PDA

View Full Version : In one week: Desperado Survivor!

sodascouts
04-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Finally, it's time for Desperado Survivor (Since it's my favorite Eagles album, I personally can't wait)!

The stage is set for the game to start Sunday, April 17 at 8:00 pm Eastern!

Get ready to face another showdown. :wink:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/eagles1972desperadoshootout04.jpg

whitcap
04-10-2011, 05:26 PM
:yay: I can't wait! This one's gonna be hard for me. I love every song on the album. I know what song I want to win but I don't know what I want to vote off first. I have a favorite song on the album but I don't have a least favorite.

Freypower
04-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Great; this one should produce some interesting results.

luvthelighthouse
04-10-2011, 05:53 PM
I love this album too! I think this could game could lead to some interesting discussions.

MikeA
04-10-2011, 07:18 PM
I'm not EVEN going to get involved with THIS ONE! I'd argue myself to death. But tell you what I WILL DO: I'll listen to that album Three Times during the week and will see which run through the album produced the most satisfying results! That's the BEST I can do with that one!

Troubadour
04-10-2011, 07:23 PM
This is going to be tough... but I am up for a challenge! Desperado is one of my favourite albums.

luvthelighthouse
04-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Just sat down to do some work and thought, what a great time to put in Desperado for a listen. I'm like a kid a Christmas who just discovered their presents. I want to start opening up discussions, but I know I have to wait. I love this album so much! Thanks so much for putting together another Survivor game. They are always so fun!

WalshFan88
04-10-2011, 11:28 PM
I agree with the above.... It'll be interesting to find out who (or which heheh) wins.

Koala
04-11-2011, 01:44 AM
Great! Love this game! I think this will give very interesting discussions again with this survivor !

EaglesKiwi
04-11-2011, 03:42 AM
Yippee!! Looking forward to reading all the calm, reasoned debate. :angel:

And the heated discussions! :tonguewag:

Glennsallnighter
04-11-2011, 06:36 AM
Oooh Cool!

UK TimFan
04-11-2011, 07:36 AM
Being more of an LROOE gal :) I'm not that familiar with the earlier albums so I've just been playing 'Desperado'.
I've decided on the first three I want to vote off, and after that, I just do not know which I will want to vote off. :brickwall: What I orginally thought might be my winner suddenly isn't looking such a certainty.
Do we have a 'I've got a headache' smilie? :grin:

TimothyBFan
04-11-2011, 08:22 AM
My least favorite album but I'm up to the challenge. Will really have to concentrate on this a couple times this week because I seriously don't even know where to start. :headscratch:

WalshFan88
04-11-2011, 08:31 AM
My least favorite album but I'm up to the challenge. Will really have to concentrate on this a couple times this week because I seriously don't even know where to start. :headscratch:

+1 Same here.

Brooke
04-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Good! This will be tough cause it's my favorite album. Better get to listenin'!

Annabel
04-12-2011, 08:08 AM
:thumbsup: Better get listening here too seeing as I only got my copy back in December for my birthday. :hilarious:

Prettymaid
04-12-2011, 11:38 AM
I will dust my boots off, sling my guns on and start preparing for a lively debate! :armed:

Brooke
04-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Ok. I'm ready! :wink:

UK TimFan
04-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Being more of an LROOE gal :) I'm not that familiar with the earlier albums so I've just been playing 'Desperado'.
I've decided on the first three I want to vote off, and after that, I just do not know which I will want to vote off. :brickwall: What I orginally thought might be my winner suddenly isn't looking such a certainty.
Do we have a 'I've got a headache' smilie? :grin:
If the number of times** I've played one particular song is any guide I have now decided which is my favourite song from the album.

** 78 times in the last 38 hours.

AzEaglesFan
04-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Hadn't listened to Desperado for awhile so I got it out and couldn't believe how many of the songs I like. This is going to be another tough one.But I ready.

WalshFan88
04-13-2011, 04:30 AM
I think I have my list ready....key word "think". ;)

TimothyBFan
04-13-2011, 07:28 AM
If the number of times** I've played one particular song is any guide I have now decided which is my favourite song from the album.

** 78 times in the last 38 hours.

:lol: That's a few times!!!

Ive always been a dreamer
04-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Okay - This is gonna be interesting AND very unpredictable. Usually, I try to guess how the Survivor games will turn out, but this one could be real tricky. From the comments made over the years, we Borderers seem to be pretty split on our opinions of this album - there doesn't seem to be a lot of gray here ... we either like the album a lot or don't like it very much at all. Yep - the makings of some true drama!!! :thumbsup:

MikeA
04-13-2011, 11:24 AM
That was sort of the general trend of Public Opinion about that album also when it was first released. It didn't have the expected landslide type sales numbers.

But as other albums were released and new "fans" got on board with the Eagles, sales went up significantly on the "Desperado" album. But it was "different" mainly because it was a "theme album". Eagles were going for that Country Rock sound and Western type music (as opposed to the other type Country Music that's not about Cowboys and Cattle Drives and Desert Sunsets!)

And, because of that different concept, I think it failed to "hit" because of the Cowboy theme that wove its way throughout the album. It just didn't cross-over to Rock as well as their previous Self Titled Album "Eagles" and their subsequent "On The Border" and "One Of These Nights."

My acceptance of that album was somewhat of a mystery and I admit it. I was not and am not a "Country" fan. But "Desperado" really appealed to me particularly because of the lyrics and the story it told. I even appreciated the Bluegrass influence that Bernie brought to the table with this album. It was in a nitch in my record collection that was completely empty prior to that release...and in fact is still pretty empty.

tequila girl
04-13-2011, 02:31 PM
This is going to be hard (aren't they all!) 'cos being someone who was with the Eagles from the get-go I pretty much love all of their songs....apart from a few dubious ones on The Long Run :shock:

Anyway.... I guess i'm going to have to start listening again....seriously!!

pueblo47
04-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Besides the tag country rock, this album seems to ME mostly country-western. A slight step away from country and rock, hanging on the edge of western ballad-type, weaving stories, somewhat different from the norm.

Merely my observation, no offense to others who are more in the know about this type of thing.....:armed:

tequila girl
04-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Don't ask me - I just like what I like! :wink:

MikeA
04-13-2011, 04:21 PM
What Judy said...that was the point I was trying to make about "Desperado".

There are a quagmire of genres. We generally think of Rock, Country and maybe Rap or R&B.

Back then in the early days before Felder and Walsh, the Eagles weren't "Country" but rather a cross-over group bringing Country-Rock into the mix.

But to me "Desperado" wasn't even "Country Rock" really.

When I think of "Country" music, I think of what Buck Owens and Loretta Lynn and all those other Grand Ole Opery musicians did. Roy Clark and Hank Williams.

I think of Bluegrass that was mostly "Mountain Music" with banjos and flat pickin' guitar work along with washboards and juice-harps. A lot of Folk Music came out of this.

But there was a third kind of music generally associated with "Country" that I sort of had a different pigeon hole set aside for. That was "Western" or "Cowboy" music.

That "Western" music brings up thoughts of those old Western Movies that John Wayne and Roy Rogers stared in. Songs about cattle drives, nights in the desert, clip-clop sounds of horses. Riders of the Purple Sage. Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennins. That kind of music.

It's this last kind...the "Cowboy" or "Western" music that best fit the "Desperado" album. At least it did for ME. It didn't "feel" country the way most of the stuff on "Eagles" and "On The Border" felt.

It didn't really feel "bluegrass" either to me though it was more "bluegrass" than "country". It was "Western". And I could buy that...and DID.

However, the Eagles took it to another level by making the "Desperado" album "Theme Based" using the demise of the Dalton Gang as that theme.

Sort of ironic that the Dalton Brothers were cousins of the Youngers who were part of the James Gang! Talk about running in the family!

So, I've seen and heard the Eagles go from Country-Country-Rock, to Western, to Country-Rock-Rock, to Rock and then to whatever LROE was. I haven't really figured out what LROE was.

But whatever they've done, they have done it extremely well! I'm just glad that they have enjoyed doing it enough to keep on doing it long after they no longer needed to do so from a financial perspective....though I'm sure that they do not mind that they are making a bunch of people rich by continuing to play and record!

pueblo47
04-13-2011, 04:27 PM
I see you have your guns ready for the response Pueblo.......don't ask me - I just like what I like! :wink:As long as you understand that Desperado is NOT country, I can handle it....otherwise meet me at sunrise and be ready......:rofl::machinegun:(JK)

tequila girl
04-13-2011, 04:56 PM
As long as you understand that Desperado is NOT country, I can handle it....otherwise meet me at sunrise and be ready......:rofl::machinegun:(JK)
Whatever you say....i'm happy to go along with ........:pimp:

Troubadour
04-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Seriously - what's not to love about cowboys, country and rock? I am in my element with this album! :nod:

pueblo47
04-13-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm thinking some serious thoughts about Troub's avatar:inlove::rofl:

Troubadour
04-13-2011, 05:22 PM
I don't blame you, Puebs!

tequila girl
04-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Actually, I think Randy probably makes the best Desperado

http://randymeisneronline.com/images/RMeisnerDesperado.jpg

Wow, y'all jumped in there and threw me off track....don't know what i'm doin now....except yeah, great av Lou!! :thumbsup:

whitcap
04-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Actually, I think Randy probably makes the best Desperado

http://randymeisneronline.com/images/RMeisnerDesperado.jpg

I agree :inlove:

WalshFan88
04-13-2011, 10:27 PM
As long as you understand that Desperado is NOT country, I can handle it....otherwise meet me at sunrise and be ready......:rofl::machinegun:(JK)

Desperado is pure country!

I fully agree! :D

pueblo47
04-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Desperado is pure country!

I fully agree! :Dit's pure country-WESTERN!!!:nahnah:

WalshFan88
04-13-2011, 10:33 PM
it's pure country-WESTERN!!!:nahnah:

Country, Country-Western, Nashville, Bakersfield, Bluegrass, whatever. It all means the same thing! :nahnah::nahnah::nahnah:

sodascouts
04-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Personally I love cowboys. ;)

WalshFan88
04-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Personally I love cowboys. ;)

Hehe I wasn't talking about the figures - I was referring to country music (the music).

TimothyBFan
04-14-2011, 07:20 AM
I'm with Soda----LOVE COWBOYS, but don't know if I've ever said it before but country, country-western...not so much!! Shocking, huh?

Still not a clue what I'm doing in this game! :dizzy:

luvthelighthouse
04-14-2011, 09:07 AM
What I've learned from recent survivor games... my list means nothing.

I'm usually voting to try and save a song, instead of voting off what I really want... because it would be a wasted vote and a great song could go before it.

I think I'll just play this one by ear... I'm most interested in learning what others like or dislike about each song.

Brooke
04-14-2011, 10:41 AM
it's pure country-WESTERN!!!:nahnah:

County-western? No! :hand: Country-western is Buck Owens and Roy Clark, Porter Wagner, Scruggs and Flat, Loretta Lynn, Don Williams, etc. Country music is not like that anymore. Go listen to those old songs by those listed. It does NOT sound like the Eagles' Desperado album. There's a huge difference, to me.

Now cowboys, I like! lol

pueblo47
04-14-2011, 10:59 AM
I respectfully disagree. Country western is Marty Robbins and John Denver.

Those on your list are country and bluegrass.

Be gentle when you start berating me please........:hilarious:(JK)

04-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Back to the discussion about whether Desperado is a pure country album, I would disagree. When I think of pure country, I think of acts like Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, Hank Williams, Merle Haggard, and George Jones. Now today's country music has much more crossover into the pop and rock genres than country music did back in the 70's (largely due to the influence of the Eagles). Therefore, I think the album does sound more country by today's standards. But even when it was first released, Desperado was definitely not considered pure country. The suggestion that songs like Outlaw Man and Out of Control were country was outright repelling to a 1973 country purist. :wink: Back then, songs like Tequila Sunrise, Saturday Night, or Certain Kind of Fool may have been considered "country-flavored" at best. The main reason that the album wasn't commercially successful was because it couldn't find a niche with either the country or rock audiences. I clearly remember at the time that I didn't think it was nearly as good as their Eagles LP. Wow - I sure have changed my mind about that! The fact of the matter is that this album has come to be recognized as a really good album because the songs on it are really good songs - no matter what label you put on them.

luvthelighthouse
04-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Ok, this is coming from someone who grew up listening to C&W music... as my mother alway played it... I do not think the Eagles, even their early stuff sounds country.

I'm sure I'm one of the few out there that feel this way... but they don't have that "feel" to me at all. Ok, perhaps a couple of songs like Midnight Flyer, Train Leaves Here this Morning... more Bernie influence songs have the feel, but not the majority of them.

I don't get the country feel for TIE, PEF, or most of the Desperado album. From Desperado, I get a cowboy feel, but not a country vibe. More outlaw than country folk.

In the vain of Gram Parsons... I would not like to put labels on music... but if I must, I would go with soft or classic rock. Of course some of their later music I would go with straight rock.

Sorry, I just can't see the Eagles as country. Not when I grew up listening to country (Loretta Lynn, Merle Haggard), even more modern country... George Straight, Reba, Garth Brooks...

WalshFan88
04-14-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm in the same "group" as TBF, for me I'm not a big Country fan and that is what I hear on Desperado. Of course everyone has their favorites and their order and everything and I'm not saying it's bad by any stretch, but it is probably my least favorite. Desperado, to my ears, sounds way different than anything they did on the first album or later 70s albums that were more rock.

As most of you know by know probably - I'm a rock n' roll/hard rock type of person and like the straightahead rock n' roll stuff best (HC, TLR, but also like OTB). But that's just what I grew up on really. AC/DC, Aerosmith, GnR, Zeppelin, etc was always playing in the house and so that's what's ingrained in my brain. I prefer the Walsh years of the Eagles, as it turned to more rock.

The thing is - if it weren't for Hotel California and discovering that solo and learning how to play guitar - I probably would have never discovered the Eagles or met anyone on this lovely forum. I probably even wouldn't be alive today. :shock: I was in a rough place with severe depression at the time I heard it and it inspired me to play guitar and give me something to do and get out and play with other people and bring me out of my shell. It's scary to think about it for me. It was a bad time for me and it came at the right time.

04-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Well - I'm not a fan of country music either. But, it will come as no surprize to any of you that I do LOOOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEE the Eagles! So I guess that must mean that they aren't country to my ears. :lol: The early Eagles music is labeled as country rock because it was not pure country and it was not pure rock. As I've said before, some of their songs lean more toward a country sound while others are more rock-flavored. That's what set this band apart from others. They were able to do just about any kind of popular music at a very high level. As LTL said, a few of their songs such as TLHTM and Midnight Flyer could be labeled country and/or bluegrass just as LITFL can be labeled as hard rock. However, most of their catalog is much more ambiguous and hard to put a label on. I suspect that's exactly why we're having this discussion. :wink:

WalshFan88
04-14-2011, 12:10 PM
As LTL said, a few of their songs such as TLHTM and Midnight Flyer could be labeled country and/or bluegrass just as LITFL can be labeled as hard rock.

That I agree with. :) I just prefer the "LIFTL's" of their music (more rock based songs), like in HC and TLR, although I like On The Border and some of "Eagles". I've never been a big "Western" fan as in the whole cowboys and guns thing. But that's just me! :D But it's not surprising to me as I'm not an outdoorsy person. My mom and dad both are but I'm an indoors type of person who sits at a computer... I'm not a nature/sports type of person either. I'm more of a geek who works on computers and is a hermit crab! :rofl: About the only thing I do outside is play outdoor gigs with the old band or by myself or in a trio. But I much prefer to be indoors playing guitar or working on PCs.

I will also say they have done a lot of music in a lot of different genres so there is a song, or more likely an album, for everyone. They've done RnB/Soul, Classic Rock/Hard Rock, Blues, Country, Bluegrass, etc. There is something for everyone in their music. Just because I'm not a big fan of Desperado doesn't mean I don't like the Eagles! Quite the contrary, as their HC album pretty much saved my life.

sodascouts
04-14-2011, 12:35 PM
I think one thing to remember is how much country has changed. Ever since the 80s - probably inspired a lot by the success of 70s "country rock" - country has moved in a more rock/pop direction. NOW the early Eagles can be called country by people who think of it in those terms.

Back during the time of Desperado, though, country music was a whole 'nother beast. Check out some country hits from 1973 below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVqXh2QxH7A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxI7Q1gGkcU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMqLkRDT4GY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfjraLge1gk

Not exactly the same sound as the Eagles, eh? lol

MikeA
04-14-2011, 12:36 PM
County-western? No! :hand: Country-western is Buck Owens and Roy Clark, Porter Wagner, Scruggs and Flat, Loretta Lynn, Don Williams, etc. Country music is not like that anymore. Go listen to those old songs by those listed. It does NOT sound like the Eagles' Desperado album. There's a huge difference, to me.

Now cowboys, I like! lol

That is an interesting list Brook and your classification of those artists as ""Country-Western" are not what I'd pigeonhole them as.

I'd have Buck Owens, Roy Clark, Porter Wagner, and Loretta Lynn all as "Country". I'd go a step further and call them "Hillbilly Country" versus "Southern Country". But that is a REALLY "fine thin line" of separation.

I'd have Flat and Scruggs as "Bluegrass".

Don Williams...I hear him more as "Western" though he did sing some "Country" songs.

Wonder where Gordon Lightfoot fits in there? He was more Folk than anything else but I recon most people think of him as "Rock".

Yet, I do understand what you are saying. Most people categorize all those performers as being "Country" since they are definitely "NOT ROCK". It's not worth arguing about.

I guess it's like lumping Punk, Heavy Metal, Pop, Reggae, Acid Rock, Psychedelic and Rock-n-Roll all into a major category called "Rock". Maybe they are, but there are delineations within that major category of "Rock" that are as distinct as those subdivisions in "Country".

I can take almost anything the Eagles throw at me as long as they don't start moving toward RAP! When they do that, that's when I quit listening to music all together!

WalshFan88
04-14-2011, 12:46 PM
For me country (in any era), bluegrass, country-western, etc is all the same to me - ick! :yuck: I played in a bluegrass jam for almost 2 hours the other day and it was the longest and most boring 2 hours I've ever spent. I would play Funk #49 in between songs just because I was getting tired of "I'll Fly Away" and all of that. Those dudes looked at me like I was out of place - and for good reason. Now I can jam with the best of them, but in rock and blues. I went because one of my friends has been begging me to go. I probably won't go back but I guess it was something to do on a Friday night lol. I couldn't really fit in on the guitar scope of things either. I'm a rock guitarist - there is no doubt. I'm into overdriven (distorted) guitars, guitar solos, and heavy riffs. But it's just me. I'm a weird duck - I'll admit it! No doubt about it!

I'm not saying Desperado is bad by any stretch of the imagination, but it's probably the album with the most country-sided songs out of everything they have ever done. And again, that's perfectly fine but not exactly my cup of tea. But again, I'm a hard rocker and listen to heavier 70s stuff. But that's just me and what "I" like. If I had to pick one song off of the album that I like - it would be "Out Of Control". But "Tequila Sunrise" and that isn't my stuff.

But again, the Eagles have done so much and such a wide variety of music - there is something for everyone. I respect and appreciate all Eagles albums - but I'm entitled to favorites and least favorites as is everyone else. I'm just expressing my opinion here - just like everyone else. I am looking forward to the Survivor - it's always so interesting on what people think as I am usually a polar opposite to that. I never get tired of overplayed songs for instance, I listen to Hotel California once or twice a day, that would drive most insane! :D

TimothyBFan
04-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Ok, this is coming from someone who grew up listening to C&W music... as my mother alway played it...

I don't remember having a sister but you must have also been raised in my house!! :yuck:

And Austin must be my son or kin folk also--bless his little rock n roll heart! :lol:

Soda--I almost lost my lunch when I saw the videos you had posted. My Mom loved all of those but don't forget Conway Twitty!!! :yuck: (I don't believe I've ever used that smiley and now I've used it twice in the same post).

All I have to say is this Survivor game is going to be an interesting one. I believe it could get a bit heated at times. Looks like we are either one side or the other with nothing in the middle. Someone said earlier in this thread I believe, "no gray area".

Let the games begin!!!

WalshFan88
04-14-2011, 12:58 PM
And Austin must be my son or kin folk also--bless his little rock n roll heart! :lol:

:hilarious:

WalshFan88
04-14-2011, 01:02 PM
I guess it's like lumping Punk, Heavy Metal, Pop, Reggae, Acid Rock, Psychedelic and Rock-n-Roll all into a major category called "Rock". Maybe they are, but there are delineations within that major category of "Rock" that are as distinct as those subdivisions in "Country".

I agree - it's just that I don't like ANY of the subdivisions in Country - and I like a COUPLE of the subdivisions in Rock. 70s Classic Rock, 80s Hard Rock/Melodic Rock, 70s Southern Rock, etc. That's my stuff. I like all of that kind of stuff.

04-14-2011, 01:05 PM
I can take almost anything the Eagles throw at me as long as they don't start moving toward RAP! When they do that, that's when I quit listening to music all together!

Aww - now, we're talking, Mike. On this matter, we are kindred spirits!!! :thumbsup:

Brooke
04-14-2011, 03:06 PM
That is an interesting list Brook and your classification of those artists as ""Country-Western" are not what I'd pigeonhole them as.

I'd have Buck Owens, Roy Clark, Porter Wagner, and Loretta Lynn all as "Country". I'd go a step further and call them "Hillbilly Country" versus "Southern Country". But that is a REALLY "fine thin line" of separation.

I'd have Flat and Scruggs as "Bluegrass".

Don Williams...I hear him more as "Western" though he did sing some "Country" songs.

Of course, you're right Mike. I was just generalizing country-western music. Flat & Scruggs are definitely bluegrass.

I'm definitely witcha on that, too! :lol:

Soda, great examples of how much country music has changed over the years. :thumbsup:

MikeA
04-14-2011, 05:06 PM
I haven't really been emphasizing whether or not I "like" any particular aspect of any particular genre of music...though I did mention that I can tolerate some country, most bluegrass because I like the flatpickin', and like a whole lot of the Western type music.

I think I like the Western type music mainly because I've traveled pretty extensively in the west and hearing those songs while riding through the Black Hills, or through the Rockies or through the Desert country in Arizona and New Mexico and Nevada really brings the scenes being described in the songs to life!

But I don't like ALL Western music any more than I like All Rock music. But I like some of ALL types of music!

I guess I'm just a Musical Kind Of Guy.

Glennhoney
04-14-2011, 06:07 PM
..now I'm one of those who liked Country music back when "country was country"...ie-Buck Owens, Conway Twitty, Loretta Lynn, etc...I've never thought that any of the Eagles' songs were "country"...what the Eagles did was Country Rock, which is quite different...and is ALSO quite different than today's so called "country music", which I don't care for at all...but that's just MY opinion and I know I'm in the minority when I say I don't like today's country music..."country pop"....or whatever they call it...:yuck:

MikeA
04-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Eagles did was Country Rock

Yep, that was the big obstacle for the Eagles back in 72 and 73...and later too. The Rock Crowd thought of them as "Country". And the Country Crowd thought of them as "Rock". Most of us who liked them in the early days, really didn't know why other than we liked the sound they were producing. At least, that's the way I was. Not really a die-hard fan, but I liked them.

They had to be really REALLY good at what they were doing to be successful because they were sort of riding the fence. But they made it okay for Rockers to listen to and appreciate the more Country Style they had and do it without losing status with their Rocker Friends.

I think it was a stroke of genius that they broke into the business as "Country Rock". There were already a lot of very successful Rock Bands and the Country market was not easy to break into either. "Country Rock" was something that had never been highly successful for anyone until the Eagles came along and made "Country Rock" COOL. You could actually go out and rope goats wearing sandles and bellbottoms with a flowerdy shirt with blouse sleeves ballooning in the wind and not get ridiculed too much by the acid-heads!

luvthelighthouse
04-15-2011, 12:32 AM
After watching the videos Soda posted ... Now more than ever I don't see the Eagles as country.

WalshFan88
04-15-2011, 12:44 AM
Desperado may not be Country at all. But it sounds drastically different than any other Eagles album IMO. I don't know what it is about it that I don't like. As I love Eagles, On The Border, etc.

Eagles went to straightahead "Classic Rock"/AOR (Album Oriented Rock/my kind of music) in '76 I'd say with the release of Hotel California. By the time of The Long Run, it was ALL rock. Now with the latest Long Road Out Of Eden, it is getting back to more country rock. I prefer the more straightahead rock years (HC, TLR, but also like OTB and OOTN). But I love the first, third, and fourth albums too.

Desperado has one track I do like - Out Of Control. The most "rocky" song on the album.

I've always been a Classic Rock/AOR purist to like the highest level! :lol: I like some blues but 99.99 percent of what I listen to is mainstream Classic Rock (well known bands from the 70s). I'm also one to listen to mainly the hits over and over and never get tired of them.

I love to categorize and label albums and music and it drives some of my musician friends nuts but I've always loved to classify and label things (no matter what they are). I will pick apart an album and find genres within an album even. It's just my nature. I've got a bad habit of being a 70s/80s rock purist. Old habits die hard. That's why I like the effects in concerts. It's my era LOL!

I'm looking forward to this game. I do like Out Of Control and somewhat like the title track too. So I guess you can tell which ones I'm saving! ;)

UK TimFan
04-15-2011, 10:05 AM
I can take almost anything the Eagles throw at me as long as they don't start moving toward RAP!
The day the Eagles do rap really will be the day 'Hell freezes over'. :grin:

Annabel
04-15-2011, 02:04 PM
I spent an hour and a half this morning listening to this album over and over again. Actually this :grooving:was me as I walked round delivering. I don't know this album well but I do have some faves. Just have to work out some kind of order now. :shrug: Think I'll listen a few more times to be sure.

GlennLover
04-17-2011, 02:32 PM
My favorite album alternates between Desperado & On The Border. There is one song on Desperado that I sometimes skip so I know what one I want to vote off first. It will be difficult to determine the order in which I want to eliminate the rest of them :headscratch:.

I don`t like what I call real country music, like Loretta Lynn & Porter Wagner. I never considered the Eagles`s music to be country, just country rock & rock.

Should be a very interesting game!

EaglesFanatic
04-17-2011, 04:44 PM
I better start listening to the album! I have no idea how my lineup will look. I'm excited to see which song wins this one :nod: