PDA

View Full Version : Casting an Imaginary Tribute Concert

AmarilloByMorning
11-02-2010, 05:54 PM
We negotiated this matter a bit in light of the Rascal Flatts performance (cough-annihilation of HC-cough), but… let’s say we booked a tribute concert to the Eagles, with tracks limited to the lineup of the two GH cds. Which songs would you want covered by whom? (I acknowledge the existence of Common Thread, but I imagine with an unlimited budget and no scheduling concerns, we could devise a set of particular note.)

I don’t mean to hijack the board by creating my own uber-topic or anything, so if this isn’t appropriate feel free to delete. I’m just interested in everyone’s take on the matter, because after a great deal of consideration I have yet to select an appropriate artist for “Take It Easy” beyond the obvious, and an adequate selection for “Desperado” has me positively stumped. I imagine someone with a greater familiarity of the boomer generation’s music could proffer some highly intriguing selections.

The lineup(s), just in case we don’t all have the track listings seared onto our consciousness:
1. Take It Easy
2. Witchy Woman
3. Lyin’ Eyes
4. Already Gone
5. Desperado
6. One of These Nights
7. Tequila Sunrise
8. Take it to the Limit
9. Peaceful Easy Feeling
10. Best of My Love

11. Hotel California
12. Heartache Tonight
13. Seven Bridges Road
14. Victim of Love
15. Sad Café
16. Life in the Fast Lane
17. I Can’t Tell You Why
18. New Kid in Town
19. Long Run
20. After the Thrill is Gone

Allons-y! :)

Shadowland07
11-02-2010, 07:08 PM
I can sorta see the Kings of Leon doing a cover of "Out of Control"

Shadowland07
11-02-2010, 08:37 PM
I can also see The Black Keys doing "Witchy Woman."

Shadowland07
11-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Desperado by Bruce Springsteen, that ought to curl some hair......although he does have that raspy voice that would go ok with this song.

This is hard...for me anyway.

It is hard. I think it's because we're all used to hearing the Eagles sing these songs and its hard picturing other people singing these song. I can honestly see Ray LaMontagne singing "Doolin' Dalton" or "Best of My Love"

Freypower
11-02-2010, 10:46 PM
I know that Neil Diamond covers Desperado on his new album. I don't have a clue about this sort of thing. Perhaps I could allow myself some self-indulgence and pretend the following could occur:

Tequila Sunrise or The Sad Cafe - Mark Knopfler
Heartache Tonight or The Long Run - Robert Plant
After The Thrill Is Gone - Elton John
Witchy Woman - Stevie Wonder
Take It To The Limit - Van Morrison
Best Of My Love - Paul McCartney

That's me sorted!

Shadowland07
11-02-2010, 10:50 PM
I was thinking Paul McCartney could do "Pretty Maids All In a Row"

Freypower
11-02-2010, 10:55 PM
I was thinking Paul McCartney could do "Pretty Maids All In a Row"

I guess it doesn't matter but ABM did state that tracks should be limited to the two Greatest Hits CDs.

However I agree that McCartney probably would do that song well.

Shadowland07
11-02-2010, 11:00 PM
sorry my bad lol. In that case though I think Fleet Foxes could do "Lyin Eyes."

Shadowland07
11-02-2010, 11:12 PM
ok here's my list:
The Black Keys - Witchy Woman
Fleet Foxes - Lyin Eyes
Ray LaMontagne - Best of My Love
Tom Petty - Already Gone
Coldplay - Take It To the Limit
Jason Mraz or Jack Johnson - Peaceful Easy Feeling
John Mayer (as much as I hate him) - One of These Nights
She & Him - The Sad Cafe
Kings of Leon - Victim of Love
Wilco - Take It Easy
Damon Albarn (of blur and Gorillaz) - After the Thrill is Gone

Freypower
11-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Your list is great, I'm not familiar with Knopfler's voice, but Stevie Wonder for Witchy Woman is a really good choice. Yes, Petty has the country rock type of voice for AG.

Shadow, that is the kind of song McCartney can handle. Just can't picture anyone but Joe doing the Joe songs:hilarious:.

And that's all my tiny, little-used brain can contribute to this.

You may not know his solo work but you may have heard some Dire Straits songs like Sultans Of Swing & Money For Nothing.

Glennhoney
11-03-2010, 05:00 PM
....I was thinking David Grey could do something like "Peaceful Easy Feeling" in his own special way...

..c'est ca, on est parti!!!!

TimothyBFan
11-04-2010, 07:27 AM
I can also see The Black Keys doing "Witchy Woman."

Oooooh!!! LOVE this idea!!!

Great thread AM. I will need to think about this and get back with it.

AmarilloByMorning
11-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Freypower, I love love love Stevie Wonder for Witchy Woman! Oooh, that'd be #1 on my iPod, easily.

Shadowland, Damon Albarn for Thrill – what an interesting choice; I love blur, and bet he could pull it off. Can’t get on board with the John Mayer concept, though. I don’t want that thing anywhere near my favorite Eagles song. J

Thanks Willie! I'm so glad you guys seem to enjoy the concept as much as I do!

Btw, I inserted the track listing as an attempt to keep the undertaking manageable, not impose constraints – so, if you’re feeling ambitious, have at it.

I wish I had a greater familiarity with some of these artists…. Definitely going to have to enlist the assistance of youtube to keep up with everyone!

sodascouts
11-04-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm going to have to give some thought to this, too. Great ideas!

AmarilloByMorning
11-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Holllllly cow soda is that a rockin' picture of Glenn. I'm positively flustered. :hilarious:

pueblo47
11-04-2010, 08:18 PM
This is pathetic but so far all I can say is

Heartache Tonight - Foreigner
Lyin' Eyes - Country Joe McDonald and the Fish
Desperado - Rod Stewart
One Of These Nights - Four Seasons
Best Of My Love -Brooks and Dunn
New Kid In Town - Garth Brooks
I Can't Tell You Why - Toby Keith
Tequila Sunrise - Air Supply
After The Thrill Is Gone - John Mellencamp
7 Bridges Road - Statler Brothers
Life In The Fast Lane - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Take It Easy - Dwight Yoakam
Hotel California - Elton John
Already Gone - Journey
Sad Cafe - Cold Play
Long Run - Wilco
TITTL - Buffalo Springfield
PEF - Jay Black
Victim Of Love - Brad Paisley

Notice that my choices, for some odd reason, are leaning hard to country???? Anyway, this is my choice, what I'd like to hear. :hilarious:

Freypower
11-04-2010, 08:33 PM
I think those are interesting choices, Pueblo.

I am not sure Desperado would be right for Rod Stewart. I think he would be better with a song like The Sad Cafe or Take It To The Limit. He could probably also do Victim Of Love.

I didn't try & do a full list. I should say though that most of my choices were English (or Irish - Van) - I notice that my only American choice, Stevie Wonder, received positive comments.

The Eagles are after all the quintessential American band & I should have chosen more American artists. I would suggest that James Taylor or Art Garfunkel could do the sacred New Kid In Town. Paul Simon could do I Can't Tell You Why (if you know Something So Right from There Goes Rhymin' Simon you may understand this choice).

I wouldn't choose Bruce Springsteen for any of these songs except perhaps Life In The Fast Lane. He's East Coast, the Eagles are West Coast.

Another hero of mine, although also very East Coast, Billy Joel, could perhaps do One Of These Nights.

I haven't chosen anyone for Lyin' Eyes because I am afraid I cannot envisage the thought of anyone else singing it. Although I feel that way about NKIT, I could deal with it if it were done properly (I didn't suggest Knopfler for it because he hasn't got the range).

What about Glenn's old mate Bob Seger? Heartache Tonight is too obvious (he co-wrote it) but he probably could do a good Best Of My Love (think of The Famous Final Scene, anyone who knows that).

pueblo47
11-04-2010, 08:42 PM
I just had a hard time thinking of anyone else besides the Common Thread country artists doing it, the Eagles are just stuck in my mind on these songs. The other tenor bands like Journey and the Four Seasons, maybe Foreigner, could maybe pull it off to my satisfaction.

Stevie Wonder is still a great pick. Rod Stewart came to mind because of his raspy voice, rather than the Boss.

Glenn's songs are strictly HIS songs, no one else can really do them with the same feeling.

Freypower
11-04-2010, 09:02 PM
But you could say that about Don too. I really wouldn't want to hear anyone else sing Hotel California. I have heard Glenn sing Life In The Fast Lane. I thought he did a good job.

EaglesFanatic
11-04-2010, 09:38 PM
This is pathetic but so far all I can say is

Heartache Tonight - Foreigner

Life In The Fast Lane - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

:nod: I agree with these two. Interesting thread... I find this really hard, because as I think a couple of you have said, we're used to hearing The Eagles sing these songs all the time. I'm still thinking about who I would choose... :headscratch:

sodascouts
11-05-2010, 03:33 AM
OK, I decided to really go "out there" with this. Keep in mind all songs covered by females will have altered lyrics when appropriate. ;) Also, obviously, many of these would not be "straight up" covers but would be reworked to suit the artist.

1. Take It Easy - Keith Urban
2. Witchy Woman - Maroon 5
3. Lyin’ Eyes - Chris Isaak
4. Already Gone - Sheryl Crow
5. Desperado - Sarah McLachlan
6. One of These Nights - Coldplay
7. Tequila Sunrise - Nickelback
8. Take it to the Limit - Train
9. Peaceful Easy Feeling - George Strait
10. Best of My Love - U2

11. Hotel California - Evanescence
12. Heartache Tonight - Bruce Springsteen
13. Seven Bridges Road - Little Big Town
14. Victim of Love - Green Day
15. Sad Café - Dave Matthews Band
16. Life in the Fast Lane - Foo Fighters
17. I Can’t Tell You Why - Matchbox 20
18. New Kid in Town - Daughtry
19. Long Run - Fleetwood Mac
20. After the Thrill is Gone - John Mayer

Prettymaid
11-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Wow Soda, you're pretty good at this. I can actually hear some of your picks in my head!

AmarilloByMorning
11-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Ooooh, soda I love George Strait on Peaceful Easy Feeling! He has that thick, meandering voice that would kind of settle over the lyrics. I can hear that, right now!

FP - Paul Simon would knock ICTYW out of the park. That's a bang-on choice. I also like James Taylor for NKIT, though the key change might push him a bit.

Given Turn the Page and Hollywood Nights, I believe Bob Seger would completely rock Life in the Fast Lane. His voice has that unique blend of world-weary haggard edges with a strong center, and certainly could offer a performance based on experience.

I'm still holding out on One of These Nights. Who can flip into a feathery falsetto but maintain the driving undercurrent of the verses?

I haven't seen Jackson Browne appear anywhere...? I suppose his style really isn't amenable to anything on the lineup.

TimothyBFan
11-05-2010, 01:45 PM
I have been racking my brain all morning and I cannot come up with even one of these!!! :eyebrow: I'm not kidding--I'm just not seeing anyone else sing these songs. I will admit some of the ideas you guys have thrown around are good but I don't know.....:shrug:

Prettymaid
11-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Me neither. I'm not good at lists, and apparently I'm not good at this! But I like reading everyone else's.

GlennLover
11-05-2010, 01:52 PM
I have been racking my brain all morning and I cannot come up with even one of these!!! :eyebrow: I'm not kidding--I'm just not seeing anyone else sing these songs. I will admit some of the ideas you guys have thrown around are good but I don't know.....:shrug:

I've got the same problem, but I'm having fun reading everyone else's choices. :)

AmarilloByMorning
11-05-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm keeping a list by cherrypicking from everyone else's suggestions... :)

sodascouts
11-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Ooooh, soda I love George Strait on Peaceful Easy Feeling! He has that thick, meandering voice that would kind of settle over the lyrics. I can hear that, right now!

I knew you would like that one - probably the "safest" of my choices though.

And thanks, PM! That's what I was doing when I came up with the list! Some of them would definitely require a different arrangement from the original though!

Freypower
11-07-2010, 06:29 PM

FP - Paul Simon would knock ICTYW out of the park. That's a bang-on choice. I also like James Taylor for NKIT, though the key change might push him a bit.

Given Turn the Page and Hollywood Nights, I believe Bob Seger would completely rock Life in the Fast Lane. His voice has that unique blend of world-weary haggard edges with a strong center, and certainly could offer a performance based on experience.

I'm still holding out on One of These Nights. Who can flip into a feathery falsetto but maintain the driving undercurrent of the verses?

I haven't seen Jackson Browne appear anywhere...? I suppose his style really isn't amenable to anything on the lineup.

Jackson Browne - Take It Easy.....:twisted:

When I suggested Billy Joel for OOTN I was thinking that he would not actually do the falsetto parts at all if he were to make the song his own. He can do high notes (see An Innocent Man) and he can vamp a bit in his own style.