PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Song Survivor: All-Stars!

Pages : [1] 2

sodascouts
09-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Time for Eagles Survivor All-Stars, where the winners of all of our previous Eagles Survivor Games compete to be the last one standing!

Note: you need to have been a member in good standing for at least three weeks before you are allowed to cast a vote.

If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551&postcount=7)

I'm going to list the All-Star songs here. Vote for the song that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The song that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "Voted off of the island.") Each round, one more song will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for your LEAST favorite, not your favorite.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will end at 8:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Votes cannot be cast after the cut off time of 8:00 on the second day, and they cannot be changed once you have voted.

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared.

The tie-breaker question will be asked one hour after results are in, if there is need for it. The exception is the last round. If the tie-breaker does not resolve the last round, then the tie will be allowed to stand.

And the winner is....

TAKE IT EASY!

Songs eliminated:

Waiting in the Weeds 9/9
Seven Bridges Road 9/11
The Best of My Love 9/13
Heartache Tonight 9/15
Tequila Sunrise 9/17
Take It to the Limit 9/19
Hotel California 9/21

GAME OVER.

Ive always been a dreamer
09-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Okay – I will start off by saying that every single song in this game is awesome. Not only are these some of the best songs the Eagles recorded, but they are some of the best songs ever recorded by anyone, IMHO – they are among the ‘cream of the crop’ – the ‘best of the best’. This should be a really interesting game, but it is going to be even harder than usual because of the quality of the competition here. However, according to the rules of the game – we have to vote off something each round. I gave this a lot of thought and decided that the first song I would eliminate is Waiting In the Weeds. I know that some folks will not agree with me, but it would be a virtual impossibility to get unanimity here on any of these songs. WITW is an absolutely gorgeous song and my second favorite song on LROOE, but it hasn’t had the benefit of standing the test of time like all the others. It is too new to be given the same status as these other classic songs that still resonate after 35 – 40 years so I feel it should be the first to go. Maybe one day WITW will be in the same company with these other songs, but I guess we’ll have to wait about 25 - 30 more years to see. So while I’m withholding my vote for now, I urge everyone to join together and save the classics for at least one round.

Wildthyme
09-07-2011, 08:25 PM
I agree with you Dreamer. Although I love WITW it just does not have the same status as the true "classics". Since I had already made the decision and am not concerned about wavering, at least for this round, I will cast my vote now.

My vote this round for elimination goes to Waiting in the Weeds...

sodascouts
09-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Gosh, it pains me to vote for any of these songs!

However, my first pick to go is Seven Bridges Road.

I love, love, love this song, but the guys didn't write it and it never made it on to a studio album. As such, I feel it has a disadvantage when it's put next to the other songs on this list.

WalshFan88
09-07-2011, 08:55 PM
This is a no-brainer for me: Waiting In The Weeds

Freypower
09-07-2011, 09:07 PM
I am very surprised by the votes for WITW. I don't think it should matter how recent the song is; is it a great song? How does it compare AS A SONG to the others, regardless of release date? It isn't my favourite track from LROOE but I know how much many people love it.

I vote for Best Of My Love.

EagleLady
09-07-2011, 09:13 PM
I vote for Waiting In The Weeds

timfan
09-07-2011, 09:36 PM
I vote for Best of my Love

luvthelighthouse
09-07-2011, 09:39 PM
I'm having a hard time already! I do know that I will not be voting for WITW. Had it of been released 30 years ago, I believe it would stand the test of time.

Talk about unpopular opinions, I'm trying to decide between Hotel California and SBR. Like Soda said about SBR, they didn't write or record it...

I know HC is amongst the best of the best songs ever! I know HC is to the the Eagles what Stairway to Heaven is to Zepplin. HC is probably the most recogized song of the Eagles. Generation from generation it is loved and celebrated. It's awesome, no doubt. It's just that it's not "my" favorite. I would pick any song on this list to listen to before I chose HC.

I'm at a crossroads weather I can vote for it, because of all the reasons I just mentioned. Better sleep on this one.

EaglesFanatic
09-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Waiting In The Weeds

Windeagle
09-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Having just listened to WITW repeatedly today because I couldn't get enough, I can't bear to vote it down in the first round. I still don't think it'll go all the way, but for Round 1, I have to vote Seven Bridges Road.. Good song, but it just doesn't stand up to the rest, IMO.

Koala
09-08-2011, 12:36 AM
WOW, that is very difficult! The heaviest first round in a Survivor for me!
Ok, my first vote goes to Waiting In The Weeds
I love this song but.......... I have to choose one so it has taken this song!

TimothyBFan
09-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Okay – I will start off by saying that every single song in this game is awesome. Not only are these some of the best songs the Eagles recorded, but they are some of the best songs ever recorded by anyone, IMHO – they are among the ‘cream of the crop’ – the ‘best of the best’.

Could not agree with you more..... but then you went and dissed WITW and you lost me!! :hilarious:

These are ALL going to be difficult ones to eliminate. I had the first round narrowed down to 2 and until just a few minutes ago, wasn't sure which one I would be voting for first.

As usual, I will vote from my heart. And I must apologize to Austin right now.... It may be one of the best songs in rock n roll history and EVERYONE knows it unless you've lived under a rock but it's just not one of my faves.

I vote for Hotel California.

Henley Honey
09-08-2011, 08:13 AM
My vote is for Seven Bridges Road. While the harmonies are beautiful, this song has never really done it for me. What I think really killed it was when they started opening with it at the end of the LROOE Tour instead of opening with How Long as they had previously done. I love that initial burst of energy when they hit the stage "hard" and SBR just doesn't do it IMO.

TimothyBFan
09-08-2011, 08:15 AM
I know HC is to the the Eagles what Stairway to Heaven is to Zepplin.

And as a huge Zep fan, and as many Zep fans feel, Stairway is one of my least favorite Zep songs just as HC is one of my least favorite Eagles songs. Strange.:headscratch:

I am very surprised by the votes for WITW. I don't think it should matter how recent the song is; is it a great song? How does it compare AS A SONG to the others, regardless of release date?

Totally agree but that's what makes these games so interesting. We all use different criteria for elimination. Just like those voting for 7BR because it wasn't written by an Eagle. I see your point but it's freakin' amazing when the Eagles sing it!!!

WalshFan88
09-08-2011, 08:25 AM
:argue:

Warning: Rant coming up.... :hilarious:

Hotel California is the be all end all of the Eagles for me. If it wasn't for that song, I would not have heard of the Eagles, much less been a fan. And more importantly I wouldn't be alive today. It's their best song and album and best lineup. It's one I listen to everyday and I put the album on the stereo and listen to front to back every week. I never get tired of hearing it. It's one that you never can get tired of. If I had to pick one song to listen to over and over for the rest of my life and I could listen to no other music it'd be Hotel California. In fact I'm content with just listening to Hotel California (the album) for the rest of my life. It's that good. It's what put the Eagles into true big success. It is their "Stairway To Heaven", their "Satisfaction", and their "A Day In The Life". It is what took them from being a country band into being the best Classic Rock band of all time. It's not a secret to anyone here I'm a rock n' roll diehard and I dislike country, folk, and bluegrass. I'll spare you that speech/rant. The Eagles best albums IMO are Hotel California, The Long Run, and On The Border. Getting Joe Walsh in there in place of Bernie Leadon as well as Don Felder to rock it up was probably "the" thing that was instrumental in their success and what took them from being a well known country/country rock band into super stardom and being the biggest known American Classic Rock band of all time. I fully believe without the success of Hotel California they would not have been as big as they are today.

To sum it up into one sentence: Hotel California is a masterpiece and the best song of all time ever written by anyone IMO. It beats any other music out there. I would be more than content just to listen to that song for the rest of my life - that's how much I like it. The album is the soundtrack of my life.

I don't understand how someone could vote off their biggest hit, let alone right away, and leave on an LROOE song. Sorry I'm just not a fan of that album. It can't hold a candle to their prior works, especially Hotel California and The Long Run. It drifts too far off from what I like about the Eagles. I like the rockin' stuff more. Soft songs are okay as long as they are more rock - less country. For stuff like that I prefer the 80s Power Ballads were they took a soft slow song and injected electric guitars into it (REO, Journey, etc). I'm a true classic rock junkie. It is the be all end all of music to me. The distorted loud guitars and the high pitched vocals. That's music to me. Not folky voices and banjos. :rofl: Now it's my turn to apologize and say sorry to those who like LROOE. I realize it was a successful seller, and I realize people like it. But I just don't - kind of like how Willie doesn't like Hotel California. It's just me.

Rant over. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

WalshFan88
09-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Totally agree but that's what makes these games so interesting. We all use different criteria for elimination. Just like those voting for 7BR because it wasn't written by an Eagle. I see your point but it's freakin' amazing when the Eagles sing it!!!

I couldn't agree more. It's very interesting to watch how people vote and what songs they like and dislike and why and so on. It makes for interesting reading and to realize how different my thoughts are from other people's thoughts. :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
09-08-2011, 08:47 AM
It is their "Stairway To Heaven", their "Satisfaction", and their "A Day In The Life".

Geesh, another Stairway comparison! :hilarious:

I don't understand how someone could vote off their biggest hit, let alone right away, and leave on an LROOE song. Sorry I'm just not a fan of that album. It can't hold a candle to their prior works, especially Hotel California and The Long Run. It drifts too far off from what I like about the Eagles. I like the rockin' stuff more. Soft songs are okay as long as they are more rock - less country. For stuff like that I prefer the 80s Power Ballads were they took a soft slow song and injected electric guitars into it (REO, Journey, etc). I'm a true classic rock junkie. It is the be all end all of music to me. The distorted loud guitars and the high pitched vocals. That's music to me. Not folky voices and banjos. :rofl: Now it's my turn to apologize and say sorry to those who like LROOE. I realize it was a successful seller, and I realize people like it. But I just don't - kind of like how Willie doesn't like Hotel California. It's just me.

As you know, I am also a classic rock junkie and I know HC is a classic rock icon but doesn't mean it's one of my faves and that's how I vote.

Warning-SPOILER: And to top it off, I'm gonna let the cat out of the bag.... since it's not gonna make it that far anyways and probably going down this round, one of my top 3 songs and possibly the one I was actually thinking about putting at the very top of my list is, Waiting In The Weeds. The LROOE album and that song in particular came into my life at a a very dark time (my fathers terminal illness/death, the death of one of my best friends & the death of one of my aunts) and brought me a lot of comfort. So see, Austin, I kinda of credit that song with helping me through a very rough spot in my life just like you credit HC with helping you. Everyone has their reasons, and those are ours.

WalshFan88
09-08-2011, 08:55 AM
And to top it off, I'm gonna let the cat out of the bag.... since it's not gonna make it that far anyways and probably going down this round, one of my top 3 songs and possibly the one I was actually thinking about putting at the very top of my list is, Waiting In The Weeds. The LROOE album and that song in particular came into my life at a a very dark time (my fathers terminal illness/death, the death of one of my best friends & the death of one of my aunts) and brought me a lot of comfort. So see, Austin, I kinda of credit that song with helping me through a very rough spot in my life just like you credit HC with helping you. Everyone has their reasons, and those are ours.

And I of course respect that. :) But you can see how I feel about Hotel California then as it truly did save my life and change my life. Just like I can't understand LROOE, you can't understand HC. But I certainly respect that you like it and it means a lot to you - of course. I understand that it means a lot to you - just like Hotel California means a lot to me.

It's just that I never connected with LROOE. To me it was too experimental in some areas. Which is why I don't like bands like Pink Floyd, Rush, Greatful Dead, etc. Some of their stuff was more popular and mainstream and classic but most of their stuff was too experimental for me. I tend to like the hits, classic, and mainstream sounding music and the popular stuff in classic rock and the classics and the songs that get the most airplay. I've found pretty much all of the songs I like are hits and classics and are frequently played. The way I see it - they are hits for a reason. I just like the popular music in Classic Rock.

So I guess you can tell which song I want to win. :D

Annabel
09-08-2011, 08:57 AM
I vote for 7 Bridges Road this round. Love the song, but as it has already been said they didn't write it and out of this list it's my least fave.

TimothyBFan
09-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Which is why I don't like bands like Pink Floyd, Rush, Greatful Dead, etc.

:hilarious: I'm about to slap you silly boy!! :steviesmack: You say you love the hits-have you ever really delved into some of the deeper tracks of some of these artists? Just curious. And this probably isn't the place for this discussion so if you like, we should go to the Share The Music You Love thread and do it there. Sorry for the interruption in this thread! :blush:

So I guess you can tell which song I want to win. :D

Honey, I knew that days ago, before it even started!! You're an open book! ;)

Brooke
09-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Wow, 3 pages by the time I got here! I knew this would have lots of discussion!

So, my first thought was 7BR because they didn't write it. It's also a very short song and they only sing part of it most of the time when they do it in concert. Why, I can't figure out.

But dreamer has persuaded me about WITW. I agree with you. But don't get me wrong, it's my favorite off of LROOE. It's absolutely beautiful and takes my breath away every time I hear it. But it hasn't stood the test of time.....yet. I want the classics to hang in there first.

I cast my vote of Waiting In The Weeds.

GlennLover
09-08-2011, 11:31 AM
I am deliberating between WITW & 7BR. I logged in to read what has been posted so far to see if any one's arguments would help me to decide between them. I read Dreamer's post & agreed with her so I decided to vote off WITW. As I continued reading I saw Soda's post about 7BR & I agreed with her. :confused: Now, after reading all the posts I'm no further ahead! :brickwall:I guess I'll have to flip a coin on this one unless anyone can persuade me otherwise. :help:

VAisForEagleLovers
09-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Are newbies allowed to be part of the discussion, if not cast an actual vote? I'm almost glad I can't vote. This is a tough one. But I find it interesting that of all the songs on the list, the ones voted for most often so far are two of the three on the list that make the most of Eagle harmonies throughout the length of the songs.

Windeagle
09-08-2011, 11:42 AM
I am deliberating between WITW & 7BR. I logged in to read what has been posted so far to see if any one's arguments would help me to decide between them. I read Dreamer's post & agreed with her so I decided to vote off WITW. As I continued reading I saw Soda's post about 7BR & I agreed with her. :confused: Now, after reading all the posts I'm no further ahead! :brickwall:I guess I'll have to flip a coin on this one unless anyone can persuade me otherwise. :help:

If it's any help, my criteria was the craftsmanship of the song on its own merits. I ignored history, its influence on the music world as a whole, etc. and looked at the song as simply a song. Both WITW and 7BR have stellar vocals and harmonies, but for me, WITW adds complex musical arrangements that 7BR could not match. Using that criteria, one might question why I didn't knock out Tequila Sunrise, but in that case, the sparseness of the music is part of what creates the mood and makes the song so beautiful.

This, of course, is all my personal opinion. Your mileage may vary. :)

GlennLover
09-08-2011, 11:59 AM
If it's any help, my criteria was the craftsmanship of the song on its own merits. I ignored history, its influence on the music world as a whole, etc. and looked at the song as simply a song. Both WITW and 7BR have stellar vocals and harmonies, but for me, WITW adds complex musical arrangements that 7BR could not match. Using that criteria, one might question why I didn't knock out Tequila Sunrise, but in that case, the sparseness of the music is part of what creates the mood and makes the song so beautiful.

This, of course, is all my personal opinion. Your mileage may vary. :)

Thanks, WE. That's certainly food for thought.

luvthelighthouse
09-08-2011, 04:09 PM
So, I slept on it. Yes, HC is awesome and pretty much has become an epic song, stood the test of generations...so, I will allow it to stay on my list another round... still though, not even on my top 10 favorite list of Eagles songs, I appreciate it for what it is.

WITW, while not on my hit list, but someone wants an arguement for it to stay... just because it wasn't released in the 70's, doesn't make it any less great. The song, much like the band, comes full circle. The story, the imagery, the harmonies, TBS signing against Don at the end... all makings of a true Eagles hit. Had this song been released at an earlier time and gotten radio airplay, it no doubt would have become as popular as many other Eagles hits. Of course we use the "stood the test of time" method to vote, that is what puts WITW at a disadvantage. It was given too us too recently, but think of how you might feel about it in twenty years.

Now, 7BR... a song I yearned for them perform live again and was impressed when they did so. The sole thing that makes this song for me, is the tightness in which they sing it. Their vocals are amazing, but really, when aren't they? :) It's in this game because of it's appeal... but something must go. Since all songs on the ballet are great, I most use some criteria to let it go... it's not a signature Eagles song and it wasn't written by them.

I love you 7BR, but I am releasing you the southern skies.

I vote for Seven Bridges Road.

09-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Are newbies allowed to be part of the discussion, if not cast an actual vote? I'm almost glad I can't vote. This is a tough one. But I find it interesting that of all the songs on the list, the ones voted for most often so far are two of the three on the list that make the most of Eagle harmonies throughout the length of the songs.

Yes VAisFEL, you absolutely may contribute to the discussion here. Too bad you didn't join the board a few weeks sooner so you could vote, but feel free to post your thoughts. It'll give you some practice for the next game. :wink:

09-08-2011, 05:48 PM
ltl - that is a very solid and eloquent argument for WITW. As I said before, it is a wonderful song. When I thought about it, I absolutely considered all of that. I didn't just base my decision on the fact that the song is newer. I considered all the things I normally do such as vocals, harmonies, melody, music, lyrics, and arrangements for all of the songs, and the fact of the matter is, they all excel in just about every category. I think there is actually very little difference in the quality of any of these songs. But given that all things are almost equal, I went with the argument that the song has not achieved the 'classic' status of the others. When comparing the song just against 7BR, I do give the edge to 7BR though. Even though it wasn't written by the band, it is simply one on the best ensemble vocal performances in rock history, IMHO. Personally, I can't find any weaknesses in the song in any other areas either.

So, as you said, I guess the bottom line is that it all boils down to which criteria you put the most weight on - whether or not a song was written by the band or whether or not a song has stood the test of time. Obviously, I give the edge to the 35-year old song that still resonates with the general public. I don't think WITW really even resonated that well with the current day audience so I'm not convinced it will stand the test of time. However, I could be wrong - things can change over time, that's for sure.

Freypower
09-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Regarding Seven Bridges Road I was bemused when I finally saw it and they did the shortened version. It didn't make any sense to me. I used to love the song but I would have to say that it no longer resonates with me no matter how great the harmonies are. I suppose the lyrics don't mean very much to me either.

GlennLover
09-08-2011, 07:20 PM
I had to flip a coin. I agree with the arguments for both songs & I haven't been swayed more one way than the other. Therefore, because it is the loser of the coin toss-

I cast my vote for Seven Bridges Road.

whitcap
09-08-2011, 08:18 PM
This round is gonna be a close one. Waiting in the Weeds and Seven Bridges Road are currently tied for the most votes. I haven't decided what to vote for yet.

sodascouts
09-08-2011, 09:54 PM
This is crazy. I voted for Seven Bridges Road, yet I still feel the urge to defend it from criticism because I adore it. Must... resist... lol

luvthelighthouse
09-08-2011, 10:00 PM
This is crazy. I voted for Seven Bridges Road, yet I still feel the urge to defend it from criticism because I adore it. Must... resist... lol

That's why this game is going to be near impossible!!! Like Dreamer said, most of these songs are top notch quality with little difference between them.

I have a feeling there are going to be apologies along with most votes! :hilarious: I think we all feel bad we have to vote any of them off.

EaglesKiwi
09-09-2011, 02:34 AM
I don't think WITW really even resonated that well with the current day audience so I'm not convinced it will stand the test of time. However, I could be wrong - things can change over time, that's for sure.
I am absolutely convinced that Waiting in the Weeds will stand the test of time. It is truly beautiful, the lyrics are meaningful and clever, and the vocals with Tim's harmony at the end are exquisite.

I think its being a new song is to its credit, too. It hasn't been overplayed (a couple on the list have over here, and they're not the same Eagles songs other people have commented about being overplayed in their countries... but I'll leave that commentary for later!).

The lines from "and now the ferris wheel has stopped" through to "baby what a mess you're making" send tingles down my spine. Don's voice is magnificent, and the imagery throughout the song adds an extra dimension.

So, in case you haven't guessed :hilarious: I really love WITW and it is my personal pick for #1 on this list.

EaglesKiwi
09-09-2011, 02:36 AM
And I am voting OFF Seven Bridges Road. Yes it's pretty, the harmonies are lovely - as they are on most Eagles songs - and the lyrics are nice. But in my very very humble opinion it just doesn't compete lyrically with other songs on the list. And it's too short!! :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
09-09-2011, 08:50 AM
I really love WITW and it is my personal pick for #1 on this list.

YAY!!! I'm not alone!!!

And it's times like this I wish I didn't feel so compelled to always vote from the heart. I'm going to feel really bad if WITW loses by 1 vote and I could of possible saved it by voting for 7BR instead of HC. :brickwall:

Glennsallnighter
09-09-2011, 09:42 AM
This is just going to be such a difficult one! I love all the songs in the list and think I know which one I would vote as my top. In saying that my top 2 all time favourites never made it onto the list in the first place!

So at the moment I'm in a dilemma, as I love them all! I guess I'll give it another hour or 2 before I vote for definite!

Brooke
09-09-2011, 09:59 AM
I am absolutely convinced that Waiting in the Weeds will stand the test of time. It is truly beautiful, the lyrics are meaningful and clever, and the vocals with Tim's harmony at the end are exquisite.

Yes it truly is beautiful and I feel it's a masterpiece and I love it, but, I don't think it can stand the test of time because it was never played on the radio or released as a single. (Correct me if I'm wrong!) I think it will with hardcore fans like us, but the casual fans probably don't know it at all. jmo

BBKron
09-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Oh boy! It's quite obvious that this is going to be a very tense battle. We've already had several heated, emotional, and heartfelt pleas for songs, and this is only the FIRST SONG to be eliminated!

There's no question that these are all (or mostly all) great, classic songs, some of them not only great Eagles songs, but among the great rock songs of all-time. So, I guess there is alot riding on this, it is for the ultimate Eagles song.

But actually, for me, this edition is less compelling than many of the individual album survivor, editions, possibly because these all ARE already such classic hits. And for me, personally, almost none of these (the exception being Take It Easy) are actually my favorite songs from their respective albums, which dampens the fun a bit.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love these songs. They are great classic songs, just generally not my very favorites of all their songs. The other thing is that I actually find it relatively easy and straightforward as to how to vote in this survivor. I pretty much know how I'm going to vote for each round already, and it seems relatively painless.

One of the only causes for pause, is, do I vote solely for the 'best song', or should I be influenced by the album that each song represents in the competition. That is, should I hold out longer for Tequila Sunrise because not only is it a great song, but it represents my favorite album, Desperado, despite the fact that it is only about the 4th or 5th best song on this great album (IMHO)?

Anyway, for the first song to be eliminated, the choice was simple, I vote for Waiting in the Weeds. Yes it is a beautiful song, but it is by no means in the same class as their earlier classics, for much the same reasons as many others have stated. Now, perhaps if How Long would have won the LROOE survivor game, my choice and reasoning would be different, because that does have more of the classic Eagles sound (and actually IS an OLD classic).

EaglesKiwi
09-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Yes it truly is beautiful and I feel it's a masterpiece and I love it, but, I don't think it can stand the test of time because it was never played on the radio or released as a single. (Correct me if I'm wrong!) I think it will with hardcore fans like us, but the casual fans probably don't know it at all. jmo
I guess that depends on how you define "stand the test of time". To me, that means that people will still enjoy listening to it and will realise that it's a great song, 20+ years after it's been released.

I think they sold around 7 million copies of the LROOE album? That's probably more than just hardcore fans, and I think is sufficient numbers to allow any of those songs to still be listened to in 20, 30 or even 50 years time - i.e. they will stand the test of time.

Of course that's just my personal opinion!:)

Freypower
09-09-2011, 05:07 PM
EK, I agree with you. The fact is, if I use Glenn as an example, his masterpiece Strange Weather was a commercial failure. Does that make it less of a masterpiece? In my opinion the answer is a resounding no. Some of the best songs in rock history were not 'radio songs' or 'singles' (I am thinking of the Beatles' masterpiece Revolver in this regard).

whitcap
09-09-2011, 05:20 PM
I vote for Seven Bridges Road.

Glennsallnighter
09-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Ok, I have looked at the list again and listened to them in my head. I think they are all songs that have stood, or in the case of WITW will stand the test of time. All excellent songs with brilliant lyrics. Sooo hard to decide!

However I think in this round, for the reason that maybe it just hasn't had quite as much time to be an alltime classic, I'll cast my vote for 'Waiting In The Weeds'

UK TimFan
09-09-2011, 06:21 PM
My vote is for 'Heartache tonight'.

09-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Well, this first round has certainly been a nail-biter. I thought I was going to have to force a tie. I guess “standing the test of time” means different things to some of us. What I think of when I say I don’t think that WITW will stand the test of time is that it will not become a classic song that is etched in the psyche of the general population as these other songs are. I do agree that those of us that love the song now will still love it in 20 or 30 years if we’re around.

Now, perhaps if How Long would have won the LROOE survivor game, my choice and reasoning would be different, because that does have more of the classic Eagles sound (and actually IS an OLD classic).

ITA with you here, BBKron. That is precisely the way I feel about How Long. I may be misremembering, but the LROOE games were so close that if you had been playing, then How Long would have been the winner.

In spite of all my arguments to eliminate WITW, I do love this gorgeous song and it pains me to vote for it. But that is probably going to be the case throughout this entire game for me. So with deep regret …

I cast my vote for Waiting In the Weeds.

09-09-2011, 08:24 PM
The first song to be eliminated from Eagles All-Star Survivor is Waiting In the Weeds. “Waiting In the Weeds”, I don't know when you realized the dream was over, but you will have to be keeping to yourself for a while longer. You must please leave the island immediately.

Votes
Waiting In the Weeds – 9
Seven Bridges Road – 8
The Best of My Love – 2
Hotel California – 1
Heartache Tonight – 1

Vote Breakdown
Waiting In the Weeds – WildThyme
Waiting In the Weeds – WalshFan88
Waiting In the Weeds – EagleLady
Waiting In the Weeds – EaglesFanatic
Waiting In the Weeds – Koala
Waiting In the Weeds – Brooke
Waiting In the Weeds – BBKron
Waiting In the Weeds – Glennsallnighter
Waiting In the Weeds – Ive always been a dreamer
Seven Bridges Road – sodascouts
Seven Bridges Road – Windeagle
Seven Bridges Road – Henley Honey
Seven Bridges Road – Annabel
Seven Bridges Road – luvthelighthouse
Seven Bridges Road – GlennLover
Seven Bridges Road – EaglesKiwi
Seven Bridges Road – whitcap
The Best of My Love – Freypower
The Best of My Love – timfan
Hotel California – TimothyBFan
Heartache Tonight – UK Timfan

Songs eliminated:
Waiting In the Weeds 9/9

Songs remaining:
Take It Easy
Tequila Sunrise
The Best of My Love
Take It To the Limit
Hotel California
Heartache Tonight
Seven Bridges Road

Voting for Round 2 begins now.

WalshFan88
09-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Wow - tough vote here but I vote for:

Tequila Sunrise

Fact of the matter is that I like SBR more than TS. I love the harmonies on SBR as well as the lyrics. I've never been a big fan of TS. Sorry! :hilarious:

Freypower
09-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Best Of My Love

Windeagle
09-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Still gotta go with Seven Bridges Road. This and WITW were the only two on the original list that I deemed expendable. Both are great songs and I do love them, but there's a gap between the two of them and everything else on the list, IMO. If 7BR goes this round, the rest of the rounds are going to be incredibly difficult for me.

Koala
09-10-2011, 12:37 AM
Seven Bridges Road

EaglesFanatic
09-10-2011, 12:49 AM
My vote goes for Heartache Tonight

EaglesKiwi
09-10-2011, 03:02 AM
I vote for Seven Bridges Road. For the same reasons I gave in the first round! :hilarious:

timfan
09-10-2011, 07:49 AM
I vote for Seven Bridges Road

Henley Honey
09-10-2011, 09:29 AM
My vote remains the same -- Seven Bridges Road

EagleLady
09-10-2011, 10:16 AM
I Vote for Seven Bridges Road

Wildthyme
09-10-2011, 03:01 PM
My vote this round is for Seven Bridges Road to be eliminated.

sodascouts
09-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Looks like Seven Bridges is getting dismantled!

sodascouts
09-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Since it looks like SBR is going down...

I cast my vote for Hotel California.

Don't kill me guys, please! It's just that this song, although certainly well-crafted, isn't as enjoyable to me as the other songs on the list. It's cool and all but it goes on a bit too long and while I know most people consider it to be the definitive Eagles song, it's never been my favorite.

Brooke
09-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Since 7BR will probably be going down anyway,

I cast my vote for Take It To The Limit.

I know, I know. But I have to vote for something! :fear:

TimothyBFan
09-11-2011, 02:46 PM
I've got your back Soda!!!

Glennsallnighter
09-11-2011, 03:38 PM
I vote off 'Best Of My Love' this round.

BBKron
09-11-2011, 05:24 PM
This is another easy choice for me. I definitively cast my vote for Heartache Tonight, which is certainly the weakest song in this contest, based on song writing and overall quality. It's really pretty simplistic musically. Sure, it's alot of fun the way the Eagles play it, and a rousing song live, but it's not really that great a song technically, especially compared to most of the others here, so I just don't think it can stand with the rest of the classics on this list.

Seven Bridges Road is a much stronger song musically, with the the vocal harmonies and all, although it was not as big a hit or as well-known.
C'mon, how about some more votes for Heartache?

AzEaglesFan
09-11-2011, 05:48 PM
I just can't seem to get the desire to vote any of them off. But I decided that I would vote for Heartache Tonight because Seven Bridges to one of my favorites. But then that is the problem all of the songs listed are the best of their works and all my favorites. :brickwall:

whitcap
09-11-2011, 06:24 PM
I vote for Hotel California

Freypower
09-11-2011, 06:32 PM
This is another easy choice for me. I definitively cast my vote for Heartache Tonight, which is certainly the weakest song in this contest, based on song writing and overall quality. It's really pretty simplistic musically. Sure, it's alot of fun the way the Eagles play it, and a rousing song live, but it's not really that great a song technically, especially compared to most of the others here, so I just don't think it can stand with the rest of the classics on this list.

Seven Bridges Road is a much stronger song musically, with the the vocal harmonies and all, although it was not as big a hit or as well-known.
C'mon, how about some more votes for Heartache?

It doesn't bother me whether Heartache Tonight is 'technically' a great song. Emotionally it is a great song. I'm sorry, but it is in my Top 5 Eagles songs. It rocks. It also won a Grammy for Best Rock Vocal (which it thoroughly deserved). How is it inferior technically to Best Of My Love which basically consists of acoustic guitar strumming with a close harmony chorus? The lyrics of BOML might be more 'serious' but that doesn't make it a better song. Rant over.

UK TimFan
09-11-2011, 06:35 PM
I vote for Heartache Tonight.

09-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Well, BBKron, as much as I agreed with your comments about How Long in the last round, I’m afraid I’ll have to totally disagree with you regarding Heartache Tonight. As far as I’m concerned this is one fantastic song. I’m not a musical expert, but I can tell you the song ROCKS musically. I don’t know about how simplistic the music is in the song, but I do believe that sometimes simple can be better. This is some of the catchiest and most contagious music the band ever wrote, and Joe’s slide guitar is awesome. To my ears, it is one of the best songs the band ever recorded and I personally can't find any weaknesses with it. I’m not saying the song should win the game, but nor do I think it is even close to being the weakest song in this contest. It is one of my personal favorites and I know many other people absolutely love and connect with this song too.

And so that brings me to my next vote. I was prepared to vote for Seven Bridges Road if necessary because even though I love it, it seems like most folks wanted it to go. But, since it is apparently going without my vote, I am going to vote for the song that I consider to be the weakest musically of all those remaining. And trust me, I’m not saying this song is weak, it’s just that the music in the song doesn’t grab me like the other songs here. So, again, with regret …

I cast my vote for The Best of My Love.

GlennLover
09-11-2011, 07:59 PM
I vote Hotel california

GlennLover
09-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Please don't shoot me! 7BR didn't need my vote. I want my absolute favorite song to win. Of the other songs I was having a very very difficult time to decide which song to vote off this round so my vote for HC is purely strategic.

09-11-2011, 08:23 PM
The next song to be eliminated from Eagles All-Star Survivor is Seven Bridges Road. “Seven Bridges Road”, the tribe has spoken and all of you has to turn from here and go. So please start crossing those bridges leave the island immediately.

Votes
Seven Bridges Road – 7
Heartache Tonight – 4
Hotel California – 4
The Best of My Love – 3
Tequila Sunrise – 1
Take It To the Limit – 1

Vote Breakdown
Seven Bridges Road – Windeagle
Seven Bridges Road – Koala
Seven Bridges Road – EaglesKiwi
Seven Bridges Road – timfan
Seven Bridges Road – Henley Honey
Seven Bridges Road – EagleLady
Seven Bridges Road – WildThyme
Heartache Tonight – EaglesFanatic
Heartache Tonight – BBKron
Heartache Tonight – AzEaglesFan
Heartache Tonight – UK Timfan
Hotel California – sodascouts
Hotel California – whitcap
Hotel California – GlennLover
The Best of My Love – Glennsallnighter
The Best of My Love – Ive always been a dreamer
Tequila Sunrise – WalshFan88
Take It To the Limit – Brooke

Songs eliminated:
Waiting In the Weeds 9/9
Seven Bridges Road 9/11

Songs remaining:
Take It Easy
Tequila Sunrise
The Best of My Love
Take It To the Limit
Hotel California
Heartache Tonight

Voting for Round 3 begins now.

WalshFan88
09-11-2011, 08:37 PM
I hate to do this but I have to save my precious Hotel California. :heart: It's the be all end all Eagles song and record for me. Their earlier country stuff just doesn't appeal to me. Hotel California and The Long Run is where it's at for me as well as some of the rockier stuff on On The Border (Already Gone, James Dean, etc). I like the song I'm voting for, but not near as much as Hotel California. It boggles my mind that an Eagles fan could not absolutely love Hotel California. It makes me wonder how many people would be willing to go to an Eagles concert if HC wasn't going to be played. I certainly wouldn't. There are two songs they HAVE to play and HC is the main one. The other one is a song I'm sure many would laugh at but it's a classic to me. You know which one it is. ;)

Heartache Tonight

timfan
09-11-2011, 08:54 PM
No question for me on this one.. I vote for Best of My Love

GlennLover
09-11-2011, 08:54 PM
I do absolutely love HC! Problem is that I love all the other songs too! I made a playlist on my iPod of all the songs in the game. I've played it twice already. Hearing the songs in this order makes it even more obvious to me of the greatness of each one of them. What an awesome collection! But one has a special meaning to me (besides the fact that I love it) so I want it to win. I'm probably have to go back to flipping coins to decide the order in which I'll vote the others off. I don't want any of them to go! :-(

Freypower
09-11-2011, 09:17 PM
I hate to do this but I have to save my precious Hotel California. :heart: It's the be all end all Eagles song and record for me. Their earlier country stuff just doesn't appeal to me. Hotel California and The Long Run is where it's at for me as well as some of the rockier stuff on On The Border (Already Gone, James Dean, etc). I like the song I'm voting for, but not near as much as Hotel California. It boggles my mind that an Eagles fan could not absolutely love Hotel California. It makes me wonder how many people would be willing to go to an Eagles concert if HC wasn't going to be played. I certainly wouldn't. There are two songs they HAVE to play and HC is the main one. The other one is a song I'm sure many would laugh at but it's a classic to me. You know which one it is. ;)

Heartache Tonight

I assume the other song they HAVE to play in your opinion is Life's Been Good. I'm sure you have said that before. With respect, that was originally a solo song. My choice for the other song they HAVE to play is Take It Easy.

And you don't have to 'hate' to vote for Heartache Tonight if it's the one you like the least out of the remaining songs. I admit to being surprised though; it's a rocker & I would have thought you would have liked it better than the ballads, especially because Joe plays that great slide guitar on it.

Anyway my least favourite of these songs is Best Of My Love, which even when I finally saw it live still didn't do a lot for me, and I vote for it again.

WalshFan88
09-11-2011, 09:24 PM
I assume the other song they HAVE to play in your opinion is Life's Been Good. I'm sure you have said that before. With respect, that was originally a solo song. My choice for the other song they HAVE to play is Take It Easy.

And you don't have to 'hate' to vote for Heartache Tonight if it's the one you like the least out of the remaining songs. I admit to being surprised though; it's a rocker & I would have thought you would have liked it better than the ballads, especially because Joe plays that great slide guitar on it.

Anyway my least favourite of these songs is Best Of My Love, which even when I finally saw it live still didn't do a lot for me, and I vote for it again.

It is indeed Life's Been Good. I'm sure I've also stated before that I love and prefer how the Eagles do it with twin guitar leads between Joe and Felder (now Joe and Stu) and the background vocals of Glenn and the rest. My favorite version of the song to date is the version on the CD "Eagles Live". Guitar tone is to die for and I'm a sucker for twin harmony lead guitar solos (which is why I love the Hotel California solo) Nothing against the original solo track though. I just love the 3 guitars all at the same time and the twin guitar solos and the solo harmonies. I have always loved when two guitars were playing harmony solos. Just like in another Eagles tune, "Already Gone", where Felder and Frey duke it out. I like that competition type of thing. It's fun to play those live.

I don't hate Heartache Tonight. I actually really like it. I just had to vote strategically in hopes of saving HC. It was decision I made based on how many votes there were for HT last time and how many votes there were for HC.

This is NOT my list but here is how I'd rank the songs we started out with as far as favorite to least favorite:

Hotel California
Take It Easy
Heartache Tonight
The Best Of My Love
Take It To The Limit
Seven Bridges Road
Tequila Sunrise
Waiting In The Weeds

09-11-2011, 09:46 PM
I don't think there is any need to have to vote for Heartache Tonight in order to save Hotel California at this point in the game. I doubt that either of these songs would get enough votes to eliminate them unless they are specifically targeted or too many people vote strategically even though they don't really intend to eliminate a song. That's where you have to be careful with strategic voting - a song could be eliminated before it has to be, especially when the vote is split between so many songs. In the last round, it only took 7 votes to eliminate Seven Bridges Road.

I’m guessing that the next two songs that would probably be eliminated in the game are Tequila Sunrise and The Best of My Love. Based on the votes in the previous rounds, it seems like The Best of My Love has a better chance of being eliminated than Tequila Sunrise. So – if you want to save Heartache Tonight or Hotel California, it would probably be best to vote for whichever song has the most votes between Tequila Sunrise or The Best of My Love.

sodascouts
09-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Not The Best of My Love! When was not really familiar with the Eagles' work as a kid, I occasionally heard this song on the radio (not knowing who did it) and really loved it. Years later, I was like "Wow - the Eagles did this song?" It's magnificent!

Beautiful harmonies, tender vocals, lovely melody... what a terrific song.

I think Tequila Sunrise is inferior to Best of My Love. JMHO.

WalshFan88
09-11-2011, 09:58 PM
In the last round, it only took 7 votes to eliminate Seven Bridges Road.

That's right. Hotel had 4 votes. Three more and it would have probably been right up there for elimination. That's too close for comfort for me. That's 4 votes too many.

A guys gotta do what a guys gotta do to save his favorite and IMO best song. ;)

WalshFan88
09-11-2011, 09:59 PM
I think Tequila Sunrise is inferior to Best of My Love. JMHO.

Agreed. I love TBOML. Great, great song. I've never liked TS.

Freypower
09-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Agreed. I love TBOML. Great, great song. I've never liked TS.

You've never liked TS??? At ALL?

Such heresy.

One of the starkest, most personal songs the band ever wrote. This song, remember, was one of the FIRST TWO songs that Don & Glenn wrote together (although it's the other song that gets all the publicity and it's the other song the band insist on closing their shows with). It may be short, but it's a very moving portrait of a man at a crossroads in his life. It speaks volumes to me, like a Shakespeare soliloquy.

And it was rather nice seeing it sung again last month for the first time since 2004. It is very special to me at any rate.

As for BOML I think the lyrics are great, but I'm afraid I find the melody somewhat monotonous and it takes too long to end with the chorus just being repeated. I just don't like it as much as the other songs here.

WalshFan88
09-11-2011, 10:17 PM
You've never liked TS??? At ALL?

Such heresy.

One of the starkest, most personal songs the band ever wrote. This song, remember, was one of the FIRST TWO songs that Don & Glenn wrote together (although it's the other song that gets all the publicity and it's the other song the band insist on closing their shows with). It may be short, but it's a very moving portrait of a man at a crossroads in his life. It speaks volumes to me, like a Shakespeare soliloquy.

And it was rather nice seeing it sung again last month for the first time since 2004. It is very special to me at any rate.

As for BOML I think the lyrics are great, but I'm afraid I find the melody somewhat monotonous and it takes too long to end with the chorus just being repeated. I just don't like it as much as the other songs here.

I never liked the entire Desperado album. Too western-y for me. I've come to sort of like Desperado itself but the rest of the album - not so much. :hilarious:

sodascouts
09-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Best of My Love stirs my heart a bit more than Tequila Sunrise does. Something about the poignant combination of pain, regret, and love in Don's voice... I adore both, but I'm more moved by BOML.

Prettymaid
09-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Fun game. Can I play?

I vote for Tequila Sunrise.

WalshFan88
09-11-2011, 10:25 PM
I think BOML is a great tune. I love the harmonies and the chorus and singing along and all of that.

TS and the whole Desperado album seem like "downers" to me. They are kind of down and gloomy. I like the title track Desperado somewhat as I feel a connection to the song's lyrics but I don't listen to it much because it makes me feel depressed and I certainly don't need any help in that area. Some people say Hotel California is a dark song and to that I agree - but it's not sad or gloomy. It's more spooky and mysterious. I personally find the song moving and inspirational.

sodascouts
09-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Ah, PM! I wondered if you'd join in! :)

BTW, I'm totally stealing GL's idea of making an "All-Stars" playlist on my iPod!

VAisForEagleLovers
09-11-2011, 10:30 PM
I loved BOML when I was 14. I had the biggest crush on Don Henley for a long time due to that song. Then, I got older and New Kid In Town was released and I had a new focus (that hasn't changed in all these years). At that age, TS made no sense to me. It does now. For me, they're both what a song is all about. Real life. So if I were allowed to vote, I'd vote for HC. Other than the line 'you can check out any time you want but you can never leave', it's not a song about my life. And since that line reminds me of every lousy job I've ever had and been unable to get away from fast enough...like my current job... You get the idea.

Freypower
09-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Best of My Love stirs my heart a bit more than Tequila Sunrise does. Something about the poignant combination of pain, regret, and love in Don's voice... I adore both, but I'm more moved by BOML.

And do you not hear that exact combination of pain & regret in Glenn's voice in TS? (Love, not so much, true). It's interesting how we see these things differently. Some may consider TS to be more bleak but honestly, that is why I prefer it.

09-12-2011, 12:05 AM
I also enjoy Tequila Sunrise a bit more than BOML mainly because the music in BOML doesn't grab me like the music in TS does as I said earlier. Both are beautiful songs, and I love the vocals in both, but I have to give a slight edge to Tequila Sunrise lyrically and musically. I'm going to wait to vote though.

sodascouts
09-12-2011, 01:16 AM
And do you not hear that exact combination of pain & regret in Glenn's voice in TS? (Love, not so much, true).

Exactly. TS has the pain and regret, but BOML has that extra ingredient of love that gives the song an added power, for me anyway.

EaglesKiwi
09-12-2011, 04:39 AM

BBKron, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm looking forward to reading your posts when it comes to your favourite song(s) on the list (even if they're not your favourite Eagles songs overall).

As I'm not a "musical" person, I appreciate songs for reasons other than technical merit. For me a great song needs to be enjoyable to listen to, have good lyrics, and emotional impact. Bonus points if I can relate to it or if it makes me think.

Heartache Tonight may not be technically brilliant, but it is very definitely enjoyable to listen to and in my opinion that makes it a great song. It's one that I'd be dancing to in concert, turning up extra loud on the radio and singing along too (very off key) driving down the road.

TimothyBFan
09-12-2011, 07:12 AM
I want to note that 1/2 of my top 4 songs from my list are now gone and it is very possible that a 3rd one will be gone after this round also. :hilarious: I must be a "different" kind of Eagles fan or something. At least I know there is one that will, very possibly, make it all the way.

I think each of the remaining songs can have valid arguments on why they should not be voted off just yet but the fact is, something has to go. So still voting from the heart here. Again, sorry, but it just really doesn't do much for me any more. I'm over it.

I vote for Hotel California...... AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UK TimFan
09-12-2011, 07:55 AM
I want to note that 1/2 of my top 4 songs from my list are now gone I must be a "different" kind of Eagles fan or something.
You and me both, TBF. :)
But, of course, very few people can hope to have even a tenth of our highly refined musical
tastes. :grin: (Though the fact that the other people do like the Eagles is something in their
favour! :hilarious: )

luvthelighthouse
09-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Dang, missed last round, but I would have voted for 7BR anyway. This round is a toss up for me between TS and HT. I Love Love Love Tequila Sunrise, but when put up against the others, I believe it to be the weakest of the remaining songs.

Last week I made a playlist of all the songs on the list. Each one, I was like, "yeah, this is a GOOD song". I even made myself listen to HC all the way through a few times. Each song evoke different thoughts and feelings. Some I didn't think would be so high on my list, moved up and bit ... thus putting TS down lower.

As for Heartache Tonight, I dunno... it's great, but I've never had a connection with it. Sure, it's fun to dance and sing along with... but I don't think I find myself listening to HT over TS... :brickwall:

As for Best of My Love...

Beautiful faces and loud, empty places
Look at the way that we live
Wastin’ our time on cheap talk and wine
Left us so little to give
That same old crowd
Was like a cold dark cloud
That we could never rise above
But here in my heart I give you the best of my love
Oh sweet darlin’ you get the best of my love, oh
Sweet darlin’, you get the best of my love

That verse just gets to me. It's meanigful to anyone stuck in a relationship and not sure if you should go on or break up. It's soulful and dear I even say a bit sexy the way it's sung.

BBKron
09-12-2011, 10:17 AM
OK, first of all, didn't mean to offend anyone with my comments about Heartache Tonight. I very much enjoy the song. It's a very good, fun, crowd-pleasing song. But to me, it is the weakest of this group of powerhouse Eagles classics. All the songs in this All-Star contest are classics. It's just that, to me, this is the one song that doesn't quite belong in this elite company.

Very good, but not what I would consider among the Eagles Ten Best songs, all-time, and in this particular contest, if it is not in that top-ten, it cannot survive.

Now, I'm not surprised several others have mentioned Best of My Love as a candidate to go. I know that one doesn't have as much appeal to everyone. But I am quite surprised that others are suggesting Hotel California and Tequila Sunrise should go at this point of the game. I find that somewhat shocking, as I expected both these to be contenders for the title much deeper into the game.

Not surprisingly, I vote once again for Heartache Tonight to be eliminated.

sodascouts
09-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Nobody appears offended to me, BBKron. On this board, people can disagree without getting their panties in a wad. I hope you take disagreement in the same spirit and don't feel I am "attacking" Tequila Sunrise.

However, considering that Tequila Sunrise didn't even break Billboard's Top 50, I personally don't find it shocking at all that it might not be a contender for endgame. Most of these songs were big hits. While chart position is not necessarily an indicator of quality, I imagine that Tequila Sunrise's lack of chart performance would allow one to anticipate that its departure might be earlier than the final round.

I love the song and voted for it to win its respective Survivor, but it's definitely a dark horse candidate here and it would be far more shocking to me if it did beat out all the big hits to make the final round.

We'll see, though - you never know. If enough people want it to go through, it will! That's what makes the games interesting. :)

Annabel
09-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Missed last round :brickwall: but here I am to vote for my least favourite and this time it is.........Take It To The Limit. Something has to go. :eyebrow:

BBKron
09-12-2011, 01:51 PM
I imagine that Tequila Sunrise's lack of chart performance would allow one to anticipate that its departure might be earlier than the final round.

I love the song and voted for it to win its respective Survivor, but it's definitely a dark horse candidate here and it would be far more shocking to me if it did beat out all the big hits to make the final round. :)

Overall, I agree with you, soda, I don't expect TS to make it to the final round (I would not support that myself), but we're nowhere near the final round yet (and it does make me cringe anytime someone uses chart success as a measure of how "good" a song is). I just meant I was surprised that it was being considered for elimination at this stage when there are still 6 songs left (I would have expected it to make it to the 3rd or 4th best song rounds), especially considering how so many supported Tequila Sunrise over Desperado to win the Desperado album challenge. And Desperado is most surely one of the very best Eagles songs (and probably the one that seems most glaringly missing from this All-Star challenge). Desperado, as everyone knows, was never a hit single, or even played on the radio at all when it came out, but has gone on to become one of their most famous and loved songs

Of course, whatever happens with the voting, happens, and it is all fine, and most interesting to see how it turns out.

09-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Well - I believe it is going to be very difficult to form any kind of coalition here, but I'm going to try anyway because of the way the votes are being split up. If the votes continue to be split thiis way, we could end up with a 3-way tie among songs that only get 4 or 5 votes. So if you want to save Hotel California, Heartache Tonight, or even Tequila Sunrise, I urge you to vote for The Best of My Love. I know it may be hard for some of you who really love the song, but realistically it will probably be eliminated within the next round or two anyway.

So once again, although I hate making such an awesome song the sacrificial lamb, I urge everyone to join this coalition to protect Hotel California and Heartache Tonight ...

Vote for The Best of My Love!!!

I am going to continue to withhold my vote to see how this round plays out.

luvthelighthouse
09-12-2011, 03:06 PM
So once again, although I hate making such an awesome song the sacrificial lamb, I urge everyone to join this coalition to protect Hotel California and Heartache Tonight ...

Currently, Hotel California only has one vote, I do not thik it is in danger this round. Even me, I well known non-fan of the song probably won't vote for it yet. So I have to say, NO!!! :fingerwag: Not Best of my Love! It's too poetic to let go just yet!

I'm withholding my vote for now too... but if some kind of collition must be formed, let it be formed in the name of Tequila Sunrise to be voted off! I am willing to let go of a much loved favorite of mine, for the greater good. I know there are many who would love to keep HT around, because it's a rocker, but me... not so much... Love the hand clapping, but the lyrics don't do much for me.

If you want to save The Best Of My Love:
Vote for Tequila Sunrise!!!

whitcap
09-12-2011, 04:21 PM

BBKron
09-12-2011, 04:24 PM
I Love Love Love Tequila Sunrise, but when put up against the others, I believe it to be the weakest of the remaining songs.

As for Heartache Tonight, I dunno... it's great, but I've never had a connection with it. Sure, it's fun to dance and sing along with... but I don't think I find myself listening to HT over TS...

Hey LTL, what's up? You indicated that you prefer TS over HT, yet now you are advocating a "coalition" for eliminating TS instead of HT? That's just not right. How is voting off TS "for the greater good"? I agree with you that TBOML should not go yet. But, it seems to me the fight is mainly between TS and HT here. If you prefer TS, you should vote off HT, not TS (as should all others who feel the same way). I think some get too caught up in complicated 'strategy', instead of just voting in line with the order of your favorite songs, and just see how it plays out.

Brooke
09-12-2011, 04:25 PM
I can't help but laugh! Pleas for people to vote for TS and BOML and the very next vote is for something else! :hilarious:

That's what always happens to me when I try to start a coalition! :rolleyes:

luvthelighthouse
09-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Hey LTL, what's up? You indicated that you prefer TS over HT, yet now you are advocating a "coalition" for eliminating TS instead of HT? That's just not right. How is voting off TS "for the greater good"? I agree with you that TBOML should not go yet. But, it seems to me the fight is mainly between TS and HT here. If you prefer TS, you should vote off HT, not TS (as should all others who feel the same way). I think some get too caught up in complicated 'strategy', instead of just voting in line with the order of your favorite songs, and just see how it plays out.

I know that there are way too many people who love Heartache Tonight, it's not even worth trying to form a collition against it. If a song had to go, I would prefer TS over BOML. That was my thinking.

Yes, we've often debated strategy vs. going from the heart... there really is no right answer. All I know was that there was a plea to vote of BOML, so I reacted in a fashion I thought could possibly work.

Brooke, yes, I too thought that was funny!

sodascouts
09-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Well, since I don't want HT to go....

Save Best of My Love! Vote Tequila Sunrise!

And to put my money where my mouth is...

I cast my vote for Tequila Sunrise.

sodascouts
09-12-2011, 05:40 PM
BTW, for the curious, here's how things now stand (correct me if I'm wrong; I did this quickly):

Best of My Love - 2
Tequila Sunrise - 2
Heartache Tonight - 2
Hotel California - 2
Take It to the Limit - 1

Pretty wild!

09-12-2011, 06:12 PM
And that is exactly why I was trying to form a coalition. Since I really believe that The Best of My Love and Tequila Sunrise will be the next two songs to go, I called for the coalition for BOML since it had the most previous votes. What difference does it really make if it goes this round or next one? By splitting the vote between BOML and TS, you may not end up saving the song you wanted to.

This is a wild one, indeed! I guess it's a tribute to how much people love these songs.

UK TimFan
09-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Well, since I don't want HT to go....

Save Best of My Love! Vote Tequila Sunrise!

And to put my money where my mouth is...

Thank you, Soda, for not expecting anyone to do what you're not willing to do in the first place. :)

Dreamer, you really can't expect people to form a coalition (post #99 ) but then say

I am going to continue to withhold my vote to see how this round plays out.

BBKron
09-12-2011, 06:18 PM
I know that there are way too many people who love Heartache Tonight, it's not even worth trying to form a coalition against it. If a song had to go, I would prefer TS over BOML. That was my thinking.

I don't think there needs to be any "coalition". If people just vote the way they feel, Heartache Tonight has a very good chance of getting voted off. The way the votes are split now, it will probably only take about 5 votes for any one song for it to go. HT got 4 votes last round, and could have more this round, but only if people don't fall for all this coalition nonsense.

I just would like the results to actually reflect how we as a group rank these songs, not what can be accomplished through wheeling and dealing. I realize that all this is part of the game, but it doesn't really have to be. I, personally, am much more interested in what the actual (heartfelt) rankings are from this group, and not so much in who can best "negotiate" their song to prominence.

I very much enjoy hearing what various people love (or in some cases, don't like) about the particular songs, and why, and what they mean to them, etc., and if someone's personal view can inspire someone else to better appreciate and support that song, great. But I am not at all impressed with any plea that 'if you want to save this song, you must vote for this song, even if it is also one of your favorites'. That is just counter-productive to the whole concept.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. If TS or BOML loses here, so be it, but I just would want it to only be because people really thought that those songs were not as good or strong as HT, or HC, or TITTL, or whatever, and not just that they voted for it in some misguided attempt to save some other song.

09-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Dreamer, you really can't expect people to form a coalition (post #99 ) but then say
"I am going to continue to withhold my vote to see how this round plays out."

Sure you can - it's done all the time!

If the coalition that I called for doesn't work (and it may very well not work in this case), then I may want to try to deploy a different strategy. Sorry, you may not like it, but it is certainly within the rules of the game. I can assure you that I've been helping to moderate this game from the time we first started it and I would never try to play outside of the rules. :)

I don't think there needs to be any "coalition". If people just vote the way they feel, Heartache Tonight has a very good chance of getting voted off.

Sorry BBKron - but that is exactly why people will form coalition is because they don't want a certain song to be voted off. The coalition only works if more people want to save the song than want to eliminate it, so it is just. Again - this is part of the game - and this is a game. I'm not saying this is the case here, but coalitions come in handy in this game in situations where one group of folks may be targeting a certain song for elimination that many people want to stay. In a case like that you have to fight strategy with strategy.

So let's please not criticize or judge people on the way they chose to play the game as long as they are playing by the rules. :thumbsup:

UK TimFan
09-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Sure you can - it's done all the time!

If the coalition that I called for doesn't work (and it may very well not work in this case), then I may want to try to deploy a different strategy. Sorry, you may not like it, but it is certainly within the rules of the game. I can assure you that I've been helping to moderate this game from the time we first started it and I would never try to play outside of the rules. :)
I didn't say it wasn't playing by the rules, so please don't try to imply that I did.

What I did say was that you can't expect people to follow your call for a coalition when you withhold your vote because

If the coalition that I called for doesn't work (and it may very well not work in this case), then I may want to try to deploy a different strategy.
Depending on how the voting goes other people might want to employ a different strategy - but if they've already followed your coalition call then basically they're stuffed and no doubt resentful of the fact that they've 'wasted' their vote.
If you call for a coalition then you have to have the courage to stand by that, like Soda did. Regardless of the outcome.

Freypower
09-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Nobody appears offended to me, BBKron. On this board, people can disagree without getting their panties in a wad. I hope you take disagreement in the same spirit and don't feel I am "attacking" Tequila Sunrise.

However, considering that Tequila Sunrise didn't even break Billboard's Top 50, I personally don't find it shocking at all that it might not be a contender for endgame. Most of these songs were big hits. While chart position is not necessarily an indicator of quality, I imagine that Tequila Sunrise's lack of chart performance would allow one to anticipate that its departure might be earlier than the final round.

I love the song and voted for it to win its respective Survivor, but it's definitely a dark horse candidate here and it would be far more shocking to me if it did beat out all the big hits to make the final round.

We'll see, though - you never know. If enough people want it to go through, it will! That's what makes the games interesting. :)

Once again we have this 'it wasn't a hit so it should not surprise if it's eliminated' line.

Sorry, Soda, but I judge songs purely on how good I think they are. I know very well that BOML was the band's first Number One hit single. I still believe that TS is a better song despite everything. Surely people aren't voting for TS because 'it wasn't a hit'; and yet the same argument was used against WITW in a way.

If TS is eliminated, which seems likely, I have no problem with that, but I wish to state that it won the Desperado Survivor game on its merits & it deserves to be here. It has been overshadowed by the title track of that album for too long (just as New Kid In Town is overshadowed by HC).

And regarding your earlier comment that you prefer BOML because it has the extra element of 'lost love' and you think that makes it more powerful; fair enough, but why does a song have to be about love or mention love for it to be more appealing? TS talks about a woman anyway, though less directly than BOML.

Henley Honey
09-12-2011, 06:48 PM
No long, drawn-out reasoning . . . .
I love Tequilla Sunrise, so my vote goes to:
The Best of My Love.

09-12-2011, 07:00 PM
I didn't say it wasn't playing by the rules, so please don't try to imply that I did.

What I did say was that you can't expect people to follow your call for a coalition when you withhold your vote because
Depending on how the voting goes other people might want to employ a different strategy - but if they've already followed your coalition call then basically they're stuffed and no doubt resentful of the fact that they've 'wasted' their vote.
If you call for a coalition then you have to have the courage to stand by that, like Soda did. Regardless of the outcome.

Look - I appreciate that you may not like it, but when anyone calls for a coalition, people have a choice whether to follow along or not. No one is tell them how they have to vote. I can assure you that I will vote for The Best of My Love if the coalition works and my vote will make a difference in eliminating it. Sorry - but it's part of the game and has been since we started playing it on this board. So with all due respect, I am going to continue to play the game the way I want to play. As I said before, I can promise everyone that I will always abide by the rules and be totally forthcoming with every strategy I use. :thumbsup:

luvthelighthouse
09-12-2011, 11:29 PM
What difference does it really make if it goes this round or next one?

I guess because I hold out hope that next round may be different than what people expect. :)

Once certain songs are eliminated, I focus differently on the remaining songs. Especially if one of my favorite songs has left the island, I am forced to rethink how I want to rank the remaing ones.

All I know is, I think it's pretty interesting how evenly divided this round has been so far!

Koala
09-13-2011, 12:33 AM
WOW,this is so hard! My vote goes to Tequila Sunrise!

It is very interesting to read your discussions about the songs!

sodascouts
09-13-2011, 01:32 AM
I love how I'm being told that the way I vote is "not right" when I'm the one who originated the Eagles Survivor games!

So, since I conceptualized and wrote the rules, I'd like to clear some things up.

For the purposes of this and any other Survivor game played on The Border:

Voting to eliminate a song based on your own individual criteria, be it strategic or sentimental, is right.
Condemning the methods of other voters is not right.
Arguing for/against a song is right.
Making it personal is not right.

sodascouts
09-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Once again we have this 'it wasn't a hit so it should not surprise if it's eliminated' line.
That's just stating reality, FP.

Sorry, Soda, but I judge songs purely on how good I think they are. I know very well that BOML was the band's first Number One hit single. I still believe that TS is a better song despite everything. Surely people aren't voting for TS because 'it wasn't a hit'; and yet the same argument was used against WITW in a way.I was not trying to argue that you shouldn't vote for TS because it wasn't a hit. I was arguing that the fact that TS wasn't a hit makes it less likely to win. One is a statement of judgment (which I did not make) the other is a statement of probability (which I did make). Do you understand the difference between those two statements or am I still being unclear?

Regardless, I don't expect you to apologize for the way you vote. You can vote however you like.

If TS is eliminated, which seems likely, I have no problem with that, but I wish to state that it won the Desperado Survivor game on its merits & it deserves to be here.I agree. I voted for it to win that Survivor, remember. :)

And regarding your earlier comment that you prefer BOML because it has the extra element of 'lost love' and you think that makes it more powerful; fair enough, but why does a song have to be about love or mention love for it to be more appealing? TS talks about a woman anyway, though less directly than BOML.It doesn't HAVE to be about love to be more appealing. However, in this particular case - in my personal opinion - that extra layer gives BOML the edge. My judgment is completely subjective and if you don't agree, I certainly understand. Both are excellent songs.

sodascouts
09-13-2011, 10:52 AM
What difference does it really make if it goes this round or next one?

I guess because I hold out hope that next round may be different than what people expect. :smile:

Exactly, LTL. I don't base my decisions on what I speculate will go the next round; I base my decisions on the here and now. There have been many Survivors where a song has come close to elimination several rounds but made it through much longer than anyone expected. "In Roxy's Eyes" comes to mind. I hope it's the case for "Best of My Love" as well!

Glennsallnighter
09-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Well I'm reading all these analyses and comments with interest. I must say, I tend to TRY simply to vote off the song I like least in the lineup presented, although sometimes this is very difficult to do as they are all so close! Occasionally I support a coalition, if it suits me to save or eliminate one of what is on offer. For this round it's pretty clear for me. Out of the lineup that's left, the song I would vote for IS one that looks like it's on the way out. (Lou will eat me) regardless of what it is pitted against. I happen to love Tequila Sunrise, and even more so after seeing it being performed live last month.

This round I vote to eliminate 'Best Of My Love'

sodascouts
09-13-2011, 12:35 PM
So now, unless I'm mistaken, it's...

Best of My Love - 4
Tequila Sunrise - 3
Heartache Tonight - 2
Hotel California - 2
Take It to the Limit - 1

Every vote counts!

Glennsallnighter
09-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Yes! Indeed it does Soda!

luvthelighthouse
09-13-2011, 12:49 PM
I no longer feel the need to wait.

I love you Tequila Sunrise. You are among the best of the best... but ....

TimothyBFan
09-13-2011, 12:57 PM
WOW---what a round of Survivor this one's turning out to be!! How fun!!!:thumbsup:

Brooke
09-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Yes, this game is tougher than tough! I love all these songs, and it's hard to even pick one that should go next.

I love Tequila Sunrise. It's one of my very favorites. Glenn's voice is just so smooth and sweet on it. It makes me melt! No way can I vote it off yet.

I cast my vote for Take It To The Limit again. Randy sounds wonderful on it, I just happen to like Glenn's and Don's vocals more.

And something else about TITTL, to me it would be a very hard song to sing because it goes so high, but Glenn keeps it in the set list and it seems to be a real stretch for him to sing it. :headscratch:

Troubadour
09-13-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm sorry I missed the last round.

I have always voted with my heart so, in this case, I will vote for Heartache Tonight. A fabulous song, but simply my least favourite of the remaining tracks. I prefer Take It Easy and HC as rockers/more upbeat songs, and the ballads all move me; I can't vote for them yet.

Going back a couple of pages, I want to just back-up what Willie said about WITW. I think it is one of the most beautiful, understated songs that the Eagles have ever made. The lyrics are gorgeous and I love the imagery. The idea of "following the plough" - getting back in touch with nature, going with the flow, accepting things, believing that there is a kind of thread through the universe that links all of us and keeps some kind of natural order - is comforting to me. I also like the depiction of resilience at the end with the image of the spider spinning the web no matter how many times it is pulled apart. The cyclical theme of the song appeals to me. I truly think it is a quiet masterpiece.

EaglesKiwi
09-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Strategies and coalitions tend to confuse me. :worried: Of the songs remaining, the one I really like but still like less than all the others is Tequila Sunrise, so I am casting my vote for it, very reluctantly.

Prettymaid
09-13-2011, 03:52 PM
WOW! I last voted on page 9 and it's still the same round?!!! Lots of discussion this round about how people should vote. Seems the last few Survivor games have gone the same way. Can be a bummer sometimes...

I wanted to state that the reason I voted for TS is that I'm not a big fan of the Spanish guitar playing in it and I find myself getting bored when I hear it. Don't shoot me! It's just the was I interpret the song.

GlennLover
09-13-2011, 04:14 PM
I wanted to state that the reason I voted for TS is that I'm not a big fan of the Spanish guitar playing in it and I find myself getting bored when I hear it. Don't shoot me! It's just the was I interpret the song.

LOL, PM. I certainly won't shoot you! :) The Spanish guitar is one of the things that make TC so appealing to me. That and Glenn's voice, the instrumental arrangement & the relative simplicity of the song. I particularly enjoy the parts where Don sings harmony with Glenn. As stated before, it's funny how different things appeal to different people. It would be a very boring world if everyone likes or dislikes the same things. :)

All that being said in favor of TS, I love the harmonies in BOML. They send chills down my spine. I still haven't decided how I will vote this round. :shrug:

Freypower
09-13-2011, 06:43 PM
That's just stating reality, FP.

I was not trying to argue that you shouldn't vote for TS because it wasn't a hit. I was arguing that the fact that TS wasn't a hit makes it less likely to win. One is a statement of judgment (which I did not make) the other is a statement of probability (which I did make). Do you understand the difference between those two statements or am I still being unclear?

I again have to take issue with your belief that if a song was not a hit that means it is more likely to be eliminated more quickly. Surely the overall quality of the songs is what matters & not their chart status. If it were down to chart status, you know very well that POMPOY could not have won Glenn's Solo Collection Survivor.

As for 'if it wasn't a hit that means it is less likely to win'; I again quote the example of POMPOY & I say that we are all passionate fans here. We all know & love every one of these songs on an equal basis, or so I would have thought. We vote for them on the basis of preference, or so I thought.

I would like to know if other people share Soda's view that TS is more likely to be eliminated because it was not a hit. Or indeed, whether they are voting for it to go because (or partly because) of this.

I don't want to keep arguing this point but I have to say that I don't understand it at all.

Windeagle
09-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Having just reviewed all the contenders in my head on the train home from Boston, my vote this round goes to Best Of My Love. This is not due to any call for a coalition (in fact, I made it a point to skip any post that mentioned the word). And I will say that it pained me deeply to vote for it. It's just that, of the seven, it's the song that grabs me the least.

GlennLover
09-13-2011, 07:34 PM
After much consideration I cast my vote for Best of My Love.

09-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Well – As I said earlier, I thought it would be hard to form coalitions in this game since the votes are so all over the place. I called to form a coalition for The Best of My Love because I wanted to save Hotel California and Heartache Tonight from early elimination. I figured the best chance of forming a coalition would be either BOML or Tequila Sunrise. It seemed to me at the time that BOML had a slightly better chance due to previous votes in the game. Honestly, as I said, I prefer Tequila Sunrise slightly, but only by a little bit. I have been prepared vote to eliminate either song to save HC and HT. So at this point, I am going with the song that has the most votes …

I cast my vote for The Best of My Love.

UK TimFan
09-13-2011, 07:58 PM
My vote is for Take it easy.

sodascouts
09-13-2011, 08:08 PM
The next song to be eliminated from Eagles All-Star Survivor is The Best of My Love. “The Best of My Love," we both see that win slipping away. The tribe has spoken. It's time for you to go. Please leave the island immediately.

Votes
The Best of My Love – 7
Tequila Sunrise – 5
Heartache Tonight – 3
Hotel California – 2
Take It To the Limit – 2
Take It Easy - 1

Vote Breakdown
The Best of My Love - timfan
The Best of My Love - Henley Honey
The Best of My Love – Glennsallnighter
The Best of My Love - Windeagle
The Best of My Love - GlennLover
The Best of My Love - Ive always been a dreamer
Tequila Sunrise - Prettymaid
Tequila Sunrise - sodascouts
Tequila Sunrise - Koala
Tequila Sunrise - luvthelighthouse
Tequila Sunrise - EaglesKiwi
Heartache Tonight - WalshFan88
Heartache Tonight - Troubadour
Take It to the Limit - Annabel
Take It to the Limit – Brooke
Take It Easy - UK TimFan

Songs eliminated:
Waiting In the Weeds 9/9
Seven Bridges Road 9/11
The Best of My Love 9/13

Songs remaining:
Take It Easy
Tequila Sunrise
Take It To the Limit
Hotel California
Heartache Tonight

Voting for Round 4 begins now.

sodascouts
09-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Well, that was an intense round! What to do now? Hmmm!

Wildthyme
09-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Well shucks I missed the vote but I would have only added to the tally for BOML so I guess it doesn't really matter that I can't keep track of my days lately :rofl:

09-13-2011, 09:51 PM
I guess because I hold out hope that next round may be different than what people expect. :)

Once certain songs are eliminated, I focus differently on the remaining songs. Especially if one of my favorite songs has left the island, I am forced to rethink how I want to rank the remaing ones.

All I know is, I think it's pretty interesting how evenly divided this round has been so far!

Exactly, LTL. I don't base my decisions on what I speculate will go the next round; I base my decisions on the here and now. There have been many Survivors where a song has come close to elimination several rounds but made it through much longer than anyone expected. "In Roxy's Eyes" comes to mind. I hope it's the case for "Best of My Love" as well!

I totally understand what you are both saying here, but I guess the difference is that I do look toward the future when I vote - it's part of my strategy for each game. As I said in my last post, considering that I believed that BOML or TS would not go much farther in the game, then I was willing to sacrifice both of them to save songs I love better. The order that they were eliminated didn't matter to me. But that's just the way I think about it. I know that there are times when a song last longer than you thought it would, but that is often because it gets protected by immunity or coalitions. Since we don't have immunity in this game and coalitions will probably be hard to come by, I think the songs are more likely to go in the order that the majority of voters playing the game really want them to. But who knows - we'll just have to wait and see about that, won't we. :wink: Anyway, this game has not let us down yet with regard to being interesting and intense. And we are just approaching the halfway mark, so I'm guessing there is more excitement to come. :partytime:

luvthelighthouse
09-13-2011, 10:38 PM
I did want to also mention, that while we may rightfully guess the order of elimination, I guess it matters to me which goes first. My thinking is, that is the whole point of the game, which goes first and in what order.

I'm sure some most are guessing HC and TIE will be the final two standing... but that may not be true. There are several here who do not rank HC high on their lists.

The group of people playing this game have such different views on the songs and its very exciting. Personally, for me, WITW is a top contender in my book... but the other players just wouldn't have it. :-(

I wonder how this round will play out. Last round I had to play two songs against each other, that I really didn't want to do... but I had to try and save BOML. Sadly, I voted for TS, where if I weren't trying to save BOML, I probably would have voted for Heartache Tonight.

Which leads me to this... Heartache Tonight is a fun song, but there's not much too it. It's not a lyrical masterpiece and I find it a bit repetitious.

Not sure how I'm voting yet, but it's on my hit list.

Prettymaid
09-13-2011, 11:03 PM
Well I know how I'm voting.

Once again, Tequila Sunrise to leave the island.

Freypower
09-13-2011, 11:32 PM
I stood back & took a deep breath & waited a while before I posted. I can honestly say I don't mind in which order the songs go now because they are all great.

However I have to vote for something else now BOML is gone and for me it is Take It To The Limit.

rcknalwys
09-14-2011, 12:24 AM
I've not posted in a few weeks but really wanted to be part of this Survivor game. I'm enjoying all the discussions about each other's viewpoints and find them very interesting. Troubador, your comments about WITW captures my thoughts eloquently. I was sad to see it go so quickly as I feel this song resonates with me on so many levels.

All the remaining songs are great and my all time favorite is still a contender so here's hoping it goes the distance!

I'm voting for Take It Easy (ducking for cover) to leave the island.

sodascouts
09-14-2011, 12:29 AM
Glad you could join in, Becky!

Koala
09-14-2011, 12:34 AM
I cast my vote to Tequila Sunrise again!

Annabel
09-14-2011, 03:52 AM
Sorry but I'm sticking with my vote from last time and voting for Take It To The Limit. Sad to see BOML go already too.

WalshFan88
09-14-2011, 04:02 AM
Tequila Sunrise be gone.

EaglesKiwi
09-14-2011, 04:17 AM
The group of people playing this game have such different views on the songs and its very exciting. Personally, for me, WITW is a top contender in my book... but the other players just wouldn't have it. :-(

I'd have it!! WITW was my #1 when I made my list, and my rhapsody is posted earlier in the thread. :inlove:

Hope we get to post our own rankings at the end of the game again. :)

I'm voting to eliminate Tequila Sunrise again this round.

Henley Honey
09-14-2011, 07:37 AM
I cast my vote for Heartache Tonight.
Its a fun, uptempo, rockin' tune that never fails to get the crowd on their feet, but it's got the least to offer musically & lyrically, IMO.

TimothyBFan
09-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Extremely glad to see that I'm not the only one that feels so passionately about WITW. But I guess there just weren't enough of us to keep it here. And yes, LTLH, that is the one that I also had at the top of my list, even above the song that I have loved as my favorite Eagles song for decades. It never ceases to amaze me and make me sad & happy at the same time, every time I hear it. In a different time, I truly believe WITW would have been a major hit for the band and a classic. Just speculation tho.

So the 3rd of my top 4 songs are gone now. I sure didn't pick 'em so well this time, did I? :hilarious: So I might as well stick with my list (I have a feeling this may be the only song I vote for allllll the way through the game).

EagleLady
09-14-2011, 08:24 AM
I vote for Tequila Sunrise

EaglesFanatic
09-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Heartache Tonight

BBKron
09-14-2011, 03:05 PM
So sad to see Best Of My Love leave so soon. I can't say that this is going as I had hoped, but then these things never do.

Well, I don't have to wait to see how others are going to vote, since my vote will be the same no matter what. From the beginning of this game, it seemed to me that there was one song that just wasn't quite in the same league as the rest of these classics. And now, some great songs have been eliminated, and that good song is somehow still standing among this field of great songs.

I have to vote how I feel, so for the third straight round, I have no choice but to vote to eliminate Heartache Tonight (hopefully for the last time, but I will continue to vote for it as long as it remains).

No offense, HT, but I think you've overstayed your welcome and time to go.

Windeagle
09-14-2011, 03:19 PM
As much as I love the song, it looks like it's time to vote for Heartache Tonight. Sorry, Glenn.

Troubadour
09-14-2011, 04:03 PM
I'm going to remain true to my last vote, and go for Heartache Tonight.

Brooke
09-14-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm enjoying all the discussion!

I vote for Take It To The Limit.

timfan
09-14-2011, 06:35 PM
I vote for Heartache Tonight

sodascouts
09-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Looks like Heartache Tonight and Tequila Sunrise are in danger - although a few more votes would put my beloved Take It to the Limit in danger as well! Out of those three, there's no question which one I'm going to vote for!

luvthelighthouse
09-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Gonna vote before I forget again!

I cast my vote for Heartache Tonight!

Glennsallnighter
09-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Well this is a tough round for me because there is NO way I would vote off either of these songs, and having seen them sung live only last month.......

That really leaves me TITTL or HC (I'm not even going there with TIE!) both are wonderful songs! I'm gonna go with my heart here and vote off 'Hotel California'. I know this round it's only really academic, but it may carry some clout later in the game!

GlennLover
09-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Well this is a tough round for me because there is NO way I would vote off either of these songs, and having seen them sung live only last month.......

That really leaves me TITTL or HC (I'm not even going there with TIE!) both are wonderful songs! I'm gonna go with my heart here and vote off 'Hotel California'. I know this round it's only really academic, but it may carry some clout later in the game!

I agree 99% with you GA. I am voting Hotel California as well. (running for shelter). :fear: Really though, how do you vote off any of these songs!

whitcap
09-15-2011, 07:51 PM

09-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Well I considered calling for a coalition to try to eliminate Tequila Sunrise and save Heartache Tonight, but I figured it would be futile. I would certainly have voted for Tequila Sunrise if my vote would have helped eliminate it. I really am shocked about this. I honestly never thought that Tequila Sunrise would outlast Heartache Tonight. Not that I don’t think it’s deserving because I do. Both are great songs, but Heartache Tonight is always such a crowd pleaser. As I’ve said many times before, I have a bias for uptempo rockin’ songs so that’s probably the main reason I prefer it. In any event, since it won’t do me any good to vote for Tequila Sunrise, I’m going to vote strategically…

I cast my vote for Take It To the Limit.

UK TimFan
09-15-2011, 07:58 PM
My vote is for Take it easy.

sodascouts
09-15-2011, 08:04 PM
The next song to be eliminated from Eagles All-Star Survivor is Heartache Tonight. “Heartache Tonight," I'm afraid you've come undone. The tribe has spoken. It's time for you to go. Please leave the island immediately.

Votes
Heartache Tonight – 7
Tequila Sunrise – 6
Hotel California – 4
Take It To the Limit – 4
Take It Easy - 2

Vote Breakdown
Heartache Tonight - Henley Honey
Heartache Tonight - EaglesFanatic
Heartache Tonight - Windeagle
Heartache Tonight - Troubadour
Heartache Tonight - timfan
Heartache Tonight - luvthelighthouse
Tequila Sunrise - Prettymaid
Tequila Sunrise - Koala
Tequila Sunrise - WalshFan88
Tequila Sunrise - EaglesKiwi
Tequila Sunrise - EagleLady
Tequila Sunrise - sodascouts
Hotel California - Glennsallnighter
Hotel California - GlennLover
Hotel California - whitcap
Take It to the Limit - Freypower
Take It to the Limit - Annabel
Take It to the Limit – Brooke
Take It to the Limit - Ive always been a dreamer
Take It Easy - rcknalwys
Take It Easy - UK TimFan

Songs eliminated:
Waiting In the Weeds 9/9
Seven Bridges Road 9/11
The Best of My Love 9/13
Heartache Tonight 9/15

Songs remaining:
Take It Easy
Tequila Sunrise
Take It To the Limit
Hotel California

Voting for Round 5 begins now.

Wildthyme
09-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Well I am annoyed with myself because I didn't have time to vote again and I am even more annoyed because my favorite song got voted off. Maybe I should just give up now since it seems so pointless to go on *SIGH* :hilarious:

Freypower
09-15-2011, 10:58 PM
That's a disappointing result for me but the tribe has spoken.

I vote for Take It To The Limit.

sodascouts
09-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Yikes! Not Take It to the Limit!!! That's a masterpiece! The intensity... the drama!

Once again...

Koala
09-16-2011, 12:28 AM
And again goes my vote to Tequila Sunrise

EaglesKiwi
09-16-2011, 04:29 AM
I vote for Tequila Sunrise, again.

WalshFan88
09-16-2011, 04:32 AM
Tequila Sunrise

TimothyBFan
09-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Hotel California AGAIN!!!

EagleLady
09-16-2011, 09:03 AM

Annabel
09-16-2011, 09:09 AM
Take It To The Limit ....... again.

Brooke
09-16-2011, 09:43 AM
Take It To The Limit. Again!

BBKron
09-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Here we are down to the final four!

These are all great songs, but something has to go next. Although it pains me to have to do it, largely because I love Randy's influence, and this is one of the last and best remnants of Randy in the the modern-day Eagles, but I have to vote for my least favorite of these great classics, and that, reluctantly, is Take It To The Limit. So, I vote for Take It To The Limit.

Henley Honey
09-16-2011, 11:55 AM
This is so hard. There are different versions of both Tequilla Sunrise and Take it to the limit that I absolutely love that make them both outstanding, but something's got to go, so . . . . .
I'm voting for Tequilla Sunrise.

Wildthyme
09-16-2011, 01:43 PM
I cast my vote for Tequila Sunrise. If HT is gone I have to do my part to save TITTL!

timfan
09-16-2011, 02:23 PM
I vote for Take it to the Limit.

Windeagle
09-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Argh! This was the round when I was going to make my blasphemous vote for Take It Easy, but it would be wasted now against all the votes for the song I would have voted for in the round after this. The two songs are close enough in my mind that it doesn't really matter which goes first, so... I vote for Take It To The Limit.

timfan
09-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Looks like it might be a close round again!

whitcap
09-16-2011, 08:14 PM

luvthelighthouse
09-17-2011, 04:50 PM

It's a great one, but I perfer TITTL and it's really close!

GlennLover
09-17-2011, 05:18 PM
I wanted to wait until closer to the deadline to vote but I have to go out so - eenie, meenie, mienie, mo - Hotel California.

(Excuse the spelling)

Glennsallnighter
09-17-2011, 06:51 PM
I vote for HC as well!

09-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Well I would had voted for Tequila Sunrise if it had needed my vote for elimination. However, it looks like it's going down without me, so I will vote stragetically again ...

UK TimFan
09-17-2011, 07:58 PM
I vote for Take it easy.

09-17-2011, 08:11 PM
The next song to be eliminated from Eagles Survivor is Tequila Sunrise. “Tequila Sunrise”, the tribe has spoken and it must be a hollow feeling but it’s time you said goodbye. Maybe you can go to Mexico where the pace of life is slow but please leave the island immediately.

Votes
Tequila Sunrise – 9
Take It To the Limit – 7
Hotel California – 3
Take It Easy – 1

Vote Breakdown
Tequila Sunrise – sodascouts
Tequila Sunrise – Koala
Tequila Sunrise – EaglesKiwi
Tequila Sunrise – WalshFan88
Tequila Sunrise – EagleLady
Tequila Sunrise – Henley Honey
Tequila Sunrise – WildThyme
Tequila Sunrise – whitcap
Tequila Sunrise – luvthelighthouse
Take It To the Limit – Freypower
Take It To the Limit – Annabel
Take It To the Limit – BBKron
Take It To the Limit – timfan
Take It To the Limit – Windeagle
Take It To the Limit – Ive always been a dreamer
Hotel California – GlennLover
Hotel California – Glennsallnighter
Take It Easy –UK Timfan

Songs eliminated:
Waiting In the Weeds 9/9
Seven Bridges Road 9/11
The Best of My Love 9/13
Heartache Tonight 9/15
Tequila Sunrise 9/17

Songs remaining:
Take It Easy
Take It To the Limit
Hotel California

Voting for Round 6 begins now.

09-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Well I am annoyed with myself because I didn't have time to vote again and I am even more annoyed because my favorite song got voted off. Maybe I should just give up now since it seems so pointless to go on *SIGH* :hilarious:

Yeah - I hadn't had time to respond to this before now. But you will forever go down in Border history as the one who caused Heartache Tonight to be eliminated! :lol:

Just kidding of course. But, I would have been curious to see what would have happened if Heartache Tonight and Take It To the Limit would have had to duke it out last round.

Windeagle
09-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Aww! I like Tequila Sunrise. It's like a watercolor painting in song for me. Oh well.

Take it Easy was going to be my next vote. The recorded version kinda bores me, but I've been listening to more of the live versions and seen that the song can be more versatile than I thought. I'll give it another chance.

Hotel California was horribly overplayed in the late 70's, so to be fair, I had to get past that. Again, I turned to the live versions. In these, the song is even more versatile than TIE, particularly the HFO version. And I'm a sucker for clever lyrics and a 12-string. It stays.

I love TITTL. It's in 3/4 time. The lyrics are my favorite of all the remaining songs. I loved Randy singing it, but nowadays I only like Glenn singing it. If live versions are going to be my personal tiebreaker for "best song", I have to be consistent. Based on this criteria, my vote goes to Take It To The Limit.

EaglesKiwi
09-18-2011, 04:34 AM
I vote for Take It Easy.

Of the 3 songs left, it's my least favourite. I know it's the song "where it all began" - but since I was only a baby at the time, it's not where it all began for me. It doesn't have any special emotional significance for me, and although Glenn's singing is beautiful, it's not my favourite GF song by a long way.

Musically I prefer both HC and TITTL. Lyrically I think HC is a much stronger song. TIE does have the best harmonies of the 3 I think. Theme-wise I definitely prefer the idea of taking it to the limit!!

Brooke
09-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Awwww, Tequila Sunrise is gone. :cry: It would have been #3 for me. I just love Glenn's voice on it. So sweet and easy. :sigh:

Therefore my vote is for Take It To The Limit, one more time! :wink:
Gorgeous song, but not as good as the remaining two.

Freypower
09-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Take It To The Limit isn't even my favourite track on the OOTN album, let alone here, so I vote for it again.

luvthelighthouse
09-18-2011, 10:55 PM
I believe both HC and TIE should be in the top three! They are great songs for different reasons and both are signature songs that have held up well over time.

The next two votes are easy for me now.

Koala
09-19-2011, 12:31 AM
I cast my vote for Tak it Easy:weep:

TimothyBFan
09-19-2011, 07:19 AM
I know you'll all be surprised here......

timfan
09-19-2011, 08:03 AM
I vote for Take it to the Limit

Glennsallnighter
09-19-2011, 08:18 AM
Well here too it's a bit easier for me. I'm voting now on simple preference. while no doubt it is a masterpiece musically, HC just doesn't have the same personal connections that both TIE and TITTL have for me. Therefore I vote (with some regret and a few reservations) thisbround to eliminate 'Hotel California' tine for it to check out, although I know it will never leave!

09-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Well - I don't need to wait to cast my vote this time because it's not going to change no matter what else happens in this round. I love all three of these songs - as a matter of fact, I love every song in this game. As I said before, there is very little difference in how much I love one of them compared to the next. I also don't think there is much difference in the quality of one of them compared to the others. So the only way I can decide on which songs I want to remain is that I want Take It Easy and Hotel California to be the last two standing since they are the band's two most definitive songs. Therefore, with sadness ...

BBKron
09-19-2011, 09:48 AM
I also cast my vote for Take It To The Limit. Great song, but I think that it is most appropriate for the final two spots to be HC and TIE.

Annabel
09-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Take It To The Limit gets my vote.

Henley Honey
09-19-2011, 11:55 AM
It pains me to do this, but I vote for:
Take it to the limit :-(

Prettymaid
09-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Normally I would vote for TITTL but it doesn't need my vote this round so I will think to the future.

Almost everybody here knows that I'm a big Jackson Browne fan, so I'd really like to see TIE go all the way, I really would...

But I can't do it. I can't vote to save a song just because my favorite wrote it. Even though I love him I have to be fair and honest to myself, and that means picking the song - not the person affiliated with it - that is the best musically and lyrically (to my ears, anyway), and Hotel California wins that contest. As someone said earlier, to be fair I have to take out of the equation that HC and TIE have been played to death and listen to them with fresh ears. TIE makes me feel good when I hear it. Hotel California makes me notice something new each time I hear it. I believe it is a musical masterpiece.

Therefore, I cast my vote for Take It Easy.

09-19-2011, 05:13 PM
I might just say there are still a lot of players who haven't voted in this round so I don't think it is certain that Take It To the Limit will be eliminated. It looks like it is headed for elimination, but based on the previous votes of those who haven't voted yet, there are still enough outstanding votes to eliminate Hotel California or Take It Easy if those players vote as a coalition. Just saying ...

whitcap
09-19-2011, 05:16 PM

sodascouts
09-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Just dropping in quickly to vote...

Yes, Hotel California is an excellent, well-crafted song. That guitar duet is incredible and its mystical vibe is intriguing as well as original.

However, it doesn't move me like Take It to the Limit. Take It to the Limit lives up to its name when I listen to it. The song's masterful arrangement allows the music to build with the drama; Randy's amazing, passionate vocal soars; the song takes you on an emotional journey. I can relate to it in my heart in a way that I can't with Hotel California; mirrors on the ceiling and pink champagne on ice are cool, but talking about the difficulties of change, of broken dreams, of regrets, of feeling lost, but still trying, still taking it to the limit in spite of everything... those kind of themes get you in your gut. It can kind of choke you up if you let it. Hotel California has never brought a tear to my eye and it never will. Technical proficiency only goes so far in my book. The rest is heart.

Take It to the Limit is about the power of the human spirit and for me, like the human spirit, it rises above.

GlennLover
09-19-2011, 06:52 PM
I vote Hotel California.

UK TimFan
09-19-2011, 07:02 PM
If there is anyone else who hasn't voted who wants to save TITTL and is willing to vote for Hotel California, I will also vote for HC if it's needed to produce a tie in this round.

(Please note that I am not voting at the moment.)

UK TimFan
09-19-2011, 07:59 PM
As TITTL is, sadly, going down, I vote for Take it easy.

09-19-2011, 08:12 PM
The next song to be eliminated from Eagles Survivor is Take It To the Limit. “Take It To the Limit”, we know you've always been a dreamer, but the dreams you've had lately just burnt out. Please leave the island immediately.

Votes
Take It To the Limit – 8
Hotel California – 6
Take It Easy – 4

Vote Breakdown
Take It To the Limit – Windeagle
Take It To the Limit – Freypower
Take It To the Limit – timfan
Take It To the Limit – Ive always been a dreamer
Take It To the Limit – BBKron
Take It To the Limit – Annabel
Take It To the Limit – Henley Honey
Hotel California – luvthelighthouse
Hotel California – Glennsallnighter
Hotel California – sodascouts
Hotel California – GlennLove
Take It Easy – EaglesKiwi
Take It Easy– Koala
Take It Easy – Prettymaid
Take It Easy – UK Timfan

Songs eliminated:
Waiting In the Weeds 9/9
Seven Bridges Road 9/11
The Best of My Love 9/13
Heartache Tonight 9/15
Tequila Sunrise 9/17
Take It To the Limit 9/19

Songs remaining:
Take It Easy
Hotel California

We’re at the last round. This round is special, so it’s done differently. We’re not going to vote for the song we want to go. We’re going to vote for the song we want to win. This is how they do it on the real show, after all.

Once again...

VOTE FOR THE SONG YOU WANT TO WIN.

Voting for the final round begins now.

whitcap
09-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Take It Easy for the win!

Prettymaid
09-19-2011, 08:42 PM
I totally understand Soda's point of view concerning feeling a song with your heart versus only your intellect, and maybe on a different day I would have voted the other way. After all, I love both songs. But for this game I'm going to vote for the best written, best played, best sung song IMO, and that is

Hotel California

Freypower
09-19-2011, 09:23 PM
In this case, my head says Hotel California but my heart says Take It Easy. Hotel California cannot be faulted. I believe it takes you on an exciting journey. Also the broken dreams stuff & feeling lost to which Soda refers is right there in HC too, even if expressed via an extended metaphor.

However just this once & with a nod to having seen it sung last month (only once, though, not twice) I will vote for Take It Easy to win. I can't really explain why I think it should win this time, except that the iconic status it used to have has recently been diminished somewhat and it deserves recognition from me at least.

Also the opening chord, like that of A Hard Day's Night, instantly lifts your spirits to the skies.

timfan
09-19-2011, 09:23 PM
IMO the best two songs are in the final, making this a very difficult choice, but I vote for... Take it Easy for the win!

Windeagle
09-19-2011, 10:03 PM
It's Hotel California for me.

sodascouts
09-19-2011, 10:24 PM
TITTL was only a few votes away from staying! So sad to see it go! I admit, I had nourished the hope that it would somehow beat the odds and win this sucker, but alas, it was not to be. Oh well - third place isn't anything to sneeze at.

So, we come down to the two most iconic Eagles songs in the minds of the general public. I guess that is fitting.

Once again, I vote with the heart and for the song that puts a big smile on my face every time I hear it!

I cast my vote for

TAKE IT EASY

for the win!!!

Wildthyme
09-19-2011, 11:26 PM
Take It Easy for the win!

GlennLover
09-19-2011, 11:50 PM
I have to vote for my all time favorite song. It always brightens my day. Although I agree that HC is a masterpiece, I have to vote for the song that enjoy the most. I vote Take It Easy for the win.

luvthelighthouse
09-20-2011, 12:17 AM
Seriously, I'm sure my vote won't even matter... and that's probably good, because I have no clue what to do here!!!

My first instinct was to vote for TIE. The whole game, that was my thought. It's a great song and on my personal favorites list.

I am not a fan of the overplayed HC. I was, at some time in my life, but the more Eagles tunes I learned, HC fell on my list. However, as I've said countless times, I can appreciate it for what's it worth. It's a epic song written for generations.

I'm listening to both as I type. TIE is awesome and I love how you can hear Randy so clearly. Also, Glenn's vocals are nothing short of amazing!

All that said, HC is a masterpiece! Dark, intense, mythical... Also, all things equal, it was written by the Eagles.

UGH! No clue what to do here...

TimothyBFan
09-20-2011, 07:30 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/crying/2.gif So very sad to TITTL gone!! That song means so very much to me. Has inspired me through some very tough times in my life (just as WITW has more recently) including this last month or so.

But if you want a feel good song, can't get much better than TIE. And even though I've voted a gazillion times to delete HC this game, I still feel it is one of the best rock n roll masterpieces ever! Seriously! The only reason I just don't care as much for it as I used to is the fact that it is constantly played to death.

So for a change, I finally get to vote for something other than HC.

TakE IT EasY fOr ThE wIn.

Brooke
09-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Wow! I agree with everything you all have said about both of the remaining songs. Take It Easy and Hotel California were my top two and felt they deserved to be. I figured HC would win, but now, not so sure!

You all know TIE has always been my all time favorite Eagles song, but I didn't think it would beat out the masterpiece HC. Every time I hear that opening chord of TIE, I get a smile on my face. Always have, always will! I love hearing the opening chord of HC, too, but it's different. The only thing that really bothers me is that Don and Glenn didn't write TIE. I know Glenn helped JB finish it and even though I like JB's version, I love the Eagles so much more.

All game I thought I'd probably vote for HC for the win, but I've decided to go with my heart and first love this time.

I vote for Take It Easy! :partytime: :blueblob:

Henley Honey
09-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Just cause it makes me happy every single time I hear the opening chords, I'm voting for

Take it easy !!
For the win!

sodascouts
09-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Wow! So far it's looking kind of lop-sided, but if everyone who hasn't voted yet goes for Hotel California, it can still win. Therefore, it's still anybody's game!

EagleLady
09-20-2011, 05:06 PM
I vote Take it easy for the win!

Prettymaid
09-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Wow! So far it's looking kind of lop-sided, but if everyone who hasn't voted yet goes for Hotel California, it can still win. Therefore, it's still anybody's game!

Yeah, that's kind of an understatement - HC is getting blown away! I thought it might be closer.

BBKron
09-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Well, this is an easy choice for me. Although both are really great, iconic songs, Take It Easy will always be more of a favorite of mine.

It represents everything that was great about those early days of the group, and for me, the original quartet is still the Eagles at their all-time best. As others have already said, from those very first opening guitar chords, it just gives you a great feeling every time you hear it.

Oh sure, technically, it is really more of a Jackson Browne song than an Eagles song, but the Eagles certainly took it and made it their own in a big way (although I still also really love Jackson's version, too). It just has a style and feel that is unmatched by anything else they do. So, more than anything else, as a fond remembrance of those early days of the group, for Bernie, Randy, Don, and Glenn, all getting along and having fun, I enthusiastically cast my vote for Take It Easy for the Win.

Prettymaid
09-20-2011, 06:23 PM
TIE is my fave of the two, but I think HC is the better song, KWIM?

:weep:Why is this such torture? ;-)

luvthelighthouse
09-20-2011, 09:57 PM
TIE is my fave of the two, but I think HC is the better song, KWIM?

:weep:Why is this such torture? ;-)

Exactly what I'm struggling with!

I was also going to quote your earlier post. TIE is awesome and one of my personal favorites... HC in not a favorite of mine, but it's just a great song, I know that. When I listen to it, really listen, not just hear it, it is certainly the superior song, musically and lyrically... but what makes a song great also comes from w/in and how it makes you feel.

Yesterday I ws ready to vote for HC, today TIE... I guess I'll end up voting for whichever flows out of my fingertips when I decide to vote.

Koala
09-21-2011, 01:00 AM
Love bothe remaining songs, this decision is so hard!

Hotel California for the win!

Annabel
09-21-2011, 03:44 AM
Aaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!! Love both these songs and now have to chose between them. :brickwall: :hmm: Going to give them just one more listen I think then vote.

Glennsallnighter
09-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Well for me this last round is easy enough to decide! Yes its true, Hotel California is probably one of the best known songs that the Eagles have ever produced, and it has an iconic status. One of those tunes that sends a thrill through you when you hear the opening on the radio.

Hey, tell anyone you're an Eagles fan and the first thing they come back with is 'Don't they do Hotel California?'.

But for me, I think one of the greatest songs is 'Take It Easy'. The sense of energy and vibrancy you get from the opening chords remains right through the song, as does the sense of freedom. Quite simply, it brings a smile to my face every time I hear it. As for the memories....... dancing more or less at Glenn :heart:'s feet as he sang it this night 4 weeks ago! Magic!

I vote

TAKE IT EASY

for the win.

luvthelighthouse
09-21-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm going with my first thought...

I vote for Take it Easy!!!

Sure HC is great, but TIE speaks to me! It's a great song, even if it wasn't written my the guys. It's what put them on the map! Gave us their sound... energized people... yes, I feel I voted the right way!

EaglesKiwi
09-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Hotel California for the win.

Freypower
09-21-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm going with my first thought...

I vote for Take it Easy!!!

Sure HC is great, but TIE speaks to me! It's a great song, even if it wasn't written my the guys. It's what put them on the map! Gave us their sound... energized people... yes, I feel I voted the right way!

Glenn wrote the part in Take It Easy about 'it's a girl, my Lord, in a flat bed Ford' so I think he deserves some credit.

UK TimFan
09-21-2011, 07:33 PM
My vote is unlikely to make a difference this late in the day, but I vote Hotel California for the win.

09-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Well - I certainly agree that these songs are the two definitive Eagles songs. I am very glad they are the ones that made it to the final two - that's the way it should be IMHO. And both times we've played this game, that has been the case, so apparently most of the voters here agree. Both songs are awesome and either is deserving of victory. I have said before that my favorite song is not always what I consider to be the best song. I don't think I can actually pick a favorite Eagles song and that may be why I do not usually vote from the heart in these games. However, in this game all of the songs are great songs. If I go with the one that I feel is most deserving of the win based on its legendary status and cultural significance - the one that is considered to be one of the best songs in the history of rock 'n roll I'd vote for Hotel California. However, since my vote really won't make a difference anyway, I am going to vote from the heart this time ...

I cast my vote for Take It Easy.

sodascouts
09-21-2011, 08:01 PM
And the winner of the All-Star Song Survivor.. the BEST of the best... the ultimate SURVIVOR is....
TAKE IT EASY!!!!

Votes
Take It Easy -14
Hotel California - 5

Vote Breakdown
Take It Easy - whitcap
Take It Easy - Freypower
Take It Easy - timfan
Take It Easy - sodascouts
Take It Easy - Wildthyme
Take It Easy - GlennLover
Take It Easy - TimothyBFan
Take It Easy - Brooke
Take It Easy - Henley Honey
Take It Easy - EagleLady
Take It Easy - BBKron
Take It Easy - Glennsallnighter
Take It Easy - luvthelighthouse
Take It Easy - Ive always been a dreamer
Hotel California - Prettymaid
Hotel California - Windeagle
Hotel California - Koala
Hotel California - EaglesKiwi
Hotel California - UKTimFan

Songs eliminated:
Waiting In the Weeds 9/9
Seven Bridges Road 9/11
The Best of My Love 9/13
Heartache Tonight 9/15
Tequila Sunrise 9/17
Take It To the Limit 9/19
Hotel California 9/21

GAME OVER. THANKS FOR PLAYING!

sodascouts
09-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Congrats to TAKE IT EASY!

You know, I was thinking... this is the only song that has been played at every single Eagles concert EVER. A brief sampling through the years....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46T1r_tetgA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOQQ4WLFWbk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJJMJDsGsL0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XByaqHhBFqE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kTAT4vj_hI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuqbmRgUWmk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL683aq49_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT7fxpSnWE8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5ceVY05MeQ

WalshFan88
09-21-2011, 09:15 PM
My favorite version of the winning song (HFO). I prefer it to any other version because Walsh injects some rock into it with his 2nd guitar solo and really takes it to another level and rocks it up. Talk about nice licks! They should do this live every time IMO. It really livens up that tune with some nice guitar playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL683aq49_M

Freypower
09-21-2011, 10:07 PM
It's interesting that it WASN'T played at Glenn's first show last month. We got THIO & Lyin' Eyes as encores instead, the first time I believe this has happened. He did TIE as the encore the second night.

sodascouts
09-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Yeah, as far as I know that was the first time. Kind of sad to break a streak like that!

luvthelighthouse
09-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Yeah, as far as I know that was the first time. Kind of sad to break a streak like that!

Why can I see this as some kind of bonus question in some upcoming game? :hilarious:

Koala
09-22-2011, 12:49 AM
Congrats to TAKE IT EASY!Truly a worthy winner song!Even if I voted for Hotel California!

TimothyBFan
09-22-2011, 08:06 AM
Way to go Take It Easy!!! :thumbsup:

I can't help but notice the person that has preached the virtues of the runner up song ever since he started on this board, wasn't present at the very end to vote for it! :fingerwag: You better have a good excuse young man!! :hilarious: Not that it would have mattered in the final count anyways.

For what it's worth, because I was no where close :shrug:, here's my list.

1. Waiting In The Weeds
1. Take It To The Limit (Just wasn't sure which one I would have voted for if it came down to these 2)
3. The Best Of My Love
4. Seven Bridges Road
5. Take It Easy
6. Heartache Tonight
7. Tequila Sunrise
8. Hotel California

Any guesses on why my list is so different from most? :headscratch: Am I really that unusual? :hilarious:

Glennsallnighter
09-22-2011, 09:01 AM
Yeah, I was convinced he would come out and do another encore that first night in Fallsview. I was amazed when the lights came up and realised that we wouldn't get TIE that night. Although at the time I was so high anyway that it really didn't matter.

Brooke
09-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Congrats to Take It Easy!

Great game everyone! I didn't even get around to voting by my list most of the game, but I'm so happy my 2 favorites came out as the top two.

I was disappointed that Glenn didn't do TIE that first night in Fallsview too. I can't imagine him doing a show and not doing it, but he came back with it the next night so he's forgiven. Don't ever do that again Glenn! :fingerwag: :lol:

For what it's worth my list was like this:

1. Take It Easy-went with my heart.
2. Hotel California-my vote on the top two was swayed by comments.
3. Tequila Sunrise
4. The Best of My Love
5. Take It To The Limit
6. Heartache Tonight
7. Seven Bridges Road
8. Waiting In The Weeds

No doubt tho-I love all of 'em! :heart:

WalshFan88
09-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Way to go Take It Easy!!! :thumbsup:

I can't help but notice the person that has preached the virtues of the runner up song ever since he started on this board, wasn't present at the very end to vote for it! :fingerwag: You better have a good excuse young man!! :hilarious: Not that it would have mattered in the final count anyways.

Sorry Willie! :hilarious: I've been super busy and also, you hit the nail on the head, my 1 vote wouldn't have mattered diddly squat. I still say HC is a superior song in every regard though. I like TIE, it's a great song, but HC is the be all end all of the Eagles, at least for me. It also has a direct connection to MY heart and is a very emotional song for me and very uplifting. It gives me chills even to this day when I listen to it. I welled up some when I heard the Eagles play it live. It's just such a moving song. Anyone who doesn't understand that needs to listen to it again. It has a hidden message all about motivation and life.

sodascouts
09-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Well, as I said before, I don't find Hotel California very moving, and I have indeed listened to it many times! However, I do understand that people interpret songs different ways and I think it's great that the song can mean so much to people like Austin. Even if I don't feel a certain way when I hear a song, I respect other people's feelings.

I think Take It Easy has uplifted many a person, judging at least from the sampling here - how many people said it brought a smile to their faces? I know I did! There's just something about it that makes you soar!

Every song in this competition, IMHO, is a superior one. The level of quality of each song in this game just shows why the Eagles are among the greatest bands of all time. All of these songs are winners, both literally and figuratively. ROCK ON EAGLES!

BBKron
09-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Congratulations to the very worthy winner, Take It Easy! Just a great song, a great feeling, and always such a joy to hear.

And while we're celebrating this great song, I just wanted to mention, and wonder, Is everyone aware that this song has been commemorated with a public park in Winslow, AZ? Of course, the town of Winslow, Arizona was immortalized in probably the song's most famous verse. Well, in 1999, they opened 'Standin' On The Corner Park', which features a statue of a singer with a guitar leaning on a lamppost on a street corner, and a two-story mural which depicts a storefront window showing the reflection of the 'girl in a flatbed Ford, slowing down'. The second story 'window' in the mural shows an eagle perched on the window sill.

Just wanted to ask, How many other songs have been commemorated with a similar tribute? Surely not many. Goes to show just how widespread the appeal of the song is, and how much the song has become part of our culture. Virtually everyone knows the song and this verse from the song.

Has anyone here actually visited this 'park' in their travels? Is it known if any of the Eagles has graced this park with their presence at any time? Just thought this was interesting, and relevant to the Take It Easy Celebration.

Here's a link to the wikipedia page about the park:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standin'_on_the_Corner_Park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standin%27_on_the_Corner_Park)

and the official website: http://www.standinonthecorner.com/

sodascouts
09-22-2011, 01:57 PM
A couple of our members have visited this place, and I know I would sure like to! I hear they have some great memorabilia, too.

I'm sure there aren't very many songs at all that have such a tribute - certainly I can't think of any off of the top of my head. I guess "Take It Easy" put that little town on the map. No wonder they celebrate it!

About cultural impact - I think "Take It Easy" also had a lot of impact in the sense that it became representative of a certain laid-back attitude a lot of people, especially Californians, were advocating in the early seventies. In that sense, it became almost an anthem.

On a somewhat related and definitely funny note, check this out guys - it's from the joke news site called The Onion:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/january-23-1973,10591/

sodascouts
09-22-2011, 02:14 PM
I noticed the article is showing up really small in my browser. In case you're having trouble reading it, here's what it says:

=============

January 23, 1973

HENLEY, FREY URGE NATION TO TAKE IT EASY

Laid-Back Eagles Call for National Mellowing Out Period

WINSLOW, Ariz - In a heartfelt plea for calm following 10 turbulent years of political unrest and massive social upheaval, mellow-rock-industry leaders Don Henley and Glenn Frey urged the nation to take it easy Monday.

The plea, delivered by the two Eagles from a corner in Winslow, Arizona, left many in attendance with a peaceful, easy feeling, sources said.

“We as a nation have been letting the sound of our own wheels drive us crazy,” said Frey, his feathered hair stirring slightly in a mild breeze as he casually slung an acoustic guitar over his shoulder. “Now, more than ever, people need to kick back and loosen their collective load.”

Frey said the societal shifts and fallout caused by the '60s are so complex that civilians should not even try to understand them. "No matter what our problems may be," he said, "one thing is certain. Win or lose, we will never be here again. So let's lighten up, America - while we still can."

Added Henley, “Come on, baby, don’t say maybe.”

"Take me for example," said Henley, looking laid-back in jeans, cowboy boots, and a denim shirt provocatively unbuttoned almost to the waist, leaving much of his tanned upper torso visible. "The way I look, you'd never guess that, at this very moment, I have seven women on my mind, four of whom, incidentally, want to own me. But, despite facing such pressures, I maintain a relaxed attitude. Yes, I have problems, but I don't let them get to me."

In keeping with the spirit of these remarks, Henley and Frey cut the press conference short after the unexpected appearance of a girl in a flatbed Ford, who slowed down to take a look at the laid-back duo.

"My Lord," Henley said.

Music industry insiders attribute the duo's all-encompassing mellowness to a nearly-constant state of euphoric marijuana "high." Over the next few years, analysts say, the mellowness will gradually give way to infighting, paranoia, and, eventually, a descent into cocaine addiction - an experience which has been likened to a hotel from which you can check out any time you like, but can never leave.