PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Eagles Studio Albums

WalshFan88
03-22-2011, 01:37 PM
I just did a search and couldn't find anything like what I'm about to post so I thought I'd open a new thread. Now I fully admit I'm not real great with search engines - I can never seem to find what I'm looking for! :D

Because of the On The Border album thread I thought it would be interesting if everyone listed their favorite Eagles albums (studio) starting with your favorite to your LEAST favorite. Here is mine!

1. Hotel California (not just my favorite Eagles album but my favorite album of all time and song of all time)
2. The Long Run (this was a hard choice but I really love the rockin' songs on this one)
3. On The Border (Love Felder's guitar licks in this one and the more ROCK and less country)
4. One Of These Nights (Again, I love Felder's guitars in this one and the harder edged songs)
5. Eagles (I like this one, but I prefer their stuff afterwards. Most of it is a bit too 'country' for me. I love TIE, PEF, and WW off of this one though)
6. Long Road Out Of Eden (GREAT album, love How Long and Guilty Of The Crime especially, but I prefer their older stuff but I still love this album)
7. Desperado (Now I hope not to offend anyone but I am just not a fan of this album at all. I just can't click with it. It is their most 'country' album)

So my favorite is Hotel California and my least favorite is Desperado. I encourage everyone to play along as I am curious to see how people would rate the studio albums. :)

Scarlet Sun
03-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Mine is simple - the chronological line runs downwards with no exceptions

whitcap
03-22-2011, 03:18 PM
1. On the Border (My favorite album. As I stated in the On the Border thread I absolutely love every song on this album.)
2. Eagles and Desperado (Both albums are great. I love all of the songs on these albums although I love some of the songs more than others. I couldn't rank either of these albums above or below one another.)
3. One of These Nights (Some great songs on this one too.)
4. The Long Run (This album has grown on me over time. Its got some great songs on it.)
5. Hotel California (I like the songs on this album. As a whole I prefer their other 70s albums though.)
6. Long Road Out of Eden (Lots of good songs on this album. While I like this album, I just prefer the bands older stuff.)

Brooke
03-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Well WF, we did this a few years ago here, https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235

but there are lots of new members since then and I'd love to hear everyone's comments again. I know my thoughts have probably changed since then!

Here's what I thought back in January of 2007!

#1- Desperado. I just love the whole album. The only song I don't love is Bitter Creek and I can listen to it without skipping it. Very favorite song overall is Desperado and I wish Don would sing it like he used to and not be so dramatic with it.

#2-Hotel California. I love every song on it, but it only has 8, so Desperado beats it out with 11 songs. Favorite overall song is HC.

#3-On the Border. I love 6 of the 10 songs on this one. You Never Cry like a Lover and Midnight Flyer I don't care for and My Man and On the Border are just ok. Two favorites here, Already Gone (rocks) and Best Of My Love (Don's soulful voice).

#4-One of These Nights. 5 songs I love here, OOTN, Hollywood Waltz, Lyin' Eyes, Take it to the Limit, and After the Thrill is Gone. The others, I don't care for at all. Overall favorite-OOTN-that raspy voice again! And that air intake he does-

#5-Eagles. 4 wonderful songs for me on this one, Take It Easy-the anthem, Witchy Woman, Peaceful Easy Feeling, and Tryin. 4 are ok, Nightingale, Train Leaves Here This Morning, Chug All Night ( ), and Take the Devil. I skip Most of Us Are Sad, and Earlybird. (The chirping drives me crazy!) Most favorite is Take It Easy! I just love the very first chords and it's a feel good song. Glenn's voice on PEF is soooooo sweet, too, and I fell in love with Don's voice on Witchy Woman back in the day! I thought off the top of my head this would be my favorite album, but when I actually counted the favorite songs here's where it wound up! Who knew?!

#6-The Long Run. I knew off the top of my head this was my least favorite album, but when I tallied them up, it almost tied with #5! But it has more songs on it that I skip! It's my least played album. I love The Long Run, ICTYW, In the City, and Heartache Tonight. I won't go in to the others since were doing the game in the other thread! My overall favorite here is Heartache Tonight. Love Glenn's "break my heart" part!

I'm really confused now!

I'm going to have to think this over and see if I still feel the same way! I was already shocked that Desperado was my #1 pick! :rolleyes:

Freypower
03-22-2011, 05:58 PM
This is what I wrote:

1. It's still Hotel California, although there are far too many lead vocals by Henley, and the over-production on Wasted Time and The Last Resort has not aged well. For NKIT, Glenn's finest hour, and LITFL, probably the best summary of a lifestyle ever, it is beyond essential. There is nothing left to say about the title track and PMAIAR and TALA are two of the band's finest works, which showcase everyone in the band.

2. On The Border - Because Glenn is most prominent. I admit that honestly. He shines throughout in GDIH, AG, Ol'55 and James Dean. The title track and BOML are classic Henley and Meisner's contributions are useful, although he did better. Throw in Leadon's beautiful My Man and you have a classic album which is growing better with age.

3. The Long Run - I still think this album is a more gritty, realistic portrayal of life in late 70s LA than anyone else except perhaps Warren Zevon managed, but only a handful of tracks stand out - Heartache Tonight, The Sad Cafe, King Of Hollywood and Those Shoes. I find most of it quirky and challenging, including the songs we're not supposed to like, but I think the title track has not aged well.

4. Desperado - This is perfect, for the most part and has the best songs by Leadon and Meisner. Glenn and Don really come into their own as a singing and songwriting team here. The only song which to me doesn't stand up to close scrutiny is Saturday Night (too schmaltzy for me).

5. Eagles - standard country rock, but take away the three 'big' songs and Train Leaves Here This Morning, and it's not that good, frankly. If it has a 'sleeper' it's probably Take The Devil. Chug All Night is not politically correct but it's fun. They weren't like that for long.

6. One Of These Nights - three massive, memorable classics and the rest of it is frankly extremely ordinary. I am not one of those who sighs over After The Thrill Is Gone, and Too Many Hands is not quite right (I've never worked out why it's not right, perhaps it's the title I don't like). The least said about Felder and Leadon's tracks, the better.

This is still my ranking except that Long Road Out Of Eden ranks second. Why? Because they proved they could still do it; a couple of the songs rank as amongst their finest ever (I say the title track; others will say WITW). I have reservations; there is too much use of outside songwriters (including Souther & Tempchin) and there is insufficient information on who actually plays on the tracks.

Ive always been a dreamer
03-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Actually, there is even a more recent thread on this topic from a couple of years ago. If I had seen this new thread earlier, I would have merged them, but I'm going to go ahead and leave them separate now since there would be a lot of repetition. Here is the link:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1416&highlight=favorite

I'm copying what I wrote back then and surprisingly, I have not changed my mind at all. Here is what I wrote verbatim ...

Okay - I'm cheating a bit. I'm actually copying most of this over from a very old thread that we had when the board first started. I made a few changes - I switched the order of On the Border and One of These Nights, and also added The Long Road Out of Eden. However, I was surprised to find that my opinions have hardly changed at all. Let me preface my rankings by saying that I think all of the band's albums are excellent - there just aren't any bad ones, which is probably why I think they are America's greatest band.

1. Hotel California - I guess this is an obvious choice. This is a classic conceptual album with 8 exceptional songs. Each song is very different, yet fits perfectly into the theme of the album. The album also does an exceptional job of showcasing the talents of the individual band members, IMO. I also don't think you can ignore the social significance of this masterpiece.

2. Desperado - Same as HC comments. This is an exceptional piece of work, but some of the songs are not quite as strong as HC. I believe the reason the album was not as commercially successful as the others is simply because it was considered too country for rock and too rock for country.

3. On The Border - Overall a great underrated album. I don't think there is really a bad song on it. It is one of my favorites to listen to from start to finish, and I rarely ever skip any of the songs.

4. Long Road Out of Eden - I think this album stands up well against the band's earlier work. It has some very strong songs, and I particularly like the variety of the material on the album. While some say this causes the album to lose some of its cohesiveness, I think the variety showcases the band's versatility. The standout tracks for me are How Long, What Do I Do With My Heart, Waiting In the Weeds, No More Cloudy Days, Do Something, You Are Not Alone, Long Road Out of Eden, I Dreamed There Was No War, Somebody, Last Good Time In Town, I Love To Watch A Woman Dance, and Business As Usual. Hmmm - not much left out, was it.

5. One of These Nights - I chose this next based on the strength of the 4 hit songs. However, I don't consider Journey of the Sorcerer, Visions, or I Wish You Peace to be among the band's best work.

6. The Long Run - The hardest choice of all for me was deciding between these last two. It is probably a virtual tie for me. Both albums had three very strong hits, and I can't decide which are the strongest. Heartache Tonight is probably the best of all of them, although TIE and PEF are hard to snub. WW, TLR, and ICTYW can't be snubbed either though - they are all great. I also think King of Hollywood, Those Shoes, and The Sad Cafe are all very good underrated songs as well, which would seem to give the edge to TLR, and 'Greeks' is just fun. However, then there is the matter of Disco Strangler and Teenage Jail, which are probably among my least favorites of all of their songs.

7. Eagles - See TLR comments. After the three strong hits mentioned above, the rest of the album is very pleasant and easy on the ears. However, I don't think there are any real standout tracks, except for one. I'm now ready for you all to throw things at me - BUT - I love Chug All Night. I don't know why, but I love the tempo and the 'visions' it leaves you with. It's not a great song, but it's raw and sexy, and it rocks.

Austin - I meant to mention this in another thread recently, but never got around to it. While I totally agree with you about Hotel California, as you can see, Desperado is my second favorite album. Again, I guess this helps explain why I love this band so much. Anything they do pretty much works for me!

WalshFan88
03-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Sorry Dreamer... Like I said, I did a search and went through about 6 pages and couldn't find a thing. Also like I said, I flat out SUCK at doing searches. I can never find what I'm looking for. That goes for Google searches too. :lol:

You can feel free to delete the thread if it's too redundant.

03-22-2011, 07:09 PM
No! No! No! - I was actually editing my post while you were responding, but this is fine to leave it. I'm glad you started it because people who weren't members back then get a chance to respond. It's always interesting to hear from everyone.

Freypower
03-22-2011, 07:15 PM
This is what I wrote in the more recent thread (thanks to Dreamer for the link):

1. Hotel California - but mainly now for sentimental reasons. The title track, New Kid In Town and Life In The Fast Lane are such wonderful songs and such a fantastic opening sequence, especially with the introduction of Joe, that you're left overwhelmed. I used to also be overwhelmed by Wasted Time, but I now find it too long, and as with The Last Resort, too Henley-centric. I still think the lyrics of The Last Resort are near the top of Henley's work but he said himself the music could have been better. I love Victim Of Love. it's very clever and the accusations of 'misogynist' hurled at it don't stand up. As with Lyin' Eyes, it is telling the truth. Pretty Maids All In A Row and Try And Love Again are the album's hidden gems which move back from the 'cinematic' feel to make the album seem more personal. Every member of the band does get to shine somewhere along the line, although Don is extremely dominant.

2. Long Road Out Of Eden - I have been waiting for this to start to pall and it hasn't. There are a couple of weaker tracks - I am not a fan of I Don't Want To Hear Any More or Guilty Of The Crime, although I think both are necessary to the album as a whole, and my opinion of Last Good Time In Town varies. I think it's innovative and I have to applaud the band for that. For the title track alone to me this album rates as almost the best work the band has done. I know most people feel this about Waiting In The Weeds, a song which I am still learning to love and which is certainly very accomplished. I think the majority of Don's 'social criticism' songs are great - both Frail Grasp and Business As Usual are real 'Eagles' songs. Do Something is moving and timely. No More Walks In The Wood is awesome. As for Glenn's songs I cannot help myself. To have him return to his deserved place is all I wanted. To throw in not one but TWO duets with Don is more than I could have hoped for. I know it isn't popular, but the more I hear I Love To Watch A Woman Dance, the higher it rates with me, as do You Are Not Alone and It's Your World Now. My opinion of No More Cloudy Days is well known. As for Somebody - I've been waiting for it for years.

3. On The Border - for sheer consistency and variety this does it for me, with the exception of You Never Cry Like A Lover and Midnight Flyer (and I'm afraid I think Best Of My Love is somewhat overrated). Glenn shines here. I would not swap Good Day In Hell, James Dean, Ol '55 or Already Gone for anything and I love the title track and My Man. Is It True is underrated.

4. The Long Run - almost level with On The Border but it is let down by a couple of the tracks on Side 2, although I am actually fond of those. Not enough Glenn STILL, despite the anthemic Heartache Tonight. I love King Of Hollywood and The Sad Cafe (the dark side of LA, indeed). I think the title track hasn't aged well but I Can't Tell You Why is still good.

5. Desperado - starts brilliantly but tails off on Side 2. I cannot claim that Twenty-One or Saturday Night are great Eagles songs. Certain Kind Of Fool is the 'sleeper' of this album. My favourites are Tequila Sunrise, Out Of Control and Outlaw Man. I love Doolin-Dalton but I don't think the reprise works as well as it should. The concept of it is very well executed but somehow it is hard to love.

6. Eagles - perfect country rock album, but not very deep. Because of Take It Easy, Witchy Woman and Peaceful Easy Feeling it is hard to criticise but a couple of tracks, Nightingale and Earlybird, are fairly ordinary.

7. One Of These Nights - take away the Big Three and there is not much left. I still maintain that Lyin' Eyes is an absolute masterpiece - but on the same album as Visions and I Wish You Peace? How did that happen? I feel much more positive about Journey of the Sorcerer than I used to, I will say that.

Maleah
03-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Well I participated in the thread that Brooke linked too and this was my ranking back then

1. Hotel California - pretty much for all the reasons you stated. I think it has the strongest group of songs on it.

2. One of These Nights - The title song is so good that it pretty much makes the album for me. There are other ones I like......but OOTN is fantastic.

3. Desperado - Strong album with one of the greatest Eagles classics

4. The Long Run - It always kind of seems like everyone's let down with this one after the HC album.....but I love it! I love the title song a lot! It's very catchy.

5. On The Border - like you said, an all around great album. I happen to think the title song is probably one of the most underrated Eagles songs (If an eagles song can be underrated lol).

6. Eagles - it feels wrong to put any Eagles album in "last" place. lol But I love all of them so much.......that it just kind of fell in this order. But in all honesty, after "HC"...........they could all be tied or switch spots.

however, I think if I were to rank them now it would be:

1. Hotel California - so many great songs! It contains many of my favorites

2. The Long Run - I know a lot of people consider it a weak album but the strong ones are REALLY strong imo. Again, contains quite a few of my favorites.

3. One Of These Nights

4. Long Road Out Of Eden

5. On The Border

6. Eagles

7. Desperado

Don't ask me how Desperado dropped from #3 to last. lol I really don't know other than since this thread is favorite studio albums, I guess I really considered which albums had my favorite songs on them. lol

Koala
03-23-2011, 02:42 AM
At the moment my ranking is as follows:

#1 On The Border
#2 Long Road Out Of Eden
#3 One of These Nights
#4 Hotel California
#5 Desperado
#6 The Long Run
#7 Eagles

TimothyBFan
03-23-2011, 09:14 AM
It seems I was the one that started the thread Dreamer referred to and here's what I put, tho I didn't actually rank them in order.

OK --Since I started this I should explain a little of why.

I bet for the most part each one of us, when the survivor game is all said and done, will have several different albums we will be trying to save and probably about 1000 different reasons on why. For me there are 2 defining albums - Long Run and LROOE.

I can remember hearing Take It Easy on the radio back in the early 70s and immediately loving it. Of course once I got that single, it lead to the album and the rest, as they say, is history. LOVED everything on that album. Will admit Nightingale and Earlybird didn't do to much for me but I can honestly say it was one of those albums I would play thru more than not, instead of playing only 1 or 2 of the hits on it like you do with most albums.

Again, like Mike said, loved all the albums as they came out and had several songs on each that I really enjoyed, probably the same that most of you do. BUT when HC came out, I was like everyone else! WOW!!!! I actually bought it 2 or 3 times because I wore it out. I wasn't easy on my albums-sorry to say now! Besides they had this new cool guitarist named Joe Walsh that I was mighty fond of. https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/images/smilies/023.gif

But when Long Run came out a few years later it quickly became my favorite. And no, not only because of the new bass player, even tho like I've said before I can remember opening that gatefold and getting my first look at him!! https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/images/smilies/smitten.gifI just remember loving every song on this album. ALL OF THEM!! My favorite was ICTYW but I also remember playing KOH over and over and over. I even remember dancing around my room to Disco Strangler and lets face it Greeks is a catchy little tune also. And for some reason, Teenage Jail really struck me as a great song. Most everyone else was listening to Donny Osmond or something and I was going on and on about this album. Most of my friends thought I was nuts. I just always kinda thought this would always be my favorite Eagles album.

LROOE just happen to come out at just the right time in my life. As clique as it may sound, this album came to me just when I needed it most. I really love the music---every last song on it (some a lot more than others) but it happen to come out when my life seemed to be spiralling out of control with things that I had absolutely no control over. What better way to make things a little better than an album coming out after 27 years from the band you had worshipped for basically your whole life. I had preordered it and remember going to the post office and picking it up. I listened to both discs all the way thru not once but twice that first afternoon. Trip after trip after trip in my car taking care of everything I needed to do trying to keep things together at that time and for the next year as things just kept happening one thing after another with my loved ones--LROOE was one of the constant stable things for me. I spent many hours singing along to How Long and BBF, crying for no apparent reason when WITW or Do Something would come on, and dancing in the drivers seat to Fast Company or Guilty of The Crime. Top it off--this is the tour that I finally got to see them at. It just will always be the favorite Eagles album for me.

For me, it's not just about the music always. I have always had sentimental reasons for loving the music I do also. Maybe silly, but that's just the way it is for me. It's a much bigger picture sometimes.

And since I didn't actually rank them---here's how it goes:

1. The Long Run
2. Long Road Out Of Eden
3. One Of These Nights
4.Hotel California
5. On The Border
6. Eagles
7. Desperado

Brooke
03-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Here's what I thought back in January of 2007!

#1- Desperado. I just love the whole album. The only song I don't love is Bitter Creek and I can listen to it without skipping it. Very favorite song overall is Desperado and I wish Don would sing it like he used to and not be so dramatic with it.

#2-Hotel California. I love every song on it, but it only has 8, so Desperado beats it out with 11 songs. Favorite overall song is HC.

#3-On the Border. I love 6 of the 10 songs on this one. You Never Cry like a Lover and Midnight Flyer I don't care for and My Man and On the Border are just ok. Two favorites here, Already Gone (rocks) and Best Of My Love (Don's soulful voice).

Note-I like YNCLAL and OTB better now. And AG needs to be played in concert!

#4-One of These Nights. 5 songs I love here, OOTN, Hollywood Waltz, Lyin' Eyes, Take it to the Limit, and After the Thrill is Gone. The others, I don't care for at all. Overall favorite-OOTN-that raspy voice again! And that air intake he does- :sigh:

#5-Eagles. 4 wonderful songs for me on this one, Take It Easy-the anthem, Witchy Woman, Peaceful Easy Feeling, and Tryin. 4 are ok, Nightingale, Train Leaves Here This Morning, Chug All Night ( ), and Take the Devil. I skip Most of Us Are Sad, and Earlybird. (The chirping drives me crazy!) Most favorite is Take It Easy! I just love the very first chords and it's a feel good song. Glenn's voice on PEF is soooooo sweet, too, and I fell in love with Don's voice on Witchy Woman back in the day! I thought off the top of my head this would be my favorite album, but when I actually counted the favorite songs here's where it wound up! Who knew?!

#6-The Long Run. I knew off the top of my head this was my least favorite album, but when I tallied them up, it almost tied with #5! But it has more songs on it that I skip! It's my least played album. I love The Long Run, ICTYW, In the City, and Heartache Tonight. I won't go in to the others since were doing the game in the other thread! My overall favorite here is Heartache Tonight. Love Glenn's "break my heart" part!

I'm going to have to think this over and see if I still feel the same way! I was already shocked that Desperado was my #1 pick! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm shocked, but after thinking about it my list from then still stands!

I guess I'd add LROOE last. Even though there are several songs on it I love like WITW, COTU, and Somebody. I could make a one cd album from all the songs on the two.

WalshFan88
03-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Very interesting everyone!!!

aivliss
03-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Here is my list, I must probably be the only one to choose The Long Run as first favourite but that's it! Maybe I'll be able to add a few comments later, now just the list:

1. The Long Run
2. Hotel California
3. On The Border
4. Desperado
5. One of these nights
6. THe Eagles
7. The Long Road Out of Eden

tequila girl
03-23-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm afraid there's absolutely no way I could make a list.........I think I loved each of them equally as they were released :smokin: - that's not to say I love every song on every album - I don't :-? ...but when i'm in an "Eagley Mood" I tend to put on everything I have and listen to them all - in no particular order :inlove:

MikeA
03-23-2011, 06:00 PM
I can't even begin to "rank" the Eagles Albums objectively. When I flip on my tunes, I have them set to play randomly and there are very few that I skip.

But I wanted to comment on Brooke's statement about Bitter Creek. That is one of my very favorite Eagles songs <LOL>. But then I like everything on the Desperado album. EVERYTHING! Part of that is the theme nature of it but more than that, it is the musicality of that underrated album that reaches out and grabs me.

I just can't choose between Desperado and Hotel California as to which one is my favorite. I try to be honest with myself and waiver between choosing on what I like best based on the individual songs and Hotel California would take it because of "Hotel California" the song, and the two of Joe's that are on that album.

"Desperado" takes it for the most songs on one album that I like...there simply isn't a single song on that album that I don't like! On Hotel California, I can do without "New Kid in Town". Don't ask me why. It just doesn't trip my switch.

Following HC and Desperado:

I'd probably jumble the rest of the albums in there all pretty much tied for 3rd place maybe with Long Run taking a very slight edge because of "Disco Strangler"...not that I like the song but it just reminds me of how much I didn't like DISCO <LOL>.

The bottom of my list of Eagles releases would be LROE. I just have never gotten into that "release".

tequila girl
03-23-2011, 06:09 PM
The bottom of my list of Eagles releases would be LROE. I just have never gotten into that "release".

Mike a while back I would have agreed with you on that........but I suppose because it was a "new" one I listened over & over again and now i love it just as much as the others!

WalshFan88
03-23-2011, 10:03 PM
This is all very interesting!

But if one thing shocks me the most and I can't lie - it's that how many people like the Desperado album! :o Not that there is anything wrong with people liking it but I just can't click with it at all. It is in my opinion their worst album and by that I mean the one that ranks the very least. But it is the most "country" of all of their albums IMO and I'm not a country fan at all. It's gotta have rock in it for me to like it. Hence why I like On The Border and the albums after it better. Desperado seems like straightforward country music. I'm just a rock guy and would rather crank it and listen to the Hotel California album and play "Life In The Fast Lane" or listen to The Long Run and play "Heartache Tonight". It's just my personality I guess. I like more straightforward Classic Rock. But that's what I like to listen to and what I pretty much grew up hearing in the house. My parents are both rock music people, my Mom preferring 80s hard rock and Dad preferring 70s stuff.

I just can't imagine anyone liking Desperado and not liking Hotel California. Hotel California is "the" Eagles album that really launched them to another level IMO. It also is the signature Eagles song. Whenever I mention the Eagles to someone, the first thing they talk about is HC. I for one appreciated the move from country rock to more classic rock with the release of Hotel California and addition of Joe Walsh and DEFINITELY on The Long Run. But I'm a rock lover and country fans may not feel the same! :D That's understandable. But it's just a little shocking to me!

pueblo47
03-23-2011, 10:27 PM
I just can't imagine anyone liking Desperado and not liking Hotel California.I don't recall anyone saying that.

WalshFan88
03-23-2011, 10:35 PM
I don't recall anyone saying that.

Well I'm going by the rankings. Let's not be so by-the-book and facts driven! I was just making an observation based on people's input. That's all! :thumbsup:

It's no big deal, I'm not saying it's bad! I just find it interesting! :) I come from a rock background though and I like rock music. I find country music that is straightforward to be not my cup of tea. I like the On the Border album A LOT because of the addition of Felder and he rocked it up. Then when they added Joe they REALLY rocked it up and that's what I love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ygI3BZxdCY

:nahnah:

pueblo47
03-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Most of us in here appreciate the evolution from the early country rock to the present rockier country rock. And we swing with the band member changes. Some of us prefer the early beginnings of their career, some of us prefer the present, all of us accept the band in all of its forms, past and present.:hilarious:

WalshFan88
03-23-2011, 10:52 PM
I didn't say I didn't accept the earlier stuff. I like "Eagles". But I don't like Desperado. What's so wrong with that?!?!

I just PREFER Hotel California and The Long Run. Even I love On The Border and One Of These Nights. I like Long Road Out Of Eden. There is only one Eagles album I dislike - and that is Desperado. I'm not saying everyone has to love HC. I'm just saying I find all of this very interesting - that's all.

And even though you probably don't think so - the current lineup isn't my favorite. My favorite Eagles lineup is the Hotel California lineup! ;)

:hilarious:

Freypower
03-23-2011, 10:53 PM
For what it's worth, I think a couple of tracks on Desperado are more rock than country. They are Out Of Control, Outlaw Man & Certain Kind Of Fool.

It's important to remember that everyone's preferences are their own and we are all entitled to them.

WalshFan88
03-23-2011, 10:59 PM
It's important to remember that everyone's preferences are their own and we are all entitled to them.

I never bashed anyone's opinion. In fact I was misunderstood and I even said "Not that it's bad, it's just that I find it very interesting) regarding people liking Desperado. I have nothing against anyone's preferences. All I was trying to say is that I really like reading all of this as it's very interesting to read what each person ranks as first and what order they are in.

WalshFan88
03-23-2011, 11:01 PM
I don't recall saying YOU didn't accept the earlier stuff. Heh heh heh, you can have the last word in this debate. I got my comments in and that's all that counts(in my book):thumbsup:

Oh. The way I read your previous comment was that you thought I was "dissing" (for lack of a better word) the early band lineup and music.

WalshFan88
03-23-2011, 11:21 PM
I like to talk - I have a lot to say. I'm an outspoken individual what can I say! Hehehehehe! :hilarious: :partytime:

WalshFan88
03-23-2011, 11:26 PM
:hilarious:

MikeA
03-23-2011, 11:28 PM
I think there are two quintessential albums by the Eagles.

"Desperado" was their best work prior to their transition into a heavier Rockier group. That statement is NOT substantiated by record sales or in fact by most people's opinions. But it is with no reservations on my part, the most underrated album I think they've launched to date.

Desperado never made it above #41 on the charts while the next worst charting album was their self-titled first release which charted at #22. Yet in sales, Desperado went double Platnium in the US while "Eagles" only went Platnium. I've never understood that. It had two really popular songs on it too: "Tequila Sunrise" and "Desperado". It really should have ranked better than it did. It is truly an enigma.

So, I guess confessing that "Desperado" is one the two favorites by the group and one of my favorite albums of ANY group really shows my esoteric tastes in music!

"Hotel California" was their peak as a Rock Band. I doubt that statement will garner any objections. I like most of the work on that album and dearly love it because it brought Walsh back with a BANG! I really feared that he might not pull through all the trauma of the early Seventies he'd been through. I didn't feel as though I "knew him" back then other than through speculation. But he had released a couple of my favorites during that time....Barnstorm and So What. But to have him join the Eagles and join in on their hottest album to date was awesome!

I've said it before in about a hundred different contexts, comparing the two "stages" of Eagles evolution is like comparing one genre to another. Even the band members were changing.

I just don't see the discrepancy. I guess I just have a broader appreciation of where they've been and where they've gone. It's ALL GOOD.

I didn't see the Eagles when Leadon was plucking the strings and singing and I would now dearly love to experience that! I was fortunate to see them once on the Hotel California tour with Randy Meisner.

WalshFan88
03-24-2011, 12:00 AM
Cool Mike.

I have nothing against the early stuff in the early days. I just prefer the Hotel California album and lineup. It's very special for me (you know why) and has my favorite Eagles songs on it. That album will always be my favorite album of ANY artist of all time and the title track is my favorite song of ANY artist of all time as well. Also my favorite guitar solo on the title track of all time.

Freypower
03-24-2011, 12:02 AM
And from me too. :applause: (Congratulations on 1500).

WalshFan88
03-24-2011, 12:07 AM
And from me too. :applause: (Congratulations on 1500).

Thanks! :) It feels good to be "Stuck On The Border". :hilarious:

tequila girl
03-24-2011, 04:36 AM
Congratulations from me too Austin! :yay::thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
03-24-2011, 07:42 AM
Here is my list, I must probably be the only one to choose The Long Run as first favourite but that's it! Maybe I'll be able to add a few comments later, now just the list:

1. The Long Run
2. Hotel California
3. On The Border
4. Desperado
5. One of these nights
6. THe Eagles
7. The Long Road Out of Eden

Nope---Check out my list...The Long Run s right there at the very top, by a landslide for me!!!

I didn't say I didn't accept the earlier stuff. I like "Eagles". But I don't like Desperado. What's so wrong with that?!?!

I just PREFER Hotel California and The Long Run. Even I love On The Border and One Of These Nights. I like Long Road Out Of Eden. There is only one Eagles album I dislike - and that is Desperado. I'm not saying everyone has to love HC. I'm just saying I find all of this very interesting - that's all.

And even though you probably don't think so - the current lineup isn't my favorite. My favorite Eagles lineup is the Hotel California lineup! :wink:

You had me pretty much in total agreement....up till your last paragraph! :fingerwag:

I think there are two quintessential albums by the Eagles.

"Desperado" was their best work prior to their transition into a heavier Rockier group. That statement is NOT substantiated by record sales or in fact by most people's opinions. But it is with no reservations on my part, the most underrated album I think they've launched to date.

Desperado never made it above #41 on the charts while the next worst charting album was their self-titled first release which charted at #22. Yet in sales, Desperado went double Platnium in the US while "Eagles" only went Platnium. I've never understood that. It had two really popular songs on it too: "Tequila Sunrise" and "Desperado". It really should have ranked better than it did. It is truly an enigma.

So, I guess confessing that "Desperado" is one the two favorites by the group and one of my favorite albums of ANY group really shows my esoteric tastes in music!

I have to admit I'm surprised to see this coming from you. You've been so adamant about disliking country and to me Desperado and Tequila Sunrise are 2 that are about as close as you can come to country. For some reason, I just kind of figured you to be more Hotel California or Long Run also.

I'm afraid I am also in the mold of one that just doesn't see where Desperado was one of their best. It has always been my least favorite.

MikeA
03-24-2011, 08:13 AM
I'm afraid I am also in the mold of one that just doesn't see where Desperado was one of their best. It has always been my least favorite.

You are definitely in the majority Willie. Didn't do well on the charts and neither of the singles released from it did well (21 and Tequila Sunrise). Desperado was popular from the concerts.

Eventually the album sold well, but not at first.

I think of Desperado more as Bluegrass than Country....maybe Grass-Rock? I handle Bluegrass better than Country. All that flat-pickin'....chicken-pickin'. It's sort of the equivalent of Shredding in Electric playing but on an acoustic.

Maybe it is because the Dalton Gang was so prominent here in Kansas and I knew quite a bit about them and the album loosely documents their misadventures.

Or maybe it is the string work that Leadon came up with for the album.

Or I thought of the lyrics sort of spoke of my own feelings and situations a bit as a young person. I just don't know.

Tequila Sunrise even pleases me. Can't justify it Willie. Just one of them left-field thangs I guess.

Just ain't no explaining the musical tastes of an eccentric!

WalshFan88
03-24-2011, 09:45 AM
TBF - Would it make you feel better if I told you that TLR lineup is a close 2nd fav for me? I would have quoted you but I'm on my phone and its too hard! :hilarious:

03-24-2011, 12:44 PM
As we always say, whether or not someone likes something is a matter of personal preference and I would never question that. But I would have to take issue with anyone who said that any Eagles album is a bad album. However, when disagreeing with one another, let's refrain from name-calling. Not only does it come across as a bit sophomoric, but it's hard for some of us to tell whether folks are joking or serious.

I've said it before in about a hundred different contexts, comparing the two "stages" of Eagles evolution is like comparing one genre to another. Even the band members were changing.

I just don't see the discrepancy. I guess I just have a broader appreciation of where they've been and where they've gone. It's ALL GOOD.

Mike - I feel exactly the same way. As I said earlier, my two favorite Eagles albums are Hotel California and Desperado. I guess it may be somewhat of a dichotomy, but that's the very thing I loved and still love about this band. You don't get the same music over and over - different styles, different singers, different themes - I'm in heaven! :wink:

With regard to Desperado, I don't hear a pure country sound. In my mind, it is country rock. Overall, it may lean a bit more towards country, but only silightly. As FP said, there are some songs on it that are more of a rock sound, too. As I said before - I think part of the reason that it was not an immediate commercial success is because it suffered from an identity crisis - too country for rock and too rock for country. But no matter what you call it, the songs are still REALLY good and that's why it has stood the test of time, IMHO.

Freypower
03-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Don't forget Mr Frey's classic line 'they made a f&*@n' cowboy record, man'!

Desperado is a very mature sounding work for such young men. In fact Bernie emphasises their youth in Twenty-One. Of all their albums this is the one which has grown on me the most.

StephUK
03-26-2011, 05:42 PM
I always loved Desperado, but then I've always been fascination by the 'Outlaws & Cowboys' thing which we used to see a lot of on TV here when I was growing up. My favourite show was Alias Smith & Jones & even though I was fairly young I liked Pete Duel who played Joshua Smith. I was sad when I heard he had committed suiside.
The songs on the album just bring to mind images of the Wild West & the guys looked great in their cowboy gear.

Now I love LROOE so much, possibly more than Desperado.
Although these are my fave albums they don't contain my favourite singles(Take it Easy, Lyin' Eyes & Peaceful Easy Feeling).

StephUK
03-26-2011, 05:45 PM
p.s to my previous post...

I've just remembered that by strange coincidence Pete Duel came from the same city as my darling Will Hollis, Rochester NY.
They produce good looking guys in that city!!!:nod:

sodascouts
03-27-2011, 09:08 PM
I haven't had a chance to read this whole thread, but like other veterans I'll repost mine:

----------------

1. Desperado - it's the only Eagles album where I thoroughly enjoy every single song. The songs are stupendous, but none of them are my absolute favorites. However, in terms of ranking albums, the combined strength of the songs as a cohesive unit both thematically and sonically puts this at the top for me. It has a great range of emotion - compare Out of Control and Saturday Night, for instance - but it all works together seamlessly. It really is almost cinematic in the way it unfolds and I never feel the urge to hit the button to go to the next song. I especially love the way they merged Desperado and Doolin-Dalton in the Reprise. Genius.

2. On the Border - I like every song on this one, too, except for You Never Cry Like a Lover which annoys me as a woman. "If she's not crying like a lover maybe YOU need to try a little harder, buddy" I want to say, lol. I love the interplay between the bandmates - Glenn and Don sharing vocals on Good Day in Hell, the way all the band members blend for Midnight Flyer. The Best of My Love is gorgeous and Already Gone is wonderfully defiant, almost anthemic. James Dean is a fun song, and Ol' 55 is absolutely beautiful. I know they didn't write it, but Glenn and Don's vocals work together perfectly to convey the mood of the song. Bernie's My Man is incredibly moving, and while Is It True isn't very deep it's got a nice melody. Ironically, I wasn't initially too fond of the title track - it was obviously a "message" song but I couldn't take it seriously with lyrics like 'foolin' with my baby on the telephone.' However, it's grown on me, and I've come to appreciate the song's lyrics so much that I named the board for it.

3. Hotel California - here's where I start to deviate from popular opinion. For me, this album and its title track is a teeny bit overrated. However, when taken as a whole, like Desperado, the album presents a sophisticated cohesion that I admire. I adore Pretty Maids All in a Row and NKIT, and the rest of the songs are all very strong, although I admit I find The Last Resort off-putting in its self-righteous preachiness. Despite that, it's a pretty melody. I originally had HC as second, but as I was doing the write up for OTB, I realized that it was more fun to listen to OTB than HC, so HC got knocked down a slot. Still, they're very close.

4. Long Road Out of Eden - Not the best, but not their worst either. While it does contains some stinkers like Frail Grasp and Fast Company, it has incredible songs like What Do I Do with My Heart and Waiting in the Weeds that stack up to their best work. Plus, the fact that it's a double album gives us more to love!

5. Eagles - despite the fact that they were just getting started, I like this better than some of their later works. I think Most of Us Are Sad is one of the Eagles' most underrated songs. Of course, Take It Easy and Peaceful Easy Feeling are magnificent. I also like Witchy Woman, though not as well as most. I always thought it sounded a bit cheesy, although I like it more now than I used to. After hearing live versions, I have also come to appreciate what I once ridiculed, Chug All Night. I also think Train Leaves Here This Morning is good, although the other tracks are pretty forgettable.

6. One of These Nights - good, but uneven. I know Glenn considers this the Eagles' best album, but I just can't agree with him. It contains my all-time favorite Eagles song, Take It to the Limit, and other terrific tracks like Lyin' Eyes, Too Many Hands, and After the Thrill is Gone. Unlike many, I find Journey of the Sorcerer, Visions, and I Wish You Peace listenable and in fact, I admire Bernie for trying something different with JOTS. Still, they're not going to find my way onto any "Best of Eagles" mix CD I make for myself. I am also one of the few who was never overly impressed with the title track (which Glenn has said is one of his best songs - makes me feel guilty but oh well!) I used to think it was really dated-sounding. Seeing it live made me appreciate it, but it will never be a favorite. Hollywood Waltz is OK, but a little boring.

7. The Long Run - even more uneven and containing some of the worst Eagles music ever released, IMHO. (Here's where I get REALLY controversial! lol) It has moments of brilliance: Heartache Tonight, Those Shoes, I Can't Tell You Why. Unfortunately, those are outweighed by moments that make me cringe. To me, Disco Strangler and Teenage Jail are so awful that they make my ears bleed. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks and King of Hollywood also don't appeal to me. I do enjoy The Long Run, In the City, and The Sad Cafe, but I've never considered them standout Eagles tracks, and they can't save the album for me. Of course, it's all subjective.

TimothyBFan
03-28-2011, 07:25 AM
7. The Long Run - even more uneven and containing some of the worst Eagles music ever released, IMHO. (Here's where I get REALLY controversial! lol) It has moments of brilliance: Heartache Tonight, Those Shoes, I Can't Tell You Why. Unfortunately, those are outweighed by moments that make me cringe. To me, Disco Strangler and Teenage Jail are so awful that they make my ears bleed. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks and King of Hollywood also don't appeal to me. I do enjoy The Long Run, In the City, and The Sad Cafe, but I've never considered them standout Eagles tracks, and they can't save the album for me. Of course, it's all subjective.

I'll say it once again, isn't it funny how we can have the same common interest that has brought us all to this place but yet differ so much on our opinion of what we feel is the best and worse of their music? She has completely trashed my favorite Eagles album! :weep::hilarious: But yet I still love her!

WalshFan88
03-28-2011, 10:27 AM
I'll say it once again, isn't it funny how we can have the same common interest that has brought us all to this place but yet differ so much on our opinion of what we feel is the best and worse of their music? She has completely trashed my favorite Eagles album! :weep::hilarious: But yet I still love her!

Definitely! It's all very interesting! :)

sodascouts
03-28-2011, 04:20 PM

lol! Ditto! ;)

03-28-2011, 04:23 PM
I have to say as I read through this and other similar threads on this board that I never cease to be amazed about the varying opinions about the Eagles' music. I think it just goes to show that this band recorded something for just about everyone's taste. I guess it's no wonder that this band has such mass appeal. It's just hard to find a lot of people that don't like at least a few Eagles' songs.

For me personally, there isn't any Eagles song that I really dislike. Truth is, there aren't probably more than a handful that I don't like alot. I stated earlier that I would take issue with anyone who said that any of the Eagles albums are bad, and it got me to wondering if I am the only one who thinks that.

As I look back at the way I ranked the albums, I realized that the ones that I ranked lowest are the three that I think are the band's most uneven albums - One of These Nights, The Long Run, and Eagles. Each of these have some really great songs on them, but they also contain what I consider to be the band's weakest songs.

I'm interested to hear others thoughts about which, if any, of the albums you would consider to be uneven or dare I say it - bad.

WalshFan88
03-28-2011, 04:46 PM
I have to say as I read through this and other similar threads on this board that I never cease to be amazed about the varying opinions about the Eagles' music. I think it just goes to show that this band recorded something for just about everyone's taste. I guess it's no wonder that this band has such mass appeal. It's just hard to find a lot of people that don't like at least a few Eagles' songs.

For me personally, there isn't any Eagles song that I really dislike. Truth is, there aren't probably more than a handful that I don't like alot. I stated earlier that I would take issue with anyone who said that any of the Eagles albums are bad, and it got me to wondering if I am the only one who thinks that.

As I look back at the way I ranked the albums, I realized that the ones that I ranked lowest are the three that I think are the band's most uneven albums - One of These Nights, The Long Run, and Eagles. Each of these have some really great songs on them, but they also contain what I consider to be the band's weakest songs.

I'm interested to hear others thoughts about which, if any, of the albums you would consider to be uneven or dare I say it - bad.

Definitely Dreamer!

They have "flirted" with so many different kinds of music from blues to country to rock to RnB/Soul and everything in between. There is songs or an album for everybody.

As far as Eagles albums go, I really do like them all except for Desperado. But I won't and never said it was bad. But for me and what my ears like to hear - Desperado doesn't do much for me. I like the title track, but the rest of the album doesn't do much for me. It would rate it at the very bottom if we were rating Best Eagles Studio Album, but of course in this thread we are rating favorites. Either way, it's on the bottom of my list. But it isn't bad whatsoever. There are plenty of people that get off on the that album. I am one of the strange few that don't. I'm sure some feel the same way about Hotel or LROOE or whatever. And that's fine. But I AM shocked at how many people like it. Again, it just goes to show that the band has something for everybody and it's always interesting to see how everyone has very different likes and dislikes! It's all good though. I own Desperado (as well as every other Eagles album) but it doesn't get played hardly at all. But that's just my tastes. I'm glad everyone posted their favorites, it's very intersting to me! :)

Brooke
03-28-2011, 04:48 PM
I'd have to agree with you there, dreamer. I would, first of all off the top of my head say I love all of their albums and they are all great.

I really wouldn't say any of their albums are bad, but there are a few songs I really don't care for and skip when they come up to play. Those would be some that have already been mentioned by others. To refresh you, Teenage Jail, Visions, Earlybird (if I can get past that pesky bird chirpping I might listen to the rest!), Midnight Flyer, Greeks, and, don't hurt me now, I Love To Watch A Woman Dance (shudder!). Sorry to all that like those songs, but different strokes for different folks! They just aren't my cup of tea! :shrug:

Freypower
03-28-2011, 05:48 PM
None of the albums are bad and I don't skip any songs. But by far their most uneven album to me is One Of These Nights. Take away the Big Three and what are you left with? Not very much. It is probably the most 'democratic' album in that each member is given a chance to shine but the non Henley-Frey songs in my opinion are not up to standard (TITTL is Henley-Frey-Meisner) and there is even a Henley-Frey song, After The Thrill Is Gone, which has always left me cold.

The next most 'uneven' album is Eagles where Earlybird, Tryin' & Take The Devil are not great songs (and I know some will say Chug All Night). I am harsh on Take The Devil because I like it better than I used to.

I cannot agree with Soda that The Long Run is uneven. Most of it is outstanding except for Teenage Jail & Greeks; and I enjoy Greeks. I just don't think The Disco Strangler is the monstrosity that Soda thinks it is; it's 'edgy'. I do wish however that Glenn had more vocals than he has. After Hotel California some sort of effort should have been made to correct the overwhelming dominance of Henley on that album; it was made, but not taken far enough. Half of Teenage Jail & a falsetto part in King Of Hollywood is not much of an 'increase'. But that isn't really a comment on the quality of the songs. I should say that I am not a great fan of In The City (runs & hides) or the title track.

There are tracks on Desperado that aren't as good (I hope we do a Desperado Survivor soon) but they are really only Twenty-One and Saturday Night. I love the rest of it.

From On The Border the only 'weaker' songs are Is It True, Midnight Flyer & You Never Cry Like A Lover. I am not, however, all that crazy about Best Of My Love even after finally seeing it live.

Long Road Out Of Eden contains virtually no weak spots. I have three 'least favourites' which are Fast Company, I Don't Want To Hear Any More & Guilty Of The Crime. The rest of it is outstanding.

I can only say about Hotel California that there is one song which I have grown a bit tired of; that is Wasted Time & to some extent perhaps I could say The Last Resort.

sodascouts
03-28-2011, 09:54 PM
A "bad" album to me is one I don't enjoy listening to, and I enjoy listening to every Eagles album. The worst of the Eagles is still better than the best of most groups.

GlennLover
03-28-2011, 10:27 PM
A "bad" album to me is one I don't enjoy listening to, and I enjoy listening to every Eagles album. The worst of the Eagles is still better than the best of most groups.

Except for Disco Strangler, right! :lol:

TimothyBFan
03-29-2011, 07:41 AM
To whom it may concern,

LEAVE LONG RUN AND ALLLLLLL OF IT'S SONGS ALONE-INCLUDING DISCO STRANGLER AND GREEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love, Willie

MikeA
03-29-2011, 08:16 AM
To whom it may concern,

LEAVE LONG RUN AND ALLLLLLL OF IT'S SONGS ALONE-INCLUDING DISCO STRANGLER AND GREEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love, Willie

okay

TimothyBFan
03-29-2011, 08:37 AM
Why thank you Mike! That was easy-all I needed to do was ask! :hilarious:

MikeA
03-29-2011, 08:45 AM
I've made no secret about it.

My least favorite is LROE. I've never been able to listen to that double CD "start to finish" and seldom get through more than a couple of tunes on it. It just doesn't yank my chain.

Most favorite is a toss-up between Hotel California and Desperado. Love 'em both.

Everything else they've done have highlights I like but as a whole, they fall somewhere between the two extremes and I would have a hard time ranking them. Possibly, OOTN appeals more than the others.

sodascouts
03-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Except for Disco Strangler, right! :lol:

Well, we're talking in terms of albums... when it comes to individual songs like "Disco Strangler".... For the sake of Willie...

NO COMMENT

;)

StephUK
03-29-2011, 05:52 PM
As I've already said Desperado is my fave album with LROOE coming next, butI agree with you all in general that there are strong & weak songs on most of the albums. It's interesting that we really like or dislike different tracks, but I guess that's how to sell albums - you have to make it appeal to a wide audience.

The Disco Strangler
11-10-2011, 09:05 PM
To whom it may concern,

Love, Willie

Woot! Woot! I love that album and those songs too :rockguitar:

thelastresort
12-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Hope thread bumps are OK on here:

In order:
1) Desperado - wonderful. If any one of the songs on here was on another album, they would be my favourite off that album! Without doubt one of the best concept albums ever penned, and some of the harmonies are just delicious. Far and away their best work ever.
2) Hotel California - the title track. New Kid in Town. PMAIAR. 'Nuff said.
3) On the Border - love the slightly rockier approach they took with Felder, also contains some of Randy's best bass work. Shame it's probably the most forgotten Eagles album. Ol' 55 and My Man (the latter in particular) are probably two of the most emotionally powerful songs the Eagles ever did.
4) One of These Nights - dislike the title track, but Hollywood Waltz, Lyin' Eyes and TITTL are all equally beautiful.
5) LROOE - Not bad for a bunch of 60 year olds! Love the variety too - from the country rock of Busy Being Fabulous to the HC-like mystery of the title track, to the harmony-based NMWITW.
6) Never really gotten into this as much as I have the other albums. Can't argue with the singles though, all very good songs.
7) The Long Run - its only redeeming features are that it contains In the City and that it actually ends. If this was the first Eagles album I'd listened to I'd probably never have bothered with them again.

luna65
12-17-2013, 09:05 PM
I enjoy all six releases from the original era, but I favor the earlier records, with On The Border being my favorite. But I also have a place in my heart for The Long Run and part of that has to do with 1979 being an important year for me in terms of music: The Wall, Tusk and The Long Run are all albums I listen to even now with the same fervor. As far as Eden goes, it's not an album I listen to as an album all that much.

But even with all the issues we know regarding the making of TLR, I would defend it as something that the band needed to do, to let that darkness well up a bit, because it's fascinating to listen to the intersection of perfection and darkness.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Desperado
Out on the Border
One of these Nights
Hotel California

These are my top four, I can't pick an order. I love them all. The rest are in order.

Eagles
The Long Run
Long Road Out of Eden

thelastresort
01-06-2014, 12:17 PM

Was giving this thread a revisit and just have to say I think this is probably the most I have ever agreed with on a post on this forum. In a way I'm glad the Eagles ended when they did because I'd hate to think of what the next step beyond the Long Run would be like. No hate please guys :thumbsup:

Brooke
01-06-2014, 03:57 PM
I wonder if they would have embraced Disco? :shudder: :hilarious:

UndertheWire
01-06-2014, 04:37 PM
I can't hear quite what's so bad about Disco. I'd much prefer to listen to Chic, Sister Sledge or <I'm struggling to come up with another name> to "Disco Strangler". That track makes me think of Joe's comments about the record label being willing to put out a record where they just burped and farted.

Favourite Eagles Studio Albums in order

Desperado
On the Border
Eagles
One of The Nights
Hotel California
The Long Run

I can't work out where to put Long Road out of Eden. Either before or after Hotel California.

WalshFan88
01-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Forgot about this thread.

I must say I'm still surprised about all the high praise for Desperado (album). Obviously I'm the odd man out as it is strong praise from everyone. As much as I've gotten into certain forms of country music lately, it's just not my thing.... The whole "concept" of this album is not in tune with me. That said, I resonate strongly with the title track but I feel a "take it or leave it" about the rest of the album except perhaps Out Of Control. Tequila Sunrise is really burned out for me now.

Looking back at the original list I did, I'd say not much has changed in the past 2-3 years. I still prefer the rockier (more classic rock than country rock) Eagles and my favorite lineup is HC. I still strongly believe getting JW in the band is probably their smartest move to date. :D

Here is my new list though - one or two changes.

1. Hotel California (always will be - their defining masterpiece AFAIC)
2. On The Border
3. The Long Run
4. One Of These Nights
5. Eagles
6. Desperado
7. Long Road Out Of Eden

I've started liking OTB more than TLR lately - a nice mix of rockin' country and rock n' roll. Adding Felder to the mix was great - but Joe and Felder together is magical.

luna65
01-06-2014, 07:18 PM
I can't hear quite what's so bad about Disco. I'd much prefer to listen to Chic, Sister Sledge or <I'm struggling to come up with another name> to "Disco Strangler". That track makes me think of Joe's comments about the record label being willing to put out a record where they just burped and farted.

I like disco; like every other genre which exists it has its good and bad. But then again since I grew up loving R&B and funk it wasn't that much different to me than those other forms.

I understand why people didn't think "The Disco Strangler" worked as satire, but to me most of the record is satirical, so it's fine; it's certainly better - to me - than songs which appropriated disco just to be hip.

GlennLover
01-06-2014, 07:58 PM
I know that Glenn didm't like disco. I'm not sure about the others.

I like disco too. It just got over done.

Grey Sadler
01-06-2014, 08:19 PM
We're ranking studio albums? All right...

1) Desperado (I must be the polar opposite of Austin here, being raised on country music ;) )
2) One of These Nights
3) Eagles
4) Hotel California
5) On the Border
6) The Long Run
7) Long Road Out of Eden (only b/c I don't know it as well as the 70s LPs...I must give it more of a listen very soon)

luna65
01-06-2014, 08:37 PM
I know that Glenn didm't like disco. I'm not sure about the others.
I'm fairly certain none of them cared for it, or the scene it produced, hence the parody.

WalshFan88
01-07-2014, 01:16 AM
We're ranking studio albums? All right...

1) Desperado (I must be the polar opposite of Austin here, being raised on country music ;) )
2) One of These Nights
3) Eagles
4) Hotel California
5) On the Border
6) The Long Run
7) Long Road Out of Eden (only b/c I don't know it as well as the 70s LPs...I must give it more of a listen very soon)

Hehe what's funny is that I'm listening to more country music now than I ever have. I think it has more to do with the theme than the genre, because I love OTB and some of the countrier songs on it.

sad-cafe
01-12-2014, 08:06 PM
I really can't list my favorites because it changes all the time. I will say however that Life In The Fast Lane is probably my favorite song so I guess HC would be my favorite album.

By the way, my daughters boyfriend bought me Hotel California Vinyl for Christmas. It had never been opened. Even has a cool poster in it.

05-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Reviving this thread because I noticed in a link that SS posted in another thread about Joe's new tour that if you scroll down, there is a list of worst to best Eagles albums.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/bad-company-joe-walsh-2016-tour/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=newsletter_4572276

This isn't quite the same as favorites, but it comes close to how many of us ranked our favorites here. They rank the albums worst to best as follows:

7. Eagles
6. Long Road Out of Eden
5. The Long Run
4. On the Border
3. One of Nights
2. Deperado
1. Hotel California

This isn't too bad of a ranking, but I would personally have to bump Long Road Out of Eden up a notch or two.

In any event, bumping this thread up may be an opportunity for some of our newer members to weigh in here. :thumbsup:

AlreadyGone95
05-14-2016, 01:12 PM
My personal ranking:

7. Eagles
6. On the Border
5. Long Road Out of Eden
4. The Long Run
3. Desperado
2. One of These Nights
1. Hotel California

It was hard for me to rate and rank these albums because all 7 are at least 4 star quality. Eagles us my least favorite because the non hit songs aren't as good as the rest, IMO. Hotel California is their most consistent album. There's not a bad song on it. The rating of the other 5 albums can change from day to day.

WS82Classics
05-14-2016, 10:59 PM
As I'm not yet totally familiar with 'Eden' and am still absorbing the Hockey Sticks album, my ratings won't be as complete as some of the others. Having said all that...

7. Desperado
6. Eagles
5. Eagles Live
4. Hotel California
3. On the Border
2. The Long Run
1. One of These Nights

Elvis
05-16-2016, 06:28 PM
I just recently downloaded Eden. It keeps getting better.

Annoying Twit
06-01-2016, 05:03 AM
Late Here

1. Hotel California
2. One of these Nights
3. On the Border
4. Eagles
5. Desperado
6. Long Road out of Eden
7. The Long Run

I think that the albums are consistent, and hence it looks (e.g.) as if LROOE is way down, but something has to go down near the end. TLR is patchy, IMHO.

Anna-M.
06-01-2016, 01:30 PM
So here is my current ranking as well. But I'm sure there will be some minor changes with time ...

1. One of These Nights
2. Hotel California
3. Eagles
4. Long Road Out of Eden
5. Desperado
6. On the Border
7. The Long Run

Funk 50
06-01-2016, 03:48 PM
I've thought about this and, to be honest, I've stopped listening to the studio albums. I still peruse the artwork but I'll probably be listening to an mp3 playlist which will contain a sprinkling of Eagles and solo Eagles tracks amongst many other artists.

I've no emotional attachment to any of the studio albums. The subsequent hits CDs, particularly The Complete Greatest Hits and Selected Works, adequately represent the Eagles catalog imho, making the 70s albums dispensable.

Hotel California is still worth an exclusive listen and, as all it's tracks don't appear anywhere else, Long Road Out Of Eden still gets a, more than occasional spin but, self chosen playlists are the present, if not the future in my opinion.

Favorite Eagles Studio Albums

1 Hotel California
2 Long Road Out Of Eden

I can't figure out why people are still buying Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975), it's hardly a comprehensive collection and I thought the packaging was lousy :shrug: and how come there are so few "Greatest Hits" and" Best Of"albums in the list of top selling records of all time. :headscratch:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums

Sorry... i'm wandering off topic :|

shunlvswx
06-01-2016, 04:15 PM
I can't remember if I already did this, but I'm going to do it again.

My favorite to least favorite:
1. Hotel California
2. Long Road Out of Eden
3. The Long Run
4. On The Border
5. Desperado
6. One Of These Nights
7. Eagles

NOLA
06-02-2016, 08:47 AM
From best to worst:

1. Hell Freezes Over
2. Hotel California
3. One of These Nights
4. On the Border
5. Long Road Out of Eden
6. The Long Run
7. Desperado
8. Eagles

Some may argue that HFO isn't technically a studio album, but I thought it deserved a mention for new material after the "14-year vacation."

Jonny Come Lately
06-02-2016, 03:51 PM
Just wanted to post my list now. I have been meaning to do this for ages, but I really wanted to be as thorough as possible so I wanted to leave it until I had time to really think about it. It was a real labour of love by forum post standards! I've ranked the seven studio albums with my thoughts on each one. I don't think I've ever overtly posted a list anywhere else until now.

1) Hotel California - This is my overall favourite, and stands as one of my all-time favourite albums. Every song is great, and there are several classics. Side one is a tour de force – there is little original I can say about the superlative title track, except that it stands as a simply magnificent achievement and every second is incredibly memorable. The same can be said for the two tracks that follow, the stunning New Kid In Town and Life in The Fast Lane. The former offers Glenn’s finest vocal, the latter band’s best guitar riff, although of course there is a lot more than that to both. It then ends strongly with Wasted Time, one of Don’s greatest ballads. However, I also think side two is incredibly strong. Victim Of Love is a fantastic track – it ingeniously marries a hard, edgy guitar riff to a melodic chorus, the solos absolutely rock and Don delivers a vocal to match – while I love Pretty Maids All In A Row and Try And Love Again, both wonderful songs that are often overlooked. While it is true that Henley, Walsh and Felder are the most prominent personalities on the album, I think the latter song does quite a lot to redress the balance, with Meisner’s final vocal on I would arguably perhaps his finest song and Glenn’s excellent guitar work. However, my true personal favourite is The Last Resort. I love everything about this song, especially the lyrics where Don outdoes himself, but I think the arrangement is masterful with Felder’s pedal steel standing out in particular. In short, very few albums are as special to me as this one.

2) Desperado - This album is a close second favourite for me. As much as I love HC, there are days when I think I love this album slightly more! I love how thematically cohesive the album is, and how the tracks segue into one another and how the story of the Doolin-Dalton gang is weaved into the songs, often quite subtly. All four band members provide great songs and the quality is consistently very high. In particular, I feel the band raised its songwriting game quite considerably compared to the previous album. I think it was a great album for Bernie – he contributes two strong songs (especially Bitter Creek) and he plays not only electric and acoustic guitar but also the banjo, dobro and mandolin. I love all three parts of the Doolin-Dalton and Desperado trilogy equally, although I think the Reprise is exceptional, featuring some of their best vocals and lyrics. The wonderfully hungover feeling Tequila Sunrise is another classic. Add these together with the youthful optimism of Twenty One, the tough rockers Out Of Control and Outlaw Man, the classic storytelling of Certain Kind Of Fool, the evocative Saturday Night and the brooding Bitter Creek and it makes for a whole that is even greater than the sum of its individual parts. It is a terrific album for listening from beginning to end, but all of the songs are memorable on their own.

3) On The Border - A very strong and consistent album, I think this is generally underrated and seldom gets the credit it deserves outside this forum. I really like all of the songs, but my three big favourites here are Already Gone, My Man and Good Day In Hell. I feel there is a stylistic shift on this album compared to its predecessors, with an increased emphasis on rock and less of a country influence. This is perhaps most clear on Is It True and You Never Cry Like A Lover, as both ballads benefit from bold, memorable guitar work. All of the rockers are great, with AG and GDIH being joined by the infectious energy of James Dean and the quirky R&B influenced title track. Midnight Flyer is great fun and is very good musically – I love not only Bernie’s banjo, but also Randy’s bass playing and Glenn’s slide guitar, while Ol’ 55 is beautiful, with a killer combination of harmony vocals, pedal steel and piano. Tom Waits might not be a great fan of it, but they really did make the song their own. This leaves The Best Of My Love, another beautiful song. I think it has a different feel from the rest of the songs, which really works as it captures the sense of exhaustion central to the song, especially after the raucous GDIH. I absolutely love the overall feel and sound of the record, I think it really jumps out of the speakers. In my opinion, Glenn is the real star of this album, as he is prominent on virtually every track, although all the band members shine on these songs, including Don Felder, who contributed to two of my three favourites. I also love the artwork from this era, which suited this era’s music and attitude perfectly.

4) The Long Run - A couple of years ago, I would have ranked this album last, however it has grown on me immensely and I now consider it to be an excellent record. I think critics make too much of what could be called the ‘Terrible Trio’ of The Disco Stangler, Teenage Jail and Greeks. I personally don’t consider any of these songs to be terrible, and in fact, I really like the darkly melodramatic Jail, while Greeks is a fun good-time rocker. I can definitely see why Disco Strangler annoys people, it is very negative and sounds ‘wonky’ but I think it’s creatively sound and . Regardless of this, I feel the remaining seven tracks make up an extremely strong core. I find there is little to choose between these songs, and my favourites do tend to vary, although I think there is a case for saying that the two strongest songs are the ballads, the beautiful I Can’t Tell You Why and The Sad Café, more poignant now than ever. By this stage the Eagles were very much a rock band, and the guitar work (mostly by Felder and Walsh) is consistently great throughout – special mention must go to Those Shoes with its amazing and unique double talk box guitars, although they certainly shine on In The City and King Of Hollywood too. The Long Run is a very strong all-round song, and then there is the storming Heartache Tonight – more great guitars and a simply outstanding rock vocal by Glenn. I only wish most ‘disappointing’ albums had as much strength in depth as this one!

5) Eagles - I get the sense that I am one of the bigger fans of this album on here. I think it’s partly because I am a huge fan of the big three hits – Take It Easy is quite possibly my favourite Eagles song based solely on the enjoyment I get from it, while Witchy Woman and Peaceful Easy Feeling are also great tracks. Where I think I differ from some people is that I really enjoy the deeper songs on this album too. From this group, I have two main favourites – one is Train Leaves Here This Morning, which I consider to be a country rock classic, and the powerful, brooding Take The Devil. The remaining tracks are less strong, hence why this album is placed behind The Long Run (which I feel is more consistently strong), but I feel are still good songs. I always enjoy Earlybird, Chug All Night and Tryin’ – while they are not very lyrically deep, I think they have great vocals and music – and Most Of Us Are Sad is lovely. The only song that I’m a bit ‘meh’ about is Nightingale, which I find likeable enough but doesn’t grab me. I think this is a very good mix of rock and country/bluegrass styles across this album and the end result is a very satisfying listen.

6) Long Road Out Of Eden - In some ways, it would have been quite easy for me to place this album last, as by the time I first heard it I was already very familiar with the others. However, I feel is far too strong to place last! The quality of this record was in itself pleasant surprise, as was how it continued to grow on me. I will admit there are a few songs I could live without – I’m not saying they are bad, but I’m not that wild about I Don’t Want To Hear Any More, and What Do I Do With My Heart doesn’t particularly appeal to me. I also have mixed feelings about Fast Company, and although I quite like I Love To Watch A Woman Dance, I think it would have been better as a Glenn solo track. However, the rest is strong, and compares well to most other records I’ve heard by artists at that age. My four favourite songs are the timeless How Long, the rocking Somebody and the masterpieces Waiting In The Weeds and the title track, and all of these rank up there with the best songs on the 1970s albums. However, these are joined by a number of other high quality songs – Busy Being Fabulous, Do Something, You Are Not Alone, Frail Grasp On The Big Picture, Last Good Time In Town, Business As Usual and Centre Of The Universe, and I like everything else too. Overall, I love disc two in particular, but there is a lot of strong material on the first disc too. I am extremely glad that Glenn got his way and it was released as a double album, as I think there are more than enough strong songs to justify it.

7) One Of These Nights - I place this album last, but this mainly because something has to come last. I will start with the positives here, as there is much I want to praise about it! For starters, I cannot fault Don and Glenn’s songwriting on this album. The title track is brilliant, and is in my opinion the ultimate fusion of hard and soft rock styles. The two other hits, Lyin’ Eyes and Take It To The Limit, are also classics and outstanding vocal showcases, and I think After The Thrill Is Gone is up to the same high standard. Hollywood Waltz, although not a big favourite, is also a good, solid song. I really like Too Many Hands, which is very underrated, as is Journey of the Sorcerer, which is unique and features great musicianship. So in truth the reason why this album comes last is down to the remaining two songs. Visions is okay, and I kind of enjoy it, but it comes across as a somewhat generic rocker, and I don’t feel is quite up to Eagles standards. I have to be in a certain mood to enjoy I Wish You Peace – I find it listenable, and it does have a sweet sentiment, but it doesn’t do much for me, and occasionally I do stop listening to the album after ATTIG. My other main criticisms are that I feel the strength of the album is more dependent on the hit songs than any of the other records, and although the wide variety of musical styles is commendable (and it is unique in having five different lead singers), I don’t think it holds together quite as well as an album and tends to feel like a ‘collection of songs’, especially compared to Desperado. Having said this, this album is still very definitely in my good books – there are no stinkers by any means and I don’t listen to it significantly less than the others. As I said, something has to come last!

As with AG95 and Annoying Twit, I agree that the Eagles have a very strong set of studio albums - I wouldn't give any of their albums less than 4/5 or equivalent. I have yet to find another band where I have listened to all of their albums and can still honestly say this.

thelastresort
06-03-2016, 12:08 PM
... how the story of the Doolin-Dalton gang is weaved into the songs, often quite subtly. ...

I know the four of them were talented, but I doubt any of them could write songs about a gang that never existed! ;) Doolin's Wild Bunch was born out of the demise of the Dalton Gang, and included a certain George Newcomb, better known as Bitter Creek.

DJ
06-03-2016, 04:18 PM
Ok here are my fav's.

On The Border- Just love the rock out tunes.......
Desperado- Soulful ballads and 21 is a theme song of mine. :)
Eagles-The early works to good to forget.
One Of These Nights-Title tune rocks--
Hotel CA- Honestly can't say I love this one Except Try and Love again........And Life In The Fast Lane. Who doesn't love a badass song.

Jonny Come Lately
06-03-2016, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the correction tlr! You are of course right Glad to see you again by the way). I really can't defend my mistake here, I will say though that I think Bitter Creek is one of the songs that most cleverly alludes to the real life gang as it makes a double meaning out of Newcomb's name.

Since this thread was bumped I've been keeping track of everyone's lists with the intention of making a table showing the relative popularity of each of the albums and to be able to rank them. My aim is basically to take into account every complete or near complete list of the studio albums to try to determine which albums Borderers love most. I can't take into account lists if the order isn't clear, or those which are missing several albums. However, if you've only excluded one album (I suspect this is most likely to be for people who have listened to all of the 1970s albums, but not LROOE) then I'd be happy to include such a list. If enough people post usable lists (I'd say probably 20 is enough to give a decent sample size, and we are some of the way there already) then I will post this overall list. I won't be using the older lists from this thread, as I don't think this is fair (I am conscious people's opinions may have changed over time) although if you posted one back then and feel your opinion hasn't changed sufficiently to produce a new one, please say so and I can then include it in my data.

For anyone who choses to include live albums, I hope you don't mind but I will leave these out as I am aware that the thread title concerns studio albums but more importantly most people so far haven't included them and therefore I don't think it would give meaningful results. Personally I only ever listen to live albums or songs by my favourite bands so I don't tend to listen to live performances critically and therefore most often I don't really like to rate them as I do with studio music, so I commend anyone who does this for being able to rank them!

sodascouts
06-04-2016, 12:30 PM
JCL, you're so thorough! Thank you for going to all that trouble.

Brooke
06-06-2016, 01:55 PM
Here's what I thought back in January of 2007 and it still stands, pretty much.

#1- Desperado. I just love the whole album. Every song!

#3-On the Border. I love 6 of the 10 songs on this one. Two favorites here, Already Gone (rocks) and Best Of My Love (Don's soulful voice).

#4-One of These Nights. 5 songs I love here, OOTN, Hollywood Waltz, Lyin' Eyes, Take it to the Limit, and After the Thrill is Gone. Overall favorite-OOTN-that raspy voice again! And that air intake he does....:thud:

#5-Eagles. 4 wonderful songs for me on this one, Take It Easy-the anthem, Witchy Woman, Peaceful Easy Feeling, and Tryin. Most favorite of all time is Take It Easy! I just love the very first chords and it's a feel good song. Glenn's voice on PEF is soooooo sweet, too, and I fell in love with Don's voice on Witchy Woman back in the day! I thought off the top of my head this would be my favorite album, but when I actually counted the favorite songs here's where it wound up! Who knew?!

#6-The Long Run. I knew off the top of my head this was my least favorite album, but when I tallied them up, it almost tied with #5! It's my least played album. I love The Long Run, ICTYW, In the City, and Heartache Tonight. My overall favorite here is Heartache Tonight. Love Glenn's "break my heart" part!

#7. Long Road Out of Eden. I love some of the songs on it, Long Road, Somebody, Waiting in the Weeds, and Center of the Universe, but it just doesn't have the history with me that the old ones do. I would have been happy with a single disc cd.

Thanks for your awesome review of the albums, too, JCL! :thumbsup:

NightMistBlue
06-06-2016, 02:03 PM
I like all of them. Sorry, I'm crap at ranking things.

LuvTim
06-06-2016, 03:29 PM
I like all of them. Sorry, I'm crap at ranking things.

NMB, totes agree. :nod:

Rocky Mountain Way
06-22-2016, 07:49 PM
1. Hotel California - A masterpiece. I'm in love with every track. 'The Last Resort' is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard.

2. The Long Run - A rough album with some big highlights. 'The Sad Cafe', 'I Can't Tell You Why', 'Heartache Tonight', 'Those Shoes', 'In The City' and the title track are really great songs. I even like 'The Disco Strangler' and 'The King of Hollywood', odd though they are. The other two tracks are terrible.

3. On The Border - Good highlights. Half good. Most of the non-hit album tracks are so-so.

4. One of These Nights - Same deal as Border. I love the hits and 'Hollywood Waltz' is really underrated. The rest is meh.

5. Desperado - Great hits, one or two nice album tracks ('Saturday Night' is incredible), the rest is mediocre.

6. Eagles - Great hits, a few nice lesser known things. Noticing a pattern?

I've never listened to Long Road Out of Eden before, so I'll have to get back to you on that one. I think I was so angry with the band when they fired Felder that I decided to take a break from the Eagles for awhile, as such, I skipped Eden with every intention to hear it at some point, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

The Silk Scarf Monkey
06-23-2016, 11:21 AM
1. Hotel California. Wow, so original. I mean, this beats the greatest hits albums of most other bands! This is their most consistent album, as without exception, all the songs are great. It includes my favorite Randy Meisner song, as well as a soft song that no one can do better than Joe (never imagined this was possible but it is!) And there’s lots of variety, too, as it goes from Life in the Fast Lane to The Last Resort. New Kid in Town has always been one of Glenn’s best and the reprise of Wasted Time really takes the actual song up a notch. And I haven’t even mentioned the title track yet, which is THE example of an iconic rock song for me. Sgt. Pepper and Pet Sounds are usually mentioned as the greatest albums in music history, right, albums without “filler” songs. Well, Hotel California belongs up there too.
2. Long Road Out of Eden. Isn’t it just great how this one is respectively high on most lists? It shows class is permanent. The absolute highlight is Waiting in the Weeds, my favorite song, with Tim’s backing vocals that blend perfectly with Henley's and those wonderful harmonies that nobody can do better than the Eagles. The title track is over 10 minutes long, but it hasn't bored me a second yet. Every time the song starts to play it sends me to a desert at sunset, that’s why I think the album cover is perfectly chosen. Furthermore I like How Long (it’s great how Don and Glenn sing alternately), NMCD (a way better version of The Girl From Yesterday), Somebody, LGTIT, BBF, BAU, COTU, WDIDWMH (even the short form is still long…) AND a song that I think most would tie with The Disco Strangler as their worst song (I’ve heard even Don himself doesn’t like it so much): Fast Company (which bears similarities to Frail Grasp in my opinion). Another good thing: LROOE is long, which means, more songs, yay. There’s a bunch of political statements and you can hear so much influence on almost every song from Don Henley, while Stuart Smith is doing a great job as well. Side notes: there’s not enough rock and not enough Joe.
3. The Long Run. Oh! Everyone’s disappointment album is not that bad! King of Hollywood would already be enough proof, I even named my account after it. Other good songs are The Sad Café (I love the sax), ICTYW, Heartache Tonight, the title track… Oh and I LOVE the talkbox/bad ass song Those Shoes. This song in particular shows that the Eagles’ music got “darker” than before on this album, just like Teenage Jail, KOH and The Sad Café which is a darker successor of The Last Resort. Anyone with good music taste and common sense would say The Disco Strangler, Teenage Jail and The Greeks Don’t Want No Freaks bring the album down to Earth… But as I’m not one of them, I have to say they all clearly have some ugly parts in them, but also some good things, and they are overall ok, at least for me.
4. On the Border. The top 3 is clear for me, but here's where it gets hard. So, On the Border. This album is so uneven. There's 3 songs on it that I don't really like, but it's held up by the others. Don and Glenn shine, while Bernie and Randy are less in the spotlights. It also marks the switch from country to rock, which I think paid off.
5. One Of These Nights. An album that includes a song like One Of These Nights is instantly good, and I like both Randy songs too. And: Don Felder is singing here!
6. Desperado. It feels wrong to have Desperado so low, but I'm more rock than country. However, Bernie Leadon made me love country (which is a great accomplishment) with his song Bitter Creek, which would be among my favorite Eagles tracks. The album is not bad (the title track and cowboy theme are cool), but includes some weaker songs too, so it's kind of a relief when I hear the first notes of Tequila Sunrise.
7. The hits + Train Leaves Here This Morning are clearly better than the rest. Their best work clearly still had to come.