PDA

View Full Version : Happy Eagles songs

sodascouts
09-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Something we were discussing in another thread made me think about a new topic - name a happy Eagles song! It might be harder than you think.

I'll start off with the obvious Peaceful Easy Feeling. Yeah, it's about a one-night-stand which isn't exactly the most romantic context, but you can't argue that are protagonist is happy despite it all. Just look at the title!

Next?

Nobody'sBeach
09-19-2010, 09:17 PM
Life In The Fast Lane - sounds like a good time, don't it?

Maleah
09-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Well with the exception of a few loads they're trying to loosen, I'd say Take It Easy is a pretty happy song. lol

Scarlet Sun
09-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Nightingale, Twenty-One

whitcap
09-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Already Gone

Ive always been a dreamer
09-20-2010, 01:42 AM
Life In The Fast Lane - sounds like a good time, don't it?

Not really, NB! At least not to me. :lol:

For a good time - what about Chug All Night!

TimothyBFan
09-20-2010, 08:14 AM
The first 2 songs that popped in my mind when I read the title of this thread where Life In The Fast Lane and Chug All Night. At least it would have been about 25 years ago! :hilarious:

I'll start off with the obvious Peaceful Easy Feeling. Yeah, it's about a one-night-stand which isn't exactly the most romantic context, but you can't argue that are protagonist is happy despite it all. Just look at the title!

Next?

See now, I don't see this as being about a one-night-stand. Have one of the Eagles proclaimed it as such? And if so, where and when.

Troubadour
09-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Take It Easy was the first one to come to mind. I don't think I'd class Life In The Fast Lane as a 'happy' song though!

Nobody'sBeach
09-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Must be a perspective thing?

That one I really like...:grooving:

Troubadour
09-20-2010, 08:35 PM
You're right. It's all about perspective. I love LITFL, but I'm making judgements based on what I take from the song message-wise and lyrically, rather than just the sound of it. There are lots of songs out there that have an upbeat sound but deal with serious and darker themes (All She Wants To Do Is Dance is a prime example.) Life In The Fast Lane is about the perils of fast-living - of super stardom, drugs, alcohol, tumultuous relationships... It might seem like fun at the time, but basically, it's destructive and dangerous. It's a warning about that slippery slope of decadence and self-indulgence - once you're on it, it's almost impossible to get off. This theme runs through so many Eagles songs, which is probably why it's hard to find 'happy' songs in their catalogue.

Having said that, a 'happy' song is hard to define... This is where perspective really comes in! I could argue that a song like New York Minute (sorry for straying into solo territory here, but I'm just citing an example) is a happy song in some ways, because I find it ultimately uplifting. Others would say that it is depressing and gloomy. I take from it that, as quickly as things can change for the worse, they can change for the better. The line towards the end - "you can get out of the rain" - is probably the most important bit of the song for me. It might not be exactly happy but it's real and it's hopeful. It brings comfort and reassurance.

Eagles songs may not be carefree or filled with unadulterated joy, but they rarely leave you feeling utterly depressed... there's often a twist of hope somewhere in the lyrics or the music, which I think is important.

Nobody'sBeach
09-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Exactly, and my perspective would be the receiving end of "Are you with me so far?", which momentarily, or eternally, would put me over the happy edge.

I'd go with him, regardless of the outcome...there aren't any guarantees, anyway. Why not enjoy the ride?

bernie's bender
09-20-2010, 09:08 PM
I think "you never cry like a lover" is a happy, positive song... after all, glenn really roots on the old 'cold as a fish' girlfriend by encouraging her to "try a little harder"

and, despite her apparent lack of bedroom skills, he is isn't planning to give up sex.. he says, "I can't live with you baby, can't live without it."

in all, a pretty positive message!

Nobody'sBeach
09-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Hell, Hotel California maybe a “happy” song...if we could figure out what it’s about.

Troubadour
09-21-2010, 05:59 AM
I see Hotel California in the same way that I see Life In The Fast Lane. As a warning about excess and the inevitability of losing your mind due to that kind of lifestyle - and, ultimately, not being able to escape from it.

TimothyBFan
09-21-2010, 07:09 AM
My perspective on LITFL is this. It's fun while it lasted. Sure it ends bad but while we were doing all the partying, we sure had FUN!!!! :hilarious: I know not a really wise way to look at life but, hey, just the way I think sometimes.

I'd go with him, regardless of the outcome...there aren't any guarantees, anyway. Why not enjoy the ride?

Exactly!!!!!

MikeA
09-21-2010, 07:23 AM
"Ol' 55" seems pretty "happy". About a guy reminiscing about a happy time he had the night before while on his way home and wishin' he'd stayed there a little longer.

I'd also say "James Dean" except that it is a dirge for a dead guy....but it is a happy reminiscing.

Troubadour
09-21-2010, 07:29 AM
My perspective on LITFL is this. It's fun while it lasted. Sure it ends bad but while we were doing all the partying, we sure had FUN!!!! :hilarious: I know not a really wise way to look at life but, hey, just the way I think sometimes.

I get that, but for me, the sense that you're watching a metaphorical car crash is simply more powerful in the song than the idea that this couple might be having a bit of fun. The vocalist/narrator is acutely aware of what is happening to these people and as the listeners, we're privy to that. It makes me want to rescue them - not join them.

Note that there are plenty of other songs about partying that WOULD make me want to join them! - but Life In The Fast Lane is about the dark side of all that stuff.

sodascouts
09-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Have to say I agree with Troub here about LITFL - I wouldn't call the couple in that song "happy." He was too tired to make it... she was too tired to fight about it... I guess they might have been happy at one time... but like Troub said, when I think of that song, I don't think of happiness or how awesome it would be to wind up like that. In fact, I always interpreted the song "We know life in the fast lane looks like fun, but in reality, it can make you miserable." However, I understand that interpretations vary. Discussing them is part of the fun. There's certainly no shortage of people with the attitude that "This makes me feel good so I'll do it now and if it screws my life up later... oh well... at least I had a few good years!"

See now, I don't see this as being about a one-night-stand. Have one of the Eagles proclaimed it as such? And if so, where and when.

That's just an assumption I made from the lyrics of the bridge: "I get this feeling I may know you" (like she reminds him of someone rather than he actually knows her) and "I may never see you again." But hey, I could be wrong.

09-21-2010, 09:55 AM
I totally agree with Troub and Soda about LITFL. I don't take anything away from the song that paints a happy picture - but that's just me.

I would actually argue that Peaceful Easy Feeling isn't really a happy song either. The way I interpret it is that it is a very jaded view of love and/or happiness. When Glenn sings "I know you won't let me down because I'm already standing on the ground", I interpret that as something like I know how women are and she will totally let me down if I'm not careful. But I'm not gonna let her because I know how to play the game too. I do agree with Soda that it could be interpreted as a one night stand. I certainly don't think the song is about a long-term lasting love, which is why I think it is jaded.

And now for one that I do think is happy is I Wish You Peace - if not happy, at least, positive and uplifting.

Troubadour
09-21-2010, 10:21 AM
I agree with Dreamer about the 'jaded' vibe in parts of PEF... I think the singer is struggling with his own feelings. He really likes this woman and wants to be romantic with her ("a billion stars all around") but he is also keeping himself in check. The line "I found out a long time ago what a woman can do to your soul" suggests that he has been hurt in the past, so he now seems to approach relationships with a "you can't hurt me because I won't allow myself to be carried away" kind of attitude. He WANTS to invest in this woman, but there's always that doubt or that voice that keeps whispering in his ear "you may never see her again". For those reasons, I've always assumed that it's about the very beginnings of a relationship, rather than a one night stand. The "I get this feeling I may know you as a lover and a friend" line is a hopeful part of the song for me. He feels really comfortable with her and, if he lets himself, he can believe that maybe she is The One... but then he sort of brings himself back down to earth by admitting that there's always that voice in the back of his mind that makes him cynical.

MikeA
09-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Dang Lou....you've convinced me! You're a poet and should be writing instead of interpreting!

TimothyBFan
09-21-2010, 11:05 AM
That's just an assumption I made from the lyrics of the bridge: "I get this feeling I may know you" (like she reminds him of someone rather than he actually knows her) and "I may never see you again." But hey, I could be wrong.

Ok, I thought maybe I had missed it somewhere. Thanks for letting me know. I can totally see where it can be interpreted that way.

And now I actually interpret those 2 lines completely differently. "I get this feeling I may know you" ---to me he's saying I'm comfortable and it's almost like we've known each other before and "I may never see you again" proceeded by "this voice keeps whispering in my other ear" --to me says even tho I want and think this can work for us, there's still a shade of doubt. Who of us hasn't had that in a relationship, especially early on? So I guess I more or less am saying the same thing about PEF as Troub said so well. I think it's a "new" relationship but he's still worried it wont work out because he's been hurt before.

ETA: I just went back and reread Troub's post about PEF and had to chuckle at this line... "He feels really comfortable with her and, if he lets himself, he can believe that maybe she is The One". Almost exactly what I just said above. :thumbsup: Great minds!

sodascouts
09-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Actually what you guys say about PEF makes a lot of sense. I think I may have to amend my earlier statement!

TimothyBFan
09-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Soda--I'm extremely glad you started this thread and hope we talk about other songs... or maybe another thread about interpretations of their songs?

Anyways, isn't it funny how we can take the same song and interpret entirely DIFFERENT ways? Or see them the same as in the case of LITFL (we all agree that it's tragic at the end) but some of us concentrate on the "fun" part at the beginning where others see it as leading up to the bad.

Love these kind of threads!!

09-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Troub - good analysis on PEF. I definitely can agree with your interpretation. However, I guess being a child of the '70s may be why I tended to interpret the song more as a one night stand. Yep - I'm jaded. :wink:

It really is interesting to hear different interpretations of these songs. So, I'll throw another one out here ...

What about It's Your World Now? I think that's a happy song - does anyone disagree?

Scarlet Sun
09-22-2010, 02:40 AM
Ok, I thought maybe I had missed it somewhere. Thanks for letting me know. I can totally see where it can be interpreted that way.

And now I actually interpret those 2 lines completely differently. "I get this feeling I may know you" ---to me he's saying I'm comfortable and it's almost like we've known each other before and "I may never see you again" proceeded by "this voice keeps whispering in my other ear" --to me says even tho I want and think this can work for us, there's still a shade of doubt. Who of us hasn't had that in a relationship, especially early on? So I guess I more or less am saying the same thing about PEF as Troub said so well. I think it's a "new" relationship but he's still worried it wont work out because he's been hurt before.

ETA: I just went back and reread Troub's post about PEF and had to chuckle at this line... "He feels really comfortable with her and, if he lets himself, he can believe that maybe she is The One". Almost exactly what I just said above. :thumbsup: Great minds!
Glenn sings "cause" instead of "but" as the first word of the chorus after the bridge. "But" would have solidified your interpretation

Prettymaid
09-22-2010, 03:08 PM
I just want to say that despite the title of this thread, I'm getting very depressed. :ack: :wink:

How about You Are Not Alone?

EaglesFanatic
09-22-2010, 05:55 PM
I always thought of You Are Not Alone to be a happy comforting song.

TimothyBFan
09-22-2010, 05:59 PM
As I agree with you guys about You Are Not Alone being a comforting song and the words are beautiful and meaningful, I don't get the whole happy feeling while actually listening to it. I guess I feel that a "happy song" has to have an upbeat tempo for lack of a better description. Does that make sense?

EaglesFanatic
09-22-2010, 06:07 PM
I was thinking the same exact thing Willie! It definitely doesn't sound like a happy song solely from a musical vantage point.

Prettymaid
09-22-2010, 06:08 PM
As I agree with you guys about You Are Not Alone being a comforting song and the words are beautiful and meaningful, I don't get the whole happy feeling while actually listening to it. I guess I feel that a "happy song" has to have an upbeat tempo for lack of a better description. Does that make sense?

Yes it does make sense. I was just trying for something...ANYTHING!!!

TimothyBFan
09-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Yes it does make sense. I was just trying for something...ANYTHING!!!

:fear: OH NO---Maybe the Eagles never did any happy songs!! :hilarious:

Well ALL their songs make me happy darn it!!! (except Journey of the Sorcerer)

BTW--yes P47 ---I've noticed!! :thumbsup:

Peekaboo
09-22-2010, 07:43 PM
I've really enjoyed reading all of the interpretations here. I'm not that great at expressing my feelings or thoughts on a particular song so i'll just leave that up to you all. I do enjoy reading everyones opinions. Some are similar to mine and some are a bit different but it's still interesting to read.

sodascouts
09-23-2010, 09:18 AM
No More Cloudy Days may not be super-upbeat, but it's definitely hopeful and thus in my opinion happy - you get that from the title alone!

Troubadour
09-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Oh yes! I can definitely see No More Cloudy Days as a "happy" song. They've found comfort in each other and the bad times are behind them. The future looks bright.

TimothyBFan
09-23-2010, 10:41 AM
One of my first thoughts this morning was "I NEED to hear Timothy's talking voice today". I don't know why exactly. So I decided to listen to Eagles Radio, which I haven't listened to for so very long, and I might get lucky!! Have I ever, he's done more of the breaks this morning than Joe. Plus I heard Parachute!! :partytime:

Where I'm going in this thread is, they just played Take It Easy and I AM VERY VERY HAPPY!!! That's a happy Eagles song if I've ever heard one!! So if no one has mentioned it yet... what do you think? Happy right?

Troubadour
09-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Absolutely. Take It Easy was the first song that came to mind for me. It reminds me that, even though things can be complicated, it does no good to worry. Chill out, be a 'yes' person and just go along for the ride. The guys say it better than I could - "Lighten up while you still can." That's the main thing I take from the song and it definitely helps to put things in perspective and to stop me from taking things too seriously. It's about youth and not letting your inhibitions stop you - "we may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again." Love it! You hear those first few chords, and you can't help but smile and bop your head.

Prettymaid
09-23-2010, 10:57 AM
ITA. Bopping my head right now!

Brooke
09-29-2010, 10:58 AM
I haven't had time to go through this thread except for the last few posts, but let me agree with you on Take It Easy. Definitely a happy song for me! It's my all time favorite Eagles song and always puts me in a good mood when I hear those opening chords!

Love it, love it, love it! Happy, happy, happy! :thumbsup:

GlennLover
09-29-2010, 06:21 PM
I haven't had time to go through this thread except for the last few posts, but let me agree with you on Take It Easy. Definitely a happy song for me! It's my all time favorite Eagles song and always puts me in a good mood when I hear those opening chords!

Love it, love it, love it! Happy, happy, happy! :thumbsup:

Brooke, I agree with you 100%!!!!! :thumbsup: