PDA

View Full Version : Press and Discussion about Glenn's new album "After Hours"

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

VAisForEagleLovers
04-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Here's the link. Haven't listened to it yet, but in one of the shorter versions, he said he wouldn't be surprised if 'you see the Eagles out touring in a big way next year.' Or close to it.

Enjoy...

http://www.thebigdc.com/cc-common/podcast/single_page.html?podcast=tommy&selected_podcast=Glenn_Frey_Int_1335370727_15747.m p3

Brooke
04-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Yep, that's what he said! He sounds great too!

VA, thanks for finding this! You go, girl! :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
04-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Yesterday, Tommy said he talked with Glenn for 20 minutes and would post the whole thing today. We got about 4 minutes worth, so I did ask where the rest of it was. We'll see what he says later or tomorrow...

sodascouts
04-25-2012, 02:41 PM
I can't wait to get home and listen to these!

Thanks for the recap, Ali!

If he goes across the pond there will be much rejoicing in the land of the Border. ;)

Freypower
04-25-2012, 06:42 PM
What he said about England & Europe was that he wanted to go there to promote the album, not to play shows there. :-?

But we've now heard part of Getting Old Before My Time, anyway.

timfan
04-25-2012, 08:06 PM
What he said about England & Europe was that he wanted to go there to promote the album, not to play shows there. :-?

But couldn't he be promoting the album by playing shows? I think it's a fair assumption if Glenn is going to Europe and England that he will do what he is doing in the USA; promote by various means including performance.

GlennLover
04-25-2012, 08:24 PM
But we've now heard part of Getting Old Before My Time, anyway.

Yes, and it sounds heavenly! I have never heard it before.

Freypower
04-25-2012, 08:41 PM
But couldn't he be promoting the album by playing shows? I think it's a fair assumption if Glenn is going to Europe and England that he will do what he is doing in the USA; promote by various means including performance.

I think it's saying too much to assume that. To me 'promote' means doing interviews and does not necessarily mean playing shows. I think if he intended to tour England & Europe he would have said so. I know when Tim released Expando he did some shows in England, but that was Tim. Glenn's US tour isn't exactly a long one. I hope I'm wrong but I would rather err on the side of caution.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Oh man - I love listening to all these interviews. He sounds genuinely excited about the album and upcoming tour.

Dreamer, I smiled at your mention of Glenn giving you all 'updates' like he was a neighbor chatting over the fence. I've read the Pebble Beach threads and even though he seems very down-to-earth, I'd still be a complete basket case if I had the opportunity to talk to him - or any of them for that matter. I admire you all for being able to get past the fangirl and get to know the real person. I'm sure Glenn appreciates that.

WE - I only wish Glenn were my neighbor that I could have daily chats with over the fence. :wink: He really is very down to earth and easy to talk to though. I remember being very nervous the first time I talked to him at Pebble Beach, but I did get more at ease the more we talked to him. I'm not sure we ever got past the fangirl thing all that well, but he seemed to forgive us anyway. :grin: However, I will always cherish the opportunities I've had to talk to Glenn. It's a real thrill for any fan to get a chance to see another side of someone they admire so much.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-26-2012, 08:34 AM
This morning's search results yielded a beauty. Great interview, especially at the end. Well, not the very end. Apparently these guys don't have positive interview experiences with Don. You heard small bits of other songs on the CD, and it's over 12 minutes long.

http://www.big1059.com/cc-common/blogs/paulandyoungron.html

Brooke
04-26-2012, 01:45 PM
What a great interview! I just loved that! He sounds so natural and at ease!

So, he mentioned doing some tv for this album. I assume that was for the Today Show? Wish there were more!

I have to say I'm one of those that he said he hoped would buy the album, listen to it, and go "What?" :lol: I already know what it is, but I'm still thinking "What? This is Glenn Frey?" lol

Thanks again, VA!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-26-2012, 02:08 PM
He sounded great, and the little song snipped he sang live made me smile. I remember my mom singing that all the time around the house and there's times she still does.

I'm thinking about getting her and my aunt each a copy of the CD for Mother's Day. My aunt is 86 now and she loved this music growing up. She even went to see Sinatra in concert during WWII.

Glennhoney
04-26-2012, 05:13 PM
LOVED, LOVED, LOVED THE INTERVIEW...I LOVE TO HEAR HIM TALK...HE SEEMS TO BE HAVING FUN!:yay:

Glennsallnighter
04-26-2012, 06:27 PM
I listened to both the interviews tonight and can really echo what everybody else has said! Glenn :heart: sounded wonderful, really upbeat and enthuiastic about the album and its release and the concerts he will be giving. He also sounded casual and natural.

I sincerely hope taking it to England and Europe does indeed mean that we will finally have a few solo gigs this side of the pond. It would be strange that he would try to promote it without some type of performance.

He also commented to the effect that he had 'really just mapped out the month of May' I don't know if thats all the touring he plans, but to me it (hopefully) suggests that he still has to map out the summer months. So maybe there are a few more dates in the offing!

Love the Chattanooga Choo Choo bit! Dad loved Glenn Miller and used to play his stuff quite a bit when we were younger!

Great interview! Thanks for posting!

Freypower
04-26-2012, 07:01 PM
http://freeemoticonsandsmileys.com/animated%20emoticons/Love%20Animated%20Emoticons/gleam%20heart.gif http://freeemoticonsandsmileys.com/animated%20emoticons/Love%20Animated%20Emoticons/love%20in%20box.gif

Well, now that I have picked myself off the floor.....

When they started playing I'll Be Around & then The Good Life I put my head in my hands out of sheer disbelief. I've never heard anything like that. As for the Chattanooga Choo Choo part & 'I don't usually drink this early/I don't usually SING this early'.... and sitting in his high chair singing along to the Andrews Sisters....

http://freeemoticonsandsmileys.com/animated%20emoticons/Drinking%20Animated%20Emoticons/wine%20drinker.gif http://freeemoticonsandsmileys.com/animated%20emoticons/Cool%20Animated%20Emoticons/gleam.gif

I'm trying to be calm here, but I think I'm going to be very hard to live with once this thing is released.

Let's HOPE for more dates. He did say he'd like to bring it to Miami.

And once again, I am going to have Route 66 in my head all day.

We live in exciting times. :fainted:

Glennsallnighter
04-26-2012, 07:14 PM
We do indeed FP! Enjoy them! Savour them!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-26-2012, 07:18 PM
When they started playing I'll Be Around & then The Good Life I put my head in my hands out of sheer disbelief. I've never heard anything like that.

I hear ya. On the first one, my brows went up in pleased surprise and I smiled a big smile. When they played the clip of The Good Life, my mouth dropped open. I had to go back and replay it several times. Totally amazing.

Freypower
04-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Listening again, it was his mother who was singing along to the Andrews Sisters while he listened, obviously. His dad is 91 & his mother is 88; can you believe that?!

I liked their comments on Somebody; at least I got to see that played live (NB Glenn; some of those songs should still be in the Eagles setlist).

One thing that surprises me so far is that the story of the title track hasn't been told. I would have thought that Mark & Brian, of all people, would have remembered the song as he played it live on their show.

The two snippets have just got me hungry for more. Just perfect.

Windeagle
04-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Okay, I'll admit that I've been a little skeptical about this project. I didn't think I'd like the musical style, but after hearing that interview, I'm sold. Those clips just sucked me in like a whirlpool.

GlennLover
04-26-2012, 11:50 PM
He sounds just gorgeous on those clips. "Chatanooga Choo Choo" has special significance for me so to hear him sing a few lines of it was wonderful! I thought that I was excited before! I wasnn't sure whether I would like the songs that I had never heard, but from these clips I know that I am going to love any songs that Glenn sings in this style! :-)

When he mentioned in the previous interview that he had 2 n's in his name because his mother loved Glenn Miller, I thought to myself that his mother had no idea that she was naming a future famous band "leader" when he was born. After all, Timothy says that he is their "fearless leader"!

Love, love, love these interviews. Makes me feel even worse that I am not going to be able to see one of his upcoming concerts.

Glennsallnighter
04-27-2012, 05:44 AM
Well I can empathise with you there Ann! If there was any way at all I would be there. I'm just hoping for a lifeline somewhere.

sodascouts
04-27-2012, 06:05 AM
I couldn't get online earlier to comment on these because of a variety of fiascos which I won't get into, but I am LOVING all this promotion and he sounds great in these interviews! I'm going to listen to them all again over the weekend and make some more specific comments. This is great!

GlennLover
04-27-2012, 08:45 AM
He is so humble & appreciative of all compliments & support throughout all the interviews, as when he tells the story of Michael Bolton. Loved it in the last interview where, after the interview, he was called "the coolest rock star ever". Too bad he didn't hear that! :laugh:

He does sound very happy. He is laughing a lot.

TommyBig100.3
04-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Some folks asked about my interview with Glenn Frey. Here's the LINK to the interview. BTW- he was one of the most personable artist that I've EVER spoken to in my 30 years of Rock Radio...Tommy Griffiths
Big 100.3 Washington, DC

http://www.thebigdc.com/cc-common/podcast/single_page.html?podcast=tommy&selected_podcast=Glenn_Frey_Int_1335370727_15747.m p3

Enjoy! Tommy

VAisForEagleLovers
04-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Some folks asked about my interview with Glenn Frey. Here's the LINK to the interview. BTW- he was one of the most personable artist that I've EVER spoken to in my 30 years of Rock Radio...Tommy Griffiths
Big 100.3 Washington, DC

Enjoy! Tommy

Tommy, listening to you on BIGDC right now (I mentioned that I'd started listening to you all and I still am!) Thanks for the link! I sent you a FB message asking for the full interview, but since it would show up under 'Other Messages' I'm not sure you get a notification for it.

Thank you for taking the time to post this link. Since Joe will be in town in August (Wolf Trap) will you be interviewing him then?

Verna K.

Brooke
04-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Tommy, thank you so much! Loved the interview! We really appreciate you taking the time to post it for us here!

sodascouts
04-27-2012, 10:07 AM
You rock, Tommy! Thank you so much!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-27-2012, 11:01 AM
So one of the TV appearances will be Jimmy Kimmel Live! No date, just 'May'.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2012/04/26/abc-announces-may-sweeps-programming-438013/20120426abc03/#LpLtjxTyfhKOq0FA.99

sodascouts
04-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Excellent!

BTW, I've decided to merge this thread and the "After Hours" press thread, and rename this thread accordingly. Hope no one gets confused!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Since I was confused before... I think this clears it up.

04-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Thank you Tommy for taking the time to post the link to your interview with Glenn for us. It was fantastic and I hope Glenn is able to stop by your studio when he is in D.C. I'll be at his show there for sure.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-30-2012, 08:13 AM
OK, Glenn's mini-concert with Jimmy Kimmel is tonight night! 4/30, at 5:30 pdt. It doesn't say when it will be aired.

http://www.1iota.com/show/view/Jimmy_Kimmel_Live

VAisForEagleLovers
04-30-2012, 08:16 AM
I looked it up on Jimmy's ABC page. Glenn's episode will be May 9.

http://abc.go.com/shows/jimmy-kimmel-live

timfan
04-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Thanks VA for finding a firm date to the show! :thumbsup:

ETA: Looks like Jimmy Kimmel adds many of the shows to his Youtube channel soon after taping http://www.youtube.com/user/JimmyKimmelLive?ob=0&feature=results_main Hope Glenn's performance is added! :)

Brooke
04-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Oooooo, I hope I can remember to record it! Must note that on a calendar!

Henley Honey
04-30-2012, 02:26 PM
I looked it up on Jimmy's ABC page. Glenn's episode will be May 9.

http://abc.go.com/shows/jimmy-kimmel-live

Then I'll get a "double shot" of Glenn that night -- live and in person for his Town Hall show and taped on Jimmy Kimmel when I get home. Fabulous.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Then I'll get a "double shot" of Glenn that night -- live and in person for his Town Hall show and taped on Jimmy Kimmel when I get home. Fabulous.

I tried to post that exact same comment about you, right down to the 'double shot', but the connection timed out!!

sodascouts
05-01-2012, 04:36 PM
ONE WEEK until the album is released!!!

timfan
05-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Got this alert on facebook from both Glenn and the Eagles :

Preview the complete Glenn Frey After Hours album now - out May 8th!

http://www.parade.com/celebrity/news/2012/05/1-glenn-frey-exclusive-album-stream.html

BTW I can't get it to load which might mean the stream is only available in US.

Freypower
05-01-2012, 07:39 PM
For me the page ends after 'silky delivery'.

I am having a bad day & this just adds to it.

timfan
05-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Sorry your having a bad day FP! That's where it ends for me too. I've asked about it on Facebook. I don't expect a response but maybe they'll make it available to everyone! (we can hope!!)

thelongrun
05-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Just got this on my Facebook

http://www.parade.com/celebrity/news/2012/05/1-glenn-frey-exclusive-album-stream.html#.T6AgiCF2vOc.facebook

Glennhoney
05-01-2012, 08:01 PM
I was able to listen to it...AND JUST LIKE I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE....AMAZING....:thud:

GlennLover
05-01-2012, 08:42 PM
I just discoveed this & listened to the clip of "I Love You For Sentimental Reasons". Silky smooth is right! I am going back to listen to the rest now but, I just wantered to get on "The Border" to see if others are listening too. I'm surprised you can't get it to load, timfan. I had no problem. Did you click on "preorder here"?

FP, I'm sorry too, that you are having a bad day! Just keep in mind that it's less that a week now!

If I don't get it from Amazon.com on the 8th, I think I will have to buy it from iTunes. I won't be able to wait any longer! Then when the CD comes I will enjoy (I hope) reading the credits on the insert.

Freypower
05-01-2012, 08:50 PM
I just discoveed this & listened to the clip of "I Love You For Sentimental Reasons". Silky smooth is right! I am going back to listen to the rest now but, I just wantered to get on "The Border" to see if others are listening too. I'm surprised you can't get it to load, timfan. I had no problem. Did you click on "preorder here"?

FP, I'm sorry too, that you are having a bad day! Just keep in mind that it's less that a week now!

If I don't get it from Amazon.com on the 8th, I think I will have to buy it from iTunes. I won't be able to wait any longer! Then when the CD comes I will enjoy (I hope) reading the credits on the insert.

I had to go & change my iTunes store to the US. I listened to For Sentimental Reasons.

Glennhoney
05-01-2012, 08:53 PM
I had no problem just listening to it without preordering it...just had to click on every song...:thud:

timfan
05-01-2012, 08:55 PM
You can get it thru the pre order link!! just hit it and it'll ask you if you want to let itunes access your computer say yes... then you can hit each one for the preview! It sure wasn`t explained well in the article but WOW!! I like it!

Freypower
05-01-2012, 09:03 PM
I can't change my store back to the Australian store now. I shouldn't have touched it.

ETA: It's OK now, but my mood is totally wrong. I am prepared to wait.

GlennLover
05-01-2012, 09:05 PM
You can get it thru the pre order link!! just hit it and it'll ask you if you want to let itunes access your computer say yes... then you can hit each one for the preview! It sure wasn`t explained well in the article but WOW!! I like it!

That's how I got to it. Listening now. I'm in heaven!!!!! :thud:

timfan
05-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Loving this! listening to Caroline No :thud:

Freypower
05-01-2012, 10:52 PM
You can now preview it on Amazon, 30 seconds each.

I have absolutely no comment to make. Yet.

http://www.amazon.com/After-Hours-Deluxe-Edition-Glenn/dp/B007KCG7GM/ref=ntt_mus_dp_dpt_1

GlennLover
05-01-2012, 11:50 PM
You can now preview it on Amazon, 30 seconds each.

I have absolutely no comment to make. Yet.

http://www.amazon.com/After-Hours-Deluxe-Edition-Glenn/dp/B007KCG7GM/ref=ntt_mus_dp_dpt_1

The clips on iTunes are 1.5 minutes, but there are only 11 songs, whereas Amazon has samples of all 14 songs on the deluxe version. Thanks for finding that FP! Were you still not able to get to iTunes by clicking the "preorder now" link?

Freypower
05-01-2012, 11:57 PM
I did, but I had to change my store to the US store & then I had trouble changing back to the Australian store so I decided I wouldn't persist with it. I'm happy with the 30 second samples for the moment. :drool:

GlennLover
05-02-2012, 12:14 AM
I did, but I had to change my store to the US store & then I had trouble changing back to the Australian store so I decided I wouldn't persist with it. I'm happy with the 30 second samples for the moment. :drool:

Aren't they fantastic!? :thud:I noticed he did parts of Route 66 quite differently than he did in Niagara Falls. He sort of growled (for want of a better word) "Kingman, Barstow, San Bernadino" in NF, but he sings it more smoothly on the album. I will have to wait until I hear it all before I decide which, if either, I like better. I kind of miss the growl. :-? You & the others who are going to see one or more of his concerts are so lucky to be hearing more of these songs in person! :jealous:

timfan
05-02-2012, 07:49 AM
Guess what I had to turn on the second I got up this morning? The After Hours preview!! Happily listening 8)

Glennsallnighter
05-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Lovely Wake Up Call TF!

GlennLover
05-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Guess what I had to turn on the second I got up this morning? The After Hours preview!! Happily listening 8)

Me too!!!!

Freypower
05-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Even from only 30 seconds with each song, there is one song that will sound more like Eagles fans would expect; it's Worried Mind. It has a country feel.

From what I could tell, a couple of the standouts that I hadn't heard were The Good Life & I'll Be Around.

The version of Same Girl is reasonably similar to Randy Newman's version; I would love to know which other Newman songs Glenn likes.

GlennLover
05-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Even from only 30 seconds with each song, there is one song that will sound more like Eagles fans would expect; it's Worried Mind. It has a country feel.

From what I could tell, a couple of the standouts that I hadn't heard were The Good Life & I'll Be Around.

The version of Same Girl is reasonably similar to Randy Newman's version; I would love to know which other Newman songs Glenn likes.

I had the same opinion of Worried Mind as soon as I heard it. I think that those other two will be 2 of the strongest songs on the album. I was really impressed with them when samples of them were played on the interview Glenn did on the Miami radio station.

Not sure if I am going to be that crazy about Same Girl. I'm not familiar with the song, but I am keeping an open mind. Both Glenn & Don seem to be big Randy Newman fans.

Victim of Love
05-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Only six more days till the release!!! I'm so excited that I amended my Amazon order to include expedited shipping.

GlennLover
05-03-2012, 06:55 AM
Only six more days till the release!!! I'm so excited that I amended my Amazon order to include expedited shipping.

I ordered it express shipping when I placed my initial order. I'm not anxious for it, am I? :wink::nod:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Glenn did an interview yesterday with a station in Long Island.

http://www.wbab.com/weblogs/rogers-neighborhood/2012/may/03/roger-talks-glen-frey/

Brooke
05-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Great interview! He talked some about the documentary they are doing and what would be in it. They found some old video from on the road in the early days! Can't wait for this! :yay:

He also mentioned again that his name has 2 "n's" in it because of his Mom's love of Glenn Miller. Yet they had his name with 1"n" on the page!

Haven't they always said that there was nothing in the vault or that they destroyed everything that wasn't used? Maybe they were just talking about songs or music and not videos. :hmm:

Side note: Glenn's voice reminds me of one of my cousins, sounds just like him!

prayfordaylight
05-04-2012, 02:51 PM
He also mentioned again that his name has 2 "n's" in it because of his Mom's love of Glenn Miller. Yet they had his name with 1"n" on the page!

Knew I'd be far from the only one to notice that!

Victim of Love
05-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Dropping one 'n' from Glenn's name is as common/frequent an error as adding the 'd' to Schmit...and OF COURSE we always notice the ignorance of the reporter or interviewer. Don't you wish they would just do their homework????

Freypower
05-04-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm SO glad they used a photo from the OOTN sheet music book which I happened to scan.....:shrug: They couldn't find something more recent?

It was worth a listen though. He seemed reluctant to go along with the word 'crooning' & I agree with him. I don't think this type of singing is 'crooning' either.

GlennLover
05-05-2012, 01:16 AM
Check out the new photos on Glenn's website. Sigh! http://glennfreyafterhours.com/media/photos/23011

VAisForEagleLovers
05-05-2012, 01:20 AM
Check out the new photos on Glenn's website. Sigh! http://glennfreyafterhours.com/media/photos/23011

Great find!!

GlennLover
05-05-2012, 01:27 AM
Here's another interview I got in a Google alert: http://wcbsfm.radio.com/2012/05/04/glenn-frey-finds-a-reason-to-tour-with-after-hours/

VAisForEagleLovers
05-05-2012, 01:32 AM
Another good find! You're on a roll!

Freypower
05-05-2012, 02:35 AM
Oh MAN oh MAN oh..... expletive deleted! :censored:

I like my screenshots, but you know how it is.... :hug: :woah: :grooving:

Freypower
05-05-2012, 02:47 AM
Hot off the press:

http://groundctrl.s3.amazonaws.com/clients/glenn_frey/media/12/06/images/assets/large.C1jX2MdZ0fhRw2AkOm0U-r6dSYe4baZ_7N8P9HWLCKU.jpg

http://groundctrl.s3.amazonaws.com/clients/glenn_frey/media/11/04/images/assets/large._m7bxskAIyAYzac3F-ZFNxmkcaa6fIH03qKfMzPAtV0.jpg

And those are just the last two! It's gonna be Avatar Frenzy time in this house (oh & I need a banner for the show)....!

Woodstock
05-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Saw a commercial for Access Hollywood last night - they did a sit down interview with Glenn recentley and will show it on Mon. @ 7:30 p.m. (west coast time). Looks like it will be a good one. :yay:

Wildthyme
05-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Glenn is going to be performing on the Today Show on Monday morning...

05-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Oh wow! Those pictures on Glenn's site are gorgeous. I especially love those two that FP posted. And thanks everyone for keeping on top of all the new info coming out, including the air times for Glenn's TV appearances. Exciting times!!! And it's just semantics, but sorry Glenn - it sure sounds like crooning to me. :wink:

Glennsallnighter
05-05-2012, 01:19 PM
This is all wonderful. I've had a troubled few days as many of you know and have been unable to spend much time here. They are all wonderful finds everybody. I love the new pictures on the 'After Hours' website and will treat myself to the interview later if I can stream it live.

Myself and a close friend and colleague couldn't bring ourselves to listen to the radio over the past days but have found unbelievable comfort and relevance in so much of Glenn :heart:s music.

Glennhoney
05-05-2012, 02:19 PM
OMG...those new pics of Glenn are just TOOOO much.....MAN, he looks amazing....:fainting:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-05-2012, 05:10 PM
I posted about this last week, but now I can't find the post to give it a bump. I have no idea where it could have gone.

Joe Benson (Uncle Joe) is having Glenn on as a guest tomorrow. It's syndicated and broadcast on many radio stations. He doesn't provide them later as podcasts. I hope everyone can find a station to listen to.

http://unclejoe.com/xotr.html

Freypower
05-05-2012, 06:11 PM
I got so excited last night I posted those photos in the wrong thread!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-05-2012, 06:33 PM
I got so excited last night I posted those photos in the wrong thread!

Well, now you'll have to post them where they belong and we'll 'have' to see them twice! Such a shame! :wink:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Just listened to the interview with Uncle Joe Benson, and it was pretty good. A full hour with Eagles songs that Glenn sings lead on, plus Smugglers Blues, and a lot of clips of songs from After Hours. He said some things I never heard before.

I need to go run an errand and get something to eat, I'll try and write down a few thoughts later. I couldn't record it and post it, as I stated in the previous thread that I can no longer find, the website is emphatic that they aggressively pursue illegal copying and posting of the interview. So I'll say it's worth it to look at the website and find a live stream this evening and listen, times posted are in the timezone local to the radio station.

GlennLover
05-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Thanks, VA!

Glenn has made some changes to his web site. Check out the new home page: http://www.glennfreyafterhours.com/. It alternates between 3 different pictures. Also, there are changes on the video page. It looks to me like the changes have been made for at least one other video (more I hope) to be added. Maybe he will post the "After Hours" video on Tuesday!

GlennLover
05-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Just listened to the interview with Uncle Joe Benson, and it was pretty good. A full hour with Eagles songs that Glenn sings lead on, plus Smugglers Blues, and a lot of clips of songs from After Hours. He said some things I never heard before.

I need to go run an errand and get something to eat, I'll try and write down a few thoughts later. I couldn't record it and post it, as I stated in the previous thread that I can no longer find, the website is emphatic that they aggressively pursue illegal copying and posting of the interview. So I'll say it's worth it to look at the website and find a live stream this evening and listen, times posted are in the timezone local to the radio station.

I found a station in Gainesville, Florida that streams it so hopefully I will be able to hear it tonight @ 9:00 my time!

Why does Gainsville sound so familiar? Seems to me I have heard the name of that town before. ;-) ;-) ;-)

VAisForEagleLovers
05-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Notes from the Off The Record Show with Uncle Joe Benson...

On getting his start, he mentioned that after stopping the piano lessons, he picked back up on the piano when the Eagles came together.

On when he started to sing, he said he was in some church choirs but nothing he really remembers much of. The Beatles and various music clubs around was what really got him into it.

This next part had me making faces at my computer. Benson says, “This is gonna take a lot of people by surprise. First off, Mr. Frey, your voice, the way you sing on this After Hours album is incredible.” He then asks if Glenn had been hiding that. Really? What has he been listening to all these years? I was so astounded at the total back-handed compliment I almost missed Glenn’s reply which was, “I guess I have, but you know, some people know.” No kidding.

On what makes a great love song, Glenn says he thinks ‘bittersweet’ is a great flavor. Too sweet doesn’t work for him and neither does ‘slit your wrist, it’s over’. He said, “Bittersweet is where the interesting turf is.”

On the ‘40th anniversary tour’, he said the usual about the Eagles plan things year to year, but that LROOE was a five year cycle that included playing places they’d never been and returning to underplayed markets domestically (at this point I was shocked that Las Vegas was such an underplayed market). They’ve come to an end of that cycle. Now they need to create a new show. The show he’s thinking about hopefully will coincide with the DVD they have coming out in ‘about six months’. History of the Eagles, two DVDs. The first DVD would be ‘71 thru ‘80. Second will be ‘94 through the present.

“I thought if we did decide to go out and go around one more time, that maybe the tour would be like a history of the Eagles.” They can start out and the show would sort of take a chronological road and they could start out with four guys sitting around playing guitar for the first album, grow a little bigger for Desperado, then Joe joins. That’s a challenging project and they’d have to hire some talented people for the production of it. It would take a lot of time and right now they’re busy.

“(40) is a number to be proud for sure, but certainly anybody who can do rudimentary mathematics can figure out you’re pretty old.”

It seemed to me the clips that were played of After Hours were longer than a minute and a half which would make them different than the ones on the Parade link elsewhere on this thread. I don’t have itunes on this computer so I haven’t heard the samples from that link, and so I don’t know if they’re different or not. It’s worth finding a station and listening to the entire thing. I wish we could type out the whole thing, but the term ‘fair use’ in copyright law is so...nebulous.

timfan
05-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Thanks Verna for posting that. For anyone who has not heard the interview with Uncle Joe you can stream it live tonight at 8pm Eastern (about two hours from now) from the Wind FM radio station (http://www.windfm.com/pages/4653302.php)in Florida. Just click on the listen live link @ 8pm and you should get it! :)

VAisForEagleLovers
05-06-2012, 06:03 PM
There was a lot more, even things I hadn't heard him say before, that I didn't include in the write-up.

Freypower
05-06-2012, 07:26 PM
This next part had me making faces at my computer. Benson says, “This is gonna take a lot of people by surprise. First off, Mr. Frey, your voice, the way you sing on this After Hours album is incredible.” He then asks if Glenn had been hiding that. Really? What has he been listening to all these years? I was so astounded at the total back-handed compliment I almost missed Glenn’s reply which was, “I guess I have, but you know, some people know.” No kidding.

In relation to that, some of us do know, and have always known. That is all I will say to that.

GlennLover
05-06-2012, 08:07 PM
I'm listening to it now.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Did everyone know there are TWO Access Hollywood shows? My local station has an Access Hollywood Live version at noon EDT for an hour, and the regular half hour show at 7:30 EDT. He's on both and they are different shows. It says he performs on one and discusses the song HC on the other. I just set all my DVRs for both of them.

GlennLover
05-06-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm so glad that I didn't miss that!! I'll just quickly add a few things that I picked up from the interview. I don't have a lot of time to post right now.

The songs that he played from "After Hours" were at least 3/4 of the songs. I'm so excited hearing them! FP, they played all of the vocals on the song 'After Hours' & on the second chorus he sings "when I drive these rainy streets I always think of her" so we get to hear old & new! Wait until you hear the end of "I Wanna Be Around"! Wow! :singer::grooving::inlove:

He also talked about being on Miami Vice & mentioned things I hadn't heard before. :laugh: I'll post more on that & anything else that I remember tomorrow.

He spoke so smoothly, fluently & confidently, hardly any "you know"s. I love listening to his speaking voice almost as much as his singing! :heart:

I thought this was the best of all the 'After Hours' interviews, but it was also the longest.

I'm flying so high after listening to this!!! :partytime: Is it Tuesday yet?

VAisForEagleLovers
05-06-2012, 09:44 PM
I decided to give the copy I pre-ordered from Amazon to my mother for Mother's Day. I really do believe I can't wait until the mailman decides to deliver it, so I'll be at the store when they open, probably doing 'an HH' and crawling on the floor and tearing through boxes until I find their shipment of them so I can get one for myself immediately.

Freypower
05-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Any further information on this will be appreciated as I don't have access to US radio stations. Also I don't even know if the iTunes Australian store will have the album & I may not even receive my copy before I leave in 2 weeks.

ETA: It looks like iTunes here will not be stocking it for the moment. :mad:

GlennLover
05-06-2012, 10:07 PM
I decided to give the copy I pre-ordered from Amazon to my mother for Mother's Day. I really do believe I can't wait until the mailman decides to deliver it, so I'll be at the store when they open, probably doing 'an HH' and crawling on the floor and tearing through boxes until I find their shipment of them so I can get one for myself immediately.

I have no idea where or even if the CD will be available for purchase in stores in Canada, but I will be out looking for it! I checked my order on Amazon just in case it had been shipped! Of course it hasn't. Just very wishful thinking on my part. one way or the other I am getting it on Tuesday! It's on iTunes!

Glennsallnighter
05-07-2012, 05:24 AM
I just hope I can get it in iTunes on Tuesday. Laura is off school tomorrow as its a holiday weekend here. Although I am not. I have detailed her the very important job of checking HMV to see if they are carrying After Hours. I'm hoping to get my Amazin delivery by the weekend. But it may be iTunes till then. I've heard nothing on the radio or anything over here as yet.

sodascouts
05-07-2012, 06:33 AM
So I drive home straight from Jazz Fest and, due to traffic and storms, didn't get home until about 15 minutes ago. I was gonna check the Border and go to bed.... now I see that he's going to be all over the place today. I'm gonna have to figure out a plan of attack before I get any rest! I don't wanna miss a thing!

Plus the new info and clips and pictures... shoot, I'm on overload and it's only 5:30 in the morning!

Thank goodness I don't have to be at work until the afternoon!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Glenn on WNYC at 2pm and 10pm. There is a listen live option.

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/soundcheck/

Windeagle
05-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Glenn on WNYC at 2pm and 10pm. There is a listen live option.

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/soundcheck/

Just checked and that's an NPR station. My husband has an app on his iPhone that will let you stream any NPR station in the country. My kids hate that app, especially on long road trips.

Guess I know what I'll be listening to at 10 pm tonight!

TimothyBFan
05-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Hubby just sent a text saying he thinks he just heard that Glenn is going to be on Bob & Tom today. I've just pulled up the local radio station and he's on now!!!!

http://v5.player.abacast.com/v5.1/player/index.php?uid=6282

timfan
05-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks TBF! listening now :)

TimothyBFan
05-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Love it... says he tells the young people in the orchestra, "your grandfather knows who I am." LOL

So much Glenn... while this interview was on, he came on Today Show again. :unimpressed:

Windeagle
05-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Just checked and that's an NPR station. My husband has an app on his iPhone that will let you stream any NPR station in the country. My kids hate that app, especially on long road trips.

Guess I know what I'll be listening to at 10 pm tonight!

Gasp! Even better. I just checked with him and it turns out he put the app on my phone too! Sweet! Maybe I can actually listen at 2 pm instead.

Shows how tech-challenged I am that my husband has to tell me what apps I have on my own phone! Now you all see why I never post pictures. :)

Brooke
05-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Ack! I caught the end! Glenn sounds wonderful as usual!

Just a side note, Bob or Tom, (?) mentioned that the Eagles shows were mixed great and Glenn commented that they had 4 lead singers and that helped mix the show up a lot. Last night I watched a Bon Jovi concert on tv and I really love them, but I noticed that it got a little boring, actually, because Jon did all of the singing. Just a thought that related!

TimothyBFan
05-07-2012, 10:08 AM
OK---I think this may be the link on Bob & Tom they just played. Not sure what hour it's in. Be patient. I'm trying to figure it out.

http://www.bobandtom.com/show/2012/05/07

ETA: I guess you need a subscription. Check it out if you have one. $6.95 a month I'm not willing to pay.

Was a good interview. Talked about golf tournament being how this all started because was told by Clint Eastwood that volunteers were told to perform and he was told he needed a 40s song.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Hubby just sent a text saying he thinks he just heard that Glenn is going to be on Bob & Tom today. I've just pulled up the local radio station and he's on now!!!!

http://v5.player.abacast.com/v5.1/player/index.php?uid=6282

Sorry, TBF, I saw that in a search result yesterday, but it didn't say what time, just 'some time this morning'. I meant to ask you if you had more details and then got distracted.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-07-2012, 10:43 AM
I should have clarified about the NPR station. The friend who is recording all the shows for me today and putting them on a DVD mentioned that NPR usually plays new CDs in their entirety before release. Took forever to figure out where that might be on the internet.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-07-2012, 10:44 AM
The same friend also told me a real fan would have been on the plaza at Rockefeller Center this morning to see him. He was lucky we were on the phone and I couldn't smack him.

TimothyBFan
05-07-2012, 11:07 AM
The same friend also told me a real fan would have been on the plaza at Rockefeller Center this morning to see him. He was lucky we were on the phone and I couldn't smack him.

It's funny because as I was watching it this morning, I was waiting for a sign to pop up in the audience saying "Hi Borderers!" from somebody on here. :lol:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-07-2012, 11:34 AM
It's funny because as I was watching it this morning, I was waiting for a sign to pop up in the audience saying "Hi Borderers!" from somebody on here. :lol:

If I hadn't just spent four days in Atlanta I would have seriously considered it. My boss is only but so flexible!

Windeagle
05-07-2012, 11:38 AM

My first thought when I saw the crowd gathered on Rockefeller Plaza was "Dammit! Why didn't I think of that? I should be there!"

My admin is out on medical leave though, so it was probably out of the question anyway.

GlennLover
05-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Is the Bob & Tom interview different than the one he did a few days ago? Sounds like it's the same as the one I have already heard. Not that I don't want more Glenn, but it's hard to keep up with him today! :thud:

TimothyBFan
05-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Probably the same one, Ann. Isn't Bob & Tom in syndicate so the shows are different times on different stations?

GlennLover
05-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Probably the same one, Ann. Isn't Bob & Tom in syndicate so the shows are different times on different stations?

I believe so. Doesn't make sense that Glenn would do two separate interviews with them & give the same info in both.

I was able to download the one I heard without getting a subscription.

Glennsallnighter
05-07-2012, 01:36 PM
I can't get any of these interviews but I do think it's wonderful that Glenn :heart: is getting so much exposure and is so 'into' the whole album. The positive vibes are tremendous. I am so happy for him that this is finally happening.

Brooke
05-07-2012, 02:07 PM
I was able to listen from Willie's first link. Free. But of course I missed most of it.

Topkat
05-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Jimmy Kimmel usually has them do a 5 song set at the show, but only 1 song will air on the tv show. The rest can be seen on the YouTube channel.
Anyone that is in LA area can get free tickets to the show., so apply for tickets anyone in the area...I have been at the show & they have a small concert area which is very cool.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Just listened to the WNYC interview. Great interview. About 25 minutes with only a few clips of songs, the rest was all talking. Interesting that it wasn't his idea to include After Hours on the album, it was Jack's, about halfway through the project. The guy who did the interview seemed very surprised that Glenn did this without a record deal. He said he did it himself, the way he wanted it done, then Irving found a home for it.

GlennLover
05-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Just finished listening to Glenn on the radio in New York. Another great one.Thre was a lot of the same info from previous interviews but there was soom new stuff & some elaboration on previously discussed questions. Finally, he was asked about the origins of the song "After Hours". I wasn't able to record it. Oh, he sounds soooo good!

They played more of "My Buddy" than we have heard yet. Played parts of 4 or 5 songs. my head is spinning so I can't remember them right now!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Just finished listening to Glenn on the radio in New York. Another great one.Thre was a lot of the same info from previous interviews but there was soom new stuff & some elaboration on previously discussed questions. Finally, he was asked about the origins of the song "After Hours". I wasn't able to record it. Oh, he sounds soooo good!

They played more of "My Buddy" than we have heard yet. Played parts of 4 or 5 songs. my head is spinning so I can't remember them right now!

My Buddy, Caroline No, Same Girl, After Hours, Route 66 was the intro.

Windeagle
05-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Just listened to the WNYC interview. Not a lot we haven't heard before, but still fun to listen to. Lots of clips from the songs, of course. Highlights:

- Glenn talked again about hearing these songs in childhood. Said his mom liked Glenn Miller and Sarah Vaughn. He said he did the record for his parents, who are 87 and 91. When asked if his parents liked it, Glenn said, "Yes, they did, but they like everything I do. They're my parents."

- He said he'll be rehearsing tomorrow with the NYU orchestra to prep for the show on Wednesday.

- When talking about "Caroline No," he said he'd be "over the moon" if Brian Wilson heard it and said he liked it. This hasn't happened yet, Glenn answered when asked.

- He always wanted to do a Randy Newman song. He didn't realize until "after a few listens" that the song he chose was about a prostitute. "Leave it to Randy Newman to write a tender love song about... that subject," he said.

- He said "After Hours" was supposed to be the last song on The Allnighter, but it didn't fit. When he called Jack Tempchin to write a standards-sounding song for this album, Jack said, "Why don't you use After Hours?" Glenn indicated it was a "duh" sort of moment.

That's all I recall. I may listen again at 10 because I'm at work and had to keep it low to avoid the boss.

Brooke
05-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Just checked and that's an NPR station. My husband has an app on his iPhone that will let you stream any NPR station in the country.

So, I hate to sound dumb here, but what is an NPR station? I need to find this! :lol:

GlennLover
05-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Random bits I am remembering of the interview.

- He did say, after he said his parents loved everything he did because he was their son, that he thought it touched a soft spot with them.

- Said he couldn't wait to meet the kids tomorrow & he expects playing with them will be fun.

- He named 2 records Linda Ronstadt did of classics. Someone must have sent a message through one of the social networks, as the host read from somewhere that the listener wanted him to tell Glenn that Linda actually did 3 classical albums & named them. There was a bit more I don't recall.

- I may be telling this in the wrong context, but I think it was during Glenn's "duh" moment which VA mentioned, that he claimed he said something like "gosh" when Jack said "What about After Hours" that the host said "Did you really say that, did you use that word? Do you usually use 'that' word?" Glenn hesitated & told the host that he really tried to because he has kids. It gave me a chuckle.

Maybe VA can fill in more details & correct anything I have remembered incorrectly.

Windeagle
05-07-2012, 03:55 PM
So, I hate to sound dumb here, but what is an NPR station? I need to find this! :lol:

National Public Radio.

GlennLover
05-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Correction: Maybe VA [B]& WE[B] can fill in more details & correct anything I have remembered incorrectly. I tried to edit my post but I'm on my IPhone & it didn't want to work. Sorry, WE!

Windeagle
05-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Random bits I am remembering of the interview.

- I may be telling this in the wrong context, but I think it was during Glenn's "duh" moment which VA mentioned, that he claimed he said something like "gosh" when Jack said "What about After Hours" that the host said "Did you really say that, did you use that word? Do you usually use 'that' word?" Glenn hesitated & told the host that he really tried to because he has kids. It gave me a chuckle.

Maybe VA can fill in more details & correct anything I have remembered incorrectly.

Yeah, I realized I missed that piece after I posted. I laughed too. I think it was more like he was talking about one of the songs being so good that he had to work hard not to "goof it up," and that's when the interviewer asked if he really used that word and not something else. And yeah, he said something like he tried to stay away from other words because he has kids.

I might have missed the right context too though. Boss-avoidance stinks. I guess I'll just be forced to listen again tonight. :)

Windeagle
05-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Correction: Maybe VA [b]& WE[b] can fill in more details & correct anything I have remembered incorrectly. I tried to edit my post but I'm on my IPhone & it didn't want to work. Sorry, WE!

No worries. I knew who you meant. :)

GlennLover
05-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I realized I missed that piece after I posted. I laughed too. I think it was more like he was talking about one of the songs being so good that he had to work hard not to "goof it up," and that's when the interviewer asked if he really used that word and not something else. And yeah, he said something like he tried to stay away from other words because he has kids.

I might have missed the right context too though. Boss-avoidance stinks. I guess I'll just be forced to listen again tonight. :)

Oh what an arduous task! ;)

timfan
05-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Well I'm on Glenn overload today and NOT complaining!!

My album hasn't shipped yet but I expect it will shortly. Had a bit of a scare when I awoke this morning to an email from amazon saying my credit card wasn't working (a definate EEEK moment) but it was just that the card had been a changed awhile ago and I had forgotten to change it on Amazon.. Problem solved lol

Brooke
05-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Just watched Glenn on Today and that sly dog Ann Curry actually had the nerve to go up to him and hug him! Oh to be Ann! lol

Glenn looked wonderful and sounded great! He did actually say he might get the Eagles to come on the show! Here's hoping! <fingers crossed smilie>

Thanks Va!

GlennLover
05-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Another recollection:

- Said he didn't want to stray too far from the original recordings. He didn't want to make (help me here WE) a 'Glenn Frey version(?)' of the songs. The more contemporary songs were added last (Caroline No & Same Girl), but I think 'After Hours' was last & when he did it he thought that that song title fit the album.

WE you really will have to listen again so I can get my stories straight!

Windeagle
05-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Another recollection:

- Said he didn't want to stray too far from the original recordings. He didn't want to make (help me here WE) a 'Glenn Frey version(?)' of the songs. The more contemporary songs were added last (Caroline No & Same Girl), but I think 'After Hours' was last & when he did it he thought that that song title fit the album.

WE you really will have to listen again so I can get my stories straight!

That sounds about right, but I did miss some stuff in that timeframe.

Windeagle
05-07-2012, 04:25 PM
I remembered something else. He talked about the After Hours album being like a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle. You leave it out and pick at it a few pieces at a time until it finally gets done.

Brooke
05-07-2012, 04:35 PM
And it's just semantics, but sorry Glenn - it sure sounds like crooning to me. :wink:

I'm witcha there dreamer, definitely crooning!

After watching him on some of these videos, I still find it hard to imagine Glenn Frey crooning! That long haired rock star with the patched jeans is where I prefer to imagine Glenn, but life goes on I guess! And it's ok! :lol:

Freypower
05-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Fantastic to hear him rave about Randy Newman; I love the man & saw him last August at the Opera House a couple of weeks before I saw Glenn himself. Same Girl 'stained' and 'haunted' indeed.

When My Buddy started I didn't recognise him at first. This is just extraordinary. I'm very proud, very happy.

By the way, all his talk about What's New & Lush Life; I did have those albums, but I never bought the CDs!!!

GlennLover
05-08-2012, 12:23 AM
I just downloaded it from iTunes!

The deluxe version is now available, so of course I downloaded it all. Listening now even though it is 1:30 in the morning here! Woo hoo hoo! :singer:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-08-2012, 12:37 AM
The download isn't active on Amazon yet. I noticed I paid $10.99, if you buy it now it's $11.29. To download it in MP3 format is $13.29. Still, more money for MP3 format? Maybe that will change once they realize it's the 8th and the links go live.

GlennLover
05-08-2012, 12:40 AM
:drool: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :inlove::spin: :applause::applause::applause: :fainting: :heart: :thumbsup:

Listening to "Here's To Life" now! It is DIVINE!!! You should hear him on the high notes!!! After hearing this he has no excuse for not singing "New Kid In Town" because it's too high!!!

Glennsallnighter
05-08-2012, 05:08 AM
At least you guys CAN download it from itunes and Amazon. It won't let me do either here in Ireland. Oh well, my money, their loss! I got to hear the Parade clips last night so at least I have had a listen I deliberately waited up until midnight to do it. I guess I wanted to say I had my first listen to After Hours on the day of its release.

I am wearing the 'After Hours' t-shirt that I made after the Niagara Falls gig in celebration today!

GlennLover
05-08-2012, 05:36 AM
Here's the first review & it's a good one! http://www.google.ca/m/search?q=Glenn+Frey+%22After+Hours%22&hl=en&client=safari&prmd=imvnsuo&source=univ&tbm=nws&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=zuaoT5-vMonsggffmLHMAQ&ved=0CCsQqAIoADAA

Glennsallnighter
05-08-2012, 05:51 AM
Yep! I got that as a Google alert as well!

GL, have you no bed to go to tonight? :wink:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-08-2012, 10:32 AM
The Amazon download price went down to $8.99. They haven't shipped mine yet, but it's scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Hmmm. I'm still going to get another copy, but I can't do that until lunch. Can I wait an hour?

VAisForEagleLovers
05-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Another interview, this one with his hometown radio station.

http://www.wcsx.com/KenCalvertMornings/Story.aspx?ID=1700051

GlennLover
05-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Another review. I don't quite know what to make of this one. :headscratch::headscratch:

http://ca.music.yahoo.com/blogs/new-this-week/silversun-pick-081322965.html

prayfordaylight
05-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Glenn on Q104.3 (a great classic rock station) in NYC: http://www.q1043.com/cc-common/mainheadlines2.html?feed=428240

And on WCBS in NYC as well: http://wcbsfm.radio.com/2012/05/04/glenn-frey-finds-a-reason-to-tour-with-after-hours/

sodascouts
05-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Here's the first review & it's a good one! http://www.google.ca/m/search?q=Glenn+Frey+%22After+Hours%22&hl=en&client=safari&prmd=imvnsuo&source=univ&tbm=nws&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=zuaoT5-vMonsggffmLHMAQ&ved=0CCsQqAIoADAA

This link isn't working for me - I think it might be because it's going through Google. Could someone post the direct link to the page?

GlennLover
05-08-2012, 02:11 PM
This link isn't working for me - I think it might be because it's going through Google. Could someone post the direct link to the page?

Sorry, Soda. I was half asleep when I posted it & I did it from my iPhone. I had trouble finding it again. It wasn no longer on that page, but here it is: http://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/music/glenn-freys-after-hours-is-a-cheerful-covers-album

sodascouts
05-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Great - thanks!

zeldabjr
05-08-2012, 03:09 PM
I love to see such happy fans on this board!...I just checked and Amazon still says not shipped yet... I know this is a very special day especially for Glenn fans...and I know you'll all say the wait was worth it...enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!:):thumbsup:
zelda

Brooke
05-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Thanks for all the links everyone! Just listened to them all and Glenn sounds so happy and pleased with himself about this project. He's really out and about and talking about it all over the place! Good for him! And us! It's just so great to hear something from him! :nod:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-09-2012, 12:52 AM
Interesting article from the Wall Street Journal, he mentions Frank Ocean

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/05/08/glenn-frey-loves-classic-pop-hates-frank-oceans-american-wedding/?KEYWORDS=glenn+frey

And, a video interview!
http://online.wsj.com/video/eagles-glenn-frey-dips-into-american-songbook/2BF5DB54-D2AA-488F-A072-43C8904B9EB6.html?KEYWORDS=glenn+frey

VAisForEagleLovers
05-09-2012, 12:57 AM
A new arrangement of The Heat Is On for these concerts? I think he was serious, but I think it was recorded some time ago and published today.

Freypower
05-09-2012, 03:25 AM
I can only speak for myself but I would LOVE that. But then I love Swamp Smuggler's Blues. Do it Glenn. 'Oh yeah, the boy can swing'!

Back to the white suit, eh? What next?

Windeagle
05-09-2012, 09:34 AM
I really hope he does what he said he'd do with "The Heat Is On." Personally, I think that's one of his more dated solo songs and I would LOVE to hear it with a new arrangement. Do it, Glenn. You know you want to!

sodascouts
05-09-2012, 11:08 AM
"The Heat Is On" is fun and everybody knows it. In America at least, it's probably the song most associated with him as a solo artist. As long as he keeps it upbeat, it should work. The thing I didn't like about "Swamp Smuggler's Blues" was the way it dragged. (BTW I love having candy after my steak, lol).

The comment about Frank Ocean made me laugh, especially since we were just talking about some sucky rap songs that sampled Glenn's work in another thread, and GA mentioned she thought Glenn should get double the money because the songs were so bad!

Regarding the date, the article states that the interview was done in late March.

GlennLover
05-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Got this Billboard article(posted an hour ago) in a Google alert: http://www.billboard.com/news/glenn-frey-has-plan-for-touring-around-history-1007008152.story#/news/glenn-frey-has-plan-for-touring-around-history-1007008152.story

Not much new but this line caught my eye. "We have a set-up plan in May -- East Coast, West Coast and television to get this record kicked off," Frey says. "Then hopefully it will do well enough to justify me going out and playing some more shows, 'cause they're really a lot of fun."

GA, keep your fingers crossed!

GlennLover
05-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Got this in the same alert: http://www.700wlw.com/pages/onair_jimscott.html?article=10107154

"The disc is a collection of classics that Glenn made for a retro restaurant that never panned out." ??????

The article is only a paragraph long & underneath it says "Click HERE for more information" & the link takes you to GF Online! Weird!

zeldabjr
05-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Got this in the same alert: http://www.700wlw.com/pages/onair_jimscott.html?article=10107154

"The disc is a collection of classics that Glenn made for a retro restaurant that never panned out." ??????

The article is only a paragraph long & underneath it says "Click HERE for more information" & the link takes you to GF Online! Weird!

definitely weird...what the he..is that supposed to mean? I just listened to the whole CD...loved it, but so much made me cry...don't know why.
zelda

Freypower
05-09-2012, 06:30 PM

I don't think so. I just love how people make this stuff up.

Re Swamp Smuggler's Blues I don't think it drags at all, but Soda & I have always agreed to disagree on this.

Glennsallnighter
05-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Got this Billboard article(posted an hour ago) in a Google alert: http://www.billboard.com/news/glenn-frey-has-plan-for-touring-around-history-1007008152.story#/news/glenn-frey-has-plan-for-touring-around-history-1007008152.story

Not much new but this line caught my eye. "We have a set-up plan in May -- East Coast, West Coast and television to get this record kicked off," Frey says. "Then hopefully it will do well enough to justify me going out and playing some more shows, 'cause they're really a lot of fun."

GA, keep your fingers crossed!

I'm keeping EVERYTHING crossed GL!

GlennLover
05-10-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm keeping EVERYTHING crossed GL!

I will too!!!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-10-2012, 05:46 PM
This dropped into my Facebook Newsfeed from Glenn's page. He's interested in making a second CD at some point along the same lines as After Hours.

http://www.wamc.org/post/glenn-frey-eagle-stays-after-hours

Glennsallnighter
05-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Oh cool! That would be brilliant. The more, the better!

Freypower
05-10-2012, 06:32 PM
I'm glad others are summarising all this up because I cannot get any of these links to load.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-10-2012, 11:39 PM
I was doing a search on San Jose and Glenn and this came up in the search results. Maybe St. Louis is playing San Jose in hockey? I don't follow the west...

Haven't heard anything new yet except....in the beginning of the interview...A COUPLE OF CALIFORNIA DATES planned for the tour. I'll keep searching.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/05/10/tiam-a-circus-the-middle-east/

VAisForEagleLovers
05-10-2012, 11:39 PM
This one came in a Google alert. Glenn says he is doing "a couple of shows in California". http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/05/10/tiam-a-circus-the-middle-east/

OK, that's just weird...

timfan
05-11-2012, 07:34 AM
"A couple of shows in California and then we'll see after that" Sounds promising of possible additional dates!!

Glennsallnighter
05-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Yes it does indeed. Come on Glenn 💗. Take us out of our misery!

I would guess he will see how well these shows go and will plan after them. So hopefully by the end of the month we might hear something. Only saying!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Not sure when they added this on Facebook, but there's a 'listen' on Glenn's Facebook page and it's linked to Spotify. After clicking on it, Hotel California by Yoyo International Orchestra started playing. Followed by Drivin' Wheel (Glenn Frey, B.B. King). I guess I'll let it go and see what comes next...

VAisForEagleLovers
05-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Just dropped into my News Feed

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/story/2012-04-27/glenn-frey-music-interview/54970108/1

Freypower
05-15-2012, 05:27 PM
So there was some truth in the 'restaurant' story after all.

GlennLover
05-15-2012, 07:01 PM
So there was some truth in the 'restaurant' story after all.

LOL! I was going to go back & find the original post & bring it forward & comment. I guess we are too quick to judge, but there is so much crap written about the guys that we can't help being cynical when we read stuff like this.

Koala
05-16-2012, 08:37 AM
http://www.wmgk.com/shows/john-debella/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10383308

Glenn Frey on the phone, nice interview!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Glenn did an interview today on the Dennis Miller show, but the link is premium content. I'm listening to it and I'll take notes and let everyone know if there's anything new!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Nothing really new... He hired the kids from Santa Monica High School when he had the 'opportunity' to do a recreation of the making of the album (the teaser) and his intent was to just have the kids there for that, but they were so good, he decided to have them do the concert with him at the Wiltern.

Dennis took the opportunity to tell him that in years to come, the 'standards' that people will admire and want to cover are the great songs written by Henley and Frey. Glenn said that in an era of short careers, they managed to author a long one, and that the credit for that goes to their fans. Nice touch, humble touch, but you know, if the music hadn't been great, the fans would have scattered, so... Dennis backed my thought up completely by telling Glenn again how great the Eagles songs truly are.

Glennsallnighter
05-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks VA! the more we hear about Glenn :heart: the better!

sodascouts
05-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Thanks for finding this info guys and VA, thanks for the summary. I'm linking to what you guys find from GFO (http://www.glennfreyonline.com) too - so you guys are helping out both the board and the site.

I gotta say, I am loving all this press!

lizzyplays
05-17-2012, 07:04 AM
Nothing really new... He hired the kids from Santa Monica High School when he had the 'opportunity' to do a recreation of the making of the album (the teaser) and his intent was to just have the kids there for that, but they were so good, he decided to have them do the concert with him at the Wiltern.

Dennis took the opportunity to tell him that in years to come, the 'standards' that people will admire and want to cover are the great songs written by Henley and Frey. Glenn said that in an era of short careers, they managed to author a long one, and that the credit for that goes to their fans. Nice touch, humble touch, but you know, if the music hadn't been great, the fans would have scattered, so... Dennis backed my thought up completely by telling Glenn again how great the Eagles songs truly are.

I love this!

GlennLover
05-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Got this Google alert. Video of Glenn talking about "After Hours" & the Eagles. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/ent-22186814/glenn-frey-on-new-solo-record-eagles-29331875.html#crsl=%252Fvideo%252Fent-22186814%252Fglenn-frey-on-new-solo-record-eagles-29331875.html

Isn't he gorgeous, as always?

ETA: Here is a link to the written article:http://news.yahoo.com/glenn-frey-releases-album-favorite-standards-121949704.html There are two new pictures dated May 7, 2012. :inlove:

GlennLover
05-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Another Google alert! In this artcle Glenn talks about tonight's show & says that he is excited because he will have some of his relatives there. Says his father is from Nazareth, PA & his aunt Betty Jane (his father's sister) will be in attendance. http://blogs.mcall.com/lehighvalleymusic/2012/05/how-the-lehigh-valley-helped-inspire-eagles-singerguitarists-first-solo-disc-in-20-years.html

Glennsallnighter
05-19-2012, 03:54 AM
What a lovely cute article! You can almost 'hear' him on the phone! KWIM?

GlennLover
05-19-2012, 06:10 AM
What a lovely cure article! You can almost 'hear' him on the phone! KWIM?

I sure do know what you mean GA!!!! Here is another one where I was "hearing him speak" as I read it: http://blogs.mcall.com/lehighvalleymusic/2012/05/gabbing-with-glenn-frey-the-eagles-singerguitarist-talks-about-new-solo-disc-bands-future-.html

VAisForEagleLovers
05-19-2012, 08:55 AM
What a nice article!

GlennLover
05-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Another Google alert to Billboard Magazine's To 200: http://www.billboard.com/column/chartbeat/weekly-chart-notes-lmfao-the-voice-dee-snider-1007098752.story#/column/chartbeat/weekly-chart-notes-lmfao-the-voice-dee-snider-1007098752.story?page=2

EAGLE FLIES SOLO:Glenn Frey (http://www.billboard.com/column/chartbeat/artist/glenn-frey/62230) debuts on the Billboard 200 for the first time since 1988, when "Soul Searchin' " reached No. 36, as his new jazz-influenced pop standards album "After Hours" (his first studio set since "Strange Weather" in 1992, which fell short of the Billboard 200) bows at No. 116.

There is a bit more to the article but it is mostly a repeat of what Glenn has said in other interviews on "After Hours".

scottside
05-19-2012, 11:37 AM
That is excellent news! I was hoping AFTER HOURS would debut higher, but I doubt it's getting much radio play so I'm sure it's done as well as it has due to Glenn's tireless radio and press availablity. I hope it continues to sell and that it can prove all the naysayers wrong.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Another Google alert to Billboard Magazine's To 200: http://www.billboard.com/column/chartbeat/weekly-chart-notes-lmfao-the-voice-dee-snider-1007098752.story#/column/chartbeat/weekly-chart-notes-lmfao-the-voice-dee-snider-1007098752.story?page=2

There is a bit more to the article but it is mostly a repeat of what Glenn has said in other interviews on "After Hours".

This is wonderful news!

Freypower
05-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Look, I'm happy with that. Congratulations to him. It's been a long time. :cheers:

Glennsallnighter
05-20-2012, 06:17 AM
I'm delighted for him too. A lot of positivity is coming out between the concerts and now this.

Brooke
05-21-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm so happy for Glenn! This is great news! Maybe he will schedule some more dates! :pray:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Not sure what to make of this CD review.

http://meviomusic.mevio.com/2012/05/18/glenn-frey-gets-his-kicks-on-route-66/

VAisForEagleLovers
05-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Glenn will be on Leno tomorrow night!! (May 22)

http://www.interbridge.com/lineupsdate.html

GlennLover
05-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Not sure what to make of this CD review.

http://meviomusic.mevio.com/2012/05/18/glenn-frey-gets-his-kicks-on-route-66/

If, on the other hand, you’re a fan of the great singers of the era of great singers (Frank Sinatra, Dinah Washington, Tony Bennett, Nat Cole, Judy Garland, Billie Holiday – so many more) it’s hard to find much in this set to get overly excited about. It’s not so much that Frey isn’t an excellent vocalist, it’s just that these arrangements don’t do a lot to showcase that fact. Considering that Frey was noted among The Eagles as “The Lone Arranger” it’s a bit of a disappointment.
Where’s Nelson Riddle when you need him?

Is this person listening to the same album as we are? The article is very complimentary to Glenn, but certainly not to the arrangements of the songs on AH. :headscratch:

GlennLover
05-21-2012, 10:46 PM
Glenn will be on Leno tomorrow night!! (May 22)

http://www.interbridge.com/lineupsdate.html

WOO HOO!

Brooke
05-22-2012, 10:04 AM
:yay: Setting dvr right now!

lizzyplays
05-22-2012, 10:06 AM
I sure do know what you mean GA!!!! Here is another one where I was "hearing him speak" as I read it: http://blogs.mcall.com/lehighvalleymusic/2012/05/gabbing-with-glenn-frey-the-eagles-singerguitarist-talks-about-new-solo-disc-bands-future-.html
:inlove:
I was smiling the entire time that I read this!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Is this person listening to the same album as we are? The article is very complimentary to Glenn, but certainly not to the arrangements of the songs on AH. :headscratch:

The guy didn't get the fact that Glenn didn't want to take a standard and change it up, he wanted to sing it as it was originally sung. Duh! Some people don't consider a review complete unless there's something negative in there. I guess this is what he picked. I would have chosen to say 'there's only 14 when there's room for 17 on the disc...' :razz:

zeldabjr
05-22-2012, 05:28 PM
I can't wait to see Glenn on Leno... I get very excited whenever I get to see any of the boys on TV...I wasn't so much like this before I saw them live...I don't know what happened?

VAisForEagleLovers
05-22-2012, 10:44 PM
Just saw the promo for the show tonight, and Glenn's looking good in a gray snazzy suit!

Topkat
05-23-2012, 07:09 AM
I saw Glenn was on Leno last night. I was watching it & I fell asleep before he came on. What did he sing on Leno???

prayfordaylight
05-23-2012, 08:25 AM
Route 66

GlennLover
05-23-2012, 08:48 AM
He was great! He wore the silvery gray suit & navy shirt. He looked relaxed & like he was enjoying himself, as I'm sure he was. He probably is getting more & more comfortable, as those who have been to more that one of his "After Hours" concerts will attest. He did a bit of vocal adlibbing at the end, more than just the "woo hoo". Jay mentioned his upcoming concert at the Wiltern.

Windeagle
05-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Agreed that he looked more relaxed. I thought this performance was much better than the one he did on the Today show before he started the tour.

GlennLover
05-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Agreed that he looked more relaxed. I thought this performance was much better than the one he did on the Today show before he started the tour.

Yes, so did I.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Halfway through the song, it began storming and the power flicked off, so I missed the end! Then forgot my local station repeats the show in the middle of the night, I could have set the DVR. I guess I'll be finding it on Leno's website later and watching it there!

sodascouts
05-23-2012, 09:56 AM
I fell asleep waiting for it, dang it! All this traveling is catching up to me. I'll check it out on the Tonight Show website once it's posted.

timfan
05-23-2012, 10:54 AM
I believe the episode has been posted on the NBC site (http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/video/tuesday-may-22-2012/1403219). Unfortunately it's only available to be viewed in USA so I can't see it!

Windeagle
05-23-2012, 11:06 AM
I recorded it on the DVR and watched it on the treadmill this morning. It was only a performance. There was no interview, so if you blinked, you would have missed it. Still, the performance was good. Glenn looked refreshed and happy. He's probably glad to be home.

sodascouts
05-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Gracias, timfan!

ETA: Just watched it - it's at the end, around minute 38. He is adorable! Love it!

Henley Honey
05-23-2012, 01:15 PM
His voice sounded a little scratchy to me, but he still pulled it off beautifully. Poor Sugar must be tired after his East Coast leg of his retirement party. Hope he rests up before the Wiltern.

zeldabjr
05-23-2012, 04:34 PM
He sang Route66

timfan
05-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Found a Canadian station to view last nights Tonight Show ( don't know if it's vewiable elsewhere in the world tho) This is Glenn's section of the show only...
http://shows.ctv.ca/TonightShowwithJayLeno/video.aspx#clip684913

Koala
05-24-2012, 12:32 AM
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120523/entlife/705239838/

Glenn Frey releases new album with old standards

Koala
05-24-2012, 12:46 AM
Found a Canadian station to view last nights Tonight Show ( don't know if it's vewiable elsewhere in the world tho) This is Glenn's section of the show only...

thanks for the link, unfortunately I can't see The video, like most of the videos unless they are not on youtube! :)

Glennhoney
05-24-2012, 05:48 PM
..thank you so much..:yay:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-24-2012, 07:58 PM
After Hours now available for pre-order in the UK with the following retailers (cut and pasted from Glenn's website):

After Hours UK Pre-Order Available Now

Glenn Frey's new album After Hours is now available for pre-order in the UK. A full list of online retailers can be found below:

STANDARD
Amazon UK (http://smarturl.it/glennstam)
Play.com (http://smarturl.it/glennstplay)
HMV (http://smarturl.it/glennsthmv)
DELUXE
Amazon UK (http://smarturl.it/glenndelam)
Play.com (http://smarturl.it/glenndelplay)
HMV (http://smarturl.it/glenndelhmv)

Glennsallnighter
05-24-2012, 08:26 PM
At last! :yay::yay::yay:The UK releases are usually Irish release dates too!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-24-2012, 08:42 PM
Oh, and I went out to Amazon and posted my review of the CD...

Koala
05-25-2012, 12:26 AM

Very cool review!:-)

Glennsallnighter
05-25-2012, 03:00 AM

Will you post a link to your Amazon review VA?

I started one at the weekend but then other more important things like organising an impromptu trip to LA took over!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-25-2012, 09:30 AM
I don't know how to post it without giving people access to change it and charge things to my account!

If you want to look at all the reviews and see mine in the mix, I'm the one named VK. Imagine! After I posted it, I thought of other and better things to say. I might change it, we'll see how I feel this afternoon.

GlennLover
05-25-2012, 01:14 PM

I noticed on Amazon.ca when I went to check out some recommendations that I got in an e mail they sent me that "AF"'had one very short but very bad review I plan to go back & write my review when I am feeling better I had planned to check out .com too so I am glad to hear that you posted one VA!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Very nice article, IMO.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-glenn-frey-20120526,0,529011.story

Glennsallnighter
05-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Nice find VA! Great early morning reading!

GlennLover
05-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Very nice article, IMO.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-glenn-frey-20120526,0,529011.story
Very nice article, IMO.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-glenn-frey-20120526,0,529011.story[/QUOTE

I thought so too. A few comments:

He and his wife, Cindy, married in 1990, three children followed, and the rock star found that birthday cakes became a bigger priority than album release dates.

The man has his priorities straight!

"I told Alex this is now 'Flat Bed Ford to Dark Side,'" Frey said with a wink. "I told him, 'We're not really the cheery sort, Alex, you know? You think you know dark? We'll show you dark. But, you know, there's a lot there already, it's about 80% done and there's going to be two DVDs, 1971 to 1980 and 1994 to the present. We'll see where it all leads next year…"

Happy to hear that it is 80% done but then he says "we'll see where it all leads next year I hope he is referring to after the DVD is released & not indicating that it won't be released until next year.

It also says that it won't be another 20 years until he makes another solo record!

Brooke
05-26-2012, 10:03 AM
I sure hope the dvd comes out this year. Hasn't he said 'by Christmas'?

I really love the cd. Even though this isn't my favorite kind of music, it hasn't left my cd player in my car since I got it! Just love his voice no matter what he's singing! :heart:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-26-2012, 11:00 AM
I sure hope the dvd comes out this year. Hasn't he said 'by Christmas'?

I really love the cd. Even though this isn't my favorite kind of music, it hasn't left my cd player in my car since I got it! Just love his voice no matter what he's singing! :heart:

He said in a following interview that the DVD would be out 'for the new year'. So take that as you will.

I still have an Eagles CD in my CD player, but the MP3 player that's plugged in has the After Hours playlist plugged in. I was going back and forth, but lately I've stuck with the MP3 player! At this rate I'll forget how to work the radio...

timfan
05-26-2012, 12:57 PM
well as we know in "Eagles world" nothing is until it is! so whenever the new DVD comes out I'll look forward to it! :headbang:

Freypower
05-29-2012, 08:41 PM
After Hours is now available for pre-order in the UK:

http://www.glennfreyafterhours.com/

Glennsallnighter
05-30-2012, 08:04 AM
Yeah FP. I don't doubt you at all but I've been hearing this for the last few months and the date keeps changing. It's still not available until 25 June.

I'd advise any Europeans thinking of ordering it to work via amazon.com

Freypower
05-30-2012, 06:35 PM
I can only say that the site gives a specific list of retailers including amazon.co.uk.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/After-Hours-Glenn-Frey/dp/B007KCG6Z4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338417244&sr=8-1

Glennsallnighter
05-30-2012, 06:56 PM
And it only appears to be the standard version on offer too!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-30-2012, 07:04 PM
After Hours now available for pre-order in the UK with the following retailers (cut and pasted from Glenn's website):

After Hours UK Pre-Order Available Now

Glenn Frey's new album After Hours is now available for pre-order in the UK. A full list of online retailers can be found below:

STANDARD
Amazon UK (http://smarturl.it/glennstam)
Play.com (http://smarturl.it/glennstplay)
HMV (http://smarturl.it/glennsthmv)
DELUXE
Amazon UK (http://smarturl.it/glenndelam)
Play.com (http://smarturl.it/glenndelplay)
HMV (http://smarturl.it/glenndelhmv)

GA, did you try these links?

Koala
05-31-2012, 12:40 AM
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2012/05/30/2542370/eagles-mainstay-glenn-frey-savors.html

Eagles mainstay Glenn Frey savors the 'After Hours'

prayfordaylight
06-01-2012, 08:24 PM
This was in today's People Magazine. Sorry for the low quality.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/250819_10100135052884745_1400117_41240376_18275216 80_n.jpg

VAisForEagleLovers
06-01-2012, 09:20 PM
"...not nearly mercenary enough to put together some massive campaign to capitalize on our anniversary."

Well...OK then. They had better be mercenary enough to do it (or something) next year. Since I can't see them doing it for free...

Glennsallnighter
06-02-2012, 10:22 AM
They had indeed!

I love 'Glennie, you did good'. I'd say that means the world to him!

lizzyplays
06-02-2012, 12:07 PM
I loved "The most unattractive thing is middle aged adolescence."

VAisForEagleLovers
06-02-2012, 12:09 PM
I loved "The most unattractive thing is middle aged adolescence."

Because it is so absolutely true!! Don't get me started on this... The drama that is surrounding me at the moment has me thinking about moving to another state.

GlennLover
06-02-2012, 01:03 PM
They had indeed!

I love 'Glennie, you did good'. I'd say that means the world to him!

I found that very touching when I read that.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-02-2012, 07:28 PM
On an internet radio station based in Pennsylvania, Glenn has been 'on the charts' for three weeks. He's at 84 this week with 'After Hours'.

http://www.keystonehighways.com/files/wbru20120609.pdf

Glennhoney
06-02-2012, 07:31 PM
.sweet...:thumbsup:

Freypower
06-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Here is a mixed review of After Hours.

http://www.tunetribune.com/2012/05/19/review-freys-after-hours/

Some of the nitpicking about how he sings some syllables in his rock voice seems unnecessary to me when the entire review basicallyl chides him for NOT making the songs into rock or 'blues' or 'honky tonk' songs. I don't agree that he is 'forced' into his lower register at all. Neither do I agree in any way that he cannot carry off Look Of Love or Shadow Of Your Smile. The 'taste of rural authenticity' stuff is a patronising rebuke of a man who was born in a big city & knows this music like the back of his hand.

Anyway, I guess it's good to see a lengthy review, even if the writer basically wants Glenn to stick to 'rural rock'.

Freypower
06-02-2012, 07:44 PM
And here is another one; frankly, I have no idea what this guy is trying to say, except that Glenn didn't satisfy HIM. 'Uninspired'? Vocals 'DISPASSIONATE'?!

It's always good to get other perspectives, and I like constructive criticism, but to call this album 'vapid' is misguided & wrong.

http://www.vocalstandards.com/2012/05/glenn-freys-after-hours-lp-doesnt-soar-like-an-eagle/

What is it with some people that they only think singing is good when the singer scats & emotes all over the place & forgets about the actual lyrics? I am not going to give examples but one of the reasons I think Glenn is a great singer is that he has never done that. He doesn't do a lot of vocal 'improvising' if you like apart from some 'oohs'. He doesn't have to. It is the lyrics & melody first & foremost.

Though short, this is better:

http://newbeats.com/2012/05/30/cd-review-glenn-frey/

In this one, Glenn's 'vocals do not stand out' and he is 'trying too hard'.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/158497-glenn-frey-after-hours/

VAisForEagleLovers
06-02-2012, 07:51 PM
And here is another one; frankly, I have no idea what this guy is trying to say, except that Glenn didn't satisfy HIM. 'Uninspired'? Vocals 'DISPASSIONATE'?!

It's always good to get other perspectives, and I like constructive criticism, but to call this album 'vapid' is misguided & wrong.

What is it with some people that they only think singing is good when the singer scats & emotes all over the place & forgets about the actual lyrics? I am not going to give examples but one of the reasons I think Glenn is a great singer is that he has never done that. He doesn't do a lot of vocal 'improvising' if you like apart from some 'oohs'. He doesn't have to. It is the lyrics & melody first & foremost.

Though short, this is better:

http://newbeats.com/2012/05/30/cd-review-glenn-frey/

In this one, Glenn's 'vocals do not stand out' and he is 'trying too hard'.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/158497-glenn-frey-after-hours/

FP, did you miss putting a link in for the top one? The 'vapid' one?

Freypower
06-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Yes, and I have just fixed it now. :computer:

VAisForEagleLovers
06-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Here's another one I found. Interesting. I thought I posted it before, but I can't find it, so...

http://www.andmagazine.com/content/phoenix/12257.html

VAisForEagleLovers
06-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Yes, and I have just fixed it now. :computer:

OK, now read the comments. Let's see...who might 'eagleschic' be? At least the guy was 'happy' to hear alternative viewpoints. I still can't figure out what he was listening to, though. Maybe his ears need to be cleaned or something. I hear PASSION. Vapid?? I've listened over and over (hehe, just had to) and I don't hear vapid.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-02-2012, 07:58 PM
And more press, Fox News this time.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1668718520001/eagles-front-man-glenn-frey-releases-6th-solo-album

Freypower
06-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Though it pained me to click on Fox News that was nice; there must be more new concert footage out there....

That last review VK posted was pretty good. I know that it may have rubbed people up the wrong way to envisage a rock singer doing this sort of material; that is fair enough if they feel that way. However I do object to the 'he can't carry it off' stuff because that is wrong. He will not sing these songs the exact way they were written because that isn't the point. I think the whole project is just brave. It no longer bothers me whether it sells or not.

GlennLover
06-02-2012, 10:45 PM
On an internet radio station based in Pennsylvania, Glenn has been 'on the charts' for three weeks. He's at 84 this week with 'After Hours'.

http://www.keystonehighways.com/files/wbru20120609.pdf

It now shows him as 64 for this week & 84 for last. The green arrow indicates that it is a climber.

HOT 68 84 3 pGLENN FREY - After Hours "After Hours"

GlennLover
06-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Here is a mixed review of After Hours.

http://www.tunetribune.com/2012/05/19/review-freys-after-hours/

Some of the nitpicking about how he sings some syllables in his rock voice seems unnecessary to me when the entire review basicallyl chides him for NOT making the songs into rock or 'blues' or 'honky tonk' songs. I don't agree that he is 'forced' into his lower register at all. Neither do I agree in any way that he cannot carry off Look Of Love or Shadow Of Your Smile. The 'taste of rural authenticity' stuff is a patronising rebuke of a man who was born in a big city & knows this music like the back of his hand.

Anyway, I guess it's good to see a lengthy review, even if the writer basically wants Glenn to stick to 'rural rock'.

I couldn't agree with you more, FP!!!!

lizzyplays
06-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Because it is so absolutely true!! Don't get me started on this... The drama that is surrounding me at the moment has me thinking about moving to another state.

Awwww... I hope you're ok V?! But, if you're considering a move to L.A. and need a roommate... I'm your gal!! :-D

But seriously... hope everything is ok... :grouphug: