PDA

View Full Version : Another new Eagles book: "Taking It to the Limit" by Fong-Torres

TimothyBFan
06-06-2011, 10:14 AM
This one was brought to my attention. Sure nothing new but if you're like most of us here, we have to have them all.

Eagles by Ben Fong-Torres out October 2011.

http://www.amazon.com/Eagles-Ben-Fong-Torres/dp/076243984X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1307369570&sr=8-1

tequila girl
06-06-2011, 11:53 AM
This was brought to my attention today too! :wink: I've pre-ordered it, but in the UK it's out a month earlier than over there.....1st Sept. :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
06-06-2011, 11:54 AM
On my list! :D

sodascouts
06-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Hmm! I'll probably get it but I might wait until you guys have previewed it first!

Annabel
06-06-2011, 01:08 PM
This was brought to my attention today too! :wink: I've pre-ordered it, but in the UK it's out a month earlier than over there.....1st Sept. :thumbsup:

Snap. I have it on my list. :thumbsup:

Brooke
06-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Gotta have it!

WalshFan88
06-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Here is the book's cover for those interested. Glad to see they used one from the Hotel California lineup (not that I'm biased or anything! :lie: :D).

http://i51.tinypic.com/2n6u4a9.jpg

Freypower
06-06-2011, 10:55 PM
I will wait & see what people think of it. The author is or was a Rolling Stone writer. That might affect the 'slant' of it.

TimothyBFan
06-07-2011, 08:18 AM
This one will be no different for me than all the others that are out and I've bought. I wont read it but will have it in my collection. I know we all say this every time one comes out, hope there's new pictures in it. The pictures out of the last one were all ones we had seen but they were so beautifully done in such a large book. That one will be hard to top!

Glennhoney
06-07-2011, 11:25 AM
..preordered mine as well..I know it probably won't contain anything new...but just in case....................

sodascouts
06-07-2011, 11:30 AM
The pictures out of the last one were all ones we had seen but they were so beautifully done in such a large book. That one will be hard to top!

Those photos were great - too bad only half of them were actually of the Eagles!

Scarlet Sun
06-07-2011, 12:13 PM
I would say we are still waiting for the first really well-written Eagles book, and I think this one has a chance to be it

GettheLeadonOut!!
06-07-2011, 03:38 PM
This should be a good one. Ben Fong Torres is an outstanding rock journalist. he played in the '78 softball game with them and was even portrayed in "Almost Famous". I really enjoyed his book on Gram Parsons, "Hickory Wind".

I wouldn't be surprised if he got the cooperation from many (if not all of the band members). As far as I know, he is not an Eagles hater like many of the jealous and snobby San Fran & NY journos who hate all things L.A. (ie. Eagles), most notably Rolling Stone fruitcake editor and supreme a-hole Jann Wenner and the bitter and very dead Lester Bangs respectively.

Anyway, it could be definitive and I look forward to reading it (despite leaving Bernie off the cover ;) )

Lisa
06-07-2011, 09:29 PM
I agree. Ben Fong-Torres' writing should be lively.

GlennLover
06-07-2011, 09:46 PM
I have to have it too, LOL! Like the rest of you I will be hoping for a proper book about the guys with some new stories & pictures.

EaglesKiwi
06-08-2011, 05:35 AM
I'll wait and see. I have the last Eagles book which is great - although a lot of it is about other musicians - but I got Felder's book and (Marc Eliot?) "Take It To The Limit" out of the library. I wasn't particularly impressed with either of those.

New photos would be great, as would interviews with the band - and then actually quoting them and not putting "Henley claims" or "according to Henley" before everything he said when other people's comments are given as facts.

Okay, rant over.

TimothyBFan
06-08-2011, 09:26 AM
The DJ on Sirius channel Classic Rewind just mentioned this upcoming book and said it's suppose to include backstage, recording sessions, tour and interviews from the beginning through the 2010 tour. Don't know if she actually knows anything or not but if so, maybe there is hope for some new stuff here.

BTW--they're now playing FITFL.

sodascouts
06-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Hmm, now that I know more about the author I might go ahead and pre-order. It sounds like he knows his stuff, and won't just be a regurgitation of articles like some other Eagles books have been.

Annabel
06-08-2011, 11:40 AM
It is sounding better all the time. I haven't pre ordered it ....... yet :laugh: but will be getting it when it comes out in Sept here. Well I only have 2 Eagles books (:hmm: or is it 3?), so I obviously need more to have a collection. :grin:

StephUK
06-08-2011, 02:21 PM
I like his book on Gram Parsons too, so maybe this one will be quite good.

Freypower
06-08-2011, 06:43 PM
I'll wait and see. I have the last Eagles book which is great - although a lot of it is about other musicians - but I got Felder's book and (Marc Eliot?) "Take It To The Limit" out of the library. I wasn't particularly impressed with either of those.

New photos would be great, as would interviews with the band - and then actually quoting them and not putting "Henley claims" or "according to Henley" before everything he said when other people's comments are given as facts.

Okay, rant over.

Henley was the only current Eagle to whom Eliot had access; which is why the book is very much told from Henley's viewpoint. It also really pushes Henley as the 'talent' of the band. There is only one book to date which attempts to redress the balance & give Frey a fair amount of space, & that is Laura Jackson's The Eagles.

Frankly because Fong-Torres is from Rolling Stone I think the same angle, that the band is all about Henley, which also was the theme of that recent coffee table book, is likely to be used.

GlennLover
06-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Here is the writeup on the book & Torres himself from Amazon.ca http://www.amazon.ca/Eagles-Taking-Limit-Ben-Fong-Torres/dp/1847327931/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

I am surprised at the title - Eagles Taking It To The Limit- as it is so close to Eliot's book To The Limit.

I have preordered it!

Product Description

Ben Fong-Torres was at "Rolling Stone" magazine when the Eagles were a cover story in 1979. He followed the band's career, interviewed them himself, and even played in the now famous Eagles vs "Rolling Stone" magazine softball match. The band changed line-up five times, split up, recorded four albums, toured the world, made the best-selling album in American history, and the members sued each other. The line-up may have changed, but the music carried on. And Ben witnessed it all. His unique insight will give readers an industry insider's view of the Eagles; their strengths and weaknesses, their fights, the recording sessions and the parties. How did this level of creative activity affect them and how have they changed as they reached middle-age?

About the Author

Ben Fong-Torres was born in California and graduated from San Francisco State University in 1966 with a BA in Radio-TV-Film and became a writer and Senior Editor at Rolling Stone magazine where he wrote 37 cover stories and hundreds of articles. He had major interviews with many of the most important acts of the 1970s, including Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones and Linda Ronstadt. An interview of Ben's with Ray Charles won the Deems Taylor Award for Magazine Writing in 1974. He left Rolling Stone in 1981 he wrote for many magazines, including Esquire, GQ, Parade, Playboy, Sports Illustrated, Harper's Bazaar, American Film, Travel & Leisure and People. He also worked as a radio DJ, TV presenter and more recently a book author. He still writes for the San Francisco Chronicle and Parade and broadcasts on TONEAudio in the Internet in between books.

Freypower
06-08-2011, 10:06 PM
'The members sued each other'?

Don Felder sued Henley & Frey.

And of course, because of the Rolling Stone connection let's give as much prominence as we can to that softball game. How that magazine can talk itself up. I'm afraid I am not convinced that this will be worth buying.

TimothyBFan
06-09-2011, 07:18 AM
I will reiterate--- I still believe it is a must have for any Eagles die hard. It's a book about the flippin' Eagles. What more can anyone want? I know that sounds weird when I've said so many times that I've yet to read any of them, but I simply MUST have them for my collection.

Troubadour
06-09-2011, 09:03 AM
I know I'm shallow, but all I have to say is: I LOVE that photo he's chosen for the front cover! :drool:

Annabel
06-09-2011, 11:39 AM
'The members sued each other'?

Don Felder sued Henley & Frey.

And of course, because of the Rolling Stone connection let's give as much prominence as we can to that softball game. How that magazine can talk itself up. I'm afraid I am not convinced that this will be worth buying.

Did they counter-sue him for breach of contract. Have I read that somewhere :shrug: or made it up. :laugh:

Freypower
06-09-2011, 06:36 PM
I will reiterate--- I still believe it is a must have for any Eagles die hard. It's a book about the flippin' Eagles. What more can anyone want? I know that sounds weird when I've said so many times that I've yet to read any of them, but I simply MUST have them for my collection.

Well, I have read them all except for the coffee table one and unless this one shows any sign that it will be substantially different, I see no reason why I should buy it.

Freypower
06-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Did they counter-sue him for breach of contract. Have I read that somewhere :shrug: or made it up. :laugh:

No, they did counter-sue, I think, but he initiated the whole sorry business.

sodascouts
06-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Well, a suit/counter-suit certainly qualifies as "suing each other"! I had forgotten about that, actually.

EaglesKiwi
06-10-2011, 03:53 AM
If I remember correctly (big IF), they counter-sued Felder for writing the book. That's why publication was delayed until the lawsuits were settled out of court...

Annabel
06-10-2011, 03:59 AM
I'd agree with that EK :thumbsup:

sodascouts
06-10-2011, 06:57 PM
If I remember correctly (big IF), they counter-sued Felder for writing the book. That's why publication was delayed until the lawsuits were settled out of court...

That's correct (I looked it up). From an article on the matter in the LA Times:
"Henley and Frey countersued Felder in August [of 2002], alleging he breached his contract by writing and trying to sell a 'tell-all' book about his life in the band."
Read more here: "Reborn Eagles Lose Peaceful, Easy Feeling" (http://articles.latimes.com/2002/dec/08/business/fi-eagles-8)

tequila girl
08-31-2011, 03:18 PM
I just had a notification from Amazon that my Eagles book has been dispatched!!!! :partytime: :partytime:

EaglesKiwi
09-01-2011, 03:52 AM
Woohoo! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

TimothyBFan
09-01-2011, 07:20 AM
You guys must be getting this one before us this time. I was just on Amazon yesterday (preordering more rock books-it never ends) and they are still showing my shipment not till October. Let us know what you think.

StephUK
09-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Yes, it's available in the UK now. Just ordered a copy. Amazon are selling it for £14.99 with Free 3-5 day delivery in the UK.
Waterstones & Blackwells are selling it for £20, the Guardian Bookstore for £16 - so make sure you don't buy it from the wrong place!!

It will probably be very similar to other Eagles books, but Ben Fong-Torres is a good writer, so I decided to get a copy.

Glennsallnighter
09-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Thanks Steph, if you can get it in the UK, I should be able to get it in Ireland. I might leave it a week or two though. Not that I WANt to, but I've fed my habit quite a bit recently. :wink:

Glennhoney
09-04-2011, 08:00 PM
..just got a notice from Amazon.ca that mine will be shipped Sept. 18....yahoo!!!

GlennLover
09-04-2011, 10:41 PM
..just got a notice from Amazon.ca that mine will be shipped Sept. 18....yahoo!!!

I better check on my order then.

ETA: I just checked. My account still shows shipping date of Oct 11 :-(.

tequila girl
09-05-2011, 04:51 AM
Mine has arrived!!!! :partytime:

First impressions? Lots of pictures, all of which i've seen before....except possibly one of Joe that I don't remember seeing - sadly I don't have a scanner, so I can't share it with you.......taken at the Orlando Vintage Guitar Show Feb 1993 he's wearing a (ladies) beige coloured hat with pink flower and black/grey jacket with red flowers and holding a ukelele.
I haven't read any of it yet...........................still looking at the pictures!! :hilarious:

tequila girl
09-05-2011, 09:06 AM
This is the outfit - but a different picture

http://www.joewalshonline.com/images/JWalsh91-08.jpg

Annabel
09-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Oops 'bout time I got mine ordered. :brickwall:

Ive always been a dreamer
09-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Can't wait to hear everyone's reactions. I haven't preordered mine yet, but since I'm a completist, I'll probably order it even if you all think it sucks. :lol:

sodascouts
09-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Not Joe's best look, lol.

StephUK
09-05-2011, 03:42 PM
I've been notified that my book has been shipped, so it should arrive anyday now.

StephUK
09-05-2011, 03:45 PM
This is the outfit - but a different picture

http://www.joewalshonline.com/images/JWalsh91-08.jpg

Where did Joe get that hat?!!!! Looks like something a slightly mad great-aunt would wear to a wedding.:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

tequila girl
09-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Steph, I've got one just like it for my nephews wedding in December!! :worried::blush:

just joking! :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

sodascouts
09-05-2011, 04:35 PM
LOL! It does look like something Joe might have gotten at the estate sale of an eccentric old lady!

Freypower
09-05-2011, 10:37 PM
I decided to order the book because I was ordering something else. I do hope it's different from the others.

StephUK
09-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Steph, I've got one just like it for my nephews wedding in December!! :worried::blush:

I'm sure you'd look lovely in a hat like that Carole....well certainly better than Joe does anyway!:laugh::laugh:

StephUK
09-06-2011, 06:31 PM
My book arrived today. I've only had a quick flick through as yet, but I did notice some gorgeous photos of the late, lovely Gram Parsons. (Sorry, that's not really an Eagles-related comment!)

Annabel
09-08-2011, 10:04 AM
No more forgetting. :brickwall: Just ordered mine.:partytime:

Annabel
09-08-2011, 10:07 AM

Ha ha Carole I think if we get to meet up at an Eagles concert again, you, me and Steph should all wear a hat like that to save anyone getting lost like hapened in July. I mean no one could miss a person with something like that on now could they. :hilarious:

tequila girl
09-08-2011, 11:26 AM
I agree Mel, but in that case, perhaps something like this

http://www.joewalshonline.com/images/JWalshFreyHats.jpg

or maybe this

http://www.joewalshonline.com/images/JWalshHat.jpg

would be more noticable :hilarious: :hilarious:

Brooke
09-08-2011, 01:21 PM
:lol:

Ok, I've never pre-ordered from Amazon before. How do I know if I have done that? It shows it in my cart. Will it automatically be shipped then when available?

Thanks for anyone's help!

StephUK
09-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Ha ha Carole I think if we get to meet up at an Eagles concert again, you, me and Steph should all wear a hat like that to save anyone getting lost like hapened in July. I mean no one could miss a person with something like that on now could they. :hilarious:

Great idea! I might just be able to find you if you were wearing hats like that. :nod:

I was even wearing my lenses at the Hop Festival - imagine what I'm like without them!

I have no problem seeing how gorgeous Will Hollis looks though.:heart:

tequila girl
09-08-2011, 01:47 PM
:lol:

Ok, I've never pre-ordered from Amazon before. How do I know if I have done that? It shows it in my cart. Will it automatically be shipped then when available?

Thanks for anyone's help!

Brooke, i'm not sure about pre-ordering (I have done it, but can't remember) but, I don't think it should be still showing in your cart if the transaction was completed?

UK TimFan
09-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Brooke,
In January I pre-ordered two DVDs one due for release in February and the other in March in addition to another item. Clicked the order through, and received an acknowledgement of the placed order.
Although one of my items was for immediate dispatch, I'm sure that had your order actually have been ordered (a) as Carole says, the item would no longer be showing in your cart and (b) that you would have received an acknowledgement of the order.
The March release date for the DVD has now been delayed until November, so when I go into my account and click 'your orders' it says that the DVD is still awaiting dispatch.

Can't speak for other Amazon 'branches', but Amazon UK are pretty good at getting pre-ordered stuff sent on the date of issue if not a couple of days beforehand, so if it's past the issue date and you haven't received an email to say 'it's on its way' then you haven't actually ordered the book. You've just put it in the cart. :)

Brooke
09-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Ok, it looks like I just need to complete the order.

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

09-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Yep - I agree with the others, Brooke. If it is still in your cart, you haven't completed the order.

And tg - you all definitely need to get your hands (or heads) on those hats for your next show! I'm sure Joe and Glenn held on to those treasures. If you send them a nice note, I'm sure they'd let you all borrow them. :lol:

Brooke
09-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Ok, order completed! Thanks all!

StephUK
09-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Re: The Hats.....

For those who don't know, I met Carole(Tequila Girl) & Melanie(Annabel) at the Hop Festival in Kent on 1 July.
After we'd found ourselves a place to stand, I went off to get an ice cream but couldn't find my way back. :confused: I called Carole on her mobile phone to tell her I couldn't find them - and I was actually only a few yards away from them! They could see me talking to them on my phone!!! :laugh::laugh: But I had completely lost my bearings & had no idea where I was. :headscratch: Hence the need to wear VERY large, bright head gear next time.

I did feel very silly, but my excue is that I blame it on the excitement of waiting for the Eagles to come on.:yay:

sodascouts
09-10-2011, 10:41 PM
lol. Cute story!

I was ordering something else on Amazon today and decided to toss this book in as well. Hopefully I won't regret it!

TimothyBFan
09-12-2011, 07:32 AM
I was ordering something else on Amazon today and decided to toss this book in as well. Hopefully I won't regret it!

Tho I've said several times that I have yet to read ANY of the Eagles books (silly I know), I have each and every one of them and have never regretted getting them. Still love seeing the same pictures over and over in these books. Maybe some day I will actually read them.

sodascouts
09-12-2011, 10:58 AM
As an English literature professor, I wince every time you say that you haven't read those books, Willie! An unread book is like an unheard song... What does it benefit me to own every Eagles CD if I've never played any of them? How much can I really get out of them if all I do is admire their artwork?

Likewise, by not reading the books, you deprive them of any meaning. For me, simply owning all the books does not have significance beyond owning a nice set of Eagles-related bookshelf placeholders. Books are more than baseball cards to me; they're more than something to collect for the sake of collecting. The treasure of a book lies in its words. It's not enough to touch a book with your hands. You have to touch it with your mind or it's worth nothing.

Signed,
Your friendly neighborhood bibliophile

Annabel
09-12-2011, 11:42 AM
:yay: My copy of the book arrived today. :partytime: Only flicked through it so far but will be starting it tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Annabel
09-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Carole, loving the hats. So that's you and Steph taken care of ;) :hilarious:

Steph, I blame it on those people with the orange tent moving. I think all 3 of us lost our bearings that day, just some more than others. :laugh:

Glennhoney
09-12-2011, 12:10 PM
I've been away all week....is there really a new book "Taking it to the limit"?..just checked with Amazon.ca and couldn't find anything.....

Annabel
09-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Yep there is. I'm looking at mine right now. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eagles-Ben-Fong-Torres/dp/1847327931/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315843985&sr=1-1

This might help you to find it. :)

TimothyBFan
09-12-2011, 01:00 PM
As an English literature professor, I wince every time you say that you haven't read those books, Willie! An unread book is like an unheard song... What does it benefit me to own every Eagles CD if I've never played any of them? How much can I really get out of them if all I do is admire their artwork?

Likewise, by not reading the books, you deprive them of any meaning. For me, simply owning all the books does not have significance beyond owning a nice set of Eagles-related bookshelf placeholders. Books are more than baseball cards to me; they're more than something to collect for the sake of collecting. The treasure of a book lies in its words. It's not enough to touch a book with your hands. You have to touch it with your mind or it's worth nothing.

Signed,
Your friendly neighborhood bibliophile

I know, I know. (hangs head in shame)

You know how much I love books and reading but unfortunately I have several books sitting on book shelves because I don't have the time right now (I call them my retirement plan). And you also know that Rock N Roll books are my all time favorite and I have dozens (probably hundreds) I have read, and collect them all the time (have several preordered as I type this). I've said before, it's almost as if I'm afraid to read the Eagles ones for fear there will be something that will be a disappointment about the band that is bigger than life to me. Does that make any sense at all? Probably not, but that's always been my reasoning. I have skimmed through them all often and treasure them more than I do any other book but can't seem to read them cover to cover. Maybe some day, I will start with one and won't be able to stop till I have them all done.

Glennhoney
09-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Yep there is. I'm looking at mine right now. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eagles-Ben-Fong-Torres/dp/1847327931/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315843985&sr=1-1

This might help you to find it. :)

...ah phew...I've already ordered it..thanks...

TimothyBFan
09-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Received notice over the weekend that it is being prepared for shipping!! :thumbsup:

Brooke
09-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Yeah, me too!

Annabel
09-27-2011, 05:11 AM
Still only half way through mine. Just don't seem to find the time to sit and read it atm. :brickwall:

EaglesKiwi
09-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Is it any good so far, Annabel?

sodascouts
09-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Just got this today and read it in one sitting. That's wasn't because it was so riveting; it's actually rather short and it only took me about three hours (admittedly, I'm a pretty fast reader).

There is nothing new - the author pretty much cherry-picked material from other Eagles books and put it together here. I thought the best part was his relating of his own personal experience with the band, which opens the book - and is also pretty much the only original part.

I do like how he uses a lot of direct quotes from the band members he has culled from past interviews they have done, and thanks "various Eagles sites" in the back (because there's so many of us lol). I don't like that he doesn't always specifically attribute what sources he got those quotes from.

The photos are nice and big but there are only a couple I haven't seen before. Most of them can be found on Getty Images.

However, Fong-Torres has a nice writing and style and it's a pleasant enough read. For those of us who eat up everything Eagles, it's alright. There were some inaccuracies and factual errors (such as calling Timothy the voice of "Take It to the Limit") but they were only occasional rather than plaguing the book at every turn. A decent effort.

Freypower
09-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Just got this today and read it in one sitting. That's wasn't because it was so riveting; it's actually rather short and it only took me about three hours (admittedly, I'm a pretty fast reader).

There is nothing new - the author pretty much cherry-picked material from other Eagles books and put it together here. I thought the best part was his relating of his own personal experience with the band, which opens the book - and is also pretty much the only original part.

I do like how he uses a lot of direct quotes from the band members he has culled from past interviews they have done, and thanks "various Eagles sites" in the back (because there's so many of us lol). The photos are nice and big but there are only a couple I haven't seen before. Most of them can be found on Getty Images.

However, Fong-Torres has a nice writing and style and it's a pleasant enough read. For those of us who eat up everything Eagles, it's alright. There were some inaccuracies and factual errors (such as calling Timothy the voice of "Take It to the Limit") but they were only occasional rather than plaguing the book at every turn. A decent effort.

That is a fairly major error, and I can think of a couple of Borderers who won't be impressed with that. :fear:

sodascouts
09-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Oh, I wasn't impressed with it either. Hardly! However, it's the exception, not the rule.

TimothyBFan
09-28-2011, 08:18 AM
There were some inaccuracies and factual errors (such as calling Timothy the voice of "Take It to the Limit") but they were only occasional rather than plaguing the book at every turn. A decent effort.

:brickwall: I know it may sound petty, but that is one of the reasons I seriously do not read these books about the Eagles. To me that is unforgiving. If you are writing a book about the Eagles, then research it and get your d*mn facts straight!! PERIOD! That's a pretty easy one to figure out and get right. JMO.

I really think the only way I will ever read a book about the Eagles all the way through instead of just scanning and reading bits and pieces, will be the day an Eagle/or Eagles, write one themselves!! Waiting patiently.

Brooke
09-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Soda, how did you get your book so soon? I have pre-ordered it on Amazon and got notice that it was shipped last night.

sodascouts
09-28-2011, 10:17 AM
I signed up for a free trial of "Amazon Prime" shipping. Now I just have to remember to quit the trial before they charge me!

As for the mistake - yes, it made me cringe, but if you're looking for perfection you're not going to find it. Even Felder's had many inaccuracies, as has been noted elsewhere!

Annabel
09-29-2011, 07:56 AM

I do like how he uses a lot of direct quotes from the band members he has culled from past interviews they have done, and thanks "various Eagles sites" in the back (because there's so many of us lol). I don't like that he doesn't always specifically attribute what sources he got those quotes from.

The photos are nice and big but there are only a couple I haven't seen before. Most of them can be found on Getty Images.

I'm with you Soda, which is why I am still ploughing through it.

pueblo47
10-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Got it today. Nice book, looking forward to reading it.

AzEaglesFan
10-01-2011, 11:04 PM
No fair, why is everyone else getting their book before I get mine??????:-(

GlennLover
10-01-2011, 11:43 PM
No fair, why is everyone else getting their book before I get mine??????:-(

Mine won't be shipped until Oct 11 :-(

AzEaglesFan
10-02-2011, 03:43 AM
I did get an e-mail from Amazon telling me that my Eagles book and the Fleetwood Mac book I ordered had been shipped. I guess my mailman isn't finished reading them yet. lol

10-02-2011, 11:21 AM
:thumbsup: Shirley!

I actually decided to wait since I'm too busy right now to read it anyway. I figure I may be able to get it cheaper on Amazon if I wait until the pre-order is over. It's not even October 11th yet and I'm already seeing some lower prices, but I think the price will drop even lower after that.

Brooke
10-02-2011, 08:22 PM
I got mine yesterday, too. It is a nice looking book and I'm glad I got it. I've looked through a bit and can't wait to start reading when I have more time!

TimothyBFan
10-03-2011, 07:15 AM
Still waiting also. It is being shipped with my Jagger book in the same pkg and the FM book has also been shipped. Not that I have time to read any of them, but just the same, can't wait to get them in my hands.

WalshFan88
10-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Looks like I need to be placing my Amazon order. I was going to preorder but decided to wait until I heard some reviews. I also need to get the books TBF has mentioned.

TimothyBFan
10-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Get going Austin!! I'll be way ahead of you----well, if I ever get the time to read any of them. :brickwall:

Got mine yesterday, just flipping through it right after I received it and noticed on page 32, above a picture of Timothy with Poco, it says, "Below: Poco. This incarnation included Timothy B. Schmit but Bernie Leadon was in the original lineup." Really? :hilarious: Bernie/Randy--they're interchangeable.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-04-2011, 11:22 AM
I ordered mine Sunday evening and paid for standard shipping. The mailman just brought it to my door! I have to say, I like the pics. I've seen most of them before, but these are enlarged without being blurry. Unfortunately, the one on page 133 was cropped too much on the left side....

I'm looking forward to reading it.

sodascouts
10-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Got mine yesterday, just flipping through it right after I received it and noticed on page 32, above a picture of Timothy with Poco, it says, "Below: Poco. This incarnation included Timothy B. Schmit but Bernie Leadon was in the original lineup." Really? :hilarious: Bernie/Randy--they're interchangeable.

This guy must not like Randy. First he attributes the vocals of Randy's signature song, Take It to the Limit, to Timothy - then he substitutes Bernie for Randy in Poco. Ouch! Dude needs to be schooled on Mr. Meisner!

AzEaglesFan
10-04-2011, 04:22 PM
UPS just delivered my books. I didn't know that the Fleetwood Mac book was a very large coffeetable size like the one Eagles book. No reading this in bed. Even the Eagles book is larger than some but I'm glad because the pictures are better in it like VA said in her post.

Glennhoney
10-07-2011, 05:13 PM
woo-hoo...just got an email from Amazon saying my book has been shipped...

10-08-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm anxious to hear more about what some of you think of the book when you finish reading it. I'll probably be ordering mine in about a week.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Dreamer, it's big on pictures and not a lot of content, which makes it a great coffee table book. There are some annoying inaccuracies as noted above. In some ways this is a 180 from the Eliot book, it's presented very much as Glenn's band when it is presented as 'anyone's', and gives him a lot more credit without taking away from Don.

It focuses more on the good than the bad, which was nice. Don's Incident is presented more favorably than any version I've read before, and while it mentions the 3E parties, it doesn't give a lot of details or put a lot of focus on them.

I think, after reading Felder's book and re-reading Eliot's book, anything would have been such an improvement that I liked it for that reason alone.

10-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the info, VAisFEL. I am looking forward to getting it even though I had hoped for a few new stories since the author had a little bit of an 'inside track' to the band back in the day.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-08-2011, 12:49 PM
The author does go into the softball game with more detail! As a sports-oriented person, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Still, it was his contact with various members later (around FWI) that really added credibility, IMO.

Freypower
10-09-2011, 06:25 PM
I just received my copy. The photos are beautiful (there is a double page one of Glenn during the Allnighter period which is particularly nice). I do recognise a lot of the stories from previous books/articles. From what I can work out it seems very even-handed.

ETA: Having started reading, Tim is described in the 'my encounters with the Eagles' chapter as the one who sings the high notes in TITTL. This is not the same as saying he sings or ever did sing lead on the song. At least that is how I interpret it.

ETA2: It isn't very well worded because it says he hits the high notes on TITTL & ICTYW, which could be interpreted as him singing lead on both songs, or neither of them. I agree it's confusing.

Glenn is described as 'the piston from Detroit' as opposed to the Lion or Tiger, I guess. The phrase has stuck in my head & I don't know why it never occurred to me before. :twisted:

Glennsallnighter
10-12-2011, 03:23 AM
There's a caption for a sig banner FP! I look forward to it!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-12-2011, 09:54 AM
I just received my copy. The photos are beautiful (there is a double page one of Glenn during the Allnighter period which is particularly nice). I do recognise a lot of the stories from previous books/articles. From what I can work out it seems very even-handed.

ETA: Having started reading, Tim is described in the 'my encounters with the Eagles' chapter as the one who sings the high notes in TITTL. This is not the same as saying he sings or ever did sing lead on the song. At least that is how I interpret it.

ETA2: It isn't very well worded because it says he hits the high notes on TITTL & ICTYW, which could be interpreted as him singing lead on both songs, or neither of them. I agree it's confusing.

Glenn is described as 'the piston from Detroit' as opposed to the Lion or Tiger, I guess. The phrase has stuck in my head & I don't know why it never occurred to me before. :twisted:

If it's a small 'p', then it's a good reference. If it's a capital 'P' like the basketball team, it's not. The Pistons are the one team out of Detroit that Glenn has always said he never liked!

Freypower
10-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Well, it's spelt with a small 'p' but the reference to the Detroit Pistons is obvious. I still don't know if I want to use it in a banner or not.

Glennhoney
10-16-2011, 08:05 PM
...woohoo..was away all weekend and when I checked my mail tonight...my book was here...can't wait to look at it...

GlennLover
10-16-2011, 11:39 PM
I got an e mail from Amazon telling me that the shipping date for my book has been delayed until Oct 24. It was supposed to have been shipped on the 11th! GH, did you order yours from Amazon.ca or.com?

Where did you visit in N.B.?

Glennhoney
10-17-2011, 11:41 AM
"I got mine"..lol...from Amazon.ca..........and we were in Moncton for the weekend...Love that place...and the weather was spectacular...

GlennLover
10-17-2011, 07:40 PM
I preordered from Amazon.ca shortly after the book was announced. Don't know why my order is delayed.

We go to Moncton quite often. It was a beautiful weekend. We have had some great weather this month. Much warmer than usual. I imagine you have had similar weather.

I know everyone who has received their book says there really isn't anything new, but I'm always anxious to get anything Eagle related!

Glennhoney
10-17-2011, 08:53 PM
I haven`t had time to look at mine yet..but I`m with you...anything Eagles related, is worth it...so where do you live in NB..

Topkat
10-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Got mine yesterday, just flipping through it right after I received it and noticed on page 32, above a picture of Timothy with Poco, it says, "Below: Poco. This incarnation included Timothy B. Schmit but Bernie Leadon was in the original lineup." Really? Bernie/Randy--they're interchangeable.

This is such a HUGE error that it's not even excusable. Bernie was never in Poco, & WTH?? What about Randy? Just shows how little this writer knows about them. After that, I won't really believe much this writer has to say! That is a huge turn off to me. Sorry, I won't be reading this one....

VAisForEagleLovers
10-18-2011, 11:13 AM
It is a huge error, but since it wasn't the writer's error but the publisher/editor's, it didn't faze me a whole lot on his credibility, especially as the text had it right. At least, I assume the author had input on pictures and captions, but I doubt they were in the version he edited and sent. I'm not defending the mistake, just trying to cut the author some slack. Several people (including the author) should have caught it in the final proof.

GlennLover
10-18-2011, 12:26 PM
I haven`t had time to look at mine yet..but I`m with you...anything Eagles related, is worth it...so where do you live in NB..

I'm from Saint John.

Topkat
10-18-2011, 01:23 PM
VA, I have to disagree here. I worked for several major publishing houses. Authors do sign off on photo captions & final edits. You do seem to be excusing the mistakes; just blame it on the editors. If it were my book, I would be sure these things were correct.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Yes, I know they sign off on them and I did agree that it shouldn't have been missed. The point I was making was that he has it correct within the text, so it didn't make me doubt anything else he'd written. At least not any more than I'd already doubt someone not named Frey, Henley, Schmit, Walsh, et al.
I have to say, I've been extremely disappointed by all the books that I've read lately. I realize it's hard, that authors and editors read the same text 800 times and start zoning through things, but every book I've read in the last month (at least seven) has had typos, misuse of words (their vs. they're, etc.), grammatical errors, and factual errors. I used to read a lot more and I don't remember it being this bad.

Freypower
10-18-2011, 03:49 PM
There is another error within the text when he talks about Glenn's chat hits & says he only had one Top 10 hit. He had two, which Fong-Torres had only just pointed out. Fong-Torres then goes on to gush about all the hits Don had, making it sound as if Don had many more hits than Glenn, while the actual total is Don 9, Glenn 7. But then like most Eagles books except for Laura Jackson's the only voice which is praised is Don's; Glenn's is not mentioned; and there are several peculiar references to Don taking 'his rightful place' at the front of the stage. Some photo captions even talk about 'Don Henley on the drums' as if this were some sort of aberration. Don spends more time down the front these days in Eagles shows but he is still the drummer.

It's a pleasant read but it is basically a rehash & you won't gain any further insight into the band. Another thing I found peculiar was the lack of reference to the most recent Rolling Stone cover story, given that endless references to the magazine abound throughout the book.

Topkat
10-18-2011, 04:25 PM
VA, I agree about the tons of mistakes in books these days. I mean don't they even use spell check?? I guess what bothers me about some of these books is that first of all some bios are written by people who never even met the people they are writing about. As for the Eagles books, they seem to only focus on either Don or Glenn and the other band members are just treated as some afterthought.

The books I've read so far had very little written about Randy, Bernie, Timothy, Joe & Don Felder. The band is more than Frey & Henley. I don't think they would be where they are today if they weren't a "band". Each of them had some major contributions, but they seem to discard them as disposable. I guess the error on the photo just reinforced the lack of importance of the other band members.

PS, Please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors. I have no editor!!
My comments are only my opinion. I don't mean to offend anyone on here, as we are all Eagles fans!:)

TimothyBFan
10-18-2011, 05:51 PM
There is another error within the text when he talks about Glenn's chat hits & says he only had one Top 10 hit. He had two, which Fong-Torres had only just pointed out. Fong-Torres then goes on to gush about all the hits Don had, making it sound as if Don had many more hits than Glenn, while the actual total is Don 9, Glenn 7. But then like most Eagles books except for Laura Jackson's the only voice which is praised is Don's; Glenn's is not mentioned; and there are several peculiar references to Don taking 'his rightful place' at the front of the stage.

I'm not sure where the info is coming from as far as Top 10 hits, etc.... but it got me wondering. I understand you defending Glenn (as you often do in these matters) but as I read this, I started thinking about it. And as much as I hate to say it, I really had to think to myself, if I was an average fan who DIDN'T know the Eagles or their members like most of us here on this board, would I think Don or Glenn had more hits. I would say Don. Mainly because I think his songs were more popular, especially in the 80s ---he was everywhere. So I thought I'd go into Wiki and see what it said.

Here we go---how accurate, is anyone's guess I suppose.

Top 10 hits for Don on the US Main

1982 Dirty Laundry #1
1984 The Boys of Summer #1
1984 All She Wants To Do Is Dance #1
1985 Sunset Grill #7
1985 Drivin' With Your Eyes Closed #9
1989 The End Of The Innocence #1
1989 The Last Worthless Evening #4
1989 I Will Not Go Quietly #2
1989 If Dirt Where Dollars #8
1990 The Heart Of The Matter #2
1990 How Bad Do You Want It #8

Top 10 hits for Glenn on the US Main

1982 Partytown #5
1984 The Heat Is On #4
1985 You Belong To The City #1
1991 Part of Me, Part of You #9

That pretty much summed it up for me. Add to that, Don's songs like Johnny Can't Read, New York Minute & Not Enough Love In The World, that got quite a bit of air play also, I have to agree that Don was a bigger chart topper than Glenn. I was surprised that Glenn's Smuggler's Blues only reached #13 and True Love only reached #15. For some reason, I thought they charted further up than that.

And for the record---my preference in their voices goes to Don also. He makes me swoon!!!!

As for the Eagles books, they seem to only focus on either Don or Glenn and the other band members are just treated as some afterthought.

The books I've read so far had very little written about Randy, Bernie, Timothy, Joe & Don Felder. The band is more than Frey & Henley. I don't think they would be where they are today if they weren't a "band". Each of them had some major contributions, but they seem to discard them as disposable. I guess the error on the photo just reinforced the lack of importance of the other band members.

I totally agree but (before anyone reminds me that Glenn & Don started the band, etc.....) it does get to be old real fast.

Just remember this is all just my opinion.

Freypower
10-18-2011, 05:56 PM
For a start YBTTC only reached #2, not #1, and as far as I am aware POMPOY didn't make the charts at all. Don did not have a song that reached #1. I refer to the Billboard charts, which is what I believe Fong-Torres was quoting.

I am looking at Don's Wikipedia entry & EOTI only reached #8 on Billboard. ASWTDID reached #9. If you are referring to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_number-one_mainstream_rock_hits_(United_States)#1985

that is a ranking in Billboard of most played songs, not a chart.

So you failed to include The One You Love which reached #15 on the chart (not the US Main thing) and Sexy Girl which reached #20. Smuggler's Blues got to #12.

However, I am well aware that Don sold more records than Glenn. I am reminded often enough, about Glenn's 'failed solo career'. So it isn't a point that I have any intention of pursuing, except that I get annoyed by the unspoken implication that Don's music is 'better' because he had more chart hits.

And just as you are entitled to your preference for Don's voice, so am I entitled to mine for Glenn's.

Topkat
10-18-2011, 06:09 PM
I totally agree but (before anyone reminds me that Glenn & Don started the band, etc.....) it does get to be old real fast.You're right, it does get old, because Don, Glenn, Randy & Bernie were all Back up players for Linda Ronstadt along with JD Souther. I really don't see that Don & Glenn started the band. More like they "Took Over" the band as the years went by.

TimothyBFan
10-18-2011, 06:17 PM
You are using the Billboard hot 100 and I am using the #'s from Mainstream charts---to quote Wiki---" Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks is a ranking in Billboard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_%28magazine%29) magazine of the most-played songs on mainstream rock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainstream_rock) radio stations, a category that includes stations that play primarily rock music. Modern rock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_rock) (i.e., "alternative") tracks are counted in the Alternative Songs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_Songs) chart."

I was basically thinking about all the radio station play for them.

Here's the link for Don....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Henley_discography

and for Glenn...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Frey#Discography

FP--I never said you weren't allowed to have an opinion like I am. No need to be so defensive. I'm just trying to have a conversation regarding what was brought up. And I don't know who is reminding you of Glenn's 'failed solo career', but I seriously don't feel you need to take it so personally. It's his career and I'd be really surprised if he isn't pretty satisfied with it. I don't mean to step on your toes, but it just seems you get so defensive every time someone praises Don a bit more than Glenn. I don't see here where anyone was putting down Glenn's career, here or in the book. The fact is that Don has had a more lucrative solo career than Glenn. I doubt Glenn would dispute that himself. No need to take it all so seriously. Sorry if I've offended you in anyway.

Freypower
10-18-2011, 06:22 PM
You are using the Billboard hot 100 and I am using the #'s from Mainstream charts---to quote Wiki---" Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks is a ranking in Billboard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_%28magazine%29) magazine of the most-played songs on mainstream rock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainstream_rock) radio stations, a category that includes stations that play primarily rock music. Modern rock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_rock) (i.e., "alternative") tracks are counted in the Alternative Songs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_Songs) chart."

I was basically thinking about all the radio station play for them.

Here's the link for Don....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Henley_discography

and for Glenn...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Frey#Discography

FP--I never said you weren't allowed to have an opinion like I am. No need to be so defensive. I'm just trying to have a conversation regarding what was brought up. And I don't know who is reminding you of Glenn's 'failed solo career', but I seriously don't feel you need to take it so personally. It's his career and I'd be really surprised if he isn't pretty satisfied with it. I don't mean to step on your toes, but it just seems you get so defensive every time someone praises Don a bit more than Glenn. I don't see here where anyone was putting down Glenn's career, here or in the book. The fact is that Don has had a more lucrative solo career than Glenn. I doubt Glenn would dispute that himself. No need to take it all so seriously. Sorry if I've offended you in anyway.

It's Glenn who constantly reminds me of his 'failed solo career'. He did it again when I saw him in August.

I agree with what you say & no offence taken at all.

TimothyBFan
10-18-2011, 06:24 PM
It's Glenn who constantly reminds me of his 'failed solo career'. He did it again when I saw him in August.

How so? I'm confused I'm afraid.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Glenn puts his career down enough. I believe the 'failed solo career' is how he describes it. Which irks me to no end.

TimothyBFan
10-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Ok-granted---I'm not the huge Glenn fan many of you are but I've always taken that as a joke by him. You know his silly jokes, I never figured him to be serious about that anymore than Lyin' Eyes being for "Plaintiff".

whitcap
10-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Ok-granted---I'm not the huge Glenn fan many of you are but I've always taken that as a joke by him. You know his silly jokes, I never figured him to be serious about that anymore than Lyin' Eyes being for "Plaintiff".

I took it as a joke too Willie. Glenn's solo career was moderately successful and he knows it. Especially in terms of the Eagles. His albums didn't sell as well as Henley's and his songs weren't as played but in terms of the Hot 100 Glenn is the highest charting Eagle with not 1 but 2 number two hits. Don only made it to number 3. Heck Joe's the third most successful and none of his songs even cracked the Top 10.

Freypower
10-18-2011, 07:31 PM
I took it as a joke too Willie. Glenn's solo career was moderately successful and he knows it. Especially in terms of the Eagles. His albums didn't sell as well as Henley's and his songs weren't as played but in terms of the Hot 100 Glenn is the highest charting Eagle with not 1 but 2 number two hits. Don only made it to number 3. Heck Joe's the third most successful and none of his songs even cracked the Top 10.

Thanks for this whitcap.

While 'failed solo career' is supposed to be a joke, when you are actually sitting in front of him & he says it, it momentarily leaves you feeling uncomfortable.

Nevertheless in the scale of things as those two nights wore on, it didn't matter at all, and it won't matter if this new album isn't a success either. I am so grateful for it that I really don't care any more.

10-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Well I ordered the book yesterday, and got it a bit cheaper by waiting as I expected. I've gotten notice that it has already shipped, so I expect I'll get it by early next week. I honestly don't know when I'll have the time to read it, but I'll squeeze it in somehow. :thumbsup:

While 'failed solo career' is supposed to be a joke, when you are actually sitting in front of him & he says it, it momentarily leaves you feeling uncomfortable.

I don't feel that way at all - I take it as the joke that I believe it is intended to be. I don't know what Glenn really thinks about his solo career, but I'd bet money that he is quite proud of it. Obviously, he did not realize the same level of success that he found with the Eagles, but I'd bet there are many struggling artists out there that would give anything just to have 1/10 of the success that Glenn had/has as a solo artist.

TimothyBFan
10-19-2011, 11:55 AM
I don't feel that way at all - I take it as the joke that I believe it is intended to be. I don't know what Glenn really thinks about his solo career, but I'd bet money that he is quite proud of it. Obviously, he did not realize the same level of success that he found with the Eagles, but I'd bet there are many struggling artists out there that would give anything just to have 1/10 of the success that Glenn had/has as a solo artist.

Exactly the point I was trying to make earlier!!!!

Brooke
10-19-2011, 01:31 PM
I agree that he is joking about it too.

Freypower
10-19-2011, 03:38 PM
I agree with all of the above, but being human and actually watching it being said after having heard it only on bootleg audio before, I still felt uneasy for a few moments & then I put it aside.

Glennhoney
10-19-2011, 05:06 PM
..well he might be joking, but I still don't like it...however it seems to me that he always says stuff like this about himself...like he's not the greatest quitar player, and not the greatest singer....he's definately not a boaster or braggar...

Freypower
10-19-2011, 05:27 PM
..well he might be joking, but I still don't like it...however it seems to me that he always says stuff like this about himself...like he's not the greatest quitar player, and not the greatest singer....he's definately not a boaster or braggar...

I don't know about 'not the greatest singer'. In Niagara Falls on the second night before YBTTC he said 'I could sing these songs perfectly when I recorded them but I was a lot younger then'. I chose to see that as merely a statement of fact rather than putting himself down. He does praise Don's voice all the time, whereas I can't recall one instance of praise being directed the other way, just as his voice is never praised in books about the band & rarely in reviews.

Windeagle
10-19-2011, 06:12 PM
I was holding out on getting the Fong-Torres book, but when I went to the B&N bookfair to benefit my kids' school last night, there it was. All shiny and new. With lots of cool pictures ( even if the text is occasionally flawed).

Calling out to me...

I caved. It was for a good cause. Or so I told myself when it was midnight and I was still reading! :)

I'll add more comments when I finish it.

Glennhoney
10-19-2011, 06:20 PM
I don't know about 'not the greatest singer'. In Niagara Falls on the second night before YBTTC he said 'I could sing these songs perfectly when I recorded them but I was a lot younger then'. I chose to see that as merely a statement of fact rather than putting himself down. He does praise Don's voice all the time, whereas I can't recall one instance of praise being directed the other way, just as his voice is never praised in books about the band & rarely in reviews.

SO TRUE!!!

GlennLover
10-20-2011, 01:00 AM
I just got an E mail from Amazon telling me that my order has been shipped! :partytime:

GlennLover
10-20-2011, 01:04 AM

True, GH. I think it has been said here before - he's the king of self deprecation. We know how great he is!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-20-2011, 09:04 AM
You got it, Ann. Since he won't do it himself, he needs his fans to do his bragging for him!

10-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Wow - I just broke an Amazon record for myself. As I already posted, I ordered the book on Monday and got an email a few minutes later that the book had been shipped. I got it yesterday (Wednesday) and that was with standard shipping! I scanned it quickly, but don't know when I'll get a chance to read it. Hopefully, it won't be too long.

Brooke
11-02-2011, 04:17 PM
I've been reading some this afternoon. In talking about going to London to record their first album, Don said Glyn Johns was a tyrant and would only give them three chances to do a track or a vocal. (I knew he was very strict with them, but hadn't read this.) He said it was so intimidating and you couldn't help but get emotional. "We even cried a couple times."

Can you imagine? 4 grown guys getting teary eyed and told they were bad?! :rofl:

sodascouts
11-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Aw, poor guys! They look up to this famous producer Glyn Johns and he pretty much tells them the 1970s British equivalent of "You suck." No wonder tears were shed!

"Sometimes I'm a strong man - sometimes cold and scared... and sometimes, I cry."

;)

EaglesKiwi
11-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Aw, poor guys! They look up to this famous producer Glyn Johns and he pretty much tells them the 1970s British equivalent of "You suck." No wonder tears were shed!

"Sometimes I'm a strong man - sometimes cold and scared... and sometimes, I cry."

;)
Now I have to listen to that song, Soda!!

I had read the same thing in the Laura Jackson book... seems funny when the Eagles are so famous now - and even only a few years after working on their first album they didn't really seem to be lacking in confidence or attitude.;)

Brooke
11-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Reading more this afternoon. I knew Joe was in bad shape back in the days before the reunion, but get this:

His doctor had told him he was in bad shape. "A couple more months and I have no idea what'll happen, but something bad will. I had burned all the bridges; I was really paper thin. I didn't have any credit cards or checking account, didn't have a car, didn't live anywhere, didn't make any sense. I really was insane, going in and out of reality." Don and Glenn asked him if he could get sober and he said "I don't know. Let's find out." :shock:

And the rest is history! Thanks for making a stand Joe! :thumbsup:

Topkat
11-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Brooke, Does the book say that this came straight from Joe himself, or is this 2nd or 3rd hand information? I don't believe everything in most of these books.
Sometimes you just don't want to believe the bad stuff.:ack:

Freypower
11-04-2011, 06:43 PM
The actual quote is from Joe. This is what it says:

'It's pretty much a blur' he told me when we met in New York years later. Then there is some explanation of how Joe's life progressed during those years & then the quote continues as Brooke posted it.

We all know that this was the case. I saw Joe twice while he was in this state. Joe has always been upfront & honest about it.

Glennhoney
11-04-2011, 07:58 PM
I enjoyed the book, as I do anything I read about the Eagles...but there wasn't anything in there we didn't know before...

Topkat
11-04-2011, 09:17 PM
I really don't know all that much about Joe, but I did know he was in bad shape for awhile. I guess I didn't want to believe how bad it really was. Luckily, he pulled through it & is doing well now. Really happy for the way things turned out.

Prettymaid
11-05-2011, 07:44 AM
I agree TK. I really didn't 'know' Joe during that time and I don't want to see videos of performances where he was wasted. But I have to credit him for being that far gone and coming back to the Joe we see today. Pretty amazing!

11-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Well I still haven't had a chance to read the book. I'm looking forward to finding a little bit of free time soon so I read about everything that I already know. :wink:

And I agree with those sentiments about Joe - IMO, he looks happier and healthier than he's looked in many years. Way to go, Joe!!! :yay:

Topkat
11-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Can someone who has read the entire book tell me if there is more than a few sentences on Bernie, Randy, Don F, Joe & Timothy? I feel most of these books are mostly about Don & Glenn & not much written about the other guys.
If most of the book is the Don/Glenn story, it has been told many times before. I am really interested to learn more about the other Eagles.:rockguitar:
Thanks

EaglesFanatic
11-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Can someone who has read the entire book tell me if there is more than a few sentences on Bernie, Randy, Don F, Joe & Timothy? I feel most of these books are mostly about Don & Glenn & not much written about the other guys.
If most of the book is the Don/Glenn story, it has been told many times before. I am really interested to learn more about the other Eagles.:rockguitar:
Thanks

This is one of the reasons why I enjoyed Heaven and Hell so much. Felder talked a lot about the other guys, and it wasn't just another book about Henley and Frey.

Freypower
11-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks

I thought it gave a reasonable amount of coverage to the other Eagles. But as other people have said you will learn precisely nothing that you didn't already know. If you are hoping for more information about the other Eagles that was lacking in other books you will be disappointed.

Freypower
11-06-2011, 06:04 PM
This is one of the reasons why I enjoyed Heaven and Hell so much. Felder talked a lot about the other guys, and it wasn't just another book about Henley and Frey.

It certainly wasn't. What it was about in my opinion was painting Henley & Frey in the worst possible light as Felder saw it.

Topkat
11-06-2011, 07:19 PM
I did read Felder's book Heaven & Hell, & although he does talk about himself, I still found that most of the book was about Henley & Frey, & I agree not very flattering to them. I didn't find much in there about the others. Joe, & Timothy were barely mentioned. Felder did mention very briefly Bernie & Randy, but again, not much.

I guess I was hoping for a little more on the relationships between the others & how they related to the things written about Don & Glenn. Especially like how they felt about their place in the band. I think the other's need to write their own memiors!! That would be really cool.
How about it guys?:smokin:

EaglesFanatic
11-06-2011, 08:47 PM
It certainly wasn't. What it was about in my opinion was painting Henley & Frey in the worst possible light as Felder saw it.

Well if you read the whole book, that's not what it was all about. I mean after all, the book is called Heaven and Hell. Also keep in mind that Felder wrote this book not long after he was fired... It's not completely irrational that he would have lingering indignation towards Henley and Frey.

Freypower
11-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Well if you read the whole book, that's not what it was all about. I mean after all, the book is called Heaven and Hell. Also keep in mind that Felder wrote this book not long after he was fired... It's not completely irrational that he would have lingering indignation towards Henley and Frey.

The 'lingering indignation' dominated the book, and even though the word 'heaven' is used in the title, there is not much 'heaven' anywhere in the book, which I personally found almost entirely negative. If other people didn't see this way, fair enough, but I'm afraid that is how I found it.

EaglesFanatic
11-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Agree to disagree, FP :) Sorry I led this thread off topic btw.

Brooke
11-07-2011, 11:31 AM
I really don't know all that much about Joe, but I did know he was in bad shape for awhile. I guess I didn't want to believe how bad it really was. Luckily, he pulled through it & is doing well now. Really happy for the way things turned out.

I just commented on Joe's condition because I didn't know he was that bad off. It really spelled it out there. It's been years since I read the other books about the Eagles, so if it was spelled out in them, then I had forgotten. It's amazing that he recovered and has stayed that way! :thumbsup:

11-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Well - I finally got a chance to read this book yesterday. Even though I knew from all of you who wrote about it here that there was nothing new in the book, I was holding out hope that we would at least get some insightful perspective from a supposed "insider" of sorts. I guess I had raised my expectations about this this book since Ben Fong-Torres knew the band personally, and he has the reputation as a well-respected reporter. But I have to admit, I was pretty disappointed that there was none of that. In fact, this 'insider' did nothing but rely on other books and newspaper articles that have been written about the band to tell his story. By his own admission, he even researched information about the Eagles/Rolling Stone softball game to help him write about it rather than relying on his own memory and perspective. I was also majorly turned off by the number of errors in the book. If Fong-Torres didn't hire an editor for this book, shame on him given his experience as a professional writer. If he did hire an editor, then shame on him for not hiring a better one.

Oh well - at least it wasn't a complete waste of my time ... I still enjoy reading about the band no matter how many times I've heard the story. It's kinda like The Wizard of Oz in that regard. :grin:

Windeagle
11-13-2011, 08:17 PM
I'm down to the last chapter and my thoughts are about the same. Nothing new plotwise. There were a few anecdotes I hadn't seen before, but you all probably have, having done this longer than I have. I kept getting frustrated because every time the author seemed about to go into depth, he changed the subject. It was like wanting to go for a refreshing swim and being stuck on top of the lily pads!

Topkat
11-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Well, I was in Barnes & Noble the other day & I finally got to see this new book, "Take It To The Limit" The one great thing about it on a quick look, was the beautiful large pictures of the band. WoW, I just loved seeing those. I read a little of the book but didn't buy it, but I will probably end up buying it one of these days. I had some things to do & didn't want to carry it all over with me.
I think it's worth buying just for the photos!! The other books had some pictures, but not like these.

GlennLover
11-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Dreamer, you mentioned all the errors. I was wondering if you or any one else know whether this is correct. In the part where Fong-Torres told about Glenn's early life he quotes Glenn's mother & says that Glenn's father had left & she was raising Glenn & his brother alone. I don't have the book here so I don't remember the exact quote. From what I have read I got the impression that Glenn's mother remarried much earlier & that his two brothers were actually his half brothers. Am I dreaming?

sodascouts
11-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Glenn has said his mother got re-married when he was around three, so I assume that is another inaccuracy on the part of Fong-Torres.

GlennLover
11-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks, Soda. glad to know that I wasn't dreaming.

Grey Sadler
02-26-2013, 12:02 AM
Just got this via Amazon today...looking forward to hunkering down during a possible snow day this week to read the whole thing! :D

VAisForEagleLovers
02-26-2013, 12:05 AM
Just got this via Amazon today...looking forward to hunkering down during a possible snow day this week to read the whole thing! :D

Snow?

I'm sure you've read the thread, so you know where the errors will be. The pics are pretty awesome. It occurs to me to wonder where my copy is. Hmmm.

Grey Sadler
02-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Snow?

I'm sure you've read the thread, so you know where the errors will be. The pics are pretty awesome. It occurs to me to wonder where my copy is. Hmmm.

Yep...possible snow here by the end of the week...[crossing fingers]

Already found the Bernie/Randy Poco confusion...:thumbsup:
and for the love of Pete...how can you be 17 in 1965 when you were born in 1946???? Seriously?! (and again, how the heck old was Randy when he got married the first time?!)

GlennLover
02-26-2013, 12:34 AM
Yep...possible snow here by the end of the week...[crossing fingers]

Already found the Bernie/Randy Poco confusion...:thumbsup:
and for the love of Pete...how can you be 17 in 1965 when you were born in 1946???? Seriously?! (and again, how the heck old was Randy when he got married the first time?!)

Yes, he would have been 17 in 1963. He was married very young, somewhere around 17.

Glennsallnighter
02-26-2013, 10:03 AM
I heard he was 14! Must've grown up young, most of the 14 year olds I know can't even look after themselves, not to mind a family

02-26-2013, 11:27 AM
I was thinking Randy was around 17 when he got married, too. I don't have time to research it right now, but I was thinking he married around 1963.

GlennLover
02-26-2013, 11:55 AM
I just checked on Randy Meisner Online (what better source eh?) & this is the quote from his bio: "he'd married at 17 to Jennifer Lee Barton."

sodascouts
02-26-2013, 12:50 PM
lol. I was about to contribute that factoid but you beat me to the punch! ;)

Troubadour
02-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Aw, so young!