PDA

View Full Version : Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

VAisForEagleLovers
03-31-2012, 04:56 PM
I wonder, though, if it's an honorary title, if you should or shouldn't use the 'Dr.' when formally addressing someone with an honorary degree. I'll have to ask around...

Freypower
03-31-2012, 05:35 PM
I wonder, though, if it's an honorary title, if you should or shouldn't use the 'Dr.' when formally addressing someone with an honorary degree. I'll have to ask around...

As far as I am aware the answer is no. Just as Bob Geldof should not be referred to as 'Sir Bob' because he is an Irish citizen. His knighthood is honorary. However, apparently some people do refer to themselves as 'Dr'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorary_degree (see 'Practical Use').

sodascouts
03-31-2012, 06:59 PM
Some universities and colleges have been accused of granting honorary degrees in exchange for large donations

Hello, Dr. Schmit.

(Not that I think the honorary degree was a result of a premeditated "quid prop quo" - in fact, I think that's obviously not the case, considering the timing - but perhaps the university felt a "thank you" was in order for his generous endowment and continued support).

However, Joe's got them all beat. He got an honorary doctorate from Kent University ten years ago. This will be his second!

Victim of Love
04-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Do we now have to call him Dr. Henley?

The funny thing is, had Timothy followed thru with his studies and become a Psychologist, we WOULD be calling him 'Dr."!

Topkat
04-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Hello, Dr. Schmit.

(Not that I think the honorary degree was a result of a premeditated "quid prop quo" - in fact, I think that's obviously not the case, considering the timing - but perhaps the university felt a "thank you" was in order for his generous endowment and continued support).

However, Joe's got them all beat. He got an honorary doctorate from Kent University ten years ago. This will be his second!

Right, Joe said he left Kent State after the shootings there. Funny, now he has a doctorate from there now!

Victim of Love
04-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Joe's Doctorate is also honorary. And I seem to recall that he was far more into his music that his books when he was there. The James Gang play around the Kent/Akron/Cleveland area a LOT. Mom has told lots of great little stories about being something of a groupie when the Gang was getting their start. I suspect the shootings (May 1970) were just the 'push' he needed to leave school and puruse his true love!

sodascouts
04-22-2012, 03:21 PM
I don't think this has been posted before:

Don Henley Says Eagles Breakup Saved Band (http://www.wmgk.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=1689025)

Ive always been a dreamer
04-22-2012, 05:55 PM
I guess I should be grateful for that 14-year vacation, but I'm just really not feeling it! :lol:

zeldabjr
04-22-2012, 06:20 PM
I guess I should be grateful for that 14-year vacation, but I'm just really not feeling it! :lol:

yeah we see it differently don't we?...but I guess maybe we wouldn't have them now if that hadn't happened...and baby I appreciate them a lot more now than I would have then...growing up I guess does that to a person.

zelda

EaglesKiwi
04-23-2012, 04:33 AM
Well, I'm grateful since I missed them the first time around. I'm now old enough to go see them - and can finally afford to!

sodascouts
04-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Same here, EK!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-29-2012, 03:38 PM
This came up today via LinkedIn, apparently Don did a charity show in support of Toys 'R Us Children's Fund Gala in NYC on the 26th.

http://toysrusinc.com/press-room/releases/general/2012/don-henley-and-martin-short-lend-their-talents-in-support-of-2012/

zeldabjr
04-29-2012, 07:08 PM
This came up today via LinkedIn, apparently Don did a charity show in support of Toys 'R Us Children's Fund Gala in NYC on the 26th.

http://toysrusinc.com/press-room/releases/general/2012/don-henley-and-martin-short-lend-their-talents-in-support-of-2012/

The article said "unforgettable performance" by Don...I wonder what he sang? very nice of him to do that event... they must get asked to do so many things...Love you DH..

Topkat
04-29-2012, 08:00 PM
The article said "unforgettable performance" by Don...I wonder what he sang? very nice of him to do that event... they must get asked to do so many things...Love you DH..

Yes, sure wish we could see that "unforgettable performance" by Don. Wonder if anyone there recorded it & put it on YouTube, (Don's favorite site) lol

VAisForEagleLovers
04-30-2012, 06:36 PM
A little article about Walden Woods and they refer to Don as 'former Eagles member'.

http://www.gazettenet.com/2012/04/30/group-seeks-protection-for-land-thoreau-once-studied

zeldabjr
04-30-2012, 07:40 PM
A little article about Walden Woods and they refer to Don as 'former Eagles member'.

http://www.gazettenet.com/2012/04/30/group-seeks-protection-for-land-thoreau-once-studied

Do they know something we don't?...I'll be pretty disappointed if I get to Atlanta and he's not there:hilarious:

Topkat
04-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Yeah, well somebody should let this idiot "staff writer"know that the Eagles still exist & that Don is still a member of the band!!! What an IDIOT :doh:

Windeagle
05-01-2012, 10:22 AM

I'll give the writer the benefit of the doubt. The quote was that the Walden Woods Project was founded in 1990 by former Eagles member Don Henley. At the time, he WAS a former Eagles member. He's just not anymore. :)

Topkat
05-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Well, the article was written the other day, not in 1990. Yes, at that time he was a former Eagles member, but he makes it sound like Don is no longer a member of the Eagles. He should have just said, "Eagles member, Don Henley"

VAisForEagleLovers
05-25-2012, 11:32 PM
The good news is that Don was in the studio recording. The bad news is that Randy Travis interrupted him. But it sounds interesting and I just may have to buy Randy's new CD.

http://www.billboard.com/column/the-615/randy-travis-talks-don-henley-collab-marvels-1007127352.story#/column/the-615/randy-travis-talks-don-henley-collab-marvels-1007127352.story

zeldabjr
05-26-2012, 01:09 AM
yeah really great news that Don is in the studio...Randy's single with Don is really good...I've always liked Randy Travis' voice...really old time country...sounds great with Don's...

VAisForEagleLovers
06-19-2012, 06:08 PM
The full speech given by Don when The Byrds were inducted into the HOF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ioQa26gDc4

06-19-2012, 11:05 PM
OMG - THANK YOU, VA!!!! That is wonderful - I had never seen it before. It is perfect since there hasn't been much new to report on Don lately. He's been keeping on the down-low so we needed something to liven things up here a bit! :yay: :yay:

Koala
06-20-2012, 12:28 AM
Thanks VA.!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Don will be helping aspiring artists the end of July!

The Camp Jam Power Chord Academy and its rock and roll summer camps for teenage musicians and year-round, educational rock and roll music programs for kids and adults, comes to the Saint Mary's College July 22-Aug. 4.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_20900593/walnut-creek-school-notes-mt-diablo-students-rally

VAisForEagleLovers
06-22-2012, 09:30 AM
A car show and a chance to win a guitar signed by Don. In Cass County this weekend.

http://www.news-journal.com/casscounty/news/car-show-at-blues-fest-saturday/article_c8f416e8-a717-534f-8b39-a5994a69caa0.html

VAisForEagleLovers
06-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Album to be 'finished' mid-July, but no release date as he has no label. Five page interview ahead of next week's concert.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20120622/ENT/120622014/Ahead-Reno-show-Don-Henley-talks-music-school-boards-life-out-spotlight?nclick_check=1

TimothyBFan
06-25-2012, 08:12 AM
First wanna say how cool it was that he answered all of their questions. Loved the interview, tho part of it could be described as "beating a dead horse" but we expected that when that particular question was asked.

Loved the Heart of The Matter info. I know that's a song that means a lot to me.

How about the mention of Randy Newman and how the song Guilty is one that he would of liked to have written? Thought FP when I read that part.

My favorite part of the interview:
Q: If you had to give a synopsis of your career in just acouple of sentences, what would you say?
A; Longer and better than I ever imagined. I am amazed and grateful every day.

Troubadour
06-25-2012, 02:43 PM
My favorite party of the interview:
Q: If you had to give a synopsis of your career in just acouple of sentences, what would you say?
A; Longer and better than I ever imagined. I am amazed and grateful every day.

Awww :heart:

BramwenR
06-25-2012, 05:59 PM
I admired Don's intelligence from earlier interviews I saw in the nineties (in the last few weeks on YouTube ). He gives extremely thoughtful, profound and articulate answers and had he not chosen (or it chose him) music as a career then I have no doubt he would have been an academic of some kind.

THAT question, yes, I get it...but the one word I never saw him mention was promotion...piracy and promotion are two different animals. Like him, I have very definite, strong views on that.

I really enjoyed his comments on family, his musical influences and the pros and cons of raising kids..still doing it and I only have one.

The Mojo episode, agree with what Mojo said..and Don put it all into perspective, callng him an iconoclast - we used to have a television show in Australia (on the ABC) called The Iconoclasts [or something similar] - where different entertainment figures showed a new perspective of themselves in an offbeat way. I think Don has a sense of humour, just he prefers to be a serious musician..and he has a great smile..I sense a very dry wit there and quite obviously he takes no crap from anybody!!

Agree with the analog[ue] comments, digitising cleans up a recording but takes away the soul..I can tell too when I listen to more modern recordings compared to those pre-digital...and explains why newer artists can't recreate that same sound live on stage. The old school got it right, in my opinion.

The Heart Of The Matter - anybody who looks him up on wikipedia will see that some of his personal life is mentioned..I thought I read somewhere that this song was to do with the Eagles break up; so there you go.

Loved his last comment...that sums it up very well. He is a no-nonsense kind of man, down to earth and respects his senior persona..how refreshing is that :) much more dignified that way (very classy too) :smile:

zeldabjr
06-25-2012, 10:55 PM
I am continually amazed (although I shouldn't be) at what fine men the Eagles are as individuals...each one of them is very special!!:heart:

BramwenR
06-26-2012, 01:13 AM
I think it shows in abundance by the way they are on stage..and respond to questions in an intelligent way; not like some ignorant rockers of the past (and present) who mumble and give less than literate answers ;) I could sit and listen to each one of them talk all day because they are such interesting men! :smitten:

Prettymaid
06-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Joe once said in an interview that he wants to be remembered as a valid, creative statesman of rock. I think that term serves them all well.

BramwenR
06-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Well I don't think he could have put it any better than that. They've certainly proved themselves that way and then some. I am so in awe of their collective genius, their professional attitude towards what they do..today's musicians could learn plenty from their example.

EaglesKiwi
06-30-2012, 05:31 AM
I totally agree with you, Bramwen. Tim has commented in interviews that they continue to work at their craft, I think that says a lot about them too. No matter how good they are, they keep striving to be even better.

BramwenR
07-01-2012, 07:32 AM
Since this is the place to post blog stuff about Don, I wanted to share with you the blog I posted about him a short time ago.

http://jacquireidpath.wordpress.com/2012/07/01/the-heights-of-henley/

The more I listened to the music the more I decided to write about him. Anyway, just wanted to share some thoughts :)

07-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Very interesting writeup, Bramwen. Thanks for the link.

BramwenR
07-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Thanks for that IABAD.

SallyGee
07-01-2012, 08:23 PM
I know that only Don knows for sure, but I read that Heart of the Matter was written after his break-up with the actress Maren Jensen.

sodascouts
07-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Don will be helping aspiring artists the end of July!

The Camp Jam Power Chord Academy and its rock and roll summer camps for teenage musicians and year-round, educational rock and roll music programs for kids and adults, comes to the Saint Mary's College July 22-Aug. 4.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_20900593/walnut-creek-school-notes-mt-diablo-students-rally

Are we sure Don's playing? I read this in the article: "Artists featured at Camp Jam PCA sessions include musicians who have performed withLady Gaga, Michael Jackson, Billy Joel, Guns & Roses, Sheryl Crow, Survivor, The Fray, Rod Stewart, Bad Company, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The All-American Rejects, Don Henley..." It sounds like some members of his backing bands or session players over the years will be there, not him. Did I miss something?

Victim of Love
07-03-2012, 01:12 PM
What I find particularly interesting about the item, Soda, is that it has a recent date on it but lists MICHAEL JACKSON. Really??????

VAisForEagleLovers
07-03-2012, 01:16 PM
It does say musicians who played with these artists and not the artists themselves!

07-03-2012, 01:47 PM
I actually thought the same thing when I first read this and meant to post something at the time, but it slipped my mind. And no I'm not getting old - it's just that I haven't had time. :lol:

sodascouts
07-03-2012, 04:18 PM
The Reno interview (http://www.rgj.com/article/20120622/ENT/120622014/Ahead-Reno-show-Don-Henley-talks-music-school-boards-life-out-spotlight?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1) VA linked to earlier is very interesting and insightful. I too am impressed Don answered all of the questions.

Some comments regarding his views about the affect of file-sharing on the music industry:

Piracy and file-sharing is wrong, and I think that's pretty established among all ages and has been for a while.

I think it was around 2000 that I personally decided I would not download any more commercially available material, not even one song. If it is available to buy, I will - even if I can get it elsewhere.

Some things, of course, you can't get commercially - live shows or out-of-print material, for instance - but that number is getting smaller and smaller.

I would say by about 2001, people who were sharing commercially available songs knew it wasn't legal. They just did it anyway.

Piracy does hurt people, and it's wrong. If you want music that's commercially available, you should buy it.

However, Don's argument about its effect on the music industry is completely speculative with only circumstantial evidence to back it up. In fact, there is a great deal of problematic logic which this interviewer obviously didn't care to question. I don't blame Don; this is an argument which many executives in the record industry are making and he just doesn't see its holes.

Don is speaking in good faith, but I wish he would dump the problematic argument and facts. Here's what I'm talking about:

"Revenue from recorded music fell 52 percent from the year 2000 to 2010."

That statistic was provided by the RIAA - not exactly an unbiased source. In fact, the US Government has found those numbers to be unsubstantiated (http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-10-423). (It appears that Don trusts the RIAA a lot more now than he did when he formed the RAC.) Even granting that the fact that revenue from recorded music may have gone down in that time period, there are other influencing factors - not only obvious ones like the economy, but others you may not be aware of such as the fact that the music industry was forced by the government to stop price-fixing in 2000 (http://www.ftc.gov/os/2000/05/cdstatement.htm), stopping the industry from falsely inflating CD prices as it had in the nineties.

"The underlying cause is the mindset of the new, cyber-generation – the precept that says anything and everything on the Internet is free for the taking."

Who's he talking about here? For Don, the "new, cyber-generation" could be anybody under 40. Now, before you think I'm making a cheap age joke, let me explain: Napster became a hit in 1999, 13 years ago, and most of the people who got into it then were in college. Therefore, we're in our thirties now. However, even if you take it to mean people who were born or little kids around then - currently teenagers and twenty-somethings - it's still an unfair generalization, IMHO. I understand that Don is frustrated, but making such broad-based condemnations does not strengthen his argument.

He also says there's a "Robin Hood" mentality of take from the rich to give to the poor. I think this is somewhat true, but there's an additional layer to it. The mentality I often see among illegal downloaders is more like this: "the record companies overcharged me and ripped me off for years and I don't want to pay what they're asking anymore. Heck, in this economy, I can't afford to." A bad attitude - just because you're starving doesn't mean it's OK to steal bread - but one that's a little more nuanced than 'stick it to the rich guy.'

"Think of the music business – and it is a business – as an inverted pyramid and at the point is the popular song. Resting on, and widening out from, that point is all the commerce that the popular song creates: thousands of jobs at radio stations, at record companies, CD pressing plants, recording studios, equipment storage and rehearsal facilities, trucking companies, sound and lighting companies, instrument manufacturers, electronics manufacturers, video production, photography, graphic design, management companies, booking agencies, publishing companies, accounting firms, law firms; jobs at music venues, vendors, security people, road crew, bus drivers, food services – the list goes on and on, and I haven’t even mentioned singers and songwriters, especially the ones who are still working two or three jobs to support themselves and their families. "

Don has used this argument before, but I wish he would find a different analogy. This one relies on a number of flawed premises. The biggest one is that the sale of the recorded popular song is what all of the industries he lists rely upon, what everyone's job depends upon. It's trickle-down economics, recording industry style: the more money made by the recording industry via recorded music sales, the most artists everywhere benefit; the more everyone who ever did anything that might be partially associated in some way with the music industry will benefit.

On the face of it, that seems to make sense. If people aren't buying as many CDs, that means less money is going into the top, which means less money trickles down.

However, it doesn't stand close scrutiny.

It's a gross oversimplification to say all these industries are all losing money due to music piracy, and the conclusions gets more and more specious the further down the pyramid he goes. Example: You don't need a statistician to know that the food services industry is not reliant on feeding musicians and that the caterer for a rock star's entourage can just as readily cater the cast of The Producers, but we're still supposed to blame illegal downloading for jobs and revenue losses there. There's a name for this logical fallacy: "The slippery slope (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope#As_a_fallacy)." Appropriately, it fits well with his model's shape!

Let's look at the affected industries Don lists. The premise here is that people in all of these areas are losing money, losing their jobs, because less money is going to the top via sales of recorded music.

Let me just name a few of the factors that render his A-leads to-Z argument problematic.

- less jobs at radio stations: can we really blame illegal downloading for this? The digital age has brought about radio's downfall, not illegal downloading. Why listen to a tightly controlled radio playlist when you can use streaming services like Spotify to create your own playlist or use your iPod to shuffle 2000 of your favorite legally purchased songs, like your own private radio station with no commercials? Plus, what about streaming radio? The latter didn't even come into play until after downloading illegally was popular, yet people are making money off of it.

- less jobs at record companies: yes, jobs are being lost here for sure, and out of all the groups Don lists I do believe this is the one that is taking the greatest hit. However, should we blame illegal downloading, or should we blame their unwillingness to adapt to new technologies, and their desire to instead try to force us to keep using the old technologies in order to keep money in their pockets? That mentality will lose you money quick. I'm not going to use antiquated technologies just because you are making money off of them. I'm going to buy the technology that works best for me, and if you're smart, you'll start investing in that technology rather than trying to sabotage it.

- less jobs at CD pressing plants: This is related to the above regarding evolving technology. Yeah, they're not making as many CDs. They're making iPods and MP3 players. Jobs are not a zero-sum game, and the demise of the CD isn't about illegal downloading, it's about the popularization of digital music in MP3 form. That's why sales of blank CDs (CD-RWs) are also declining; in 2011, there was 31% more supply than demand for them (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:j5Nr3CrfhQ4J:www.sccg.com/documents/CDQ410FX.pdf+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESh6mZ7ofXrnjh8aDn1Nl4jkN0ZidrFOUqGUGwSt Sir4XIC78mc-ZrzsszjtlHftfxSHaqBf3PEqqBJNqG-anSpn9mLmKLeN472PXxqtNzyBMTZpbKm587LmSCRw-ZBlsXIQn-Gp&sig=AHIEtbRv54_JGlwHelZN_yVYgGylhlcU6w), despite the fact that at one time, they were what pirated music was burned onto.

- less jobs at recording studios: blame this one on software like Pro-Tools (http://www.avid.com/US/products/pro-tools-software) which allows musicians to have a digital studio at their fingertips, and no longer have to go a-begging to the record companies for studio time.

- less jobs at equipment storage and rehearsal facilities, trucking companies, sound and lighting companies, booking agencies, music venues, vendors, security people, road crew, bus drivers, food services: woah, wait a second. I thought touring was actually a much bigger revenue stream now than it was in 2000? Indeed, that it was a major revenue stream (http://www.artistshousemusic.org/videos/touring+as+a+source+of+revenue)? Aren't many of those people who are downloading your music illegally still paying to see you live? I think people associated with the touring end of the music industry are getting more work, not less!

- less jobs for electronics manufacturers, video production, photography, graphic design, management companies: any money that they lose on the music end can be made up elsewhere. For instance, if there wasn't money in music management, Irving Azoff would manage other types of entertainers.

- less jobs for lawyers: oh gosh, what was he thinking including this one? Music piracy means LESS jobs for lawyers? The RIAA by its own admission shelled out millions (http://www.itproportal.com/2010/07/15/riaa-blows-millions-piracy-lawsuits/) to lawyers to deal with piracy. Another reason to leave this one out is because many people think less lawyers in the music business would be a GOOD thing, just like ending a war is a good thing even though it means a lot of soldiers will have to find new jobs, not to mention all the jobs that will be lost in the defense industries such as weapon manufacturing.

- less jobs for instrument manufacturers, singers, and songwriters: The premise here: there won't be as many musicians, because they will be discouraged from going into the industry due to the fact that they can't expect to make enough money. This is also flawed. Musicians were broke long before piracy, yet they still kept at it... and how many of them ever got to be millionaires? Very few. They had to know that.... yet they kept at it. Don was broke at one time, too. Was it really just the dream of making money that kept him in the business? Of all his arguments, this 'there won't be as much music made anymore because of the money lost to piracy' is the weakest of all. There's more music available now than ever before, since we don't have the gatekeeping of the labels. Any aspiring musician can make a video now, put it up on YouTube, get visibility... that same guy might have been told to go home by the record label. Nowadays, MORE people want to get into music, because it takes less effort to be heard.

One could read this post as an argument that piracy is OK, that Don shouldn't be mad about it. That's not what I'm saying. Piracy is wrong. If I were a musician, I would be unhappy with my music being pirated as well.

So you may ask, why should we care then if Don makes factual errors in trying to get people to stop downloading illegally? Don't the ends justify the means? His intention is good, so why pick apart his argument?

Well, I don't think letting errors stand is a good idea regardless. However, even if you don't care about that, on a practical level if you are going to make an argument that one should not download illegally, you have to make sure the argument can't be shot down. Otherwise, those downloading the songs will ignore your argument and continue on their merry way undeterred.

Here's why I don't download illegally: It's wrong. Simple as that.

Some reading for those who are interested in this kind of thing: The Sky is Rising (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Qtoe_7a7qMIfmR7L8DueyLqtXxZwMYiRQycoHRyhVkM/edit?pli=1) and some rebuttals of the authors of that report to the RIAA here (http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120217/15023417795/riaa-insists-that-really-music-industry-is-collapsing-reality-shows-its-just-riaa-thats-collapsing.shtml).

VAisForEagleLovers
07-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Here's why I don't download illegally: It's wrong. Simple as that.

I agree with all you've written but especially this. As a software person, I'm very sensitive to piracy and the general idea that if it can be stolen why pay for it. I actually have friends who are of the opinion that our government should stop enabling freeloaders and those who think they are owed a free ride, yet have asked me why I buy MP3s when the songs can be heard on YouTube for free.

sodascouts
07-03-2012, 05:13 PM
I consider YouTube "streaming radio." ;)

On a more positive note than my previous post, I found a lot of other aspects of the article interesting as well.

When Don is talking about the lame habit some people have of chatting on cell phones or texting during concerts, he says that they are so addicted to their devices that "We’re terminally distracted." I thought: sounds like a great song lyric! lol

He says analog sounds "warmer" - you know, I'd never thought of comparing analog with digital when it's in the same format (both CDs as opposed to one being CD and one vinyl, for instance.) I'll have to investigate that, and not be so quick to discount it as nostalgia talking. It's cool he's aware of Joe's album, too!

I always love it when he talks about fan responses to "Heart of the Matter." That song is so amazing - it was that song that made me truly a fan of Don Henley's music. I mean, I loved "Boys of Summer," but "Heart of the Matter" has incredible emotional power.

As others have commented, I love that he sums up his career as "Longer and better than I ever imagined. I am amazed and grateful every day."

BramwenR
07-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Wow, Soda..that's some explanation you've got there.

One thing that niggles at me - and Don is missing this very important fact - that anything posted on YouTube, for example, is promoting the artist. The poster just gets the kudos. Not once have I seen mentioned the word 'promotion'.

When people pay money to go see any artist/s play, the music has already been successful and anything fans post on YouTube is just promotion. Why can't he see that? It's not as if the fan is making any money by posting it on YouTube, Daily Motion, Flixster or any other cyber vehicle for video cyberplay.

The average fan is just posting concert stuff to share with other fans and if you look at the general quality of that, why would they think they could make money off it anyway? And now most of them are riddled with ads, so who gets the revenue from that?

I am totally against piracy too, I never buy anything off the net, MP3 or otherwise because I prefer the hardware, not the software. If it's unattainable legitmately I don't go looking for it illegally.

Your arguments dissecting Don's claims carry a lot of weight, he has been through some heavy stuff with record companies and quite rightly he blows off lots of steam about it but then there are those, like yourself, who would question some of his complaints.

As for the copyright issue he has a beef with, I agree up to a point. But I think it goes a bit overboard when video cameras are vetoed at his shows and cameras are allowed. Maximum exposure is maximum exposure. The majority of artists don't mind if you film them, in Australia for example the majority of shows I have gone to don't have a problem with it. Free publicity.

In most cases where they do have a problem with videocams are the venues themselves but then, for security reasons. Some of the biggest names who come here don't mind because they know a great number of videos are going to end up on their official sites and be promoted on YouTube. If artist/s want to showcase new material in solo shows then I agree, it is pre-empting anything that is previously unreleased..as was the case with TBS recently.

However it's quite obvious nothing anybody says is going to change his stance. Some interesting facts you brought up there.

EaglesKiwi
07-06-2012, 05:37 AM
Thanks for your thoughtful and thought-provoking commentary on Don's interview, Soda.

I have a few thoughts to add:

Piracy and file-sharing is wrong, and I think that's pretty established among all ages and has been for a while. Absolutely it's wrong, and it seems really simple to me - however I'm not sure that it's established "among all ages". I think teenagers have "grown up" with YouTube and so may similar sites, plus social networking, email, text etc etc and they send links to files, copies of stuff etc without ever stopping to think whether they are infringing on copyright first.

The most successful tactic I've used to counter this is to buy my teenager iTunes gift cards whenever he does something particularly good, so he can go buy stuff. If only he was "good" a lot more, that might actually work...

Some things, of course, you can't get commercially - live shows or out-of-print material, for instance - but that number is getting smaller and smaller.
This is getting close to one of my pet peeves, so I'm going to go ahead & raise it. The material you can buy legally varies by country. We are now well into the 21st century and the recording industry has not yet grasped the concept of a global market - they are not doing themselves any favours. Music should be released globally and it should be at globally consistent pricing (with a small allowance for any genuine additional costs incurred selling in multiple markets). If you can't find a legal copy of something easily and at a reasonable price, it's tempting to go look for ANY copy.

- less jobs for electronics manufacturers, video production, photography, graphic design, management companies: any money that they lose on the music end can be made up elsewhere. For instance, if there wasn't money in music management, Irving Azoff would manage other types of entertainers.
Another example - there are opportunities in the creation & production of DVDs - concert recordings, documentaries, compliations etc. Look for the new opportunities!

- less jobs for instrument manufacturers, singers, and songwriters: The premise here: there won't be as many musicians, because they will be discouraged from going into the industry due to the fact that they can't expect to make enough money. This is also flawed. Musicians were broke long before piracy, yet they still kept at it... at how many of them ever got to be millionaires? Very few. They had to know that.... yet they kept at it. Don was broke at one time, too. Was it really just the dream of making money that kept him in the business? Of all his arguments, this 'there won't be as much music made anymore because of the money lost to piracy' is the weakest of all. There's more music available now than ever before, since we don't have the gatekeeping of the labels. Any aspiring musician can make a video now, put it up on YouTube, get visibility... that same guy might have been told to go home by the record label. Nowadays, MORE people want to get into music, because it takes less effort to be heard.
I think the valid point here would be that musicians should have the ability to earn a living from their craft, and I have no argument with that. Whether they have more or less opportunity to do that now... I just don't know. So much of the contemporary music I hear now just doesn't sound like music to me, and yet these performers (I won't call them artists or singers) seem to make rather a lot of money. Are there people out there who genuinely have the talent who aren't getting heard - well yes, I'm sure there are - as there have always been. ("I don't know why fortune smiles on some, & let's the rest go free...").b

re: more people wanting to get into music - I think the people with the talent to be musicans have always WANTED to be musicians - nowadays the opportunities exist to record & broadcast your music at lower cost (via YouTube etc). Will that ultimately lead to selling enough music to make a living - well it has worked for some. Unfortunately some of the people making the most money aren't the ones with the most talent, but that's perhaps more of a reflection on audience "taste" :hilarious:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-06-2012, 12:33 PM
A nice mention of Don...

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/session-great-leland-sklar-on-playing-with-10-music-legends-550583/6

BramwenR
07-06-2012, 04:19 PM
A nice mention of Don...

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/session-great-leland-sklar-on-playing-with-10-music-legends-550583/6

Nice little story, I always enjoy reading what fellow musos have to say about fellow musos:) One thing that always amazes me is how someone is always able to drum and sing at the same time.

It's like that thing we try and do, rub our tummies and pat our heads..one side or other of the brain must take over for drummers, I swear, it's hard!!

07-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Thanks for that link, VA. Always good to hear about the respect that other artist have for our guys!

EaglesKiwi
07-07-2012, 03:58 AM
Particularly nice to see Don given credit for his drumming skills. :)

zeldabjr
07-07-2012, 06:17 AM
Particularly nice to see Don given credit for his drumming skills. :)

totally agree:drummer::heart:

Freypower
07-07-2012, 08:39 PM
I agree too, but given that the vast majority of Don's drumming has been with the Eagles I wonder which sessions Leland Sklar is talking about.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-07-2012, 08:56 PM
I agree too, but given that the vast majority of Don's drumming has been with the Eagles I wonder which sessions Leland Sklar is talking about.

I wondered the same thing!

Troubadour
07-08-2012, 02:43 PM
That was a great read - thanks! I love Lee Sklar and it was lovely to read a few of his comments about some of my favourite musicians.

I know he played bass on the 'I Can't Stand Still' album, which may be when he gained the most experience of listening to, and playing with, Don in the studio.

07-29-2012, 01:31 PM
I was browsing this site for info that Topkat posted about Joe, and I happened upon this. I don't recall this being posted before. Although there's not really anything here that us hardcores don't already know, I thought the title and list were pretty amusing ...

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-don-henley/

Tiffanny Twisted
07-29-2012, 02:11 PM
I was browsing this site for info that Topkat posted about Joe, and I happened upon this. I don't recall this being posted before. Although there's not really anything here that us hardcores don't already know, I thought the title and list were pretty amusing ...

Thanks for posting this site. I really enjoyed it. There were things there I wasnt aware of. ButI gotta tell u , I dont like the "grey Goat".

Makes our handsome guy look old.

tt

Topkat
07-29-2012, 04:14 PM

I don't think this has been posted. There are some fantastic clips in the sidelines. Love that one of Don doing "The Times They Are A Changin'" I've never seen that before! Pretty Hot!

Tiffanny Twisted
07-29-2012, 06:45 PM
I don't think this has been posted. There are some fantastic clips in the sidelines. Love that one of Don doing "The Times They Are A Changin'" I've never seen that before! Pretty Hot!
I saw DOn do" Everyone wants to rule the world " live and it wa hot.
Wish he would record that song .
Talent it talent and he is talented
tt

Troubadour
07-30-2012, 07:01 AM
Thanks for that, Dreamer! I agree with you, TT, that he does a great cover of Everybody Wants To Rule The World.

I LOVE his country side and can't wait to hear this new album! I heard him do a husky, slow, live version of Too Far Gone once (an audio recording) and OMG - one of the sexiest, most heartbreaking things I have ever heard! He did a cute intro, too, insinuating that some people in the audience were indeed, too far gone... :lol:

Tiffanny Twisted
08-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Thanks for that, Dreamer! I agree with you, TT, that he does a great cover of Everybody Wants To Rule The World.

I LOVE his country side and can't wait to hear this new album! I heard him do a husky, slow, live version of Too Far Gone once (an audio recording) and OMG - one of the sexiest, most heartbreaking things I have ever heard! He did a cute intro, too, insinuating that some people in the audience were indeed, too far gone... :lol:
I"m just saying it was a great cover job well done.
He is a talented guy drumming, singing , writing , performing..he has it all covered.
We saw him do that a long time ago and it still sticks in my mind..it was that good:thumbsup:

Tiffanny Twisted
08-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Joe once said in an interview that he wants to be remembered as a valid, creative statesman of rock. I think that term serves them all well.
I agree,is statement covers them all.
talent is talent and they got talent.

Tiffanny Twisted
08-04-2012, 10:46 PM
I consider YouTube "streaming radio." ;)

On a more positive note than my previous post, I found a lot of other aspects of the article interesting as well.

When Don is talking about the lame habit some people have of chatting on cell phones or texting during concerts, he says that they are so addicted to their devices that "We’re terminally distracted." I thought: sounds like a great song lyric! lol

He says analog sounds "warmer" - you know, I'd never thought of comparing analog with digital when it's in the same format (both CDs as opposed to one being CD and one vinyl, for instance.) I'll have to investigate that, and not be so quick to discount it as nostalgia talking. It's cool he's away of Joe's album, too!

I always love it when he talks about fan responses to "Heart of the Matter." That song is so amazing - it was that song that made me truly a fan of Don Henley's music. I mean, I loved "Boys of Summer," but "Heart of the Matter" has incredible emotional power.

As others have commented, I love that he sums up his career as "Longer and better than I ever imagined. I am amazed and grateful every day."
OOH..SOda,
I love that quote from Don. Sounds like a man who is talented and grateful and I am glad.

ALso agree with you about" The heart of the matter".
One of my fav Don songs.
SUch a talented guy.

Greatful are we that he chose to share the talent that God gave him with the world..it makes it a beter place .

VAisForEagleLovers
08-28-2012, 07:08 AM
A little blurb about Don... All I can say is that he'd have even more money if he'd ever release his new album and go on tour for it. Not that I'm nagging or anything.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ringo-starr-phil-collins-worlds-richest-drummers/

zeldabjr
08-28-2012, 01:08 PM
A little blurb about Don... All I can say is that he'd have even more money if he'd ever release his new album and go on tour for it. Not that I'm nagging or anything.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ringo-starr-phil-collins-worlds-richest-drummers/
Don is fourth behind Dave Grohl? really?

Topkat
08-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Another article on the richest drummers.

http://iheart.q1043.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=457573&article=10377818

Tiffanny Twisted
08-29-2012, 09:19 PM

hEY HE did something like that on the night that we saw him solo.
he wasnt feeling to well so he made a comment about waiting for the meds to take affect,,,he has a whitty side lol who knew??

but I love his version of everybody rules the world, awsome

EaglesKiwi
08-30-2012, 05:11 AM
Don is fourth behind Dave Grohl? really?
And Mick Fleetwood all the way down at #30?

It does mention "net worth" - do they mean what's left after they've partied up/donated to charity/paid of ex-wives etc...? :hilarious:

sodascouts
08-30-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm surprised Mick Fleetwood is even on there at all. His investments are so poor that at one point, he actually had to file for bankruptcy. Plus, he gets no songwriting credits (with the exception of "The Chain") that would garner him royalties, and he can hardly tour solo to get revenue from live shows. When Fleetwood Mac doesn't tour, his income level is severely affected. Lucky for him, they're hitting the road again in 2013.

Tiffanny Twisted
08-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Here's an article that rates the richest drummers. Don Henley might not be Ringo Starr, but he's close!

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=754433

Topkat
08-30-2012, 06:58 PM
I really want to know how Steven Adler is worth $15 million. I mean, he must have spent most of his money on drugs.
Some of the people on this list really shocked me.
I wonder where they get this kind of information on how much money everyone has....Just curious

08-30-2012, 09:06 PM
It does mention "net worth" - do they mean what's left after they've partied up/donated to charity/paid of ex-wives etc...? :hilarious:

I think you are right, EK. I would think Don would be worth more than David Grohl too, but he must spend more money than David does. lol

I would have also thought that Charlie Watts would have been higher on the list, but I he must spend a lot of money too.

Topkat
08-31-2012, 12:24 AM
I think you are right, EK. I would think Don would be worth more than David Grohl too, but he must spend more money than David does. lol

I would have also thought that Charlie Watts would have been higher on the list, but I he must spend a lot of money too.

How would they have any idea how much money they spend? That seems impossible.
They must figure this in terms of property they own and how much they make on touring & other money they make from projects. They can't know how much they spend.

Tiffanny Twisted
08-31-2012, 09:28 AM
Ok...I was always a gal who a guy with tight jeans and a guitar would turn my head.....but DH , Scott Crago ,Ringo and John PArrish (drummer for ewf) are my fav drummers.There is something to be said about drummers.....and who knew they made so much $$$$$?????

tt:drummer:

EaglesKiwi
09-02-2012, 05:21 AM
How would they have any idea how much money they spend? That seems impossible.
They must figure this in terms of property they own and how much they make on touring & other money they make from projects. They can't know how much they spend.
You're absolutely right, TK. Which I guess makes these lists a bit ridiculous.

I'll concede that some information is either publicly known (e.g. Soda commented that Mick Fleetwood's investments were a disaster... or some divorce payouts which get a lot of publicity); or the information can be reasonably calculated (song writing royalties perhaps? possibly tour revenue?). Maybe even some donations are known (e.g. Don's contributions to Walden Woods & the Caddo Lake Institute)... but surely even celebrities get to keep SOME information on their finances private??

VAisForEagleLovers
09-06-2012, 08:33 PM
As I mentioned in the last post I put in Glenn's thread, assuming 'etc' can mean Tweets about our guys, here's two that came up in my search. John Rich is half of the country band Big & Rich, one of the few more recent country acts that I truly like and own some of their music. Apparently, someone chastised Mr. Rich for his language.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/tweets/johnrich.jpg

zeldabjr
09-06-2012, 10:22 PM
As I mentioned in the last post I put in Glenn's thread, assuming 'etc' can mean Tweets about our guys, here's two that came up in my search. John Rich is half of the country band Big & Rich, one of the few more recent country acts that I truly like and own some of their music. Apparently, someone chastised Mr. Rich for his language.

Big & Rich...Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy right? are they still together? I kind of like them...I think it's cute how John Rich reacted!!..I'd probably say more than Holy Shit!!!..probably a huge thrill and honor for him..

Topkat
09-07-2012, 08:33 AM
Love John Rich. I know he Tweets like crazy! Love that. How cool that he met Don at the airport!!!...Sure wish our guys tweeted a bit more. I know Joe & Timothy tweet, but TBS hardly tweets at all. Joe does a bit more, but Don & Glenn???? I think that will be happening...NEVER.. LOL :brickwall:

Brooke
09-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Wow! I'm sure JR was probably flabbergasted! I've seen them recently on CMT doing a new song, 'That's Why I Pray'. Great song!

Freypower
09-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Glenn doesn't even have an iPod. All he does is text.

Henley Honey
09-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Glenn doesn't even have an iPod. All he does is text.

On a flip-phone! I thought my husband had the last one on the planet. Nope. Glenn's got one too!

Topkat
09-07-2012, 10:02 PM
I miss my flip phone! I loved my Razor

VAisForEagleLovers
09-07-2012, 10:06 PM
I miss my flip phone! I loved my Razor

I did, too! It fit in my hand just perfectly! I paid more in replacement batteries than I did for the phone. Now I have a Droid Razr (Maxx) and while I love that I can do so much with it, I miss the convenience of the old Razr. Of course, I couldn't see the CallerID without reading glasses, so I can't go back :grin:

Topkat
09-08-2012, 08:21 AM
I did, too! It fit in my hand just perfectly! I paid more in replacement batteries than I did for the phone. Now I have a Droid Razr (Maxx) and while I love that I can do so much with it, I miss the convenience of the old Razr. Of course, I couldn't see the CallerID without reading glasses, so I can't go back :grin:

I think I had my Razor for about 5 years & the battery never even died, but I finally gave it up too when I switched providers.

sodascouts
09-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Yeah, if Glenn didn't take up tweeting to promote After Hours as Joe did for Analog Man, I doubt he ever will. As for Don.... well, he has an announcement on his website that he does NOT tweet (referenced here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1909)) so unless he has a change of heart... not happening.

I too love this tweet from Rich - very cute how he reacted!

VAisForEagleLovers
09-08-2012, 03:06 PM
I understand, sort of, why Don feels the way he does. Social media, like everything else, has its uses and abuses. If we were to shun every advance in communication because a few bad apples misused it or didn't have the sense to be careful about what they communicate, then the printing press would have lasted all of a few years and then where would we be?

I've gotten into a real rut. Only so many hours in a day, and my job sucks up a lot of my time and energy. I've found in the last few months that while I used to check email a couple times an hour, I'm down to a couple times a day. I never use the phone except for work-related things. I don't go to too many websites anymore. Anything I'm interested in comes through my Facebook newsfeed. The newspapers I read, the TV news I listen to. Of course every feed from the Pirates, Steelers, and Penguins. All my friends and family know if they want me to know something, they need to text or send a FB message or wallpost, or tell me in person (always a good option).

There are a lot of my friends like me. I guess what I'm saying is, if you want me to know you're putting out a new album, you better put it on FB. Of course, due to this message board, I do have other methods of finding out, like the Google alerts and Twitter searches. Other bands, well, if it's not on FB I don't know about it.

And there is my rant for the day. :grin:

Freypower
09-08-2012, 10:06 PM
I'm still new to FB but I think the more I get used to it the more likely it is that I will hear news there rather than on conventional websites.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-09-2012, 09:32 PM

so cool......lanugage doesnt bother me hee...give the guy a break he was excited so would I be...And to find he wants to write a song with him...what an honor.. go John rich...and what a class guy Dh was...
Hey seems like that is three of our guys flyin around the country..

awsome

OOH ANd I am not on fb...dont really see the need for me to be.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Remember the reporter who irritated Don with trying to clarify the 'spirit' reference in HC? He's retiring. This is his final column, and it's actually a cute little article, with a Stevie reference in it as well.

http://www.cleveland.com/pdq/index.ssf/2012/09/pop_music_critic_john_soeder_s.html

zeldabjr
09-10-2012, 06:26 PM
so cool......lanugage doesnt bother me hee...give the guy a break he was excited so would I be...And to find he wants to write a song with him...what an honor.. go John rich...and what a class guy Dh was...
Hey seems like that is three of our guys flyin around the country..

awsome

OOH ANd I am not on fb...dont really see the need for me to be.

I'm gonna start flying around the country....maybe I'll run into the fourth!!!

Tiffanny Twisted
09-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Remember the reporter who irritated Don with trying to clarify the 'spirit' reference in HC? He's retiring. This is his final column, and it's actually a cute little article, with a Stevie reference in it as well.

http://www.cleveland.com/pdq/index.ssf/2012/09/pop_music_critic_john_soeder_s.html

cute intresting articel..Why would you wanna tick off Dh???

Tiffanny Twisted
09-10-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm gonna start flying around the country....maybe I'll run into the fourth!!!

Zelda,
I am with you. But I hate flying lol

Topkat
09-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Don also makes list of richest lead singers. Funny that they have a different amount listed here....Don't get that???

http://iheart.q1043.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=457573&article=10416241

VAisForEagleLovers
09-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Glenn should have made that list. They have his net worth over the number at the bottom of the list. They don't consider him a lead singer?

They listed Don as $200 million in the previous article. The different number was reported by another rag referencing this group and they had a typo.

Freypower
09-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Glenn should have made that list. They have his net worth over the number at the bottom of the list. They don't consider him a lead singer?

They listed Don as $200 million in the previous article. The different number was reported by another rag referencing this group and they had a typo.

It's amazing how often this misconception occurs that the Eagles have only one 'lead singer'. To be fair, it does happen the other way too with Glenn being called 'lead singer', but not so often as with Don.

Prettymaid
09-13-2012, 08:46 PM
That's one of the things that attracted me to the Eagles back in the 70's. They all sang lead!

09-14-2012, 10:51 AM
I agree PM. I don't know how anyone could not consider Glenn a lead singer. Go figure. :shock:

I really question the accuracy of this info anyway. It's hard for me to believe that Don's net worth is that much higher than Glenn's. I would assume that most of their income has come from the Eagles and, if that's the case, then their earnings from that little business venture should be about equal. Now, it's true that Don's solo career was more successful than Glenn's, but certainly not to the point where his net worth is more than double Glenn's. I'm not sure where these numbers come from, but, if they are accurate, I guess that means Glenn must have spent a lot more of his earnings than Don has or either Don has invested a lot more wisely than Glenn. :shrug:

VAisForEagleLovers
09-14-2012, 11:04 AM
In addition, these numbers on this site have been about the same for many years now. Hard for me to believe the numbers haven't changed at all in many years.

sodascouts
09-14-2012, 01:52 PM
As I always tell my students, don't believe figures you read on the internet unless you understand how they were derived and by whom.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-14-2012, 02:01 PM
As I always tell my students, don't believe figures you read on the internet unless you understand how they were derived and by whom.

And why.

sodascouts
09-14-2012, 02:10 PM
...Which can usually be figured out after you discover "by whom"! lol

Heck, this applies to ANYTHING you read, not just figures on the internet!

Topkat
09-14-2012, 04:35 PM
You have to take these things with a grain of salt...Who knows where these numbers come from. Someone pointed out that Billy Joel is not even on the list. I would think he has a pretty huge net worth!

VAisForEagleLovers
09-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Found this interesting...

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/tweets/johnrichandmexicanfood_zps2d473711.jpg

sodascouts
09-20-2012, 02:42 PM
I wonder if they're in Nashville now? If so, I think Don will probably be disappointed with lunch. Tennessee does not do TexMex right.

Can't wait to see the pics!

Brooke
09-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Cool! Can't wait to see pics!

VAisForEagleLovers
09-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Another tweet and the promised picture.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/tweets/johnrichtequilasunrisetweet_zpsa93aac4d.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/tweets/johnanddonpic_zpsc805566c.jpg

zeldabjr
09-20-2012, 05:11 PM
I love it...John Rich's tweets are a hoot!!!...we can tell he's in awe of Mr. Henley!!!(as we are too)

Tori
09-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Awww, that picture just made my day! Don's looking gooood. :thumbsup:

sodascouts
09-20-2012, 06:22 PM

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/tweets/johnrichtequilasunrisetweet_zpsa93aac4d.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/tweets/johnanddonpic_zpsc805566c.jpg

Oh my gosh, I love it!! Adorable!!

(I wonder if Rich told Don his photo was going to be tweeted? lol!)

Topkat
09-20-2012, 07:43 PM
I think they are in LA. John performed on Jay Leno yesterday.

Topkat
09-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Correction, maybe in Dallas. John tweeted he was catching a plane to Dallas!
Hard to keep track of these guys!

VAisForEagleLovers
09-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Oh my gosh, I love it!! Adorable!!

(I wonder if Rich told Don his photo was going to be tweeted? lol!)

Soda, I wondered the same thing when I saw it!

Tiffanny Twisted
09-20-2012, 09:29 PM

omg I love it.!!!
wonder where they were??
tt

VAisForEagleLovers
09-21-2012, 06:49 AM
omg I love it.!!!
wonder where they were??
tt

Good question. As Tk says above, John was in LA, tweeted he was going to Texas. Another tweet from someone who seems to be a friend of his said she was sorry to have missed them in Nashville and to have a good time in TX. Or something like that.

Topkat
09-21-2012, 08:17 AM
John did the Jay Leno Show & tweeted after the show that he was heading to Dallas after the show, so this must have been in Dallas.:)

Brooke
09-21-2012, 09:51 AM
OMG! Don will be ballistic! :hilarious:

Topkat
09-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Yes, can you imagine how Don will feel when he learns his picture is on Twitter? I wonder if he knows that John tweets like crazy? :nahnah:

Witchy Woman
09-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Haha. The second I saw the pic I said "Damn, I hope Don doesn't know that was for Twitter !!" . After I thought about it though, I'm sure John told him what it was for. I doubt very highly he would blatantly disrespect a man he was so excited to meet and have a chance to work with. Don can be a charming and genuine man. Maybe he's lightened up a little. I'm sure his kids have Facebooks and Twitters.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Haha. The second I saw the pic I said "Damn, I hope Don doesn't know that was for Twitter !!" . After I thought about it though, I'm sure John told him what it was for. I doubt very highly he would blatantly disrespect a man he was so excited to meet and have a chance to work with. Don can be a charming and genuine man. Maybe he's lightened up a little. I'm sure his kids have Facebooks and Twitters.

I thought the same thing, WW.

Topkat
09-21-2012, 09:00 PM
John Rich is a sweet guy. I really didn't know much about him until I saw him on Celebrity Apprentice, which he won. He was just so nice, smart, & charming. I think he & Don would get along famously! I'm sure he told Don he was going to Twitter the picture. :thumbsup:

Topkat
09-23-2012, 11:58 PM
John Rich TWEETED me back when I asked him about his dinner with Don & if they are writing together, but I can't seem to copy the tweet & post it here.
You can see the tweet @JohnRich
My twitter is @Topkat311

VAisForEagleLovers
09-24-2012, 07:29 AM
John Rich TWEETED me back when I asked him about his dinner with Don & if they are writing together, but I can't seem to copy the tweet & post it here.
You can see the tweet @JohnRich
My twitter is @Topkat311

Here 'tis!
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/tweets/TK_zpsede48c93.jpg

zeldabjr
09-24-2012, 07:43 AM
wow very cool!

Topkat
09-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Here 'tis!
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/tweets/TK_zpsede48c93.jpg

Yes, I was SHOCKED that John actually answered my tweet! More shocking, DON TEXTS!!!
Well, he's moving in the right direction! LOL:):):):)

Topkat
09-24-2012, 08:58 AM
VA, Thanks for posting it for me....I couldn't do it, but I have no idea how to do Screen caps! LOL:-(

Brooke
09-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Wow, Tk! That's very cool!

Yes, it's unbelievable that Don texts! Although I remember resisting it for quite some time myself. I finally figured out that my kids would text me before they would call me, so I reluctantly gave in. lol

Tiffanny Twisted
09-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Hey congrats TK

really cool that he texted back

sodascouts
09-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Very cool!! Don texts, eh? Good for him! Modern technology is our friend! ;)

Topkat
09-24-2012, 10:40 PM
I told you John was a sweet guy, How many huge stars Tweet fans?? I didn't even think he would READ it, let alone Tweet me back! I was pretty shocked.

As for Don, well his secret is out, he texts, but don't count on seeing any tweets from him... I still doubt that's ever gonna happen!:)

WalshFan88
09-25-2012, 03:00 AM
As for Don, well his secret is out, he texts, but don't count on seeing any tweets from him... I still doubt that's ever gonna happen!:)

What? You didn't hear the news?! Don is a big time social networker now and is loving posting to his Facebook and Twitter and letting everyone know what he's up to. :)

:lie: :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

WalshFan88
09-25-2012, 05:55 AM
I was listening to a Peter Stroud interview he did on radio yesterday morning and it sounds like there is a Don show he's playing at in a couple of weeks. Didn't say when, where, etc just that it was in a couple of weeks. He's been my favorite player in Don's band along with Steuart Smith.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-25-2012, 06:19 AM
Love Steuart Smith...
such a class gentelman and a talented guitar player.
He was so kind to JAhh and I when we met him

tt

StephUK
09-25-2012, 05:22 PM
I was listening to a Peter Stroud interview he did on radio yesterday morning and it sounds like there is a Don show he's playing at in a couple of weeks. Didn't say when, where, etc just that it was in a couple of weeks. He's been my favorite player in Don's band along with Steuart Smith.

I'm surprised to hear that Peter Stroud is to play in Don's band again - he hasn't been in the band for some years now. For the last couple of years Don has had Steuart and Peter Thorn, and before that it was Steuart and Frank Symes. Can anyone remember exactly when Peter Stroud last played in Don's band?

WalshFan88
09-25-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm surprised to hear that Peter Stroud is to play in Don's band again - he hasn't been in the band for some years now. For the last couple of years Don has had Steuart and Peter Thorn, and before that it was Steuart and Frank Symes. Can anyone remember exactly when Peter Stroud last played in Don's band?

He's Don's first-call sub. He fills in for Stu nowadays. He hasn't played full time in the band since Inside Job. That said, for guitar reasons I prefer Stroud to Thorn but that's just me but it sounds like this gig will be both Stroud and Thorn. I just think Stroud is a bit more.....melodic as far as being more classic and old school. Thorn is known for being more of a modern-styled player and an EVH type player. But I do think he's a great player. I just prefer the more vintage rock sound and playing of Stroud. Also Stroud just seems to be a touch more friendly and "average guy".

sodascouts
09-25-2012, 09:29 PM
I'm intrigued. Maybe it's a private gig?

WalshFan88
09-26-2012, 07:15 AM
I'm intrigued. Maybe it's a private gig?

Probably so...

sodascouts
09-26-2012, 02:23 PM
If Don updated his official site, we wouldn't have to guess! Thank goodness for Google alerts and people like VA who are on the ball about catching show announcements.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Even if the private ones only get found a day ahead of time when someone tweets about the load-in!

Tiffanny Twisted
09-26-2012, 06:24 PM
three cheers for VA!!!!

she keeps us in the loop.

THANK YOU:)

VAisForEagleLovers
10-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Don played at a wedding last night in Vegas. Have seen several tweets about this so far this morning. No one has mentioned Who the happy bride and groom are yet.

Tiffanny Twisted
10-06-2012, 10:08 AM
YOu are too funny:hilarious:
Dh a wedding singer??

wonder who the bride and groom were??

VAisForEagleLovers
10-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Don was made a Songwriting Hero by Songwriter's magazine today. I'm not sure what that really means, but since we need some action on this thread, I thought I'd post it.

http://www.songwritingmagazine.co.uk/don-henley/

zeldabjr
10-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Don was made a Songwriting Hero by Songwriter's magazine today. I'm not sure what that really means, but since we need some action on this thread, I thought I'd post it.

http://www.songwritingmagazine.co.uk/don-henley/

Don has always been our songwriting hero!!!....Is their next hero going to be someone with the initials GF?...should be!

Freypower
10-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Don has always been our songwriting hero!!!....Is their next hero going to be someone with the initials GF?...should be!

Yes, it should be, but it never is. I wasn't going to comment on this because I suppose it is obvious to those of us who love the Eagles that Don is part of a songwriting TEAM, and too often the other half of that team is overlooked. Not only that; in Don's solo career he also had collaborators.

In any case when I tried to view it the screen was blank.

EaglesKiwi
10-10-2012, 04:12 AM
I couldn't view it either. Hopefully it was nice!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-10-2012, 09:24 AM
It was a very basic biography of Don and all things we all already know.

It could be that the other half of his songwriting teams were 'heroes' on other days and it got missed by us. Since it's a 'hero' day, they can only select one, not a team. I agree that the other half of Don's songwriting teams often get overlooked and that annoys me to no end. However, it doesn't take away from the fact that Don deserves any and all kudos he gets on the topic. The other halves of his teams would be the first to tell you that.

Tiffanny Twisted
10-10-2012, 09:42 AM
I agree with VA

sodascouts
10-10-2012, 12:45 PM
At least Glenn got a mention. Danny Kortchmar was completely ignored.

Not to take away from Don's contributions, of course, but it would have been nice for Danny to get some sort of acknowledgement in the write-up.

Troubadour
10-10-2012, 03:50 PM
I'd never ignore him. :heybaby:

Well done to Don. Always nice to see our guys getting a special mention, even if there were some omissions in this piece!

Tiffanny Twisted
10-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Hey I guess as long as they spell your name correctly its ok with them

VAisForEagleLovers
10-13-2012, 12:05 AM
A very short but nice blurb...

http://top5000-rocketman5000.blogspot.com/2012/10/discography-don-henley.html

VAisForEagleLovers
10-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Warning...political nonsense in this article. But it appears to me that the Wall Street Journal's interpretation of 'Fair Use' equates to 'liberal use'. Especially as there is NOTHING in the Ezra Klein column that would make any sane person think of 'Johnny Can't Read'. Really, someone had to go to a great amount of work to make the connection, and then to beef up the article and make it something one might read past the second paragraph, they inserted the lyrics of Don's song. It would be too much to hope that Don gets his dander up and goes after them.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204712904578090670287083076.html?m od=WSJ_article_comments#articleTabs%3Darticle

EaglesKiwi
11-03-2012, 05:48 AM
Hmm, well, I didn't bother to read past about 4 paragraphs. I will be glad when the election is over - politics can be really ugly even when viewed from the other side of the world.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Teeny tiny mention of Don in an interview with Lois Chiles. Until he announces something, like an album release date, we'll take what we can get.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/07/lois-chiles-talks-about-being-a-bond-girl/

VAisForEagleLovers
11-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Don signed a petition regarding Pandora radio and royalties.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-pandora-congress-irfa-musicians-letter-protest-20121114,0,775927.story

Prettymaid
11-14-2012, 08:34 PM
I see Jackson and Stevie are on that list too.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Am I reading this wrong? According to this, Don performed at the Lincoln Center in NYC last night. He was in two places at the same time?

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/172318-Great-Performances-Special-With-Julie-Andrews-Audra-McDonald-David-Hyde-Pierce-and-More-Will-Air-in-2013

zeldabjr
11-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Am I reading this wrong? According to this, Don performed at the Lincoln Center in NYC last night. He was in two places at the same time?

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/172318-Great-Performances-Special-With-Julie-Andrews-Audra-McDonald-David-Hyde-Pierce-and-More-Will-Air-in-2013

I knew he was good but I didn't know he was THAT good!

Witchy Woman
11-16-2012, 11:25 PM

It's possible, especially since they only performed for an hour and he probably only did one song for the Great Performances special. He could have left right after the Beacon show and went there, or vice versa.

Topkat
11-17-2012, 09:03 AM
He must have done it either before or after the NYU show. Lincoln Center is not that far from the Beacon Theater, so it's possible he did both shows....
Don's a busy guy!

Houston Debutante
11-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Does anyone know why he was there? Has he been on Great Performances in the past? I wonder how much air time he will get.

11-18-2012, 03:01 PM
HD - The article that was posted said he and numerous other stars were taping a PBS "Great Performances" special celebrating the series' 40th anniversary. I guess Don can relate to the 40th anniversary thing. :thumbsup:

sodascouts
11-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Maybe a duet with Julie Andrews? "It's a jolly holiday with you, Don"! ;)

EaglesKiwi
11-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Maybe a duet with Julie Andrews? "It's a jolly holiday with you, Don"! ;)
:hilarious: I can just imagine!

VAisForEagleLovers
11-20-2012, 03:32 PM
At the Reno show, he said it would be out this fall. Technically, that gives him until Dec. 19. Seems like if it were going to be released by then, it would have been announced by now.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-26-2012, 09:35 PM
A nice blog post about Don's conservation activities.

http://finetuningblog.wordpress.com/2012/11/25/green-note-of-the-week-don-henley-november-25-2012/

zeldabjr
11-26-2012, 10:37 PM
oh I love you Mr. Henley!

Tiffanny Twisted
11-26-2012, 11:18 PM
wow mr henley...way to go..
great job and thanks for posting:computer:

sodascouts
11-27-2012, 02:24 AM
It's always nice to see Don recognized!

Houston Debutante
11-27-2012, 04:00 PM
I admire his conservation efforts and I agree that it's nice to see him given credit for it.

Prettymaid
11-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Nice write up! I wonder who his early 70's peers who sparked his interest are? ;-)

VAisForEagleLovers
01-02-2013, 11:19 PM
In an exchange of Facebook messages with the owner of the Bethlehem Sands Event Center (where Glenn played this past May), he said they were working on getting Don to play there and to 'stay tuned'. For what that's worth, which is probably nothing in terms of anything being announced soon.

Topkat
01-28-2013, 10:46 PM
Here's an interview with Don about his upcoming show at the Revel.
Says Bernie may appear on the History of the Eagles tour.

http://www.atlanticcityinsiders.com/headliners/don-henley-takes-over-revel-friday/article_4ad672be-6721-11e2-b9fa-001a4bcf887a.html

Freypower
01-28-2013, 11:24 PM
The article also says his new album is coming out in May.

He says Bernie is the only former member being considered.

Topkat
01-28-2013, 11:50 PM
The article also says his new album is coming out in May.

He says Bernie is the only former member being considered.

Well, May sounds Okay to me, at least we have some idea of when it will come out. I was beginning to give up on that album, thinking it may not even happen!

Troubadour
01-29-2013, 01:54 PM
So exciting! As I just said in the other thread, it will make a great birthday present to myself. ;) Awesome to have confirmation that Bernie might be involved in the tour, too.

Brooke
01-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Great to hear from Don about this, finally! :applause:

01-29-2013, 11:03 PM
:yay: :yay: :yay:

Topkat
01-30-2013, 09:09 AM
New Radio Interview with Don

http://www.wmgk.com/shows/andre-gardner/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10495316

Topkat
01-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Really great long interview. Just finished listening to it. He talks about the tour, the dvd, his new album which is called "Cass County" & it is country, or alt country.
He also says he is working on a book, but it will be a few years until it's out.

TimothyBFan
01-30-2013, 09:51 AM
TK -- VA posted this last night as it was going on in the Press on New Album thread. Whole discussion there if you want to hop over there also and join.

Topkat
01-30-2013, 09:54 AM
TK -- VA posted this last night as it was going on in the Press on New Album thread. Whole discussion there if you want to hop over there also and join.

OK, great, I just saw it this am on FB, & put in here because the interview covered a lot of topics! I didn't see it in the other thread. Thanks:thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
03-13-2013, 01:04 PM
I was following some links and ended up on a forum for drummers. There were a lot of nice comments about the documentary, but there was also this comment. Since it came from someone who is a drummer himself, I especially thought it was nice.

There are many drummers considered a "drummers' drummer" renowned for their virtuosity, technical skills, and showmanship. I like to think that there is another category - a Great Musician who uses a drumset to make beautiful music. Drummers in this second category are often overlooked in favor of "the fastest, most blazing, cutting edge" players. This is understandable, for we idolize those whose solo virtuosity entertains us while advancing the art. However, rare indeed are musicians like Don Henley, Ringo Starr, Ole Brunkert, Levon Helm, et al, whose musicianship is expressed in phrasing, beats, dynamic range, accents, rolls, fills and pauses, as part of a perfect and impeccable musical whole. Their body of recorded work stands timeless, their style of playing so deceptively simple as to be virtually inimitable.

zeldabjr
03-13-2013, 02:08 PM
I love hearing other people recognizing his talent!!!

Brooke
03-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Ah, a very nice sentiment!

Houston Debutante
03-15-2013, 01:27 PM
I think it's dead-on.

Thirsty&Hot
03-16-2013, 11:39 AM
yeah I've always thought Don was extremely talented since I was a little girl. I remember thinking how amazing it was that he could play the drums AND sing lead when I heard/saw Hotel California on MTV/VH1. I had played around with drums a little in music class and there's so much coordination needed!
And Levon Helm was another one, but I actually knew about Don first.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-23-2013, 10:54 PM
Last week Don attended a sold-out Zombies show in Dallas.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/don/zombies_zps4ef00c6b.jpg

Troubadour
03-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Very cool!

03-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Yep - I bet the Zombies thought so too! :wink:

sodascouts
03-24-2013, 03:59 PM
How awesome would that be to have Don Henley show up at your gig? Cool indeed!

Tiffanny Twisted
03-24-2013, 06:25 PM
nice picture and so cool that he was at their show:headbang:

Houston Debutante
03-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Don dressed well for that, he's looking good.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Very good interview with Don about the documentary and his upcoming solo album.

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/2013/04/28/eagles-don-henley-talks-about-life-in-an-iconic-american-band-in-a-candid-interview-with-the-free-press

Brooke
04-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Great to hear news about his new album! And "new original material"! :yay:

Thanks again VA!

Houston Debutante
04-29-2013, 05:21 PM
So exciting!!!

Outlawman13
04-29-2013, 06:50 PM
So amazing and very exciting!!!! Thank you very much VA!!!!

Thirsty&Hot
04-29-2013, 07:17 PM
So amazing and very exciting!!!! Thank you very much VA!!!!

just noticed you're now stuck on the border! I haven't been around, so I missed that!
Congrats!!! You've been a busy girl on here!

Outlawman13
04-29-2013, 07:36 PM
LOL that is quite alright Tiffany. Yeah I love this website and sometimes I forget how much I actually posted on here. Geez two months and have way too many posts. LOL. You guys are pretty much the only people who I can talk to about the Eagles (well besides my family of course).

EaglesKiwi
04-30-2013, 04:26 PM
That was a great interview, thanks for posting, VA!

Quote from the interview: "I’m not interested in penning a slimy tell-all. That’s already been done."
Succinct. And accurate.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-30-2013, 04:27 PM
That was a great interview, thanks for posting, VA!

Quote from the interview: "I’m not interested in penning a slimy tell-all. That’s already been done."
Succinct. And accurate.

Very.

Houston Debutante
04-30-2013, 04:30 PM
No tell all.... But a serious biography would be fascinating.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Something he can do in his 80's or 90's. Until then, he can just keep on doing what he's doing.

Tiffanny Twisted
05-01-2013, 06:56 PM
heard on wmgk today Debbie calton talking about " cass county" and don henley after she opened her show playing Hotel california
It was so cool to hear that song(my favorite ) and all about DOn
hubba hubba dh:thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Mike Scheuchzer from the Christian band MercyMe tweeted this a little while ago, I have no idea why. I follow all the band members of MercyMe on Twitter since they are probably my favorite band behind the Eagles, so when I saw this I had to blink a few times.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/don/mercymetweet_zpse9fb25b1.jpg

Tori
05-10-2013, 05:01 PM
I know I'm aware of how good Don Henley is! ;-)

Houston Debutante
05-10-2013, 06:16 PM
I've heard of MercyMe, they have good taste. ;)

VAisForEagleLovers
05-18-2013, 11:18 AM
A little bit from Joe Benson's The Question Is from earlier this week.

https://soundcloud.com/uncle-joe-benson/the-question-is-don-henley-05

sodascouts
05-22-2013, 01:45 AM
This contains a cute story about how singer Jana Anderson wound up backing Don Henley and appearing on Inside Job. She also talks about Don's intense work ethic. This is all in the first eight minutes if you don't want to listen to the whole thing, as she talks about a lot of different topics and of course the main focus is her own music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXBPzV455E

Houston Debutante
05-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Thanks for that. Interesting that she got hired just on the recommendation of his tour manager and a package without even meeting Don - is that the guy named Tony Taibi or is he more of a 'personal assistant' type?

Freypower
05-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Thanks for that. Interesting that she got hired just on the recommendation of his tour manager and a package without even meeting Don - is that the guy named Tony Taibi or is he more of a 'personal assistant' type?

He is both, the same as Tommy Nixon is for Glenn & Smokey Wendell is for Joe.

Houston Debutante
05-23-2013, 03:18 PM
I see ~ thanks for the information.

Troubadour
05-31-2013, 01:06 PM
Very good interview with Don about the documentary and his upcoming solo album.

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/2013/04/28/eagles-don-henley-talks-about-life-in-an-iconic-american-band-in-a-candid-interview-with-the-free-press

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get to this, but I actually feel quite emotional after reading that! I love how open Don was, particularly about the way he feels now about himself as opposed to the way he felt in the '70s. It was fascinating to hear him addressing himself as a young man. The bit where he says he's pretty hard on his '70s self but also admires some of his practical qualities was really cute. Also, the part where he spoke about his '70s self being a long way from home and a little scared really backed up what we saw in the documentary. Makes me want to give him a big hug!

sad-cafe
05-31-2013, 03:12 PM
that as awesome

thank you

Houston Debutante
06-05-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get to this, but I actually feel quite emotional after reading that! I love how open Don was, particularly about the way he feels now about himself as opposed to the way he felt in the '70s. It was fascinating to hear him addressing himself as a young man. The bit where he says he's pretty hard on his '70s self but also admires some of his practical qualities was really cute. Also, the part where he spoke about his '70s self being a long way from home and a little scared really backed up what we saw in the documentary. Makes me want to give him a big hug!

He is just so sweet and vulnerable there, isn't he?

AEW21
07-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Put this in the General Eagles press thread, too, but thought would link to Don's interview with Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel here, too. (http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/festivals/don-henley-of-the-eagles-hints-at-the-end-of-an-era-b9945167z1-214213911.html?ipad=y) Intriguing because he says Mick Jagger? Lord, there's seemingly a cast of thousands backing him on this album. I really get the feeling like it could be a pretty dig deal when it rolls out...

Troubadour
07-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Thanks for that, AEW. The response to the Felder question pretty much said it all. It's very cool that Mick Jagger has provided some vocals for Don's new album! I really can't wait to hear it. Oh, and I am still laughing about Don calling Kid Rock "Mr. Rock". :lol:

Tiffanny Twisted
07-05-2013, 10:09 PM
thanks for posting.....live the amm
nswers to these question

Houston Debutante
07-08-2013, 03:18 PM
I love Don's snark. Terrific interview, thanks for posting it.

secret squirrel
09-18-2013, 12:28 PM
A couple of Don-centric pieces:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/US-Savings-Bonds/Savings-Bond-Calculator/prweb11109980.htm

http://www.wmmr.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=2041478

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/schmitten-part-two-sweet-talking-guy_25.html

UndertheWire
10-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Here's a small part of an article on singing drummers:

Still, other singing drummers have thrived for long periods, as Don Henley did with The Eagles. While keeping time for the country-rock giants, he shared vocals with Glenn Frey, providing the lead line on some of the band's best-known numbers, among them “Hotel California”, “Desperado” and “Life in the Fast Lane”. Moreover, he made the combination of percussion and vocals look effortless, aided somewhat by a frill-free drumming style that he admits was inspired by Starr.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/hihats-off-to-the-drummers-who-sing-8901714.html

Houston Debutante
10-31-2013, 04:03 PM
He was influenced by Ringo Starr?? I didn't know that. I never thought Starr was much of a drummer but I guess since he's a Beatle he's going to be a focus for people like Don.

Cool, thanks for posting that.

shunlvswx
12-30-2013, 11:06 PM
I was looking on Yahoo and there was an article on Best 10 Moments from last night's show. Don is mention twice at no. 9 and no. 1.

http://music.yahoo.com/news/10-best-...ing-stone.html (http://music.yahoo.com/news/10-best-moments-2013-kennedy-center-honors-164021636-rolling-stone.html)

Houston Debutante
01-04-2014, 03:53 PM
That's nice that he's mentioned but there's not much more than mentions. In number 9 he's just listed as one of the people who sang before Garth Brooks ~ Garth Brooks is the highlight in their minds I guess ~ unbelievable that Garth Brooks gets more attention from them than Don does. Then in number 1 it just lists him as being one of the people who joined Rufus Wainwright onstage. Wainwright is called 'elegant' but nothing said about Don.

As usual Rolling Stone blows it.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-05-2014, 11:25 PM
True, but WE know he did a fantastic job, and so do normal people (not RS) who watched it.

secret squirrel
01-16-2014, 02:36 PM
Not sure where to post this but it's an interview with Don that covers his album, the tour and the digital era.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-don-henley-qa-20140115,0,5745299.story?track=rss#axzz2qaVDuuYO

Apologies if it's been posted elsewhere.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/

secret squirrel
01-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Not sure where to post this but it's an interview with Don that covers his album, the tour and the digital era.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-don-henley-qa-20140115,0,5745299.story?track=rss#axzz2qaVDuuYO

Apologies if it's been posted elsewhere.

SS
xx

Saw this had been posted on another thread but for the life of me, I can't find it now as I wanted to add my impressions so will do it here.

Sad to hear that there will be no new Eagles songs.

Gotta say I love the way Don expresses himself – he’s always so articulate and to the point, e.g. ‘The genie is so far out of the bottle that there's really no putting it back in.’

'''They spread the money and the propaganda around like manna, employing their favorite buzz words like "innovation."'

He’s so right about buzz words. These occur in every field. Community, education, society. And stupid people grab onto them immediately and won't let go till the next one comes around. Where I live is it’s been ‘Partnership’, ‘Initiative’, ‘Strategy’. Check out this blurb from my local council. They’ve got some new ones but some remain the same. Do you suppose it’s whatever nonsense is trending on Twitter?

‘The Council prides itself on being innovative when it comes to making life better in the borough. From this section we provide reports on initiatives that we are particularly proud of and want to share with you. These link to the long-term vision of 'Bexley Together' - Bexley's sustainable community strategy. The strategy sets out a vision to build a strong, sustainable and cohesive community.’

SS
xx

Freypower
01-17-2014, 05:00 PM
Saw this had been posted on another thread but for the life of me, I can't find it now as I wanted to add my impressions so will do it here.

Sad to hear that there will be no new Eagles songs.

Gotta say I love the way Don expresses himself – he’s always so articulate and to the point, e.g. ‘The genie is so far out of the bottle that there's really no putting it back in.’

'''They spread the money and the propaganda around like manna, employing their favorite buzz words like "innovation."'

He’s so right about buzz words. These occur in every field. Community, education, society. And stupid people grab onto them immediately and won't let go till the next one comes around. Where I live is it’s been ‘Partnership’, ‘Initiative’, ‘Strategy’. Check out this blurb from my local council. They’ve got some new ones but some remain the same. Do you suppose it’s whatever nonsense is trending on Twitter?

‘The Council prides itself on being innovative when it comes to making life better in the borough. From this section we provide reports on initiatives that we are particularly proud of and want to share with you. These link to the long-term vision of 'Bexley Together' - Bexley's sustainable community strategy. The strategy sets out a vision to build a strong, sustainable and cohesive community.’

SS
xx

It was posted in the Press About Don Henley's New Album topic.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3056&page=32

secret squirrel
01-20-2014, 01:11 PM
It was posted in the Press About Don Henley's New Album topic.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3056&page=32

And also in Eagles Press (another obvious place) which was where I saw it - found it again today. Mea culpa.

SS
xx

sodascouts
01-20-2014, 10:27 PM
I know it's hard to keep straight! I've been trying to do a little re-organizing but even that leads to confusion, lol.

sodascouts
01-20-2014, 11:16 PM
So, we're talking about his comments about his new album in that album thread and his comments about the Eagles and the Forum elsewhere, but there is one thing in this article that's uniquely Don and that I feel should be talked about right here.

I quote:

As far as the record business goes, have you read Jaron Lanier's book "Who Owns the Future" and, if so, what do you think of his proposals for bringing fairness/equity to the digital age? Who do you see out there who's working with the digital distribution of music in ways that reward rather than exploit musicians and their music?
I haven't read it but I read his previous one and I really like how his thinking has evolved, particularly as it pertains to the techno-utopians and the damage they've done to our culture, including the arts — specifically music and film and the people who work in those fields. In the technocratic world of Google (which owns YouTube), my musical brethren and I are no longer artists; we're not creators — we are merely "content providers." Copyright and intellectual property mean nothing to the technocracy. They've built multi-billion-dollar, global empires on the backs of creative, working people who are uncompensated. They're wrecking entire industries.

The genie is so far out of the bottle that there's really no putting it back in. There might be a legislative fix, but there seems to be no political will. Google alone has about a dozen lobbyists on Capitol Hill. Google spent over $11 million last year on lobbying and over $18 million the previous year. They spread the money and the propaganda around like manna, employing their favorite buzz words like "innovation." Regulation, they say, will "stifle innovation," and the legislators all nod in agreement. It's an oligarchy, plain and simple. The arts and entertainment industry can't compete with that.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-don-henley-qa-20140115,0,5745299.story#ixzz2qzqAB8KA

I've read quite a bit on this issue, and Don Henley's feelings about YouTube and Google as well as his skepticism about the viability of new business models for the music industry in the digital age are not new to me.

However, his statement about lobbying caught my eye. It's amazing to me how everyone always thinks the other side are the ones with the political influence and the lobbyists. I guess it's just human nature to always think of your guys as the noble underdogs, and the opposition as the ones with all the corruption. I see it all the time in debate.

Interestingly, though, the RIAA and MPAA (entertainment industry groups) have outspent Google, and one of their heads was very open about his understanding of how money should talk in Washington DC. Chris Dodd, head of the MPAA, had this to say to politicians to whom he had donated money, but who weren't voting the way he'd told them to vote on IP legislation such as SOPA:
"Candidly, those who count on quote ‘Hollywood’ for support need to understand that this industry is watching very carefully who’s going to stand up for them when their job is at stake. Don’t ask me to write a check for you when you think your job is at risk and then don’t pay any attention to me when my job is at stake."
Source: http://www.salon.com/2012/01/23/dodd_accused_of_bribery_over_sopa_remarks/

So a corporate head donates to campaigns not because he believes in what the politician stands for, but because he expects his money to motivate the politician to act in his financial interest when his "job is at stake." It's not surprising but it's still troubling, and his outrage that they didn't obey his wishes after he gave them money shows that he truly believes that's how politics are supposed to work.

I wonder if Henley knows that the amount the RIAA has spent on lobbying in 2000-2010 is $90 million? (source (http://www.ip-watch.org/2011/01/06/special-report-music-industrys-lavish-lobby-campaign-for-digital-rights/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)) That doesn't even count the efforts of the MPAA, nor does it include the amount spent since then, which I didn't have the time and energy to search for, lol.

Now, I truly think Don sincerely believes what he says. He's an honest guy; he's not trying to pull anything. However, these corporate entities are ALL corrupt, in my mind - the RIAA, the MPAA, and Google. I do not believe Google is an innocent bunch of folks only looking to serve the public interest - far from it. I am highly suspicious of their data mining processes, and I am disturbed by their monopolistic consolidation of web services with forced linkage between accounts in order to facilitate their intrusive practices. That of course is separate from the IP issue, but I add it to show I realize that Google is not a victim.

When it comes to spending lobbying money, however, the entertainment industry outpaces them with ease.

secret squirrel
02-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Here’s an article that is critical of Don’s stance.

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2014/02/09/why-okkervil-river-should-hate-the-fucking-eagles-man/

Personally, I’m in two minds about all of this. I agree with Don that the genie is out of the bottle and we can't put it back in. But as far as sites like YouTube go, they’ve enabled me to check out songs prior to buying a cd and/or going to a gig. I listen to tracks while I’m working and if I like them, I eventually purchase something (e.g. I’ve bought a Citizen Cope album and been to two gigs, bought Expando by TBS, Live in London by Kane). Without the internet, I wouldn’t have had a chance to explore any of this music.

However, in regard to this particular case, I think any artist is within their rights to veto a version of their song that they don’t endorse. In fact, when I hear the frankly terrible versions of glorious songs used in adverts (some of which I mention in my latest blog), I wish that more artists would exercise these rights or do what Ray Davies does – allow them to use the original.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/christian-kane-covered-in-glory.html

VAisForEagleLovers
02-09-2014, 01:59 PM
I can easily see both points of view. While some go out to YouTube (or wherever) to determine if they like the music and then buy it, there are fa,r far too many who do not buy music at all because they can listen for free on the internet. This was the advice I got last December: "You create an account on YouTube and have your own channel. Put the music there you want to hear. You listen to it or view it anywhere, since you have a smartphone. Why would you still buy MP3s?" I hesitated to mention that I still buy CDs. At any rate, it's not much different than the old days when I would borrow someone's cassette, vinyl, or CD to see if I wanted to buy certain music.

I've stated my stance on this many times, I don't feel the need to do it again, but I will say this. Even kids as young as 15 have lamented to me about how there's no real music out there any more, there's not a lot that's new that's worth listening to. It could be a coincidence. Most of it, I'm sure, is the wider variety of music types than from when I was a kid, but I remember having to make agonizing choices in the early 80's on which new music I could afford that month. Now it's all free and there's not a lot to pick from.

Anyway, it's Don's music and he can do with it as he pleases. If these guys don't like it, they are free to make their own music and make it available to anyone to use. Don takes a lot of heat on his stance, but most of the more heated responses comes from the very people who are trying to use his music for free, so they lack credibility in Don's eyes, I assume. I know they lack it in mine.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-09-2014, 02:13 PM
Soda, I'm not sure how I missed your post above. I agree with you about the lobbying on both sides, and as much as I love Google and would go to work for them in a minute, I agree they aren't a victim and they aren't innocent. I will say that in my job, we have a site that has a YouTube channel and it hosts many videos that we've made (we are the content providers and own the copyrights). We push them via various social media outlets. To host these at a video hosting site would cost tens of thousands per month. Google lets us put them on their site for free. I can't say that it saves taxpayers a lot of money, because if we had to pay for this, it wouldn't get done at all.

Anything or anyone who helps us help our Active Duty Soldiers has my support. I think what Don is looking for is copyright protection and stricter enforcement, and not for the various entities to go away entirely. At least I hope that's correct.

secret squirrel
02-10-2014, 12:22 PM
I can easily see both points of view. While some go out to YouTube (or wherever) to determine if they like the music and then buy it, there are fa,r far too many who do not buy music at all because they can listen for free on the internet. This was the advice I got last December: "You create an account on YouTube and have your own channel. Put the music there you want to hear. You listen to it or view it anywhere, since you have a smartphone. Why would you still buy MP3s?" I hesitated to mention that I still buy CDs. At any rate, it's not much different than the old days when I would borrow someone's cassette, vinyl, or CD to see if I wanted to buy certain music.

Yes. I'm probably a bit atypical as I have an MP3 player (a gift) but haven't figured out how to use it yet and I don't have a smartphone, tablet, laptop, iPod or anything like that. I don't download at all.

SS
xx
Unreconstructed Luddite

WalshFan88
02-10-2014, 07:23 PM
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-henley-okkervil-river/

Henley's at it again! Remember the Frank Ocean debacle? This is about a indie band covering "The End Of The Innocence" and putting it out for free.

Don, I love your vocals and you are probably my favorite singer but I can't stand your ego and personality! Seriously. Between YouTube, covers, and just general ego (remember the paparazzi "bird" photo?). Don is a very polarizing figure for sure. For speaking out against lawyers (Get Over It), he sure uses them a lot! I'm not saying this band was right but Don is over the top with the legal stuff, IMHO.

02-10-2014, 11:21 PM
With regard to the lobbying, I agree that it happens on both sides. To me, bottom line on this is that we need laws with stricter controls on lobbyist.

And with regard to copyright, I also see both sides of the issues. However, the bottom line on this is that I believe a song is the intellectual property of the copyright owner and they have the right to control it's use. I don't see it as any different as my vehicle is my personal property and I have the right to decide if I want you to drive away with it.

Witchy Woman
02-10-2014, 11:55 PM

Henley's at it again! Remember the Frank Ocean debacle? This is about a indie band covering "The End Of The Innocence" and putting it out for free.

Don, I love your vocals and you are probably my favorite singer but I can't stand your ego and personality! Seriously. Between YouTube, covers, and just general ego (remember the paparazzi "bird" photo?). Don is a very polarizing figure for sure. For speaking out against lawyers (Get Over It), he sure uses them a lot! I'm not saying this band was right but Don is over the top with the legal stuff, IMHO.

Maybe if they actually asked Don if they could use his music he might be more receptive. I would think most people in the industry are aware of his feelings about these matters, and would respond accordingly.

MaryCalifornia
02-11-2014, 12:30 AM
I just don't understand why someone thinks it's OK to take another's song and record it and put it out as part of an album without getting permission. It's Don Henley's song. Just because you "liked" it when you were growing up doesn't mean you can do whatever you want with it. These are professional musicians, who cares if they're "indie." Who cares if they put it out for free - you're telling me there is no ulterior financial motivation behind their business model? Who doesn't reach out and ask for permission? I think Don is 100% in the right in this particular case. Actually, the perpetrators come across as jerks.

WalshFan88
02-11-2014, 12:30 AM
I just think Don is way too overbearing with this stuff. YouTube is another example. Most bands don't have a problem with it. I mean come on, a cell phone video is going to make someone feel like they don't need to come to your show because they've already seen it? No way. I can understand not wanting studio recordings on there, that's different. Or perhaps video from professionally recorded shows. And lets be honest - I don't think Don needs any more money - from videos or concert tickets. :hilarious:

Again, I said I didn't necessarily agree with the band, but I do agree that Don has a tendency to be a stick in the mud and also a bit of a jerk at times. I think he is too quick to threaten lawsuits and his hatred of social media and YouTube make him come across like someone who is stuck in the past.

MaryCalifornia
02-11-2014, 12:49 AM
Well, from what I can tell from Don's end in this particular case, all that happened was that his lawyers sent a cease and desist letter. This is the least aggressive/litigious path and is entirely appropriate. It is the first little "baby step" in getting an issue resolved, and is used to start a discussion or negotiation. It is a "Hey, what's going on here?" communication. This is the type of standard legal correspondence I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Don Henley personally knew nothing about. I'm sure he does now, though!

My take on Henley's stance re: youtube and everything else is that he is raising awareness. I don't agree with everything that PETA does, but I thank God that someone is out there on the fringes aggressively trying to get legislation in place to protect animals and make us a civilized society. I'm thankful Don is out there, even if he is the ONLY one, trying to make a point about creative artists and their rights. He is doing the right thing, and he doesn't care what people think of him, because he's earned it. I hope his legacy is that he stood up for artists' rights, and that they're thankful to him.

secret squirrel
02-11-2014, 11:33 AM
I just don't understand why someone thinks it's OK to take another's song and record it and put it out as part of an album without getting permission. It's Don Henley's song. Just because you "liked" it when you were growing up doesn't mean you can do whatever you want with it. These are professional musicians, who cares if they're "indie." Who cares if they put it out for free - you're telling me there is no ulterior financial motivation behind their business model? Who doesn't reach out and ask for permission? I think Don is 100% in the right in this particular case. Actually, the perpetrators come across as jerks.

Agree with you here. If they don't ask for permission (and get it) then they should expect some reaction. It's not like they don't know that Don Henley wrote it. And they do come across as pretty objectionable.

SS
xx

Houston Debutante
02-11-2014, 06:25 PM
There are people hating on Don all over the internet because of this and I'm glad to see some people stick up for him.

It's his song, if you ask me those people are lucky he just sent them a Cease And Desist and didn't sue them.

In that article they sound like entitled whiny douchebags to me. Oh yeah they're happy to give away covers of Don's music but when you go to their site you see that you have to PAY for THEIR original music. If they're so generous why don't they give their OWN music away instead of giving away DON'S!

The answer is easy ~ they give away covers of GOOD music like Don's to promote themselves, so you check out their albums, which you PAY for. That means indirectly they're making money off of him, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. So they make money off him but they can't be bothered to pay Don for his music or even ask him. I call that a 'dick move.'

Don, I love your vocals and you are probably my favorite singer but I can't stand your ego and personality!

Don has a tendency to be a stick in the mud and also a bit of a jerk at times. WalshFan88, why don't you try to find a way to talk about your 'favorite singer' without personally attacking him. There's a difference between disagreeing with what he says and calling him a 'jerk.'

Even I think Don's attitude about YouTube and Google can sometimes be OTT but in this case, these people WERE making money off of him indirectly, even if they don't want to admit it and want to make it all his fault.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-11-2014, 11:44 PM
I wish I took the time and effort to be as passionate about the things I believe in as Don is. I agree with him being OTT sometimes, and I don't always agree with how he goes about it, but I do appreciate his stance. I don't think it's egotistical to stand up for what you believe in, and I don't think it's an ego problem to want others to respect your property. I do disagree with his statements to the effect that the big companies like Google have too much lobbying interests, as others have said, no one has ever been able to top the entertainment industry. Don's problem is that some in his own industry embrace YouTube, others have just given in instead of fighting it. The ones with the real money in the business (not the artists) merely see it as another way to make money for themselves.

At any rate, I totally agree with the 'whiny, entitled' attitude assesment that someone mentioned, of the ones who used the music. Regardless of how you feel about the issue, the sense that people are entitled to something just because they want it and technology makes it possible is not doing anyone any good. I guess when you raise generations of children who think everyone gets a trophy instead of just those who actually win, this is the mentality you're left with. That attitude is in the current workforce, hence the horrible last two days I've had, but that's a topic for a different thread.

Islander canuck
02-17-2014, 03:47 AM

Even though both Okkervil River and Frank Ocean put the materials out for free they very likely would have inderectly prfited from them. Sites like YouTube have created confusion between public availavility and public domain. Public domain means copyright on a given creativc work has expired and the work can used by anyone however they chose without permition from the copyright holder http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain.

ETA: Also if they did not provide niotice of intent within 30 days of producing and prior to the release of the material and/or pay a roualty they could have been sued for copyright infringment http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statutory_license.

Houston Debutante
02-17-2014, 04:44 PM
They never said they thought it was in the public domain, I bet they don't even know what 'public domain' is, they don't seem too smart. They just thought Don Henley wouldn't care. They found out different!

Islander canuck
02-17-2014, 05:19 PM
True however since they may have inderectly profited from their cover they would been violating copyright if they did not gain Don's permition before releasing it. Copyright law gives the copyright holder the exclusive right to profit from their work unless they permit others to do so except in the case of statuatory licencing. With a statuatory licence they would not require permition but they have to pay a royalty and to inform Don prior to the release.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

sodascouts
02-17-2014, 11:06 PM
Yes, Don could have sued them, but I'm very glad he didn't. These are young, struggling musicians and paying such a massive fine would have probably broken them financially. At the very least it would have been a crippling setback to their careers. Thank goodness he didn't destroy them with a devastating lawsuit, but rather stopped at the C&D.

Houston Debutante
02-18-2014, 11:58 AM
I think that shows what a nice person he is at heart, people don't seem to realize that he could have broken them into little pieces, bankrupting them and pretty much destroying their lives if he wanted to, but he chose not to. They should be grateful instead of whining.