PDA

View Full Version : Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

Peekaboo
05-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Ahhhh the plot thickens!

Indeed it does. This is getting more and more interesting. Thanks for the find Maid and Welcome to the Border.

Maidstone
05-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Well somewhere in these photos is Brittany Olson - the Maid of Honor to Eva.

http://www.desperatehousewivesfan.net/eva-longoria-wedding-pictures/

It should be the girl right on Eva's right. Right?
http://www.desperatehousewivesfan.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/longoria-wedding-06.jpg

My head hurts. I don't even know if this is Don's daughter. But it's been a helluva lot of fun.

And seriously, scary what you can get off the internet!
xoxo,
Maid

anne-o-gg
05-01-2009, 07:06 PM
All I can say is people can criticize the Eagles all they want. I think all of us would like to see them do some things differently, but it's hard to argue with the results. How many others have achieved their level of success???

HERE! HERE!http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/1.gif

anne-o-gg
05-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Another "one-liner" about DH's four children...

On stage, colleagues sang his praises literally as The Eagles founder sat at a table with his wife, Sharon, and four children.

Here's the link: http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2007-02-10-henley-musicares_x.htm

Here's a wedding photo of Eva's wedding...according to the picture tag (not included), Britany is the one right beside Eva holding the flowers sorta in front of Eva's dress...

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv247/tgreer72/eva-longoria-wedding-04.jpg

Fan_For_Life
05-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Long time lurker - first time poster.

So I did a little research and found out her name is "Brittany Olson". She is (get this) Eva Longoria's best friend. Or at least she was the Maid of Honor at Eva's wedding.

Here's a link to a thread: http://x17online.com/celebrities/eva_longoria/one_down_one_more_to_go.php

If you do a "Find on this page" with your Internet Explorer the words "Brittany Olson" it comes up on the thread.

It's from an Anonymous poster... but says she is the illegitimate daughter of Don. An Eagles Fan posts that Don only has 3 kids. The Anonymous poster writes back saying that his other 3 kids just found out this past year about their big sis.

And then later the Anonymous poster says that Don is a "pompous @#% when you know him personally" and she can't divulge any more personal info. Hrmpf.

I don't know if any of this is true... but it's interesting.

Then if you google "Brittany Olson" and Eva Longoria, there's a whole bunch of links saying that she was the Maid of Honor. No photos that I can find as of yet.

Did Don ever date "Carla Olson" He did some vocals and engineered her 1984 album "Midnight Mission".

Ahhhh the plot thickens! :partytime:

Love this message board,
Maid

First want to say I know anything is possible.

"If" in fact this is his daughter and she knows this, what's the reason for using an anonymous name? And why has this not been revealed before now? Especially as was said, "And seriously, scary what you can get off the internet!"

Freypower
05-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Why should it have been 'revealed'? Surely she and her father are entitled to privacy in this matter.

Besides, she is not using an anonymous name if her name is Olson and that is her mother's name.

EagleLady
05-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Maybe she really isn't Don's daughter

sodascouts
05-01-2009, 09:57 PM
While this is all very interesting, I think we need to keep in mind it is all speculation and not get carried away. Don obviously is not attempting to keep his fourth child a secret - he brought her to his MusiCares - but he has chosen not to discuss her further so we should probably leave it at that.

Fan_For_Life
05-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Long time lurker - first time poster. Love this message board, Maid

By the way, somehow I missed doing so yesterday: Welcome, glad you decided to join in. :)

Ive always been a dreamer
05-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Yeah - I'm guessing that more information about Don's daughter will eventually leak out now that she is being seen with him in public more often. I think Don is probably smart enough to realize that once he made the relationship public, then all bets are off as far as the press is concerned.

And welcome from me as well Maidstone. Hope you enjoy yourself here on The Border.

luvthelighthouse
05-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Hi Maidstone. Happy for the info. Who knows why Don and her kept quiet all these years. Perhaps her mother wanted it that way and Don repsected her wishes. It doesn't bother me at all that we didn't/don't know... but of course, it's human nature to be curious about these types of things. As Don very well knows, the internet can is full of information and I'm sure it's his way of protecting his family. Can't blame the man for not putting them in the spotlight.

Maidstone
05-05-2009, 02:29 PM
You know - I didn't know how it would be received on this board re: my posts. I don't want to make anyone mad by giving info that maybe shouldn't have been researched in the first place. :blush:

But it's all "out there" on that internet highway. And scary that I had too much time on my hands to go digging for it. urgh

Anyhoo - Thanks for all of the "Welcomes". I hope to contribute to this board in a productive way. And learn more about the fellas!

Thanks,
Maid

sodascouts
05-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Now Don is blaming Rupert Murdoch for people wasting time on MySpace, Facebook, and Twitter!

A bit of a testy interview with the The Salt Lake Tribune (http://www.sltrib.com/ci_12308943).

EagleLady
05-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Sorry Don, but I gotta have my Myspace and my twitter ;)

luvthelighthouse
05-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Let the stoning begin... but he sounds like a grumpy old man. OMG, can you imagine what he thinks of us all writing about him on a public forum. :computer: The horror! :hilarious:

Yes, some of the internet is mindless... but some of us thirst for trivial knowledge. My mind often needs to be distracted because day to day life can be a little overwhelming at times. "no interviews"... yeah, but even he realizes he has to do them now and again...

That interview was rather depressing to me... :sad:

sodascouts
05-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Yeah, Don came off pretty badly in that one. He appears openly resentful of the interview and tries to make this guy feel like crap for asking what seem to me to be reasonable questions.

Since this media coverage is promoting not only himself and his band but his charitable causes, one wonders why he doesn't make more of an effort to be polite. Yeah, he doesn't HAVE to - he's successful enough to do what he wants - but you'd think he'd want to just for the sake of professionalism if for no other reason.

Perhaps Don should consider the fact that without interviews, he would not have a venue through which to share his wisdom with the world... except for that whole music thing, of course. ;) Unfortunately, it's hard to put the URL to Walden Woods' website in a song lyric.

Freypower
05-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Rupert Murdoch owns Myspace, and although I don't wish to sound quite like Don, that is one of the reasons why I don't wish to use it. But I think the 'a world with no video games' is a bit .... haughty. Not everybody is the same as Don Henley and a lot of people get a lot of satisfaction and escapism from such things.

I did like his paragraph about the music which inspires him and I was particularly gratified by the references to McCartney and Knopfler.

There is no point in my repeating yet again what you all know I am thinking but I will just this once:

Why can't we have ANOTHER perspective on the band? You know what I mean by that. End of rant.

Maleah
05-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Don needs to remember that he's interviewed because people are interested in hearing from him and about him and those people that are interested are the same people who have built his career.

TimothyBFan
05-08-2009, 07:53 AM
All I can say is when I read these kind of interviews by a member of the band I have admired and respected for so many years, it just truly saddens me! :sigh:

Prettymaid
05-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Just one example of how the Eagles' songs have been woven through pop culture: An entire plotline of "Seinfeld" revolved around Elaine and her boyfriend arguing about the importance of the songs "Desperado" and "Witchy Woman."

Being a Seinfeld fan I'm surprised that I don't remember this episode. I'd love to see it!

In any case, I'm happy to be working -- grateful to have a job in times like these.

Is he kidding me? Can he possibly be comparing himself to all of the workers out there who are suddenly unemployed because of the recession??!!?? :hilarious:

When it comes to the Eagles throughout your existence in the band, do you regret making statements about this being the last album, the last tour, hell freezing over, etc.?
Absolutely not. When I remarked, in the early '80s, that the Eagles would play together again "when hell freezes over," that's exactly how I -- and at least one of the other band members ---- felt. ... Over the span of the 14 years that we were apart, we gained a greater perspective on what we had accomplished. ...

As much as I dislike Don's 'tone' throughout this interview, I have to agree with him here. I'm glad that some of the things I have said in the past were not printed to come back and bite me!

Ultimately, it's up to the citizenry: Do we have the collective will to elect people who care about our natural heritage or do we want to continue to elect people who don't? Will we continue to allow politics to trump science in our state and federal legislatures? ... Until we make the transition to alternative sources of energy and get off this fossil fuel bender that we've been on for over 60 years, not much is going to change.

Disagree all you want with his politics, but the man is absolutely correct here - it is up to us!

melrose
05-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Just a few thoughts...

I'm glad that the interviewer asked him reasonable questions. Can you imagine if he were pointing out spelling errors in Hotel California? :fear:

It seems as if Don is in a bit of a funk during this interview, maybe a bad day? Either way, I think he is a good man and a nice person who just doesn't enjoy interviews. I'm sure it gets boring and trivial after a while, but his fans look forward to every little piece of information that we can get from them. Shouldn't that be enough?

Ugh, more on Rupert Murdoch? Can't he throw some other media moguls in the mix?

Also, I love how when the interviewer asks about Walden Woods, his response is "send money". :hilarious:

05-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Yeah - I'm thinking that Don was having an off day here. I agree that he is a good person, but he should try to show that side of himself a bit more when he gives interviews, IMO. At times he can be utterly charming and engaging and then, there are days like these. The thing is, though, I think he chooses whether or not he wants to do these interviews. If you are going to do them, then you should at least pretend like it is not a big pain in the a$$. I mean, c'mon Don, this was an email interview - you had many opportunities to review your answers before hitting the "Send" button.

I know Glenn catches a lot of flack from some fans for not being accessible to the press. However, if he doesn't enjoy doing interviews, then I'd rather he didn't. We don't need two Eagles coming across as grumpy old men. Nonetheless, I still love 'em all. :wink:

EagleLady
05-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Maybe Don is tired of asking the same questions over and over, and I don't blame him.

DonFan
05-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Is he kidding me? Can he possibly be comparing himself to all of the workers out there who are suddenly unemployed because of the recession??!!?

No, I don't think that is what he meant at all. I think he is simply expressing gratitude that he and the other guys can still play, tour, and pack stadiums after thirty-plus years in the fickle entertainment business.

As much as I love the man, he must've really been having a bad day when he answered these interview questions. Oh well, as he famously told another interviewer who seemed a bit intimidated by him, "I'm not scary, I'm just opinionated."

sodascouts
05-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I agree that Don has a good heart along with his immense talent and I love 'em whether he's grumpy or charming. I just like to see more of the latter than the former. lol

TimothyBFan
05-08-2009, 01:36 PM
I know Glenn catches a lot of flack from some fans for not being accessible to the press. However, if he doesn't enjoy doing interviews, then I'd rather he didn't. We don't need two Eagles coming across as grumpy old men. Nonetheless, I still love 'em all. :wink:

Well said and amen sister!!! :thumbsup:

Jojo
05-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Well said and amen sister!!! :thumbsup:
I agree very well said.

Jojo
05-08-2009, 02:59 PM
No, I don't think that is what he meant at all. I think he is simply expressing gratitude that he and the other guys can still play, tour, and pack stadiums after thirty-plus years in the fickle entertainment business.

As much as I love the man, he must've really been having a bad day when he answered these interview questions. Oh well, as he famously told another interviewer who seemed a bit intimidated by him, "I'm not scary, I'm just opinionated."
I agree as well, I don't think that is what he said...

Brooke
05-08-2009, 04:48 PM
"In any case, I'm happy to be working -- grateful to have a job in times like these."

I nearly burst out laughing here. Don, if you never performed again, you would not starve!

I know, he was trying to be humble, but really! :laugh:

sodascouts
05-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Here's an interesting quote from Don that I hadn't heard before. I don't think it's new, but it was in a recent article about one of his upcoming shows (http://www.robinashley.com/2009/05/10/don-henley-live-in-concert/).

The quote:

“After a couple of decades of being a public figure, a person grows tired of his own face, his own voice. If this malaise is allowed to continue unchecked, it can deteriorate into something that my pals and I call ‘Death By Show Business.’ This doesn’t refer to literal death — although that is sometimes the case — but more to a loss of enthusiasm and a withering of creativity — a sort of atrophy of the spirit.

One day you wake up and you’re wearing the pathetic clown suit. Although I always tried to lead a varied life that included charitable work, I had reached a point where I wanted to do something proactive — something that wasn’t completely ‘me’ oriented.”

sodascouts
05-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Found this article (http://www.corriere.it/spettacoli/09_maggio_12/fegiz_eagles_droghe_f9af93e2-3ec1-11de-914a-00144f02aabc.shtml) through Twitter, but it's in Italian. Anybody able to translate?

Jojo
05-12-2009, 02:06 PM
There we go - Hope this helps!

The Eagles: with the drug is wasted time
Don Henley: If we had been wiser we realized multiple disks

Word of Donald Hugh Henley (born 1947), better known as Don Henley. A legend of American rock. It is the founder, drummer, vocalist and co-author of numerous songs of Eagles, probably the band country-rock's most successful in the history of music. Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975) sold in the United States alone 29 million copies. The band, which since its founding in 1971 has had several reshuffles, it will be in Italy June 13 (Milan, Forum). Their last album, after years of silence, is titled Long Road Out of Eden. And Don Henley admits that doing this was not a walk: 'Difficult keep our sound, and at the same time seeking a new one. Even using exotic instruments from India and Afghanistan. "
The show, which arrived in Italy, more than a concert is a marathon.
"It lasts three hours. All the classics, plus some new songs, which help us to keep still fresh. We spent a lot of money in production. All new from the stage, lights, giant screens.
For the classics the band some adjustments. "Some will play just like the originals, others will have some new arrangement. After the concert we will do an Italian break, and take on holiday my family and my children on Lake Como. Certainly not the host of famous people who house by those parts does not usually attend the tour. I want to go to Como because my grandmother had Italian roots and his ancestors emigrated from Genoa to America and settled in a tiny town in Texas called Como. Let's say my father was born in Como, but Como is one in Texas. That's why I want to see Lake Como, the real one. "
Tequila Sunrise and Desperado are two other songs that tear your heart and draw fans to the Eagles concert. "For Desperado - Don Henley says - have been influenced by a composer of 19 ˚ century, Stephen Foster, who described the South in his songs, and Ray Charles. Tequila Sunrise is a creature of Glenn, born in the fashion of ' namesake cocktail: tequila you drank the pure and then threw himself down the beer. But what is still in the country music of the Eagles? But in the country today there is no longer the true soul of the campaign. We, however, the Eagles, we have our roots in rock'n'roll. Tensions within the band? Certainly, as in any group. At each end of the tour we have enough of each other and announce who will be the last. One of the most traumatic defections was that of Don Felder. "Truly, we were happy with it, because I immediately fell to the problems between us. The arrival of new guitarist, Stewart Smith, was like a spark of vitality. Eagles of the recipe remains a mystery. "There's an old joke that says: to compose a song is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. We have been fortunate enough to be in an environment in which working people like Jackson Browne and Randy Newman and as we have seen operating.

"In the early years we have wasted time in drugs. But it was the lifestyle of that period: all they did in the sixties and seventies. Had we been wiser we would have produced a couple of more albums.

Fan_For_Life
05-12-2009, 06:35 PM
After a couple of decades of being a public figure, a person grows tired of his own face, his own voice. If this malaise is allowed to continue unchecked, it can deteriorate into something that my pals and I call ‘Death By Show Business.’ This doesn’t refer to literal death — although that is sometimes the case — but more to a loss of enthusiasm and a withering of creativity — a sort of atrophy of the spirit.

One day you wake up and you’re wearing the pathetic clown suit. Although I always tried to lead a varied life that included charitable work, I had reached a point where I wanted to do something proactive — something that wasn’t completely ‘me’ oriented.”

Sounds like something he said during the interview with Charlie Rose. However my memory sometimes doesn't serve me well.

Freypower
05-12-2009, 07:54 PM
I want to go to Como because my grandmother had Italian roots and his ancestors emigrated from Genoa to America and settled in a tiny town in Texas called Como. Let's say my father was born in Como, but Como is one in Texas. That's why I want to see Lake Como, the real one. "

Signor Henley - I totally understand your desire to visit the real Como in Italy. May I point out, however, that there is also a Como in Sydney, Australia, and you are welcome to visit it whenever you have a spare moment....

:grouphug:

(I didn't know there was a Como in Texas).

I know this was a rough translation but Felder did not 'defect'. As for 'some songs will have new arrangements' I will believe that if I ever see it.

05-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Wow Jojo - muchos gratias for the translation. I know that is Spanish, but it's the only language I know. :wink: :wink:

DonFan
05-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks so much for the translation, Jojo. It was especially interesting to read this part about his family:

After the concert we will do an Italian break, and take on holiday my family and my children on Lake Como. I want to go to Como because my grandmother had Italian roots and his ancestors emigrated from Genoa to America and settled in a tiny town in Texas called Como. Let's say my father was born in Como, but Como is one in Texas. That's why I want to see Lake Como, the real one. "

anne-o-gg
05-14-2009, 09:32 AM
Wow Jojo - muchos gratias for the translation. I know that is Spanish, but it's the only language I know. :wink: :wink:

:hilarious:

thanks a whole bunch jojo! Gee-golly, that was swell! (now that's american!) ;)

DonFan
05-14-2009, 11:34 PM
A new Don interview from Tulsa World:

By Staff Reports--Published: 5/14/2009 2:57 PM

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectid=269&articleid=20090514_269_0_bWhatw209720

Jojo
05-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks for posting. Nice interview.

melrose
05-15-2009, 12:10 AM
This is the Don we all love! I'm always happy to read an interview like this where he is in a good/decent mood. Someone said earlier that most the time he comes off as a great guy, this is a prime example.

This I like:

(Laughs) I don’t have a favorite song to perform, I like all of them equally. I like to play songs that the audience likes, and when they’re happy, I’m happy.

This not so much:

I think after the Eagles tour Europe this summer, we’re going to shut down for awhile and hopefully I’ll have some time to start a solo project.
We keep getting mixed signals about a west coast tour. Hopefully he means a short break...

luvthelighthouse
05-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Mel, he has said this in two interviews that I know of... shutting down for the rest of the year... but they talk about supporting the album another year... so I'm guessing they'll start off next year with the west coast and go from there.

I also like where Don says that in the future musicians will have to make money from live shows... I hold out hope (not that they need money)... but that they'll want to tour again. :pray:

Freypower
05-15-2009, 12:34 AM
If they are going to stop touring for the rest of the year, then that means no Australian tour, which means that by the time I see them (next year, perhaps) I will have waited six years.

anne-o-gg
05-15-2009, 12:46 AM
here's a Glen quote from the hotpress article...the question was "Are you thinking of doing another album?"

Glen: "Well we have 14 - 18 months of a cycle left. We're coming to Europe. We haven't played the Northwest of the United States. We haven't played California or the Southwest yet; we haven't played Japan, Asia, Australia, New Zealand. So it'll probably last 14 - 18 months more. Then we'll get on the phone - me and Don and Irving (Azoff, Eagles manager) and say, "well, what next?"

So melrose, sounds to me like you still have something to look forward to! :thumbsup:

Koala
05-15-2009, 12:47 AM
One more interview:

http://www.joplinglobe.com/enjoy/local_story_134160129.html?keyword=topstory

melrose
05-15-2009, 12:52 AM
I can understand why they would take a break, but I guess I'm just a little selfish when it comes to them touring...but as much as I want to see them again, I also want them to be rested and happy.

I will have waited six years.

I can't imagine, FP. Hopefully you get to see them sooner rather than later.

TimothyBFan
05-15-2009, 07:06 AM
He seems to be in much better spirits in these interviews than he was in that one a couple weeks ago!

terese
05-15-2009, 09:30 AM
leave this Man alone! Dont pick his views apart. He is only human and very intelligent. Its His World for him and he has earned it! Terese

EagleLady
05-15-2009, 09:32 AM
leave this Man alone! Dont pick his views apart. He is only human and very intelligent. Its His World for him and he has earned it! Terese

*sigh* No one is picking him apart. I am able to see that no one is perfect or immune from criticism.

05-15-2009, 10:51 AM
First of all - welcome terese.

As far as Don, we love him here, so we aren't likely to leave him alone. :wink: :wink: You can criticize someone and still be a big fan. Although I personally agree with many of his views, I realize that some people may not. Any of the band members are subject to criticism as public figures. You are right that Don is very intelligent, and, therefore, he must understand that when a public figure says controversial things that he opens himself up to criticism. IMO, not only does he understand this, but he purposely makes controversial statements to bring attention to issues that he cares about - very intelligent, indeed.

anne-o-gg
05-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Spot on dreamer...

I am one, who personally, does not agree with most of DH's views, BUT - I 100% support his right to express them...and I admire him tremendously for standing up for what he believes in...we should all take such an active role in life!

And , not agreeing with him, does NOT stop me from lovin' his songs...even if I don't say "ya!" to the message - the songs are brilliant and usually stick in my head...and to top it off - - THAT VOICE! Nothing to complain about there!!

Fan_For_Life
05-15-2009, 01:21 PM
A new Don interview from Tulsa World:

By Staff Reports--Published: 5/14/2009 2:57 PM

What’s your favorite song to perform?
(Laughs) I don’t have a favorite song to perform, I like all of them equally. I like to play songs that the audience likes, and when they’re happy, I’m happy.

Thanks for sharing this. He was extremely happy last night he showed alot of enthusiasm and smiles to prove it. :thumbsup: I will say alot more than you see him when he's Eagles.

Fan_For_Life
05-15-2009, 01:32 PM
First of all - welcome terese.

As far as Don, we love him here, so we aren't likely to leave him alone. :wink: :wink: You can criticize someone and still be a big fan. Although I personally agree with many of his views, I realize that some people may not. Any of the band members are subject to criticism as public figures. You are right that Don is very intelligent, and, therefore, he must understand that when a public figure says controversial things that he opens himself up to criticism. IMO, not only does he understand this, but he purposely makes controversial statements to bring attention to issues that he cares about - very intelligent, indeed.

And to bring those issues to light he is trying to do the world a big favor because not many public figures say it like it is or how they truely feel due to political correctness,,whatever that is, but he does. And doesn't worry about whether you agree with him or not. This is one of the reasons why he is so respected.

luvthelighthouse
05-15-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm still trying to figure out where we picked him apart? :shrug:

Brooke
05-15-2009, 02:57 PM
You know, it's funny. Don can get away with saying some of the things he does but some people can't.

Take the Dixie Chicks, for instance. Their career has pretty much been ruined because of what Natalie Maines said. They tried to say it didn't matter, but have you heard of them lately? Not much. They supposedly had a huge selling album after that, but where are they now?

Don can go on a rant and get by with it, I guess because of the way he says things. I don't always like what he says, but it kind of just rolls on off and I shrug and move on to the music! :shrug:

anne-o-gg
05-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Possibly because Don has never, to my knowledge, said he was embarrassed to be an American...that was Natalie's mistake, I think...Don, imo, "rants" on things near and dear to him and whether you agree or not (usually, i don't) you repect him for his heart in the matter...but again, to my knowledge, he's never offended 3/4 of the country all at once...errr....yet! ;)

anne-o-gg
05-15-2009, 04:25 PM

I'm with you ltl

EagleLady
05-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Possibly because Don has never, to my knowledge, said he was embarrassed to be an American...that was Natalie's mistake, I think...Don, imo, "rants" on things near and dear to him and whether you agree or not (usually, i don't) you repect him for his heart in the matter...but again, to my knowledge, he's never offended 3/4 of the country all at once...errr....yet! ;)

I don't think it was a Mistake for Natalie to express her opinion, she had every right to do so.

luvthelighthouse
05-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Here's the thing... yes, anyone can express their opinion, but they have to be prepared for the consequence. So, as far as Natalie is concerned, IMO, she wasn’t that bright. If she’s so ashamed to be an American, LEAVE. No one cares! “I” find it insulting. She was snarky with her comments, not the least bit introspective. She wasn’t trying to get people to work towards something better, she just wanted to rant. Whatever… I do not care.

Personally, nothing Don says offends me. I don’t always agree with him… He dislikes myspace, facebook, twitter… I don’t. I’m not offended by that though. His delivery and opinion on things are better executed than most. He may state that he doesn’t like the state of the country, but he isn’t speaking out against his country. There is a difference. He dislikes mainstream media, for the most part, so do I. At least his dislikes he backs with substance. He does more than mindlessly rant. I think that is the difference between him and Natalie.

EagleLady
05-15-2009, 04:59 PM
She didn't say anything about America, she disagreed with the way George W. Bush was running it, and she is allowed her opinion, and making death threats towards someone for stating an opinion is wrong and uncalled for.

luvthelighthouse
05-15-2009, 05:13 PM
She didn't say anything about America, she disagreed with the way George W. Bush was running it, and she is allowed her opinion, and making death threats towards someone for stating an opinion is wrong and uncalled for.

Whatever her direct quote was, "we are ashmed the pres if from tx"... again, if you are going to speak out against your country's leader, than your have to be prepared for the consequencs... weather those consequences are right or wrong. Of course no one should have a death threat over freedom of speech... but people do lots of things they shouldn't. For all the liberals out there, there are just as many right wingers. This is a case of think before you speak. Moreover, the consequence I was talking about was that people stopped buying their music.

EagleLady
05-15-2009, 05:14 PM
There is a little thing called Freedom of Speech. I, personally, saw nothing wrong with her rant.

anne-o-gg
05-15-2009, 05:51 PM

I stand corrected...she didn't say she was ashamed to be american, she said she was ashamed Bush was from texas...my mistake...

luvthelighthouse
05-15-2009, 05:54 PM
There is a little thing called Freedom of Speech. I, personally, saw nothing wrong with her rant.

I don't think you are understanding what I'm saying... no biggie though.

Fan_For_Life
05-15-2009, 06:06 PM

I think someone just got a little keyboard happy. I've done it before. Welcome Terese.

I think Natalie said "this is the only time in my life I'm ashamed of being an American or to be called an American." And yes everyone does have the right to say what they want. As a Texan she has the right to complain. He did run her state for a while and obviously she was not happy he was running the country. Now whether I agree with her or not is the question? I did experience voting for him, living as an american under his name, and in some ways disappointed with him but what president has gone through the White House and left sqeaky clean? No one to my knowledge.

Don is tactful not distasteful. He's one of those people who can tell you off in a way and you not be aware he just did so. He has a way with words. I suppose that's why he's a literary major, or whatever it is he has.

Freypower
05-15-2009, 07:00 PM
He isn't always tactful. The recent interview where he said all the stuff about 'in my Eden there would be no video games' and complained about the media and sportscasters was very much 'I don't like this stuff and I can't understand why others do'. Sometimes that also comes across in songs such as Frail Grasp On The Big Picture when he appears to be 'talking down' to his audience. Soda can explain this better than me (I think that it is a great song).

With respect, FFL, I think you would definitely know when Mr Henley had 'told you off'.

Maleah
05-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Don has been known to pick people apart for something they said or believed or did over the years, so I hardly think he's too concerned if someone is doing the same to him! lol As LTL stated, if someone is going to state their opinion, which they more than have the right to do so, they DO have to be prepared for people who disagree or dislike what they've said. That goes for stars or everyday folk like me. lol I disagree with a lot of what Don says but that doesn't stop me from respecting him for taking such a strong stance for what he believes.

As for the Dixie Chicks....I think their attitudes played a huge part of it. Natalie came across as very condescending of people who had different opinions than her and she also came across as very condescending of country music and it's fans. That's a pretty silly move when that's your bread and butter right there. I also think WHERE she said it played a big part....and TIMING played a big part. It was a time when we hadn't been at war quite as long and a lot of people took it as insulting not only to the President but to America and our soldiers. She may not have intended it that way, but I think it was the way it was taken. Last comment on it, she did NOT let it drop. She kept talking about how country music couldn't get past it....every interview she did, every chance she got to say something about it....she did. She would always make some insult or backhanded compliment or SOMETHING that would be considered a dig that would just keep the fires burning. IMO, they liked the attention it got them from Hollywood. :shrug:

EagleLady
05-15-2009, 07:40 PM
I am a huge supporter of Dixie Chicks so I strongly disagree with everyone here.

Maleah
05-15-2009, 07:52 PM
That's fine EL, it's ok to have different opinions. We just have to remember that whichever you agree with, we all have the right to our opinions. They're very talented girls, I was never really a fan....but one can't deny their talent!

Fan_For_Life
05-15-2009, 08:03 PM
He isn't always tactful. The recent interview where he said all the stuff about 'in my Eden there would be no video games' and complained about the media and sportscasters was very much 'I don't like this stuff and I can't understand why others do'. Sometimes that also comes across in songs such as Frail Grasp On The Big Picture when he appears to be 'talking down' to his audience. Soda can explain this better than me (I think that it is a great song).

With respect, FFL, I think you would definitely know when Mr Henley had 'told you off'.

I guess it depends upon which way I/you look at things. I guess my point is that when he's not feeling the need to suggest fully how he feels(conversationally speaking), he can be sarcastic without you knowing it.

Brooke
05-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Well, sorry to start a fire here, but I for one loved the Dixie Chicks until Natalie made her comments and then couldn't shut up. That pretty much did them in for me. I hated to let them go, but could not forget that.

It doesn't matter to me whether they have the right to their opinions or not. Of course, everyone does. But you need to know when to keep your mouth shut. Obviously, more people disagreed with them than they expected and the longer it went the worse it got. They were at the height of their fame. It pretty much ruined their career.

anne-o-gg
05-16-2009, 04:45 PM
You know, I was typing this yesterday then back-spaced it all away...but with what you just said, brooke, I must say I agreee...we all have a right to our opion, but it's not always wisdom to vocalize it...

Besides, opinions are like noses...everybody's got one and it usually has a couple of holes in it...;)

EagleLady
05-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Would the outcome be different if they had said it here in America? It may not have been the most popular opinion, but it did send waves, and like they say, any press is good press.

Jojo
05-16-2009, 04:53 PM
I think someone just got a little keyboard happy. I've done it before. Welcome Terese.

Don is tactful not distasteful. He's one of those people who can tell you off in a way and you not be aware he just did so. He has a way with words. I suppose that's why he's a literary major, or whatever it is he has.

Don was also surprised that he got away with what he said.

http://www.pr-inside.com/entertainment-blog/2008/05/09/henley-mystified-by-political-free/

Maleah
05-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Well I do hear hollywood say that a lot, any press is good press...........but probably not when it destroys your career. lol And no, I don't think it would have made a difference if they had said it in America. But I do think it would probably have died down had they let it drop.

As far as Don goes, I'm not sure why he gets away with it. All I can think of is that he hasn't said things at such a critical time and kept on and on about it. Who knows though. :shrug:

luvthelighthouse
05-16-2009, 10:25 PM
As far as Don goes, I'm not sure why he gets away with it. All I can think of is that he hasn't said things at such a critical time and kept on and on about it. Who knows though. :shrug:

One thing that comes to mind is that Don expresses his opinion during interviews and when asked direct questions. He isn't using the stage as his political platform. When he's on stage, he's there to sing, play and entertain... as it should be. I don't really want to hear people's political views when they are performing... and quiet frankly, I don't like hearing about them during award shows either.

AzEaglesFan
05-17-2009, 01:57 AM
I 'm a big Dixie Chick fan and I think there were several reason that people came down on them so hard. They were in England I believe, they were on stage and people were there to listen to their music not their politics and they just seemed to egg it on. Then Natalie got into it with Toby Keith and that poured gas on the fire. The two of them went at it for awhile and kept the whole thing in the news. Toby was finally the one that said enough.

sodascouts
05-17-2009, 02:22 AM
Sorry I've been missing so much discussion but I've been dealing with some stuff that's kept me off the board for the past couple of days.

First off, welcome Terese! I'm sorry you feel we are overly critical of Don, but as Dreamer said, in truth we all are fans of his here. If you think this is negative, you should visit fan boards for other groups. At least we are respectful of his opinions even if we don't agree, and are never insulting towards him.

While the Dixie Chick discussion is interesting, the thread is beginning to wander from its topic. If you'd like to start a new thread in "Singing for the Sake of the Song" to discuss the Dixie Chicks, feel free. Otherwise, let's keep it focused on Don.

DonFan
05-17-2009, 06:55 PM
While the Dixie Chick discussion is interesting, the thread is beginning to wander from its topic. If you'd like to start a new thread in "Singing for the Sake of the Song" to discuss the Dixie Chicks, feel free. Otherwise, let's keep it focused on Don.

Thanks, Soda.

DonFan
05-17-2009, 06:57 PM
From the Palm Beach ArtsPaper, 5-15-09

DON HENLEY: STEADY AS HE GOES (http://www.pbartspaper.com/2009/05/music-review-don-henley-steady-as-he.html)
By Thom Smith

Fan_For_Life
05-17-2009, 07:24 PM
With no introduction (none necessary), Henley and his six-piece band opened with Dirty Laundry, not on drums but guitar, as he did for about half of the 15-song set. Otherwise, he just fronted the mike. Never hit a lick on his kit.

Adding a much-needed boost in tempo, he followed with One of These Nights, which he noted was recorded in Miami, “and I don’t remember any of it.”

After a fast and furious hour and 15 minutes, Henley and the band took a quick break. They returned with the driving rocker I Will Not Go Quietly, followed by supersong Hotel California and as the closer, Desperado, which evolved into a singalong.

He left the crowd humming, smiling and satisfied, if not inspired. Not a performance that will resound in the annals of rock and roll, but sufficient to keep the fire of good music burning.

Thanks DF. What a great way to keep the fire burning. I did a google search yesterday, but didn't find anything.

Not sure why I don't recall Don holding a guitar as much as this person says. But since he gets paid to remember and write these things down at least I know my memory isn't that far off. lol.

DonFan
05-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks DF. What a great way to keep the fire burning.

Don always keeps MY fire burning, FFL! :cool:
(He looked especially hot in that black tee shirt & jeans outfit, too!)

EagleLady
05-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Mine too :heybaby:

sodascouts
06-25-2009, 02:15 AM
Liberals will be happy to hear Henley is doing his part to further the agenda of the Democratic party. From CQ Politics (http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?parm1=5&docID=news-000003150407):

"The DSCC [Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee] raised $282,000 last month in Minnesota-related expenses. This included [...] contributions from numerous figures in the entertainment industry: entertainer Barbra Streisand ($1,000); singer Don Henley ($5,000) and composer Burt Bacharach ($1,000)."

Also, according to the Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-cause26-2009jun26,0,273794.story):

"While the San Francisco mayor [Gavin Newsom]clearly enjoys support among the current crop of uber-agents, Brown is collecting impressive donations from what might be called "Old Hollywood," including $13,000 from Eagles stalwart Don Henleyand $12,000 from Edith Wasserman, widow of MCA co-founder Lew, the legendary industry power broker."

sodascouts
06-25-2009, 05:09 PM
I wondered why Minnesota is getting so much of Henley's money. Then I realized... it's the state where Republican Norm Coleman has demanded a recount of the votes electing Al Franken. I guess I don't understand politics, but why do the candidates have to pay for a recount, I wonder? Those results aren't supposed to be influenced by who has the most money. Or is this to pay lawyers to stop the recount? But isn't it already underway? Is it for lawyers to argue the recount is wrong if the results differ from the initial ballot count? I don't get it. (Geez, I hate lawyers. They'll say anything to get what their client wants, and if they have to lie or twist the truth to accomplish that task... no problem.)

Anyway, from the St. Paul Legal Ledger (http://legal-ledger.com/item.cfm?recID=11940):

"Among Franken’s $10,000-plus post-election donors: author John Grisham, who contributed $10,000; comedian and actor Dan Aykroyd, $12,300; actor Tom Hanks, $12,300; musician Don Henley, $10,000; TV producer Norman Lear, $12,300; actor Mike Myers, $12,300; and actress Heather Thomas, $10,000.)"

I feel for Coleman. How embarrassing to lose to Stuart Smalley (http://www.randyg.com/blog/smalley.jpg). No wonder he wants a recount!

DonFan
06-25-2009, 11:30 PM
Okay, this is just insane. From a newspaper in British Columbia:

"Wild Apple Restaurant and Lounge won the bragging rights to call their Wild Buffalo Burger the Best Restaurant Burger in Town at the Smoke on the Water BBQ competition held last Sunday at Waterfront Park. The Wild Apple’s Wild Buffalo Burger was a buffalo burger with a spicy mango ketchup, harissa mayo and tangy red slaw, on a fresh baked brioche bun.

Second place went to The Grateful Fed for their Don Henley Burger, which was a more traditional six ounce beef burger made fresh and seasoned in their kitchen. It is served on a whole wheat bun, their special sauce, bacon, velveeta cheese, fresh tomato, lettuce, pickle, red onion."

:laugh: :laugh:

sodascouts
06-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Oh my gosh that is AWESOME! Only a true fan knows how much Henley loves his Velveeta. Kudos to the Grateful Fed!

EagleLady
06-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Man after my own heart, I love Velveeta too

Troubadour
06-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Well, if anything's gonna persuade me to eat meat again... ;)

06-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Absolutely, troub! Personally, I can't wait for them to open up a Grateful Fed where I live. Gotta love the velvetta, huh Don! :-)

sodascouts
06-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Apparently, Henley is mentioned in a book about Def Leppard's Steve Clark called Runway RunAway: A Backstage Pass to Fashion, Romance & Rock'n Roll.

According to The Examiner (http://www.examiner.com/x-5967-Nashville-Entertainment-Examiner%7Ey2009m6d19-Runway-Runaway-reveals-true-story-of-life-love-and-untimely-death-of-Def-Leppards-Steve-Clark),

"In addition to more than 100 never before seen personal photos, handwritten journal entries there are recollections of conversations with the likes of Don Henley, Darryl Hall and John Oates, Mutt Lang and, in one of the lighter moments of the book, a chance encounter with Cher, while in designer Bob Mackie's Hollywood boutique."

Hmm, might have to thumb through this at the bookstore.

scottishlass
07-05-2009, 08:08 AM
hi there ok quick question as im little behind here.
Who is this lady mayor woman who lied about her brother, that knows don LOL. Im a little lost in who she is can anyone, help out with this. So i can get up to speed lol

07-05-2009, 01:18 PM
sl - I'm guessing that the lady mayor you are referring to is what we discussed earlier in this thread here:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=49580&highlight=mayor#post49580

To be clear though, this is not related to the Devore lawsuit.

sodascouts
07-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Or are you referring to that politician who claimed that she was engaged to Don Henley, or had at least dated him, which was proven false? Forget her name, although I think it was posted here.

While looking for it, I found another interesting tidbit that maybe other folks knew but I didn't: Don Henley dated Donna Rice (http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20096297,00.html) (the woman involved in a scandal with presidential candidate Gary Hart in the 80s).

Edited to add: Found it! It was Carrollton mayor Becky Miller. More about this in the Dallas News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/050708dnmetmiller.38fa010.html). Our conversation on the Border about it was here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29991).

sodascouts
07-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Another Google alert where I gotta say "HUH?"

According to the Live Music Blog (http://livemusicblog.synclive.com/on-line-performer-promotion-guerrilla-style/):

On-Line Performer Promotion Guerrilla Style

[The article gives 5 ways to do this. However, I am interested in the first one. Bolding mine.]

1. session -up a MySpace Music Page
MySpace.com isn’t just for children, in fact the majority MySpace.com users are in their late adolescents to early 40’s – likely the demographic your band is looking to market to. MySpace.com music pages allow musicians the ability to post information about upcoming events and even upload their songs. The Black Eyed Peas, U2 and Don Henley are just some large name artists who have leveraged MySpace.com for promoting their band.

----------------------------------

Um, excuse me? Don Henley has no official MySpace and has gone on record saying how much he loathes it when people believe he does. Is this guy referring to the Eagles MySpace? Somebody needs to fact check!

TimothyBFan
07-07-2009, 12:23 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Because we all know how much Don loves the internet and fan sights and MySpace and YouTube and........

sodascouts
07-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Here's a cute Don mention! It's an article about a place called The White Knight Diner (http://stlouiscore.com/?p=2434) in St. Louis.

The Henley part:

"The diner is also a personal favorite of Eagles member Don Henley, who now also has a successful solo career. Anytime he came to St. Louis he would eat at the diner; my dad always enjoys visiting with him. One might even make a connection between his song Sunset Grill and my father: 'There’s an old man there from the Old World, to him it’s all the same, calls all his customers by name.'"

Fan_For_Life
07-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Thank you for keeping us informed Soda. :)

Maleah
07-17-2009, 06:53 PM
So it's not really "in the press," but I found this while looking at the band's bio's on Daughtry's site. I hadn't read it before and I thought it was cute so I figured I'd share. :) Don't forget to "awwww" out loud after you're done reading :)

"Before he had the hippest hair in Daughtry, Josh Paul (aka J.P.) was the coolest kid in his second grade class.

When he was seven, Paul played drums in Don Henley’s “Boys of Summer” video. Paul – who grew up in Venice, CA drumming in his grandfather’s Dixieland band – bonded with the superstar during the video shoot. “We hung out some after that,” he says. “He showed me cool things about drums and took me to the studio where I got to watch him work. I was too young to appreciate how generous he was with his time, but he really taught me a lot about music and life. It was an invaluable experience I’ll never forget.” "

07-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Okay, Maleah, I would like to officially register my "awwww" now. :wink:

Maleah
07-18-2009, 12:20 AM
Noted! Good work dreamer :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
07-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Double Awww!

DonFan
07-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Awwww from me too!

Maleah
07-18-2009, 11:19 PM
I forgot MY awww!! Awwwwwww :D

EagleLady
07-18-2009, 11:22 PM
Here's Mine AWWWWWWWWW

sodascouts
07-20-2009, 11:04 PM
At the risk of redundancy....

AWWWWW!!!!!

Maleah
07-21-2009, 12:28 AM
LOL! I didn't want to be redundant either Soda....but it was just so darn sweet and cute that I had to make sure mine was known too. ;) And Don must have made quite an impression on him if he still remembers and talks about it to this day, now that he's a star too.

Troubadour
07-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Very sweet. Nice to hear!

sodascouts
07-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Here's a funny one from some guy's Twitter archive (http://www.monogodo.com/2009/07/26/the-week-that-was-2009-07-26/):

-------------------

I once asked Don Henley for his ID when he paid by credit card at the music store where I worked
Store policy=always ask for ID w/ CC purchase. I didn't recognize him, so I asked out of habit as he handed the CC to me.
He sighed & pulled out his ID. The CC read "Don Henley, Don Henley Productions".

DonFan
07-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Funny.
Makes me wonder what I would do if Don ever came in where I work? Of course, I would have no problem recognizing him at all!

Fan_For_Life
07-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Ditto that! :)

sodascouts
08-10-2009, 10:10 AM
I thought this was a cute addition to YahooAnswers:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090803104452AAd2XvP

Maleah
08-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Remember the bass player from Daughtry? The one who played the drums in the BOS video? Someone must have asked him on twitter who he would like to work with and his response was "I would love to work with Don Henley again,U2,JayZ,Dave Grohl many many"

Troubadour
08-11-2009, 07:29 PM
I think that deserves an AWWWW reprise!

sodascouts
08-11-2009, 07:38 PM
"I would love to work with Don Henley again

After all these years! He must really respect Don... hey, maybe Don should give him a call!

Maleah
08-11-2009, 11:01 PM
That's what I was thinking! Don must have made quite an impression!

sodascouts
08-22-2009, 09:26 PM
I got this Google alert about Time Life "celebrating the 25th Anniversary of Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame with a Landmark DVD collection of 125 historic induction ceremony performances."

All well and good but the Eagles aren't listed! Don Henley is. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that Don has been inducted yet! Get your act together, Time-Life!

http://www.foundrywire.com/2009/08/time_life_celebrates_the_25th.html

AmarilloByMorning
08-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Haha, that'll go down well with the rest of the band. Maybe they weren't available? Too busy golfing? Or perhaps the licensing rights for the entire band proved insurmountable. Didn't we have a thread about how the entire band required a massive amount to so much as make an appearance somewhere, yet a Party of Two only cost $300k?

Brooke
08-23-2009, 05:25 PM
I saw that TL deal advertised on TV and wondered if the Eagles were in it, so, I guess not?

sodascouts
08-23-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm speculating the the Eagles' 1998 Hall of Fame induction performance is on there, and Time-Life just mislabeled it as Don Henley's induction performance. Guess they didn't notice he only sang lead on one of the songs! :lol:

Freypower
08-23-2009, 07:48 PM
I think Don inducted Jackson Browne so that's probably what it is.

It is typical of the Eagles that they probably haven't allowed their induction to be used.

AmarilloByMorning
08-23-2009, 08:38 PM
It is typical of the Eagles that they probably haven't allowed their induction to be used.
Not to be an absolute jerk here, but that's part of the reason I so adore them... :angel:

Rockin' avatar Freypower - great shot of him!

GlennLover
08-23-2009, 09:06 PM
I think Don inducted Jackson Browne so that's probably what it is

Apparently Don gave a speech at the 1991 ceremony & joined in with the Byrds, Jackson & other stars for a jam session.

sodascouts
08-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Ah! I didn't know all of that. I guess that's what they could be talking about... but if so, it's very misleading. Imagine if you were a hardcore Henely fan who bought that just to see him perform, only to be treated to one song where he's drumming in the background for a jam session. Not cool.

GlennLover
08-23-2009, 10:27 PM
You're right, Soda. But at least he wasn't in back playing the drums. He played the tambourine.

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/1Cdn/Donjackson.jpg

Troubadour
08-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Love that pic!

DonFan
08-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Is it just me, or is that is the longest suit coat you have ever seen? The whole suit looks too big for him.
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/1Cdn/Donjackson.jpg

sodascouts
08-30-2009, 09:41 PM
You're absolutely right. Maybe Don was trying to set a new trend in oversized clothing? ;)

DonFan
08-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Sometimes the man is just SO fashion-challenged. :roll: :hilarious:

sodascouts
09-01-2009, 10:46 AM
A brief snippet from a Don Henley fan (includes pic) (http://woodenspears.com/don-henley-pic-performing-with-the-eagles-on-2009/):

Have you seen a recent Don Henley pic? This picture of the American rock singer was taken after he was spotted performing with the band Eagles not so long ago. His song rendition seems to be so powerful that surely delighted the crowd.

Some of his best known works with the band include “One of These Nights”, “Sad Café” and “Witchy Woman.” When the band broke up on 1980 due to increasing personal tensions, Henley pursued solo career.

As a solo artist, he has released four successful albums and has won seven Grammy Awards in his career. More so, he was ranked 87th Greatest Singer as declared by Rolling Stone.

OK, nothing new here, but I thought it was a nice mention.

sodascouts
09-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Another Don mention. This article is about the Beatles, but includes Don's comments:

The Eagles’ Don Henley is equally enthusiastic about the impact the four Beatles — Paul McCartney, 67; Ringo Starr, 69; and the now-deceased George Harrison and John Lennon — had on pop music and culture here, there and everywhere.

“The wonderful thing about The Beatles is that they went on this journey and took all of us with them,” Henley, 62, said. “Of course, that was a different time and place. Things aren’t like that now. As a culture, we’re sort of in the twilight.”

- "The Beatles Are Hot Again" (http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/aug/30/beatles-are-hot-again/) by George Varga

Prettymaid
09-01-2009, 01:55 PM
A brief snippet from a Don Henley fan (includes pic) (http://woodenspears.com/don-henley-pic-performing-with-the-eagles-on-2009/):

OK, nothing new here, but I thought it was a nice mention.

In other words - he's still got it!

Freypower
09-01-2009, 07:51 PM
This picture of the American rock singer was taken after he was spotted performing with the band Eagles not so long ago

The person seems to be saying he's making a guest appearance with the Eagles.

DonFan
09-11-2009, 12:38 PM
This is part of a very well-written essay from a Salem columnist about saving ticket stubs, something I think all of us do here.

I loved that fact that she said Don Henley was her favorite concert experience. Oh, to have been close enough to "see the pills on his flannel shirt"!! (Bet it was plaid, too--natch!)

Beth O'Grady: My life in ticket stubs (http://bethogrady.blogspot.com/2009/08/my-life-in-ticket-stubs.html)

[Here's an excerpt]

My most memorable concert experience was Don Henley at Harborlights in 2000. I was sitting in the “cheap seats” when a stranger asked me if I wanted an upgrade as her friend could not attend. And an upgrade it was — front row center so close to Don Henley I could see the pills on his flannel shirt.

sodascouts
09-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Dang, that is one lucky girl! And I love her description of how close she was. Hmm, do you think he was wearing plaid? ;)

Thanks for posting, DF.

Troubadour
09-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Sigh!

Fan_For_Life
09-16-2009, 04:22 PM
As I proceed to pack up my memories, I notice a dramatic drop-off over the years. The collection I once added to several times a week slowly dropped to once a week, to once a month, to several times a year. And while I can vividly recall most of the events the stubs represent, I can hardly tell you what else I filled up my time with in recent years aside from work. In fact, this collection is as much a reflection of time lost as it is of experiences gained. And with that, I promise to not let my collection gather as much dust on the shelf, making more time in my life for the type of adventures and experiences that filled it up in the first place.

Great article. Sounds alot like my adventures. I've seen numerous concerts over a 20 yr period and I remember most of them. I can tell you just about everyone I've seen but unfortunately didn't save every ticketstub.

DonFan
09-19-2009, 05:29 PM
I got this today from an article about "summer" songs from a website called rushhourconcerts.org. It contains some interesting background info; I had never read that "rumored" quote about Don seeing Joe driving a Cadillac hearse with a Deadhead sticker on it. I actually have never read anywhere that Don was a "rabid" fan of Jerry Garcia either.

http://www.classiccountry.info/canadian-country-music-reunion/

Freypower
09-20-2009, 02:25 AM
All I remember Don ever saying was that he saw a Cadillac with a Dead Head sticker. There was never any mention of Joe or a hearse. As for Don being a Grateful Dead fan I cannot picture it. It doesn't sound like him at all.

sodascouts
09-20-2009, 02:41 AM
That was an interesting read - thanks for posting, DF!

I think some of his facts may be a bit off. I've never heard that Joe Walsh rumor either. Still, it's fun to read!

DonFan
09-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Don Henley in Winfield? That's what they say

By Shane Farley, Cowley County, Kansas (Shane@NewsCow.net) September 24, 2009 - 12:17:59 pm

Was Don Henley – frontman for legendary rock band The Eagles – in Winfield for the Walnut Valley Festival? That's what we're hearing. Rex Flottman, spokesperson for the festival, said he has a pretty reliable source that tells him Henley was here and circulating at the festival, which wrapped up Sunday. But Flottman didn't actually meet Henley personally, so he can't vouch 100 percent. “I was upset about it,” Flottman said. “I'd have liked to at least gone up and shook the guy's hand. Back in high school that was a big musical influence for me. Don Henley and the Eagles.”

Jack Kellogg, owner of Wichita-based Hatman Jack's, has been at the festival for a number of years as a vendor. He said he believes Henley was here but wanted to keep a low profile and enjoy the atmosphere.
Kellogg didn't see Henley either but heard reports of The Eagles legend making the rounds through the vendor area in a ball cap. So, we have two sources with reliable information but not an actual sighting. But, we just don't know for sure. So, if you met Henley or snapped a photo of him, let NewsCow know. We'll make you Cowley County famous, for at least a few minutes.
I hope Don was there, having a little fun with his family at the festival.

(You gotta love a news outlet that calls itself "NewsCow." :laugh: )

Prettymaid
09-25-2009, 07:32 AM
Was Don Henley – frontman for legendary rock band The Eagles – in Winfield for the Walnut Valley Festival?

Uh-oh...I can see Julie cringing now... :wink:

09-25-2009, 11:02 AM
(You gotta love a news outlet that calls itself "NewsCow." :laugh: )

Seriously - wonder why Don wanted to keep a low profile. I mean who wouldn't want to be "Cowley County famous" even if just for a few minutes. :lol:

sodascouts
10-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Just saw this on Twitter - Don Henley went to the Greg Ladanyi memorial yesterday.

http://twitter.com/chickc

sodascouts
10-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Uh-oh! Don made the list of Bad Celebrity Tippers (http://www.glamorati.com/celebrity/2008/34-notoriously-bad-celebrity-tippers/)!

Don Henley – Very demanding, keeps staff members on their toes, tips 15%.

I gotta ask, since when is 15% a bad tip? I was always told that 15% was the standard tip percentile, only to be exceeded when one receives above-average service.

A friend told me a couple years ago that the new standard is 20% - don't know who decides these things - but Henley is old school, like my dad, who still regularly tips 15%. Maybe he never received above average service at these joints!

Troubadour
10-24-2009, 06:52 PM
He can be as demanding as he likes with me!

In England, I'm used to 10% as a guide, so 15% seems pretty generous...

Peekaboo
10-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Uh-oh! Don made the list of Bad Celebrity Tippers (http://www.glamorati.com/celebrity/2008/34-notoriously-bad-celebrity-tippers/)!

I gotta ask, since when is 15% a bad tip? I was always told that 15% was the standard tip percentile, only to be exceeded when one receives above-average service.

A friend told me a couple years ago that the new standard is 20% - don't know who decides these things - but Henley is old school, like my dad, who still regularly tips 15%. Maybe he never received above average service at these joints!

Who DOES decide things? And Soda, at least Don and your dad leave tips. Needless to say, I have to make my dad leave a tip when I go to dinner with him and he still will only leave a couple bucks. I've lectured him many times and he's still stubborn when it comes to tipping.

sodascouts
10-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Don gets another mention in an interview with Daughtry's bass player Josh Paul, aka "the kid from the Boys of Summer Video":

What was it like to play the drums in Don Henley's "Boys of Summer" video at age 7?

It was definitely a great opportunity. I didn't really know really what was going on. I just knew that I played drums and I went to some audition where there were 500 other little kids. And, I actually got it and did it. I was a little bit overwhelmed, but I thought it was awesome. Don Henley's really cool.

http://media.www.unogateway.com/media/storage/paper968/news/2009/10/23/Entertainment/Daughtry.Bassist.Talks.New.Album.And.Returning.To. Omaha-3812216.shtml

Maleah
10-29-2009, 12:44 AM
I like that guy ;)

I also saw somewhere else where he was asked who inspired him or influenced him (don't remember which) and Don was one of two or three people he mentioned.

sodascouts
11-08-2009, 04:44 PM
So, if you want Don to make a special dedication for you at an Eagles show, here's the price tag:

"at an Eagles concert in January, when band leader Don Henley stood on stage and dedicated, at Rothstein's request, Life in the Fast Lane to the lawyer and wife Kimberly for their first anniversary. His donation: $100,000, to a Henley environmental cause."

- Excerpt from
"Lawyer Scott Rothstein drained pals to live life of high roller" - Miami Herald (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/broward/story/1322574.html)

Troubadour
11-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Geez, I'd better sign up for some more overtime.

Maleah
11-08-2009, 05:50 PM
:shock: I...uh....wow.....dang......better save up so he can say "Maleah.....I'm singing this to you" before he begins "Taking You Home" ;)

ETA: I'd take it before "Last Worthless Evening" as well of course :hilarious:

Troubadour
11-08-2009, 06:05 PM
ETA: I'd take it before "Last Worthless Evening" as well of course :hilarious:

Can you imagine? :thud:

DonFan
11-08-2009, 06:39 PM
http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/music/general/view.bg?&articleid=1210432&format=&page=1&listingType=musi#articleFull

This is a great email interview with Don in the Boston Herald. My favorite part:

"As for me, I’ve spent a few weeks in the studio, both in California and Texas, since the Eagles European Tour ended in late July. I’ve cut half a dozen tracks and we will record more in December, January and February. I suppose the work could be loosely defined as a country album. Some of it is very traditional, old-style country and some of it is not. There will be some interesting guest vocalists and players. I’d also like to mention that Timothy B. has a brand new solo album out."

YAY!! Looks like next year we will finally get that oft-promised solo album from Don. I can't wait! AND he gives a nice mention about Timothy's solo album too.

Let's see....another solo album usually means more solo dates, and by next year I will have worked long enough to get some paid vacation time so hopefully I can see a few solo concerts--with some of my favorite Border friends! It's all good. :nod:

Maleah
11-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Can you imagine? :thud:

Ooooh yes.....I can most definently imagine. :D I might go take a nap and "imagine" right now. :nahnah: However.....that's all I will be able to do...bummer lol

Troubadour
11-08-2009, 06:47 PM
The power of the mind is an amazing thing, Maleah! ;)

DF... Aaaahhhh, that is so exciting! Thanks so much for posting. I'm grinning from ear to ear.

TimothyBFan
11-08-2009, 08:31 PM
How nice of him to mention Timothy's solo cd. Pretty cool. :thumbsup:

sodascouts
11-08-2009, 10:19 PM
That was very cool of him to mention Tim's new album - and I'm very excited to hear that Don's new album is taking shape!

This part made me shake my head, though:

I do have some new material, but if I played it in concert, it would be on YouTube the very next day and then there would be little point in recording it; it wouldn’t be new anymore.

The above quote doesn't make much sense to me. I guess he means that since a small fraction of his fans would hear it on YouTube, it would no longer be something he wants to share with the rest of his fans? I daresay the majority of his demographic does not feverishly check YouTube! Odd logic. But hey, if it makes him feel better to not play any new songs, then that's his decision. He's still gonna put on a great show, and that's all I care about.

BTW, I think Henley did a search about Dr. Alfredo Armendariz on Google to get all that bio information on him.

http://www.downstreamtoday.com/news/article.aspx?a_id=19140

See, the internet can be your friend, Don! ;)

Freypower
11-08-2009, 11:52 PM
It makes no sense to me at all. Who cares if it goes on YouTube? Many people (me) will never see the man solo anyway. Why deprive everyone else of the chance to hear new songs?

And in any case, it won't necessarily go on YouTube, because when Glenn did a couple of LROOE songs at solo shows before the album was released, those were never filmed by anybody.

TimothyBFan
11-09-2009, 09:01 AM
I told myself I was probably just being critical when I read that statement about YouTube because he sometimes rubs me the wrong way with these things as I've made clear before so decided not to mention it. Glad to know others caught onto that also and that it doesn't make much sense to them either. What is his problem with fans enjoying his music?

Prettymaid
11-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Sounds like I'm in the minority here, but in this case I understand Don's point. Once a video shows up on Youtube hundreds of thousands of fans can have the recording for free and therefore make the decision to not pay for it when it comes out in "legit" form. I can understand the frustration in that lots of money and control are given up.

luvthelighthouse
11-09-2009, 09:52 AM
I guess we'll never understand his dislike of youtube. If only he knew, there were people like me out there. It was through youtube that I became a hardcore fan. I always liked the Eagles, but after watching so many of their videos on youtube, that's when I went full fledged fan. I've bought tix to their shows, purchased the entire Eagles catolog, bought shirts and am evening seeing solo shows.

That's our Don though... true to his reputation. At least he gave a pleasant nod to Timothy, which I thought I was cool.

sodascouts
11-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Sounds like I'm in the minority here, but in this case I understand Don's point. Once a video shows up on Youtube hundreds of thousands of fans can have the recording for free and therefore make the decision to not pay for it when it comes out in "legit" form. I can understand the frustration in that lots of money and control are given up.

I think that's exactly what Don believes, but is it accurate? Lots of people aren't interested in buying an album unless they've heard at least one song off of it - and since Don doesn't get played on the radio, YouTube videos are it. It also raises awareness that he even HAS a new solo album out at all, or is touring. Also, as LTL points out, there are people that become bigger fans because of the videos!

Conversely, I have never met any fan - even a casual fan - who has been content with a crappy-quality video that they can't even burn to CD or easily convert to MP3 instead of buying the music. Anyone who would settle for a shakily filmed, tinny sounding YouTube video of one or two songs from the album instead of the legit version is too cheap or too poor to buy the album anyway.

The only place YouTube costs him money is when videos show up from the Inside Job DVD or other commercially released DVDs. It's very true many people will not buy the DVD if they can stream the video. Music... not so much... especially crap quality live music.

So, you see, YouTube makes him money - but he'll never see that, I'm afraid. The mentality of YOUTUBE = EVIL is too deeply entrenched.

Ironically, it's a counter-productive negative emotional reaction akin to the mentality of people who believe that environmental initiatives will cost them money despite evidence to the contrary.... a mentality that Don criticizes in this very same interview. He believes YouTube will cost him money despite evidence to the contrary, and thus he sabotages himself.

Prettymaid
11-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Conversely, I have never met any fan who has been content with a crappy-quality video that they can't even burn to a disc instead of buying the music - or at least the song off of iTunes. If someone is that cheap, they weren't going to buy the album anyway.

Soda, I'd like to introduce myself... :blush: (Honestly, depending on who the artist is, I've done all three - downloaded a Youtube video or audio, bought a song(s) off of itunes, and purchased albums.

sodascouts
11-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Did you not think that much of the song, then, that you had no desire to buy the album after hearing it?

Prettymaid
11-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Did you not think that much of the song, then, that you had no desire to buy the album after hearing it?

Most of the stuff I download from youtube is older stuff, just one song I want on my ipod. But still, I think were it not for youtube this artist would have gotten my money, along with my fandom.

sodascouts
11-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Most of the stuff I download from youtube is older stuff, just one song I want on my ipod. But still, I think were it not for youtube this artist would have gotten my money, along with my fandom.

For a live video of a new song to cost Don money, two things have to happen:

1) The person was intending to buy his new album prior to viewing the video.
2) The person decided, after viewing the live video, that he no longer wished to do so.

In your case, it seems you are talking about an individual song that you would have bought the album exclusively for - that you liked the song that much, but were not interested in the other tracks. Hearing that one song in a live version on YouTube was sufficient, and you felt you no longer needed to buy the album you were intending to buy. Am I understanding this right?

That's not what I'm talking about here. That scenario is not readily applicable to new songs Don performs in concert that no one has ever heard before, especially since the live recordings would not be of commercial quality (I'm assuming what you downloaded wasn't filmed by a fan with a digital camera surrounded by noisy concert-goers, lol). Am I right?

TimothyBFan
11-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Having trouble copying and pasting today geez---Anyways....

This part here really got me..."I have absolutely no regrets about making the deal with Wal-Mart. I think it was a brilliant move on the part of our manager, Irving Azoff. We know who our fans are. They’re the people who don’t steal music online; they still step up and buy the physical product. The Wal-Mart deal made it possible for these loyal fans to get 20 new Eagles songs for under twelve bucks, and we didn’t have to wrangle with the usual fiscal shenanigans of a major record label, so it was a win-win."
Guess what Don--I do both!!! I really don't see anything wrong with that. If I check out YouTube and like what I see, there is a much better chance of me buying it rather than just going into a store and buying it if I haven't listened to it yet.

TimothyBFan
11-09-2009, 02:12 PM
So, you see, YouTube makes him money - but he'll never see that, I'm afraid. The mentality of YOUTUBE = EVIL is too deeply entrenched.

Exactly, and personally, I can't see why he doesn't get this! Like I said above, I usually will go out and buy something AFTER I have seen or heard it on YouTube. It has definitely helped sell me stuff that I otherwise wouldn't have bought because I wasn't sure if I would like it.

Prettymaid
11-09-2009, 02:15 PM
In your case, it seems you are talking about an individual song that you would have bought the album exclusively for - that you liked the song that much, but were not interested in the other tracks. Hearing that one song in a live version on YouTube was sufficient, and you felt you no longer needed to buy the album you were intending to buy. Am I understanding this right?

Most of the audios I download from youtube are not live, but rather from albums or dvds.
That's not what I'm talking about here. That scenario is not readily applicable to new songs Don performs in concert that no one has ever heard before, especially since the live recordings would not be of commercial quality (I'm assuming what you downloaded wasn't filmed by a fan with a digital camera surrounded by noisy concert-goers, lol). Am I right?

My example is not applicable to this particular scenario (Don performing new songs in concert), however because of people like me I can understand Don's overall view of youtube.

11-09-2009, 02:46 PM
I can somewhat see Don's point here, but I do think he needs to "get with the program".

I grew up in the same era as Don, and I remember when the only way we had of hearing music was either on the radio or buying the album. There was also the occasional TV appearances that some musicians would make on shows like American Bandstand and Where the Action Is (yes, I'm old), but, by and large, the only way that we had music "on demand" was to purchase the album.

Obviously, that has all changed now, but I believe things actually started changing with the advent of MTV and VCRs. Now sure, MTV wasn't music on demand, but by recording a song/video on your VCR, you could listen to it anytime you wanted to (or at least if you were in front of a TV). The Internet and other technology such IPODs has changed the rules again, and now we pretty much really have music on demand without having to go out and purchase it. So I do think there has probably been a negative impact on record sales. BUT, at the same time, the internet also gives fans a venue that has never existed before. Just right here on this message board is living proof. I don't think there is any doubt that fan web sites, message boards, YouTube, Itunes, etc. help ignite the fan community's interest in a band like nothing that ever existed before. And that also translates into free marketing for the band. We don't have numbers to really judge the true overall impact, but one thing is certain - the internet isn't going away, so to me, the best thing an artist can do is embrace it and use it to their full advantage in any way they can.

Brooke
11-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Obviously, that has all changed now, but I believe things actually started changing with the advent of MTV and VCRs. Now sure, MTV wasn't music on demand, but by recording a song/video on your VCR, you could listen to it anytime you wanted to (or at least if you were in front of a TV).

And before this, remember the trusty boom box with cassette player/recorder? I used to tape songs straight from the radio onto cassette so I could listen to them whenever I wanted. I did that in 1972 when I couldn't afford to buy vinyl albums. Uh oh, piracy was going on even back then! But it evidently didn't affect how much money Don made as we all know he's now a multi-millionaire.

Yeah, I agree, Don needs to get with the program here with YouTube. It will promote him much more than he realizes. You'd think his kids (and Glenn's) would have helped change their minds on this by now.

EagleLady
11-09-2009, 04:16 PM
I don't think anything will change their minds to be honest. They're old school.

luvthelighthouse
11-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Even w/the advent of itunes, you do have to pay for it. Yes, you can get some music free, but really, not the stuff you want. While I kinda understand what Don is getting at... it'll be on youtube and not new... well, yes and no. It's still going to be new, just not as fresh as hearing a CD for the very first time. Although, once you hear it, be it on youtube or a CD, it's never really "new" again, so I'm not sure what difference it makes.

Maybe we should have started a new thread for this, but it was Don who brought it up... in any case... I'm so very old school. I do not want the itunes or youtube stuff only. Yes, they are great when I'm at my computer and can watch stuff... or my ipod is great when I'm working out... but really, I want the CD in my hot little hand. I want to look at it, refer to it, touch it, carry it with me...

I'm thinking this new modern era of people are going to be split. Some like me and others like Prettymaid. Neither right or wrong, just different.

11-09-2009, 09:08 PM
And before this, remember the trusty boom box with cassette player/recorder? I used to tape songs straight from the radio onto cassette so I could listen to them whenever I wanted. I did that in 1972 when I couldn't afford to buy vinyl albums. Uh oh, piracy was going on even back then! But it evidently didn't affect how much money Don made as we all know he's now a multi-millionaire.

Well Brooke, I certainly do remember those boom boxes - hell, I remember transistor radios! :shock:

And I'm sure some of you remember the recent discussion in Tim's forum regarding Expando. The majority of fans who paid to download the album from iTunes still said they will probably purchase the CD. I really do think that most people want the CD to see and touch and feel. Those people that only want 1 or 2 songs can download them, but they still have to pay for them. To me, it's pretty much the same as back in the days of vinyl where you could purchase singles or albums. Of course, if something shows up on YouTube it's free, but again, I'm not sure how this really translates in term of dollars and cents for the artist or if this free publicity encourages or discourages sales.

eaglesfan
11-10-2009, 01:30 AM
I think people need to remember that Henley is 62 years old now. He's an old man. As much as we cling to music of our youth and want it to remain young forever, the Don Henley who sang Boys of Summer nearly 25 years ago is gone.

He's nearly a senior citizen. Senior citizens don't embrace things like youtube and the like. Relish the memories and enjoy his past work, but accept the fact that he will not be embracing new technologies anymore. It's over.

11-10-2009, 02:28 AM
First of all , welcome to The Border, eaglesfan. Hope you like it here, but with all due respect, some of us don't think 62 is old. And none of us have a crystal ball to be able to predict Don Henley's future behavior. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but making such broad, sweeping generalizations that aren't supported by fact is likely to invite challenges from some of our members here. :wink:

whitcap
11-10-2009, 02:48 AM
I think people need to remember that Henley is 62 years old now. He's an old man. As much as we cling to music of our youth and want it to remain young forever, the Don Henley who sang Boys of Summer nearly 25 years ago is gone.

He's nearly a senior citizen. Senior citizens don't embrace things like youtube and the like. Relish the memories and enjoy his past work, but accept the fact that he will not be embracing new technologies anymore. It's over.

Firstly, welcome to the board. Secondly, I don't believe that's neccesarily true. Don's dislike of youtube has nothing to do with his age. If technology in 1984 had been what is today and youtube had been around he would have probably said the same thing. For example Stevie Nicks doesn't have a computer, but her dislike of computers goes as far back as the mid-eighties when she was dating Joe(I can't remember where I read this but it was in a Stevie interview). Also, while I'm a younger fan, some of the fans here are closer to Don's age and probably wouldn't appriciate that old man remark. (on a side note: Bette Midler, who is older than Don, has said that she loves youtube)

sodascouts
11-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Welcome eaglesfan!

While I don't believe that the age of 62 makes Henley an "old man," I do think the majority of people around that age don't get the YouTube phenomenon. I know my parents don't, although they are a few years older. Obviously, as many people here demonstrate, that's not true for everyone of that age group!

Henley's anger and bitterness regarding YouTube could indeed stem at least in part from a lack of understanding about the mentality of those who enjoy using it.

GlennLover
11-10-2009, 12:43 PM
We wouldn't have How Long on LROOE if soda hadn't posted it on YouTube!!! :grooving:

Prettymaid
11-10-2009, 01:04 PM
We wouldn't have How Long on LROOE if soda hadn't posted it on YouTube!!! :grooving:

Very valid point, GL. :thumbsup:

sodascouts
11-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Which is why I'm so passionate about this subject!

TimothyBFan
11-10-2009, 01:42 PM
:nod:

eaglesfan
11-10-2009, 11:42 PM
First of all , welcome to The Border, eaglesfan. Hope you like it here, but with all due respect, some of us don't think 62 is old. And none of us have a crystal ball to be able to predict Don Henley's future behavior. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but making such broad, sweeping generalizations that aren't supported by fact is likely to invite challenges from some of our members here. :wink:

My sincere apologies...I didn't mean to insult anybody, but I can see how my wording might have done just that.

"Old" is always a relative term. At 39, I'm an "old man" to many! I think Henley is 'old' insofar as things like Youtube are concerned...and I'm an old man insofar as my musical tastes; if you were to poll kids in high school or college today.

That all said, 62 is hardly washed up in every day life. In rock and roll and often times in terms of embracing technology, let's face it, it sorta is.

That doesn't mean the Eagles don't still put on a great show and it doesn't mean there isn't some good solo stuff to come.

and for those of you in here near Henley's age, I will tell you there was a time I thought 30 was old. I no longer do. Then, I thought 40 was old. I no longer do. Heck, I don't even think 60 is really old anymore.

And my 93 year old grandmother thinks people who are 60 don't respect their elders the way they should.

Seriously, my apologies...not a good way to introduce myself here and it was thoughtlessly phrased.

eaglesfan
11-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Firstly, welcome to the board. Secondly, I don't believe that's neccesarily true. Don's dislike of youtube has nothing to do with his age. If technology in 1984 had been what is today and youtube had been around he would have probably said the same thing. For example Stevie Nicks doesn't have a computer, but her dislike of computers goes as far back as the mid-eighties when she was dating Joe(I can't remember where I read this but it was in a Stevie interview). Also, while I'm a younger fan, some of the fans here are closer to Don's age and probably wouldn't appriciate that old man remark. (on a side note: Bette Midler, who is older than Don, has said that she loves youtube)

Well, if youtube had been around in the early or mid 1980's, and if Henley didn't embrace it and other Internet technologies, he would have not had the career he had. His audience is older (again, no offense, I'm part of that audience), and still is inclined to go to the store and plunk down $12 or whatever for a CD.

I actually thought it was natural that the Eagles did something through a place like Walmart. The record stores are increasingly no more, but their audience is much more inclined to go buy a physical cd than they are to download. So they have to go somewhere!

whitcap
11-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Well, if youtube had been around in the early or mid 1980's, and if Henley didn't embrace it and other Internet technologies, he would have not had the career he had.

When I said technology I was actually talking about hand-held filming technology(camera phones, digital cameras, etc.). I just meant that he wouldn't want people in the audience filming his shows back then and putting them on youtube.

TimothyBFan
11-11-2009, 09:10 AM
And my 93 year old grandmother thinks people who are 60 don't respect their elders the way they should.

This just cracked me up!! :hilarious: And welcome from me also ef! Hope you enjoy it here.

Prettymaid
11-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Welcome EFan. Age is definitely a relative thing. I tend to agree with your theory that it is partially why Don despises Youtube. Look at what happened when Soda introduced the Eagles Twitter pages and Myspace and Facebook pages - those of us who are , let us say, more mature fans almost all posted that we were not interested in getting our own accounts. Some did, most did not.

eaglesvet
11-11-2009, 10:17 AM
My sincere apologies...I didn't mean to insult anybody, but I can see how my wording might have done just that.

"Old" is always a relative term. At 39, I'm an "old man" to many! I think Henley is 'old' insofar as things like Youtube are concerned...and I'm an old man insofar as my musical tastes; if you were to poll kids in high school or college today.

That all said, 62 is hardly washed up in every day life. In rock and roll and often times in terms of embracing technology, let's face it, it sorta is.

That doesn't mean the Eagles don't still put on a great show and it doesn't mean there isn't some good solo stuff to come.

and for those of you in here near Henley's age, I will tell you there was a time I thought 30 was old. I no longer do. Then, I thought 40 was old. I no longer do. Heck, I don't even think 60 is really old anymore.

Seriously, my apologies...not a good way to introduce myself here and it was thoughtlessly phrased.
Not to beat an "old" horse, but have you looked at how many rockers are 60 nowadays? I would challenge any number of 30-year-olds to go head to head with Bruce Springsteen as he runs, dances, jumps, cavorts, slides, and whatevers for 3 + hours (oh yeah, and sings better than ever) non-stop...night after night. Ditto for his band members. And John Mellencamp. And others in the music industry. :laugh:

Welcome from a somewhat older fan than you...I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself here, and find that no one is short on opinion!

Fan_For_Life
11-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Who DOES decide things? And Soda, at least Don and your dad leave tips. Needless to say, I have to make my dad leave a tip when I go to dinner with him and he still will only leave a couple bucks. I've lectured him many times and he's still stubborn when it comes to tipping.

I know I'm coming a little late on this one but I have to remind my entire family sometimes that a tip is not 1-2$ but at least 15% and they still don't understand having not had to live on the salary of tips. I don't now but when I did it would make me cringe that someone would only leave $1-2. Of course having done the job myself I'm probably a little more critical on the service I receive so if someone is less than attending to the usual needs of customer service then 10% is all I'll leave. But if they are over the top then I will leave 20%.

GlennLover
11-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Here is an interesting article that Don did by e-mail prior to his London show. "E-mail? Isn't that something that is part of the Internet :hilarious:?
http://www.lfpress.com/entertainment/2009/11/17/11773081.html

GlennLover
11-17-2009, 01:42 PM
dan.brown@sunmedia.ca

Prettymaid
11-17-2009, 01:59 PM
This was an interesting article. Some of the questions we've posed here lately were answered. And I love it that he called Joe a lion.

Troubadour
11-17-2009, 02:02 PM
I thought you might like that bit, PM!

Thanks for posting, GL. Let's hope they make that spring/summer tour a definite!

Brooke
11-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Very interesting! Thanks GL!

This part: I would eventually like to write my autobiography, and maybe a separate book with a more detailed account of my life in the Eagles.

I'd love to read that! :nod:

As for touring, hmmmmmm. :eyebrow:

GlennLover
11-17-2009, 03:50 PM
I really hope he does the autobiography!!! :thumbsup:

Freypower
11-17-2009, 06:27 PM
I realise that Don is constrained in what he can say about the Eagles. I understand the 'west of the Mississippi' tour, but.... but.... I know it's too early, I know that.... and even that is apparently not 'definite'.

I had hoped that he might have come up with at least one positive comment about President Obama. Oh well.

luvthelighthouse
11-18-2009, 01:26 AM
After reading and hearing several interviews from Don, he tends to common theme that he will continue writing songs, but may not continue touring and likes to focus on family and the kids.

Funny thing though, "if" he should stop solo touring in two years, won't his kids be at the age that they aren't going to want to hang out w/Dad? They'll be into the friend phase and hanging out w/them all the time. I'm not saying this is good or bad, just simply pointing it out.

I've also learned that he gives himself the out of, he may want to stop touring, but honestly, I think it's a part of him now. The one thing that always sticks out to me is the one interview where he said, (paraphrasing) that when you pick up an instrument, it's to fit in. I speculate that over time, Don (as well as others in the public eye) enjoys not only "fitting in" but being at the top of his echelon. I'm sure the applause and people coming to see him (solo or as an Eagle) are food that his ego needs. Again, not good or bad, just the feeling I get. I feel Glenn would be just fine if he never stood in front of an audience again... but I don't get that vibe from Don at all.

Overall, I enjoyed the interview and as always, Don's honesty.

TimothyBFan
11-18-2009, 08:22 AM
"Brown: How hopeful are you about the new administration in Washington?
Henley: In its present condition, with its rabidly partisan, corporate-controlled congress; its biased, infotainment-obsessed, ratings-driven news media (which is now being supplanted by amateurs on the Web), and its chronically uninformed and bitterly divided electorate, I’m not sure that the U.S. can be effectively led or governed by anybody, anymore."

Every once in awhile, Don will say something that I so totally agree with that it scares me. :hilarious:

BTW-write that book Don and please press upon the rest of the band that their fans would love to read a book by each one of them!

eaglesvet
11-18-2009, 09:29 AM
After reading and hearing several interviews from Don, he tends to common theme that he will continue writing songs, but may not continue touring and likes to focus on family and the kids.

Funny thing though, "if" he should stop solo touring in two years, won't his kids be at the age that they aren't going to want to hang out w/Dad? They'll be into the friend phase and hanging out w/them all the time. I'm not saying this is good or bad, just simply pointing it out.

I've also learned that he gives himself the out of, he may want to stop touring, but honestly, I think it's a part of him now. The one thing that always sticks out to me is the one interview where he said, (paraphrasing) that when you pick up an instrument, it's to fit in. I speculate that over time, Don (as well as others in the public eye) enjoys not only "fitting in" but being at the top of his echelon. I'm sure the applause and people coming to see him (solo or as an Eagle) are food that his ego needs. Again, not good or bad, just the feeling I get. I feel Glenn would be just fine if he never stood in front of an audience again... but I don't get that vibe from Don at all.

Overall, I enjoyed the interview and as always, Don's honesty.
I think your points are right on the money.

I really thought that interview was very enlightening, probably because we never hear anything from any of the boys on the "entertainment grapevine." Whenever other artists nowadays give interviews, it's usually to confirm or refute something Entertainment Weekly or Star Magazine has already leaked !:hilarious:

I wonder who Low Stars is and what they think now??

And Don is never at a loss for words when it comes to politics...it's just that he took a stand not to take a stand.

Fan_For_Life
11-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Nice lenghty interview. Sometimes I wonder if he has a stash of answers that he vicariously uses, instead of typing a answer eveytime he's asked the same question over and over. Either way the insight is great. Thanks for sharing. :)

Freypower
11-18-2009, 05:30 PM
I feel Glenn would be just fine if he never stood in front of an audience again... but I don't get that vibe from Don at all.

What you say about Glenn may be true, but I don't like to be reminded of it. The thought of Glenn 'retiring' fills me with dread. We seem to have a taste of it right now.

sodascouts
11-19-2009, 02:59 AM
Love the interview with Don - new info, positive tone overall.

First off, I'm so excited that Don said he was going to write and record "indefinitely." That's what I want to hear! I hope he never stops sharing his music with us.

I agree with Don that anyone that says they're happy ALL the time must not get what's going on around them. Glad to hear he calls himself "happy enough." Obviously he's at peace with his life, and his wife and children are a large part of that.

As for the autobiography... oooh, I would LOVE that. Someone as literate as Don would really be able to do it up right, and he's led an amazing life. It would be fascinating reading.

I imagine all Eagles tour dates and the like will only be considered "definite" after they have their yearly planning meeting in January.

11-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Now, this is the Don I love to see shine through in an interview! He is outspoken and introspective, yet positive and endearing all wrapped up in one.

In addition, we learned a few things that we hadn't already heard before. I love his remarks about the possibility of an autobiography. Now, THAT would be a book I would read. He is an extraordinary man with an extraordinary story to tell, that's for sure.

Koala
11-27-2009, 01:59 AM
http://www.lfpress.com/blogs/coolblognametocome/home.html?x=blogs&s=blogs&s_entry_id=6039&s_blog_id=7&p=7

Fan_For_Life
11-27-2009, 12:40 PM
He makes a valid point.

Britt
11-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Totally agree! Very valid!

Freypower
11-27-2009, 05:19 PM
We discussed this earlier in the thread, I believe (starting at page 45). I think it is erring on the side of extreme conservatism not to play new material because you are afraid of YouTube. I think my earlier response pointed out that when Glenn played YANA and ILTWAWD before LROOE was released, those weren't instantly posted on YouTube. I completely disagree with the statement 'it wouldn't be new any more'. I think someone earlier in the thread said that once you have watched a grainy YouTube clip it makes you all the more eager to hear the 'new' song when it is recorded.

NMCD was no longer 'new' when I first heard it played in Melbourne in 2004 but when it eventually appeared on the album it still sounded fresh to me.

ETA: I understand where he's coming from as an artist, but I cannot agree with him from my perspective as a fan who is so deprived of ever hearing or seeing anything new. He should think about how often his devoted fans want to hear him sing BOS, or do they want to hear him sing something they have never heard? I know which I would choose.

ETA 2: Surely as an artist you would WANT to sing new songs live? Surely the thrill of premiering something new should outweigh any other concerns?

Fan_For_Life
11-27-2009, 09:20 PM
I can certainly understand what you mean by hearing a crappy copy of something and wanting to hear it as it's meant to be heard, but the validity of his point is in losing the exclusivity. If he was to play a new song for even the most intimate of crowds, someone would record it and post it as soon as they could. Would that keep a whole cd from making a good sale, probably not. He just doesn't want anything leaked without his consent, something most musicians can appreciate.

Freypower
11-29-2009, 09:47 PM
I don't know if this is relevant but when Don released that Very Best Of and the four extra songs, none of which I owned except for Love Rules, appeared in video format so that I could not put them on my iPod, I was extremely disappointed. He had a chance there to make some of his lesser known songs widely available and he basically chose not to.

He can only control what appears on the internet with his consent in a very limited form. He himself once sang 'you can't put the genie back in the bottle'.

One wonders if one of the songs he wanted removed from LROOE (when he stated that he thought it should have been a single disc) was How Long, given that Glenn's kids saw it on YouTube. Surely not.

sodascouts
11-30-2009, 01:13 PM
I doubt it, FP. The way Don tells the story, Glenn called him up all excited about doing How Long and Don got on board.

Maleah
11-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Not really in the press, but Lucy Walsh said on her Twitter yesterday that the highlight of her evening was talking music with Don Henley for the whole plane ride back. (Some rich guy hired the Eagles and John Mayer to play for a party in his barn...which was apparently huge)

Thought it was cute that her and Don chatted it up

DonFan
12-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Not really in the press, but Lucy Walsh said on her Twitter yesterday that the highlight of her evening was talking music with Don Henley for the whole plane ride back. (Some rich guy hired the Eagles and John Mayer to play for a party in his barn...which was apparently huge)

Thought it was cute that her and Don chatted it up

That must've been some barn and some party! :shock:

Maleah
12-05-2009, 02:30 AM
I know!! She said something about acres regarding it's size but I don't remember what exactly. lol

sodascouts
12-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Moved the review to this thread for archival purposes:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2121

sodascouts
01-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Just got this in a Google alert. Guess Don is still a Dallas Cowboys fan after all!

Blogging The Boys: Pitching In On CBS' Cowboys 'Glory Days' TV Special (http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2009/12/31/1227843/blogging-the-boys-pitching-in-on)

Peekaboo
01-04-2010, 08:39 AM
http://www.ageofautism.com/2010/01/age-of-autism-award-child-of-the-year-sam-debold.html?cid=6a00d8357f3f2969e20128769a1026970c

This is a pretty neat article about this wonderfully talented kid with autism. There's a video of him playing Hotel California.

And here's a link to a pic of him meeting Don

http://www.autismone.org/content/piano-virtuoso-sam-debold-don-henley-eagles

TimothyBFan
01-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the article and pics link. Don looks very happy to have met this young fan.

Hate to put a negative spin on it---but since Don is so anti YouTube and "don't play our songs on YouTube", I kinda wonder how he really feels about this one. Know what I mean? I sure hope this one doesn't get taken down.

Peekaboo
01-04-2010, 08:57 AM
I understand that Don and the guys don't like concert videos on youtube but i don't see what's wrong with someone putting up a video of themselves playing their songs. People do that all the time. Hopefully it won't get taken down.

DonFan
01-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the link to the clip about Don and the autistic boy. He was very talented and it was great that Don went to meet him. I actually have several autistic adults working for me in our museum's volunteer program, so I was very interested in that website, too. I commend anything that raises awareness about autism.

Troubadour
01-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks for posting, Jess - that was so sweet. I work alongside guys with autism, so it struck a chord with me too. I agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence, DF.

sodascouts
01-05-2010, 12:29 AM
My nephew is mildly autistic so this really touches me. Thanks for posting it, Jess.

TimothyBFan
01-05-2010, 08:47 AM
I commend anything that raises awareness about autism.

Amen!!

I think I've mentioned before that I have a severely autistic nephew who is also blind. At the age of 10 now, he can say less than 10 words, will never go to a real school and will never be out of diapers. He is the sweetest boy I know and just lights up when he hears voices he recognizes (which just warms you to the core). His greatest pleasure in life is music! He will sit for hours, rocking back & forth, pushing buttons to play any toy that has music. What is it about music for autistic children?

As far as my statement about the video being taken down---I certainly hope it wont be in this case, I wasn't trying to be negative or mean towards Don, BUT we all know that it has happened several times over not only to videos of the Eagles themselves that people post but of songs being sung by others of the Eagles music. We had a huge discusion just recently in another thread about it.

sodascouts
02-02-2010, 03:28 PM
In the past, I've heard mention of the album The Getty Address by the Dirty Projectors, a concept album with a protagonist named Don Henley. Whenever I did, I wondered why the heck they named the character that, since it had nothing to do with our guy. Well, I guess they were worried Don would wonder about that, too. According to ClashMusic (http://www.clashmusic.com/news/dirty-projectors-re-visit-the-getty-address), They wrote a letter to him explaining the choice which they've published here (http://www.thegettyaddress.com/henley.html). If you're curious, read away!

TimothyBFan
02-03-2010, 08:38 AM
A very nice letter but I really have to wonder what Don thought if he did read it. I'm actually surprised that Don went along with it anyways given his history. Interesting.

02-03-2010, 11:51 AM
That was cool, Soda. TBF, I'd also like to know what Don thought of this. I also wonder if he responded to the letter??? Whether he liked it or not, it doesn't surprise me that he accepted it. I doubt if there was anything he could do about it legally, even if he had wanted to.

Brooke
02-03-2010, 02:15 PM
I can just see Don now, :computer:, or faxing away! :lol:

sodascouts
02-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Whether he liked it or not, it doesn't surprise me that he accepted it. I doubt if there was anything he could do about it legally, even if he had wanted to.

The fact that he didn't at least send a Cease and Desist tells me he must not have been actively opposed to it, even if he wasn't gung ho about it. I mean, this is a man who threatened to sue another guy named Don Henley in order to stop him from using his own name on his own website! If he were sufficiently displeased, one of his lawyers would've come a'knockin' with a C&D.

sodascouts
02-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Don was spotted at the NBA All-Star game in Arlington, Texas' massive Cowboys stadium this past Valentine's Day, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram (http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/1968460.html)!

sodascouts
02-23-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm friends with Jana Anderson on Facebook, a lady who sings backup for Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks regularly and who at one time sang backup for Don Henley. She posted this story today:

"Awhile back touring with Don Henley, I was on my own & got food poisoning the night before the show with Bonnie Raitt. It was a violent sickness & I was hospitalized. I told them to give me anything to do the show in 16 hours. I can't handle meds at all! The morning after the show I was still out of it, used the airplane restroom & forgot to lock the door. Guess what happened? Deer in headlights much?! [...] I didn't know what Phenergan was at the time. I shuffled into the E.R. and just said, 'I have a show, get rid of the nausea.' I have to say that Don Henley stepped up to the plate in every way and took care of the medical bills and cared a lot. He was a great boss for me."

02-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Awwww - that's just sweet!!! :wink: :nod:

Troubadour
02-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Poor woman! Nice to read that Don was so sweet.

Prettymaid
02-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Awww, the show must go on!

sodascouts
03-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Just some music business stuff - wonder if this has anything to do with the YouTube crackdown?

From the CMU News Blog (http://newsblog.thecmuwebsite.com/post/Don-Henley-extends-WarnerChappell-deal.aspx):

Don Henley Extends Warner/Chappell Deal

03-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Well - I think this is all pretty confusing. Can any of our members shed some light on this for me? I figured that each of the four current Eagles has a publishing company to represent them for their solo work. However, I also figured the Eagles 'ownership' (Eagles, Ltd.) would have one publishing company to represent the Eagles' catalogue. I know Don and Glenn each own shares of the Eagles' catalogue, but how does it work to have separate publishing companies involved? I don't believe that any one member has exclusive rights to any Eagles song, do they? Also, does this mean that Cass County Music will not be representing Don in the future? :confused:

sodascouts
03-07-2010, 04:45 PM
While admittedly I'm no expert, I think the individual Eagles have had separate publishing entities for a while (Cass County - Don, Red Cloud - Glenn, Jeddrah Music - Tim, etc.), although Cass County and Red Cloud were both overseen by Lisa Thomas Music Services (she'd put "dba Cass County" for Don and "dba Red Cloud" for Glenn).

Each publishing entity is in charge of getting royalties from the music distribution of their client's work. So, let's say Don co-writes a song with Tim, like he did for "Do Something." They each get royalties. Don's publisher takes care of his share, and leaves Tim's publisher to worry about getting Tim's share.

One time, I was e-mailed by a girl who had performed a cover of "Take It to the Limit" and was selling it through MySpace. She was contacted by Lisa Thomas Music Services so that they could collect royalties for Don and Glenn from her. The girl asked Ms. Thomas about what she could do to give Randy his share, and Ms. Thomas gave her an address to write to, but that's it. The girl told me that the address Ms. Thomas had given her wasn't correct and Ms. Thomas couldn't give her any more information except to talk to ASCAP, that they might know. The girl asked me if I knew how to reach Randy because that hadn't worked for her either. Unfortunately, I had to tell her no, and as far as I know she was never able to give Randy his share.

In other words, Ms. Thomas did not concern herself with ensuring Randy got his third - she was working for Don and Glenn. Each Eagle for himself.

Perhaps Don is transferring the administration of Cass County Music to Warner/Chappell from Lisa Thomas Music Services in order to consolidate his royalty gathering. In 1994, Don's publisher for Eagles material was Black Cypress Music adm. by WB Music Corp; after 2000, Don's publisher on Eagles material was listed as "Privet Songs." I am unsure as to whether Privet Songs was administered by Warner/Chappell but it appears it will be now.

So, it seems to me that all of Don's Eagles publishing not currently administered by Warner/Chappell (Cass County for music prior to 1980, Privet Sounds for music after 2001 if that was not under their purview already) will now be transferred to Warner/Chappell administration. The names themselves will remain and simply be written in the same manner as Black Cypress Music - ie, "Cass County adm. by Warner/Chappell Music Corp.") Warner, which was already in charge of getting his royalties for his solo work, will now be in charge of getting royalties for all of his Eagles work. They will not concern themselves with getting royalty shares for any of the other Eagles.

I think that we as fans will see no difference - this is all behind-the-scenes business stuff.

Freypower
03-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Just to add to the confusion the credits for Inside Job list 'Wisteria Music' for Don's part of the publishing. What happened to that?

03-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the response Soda. I understand what you are saying, but doesn't a publisher do more than collect royalties for their clients? What I'm getting at is that I don't see the advantage of different publishing companies representing various members of a band. It seems to me the band would be best served if all members of the band used the same publisher for the work they do as a member of the band. My understanding is that the publishing company also represents the artist in intellectual property matters. So to use the Eagles as an example, what happens if Don and Glenn have separate publishers and there is a disagreement on some intellectual property matter that the two of them share? It seems to me that the Eagle's best interest isn't being represented with two separate publishers who are not on the same page. Using a single publishing company ensures that the Eagles interest as a band is being represented rather than having two companies going in two different directions to represent their individual client's (Don and Glenn) interests. Hope this makes sense because I was having a hard time trying to explain myself.

Freypower
03-08-2010, 02:42 AM
I thought the publishing company represented the songwriters. As two separate people Don and Glenn each have their own publishing company. They always have had separate companies (so do the others - Wow & Flutter Music & Jeddrah Music). If you go back & look at songbooks or album cover credits the Henley-Frey songs have always been attributed to Cass County Music/Red Cloud Music until LROOE when it changed to Privet Music/Red Cloud. On the song Long Road Out Of Eden, the credit is Privet/RC/Jeddrah to reflect the Henley-Frey-Schmit authorship. This is about songwriting. Their other interests as members of the band are taken care of by their management.

If there have ever been any disputes over 'intellectual property' between Cass County & Red Cloud, the ordinary fan is never going to know about them.

sodascouts
05-14-2010, 02:43 PM
This isn't in the press per se but I thought I'd put it here as I got notified about it through an alert. Apparently these guys haven't heard of the Henley v. Dillard's lawsuit (http://rightofpublicity.com/pdf/cases/henley.pdf)...

The Don Henley (http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?itemdescription=true&itemCount=80&startValue=1&selectedProductColor=&sortby=&id=18502112&parentid=TRENDS_DUDES&sortProperties=+subCategoryPosition,&navCount=14&navAction=poppushpush&color=&pushId=TRENDS_DUDES&popId=TRENDS&prepushId=&selectedProductSize=)

ETA: This is a clothing item being sold by Urban Outfitters (hence the Dillard's Department Store reference).

Freypower
05-14-2010, 06:40 PM
That took me to Urban Outfitters.

sodascouts
05-14-2010, 06:50 PM
It was intended to. Urban Outfitters is selling a henley-style shirt and calling it "The Don Henley." Dillard's did something similar and were sued by Don for it, so I was saying this company better watch out!

I edited my initial post to make it more clear.

Prettymaid
05-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Oh yeah, I smell lawsuit all over that! I guess I missed the Dillards one.

TimothyBFan
05-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Oh yeah, I smell lawsuit all over that! I guess I missed the Dillards one.

You said it first--but I sure was thinking that also!

sodascouts
06-15-2010, 09:22 PM
This isn't exactly "in the press" but it's a cute website I stumbled across that pokes a little fun at our Don's songwriting (which, of course, we know to be genius)!

Check it out:

The Don Henley School of Songwriting (http://www.eskimo.com/%7Ebleach/docs/dhsos.html)

Troubadour
06-15-2010, 09:50 PM
LOL! That did give me a few giggles. Seeing the 'repetitive' choruses written out like that was pretty funny.

sodascouts
06-16-2010, 01:07 AM
Found another Don mention! It's an article about Mike Campbell of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. The part where Don is mentioned starts with:

"More than 25 years ago, Petty passed on what turned out to be one of Campbell's biggest co-writes -- Don Henley's The Boys of Summer."

Read more at EdmontonJournal.com (http://www.edmontonjournal.com/entertainment/Band+keeps+Mojo+working+with+vintage/3154882/story.html)

Prettymaid
06-16-2010, 08:09 AM
I think we've talked before about how well Tom Petty could have done BOS. :rockguitar:

As for Don Henley's school of songwriting, well, as long as Dr. Betsy endorses it! :hilarious:

sodascouts
06-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Found this cute blog entry about Don:

"Henley Letter Leaves Lasting Memory of an Eagle" - The Wichita Eagle (http://www.kansas.com/2010/06/27/1379538/henley-letter-leaves-lasting-memory.html)
by Jeff Lutz

tequila girl
06-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Awwww :hug: :heart: :rockon: :cool:

Troubadour
06-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Awww, that was lovely to read!