PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Frey Song Survivor: The Solo Collection

Pages : 1 [2]

Koala
02-11-2012, 03:01 AM
I cast my vote for True Love again!

timfan
02-11-2012, 10:01 AM
No question this round; I cast my vote for True Love. While it is a great song is it the weakest of the remaining songs IMO.

Topkat
02-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Voting for RIVER OF DREAMS

Please SAVE TRUE LOVE.....I love that song!!!

Glennsallnighter
02-11-2012, 11:58 AM
If I don't vote now before I head away, I may not get the chance. I love all the songs that are left equally, so it is just soooo hard this time. VERY reluctantly this time I vote off 'The One You Love'

Glennhoney
02-11-2012, 12:49 PM
I will give you "True Love" this time........I'll help you save "River of dreams" for one more round..

Ive always been a dreamer
02-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Well, I'm not ready to vote yet either, but it looks like the battle in this round will be between The One You Love and True Love. As I said before, I think The One You Love is a very pretty song, but I don't like it as much as many of Glenn's other ballads. The melody is not as interesting to me and I wish his understated delivery in the song was more emotive. Now speaking of emotive, Glenn's vocal delivery in True Love is the epitome of emotive passion in a song. This soulful tribute to Memphis blues is simply exceptional. The sax is just awesome as is all of the music in the song. The melody is also terrific, and I love the full stop and restart at the end.

TimothyBFan
02-11-2012, 02:52 PM
I vote for River Of Dreams.

Henley Honey
02-11-2012, 03:23 PM
This soulful tribute to Memphis blues is simply exceptional.

My feelings exactly -- and that is why I'm voting this round for The One You Love.

sodascouts
02-11-2012, 05:11 PM
True Love's vocal is stellar, it's got great soul, and I love the full stop towards the end. It's also a terrific sentiment, even if the "she's my buttercup" line goes a bit over the top. ;)

However, The One You Love is smoother and sexier, and the instantly recognizable sax opening can really "get you in the mood." I also love the way he makes that slight change to the chorus at 3:24.

Just in case anyone's forgotten its awesomeness, Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmV9vk2950o

Ooooh, love it.

To be fair, here's true love as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz2vR7wMuIU

The biggest problem for those of us who love "River of Dreams" is the fact that each round, a split vote can cost us that song. We need to commit and roll with it.

Topkat
02-11-2012, 05:31 PM
I adore both The One You Love & True Love, which is why I voted for River of Dreams....Please save Glenn's love songs, & vote off River of Dreams!!!
Thanks for those videos, shows how great these 2 songs are.

Freypower
02-11-2012, 05:42 PM
River Of Dreams is also a love song even though it concerns moving to another place. Listen to the 'we'll have stars to wish on every single night' part.

sodascouts
02-11-2012, 05:59 PM
I wish the sweet, ultra-romantic video for River of Dreams was on YouTube. However, you can stream it here if you're in the States:

http://music.yahoo.com/videos/Glenn+Frey/River+Of+Dreams--2162316

Or download it off of Glenn Frey Online (http://glennfreyonline.com/downloads/multimediafunstuffvideo.htm).

This has to at least last until Valentine's Day!

timfan
02-11-2012, 06:32 PM
I wish the sweet, ultra-romantic video for River of Dreams was on YouTube. However, you can stream it here if you're in the States:

http://music.yahoo.com/videos/Glenn+Frey/River+Of+Dreams--2162316

Or download it off of Glenn Frey Online (http://glennfreyonline.com/downloads/multimediafunstuffvideo.htm).

This has to at least last until Valentine's Day!

For those outside the USA it can be viewed here (http://www.videodetective.com/music/river-of-dreams/770042) ; and Soda I agree with you ROD needs to last til Valentines day, with the video showing such love between Cindy and Glenn it is just so appropriate!

02-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Love all of those videos. I actually like the video for The One You Love better than True Love, but that is definitely not the case for the song themselves as I said earlier. I agree that I would like to save River of Dreams for one or even two more rounds, but it's been difficult to form coalitions since we are all so split on these songs. So I guess the chips will fall where they may. I'm going to go ahead and vote this round I'm not likely to change my mind. Since I find True Love to be a much more interesting, entertaining, and energetic song ...

I cast my vote for The One You Love.

Topkat
02-11-2012, 08:35 PM
I thought we are voting for the song, not the video. Yes, ROD is a nice video, but as a song, I don't think it's as good as TL, or TOYL. But that's my opinion.

UK TimFan
02-11-2012, 09:34 PM
On previous form there will be two more votes for River of dreams.

I like 'The one you love' better than 'True love' so don't really want to vote for TOYL, especially as there are other songs I like less than both of them and therefore would prefer to vote for.
However, in this round, if my vote becomes crucial to save River of dreams then I will vote for TOYL, because I consider RoD better than both TOYL and TL.
On the other hand, if I can vote for TL and save both RoD and TOYL ..... :smile:

EaglesKiwi
02-12-2012, 04:34 AM
Well, I'm not ready to vote yet either, but it looks like the battle in this round will be between The One You Love and True Love. As I said before, I think The One You Love is a very pretty song, but I don't like it as much as many of Glenn's other ballads. The melody is not as interesting to me and I wish his understated delivery in the song was more emotive. Now speaking of emotive, Glenn's vocal delivery in True Love is the epitome of emotive passion in a song. This soulful tribute to Memphis blues is simply exceptional. The sax is just awesome as is all of the music in the song. The melody is also terrific, and I love the full stop and restart at the end.
Aaargh, I thought I had made up my mind, but now I'm having to rethink and re-listen... :headscratch:

Wildthyme
02-12-2012, 12:30 PM
After changing my mind a dozen times trying to pick between songs I love, my vote this round is for "The One You Love" to be eliminated.

whitcap
02-12-2012, 05:23 PM
I vote for River of Dreams.

GlennLover
02-12-2012, 06:14 PM
I vote True Love

sodascouts
02-12-2012, 08:57 PM
It seems River of Dreams is safe this round ::knock on wood:: so I'll go ahead and vote my heart instead of doing the coalition thing.

I cast my vote for True Love.

UK TimFan
02-12-2012, 08:58 PM
I vote for True love

sodascouts
02-12-2012, 09:02 PM
In a surprise last-minute surge, the next song to be eliminated from Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor is True Love. “True Love,” ain't no doubt about it; the tribe has spoken. It's time for you to go. Please leave the island immediately.

The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
True Love – 6
The One You Love – 5
River of Dreams - 3

Vote Breakdown
True Love - Koala
True Love - timfan
True Love - Glennhoney
True Love - GlennLover
True Love - sodascouts
True Love - UK TimFan
The One You Love – Freypower
The One You Love - Glennsallnighter
The One You Love - Henley Honey
The One You Love - Ive always been a dreamer
The One You Love - Wildthyme
River of Dreams - Topkat
River of Dreams - TimothyBFan
River of Dreams - whitcap

Songs eliminated:
Sexy Girl 1/25
Common Ground 1/27
Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed 1/29
Call on Me 1/31
The Heat is On 2/02
This Way to Happiness 2/04
Soul Searchin' 2/06
Brave New World 2/08
I've Got Mine 2/10
True Love 2/12

Songs remaining:
Smuggler's Blues
You Belong to the City
The One You Love
Part of Me, Part of You
River of Dreams

Voting for Round 11 begins now.

TimothyBFan
02-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Well, let me start this round with a vote for River Of Dreams once again.

Wildthyme
02-12-2012, 09:22 PM
And I am going to vote for The One You Love again...

sodascouts
02-12-2012, 09:23 PM
As much as I love this song, when I look at what's left... they're ALL good! So...

timfan
02-12-2012, 09:27 PM
I cast my vote for The One You Love

Topkat
02-12-2012, 10:09 PM
I knew it was going to get painful for me to see True Love go. Excuse me while I cry:cry:

Freypower
02-12-2012, 11:27 PM
The One You Love

Koala
02-13-2012, 01:01 AM

GlennLover
02-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Nooooo! Not The One You Love! :ack: :worried: :sad: :cry:

EaglesKiwi
02-13-2012, 03:26 AM
I vote for beautiful The One You Love. :sad:

I like the others even more.

Mrs Frey
02-13-2012, 06:34 AM
I cast my vote for "River Of Dreams".

I can't believe "True Love" has been voted off!! :cry:

Henley Honey
02-13-2012, 05:47 PM
I vote for The One You Love

Topkat
02-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Well it looks like another one of my favorites is about to go, but I will vote again for;

RIVER OF DREAMS

Brooke
02-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Well, I've managed to miss a couple rounds here, too much lifestuff going on, but it would have been awfully hard for me to vote off anything anyway! I'm sorry to see I've Got Mine and True Love go, but I guess something has to each time. I had TOYL going before either of those, but :shrug:

I'm going to hold off for now and see what develops. Hopefully, I won't forget to come back and vote before the day is over. :crazy:

Glennhoney
02-14-2012, 02:15 PM
RIVER OF DREAMS has to go.......

EaglesKiwi
02-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Well, I've managed to miss a couple rounds here, too much lifestuff going on, but it would have been awfully hard for me to vote off anything anyway!
I know just how you feel, Brooke! It's a shame there's not an anti-Survivor where we get to vote the songs ONTO the island :angel:

I wonder if the results would be any different...

Brooke
02-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Hmmmm, it's very close. Must wait a bit longer.

whitcap
02-14-2012, 06:27 PM

TimothyBFan
02-14-2012, 08:00 PM
Hmmmm, it's very close. Must wait a bit longer.

Hey, YOU!!!! Get in here and vote, especially if you're voting for River Of Dreams. :hilarious: If I've figured correctly, The One You Love has 7 votes and River Of Dreams has 5 votes. This ones a close one and looks as if might be going down to the wire.

GlennLover
02-14-2012, 08:25 PM
As much as I hate to do this, I'm casting my vote for "River of Dreams". I love it but I can't let TOYL go.

Glennhoney
02-14-2012, 08:39 PM
As much as I hate to do this, I'm casting my vote for "River of Dreams". I love it but I can't let TOYL go.

..thank you

02-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Well - It seems like every round in this game is another nailbiter. I am one who thinks River of Dreams is a much better song than The One You Love in just about every way - vocally, lyrically, musically, and even the arrangement in River of Dreams is much more interesting to me. But, obviously, lots of folks love TOYL, so we'll have to see how this goes down ...

UK TimFan
02-14-2012, 08:58 PM
My vote is for 'Part of me, part of you'.

02-14-2012, 09:08 PM
In another nailbiter of a round, the next song to be eliminated from Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor is The One You Love. “The One You Love” someone was going to cry when they knew they lost here and someone was going to thank the stars above. Unfortunately, you’ll be the one crying, so please leave the island immediately.

Votes
The One You Love – 8
River of Dreams – 6
Part of Me, Part of You – 1

Vote Breakdown
The One You Love – WildThyme
The One You Love – sodascouts
The One You Love – timfan
The One You Love – Freypower
The One You Love – Koala
The One You Love – EaglesKiwi
The One You Love – Henley Honey
The One You Love – Ive always been a dreamer
River of Dreams – TimothyBFan
River of Dreams – Mrs. Frey
River of Dreams – Topkat
River of Dreams – Glennhoney
River of Dreams – whitcap
River of Dreams – GlennLover
Part of Me, Part of You – UK TimFan

Songs eliminated:
Sexy Girl 1/25
Common Ground 1/27
Call on Me 1/31
The Heat is On 2/02
Soul Searchin' 2/06
Brave New World 2/08
I've Got Mine – 2/10
True Love 2/12
The One You Love 2/14

Songs remaining:
Smuggler's Blues
You Belong to the City
Part of Me, Part of You
River of Dreams

Voting for Round 12 begins now.

whitcap
02-14-2012, 09:14 PM

Freypower
02-14-2012, 09:33 PM
I hate to vote for River Of Dreams but I have to now. It has been lucky to get this far; I don't know if that is a testimony to how great it is or not. :-? But it can go now.

Glennhoney
02-14-2012, 10:11 PM
River of dreams it is..

02-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Well - if there are those out there that still want to save River of Dreams, you may consider banding together and voting for Smuggler's Blues - don't know if there are enough folks out there to form a coalition or not - but we'll see ...

timfan
02-14-2012, 11:00 PM
First off I have to say all four of the remaining songs are FANTASTIC! Each is memorable in it's own unique way. However, as I must choose one song to eliminate it's You Belong to the City.

Koala
02-15-2012, 12:58 AM
First off I have to say all four of the remaining songs are FANTASTIC!
I agree with you, totally!

It's so hard to decide for a song! I cast my vote for River of Dreams.

sodascouts
02-15-2012, 02:39 AM
Yes, they are all excellent.... but one has to go. I adore the romance of River of Dreams and the sexy rockin' of Smuggler's Blues - and POMPOY is one of the best pop songs ever written. So, as much as it pains me...

I cast my vote for You Belong to the City.

EaglesKiwi
02-15-2012, 03:13 AM
Oh, but I love You Belong To The City! And POMPOY. And Smugglers Blues. And River of Dreams...

But one has to go, so I'm voting for River of Dreams.

Mrs Frey
02-15-2012, 06:13 AM
I cast my vote for "River Of Dreams".

Nooooo, I can't believe anyone is voting for "You Belong To The City"!!! I come at you with full armoury!!! :machinegun::sword::robinhood::lightsaber:

:lol: :wink:

It's one of my favourites, that's all. :sad: It's hurting me bad. :cry:

Topkat
02-15-2012, 08:10 AM
Voting again for:

RIVER OF DREAMS

TimothyBFan
02-15-2012, 08:34 AM
I really never imagined that River Of Dreams would outlive The One You Love. :headscratch:

Sticking with my vote, think it's past time for it to go. I vote for River Of Dreams.

Brooke
02-15-2012, 11:38 AM
OMG! I actually did what I feared-forgot to vote last round! :blush: :headscratch:

Thankfully, it went the way I would have voted! If ROD would have gone first, I would have been a very sorry girl!

So, I'm going to go ahead and vote now just in case I get Alzheimer's again! :crazy:

My vote this time is for River of Dreams. I love it, I just don't think it is better than the rest.

UK TimFan
02-15-2012, 09:28 PM
My vote is for 'Smuggler's blues'.

Wildthyme
02-16-2012, 01:16 AM
Hard as it is to make the choice, my vote for elimination this round goes to You Belong to the City...

TimothyBFan
02-16-2012, 08:01 AM
I've said it before, the way this song starts out gives me chills every time!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yUmhsy3KuY

The way he sings "it's the nature of the business, it's the smuggler's blues"..... :thud:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7uKjo_URBo

02-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Well it looks like River of Dreams is going to finally be washed downstream. It is a gorgeous song, IMO, but I guess its time has come. I love all these remaining songs a lot, but I'm going to vote for the one I like least by just a smidgeon ...

I cast my vote for Smuggler's Blues.

Topkat
02-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Lot's of smoking going on in those videos!:smokin:

Henley Honey
02-16-2012, 02:29 PM
I remember reading that Glenn said he started smoking again when he began acting. Hopefully, he's quit!

I reluctantly vote for River of Dreams . . . . a lovely song, but one that doesn't stand up to the remaining picks IMHO.

Glennsallnighter
02-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Well IMHO justice has been done because I think of the four songs that are left what I would consider to be the 'top three' of this album are definitely up there and they stand out on their own. River of Dreams is a lovely sincere ballad that touches every emotion. And who wouldn't love to go walking off into the sunset on their River Of Dreams (all the better if it includes Glenn :heart:). But I don't consider it as much a classic or an all rounder as the other three. So for that reason I am voting off 'River Of Dreams' this round.

sodascouts
02-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Its strong support due to its quality enabled it to get this far, but the next song to be eliminated from Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor is River of Dreams. “River of Dreams,” I think you've gotta leave this place behind. The tribe has spoken. It's time for you to go. Please leave the island immediately.

The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
River of Dreams - 11
You Belong to the City - 3
Smuggler's Blues - 2

Vote Breakdown
River of Dreams - whitcap
River of Dreams - Freypower
River of Dreams - Glennhoney
River of Dreams - Koala
River of Dreams - EaglesKiwi
River of Dreams - Mrs Frey
River of Dreams - Topkat
River of Dreams - TimothyBFan
River of Dreams - Brooke
River of Dreams - Henley Honey
River of Dreams - Glennsallnighter
You Belong to the City - timfan
You Belong to the City - sodascouts
You Belong to the City - Wildthyme
Smuggler's Blues - UK TimFan
Smuggler's Blues - Ive always been a dreamer

Songs eliminated:
Sexy Girl 1/25
Common Ground 1/27
Call on Me 1/31
The Heat is On 2/02
Soul Searchin' 2/06
Brave New World 2/08
I've Got Mine 2/10
True Love 2/12
The One You Love 2/14
River of Dreams 2/16

Songs remaining:
Smuggler's Blues
You Belong to the City
Part of Me, Part of You

Voting for Round 13 begins now.

timfan
02-16-2012, 09:10 PM
I vote for You Belong to the City. I do believe the correct songs made it to the top three. While I like YBTTC, I find POMPOY and Smugglers Blues to be slightly more enjoyable for me.

Glennhoney
02-16-2012, 09:22 PM
You belong to the city is my vote....

Freypower
02-16-2012, 09:24 PM
I agree. I also vote for You Belong To The City.

02-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Although I absolutely LOVE all the remaining songs, we are getting down to the wire so I’m going to start trying to make a case for why I think that You Belong To the City is the best of them all and why I would like to see it win this game.

As I’ve said before, almost all of the songs in the game are very enjoyable and we all have our favorites, but I believe that YBTTC is the most artistic, sophisticated, original, and creative song that Glenn has ever recorded. Here’s why …

The MUSIC – The compelling music helps drive the theme of this song in a way that is rarely seen. One of the most recognizable sax solos ever starts out almost mournfully at the opening before it hits you full force. It is then followed by the steady throbbing beat that makes you feel immersed in the urban life the lyrics describe. The contrast in the pace perfectly fits the song’s conflicting themes of isolation on the busy city streets.

The LYRICS – In a sense, it’s almost like the music drives the lyrics – it makes me wonder what came first – the music or the lyrics?? But one thing I believe for sure – the combination of the two is about as cinematic as you can get in a song. To me, the lyrics, melody, and the cadence of the verses eloquently convey a constant sense of motion, which again ties into the idea of “living in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights”. The way Glenn paints imagery with words in this song is so effective in conveying the mood.

The VOCALS – Glenn’s incredible vocals in this song take the song to yet another level. The awesome understated delivery of the verses in the songs serves to make the sax solos even more potent when they come in. The understated delivery also contrasts with the powerful music to very effectively extenuate the song’s message of loneliness and isolation of the city in the midst of the intoxicating crowds and activity.

I believe this masterfully arranged song is the crowning achievement of Glenn’s solo career. And if everything that I wrote above isn’t enough, this was, deservedly, his biggest and most recognizable hit (along with The Heat Is On). So I’m hoping others will join me in saving YBTTC and send it on to victory in the final round.

Freypower
02-16-2012, 09:57 PM
That's a very compelling argument, Dreamer, except that I would apply everything you wrote to Part Of Me, Part Of You as well. I don't disagree about YTBBC; but POMPOY has more personal significance for me, even if it wasn't a hit and I will never see it played live.

02-16-2012, 10:01 PM
For reasons stated above ...

I cast my vote for Smuggler's Blues.

It's not that I don't love the song because I do. I even named my precious little puppy Smuggler after the song. It's just that I believe YBTTC is the best of the best of Glenn's solo work (I would've named my puppy after this song, but I didn't think it would work. :lol: )

sodascouts
02-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Dreamer, I appreciate your impassioned defense and I agree that You Belong to the City is an excellent song. However, I simply prefer the other two. Thus, with a heavy heart...

"Smuggler's Blues" has those hot guitar licks. It has Glenn doing that sexy growl with his voice. It's a full-on rocker whereas YBTTC is more of a slow cooker - not that there's anything wrong with that, but I love it when Glenn takes it to the wall like he does in SB. I blast this sucker in my car and just rock out.

As for "Part of Me, Part of You".... as I said earlier, it just fills my heart. I love it. I. LOVE. IT. Here's something I wrote about it a while back, and it's still just as true today:

"Part of Me, Part of You" is the kind of song that can change your mood, that can lift you up... the best kind of song, in other words. The sweeping melody that brings you along with it as it rises - "Until we find the bridge across forever - until this grand illusion brings us home"; "Whatever time may take away, it cannot change the way we feel today." Just a couple examples of a song that is moving throughout. And his vocal... what can I say but WOW? It has such power, packs such an emotional impact. This is my absolute favorite of his entire catalog; in fact, it's one of my favorites by ANY artist. EVER.

It's no secret that I'm rooting for "Part of Me, Part of You" to take home the prize in this competition.

Koala
02-17-2012, 12:53 AM

EaglesKiwi
02-17-2012, 04:26 AM
I vote for Smugglers Blues.

Mrs Frey
02-17-2012, 06:38 AM
Oh, dearie me. The CHOICES we have to make in this game. I'm in despair. Is there a "wringing hands" emoticon? :sad:

If we HAVE to vote one off, I cast my vote (despairingly) for "Smuggler's Blues".

I love the song - but I prefer the other two.

And I can't believe that "You Belong To The City" seems to be going down in this round! It's a wonderful song, and it's my favourite! It's a great song and Glenn's :heart: vocal is one of his best.

TimothyBFan
02-17-2012, 09:37 AM
I TOTALLY agree with you, Dreamer!!!!

Sorry Soda but I'm voting for Part Of Me, Part Of You.

Brooke
02-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Willie! Blasphemy! :lol:

Dreamer and Soda, you both provide very stirring arguments for and against these last songs, but alas, I will have to vote with my heart and for the one that gets me.

Even though I love it, something has to go this time and for me, Smugglers Blues is the one. I just love the other two more.

02-17-2012, 11:17 AM
For those of you who believe that YBTTC is a better song than one or both of these others, I urge you to join in a coalition to save it this round. The only way to do that at this point is to not split the vote and band together to vote for Smuggler’s Blues. Sure Smuggler’s Blues is a rockin’ song with hot guitar licks and a sexy growl, but if you think YBTTC is better and deserves to be in the final round, then …

Save You Belong To the City!!!

Vote for Smuggler's Blues!!!

Topkat
02-17-2012, 11:45 AM
I see this is a battle between SB & YBTTC & I cannot vote for either of these songs, so my vote goes to
PART OF ME, PART OF YOU

UK TimFan
02-17-2012, 12:31 PM
My vote is for Smuggler's blues.

Glennsallnighter
02-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Well firstly my humble opinion is that the best three songs on this compilation are left to fight out this battle. Which is just as it should be! And realy I don't mind which song wins even though I love them all. But I just love POMPOY and YBTTC a little bit more! So this round my vote goes for Smugglers Blues.

sodascouts
02-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Right now Smuggler's Blues has one more vote than YBTTC, unless I miscounted.

Those who have yet to vote.... You can make the difference!

Save SMUGGLER'S BLUES!!!!

Vote YOU BELONG TO THE CITY!!!!

Freypower
02-17-2012, 04:54 PM
I can't believe there are votes for POMPOY. Oh well. :depressed: :cry:

whitcap
02-17-2012, 06:53 PM
I have no idea what to vote for. I don't want any of them to go :ack: I'm gonna wait a little longer before I vote.

timfan
02-17-2012, 07:04 PM
I also would like to encourage others:

Vote You Belong to the City

and

Save Smugglers Blues!

:band:

02-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Well, I guess since there are these posts on this page urging folks to vote for Smuggler’s Blues that I better play it safe and post again for the benefit of those that may not go back and read the previous pages. :wink:

In truth, all three of the remaining songs are awesome and it’s natural that people have their favorite for their own personal reasons. I correctly anticipated that this round would be a close, hotly contested battle between two great songs, You Belong To the City and Smuggler’s Blues. So in a previous post, I put some of time and thought into trying to make a strong case for You Belong To the City because I think it is the best song. I wanted to try to give folks some other things to consider who were on the fence. I was also hoping that my post would encourage those who vote for Smuggler’s Blues to rebut my comments and make a case for why they think it deserves to be in the final round. So again, I urge anyone who is conflicted about what to vote for to consider the previous arguments that have been made. I already said which one I think is best and why, and I hope my argument will persuade others. So sorry to repeat myself, but …

Save You Belong To the City!!!

Vote for Smuggler's Blues!!!

Freypower
02-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Smuggler's Blues deserves to be in the final round because it's so different from Glenn's other work. Until the Strange Weather album he just didn't do songs like this. It has a message, it has brilliant slide guitar & it has one of his best ever vocals. It's just compelling from start to finish. In musical terms I rank the slide guitar above the sax & keyboards, I guess, and I think the vocal is more exciting throughout, as opposed to YBTTC where he sings most of it in a very understated way except for the chorus & bridge. I love the way he sings YBTTC (on the original recording; not so much how he was doing it on the F1 tour or how he did it the second night at Niagara Falls) but he has also given Smuggler's Blues a new dimension now with that slower arrangement (which I know that Soda doesn't like, but it blows me away). Perhaps YBTTC is easier to relate to lyrically; haven't all of us who live in big cities felt like we're alone and yet we belong? But the lyric of SB is timely & accurate & it still packs a punch.

I should say that I saw two of the best performances of both songs in 1995 (you can see what I saw if you watch the Christchurch DVD) and I am very grateful that I did. While I prefer SB I won't mind if YBTTC survives....

as long as it doesn't win. Like Soda, I make no secret of my desire to see POMPOY win this game.

02-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks for your post, FP. You make some good points about Smuggler's Blues and I agree with most of what you said. However, I really don't see where the song is so different from other material that Glenn has recorded. The Strange Weather album aside, he has done several other 'message' songs in his solo career - Soul Searchin', Livin' Right, Common Ground, and, of course, You Belong To the City to name a few.

sodascouts
02-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Smuggler's Blues also has a wildness to it that YBTTC lacks. Whether or not you think that is a good thing depends on your personality!

Freypower
02-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Thanks for your post, FP. You make some good points about Smuggler's Blues and I agree with most of what you said. However, I really don't see where the song is so different from other material that Glenn has recorded. The Strange Weather album aside, he has done several other 'message' songs in his solo career - Soul Searchin', Livin' Right, Common Ground, and, of course, You Belong To the City to name a few.

It's different because it's about a specific political/economic situation. It names countries affected by the drug trade. It also tells a story & not that many of Glenn's solo songs do that because they tend to be about relationships (pre-Strange Weather). The other songs you mention apart from Livin' Right, which is a personal message, are far more abstract. 'Let's all strive to build a new world together' is admirable but does not raise specific issues. I'm not sure what the message of YBTTC is except perhaps that people have to make the best of their situation. I'm not sure that just describing the isolation & loneliness of a city as you pointed out in a previous post, is a 'message' but perhaps this is just semantics. Perhaps the narrative of SB doesn't convey a 'message' either. :-?

Henley Honey
02-17-2012, 10:19 PM
I love, love, love all the remaining songs but I have to vote to save You Belong To The City. So, reluctantly, I vote for Smuggler's Blues.:cry:

Windeagle
02-17-2012, 11:33 PM
I'm not voting in this round, but while reading the discussion, it suddenly struck me that both YBTTC and SB, two of Glenn's most diametrically different songs, both appeared in Miami Vice. I don't know why this interested me, except that it points out that the guy has quite a range, from city slick to snarly blues.

Anyway, carry on...

Wildthyme
02-18-2012, 03:10 AM
Its so hard to have to make this choice but I think I must vote for You Belong to the City for elimination this round.

Ouch... that hurt :cry:

Glennsallnighter
02-18-2012, 05:05 AM
Everything hurts at this stage WT! To be honest I just voted for SB because of the two in contention to be eliminated this round (I don't count POMPOY here as it's obvious it will survive) I prefer YBTTC! Nothing any deeper than that I'm afraid!

Topkat
02-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Really wish I could change my vote because I would vote for Smugglers Blues instead, now that I see IN the City is really in danger! CRAP

I just hate the whole idea of Smugglers Blues, the message. The song is good, but in terms of it's meaning, it should GO!

Glennsallnighter
02-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Really wish I could change my vote because I would vote for Smugglers Blues instead, now that I see IN the City is really in danger! CRAP

I just hate the whole idea of Smugglers Blues, the message. The song is good, but in terms of it's meaning, it should GO!

I guess you mean 'You Belong To The City' here TK. But you voted according to your convictions as regards SB. And you have every right to do that. Remember too that regardless of what goes down on this vote you will still have a choice for winner. However I feel the meaning of SB is as relevant today as it was when it was written. I can't comment about the USA. But here in Ireland the drug culture and the importation of illegal narcotics is still as big an issue today as it ever was.

Topkat
02-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Yes, GA, I did mean YBTTC. Thanks for the correction. It won't matter anyway, I can't change my vote. All 3 songs left are great, so let the chips fall where they may!

TimothyBFan
02-18-2012, 04:23 PM
I know how we all could of saved YBTTC and SB.... you all could of voted like I did and no problem, both saved. :shrug: :nahnah: Like you all know, I always vote with my heart and I love both of these songs more that POMPOY.

Freypower
02-18-2012, 05:25 PM

Why What is it about the song you dislike? If it has a message it is that the drug trade has spiralled out of control & apparently nothing can be done about it. While this may be uncomfortable to hear, it would appear to be a fact.

The story told in the song is a basic narrative of drug smuggling. I don't see it as condoning drug smuggling in any way. I hope that isn't what you think; apologies if I am wrong.

To me it was a refreshing change for Glenn to write a type of song that a lot of people only associated with Don Henley. But it's Dirty Laundry the band still play, not this song.

Topkat
02-18-2012, 07:25 PM
FP, First off, I didn't say that I don't like the song, I just don't like the theme of it, or the fact that it's about drug smugglers. I like You Belong to the City better than SB & to save YBTTC, I wished I had voted for SB. It's just that my vote for POMPOY seemed to be a wasted vote because of the voting block.

whitcap
02-18-2012, 08:11 PM
I vote for Smugglers Blues.

sodascouts
02-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Another close round, but the next song to be eliminated from Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor is Smuggler's Blues. “Smuggler's Blues,” at the risk of being trite... I'm sorry it went down like this, but someone had to lose. The tribe has spoken. It's time for you to go. Please leave the island immediately.

The remaining two songs - "You Belong to the City" and "Part of Me, Part of You" - please step forward. We're going to have our final vote now where we pick which one of you will be the winner of GLENN FREY SOLO SURVIVOR.

Votes
Smuggler's Blues - 8
You Belong to the City - 6
Part of Me, Part of You - 2

Vote Breakdown
Smuggler's Blues - Ive always been a dreamer
Smuggler's Blues - EaglesKiwi
Smuggler's Blues - Mrs Frey
Smuggler's Blues - Brooke
Smuggler's Blues - UK TimFan
Smuggler's Blues - Glennsallnighter
Smuggler's Blues - Henley Honey
Smuggler's Blues - whitcap
You Belong to the City - timfan
You Belong to the City - Glennhoney
You Belong to the City - Freypower
You Belong to the City - sodascouts
You Belong to the City - Koala
You Belong to the City - Wildthyme
Part of Me, Part of You - TimothyBFan
Part of Me, Part of You - Topkat

Songs eliminated:
Sexy Girl 1/25
Common Ground 1/27
Call on Me 1/31
The Heat is On 2/02
Soul Searchin' 2/06
Brave New World 2/08
I've Got Mine 2/10
True Love 2/12
The One You Love 2/14
River of Dreams 2/16
Smuggler's Blues 2/18

Songs remaining:
You Belong to the City
Part of Me, Part of You

Alright! We’re at the last round. This round is special, so it’s done differently. We’re not going to vote for the song we want to go. We’re going to vote for the song we want to win. This is how they do it on the real show, after all. Once again...

Vote for the song you want to win.

Voting for the final round begins NOW!

UK TimFan
02-18-2012, 09:02 PM
My vote is for 'You belong to the city'

sodascouts
02-18-2012, 09:02 PM
This is a no-brainer for me. As I've said before, "Part of Me, Part of You" is one of my favorite songs EVER. If I'm in the right mood, in can even bring tears to my eyes. Love. Love. Love. this song.

My vote goes to...
PART OF ME, PART OF YOU FOR THE WIN!!!!

whitcap
02-18-2012, 09:04 PM
You Belong to the City for the win.

Glennsallnighter
02-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Well theres no question here! It has to be....

the amazing.....

the uplifting.....

the all encompassing.....

PART OF ME PART OF YOU

For me this is one of the best songs ever written and one of Glenn :heart:'s finest ever. IMHO it deserves to be the winner of this survivor....

Glennhoney
02-18-2012, 09:20 PM
PART OF ME, PART OF YOU...........FOREVER!!

sodascouts
02-18-2012, 09:36 PM
BTW if there is anyone reading this thread who is not familiar with the magnificent song "Part of Me, Part of You", you can check out the video here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x76cba_youtube-glenn-frey-part-of-me-part_shortfilms

or check it out here:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/moviestv/pompoy.htm

sodascouts
02-18-2012, 09:42 PM
And I love the lyrics so much I made them the texture of the wallpaper (they're very light, depending on your screen brightness, except for one line - hence their role as texture rather than foreground).

Here it is, if anyone's curious. I apologize for the omission of punctuation, but it just looked better that way design-wise.

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/WPStrangeWeatherA.jpg

timfan
02-18-2012, 09:45 PM
No question.....

PART OF ME, PART OF YOU FOR THE WIN!!!

:yay::yay::yay:

02-19-2012, 12:41 AM
Wow Soda! Your wallpaper with that picture reminded me of a very special version that I have of that same picture - one of my most cherished possessions ...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/kay8342/GF_autograph.jpg

sodascouts
02-19-2012, 12:47 AM
Gosh, yes..... and the memories are even more precious than the autographs.

Whatever time may take away... it cannot change the way we feel today.

02-19-2012, 12:58 AM
So very true! Whew - my mind went back to some incredible places and memories when I posted the above picture, but now I'll get back to the game ...

I am very grateful that You Belong To the City is here. Honestly, it would have been an incredible travesty if neither of Glenn's biggest solo hits had made it into the final round of this game, IMHO.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, these two remaining songs are the ones that should be here. Make no mistake, they are both amazing songs and I won't be terribly upset no matter which one survives. They are both very worthy. However, as I said in the last round, to me, You Belong To the City is the best of the best. Both of these songs have amazing lyrics and vocals, but the brilliant way that the music is used to help drive the theme of the song is what sets You Belong To the City apart for me. Therefore ...

I cast my vote for You Belong To the City for the win!!!

Wildthyme
02-19-2012, 03:03 AM

Koala
02-19-2012, 03:17 AM

EaglesKiwi
02-19-2012, 04:21 AM
You Belong To The City for the win!

Glennsallnighter
02-19-2012, 05:24 AM
Wow Soda! Your wallpaper with that picture reminded me of a very special version that I have of that same picture - one of my most cherished possessions ...

WOW Dreamer! Now that IS special :inlove:

To be honest, I love both songs and while I have voted for my favourite, I'm no way miffed if YBTTC wins!n

Topkat
02-19-2012, 08:04 AM
YOU BELONG TO THE CITY FOR THE WIN

Glennhoney
02-19-2012, 02:11 PM

Oh WOW...how did you ever get that?
:heart:

02-19-2012, 02:26 PM
GH - This is the first thing I asked Glenn to autograph on my very first day at Pebble Beach in 2007. Like Soda said, the very special memories of our times meeting Glenn will last me a lifetime. I will always be grateful for the opportunities I've had.

TimothyBFan
02-19-2012, 03:16 PM
You Belong To The City for the win!!

Brooke
02-19-2012, 04:38 PM
one of my most cherished possessions ...

Wow Kay, that is just FABULOUS! :cool: Had to bring it forward! And I'm so :jealous:

And my vote is for my favorite Glenn song EVER:

PART OF ME, PART OF YOU for the win!

Love it, love it, love it! Always makes me feel good! :nod:

Freypower
02-19-2012, 04:52 PM
The first time we played this game the vote for POMPOY to win was unanimous. It will obviously be a lot closer this time.

I can't defend POMPOY to those who prefer YBTTC. I can only say that the song has deep personal significance for me (it brought me back to Glenn after I tried to give him up) For me it is the standout track of Glenn's solo career and his best non-Eagles vocal, it is incredibly moving and uplifting, yet it can also make me cry. It is a life changing piece of work.

PART OF ME, PART OF YOU TO WIN!!!!

Freypower
02-19-2012, 04:54 PM
So very true! Whew - my mind went back to some incredible places and memories when I posted the above picture, but now I'll get back to the game ...

I am very grateful that You Belong To the City is here. Honestly, it would have been an incredible travesty if neither of Glenn's biggest solo hits had made it into the final round of this game, IMHO.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, these two remaining songs are the ones that should be here. Make no mistake, they are both amazing songs and I won't be terribly upset no matter which one survives. They are both very worthy. However, as I said in the last round, to me, You Belong To the City is the best of the best. Both of these songs have amazing lyrics and vocals, but the brilliant way that the music is used to help drive the theme of the song is what sets You Belong To the City apart for me. Therefore ...

I cast my vote for You Belong To the City for the win!!!

I think the music drives the theme of POMPOY too, for what it's worth. It positively pounds along and then it gets quiet when he gets to the 'reflective' part ('I look at you'). Then it lets loose again. It's perfect.

Glennhoney
02-19-2012, 05:48 PM
GH - This is the first thing I asked Glenn to autograph on my very first day at Pebble Beach in 2007. Like Soda said, the very special memories of our times meeting Glenn will last me a lifetime. I will always be grateful for the opportunities I've had.

WOW...what did he say when he saw it???...he must've been surprised...did you tell him he should sing this song at concerts?..lol:applause:

sodascouts
02-19-2012, 06:31 PM
The music for POMPOY builds until it soars, taking your spirits along with it. When I'm in a certain mood, its message of comfort and hope in the face of life's challenges makes me choke up.

When I think about it, YBTTC is almost its diametric opposite in mood and theme; hope vs. hopelessness; peace vs. restlessness; spiritual progression vs. an unrelenting cycle where nothing ever changes; strength through love vs. resignation to perpetual loneliness, even in a crowd. I'm not surprised at the split because different things speak to different people.

The only reason it was unanimous last time was because the only people playing (with the exception of timfan) were hardcore Glenn fans and, as a rule, the hardcores are drawn to the warm glow that emanates from Glenn's impassioned vocal, moving lyrics, and uplifting music in POMPOY. Meanwhile, non-hardcores might appreciate the familiar hit more; it certainly is a worthy song as well. Obviously there are exceptions, but that does seem to be a generalized pattern.

I find this last round really interesting. It will definitely be down to the wire.

02-19-2012, 09:42 PM
WOW...what did he say when he saw it???...he must've been surprised...did you tell him he should sing this song at concerts?..lol:applause:

Actually, GH, I did in fact tell Glenn that he should perform some songs from Strange Weather in his solo shows. His response to my suggestion was a noncommittal facial smirk. :lol: And now, five years later, he has yet to heed my advice. :shrug: :wink:

If you are interested in reading more, here is a link to the Pebble Beach thread. If you don't care to read the entire thread, our exchange is on page 16, post #160.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241&page=16

And now, regarding POMPOY, I agree with everything that has been said. I guess though, I am the exceptional hardcore. In the previous game, I voted for the song even though I stated that I preferred YBTTC. I just thought it would be cool to make the vote unanimous since that had never happened before. I just believe that the music in YBTTC is a bit more dramatic and effective and I prefer Glenn's vocals in the song slightly more than I do in POMPOY. This in no way is intended as a dig against POMPOY though. Both of these songs are magnificent and on a scale of 1 - 5, they are the only two songs in Glenn's solo catalog that I would rate a 5+. As a said previously, I won't be too unhappy no matter what the final outcome is in this game. Both of these songs are HUGE winners in my book! :wink: :nod:

Mrs Frey
02-20-2012, 06:39 AM
I would just like to say that I think both "Part Of Me Part Of You" and "You Belong To The City" are excellent songs. Enough has been said about both songs by all of you - I don't really have anything to add.

In the end, "You Belong To The City" is my favourite of the two. I love the song. I love it so much that I'm planning to include it as part of my show repertoire soon. I love to hear Glenn :heart: sing it with his soaring, beautiful voice, and I love to sing it, and only hope that I do it justice.

POMPOY is a beautiful song with beautiful lyrics, and it's a song that has moved me to tears. In the mood I am in now, I will probably cry if I listen to it. Glenn :heart: sings it beautifully, but somehow, I just prefer his vocal in YBTTC, and in the end, I'm a great fan of great vocals, and YBTTC just does it for me.

I don't know if our preferences here have anything to do with being a hard-core fan or not. I consider myself a HUGE fan of Glenn's :heart: - huge enough that I flew all the way to London from South Africa to see him perform with the Eagles four years ago (and I was motivated more by Glenn :heart: than the other boys, as much as I love them too), but I still find myself preferring YBTTC. It may have been a commercial hit, but it doesn't make it any less of a great song.

So, after all that, I cast my vote for YOU BELONG TO THE CITY to win!

sodascouts
02-20-2012, 07:43 AM
Well, back in those days, you voted for POMPOY! lol That unanimous vote was part of the basis for my thesis.

At any rate, as I said before, I was making an overall generalization. Certainly there are also some hardcore fans who prefer YBTTC, as you and Dreamer demonstrate.

Mrs Frey
02-20-2012, 08:44 AM
LOL! Did I? Goodness, I can't even remember that.:headscratch: :lol:

Well, I still love POMPOY - I've probably just grown to love YBTTC more over time. :)

sodascouts
02-20-2012, 08:58 AM
The only reason I remember was that it was so remarkable to have a unanimous vote on the final round. It's never happened before or since.

But yeah, things change!

UK TimFan
02-20-2012, 10:54 AM
The only reason the vote was unanimous the last time was because dreamer deliberately changed her vote to make it so.
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30835&postcount=217

Henley Honey
02-20-2012, 02:11 PM
I vote for Part Of Me, Part Of You for the win!!!
This song never fails to lift my spirits. :applause:

sodascouts
02-20-2012, 04:10 PM
The only reason the vote was unanimous the last time was because dreamer deliberately changed her vote to make it so.

Correction: Dreamer did not change a vote she had cast. No one is allowed to do that.

However, she did decide to vote for POMPOY because she thought it would be neat to make it unanimous. As we've said before, people can vote for a song for whatever reason they like. :shrug:

The fact remains that the vote was unanimous.

However, if it pleases you to think of it as a landslide victory with only one dissenting vote, feel free. That would still be the widest margin of victory of any of the final rounds of our Survivor games.... so if your point was to knock POMPOY down a peg, it didn't slip too far. :lol:

As for her vote being "deliberate" - yeah, most votes are...

At any rate, as things are now, it looks like YBTTC is gonna take it. We'll see!

Glennsallnighter
02-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Well I love YBTTC too so it doesn't really matter a huge amount to me which wins anyway.

sodascouts
02-20-2012, 04:17 PM
I agree GA. While YBTTC doesn't hold the place in my heart that POMPOY does, it is still brilliant.

GlennLover
02-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Sorry I missed the last two rounds. I wasn't able to get on the computer for a couple of days & when I logged in late last night I was a bit surprised by the way the vote has gone. I don't think my vote would have made any difference in either round.

This round I love both songs, but neither one of them was my choice for the winner. So, only because I tend to listen to one song more than the other,

I vote YOU BELONG TO THE CITY for the win.

Freypower
02-20-2012, 05:41 PM
I wish I had some idea how to convince people how wonderful POMPOY is. I tend to assume people see it the same way I do and that apparently is not the case. :-(

timfan
02-20-2012, 06:16 PM
I wish I had some idea how to convince people how wonderful POMPOY is. I tend to assume people see it the same way I do and that apparently is not the case. :-(

I certainly agree and I think many others do to.. I've just counted and if I counted correctly POMPOY is currently ahead slightly.

They are both great songs and it really could go either way :)

UK TimFan
02-20-2012, 06:22 PM

Correction: Dreamer did not change a vote she had cast. No one is allowed to do that.
I do hate it when people express themselves badly :smile: (or would :blush: be more correct?) though anyone who read the link should realise from her wording that dreamer did not change a previously-cast vote, and therefore that was not what I meant.
I gave the link so that everyone could see the reason why it was a unanimous vote. I should perhaps have also shown the final voting list, because as soda said earlier when talking about 'hardcore fans' and commenting that Mrs Frey had changed her mind about her 'song to win' this time, when you have different people voting you will (usually) get different results.
And that's without anyone changing their mind about which is their favourite song 'at that time'. Witness the number of times people compile their list of '10 favourite songs/albums ever by a/any specific artist/band' and then qualify it by saying 'but it might be different tomorrow'. :grin:
I know I changed my mind completely about the order of songs between the 'one week to go' and the start of playing 'Desperado Survivor'. :smile:

UK TimFan
02-20-2012, 06:34 PM
I think that we all say that about our really favourite songs (as opposed to songs that we just 'like a lot'). :smile:
In each Survivor by the third round I'm usually going :stunned: :crazy: :jawdrop: and :headscratch: at the songs people are choosing to vote off. Sometimes I even do it in the first round. :grin:

sodascouts
02-20-2012, 06:58 PM
I know it's tough when a song you really love doesn't win - I've certainly been there. Most of the time my favorite doesn't win!

However, it's the journey that I love. I love reading what everyone thinks of songs, why one person likes something and why someone else doesn't, and just having an excuse to discuss the ins and outs of Glenn's work. These Survivors are fun for me even if my favorite goes down the tubes in the first round (although admittedly that doesn't put a smile on my face at the time, lol).

All this to say - don't get too down in the dumps if your fave doesn't pull through. It doesn't make the song any less special and - for me at least - these close rounds are exciting. A unanimous* vote for POMPOY was cool the last time, but this time sure is more suspenseful.

*with the understanding that Dreamer truly prefers YBTTC

02-20-2012, 08:11 PM
*with the understanding that Dreamer truly prefers YBTTC

Ha! I sure fooled y'all - being the conniving, nasty, lowlife, poor excuse of a human being that I am ... this was all part of another one of my evil plots to try to throw yet another Survivor game! I will never reveal the song I really love best because I may need it to plan my next dastardly deed!!! :fear:

timfan
02-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Down to the final moments...It's crunch time! :rockon:

sodascouts
02-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Well, it was anybody's game right up to the last minute, but when it finally came down to it, the winner of the Glenn Frey Solo Collection Survivor is....

PART OF ME, PART OF YOU!

Votes
Part of Me, Part of You - 9
You Belong to the City - 8

Vote Breakdown
Part of Me, Part of You - SodaScouts
Part of Me, Part of You - Glennsallnighter
Part of Me, Part of You - Glennhoney
Part of Me, Part of You - timfan
Part of Me, Part of You - Wildthyme
Part of Me, Part of You - Koala
Part of Me, Part of You - Brooke
Part of Me, Part of You - Freypower
Part of Me, Part of You - Henley Honey
You Belong to the City - UK TimFan
You Belong to the City - whitcap
You Belong to the City - Ive always been a dreamer
You Belong to the City - EaglesKiwi
You Belong to the City - Topkat
You Belong to the City - TimothyBFan
You Belong to the City - Mrs Frey
You Belong to the City - GlennLover

Songs Eliminated:
Sexy Girl 1/25
Common Ground 1/27
Call on Me 1/31
The Heat is On 2/02
Soul Searchin' 2/06
Brave New World 2/08
I've Got Mine 2/10
True Love 2/12
The One You Love 2/14
River of Dreams 2/16
Smuggler's Blues 2/18
You Belong to the City 2/20

Congrats, PART OF ME, PART OF YOU!

To celebrate,

Listen to the Glenn perform this in a medley with Lyin' Eyes and Take It Easy:

Osaka 1992
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/LEPOMPOYTIEOsaka92.mp3

Unfortunately, we don't have any video downloads of Glenn performing the song. He never performed the song live in its entirety - only as part of a medley.

Hope you enjoyed the game. Thanks for playing, everybody!

sodascouts
02-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Here's another source for the video if you want to stream it - again, only available in the States, I believe. :(

http://music.yahoo.com/videos/Glenn+Frey/Part+Of+Me,+Part+Of+You--2166024

If you want to download the video, just use GFO's video page for it.

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/moviestv/pompoy.htm

Freypower
02-20-2012, 10:52 PM
I will just say, if I may, that I am delighted with this result.

ETA: I was the person who initially mentioned that the first game vote for POMPOY to win had been unanimous. Regardless of how this was achieved, it has never been done before or since, and I thought it was a tribute to how much most people loved the song. As Soda said, the close vote this time may be more representative, but 'it cannot change the way we (we meaning POMPOY fans) feel today'.

And Soda's banner is beautiful. I wish I had the skill to make something like that. All I can do is put text on top of a photo (my current banner was made by someone else).

GlennLover
02-20-2012, 11:12 PM
Both songs are so great I couldn't be disappointed with either one winning!:applause: :thumbsup:

Windeagle
02-20-2012, 11:19 PM
What an exciting game! Thanks to all of you for introducing me to parts of Glenn's solo catalog that I've never heard before.

Koala
02-21-2012, 12:11 AM
Congrats Part of me Part of you!
It was a great and interesting game, thanks!

TimothyBFan
02-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Wow, that was a close one!!! Can't say I'm upset that my song didn't win because love POMPOY also so win/win!!

On the shallow side-----I can't stop looking at your banner, Soda!!! It's freakin' gorgeous!!!!

02-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Congratulations to Part of Me, Part of You - a very deserving winner.

But congratulations to You Belong To the City as well - who knows ... if we did this again next week you may be the winner.

As I said before both songs are winners as far as I'm concerned - the two true masterpieces of Glenn's solo career for me.

Actually, there really are some great songs on this album. It was very difficult for me to vote most of these songs off in any round. I'll post the songs in the order I prefer them as I usually do and if enough folks post their list, I'll compile the results. So here goes ...

1. You Belong to the City (yes, it really is my favorite) :thumbsup:
2. Part of Me, Part of You
3. River of Dreams
4. The Heat Is On
5. Smuggler's Blues
6. I've Got Mine
7. True Love
8. Soul Searchin'
9. Common Ground
10. This Way To Happiness
11. Brave New World
12. The One You Love
13. Call on Me
14. Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed
15. Sexy Girl

Glennsallnighter
02-21-2012, 02:52 PM
CONGRATULATIONS TO POMPOY FROM ME TOO

and IMHO a worthy winner!

Although I do love YBTTC too and wouldn't have minded at all it it had been the one to triumph. Who knows, maybe if we do this game again soe time it may be the victor!

This is the order I would place the Solo Collection songs in

1. Part Of Me Part Of You
2. You Belong To The City
3. Smugglers Blues
4. River Of Dreams
5. True Love
6. The Heat Is On
7. Brave New World
8. Whose Been Sleeping In my Bed
9. The One You Love
10 This Way To Happiness
11. Soul Searchin
12. Common Ground
13 Call On me
14. I've Got Mine
15. Sexy Girl

But that is how I feel now! Ask me the same question next week and its quite possible some of the minor placings will be reversed!

Once again, thanks to Soda for all her hard work and dedication getting this Survivor off the ground!!

I reviewed this album on Amazon a few months ago. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A3GQO85HEJK8Q0/ref=cm_cr_pr_auth_rev?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview

Brooke
02-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Congrats to Part of Me, Part of You! :yay:

I'm very happy it came out on top, but YBTTC was my number 2, so it wouldn't have hurt me too bad if it won. Both are very deserving songs, POMPOY just gets me more!

Here's my list:

1. Part of Me, Part of You
2. You Belong to the City
3. Smugglers Blues
4. River of Dreams
5. I've Got Mine
6. The Heat is On
7. True Love
8. This Way to Happiness
9. The One You Love
10.Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed
11.Soul Searchin'
12.Brave New World
13.Call on Me
14.Common Ground
15.Sexy Girl

I really enjoyed playing and all the discussion of the songs. :nod:

Windeagle
02-21-2012, 04:13 PM
I didn't feel it was right for me to play the game since there are several songs in the collection that I don't know. However, in the later rounds, I was DYING to participate. So here's how I would have voted, separating out the songs I don't know well:

1. Smugglers Blues
2. Part of Me, Part of You
3. Brave New World
4. True Love
5. River of Dreams
6. Soul Searchin'
7. You Belong to the City
8. I've Got Mine
9. The One You Love
10.The Heat is On
11.Sexy Girl

Songs I need to become better acquainted with:

1. This Way to Happiness
2. Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed
3. Call on Me
4. Common Ground

Freypower
02-21-2012, 04:18 PM
This is my order of preference:

1. Part Of Me, Part Of You
2. Smuggler's Blues
3. You Belong To The City
4. River Of Dreams
5. This Way To Happiness
6. True Love
7. Common Ground
8. Call On Me
9. Brave New World
10. The One You Love
11. I've Got Mine
12. Soul Searchin'
13. The Heat Is On
14. Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed
15. Sexy Girl

sodascouts
02-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the kind words about my banner! I'll post my faves later. Not time now!

VAisForEagleLovers
02-22-2012, 01:36 PM
My neighbors do not appreciate Part of Me, Part of You at all. It's difficult to sing and I never let that stop me. For myself, as I mentioned before, it used to be my favorite Glenn song. However since I've just recently seen the movie, seeing Gina Davis and picturing a car going over a cliff has ruined it for me. Smugglers Blues gives me several very nice images to work with, so I'd have to say it's my new fave.

Brooke
02-22-2012, 02:37 PM
I'm sorry the movie ruined it for you VA. I haven't watched it for a long time, but I thought it was a good movie. I don't associate the movie with the song at all now. :shrug:

sodascouts
02-22-2012, 03:07 PM
My neighbors do not appreciate Part of Me, Part of You at all. It's difficult to sing and I never let that stop me. For myself, as I mentioned before, it used to be my favorite Glenn song. However since I've just recently seen the movie, seeing Gina Davis and picturing a car going over a cliff has ruined it for me. Smugglers Blues gives me several very nice images to work with, so I'd have to say it's my new fave.

I haven't watched that movie in years but I remember thinking that the song really didn't align with the plot. I just shrugged it off, and the only time I think about it is when I watch the video and wish there were less clips from the movie and more of Glenn!

It's a shame you can't separate the two, VA. I think of Part of Me, Part of You in terms of its emotional impact on my own life in reality, not in terms of the way it plays into the fictional lives of two women in a movie.

Glennsallnighter
02-22-2012, 03:32 PM
I love your signature banner Soda :thumbsup:

sodascouts
02-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Thank you! Ah, that mouth... it makes me think of his singing, of course. ;)

VAisForEagleLovers
02-22-2012, 05:18 PM
I just watched the movie about two years ago, so I'll give it some time.

And yes, Soda, I believe you when you say you think of him singing when looking at your sig pic. :lol:

Freypower
02-22-2012, 05:32 PM
As I said I love that banner & I would love to make something similar, but I just don't know how. :sad:

I have never associated POMPOY with the plot of Thelma & Louise & never will. The song is strong enough to stand on its own.

GlennLover
02-23-2012, 12:03 AM
Soda, I've been admiring your banner too! It's gorgeous!

Mrs Frey
02-23-2012, 08:02 AM
Ha! I sure fooled y'all - being the conniving, nasty, lowlife, poor excuse of a human being that I am ... this was all part of another one of my evil plots to try to throw yet another Survivor game! I will never reveal the song I really love best because I may need it to plan my next dastardly deed!!! :fear:

I'm catching up in this thread now, but I just wanted to say:

Dreamer! LOL! :lol: :rofl:

TimothyBFan
02-23-2012, 08:05 AM
Let me give my 2 cents on what POMPOY reminds me of and just recently. Always loved it and thought that the song didn't really go with the movie either and it really never took away from how I liked the song.

Anyways, a few years ago when our son was ready to go off to college, I was stressing about it and how much I was going to miss him. One day I received a text from Soda saying something to the effect that it would all work out and he'd be fine and to remember the song POMPOY. Shortly after that, I put the Strange Weather cd on one afternoon and when that song came on, really listened to the words once again and proceeded to have a good cry. :hilarious: But now I can't listen to it without thinking of it in that context and having a tear come to my eye.

Mrs Frey
02-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Just a few quick comments before I have to get back to work :roll: -

I really don't mind if POMPOY won the game - I love the song. In fact, after I responded to Soda's comment that I voted for POMPOY the last time, I listened to the song, and it made me cry. I ended up playing it about 3 or 4 times in a row, and each time the tears flowed. It was probably the state of mind I was in at the time, but there you have it - the song has a powerful influence on me.

I don't have the time to compile a top 10 now - I don't even know if I can do that - but here are my top 3 (for now, anyway :)):

1) The Heat Is On
2) You Belong To The City
3) Part Of Me, Part Of You

sodascouts
02-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Some of these may shift around on occasion, but here's my least from most favorite to least favorite off this album:

1. Part of Me, Part of You
2. Smuggler's Blues
3. You Belong to the City
4. River of Dreams
5. Brave New World
6. The Heat Is On
7. This Way to Happiness
8. The One You Love
9. I've Got Mine
10. True Love
11. Soul Searchin'
12 Call on Me
13. Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed
14. Common Ground
15. Sexy Girl

Freypower
02-23-2012, 04:54 PM
Let me give my 2 cents on what POMPOY reminds me of and just recently. Always loved it and thought that the song didn't really go with the movie either and it really never took away from how I liked the song.

Anyways, a few years ago when our son was ready to go off to college, I was stressing about it and how much I was going to miss him. One day I received a text from Soda saying something to the effect that it would all work out and he'd be fine and to remember the song POMPOY. Shortly after that, I put the Strange Weather cd on one afternoon and when that song came on, really listened to the words once again and proceeded to have a good cry. :hilarious: But now I can't listen to it without thinking of it in that context and having a tear come to my eye.

If it makes you cry that's a good thing. The song is very powerful & very effective when you need a boost. I could do with it now. (Another song that helps me in times of stress is Learn To Be Still).

Topkat
02-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Well, as usual my picks never win, so I'm getting used to it, but it was a close final that's for sure.

sodascouts
02-24-2012, 12:33 AM

Awwwwww. :hug:

Glennsallnighter
02-24-2012, 04:36 AM
Well, as usual my picks never win, so I'm getting used to it, but it was a close final that's for sure.

Why don't you let is know what your picks actually ARE TK? We know the ones you voted against, but as far as I can see we haven't been told what you do like.

GlennLover
02-24-2012, 10:37 AM
It is soo hard to compile my list! I love them all! Other than my very favorite (TOYL) & my least favorite (SG) the others can rate very differently from day to day, hour to hour. Actually, my #'s 4 to 14 could all be tied for 4th place.

Here is my list as of this moment:

1. The One You Love
2. Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed (Yes. It always makes me want to dance!)
3. True Love
4. Smuggler's Blues
5. You Belong to the City
6. Soul Searchin'
7. This Way to Happiness
8. The Heat Is On
9. River of Dreams
10.Part of Me, Part of You
11. Brave New World
12. I've Got Mine
13. Common Ground
14. Call on Me
15. Sexy Girl

whitcap
02-24-2012, 10:24 PM
Here's my list from favorite to least favorite:

1. The One You Love
2. Sexy Girl
3. You Belong to the City
4. Part of Me, Part of You
5. Smuggler’s Blues
6. Soul Searchin’
7. I’ve Got Mine
8. Brave New World
9. True Love
10. Call on Me
11. Common Ground
12. River of Dreams
13. This Way to Happiness
14. Who’s Been Sleeping in My Bed
15. The Heat is On

03-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Okay - I'll go ahead and post the results of the lists for the Solo Collection album. It's always interesting to me to see how these turn out. I could only count those who posted a complete list. So, here's the way the votes went ...

1. You Belong To the City - 93 points
2. Part of Me, Part of You - 92 points
3. Smuggler's Blues - 88 points
4. River of Dreams - 72 points
5. True Love - 66 points
6. The One You Love - 63 points
7. The Heat Is On - 54 points
8. This Way To Happiness - 52 points
9. Brave New World - 48 points
10. I've Got Mine - 47 points (tie for 10th and 11th place)
11. Soul Searchin' - 47 points (tie for 10th and 11th place)
12. Who's Been Sleepin' in My Bed - 37 points
13. Common Ground - 32 points
14. Call On Me - 29 points
15. Sexy Girl - 20 points

Well, just like in the game, YBTTC and POMPOY are neck and neck. So congratulations to our top vote-getter so far, You Belong To the City!!! And personally, I'm glad to see The Heat Is On finished much higher in this poll than it did in the game.

Thanks to those who participated. If anyone else wants to still post their list, it's not too late. Go right ahead - I'll update the standings if this happens. One person's vote can totally change the results in these polls.

The Disco Strangler
03-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Oh wow, congrats to Part of Me Part of You! My fave Glenn song. :thumbsup: I wish I could have played along. You guys had so much fun.