PDA

View Full Version : Eagles in New Orleans, Louisiana at Jazz Fest May 2012

Koala
12-14-2011, 01:17 AM
2012 New Orleans Jazz Fest lineup released

http://www.nola.com/jazzfest/index.ssf/2011/12/2012_new_orleans_jazz_fest_lin.html?utm_source=dlv r.it&utm_medium=twitter

SECOND WEEKEND, MAY 3-6, 2012

among others, play:
The Eagles

sodascouts
12-14-2011, 02:22 AM
Oh my gosh! Just $50 and 6 hours away - I am SO THERE! Who's with me??

Wildthyme
12-14-2011, 02:59 AM
Love to if for no other reason than I have always wanted to go to New Orleans and maybe if I get a real job I might be able to but right now $50 is half my food budget for a month so it remains but a dream 8-)

sodascouts
12-14-2011, 03:24 AM
Luckily all I have to pay for is the ticket and gas!

TimothyBFan
12-14-2011, 08:17 AM
So good to see these dates coming at us already!!

Henley Honey
12-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Oh my gosh! Just $50 and 6 hours away - I am SO THERE! Who's with me??

I'm gonna try, but I have a family Wedding and Communion that weekend! Maybe they'll give me a "pass" if I write a bigger check!

Prettymaid
12-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Surely WC will be there - it's her stomping grounds!

VAisForEagleLovers
12-14-2011, 03:34 PM
I'll need to think about this...my first guess is that it's a no-go and I'll wait until something that's not a festival will come up and be closer to home.

whitcap
12-14-2011, 03:39 PM
There's no way I can pass this up!

Ive always been a dreamer
12-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Oh wow - I'm gonna have to give this one some serious consideration. If it were an indoor concert, I'd probably be more interested in going. I'm not a big fan of these festivals, but, still, it's the Eagles ... just sayin'! :headbang:

Topkat
12-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Here's another article announcing Eagles & Tom Petty to play New Orleans Fest:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hUGqXJGOjfpK2XRPSOHnszefnkmw?docId=5de9c6c9f 706472597628c7a51300d72

sodascouts
01-24-2012, 11:58 AM
The exact date is confirmed: May 5!

HiredHand
01-24-2012, 01:00 PM
I would love to be there to see the Eagles perform live. Consequently, the Beach Boys are also reuniting and will be performing there.

all eagles
01-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Any of you ever been to the jazz fest or any similiar event? Wondering how many songs to expect the group to play?????

sodascouts
01-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Welcome, all eagles!

I've been to a few of these festivals. The shows are usually about 2 hours. I'm not sure what the setlist will be since this is a new tour, but here's the setlist from the Austin City Limits Festival in 2010:

Seven Bridges Road
How Long
Take It to the Limit
Hotel California
Peaceful Easy Feeling
I Can’t Tell You Why
Witchy Woman
In the City
Lyin' Eyes
Long Road Out of Eden
Walk Away
Boys of Summer
Long Run
Life’s Been Good
Dirty Laundry
Funk 49
Heartache Tonight
Life in the Fast Lane

[Encore]
Take It Easy
Desperado

Henley Honey
01-24-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm starting to get the itch. I may have to blow off the family wedding and communion that are scheduled for that weekend and head on down to the Big Easy. Hmm. That's got a nice sound. From the Big Apple to the Big Easy. ;) I'm giving it some serious thought!

sodascouts
01-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Camping out all day would be a lot more fun with you there, HenleyHoney!

I guess it depends on how upset your relatives would be if you missed the events. Even the Eagles aren't worth family feuds! ;)

My little sister is coming, although I'm unsure if she'll be camping out with us. She hasn't committed to that part yet, lol. I figured she could use some fun times. I told her to prepare to see her sister in full-out fangirl mode!

My friend who goes to a lot of Fleetwood Mac/Stevie/Lindsey Buckingham shows with me is coming, too, as she wants to see Bonnie Raitt on Sunday. I agreed to camp out with her Sunday if she agreed to camp out with me Saturday, lol. Whitcap is coming, too.

whitcap - are you thinking of camping out with us? The more the merrier!

Are you coming for sure, all eagles? What about you, HiredHand? Feel free to join the gang! See above. ;)

Anyone else?

Henley Honey
01-24-2012, 08:58 PM
I guess it depends on how upset your relatives would be if you missed the events. Even the Eagles aren't worth family feuds! ;)

Ah . . . . Yeah. They are absolutely worth it. My family will still be feuding long after the Eagles retire. :spin: I'll have to see what I can do. By "camping" you mean at the Four Seasons Hotel, right? :nod:

sodascouts
01-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Oh, I almost forgot. My Fleetwood Mac fan friend, Kristin, discovered that there is a VIP area so that even if you camp out all day, you won't get in the very front. I'm not sure how big the VIP area is, but imagine it's probably the equivalent of about five rows or so (it's GA SRO so "rows" doesn't really apply, but you get my drift). This week I will call and inquire. Anyway, anyone thinking about going should be aware of that.

HH, if you're staying with us - try the airport Hilton overnight, and the fairgrounds all day! I'll understand if you make other arrangements though. ;) If you come down on Thursday night we can do fun stuff unrelated to camping out - not only Thursday night but all day Friday. It's just Saturday that we must dedicate to our guys if we want a decent view.

sodascouts
02-12-2012, 02:34 AM
As a follow-up to my previous post.... some dismaying news.

As I suspected, the VIP area is indeed large and extends the length of the stage. In fact, it's larger than I anticipated. Even getting there as soon as the gates open and camping out all day, we'll probably be in about the equivalent of the 10th row.

You can see the size of it here, standing largely empty due to the rain in a previous year:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u201/windowman_2007/jazzfest%2008/P4270105.jpg

The view from the stage (the VIP area extends to the metal barricade):

http://www.claytoncallphoto.com/keyword/crowd/1/860034059_stJ97#!i=860034059&k=stJ97&lb=1&s=A

I'm committed to going; however, I'm unsure if it'll be worth it to camp out all day as I did for Aspen and Austin City Limits. I might have to watch this one from afar.

sodascouts
03-07-2012, 10:16 PM
My little sister's not coming after all - it'll be just me and my friend Kristin. We'll be camping out alright...as much as you can without a blanket or chairs. Hello, my little patch of grass. We won't be at the front thanks to that VIP section, but we'll be as close as we can get.

EaglesKiwi
03-09-2012, 04:32 AM
Oh, your little sister won't get to see you in "attention-whore fangirl mode" Soda... :shrug:

... then again, maybe that's just as well. :rofl:

sodascouts
03-09-2012, 06:09 PM
She actually WANTS to see it. Morbid curiosity I guess!

EaglesKiwi
03-11-2012, 03:03 AM
I can understand that.

TimothyBFan
03-12-2012, 07:39 AM

:lol: This cracked me up!!!

Windeagle
03-20-2012, 09:44 PM
I just heard today that the radio station I listen to way up here in New England is having a contest to win tickets and accommodations to the New Orleans Jazz Fest.

I briefly considered trying for it, but changed my mind. My nearly-high-school graduate daughter is annoyed enough that I'm running off to see Glenn during her pre-graduation weeks. Another Eagles trip would send her over the edge!

sodascouts
03-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Strange that they'd have a contest so far away! Too bad you can't make it.

lizzyplays
03-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Ok, so this is ALL very tentative and in case you haven't caught on yet, I tend to get WAY excited in anticipation of things even if nothing is solidly planned yet. But anyhoo, I REALLY want to go to the Jazz Fest. I wish I had known about it before I bought my ATL ticket. My friend in ATL who decided too late to join me at the concert, has only the option to hope to get one outside the night of show. So.. that in mind, I had a brainstorm. Maybe, she and I can drive to NO after the Eagles show on the 4th. Drive all night and spend all day Saturday at the festival, including catching the Eagles show that day. I have a friend in NO (an online friend from a word game that I play, we've known each other 12 yrs online now) and I've alerted her, so if all goes as hoped, maybe can spend the night with her (because I imagine it's going to be hard to get any kind of room but i'm not above sleeping in the car if that doesn't pan out. lol). That way, I get to go to the festival and the Eagles concert, spend time doing something fun with my friend Kathie, all at the same time!

It's quite possible that I am just dreaming and dreaming too big. But, hey, what is life without something to strive for? I would make the NO trip by myself, except for the fact that I owe Kathie the 'girls weekend', so I couldn't ditch her on Sat/Sun if she didn't want to do that. She has dogs so it would entail her finding someone to go over a couple of times. So much to sort out!! I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope for the best. :-)

GlennLover
03-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Oh, I so hope everything works out so you can go, Lizzy!

lizzyplays
03-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Thanks GL!! I've practically convinced myself that this just isn't a problem to accomplish and in my mind, there's no valid reason why we can't do it! The only obstacle that I can foresee is sleep and that's so overrated! ;-)

Henley Honey
03-23-2012, 02:49 PM
It's about a 7 1/2 hour drive, LP. (About 480 miles) Good Luck!!

GlennLover
03-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Thanks GL!! I've practically convinced myself that this just isn't a problem to accomplish and in my mind, there's no valid reason why we can't do it! The only obstacle that I can foresee is sleep and that's so overrated! ;-)

Who needs sleep when you are going to see the Eagles?! :rockon: I would be so excited before & after that I couldn't sleep anyway!

lizzyplays
03-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Ughhhhh... just as I figured, her dogs are going to be the reason she can't go. She's not from that town, so she doesn't really have family there either. I hate to push her to ask a friend, because that would mean her having to trust someone with her house key and she may not be comfortable with that.

Good grief, I am going to POUT. And I have to go to work now and be nice to a bunch of drunks singing bad karaoke!!!

Ughhhhhhhhh... did I say that already? lol

GlennLover
03-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Awww, Lizzy. I'm sorry! :-( Isn't there still a glime of hope?

lizzyplays
03-24-2012, 11:14 PM
I haven't fully given up yet. I can't believe a 48 hour period could be that much trouble to have the dogs looked after during. (But, as I said, I've never had pets, so I'm not trying to downplay her love and devotion of her pets.)

On a better note, my friend who lives "one streetcar away from the fairgrounds" (her words) has said that we could stay with her, once she knows if her sister is coming the first weekend of jazzfest and not the second.

A lot of "IF's" at the moment. There simply has to be a solution. If nothing else, I could always make the NO trip alone... I'm not afraid to do that, but she's probably going to be disappointed if I don't stay and spend the weekend with her.... oh the guilt of it all!!!

:brickwall:

sodascouts
03-27-2012, 03:21 PM
The JazzFest site (http://lineup.nojazzfest.com/events/2012/05/05) put up the scheduling cubes for band stages and times:

The Eagles will be playing the Acura State from 5:00-7:00.

I don't recognize any of the bands before them, but I guess I will soon enough! Anybody else heard of them? They are: Mas Mamones, The Malone Brothers, Allen Toussaint (actually, this name does sound familiar to me; I just can't place it), and Irma Thomas.

whitcap
03-27-2012, 04:02 PM
The JazzFest site (http://lineup.nojazzfest.com/events/2012/05/05) put up the scheduling cubes for band stages and times:

I don't recognize any of the bands before them, but I guess I will soon enough! Anybody else heard of them? They are: Mas Mamones, The Malone Brothers, Allen Toussaint (actually, this name does sound familiar to me; I just can't place it), and Irma Thomas.

They are probably all New Orleans based bands and musicians. The majority of Jazz Fest performers are local with a handful of big name acts thrown in to draw large crowds.

So we're getting the two hour show. Do you think it will be the typical festival set?

sodascouts
03-27-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm hoping there will be at least one or two changes.

It will be interesting to see what they play in South Africa and Dubai. If there isn't anything different there, it doesn't bode well.

Freypower
03-27-2012, 05:43 PM

Allen Toussaint has been a staple of the New Orleans music scene for decades. Irma Thomas is a soul singer. I don't know the others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Toussaint

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irma_Thomas

whitcap
04-21-2012, 01:38 PM
2 weeks til the show! :D

sodascouts
05-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Today is sure a crazy day! It's graduation day for our seniors. The university had a celebratory brunch from 8:30-10:30. I came home to finish packing for New Orleans tonight and get a little work done. Then, it's back at 4:30 for graduation which will probably end about 8:00.

I leave directly from the ceremony to go to New Orleans, with a stop in Mississippi to pick up my friend. We should get there about 2:30 am if all goes well.

Then, we have to get up at 6:00 am or so to get ready to be at the gates when they open so we can be one of the first in, therefore enabling us to camp out in front of the Acura stage to see the Eagles from the best position possible for non-VIPs.

At least we don't have to worry about getting ready. Any makeup would be sweated off and you can't wear cute clothes when you're out in the sun all day. They'd just stick to you and get all sweaty and nasty, too. All I'm wearing is a pair of denim shorts and an old T-shirt; no makeup except sunscreen and lip gloss.

This is all crazy, I know. Wish me luck!

Brooke
05-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Oh my, Soda! You crazy girl! Be careful and have fun! Hopefully it won't be too muggy and hot! :bye:

zeldabjr
05-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Today is sure a crazy day! It's graduation day for our seniors. The university had a celebratory brunch from 8:30-10:30. I came home to finish packing for New Orleans tonight and get a little work done. Then, it's back at 4:30 for graduation which will probably end about 8:00.

I leave directly from the ceremony to go to New Orleans, with a stop in Mississippi to pick up my friend. We should get there about 2:30 am if all goes well.

Then, we have to get up at 6:00 am or so to get ready to be at the gates when they open so we can be one of the first in, therefore enabling us to camp out in front of the Acura stage to see the Eagles from the best position possible for non-VIPs.

At least we don't have to worry about getting ready. Any makeup would be sweated off and you can't wear cute clothes when you're out in the sun all day. They'd just stick to you and get all sweaty and nasty, too. All I'm wearing is a pair of denim shorts and an old T-shirt; no makeup except sunscreen and lip gloss.

This is all crazy, I know. Wish me luck!

Good luck Soda and be careful...drink a lot of water!

Victim of Love
05-05-2012, 11:05 AM
For those of us always eager and hungry for reviews and photos, I suggest you bookmark NOLA.COM and watch closely. The Times-Picayune has been devoting HUGE portions of their coverage to Jazz Fest, resplendent with photos and articles that are hitting their website almost before the last note of a show has faded!

Next to Mardi Gras, this event is probably their biggest draw and the newspaper coverage is the best you'll find. Jimmy Buffet played Thursday and there are some awesome pix and a great write-up...same goes for Springsteen.

Our faves hit the stage at 5:00 p.m. local time and I know Nancy will provide us with all the details. But while we're waiting for her to post, NOLA.COM will give us an instant fix! ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

zeldabjr
05-05-2012, 11:21 AM
For those of us always eager and hungry for reviews and photos, I suggest you bookmark NOLA.COM and watch closely. The Times-Picayune has been devoting HUGE portions of their coverage to Jazz Fest, resplendent with photos and articles that are hitting their website almost before the last note of a show has faded!

Next to Mardi Gras, this event is probably their biggest draw and the newspaper coverage is the best you'll find. Jimmy Buffet played Thursday and there are some awesome pix and a great write-up...same goes for Springsteen.

Our faves hit the stage at 5:00 p.m. local time and I know Nancy will provide us with all the details. But while we're waiting for her to post, NOLA.COM will give us an instant fix! ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks VOL, for the info...will watch for details...man those boys are gonna be whipped after playing last night, then today at 5 and the heat....gonna be four tired Eagles...poor babies!

GlennLover
05-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks, VOL! Got it bookmarked for the NOLA.COM "New Orleans Jazz Fest".

whitcap
05-05-2012, 04:12 PM
A little under 2 hours to go! Soda and I are at the front of the general admission section :)

VAisForEagleLovers
05-05-2012, 04:20 PM
A little under 2 hours to go! Soda and I are at the front of the general admission section :)

Excellent news!!

GlennLover
05-05-2012, 04:41 PM

If anybody can get you to the front, Soda can! LOL! Enjoy!

Victim of Love
05-05-2012, 04:51 PM
THE HEAT IS ON!!! Just a matter of minutes until show time. So anxious to see photos and reviews on the NOLA website and hear from Nancy. I agree that the boys are probably feeling a little beat up with today's performance on the heels of lastnight. On the other hand, they may still be soaring on the high they had in Atlanta. Keeping my fingers crossed ad wishing I was there.

whitcap
05-05-2012, 09:22 PM
That was awesome. It blew the last eagles show I saw out of the water. Last time I was in the nose bleeds and this time I was close enough to see them clearly! It was so worth the four hours standing in the sun. The set was the same as Atlanta. I'll let Nancy give y'all the details. She's better at that sort of thing than I am.

Ive always been a dreamer
05-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks for checking in, wc. So glad that you and Soda were able to hook up and that you had such a great spot for an awesome show. I so wish I could have been there, and with my job being so hectic lately, I am so looking forward to our upcoming road trip. :thumbsup: