-06-2010, 03:25 PM
I just don't like how he and Don have down played the contributions of the former members who helped make the Eagles one of most legendary bands of all time.

I have seen & read interviews where Glenn has praised Felder's contributions & mentioned that he was an integral part of the band. I have also seen where he has made sure to mention that Felder co-wrote Hotel California when the interviewer overlooked that fact. He has also brought attention to Felder in concert when he has played guitar solos.

Eve
08-06-2010, 03:36 PM
As far as Glenn, the man does have his virtues,

I wouldn't be able to use the word virtue and Glenn Frey in the same sentence. Talented, certainly. Arrogant, absolutely. "Bit of a dick", understatement.

EagleLady
08-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Eve I don't think you know Glenn well enough to assume that.

Eve
08-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Eve I don't think you know Glenn well enough to assume that.

No more so than the ones that praise his virtues.

GettheLeadonOut!!
08-06-2010, 05:33 PM
I have seen & read interviews where Glenn has praised Felder's contributions & mentioned that he was an integral part of the band. I have also seen where he has made sure to mention that Felder co-wrote Hotel California when the interviewer overlooked that fact. He has also brought attention to Felder in concert when he has played guitar solos.

Was this before or after he fired him?

Freypower
08-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Glenn has not made a single comment on Felder since Felder was fired.

If he 'wrestled the power' away it was because he had the strength to do so. The band would not have become the success it did without his drive and ambition. If he were as arrogant and power hungry as you claim why is it that these days he sings so few songs in concert? He could have made the band a vehicle for himself. He did no such thing.

I realise that the fans of the former members on this board apparently seem to dislike Glenn. They have the right to do so. I have the right to say that he 'has some virtues', Eve, just as you and GTLO have the right to call him a 'dick'. It works both ways.

Eve
08-06-2010, 06:39 PM
That's exactly right. But it's apparent that not many agree with that. As much Felder hatred that is spewed on this board so quickly and openly, it always gives me a giggle when all the Frey fans come out to defend Glenn when he is accused of being a dick.

EagleLady
08-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Hey, Nobody has really outright bashed Felder, and We have a right to defend our favorite Eagle ;)

Freypower
08-06-2010, 06:45 PM
That's exactly right. But it's apparent that not many agree with that. As much Felder hatred that is spewed on this board so quickly and openly, it always gives me a giggle when all the Frey fans come out to defend Glenn when he is accused of being a dick.

Not many agree with what?

I do not 'hate' Felder. What I dislike is the way he portrays himself as an innocent victim with no responsibility at all for what occurred.

And if I am 'all the Frey fans' I am proud of it.

Lisa
08-06-2010, 07:20 PM
I like Bernie Leadon. I like Don Felder. I like Glenn Frey.

Even if name-calling takes on the stature of the youthfully immature, almost every person has an occasional conflict; and many momentary conflicts are later resolved in a more friendly spirit

Eve
08-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Not many agree with what?

They can sure dish out the Felder hate, but can't take the Frey dislike.
And Eaglelady, you must not have read the Heaven and Hell, um, "discussion" (bash Felder) thread.

EagleLady
08-06-2010, 07:28 PM
It was not a Bash Felder thread. He makes himself out to be a victim in everything he says and writes.

GettheLeadonOut!!
08-06-2010, 07:29 PM
I don't dislike Glenn, I think he is extremely talented. He has an incredible voice and is a vastly underrated guitarist.

But the man is not without his faults, and I am not basing this opinion on Felder's book which I too thought came off as bitter, self-serving and even overly unfair to Glenn.

But if you can piss off the usually genteel Randy Meisner to the point where he takes a swing at you, then I must assume Glenn really knows how to push people's buttons (I believe Randy's line to Glenn was "who the fuck made you the leader of the Eagles"?).

Lisa
08-06-2010, 07:53 PM
I still think that the members of the Eagles will all ultimately be friends once again.

Eve
08-06-2010, 07:57 PM
I don't dislike Glenn, I think he is extremely talented. He has an incredible voice and is a vastly underrated guitarist.

But the man is not without his faults, and I am not basing this opinion on Felder's book which I too thought came off as bitter, self-serving and even overly unfair to Glenn.

But if you can piss off the usually genteel Randy Meisner to the point where he takes a swing at you, then I must assume Glenn really knows how to push people's buttons (I believe Randy's line to Glenn was "who the fuck made you the leader of the Eagles"?).

:)
Let's see here.
Bernie pours a beer over Glenn's head.
Randy takes a swing at Glenn
Felder and Glenn trade threats on stage leading Felder to smash a guitar, even if it was his cheapest one.
There is one common denominator here...Glenn Frey.

EagleLady
08-06-2010, 08:10 PM
You may want to do some research before spouting off against Glenn.

Eve
08-06-2010, 08:11 PM
You may want to do some research before spouting off against Glenn.

LOL! What ARE you talking about NOW?

GettheLeadonOut!!
08-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Here's the description for the up-coming book, not an exact quote, from Google.

“Take It Easy.” “Lyin' Eyes.” “One of These Nights.” “Hotel California.” These songs are among the most memorable ever written, and they all came from the Eagles. This gorgeous volume traces the history of the group from the beginning through to the present. Tells about the albums, the tours, the fights, the triumphs, the awards, and the remarkable Hell Freezes Over (otherwise known as their 1994 reunion tour), The Eagles offers a truly unique look at how the group exported the Southern California lifestyle to every corner of the world.

Andrew Vaughn is a respected Nashville-based writer and authority on country music. He has been a guest on BBC Radio, BBC TV and VH1, and has written books on the history of country music.

Here's more from Amazon:

"This astonishing volume also tells the gripping tale of the fateful night in Cincinnati 1975 when guitarist Bernie Leadon effectively quit the band by pouring a 12oz Budweiser long neck over the head of singer Glenn Frey. Other harrowing tales include the night in which bassist Randy Meisner threw Frey up against a wall after being taunted that he was a "pussy" for not wanting to sing "Take It to the Limit" one more time. It also includes a song by song (ie. blow by blow) retelling (done a chapter at a time) of the vicious taunts hurled between Frey and guitarist Don Felder as the band played their final concert ultimately breaking up the band for nearly 14 years."

I can't wait for this book!! :thumbsup:

Eve
08-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Here's more from Amazon:

"This astonishing volume also tells the gripping tale of the fateful night in Cincinnati 1975 when guitarist Bernie Leadon effectively quit the band by pouring a 12oz Budweiser long neck over the head of singer Glenn Frey. Other harrowing tales include the night in which bassist Randy Meisner threw Frey up against a wall after being taunted that he was a "pussy" for not wanting to sing "Take It to the Limit" one more time. It also includes a song by song (ie. blow by blow) retelling (done a chapter at a time) of the vicious taunts hurled between Frey and guitarist Don Felder as the band played their final concert ultimately breaking up the band for nearly 14 years."

I know, it's going to be fun. :thumbsup:

EaglesFanatic
08-06-2010, 09:27 PM
This sounds like a good book! I'll have to get it when it comes out. As for the whole Glenn Frey dispute... I 100% agree with FP. I agree with the fact that he has not taken advantage of his power during shows, meaning, he really doesn't sing many songs during an Eagles concert. I think that we all have the right to our opinions, but none of us really know Frey well enough to jump to conclusions and say whether he is a 'dick' or not.

sodascouts
08-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Here's more from Amazon:

Ah, GTLO, you clever boy!

But I'm afraid those who are looking for this paragraph in the book will be disappointed. ;)

08-07-2010, 12:59 PM
I read through the comments from yesterday, and, IMO, the issues here aren’t about having a right to an opinion, or whose Eagle is the best, or whose fans display blind loyalty. The issue is about being respectful of one another.

It is understandable when fans want to come to the defense of their favorite member that disagreements can occur. This is why our Netiquette Guidelines address this type of thing. Many of us are happy to debate issues with others on this board. Even when we don’t agree, we can usually manage to respectfully disagree. The great thing about this board is that most members try to keep the environment pleasant and fun by following the basic rules of common courtesy.

sodascouts
09-10-2010, 12:09 AM
Lefsetz wrote about the new book:

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2010/09/04/take-it-to-the-limit/

GlennLover
09-10-2010, 12:46 AM
Well I hope what he calls "new pictures" are really "new". We've seen pictures of them in Lear jets & getting off larger planes!

Soda, love your sig!

TimothyBFan
09-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Well I hope what he calls "new pictures" are really "new". We've seen pictures of them in Lear jets & getting off larger planes!

I was thinking the exact same thing. Fingers crossed but I doubt it.

09-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Yeah - I need to pre-order this today. Even though there's probably not much new in there, I've got to read all things Eagles. :thumbsup: Besides it's a must have since our own board admin had some input into it. I'm anxious to find out if the author heeded her suggestions.

GlennLover
09-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Yeah - I need to pre-order this today. Even though there's probably not much new in there, I've got to read all things Eagles. :thumbsup: Besides it's a must have since our own board admin had some input into it. I'm anxious to find out if the author heeded her suggestions.

He had better or he'll ger this! :steviesmack:

EaglesFanatic
09-10-2010, 08:44 PM
This is off topic, but I didn't know where else to put it-anyways, I have a little confession to make... I have in fact not read any Eagles books! But I really want to. I'm going to the bookstore tomorrow, so I was wondering which book everyone thinks is the best read, or which book you enjoyed the most. Thanks everyone :)

Eve
09-10-2010, 09:10 PM
This is off topic, but I didn't know where else to put it-anyways, I have a little confession to make... I have in fact not read any Eagles books! But I really want to. I'm going to the bookstore tomorrow, so I was wondering which book everyone thinks is the best read, or which book you enjoyed the most. Thanks everyone :)

I liked Marc Elliot's "To the Limit" and Felder's "Heaven and Hell".

09-10-2010, 09:50 PM
EF - Here is the link to a thread where we discussed several of the books written about the band:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1031

Honestly, most of them all have pretty much the same information. It really is kinda like if you've read one, you've read 'em all. However, that didn't stop me from reading them anyway. :wink:

Besides the two that Eve mentioned, I personally thought that The Eagles: Flying High by Laura Jackson was the most objective.

GlennLover
09-11-2010, 12:57 AM
EF - Here is the link to a thread where we discussed several of the books written about the band:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1031

Honestly, most of them all have pretty much the same information. It really is kinda like if you've read one, you've read 'em all. However, that didn't stop me from reading them anyway. :wink:

Besides the two that Eve mentioned, I personally thought that The Eagles: Flying High by Laura Jackson was the most objective.

I agree with you there Dreamer.

Eve
09-11-2010, 07:31 AM
I personally thought the Laura Jackson one was the worst.
The Marc Shapiro one is not bad.

EaglesFanatic
09-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the input! I think I might go with To The Limit

sodascouts
09-11-2010, 03:47 PM
I think Eliot's To the Limit is the most informative about the band in general from the early days onwards. He had access to Don Henley, although Henley was displeased with the final result. While this makes it Henley-centric, it still has a lot more (then) new info than the others which are mostly regurgitations of magazine articles. Of course Don Felder's is first-hand, but naturally it's more about him than the band. It's an autobiography, after all! Bias is to be expected.

Eve
09-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the input! I think I might go with To The Limit

You should read Felder's book next. If I had it, I'd send it to you, but it's on my Kindle. I have certain passages bookmarked. :D

Glennhoney
09-11-2010, 08:17 PM
...may I ask Eve, how you like your Kindle?.....It's just been made available on Amazon Canada!

tbsfan
09-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Don't know about subsequent printings but I bought it when it was initially published and found quite a few errors. He got a few things about Timothy wrong. As far as the other stuff, there was nothing in the book I hadn't heard before, and far too much about David Geffen.

I think Eliot's To the Limit is the most informative about the band in general from the early days onwards. He had access to Don Henley, although Henley was displeased with the final result. While this makes it Henley-centric, it still has a lot more (then) new info than the others which are mostly regurgitations of magazine articles. Of course Don Felder's is first-hand, but naturally it's more about him than the band. It's an autobiography, after all! Bias is to be expected.

Eve
09-12-2010, 07:33 AM
I absolutely love it!

Glennhoney
09-12-2010, 01:03 PM
..I think that will have to be my Xmas gift this year....must start dropping some hints around...thanks..

TimothyBFan
09-22-2010, 07:15 AM
Received the same email last night. Then this morning I received an email saying my order had been shipped but on further inspection, it's just the other 3 rock n roll books I ordered at the same time and still showing the Eagles book shipping aproximately the 27th. :-( Can't wait!!

I just can't figure out Amazon tho... maybe someone else can enlighten me. When I preordered the Eagles book a long time ago, in order to get the free shipping, I ordered 3 other books that were in stock. They held off shipping them because they would ship all 4 together, yet they are actually shipping those 3 before the Eagles book now anyways. Why make me wait if you were going to ship them all separate anyways? Whatever, excited to get them all!! One is a Keith Richards book which sounds hilarious.

TimothyBFan
09-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Just received an email from Amazon saying my book has shipped!!! YAY!!

AzEaglesFan
09-22-2010, 08:13 PM
I just checked and Amazon sent me an e mail too. My book is on the way. Can hardly wait to see if it has anything new or just same old stuff reworded.

TimothyBFan
09-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Have to send Larry to the post office on his way home tonight then!! :partytime:

Brooke
09-29-2010, 10:13 AM
I got mine last week, too! Haven't had much time to look at it, but it's really a big book! Very nice! I love it! Can't wait to get time to really look it over.

GlennLover
09-29-2010, 11:31 AM
I've ordered mine from Amazon.ca, but there not available to ship until Oct 5. Can't wait but I'm not expecting anything new.

09-29-2010, 12:57 PM
I got my book yesterday although I haven't had a chance to read it. I did briefly browse through it, and agree that it is very attractive. Have to withhold judgment about the content until later.

Brooke
09-29-2010, 01:09 PM
I did read the inside cover and was mildly disgusted that they spelled Glenn with one n. I thought "oh great!", but browsing through the book I noticed it was spelled correctly inside. :rolleyes:

GlennLover
09-29-2010, 06:16 PM
I got my book yesterday although I haven't had a chance to read it. I did briefly browse through it, and agree that it is very attractive. Have to withhold judgment about the content until later.

Dreamer, did you notice any pics that you hadn't seen before?

10-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Well, I still haven't gotten a chance to read the book yet. I hope to find some time during the next week to do that. GL, I think there are a few pictures that I hadn't seen before, but probably no more than a handful. I'll definitely examine this closer when I have more time. :wink:

WalshFan88
10-01-2010, 03:07 PM
I just got the book (I ordered To the Limit, Flying High, Essential Interviews, and this one) and I really like it. The pictures in the book are some I have not seen before. It is pretty informative.

I haven't started any of the others and I'm about half way through this new one so I don't know what this one has or doesn't compared to the other books. I wanna get The Long Run but it's out of production so I'll have to look on eBay for that one.

whitcap
10-01-2010, 03:24 PM
I wanna get The Long Run but it's out of production so I'll have to look on eBay for that one.

There are some cheap used copies on Amazon. :-)

WalshFan88
10-01-2010, 03:25 PM
There are some cheap used copies on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0711948178/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used). :-)

I will check that out! I've bought lots of stuff from Amazon before, didn't know they had this! Thanks! :)

GlennLover
10-01-2010, 03:40 PM
I just got the book (I ordered To the Limit, Flying High, Essential Interviews, and this one) and I really like it. The pictures in the book are some I have not seen before. It is pretty informative.

I haven't started any of the others and I'm about half way through this new one so I don't know what this one has or doesn't compared to the other books. I wanna get The Long Run but it's out of production so I'll have to look on eBay for that one.

Welcome WF88! Thanks for the info. I'm anxiously awaiting my copy. I've read "To The Limit" & "Flying High" & found both informative as well.

WalshFan88
10-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Welcome WF88! Thanks for the info. I'm anxiously awaiting my copy. I've read "To The Limit" & "Flying High" & found both informative as well.

Great! I can't wait to read them. I browsed through them looking for pictures today.

Shadowland07
10-05-2010, 08:43 PM
not a big deal but the picture on pg 109 has the wrong date. It says early 1973 but sure it's from 1974 lol

10-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Yeah SL - I would agree with you about that photo being from 1974.

Anyway, I finally got around to finishing the book. Even though it's not that long, it took me a couple of weeks to read it because I had to just read it bits at a time. Unfortunately, as we suspected, there really isn't anything in there that we didn't already know. However, the presentation is a bit different, so I still think it is an enjoyable and interesting read. For the most part, Vaughan seemed to get the facts correct, although it's not perfect. Honestly, it was a lot better than I expected based on what Soda described to me when she first reviewed it. I was mildly annoyed that he gives Glenn absolutely no credit at all for writing Hotel California. On the other hand, he credits a quote that Don made in the 60 minutes interview to Glenn. I will say the book definitely focuses on Glenn and Don. I thought Randy, in particular, got very little ink.

GlennLover
10-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the review, Dreamer. I got an E mail from Amazon Canada a few days ago telling me that there was a delay with shipping the book. I had hoped to have it by now. Looks like I'll be lucky if I get it by the end of this week. Oh well (it's been a good day in hell) :).

Peekaboo
10-12-2010, 04:50 AM
I finally got around to ordering this book yesterday. I should get it by the end of the week. Even though it seems to be nothing new i'm still really excited to read this one.

TimothyBFan
10-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Jess-if nothing else, you won't be disappointed in the overall appearance of the book. It's so large and the pictures, even tho we've all seen them before, are just so big and gorgeous.

Scarlet Sun
10-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Two initial thoughts:

- pg. 76: "Some critics still claim that the Eagles' debut album is their finest work." Hear, hear!:thumbsup:

- pg. 82 caption: Eagles "photographed in Topanga Canyon?" Come on!:thumbsdown:

Scarlet Sun
10-12-2010, 05:17 PM
- pg. 112: "in 1972 an original Byrd's reunion was discussed but failed to come to any kind of fruition." yikes!

Peekaboo
10-17-2010, 04:08 AM
Just got the book in the mail today. Wow!! :woah: It's big!!. I'm very pleased with the presentation of the book after only just skimming through. I really like the cover :thumbsup:. There's only a few pics that I haven't seen before. I was a bit surprised to see so many pics of other artists. Although I know there's not really anything new I still can't wait to start reading it. It should be a nice little refresher on Eagles history.

GlennLover
10-17-2010, 04:54 PM
I picked mine up from our mailbox last night. I've only had time to look at the pictures & read the captions. Peek, I too was surprised at how much ink was given to other artists (Gram Parsons, Jackson Brown, etc).
Athough I haven't read it yet it would seem that the title of the book should be The Eagles and Friends.

I noticed an error just skimming through - pg. 267 - the quote "I'd much rather make what I consider to be a really good album every twenty-eight years than to make a mediocre album every year. I'm proud of the album. And I'm glad..." is attributed to Glenn, whereas it was Don who said this in the interview with Steve Kroft on 60 Minutes in 2007.

GlennLover
10-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Sorry about that :-(

sodascouts
10-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Just speculating, but I think the reason that those others got so much ink was because Vaughn had access to people like David Crosby but not the Eagles themselves, although he has since interviewed Felder.

GlennLover
10-18-2010, 12:59 AM
Just speculating, but I think the reason that those others got so much ink was because Vaughn had access to people like David Crosby but not the Eagles themselves, although he has since interviewed Felder.

That may very well be the case, Soda. As I was skimming the book I was thinking that, here Vaughn was writing all this about the Eagles & as far as I know, never even met any of them. Of course this is true of other books also, but for some reason that thought just struck me while perusing this one :shrug:.

Nice seeing an enlarged "Come Hither"! :faint:

Glennhoney
10-19-2010, 06:06 PM
I GOT MY BOOK, I GOT MY BOOK....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glennhoney
10-19-2010, 08:45 PM
...I know I've seen all the pics and heard all the stories before, but you're right, it is a NICE book....coffee table book for all my friends to see when they drop in...and think I'm crazy...lol...

tequila girl
10-20-2010, 04:32 AM
I can't wait for mine to arrive..............it's not available through Amazon UK so i'm having to wait for it to arrive from US - it's taking a longgggggggg time! :-(

GlennLover
10-20-2010, 05:35 PM
...I know I've seen all the pics and heard all the stories before, but you're right, it is a NICE book....coffee table book for all my friends to see when they drop in...and think I'm crazy...lol...

GH, when I opened my book I said to my husband that it would make a nice coffee table book too :lol:. He said something negative at the time, but I think he was just in a bad mood, because today when I told him that you had the same thought, he pointed to the shelf underneath the top & said that the book would look good there (it's a glass top table with a glass shelf). Great minds :)!

Glennhoney
10-20-2010, 07:07 PM
...hey I'm NOT the only crazy one....lol...:thumbsup:

tequila girl
10-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Of course you're not! :partytime: :hilarious:

tequila girl
10-25-2010, 07:11 AM
I can't wait for mine to arrive..............it's not available through Amazon UK so i'm having to wait for it to arrive from US - it's taking a longgggggggg time! :-(

It's HERE!!!! :partytime: :partytime: :partytime:

10-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Enjoy, tg and let us know what you think!

tequila girl
10-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Enjoy, tg and let us know what you think!
Thanks, I will............................if I can ever manage to lift it up!! :hilarious:

Scarlet Sun
10-25-2010, 01:56 PM
I more or less find it pointless to read, but nice to have around

Glennhoney
10-25-2010, 07:23 PM
..like I said before, we've all read those stories and seen those pics, but I still enjoyed the book....I was very happy that he didn't dwell on the "bad" stuff...he just told a story...glad I bought it...

WalshFan88
10-29-2010, 04:27 PM
I just finished this book, and overall I think it's a nice addition to anyone's book collection. I'm just now starting some of the others (To the Limit, Flying High, and The Long Run) but I think this is a great coffee table book. I love the pictures in it. I'll have to read the rest of the books and see which I think is best. I'm really curious to see which one has the most information.

Freypower
11-17-2010, 10:50 PM
I picked mine up from our mailbox last night. I've only had time to look at the pictures & read the captions. Peek, I too was surprised at how much ink was given to other artists (Gram Parsons, Jackson Brown, etc).
Athough I haven't read it yet it would seem that the title of the book should be The Eagles and Friends.

I noticed an error just skimming through - pg. 267 - the quote "I'd much rather make what I consider to be a really good album every twenty-eight years than to make a mediocre album every year. I'm proud of the album. And I'm glad..." is attributed to Glenn, whereas it was Don who said this in the interview with Steve Kroft on 60 Minutes in 2007.

I saw the book today in a shop in Sydney & agree with the above about how much time is spent on other artists and how many photos there are of other artists. There was even a photo of Frank Zappa, who represented the polar extreme of Los Angeles music to the Eagles.

As for the discussion of their music, if I want to read over & over again how Don Henley became the 'star' of the band at Glenn Frey's expense, etc, etc, I will read To The Limit.

There were some nice photos and some reasonably decent discussion of LROOE but I'm afraid I didn't consider it worth buying.

EaglesFanatic
11-23-2010, 07:43 PM
I went to this really cool book store yesterday, and much to my surprise, I saw the new Eagles book sitting on their shelf. I sat down to read some parts of it. It's a very nice book! I'm glad I was able to see what it looks like :nod:

MikeA
12-25-2010, 02:19 PM
My Daughter and Son got the book for me for Christmas. I don't know how many editions were released but the one I got is a very oversized hardback. Tons of pictures as everyone has already mentioned. I haven't had time to read much of it yet. But nothing I've read so far is anything other than the same information we already have. If I come across anything new and recognize it as being such, I'll let you know.

tequila girl
12-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Mike, What a great present! I've had mine a couple of months now and apart from flicking through the photo's I really haven't read any of it....it's toooooo big! **makes mental note to self - read it tomorrow**

AzEaglesFan
12-25-2010, 08:55 PM
It's the same with me. When I first got it, I looked through it and then put it away. It is not bed time reading material. I did like the pictures that I looked at and there were some that I don't remember seeing before.
Great Christmas present, Mike

WalshFan88
12-26-2010, 02:10 AM
My Daughter and Son got the book for me for Christmas. I don't know how many editions were released but the one I got is a very oversized hardback. Tons of pictures as everyone has already mentioned. I haven't had time to read much of it yet. But nothing I've read so far is anything other than the same information we already have. If I come across anything new and recognize it as being such, I'll let you know.

Mine is the oversized hardback too.

12-26-2010, 09:05 PM
Mine is the large coffee table version as well. As I said earlier in this thread, I thought it was an interesting read, even though there wasn't really anything new in it per se. I didn't know there were other versions available. Can anyone tell me anything about them? I just may have to buy them as well if there are any significant differences. What can I say - I'm a completist! :wink:

GlennLover
12-26-2010, 11:46 PM
I've got the large one too. When I ordered it I didn't think that there were any other versions available. I have it on my coffee table & pick it up now & then to read it, but it is heavy & I haven't gotten very far. As Dreamer said, there really isn't anything new.

MikeA
12-27-2010, 12:39 AM
Even if there were other formats of the New Book, the content would be the same. I haven't heard of any other "sizes" of the release. But like the rest of you, I feel like I'd have to go to a church and use the pulpit to support the thing in order to read it.

Brooke
12-27-2010, 11:28 AM
My brother gave me the coffee table version for Christmas! First Christmas present I've gotten from him for years! I was really touched because he is the only person that knows how much I would appreciate an Eagles gift. He is a big fan of theirs, but a bigger fan of Bruce Springsteen. He has lots of his memorabilia.

Even though I already had it, I cherish that gift from him!

sodascouts
12-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Aw - how sweet!

TimothyBFan
12-28-2010, 10:03 AM
My brother also bought it for me....only to be told right after I opened it that I already had it. :hilarious: He said he just knew I probably already had it so he handed me the receipt and I will be off to Barnes & Noble to return it this coming weekend.

12-29-2010, 10:16 PM
Well after reading some of the comments about the book, I did a bit of research to try to determine if there is more than one version of this book available. As far as I can tell, only one version has been published. However, if anyone here has any information to the contrary, I hope they will post it here. I like the large coffee table version and think it is very attractive, but I would also consider buying a smaller version if available.

MikeA
12-29-2010, 11:24 PM
Well after reading some of the comments about the book, I did a bit of research to try to determine if there is more than one version of this book available. As far as I can tell, only one version has been published. However, if anyone here has any information to the contrary, I hope they will post it here. I like the large coffee table version and think it is very attractive, but I would also consider buying a smaller version if available.

Maybe just a TEXT version....we already have the pictures <LOL>

Glennsallnighter
12-30-2010, 03:26 AM
Yeah! My brother got it for me for Christmas and I must say I too was surprised at the size of the book too. Some nice large versions of some of my favourite pictures are in it, but as Dreamer and some others have said, there doesn't seem to be any new information. Though I haven't had a LOT of time to read it!

WalshFan88
12-31-2010, 09:19 AM
I really like the book, it did have some info I didn't know about, but that was the first Eagles book I've read. I have now read To The Limit and Flying High. I'm going to be ordering The Long Run soon to check it out. But my favorite thing about this book is DEFINITELY the pics!

EaglesFanatic
01-01-2011, 02:53 AM
I got the coffee table edition for Chanukkah. I didn't know there were different versions. I'm almost done with To The Limit, so I can't wait to read the new one once I'm done :)

Freypower
01-01-2011, 05:45 PM
As far as we know this is the only edition of the book.

Tiffanny Twisted
03-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Yipeee soda....way to go

Thirsty&Hot
11-18-2013, 04:59 PM
on several pages there are parts of a 1976 tour program with pictures and words like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/photo31_zps1c262d42.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/songbirdreleased/media/Eagles%20etc/photo31_zps1c262d42.jpg.html)

but the words don't appear to be Eagles' lyrics...
and a search for them didn't bring anything up...

does anyone know what the words are? who wrote them? etc