PDA

View Full Version : Was somebody recently reminded of You and The Eagles?

Peekaboo
10-19-2010, 04:51 AM
Every now and then a friend or relative will tell me that they heard an Eagles song or saw something Eagles related and they thought of me. Does this happen to any of you often?

The latest one I got was from a friend from work. He recently went to Vegas to see Garth Brooks in concert and he said he thought of me immediately when Garth paid tribute to The Eagles. He said Garth said that The Eagles have always been one of his musical influences and heroes and he played a little bit of one of their songs. Unfortunately my friend couldn't remember which song Garth played but it's still pretty cool that he did that in his concert.

TimothyBFan
10-19-2010, 09:01 AM
I get that all the time Jess. I will even periodically get a text or email thru the day from a friend at work who will stop to let me know that the radio station they are listening to is playing an Eagles song. :hilarious:

Maleah
10-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Oh yeah, definitely happens ALL the time. The most often one is "I heard the Eagles on the radio and thought of you" of course. lol But every now and then I get "I saw an article on the Eagles (or one of the Eagles)...." or "I thought of you because I was at a concert and ______ sang one of their songs." It always makes me smile and feel quite proud. LOL

sodascouts
10-20-2010, 08:58 PM
One thing my friends will do is call me if they hear the Eagles are playing near me. "Nancy, I knew you would want to know!" I thank them, express my excitement, and never tell them that I knew about the date as soon as it was announced, lol.

eaglesvet
10-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Kinda like preaching to the choir in your case, Nancy!

Glennsallnighter
10-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Two years ago the radio station that I listen to played a game called 'Who am I?' One afternoon the clues started 'I was born on 6 November 1948 in Detroit....' When inevitably I called in to give the correct answer the DJ's response was 'The minute I read this I though of you'

Ive always been a dreamer
10-23-2010, 12:54 AM
Now that's pretty darn good when the dj's know, GA! Maybe they can be on the lookout for some front row tickets for you the next time the Eagles roll in to Dublin. :thumbsup:

And yes, I have the same experiences as many of you. Anytime, any of my friends or family hear anything Eagles, my telephone rings! :partytime:

EaglesFanatic
10-23-2010, 10:45 AM
GA, so funny that the the DJ said that :lol:
A couple weeks ago, my brother's friend told me I should meet one of her friends that used to go to her school. She said, "He is obsessed with the Eagles, just like you!" :hilarious: I didn't think I'd ever see the day when I meet someone around the same age as me that likes the Eagles!

TimothyBFan
10-24-2010, 10:52 AM
I didn't think I'd ever see the day when I meet someone around the same age as me that likes the Eagles!

EF--I wish you could meet my daughter! She loves the Eagles and she is your age also. I wonder where she learned about them. :headscratch:

whitcap
10-24-2010, 01:35 PM
I didn't think I'd ever see the day when I meet someone around the same age as me that likes the Eagles!

I know what you mean EF. I've never met anyone around my age that loves the Eagles. Heck I've met some people who don't even know who the Eagles are. :fear: That's the downside of being a 19 year old Eagles fan I guess.

Peekaboo
11-02-2010, 04:48 AM
I know what you mean EF. I've never met anyone around my age that loves the Eagles. Heck I've met some people who don't even know who the Eagles are. :fear: That's the downside of being a 19 year old Eagles fan I guess.

Now that I think about it, I was 19 when I really got into the Eagles. It was in 2003 when the Very Best Of cd came out. Since then I've been completely hooked. I'm 26 now and not many people around my age really know who the Eagles are. They may know a song or two (Hotel California, Take It Easy) but that's about it. They just don't know what they're missing.

EaglesFanatic
12-10-2010, 09:53 PM
So my friend texted me saying this, "I heard the Eagles, and I actually liked it!" Well, I'm glad I'm introducing some good music to my friends :hilarious:
On a side note, my principle pulled me aside, and said, "So, are you going to listen to Joe on the plane to Israel?" Is it sad that even he knows about my guilty pleasure? :shrug:

whitcap
03-12-2011, 07:20 PM
My sister just texted me to tell me that she heard Heartache Tonight and Take it to the Limit on the radio.

03-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Now - that's a well-trained sister, wc!

But, I have a little bragging rights of my own - my niece called me on the phone yesterday to tell me she saw a man in a LROOE tee shirt at the mall! :partytime:

whitcap
07-10-2011, 12:20 AM
My mom was very excited to tell me that my aunt, who works at the YMCA near Nashville, told her that Don Henley works out there all the time.

sodascouts
07-10-2011, 12:25 AM
For real? That astonishes me! Has she spoken to him? Is she sure it's not just a guy who looks like him?

whitcap
07-10-2011, 12:45 AM
I'm not sure if she has talked to him or not. But I don't think she would have said anything if she wasn't sure it was him.

ETA: My aunt lives in a wealthy suburb near Nashville, which is where the YMCA is located. Its in a pretty upscale part of town so it doesn't surprise me too much that Don would be working out there.

07-10-2011, 11:19 AM
That is cool, wc, but like Soda, it really surprizes me that Don would go to a YMCA to workout. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I guess I just figured he would have more private accomodations for working out. Wow can you imagine running into a sweaty, tired Don in your local YMCA! :stunned:

EaglesKiwi
07-11-2011, 03:35 AM
That is cool, wc, but like Soda, it really surprizes me that Don would go to a YMCA to workout. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I guess I just figured he would have more private accomodations for working out. Wow can you imagine running into a sweaty, tired Don in your local YMCA! :stunned:

Can you imagine someone being daft enough to try TALKING to a sweaty, tired Don in their local YMCA! :nahnah:

Troubadour
07-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Wow can you imagine running into a sweaty, tired Don in your local YMCA! :stunned:

That's how most of my fantasies start! :lol: :thud:

sodascouts
07-11-2011, 02:49 PM
LOL Troub!!

I would probably suddenly develop an intense academic interest in whatever exercise Mr. Henley happened to be doing at the time, and would be forced to observe closely - only for educational purposes, of course.

Judy
07-11-2011, 03:09 PM

:hilarious:

Why don't both quotes come from that post when I quote it? How do I quote more than one post at a time?

sodascouts
07-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Judy, what you're referring to is nested quotes, also known as multi-quotes. We used to have the feature, but I disabled it on this board because it can get out of control very quickly. Since most people just hit "quote" and don't remove extraneous text, before you know it, you've got half a dozen posts quoted in your post - all of which have been quoted already at least once, probably more, by the people above you. On some boards, I've seen it get so insane that you'd have a one word reply with 10 or more nested quotes above it!

However, there are some occasions when nesting a quote helps with context. If you have one of those occasions, you can nest a quote manually. You do that by:
1) copying the extra post you want to reference
2) pasting the text in between quote tags. Quote tags look like this, without the spaces: [ quote ] to begin and [ /quote ] to end. (I have to add the spaces in the directions so the tags will show up).
Note: the quote tags of the extra post should be positioned immediately after the initial quote tag of the one that gets quoted automatically.

Here is what it would look like (remember, you have to remove the spaces)

[ quote ] [ quote ] The extra post you want to quote [ /quote] the regular quote [ /quote]

or, specific to you:

[ quote ] [ quote ] Wow can you imagine running into a sweaty, tired Don in your local YMCA! :stunned: [ /quote ] That's how most of my fantasies start! :lol: :thud:[/quote ]

It looks funny because there are two [ quote ] tags in a row at the beginning, but just think of it like if you were quoting something at the beginning of a dialogue sentence using quotation marks. "'Take It to the Limit' is a great song." You have to double up quotations marks there - it's just like that with nested quotes.

And if you feel comfortable, you can identify the original posters by adding an ="name" to the initial quote tags. The above would become:

[ quote="Troubadour" ] [ quote="ive always been a dreamer" ] Wow can you imagine running into a sweaty, tired Don in your local YMCA! :stunned: [/quote ] That's how most of my fantasies start! :lol: :thud:[ /quote ]

Which, when the spaces in the quote tags are removed, looks like this:

Wow can you imagine running into a sweaty, tired Don in your local YMCA! :stunned: That's how most of my fantasies start! :lol: :thud:

Personally, I prefer that to:

My mom was very excited to tell me that my aunt, who works at the YMCA near Nashville, told her that Don Henley works out there all the time.For real? That astonishes me! Has she spoken to him? Is she sure it's not just a guy who looks like him?I'm not sure if she has talked to him or not. But I don't think she would have said anything if she wasn't sure it was him.

ETA: My aunt lives in a wealthy suburb near Nashville, which is where the YMCA is located. Its in a pretty upscale part of town so it doesn't surprise me too much that Don would be working out therWow can you imagine running into a sweaty, tired Don in your local YMCA! :stunned: That's how most of my fantasies start! :lol: :thud:

See what I mean? ;)

Judy
07-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Alrighty then! Thanks for the quoting lesson, Nancy. That's too much for my little brain to handle. I'm going to have to send it to myself in an e-mail so I can try it when I have more time.

sodascouts
07-11-2011, 09:00 PM
It is a bit much. It took me 10 minutes just to write that post! No lie!

07-11-2011, 09:06 PM
I was getting ready to answer Judy earlier, but then I got interrupted. Sure am glad that you beat me to it, Soda. :wink: :grin:

Judy
07-12-2011, 12:58 AM
Love your new banner, Soda!

sodascouts
07-12-2011, 02:26 AM
Thanks, Judy!

TimothyBFan
07-12-2011, 07:29 AM

:rofl: I immediately thought about your dream the other night. :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
11-16-2011, 12:50 PM
This was a message on my Facebook Wall this morning from a friend who's daughter is now 8 years old. I used to babysit her when she was 2 till she was 6:

"I thought you would find this story amusing. I have a hard drive in the Jeep so I download all my CD's and Jessica is always asking me to change it to different things. Last night she got all excited and said "can we listen to Heartache Tonight?"!!! I did and she was dancing in her seat!!! Have a great day!"

Here's my reply back to her:

"LOVE IT!!! Must be all that Eagles music she heard in the background 10 hours a day, 5 days a week for so long when she was little. It was like a subliminal message! LOL"

Brooke
11-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Sounds like you did a great job there Willie! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
11-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Excellent! Spreadin' the love!

Judy
11-16-2011, 03:14 PM
This was a message on my Facebook Wall this morning from a friend who's daughter is now 8 years old. I used to babysit her when she was 2 till she was 6:

"I thought you would find this story amusing. I have a hard drive in the Jeep so I download all my CD's and Jessica is always asking me to change it to different things. Last night she got all excited and said "can we listen to Heartache Tonight?"!!! I did and she was dancing in her seat!!! Have a great day!"

Here's my reply back to her:

"LOVE IT!!! Must be all that Eagles music she heard in the background 10 hours a day, 5 days a week for so long when she was little. It was like a subliminal message! LOL"

You can do that with adults, too. That's how I got my sister into Don & the Eagles.

Prettymaid
11-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Good job TBF. Changing the world...one child at a time...

Tori
11-16-2011, 05:52 PM
I love hearing stories about kids being brought up on Eagles music. Just makes me realize how lucky I was to have awesome parents that raised me on their music.

My mom was on Facebook the other day and one of her friends had posted this article (http://ultimateclassicrock.com/the-eagles-working-on-musical-documentary/). She commented on it and said "My girls will love this!" And she's right! (She also pointed out how Timothy said in the interview that there weren't any tour dates planned for the next year as far as he knew - I assured her that there probably will be and that Timothy didn't get the memo. :nahnah:)

Koala
11-17-2011, 03:34 AM
Great job TBF!