PDA

View Full Version : How did you become a fan of the Eagles/a specific Eagle?

Pages : 1 [2]

Ive always been a dreamer
07-29-2011, 10:18 AM
I really enjoyed reading your story, Windeagle. I've said many times before how much I love this thread. I don't know what it is, but, it is really interesting for me to hear about how folks developed their fandom and found their way here to The Border.

Brooke
07-29-2011, 10:22 AM
We, loved your Eagles story! Thanks so much for sharing it with us and it sounds like you are going to absolutely love it here! :thumbsup:

Windeagle
07-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks, Brooke. I already love it here. You all are a lot of fun and I'm having a great time reading the old threads - and checking out the pics. I actually arrived at The Border via GFOnline, so thanks go to soda as well.

And TBF, I liked the Cars first album and Candy-O, but then they went a little too pop for me. Those two CDs made it onto the iPod. Being a local band, I do still have a sentimental spot for them though.

GlennLover
07-29-2011, 10:13 PM
I actually arrived at The Border via GFOnline, so thanks go to soda as well.

I got here the same way, Windeagle. If it weren't for Soda I would never have learned so much about Glenn & the Eagles or connected with such wonderful people!

TimothyBFan
08-01-2011, 08:29 AM
And TBF, I liked the Cars first album and Candy-O, but then they went a little too pop for me . Those two CDs made it onto the iPod. Being a local band, I do still have a sentimental spot for them though.

Well everyone has their faults!! :hilarious: Just kidding!! BTW--Candy-O is my fave!!

Since they were a local band (very cool!!) if you just happen to have any good info, concert reviews, tidbits, etc.... especially about my beloved Benjamin Orr, PLEASE feel free to go to the Cars thread and post them!!

sodascouts
08-01-2011, 04:10 PM
I love reading these stories, too!

Windeagle
08-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Since they were a local band (very cool!!) if you just happen to have any good info, concert reviews, tidbits, etc.... especially about my beloved Benjamin Orr, PLEASE feel free to go to the Cars thread and post them!!

Will do.

Tori
08-04-2011, 09:59 PM
One night when I was about nine years old, my parents were leaving me at home with my aunt to go to an Eagles concert. Being that young and incredibly attached to my parents, I didn't want them to leave. So naturally, I blamed it on that darned band they were going to see. What's so great about this band?, I asked myself.
My mom had a cassette of the Hotel California album in her car, and she'd play it a lot. I remember hearing Hotel California, Wasted Time, The Last Resort and especially Victim of Love and loving every minute of them. When I asked my mom who sang those songs, she told me, "The Eagles."
Needless to say, I didn't dislike them anymore. I've loved them ever since.
So I grew up with the Eagles. I have vivid memories of my uncle coming to my house and playing Take It Easy on the guitar. I spent endless hours watching a VHS tape of the Hell Freezes Over concert that aforementioned uncle borrowed to my mom. (He still hasn't gotten it back, and I still watch it to this day... I don't think he's going to get it back.) And I also remember having a rather big crush on HFO-era Don Henley... but mostly for his hair. God, I loved his hair back then. :nahnah:
I guess that's how I became a fan. I've been to two concerts: Farewell 1 when was about ten years old in Green Bay, Wisconsin that I hardly remember, and Long Road Out Of Eden when I was thirteen. I've been to other concerts, sure, but those two are my absolute favorites. (Especially Glenn at LROOE: "Welcome to the Eagles Assisted Living tour." :nahnah: ) If they ever do another tour, it's my goal to see them a 3rd time in concert.
I've just gotten back into the Eagles recently - I got a couple songs off of iTunes and have been listening nonstop the past couple days. And I found this site, so now I have other people to share my love of the Eagles! :)

sodascouts
08-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Cool! And we're glad to have you, Tori!

Judy
08-04-2011, 11:51 PM
Loved your story. That's so cute that you were crushing on Don when you were little. Did you get a chance to look at and listen to some of the downloads on here? I can tell you like Don songs, so I assume you like his voice. What other Eagles are your favorites and why?

Henley Honey
08-05-2011, 06:54 AM
And I also remember having a rather big crush on HFO-era Don Henley... but mostly for his hair. God, I loved his hair back then. :nahnah:

It appears that you good taste in music is surpassed by your powers of observation. In other words -- heck yeah HFO Don is hot -- and he can sing too!!! We've had a big debate around here about Don's facial hair. Goatee (beard) or no? What do you think, Tori?

Tori
08-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Goatee (beard) or no? What do you think, Tori?
I'm not the biggest fan of the goatee, in all honesty.

What other Eagles are your favorites and why?
I like all of them, really - but I especially love Joe because of his onstage antics. He's so funny!

EaglesKiwi
08-06-2011, 04:16 AM
I'm not the biggest fan of the goatee, in all honesty.

Fair enough...

I like all of them, really - but I especially love Joe because of his onstage antics. He's so funny!
Well said!

Topkat
09-11-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm a Newbie here, & I loved reading all your stories of how you came to love the Eagles, so here's mine:
The 70's
As a teen in the 70's there was tons of great music out there & at 16 I was blessed with a little part time job in the record department at a large store. I was on the evening shift & we were allowed to open any album up & play them for the department. I came upon the Delivern' album by Poco, so I opened it & put it on. I immediately fell in love with this band & bought the 2 previous albums. I was taken by the young bass player Timothy B Schmit. He looked about 16 in those days, but later found that he was a little older. He & Richie were my favorites. I started going to all their concerts, & they played NYC a lot. I swear I must have seen them 20 times, & I mean up-close, because they played small or mid-sized venues, where I was able to get great seats. I was a concert junkie those days. All my record store money went to concerts! I had also seen the Eagles during this time with Randy, Don Felder & I'm not sure, but may have been Bernie. They were really good & I had the Eagles first album & Desperado, but at that time, Poco was my band. I mean, live they were just on fire. I remember Timmy & Richie as particularly engaging. Tim was always smiling & even dancing; I could barely take my eyes off him.
I saw them live as much as possible. When Tim left Poco to join the Eagles, I was happy for him, but in some ways very sad, because I knew there would be no more front row seats & small venues. Poco was somehow the fabulous band that didn't make it huge! What a bunch of talent & energy!! My Poco days were numbered. Of course, I had to get The Long Run, & little did I know this was recorded in Miami, when I was at Univ. of Miami, not far from where I was. They did a tour after that album & got to see them, & I grew to love the rest of the Eagles as well. Don Henley & Glenn Frey grew on me. Joe & Don on guitar, Yumo! How did I not even notice how freekin' sexy Joe Walsh was back then, I will NEVER know??
Well, then suddenly, the Eagles were no more.... Poof, just GONE. I had no idea what happened to them. I had totally lost track of Timothy in the 80's. I did get Henley's solo album & saw him in concert, He blew me away with The End of the Innocence, but it just wasn't the same & I missed the rest of the band.
In 1992, I was lucky enough to see Ringo Starr & his All Star Band, with Timothy & Joe Walsh at Radio City; which is a great place for a show. Not too big, with fantastic acoustics. That was some show, with Todd Rundgren, Nils Zoflen, Burt Cumming. What a great night that was.
HELL FREEZES OVER;
FF to 1994, when the Eagles are BACKKKK, Yeah baby, & me & my then boyfriend got to see that AMAZING show in NY, I think it was at the Garden. They were better than ever. It was eargasms all over the place!! The band was tighter, Loved Joe Walsh, giving some harder rock edge. YUMM & Timothy singing, I Can't Tell You Why,, was one of the highlights for me.
THE NEW MILLENIUM:
Seeing the Eagles these days, is no easy task & they seem to play at the biggest places, where good seats go for like $700., so that's not happening for me. I did get to see them in 2002, I think it was, but my seats were like way up in the sky. I still enjoyed it, but I so miss those smaller places where you can really see & not have to look at the big screen. I'm still kicking myself in the butt for not even knowing that Tim played at The Bottom Line when his CD came out, because that place is about as intimate as you can get. I mean it's tiny. So as not to miss out on anything like that ever again.... here I am joining The Border, to keep up with what's going on in Eagle land these days.:angel:

sodascouts
09-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks for telling us your story, TK! I'm hoping Tim will tour again sometime, even if it's just a few shows. Hey, if he can do it once, he can do it twice!

Topkat
09-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Well. I hope you're right, but it's not very likely. Still hope to see the Eagles again, "One of these nights"!!

Koala
09-12-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks TK, I agree it's always interesting to read the personal stories in this thread!

EaglesKiwi
09-12-2011, 04:24 AM
Thanks for posting, TK. I especially enjoyed hearing about Tim having so much fun on stage in the Poco days.

TimothyBFan
09-12-2011, 07:22 AM
I'm still kicking myself in the butt for not even knowing that Tim played at The Bottom Line when his CD came out, because that place is about as intimate as you can get. I mean it's tiny. So as not to miss out on anything like that ever again.... here I am joining The Border, to keep up with what's going on in Eagle land these days.

I wish you would of seen that show also. Several of us here saw him in Chicago at a venue that held only 200 and we were all right at his feet and what a show it was!!! It was a dream come true for this girl who had been a fan for decades-a very emotional and happy experience for sure. We all agreed it was something we won't forget and knowing we were only a few of not many that will ever get that chance since Timothy just doesn't do solo shows, made it even more special.

luvthelighthouse
09-13-2011, 12:19 AM
I will say, I am a little jealous you were able to see Timothy and Richie singing together back in the day! Listening to those Poco songs, it's just magical to my ears. I simply adore the Richie/Timothy sound, at times, often sounding like one... yes, it would have been amazing to witness.

I will agree with TBF, we were in Chicago together to see Timothy and it was a night to remember! Especially because seeing him on his little solo tour was extremely rare! I hope you get the same chance one day.

Topkat
09-15-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm so glad some of you got to see Timothy's solo show. Like I said, I was so upset that I didn't hear about it. It's not likely he will be doing that again, but hey, you never know.
I found a video of him singing Poco song, 'What am I Gonna Do" in Sacramento & he tells a little story about the song. I will post it over in the video section.

Yes, Tim & Richie were great together in Poco,& I was pretty upset when Richie left the band, but I hung in there with Poco until Timothy left because Paul, & George also sang very well. I had no idea that Rusty had a great voice also, because in the early days, he didn't even open his mouth! Lot's of talent in that band especially in the early days.

09-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks for sharing your story, tk. I love reading these too. As I said in another thread, you are sooooo lucky to have seen that HFO show. I'm very :jealous: !

Prettymaid
09-20-2011, 12:26 PM
I hold out hope that Timothy will put out another album and tour. I think he enjoyed the whole experience!

TimothyBFan
09-21-2011, 07:21 AM
I hold out hope that Timothy will put out another album and tour. I think he enjoyed the whole experience!

:pray:

09-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Wow - wouldn't that be awesome!!! :nod: :nod: :nod:

Glennsallnighter
09-26-2011, 04:56 PM
He might include Ireland if he comes to Europe? After all, he now has Irish Citizenship :wink:

Slate CM
12-28-2011, 12:39 AM
As far as I can remember I have been a fan from the start. I grew up in Southern California (or is that Winslow, Arizona?);-) and as a child my dad always had a radio on somewhere. The first time I heard Witchy Woman it seemed a little scary to a young boy.

As soon as I made my own money from a paper route I bought GH 71-75 and I guess I've been On The Border ever since.

EaglesKiwi
12-28-2011, 04:10 AM
As far as I can remember I have been a fan from the start. I grew up in Southern California (or is that Winslow, Arizona?);-) and as a child my dad always had a radio on somewhere. The first time I heard Witchy Woman it seemed a little scary to a young boy.

As soon as I made my own money from a paper route I bought GH 71-75 and I guess I've been On The Border ever since.
How awesome to have been a fan from that age saving up to buy your first albums :D. And lucky you to have a dad with great taste in music too!

12-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Thanks for sharing that with us, Slate CM ... And what an awesome dad! :thumbsup:

zeldabjr
04-20-2012, 01:57 PM
I was just looking through this thread...very interesting stories...love to hear how people got into the guys...the first time I remember the Eagles was " Best of My Love"... I remember going to Twin Fair (old discount store like KMart) and buying the 45 of it... I think I wore it out...but never really paid attention to what band sang it... I just knew I loved the song... I do remember hearing Eagles songs on the radio and what a big deal it was when Hotel California came out...but I don't think I even realized that they were the same group that sang "Best of My Love"...duh....fast forward to college and The Long Run...fell in love with "I Can't Tell You Why" the first time I heard it on the radio...didn't realize it was the Eagles..didn't sound like any of their voices to me...but I was in love with it...then...no more Eagles...followed Don and Glenn's solo careers loosely in the eighties and loosely got into the earlier stuff...I remember thinking how talented this group is...they have more than one lead singer... in fact I thought it was interesting that my fav song "I Can't Tell You Why" was sung by " the long haired guy" and not Don or Glenn...I later found out "the long haired guy's name" but never paid any attention to anything but I knew I loved that voice... Then came "HFO"... got the CD and DVD...It was the first time I had really looked at any of them... and I remember thinking...that's Timothy B. Schmit?...oh dear...the voice now had a face to me...and baby what a face! the rest is history.

zelda

prayfordaylight
04-20-2012, 03:24 PM
My mom was a huge fan of "Miami Vice" and always loved "You Belong To The City" so that was probably my first taste as a little one. I always liked a lot of the Eagles songs I heard on the radio growing up and growing up during the 80s/90s, I knew Glenn (besides YBTTC) and Don's solo music as well. My fanaticism didn't go full tilt until after HFO and went sort of hand in hand with my Fleetwood Mac fandom.

As for a specific Eagle, well, obviously Glenn the first Eagle I knew by name and it didn't hurt when HFO was what got me hooked on the band since we all know how good he looked then!

sodascouts
04-20-2012, 04:15 PM
As for a specific Eagle, well, obviously Glenn the first Eagle I knew by name and it didn't hurt when HFO was what got me hooked on the band since we all know how good he looked then!

No kidding! When I was still a new fan in 2005, the first picture I saw of Glenn that made me go "HOLY CRAP GLENN FREY IS HOT" was a screenshot of him singing "Girl from Yesterday."

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/hfo104.JPG

I was still a teenager when Hell Freezes Over came out and, while I observed that Glenn Frey still looked good at the time, I didn't think about it much after the show ended and I turned off the TV. There was a picture on my HFO cassette tape but when I went to college, I left all my cassette tapes at home and only brought my CDs - and neither Greatest Hits CD had any photos of the guys. I listened to the music but didn't really have a visual reference as by then, how they'd looked on the MTV special was a vague memory.

Obviously, all these years later, that is no longer the case. :lol:

04-21-2012, 08:01 PM
I love it whenever this thread is revived - it's always been one of my favorites. I can't tell you why ... but I just love reading about how folks became fans. :yay:

Koala
04-22-2012, 12:59 AM
I love to Read all these stories! Thanks for sharing!

Glennsallnighter
04-22-2012, 04:49 AM
I love seeing this thread revived too. Your stories are great Zelda and P4D. As I posted earlier in the thread but will summarise, I was very familiar with many of the Eagles old 70s hits but like Soda had no idea what they looked like (and at age 10 probably wouldn't have cared). Then I saw Glenn :heart: sing Sexy Girl on the TV in 84 and he was definitely easy on the eye. I would have known a few of his 80s hits but radio was my main means of accessing music then. All changed one night (11 June 2006) when I went to see them play in Dublin. As soon as the band came out it was 'OMG is that Glenn Frey....... He is &@*%#$* HOT :smokin::inlove: :fainting: :thud: and that was before he started singing!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-22-2012, 10:19 AM
I had heard and liked a lot of their early songs, but didn't know who sang them. I was young enough I didn't really care, and the DJs were horrible at telling you who sang something. Then Best of My Love was popular and I knew who the Eagles were because of that. Then I saw a picture of them in a teen magazine and had my first glimpse of Glenn. Oh my. :smitten: The very first time a man ever made my knees weak.

Glennsallnighter
04-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Awwwwww. How sweet VA. And I bet he stii does. :inlove:

VAisForEagleLovers
04-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Awwwwww. How sweet VA. And I bet he stii does. :inlove:

Ya think?!? :fainted: :spin: :smokin:

Victim of Love
04-23-2012, 01:37 AM
I was born an Eagles fan. Mom tells this story about how she would put the stereo headset across her abdomen because she wanted me to learn to love 'em in the womb. And guess what....IT WORKED!

EaglesKiwi
04-23-2012, 04:28 AM
I was born an Eagles fan. Mom tells this story about how she would put the stereo headset across her abdomen because she wanted me to learn to love 'em in the womb. And guess what....IT WORKED!
That's really funny! And sweet...

lizzyplays
05-02-2012, 08:13 AM
In honor of my first Eagles concert in 2 days, I thought I'd answer this question.

I can't remember exact years... circa 76-77... but I know that it was when I was a teenager because I can see myself sitting on the floor in my bedroom, headphones on, music blasting in my ears, drowning out the world behind me. <cue violins> I had a terrible father, and my escape was to lock myself in my room, push furniture in front of the door... (because I didn't want to have any interaction with him when he came home drunk, reeking of cheap beer). I had a collection of over 300 albums, which I thought was pretty darn good for a kid my age of 13 or 14! I joined every 'record club' there was out there to get the 15 for a penny deal. I would buy the required amount then cancel the membership and rejoin months later when they sent me a new deal in the mail. At the time, because I couldn't afford to buy EVERY album that a group had, I opted in many occasions for a greatest hits album, thusly, the iconic Eagles - Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 was my choice for Eagles albums. I was floored by the harmonies and by the fact that there were so many different singers. Already Gone and Take It Easy were early favorites. Then of course came Hotel California later on and it became my anthem. From the time I was a little girl, I wanted to live in the beautiful, palm-tree lined streets of California... not dirty, dusty tobacco road farms in NC. I did a lot of day dreaming to that song!

I was growing up at a time when long hair on boys was the norm and I, like everyone else was attracted to that hippie look. I remember with long awaited anticipation of The Long Run and flipping it over to see that most of the guys had cut their hair shorter, especially GLENN. Devastation doesn't even cover what I felt about the hair. Although, at my age now, he obviously was super hot during those years, but back then I thought he had become too 'preppy'. Keep in mind, I was hanging out with er, um, the stoners at school and so Glenn had, looks-wise, gone to the 'other side.' Ahh... sometimes being a kid is so silly.... In those later years too, I wasn't a fan of his solo stuff or the whole Miami Vice look. I guess I was still clinging to the 70's and more hard core rock and roll like Led Zep, Floyd, etc. I still LOVED the classic Eagles songs but I was not a fan of any of the 80's music in general at all. Worse decade in music in my opinion....

Anyways, that was rather lengthy! But, it's a pretty good account of my life with the Eagles. I will always favor the old classics the most. I'm still upset that I won't be seeing or hearing "Already Gone" played. I guess I have to come to terms with that.

Brooke
05-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Great story lizzy! Thanks for sharing it with us!

The long hair on Glenn (and all the guys) has always appealed to me too since I was also a teenager back then. It's still my favorite.

eaglesvet
05-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Mine is not too exciting. Back in the day when bigger was better when it came to buying stereo systems, I remember going into a "stereo store" with my parents to purchase my first system in 8th grade in 1975. Stereo stores would have acoustically-enhanced rooms where you could play all the different components you were considering, and test out their sounds before making your purchase. Nothing like buying the thinnest I-Pod today, and then getting a light-up I-Dog like my 9-yr-old Graham has! Anyway, for my birthday my parents bought me a receiver, turntable, and 2 large speakers...so I was all set! And the next thing I did was buy my first 3 albums: Bruce's Born to Run, the Eagles One of these Nights, and Chicago VIII. Along the way, Chicago dropped out of my radar completely; but as you all know, the other 2 musical groups are ranked as high on my list now as they were back then! :band:
I didn't know if I would be able to bump up my previous reply...let's see!

eaglesvet
05-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Oh, as far as specific Eagle, I would have to say it was at the HFO concert at the Meadowlands. We were actually on the floor level, but quite a ways back--maybe mid-arena or farther, so nothing to write home (or on the Border) about. But, once I laid eyes on Glenn, it was all over for me. They all looked hot, but he was :smokin: !
Lookie-there, I can!

Freypower
05-02-2012, 06:37 PM
In honor of my first Eagles concert in 2 days, I thought I'd answer this question.

I can't remember exact years... circa 76-77... but I know that it was when I was a teenager because I can see myself sitting on the floor in my bedroom, headphones on, music blasting in my ears, drowning out the world behind me. <cue violins> I had a terrible father, and my escape was to lock myself in my room, push furniture in front of the door... (because I didn't want to have any interaction with him when he came home drunk, reeking of cheap beer). I had a collection of over 300 albums, which I thought was pretty darn good for a kid my age of 13 or 14! I joined every 'record club' there was out there to get the 15 for a penny deal. I would buy the required amount then cancel the membership and rejoin months later when they sent me a new deal in the mail. At the time, because I couldn't afford to buy EVERY album that a group had, I opted in many occasions for a greatest hits album, thusly, the iconic Eagles - Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 was my choice for Eagles albums. I was floored by the harmonies and by the fact that there were so many different singers. Already Gone and Take It Easy were early favorites. Then of course came Hotel California later on and it became my anthem. From the time I was a little girl, I wanted to live in the beautiful, palm-tree lined streets of California... not dirty, dusty tobacco road farms in NC. I did a lot of day dreaming to that song!

I was growing up at a time when long hair on boys was the norm and I, like everyone else was attracted to that hippie look. I remember with long awaited anticipation of The Long Run and flipping it over to see that most of the guys had cut their hair shorter, especially GLENN. Devastation doesn't even cover what I felt about the hair. Although, at my age now, he obviously was super hot during those years, but back then I thought he had become too 'preppy'. Keep in mind, I was hanging out with er, um, the stoners at school and so Glenn had, looks-wise, gone to the 'other side.' Ahh... sometimes being a kid is so silly.... In those later years too, I wasn't a fan of his solo stuff or the whole Miami Vice look. I guess I was still clinging to the 70's and more hard core rock and roll like Led Zep, Floyd, etc. I still LOVED the classic Eagles songs but I was not a fan of any of the 80's music in general at all. Worse decade in music in my opinion....

Anyways, that was rather lengthy! But, it's a pretty good account of my life with the Eagles. I will always favor the old classics the most. I'm still upset that I won't be seeing or hearing "Already Gone" played. I guess I have to come to terms with that.

When Glenn cut his hair, it had precisely the opposite effect on me. When he had long hair I had no interest in him at all. Obviously once I 'fell' for him I had to look at the long hair more subjectively, but I can never say that I thought he looked better then.

The members of my previous favourite band had long hair; by the time The Long Run came along & I knew one of the Eagles was going to be 'chosen' as my favourite I was looking for something different, and I got it.

TimothyBFan
05-03-2012, 08:37 AM
I remember with long awaited anticipation of The Long Run and flipping it over to see that most of the guys had cut their hair shorter, especially GLENN. Devastation doesn't even cover what I felt about the hair.

I remember flipping open that gatefold too but I noticed some long hair I really liked!!! :woah::inlove:

I guess I was still clinging to the 70's and more hard core rock and roll like Led Zep, Floyd, etc. I still LOVED the classic Eagles songs but I was not a fan of any of the 80's music in general at all. Worse decade in music in my opinion....

We really are sisters from different mothers, aren't we? :bye:

lizzyplays
05-12-2012, 12:57 AM
I remember flipping open that gatefold too but I noticed some long hair I really liked!!! :woah::inlove:

We really are sisters from different mothers, aren't we? :bye:

I'm telling you, I have a half sister out there somewhere. :shrug: She's half-French... and big surprise, :thud: her name is Monique.

Perhaps I can start calling you Monique? :smokin:

AlreadyGone95
07-31-2015, 10:09 PM
I came across this thread while browsing through an old Frey Fever thread. I must say that I enjoyed reading about ya'll became Eagles fans. I figured that I would post my story in case someone didn't see it in my New Kid in Town thread. It's not very interesting (except to me of course). I know that I will be a complete newbie for a long time compared to some of you, lol.

I've enjoyed music since I was young. IMy parents' generation of music is mostly what I like. Music, as a whole, is probably the most important thing in my life. Without it, I'm nearly 100% positive that I wouldn't be sitting here typing this.
(The) Eagles are among the bands that I grew up hearing. I've loved their hit songs since I can remember. Even though I loved the band's music, I'd never seen a picture of them (at least one that wasn't the Desperado cover). I vaguely knew about Don H, and I knew a bit more about Glenn Frey(ie: the song Smuggler's Blues thanks to my mom ), but apart from that I knew nothing else. I just loved the music. Heck, I thought that Don Henley did all of the singingď

Then,back in late April, I was at my uncle's house. He was using youtube to try and stump me on songs. He'd play the song, but then he'd cover up the screen until I got it right. About the 5th round of this, he played the Boys of Summer video. I knew the song, but forgot who sang it. He uncovered the screen and there was Don! My reaction "That's Don Henley?!":woah: Not a bad looking man!

Anyway, I had Boys of Summer stuck in my head for days. Around the time that I managed to get that song out of my head, I had the Eagles live on vinyl that I had just gotten and I was looking at it when a poster fell out (I didn't know that there was one inside ) who's face popped up, but Glenn Frey's! I looked at him (Long Run era) and was like: :drool:... At that time, I was waiting for 2 records to come in: Hotel California and the Long Run. Glenn's HC look didn't appeal to me, but the photo in the gatefold of the Long Run sure did!

Then I remembered the Smuggler's Blues song. I used my smartphone and found the video for it. When I saw Glenn with that stubble, I was like:smitten: :drool: :thud:.. I was hooked!
Then, for about two weeks, I poured into research about Glenn and Eagles. I found out that Glenn was a singer as well in the band. He sang my favorite Eagles song, Outlaw Man and my namesake, Already Gone, which is probably my 3rd favorite Eagles song. I found out that Joe Walsh was a member. I've known the lyrics to Life's Been Good since I was 8 or so!

The straw that broke the camel's back was seeing Glenn on Miami Vice. My uncle I watched part of it together online, and when I saw Jimmy: :heart: :faint: :thud: :inlove:... that was it. I was now completely hooked, and possibly obsessed. (Er... make that definitely obsessed).

Over 3 months later, here I am. I've enjoyed learning all that I can about the band and Glenn. I've also enjoyed talking up a storm on here. (Almost 1,000 posts in 2 and a half months! :shock: I talk way too much).

I told my uncle that I couldn't believe how long it took for me to "discover" the Eagles more than just on the radio. His response "You knew about them. You just hadn't had the right moment yet". Without him, I wouldn't have had it!

Er, this post turned out to be longer that I had intended, sorry.

Glennsallnighter
08-01-2015, 05:00 AM
Thanks for sharing your story with us AG! I love Glenn :heart: on Already Gone too. He ripped it apart on the HOTE shows. Loved it!

DivineDon
08-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Okay, I'm admitting my age but I was in my early teens when Dirty Laundry came out and my brother was a huge fan. Then when BOS came out I remember seeing the video and thought Don Henley was uber hot but I had no idea he had been in the Eagles. Then I saw Glenn in Miami Vice and thought he was cool but didn't even know he could sing never mind that he too was a former Eagle.

So anyway, in the mid 80s my brother had a friend whose party piece (after a few drinks) was always Desperado and I loved it but thought it was by Linda Ronstadt (I know I was a confused teen!). Eventually, this friend revealed that, no, er, actually it's by the Eagles...and I already loved TITLL but again no connection to the two boys. So I bought The Very best of the Eagles cassette and nearly wore it out. In the meantime I was still a huge fan of Don's and listening to the cassette one day....duh!...it finally clicked and I recognized THAT voice so I grabbed the sleeve notes and saw, songwriters, Don Henley and Glenn Frey on most of the songs! Well, talk about an eureka moment. I couldn't believe I'd been so stupid, but remember I was a teenager with a lot going on....

....to cut a long story short, and believe it or not I am, my love for Don continued unabated over the years but I finally openly declared it after seeing the HOTE doc and admitted, 'yes, I am addicted to Don Henley' and what's more, I seem to have grown more in love with him the more I read and hear about him. As my mother says, he just ticks all my boxes- intelligent, articulate, compassionate, passionate and oh so gorgeous...but thanks to this site (and FB) I can indulge in my obsession. ...
....sorry Glenn, I know you're a cool dude but DON was and always will be my first and only love. :heart::heart::heart:

AlreadyGone95
08-01-2015, 12:16 PM
Thanks for sharing your story with us AG! I love Glenn :heart: on Already Gone too. He ripped it apart on the HOTE shows. Loved it!

I wish that I could've seen him sing it. Unfortunately, fate saw me become a fan a bit too late to attend a show. :sad:. At least I have F1 to watch!

I must say, I got a few chuckles reading about buying the vinyl/cassettes and here I am mainly because of youtube! Of course, if I didn't buy the Eagles live vinyl, I wouldn't know who Glenn is!

VAisForEagleLovers
08-01-2015, 02:14 PM
Okay, I'm admitting my age but I was in my early teens when Dirty Laundry came out and my brother was a huge fan. Then when BOS came out I remember seeing the video and thought Don Henley was uber hot but I had no idea he had been in the Eagles. Then I saw Glenn in Miami Vice and thought he was cool but didn't even know he could sing never mind that he too was a former Eagle.

So anyway, in the mid 80s my brother had a friend whose party piece (after a few drinks) was always Desperado and I loved it but thought it was by Linda Ronstadt (I know I was a confused teen!). Eventually, this friend revealed that, no, er, actually it's by the Eagles...and I already loved TITLL but again no connection to the two boys. So I bought The Very best of the Eagles cassette and nearly wore it out. In the meantime I was still a huge fan of Don's and listening to the cassette one day....duh!...it finally clicked and I recognized THAT voice so I grabbed the sleeve notes and saw, songwriters, Don Henley and Glenn Frey on most of the songs! Well, talk about an eureka moment. I couldn't believe I'd been so stupid, but remember I was a teenager with a lot going on....

....to cut a long story short, and believe it or not I am, my love for Don continued unabated over the years but I finally openly declared it after seeing the HOTE doc and admitted, 'yes, I am addicted to Don Henley' and what's more, I seem to have grown more in love with him the more I read and hear about him. As my mother says, he just ticks all my boxes- intelligent, articulate, compassionate, passionate and oh so gorgeous...but thanks to this site (and FB) I can indulge in my obsession. ...
....sorry Glenn, I know you're a cool dude but DON was and always will be my first and only love. :heart::heart::heart:

Yes, we definitely let our obsessions have full rein here!

DD, don't feel bad. I had a similar path where Don was concerned. It wasn't until End of The Innocence came out that I realized Don Henley had been an Eagle. I never knew his name. I knew Glenn, but Don was always 'the other guy'. I liked Don's solo material well enough, but never felt the need to buy it until EOTI, I had to own that one, it's simply incredible. A conversation with a friend is what cleared it all up for me.

Flash forward fifteen years or so and I was watching Farewell 1 with some friends. They were Eagles fans and owned most of the CDs, and one of them asked me what was the name of the guy playing drums. So I told her. Her mouth dropped open and she said, "Don Henley is one of the Eagles? Has he always been an Eagle?" She knew Glenn, of course. It made me feel good to know it hadn't just been me. :D

DJ
08-01-2015, 03:42 PM
I must admit in my tweens and teens I adored Glenn because he had such a bad boy look. Then there was Don H. with those beautiful blue eyes, didn't care for the hair much,LOL. But I must say Randy won my soul. His beautiful hair, eyes and warmth won me over. I'm a sucker for his boy like charm.:partytime:

P.S. Always been a huge fan of the music, Desperado album was it for me.

L101
08-01-2015, 04:34 PM
I used to listen to my brothers records all the time when I was younger and Hotel California was one of them. The late night radio station here used to play HC and Goodnight Saigon (Billy Joel) all the time and I would spend hours just waiting to hear them.

Then Glenn released The heat is on and I loved it so I bought 'The Allnighter' which I still love. When he appeared on Miami Vice, I thought WOW!!
But then Don appeared with 'Boys of Summer' and that was it - Don was the man!! Those eyes and that voice....:thumbsup:

My interest in the Eagles was really revived when Hell Freezes over happened and I discovered that Don and Glenn were part of the Eagles,!! So I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't know that :grin:

SoaringRockyMountainWay
08-01-2015, 09:18 PM
I don't have a cool story about how I became an Eagles fan like you guys do. I was not alive yet when the Eagles first came out with their albums in the 70s, or when Don and Glenn came out with their solo albums, or when hell froze over. As a kid I heard the Eagles, Elton John, the Rolling Stones, etc. on the classic rock station but I never really knew who those guys were.

Then one day my mom told me after school that she recorded something for me on tv. It was HOTE. I watched it and I immediately became Eagles crazy. The minute I saw Glenn I pretty much fell head over heels for him. Later I realized Don H was hot too so now they're both equal to me. I'm willing to settle with they're both really really hot. :hilarious: Anyways, I started listening to nothing but the Eagles all the time and I basically became obsessed. Then I found this site where I can live out my Eagles craziness. :)

DivineDon
08-02-2015, 11:28 AM
Yes, we definitely let our obsessions have full rein here!

DD, don't feel bad. I had a similar path where Don was concerned. It wasn't until End of The Innocence came out that I realized Don Henley had been an Eagle. I never knew his name. I knew Glenn, but Don was always 'the other guy'. I liked Don's solo material well enough, but never felt the need to buy it until EOTI, I had to own that one, it's simply incredible. A conversation with a friend is what cleared it all up for me.

Flash forward fifteen years or so and I was watching Farewell 1 with some friends. They were Eagles fans and owned most of the CDs, and one of them asked me what was the name of the guy playing drums. So I told her. Her mouth dropped open and she said, "Don Henley is one of the Eagles? Has he always been an Eagle?" She knew Glenn, of course. It made me feel good to know it hadn't just been me. :D

Thanks VA, good to know I'm not the only 'silly-billy'! I mean how did I know (Henley/Frey) after a song meant Don Henley and Glenn Frey??? :eyebrow: I was but a child :hilarious: It could have been David Henley and George Frey :)

Despite the mix-up I'm glad I sorted it all out so I got to enjoy the brilliance of their combined and individual talents and while I appreciate Mr Frey, Mr Henley just does IT for me! I've always preferred punctilious boy over bad boy, Colin Firth over Hugh Grant if you like as I'm a bit OCD myself!! And I have to say, Don's speaking voice sends me to my knees :spin:

08-02-2015, 12:43 PM
I'm so glad this thread has been revived - it's one of my favorites. I love reading about how we all became fans (even though it pi$$es me off to read you young whippersnappers write things such as 'I wasn't even born when the band was together in the 70's'. <joking, of course :thumbsup:> I'm going to try to find some time to reread the entire thread soon. As I often say, even though I was 'chosen' by Glenn, I love and appreciate all the guys so much.

AlreadyGone95
08-02-2015, 12:53 PM
I'm so glad this thread has been revived - it's one of my favorites. I love reading about how we all became fans (even though it pi$$es me off to read you young whippersnappers write things such as 'I wasn't even born when the band was together in the 70's'. <joking, of course :thumbsup:> I'm going to try to find some time to reread the entire thread soon. As I often say, even though I was 'chosen' by Glenn, I love and appreciate all the guys so much.

Bolded part: :rofl:. You're not the first person I've heard say that. If it helps, there's a bit of running gag in my family that my birth year is semi backwards. It should be 1959, not 1995. :hilarious:

UndertheWire
08-02-2015, 01:40 PM
I’ve enjoyed reading through this thread – how did I miss it? I don’t have an extraordinary story to tell like some of you.

I know it started in 1972 with Jo Jo Gunne. I liked their single, “Run, Run, Run” and bought their debut album which was on the Asylum label. One of the tracks was called “Take It Easy”. So I was a bit perturbed when another Asylum act had a single released called “Take It Easy” and it was a different song. I didn’t like it much. However, I loved “Witchy Woman” and I must have been hooked because I bought the album.

I wasn’t a cool kid, but I was slightly cool in my musical tastes. I had older brothers and a sister and so I was exposed to their music but I was also not allowed to enjoy typical teenybopper tunes for fear of ridicule. I was ready to find my own niche and I went for what I knew as the “West Coast Sound”. The Eagles were my favourite – I bought Desperado, On the Border and One of These nights, spending hours transcribing the lyrics. I loved that they had four lead vocalists. It was about the music and the songs, not the way they looked. There weren’t many photos and even those tended to be grainy and grungy. Besides, none of them were blond. I think I did have a poster of them on my bedroom wall around 1975 – one of the set where Glenn is wearing a red plaid shirt – but I don’t remember drooling over any of them, although the shirt must have made an impression!

I never saw them live. The house rule was I couldn’t go to concerts until I was sixteen. Besides, they didn’t come to Wales and I wouldn’t have been allowed to go further than Cardiff. Looking back, I can’t believe that I didn’t make more of an effort to persuade my brother to take me with him to Wembley.

I went to university in 1977 and didn’t have a record player. I got home at Christmas and found my mother had bought herself Hotel California. Clearly they had become too main-stream and it was time to move on…
I remember hearing Boys of Summer and realising that must be the same Don Henley. I never made the connection with The Heat is On. Given how the Eagles had never been that big a deal in the UK, I never expected to hear any of them as solo artists. I no longer listened to a lot of music, and when I did, it was british artists. When the band was reuniting, I was buying my dream house, making babies and packing up my record player and record collection so that it didn’t get destroyed by toddlers.

My son gave me LROOE one Christmas and I didn’t play it for years. It was still in the shrink wrap. Why would I want to listen to a bunch of old has-beens?

So many things I didn’t know until recently…

- Randy leaving the band and Timothy joining
- the release of The Long Run
- the breakup in 1980
- the reunion in 1994
- the firing of Felder in 2001

And then…

AlreadyGone95
08-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Just keep us in suspense, UTW! Lol (joking)

See, the people who have been fans of the band since the 70s can break it up into different parts. Those of us new(er) fans can't do that!

VAisForEagleLovers
08-02-2015, 02:54 PM
I've stated it on the board before, but not in this thread. I knew Glenn was in the Eagles, of course, and if you read back to how I became a fan of his in particular, you'll see that it was from seeing picture. What I didn't mention here is that it was a conversation about NKIT that had a classmate bring in the photo from a previous article, I think from On The Border timeframe. I loved the Eagles, but one look at Glenn, and realizing he was incredible hunk who sang my beloved NKIT meant the others faded into the back of my mind (except for Joe as I was a fan of his before he joined). Which explained how I missed Don being a member!

The Long Run was the first album I ever bought, and my brother, sister, and I played it through at least three times every day after school/work.

In 1982, I learned that the Eagles had split, and I'd heard it was Glenn that split them. I was so mad at him for a while. A long while. My husband bought me the LP for No Fun Aloud and it was nearly two years before I took it out of the shrink wrap, I was that upset. Ah, the drama of early-adulthood!

Then, Glenn made a guest appearance on Miami Vice, my favorite show at the time. All was TOTALLY forgiven where Glenn was concerned! My husband recorded it on VHS, and would put it on to watch whenever he wanted to 'get me in the mood', which is a bit ridiculous because at that age, I was always in the mood. Still, I didn't mind a bit.

I did lose track of the Eagles when HFO came out. I've mentioned several times that I thought I had tickets to the show and found out the guy I thought I was going to the show with was taking someone else. For a time, just the mention of the Eagles or HFO made my physically ill at the remembrance. I got over that relatively quickly, but I was listening to country and the Eagles didn't have a website.

For the FW1 tour, I was traveling nearly every week and so I couldn't justify getting tickets. They did two shows in DC, then another later, and I tried to get tickets for the third show, but couldn't get good seats. When the special aired on NBC, I was hesitant to watch it. I'd recently watched concert footage of other favorite bands, and they'd been out of tune and looking older than their years. I didn't want to see my beloved Eagles, and especially the incredible hunk Glenn that way. Still, I turned it on halfway through the opening song (The Long Run) and was totally blown away. Not even 30 seconds in, my mouth had dropped open in pure astonishment. They were absolutely perfect and looked more amazing than anyone had a right to look. And Glenn... Wow. It was like being 14 years old all over again, and having my knees go weak over a man for the first time. I have to say, even after seeing them live all these times, I feel the same way every time they take the stage, and yes, my knees still go weak...

UndertheWire
08-02-2015, 06:03 PM
It was April 2013 and, for some reason, I was watching The One Show. It may be on every weekday but I only see it a couple of times a year. This time the guests were a couple of old blokes that they described as “The Eagles”. How could that be? I wasn’t that impressed by Glenn’s neat appearance and Joe’s slow speech. However, I did get the message that they had a new documentary and thought I might rent it sometime. A couple of months later I saw “History of the Eagles”, part 1 and part 2 and also “In Concert” in the tv listings and remembered to schedule them all to record before I went away for the weekend. When I got home, I thought I’d watch an hour before going to bed but you know how it goes.

I’m not a romantic and I’m quite interested in business. I like to know how things work. It’s not just about the money – you get to know the different jobs that people do and how they fit together. You realise that being able to sing in front of 20,000 people is only the tip of the iceberg: underneath there are hundreds of people who make it work and others doing their best to sink it. I wasn’t too worried about who was a nice guy and as an observer, I’ve always enjoyed a little ruthlessness. As a teenager, I was fascinated by Cesar Borgia, the model for Machiavelli’s Prince (and this was long before Francois Arnaud). We may all love a bad boy, but I like mine clever and devious.

I started to view without a favourite but by the end of part one, I was quite taken with Glenn. I thought he was engaging, I liked his story telling and I was amused by his bravado in the 70s footage. I read the reviews and message board at imdb and it was quite a shock to discover that many people seemed to feel otherwise. Even after part two, I couldn’t understand the fuss. For me, it seemed clear that Glenn was a key component in the band’s success. He’s there in every significant decision, every hiring and every firing.

Of course, I’ve followed this up by buying lots of CDs, a few DVDs and I opened that shrink-wrapped LROOE. What surprised me about that was I found that this time round, I liked Glenn’s voice best. I think it’s that when I was young, I liked the husky sexy voice of Don Henley whereas now I prefer a little smooth seduction. It’s a voice that can relax me.
I’ve read the books, interviews and articles and Glenn is now firmly established as my flawed hero. He intrigues me. One of the reasons I found my way here and stayed is that it’s one of the few places where it’s safe to admit that. I don’t get all hot and bothered by the sixty-something man and I find his occasional resemblance to Herman Munster a bit disturbing, but he was pretty hot when he was younger.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-02-2015, 06:20 PM
UTW, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who looked at Glenn's role in the Eagles from a business and managerial perspective. I've often wondered about those who so solidly disagree with his reasoning on a few things and wonder what kind of employees they are and what their bosses think of them... I imagine some are great employees and just disagree with Glenn for sentimental or objective reasons. Others, I think, disagree with him because they know they'd come out on the wrong side of him as well.

As for Fred Gwynne, yes, they both have deep-set eyes, a strong nose, and a rounded, prominent chin. I believe Fred was considered a rather good looking man back in his day.

AlreadyGone95
08-02-2015, 06:47 PM
I just went and watched The Munsters opening theme on youtube to compare Glenn and Fred Gwynne. I definitely see some similarities between them. I admit that I laughed when I read your comparison, UTW. I think that for his age, Glenn looks great! (That's probably an understatement)
However, being the age that I am, I prefer younger Glenn as well (especially the years 1979-1995)

In a way, I see Glenn as a role model for myself. I need some of his "take no bullcrap" demeanor. I admire how he can be blunt, but also kind. (Steel and sugar). He's been able to keep the band together and he takes the blame (or is given the blame) for the problems that plagued the band over the years. He doesn't suffer fools lightly. He put the band before himself. He doesn't hide and make excuses or blame others for his faults or the "bad" things he did in the best. He's brutally honest.

DJ
08-02-2015, 06:57 PM
I just remember Bernie leaving and I was ok with that because I dug Felder's guitar. But would sorely miss Bernie's banjo licks. Then Randy left and I died. Although I had seen Timmy in concert, Randy was a bass God to me, back then of course. I lost contact with their music until Don Henley recorded Boys of Summer and I fell in love with that tune. Such memories I have of finally being a free person for once in my life and living smack dab in the mountains in MT.Heaven.... Of course I loved Glenn on Miami Vice and dug smugglers blues, so I'd periodically listen to my old Eagles music. Then of course when they got back together years later I was married and my husband and I watched them together and I was alive again. But the big comeback was HOTE I love rock history and this band was always so mysterious in everything they did. I had to know, I had to dig up absolutely everything I could find on them from beginning to now. Needless to say I'm hooked big time still. And since HOTE I got into all of Randy's, Don's and Glenn's music. Always dug Joe's RMW since it was first played on the radio. I think my dream job would to be a dj at a radio station just to be able to listen to new music and play it for people for the first time, how exciting. :) P.S. My husband thinks I'm crazy but music makes me alive. His quote is when we get into my car "Now everyone I want you to know, this is a strictly Eagles music car" :hilarious:

TheWalrus1964
08-05-2015, 02:39 AM
I knew who the Eagles were and I would here some of their hits on classic rock stations and I enjoyed those songs, but I didn't think much of it then my friend had me listen to Desperado and I was like wow and he loaned me their greatest hits album and I've been a fan ever since.

NightMistBlue
08-19-2015, 04:05 PM
I always loved the Eagles music but didn't follow them closely as a band. Then I saw History of the Eagles about 9 months ago and saw this perfect face:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/IMG_7217_zpsd0b00861.jpg

I haven't been quite right since then.

LuvTim
08-19-2015, 06:59 PM
NMB, that's just downright sweet. :angel: And I think that documentary was an eye-opener for a lot of people.

08-19-2015, 11:06 PM
Love these stories, everyone. Keep 'em comin'!

shunlvswx
08-20-2015, 11:30 AM
I'm a newbie. I was born the same year the Eagles broke up. I was 5 months old. I was about to turn 6 months 3 days later. I had heard of Don and Glenn back in the 80s, but didn't know they were in a group. Heck I don't think I knew their names, just their faces. I actually didn't like Don or Glenn back then. I remembered The Heat Is On from Beverly Hills Cop, but I don't remember seeing Glenn on Miami Vice even though I grew up watching that show.

Fast forward to 1994. In 1994, I started to branch out and started listening to other genres. My favorite genre was country. My mother didn't approve of me listening to (excuse me for saying this), white people's music. I was only allowed to listen to rap and R&B.

So sometime either in 1994 or 1995 (I can't remembered), I remembered watching HFO. I kinda fell in love with their music, but wasn't a fan yet. When I first heard their were two Dons in the group. I was like which one is Henley and which one is Felder. :hilarious: You have to remembered I didn't know their names. I did started to like Don when I first saw them on tv.

So years gone by and I was still a closet Eagles fan. I did have some of their songs on my mp3 player (maybe between 10 to 15 songs that I've heard on the radio), but still wasn't a fan. It wasn't until 2013. I was flipping through the channels or reading the Uverse guide and saw HOTE was on Showtime. I didn't sit down and watched it at that moment. All I knew it was coming on every single day. Every time I was looking at the guide on my Uverse, it was on. So one day I finally sat down and watched it. I was so memorize by the documentary. I think I slowly started to like the Eagles. My love for Don was coming back to the surface. He became my favorite. Oh how I love those baby blue eyes. :thud::fainted:

When I first watched it, I was not impress with Glenn. I didn't like what he did to Don F, but as I continued to watch HOTE over and over again, I started to like Glenn. Its funny that I always thought Don was the boss of the group. Not Glenn. I understood why Glenn did what he did and I thought it was a good decision because the guys probably wouldn't be together today if they had continued.

I also learned about Bernie and Randy. I didn't know who they were. I remembered seeing them at the RRHOF. I was like who are these guys. I didn't even know that was Randy singing TITTL. I always thought it was Timothy. I don't know why I couldn't tell them apart, but back then I didn't know who was who. I remembered Bernie in the band Run C&W. I had heard of the band, but I didn't know he was in the band.

Today. They are my favorite band. I had knocked the Osmonds to no. 2. I always go through this phase of having a favorite singer or group and listen to nonstop. My favorite now is the Eagles. This phase has gone on for 2 years now. I still watch HOTE every single day and I still haven't gotten tired of watching it yet.

DivineDon
08-20-2015, 11:43 AM
And I think that documentary was an eye-opener for a lot of people.

So true. I liked the Eagles from the mid 80s on and TITTL was my favourite song. It wasn't until a few years later that I discovered Don H and Glenn had been in the the band duh!! I was already in love with Don since BOS but I have to say he had slightly fallen off my radar. Then, the HOTE documentary was a real eye opener for me. I really began to admire all of the band (apart from Mr Felder of course - he's a narcissist) and my love for Don H became an OBSESSION - I just completely and utterly adore him!!!!:hilarious:

NightMistBlue
08-20-2015, 12:55 PM
I wonder what the strange power of HOTE is, that it can turn casual fans into hardcore Eagles freaks. Or more likely, it's that the band is inherently fascinating and hadn't been sufficiently focused on before.

shunlvswx
08-20-2015, 01:26 PM
I forgot this. I remembered seeing The Eagles on CMAs performing How Long. I was like what are the Eagles doing on the CMAs, but I enjoyed their performance.

LuvTim
08-20-2015, 05:50 PM
Hi, guys, I've been on the road all day today, so missed you all!
Love hearing these stories, for sure. I've loved the Eagles since the 70's (I may have already said that) but I was really a kid back then. I bought the Greatest Hits album (my first LP) in 1976, I think, with my allowance money! Wasn't even old enough to hold a job! I always thought they were a hot bunch, no doubt, but Timothy was a known factor from Poco, as well. You know, we used the word "cute" a lot in those days, and Timmy was cuuute! Well, darn it, so was Randy...well, they all were cute! As the years went by, I got married and raised a family, so the radio was really my source of music because we didn't have buying albums in the budget! So thank goodness for classic rock stations, which I still listen to frequently, but not so much these days since we have the jump drive in the car and keep all of Poco and the Eagles in there at all times! So great to have that! Lately I've rediscovered vinyl and am now in the market for vintage copies of whatever Eagles material I can find. And truly, HOTE really flipped a switch in my brain, somehow. I started to remember how really great they are and how I really loved them. Now I'm crazy about Timmy all over again, and, with all due respect to his lovely wife, he's still so, so cuuute!

LuvTim
08-20-2015, 05:51 PM
I'm a newbie. I was born the same year the Eagles broke up. I was 5 months old. I was about to turn 6 months 3 days later. I had heard of Don and Glenn back in the 80s, but didn't know they were in a group. Heck I don't think I knew their names, just their faces. I actually didn't like Don or Glenn back then. I remembered The Heat Is On from Beverly Hills Cop, but I don't remember seeing Glenn on Miami Vice even though I grew up watching that show.

Fast forward to 1994. In 1994, I started to branch out and started listening to other genres. My favorite genre was country. My mother didn't approve of me listening to (excuse me for saying this), white people's music. I was only allowed to listen to rap and R&B.

So sometime either in 1994 or 1995 (I can't remembered), I remembered watching HFO. I kinda fell in love with their music, but wasn't a fan yet. When I first heard their were two Dons in the group. I was like which one is Henley and which one is Felder. :hilarious: You have to remembered I didn't know their names. I did started to like Don when I first saw them on tv.

So years gone by and I was still a closet Eagles fan. I did have some of their songs on my mp3 player (maybe between 10 to 15 songs that I've heard on the radio), but still wasn't a fan. It wasn't until 2013. I was flipping through the channels or reading the Uverse guide and saw HOTE was on Showtime. I didn't sit down and watched it at that moment. All I knew it was coming on every single day. Every time I was looking at the guide on my Uverse, it was on. So one day I finally sat down and watched it. I was so memorize by the documentary. I think I slowly started to like the Eagles. My love for Don was coming back to the surface. He became my favorite. Oh how I love those baby blue eyes. :thud::fainted:

When I first watched it, I was not impress with Glenn. I didn't like what he did to Don F, but as I continued to watch HOTE over and over again, I started to like Glenn. Its funny that I always thought Don was the boss of the group. Not Glenn. I understood why Glenn did what he did and I thought it was a good decision because the guys probably wouldn't be together today if they had continued.

I also learned about Bernie and Randy. I didn't know who they were. I remembered seeing them at the RRHOF. I was like who are these guys. I didn't even know that was Randy singing TITTL. I always thought it was Timothy. I don't know why I couldn't tell them apart, but back then I didn't know who was who. I remembered Bernie in the band Run C&W. I had heard of the band, but I didn't know he was in the band.

Today. They are my favorite band. I had knocked the Osmonds to no. 2. I always go through this phase of having a favorite singer or group and listen to nonstop. My favorite now is the Eagles. This phase has gone on for 2 years now. I still watch HOTE every single day and I still haven't gotten tired of watching it yet.

Shun,
This is so awesome! I love the Eagles a lot, trust! But even I don't watch HOTE every day! That's real dedication, Love.

LuvTim
08-20-2015, 05:53 PM
I wonder what the strange power of HOTE is, that it can turn casual fans into hardcore Eagles freaks. Or more likely, it's that the band is inherently fascinating and hadn't been sufficiently focused on before.

NMB, I think you've got it right!
I would love to know more and more about them, now that the fever has been renewed!

LuvTim
08-20-2015, 05:55 PM
So true. I liked the Eagles from the mid 80s on and TITTL was my favourite song. It wasn't until a few years later that I discovered Don H and Glenn had been in the the band duh!! I was already in love with Don since BOS but I have to say he had slightly fallen off my radar. Then, the HOTE documentary was a real eye opener for me. I really began to admire all of the band (apart from Mr Felder of course - he's a narcissist) and my love for Don H became an OBSESSION - I just completely and utterly adore him!!!!:hilarious:

OMG, DD, how can anyone look at those photos of 1970's Don and not swoon! My gosh! And he's still flashing those baby blues!

sodascouts
08-20-2015, 06:27 PM
I love reading these stories, too. The documentary certainly stirred the Eagles pot, and while there was some fallout, the fact that new fans have been attracted - or obsessions amped up ;) - shows that in the end, it was successful.

Witchy Woman
08-20-2015, 09:26 PM
I grew up with the Eagles music, as my parents played it all the time. I remember thinking Don had a great singing voice, and I made sure to learn as many lyrics to songs as I could. I didn't see what they looked like until they broke up and Don and Glenn had their own solo careers. As a teenage girl, I remember thinking Don was as cute as he was a fantastic singer. I bought Building The Perfect Beast on cassette tape, and played it til it almost broke. I also bought The Allnighter, and listened to that as well. When CD's first came on the scene Hotel California was the first one I ever bought. I remember buying End Of The Innocence as well, and keeping the long box it came in for many years. Don looked so cool crouched down holding his cigarette. I also kept the GQ magazine with Don on the front for over 20 years (they got lost when I moved :-( ).

When they announced they were getting back together, I almost pissed myself with happiness. I was so excited the day the MTV special came on (I recorded it on VHS) and I watched it many, many times. I was a little upset about the ticket prices (I was a kid with no job), but my awesome grandmother gave me the money so I could go. The date I was supposed to go was the date in Philly that got postponed due to Glenn's diverticulitis. I cried because I didn't want to wait to see them !! I had to wait until March of '95, but the absolute joy I felt seeing them for the first time was worth it. I have continued to see them every time they come to my area, as well as Don solo. I am proud to be fan for almost as long as I've been alive, and I have also immortalized them on my skin, because that's what I do, and I don't give that honor to just anybody.

08-20-2015, 09:34 PM
Wow! WW - I didn't realize you got to see a Hell Freezes Over show. Now, I'm very :jealous:! :thumbsup:

Brooke
08-21-2015, 09:13 AM
WW, love your story! It reminded me of my own and how much I've loved their music over the years!

NightMistBlue
08-21-2015, 10:36 AM
Now I'm crazy about Timmy all over again, and, with all due respect to his lovely wife, he's still so, so cuuute!

He sure is, and classy too. His acceptance speech at the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame was so impressive; showed what kind of man he is.

Witchy Woman, can we see your tattoo sometime? I've never said that to anyone before. :) If that was creepy, just forget it ever happened.

DivineDon
08-21-2015, 10:40 AM
OMG, DD, how can anyone look at those photos of 1970's Don and not swoon! My gosh! And he's still flashing those baby blues!

I Know, LuvTim!! Don was soooo hot in the 70s he should have come with a health warning!! And he still makes my knees go to jelly and my tummy all wobbly....mmmmm...sigh

....so cool WW that you saw them during HFO and of course I totally agree with you that Don looks as good as he sounds :thumbsup:

SPrim
08-21-2015, 11:04 AM
I'm really enjoying reading the stories in this thread.
I have been a fan of Eagles music since the 70’s but never became an avid fan until I watched HOTE. The documentary made me re-discover them and I went to my first Eagles concert in June. I’m just sorry that it took me this long to see them. I’m hoping that they still have another tour or two left in them!!

OntheBorder74
08-21-2015, 12:20 PM
I became a fan of Glenn Frey in particular when I heard his range in the band's material but particularly h would grab me in the opening verses of eagles tunes.

From the smooth soul of Tequila sunrise to the growling, intimidating presence of Outlaw man to the manly sensitivity of After the Thrill is Gone he was a revelation on every song. I also just loved his nasal voice particularly on Good Day in Hell (I dont even notice don on that song tbh) and on Already Gone where it goes to that quiet bridge(Heaven knows..) that was the specific moment when I heard that bridge and the shift from rock to more sensitive stuff mid song!

NOLA
08-21-2015, 05:49 PM
I blame my older brother, Scott, and a particular gift he received for Christmas in 1976. A detailed account is in the "New Kid in Town" thread, so I won't bore anyone with a repeat.

Like a tide, my fandom has ebbed and flowed over the years. Similarly, as many of you have already pointed out, the HOTE doc reignited a passion for the band and their music. I love a good doc and I love the Eagles, so it was a perfect match. The rest is history... :)

Witchy Woman
08-21-2015, 07:02 PM
Witchy Woman, can we see your tattoo sometime? I've never said that to anyone before. :) If that was creepy, just forget it ever happened.

Not creepy at all. Here ya go…..(excuse the smeared ink, it had just been done !!).

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae260/Jack_Bauer24/IMG_0283.jpg

L101
08-21-2015, 07:14 PM
Nice Tattoo WW !! I'd get something like that if I was brave enough to get one done :)

Houston Baby
08-21-2015, 08:28 PM
I love it WW!! It is perfect!
Unfortunately, I am a chicken when it comes to needles. :fear:

AlreadyGone95
08-21-2015, 08:42 PM
That's one cool tattoo WW!

I've thought about getting several different tattoos but I've not got any yet.

LuvTim
08-21-2015, 11:32 PM
Wow, WW, that tattoo really is awesome. :thumbsup:

LuvTim
08-21-2015, 11:43 PM
[QUOTE=NightMistBlue;308799]He sure is, and classy too. His acceptance speech at the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame was so impressive; showed what kind of man he is
Yes, he really is a class act. :heart: I loved that speech, too, brief as it was!

NOLA
08-22-2015, 08:22 AM
Wicked ink, WW! I like your other tats, too. :thumbsup:

Glennsallnighter
08-22-2015, 11:34 AM
I love it WW!! It is perfect!
Unfortunately, I am a chicken when it comes to needles. :fear:

So am I HB, but I am very impressed with your tattoo WW

sodascouts
08-22-2015, 04:24 PM
I'm not keen on tattoos for myself, but I too am impressed with WW's lovely EAGLES ink! It looks great.

NightMistBlue
08-24-2015, 12:36 PM
Very tasteful tattoo, WW. I thought for sure you had gotten a cow skull, like the One of These Nights cover (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Brooke
08-24-2015, 02:00 PM
I'm not brave enough for a tattoo either!

WW, yours is nice!

08-25-2015, 09:18 PM
Yep - I've seen WW's tattoo and it's is very cool, but there's no way I'm goinna volunteer for that kind of pain. :nope:

The Disco Strangler
08-29-2015, 08:16 PM
I didn't start appreciating the Eagles until a few years ago. Of course I was well aware of who they were but never paid much attention to them. At the time I belonged to a fanfic community and this girl used part of the verse from Victim of Love to summarise the story. I loved the sentence and went looking for the lyrics on the net. Then I bought the greatest hits CD LOL. Been a fan since.

Love their solo stuff too. Although I lean towards Timothy since I love his voice, I can't pick a true fave because each of these fellas have so much to offer with their solo work. One week I'm on a Joe kick. Another week it's a Randy kick. Then a Glenn kick. The Eagles rock :thumbsup:

UndertheWire
09-01-2015, 08:17 AM
I see the documentary as being like a good drama where you get interested in the characters as much as the plot. I used to listen to a song without thinking about how it was put together, but now I can appreciate the different parts contributed by different members. I can hear Randy's voice cutting through the high harmonies, the difference between Joe Walsh and Don Felder on lead guitar, those tasty licks from Glenn on the early records, the banjo and so on. Knowing how much thought and effort went into playing the music also helps because I now know that it wasn't just natural talent. To a certain extent they were committed, hard-working guys making the most of the talents and opportunities they were given and that makes them more relateable. I can also marvel at how good they could sound together even when they weren't getting along socially. Sometimes I want to see how the sausage is made.

NightMistBlue
09-01-2015, 09:51 AM
Well said, UtW.

A friend of mine just watched HOTE for the first time. I shall monitor him for signs of Eagles obsession, bringing up the Felder feud at inappropriate times, etc.

chaim
09-01-2015, 11:04 AM
I'm only an occasional visitor here, so I don't usually browse through threads that would take a lot of time - threads like this, because the stories here are long and in English! So unfortunately I tend to use the time here (and in other forums) more in threads about the actual music.

I browsed through the first few pages and there was so much fascinating stuff that I got frustrated. I did know that Soda is a relatively "new" fan, but I was surprised again by this, because it seems like she has known the band for decades. It's interesting how one can become such a fan in a relatively short time. The same thing happened with me and Sparks. I discovered them a few years ago, and now I have all their albums and Ron and Russell seem like two dear friends. In fact they spoke with me in Finnish in my dream a couple of nights ago.:hilarious:

"Ive always been a dreamer"'s story is interesting in the opposite way. It's always fascinating to read the story of someone who was a fan before the artist/band made it.

I don't think I have written my "story" here. At the risk of being selfish (not having read the previous stories) I'll tell my story, which is very brief:

When I was fourteen or fifteen, my second cousin, who is also a friend, showed me the famous live clip of Hotel California. He liked the song a lot. I don't remember how I felt about it at the time, and it's very hazy. I do remember discovering the Desperado album in my uncle's collection. I think he also had One Of These Nights, maybe HC. A few months ago he said that he's certainly always had On The Border. Desperado was the album I really fell in love with. I don't remember which Eagles album was the first one I bought, but I think that Desperado and HC - probably in that order - were the ones that made the most impact on me at the time. So I became an Eagles fan, and my friend remained a more casual fan.

Off-topic:

When the "resumption tour" hit Sweden we went to see the band. Me, my second cousin with his girlfriend plus a couple they knew, and a school friend of mine. The male half of the couple was a huge Eagles fan. He and his girlfriend went to the concert area (it was an outdoor concert - no seats) hours early to get close to the stage. When the rest of us went there hours later, we saw them standing outside the fence and went to say "hi".:hilarious: I remember saying to the guy, half-joking, "I hope they play Earlybird". I say "half-joking", because I really did love the song, but of course I knew they'll never play stuff like that. The guy had an expression on his face like "what on earth is this man on about".

LuvTim
09-01-2015, 02:10 PM
Thanks for your story, Chaim. :)
And your English is actually very good, if I may say so. :thumbsup:

Brooke
09-01-2015, 04:32 PM
Chaim, thanks for your story! I didn't know where you were from til now! And yes, your English is great! :thumbsup:

I love reading these!

chaim
09-02-2015, 10:39 AM
I know that I don't exactly suck in English, but it's a lot more tiring for me to read in English than in Finnish. I do read books in English all the time - mostly non-fiction. When a book about music, especially rock music, has been translated into Finnish, I absolutely refuse to read the Finnish version if the original is available. You wouldn't believe how bad the Finnish translations often are. If there's a rock musician speaking in the book, his speech must be all slang in Finnish, because a rock musician can't talk like a human being. For example, the Finnish version of the classic Mötley Crüe book was incomprehensible to me, because I didn't know all the slang words Tommy Lee "utters" in the book - slang words some street people in the capital of Finland may know. But when I read the English version, I understand everything. :hilarious:

It's even worse when there are musical terms in the original text, and the translator doesn't know them. I'll try to give an example:

The musical term "key" in English, of course, means a key signature. In Finnish "key" is "avain". But it has nothing to do with the key signature. It's either the object you use to open a door or a key to something in a metaphorical way.

A "clef", which you see at the beginning of a musical staff, is "nuottiavain" in Finnish ("nuotti" = a musical note, "avain" = non-musical "key"). Because the Finnish version of "clef" (nuottiavain) contains the word "avain" (key), one translator used the word "nuottiavain" (clef) when the original text was about the KEY of different harmonicas Steven Tyler has on stage. So the translation basically said that Tyler's harmonicas are "in the clefs of" E flat major etc.

So I do read quite a bit in English.:hilarious:

09-04-2015, 12:16 PM
Well chaim - I, for one, am extremely impressed by your English. Even though I took several years of Spanish in school, I'm not nearly as fluent as you in that language. And as far as Finnish, I can't even begin to pronounce any of those words you mentioned. I've said this before here, but I really admire those who post here when English is not their first language. There's no way I'd have the guts to post on a Spanish forum.

travlnman2
09-13-2015, 10:53 AM
My mother and one of my friends introduced me to the band. The specific eagle I am a fan of I Bernie because he is a great member and one of my friends told me that his step mothers brother is BErnie

travlnman2
05-24-2016, 07:48 AM
Tell us your story.

Annoying Twit
05-24-2016, 10:43 AM
Tell us your story.

I bought Eagles Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975. Along with about 40 million other people :) I can't remember what lead me to it, I was in my early teens. There are a lot of artists that I like that I don't have an origin-of-liking story for as it goes back too far into the misty realms of memory.

After that, I bought Hotel California and The Long Run when they came out. My sister had One of these Nights, but I didn't get the pre-Greatest Hits albums until CDs happened and I started buying the albums again because I'm stingy like that.

buffyfan145
05-24-2016, 11:13 AM
My parents were Eagles fans so I grew up with their music. I've known it my whole life and tended to love Glenn's voice a bit more than Don's, but they were both so recognizable to me with their solo songs and music vids too. I say I officially became a fan myself when they reunited for HFO when I was 8 years old in 1994. I remember watching that concert and just being fascinated with all of them and their songs, and had to learn more about them (especially Glenn, who also is my mother's favorite). The year before that the country album "Common Thread" came out and Travis Tritt's video so it somewhat started then for me as my family were already fans of those artists, the Eagles, and country music at the time, but HFO was the official thing for me.

MortSahlFan
05-24-2016, 01:00 PM
1994 HOF - I was 12. My friend and next door neighbor's parents bought the album, and we would play pool and listen to it, and I couldn't stop listening to "Hotel California" and one song led to another.

shunlvswx
05-24-2016, 01:41 PM
I discovered the guys in 1994 when I was 14. Actually the age of 14 was when I started to listen to other genres. I was becoming a country fan and liking some pop and rock music, but that's another story.

Actually. I've heard of Don and Glenn, but wasn't a fan. Heck. I didn't even like their music, but of course. I was a kid and didn't know good music when it hit me. LOL

Back to the guys. I remembered watching HFO on MTV, but I think it was like a few months after it premiered on tv. I stopped listening to their music at the turn of the century. I had 10 of their songs on my MP3 player, but I wasn't fan fan. It wasn't until this documentary called the History of The Eagles was coming on a lot on Showtime. I said to myself. I need to check out this documentary and the rest is history. I re-found the Eagles in 2013 and I've been a huge fan of their music ever since. I've never looked back. I listen to the Eagles music and watch HOTE while I'm at work. It gets me through the day.

My first CD I ever got was Hell Freezes Over. Somebody gave me that for Christmas. I still haven't bought HOTE DVD. I recorded off of tv and made a DVD of that and other Eagles related stuff.

Witchy Woman
05-24-2016, 01:49 PM
My parents listened to them a lot, but I also discovered Don and Glenn as solo artists myself. I still have the BTPB and Allnighter cassettes somewhere !! I remember being so excited when they reunited. I recorded the MTV special and watched it constantly. I was able to see the HFO tour in Philly in 1995 (it was originally scheduled for 1994, but that date was postponed due to Glenn's intestinal issues). I've been a huge fan most of my life !!

Brooke
05-24-2016, 02:14 PM
Great stories!

We have an old thread where my story is. I will just link to it! Scroll down.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311&page=3

Lots of other good ones there too!

travlnman2
05-24-2016, 05:07 PM
I am 17 and Rock N Roll is all I know. Concert For George introduced me to Rock music and it holds a very special place in mu heart becuse with out it I would actually not be typing this rightnow. Anyway first It was the Beatles then Lynyrd Skynyrd then Zeplplinn GNR, Arrosmith etc. My mom has Farewell 1 and always used to beg me to watch it as they were great guitar players but I constantly refused. She used to have greatest hits 1971-1975 playing in the car. So I finally relented 2 years ago and became a fan. I was a die hard Felder-Walsh fan I share the same birthday with Joe. I believed the Henley and Frey were :censord: :censord: but the more I read into the fiasco the more I cane to appreciate those two and how they were the driving force behind the band. Fun Fact one of my friends is the Step Nephew of Bernie through his Step Mom.

Annoying Twit
05-24-2016, 05:36 PM
Everyone is so young!

Funk 50
05-24-2016, 06:09 PM
1975, I instantly decided to become a Joe Walsh fan after seeing him perform Rocky Mountain Way on TV. It was tough, nobody, I knew, was aware of him. I enjoyed listening to my parents 45s that they'd kept from their courting days but I didn't have any records of my own, I'd never even been in a record shop. Joe never got played or even mentioned on the radio.

I discovered the weekly music mags and I'd scour them for info about Joe Walsh. I read the rumours about Joe joining the Eagles. The Eagles were played on the radio. I thought there must've been a second Joe Walsh. The Joe Walsh I saw on TV was nothing like the Eagles. The new single, New Kid In Town was a million miles away from Rocky Mountain Way.
Hotel California was too long to get played on the local radio station I listened to.

In my Youth I used to swim several times a week. After a disagreement with the coach I opted to sit out a session. I sat in the Sports Centre Cafe where I noticed that they had installed a Juke Box. One of the singles listed was
Hotel California (Felder Henley Frey) bw Pretty Maids All In A Row (Walsh, Vitale). Can you imagine my excitement?

I'd been given 25p to pay for the hour long, swimming lesson. 25p would get me 5 plays. I may have spent 5p on Hotel California but I sat in an almost empty cafe and listened to Pretty Maids All In A Row over and over again.

As vinyl tended to do, there were several points in the song, when the needle would get stuck and the same line would play continually until the girl serving behind the counter would rush over to the Juke Box and give it a hefty nudge to move it on. She quickly became very annoyed at this. Particularly when it immediately started again after the first play. When the track started for the third time, she was fuming. I sat in the corner looking innocent, pretending to be disinterested in the music.

When I left the cafe to meet up with my swimming pals after the lesson, Pretty Maids All In A Row was still playing with the assistant poised to give it another bash at the appropriate moment.

The single was gone by the following week, the Juke box too, not long after. I still wasn't totally convinced about Joe being in the Eagles but the Eagles were definitely on my radar.

It was the first time I'd spent any money on music.

SilverAcidRayne
05-24-2016, 06:30 PM
well, I always liked them. with me being born in the mid 70s and my mom listening to her soul and disco music I discovered them later in life. I knew of Don Henley and Glenn Frey from their solo careers. Grew up with them actually. I really discovered them in my 20s but I was not as huge with them as I am now. History Of The Eagles sealed it for me. Ill never forget watching it and I didn't know who the nice looking dude in the black t shirt was. Bernie snuck up on me I didn't know who he was. didn't know he was an original member. lol

SoaringRockyMountainWay
05-25-2016, 12:42 PM
One day I came home from school and my mom said she recorded something for me. It was History of the Eagles. I watched the whole thing with her and I was immediately hooked. I bought The Very Best of the Eagles and that's all I listened to for a while. So that's how my Eagles craziness began.

alreadygone
05-25-2016, 04:35 PM
basically until I was about fifteen or so, the beatles were the only group I ever got into.

I started listening to other music on the radio and I realized that the beatles are only the tip of the iceberg. I remember one day I heard someone mentioning how "take it easy" was there favorite song and I was like - you mean slow ride by foghat and he was like "no, the eagles song". I had never heard of them before and the only eagles i knew of was the NFL team. I looked them up online and realized that one of the most successful albums in terms of sale was Hotel California and sold something like 30 million copies (while the white album sold 20 million).

I started listening to them more, mainly the hits like "best of my love" "hotel california" "one of these nights" and liked the 70s sound to them. I never really knew there names though except for Henley. For a while I actually thought there was a guy in the band by the name Feldman so I assumed he was jewish :D

sodascouts
06-03-2016, 12:08 PM
I love reading these stories! I'm going to merge this with our old thread on it.

NightMistBlue
06-03-2016, 12:29 PM
Fun Fact one of my friends is the Step Nephew of Bernie through his Step Mom.

Neat. Has your friend met Uncle Bernie yet?

NoNottheFootballTeam
06-03-2016, 01:57 PM
I became a fan during Christmas leave in December, 1972. The U.S. Air Force had seen fit to provide my 20 year old hide with a 13 month, all expenses paid, assignment in the Republic of Korea and I got to come home for Christmas 1972.

My kid's mother (I've always thought "ex" sounded cruel) had purchased the first album shortly after release earlier in the summer. She was already enthralled by the group in December and all she could talk about was PEF. I was only home for 30 days, and after listening to the whole album, that was long enough to become a lifelong fan. In 1983, I even got "custody" of the original vinyl and have it to this day.

I was a security specialist in the service, but while I was in Korea (to avoid boredom), I volunteered as a disc jockey on the Armed Forces Radio (Korea) affiliate.

Now, broadcasts were highly structured. The station dictated what/who got air time and everything, except local announcements, was done (at our affiliate) by tape (think large 8-track tape like cassettes). In Korea, new releases/playlists were significantly behind the U.S. and I don't recall hearing any Eagles play before December, 1972.

The great part is, I also did a weekly "live" show in the Officer's club (I have pictures somewhere). I played current music, played requests (man, did I get tired of hearing, "shake the ribbon from your hair...") and tried to insert entertaining chatter.

This was MY show and equipment, so guess what? I took that Eagles album back with me at the end of my leave (in Jan. '73) and wore it out in the barracks and at the O-Club. Finally....something new that beat out the Allman Bros. "Eat a Peach" album.

Anyway, I'm pretty certain I introduced plenty of Air Force personnel to the Eagles before they showed up on the playlist on AFKN (and before my permanent return to U.S. in May '73).

I continued to be a fan, wearing out the 8-track version of OOTN and the Hotel California album, but didn't get to see them live until Arrowhead Stadium in 1978 (I think). I went with my nephew (a local studio drummer) because we had a bet/dispute over Bernie's lead on PEF...my nephew knew it was on a guitar and I said it had to be a pedal steel (this is before I knew what a B-bender guitar even was).

Even though I purchased almost every album, the HFO and Farewell 1 DVDs, I didn't see them live again until the HOTE tour (KC, St Louis, LA and Omaha).

That was how/when. Sorry this is my first ever (lengthy) post....I've been lurking and reading every couple weeks since 2014. I looked the forum up after attending the HOTE tour at the Forum in LA (1/25/14) and just have never felt comfortable posting on any forum.

I sure hope you all will allow me to continue to drop in every couple of weeks. I hope the forum never goes away....ya'll seem like good folks.

Oh yeah...the forum handle. I attended so many HOTE shows that it became a joke when people would ask about "plans," they would inevitably ask "the football Eagles." And of course, I always had to reply "no, not the football team"....the greatest American rock band ever.

UndertheWire
06-03-2016, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the entertaining post. I hope you continue to drop in and even post occasionally.

LuvTim
06-03-2016, 03:16 PM
Great post, NNtFT!
And thanks for your service. :-)

sodascouts
06-03-2016, 03:20 PM
So glad you finally decided to post. You have quite a story. Welcome and please continue to visit!

NightMistBlue
06-03-2016, 04:04 PM
I would just like to add my "yeah, man!" to the general consensus. Don't be no stranger, NoNottheFootballTeam.

Brooke
06-03-2016, 04:43 PM
NNtFT, welcome to the Border and glad you finally decided to post! Love your story! :cool:

Jonny Come Lately
06-03-2016, 06:49 PM
NNtFT, I really enjoyed reading your story. I like your username too, it makes me smile. It's cool that you got to see them both sides of the 14 year vacation. :smile:

NOLA
06-03-2016, 06:51 PM
Intriguing story, NNTFT, and a hearty welcome from a fellow veteran. :)

buffyfan145
06-03-2016, 09:26 PM
Welcome NNTFT and I loved reading your story too!!! :D I had a lot of family and friends that served and love hearing stories like that. That's great about the username too. LOL