PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Franchise

sodascouts
06-08-2011, 09:49 AM
I saw this on Undercover today:

Lynyrd Skynyrd Opens Restaurant (http://www.undercover.fm/news/15034-lynyrd-skynyrd-the-restaurant-to-open-in-vegas)

How would you feel if the Eagles did something like this? Would you think it was cool or that it was selling out? Lot of stars are opening restaurants or themed hotels, marketing themed games and dolls of themselves.... the list goes on and on. Would you enjoy things like that or think them lame? Or does it depend?

WalshFan88
06-08-2011, 05:54 PM
I think I'd be cool with it either way. I think the Skynyrd restuarant is a cool idea. Whenever I make it out to Vegas I'll check it out! I've been wanting to go to Vegas for a long time. I think the going to the extreme of selling dolls and animated figures is a bit much and lame but I've always loved the idea of rock n' roll restaurants/music-themed restaurants. There used to be one in Springfield, IL which was the Kenny Rogers restaurant and the food was SO good but they eventually got shut down by the health department for not having good upkeep on the place. But their mac and cheese and BBQ was OUTSTANDING! :hilarious:

So basically in a nutshell, I'm cool with a restaurant or a business, but not all of the other franchise stuff.

Freypower
06-08-2011, 06:39 PM
I will probably sound like a dreadful snob but the Eagles are a rock band. They are supposed to make music. They are not a 'franchise'. Given that the most they seem prepared to do is sell merchandise at their shows and given that it has been six years since they even released a DVD why would they go down this path?

GlennLover
06-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Glenn has jokingly said that they are going to open a "Hotel California" with employees running around in strange costumes, The Last Resort bar & The Sad Cafe restaurant. Could be cool :laugh:!

EaglesKiwi
06-09-2011, 04:15 AM
I don't like the idea, I think it's too much like the Hard Rock Cafe - i.e. it's been done before.

I'd rather they put their energy into touring, creating new music and if they feel a need to make more money then some well thought out merchandise - a couple of quality new DVDs would surely bring the $$$ streaming in! I'd also consider buying programmes from past concerts.

And as for the term "selling out"... I've been thinking about that over the last couple of days since Freypower mentioned putting photos up on their website. I'm starting to think that their website is giving that message - that they're selling out by only updating it with concert dates where they want fans to pay money - it would be really great to see the website acknowledging and giving back to the fans. Even something as simple as "thank you to everyone who came to our xxx tour. Here are some photos our camera people took on the nights." :xoxo:

Am I being too demanding? I know they're busy, but surely they could pay someone to update the dang thing at the end of each tour leg? :brickwall:

TimothyBFan
06-09-2011, 07:10 AM
and dolls of themselves....

Only if the Timothy doll is a life size one. ;) Wonder where they would market such a doll. :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
06-09-2011, 07:13 AM
Am I being too demanding? I know they're busy, but surely they could pay someone to update the dang thing at the end of each tour leg? :brickwall:

I have a certain webmistress in mind that would be PERFECT for the job!! :hilarious: I believe she'd not demand to much compensation for the job.

Brooke
06-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Willie, you crack me up! :rofl:

As far as the restaurant, or any of it for that matter, I can't see it ever happening with the Eagles. We are lucky to get a concert tour with merchandise available for sale there! Can't see them doing anything else at all other than working with their charities. Why should they? They are multi millionaires! They are in their 60's! Time to kick back and enjoy their riches rather than take on another headache!

ETA: I guess I should answer the question! I think it would be lame of them to do something like this! But I'd probably go to a restaurant just to say I did given the opportunity!

Annabel
06-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Bono and The Edge from U2 have a hotel in Dublin. Now if the Eagles considered having a hotel I'd happily sleep in one of their beds. ;)

But seriously, nah. They don't need it, or the headaches that go with any of that sort of thing.

Judy
06-09-2011, 12:00 PM
And as for the term "selling out"... I've been thinking about that over the last couple of days since Freypower mentioned putting photos up on their website. I'm starting to think that their website is giving that message - that they're selling out by only updating it with concert dates where they want fans to pay money - it would be really great to see the website acknowledging and giving back to the fans. Even something as simple as "thank you to everyone who came to our xxx tour. Here are some photos our camera people took on the nights." :xoxo:

DITTO!

EaglesKiwi
06-10-2011, 03:50 AM
I have a certain webmistress in mind that would be PERFECT for the job!! :hilarious: I believe she'd not demand to much compensation for the job.
Well, maybe not financial compensation. :twisted::rofl: And yes she'd be perfect.

Prettymaid
06-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Didn't they sorta kinda do this with the Hard Rock Theme Park back in 2008?

sodascouts
06-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Yes, I think the "Life in the Fast Lane" roller coaster fits under this heading... and I drove all the way to freaking South Carolina to experience that! I also think you could argue their plans for an Eagles-inspired musical fall into this category.

I haven't given my opinion on this yet, so I will now. I don't think it's so awful for them to do fun themed things like the restaurant as long as it's done tastefully. I'd buy an Eagles Monopoly or Trivia Pursuit, eat in an Eagles-themed restaurant, stay at a Eagles-themed Hotel California... and I'd think it was mega-cool, as long as they didn't charge an arm and a leg. Ok, I wouldn't necessarily want them to start selling cologne, clothing, and dolls, but one doesn't have to go that far. There's such a thing as a happy medium!

WalshFan88
06-12-2011, 06:39 PM
I haven't given my opinion on this yet, so I will now. I don't think it's so awful for them to do fun themed things like the restaurant as long as it's done tastefully. I'd buy an Eagles Monopoly or Trivia Pursuit, eat in an Eagles-themed restaurant, stay at a Eagles-themed Hotel California... and I'd think it was mega-cool, as long as they didn't charge an arm and a leg. Ok, I wouldn't necessarily want them to start selling cologne, clothing, and dolls, but one doesn't have to go that far. There's such a thing as a happy medium!

+1 Agreed!

Freypower
06-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Yes, I think the "Life in the Fast Lane" roller coaster fits under this heading... and I drove all the way to freaking South Carolina to experience that! I also think you could argue their plans for an Eagles-inspired musical fall into this category.

I think it would undermine their credibility as 'serious artists'. They should put their energy into making more music, not merchandising ventures. Though they have sold millions of albums are they really so well known in the broader community that such a venture would work? We hear that argument about 'casual fans' so often regarding attendance at their shows. What sort of numbers would this sort of activity attract?

A Monopoly might work but Trival Pursuit? I don't know how you would get enough questions. A restaurant or hotel would only be viable in the United States and perhaps only in Southern California.

And the reality is they are coming to the end of their career as a band. They've left it far too late to consider branching out this way.

sodascouts
06-12-2011, 08:09 PM
If Lynyrd Skynyrd is popular enough to have a restaurant, then the Eagles are.

As for it being too much of a distraction - how much work would it really be for these guys? I imagine that they'd sign some papers and then hand all the nuts-and-bolts work off to others for something like this.

sodascouts
06-13-2011, 02:18 AM
Just for the sake of being goofy....

Don Henley's Signature Henley Shirt!
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/hfo147.JPG

Glenn Frey Signature "Heat is On" Irons - golf irons, that is!
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/GFrey18Dec97.jpg

Joe Walsh Signature Rocky Mountain Weather-Proof Hats!
http://www.joewalshonline.com/images/JWalshDrury-01.jpg

Timothy B. Schmit Signature Industrial Strength Shampoo/Conditioner - helps one achieve the Silky Schmit Sheen! No job too big!
http://www.timothybschmitonline.com/images/TSchmitVB02.jpg

WalshFan88
06-13-2011, 02:40 AM
Joe Walsh Signature Rocky Mountain Weather-Proof Hats!
http://www.joewalshonline.com/images/JWalshDrury-01.jpg

I would totally rock one of those hats onstage! :guitar: :D

Annabel
06-13-2011, 03:09 AM
The people of the UK could have done with one of those each yesterday if we all had the same weather as the south did. It was still raining this morning. 24 hours + on from the first raindrop. :shock: Joe would have made a fortune here alone. :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
06-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Those are great Soda!!! :hilarious:

I also agree, I really don't see why a restaurant wouldn't actually work. I love restaurants of the stars. I've actually been to a few of those. When we were in the Pigeon Forge area of Tennessee in the mid/late 90s,we went to Alan Jackson's restaurant. My husband jokingly called it the "I Love Myself" restaurant because everywhere you looked was Alan Jackson videos, memorabilia, etc.... I laughed then but the more I think about seeing that much stuff of the Eagles all in one place, the more I LOOOOOVE the idea. :thumbsup:

Now for the menu..... Didn't we have a thread one time where we took recipes and made them Eagly, like Heartache Tonight Chili, etc....:hilarious:

sodascouts
06-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Now for the menu..... Didn't we have a thread one time where we took recipes and made them Eagly, like Heartache Tonight Chili, etc....:hilarious:

lol! I know we had one of those for ice cream, but I can't remember the other food one. If we don't, we should make it!

TimothyBFan
06-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Was just searching for it and found this one.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1160&highlight=what%27s+dinner

We need to keep this thread handy in case they ever do open a restaurant, we could give them these ideas. :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
06-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Here you go!

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1160&highlight=what%27s+dinner

sodascouts
06-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Thanks for finding the link!

Prettymaid
06-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Unfortunately I had copied my recipes to photobucket and have since moved them. Sorry!

Freypower
06-13-2011, 07:43 PM
I've just seen this:

http://www.undercover.fm/news/15063-metallica-monopoly-to-be-released-next-week

Note this comment:

Fans are divided over the idea with many talking in the band’s official forum of Metallica “selling out”.

If it were up to me I would far prefer Monopoly to something like a restaurant. I think it would be going against the band's image to lend their name to something like that. As if they don't already have enough money.

They should be trying to connect with their fans (which includes their non-American fans, who will NOT have any connection to them if they opened a restaurant) by recording new music, releasing a new DVD, or just putting new photos on that excuse for a website.

EaglesKiwi
06-14-2011, 03:10 AM
Wholeheartedly agree. At least we could order Monopoly and have it shipped around the world!!

sodascouts
06-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Hey, don't you guys have Hard Rock Cafes? I'd think it'd be the same kind of market. But heck, what do I know about it? lol

EaglesKiwi
06-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Hey, don't you guys have Hard Rock Cafes? I'd think it'd be the same kind of market. But heck, what do I know about it? lol
We had one for a short time in Auckland (NZ's biggest city). It closed down in 2004.

I also went to HRC in Sydney many many years ago... but there are so many good places to eat in Sydney & Melbourne that it would be hard to choose a place just based on a gimmick. :hilarious:

Freypower
06-14-2011, 06:43 PM

Soda, I'm sorry to dissent from your opinion. Perhaps this would work in the US; but HRCs offer an experience based on a wide range of musicians, not just one band. And in the end all it is are some guitars & other memorabilia stuck on a wall.

There are HRCs in Melbourne & the Gold Coast. The Sydney HRC is due to reopen at some stage. Although I've been there several times, and I've religiously been to quite a few HRCs all over the world (my last visit was to the one in London) the market is extremely competitive. Realistically a proposition like this would be for the United States.

sodascouts
06-14-2011, 11:43 PM
When I was younger and my parents lived overseas, we went to HRCs all over the world. I collected T-shirts like crazy - which now all reside in my parent's closet as they are completely out of style. lol

I can see why it might work best in America.

Annabel
06-15-2011, 03:33 AM
Erm ..... guilty. :blush: I have t-shirts, polo shirts & guitar pins from lots of HRC's, mainly America other than my one London one. Heck I've even got the denim jacket from HRC Las Vegas. :brickwall: Don't wear any of them.

My DH goes running in one of his (having creasoted the fence first in it and dripped creasote on it. :eyebrow:) He had lots of t-shirts too and recently threw them all out. I can't quite bring myself to do that.............yet. :hilarious: Oh and also have a fair few Planet Hollywood bits too.

TimothyBFan
06-15-2011, 07:35 AM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? LOVE HRC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have visited them in every city I've ever visited that had one. In fact the very first time I was ever in one happen to be the original one in NYC in the mid 80s. I was in heaven! I have also collected shirts from all over the world, thanks to friends, but have mostly worn them out. My most recent was from somewhere in Egypt I believe that my BIL brought back for me when he lived there for a few years.

Soda--I have a friend that traveled a lot and had bunches of HRC & PH shirts that she never wore. She ended up having a quilt made of them--it is very, very cool. Here's a picture.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Katquilt.jpg

Annabel
06-15-2011, 09:03 AM
:thumbsup: Like that idea Willie. I have enough to do that I reckon. :hilarious:

Love HCR too. I think NY was my first one too. 1991. The t shirts are great quality, wash well! Should have said - don't wear any of them .... now! Some have never been worn though. :eyebrow: I would wear them still, but they are too big on me. I bought large not medium / small for some stupid reason. :brickwall: Mind you they make a great collection and are going nowhere.

sodascouts
06-15-2011, 09:11 AM
What a great idea! I'll have to look into that!

Funny story: when my family visited Amsterdam, I was about 14 and my younger sister was 13. We didn't have time to eat at the HRC, but of course my sister and I still wanted our shirts, so our parents gave us some money and told us to go in and pick them out while they went next door to buy something. We did but we got finished first and came outside to wait for them.

Now, my sister and I were very sheltered, so when some Rastafarian dude came up to us and asked us if we were American, we thought nothing of it. We started chatting with him, glad to find someone who could speak English. Suddenly, he pulled out a clear baggie of something that to me looked like bits of oregano. "Girls... would you like some?" He asked, shaking the baggie.

"What's that?" I asked him, peering at it.

The guy laughed and said, "Ah, you never smoked grass before? You can have the first bag for free then!" Since I was the one doing the talking (as usual), he tried to hand it to me. He grinned widely. "It's OK, girls! You're in Amsterdam! You can try it with no worries!"

"Grass - Oh!" I gasped, finally comprehending what was happening. I got struck with a sense of terror which I'm sure was painted all over my face, thinking I was in the midst of some kind of drug deal and that the police could show up any minute (forgetting it's legal in Amsterdam). "No! We're waiting for our parents!" I said quickly. "They're coming any minute!" I backed away hurriedly, pulling my sister along. He walked off, still laughing to himself.

My sister asked me after he was out of earshot, "Did that guy just try to offer us drugs?"

"Yep," I replied. "Let's not tell Mom and Dad about this - they'd never let us go into another Hard Rock Cafe alone again!" lol

Back on topic -the Eagles must love people like us, who are hungry to buy stuff with their names splashed all over it. We're the ones crowding the merch table, eager to spend our money on their stuff. We're the SUPERFANS! ;)

Brooke
06-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Oh my gosh, Soda! Your story is hilarious!

Willie, love the quilt. Great idea. I've only been to two HRC's and no PH's. I think I still have the HRC t-shirt stored somewhere with my Eagles t-shirts. None of which I wear. What is it with not wearing them? I guess I think they are sacred or something. :shrug:

Freypower
06-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Not to go further off topic but the HRCs I have been to:

Sydney
Melbourne
Hong Kong (both Kowloon & mainland)
Singapore
Bangkok
London (including last year)
Paris
New York
New Orleans
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Honolulu

I made my mother go to the Berlin & Boston HRCs.

The only PHs I ever went to was in Helsinki & Hong Kong. They didn't have the same success as HRCs. There was one in Sydney which closed years ago. I never went to the one in Leicester Square in London & when I looked last year it had closed.

I wore the T shirts until I could wear them no more but the only ones I can still wear are a London sweatshirt from back in 1992 and a T shirt which I bought there last year.

I thought the original HRC was London's which opened in 1971. I don't know when New York's opened.

Annabel
06-16-2011, 04:49 AM
I thought the original HRC was London's which opened in 1971. I don't know when New York's opened.

It was the first. :thumbsup:

Taken from HRC London web page

Standing on Old Park Lane since June 14th 1971, this is the one that started it all. New York now has a new HRC on Broadway, opened in 2005, I think that Willie meant the original HRC in NY. That was certainly the one I went to not the new one.

tequila girl
06-16-2011, 04:58 AM
I've never been to a HRC or PH :-( :-( ................sheltered life i've led :blush: :blush: :blush: :hilarious:

Annabel
06-16-2011, 05:02 AM
:rofl: :rofl: Oh if only there was one at Hops Farm. :soda::cheers:

Brooke
06-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Not to go further off topic but the HRCs I have been to:

Sydney
Melbourne
Hong Kong (both Kowloon & mainland)
Singapore
Bangkok
London (including last year)
Paris
New York
New Orleans
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Honolulu

Wow, Fp! You are quite the traveler! How nice! I so wish I could do that! :thumbsup:

Freypower
06-16-2011, 06:57 PM
It was the first. :thumbsup:

Taken from HRC London web page

New York now has a new HRC on Broadway, opened in 2005, I think that Willie meant the original HRC in NY. That was certainly the one I went to not the new one.

And it was a great location on 7th & 57th, right next to Carnegie Hall.

I forgot about my Melbourne HRC sweatshirt which I am actually wearing today, although it goes back to 1997.

Prettymaid
06-21-2011, 06:49 PM
I have to admit I'm not much of a collector, have some concert t-shirts, but I doubt that I would buy an Eagles Monopoly game. I would however patronize an Eagles Restaurant, but I hope they wouldn't call it the Sad Cafe. How about The Long Run (for luck)!