PDA

View Full Version : Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

NightMistBlue
12-29-2017, 10:31 AM
Yes! What a beautiful tribute and an awesome gift to present and future Angelenos (and folks like me who just love to visit).

Another article about it:

https://www.dailynews.com/2017/12/26/eagles-don-henley-helps-lets-buy-a-mountain-group-preserve-17-acres-in-laurel-canyon/

Dawn
12-29-2017, 09:21 PM
Thanks NMB,enjoyed the article!

shunlvswx
12-30-2017, 08:03 PM
Here's a video from CBS This Morning that talks about . Some nice pictures shown. Stop the video at 1:50. You get to see the whole letter.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/hollywood-mountain-lion-laurel-canyon-wildlife-habitat-land-purchase/

Shailene
01-19-2018, 06:26 AM
Hi everybody! I am new this message board :) Not to talk about old news but I came across a book that was written by a former model named, Lorelei Shellist. It's called Runway Runaway. (She dated Don in the 70's). I didn't read the entire book, I only read the preview. In that, I came to find out that right after Lorelei and Don broke up, he started seeing a girl from Texas. I think this was around 1974 - 1975.
It's common knowledge among Henley fans that Don has an older daughter named Brittany who was born in 1975 (birthdate according to IMDB). This is just my own personal view; 'I' think Brittany was born from his relationship with the Texas girl (nobody knows anything about Brittany's mom and maybe that was her choice).

This is me just connecting the dots. I could be totally wrong about this and maybe it's whole different story.
Well, there's not much known about Brittany either, only that Don and Brittany came to know each other when she reached adulthood.
Also I read in a concert review that, when introducing the song 'That Old Flame,' from his Cass County album, Don said something along the lines of "the internet has a dark side and so many people claim that their children are by him and that it was only true once." (referring to Brittany I think). That statement kinda makes me sad.

What really matters in the end is that it's all behind him now and in the past. I am sure Don loves his daughter and surely Brittany loves her dad.
By the way, I only wrote this out of curiosity and because I am die-hard Henley fan. I am completely aware that he wishes to keep his personal life to himself and that's perfectly fine.
I sincerely hope that he writes his autobiography one day. Wouldn't that be great! I think it's fair to say that all of us Henley/Eagles fans around the world would love love love to read it :)
Maybe we should start writing letters encouraging him to write one.

sodascouts
01-19-2018, 06:04 PM
I would love to read an autobiography by Don Henley. He's a talented wordsmith and he has no shortage of stories to tell. The only problem is that he won't be able to keep his personal life out of it, not if he truly wants to write an effective autobiography.

An autobiography where the author refuses to open up and expose any vulnerability or heart and soul, one where he does nothing but talk about his professional achievements and leaves out the personal, is nothing more than a glorified press release.

He'll also have to include the darkness as well as the light if he wants to make it work, and I think he'll struggle with that as well. Most people do. Whitewashing the past is deadly in a book and comes off as someone trying to project a false, sanitized image of himself for the purposes of self-glorification rather than an honest picture that communicates his essence... and that's what a good autobiography should do. The reader should be able to extrapolate from it a fundamental truth about what makes Don Henley tick.

We'll see. I'm hoping for the best.

New Kid In Town
01-19-2018, 06:55 PM
I would love to read an autobiography by Don Henley. He's a talented wordsmith and he has no shortage of stories to tell. The only problem is that he won't be able to keep his personal life out of it, not if he truly wants to write an effective autobiography.

An autobiography where the author refuses to open up and expose any vulnerability or heart and soul, one where he does nothing but talk about his professional achievements and leaves out the personal, is nothing more than a glorified press release.

He'll also have to include the darkness as well as the light if he wants to make it work, and I think he'll struggle with that as well. Most people do. Whitewashing the past is deadly in a book and comes off as someone trying to project a false, sanitized image of himself for the purposes of self-glorification rather than an honest picture that communicates his essence... and that's what a good autobiography should do. The reader should be able to extrapolate from it a fundamental truth about what makes Don Henley tick.

We'll see. I'm hoping for the best.

Well said Soda, and I agree. I can never see Don writing an autobiography that deals with both the "dark and
light " sides of his life. I just can't see him discussing the events of Nov. 1980 and his dating relationship with the 16 year-old (sorry I forget her name right now it's Fri.) . Remember the shit fit he threw with Eliot after he cooperated on the re-issue of TTL. He tried his hardest to keep the book from being published and when that was unsuccessful, from selling. Also, JMHO, but how can he honestly discuss his relationship with Glenn when it has been Glenn's son who has enabled this version of the Eagles go on. I would agree that an autobiography would be really interesting but I'm just not holding my breath on it happening.

sodascouts
01-19-2018, 09:18 PM
Stevie Nicks once said she's write her autobiography when her ex-lovers were either dead or widowers, because apparently she had a lot of affairs with married men and didn't want to get them in trouble! LOL!

On the other hand, I think people whose parents were in the industry are probably aware of what went down. I don't think Felder's kids were shocked to read that their dad did groupies.

Don talking about conflicts with Glenn isn't going to horrify anyone, but it would mean that he'd have to be more honest about the complexity of what has been presented, even to a degree in HOTE, in a pretty simplistic way. I think there was a power struggle there that nobody likes to talk about. It seems to me that they danced around each other a lot, that there were frustrations, insecurities, and competitiveness they couldn't express in words but that came out in other ways. Glenn's anger at Don being late during the initial '93 get together wasn't just about Don making people wait, for instance. It was about - to him - Don saying "I'm a big enough star where I don't need to be on time." And Don promising to be on time was a concession to please Glenn but how did Don feel a bout making that concession? Was he cool with it, or did he resent it? Did he feel he had messed up, or did he think Glenn was overreacting because he was insecure and needed to reassert himself? There's so much that can be talked about with those two.

On the other hand, I can't see Don ever talking about "the incident." I don't think he's ever come to terms with what happened that night and he desperately wants to pretend it never happened. If he ever did, what it would reveal about him would be fascinating, though. How does a man deal with something like that? The horror of the moment, then the panic, the fear, the guilt, the humiliation, and finally the anger... How does it change him? What does it teach him?

He doesn't have to talk about "the incident" to give us insight into his darker side, though. He could go dark without going ALL the way. What he has to do is let us see enough to get a true picture.

New Kid In Town
01-19-2018, 09:35 PM
Stevie Nicks once said she's write her autobiography when her ex-lovers were either dead or widowers, because apparently she had a lot of affairs with married men and didn't want to get them in trouble! LOL!

On the other hand, I think people whose parents were in the industry are probably aware of what went down. I don't think Felder's kids were shocked to read that their dad did groupies.

Don talking about conflicts with Glenn isn't going to horrify anyone, but it would mean that he'd have to be more honest about the complexity of what has been presented, even to a degree in HOTE, in a pretty simplistic way. I think there was a power struggle there that nobody likes to talk about. It seems to me that they danced around each other a lot, that there were frustrations, insecurities, and competitiveness they couldn't express in words but that came out in other ways. Glenn's anger at Don being late wasn't just about Don making people wait, for instance. It was about - to him - Don saying "I'm a big enough star where I don't need to be on time." And Don promising to be on time was a concession to please Glenn but how did Don feel a bout making that concession? Was he cool with it, or did he resent it? Did he feel he had messed up, or did he think Glenn was overreacting because he was insecure and needed to reassert himself? There's so much that can be talked about with those two.

On the other hand, I can't see Don ever talking about "the incident." I don't think he's ever come to terms with what happened that night and he desperately wants to pretend it never happened. If he ever did, what it would reveal about him would be fascinating, though. How does a man deal with something like that? The horror of the moment, then the panic, the fear, the humiliation, and finally the anger... How does it change him? What does it teach him?

He doesn't have to talk about "the incident" to give us insight into his darker side, though. He could go dark without going ALL the way. What he has to do is let us see enough to get a true picture.

Soda - I agree. His relationship with Glenn, the power struggle between the two, Glenn probably realizing he gave up too much, including vocals, that once close friendship broken, is something I think we would all love to hear about. In the re-issue of TTL, he came of as sounding down right nasty and mean when talking about Glenn. And, we can't forget the comment about Glenn's surgery at that time.
The Stevie comment cracks me up ! I guess that means we will never see that autobiography from her.

EDIT : I do have to add that I hate when people are 2-3 hours late like Don usually was. I would be fuming. I have two sisters who can never be on time. One has gotten much better and the other still keeps us waiting and waiting.

maryc2130
01-19-2018, 10:37 PM

Don talking about conflicts with Glenn isn't going to horrify anyone, but it would mean that he'd have to be more honest about the complexity of what has been presented, even to a degree in HOTE, in a pretty simplistic way. I think there was a power struggle there that nobody likes to talk about. It seems to me that they danced around each other a lot, that there were frustrations, insecurities, and competitiveness they couldn't express in words but that came out in other ways. Glenn's anger at Don being late during the initial '93 get together wasn't just about Don making people wait, for instance. It was about - to him - Don saying "I'm a big enough star where I don't need to be on time." And Don promising to be on time was a concession to please Glenn but how did Don feel a bout making that concession? Was he cool with it, or did he resent it? Did he feel he had messed up, or did he think Glenn was overreacting because he was insecure and needed to reassert himself? There's so much that can be talked about with those two.

On the other hand, I can't see Don ever talking about "the incident." I don't think he's ever come to terms with what happened that night and he desperately wants to pretend it never happened. If he ever did, what it would reveal about him would be fascinating, though. How does a man deal with something like that? The horror of the moment, then the panic, the fear, the guilt, the humiliation, and finally the anger... How does it change him? What does it teach him?

Just because Don hasn't talked about it publicly doesn't mean he's never dealt with it. How can you possibly have any idea whether he thinks about it now or has come to terms with it? We have absolutely no way of knowing that, and if he had come to terms with it, the only people who would (and should) know are the people closest to him. If I had a horrible episode in the past, the last thing I'd want to do would be discuss it with the general public.

sodascouts
01-19-2018, 11:48 PM
Just because Don hasn't talked about it publicly doesn't mean he's never dealt with it. How can you possibly have any idea whether he thinks about it now or has come to terms with it? We have absolutely no way of knowing that,and if he had come to terms with it, the only people who would (and should) know are the people closest to him.

That's true. I can't know how he feels. I was simply speculating. That's why I said "I don't think he's ever come to terms with what happened" - the words "I don't think" were meant to indicate that it was only my opinion.

If I had a horrible episode in the past, the last thing I'd want to do would be discuss it with the general public.

Quite understandable. However, if you read autobiographies, you will find that actually it is quite common for people to include horrible episodes from their past in them, and to share how they dealt with those traumas.

That said, I do not expect Don Henley to do so. I think - though of course I have no way of knowing - he might feel the same way you do about it.

maryc2130
01-20-2018, 03:18 PM
That's true. I can't know how he feels. I was simply speculating. That's why I said "I don't think he's ever come to terms with what happened" - the words "I don't think" were meant to indicate that it was only my opinion.

Quite understandable. However, if you read autobiographies, you will find that actually it is quite common for people to include horrible episodes from their past in them, and to share how they dealt with those traumas.

That said, I do not expect Don Henley to do so. I think - though of course I have no way of knowing - he might feel the same way you do about it.

I understand what the words "I don't think" mean. I just wondered why you would think that, given that we know nothing about his feelings. I'm sorry. I'm really not trying to be difficult, but I (obviously) have a problem with people ascribing feelings/motivations to people we don't know personally at all. Hence, my comments on the Cindy Frey lawsuit thread. I have nothing against Cindy at all. I just have no way of knowing what her motivations are, other than wanting to believe they're coming from a good place. Anyway, that's off topic.

I agree that authors, especially celebrities, often discuss traumatic experiences from their past when writing their autobiographies. It certainly helps sell their books! Given the fact that Don's never spoken or written publicly on the matter, and also given the lyrics of Dirty Laundry, my guess is the same as yours -- that he won't address it. But who knows, maybe he'll surprise us all. Sometimes writing about an incident like that can be cathartic. (Although, he can write about it and still not have it published.)

If he doesn't write about it, though, I agree with you that, in order to make the book a success, he'd have to address other things in it that he's so far remained fairly quiet about, such as his relationship with Glenn over the years.

I guess we shall see, if it ever does come to pass!

Dawn
01-22-2018, 02:59 PM
Warning, this is a bit over the top ... pun intended.

http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/houston-woman-bares-all-in-stripper-memoir-6367783

Brooke
01-22-2018, 05:27 PM
:p That's about all I can say, Dawn!

East Texas Girl
01-22-2018, 05:31 PM
Wow, Dawn!!! :woah:

sodascouts
01-22-2018, 09:59 PM
LOL! I don't think that will make his autobiography either!

jms18222
01-23-2018, 03:22 PM
My goodness, he was a young single man. I am sure the author was duly compensated for her services. There was zero need to name names 40+ years later except to get press notice & sell more books.

Been awhile folks...hellos again.

Dawn
01-23-2018, 05:46 PM
My goodness, he was a young single man. I am sure the author was duly compensated for her services. There was zero need to name names 40+ years later except to get press notice & sell more books.

Been awhile folks...hellos again.

Well, she wouldn't be the first or the last to name names, that's for sure. As for being "duly compensated" for her services I don't know how you or anyone else for that matter could know for "sure" whether she was or wasn't. Guess we will just have to read the book.

shunlvswx
02-07-2018, 12:13 AM
Don mention in this article. I want to see this documentary that Niall is talking about.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/melbourne/niall-horan-didnt-see-fan-defacing-of-his-album-title-flicker-coming/news-story/3fbdd5f54097cca50538409845535214

The Eagles are his favourite band — he’s befriended Don Henley through meeting the rocker’s daughter Annabel. “I’m like the family’s adopted son,” Horan jokes.

Henley did an interview for an Apple documentary on Flicker.

“He hardly ever does interviews. For him to say yes to doing an interview for me was good enough. He could have done the worst interview of all time and I wouldn’t have given a sh--! Don agreed to do that for me.” Both men have discussed writing songs together — Horan is hoping his next visit to Henley in Texas may bear musical fruit.

“Imagine that. There would be nothing better than to be sitting in a room with my guitar in my hand with Don Henley, writing a song together. I’d probably forget how to play guitar. Just to have a jam with him would be enough, but imagine being on a song with Don Henley. That’s the dream.”

Horan says seeing Henley and his email buddy Elton John still passionate about music after decades in the game is inspiring.

“They could easily just concentrate on their own fortune and legacy, but they still have time to help younger acts,” he says. “It’s incredible. What I’ve noticed over the years, and I keep this in my head all the time, is that the bigger the star the nicer they are. From Johnny Depp to Ellen DeGeneres to the Obamas to Don Henley and Elton — they are all so lovely. It’s always the smaller people who are the biggest dickheads.”

maryc2130
02-07-2018, 08:43 AM
Thanks for sharing that, Shun. What an awesome tribute to Don!

Ive always been a dreamer
02-07-2018, 02:07 PM
Thanks from me too, shun. Nice!

sodascouts
02-07-2018, 08:44 PM
Don mention in this article. I want to see this documentary that Niall is talking about.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/melbourne/niall-horan-didnt-see-fan-defacing-of-his-album-title-flicker-coming/news-story/3fbdd5f54097cca50538409845535214

The Eagles are his favourite band — he’s befriended Don Henley through meeting the rocker’s daughter Annabel. “I’m like the family’s adopted son,” Horan jokes.

Henley did an interview for an Apple documentary on Flicker.

“He hardly ever does interviews. For him to say yes to doing an interview for me was good enough. He could have done the worst interview of all time and I wouldn’t have given a sh--! Don agreed to do that for me.” Both men have discussed writing songs together — Horan is hoping his next visit to Henley in Texas may bear musical fruit.

“Imagine that. There would be nothing better than to be sitting in a room with my guitar in my hand with Don Henley, writing a song together. I’d probably forget how to play guitar. Just to have a jam with him would be enough, but imagine being on a song with Don Henley. That’s the dream.”

Horan says seeing Henley and his email buddy Elton John still passionate about music after decades in the game is inspiring.

“They could easily just concentrate on their own fortune and legacy, but they still have time to help younger acts,” he says. “It’s incredible. What I’ve noticed over the years, and I keep this in my head all the time, is that the bigger the star the nicer they are. From Johnny Depp to Ellen DeGeneres to the Obamas to Don Henley and Elton — they are all so lovely. It’s always the smaller people who are the biggest dickheads.”

That's great!

Freypower
04-03-2018, 11:19 PM
New house in West Hollywood:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-henley-buys-hollywood-house/

priscillaupstate
04-04-2018, 11:10 AM
I assume this is for a family member? Lovely house.

Brooke
04-04-2018, 12:21 PM
Beautiful house, but rather small compared to his others!

groupie2686
04-04-2018, 01:08 PM
I assume this is for a family member? Lovely house.

I had that thought too..maybe for one of his children? I know he lives in Dallas and already has a house in Malibu.

maryc2130
04-05-2018, 09:00 PM
I haven't seen this posted anywhere here yet, but I apologize if I missed it.

I saw on Facebook that Don and Vince are doing a cover of the song Sacrifice for an Elton John tribute album that come out tomorrow. You can hear a short preview of it on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BDPMHFR/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_awdb_t1_x_yWKXAbZZ59QXX

FreyFollower
04-05-2018, 09:14 PM
As I don't see this elsewhere, there is an article with Don speaking to the Lexington newspaper @kentucky.com. Click on "entertainment" and scroll down to click on story. Sorry, I can't link it.

Delilah
04-06-2018, 10:57 AM
FreyFollower, I think this is what you may be referring to. It’s been updated in the last few minutes.

A new Don interview a couple of days before the Lexington concert.

He says this about Deacon, something that is important to keep in mind:

”His first show with us was at Dodger Stadium, so that’s a pretty big leap for a young man. And he did it. He amazed all of us with his composure. But, of course, it’s still an emotional thing for him. Deacon is dealing with it, but he still has moments of emotional upheaval when he remembers his dad. But we all surround him with love and support.”

Also, he says this:

”We are all acutely aware of what an extraordinary run we’ve had and how this band has had almost as many lives as a cat. We’re aware of that every day and every night. That gives us an edge, energy and will to continue, because we know how unusual our career has been and we know how fortunate we are.”

”Don Henley on the Eagles carrying on: “We wanted everybody to be all in.” by Walter Tunis, Kentucky.com, March 5, 2018

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/article208003954.html#storylink=cpy (http://www.kentucky.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/article208003954.html)

FreyFollower
04-06-2018, 11:18 AM
[quote=Delilah;374822]FreyFollower, I think this is what you may be referring to. It’s been updated in the last few minutes.

That's it. Thanks, Delilah! I mean well, but my lack of computer skills is ever evident!

Victim of Love
04-09-2018, 07:15 PM
Beautiful house, but rather small compared to his others!

Just saw a picture of Sophie in her "new place" in West L.A. and it looked a lot like the front room in the pictures so I wouldn't be surprised if she's living there. One way to ensure you kid lives in a decent neighborhood: buy 'em a house!

Brooke
04-10-2018, 02:51 PM
There ya go! :lol:

shunlvswx
04-10-2018, 02:52 PM
Don probably bought that house months ago and the news media finally picked up on it now.

Delilah
05-19-2018, 12:19 AM
A women’s advocacy group wants Don’s music removed from Spotify.

“Women’s Group Wants Steven Tyler, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Don Henley, Ted Nugent Banned From Spotify” Ultimate Classic Rock, May 15, 2018 (http://ultimateclassicrock.com/womens-group-spotify-band/)

UndertheWire
05-19-2018, 11:18 AM
I don't want an activist group or a corporation deciding what I can and can't listen to based on accusations or even convictions. I can make my own choice.

The stories of Don Henley and his treatment of women does influence how I listen to his music, particularly when he's chiding others for their shortcomings, but I've heard of nothing that would make me want to boycott his music.

groupie2686
05-19-2018, 02:11 PM
That is ridiculous. How Don treated women has nothing to do with his music. It doesn't affect how I listen to it, nor should it be removed from Spotify or anything else for what he may have done in his personal life. If these groups don't want to listen to it, that's their choice, but like UTW said, I don't want them deciding what people can and can't listen to.

Pippinwhite
05-19-2018, 10:52 PM
Then they'd better boycott the NBA -- there's a hotbed of mistreatment of women. Oh, and not go to any mainstream movies anymore. Among other things. These are easy targets. Makes them sound like activists to come against them, but I can think of a bunch of other artists whose work is directly, explicitly demeaning of women, and who have repeatedly been accused of abusive behavior toward women, but it would be detrimental to the group for them to go after these individuals.

But you know what? I don't listen to those artists. Like UTW, I certainly don't always approve of Don's reputation concerning women, but if I want to listen to his music, I should be able to do so. I pay for Spotify every month. I should have the right to listen to what I want on there.

sodascouts
05-21-2018, 12:13 AM
I'm going to move this discussion to "Don in the Press" because it's not directly about "the incident." We can talk more about it there.

sodascouts
05-21-2018, 12:18 AM
So I went and found the open letter from the women's advocacy group:

https://d2486uwqr5x79k.cloudfront.net/images/Spotify_Letter.pdf

Take a look. They don't even give any reasons as to why Don is an "abuser" who should be banned - they just list his name with a bunch of other guys! I guess we're supposed to just take UltraViolet's word for it. Who needs evidence, eh?

shunlvswx
05-21-2018, 09:34 AM
I saw this article about 2 weeks ago and I read that stupid letter.

It sucks that they are including Don. He was not charged. I can understand if they found evidence, then they dropped the charges, and Don didn't go to jail and got away with it, but that's not the case. It wasn't his fault that underage girls were at the party. They are acting like they know the whole story of what happened that night and haven't really read what happened. They just want to get rid of his music.

I really want to write them a nasty letter to tell them you have no right to tell me who I should or shouldn't listen to. If I don't want to listen to a certain artist, then that's my choosing not there's. I agree. They have no right to tell us who we should or shouldn't listen to.

I agree, Soda. Who needs evidence. In their eyes, he got away with it (even though they found no evidence of him "abusing" these girls) now we're going to punish him almost 40 years later.

This mess has gotten way out of hand.

WKMB55
05-21-2018, 11:21 AM
I grew up in the 60's and 70's and it seems so ridiculous for this to be happening over 40 years later. Should some of the "normal" behaviors from that period be considered acceptable? Probably not. However, just like most other generations the majority of us in the 60 and 70 age group went on to lead responsible, productive, successful lives after our teens and early 20's. In my opinion the people who wrote this letter figured if they threw in some well know and some controversial musicians from all generations that they would attract more attention. After all, even negative publicity is still publicity.

shunlvswx
05-21-2018, 11:32 AM
I stopped listening to Spotify for many years now. I listen to only Pandora and IHeart Radio. Now if they decided to go after Pandora and IHeart Radio(which I think I read they are going after next), I will not be a happy camper.

sodascouts
05-21-2018, 12:12 PM
Luckily it looks like Spotify is ignoring them. I daresay anyone else who gets a letter will, too. This is not getting traction with other women's groups.

I also agree with the larger philosophical objection to the idea that a music distribution service should ban an artist's music because of something the artist has done. As others have said, let everyone decide for themselves if they want to listen to it.

Unfortunately, Spotify has already taken this action against two other artists, so they are obviously OK with that kind of censorship. The issue here, then, is that they refrain from taking such action against Don... and obviously, they have.

Even though this will go nowhere, I'm still disgusted with UltraViolet's irresponsible labeling of Don as an "abuser."

shunlvswx
05-21-2018, 12:58 PM
Luckily it looks like Spotify is ignoring them. I daresay anyone else who gets a letter will, too. This is not getting traction with other women's groups.

I also agree with the larger philosophical objection to the idea that a music distribution service should ban an artist's music because of something the artist has done. As others have said, let everyone decide for themselves if they want to listen to it.

Unfortunately, Spotify has already taken this action against two other artists, so they are obviously OK with that kind of censorship. The issue here, then, is that they refrain from taking such action against Don... and obviously, they have.

Even though this will go nowhere, I still disgusted with UltraViolet's irresponsible labeling of Don as an "abuser."

I don't like the word they are using on Don either. Its like Don "abused" these girls even though their weren't any evidence that he did.

shunlvswx
05-21-2018, 01:37 PM
I really don't like that Don is included on a list with Chris Brown. Now he's definitely an abuser.

groupie2686
05-21-2018, 01:50 PM
I am also disgusted by them labeling Don as an abuser. This is the unfortunate part of this MeToo movement, that just because of what someone may or may not have done, we are told we can't listen to their music or watch their movies (if it's an actor). It doesn't matter if they did it or not, once they're labeled as an abuser or a rapist, they're shunned by the public. It's like a witch hunt. And why just those artists? With the number of teenage groupies in the 60s and 70s, they could certainly have added to the list...the censorship is just wrong.

I'm sorry to go off on my soapbox, but this is a touchy subject for me right now. As some of you know, I'm a lawyer, and I just went through a hearing representing a college student accused of sexual assault. There is no evidence he did anything wrong and the way he was treated by the university was absolutely appalling. Again, sorry for the soapbox here, reading this about Don came right after I went through this case and I'm still upset.

shunlvswx
05-21-2018, 01:54 PM
Ok. I looked up the other artists and what they did since I don't know that much about their past. Ted Nugent and Steven Tyler dated a underaged girl (they knew their age and got a consent from their parents), Chris Brown physical abused, and Nelly was charged with sexual assault. Tekashi 6ix9ine has a sexual assault with a minor charge.

The crime for Don was he had underaged girls at his house and I'm still trying to figure out where's the evidence of Don "abusing" these girls. :headscratch:

shunlvswx
05-21-2018, 01:57 PM
I am also disgusted by them labeling Don as an abuser. This is the unfortunate part of this MeToo movement, that just because of what someone may or may not have done, we are told we can't listen to their music or watch their movies (if it's an actor). It doesn't matter if they did it or not, once they're labeled as an abuser or a rapist, they're shunned by the public. It's like a witch hunt. And why just those artists? With the number of teenage groupies in the 60s and 70s, they could certainly have added to the list...the censorship is just wrong.

I'm sorry to go off on my soapbox, but this is a touchy subject for me right now. As some of you know, I'm a lawyer, and I just went through a hearing representing a college student accused of sexual assault. There is no evidence he did anything wrong and the way he was treated by the university was absolutely appalling. Again, sorry for the soapbox here, reading this about Don came right after I went through this case and I'm still upset.

That's ok, groupie. I think we all are a little mad and upset that they are labeling Don an "abuser" just because of a stupid incident that happened 38 years ago (which there's no evidence). I think this is the first group that included Don.

To me. Its different if this was a big secret that nobody knew about and a person comes out and says this 38 years. This is not the case, but I guess it doesn't matter.

Like I said. This has really gotten way out of hand.

UndertheWire
05-22-2018, 07:18 AM
For me, there are three issues:
1) they are demanding a ban based on allegations rather than proven guilt.
2) how much should actions in their private lives influence how how we view their art?
3) why should corporations and action groups be taking the decision on my behalf?

As Soda pointed out, the open letter doesn't give specific reasons for including anyone on the list beyond "allegations of abuse". Therefore, we don't know why Don Henley was included. It might be the 1980 incident or it could be something else.

shunlvswx
05-22-2018, 09:51 AM
For me, there are three issues:
1) they are demanding a ban based on allegations rather than proven guilt.
2) how much should actions in their private lives influence how how we view their art?
3) why should corporations and action groups be taking the decision on my behalf?

As Soda pointed out, the open letter doesn't give specific reasons for including anyone on the list beyond "allegations of abuse". Therefore, we don't know why Don Henley was included. It might be the 1980 incident or it could be something else.

I'm thinking it is from the 1980 incident. Majority of everybody on that list either were dating underage girls or have a sexual assault charge on them. But Don doesn't have a sexual assault charge on him and didn't date an underage girls. He's just guilty of having underage girls at the party.

Delilah
05-22-2018, 10:40 AM
I'm thinking it is from the 1980 incident. Majority of everybody on that list either were dating underage girls or have a sexual assault charge on them. But Don doesn't have a sexual assault charge on him and didn't date an underage girls. He's just guilty of having underage girls at the party.

Don dated Lorelei Shellist who was only 16 at the time. I think Don was in his late 20s. She talks about it in her book, Runway Runaway. Although to be fair, he is hardly the only famous musician dating teen girls during that time period. I have read about other stuff involving underage girls but I don’t know how much truth there is to them. At any rate, I always thought it was a bad idea for him to have such young looking female backup singers. Esp. with the glazed over expressions they seemed to have in the videos. It’s almost as if he were being defiant about his past or something. None of the other Eagles hired young ladies wearing short dresses to sing back-up. At least now they are older and don’t dress like that anymore.

Back to the call for a ban. Bad behavior has been rampant in the music business, not just by the musicians but by people behind the scenes as well. What if the producer of a famous well-loved album was revealed to be an “abuser” and who decides what an “abuser” is? It’s possible half the artists and music will be removed from Spotify or elsewhere if this call is heeded.

What the activists are saying is that having these artists on Spotify’s official playlists “glorifies” them and therefore silences victims of abuse. I hardly think the appropriate punishment for abusers is removing their music from playlists. The artist who commits a wrongdoing should face consequences but the art itself should be separate, something decided upon on an individual basis.

shunlvswx
05-22-2018, 11:32 AM
I didn't know Lorelei was 16 when she was dating Don. That's new to me.

Probably a lot of musicians from back then are very guilty of dating underage girls. Their parents probably didn't care since they were rock stars.

Brooke
05-22-2018, 12:44 PM
It was pretty normal for older guys to date underage girls back then. And the girls were willing and chasing after them! Don't come back and say you weren't after 30+ years! :mad:

shunlvswx
05-22-2018, 01:21 PM
It was pretty normal for older guys to date underage girls back then. And the girls were willing and chasing after them! Don't come back and say you weren't after 30+ years! :mad:

And then later that person writes a tell-all book about their time together or your time with other famous people. I guess its different from back in the day to today. You kinda can't get away with that today even if the parents signed a consent to say its ok for their child to date an older guy.

I'm guessing Don knew how old Lorelei was. I don't know if they know about his relationship with Lorelei, but I'm leaning toward the 1980 incident as for the reason Don's name was included on the list.

05-22-2018, 02:35 PM
Well - Here is what we know ...

Don was known for dating underage teenagers back in the day. However, there is no evidence that this was anything but consensual. And, he was, in fact, charged with contributing to the delinquency of minors in the 1980's incident. He pleaded 'no contest' and was convicted, fined, and put on probation. There was never any public record of any additional incidences after this. Now, I am not defending this behavior, other than to say it was a very different time with very different standards at the time as others have mentioned here. By today's standards, I guess you can make an argument that these 'girls' were abused, but it was certainly not perceived that way back then unless someone was forced to do something against their will.

However, I have to agree with what most others have said here. To me, this has nothing to do with whether or not Spotify (or any other music service or activist group) should ban his music. The public should be the ones to decide what and who they want to listen to, AFAIC. I strongly oppose this type of censorship.

MaryCalifornia
05-22-2018, 02:55 PM
There is no such thing as "consensual" when one party is under the statutory age - the concept doesn't exist, its a legal impossibility.

I think the music streaming companies should have the right to include whoever they want on their roster. They're not telling us who we can or can't listen to. If they don't want to support or be associated with R. Kelly, fine with me. But they risk losing business. Some companies are fine with that. On the spectrum of bad-behaving musicians, I don't think Don Henley even makes it onto the low end of the spectrum! However, as Dreamer states, he does have a conviction against him, which isn't the case with many of the rumored alleged serial abusers. Bill Wyman dated a 13-year-old girl when he was 47 and married her five years later.

In the 1980 case, did the young woman who OD'd even make a complaint against Don? Have any women made public complaints to law enforcement that he abused them?

05-22-2018, 03:23 PM
I guess I didn't make it clear that I totally understand under the letter of the law that a minor cannot legally give consent to sexual acts. However, I did make the distinction that in the '70's, as a practical matter, as long as nothing occurred against someone's will, the perception was that it was considered to be consensual.

And, of course, Spotify has the right to do whatever they wish, but, as I said, I am, personally, very much opposed to this type of censorship.

shunlvswx
05-22-2018, 03:41 PM
There is no such thing as "consensual" when one party is under the statutory age - the concept doesn't exist, its a legal impossibility.

I think the music streaming companies should have the right to include whoever they want on their roster. They're not telling us who we can or can't listen to. If they don't want to support or be associated with R. Kelly, fine with me. But they risk losing business. Some companies are fine with that. On the spectrum of bad-behaving musicians, I don't think Don Henley even makes it onto the low end of the spectrum! However, as Dreamer states, he does have a conviction against him, which isn't the case with many of the rumored alleged serial abusers. Bill Wyman dated a 13-year-old girl when he was 47 and married her five years later.

In the 1980 case, did the young woman who OD'd even make a complaint against Don? Have any women made public complaints to law enforcement that he abused them?

Not that we know of. So I'm going to say no. Their was a rumor last year that one of the girls was going to come out(which was supposed to happened around this time), but it looks like it was just a rumor and just gossip.

I knew about Don dated young women, but I didn't know about the underage dating. I was shocked to know that Lorelei was 16 when she was dating Don.

sodascouts
05-22-2018, 03:44 PM

No. He was reported by the paramedics to police because the young girl was on drugs in his home, and he was found to have "contributed to her delinquency" by a judge as a result, but she pressed no charges or even informally claimed he abused her as far as I know. No other women have made any complaints that he abused them either.

I knew about Don dated young women, but I didn't know about the underage dating. I was shocked to know that Lorelei was 16 when she was dating Don.

If you want to know more about the relationship with Lorelei Shellist, I summarized what she said in Runway Runaway here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86434&postcount=13).

shunlvswx
05-22-2018, 04:05 PM
Thanks for that, Soda. Interesting summary you wrote about Don from the book.

MaryCalifornia
05-22-2018, 04:25 PM
Thank you, Soda. "Sometimes to keep it together, you've got to leave it alone" is pretty much my favorite line from any Eagles song - I can't believe they didn't write it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: I just Googled images of Lorelei Shellist - some of those photos look remarkably like Sharon Henley - he has a type :)

Delilah
05-22-2018, 05:29 PM
I only read excerpts from Lorelei’s book. I didn’t know she claimed to come up with that line from Wasted Time. For some reason I thought it was Loree Rodkin.

Nice summary, Soda, thanks!

So far it appears Spotify has not responded to the letter from Ultraviolet.

CAinOH
06-14-2018, 04:50 PM
A women’s advocacy group wants Don’s music removed from Spotify.

“Women’s Group Wants Steven Tyler, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Don Henley, Ted Nugent Banned From Spotify” Ultimate Classic Rock, May 15, 2018 (http://ultimateclassicrock.com/womens-group-spotify-band/)

FYI: I was reading a story about R. Kelly today (original story is/was from Rolling Stone), and apparently Spotify has reversed its decision to ban his songs from their site:

The most prominent response to #MuteRKelly came from Spotify, which removed the singer's songs from its playlists in early May. "When an artist or creator does something that is especially harmful or hateful (for example, violence against children and sexual violence), it may affect the ways we work with or support that artist or creator," the company said in a statement at the time. Within weeks, the service killed the policy, saying it would not "play judge and jury" regarding artist behavior.

Just putting that out because of the mention of Spotify in this thread. Looks like there should be no worry about Spotify determining who gets played and who doesn't.

sodascouts
06-14-2018, 04:58 PM
FYI: I was reading a story about R. Kelly today (original story is/was from Rolling Stone), and apparently Spotify has reversed its decision to ban his songs from their site:

Just putting that out because of the mention of Spotify in this thread. Looks like there should be no worry about Spotify determining who gets played and who doesn't.

I'm glad to hear it. In addition to the larger philosophical question, it opens up a can of worms where they have to start devoting time to deciding who's "bad enough" to get banned and justifying their decisions... perhaps this group's letter showed them that and made them decide to throw out the policy. If so, the letter really backfired!

NightMistBlue
07-10-2018, 11:18 PM
New house in West Hollywood:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-henley-buys-hollywood-house/

I wonder if he really owns a 40-acre property in Malibu, could that be a misprint. Not even David Geffen could afford 40 acres in Malibu!

sodascouts
07-10-2018, 11:53 PM
I wonder if he really owns a 40-acre property in Malibu, could that be a misprint. Not even David Geffen could afford 40 acres in Malibu!

Apparently not. It's a freaking farm!

He talks about it here (https://www.nytimes.com/1992/06/18/garden/at-home-with-don-henley-in-his-mulholland-drive-wilderness.html):
"So when he finds himself on his hands and knees tending his vegetable farm in Malibu, he is reminded of his father's words, 'Someday, son, you will come to appreciate the land.'"

East Texas Girl
07-11-2018, 02:03 PM
Apparently not. It's a freaking farm!

https://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/don-henleys-farm/view/google/

Wow!! :woah:

Brooke
07-11-2018, 03:23 PM
Now we know why he needs more money! :lol:

New Kid In Town
07-11-2018, 04:17 PM
Now we know why he needs more money! :lol:

LOL ! Don has PLENTY of money. I know the sites are so-so but Celebrity Net Worth estimates his net worth at $225 million dollars. Any kind of land in Malibu is a smart investment.

shunlvswx
11-29-2018, 08:27 PM
Don and also Vince will be honoring Dolly at her as MusiCares Person of The Year gala in February.

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/kacey-musgraves-willie-nelson-don-henley-grammy-dolly-parton-tribute-1203039385/?fbclid=IwAR3XKz3kUkZbS2Akad-JJZBevQAWnxbLUKi5d2CBdpuUV3tpNJuPpMyOVTI

sodascouts
11-30-2018, 11:38 PM
Congrats to Dolly and it's great that Don will be there!

12-01-2018, 01:22 PM
Glad that Don was invited to honor Dolly and congrats to her on this well-deserved honor.

shunlvswx
02-04-2019, 04:57 PM
As we were discussing the odd pairing of Don and Guns N Roses, I found this article on how Don was asked to fill in at the AMAs.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-henley-guns-n-roses/

sodascouts
02-04-2019, 11:34 PM
As we were discussing the odd pairing of Don and Guns N Roses, I found this article on how Don was asked to fill in at the AMAs.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-henley-guns-n-roses/

Thanks for that article. I didn't realize he knew about it that far ahead of time. I somehow had the idea they'd asked him that night! This is less dramatic, but makes more sense lol.

shunlvswx
02-05-2019, 12:08 AM
I thought the same too. A day of the show or a couple of days. So Steve had been in rehab for months when the show happened.

Axl could had asked anyone to fill in, but it is a great honor for Don. Something he probably would never do and I don't think he has ever done it again.

shunlvswx
03-28-2019, 11:38 PM
Fleetwood Mac News Facebook Page are saying Don might be there at Steve's R&R HoF induction tomorrow night to sing Leather and Lace with her. I guess we will see.

https://www.facebook.com/FleetwoodMacNews/?__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARCsrCUYACpwPFGBS9lgGQSNnhE7bJCY_FZdUDtJjahedJ MYr7vwkHmZ9mEm9Y6XBkXr6sBO05txi2KT&hc_ref=ARS3Eb9EKTRuZLb0RisBxwrs8joVYxzOMrIHhjH62-kPQ4udSNx4KBHcjk-hJdCBtwo&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARDxzHwgBkFwfmJFhzWPWA2o4Inv06f2vq9r8mA7FkSnqk SJOIu_XTJqvjihAme8cBA4tLxjV8eOSrRWzDudWD3edrWJ07jQ bcSdMmqktEC6H3T66ME89Uw4VbRXaf4CncHsL3Pty0jDMSGMhW Gq_vrcBEjI0TNI9o_epZ25Vvi-CdRpgJiXNKkUGa3T0RgHEcfLzvYK6oDBC0AE0ypIcwZHdaF9Kq g2vMsR5pXMP7YOp2ntRuT9WEwV4uhSp8tlG7lxFbf6phWUaNGR cvw4DtrudqCXUIBjjQbjPpmylHmINIX4vO0A1wzAF1SP2BO9Yr DYNMJBUN0ebQHc_IB1aXiYCQ

sodascouts
03-29-2019, 12:17 PM
That would be exciting - and would certainly guarantee more viewers!

sodascouts
03-29-2019, 03:03 PM
Don Henley was singing with her at soundcheck. Looks like he's a sure thing!

shunlvswx
03-29-2019, 03:07 PM
Cool. I had a feeling he might be there even though Harry Styles was going to inducted her. I had changed the wording in my original post because I didn't know if it was true or not, but it looks like its true.

I don't have HBO anymore, but I hope HBO does a free preview weekend the weekend R&R HoF is shown at the end of April. I will look on Youtube, Instagram and Twitter tonight.

He hasn't been at the R&R HoF ceremony since 2013 when he inducted Randy Newman.

03-30-2019, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the info, shun.

shunlvswx
04-30-2019, 11:03 AM
Don will appear in Linda's new documentary, The Sound Of My Voice. I wonder when its coming out.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/linda-ronstadts-story-told-in-the-sound-of-my-voice-documentary/

Brooke
04-30-2019, 12:02 PM
Great! Can't wait to see it!

Thanks, shun!

sodascouts
04-30-2019, 07:20 PM
Don will appear in Linda's new documentary, The Sound Of My Voice. I wonder when its coming out.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/linda-ronstadts-story-told-in-the-sound-of-my-voice-documentary/

Thanks for the heads up!

New Kid In Town
05-02-2019, 07:50 AM
Thanks Shun. I can't wait to see it. I love Linda, she had such a beautiful voice.

shunlvswx
05-07-2019, 08:11 PM
I just saw in an article that Linda's documentary will be out later this year on CNN.

shunlvswx
07-12-2019, 09:36 AM
Its that time again for the The Walden Woods Project Global Environmental Leadership Award gala. This year they'll be honoring Ed Begley Jr. and his wife for this year's Global Environmental Leadership Award. Of course they will give out other awards that night.

Special musical guest this year will be Don's friend, Billy Joel. I wonder what song Don will sing with Billy. He was on stage with Paul Simon two years ago when he played the gala. I only saw video of Don singing and guitar drumming on The Boxer.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/names/2019/07/11/don-henley-host-walden-woods-gala-boston-park-plaza-and-billy-joel-will-house/wrrFMOa4JgBMNdmnaSjOPJ/story.html

https://www.walden.org/events/gela-dinner-2019/

sodascouts
07-12-2019, 10:58 PM
Its that time again for the The Walden Woods Project Global Environmental Leadership Award gala. This year they'll be honoring Ed Begley Jr. and his wife for this year's Global Environmental Leadership Award. Of course they will give out other awards that night.

Special musical guest this year will be Don's friend, Billy Joel. I wonder what song Don will sing with Billy. He was on stage with Paul Simon two years ago when he played the gala. I only saw video of Don singing and guitar drumming on The Boxer.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/names/2019/07/11/don-henley-host-walden-woods-gala-boston-park-plaza-and-billy-joel-will-house/wrrFMOa4JgBMNdmnaSjOPJ/story.html

https://www.walden.org/events/gela-dinner-2019/

Cool! Looking forward to the photos. Maybe there will be video this time too?

shunlvswx
07-13-2019, 08:12 AM
If it will, you got to catch it before it’s taken down. I wish I had download it. By the time I got the chance to download it, it was gone.

If their will be a video(which their probably will), this would be the first time I've ever seen Billy and Don singing together. We have seen pictures of them on stage together, but no video. If they do share the stage with a few songs, I hope its not She's Got A Way. I've heard him sing that twice. I have no idea what song Don can sing. I love to hear one of Billy's up tempo songs.

sodascouts
07-13-2019, 12:39 PM
If it will, you got to catch it before it’s taken down. I wish I had download it. By the time I got the chance to download it, it was gone.

If their will be a video(which their probably will), this would be the first time I've ever seen Billy and Don singing together. We have seen pictures of them on stage together, but no video. If they do share the stage with a few songs, I hope its not She's Got A Way. I've heard him sing that twice. I have no idea what song Don can sing. I love to hear one of Billy's up tempo songs.

Agreed. Let's get some variety!

07-13-2019, 09:37 PM
Ed is one of Don's best friends, I believe. I wonder if they met through the Walden Woods project?

shunlvswx
07-13-2019, 11:09 PM
Good question. Probably so.

Ed is also on the Board of Directors.

shunlvswx
07-30-2019, 01:02 PM
Looks like Don played a birthday party this past Sunday.

https://theblast.com/c/dana-white-birthday-party-gwen-stefani-las-vegas

Delilah
07-30-2019, 04:01 PM
I’m kind of surprised Don is still doing these type of gigs but maybe Mr. White is a close personal friend.

Shouldnt he be working on that HC Broadway show and/or his memoirs? ;)

shunlvswx
07-30-2019, 04:34 PM
Well the Eagles did play "private concert" for a guy's birthday in 2015 which was Glenn's last show with the guys. He might had known this guy.

He probably still do parties and corporate concerts. Some we find out about and some we don't.

sodascouts
07-30-2019, 08:10 PM
I'm not surprised. It's easy cash! Play a few tunes and make wads of dough. Probably get a lot of side perks, too. Only corporations and the obscenely wealthy can afford such concerts, of course.

If you've got the money, honey, he's got the time. And hey, I'd do the same if I were him!

07-30-2019, 09:57 PM
ITA, Soda.

WalshFan88
07-31-2019, 07:32 PM
I'm not surprised. It's easy cash! Play a few tunes and make wads of dough. Probably get a lot of side perks, too. Only corporations and the obscenely wealthy can afford such concerts, of course.

If you've got the money, honey, he's got the time. And hey, I'd do the same if I were him!

Yeah, I mean I could say that's just another way to grab more $ (which it always is when it comes to Henley), but yeah if you've got the money, if I was Don, I would still be playing private parties and corporate functions. Why not? I can't fault him with this one. If I had the cash, I'd probably hire his solo band for one of my parties, lol. So yeah - can't say I blame him this time. I think I'd take the opportunity myself.

shunlvswx
07-31-2019, 07:58 PM
If I had the money, I would call Don too and maybe a few others.

Anyway. The Eagles have been playing private events (and birthdays) for many many years either as a solo artist or as a group. This is nothing new.

This is not the first time Don or even the Eagles played for somebody's birthday or a private function. Don and Joe played a Bar Mitzvah (sp?). Heck the Eagles did a concert a day before Prince Albert's wedding. Half of the time we don't even know about these private events until it pops up on social media. I don't know what's the difference of Don doing this now and the many years they've been doing this as a group or solo. I just don't get it.

I know I sometimes wish I was at those private shows different corporation do for their employees. We all probably wish we had a famous singer play at a party.

Don might know the guy, but than again. I don't see Don as a UFC fan, but who knows.

CAinOH
08-01-2019, 08:11 AM
There are YouTube videos from the audience where Glenn and Joe played a realtor convention (I think that's what it was). Actually, singers and bands do this a lot, much more than people realize, I'm sure.

shunlvswx
08-01-2019, 09:00 AM
I remembered those videos from that realtor convention.

This is nothing new when artist play for private functions and birthday parties. I'm just scratching my head as to why this is being such a big deal with Don doing it when he's been doing this for years. I'm just confuse.

If he wants to do this or continue to do this when he's not touring, that's his right and every other artists right who do this on their down time. Money or not. IMO I think its cool you get a famous artist to play at your function or parties. You don't have to ask for that artist. It could be anyone.

Like I said. If I had the money, I would ask for Don or any of my favorite artist to play my birthday party. I have a 40th birthday coming up next year. LOL

sodascouts
08-01-2019, 05:35 PM
I remembered those videos from that realtor convention.

This is nothing new when artist play for private functions and birthday parties. I'm just scratching my head as to why this is being such a big deal with Don doing it when he's been doing this for years. I'm just confuse.

If he wants to do this or continue to do this when he's not touring, that's his right and every other artists right who do this on their down time. Money or not. IMO I think its cool you get a famous artist to play at your function or parties. You don't have to ask for that artist. It could be anyone.

Like I said. If I had the money, I would ask for Don or any of my favorite artist to play my birthday party. I have a 40th birthday coming up next year. LOL

Imagine having the kind of money to be able to have the Eagles or your favorite Eagle play your birthday party! Oh my gosh!

Yeah, this is nothing new, but it's fun to dream!

Brooke
08-02-2019, 03:19 PM
Imagine having the kind of money to be able to have the Eagles or your favorite Eagle play your birthday party! Oh my gosh!

Yeah, this is nothing new, but it's fun to dream!

Oh my, my! What a dream that would be! :heart:

08-03-2019, 01:00 PM
Yep - Just to clarify, I see nothing wrong with Don or any of the guys playing for these kinds of events and making money for it. If people want to fork out money to hire entertainers for private events, then go for it.

Delilah
08-04-2019, 02:07 PM
Wow.

Let’s back up the truck a minute. This is what I posted earlier in the thread, emphasis added.

I’m kind of surprised Don is still doing these type of gigs but maybe Mr. White is a close personal friend.

Shouldnt he be working on that HC Broadway show and/or his memoirs? ;)

Nowhere in my comment did I say there was anything wrong with Don playing a private gig. How anyone could have read it that way is puzzling to me, especially after I have made my opinion quite clear about Don being free to pursue his career however he wants. At this stage of his life, having just turned 72 and returned from a European tour, it would seem he would want to kick back some and relax. That is all. Maybe I should have been more clear but I honestly didn’t expect backlash about a rather benign post.

Of course it is well known he and the band as well as other musicians have performed at private parties and corporate gigs. Hence, the word “still.”

The last sentence was added as a tongue-in-cheek way of saying I wish he would get on with these other projects, although of course he could very well be working on them at this time for all we know.

Apparently now posting a casual comment is equivalent to making a “big deal” about something. While I’m glad the post stimulated some conversation, it’s unfortunate it came at the expense of being misconstrued.

BTW, I heard on the radio that Don and Gwen sang HC together at the party.

shunlvswx
12-09-2019, 08:44 AM
Don was at the KCH last night to honor Linda. Articles are pointing toward Don just introducing her and maybe doing the voiceover for the video montage.

From billboard. https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/8545740/earth-wind-fire-linda-ronstadt-inducted-kennedy-center-honors

On stage, Don Henley (https://www.billboard.com/music/don-henley) choked up while introducing the segment for vocal powerhouse Ronstadt, 73, who rose from the L.A. coffee house scene to release more than 30 albums and win 10 Grammys between 1969-2009. She stopped performing in 2009 after illness (diagnosed much later as supranuclear palsy) began to rob her of her vocal range.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/kennedy-center-honors-its-a-boogie-wonderland/2019/12/08/c464bc1e-1861-11ea-8406-df3c54b3253e_story.html

The roster of stars who turned out for the efficiently produced three-hour event, hosted by previous honoree LL Cool J, surpassed some other recent years: The list included Steven Spielberg, Maura Tierney and Pierce Brosnan for Field; Cedric the Entertainer and Joseph Gordon Levitt for “Sesame Street”; and Don Henley and Underwood for Ronstadt, with Underwood singing the Ronstadt songs “Blue Bayou” and “When Will I Be Loved.”

https://wtop.com/entertainment/2019/12/kennedy-center-honors-award-sesame-street-sally-field-earth-wind-fire/

Don Henley took the stage to describe how he and Glenn Frey got their start as backup musicians for Ronstadt before forming their own group, The Eagles. He fondly recalled Ronstadt covering the first song they wrote together, “Desperado.”
“Outwardly, she had a youthful vulnerability, but on the inside she was a powerful and determined woman who knew where she was going,” Henley said.

New Kid In Town
12-09-2019, 11:31 AM
Don was at the KCH last night to honor Linda. Articles are pointing toward Don just introducing her and maybe doing the voiceover for the video montage.

From billboard. https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/8545740/earth-wind-fire-linda-ronstadt-inducted-kennedy-center-honors

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/kennedy-center-honors-its-a-boogie-wonderland/2019/12/08/c464bc1e-1861-11ea-8406-df3c54b3253e_story.html

https://wtop.com/entertainment/2019/12/kennedy-center-honors-award-sesame-street-sally-field-earth-wind-fire/

Shun - Thanks for finding this. Wow, beautiful words by Don. It must have been very hard for Don to talk about being in Linda's back-up band with Glenn and their writing of “Desperado” together. I can't wait to see this.

Brooke
12-10-2019, 05:07 PM
Thanks for these tidbits, Shun!

Yes, I'm sure it was hard for Don to do this, especially talking about Glenn too.

12-21-2019, 12:59 PM
Thanks shun - I loved Don's remarks and tribute to Linda.

shunlvswx
01-02-2020, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Classic Rock posted an article on their Facebook page about the 30th Birthday of The Heart Of The Matter.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-henley-heart-of-the-matter/

sodascouts
01-04-2020, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Classic Rock posted an article on their Facebook page about the 30th Birthday of The Heart Of The Matter.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-henley-heart-of-the-matter/

That's a nice little write-up. Thanks for linking to it, shun!

Here's something I didn't know.

A quote from JD Souther: "I have to give [Don] full credit for that forgiveness theme. The first time he sang that forgiveness chorus over and over to me, I didn't get it. Kind of went, 'Yeah, I guess.' And then it sort of sunk [in] that it was exactly the point of the song."

So true. That's what really makes the song.

Campbell talks about how proud Don was of the song, then adds: "A lot of people like that song. A lot of girls like it."

Yes. Yes indeed. lol
The first time he sang that forgiveness chorus over and over to me, I didn't get it. Kind of went, 'Yeah, I guess.' And then it sort of sunk it that it was exactly the point of the song.

Read More: Don Henley Learns About Forgiveness on 'The Heart of the Matter' (https://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-henley-heart-of-the-matter/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral) | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-henley-heart-of-the-matter/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

have to give him full credit for that forgiveness theme. The first time he sang that forgiveness chorus over and over to me, I didn't get it. Kind of went, 'Yeah, I guess.' And then it sort of sunk it that it was exactly the point of the song."

Read More: Don Henley Learns About Forgiveness on 'The Heart of the Matter' (https://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-henley-heart-of-the-matter/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral) | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-henley-heart-of-the-matter/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

have to give him full credit for that forgiveness theme. The first time he sang that forgiveness chorus over and over to me, I didn't get it. Kind of went, 'Yeah, I guess.' And then it sort of sunk it that it was exactly the point of the song."

longtimeeaglesfan
02-06-2020, 05:16 PM
From USA Today - Don Henley reflects on the band's "creative peak."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/02/05/eagles-don-henley-says-hotel-california-bands-creative-peak/4622774002/

02-06-2020, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the link, ltef.

sodascouts
02-07-2020, 08:16 PM
Yes, thanks!

I always preferred "Desperado," but I can see what he's saying in terms of how savvy they were at production and songwriting at that point. They really were firing on all cylinders.

WalshFan88
02-08-2020, 06:36 PM
I definitely agree with Don (one of those rare instances, lol).

I feel Hotel California was their masterpiece. They dipped their toes into the water of concept albums with Desperado, but HC was their piece de resistance. The songs, the new-found guitar sound and playing of the new guy Joe Walsh with Don Felder, moving away from country/country-rock to more of a palatable classic rock commercial sound much to the chagrin of some people, etc. They had all the plates spinning.

I feel like it was almost a curse for them though, they had basically made an album that couldn't really be topped. I think Don clocks it well with whole "we made it, and it ate us" thing. How can you even begin a new record? I think that right there was part of the stress that started the descent of the Eagles plane in the "Long Run" period. I love that album, but I won't lie and say I'm not in the minority. They were miserable with themselves, Glenn and Don were fractured, and the writing and recording process from all accounts was insanely painful. I think that Hotel California, in that regard, became an omen for the band.

KingWalsh
02-09-2020, 04:50 AM
I agree, what a task to top HC. The Long Run is a great album. I don’t care what people say. Expectations were so high and critics had way too much power. Any other band released an album with that many “singles” it would’ve been praised and what not, but because it was Eagles, somehow it was mediocre? Similar situation with (Fleetwood Mac and Tusk.)To be honest, the only songs I don’t like is Disco Strangler and Greeks, and it’s more lyrically than musically. I can go on and on, but too much pressure and other things did them in. It’s a shame they just couldn’t take a little longer break, they were burnt out and then continue.

I’m sure the lucky ones that saw them back in the day treasure it. I so desperately wish I can be transported back in time and be at one of those shows.....I was just a baby.

New Kid In Town
02-09-2020, 11:52 AM
I agree Austin and KF - There was no way they could top HC. What they should have done is just acknowledge that and moved on to the next album. All that stress and arguing were not worth it. Which, they all realized much later. They needed a break from the constant touring but felt they could not afford any kind of long break. I read in a old interview they toured for 8 month after the release of OTB, 9 months for OOTN and 11 months for HC. That is a brutal schedule for any band. Of course the coke and partying did not help any.
I think their constant exhaustion went hand-in-hand with their huge use of Cocaine. And, JMHO, but I don't think any kind of rest would have kept the band from breaking up. Too many issues - especially between Don H. and Glenn.
The LR is not may favorite album. Too many subpar songs that would never have made that album if they were not so burned out and exhausted.

sodascouts
02-09-2020, 07:39 PM
Agreed about The Long Run. There are some standout tracks but overall, you can see the seams are coming apart. Yeah, a breakup was probably inevitable at the point, considering where their heads were at. Maybe some counseling would have helped!

WalshFan88
02-09-2020, 10:04 PM
I think what songs should have been left off of The Long Run would make for interesting debate.

Personally, I think taking Those Shoes off would be sacrilege. If VOL is underrated, then Those Shoes is criminally underrated.

Those Shoes has become one of my favorite Eagles songs and was my favorite that I heard on the HOTE tour. Hearing that song open with the talkboxes was the highlight of the night.

KingWalsh
02-10-2020, 07:14 PM
Omg Those Shoes is so smokin there is no way to take that off! 👡🔥

I shudder at the thought!

02-10-2020, 08:22 PM
I actually think The Long Run is an excellent album, but, as everyone has said, it couldn't top Hotel California. The only song I'm not that fond of is The Disco Strangler. Although, I admit Teenage Jail and GDWNF aren't their best work, I still like them. I love the humor in Greeks and I get what they were going for with Teenage Jail and find it appealing. The remaining songs are all very good to excellent, IMO. So, even if you fail 3 songs, they're still at 70% - not too bad AFAIC.

KingWalsh
02-11-2020, 04:39 AM
I actually think The Long Run is an excellent album, but, as everyone has said, it couldn't top Hotel California. The only song I'm not that fond of is The Disco Strangler. Although, I admit Teenage Jail and GDWNF aren't their best work, I still like them. I love the humor in Greeks and I get what they were going for with Teenage Jail and find it appealing. The remaining songs are all very good to excellent, IMO. So, even if you fail 3 songs, they're still at 70% - not too bad AFAIC.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 Well said. Even with Disco Strangler being the weakest on the album I rather enjoy the music funky as hell....just the singing pattern gets to me. I like Teenage Jail too! And Greeks rocks just not crazy about lyrics. All us Long Run fans can come out of hiding. 👍🏻🤘🏻😂

New Kid In Town
02-11-2020, 11:37 AM
I think what songs should have been left off of The Long Run would make for interesting debate.

Personally, I think taking Those Shoes off would be sacrilege. If VOL is underrated, then Those Shoes is criminally underrated.

Those Shoes has become one of my favorite Eagles songs and was my favorite that I heard on the HOTE tour. Hearing that song open with the talkboxes was the highlight of the night.

Hi Austin - Hope you are feeling better! Well, the three song I can't stand and in MHO are the worst they ever did are Disco Strangler, Teenage Jail and GDWNF. If they had not been so exhausted and burned out, those songs would never have made that album. HT, ICTYW, TLR, The Sad Cafe and The KIng of Hollywood are great songs. Those Shoes is ok to me but, I have never seen them do it in concert. Austin I'm happy for you that you were able to see them play it. I do think the talk box is pretty cool.

sodascouts
02-11-2020, 09:01 PM
Im; with you on the three low points, NKIT. As for "Those Shoes," for me, it's a highlight of the album. I love that song! I also really enjoy "Victim of Love."

shunlvswx
03-06-2020, 10:52 AM
Ok. Don “might” pop up or be mention on Kenny Rogers Biography which airs on the A&E channel. The episode airs on April 13th. Just a heads up. I think at 8:00pm Central Time.

We have our own story to tell about Mr. Rogers. It’s an anecdote about fate and how a chance meeting on McKinney Avenue in Dallas helped craft the career of a future superstar whose band, the Eagles, recorded what still remains the No. 1-selling album in music history (https://www.businessinsider.com/50-best-selling-albums-all-time-2016-9).

The year was 1968.

Shopping for bell-bottoms one afternoon in a trendy boutique, members of the East Texas-bred band Felicity got to meet fellow customer Kenny Rogers, then a Top-40 sensation with the First Edition. Two of the members of Felicity, who grew up in Linden in the Piney Woods, were Richard Bowden and Don Henley. Bowden went on to become a guitarist for, among others, Linda Ronstadt and Dan Fogelberg. And Henley, of course, co-founded the Eagles with Glenn Frey. As members of the Eagles, Henley and Frey were inducted (https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/eagles) into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998.
On that fateful day on McKinney Avenue, Rogers agreed to come hear the band and blessed them with the magic words, “I think I can help you boys out.”

“So he came to Linden and hung out with us for a couple of days,” Bowden said. “He said, ‘Get your stuff together and come to LA. You can stay in my house, go in the studio and cut a single.’ So we did.”

“Jennifer,” the 45 co-written by Don Henley and Jerry Surratt, gave Felicity the feeling that anything was possible. Henley once told us in an interview that the single’s flip side, “Simple Little Down-Home Rock 'n' Roll Love Song For Rosie,” got more airplay than “Jennifer,” though neither made the charts. It merely gave them the feeling that life was headed one way only — up.

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts-entertainment/tv/2020/03/05/ae-announces-new-shows-featuring-willie-nelson-dolly-parton-and-kenny-rogers/

Brooke
03-06-2020, 03:11 PM
Thanks Shun! I always liked Kenny Rogers! Will have to check that out!

KingWalsh
03-07-2020, 10:28 AM
I'll be watching. Thanks for the scoop Shun!

03-07-2020, 11:17 AM
Thanks so much for letting us know, shun.

New Kid In Town
03-07-2020, 12:27 PM
Wow - interesting. I will have to check my cable guide to see if I get the Bio channel. If so I will watch it. thanks Shun for the heads up.

KingWalsh
03-14-2020, 10:40 AM
I apologize if this has been posted before or even if general knowledge and i've been under some rock, but UCR posts an article about Heart regarding the Mutt Lange song "All I want to do is make love to you". It says it was originally offered to Don Henley? I never heard this before, I tried to search the border,but couldn't find....according to the timeline, that would be around The Long Run days? I am happy Don turned it down! The song oozes with cheese in my opinion, I can't imagine this being done by Eagles or solo!

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/heart-all-i-wanna-do-is-make-love-to-you/

03-21-2020, 11:52 AM
Sad that shun had just posted this info about the Kenny Rogers bio a couple of weeks ago and now Kenny has left us. Looking forward to watching this.

shunlvswx
03-21-2020, 04:52 PM
Here's an article about Don talking about his mentor. Don saw him 6 weeks ago.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/don-henley-kenny-rogers-tribute-970907/

RIP Gambler. Thanks for discovering Don and his band and took a chance on them. We would had never gotten the Eagles and Don would had never met Glenn.

sodascouts
03-21-2020, 11:50 PM
Here's an article about Don talking about his mentor. Don saw him 6 weeks ago.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/don-henley-kenny-rogers-tribute-970907/

RIP Gambler. Thanks for discovering Don and his band and took a chance on them. We would had never gotten the Eagles and Don would had never met Glenn.

I thought Don might issue a statement about Kenny. Thanks for posting that, shun.

So sad that he's passed, but as Dolly Parton said in her tribute, he's in a better place now.

New Kid In Town
03-22-2020, 08:39 AM
Beautiful words from Don about Kenny. Thank God he took an interest in a bunch of small town kids who wanted to make it big. They didn't but it gave us the Eagles. it is nice that Don got a chance to thank Kenny and say good bye.
Shun - Thanks for posting this.

Delilah
03-22-2020, 08:47 PM
Such a lovely tribute by Don about Kenny, who played such a key role in the band’s history.

On another note, it appears Don gave permission allowing a Spanish version of “Desperado” be used in a documentary. This documentary is about two 1915 shooting deaths in south Texas and is titled Border Bandits. “Kirby” is Kirby Warnock, the film’s director. I assume the guy didn’t have to pay an arm and a leg to use the song.

Because of its Hispanic influences, the film demanded Mexican-themed music, but the only problem was that Kirby did not speak Spanish and was not totally familiar with Tex-Mex music, save for the cojunto radio stations he heard growing up. Faced with this dilemma, he went back to his roots—rock and roll. "I've always been a big fan of the Eagles' album, Desperado, so I contacted Don Henley and asked him if we could do a Spanish version of the title song. He gave us permission and basically said that it would be no problem for him to get us the clearances," recalls Warnock.
https://www.smu.edu/Dedman/Academics/InstitutesCenters/swcenter/Events/Lectures/BorderBandits

My My
04-13-2020, 12:33 PM
Just a reminder that "Kenny Rogers" airs tonight on A&E at 9:00 eastern. Don Henley was a guest performer at the 2017 concert that this special is built upon.

My My
04-13-2020, 11:50 PM
Sorry to report that Don Henley was not on the A&E biography, "Kenny Rogers." It was a really interesting and worthwhile show though.

KingWalsh
04-15-2020, 03:51 AM
I recorded it. Will watch. Bummer no Henley.

04-15-2020, 08:00 PM
In spite of My My's reminder, I was unable to watch this and I forgot to record it as well. Shoot - hopefully, they will air it again before too long.

KingWalsh
04-23-2020, 09:15 AM
In spite of My My's reminder, I was unable to watch this and I forgot to record it as well. Shoot - hopefully, they will air it again before too long.

I started to watch have to finish....
It appears to be available on aetv.com:
https://www.aetv.com/specials/biography-kenny-rogers

04-23-2020, 08:55 PM
KW - Thanks so much for posting that link. I just finished watching and I really enjoyed it. It was great! Too bad they didn't show Don at Kenny's farewell show.

KingWalsh
04-24-2020, 12:48 AM
no prob :wink: Gonna watch tomorrow....ya wish Mr. Henley was in there, kinda dropped the ball on that, I think. Who knows.

shunlvswx
04-24-2020, 09:03 AM
CMT did a special on Kenny called CMT Giants about two weeks ago and they did show a picture of Don and Kenny from the TJ Martell gala in 2016 at the end of the special

KingWalsh
04-29-2020, 09:13 AM
I finally watched the A&E show on Kenny. They did a great job. Whole show was good, I liked Lionel being a part of it too. I teared up when it was Dolly and Kenny at the end. Too bad no mention of Don at all, I found that strange that was left out.

KingWalsh
05-23-2020, 02:43 PM
In case you missed it...Don doing some good during quarantine. $33,000 for Desperado lyrics in his handwriting, money raised for North Texas Food Bank!:thumbsup:
https://www.dallasnews.com/arts-entertainment/music/2020/05/14/don-henleys-handwritten-lyrics-to-desperado-fetch-the-highest-price-at-charity-auction/

Delilah
05-23-2020, 07:05 PM
In case you missed it...Don doing some good during quarantine. $33,000 for Desperado lyrics in his handwriting, money raised for North Texas Food Bank!:thumbsup:
https://www.dallasnews.com/arts-entertainment/music/2020/05/14/don-henleys-handwritten-lyrics-to-desperado-fetch-the-highest-price-at-charity-auction/

Yay, Don, that’s awesome! Funny to see that he had to cross out one word and replace it with the correct one. :mrgreen:

05-24-2020, 12:31 PM
That's awesome! High fives to Don for doing this. The lyrics and and the guitar that Don donated raised over $46,000 for the food bank. :applause:

KingWalsh
05-24-2020, 03:55 PM
Yes forget to mention! the guitar is cool too! Man wish I had one of those, anything for that matter. Ha ha! Such a good cause

sodascouts
06-02-2020, 03:22 PM
It's not really the press per se, but Don testified before Congress about copyright law today. You can download his written testimony here (https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/download/henley-testimony). The video of his testimony is no longer available, it seems.

CAinOH
06-02-2020, 03:47 PM
It's not really the press per se, but Don testified before Congress about copyright law today. You can download his written testimony here (https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/download/henley-testimony). The video of his testimony is no longer available, it seems.

Try this link:
https://www.c-span.org/video/?472616-1/senate-judiciary-subcommittee-hearing-copyright-law&vod=&fbclid=IwAR0K6nsdLHuHewWsDiHAhD9yx4ACMblTHjR2hBrbx wiMLTNrlIpg520rnsQ

Don comes in at about 17 minutes.

CAinOH
06-02-2020, 05:05 PM
And, someone has clipped to just Don's testimony:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4879116/user-clip-dh-testimony&fbclid=IwAR2GTIZw7PwIEixZsq3OsgC0SmqpFFSk6UzG7FmKT IASjMsbIpBeIX9-6ls

WalshFan88
06-03-2020, 03:18 AM
Don is looking a bit like Colonel Sanders these days, but ever stylish with the AirPods, lol.

Brooke
06-03-2020, 02:32 PM
Don is looking a bit like Colonel Sanders these days, but ever stylish with the AirPods, lol.

Perfect description! :lol:

And I must say I like the gray hair instead of the orange/brown/gray he used to have! Although he does look older!

sodascouts
06-03-2020, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the video link. Oh my gosh, he does look like the Colonel! Dang!

I’m glad he mentioned what was going on. It seemed an ill-timed hearing.

WalshFan88
06-03-2020, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the video link. Oh my gosh, he does look like the Colonel! Dang!

I’m glad he mentioned what was going on. It seemed an ill-timed hearing.

Yeah me too.

I was surprised to know that he knew or seemed to know what TikTok was, lol. I knew he would know YouTube or Spotify. I'm sure he had some help with his speech, or at the very least someone "hipped" him to the newer social platform names. It certainly made him seem less out of his element or uninformed and out of touch. I have a TikTok, but I've never used it. I never used Vine, Snapchat, Byte, Periscope, or now TikTok. The whole short video clips, and some disappear thing never was my jam. I love Instagram for my photography and the fact I can upload a whole minute of video (or longer if I use IGTV) and quickly share it to Twitter and Facebook at once, but the Snapchat/Vine/TikTok/IG Stories thing is beyond my scope. I just post to the feed on Insta. I never got the hang of the stories, seemed too much like Snapchat to me, although I think IG's version is superior to Snap. I support it fully, but I tend to stick to what are becoming geriatric social networks, although Instagram is still fairly hip, Facebook and Twitter however, are not!

KingWalsh
06-03-2020, 11:51 PM
I think Don is rockin the grey! I see the Colonel resemblence, but I prefer this look! My glasses are similar:) ha ha. Thanks for the link. He did well, as much as we like the free content, he makes a point, especially for the newer artists out there. :thumbsup:.

The hearing was most likely planned a while back and unfortunately unable to reschedule.

Walshfan88, you have tiktok! You go! My kids love the dance challenges lol

CAinOH
06-04-2020, 11:50 AM

LOL! Austin, did you do this?
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/s960x960/102406218_2535081523190733_392911029941567488_o.jp g?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=nFmV7wKe_fsAX9DPi_M&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=832f9e65f688e70bdd68dcc499229787&oe=5EFFC97C

Brooke
06-04-2020, 02:27 PM
:rofl: That's hilarious!!

WalshFan88
06-04-2020, 03:57 PM
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/s960x960/102406218_2535081523190733_392911029941567488_o.jp g?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=nFmV7wKe_fsAX9DPi_M&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=832f9e65f688e70bdd68dcc499229787&oe=5EFFC97C

OMG no but that makes me ridiculously happy to have beaten them to the punch with the thought of him looking like Colonel Sanders! Haha it's literally the first thing I thought of when I saw him in that picture. I'm just glad someone else sees the same thing. Haha I think Don should be the new Colonel for KFC. I'd pay to see the commercials! :lol:

KingWalsh
06-05-2020, 03:21 AM
I hope Don doesn’t get miffed...,ha ha...I’m sure the guys are getting a chuckle :lol:

WalshFan88
06-05-2020, 02:47 PM
I hope Don doesn’t get miffed...,ha ha...I’m sure the guys are getting a chuckle :lol:

Lol, knowing Don, he will probably be miffed. :lol: And I do not care haha. He has always needed to lighten up a little. :) I actually think it’s better to be natural whenever possible, but I thought the similarity was a little funny. No harm no foul! :grin:

shunlvswx
06-05-2020, 04:50 PM
Don would be a great Colonel Sanders. Heck they had Reba as Colonel Sanders. Now that was weird.

WalshFan88
06-05-2020, 08:28 PM
Don would be a great Colonel Sanders. Heck they had Reba as Colonel Sanders. Now that was weird.

Yeah I think Don would probably be a better choice than Reba McEntire...lol

KingWalsh
06-06-2020, 09:35 PM
I second that :laugh:

06-07-2020, 10:57 AM
Me too!

As far as Don sporting the gray look, I vote a resounding 'No' - makes him look too old. But, I have never been a fan of gray hair on most men, especially with the grey beard, too. You can see in the video that the top of his head is still brown, so I'm guessing he's staying at home a lot these days. :lol:

As far as his testimony, even though I think Don's views about copyright are a bit extreme, I do agree with him that there needs to be more protection of intellectual property in this new virtual world of ours.

New Kid In Town
06-07-2020, 12:55 PM

OMG - Too funny !:lol::hilarious: But, I have to agree - he does look like Col. Sanders !

WalshFan88
06-30-2020, 04:20 AM
So I've been thinking about possible lines for Don's upcoming KFC commercial (lol, not really but we can pretend!) to be aired soon. Word has it that every bucket of chicken has a ticket, scratch it off and win!

"If you're not too Busy Being Fabulous this November, bring yer bucket of chicken and I'll sing Desperado to you from six feet away at My Thanksgiving this year! We can get down to The Heart Of The Matter and discuss my philanthropy over some good fried chicken. I can eat it all in a New York Minute! I just ask that you don't bring any Witchy Woman along with you if she's wearing Those Shoes again. Offer ends soon, after all it's Life In The Fast Lane out here so please buy your buckets soon. I promise it won't be Wasted Time on your part. We will all make it in The Long Run. The Best Of My Love from your friend Don Henley."

:lol:

CAinOH
06-30-2020, 08:04 AM
So I've been thinking about possible lines for Don's upcoming KFC commercial (lol, not really but we can pretend!) to be aired soon. Word has it that every bucket of chicken has a ticket, scratch it off and win!

"If you're not too Busy Being Fabulous this November, bring yer bucket of chicken and I'll sing Desperado to you from six feet away at My Thanksgiving this year! We can get down to The Heart Of The Matter and discuss my philanthropy over some good fried chicken. I can eat it all in a New York Minute! I just ask that you don't bring any Witchy Woman along with you if she's wearing Those Shoes again. Offer ends soon, after all it's Life In The Fast Lane out here so please buy your buckets soon. I promise it won't be Wasted Time on your part. We will all make it in The Long Run. The Best Of My Love from your friend Don Henley."

:lol:

Yeah, make me laugh out loud first thing in the morning, Austin. :partytime:

Of course, after this Duluth Trading Company will sue for their settlement back from the "Don a Henley and Take It Easy" advertisement whoop-de-doo.

Brooke
06-30-2020, 02:12 PM
Love it, Austin! :rofl:

WalshFan88
06-30-2020, 03:33 PM
Don’s portion of the proceeds are split between Walden Woods and a fund for a nice wheelchair with drums attached for the next Eagles 3.0 tour in 2030.

06-30-2020, 04:41 PM
This is all too funny. But, a far as that last post ... I can only say "Don't go there with me, Austin!" :wink: :grin:

WalshFan88
07-01-2020, 01:35 AM
This is all too funny. But, a far as that last post ... I can only say "Don't go there with me, Austin!" :wink: :grin:

Hahaha oh I know...;) :hilarious:

Delilah
08-05-2020, 11:30 PM
Don is filing another lawsuit....

“Fans tipped us off to the fact that Biden and Trump weren’t using ‘Boys Of Summer’ for any of their in-person or virtual campaign appearances, and we felt we had no choice but to take legal action,” said Henley, whose lawyers filed a civil complaint against the campaigns detailing how the classic-rock radio mainstay would make a perfect complement to the message of either candidate.
“We find it unacceptable that it hasn’t been played even once at a 2020 rally, especially during the summertime. The part that goes ‘Nobody on the road / Nobody on the beach’ truly speaks to this moment in American life.

Don Henley Sues Both Presidential Campaigns For Not Using ‘Boys Of Summer’ The Onion, August 5, 2020 (https://www.theonion.com/don-henley-sues-both-presidential-campaigns-for-not-usi-1844621906)

:hilarious::hilarious::grin:

Brooke
08-06-2020, 02:58 PM
Lol, Delilah! Too funny!

FreyFollower
08-06-2020, 04:23 PM
Ha! :laugh: But I fear Don wasn't even remotely amused!:nope:
Thanks, Delilah!

08-08-2020, 11:48 AM
That is hilarious. :hilarious: Thanks for posting, Delilah.

shunlvswx
10-08-2020, 09:45 PM
I just got this email and it looks like they will have this year's RnR Hall of Fame induction on November 7th on HBO

Don will be a special guest probably to honor Irving.

http://abcnewsradioonline.com/music-news/2020/10/8/ringo-starr-bruce-springsteen-don-henley-among-special-guest.html

10-11-2020, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the heads up, shun. I'll update the R&R HOF 2020 thread as well. And, yep, I'd bet Don will induct Irvin.

KingWalsh
10-19-2020, 03:41 AM
So Don Henley has been doing stuff too, I missed this maybe you have too! He is featured on The Dillard’s September release titled Old Roads New Again! And Bernie is on a song too! The title track to boot! There is a link for the song in the article. Enjoy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wideopencountry.com/the-dillards-old-roads-new-again/amp/ (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wideopencountry.com/the-dillards-old-roads-new-again/amp/)

10-24-2020, 05:45 PM
Thanks for posting that, KW. Hope all the guys are keeping busy and staying safe.

FreyFollower
10-24-2020, 09:24 PM
Don is featured very briefly speaking of Irving on the RRHOF's promo for their upcoming ceremony @ https://www.rockhall.com/class-2020-inductees. Notable to me was Don's appearance: leaner, clean shaven, and hair allowed to go natural. I think he looks like a silver fox, and should have gone gray a long time ago. (They rarely did a dye job that looked right to me.)

KingWalsh
10-27-2020, 04:45 AM
Thanks for posting. Don does look good! I prefer the all natural too. I think Don and Paul McCartney both should’ve embraced the grey sooner. Both had that weird orangy tinge going on at times or just plain off. They both look way better now, imho.

New Kid In Town
10-27-2020, 09:01 PM
Thanks for posting. Don does look good! I prefer the all natural too. I think Don and Paul McCartney both should’ve embraced the grey sooner. Both had that weird orangy tinge going on at times or just plain off. They both look way better now, imho.

I think Don looks good too. And, I agree - he always seemed to have the orange tinted hair. He looks good with the grey hair and, about ten years younger without the beard. I never cared for the beard and always thought it made him look older. Looking forward the the R&RHF show !

sodascouts
10-31-2020, 07:09 PM
Don looks very sharp. Good to see him again!

KingWalsh
01-04-2021, 05:00 AM
I wasn’t sure where to post this, but in case you didn’t see...I thought this was pretty cool. Waddy, Danny Kortchmar, Russ Kunkel, LeLand Sklar and Steve Postell re-did Don’s “New York Minute”. Check it out, of course it’s missing Don’s finesse but still cool to see the guys! It was funny I looked QUICK at Kortchmar and for a split second I thought it was Felder! I was like wait what? :rofl: But there wasn’t a scarf so..I mean duh! :shrug:Stupid me ha ha. :wink: Anyways here’s the article, nice backstory and such. and video is in there too. https://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/the-immediate-family-new-york-minute-video-don-henley/

sodascouts
01-07-2021, 11:55 AM
I wasn’t sure where to post this, but in case you didn’t see...I thought this was pretty cool. Waddy, Danny Kortchmar, Russ Kunkel, LeLand Sklar and Steve Postell re-did Don’s “New York Minute”. Check it out, of course it’s missing Don’s finesse but still cool to see the guys! It was funny I looked QUICK at Kortchmar and for a split second I thought it was Felder! I was like wait what? :rofl: But there wasn’t a scarf so..I mean duh! :shrug:Stupid me ha ha. :wink: Anyways here’s the article, nice backstory and such. and video is in there too. https://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/the-immediate-family-new-york-minute-video-don-henley/

Thanks for posting that. "The Immediate Family" is an interesting band name, isn't it? The vocal actually reminds me a bit of Joe.

01-10-2021, 08:06 PM
I agree that the vocals are somewhat 'Joe-like'.

I like the version a lot. But, of course, not as much as the original.

shunlvswx
03-24-2021, 09:57 PM
I just got this email. If you have Netflix, they will be premiere Dolly’s MusiCares gala from 2019 on April 7th.

This includes Don and Vince singing Eagle When She Flies. Linda will be a guest too.

http://abcnewsradioonline.com/music-news/2021/3/24/don-henley-linda-ronstadt-more-featured-in-dolly-parton-a-mu.html?fbclid=IwAR3HzWybbCz1OHA8EiQ0zM54z7obcIKNQ aNQALlNU8gLip8iZlwsISSHEQI

KingWalsh
03-29-2021, 04:19 AM
Thanks once again Shun! Sweet!

sodascouts
04-04-2021, 07:29 PM
I'll be recording it. Thanks, shun!

Scamp
04-05-2021, 08:09 AM

Waddy and Glenn:
both left handed but play right handed
both played in backup bands for Linda
both used to play at the Troubadour
both played in bands with Joe Walsh

shunlvswx
04-07-2021, 08:25 PM
Don’t waste your time watching Dolly’s MusiCares special (unless you want too). They cut it way down to 55 minutes and Don is not in there.

Linda does appearance at the end with Emmylou Harris.

04-09-2021, 05:21 PM
That's too bad that Don was cut out. What were those editor's thinking? :headscratch:

shunlvswx
04-10-2021, 02:03 AM
I found an old article from that night. I wanted to see who was also there. They cut Don’s, Garth/Trisha’s and Pink’s performances. I think they cut some Dolly’s performance too. It could had been 90 minutes.

I’m so sorry about misinformation. The way the article was saying, his and Vince’s performance was going to be shown.

KingWalsh
04-10-2021, 03:58 AM
Wow what a let down. I agree dreamer what were they thinking?? Not your fault shun, what can ya do!

shunlvswx
09-18-2023, 07:41 PM
Don will induct and pay tribute to Trisha Yearwood at this year’s Austin City Limits Hall of Fame. She will inducted along with singer the late John Prine. The induction will be October 26th on PBS but won’t air until January 2024.

https://acltv.com/2023/09/18/acl-announces-hall-of-fame-2023-guest-performers/?fbclid=IwAR07nA5Cc_ewhR35kzp7Hs5eID5zl8zTgqEqg9zT preifjSUwSZJ70hutQA_aem_AU1iYLODAxW3jPwdtOVOaatFVn RrVyb2wtMTmOG31eGZpjfpcrTTuUDuPf9pM7EEea8

Scamp
09-19-2023, 09:00 AM
Thanks for posting that. "The Immediate Family" is an interesting band name, isn't it? The vocal actually reminds me a bit of Joe.

They were recording and performing up in Canada during the COVID shutdown. I think the group came from the Monsters as they were called who did a lot of studio work in the 60's -70's and session work too.

shunlvswx
12-20-2023, 03:09 PM
I saw this on JD Souther’s story reel on Facebook. Don, Trisha, JD, and others will be part of a tribute to Leonard Cohen on April 26th at the Kennedy Center. Tickets go on sale this Friday.

Too bad I’m in that area next month. I’m heading to Baltimore for a conference and I want to visit the Kennedy Center and other places in Washington DC since it’s only an hour away from Baltimore.

https://www.kennedy-center.org/nso/home/2023-2024/leonard-cohen-tribute/?fbclid=IwAR26QgSsaZn0YH6z4adlfIXnE9RMd9hpsZKyiuWn Sl7K0_1_i7iPUigTvf4_aem_AVbffrX4-YI8-rouCeDJuTGSHJL9n1CuBAzJiacmLzSIGDTgXGGRVb0JkojmkhN CBRk

FreyFollower
03-04-2024, 10:28 PM
Don appears on Austin City Limits Hall of Fame to honor Trisha Yearwood; sing "Walkaway Joe".
https://people.com/trisha-yearwood-don-henley-reunite-for-walkaway-joe-performance-i-appreciate-you-8603374