PDA

View Full Version : Documentaries / Shows about the Eagles

sodascouts
08-19-2010, 03:06 AM
There's a few documentaries or shows that include information about the Eagles, and I thought we could talk about them here.

I'm afraid I am going to get the thread off to a rocky start with one that I just saw on Netflix called The World's Greatest Albums: Desperado (http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The_World_s_Greatest_Albums_Eagles_Desperado/70068750). It is awful. The commentators are all British DJs and journalists who consistently mispronounce Glenn's last name as "Fray." How can you take any rock journalist seriously who does that?!

No band interviews, of course, but there's not even interviews of their peers or people who knew them. Instead, there's just talking heads giving fifth-hand accounts about how Leadon, Meisner, Henley, and "Fray" formed the Eagles and made Desperado.... with lots of speculative "I think what they were trying to do was..." type statements.

Some of what they say is downright incorrect - for instance, they repeat the common misconception that the Eagles got started as Linda Ronstadt's touring band. In actuality, they only played together behind her once prior to the formation of the band, although each man had been in her backing band at one point over the preceding few years. Yeah, it's a little thing, but if you're going to do a "documentary" on the Eagles, do your research.

Additionally, the documentary excerpts a couple grainy videos of two songs from the Seattle and Houston 1976 bootlegs that happen to look exactly the same as the videos from those concerts I put up for download on GFO (http://www.glennfreyonline.com). If these guys are having to go to the internet for their clips, it tells you just how high-quality the operation is. The rest of the clips, which presumably are legitimately licensed rather than snagged from the internet, are all from the BBC 1973 and the Kirshner 1974 concerts.

It is amateurish crap. Stay away!

GlennLover
08-19-2010, 12:48 PM
I have that video. Picked it up for $10 at Walmart over a year ago. I agree with everything that you said about it. Glenn "Fray" drives me around the bend! :crazy: Did you notice though, the 1st time that the guy with the long blond hair says Glenn's name he pronounces it correctly & then calls him "Fray" throughout the remainder of the video? :-x Whenever I hear someone say that the Eagles were Linda's backup band I cringe.

Freypower
08-19-2010, 06:39 PM
This yet again emphasises the fact that we need a proper, authorised history with contributions from the former members. Whether this would ever see the light of day given certain events however, I doubt. My husband just got a Rush documentary which covers their entire career. Even their parents are intereviewed. The Eagles it appears are not that sort of band. The books about them have also been disappointing.

MikeA
08-20-2010, 08:29 AM
FP, you mention "RUSH". They are here in Wichita, Kansas TONIGHT doing the "Time Machine Tour". "Moving Pictures" in its entirety for the concert. I hope I got that right. I have never been a devoted fan of the band but do like their music...or most of it anyway.

I don't have tickets to the cert tonight.

TimothyBFan
08-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Mike if you see Geddy hanging around anywhere, will you send him to Indiana. I think he'd be fun to just hang with for awhile. Great sense of humor. You ought to go see them.

Ive always been a dreamer
08-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Gosh Soda - I thought you already had that. I've had that DVD for quite some time. Can't believe I never talked to you about it. The pronounication of 'Frey' as 'Fray' is a pretty annoying, especially after he said it correctly the first time as GL said. :roll:

GettheLeadonOut!!
08-30-2010, 08:14 PM
I feel your guys pain. I just saw the documentary Eagles: Music in Review and I thought it too was terrible. A bunch of Brits with no real knowledge or insight in the band. It was annoying when these "experts" would mispronounce Bernie's last name as "Leeedon" (it's pronounced Led-on dammit!!). As usual, Henley & Frey get all the credit and scant mention is made of Bernie, Randy and Felder.

I would love just one doc, to interview all of the members (current and former) to get the real story.

08-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Well – that would be awesome if all seven past and present members would share their story. I’m sure it would give us some more insight about the inner workings of the band and the personalities of each member. I know I would be chomping at the bit to get my hands on it. However, I’m still not sure we’d get the 'real' story from anyone in the band. Not that they would intentionally lie, but quite honestly, I don’t know if any of the members are capable of giving us anything other than their own recollection and perception of events that took place 30 - 40 years ago when their minds were in a chemically-induced state much of the time. Whenever there would be discrepancies or inconsistencies in their recollections, how would we know who to believe? Although, we may get bits of additional information here and there, my guess is that we already have as close as we’ll ever get to the truth about the band’s early days. However, information is even more scarce about the band since the HFO reunion – that’s what I’m hoping to learn more about eventually.

sodascouts
08-31-2010, 10:43 AM
Leeedon? Ill-informed British music journalists claim another victim!

GettheLeadonOut!!
08-31-2010, 05:05 PM
Leeedon? Ill-informed British music journalists claim another victim!

"...and I laughed when the joker said Leeedon...." :hilarious:

Freypower
08-31-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm afraid I thought it was 'Leedon' until I saw the Under the Covers documentary (and Train Leaves Here This Morning didn't lead (ha ha) me to think any differently). I worked out the pronunciation of 'Frey' reasonably quickly because I think I heard a radio interview around the time of Hotel California.

GettheLeadonOut!!
09-01-2010, 01:57 PM
and I watched as the smoker passed it on/
and I laughed when the joker said, "Lead on"

As I've stated before, this lyric by Gene Clark must have been an inside joke to Bernie about about people mispronouncing his last name because quite frankly, it doesn't make a bit of sense to me otherwise.

And getting back to documentaries, the BBC's Hotel California: Byrds to the Eagles from 2007 is my favorite. Perhaps because it focuses on their early days and Bernie is interviewed extensively.

Scarlet Sun
09-01-2010, 02:51 PM

As I've stated before, this lyric by Gene Clark must have been an inside joke to Bernie about about people mispronouncing his last name because quite frankly, it doesn't make a bit of sense to me otherwise.\
Perhaps the other meaning is "lead on, smoke it . .. "

Eve
09-01-2010, 04:06 PM

As I've stated before, this lyric by Gene Clark must have been an inside joke to Bernie about about people mispronouncing his last name because quite frankly, it doesn't make a bit of sense to me otherwise.

And getting back to documentaries, the BBC's Hotel California: Byrds to the Eagles from 2007 is my favorite. Perhaps because it focuses on their early days and Bernie is interviewed extensively.

That is a fabulous documentary. Bernie looks great!!

whitcap
09-01-2010, 06:49 PM

That's a great one. Its my favorite too. (Thanks p47 :))

Shadowland07
09-05-2010, 12:15 PM
so basically it sounds like the Eagles need to put out a documentary like the Beatles did. The Anthology dvds are great, it covers everything from the Beatles childhoods until Let It Be is realised in 1970. If the Eagles did that....it'd be amazing. They could interview past and current members and of course show clips from concerts, because they never did any music videos lol. I'd certainly buy it.

Freypower
09-05-2010, 07:09 PM
so basically it sounds like the Eagles need to put out a documentary like the Beatles did. The Anthology dvds are great, it covers everything from the Beatles childhoods until Let It Be is realised in 1970. If the Eagles did that....it'd be amazing. They could interview past and current members and of course show clips from concerts, because they never did any music videos lol. I'd certainly buy it.

There are music videos for the following songs:

Hotel California
The Long Run
I Can't Tell You Why
In The City (but amazingly, not Heartache Tonight)
Hole In The World
How Long
Busy Being Fabulous

And really the BBC and Kirshner footage could be counted as 'music videos'.

There would have to be agreement on what could and could not be said and given recent events I can't see it happening.

Glennsallnighter
02-14-2015, 01:35 PM
For any of you with (British) Sky TV, there is currently a documentary about the album Desperado on channel 192 (Showcase). Its is also being repeated on Channel 238 (Showcase +1) at 6 pm

Funk 50
02-14-2015, 01:52 PM
Thanks Glennsallnighter, I'm on it :thumbsup:

UndertheWire
02-15-2015, 12:33 PM
I managed to catch that and it was... not good. The clips would have been nice except the picture quality was awful and I've seen better versions elsewhere (BBC 1973, Don Kirschner's etc). And the talking heads...
"Frey" and "Leadon" were consistently mispronounced, the information about the band was superficial and occasionally inaccurate and I didn't know who any of them were except for Barney Hoskyns. Considering it was supposed to be about a "greatest album", most of them seemed quite unenthusiastic.

I still watched it all the way through, so thanks for the heads up.

GlennLover
02-15-2015, 02:15 PM
I managed to catch that and it was... not good. The clips would have been nice except the picture quality was awful and I've seen better versions elsewhere (BBC 1973, Don Kirschner's etc). And the talking heads...
"Frey" and "Leadon" were consistently mispronounced, the information about the band was superficial and occasionally inaccurate and I didn't know who any of them were except for Barney Hoskyns. Considering it was supposed to be about a "greatest album", most of them seemed quite unenthusiastic.

I still watched it all the way through, so thanks for the heads up.

This sounds like the one I bought at Walmart a few years ago. I wasn't impressed!

thelastresort
02-15-2015, 05:08 PM
I'm sure there's a DVD of a similar topic with similar reviews on Amazon...

02-15-2015, 05:27 PM
Yeah GL, I agree. I got the same one that you did off Amazon and it does sound like the same one. Not that great, for sure!

UndertheWire
02-15-2015, 05:32 PM
I'm sure it's that one.

sodascouts
02-16-2015, 03:07 PM
I've also seen this. I seriously think they got their clips and info off the internet. Not even kidding.

Dawn
06-16-2018, 11:55 AM
Has anyone else seen this documentary? It's available on Amazon Prime (free to members). Personally, I am afraid I have to agree with the 7 reviewers and the overall 1/5 star rating. Not. Good. Waste. Of. Time. Money.

Eagles in Performance DVD

https://www.amazon.com/Eagles-Performance-Bob-Carruthers/dp/B079GL155B

sodascouts
06-16-2018, 12:41 PM
Is this another one of those lame British ones? I think so many come out of Britain because they have different copyright laws and the Eagles can't sue them!

06-16-2018, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the link, Dawn. I watched the trailer and I don't think I've seen this one, but it's hard to tell. I may be mistaken, but the long-haired blonde narrator looks like he may be the same amateur that was in the 'Desperado' doc that was discussed earlier in this thread - the one that pronounced Frey as 'Fray'. In any event, it sounds like the quality is comparable and definitely not worth the time or money to watch, AFAIC.

sodascouts
06-16-2018, 02:19 PM
Those reviews are brutal! Looks like we Borderers could do a better job simply by narrating clips culled from my bootleg collection! That brown frame they use to disguise the low quality of their clips is a very amateurish add-on, straight out of a cheap video-editing software program that even I could apply.

I am serious - this is a complete amateur job that anyone with a digital camera, bootlegs, and video editing software could put together. Too bad they were lacking the rudimentary knowledge of the Eagles that would have allowed them to pronounce Glenn's name correctly.

New Kid In Town
06-16-2018, 03:19 PM
Those reviews are brutal! Looks like we Borderers could do a better job simply by narrating clips culled from my bootleg collection! That brown frame they use to disguise the low quality of their clips is a very amateurish add-on, straight out of a cheap video-editing software program that even I could apply.

I am serious - this is a complete amateur job that anyone with a digital camera, bootlegs, and video editing software could put together. Too bad they were lacking the rudimentary knowledge of the Eagles that would have allowed them to pronounce Glenn's name correctly.

I just clicked on to the site - it got one star ! I think that says a lot about the "documentary".

Dawn
06-16-2018, 07:40 PM
Hi NKIT - thankfully I did not pay to watch it, it's free to prime members which apparently I still am though I did cancel again. I just don't use Amazon on a regular basis like I used to so not worth the monthly fee. It is wise to read reviews!

New Kid In Town
06-16-2018, 09:38 PM
Hi Dawn - I am not a Prime member so I could not watch it. Thanks for posting that though. I think one of the problems is there has been so little done in terms of documentaries, excluding HOTE. Kind of amazing when you consider how big the Eagles were/are.

Shadowland07
06-19-2018, 01:47 AM
Why am I watching this? They pronounce Frey and Leadon wrong. The English musician mistakes Bob Seger with Pete Seger, and says that Glenn was originally hired as back up vocalist for Pete Seger and Linda Ronstadt but took up playing rhythm guitar so he wouldn't be standing around doing nothing. This English musician states that Felder joined as a rhythm guitarist to help elevate Bernie's leads. I can't finish it right now, got 20 minutes into it.

sodascouts
07-11-2018, 01:45 AM
This Sunday, Reelz's series Breaking the Band is doing an episode on the Eagles.

I've seen their episode on Fleetwood Mac, and it was awful - intercut with real footage and photos, they used actors that looked nothing like the band members to do ridiculous "re-enactments" of arguments and such. Talking heads, most of which had nothing to do with the band, made obvious statements like "It's very difficult to work with someone who you've broken up with." There was also a lot of inaccuracies.

I think we can expect more of the same for the Eagles episode.

It might be worth a watch just for the giggles; the Mac episode did fall under the heading of "Hilariously Bad."

UndertheWire
07-11-2018, 08:59 AM
There's a preview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oEh3dDeVuY

The reenactments are quite funny.

I believe the guy with a hat is Barney Hoskyns.

shunlvswx
07-11-2018, 09:20 AM
I recorded the Fleetwood Mac one and I have to DVR the Eagles one because I'll be on a cruise when it comes on.

I watched that video clip early this morning before I headed to work. Its going to be interesting.

I'm guessing by what I've heard about Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles episodes, it looks like this show is mostly going to be about bands fighting and then breaking up.

CAinOH
07-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Hey! Looks like I actually get this channel! Wow, who'da thunk it? I'll have to check it out.

My My
07-11-2018, 11:16 AM
There's a preview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oEh3dDeVuY

The reenactments are quite funny.

I believe the guy with a hat is Barney Hoskyns.

Thanks, UTW. Looks so bad that it's hilarious! I recorded a show about the Eagles on Audience Network a couple of years ago and it was horrible too. Names mispronounced and rehashing of pictures, clips, and information that is readily available to everyone. Needless to say, it was erased quickly.
Almost everything I've seen on Reelz has been horrible re-enactments of celebrities' tragic last days.

On a different note, Shun, have a wonderful time on your cruise! You've had quite the summer so far!

New Kid In Town
07-11-2018, 11:27 AM
Thanks, UTW. Looks so bad that it's hilarious! I recorded a show about the Eagles on Audience Network a couple of years ago and it was horrible too. Names mispronounced and rehashing of pictures, clips, and information that is readily available to everyone. Needless to say, it was erased quickly.
Almost everything I've seen on Reelz has been horrible re-enactments of celebrities' tragic last days.

On a different note, Shun, have a wonderful time on your cruise! You've had quite the summer so far!

I saw a preview this morning on The Fastlane FB Page. The acting was terrible and all they talked about was the arguing. I never heard of this station before and had to check my cable guide to see if I get it - I do - lol. It's on Sunday at 10 PM EST. it seems like almost every special done about the group is terrible with the same-old-same-old stuff.

Shun, have a great time on your cruise !

East Texas Girl
07-11-2018, 03:37 PM
I have it set to record as well. I'm sure nothing "new" will be brought up that my fellow borderer's have not seen or heard before. :)

Have a great time and safe travels, Shun!

sodascouts
07-11-2018, 05:01 PM
Yes, safe travels, shun!

Watched the preview. Oh my gosh, those actors... yikes!

shunlvswx
07-11-2018, 07:04 PM
Thanks everybody. Driving down to New Orleans tomorrow morning and sailing out tomorrow afternoon.

groupie2686
07-13-2018, 11:52 AM
This Sunday, Reelz's series Breaking the Band is doing an episode on the Eagles.

I've seen their episode on Fleetwood Mac, and it was awful - intercut with real footage and photos, they used actors that looked nothing like the band members to do ridiculous "re-enactments" of arguments and such. Talking heads, most of which had nothing to do with the band, made obvious statements like "It's very difficult to work with someone who you've broken up with." There was also a lot of inaccuracies.

I think we can expect more of the same for the Eagles episode.

It might be worth a watch just for the giggles; the Mac episode did fall under the heading of "Hilariously Bad."

I've seen a few things on the Reelz channel and they've all been trashy...tabloid TV at its worst. (Dirty Laundry always comes to mind when I'm watching it). The worst is these "autopsy" shows they do, trying to make celebrity deaths sound scandalous when they weren't - like George Harrison died of cancer, there is nothing scandalous there.

I might watch it anyway though, I can't resist anything Eagles-related.

Lobster Bat Ears
07-13-2018, 04:57 PM
I know a very rare piece that I have never seen discussed, maybe it has here but I'm new forgive me, and I've searched YouTube and no luck. It was on one of the evening news shows back in probably 80 and I distinctly recall seeing it as a 11 year old Eagles fan, yes I started early thanks to my bro and sis. 20/20, Primetime Live was it called or something like that. My first time ever seeing the boys on TV.

The segment was on music and politics and centered around Jerry Brown. I don't recall an interview with the Eagles but very vividly recall seeing a short onstage clip (probably from the LA shows) and backstage as the limos sped off and Felder standing up out of the sunroof of one. May have been wearing the jersey someone here has as an avatar.

That is about all I recall, I was a kid, but was amazed I finally saw my favorite band on TV. Wow how far we've come with the availability these days.

Does anyone here recall this? I would dearly love to see it again. I have never found any mention of it online.

New Kid In Town
07-14-2018, 09:29 AM
LBE - I Love your chosen name - it cracks me up !
I have never heard of or seen the tv piece you are talking about. It could have been 20/20 or one of the other shows discussing Jerry Brown. I know he ran for President at least once but I can not remember the exact date and I am too lazy to look it up(sorry).

New Kid In Town
07-16-2018, 03:38 PM
Anyone see the documentary last night on Reelz ? Just wondering what everyone thought. I watched but will hold my opinion as I want to see what others post.

My My
07-16-2018, 03:55 PM
Forgot to record it, but it is on again on Thursday 7/19 at 8:00 and 11;00. So come on, NKIT, should I record it? Was is it as horrible as most of the stuff on Reelz? So bad it's good? Worth a laugh? Give it up, NKIT, lol...

East Texas Girl
07-16-2018, 04:20 PM
I recorded the Reelz program from last night, but have not watched it yet.

New Kid In Town
07-16-2018, 05:56 PM
Forgot to record it, but it is on again on Thursday 7/19 at 8:00 and 11;00. So come on, NKIT, should I record it? Was is it as horrible as most of the stuff on Reelz? So bad it's good? Worth a laugh? Give it up, NKIT, lol...

My My - lol ! Yes, the acting was terrible. I had never heard of or watched this station before and was not sure what to expect until I saw the preview posted on the Fastlane FB page. They said Glenn conceived and started the band and was the genius behind the bands success. Otherwise it made Don out to be the creative genius. Henry D. and Marc Eliott were interviewed as was Barney Hoskyns(the guy who wrote the book Hotel Calif.) They also gave credit to Don instead of Glenn for the idea about" the hotel in the distance" as part of the lyrics for HC. This is despite the fact the Don and Glenn have credited it to Glenn in numerous interviews. They had a psy. and another person evaluating/ giving their opinion on everything. I would say tape it - you can always tape over it if you don't like it.

Side Note - They had a show on Gram Parsons where they analyzed his autopsy and why he died. Also nothing we did not know before. But, they went into his crazy childhood and how that affected him as an adult.

Dawn
07-16-2018, 06:06 PM
My My - lol ! Yes, the acting was terrible. I had never heard of or watched this station before and was not sure what to expect until I saw the preview posted on the Fastlane FB page. They said Glenn conceived and started the band and was the genius behind the bands success. Otherwise it made Don out to be the creative genius. Henry D. and Marc Eliott were interviewed as was Barney Hoskyns(the guy who wrote the book Hotel Calif.) They also gave credit to Don instead of Glenn for the idea about" the hotel in the distance" as part of the lyrics for HC. This is despite the fact the Don and Glenn have credited it to Glenn in numerous interviews. They had a psy. and another person evaluating/ giving their opinion on everything. I would say tape it - you can always tape over it if you don't like it.

Side Note - They had a show on Gram Parsons where they analyzed his autopsy and why he died. Also nothing we did not know before. But, they went into his crazy childhood and how that affected him as an adult.

Oh joy, another documentary that plays fast and loose with the facts.

Thanks NKIT, appreciate the feedback. I will keep my fingers crossed one day someone will tell the true story about the Eagles. They deserve nothing less.

shunlvswx
07-17-2018, 09:22 AM
Oh joy, another documentary that plays fast and loose with the facts.

Thanks NKIT, appreciate the feedback. I will keep my fingers crossed one day someone will tell the true story about the Eagles. They deserve nothing less.

I'm sorry to say Dawn. That's never going to happen. It looks like HOTE will be the only documentary that's true and comes right from the guys mouths and not people's opinions on something they are spinning. Well. Family Tree special from VH1 in the 90s was the beginning of the documentary before HOTE came around over 20 years later.

East Texas Girl
07-17-2018, 11:52 AM
I watched it and agree it was bad....the actors, their wigs and their horrible mustaches. :thumbsdown:

The highlight of the show was the actual Eagles photos and footage.

Dawn
07-17-2018, 01:16 PM
Yes, I believe you are right Shun. And true, we have the HOTE documentary which I have watched more times than I can count and am very thankful exists.

shunlvswx
07-18-2018, 02:47 PM
I had the chance to watch it last night. It was interested. I didn't know they had audio soundbytes from the guys. It was some stories from the guys I've never heard of. So it was new to me.

So they also took video clips from the London press conference of HOTE and put it in there. I wonder where they got the audio soundbytes of Don, Glenn and Felder from.

sodascouts
09-30-2018, 06:42 PM
I watched this so-called documentary again last week with Dreamer and I wondered about the use of the soundbytes, too. The interview with Felder looked like they got it off YouTube!

Those audio clips gave it an air of legitimacy it didn't deserve. I guess it's perfectly legal to use those interviews, even though the guys obviously didn't give their permission. The interviews belong to whomever interviewed them, I suppose, and those media entities were presumably paid. It seems wrong, though.

And I know this is shallow, but couldn't they find guys who looked more like the band members? The guy they hired for Glenn was so unattractive that I thought whoever cast him must hate Glenn! Considering all the times they said things that amounted to "Glenn was intimidated by how Don Henley was more talented / more intelligent / more charismatic etc" then maybe I wasn't too far off! :rolleyes:

One thing they did get right, though: the clothes. I was surprised that they recreated things like Glenn's "Free Bobby Knight" t-shirt.

sodascouts
09-30-2018, 06:49 PM
In case you haven't seen it or need your memory jogged, I'll repost that clip so you can see what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oEh3dDeVuY

New Kid In Town
10-23-2018, 12:58 AM
I watched this so-called documentary again last week with Dreamer and I wondered about the use of the soundbytes, too. The interview with Felder looked like they got it off YouTube!

Those audio clips gave it an air of legitimacy it didn't deserve. I guess it's perfectly legal to use those interviews, even though the guys obviously didn't give their permission. The interviews belong to whomever interviewed them, I suppose, and those media entities were presumably paid. It seems wrong, though.

And I know this is shallow, but couldn't they find guys who looked more like the band members? The guy they hired for Glenn was so unattractive that I thought whoever cast him must hate Glenn! Considering all the times they said things that amounted to "Glenn was intimidated by how Don Henley was more talented / more intelligent / more charismatic etc" then maybe I wasn't too far off! :rolleyes:

One thing they did get right, though: the clothes. I was surprised that they recreated things like Glenn's "Free Bobby Knight" t-shirt.

OMG - The acting and their statement that Glenn was intimidated by how Don Henley was more talented, more intelligent and more charismatic pissed me off so much I never caught the "Free Bobby Knight" t-shirt ! I watched it again the other night. I had to laugh when they attributed Glenn's sloppiness as to the reason Don moved out from the house they shared together. One of the worst specials/documentaries I ever saw on the group.
Question, what did Dreamer think of it ?

My My
10-23-2018, 11:27 AM
I recorded and watched it this summer. Needless to say, I erased it! Lot's of bad acting and opinions by TV therapists. One thing I did find interesting though, was the total lack of Eagles music in the show. This was one in a series about bands breaking up. I also watched the one about The Supremes and one about The Beachboys. They all were somewhat similar with bad, overwrought acting and the same "knowledgeable" therapist. The main difference was that the other two shows included lots of musical clips and recordings. I think it illustrates how tightly held the rights are to any Eagles music as compared to other bands.

Pippinwhite
10-23-2018, 11:43 AM
Actually, the part about Don moving out because Glenn was a slob is probably one of the few truths in it! LOLOLOL. I mean, we all know how most guys that age are, left to their own devices. It's not like they were two 60-something men living together. They were two 20-somethings, they had money and they liked to party. I suspect that house was a pit, and I wouldn't have wanted to clean it! Heh.
But otherwise, yeah. It wasn't anything resembling a documentary. It was a dumpster fire.

New Kid In Town
10-23-2018, 12:50 PM
Actually, the part about Don moving out because Glenn was a slob is probably one of the few truths in it! LOLOLOL. I mean, we all know how most guys that age are, left to their own devices. It's not like they were two 60-something men living together. They were two 20-somethings, they had money and they liked to party. I suspect that house was a pit, and I wouldn't have wanted to clean it! Heh.
But otherwise, yeah. It wasn't anything resembling a documentary. It was a dumpster fire.

Hi Pippin - how are things going. That move out occurred during the making of the HC album. Just MHO but I think it was more over the power struggle and control of the band. Glenn stated an interview I read in the 80's that he gave up too much and should not have done so. From OOTN on, Don was the lead vocalist. The no longer split the vocals like they did in the past. By 1976, it appears Glenn cleaned up his appearance. I believe it was about this time he began dating his first wife, who was a Texas deb from a wealthy cattle family. I think the sloppy house had nothing to do with it. Like I said, just MHO.

Pippinwhite
10-23-2018, 02:25 PM
@NKIT -- I'm OK. Thanks! Yeah, I'm sure you're right. That's just probably the least malignant thing in that cesspool masquerading as a "documentary".

10-23-2018, 03:09 PM
OMG - The acting and their statement that Glenn was intimidated by how Don Henley was more talented, more intelligent and more charismatic pissed me off so much I never caught the "Free Bobby Knight" t-shirt ! I watched it again the other night. I had to laugh when they attributed Glenn's sloppiness as to the reason Don moved out from the house they shared together. One of the worst specials/documentaries I ever saw on the group.
Question, what did Dreamer think of it ?

Well golly gee - thanks a lot for reminding me about this farcical travesty disguised as a documentary, NKIT. I was hoping to forget the whole thing! :wink: :grin:

I pretty much agree with everyone else here - it was a total waste of time watching this awful, uninformed, and infuriating piece of crap. But, I'm trying to be kind so I won't tell you what I really think. lol

As an aside, I do recall reading somewhere before about Glenn being a slob during his early years, but I can't remember where. But, he definitely seemed to clean up his act later.

FreyFollower
02-28-2019, 01:37 PM
AXS tv is advertising their "Top 10 Revealed" program this Sunday will be "Epic Songs of 1972". Within that commercial, you see a photo of Glenn. So I'm assuming "Take it Easy" will be part of that countdown, with unknown criteria. It will air at 8:30/7:30c.

Also, AXS is advertising that Farewell I will be part of their weekend concert series in March, with no specific date for it as yet.

The poor "Rock Legends" Eagles version also will be repeated on Saturday, 3:30/2:30c.

East Texas Girl
02-28-2019, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the info FF, I will be on the watch for those shows.

Brooke
02-28-2019, 03:35 PM
Thanks FF! I will try to catch everything............ except that awful doc! :nope:

Delilah
02-28-2019, 07:47 PM
Thank you for the heads-up, FreyFollower.

New Kid In Town
03-01-2019, 09:59 AM
AXS tv is advertising their "Top 10 Revealed" program this Sunday will be "Epic Songs of 1972". Within that commercial, you see a photo of Glenn. So I'm assuming "Take it Easy" will be part of that countdown, with unknown criteria. It will air at 8:30/7:30c.

Also, AXS is advertising that Farewell I will be part of their weekend concert series in March, with no specific date for it as yet.

The poor "Rock Legends" Eagles version also will be repeated on Saturday, 3:30/2:30c.

Hi FF, how are you doing. I know this is a stupid question, but is AXS pay per view or a regular channel on cable ? TY.

FreyFollower
03-01-2019, 10:39 AM
Hey, NKIT, Happy Freyday! AXS is not a pay channel. My Mom gets it on Suddenlink cable, and I used to get it on DirecTV.(They got too high for me.) I didn't even know that they carried it until I researched their line-up online. They had added it later. You might call your cable company. It's good that they carry a lot of music, since so many channels have stopped.

CAinOH
03-01-2019, 10:53 AM
Hey, NKIT, Happy Freyday! AXS is not a pay channel. My Mom gets it on Suddenlink cable, and I used to get it on DirecTV.(They got too high for me.) I didn't even know that they carried it until I researched their line-up online. They had added it later. You might call your cable company. It's good that they carry a lot of music, since so many channels have stopped.

Well, in my area on Spectrum, it is a pay channel. Darn!

FreyFollower
03-01-2019, 11:06 AM
Whoops! Sorry, CA! It seems strange to be a premium channel on some cables and not others. :shrug:

New Kid In Town
03-01-2019, 11:51 AM

I have Optimum. I think it is pay per view. I'll check with them. I already pay a fortune for my cable. Thanks Ff.

CAinOH
03-01-2019, 12:42 PM
Whoops! Sorry, CA! It seems strange to be a premium channel on some cables and not others. :shrug:

Well, Speculum, er, Spectrum is not known for their generosity. ;)

FreyFollower
03-01-2019, 03:39 PM
Well, Speculum, er, Spectrum is not known for their generosity. ;)

:rofl:

Brooke
03-01-2019, 03:42 PM
It's on my Dish! Hopefully I can catch it Sunday!

FreyFollower
03-04-2019, 10:04 AM
re:"Epic Hits of 1972"---Well, anyone who missed it didn't miss anything! Very brief clips and a couple photos, a handful of folks making comments. And "Take it Easy" #10? What a crock!

Delilah
03-29-2019, 02:42 PM

It’s now confirmed: The Farewell-Live from Melbourne concert will be shown this Sunday at 9:00 pm ET.

WalshFan88
03-29-2019, 08:07 PM
I will definitely be watching. AXS is doing the HFO video the following Sunday, btw.

sodascouts
03-30-2019, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I love AXS!

WalshFan88
03-31-2019, 09:20 PM
So I'm watching F1 on AXS. It's funny, I have F1 on DVD, Bluray, and on my computer via iTunes yet I'm so excited for it to air on TV tonight - even though I could literally unplug the satellite and still be watching it right this very minute. LOL.

Also it reminded me that I watched it on NBC when it aired with my parents WAAAAAAY before I ever was into music and guitar. I was anti-music then. I had totally forgot I saw this years ago until it was on TV tonight. All those years watching the DVD I never thought of it. The fact it is on TV sparked my memory. I asked my folks and yes, they remember sitting me down and us watching it together, lol. I had completely forgot we watched this. It's an interesting thing, I wasn't a fan then.

So I'm sitting here wondering if watching it back then somehow rubbed off on me to discover them (as I did start playing guitar because of them). I can't help but think so. Because I think F1 is just packed full of so much greatness. Eagles songs, Henley songs, Frey songs, Walsh songs, etc. It was a great mix of it all. I'm glad I got to hear Don's solo songs when I saw them on the LROOE tour as I'll likely never hear them live again. The HOTE concert is my fav, but I liked hearing TBOS a lot.

WalshFan88
03-31-2019, 10:22 PM
This show reminds me how much I love Glenn's version of TITTL. It's beautiful.

shunlvswx
03-31-2019, 11:17 PM
I'm watching too. I'm having a ball watching it on tv. This would be my first time seeing it on tv since I didn't watch it when it first aired on tv.

I was kinda nervous that they might cut some of the songs because of the commercials, but I'm glad to AXSTV didn't and they are playing the whole concert.

I missed seeing Don on the drums on LITFL, RMW, and HT. I always loved the jumping in the middle of DL, Timothy jumping all over the stage, Glenn playing the piano on a lot of songs and Glenn trying to dance on ASWTDIS. LOL

FreyFollower
03-31-2019, 11:42 PM
Ha. I was wondering if I was the only one watching a show on TV that I have on DVD and could watch anytime! LOL. Love it so much!
I love Glenn's version of TTTL too, WF. Not as dramatic, but intimate and heartfelt. Beautiful indeed. Love those highlights too, Shun! And it (they) all look so GOOD on my mom's 55" tv!
Love Glenn's dancing, too. Makes me smile.:)

WitchyWoman92
04-01-2019, 12:02 AM
Wow. It's been a long time since I last posted here. I can't believe Farewell I aired on TV. I've heard of it ever since I became an Eagles fan but never saw it until now. I know there's a DVD but never bought it. I might consider buying it because with my television I don't like how some channels make things widescreen. I know its probably because my TV is literally one of those big ones but it still kind of annoys me.

I still had a great time watching though. It was quite a surprise to hear "A Hole In the World" in the set since Long Road Out of Eden wasn't for another three years (unless they had that song as far back as 2004?)

sodascouts
04-01-2019, 12:41 AM
They had Hole in the World back then. It was first released on their Very Best of the Eagles compilation from 2003.

I didn't watch Farewell 1 when it first aired. I wouldn't become an Eagles hardcore for a few more months. I just missed it!

There is something special about the shared experience of watching it broadcast, even if you have it on DVD.

Glennsallnighter
04-01-2019, 05:32 AM
So I'm watching F1 on AXS. It's funny, I have F1 on DVD, Bluray, and on my computer via iTunes yet I'm so excited for it to air on TV tonight - even though I could literally unplug the satellite and still be watching it right this very minute. LOL.

Also it reminded me that I watched it on NBC when it aired with my parents WAAAAAAY before I ever was into music and guitar. I was anti-music then. I had totally forgot I saw this years ago until it was on TV tonight. All those years watching the DVD I never thought of it. The fact it is on TV sparked my memory. I asked my folks and yes, they remember sitting me down and us watching it together, lol. I had completely forgot we watched this. It's an interesting thing, I wasn't a fan then.

So I'm sitting here wondering if watching it back then somehow rubbed off on me to discover them (as I did start playing guitar because of them). I can't help but think so. Because I think F1 is just packed full of so much greatness. Eagles songs, Henley songs, Frey songs, Walsh songs, etc. It was a great mix of it all. I'm glad I got to hear Don's solo songs when I saw them on the LROOE tour as I'll likely never hear them live again. The HOTE concert is my fav, but I liked hearing TBOS a lot.

I know how you feel Austin - theres something special about seeing our guys live instead of just on DVD

sodascouts
04-01-2019, 06:53 PM
At the printer at work, a colleague mentioned he'd seen this on TV and it made him think of me, because he knows what a big fan I am, etc, etc. That was all well and good. Then he had to spoil it with "Which one of them died again - Glenn Frey or Don Henley?" COME ON!!!!

MarthaJo56
04-01-2019, 07:33 PM
re:"Epic Hits of 1972"---Well, anyone who missed it didn't miss anything! Very brief clips and a couple photos, a handful of folks making comments. And "Take it Easy" #10? What a crock!

Yeah. I saw that, too.
The worst is the "Rock Legends" on AXS. There is so much misinformation. I think I've posted before about the "critic" who said that Glenn came to California with Bob Seger. So full of crapola. Give me HOTE anyday!!!

WalshFan88
04-01-2019, 08:18 PM
At the printer at work, a colleague mentioned he'd seen this on TV and it made him think of me, because he knows what a big fan I am, etc, etc. That was all well and good. Then he had to spoil it with "Which one of them died again - Glenn Frey or Don Henley?" COME ON!!!!

That's terrible Soda.

Everyone has phones these days - pull it out and Google it rather than saying that insensitive comment.

groupie2686
04-02-2019, 09:43 AM

I encounter this sort of thing all the time. My dad lives in Dallas and when I asked him if he'd ever seen Don Henley around, he said "Didn't he die?"

FreyFollower
04-03-2019, 08:33 PM
I see AXS is repeating Farewell 1 tonight at 9:30, 8:30C for those who missed it and wanted to see it.(or see it again).

edwardd19
04-04-2019, 09:23 AM
OH yes i have recorded it twice, LIterally best group ever

edwardd19
04-04-2019, 09:28 AM
I wish there was one way to watch an on the border concert live, there are recordings from a 1975 concert from tampa but youtube took it down.

CAinOH
04-24-2019, 09:16 PM
AXS is showing the HFO concert on May 5th at 9/8 central.

04-24-2019, 10:37 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up, CA.

shunlvswx
05-05-2019, 08:23 PM
Don't forget HFO will be on tonight on AXSTV at 9:00pm Eastern/8:00pm Central.

05-05-2019, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the reminder, shun.

WalshFan88
05-05-2019, 09:41 PM
I'm watching it now. I really have my moments with HFO.

I personally don't care for so much Henley material in the set. And I liked the guys doing solo songs with the Eagles, but that was with 3+ hours of music. There are much fewer Eagles songs on HFO. I really don't care for the acoustic Hotel California. But I love GOI and I love this version of TIE, and I love seeing them rock on the couple rockers on here. It's still worth watching, although not being my favorite Eagles video.

shunlvswx
06-14-2019, 05:40 PM
I heard HOTE and HFO will be on tomorrow. HOTE on CNN and HFO on AXSTV.

I don't know the times, but when I get home I will post it.

ETA: Farewell 1 and HFO will be on tomorrow starting at 8:00pm Eastern/7:00pm Central. Farewell 1 will be first and then HFO.

HOTE will also be on tomorrow at 9:00pm Eastern/8:00pm Central on CNN

06-15-2019, 11:11 AM
Thanks shun - I was coming here to post about HOTE on CNN tonight - I think I'll watch it since I haven't seen it in quite a while. I don't have ASXTV unfortunately so if I want to watch F1 or HFO, I guess I'll have to do it the old-fashioned way of actually inserting the DVD into the player. :D

New Kid In Town
06-15-2019, 02:02 PM
Shun - Thank You for the heads up. I too will be watching it tonight. I don't get ASTX either. Like Dreamer I will have to watch both via the DVD's.

CAinOH
06-15-2019, 03:45 PM
I heard HOTE and HFO will be on tomorrow. HOTE on CNN and HFO on AXSTV.

I don't know the times, but when I get home I will post it.

ETA: Farewell 1 and HFO will be on tomorrow starting at 8:00pm Eastern/7:00pm Central. Farewell 1 will be first and then HFO.

HOTE will also be on tomorrow at 9:00pm Eastern/8:00pm Central on CNN

Yes! I know what I'm watching tonight! Thanks, shun!

06-16-2019, 11:52 AM
Well - I enjoyed watching HOTE last night on CNN. It has been quite a while since I watched it.

New Kid In Town
06-16-2019, 11:56 AM
Me too Dreamer. I have not seen it in a long time either.

PS - When Joe is telling the story of his "journey" who is the guy he is paying and singing with. Joe has a green jacket on in that scene. I had forgot what a mess Joe was before he entered rehab. Thank God for Glenn, Don and Irving and the Eagles getting back together. Saved his life.

shunlvswx
06-16-2019, 04:57 PM
Jules Shear. He hosted the first 13 episodes of MTV Unplugged series. You can also see him on Don's Unplugged episode.

WalshFan88
06-17-2019, 02:42 AM
I watched HOTE on CNN. I had recently watched both HFO and F1 when they aired.

It had been awhile since I watched HOTE. I really love that documentary. Glenn really lead the whole thing IMO and was so animated and charismatic and really took you on a journey. It was bittersweet to see him on there for sure.

Hands down my favorite music documentary. It is really good.

shunlvswx
06-17-2019, 09:09 AM
I watched Farewell 1/HFO on tv and HOTE online on CNN.com. Thank goodness I found that because I didn't want to miss all three. When HFO ended, I switched to CNN.

NightMistBlue
06-17-2019, 09:53 AM
Jules Shear. He hosted the first 13 episodes of MTV Unplugged series. You can also see him on Don's Unplugged episode.

OMG, I didn't even recognize JS. He looked awful. Never understood what Aimee Mann saw in him.

New Kid In Town
06-17-2019, 10:04 AM

Many thanks Shun !

shunlvswx
06-17-2019, 10:18 AM
Me too Dreamer. I have not seen it in a long time either.

PS - When Joe is telling the story of his "journey" who is the guy he is paying and singing with. Joe has a green jacket on in that scene. I had forgot what a mess Joe was before he entered rehab. Thank God for Glenn, Don and Irving and the Eagles getting back together. Saved his life.

Thank god. If Don, Glenn and Irving didn't intervene and decided to get the Eagles back together, Joe would probably be six feet under.

sodascouts
06-17-2019, 12:48 PM
I enjoyed it, too, although I watched it with a pang in my heart.

In the credits, they list the recently deceased Doctor John. Did anybody spot him?

shunlvswx
06-17-2019, 01:23 PM
I enjoyed it, too, although I watched it with a pang in my heart.

In the credits, they list the recently deceased Doctor John. Did anybody spot him?

I think he was in the video clip with Joe, and Jules Shear singing Cinnamon Girl playing the piano think. I think I remembered reading that he was Joe's episode.

sodascouts
06-17-2019, 01:27 PM
I think he was in the video clip with Joe, and Jules Shear singing Cinnamon Girl playing the piano think. I think I remembered reading that he was Joe's episode.

That makes sense. I suspected it might be that. Thanks, shun!

shunlvswx
06-17-2019, 01:35 PM
I found Joe's episode of MTV Unplugged. Dr. John does come out and play on Cinnamon Girl. I guess he wasn't shown that much in the clip. Dr. John comes in around 8:05.

http://youtu.be/mIE17VCUuSE

UndertheWire
06-21-2019, 12:38 PM
There's a new (not very good) "documentary" that is showing on BBC4 called "I can go for that: the smooth sound of yacht rock". The early part deals with the Southern California music scene of the sixties and seventies with the obligatory mentions of Laurel Canyon, The Troubadour etc. One of These Nights (single) was described as being "on the cusp" of "yacht rock" and they included a video clip (probably Houston) and also part of a radio introduction by Glenn.

ETA: The other slightly Eagles-related part was a present-day Ned Doheney playing a song he released in 1976. I don't think they were suggesting is was "yacht rock".

sodascouts
06-21-2019, 04:02 PM
There's a new (not very good) "documentary" that is showing on BBC4 called "I can go for that: the smooth sound of yacht rock". The early part deals with the Southern California music scene of the sixties and seventies with the obligatory mentions of Laurel Canyon, The Troubadour etc. One of These Nights (single) was described as being "on the cusp" of "yacht rock" and they included a video clip (probably Houston) and also part of a radio introduction by Glenn.

ETA: The other slightly Eagles-related part was a present-day Ned Doheney playing a song he released in 1976. I don't think they were suggesting is was "yacht rock".

Thanks for the heads-up. I had heard of the documentary but didn't expect them to be included under the purview of "Yacht Rock."