PDA

View Full Version : In five days: Long Run Survivor!

sodascouts
09-20-2010, 12:51 AM
Time for our next Survivor, guys! It starts this Friday, Sept. 24, at 8:00 pm - this time, it's The Long Run. Start listening to those CDs and getting ready!

I know what I'm going to vote to go first... ;)

EaglesFanatic
09-20-2010, 01:05 AM
:headscratch: How does Survivor work? :hilarious:

Eve
09-20-2010, 01:19 AM
I don't even have that cd.

whitcap
09-20-2010, 01:21 AM
:headscratch: How does Survivor work? :hilarious:

Here's a link to the last survivor game we played OOTN Survivor (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2569). Survivor games are very fun.

Ive always been a dreamer
09-20-2010, 01:21 AM
EF - You can look back in this forum at any of the previous Survivor game threads and the first post will have the rules. Here is link with an overview of how the games work.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551&postcount=7

After we start the game, you'll catch on quickly, I'm sure. Hope you join in on the fun.

Koala
09-20-2010, 01:30 AM
:partytime:Yeah, I LOVE this game, I will prepare me and hear immediately The Long Run!:grin:

I already know for which song I will first vote!

Peekaboo
09-20-2010, 06:40 AM
WOOHOO!! :partytime: These games are always fun and interesting!! Can't wait to play again.

TimothyBFan
09-20-2010, 07:53 AM
YAY!!! :yay::yay: I love Survivor. Especially when it's my favorite Eagles album. Something special happened the first time I saw this album...:headscratch: hmmmm... now what was that? ;-)

I know what I'm going to vote to go first... :wink:

We all know what you are voting for first!!! :hilarious:

I don't even have that cd.

:shock: You need to remedy this!!!

Glennsallnighter
09-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Oh Cool! I love these Survivor games. Can't wait for this one.

Of course I'll do my homework Mistress Soda!

Eve
09-20-2010, 12:07 PM
YAY!!! :yay::yay: I love Survivor. Especially when it's my favorite Eagles album. Something special happened the first time I saw this album...:headscratch: hmmmm... now what was that? ;-)

We all know what you are voting for first!!! :hilarious:

:shock: You need to remedy this!!!

The only music I have after Hotel California is The Very Best Of and Long Road Out of Eden. Long Road Out Of Eden got one listen and then was put on the shelf.

Nobody'sBeach
09-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Long Road Out Of Eden got one listen and then was put on the shelf.

You and me both.

TimothyBFan
09-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Wow---that hurts!! :weep: :hilarious: LROOE is my 2nd favorite after TLR. I love them all and have several copies of each LP.

Nobody'sBeach
09-20-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm sorry...it's just awful. You're welcome to my copy, I'm certainly not using it.

Eve
09-20-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm sorry...it's just awful. You're welcome to my copy, I'm certainly not using it.

:hilarious: When I got it, I did put it into my iPod, listened to it and then removed it. I just have a Nano and did not want valuable space wasted.

Nobody'sBeach
09-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Amen, Eve.

However, I will splice off Joe's Guilty of the Crime.

TimothyBFan
09-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Now you got me going. Administrators and the higher powers....I'm sure this will need to be moved to another thread?.... But I have to ask---what exactly is it about LROOE that you guys dislike so much? Granted, there are a few songs I don't care for but for the most part it's really good and there are a couple, that I feel, could be considered among some of the best work they've done (WITW, HL, NMWITW to name a few).

And I hope you know I'm not criticizing, just asking and wondering.

Nobody'sBeach
09-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Again, sorry to disagree but it just wasn't there. I have all the others too - and I still listen regularly. I feel that one missed the mark, big time. I would listen to Henley sing the phone book (and if he wants to sit here with my phone book; I'm not that hard to find), but I felt we waited 28 years for a single.

Administrators and the higher powers...., do with it what you will. You are as entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

EagleLady
09-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Wow, Do you have to be so harsh? Geez It wasn't bad at all to me, In fact I thought it was their best work.

Eve
09-20-2010, 01:37 PM
The first thing I thought when I heard this cd was damn...they DID get old.

It doesn't sound like The Eagles, more like a Frey/Henley effort.

EagleLady
09-20-2010, 01:38 PM
I'm sure Randy will be glad to take your money then.

TimothyBFan
09-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks NB & Eve for enlightening me on your thoughts. I respect your opinions. We don't all have to agree here, in fact that's what makes this board so fun, the diversity in taste. Love hearing everyone's opinions.

Nobody'sBeach
09-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks NB & Eve for enlightening me on your thoughts. I respect your opinions. We don't all have to agree here, in fact that's what makes this board so fun, the diversity in taste. Love hearing everyone's opinions.

You are quite welcome and I appreciate your input, as well. It is not my intention to be disrespectful (or harsh), I never expected everyone to agree with me.

I do believe, though, that even an artist/songwriter would rather hear an honest opinion, rather than just be told "that's great" if that's not how somebody really feels about it. Well, maybe not all of them...

Eve
09-20-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm just not ready for the adult contemporary/easy listening station. Unless it's Christmas music.

Brooke
09-20-2010, 02:56 PM
I would listen to Henley sing the phone book (and if he wants to sit here with my phone book; I'm not that hard to find), but I felt we waited 28 years for a single.

Wow, NB! I really am shocked. Haven't you listened to Waiting In The Weeds more than once? I daresay, and many here will agree, it's one of Henley's all time best! His voice is absolutely beautiful on it. Honestly, how can you listen to an album only once and declare it bad? I do think it takes several listenings to really grasp the songs and get to know them.

I thought everyone here loved the Eagles! You all really haven't even given it a chance. NB......Eve.....whitcap.....what gives?

Eve
09-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Wow, NB! I really am shocked. Haven't you listened to Waiting In The Weeds more than once? I daresay, and many here will agree, it's one of Henley's all time best! His voice is absolutely beautiful on it. Honestly, how can you listen to an album only once and declare it bad? I do think it takes several listenings to really grasp the songs and get to know them.

I thought everyone here loved the Eagles! You all really haven't even given it a chance. NB......Eve.....whitcap.....what gives?

How did whitcap get dragged into this?
One can LOVE The Eagles without liking every song they record. To humor myself, I have been listening to the cd. I haven't changed my mind.

Nobody'sBeach
09-20-2010, 03:07 PM
I did listen to it (and give it a chance) for probably the first month after I bought it. I just couldn't get into it. If I want to listen to Henley, or Eagles songs, there is quite a bit more.

I've worn out just as many copies of records, tapes, cd's, and dvd's as anyone else (and please don't tell me who or what I love), not to mention blown car speakers...I just don't like that one.

Brooke
09-20-2010, 03:18 PM

:oops: My mistake. Sorry.

ETA: This is where I got that you only listened once:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve

NB quoted and then replied:

You and me both.

:shrug:

Eve
09-20-2010, 03:39 PM
One can LOVE The Eagles without liking every song they record. To humor myself, I have been listening to the cd. I haven't changed my mind.

I even listened to "Waiting in the Weeds" a third time. Still, none of them grabbed at me and said LISTEN TO ME AGAIN!

EaglesFanatic
09-20-2010, 03:39 PM
I think with LROOE, the songs are either hit or miss. For sure not their best album, but still very good. These are the songs I personally think are the best on the album: How Long, Guilty Of The Crime, You Are Not Alone, LROOE, Somebody, Frail Grasp On The Big Picture, and Business As Usual. This CD has a totally different sound to it than their older stuff.
BTW thanks whitcap and Dreamer for the link to the rules of Survivor!

Nobody'sBeach
09-20-2010, 04:00 PM
:oops: My mistake. Sorry.

ETA: This is where I got that you only listened once:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve

NB quoted and then replied:

You and me both.

:shrug:

Fair enough, and I will clarify. I was agreeing that my copy is sitting on a shelf. Had I known this would turn into such a debate, I would have stated my position clearly from the beginning.

Apparently "know your audience" is valid advice and I understand that we are all fans here. Honestly, I could not produce the name of any other band of which I'm a fan and state that I love everything they've ever put out. It just doesn't work that way for me. I was disappointed with LROOE. I get that it sold very well (and that's great) and that many of you enjoy listening to it. I just don't feel the same way.

eaglesvet
09-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Hey, I'm just jumpin' in to say that I'm psyched for another game of Survivor!!
And that Waiting in the Weeds is one of the best songs ever!!

Troubadour
09-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Fab! I always get excited when I see that there's a new Survivor coming up.

I suppose it means I'll be hearing King Of Hollywood a lot in the next five days... Oh, the hardship.

TimothyBFan
09-21-2010, 07:10 AM
I suppose it means I'll be hearing King Of Hollywood a lot in the next five days... Oh, the hardship.

:thumbsup: Was my first thought also!!! :hilarious:

luvthelighthouse
09-21-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm glad I popped on and saw this! I love survivor! I haven't listened to TRL in a while, so I'll put it in with "fresh" ears and see how it effects me.

As for LROOE. I will say, I wasn't "in love" with it at first either. I think one of the reasons I love the Eagles so much is, I knew their music before I knew them... so the songs were all so familiar. Then when I found out it was the Eagles that sang all those great classics, I fell in love.

When LROOE came out, there was no familiarity, so I didn't feel the immediate connection. I actually had to listen to it many, many times before the songs started to grow on me. At first I liked the second CD best... then the first. WITW has got to be one of my favorite Eagles songs! Also, How Long is amazing to me... because it is so fun and really reminiscent of the old days of rock. Now, I enjoy LROOE just as much as I love all the others. Oh, and I never appreciated the actual song LROOE until I heard it live. AMAZING!

TimothyBFan
09-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Well, it was tough but had to be done...I spent the morning listening to TLR and taking my notes which I usually forget to use. Everything is ranked which I discovered something strange about. My top 2 and my last 2 songs can almost be interchanged with each other. The first 2 I want off, I don't care what order in and the 2 I want to win, I can go either way on also. I don't think that has happened before.

BTW--when was the last time there was a Survivor for The Long Run? Just curious.

I listen to this album often and each time, remember there are several reasons that this one is my favorite Eagles album. Guess everyone pretty much knows that by now...perhaps that's why I had this birthday cake this year. :hilarious:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/2010birthdaycake.jpg

sodascouts
09-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Now that was one awesome cake!

The last time we did this album was January 2007 - in fact, it was the first Survivor game we played. That's not too far from four years ago! Wow, time flies.

Troubadour
09-21-2010, 11:22 AM
OMG - I LOVE that cake!

Prettymaid
09-22-2010, 03:30 PM
I loved that cake too - very tasty!

Peekaboo
09-22-2010, 07:57 PM
My list is pretty much set and ready for the game except for my top two. It really is hard to rank their songs when it comes to your favorites. I just can't decide which is #1 and which is #2.

whitcap
09-23-2010, 02:04 AM
I've been listening to the album and I've made my list. I'm excited about the upcoming game :)

sodascouts
09-23-2010, 09:17 AM
I've been distracted, but I'm putting the Long Run CD in starting today. I'll be ready by tomorrow!

tequila girl
09-23-2010, 05:29 PM
I know what I'm going to vote to go first... ;)
So do I - can't wait! :thumbsup:

Troubadour
09-24-2010, 09:42 AM
I am raring to go! Although I have to tell you, as always, this is going to be much harder than I thought. The first few won't be too testing, but I'm already getting a bit panicky about the top five! This is a GREAT album.