PDA

View Full Version : Press and Discussion about Glenn's new album "After Hours"

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

VAisForEagleLovers
06-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Awwww... I hope you're ok V?! But, if you're considering a move to L.A. and need a roommate... I'm your gal!! :-D

But seriously... hope everything is ok... :grouphug:

Thank you, LP! I'm fine, I'll muddle through. It's a public board so I won't go into details, but it really is middle age adolescence!

GlennLover
06-02-2012, 11:30 PM
The reviews for this album are all over the place! They certainly aren't consistant. One reviewer doesn't like Glenn's choice of songs. Another says he chose well. One doesn't like "The Shadow of Your Smile" & "The Look of Love" yet another thinks that they are the best songs on the album! "Route 66" has been both panned & praised.

Some reviewers say that Glenn's voice suits the songs perfectly & others say it doesn't suit them at all. His singing has been described both as passionate & dispassionate (this guy really couldn't have been listening to the same album)!

Comparisons to Rod Stewart vary greatly. One review said that Glenn blew Rod out of the water, so to speak, while another says Glenn's renditions don't compare.

I won't belabour my point anymore, but it seems to me that many people didn't know what to expect when the album was announced & still don't know what to make of it now that they have heard it.

Anyhow, all that matters to me is that I love it!!!

GlennLover
06-02-2012, 11:35 PM
Awwww... I hope you're ok V?! But, if you're considering a move to L.A. and need a roommate... I'm your gal!! :-D

But seriously... hope everything is ok... :grouphug:

So do I, VA!

Windeagle
06-03-2012, 07:57 AM
I won't belabour my point anymore, but it seems to me that many people didn't know what to expect when the album was announced & still don't know what to make of it now that they have heard it.

Anyhow, all that matters to me is that I love it!!!

I'm finding that the more I listen to it, the more it's growing on me. Many of the songs keep getting stuck in my head, particularly after seeing them done live. Reviewers don't have that luxury, I guess. It's first impression only, and if you're expecting something else, that impression might not be good.

Freypower
06-03-2012, 06:46 PM
I'm glad it appears to be quietly climbing the charts (thanks GA). This is encouraging.

In the interests of - whatever- there was one comment in one of the reviews that I partially agreed with, which was about the songs having been chosen on the basis of 'affection' rather than on the basis of whether they would form a coherent whole. There is something in this; the album does take four songs to start hitting its groove (for me, I would have placed For Sentimental Reasons closer to the middle, and as for My Buddy while it's good to get it out of the way, perhaps it would have been better nearer the end).

And yet.... of course he chose the songs out of 'affection'. He is not a critic. He did what he believed it was right for him to do.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-03-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm sorry, FP, I can't read what you wrote because I'm distracted by your sig. :woah::fainting::jawdrop: I think you need to post at least a hundred things this week and I promise to read them next week.

Glennsallnighter
06-04-2012, 05:03 AM
Looks like it will be released in Europe!

http://www.entertainment-focus.com/news/glenn-frey-set-to-release-new-album-after-hours

VAisForEagleLovers
06-04-2012, 10:02 AM
OK, I think I can respond to FP's post coherently now. The sig really is distracting!

Yes, there is a lack of 'cohesiveness'. The songs are all over the place in style and even time period. Had he found a niche within the Standards genre, other critics would have zinged him for having too much the same and not enough variety. A no-win situation for him. It reminds me of the reviews I read of the FW1 tour that said the Eagles just kept churning out the same hits over and over, then for the LROOE tour those same critics zinged them for including new songs, that fans want to hear the hits. Sometimes the critics talk just to hear themselves.

Actually, After Hours has fallen off the Billboard charts. Fell off after the first week. I'm guessing that means we haven't bought enough copies or gotten the word out enough!! It definitely deserves to be on the charts ahead of some of the stuff I saw on the list.

Freypower
06-04-2012, 05:36 PM
OK, I think I can respond to FP's post coherently now. The sig really is distracting!

Yes, there is a lack of 'cohesiveness'. The songs are all over the place in style and even time period. Had he found a niche within the Standards genre, other critics would have zinged him for having too much the same and not enough variety. A no-win situation for him. It reminds me of the reviews I read of the FW1 tour that said the Eagles just kept churning out the same hits over and over, then for the LROOE tour those same critics zinged them for including new songs, that fans want to hear the hits. Sometimes the critics talk just to hear themselves.

Actually, After Hours has fallen off the Billboard charts. Fell off after the first week. I'm guessing that means we haven't bought enough copies or gotten the word out enough!! It definitely deserves to be on the charts ahead of some of the stuff I saw on the list.

To be completely realistic I didn't expect it to chart at all. At least it did chart, unlike Strange Weather.

I also really don't know how the Frey fans on this board were meant to get the word out to others, especially as even only a handful of Borderers were interested in it. I would only say to other Borderers that that they should give it a try & they may be pleasantly surprised.

sodascouts
06-04-2012, 09:32 PM
I don't know, I would say we have more than a "handful" but I tend to be a bit more positive than some. At any rate, posts about it show up in search engine crawls, so if it makes you feel any better, just by posting you're helping "spread the word"!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-04-2012, 09:41 PM
That's what I meant, Soda, the posts and reviews and comments on things like Amazon. I also wear the t-shirt a lot and get comments on it and so explain it.

Speaking of t-shirt... I finally got my vinyl copy of After Hours...sans the bundled t-shirt! It's not on the packing list and it looks like a direct shipment from the manufacturer to me. So now I need to figure out who to contact and how for the t-shirt.

Freypower
06-04-2012, 10:57 PM
I don't know, I would say we have more than a "handful" but I tend to be a bit more positive than some. At any rate, posts about it show up in search engine crawls, so if it makes you feel any better, just by posting you're helping "spread the word"!

Soda, I am not being negative, but at the moment I am not sure that always posting things like 'I absolutely love it' or 'I love how he sings on it' is any more than just stating the 'bleeding obvious' to quote John Cleese.

I will say though that for me, May 2012 was one of, if not the BEST months I have ever had in my 33 years of being a Glenn Frey fanatic. It was a joy from start to finish, and my only regret is that he didn 't sustain it and build on it.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Soda, I am not being negative, but at the moment I am not sure that always posting things like 'I absolutely love it' or 'I love how he sings on it' is any more than just stating the 'bleeding obvious' to quote John Cleese.

I will say though that for me, May 2012 was one of, if not the BEST months I have ever had in my 33 years of being a Glenn Frey fanatic. It was a joy from start to finish, and my only regret is that he didn 't sustain it and build on it.

Yes, May was an awesome month...

Glennsallnighter
06-05-2012, 02:51 AM
May was indeed an awesome month for any Frey fans! I have been 'spreading the word' over here too and lots of people that I have played some or all of the CD for have given very favourable comments. I have also given some people copies of the CD (at this stage Infeel like a distributor) I got a message from Glenn Frey (lol- actually the online GF store, but that's how it comes up in my email) that my vinyl and shirt would ship on May 29th so I am eagerly waiting their arrival

VAisForEagleLovers
06-05-2012, 09:36 AM
I got a message from Glenn Frey (lol- actually the online GF store, but that's how it comes up in my email) that my vinyl and shirt would ship on May 29th so I am eagerly waiting their arrival

I got the same email! When I clicked the link, it said the estimated delivery date was 6/08. I got the vinyl yesterday. I'll give it a few days to see if I get the shirt.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Glenn on with Jim Ladd on Deep Tracks, 6pm this evening (SiriusXM, Channel 27).

Glennsallnighter
06-05-2012, 04:00 PM
My vinyl arrived today and it is truly a thing of beauty. But I didn't get my
T shirt either. Strange. Maybe they ran out and are waiting for another delivery. I'll wait a few days too. If you hear anything VA please let me know

VAisForEagleLovers
06-05-2012, 06:11 PM

It's apparently 7pm EDT, not 6pm!!

Freypower
06-05-2012, 06:50 PM
At some point I need to take it out of the car & replace it with Analog Man when that arrives. To quote REM 'I don't know if I can do it'!!! :thud:

sodascouts
06-05-2012, 07:26 PM
It's apparently 7pm EDT, not 6pm!!

No, it's 6 pm alright - 6 pm PACIFIC time! It won't be on until 9:00 your time, 8:00 mine.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I guessed that. The show starts at 7pm Eastern, but Glenn won't be on until later. So I'm thinking it's live?

sodascouts
06-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Hard to say. He could just be playing a pre-recorded interview at 6 pm Pacific. Still, he seemed to imply it was live.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-05-2012, 07:47 PM
My vinyl arrived today and it is truly a thing of beauty. But I didn't get my
T shirt either. Strange. Maybe they ran out and are waiting for another delivery. I'll wait a few days too. If you hear anything VA please let me know

They actually called me because I linked that account with one for Joe's stuff and I signed up for his fan club today and that did NOT go well for me. I figured I'd see what showed up on my credit card bill but they noticed it and called me. So after we got that fixed, I asked about this. They were unaware that the vinyl had shipped already and he said my t-shirt was shipped last Friday and I should have it soon. I told him 'a friend in Ireland' had the same thing happen and he said yours should have shipped as well (he wouldn't give me info on your account even if I'd asked).

GlennLover
06-05-2012, 07:55 PM

I was able to sign on to SiriusXM through a 2wk free trail. Just heard Jim Ladd say Glenn would be on in about an hour.

Freypower
06-05-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm glad he's still doing promotion. Keep it up, Glenn!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-05-2012, 08:15 PM
I switched over the baseball game. I set the timer so I don't forget to turn it back!

Glennsallnighter
06-06-2012, 04:15 AM
They actually called me because I linked that account with one for Joe's stuff and I signed up for his fan club today and that did NOT go well for me. I figured I'd see what showed up on my credit card bill but they noticed it and called me. So after we got that fixed, I asked about this. They were unaware that the vinyl had shipped already and he said my t-shirt was shipped last Friday and I should have it soon. I told him 'a friend in Ireland' had the same thing happen and he said yours should have shipped as well (he wouldn't give me info on your account even if I'd asked).

Thanks for checking that up on that for me VA! I wouldn't mind you getting info on my account but I guess they have to have the same rules for everyone! Hopefully I'll get my t-shirt soon enough.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Hey, GA, I just got my t-shirt delivered!

Glennsallnighter
06-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Cool VA. My vinyl was a day behind yours so I guess as its Freyday today I should get mine Monday!

Are you wearing it yet? :wink:

VAisForEagleLovers
06-08-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm going to a friend's house for dinner, might wear it then.

Freypower
06-08-2012, 11:31 PM
This is nice:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-84319-glenn-frey-after-hours-180g-lp.aspx

But I would not describe the album as 'cheerful':

http://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/music/glenn-freys-after-hours-is-a-cheerful-covers-album

VAisForEagleLovers
06-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Thank you, FP! Though I'm a cab-drinker myself...

I did not wear the new t-shirt to dinner, we were eating outside, so no black tshirts. I bought yet another copy of After Hours as a hostess gift and my friends LOVED it. We played it during dinner and since it was seafood, it was a nice CA white and these amazing songs with it. What a great evening.

Glennsallnighter
06-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Sounds like you had a lovely evening VA. Thats what I do too! I just play the album in front of my friends and let it speak for itself. Its not long before I generally hear
'Thats a great CD. Who is it?'

'Oooh, I LIKE that song'

'Who's that singing Route 66? Its GOOD'

etc!

lizzyplays
06-09-2012, 12:50 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this but I was as happy as a monk in house of ill repute when it arrived!!! :hilarious::oops:

Thanks VA for getting this for me!! :hug::xoxo:

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s497/lizzyplays/IMG_0727.jpg

VAisForEagleLovers
06-09-2012, 01:22 PM
You are very welcome, LP!! Sorry it took so long to get it sent, but I'm glad you were so 'elated' to get it. :hug: and :xoxo: to you too!

lizzyplays
06-09-2012, 01:30 PM
The best things in life are worth waiting for!!!

Windeagle
06-09-2012, 05:42 PM
That's the one I bought too. Even my daughter, the budding graphic designer who rolls her eyes at all things Eagles, thought the design was great.

Glennsallnighter
06-09-2012, 05:48 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this but I was as happy as a monk in house of ill repute when it arrived!!! :hilarious::oops:

Thanks VA for getting this for me!! :hug::xoxo:

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s497/lizzyplays/IMG_0727.jpg

I'm wearing my one of those shirts right now as I type!

Freypower
06-09-2012, 10:49 PM
I obviously can't wear mine in the middle of winter. :sigh:

lizzyplays
06-09-2012, 11:31 PM
That's the one I bought too. Even my daughter, the budding graphic designer who rolls her eyes at all things Eagles, thought the design was great.

I absolutely loved the graphic!!! And the coloring.. I'm into the blues/greens thing this year. Mine is simply perfect. i wore it once, but I think im going to preserve it at this point, along with my Eagles tshirt.

timfan
06-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Just posted on Glenn's Facebook account:

Glenn sat down with Art of the Song to discuss his new album, After Hours and the Eagles writing process. Listen to the full conversation here (http://www.artofthesong.org/tune-in/popup-player?file=%2Ffiles%2Fshows%2F389GlennFrey59.mp3&show_title=Special%20Guest%3A%20Glenn%20Frey%20%7C %20%3Ca%20href%3D%22%2Ffiles%2Fplaylists%2F389Glen nFrey59.pdf%22%3EPlaylist%3C%2Fa%3E%20%20%3Ca%20st yle%3D%22text-decoration%3A%20none%3B%22%20href%3D%22http%3A%2F% 2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fsharer.php%3Fu%3Dhttp%253A%25 2F%252Fwww.artofthesong.org%252F%26amp%3Bt%3DArt%2 520of%2520the%2520Song%2520Creativity%2520Radio%25 20Presents%253A%26amp%3Bsrc%3Dsp%22%20type%3D%22ic on_link%22%20name%3D%22fb_share%22%3E%3Cspan%20cla ss%3D%22FBConnectButton_Simple%22%3E%3Cspan%20clas s%3D%22FBConnectButton_Text_Simple%22%3EShare%3C%2 Fspan%3E%3C%2Fspan%3E%3C%2Fa%3E%3Cscript%20type%3D %22text%2Fjavascript%22%20src%3D%22http%3A%2F%2Fst atic.ak.fbcdn.net%2Fconnect.php%2Fjs%2FFB.Share%22 %3E%3C%2Fscript%3E&show_sub_title=Listen%20to%20the%20entire%20show%2 0%7C%2059%3A00).

VAisForEagleLovers
06-11-2012, 08:23 PM
As a point of reference, this interview was done before the Eagles Atlanta shows, so the end of April. They just now aired the interview!

Freypower
06-11-2012, 08:28 PM
And isn't it excellent; I'm still listening. The 'Kauai set' of 'closet intellectuals'; Glenn's equivalent of the notorious Chipping Norton set in the UK with David Cameron, Jeremy Clarkson, etc, except that I think Glenn's 'set' would be rather less smug! (NB: Joke).

Love how he talked about how he practised the songs; singing along with himself in the car!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-11-2012, 08:37 PM
And isn't it excellent; I'm still listening. The 'Kauai set' of 'closet intellectuals'; Glenn's equivalent of the notorious Chipping Norton set in the UK with David Cameron, Jeremy Clarkson, etc, except that I think Glenn's 'set' would be rather less smug! (NB: Joke).

Love how he talked about how he practised the songs; singing along with himself in the car!

Just heard that part! Love the interview so far.

Freypower
06-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Wait until you get to the pneumonia story. Poor Glenn! :applause:

'I've been a rock'n'roll star all my life. Today I'm a musician'.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Can't wait to get there, but I'm listening to TIE now and I love what they did to it!! Very cool.

Freypower
06-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Can't wait to get there, but I'm listening to TIE now and I love what they did to it!! Very cool.

Isn't that just Jackson Browne's version?!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Isn't that just Jackson Browne's version?!

No, they start with Jackson's version and digitally morphed into Eagles for the second verse through the rest of the song. Was pretty seamless...

Freypower
06-11-2012, 08:56 PM
No, they start with Jackson's version and digitally morphed into Eagles for the second verse through the rest of the song. Was pretty seamless...

Sorry; I have to tell you I skipped past it because I wanted to hear more of Glenn talking.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Just heard the story you discussed, FP. How incredibly sweet!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-12-2012, 08:59 AM
I just posted this link over in the Joe Walsh thread as it's an article about Joe and his new CD. http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0611/walshj.html However, he talks a little at the end about Glenn's new CD. Nice words.

Walsh is back working with his old band on a massive retrospective album and movie release called The History of The Eagles. His band mate Glenn Frey is also back with a new solo album but unlike Walsh, he's made an album of smoky, late night classics from the great American song book.
"I've heard it and I'm happy for him," says Walsh. "He's wanted to do that for a long time, songs that were important to him growing up and songs that his parents liked. In order to sing those songs he had to change his style. He had to sing in a way that Glenn Frey never really sang before and so it was a real challenge for him. I think it nailed it pretty good."

Glennsallnighter
06-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Well said Joe! Nice comment! I agree with you!

Freypower
06-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Thank you, Joe. :grooving:

Windeagle
06-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Wait until you get to the pneumonia story. Poor Glenn! :applause:

'I've been a rock'n'roll star all my life. Today I'm a musician'.

Just listened to this interview. That was worth the wait! I love it when we get tidbits we haven't heard before.

Agreed - poor Glenn! It must be like being sick on your birthday. Hopefully playing with the orchestras in NYC and at the Wiltern helped.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-14-2012, 08:12 PM
This was published over a week ago, but I don't remember seeing it here. Good review for Glenn, not so much for Joe.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/05/2834183_p2/california-dreaming-inspires-reunited.html

Freypower
06-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Regarding Here's To Life Streisand recorded it on the album Love Is The Answer. Here it is. Far too cabaret & mannered for me, I'm afraid, especially when she gets to 'I wanna play' & on from there. I'll stick with Glenn's version, thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzrWVF9g3EA

VAisForEagleLovers
06-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Of course I'm biased, but IMO, no one can come close, ever, to the pure perfection of Mr. Frey on Here's To Life. Other than Shirley Horne, of course, although she loses my attention about 2/3 of the way through every time (although to be honest, I've only listened to her version 3 times). For Glenn, that's about where he's hitting his stride. From 3:25 to 3:35 I'm a puddle of goo on the floor. From there to the end I'm completely witless.

GlennLover
06-14-2012, 11:46 PM
Of course I'm biased, but IMO, no one can come close, ever, to the pure perfection of Mr. Frey on Here's To Life. For Glenn, that's about where he's hitting his stride. From 3:25 to 3:35 I'm a puddle of goo on the floor. From there to the end I'm completely witless.

Funny how I have the same reaction! :singer::faint:Sigh!

Freypower
06-15-2012, 12:10 AM
That second delivery of 'and all the joy ..... it BRINGS' is almost operatic. You have no idea what it was like to watch him sing it.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-15-2012, 12:26 AM
I just noticed that it's at 3:13 in the song on my computer. Not sure why it and the MP3 player would be so different. But yes, that's exactly the one that turns me to goo. The vibrato slays me. You have no idea how much I wish I could hear it live. Perhaps it's just as well. I'd melt into a puddle and never recover. However, should he ever schedule more concerts, I'm willing to take the risk!

GlennLover
06-15-2012, 11:09 AM
That second delivery of 'and all the joy ..... it BRINGS' is almost operatic. You have no idea what it was like to watch him sing it.

It's beyond my imagination! Last night right after I read the above posts about this song I went & listened to it several times on my iPod. As I listened, I thought about what it must have been like for you, FP & the others, to have actually been there to experience that momentus occassion! I'm so :jealous: but I am also so thrilled for you. I know how very much it meant to you! :smile:

Glennsallnighter
06-15-2012, 12:00 PM
I'd love you to have been there too! I know I mentioned 'a highlight of the show for me....' so many times. But this truly was! He was fantastic, really wonderful! I hope he does tour again and that he does this song too!

Brooke
06-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Just posted on Glenn's Facebook account:

Glenn sat down with Art of the Song to discuss his new album, After Hours and the Eagles writing process. Listen to the full conversation here (http://www.artofthesong.org/tune-in/popup-player?file=%2Ffiles%2Fshows%2F389GlennFrey59.mp3&show_title=Special%20Guest%3A%20Glenn%20Frey%20%7C %20%3Ca%20href%3D%22%2Ffiles%2Fplaylists%2F389Glen nFrey59.pdf%22%3EPlaylist%3C%2Fa%3E%20%20%3Ca%20st yle%3D%22text-decoration%3A%20none%3B%22%20href%3D%22http%3A%2F% 2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fsharer.php%3Fu%3Dhttp%253A%25 2F%252Fwww.artofthesong.org%252F%26amp%3Bt%3DArt%2 520of%2520the%2520Song%2520Creativity%2520Radio%25 20Presents%253A%26amp%3Bsrc%3Dsp%22%20type%3D%22ic on_link%22%20name%3D%22fb_share%22%3E%3Cspan%20cla ss%3D%22FBConnectButton_Simple%22%3E%3Cspan%20clas s%3D%22FBConnectButton_Text_Simple%22%3EShare%3C%2 Fspan%3E%3C%2Fspan%3E%3C%2Fa%3E%3Cscript%20type%3D %22text%2Fjavascript%22%20src%3D%22http%3A%2F%2Fst atic.ak.fbcdn.net%2Fconnect.php%2Fjs%2FFB.Share%22 %3E%3C%2Fscript%3E&show_sub_title=Listen%20to%20the%20entire%20show%2 0%7C%2059%3A00).

Finally got time to listen to this and loved it! Glenn sounds so softspoken here. I just never imagined him to be like that, more of a rowdy kind of guy!

A few thoughts:

Wouldn't you love to get an audio Christmas card from Glenn and his family?!

He credits Jackson Browne with teaching him how to write a song by listening to him from his upstairs bedroom back in the day and Joni Mitchell for teaching him to love words and reading.

And at the end when he was listening to himself sing with the orchestra and how he was emotional about it. He was 'touched' by himself! Too funny!

Great interview! Thanks for finding it tf!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-15-2012, 03:09 PM
And at the end when he was listening to himself sing with the orchestra and how he was emotional about it. He was 'touched' by himself! Too funny!

I can relate! I think the quote 'I've been a rock'n'roll star all my life. Today I'm a musician' sums up his feelings on it. You know, he's accomplished so much in his life and he downplays his talents a lot, like he doesn't look at his accomplishments all the time as being of real value. Which is good to some extent, because no one needs to walk around loving themselves a little too much. But this was an instance where he couldn't escape it. He heard what we hear and not even he could downplay it.

I think, just to make sure I have these thoughts right, I should listen to the interview again!

Brooke
06-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Yeah I think you're right VA. I didn't mean to say that I thought he was being conceited or anything. You could tell he genuinely was 'touched' or just awestruck by it all and pleased.

Freypower
06-16-2012, 12:45 AM
What I have noticed since the album release is a complete absence of all the self-deprecation. This is an artist who is content with himself and proud of what he has accomplished; and I am proud of him too. :grouphug:

Edit after seeing Joe's album debuted at #12:

Glenn SHOULD be happy with After Hours. Sales are not everything. I do hope that the lack of sales doesn't deter him from recording again the way it did with Strange Weather. I also hope that when he returns to the Eagles he doesn't push himself into the background. He needs to keep his profile high. We want all of this to have been worth it.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-16-2012, 12:52 AM
Brooke - I knew what you meant!

FP - :cheers: I agree! I'm proud of him, too... :grouphug:

Freypower
06-16-2012, 01:34 AM
So in relation to my post above & in relation to Joe's chart success, was Glenn's promotional strategy for After Hours wrong? We have already said he should have toured longer. Should he have released the website earler? Filmed the video earlier? Did he cram too much promotional work into May which ultimately was ineffective?

Or did he do as much as he believed he could have done given that realistically the album was not going to chart for any length of time?

VAisForEagleLovers
06-16-2012, 01:41 AM
Or did he do as much as he believed he could have done given that realistically the album was not going to chart for any length of time?

I'm guessing this one. Not that I agree with the strategy his management team employed but you know? I'm not an expert on it. I just think more promotion/touring before the release date would have helped. And as far as I can tell, all the interviews were with rock radio stations. Seems like some geared towards people who already like Standards/Jazz would have helped.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-16-2012, 02:14 AM
A very nice review!

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2012/jun/15/cd-glenn-freys-emafter-hoursem/?c=122318

VAisForEagleLovers
06-16-2012, 02:19 AM
A UK interview on 7/01:

http://www.absoluteradio.co.uk/onair/events/1319-Glenn+Frey%27s+Rock+Icons

Freypower
06-16-2012, 02:28 AM
That's lovely. That made me feel better.

As for your above post does that mean he will be going to the UK as we hoped? Come on, man. Keep it going.:thumbsup: :blueblob:

Glennsallnighter
06-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Woo boo boo!

Found this earlier on a google alert!

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2012/jun/15/cd-glenn-freys-emafter-hoursem/

VAisForEagleLovers
06-16-2012, 10:10 AM
FP, I think he will be going to the UK and/or Europe in July. He has interviews and they don't sound like they will be over the telephone. If he was going to do concerts while over there, they'd have been announced by now for July.

As for the marketing that was discussed earlier, a major thing left out is that his website is not listed on the Eagles website. A fan hears something on the car radio about a new album and hears about a website. They go to glennfrey.com there's nothing there. So they go to the Eagles page and look under links and his website is not listed. A casual fan isn't going to go further than that.

Glennsallnighter
06-16-2012, 12:21 PM
No! They google either Glenn Frey or Eagles as search terms and they come......

HERE!! (because this is at the top of the page)

And years later they realise that they can't even check out and they will NEVER leave!!

Glennsallnighter
06-16-2012, 12:34 PM
What I have noticed since the album release is a complete absence of all the self-deprecation. This is an artist who is content with himself and proud of what he has accomplished; and I am proud of him too. :grouphug:

Edit after seeing Joe's album debuted at #12:

Glenn SHOULD be happy with After Hours. Sales are not everything. I do hope that the lack of sales doesn't deter him from recording again the way it did with Strange Weather. I also hope that when he returns to the Eagles he doesn't push himself into the background. He needs to keep his profile high. We want all of this to have been worth it.

Well I am proud of him too! I think also it was not about charting or sales per se, although these are generally considered tangible measures of an album's success. It was about carrying out an idea and a project to fruition and being justly proud of the achievement. It was about being able to invest his time and his expertise in the creation of the reality of was to be 'After Hours'. Ultimately his main audience was to be his parents, it was for them that he created it. His run of shows have been spectacular, and very well received by the majority of his audiences. I hope that all that he has achieved with the album ans concets does give him the impetus to continue recording, whether more of these older songs, or perhaps some new material (that I'm sure is lurking in his attic somewhere!). Or to continue playing this show to new audiences.

It was wonderful to see how pleased and relaxed and happy he was in LA. This was NOT a man who did not believe in himself or in his new work, and the audience lapped it up enthusiastically. He commented during the show that he believed in the CD and he certainly gave off that vibe.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-16-2012, 12:57 PM
I guess that the point I was trying to make is that he went to the effort of making this CD and putting together the tour. His management team gets paid big bucks to promote it and it could have been done better in my (granted) inexpert opinion.

This is absolutely something he should be proud of, sales or not. The shows as well. He enjoys singing these songs, he has a deep love for these songs, and it can be heard on CD and heard and seen in the shows. He did a fantastic job, so I sincerely hope he's pleased and content with what he's done.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-16-2012, 01:09 PM
I couldn't agree with you more on your last posts, GA and VA - very well said. Glenn strikes me as a man that is comfortable in his own skin and lives life on his own terms. Although, we fans would all love to see him touring more, we just have to enjoy what we do get. I doubt if he went into this project with unrealistic expectations, and the time and effort he is devoting to promoting the album probably feels about right to him, no matter what we say. One thing for sure, he knows a lot more than me about these things so I don't blame him for not taking my advice. :wink: :grin:

No! They google either Glenn Frey or Eagles as search terms and they come......

HERE!! (because this is at the top of the page)

And years later they realise that they can't even check out and they will NEVER leave!!

And this is just too funny!!! :lol:

GlennLover
06-16-2012, 01:38 PM
I agree with GA, VA & Dreamer. I am so proud of him too. I think that this album is absolutely beautiful!!! I really think that he will do another one. He is so enamoured with this music.

Henley Honey
06-16-2012, 06:21 PM
This is absolutely something he should be proud of, sales or not. The shows as well. He enjoys singing these songs, he has a deep love for these songs, and it can be heard on CD and heard and seen in the shows. He did a fantastic job, so I sincerely hope he's pleased and content with what he's done.

Hear, hear, VA. I'm so happy that he "went against the grain" and made this record. Thankfully, he has reached the level where it doesn't necessarily have to be about units sold. It can be about the art. It can be about the arrangement. It can be about the journey. He should be proud.

Freypower
06-16-2012, 07:04 PM
Thanks to everyone for those wonderful comments which I heartily endorse. I only feel that occasionally the 'devil's advocate' role is justified or it sounds as if all we do is gush. (VA, I wasn't expecting any concerts in the UK. At least not this year).:pray:

As far as the new website being listed on eaglesband.com we all know how glacial that site is. As has been said, if fans want news they need to come here or to GFO.

Koala
06-18-2012, 12:32 AM
Glenn Frey's After Hours

Windeagle
06-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Glenn Frey's After Hours

"And here’s a sentence I never thought I'd type: Do yourself a favor and listen to Glenn Frey sing "The Shadow of Your Smile."

Totally agree! That's my favorite song on the CD. It was amazing to see it live.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Just found a random blog where a guy went out to Spotify on the first day of summer to hear THIO and found Sentimental Reasons, liked it and recommended it to his readers.

GlennLover
06-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Just found a random blog where a guy went out to Spotify on the first day of summer to hear THIO and found Sentimental Reasons, liked it and recommended it to his readers.

Glad you posted that VA. I got the link in a Google alert but, I couldn't get into the blog to read it. Thanks!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Another good interview...

http://www.entertainment-focus.com/music/articles/glenn-frey-after-hours

Freypower
06-21-2012, 10:45 PM
What an excellent review.

But 'Asylum'? Not only did he leave Asylum after No Fun Aloud, I don't even think it exists any more.

GlennLover
06-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Just got this in a Google alert, don't know quite where these comments are comimg from all of a sudden:

Eagles frontman Glenn Frey slams talent show judges (and says band relied on drugs in heyday)

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/celebritynews/eagles-frontman-glenn-frey-slams-talent-show-judges-and-says-band-relied-on-drugs-in-heyday-7875839.html

Glenn is more outspoken than usual. :ack: However, the article does say this::yay:

Frey has just recorded his first solo album for 20 years, After Hours, which is a collection of classic love songs. He is now trying to plan some solo shows in the London, admitting it would be a dream to play the Royal Albert Hall with an orchestra.

There's hope yet that he will cross the pond for concerts!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Just got this in a Google alert, don't know quite where these comments are comimg from all of a sudden:

Eagles frontman Glenn Frey slams talent show judges (and says band relied on drugs in heyday)

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/celebritynews/eagles-frontman-glenn-frey-slams-talent-show-judges-and-says-band-relied-on-drugs-in-heyday-7875839.html

Glenn is more outspoken than usual. :ack: However, the article does say this::yay:

He's in the UK now, right? To promote After Hours, so he's doing a lot of interviews. This article has a lot of quotes, but it also says a lot of things that aren't quoted. So they're either paraphrasing or slanting it to what they want it to say. We all know Glenn is more verbose than this. There's a lot that was said that was totally left out, and the whole reason for the article (After Hours) got two or three lines of space.

GlennLover
06-22-2012, 10:27 AM
He's in the UK now, right? To promote After Hours, so he's doing a lot of interviews. This article has a lot of quotes, but it also says a lot of things that aren't quoted. So they're either paraphrasing or slanting it to what they want it to say. We all know Glenn is more verbose than this. There's a lot that was said that was totally left out, and the whole reason for the article (After Hours) got two or three lines of space.

I'm not sure if he is actually there, although he had said previously that he was going to the UK to promote After Hours. The article didn't mention where or how the interview was conducted, ie, in the UK or over the phone. But I agree with your comments. I wondered why he even spoke on the topic of the talent shows. I imagine that his comments were in response to questions from the interviewer. Too bad there wasn't more about the new CD.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-22-2012, 10:29 AM
A nice review from the UK...

"The pace is gentle and graceful, and there is a smokey, jazzy vibe throughout. Frey’s versions are faithful and reverential; these are not really songs you can experiment with."

"Glenn Frey is clearly an artist with a passion for this kind of music and his passion certainly shines through."

http://www.musicomh.com/albums/glenn-frey_0612.htm

GlennLover
06-22-2012, 10:34 AM
A nice review from the UK...

"The pace is gentle and graceful, and there is a smokey, jazzy vibe throughout. Frey’s versions are faithful and reverential; these are not really songs you can experiment with."

"Glenn Frey is clearly an artist with a passion for this kind of music and his passion certainly shines through."

http://www.musicomh.com/albums/glenn-frey_0612.htm

That's more like it!

Glennsallnighter
06-22-2012, 06:16 PM

Frey has just recorded his first solo album for 20 years, After Hours, which is a collection of classic love songs. He is now trying to plan some solo shows in the London, admitting it would be a dream to play the Royal Albert Hall with an orchestra.

OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!! :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay: :yay: (how many more of these do I need to make my point???)

Freypower
06-22-2012, 07:00 PM
My keyboad is broken so I can barely type but I hope that happens. I would not be able to go though. TheEvening Standard is a trashy paper and they probably ask eveyone about these endless talent shows.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-22-2012, 09:06 PM
OK, so Twitter kind of exploded in the last 48 hours where Glenn is concerned. First there was the first day of summer and then the sweltering heat. There were still tweets about the video (TSOYS). Then of course, the Miami Heat won the NBA championship last night and THIO seems to be the official song. I have to wonder what Laker-fan Glenn thinks of that. It's probably a good thing he's in London.

After sifting through all the tweets, here are the relevant ones.
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/gl/twitter%20622/1.png

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/gl/twitter%20622/3.png

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/gl/twitter%20622/2.png

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/gl/twitter%20622/5.png

This one is really irrelevant but it made me laugh. Posted during the Heat/Thunder game last night:
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/gl/twitter%20622/4.png

Freypower
06-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Lucky Glenn in London.
Trivia:I know he's a Lakers fan but in the Livin' Right video he wears a Heat top at one point.

The first tweet sounds like he did a private show. I am still wondering what the story was with those two public shows that 'fell through'.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Lucky Glenn in London.
Trivia:I know he's a Lakers fan but in the Livin' Right video he wears a Heat top at one point.

The first tweet sounds like he did a private show. I am still wondering what the story was with those two public shows that 'fell through'.

I did a small search, I can't find anything on the show. I also found a tweet where he did an interview with a freelance journalist, but her name doesn't come up in any searches for any articles...with him or anyone else. Hmm. I'll look more tomorrow.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-22-2012, 10:17 PM
OK, this is a link to another forum named soundopinions. The first post you'll see is dated today, posted this morning, and doesn't say where the info comes from, but it's a site that seems to know what they're talking about. Other than saying Michael Thompson and Richard Davis had never heard of After Hours before Glenn mentioned recording it for the CD (really?), the rest of what's posted seems interesting.

http://www.soundopinions.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=24974&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

VAisForEagleLovers
06-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Another tweet tonight, Michael Armstrong? He won an American Idol heat but since he's from the UK, couldn't go into the contest.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/gl/twitter%20622/6.png

Freypower
06-22-2012, 10:34 PM
That is excellent; though it doesnt surprise me that much Michael and Richard didnt know AH.

I've been making sigs; I need to use that statement of pride.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-22-2012, 11:47 PM
A new video interview!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oxUPNnmk2xA

GlennLover
06-23-2012, 12:35 PM
A new video interview!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oxUPNnmk2xA

Great interview! Very interesting. Learned a few new tidbits. Looks good for "After Hours ll"! :yay:

I discovered the video in a Google alert for this review http://www.music-news.com/showreview.asp?H=Glenn-Frey&nReviewID=8328. It was a good review, but then the reviewer only gave it 3 out of 5 stars. :shrug:

ETA: The interviewer made this glaring error:

Bacharach and David’s The Look of Love is delivered more like a typical Frey ballad, while Avery Parrish’s title track rounds off the album as it begins, with a song that evokes images of black and white movies and gently choreographed smoky dance scenes

I did a search & there is a song called "After Hours" by Avery Parrish, but that is no excuse for that mistake.

timfan
06-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Great interview but the angle of the camera seems a bit awkward IMO :ack:

VAisForEagleLovers
06-23-2012, 12:54 PM
GL - Yes, I read that interview earlier and meant to post a comment at the bottom explaining his mistake. Then I got sidetracked. I'll go do it now! I don't get the three out of five stars either.

TF - Yes, it wasn't a high-dollar setup. The camera was obviously on a table and probably bought from a place like Best Buy. And the road noise? Were they out on the street with a backdrop? Glenn had to keep leaning forward to hear what the man was asking. Since that put him closer to the camera I didn't mind.

GlennLover
06-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Great interview but the angle of the camera seems odd at times IMO :ack:

Yes, tf, I found that odd from the very beginning! At first I wondered if Glenn was doing the interview through video conferencing & was looking at a screen.

VA, I went back & posted my 2 cents worth!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-23-2012, 01:08 PM
VA, I went back & posted my 2 cents worth!

I saw that! Good job! So I blasted him over the Rt. 66 'awkward' comment. And the three stars. Just another reviewer who listened to less than a minute of each song. I liked the comment someone else made about Here's To Life. The man obviously never listened to the original, the Streisand version I saw, she spoke it more than she sang it and it was very 'breathy'. I guess if that's his utopia, it's no wonder he thinks Glenn fell short.

GlennLover
06-23-2012, 03:24 PM
I saw that! Good job! So I blasted him over the Rt. 66 'awkward' comment. And the three stars. Just another reviewer who listened to less than a minute of each song. I liked the comment someone else made about Here's To Life. The man obviously never listened to the original, the Streisand version I saw, she spoke it more than she sang it and it was very 'breathy'. I guess if that's his utopia, it's no wonder he thinks Glenn fell short.

I saw your post as well! :thumbsup: Also, I question his use of the word "uncomfortable" in the review.
when he goes more jazzy and uptempo things feel more uncomfortable. There is nothing "uncomfortable" about this album! In fact, It gives me a very "comfortable" feeling!

Freypower
06-23-2012, 06:13 PM
I bet it's the Dorchester on Park Lane. There is a lot of traffic there.:twisted:

Apart from a few too many 'you knows' he sounded very good as ever. I think he will do After Hours 2. I will do a couplel of screen shots of that later.

ETA: I see VA beat me to it! WOW!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-23-2012, 08:32 PM
ETA: I see VA beat me to it! WOW!

I was asked by GL to hurry and do them. I sacrificed myself, needing to go over it again and again. I surely hope you all appreciate it, you know it was torture for me.:lie:

GlennLover
06-23-2012, 11:22 PM
I was asked by GL to hurry and do them. I sacrificed myself, needing to go over it again and again. I surely hope you all appreciate it, you know it was torture for me.:lie:

I really appreciate the sacrifices you had to make & the agony that you must have had to endure! ;-) Much appreciated, VA! :nod:

Glennsallnighter
06-24-2012, 06:25 AM
I loved this interview too. Glenn :sounds: so happy and upbeat about the whole project and therebisba wonderful energy about his manner. This is a guy still full of ambition and plans, and has taken his music and career to a whole new level. I loved the comment

If I make another record like After Hours and I think I probably will.......I'm gonna write a few more songs in this style that are compatible...

I will be really interested to hear what he will write.

This man is full of plans. He might not be using his guitar as much, but he's definitely NOT gonna hang it up in the near future!

GF :iloveyou:

And VA, thanks for the seriously wonderful caps that you posted in FF

VAisForEagleLovers
06-24-2012, 12:41 PM
An interview where Glenn discusses the CD track by track.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/interview-the-eagles-glenn-frey-on-his-album-after-hours-track-by-track-550086#!1

VAisForEagleLovers
06-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Another good interview...

http://www.famemagazine.co.uk/2012/06/24/glenn-frey-interview-variety-is-most-definitely-the-aphrodisiac-of-life/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

06-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Oh wow! I know a certain Irish fan that's going to be very happy when she reads this second interview that you posted, VA! :wink: :nod:

GlennLover
06-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Oh wow! I know a certain Irish fan that's going to be very happy when she reads this second interview that you posted, VA! :wink: :nod:

Oh, yeah!!! I was thinking the same thing as I read that ! :nod:

Glennsallnighter
06-24-2012, 05:17 PM
OMG OMG OMG OMG

I know nothings definite. But if you could see the stupid grin on my face. -

Ok. I'm actually crying. Dunno why! I just feel soooo emotional :fainted:

Freypower
06-24-2012, 06:51 PM
GA, I want this to happen as much as you do, but next year would be better for me. I would kill to go & see him in London but I currently don't really have the money. He may try to do it after the Olympics; September or October perhaps. I don't know....

The track by track analysis was excellent. His respect for these singers & songs shines through.

Glennsallnighter
06-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Oh I know FP! If he comes to Dublin and /or Belfast I would have a hard time justifying London as well! But, hey, would you have thought this time last year that any of this would have happened? Its been an incredible year and with the UK and European album release today !!!:yay::yay::yay: (Its 12:03 am here!) its not over yet!! Never say never!!

Oh and I LOVE your new sig! You are so creative with them!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-25-2012, 06:27 AM
A picture of Glenn on BBCBreakfast this morning.

http://yfrog.com/obgz6cwj

VAisForEagleLovers
06-25-2012, 07:00 AM
link for Glenn's appearance on BBC Breakfast this morning

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18577699?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#

If anyone finds a link with the entire thing (this seems to be missing a bit), please post. I'll be at the office all day...no Border. :frown

Glennsallnighter
06-25-2012, 07:47 AM
You know, I didn't even know Glenn :heart: was on BBC this morning or would have tuned in. Its crazy. Even my google alerts ob Glenn :heart: are coming in 24 hours after somrbody posts them here! Talk about feeling left out! Lol!

ETA the link was updated and seems to be working for me

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18577699?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

sodascouts
06-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Man I wish I had been able to check this board this morning! I could have tried to catch him on the BBC too since we didn't leave the hotel until 9:00.

So Glenn and I are both in London tonight, but sadly, I haven't seen him around. Perhaps it's for the best. "Hey Glenn - I just happened to be in the UK on vacation - I swear!"

Glennsallnighter
06-25-2012, 11:45 AM
I was thinking that! Amazing coincidence that you are in London the same time as Glenn :heart:

GlennLover
06-25-2012, 12:08 PM
I am just in heaven with all these (esp video) interviews!!!!! :smitten::blueblob::blueblob::partytime:

Love it when he says on the BBC interview "I was a volatile guy back then". Yes, he certaimly has mellowed more than "a bit". Also, isn't he particularly gorgeous in that blue shirt? :fainted:

GA, the video works for me as well but it does seem that there might be some missing, paticularly at the beginning & the end. It could be that they just cut the introduction & the interviewers' closing remarks, but I sure would like to know if we missed anything!

Soda, if Glenn knew you were in town I'm sure he would have wanted to get together with you, for a drink at least! ;-)

Glennsallnighter
06-25-2012, 02:39 PM
I'm going to see if there is a BBC player where you can view programmes that you missed earlier in the day and see if there is a better interview on it.

Brooke
06-25-2012, 03:16 PM
I was thinking that! Amazing coincidence that you are in London the same time as Glenn :heart:

Yes, very convenient! Are you sure you are telling the whole story here, Soda?

:twisted: :lol:

sodascouts
06-25-2012, 07:26 PM
I wish, Brooke! No Glenn sightings tonight. I'll keep an eye out at Heathrow tomorrow morning!

Freypower
06-25-2012, 07:42 PM
I tried to watch the second link & it froze so I don't know if there was any more to it or not.

ETA: No, only 2:27. Surely it was longer than that.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-25-2012, 08:38 PM
GA, he's looking to do a couple shows in the UK in the fall.

FP, he wants to do a few in Australia.

Calm yourselves, ladies. Take deep breaths. :smile:

http://www.stereoboard.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=173300&Itemid=9&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=news

VAisForEagleLovers
06-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Another interesting article...

http://www.redhotvelvet.co.uk/music-news/exclusive-interview-glenn-frey-from-the-eagles/

Freypower
06-25-2012, 09:08 PM
GA, he's looking to do a couple shows in the UK in the fall.

FP, he wants to do a few in Australia.

Calm yourselves, ladies. Take deep breaths. :smile:

http://www.stereoboard.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=173300&Itemid=9&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=news

He said he wants to 'visit with' people in Australia.

I have this to say:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9FPkhQ1I4Tg/TO3J0p8N79I/AAAAAAAABN4/qtFJtRiyVAQ/s1600/Sydney-Opera-House.jpg

GA, it is looking good for you!!!!

Glennsallnighter
06-26-2012, 03:26 AM
It is indeed looking good. All this anticipation is very exciting! And distracting. :smitten::smitten::smitten:

That would be wonderful FP! The Opera House with an Orchestra!

(I think I should save up for a trip to Australia)

VAisForEagleLovers
06-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Glenn is singing somewhere tonight! Not sure I understand all this. He was in the BBC Radio studio earlier today, I think, so maybe it's recorded? Anyway, this says he'll sing tonight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/simonmayo/2012/06/the_eagle_has_landed.shtml

VAisForEagleLovers
06-26-2012, 10:03 AM
A picture of Glenn taken this morning with Nick Stewart. I don't know what he does, exactly, but he put out another tweet that Glenn played an acoustic version of Desperado on BBC, and Nick seems to work for SkyNews.

http://yfrog.com/nvqb2tej

VAisForEagleLovers
06-26-2012, 10:29 AM
The pics of Glenn from Nick Stewart...so far.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/gl/626pics/glenn1.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/gl/626pics/glenn2.jpg

Here he says Glenn is warming up:
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/gl/626pics/glenn3.jpg

VAisForEagleLovers
06-26-2012, 12:59 PM
It's not on the schedule, but there are a lot of tweets that say Glenn will play two acoustic number just after 6pm this evening (which is now, right?) on Simon Mayo's show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/programmes/schedules/2012/06/26

ETA, he just said in the next half hour.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-26-2012, 01:35 PM
OMG! Totally awesome! After Hours and Take It To The Limit live, just Glenn singing and playing the piano. Oh wow. I hope they put up podcasts, everyone needs to hear this. :inlove::woah: This man is too amazing for words.

GlennLover
06-26-2012, 01:43 PM
It's not on the schedule, but there are a lot of tweets that say Glenn will play two acoustic number just after 6pm this evening (which is now, right?) on Simon Mayo's show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/programmes/schedules/2012/06/26

ETA, he just said in the next half hour.

I just tuned in. Sounds like I just missed. Heard Simon say that he had been busy before that playing Glenn Frey stuff. :ack:

ETA: He just read some e mails commenting, very favorably, about Glenn's interview & performance. Apparently he sang "Take It To The Limit" & everyone loved it! They can't include it in their podcast because of the royalties they would have to pay, but the interview will be available by podcast!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-26-2012, 02:17 PM
I just tuned in. Sounds like I just missed. Heard Simon say that he had been busy before that playing Glenn Frey stuff. :ack:

ETA: He just read some e mails commenting, very favorably, about Glenn's interview & performance. Apparently he sang "Take It To The Limit" & everyone loved it! They can't include it in their podcast because of the royalties they would have to pay, but the interview will be available by podcast!

He said it would be available for listening but not download elsewhere on the BBC site, but I didn't catch where. He even said it twice and I have no idea. I thought he said, 'BBC player' but I can't find such a thing. I'll look deeper when I finish work for the day. But yes, those two songs were totally awesome.

GlennLover
06-26-2012, 02:22 PM
He said it would be available for listening but not download elsewhere on the BBC site, but I didn't catch where. He even said it twice and I have no idea. I thought he said, 'BBC player' but I can't find such a thing. I'll look deeper when I finish work for the day. But yes, those two songs were totally awesome.

I didn't catch where either. What song did he sing besides TITTL? Would have loved to have heard it. I assume, from seeing the photo, that it was just him singing & playing piano?

VAisForEagleLovers
06-26-2012, 02:24 PM
OMG! Totally awesome! After Hours and Take It To The Limit live, just Glenn singing and playing the piano. Oh wow. I hope they put up podcasts, everyone needs to hear this. :inlove::woah: This man is too amazing for words.

Giving this a bump forward...got lost in the shuffle.

GlennLover
06-26-2012, 02:35 PM

Sorry, I must have skipped a couple of your posts in my haste to tune in to this broadcast, but I see now that it was "After Hours" (sigh)! I did a little searching & came up with this link http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00p2dfq Hope it is the correct one.

Simon did mention something about it being available for 7 days & it looks like this is a list of the shows from the last 7 days which can be listened to. Yesterdays was there with 6 days left so probably today's show will be made available soon

VAisForEagleLovers
06-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Thanks, GL! Now if you could find a copy of the live performance he did on Sky TV this morning, that would be great! I can't find where they post previous episodes of anything. I just know the show was with Eamon Holmes, and I probably didn't spell that correctly. He did an acoustic version of Desperado I think.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Here's Glenn's interview with Robert Elms on London94.9 from earlier today. It's only available for a few days, Glenn's interview starts at 2:33.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p001d7kb

Glennsallnighter
06-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Here's Glenn's interview with Robert Elms on London94.9 from earlier today. It's only available for a few days, Glenn's interview starts at 2:33.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p001d7kb

I've recorded it on my iphone up to where the interview stalled while they were playing Caroline No. Glenn :heart: was to sing one himself after that. I will see if it resumes.

Freypower
06-26-2012, 07:07 PM
When I tried to get Glenn's part of the Elms interview to play it froze.

He's very .... RAW ..... on Simon Mayo. :woah:

This whole last two months has been just incredible. I could write a great deal about it.

Glennsallnighter
06-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Yeah, the Elms one is freezing a lot. I am trying to get it recorded but every time there is some freeze on it. Then the one time it went well someone called my phone and that stopped the video. However I am determined to get this one. I loved it.

GlennLover
06-26-2012, 08:09 PM
He's very .... RAW ..... on Simon Mayo. :woah:

Should I listen to it, FP?

Freypower
06-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Should I listen to it, FP?

Yes. You may never hear him like this again; before he's properly warmed up. He says himself that he has a couple of what he appeared to call 'clamps' in After Hours; i.e. he didn't hit all the notes perfectly. By the time he gets to TITTL he's really into it; it's still raw but more 'confident'.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-26-2012, 08:40 PM
Yes. You may never hear him like this again; before he's properly warmed up. He says himself that he has a couple of what he appeared to call 'clamps' in After Hours; i.e. he didn't hit all the notes perfectly. By the time he gets to TITTL he's really into it; it's still raw but more 'confident'.

Yes, I absolutely loved it. Well, of course. I am a wee bit biased. But the radio station I listen to most has a lot of artists come in and sing live like this and I have to be honest, I usually have to change the station. So I was little worried about this, but these turned out really well, I thought. Just his voice and the piano and knowing it was him playing the piano...:smitten:

GlennLover
06-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Yeah, the Elms one is freezing a lot. I am trying to get it recorded but every time there is some freeze on it. Then the one time it went well someone called my phone and that stopped the video. However I am determined to get this one. I loved it.

I was able to listen all the way through. He did sing & play Desperado. Told a few interesting stories that I hadn't heard before.

GlennLover
06-26-2012, 09:00 PM

OK. I guess I misunderstood what you meant by "raw". I would say Glenn was "raw" on Desperado on the Elms show, but Elms was thrilled with it.

Freypower
06-26-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm glad he no longer thinks London is a city of the walking dead, which he says on a bootleg I have somewhere.

If someone is able to make Desperado into an MP3 I'd appreciate it if they could send it to me. Yes, it's raw, but it's beautiful. I maybe would not have done the falsetto 'let somebody love you' line.

GlennLover
06-26-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm glad he no longer thinks London is a city of the walking dead, which he says on a bootleg I have somewhere.

If someone is able to make Desperado into an MP3 I'd appreciate it if they could send it to me. Yes, it's raw, but it's beautiful. I maybe would not have done the falsetto 'let somebody love you' line.

I agree about the falsetto. I would love to have an MP3 of it also if someone can. Please :grin:

Glennsallnighter
06-27-2012, 02:29 AM
I will do my best to record it In one piece today and if I can we can sort out the Mp3

VAisForEagleLovers
06-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Glenn will be interviewed on Thursday and Friday on Smooth Radio at 11:25 local time. http://www.smoothradio.co.uk/?oo=41647999.

The DJ's comment that met him? "What a gentleman." Yeah, we knew that already...

VAisForEagleLovers
06-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Glenn chatted with a magazine called Female First in the UK. Here is the article.

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/music/interviews/Glenn+Frey-244934.html

Glennsallnighter
06-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Did you read that FP! Australia in September:partytime::partytime::partytime:

Yes, I know, nothing definite! But hey, it's worth looking forward!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-27-2012, 01:06 PM
For those who know Dutch or wish to use a translator. It's close enough to German that I think the author is giving it a thumbs up! Something about not caring for Rod Stewart or McCartney's attempt at this genre, but that Glenn's is beautiful? My German is really very rusty, so I may be way off base here.

http://www.dekrentenuitdepop.blogspot.nl/2012/06/glenn-frey-after-hours.html

GlennLover
06-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Glenn will be interviewed on Thursday and Friday on Smooth Radio at 11:25 local time. http://www.smoothradio.co.uk/?oo=41647999.

The DJ's comment that met him? "What a gentleman." Yeah, we knew that already...

When I went in to bookmark this site to listen tomorrow I discovered the interview with an option to download it here http://www.smoothradio.co.uk/shows-presenters/mark-goodier-in-the-morning/mark-goodiers-celebrity-chats/mark-goodier-chats-to-glenn-frey/47fae

Freypower
06-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Did you read that FP! Australia in September:partytime::partytime::partytime:

Yes, I know, nothing definite! But hey, it's worth looking forward!

For promotion, 'that's all'.... :applause:

Glennsallnighter
06-27-2012, 06:24 PM
If he goes to promote it like he is doing in the UK I'm sure its a better than evens chance that he will try to organise something! JMHO!

Ok, I have recorded the Elms and the Mayo interviews on the iPad using video.I'm sure I can convert them to MP3 when I upload them to the puta. Watch this space!

06-27-2012, 07:50 PM
I sure hope Glenn will schedule more shows. It seems that he would have scheduled some dates in the UK or Ireland while he was over there, but it doesn't even appear as if any of his band members are in the UK with him. I guess he's over there just testing the waters before he makes any committments. I've got a sneaky feeling that I'm not the only one that isn't giving up hope that more shows will be announced.

GlennLover
06-27-2012, 11:20 PM
I sure hope Glenn will schedule more shows. It seems that he would have scheduled some dates in the UK or Ireland while he was over there, but it doesn't even appear as if any of his band members are in the UK with him. I guess he's over there just testing the waters before he makes any committments. I've got a sneaky feeling that I'm not the only one that isn't giving up hope that more shows will be announced.

I haven't given up hope, but if he does do more shows on this side of the pond, they would have to be much later for me to even have a chance to save up enough money! :pray:

VAisForEagleLovers
06-28-2012, 09:13 AM
A nice review by Female First magazine.

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/music/reviews/album/Glenn+Frey-245091.html

VAisForEagleLovers
06-28-2012, 09:20 AM
A video interview from Reuters. It wouldn't play for me in the browser I tried, so if you can't get it to play, try a different one as well.

http://www.reuters.com/video/2012/06/28/eagles-glenn-frey-shows-his-jazzy-side?videoId=236230070&videoChannel=3

GlennLover
06-28-2012, 09:46 AM
A video interview from Reuters.
http://www.reuters.com/video/2012/06/28/eagles-glenn-frey-shows-his-jazzy-side?videoId=236230070&videoChannel=3

Did you notice this caption on the clip in the interview when Glenn is singing "I Love You For Sentimental Reasons": After Hours-Behind The Scenes Courtesy: Universal Studios? Could it be that there is more footage to be released from the After hours Teaser shoots? :shrug::pray:

VAisForEagleLovers
06-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Did you notice this caption on the clip in the interview when Glenn is singing "I Love You For Sentimental Reasons": After Hours-Behind The Scenes Courtesy: Universal Studios? Could it be that there is more footage to be released from the After hours Teaser shoots? :shrug::pray:

I did notice that! It shows him talking about Sentimental Reasons and that's not in the teaser. I imagine they had a time limit and recorded more than that and took the best of the best. I'd love to see more, but I'm sure Glenn already knows that his fans always want more!

GlennLover
06-28-2012, 11:38 AM
Read here what Simon Mayo posted about his interview with Glenn: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/simonmayo/2012/06/pink_champagne_on_ice.shtml

Freypower
06-28-2012, 06:42 PM
I did notice that! It shows him talking about Sentimental Reasons and that's not in the teaser. I imagine they had a time limit and recorded more than that and took the best of the best. I'd love to see more, but I'm sure Glenn already knows that his fans always want more!

I was able to watch it once but when I tried again I couldn't. Maybe they thought the FSR part didn't work when they put the trailer together.

ETA: Watched it & did screen shots. Give me a few minutes.

Glennsallnighter
06-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I suppose they shot a lot more tha they used in the final teaser. Makes you wonder what other little gems are hidden away somewhere. Shame if they don't get to see the light of day. But I suppose they have to make a judgement call on the best bits to air.

Windeagle
06-29-2012, 01:45 PM

Just listened to the Simon Mayo interview. Wow. I love it when Glenn allows himself to be less than perfect. Hearing him singing with just a piano he's playing himself, it's so... I don't know... intimate. It's like sitting in his living room. I agree, FP, we may never hear him like this again.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Glenn will be on BBC Radio Scotland tomorrow at 10am - noon local time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01k9mst

Freypower
06-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Apropos of nothing Charlie Watts has recorded Route 66.

http://www.noise11.com/news/charlie-watts-remakes-route-66-20120628

Also Jack Tempchin has commented here.

http://www.noise11.com/news/glenn-frey-new-song-is-30-years-old-20120624

VAisForEagleLovers
06-30-2012, 09:31 AM
The interview Glenn did earlier in the week has finally been aired and posted.

http://www.entertainment-focus.com/music/articles/interview-glenn-frey

VAisForEagleLovers
06-30-2012, 09:55 AM
More solo shows on the West Coast in Sept!!

He does want to do shows in Australia!!

He said the Eagles are doing 12 - 15 shows this year. I count 9, so I wonder... Maybe it just felt like 12 to him.

Freypower
06-30-2012, 09:02 PM

He said the Eagles are doing 12 - 15 shows this year. I count 9, so I wonder... Maybe it just felt like 12 to him.

Earlier today I couldn't access The Border but I could access GFO & watched the interview. I really wanted to come here & say something, but couldn't. Now....

I'm absolutely over the moon about this; I hope maybe December - January would be the ideal time because it is during our summer.

One of the songs he specifically mentioned when talking about why the band has lasted was New Kid In Town. I thought 'oh really; so will he bring it back? Probably not'.

When asked about Analog Man he was not very forthcoming. All he said was that he wished his bandmates well with their solo projects.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-30-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm absolutely over the moon about this; I hope maybe December - January would be the ideal time because it is during our summer.

When I listened a second time, I realized he said he'd do as he did in the UK, go and promote the CD, then tour later.

One of the songs he specifically mentioned when talking about why the band has lasted was New Kid In Town. I thought 'oh really; so will he bring it back? Probably not'.

I thought exactly the same thing.

When asked about Analog Man he was not very forthcoming. All he said was that he wished his bandmates well with their solo projects.

I think he was shocked at the question. I know I was. Competition? Not wanting the best for each other? I had to wonder if this guy knew nothing about the Eagles. If it had been me, I would have been a bit offended at the question.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Glenn will be on Johnnie Walker next Sunday, 3pm local time (London).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01kjgks

Glennsallnighter
07-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Pity they couldn't spell his surname right.

GlennLover
07-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Pity they couldn't spell his surname right.

Yes, isn't it! :mad:

07-02-2012, 12:02 AM
I'm loving these interviews, too. Well :doh:of course I am. Can't wait until fall to see what Mr. Frey has up his sleeve. :partytime:

BramwenR
07-02-2012, 02:59 PM

YES!! Woo hoo!! I'll be looking out for that!!

Also, the prospect or the thought of, doing a History of the Eagles tour next year!! :partytime::thumbsup: that means they would have to come back here, right?!

RIGHT!! :shock::cheers:
Glenn is such a softie..I still need to hear the whole album but these songs are all one of my fave eras too..still have to get LROOE as well..phew!!

Talk about being Eagled out!! LOL:hilarious:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Glenn was on Piers Morgan on CNN about an hour ago (I missed it). The link is not up on the site yet, and it looks like it might be repeated at Midnight EDT on CNN TV.

Thanks to HH for the heads up!!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Here's a link to subscribe to the Piers Morgan podcasts on iTunes.

http://piersmorgan.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/14/subscribe-to-the-free-piers-morgan-tonight-audio-podcast/

Here's a very short clip from the show.
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2012/07/03/piers-frey-changing-music-industry.cnn

07-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Yeah - I saw it just by accident. It was a great interview although they actually talked very little about the album. He was on between 20 - 30 minutes and most of the discussion centered around politics and the Eagles. I'm going to tape the rebroadcast. :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-03-2012, 01:36 AM
Watched the repeat, Glenn as usual was fantastic.

GlennLover
07-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Ohhh. Soo sorry I missed this! :-(

sodascouts
07-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Oh gosh, there is so much stuff here I'm going to have to come back to it later. Fabulous!

GlennLover
07-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Got this in a Google alert: "Eagles legend Glenn Frey joins Ally for a chat on the Mid Morning Show". You can listen here: http://www.westsound.co.uk/on-air/glenn-frey/

Not really anything new. He did say, when asked if he came from a musical family, that he is probably the first one in his family to get into music. Even if there is no new info, I still love to listen to anything he has to say1

07-03-2012, 01:51 PM
I was able to tape the Piers Morgan show last night. What a treat. Glenn Frey rocks!!! And I loved it at the end when Piers told Glenn he was a true legend. When they shook hands, Piers said he wanted to frame that - I guess even he can get a little starstruck! :partytime:

GlennLover
07-03-2012, 02:13 PM
I was able to tape the Piers Morgan show last night. What a treat. Glenn Frey rocks!!! And I loved it at the end when Piers told Glenn he was a true legend. When they shook hands, Piers said he wanted to frame that - I guess even he can get a little starstruck! :partytime:

So wish I'd seen that! I was able to download the clip :), but I don't see the podcast posted yet. It doesn't look like every episode is posted, unless they just leave the most popular ones up.

07-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Well, fear not, GL. I did get it on tape, so if they don't upload it to the site, we'll just have to do this the old-fashioned way. :grin:

GlennLover
07-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Well, fear not, GL. I did get it on tape, so if they don't upload it to the site, we'll just have to do this the old-fashioned way. :grin:

Oh, Thank you, Dreamer! :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
07-03-2012, 03:23 PM
This article was in a supplement in our local newspaper back in May. I saved the paper meaning to post it here, then forgot about it until I found it just now. There is also a photo of Glenn that I uploaded to photobucket and tried to post here, but it keeps showing up here as a red x.

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/Glenn%20Frey/07-03-2012020030PM.jpg

Prettymaid
07-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Okay, here's the photo that was with the above article.

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/Glenn%20Frey/07-03-2012014545PM.jpg

VAisForEagleLovers
07-03-2012, 06:08 PM
OK, all you Down Under...looks like Glenn might be there in late September. From Twitter.

‏@mmmhotbreakfast
Glenn Frey (Eagles) says he's available to be in town late September... could it be for the AFL Grand Final?

Freypower
07-03-2012, 06:11 PM
OK, all you Down Under...looks like Glenn might be there in late September. From Twitter.

‏@mmmhotbreakfast
Glenn Frey (Eagles) says he's available to be in town late September... could it be for the AFL Grand Final?

I don't know how to say this; if he is coming here, which we already knew, he would be doing promotion. He would not, I hope, perform at the AFL Grand Final, or the Rugby League Grand Final, come to that. He is bigger than that (the pre match entertainment for those games can be a career graveyard; half time at the Superbowl they are not).

Glennsallnighter
07-04-2012, 12:25 AM

Can you include me the 'old fashioned way' too please Dreamer :pray:?

Brooke
07-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Cool! Thanks Pm!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Transcript of the interview between Glenn and Piers Morgan the other night on CNN. It's a transcript of the entire show and Glenn's interview is towards the end.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1207/02/pmt.01.html

GlennLover
07-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Transcript of the interview between Glenn and Piers Morgan the other night on CNN. It's a transcript of the entire show and Glenn's interview is towards the end.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1207/02/pmt.01.html

Thanks for posting, VA. I checked back to see if the podcast of last night's show has been added to the website & it is there now. http://piersmorgan.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/14/subscribe-to-the-free-piers-morgan-tonight-audio-podcast/

I loaded it onto my iTunes. Still want to see the video though!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-06-2012, 12:38 PM
An interview with Glenn...

http://www.tayam.co.uk/on-air/glenn-frey/

Freypower
07-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Maybe I got too hopeful about a possible Australian tour. Promotional tour, yes. He did say it though, in that video interview, didn't he?

VAisForEagleLovers
07-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Maybe I got too hopeful about a possible Australian tour. Promotional tour, yes. He did say it though, in that video interview, didn't he?

Yes, FP, he definitely says 'promote'. Hmm. Maybe like the UK, he wants to promote it and then wait a few months and see how it does? In another interview he said Australia the end of Sept and in yet another he said some west coast dates in CA in Sept, so process of elimination says maybe the beginning of Sept. I wish he'd announce something soon...the airfare is cheaper when you can get it in advance!

zeldabjr
07-07-2012, 06:31 AM
Yes, FP, he definitely says 'promote'. Hmm. Maybe like the UK, he wants to promote it and then wait a few months and see how it does? In another interview he said Australia the end of Sept and in yet another he said some west coast dates in CA in Sept, so process of elimination says maybe the beginning of Sept. I wish he'd announce something soon...the airfare is cheaper when you can get it in advance!

I hope he tours more...I would love to see him and I missed his first go round of dates...although I would prefer something closer than Australia or CA..:laugh:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-07-2012, 12:02 PM
FP, the Herald Sun says Glenn is planning shows in late September in Australia (you have to have a subscription to see that, but it showed up in the Google results 'teaser'). Do you think they know what they're talking about? It's a shame when you have to wonder about such a thing these days.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/music/tupac-shakur-hologram-to-tour-down-under/story-e6frf9hf-1226419900894

07-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Well - I couldn't read what they had to say, but I'm going to go with what Glenn has indicated in recent interviews and say that his fall schedule is still in the planning stages and nothing is definite at this point.

Freypower
07-07-2012, 08:31 PM
FP, the Herald Sun says Glenn is planning shows in late September in Australia (you have to have a subscription to see that, but it showed up in the Google results 'teaser'). Do you think they know what they're talking about? It's a shame when you have to wonder about such a thing these days.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/music/tupac-shakur-hologram-to-tour-down-under/story-e6frf9hf-1226419900894

That link didn't mention Glenn & I would have thought these things take a while to set up; but these rumours are apparently starting to grow. So far only Melbourne has been mentioned; not Sydney. The Herald Sun is one of Murdoch's rags & I have no intention of subscribing to it to find out more. Let's hope.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-08-2012, 10:12 AM
An interview with Uber Rock in London...

http://www.uberrock.co.uk/interviews/58-july-interviews/5430-glenn-frey-interview-exclusive.html

VAisForEagleLovers
07-08-2012, 10:25 AM
He's also on Johnnie Walker right now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01kjgks

ETA: This link will only work for the next seven days.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Possibly the best review of the album that I've read (other than our reviews, of course).

"His upper range vibrato is perfectly controlled and from wherever he's singing or sometimes crooning, he sounds 100% in command. But more than the some might say surprising technical expertise he exhibits, Frey's ability to inhabit the songs and render them suavely from within is impressive."

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/glenn-frey-proves-hes-got-vocal-chops-standards-album

Glennhoney
07-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Possibly the best review of the album that I've read (other than our reviews, of course).

"His upper range vibrato is perfectly controlled and from wherever he's singing or sometimes crooning, he sounds 100% in command. But more than the some might say surprising technical expertise he exhibits, Frey's ability to inhabit the songs and render them suavely from within is impressive."

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/glenn-frey-proves-hes-got-vocal-chops-standards-album

I must agree :thumbsup:

Glennsallnighter
07-08-2012, 07:54 PM

Love it! Soooo true!

Freypower
07-08-2012, 10:00 PM
That is a great review, especially the part about Same Girl, which knocks me flat every time I hear it. I was listening to Here's To Life in bed last night & my face was just red - blushing - throughout. I thought I'd tire of Route 66 & every time I hear it I'm drawn even further into it. But all this isn't all that easy to write about.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-09-2012, 04:45 PM
A nice article. Es ist auf Deutsch.

http://www.focus.de/kultur/musik/interview-mit-eagles-gruender-glenn-frey-eine-mischung-aus-achterbahn-und-zeitmaschine_aid_779189.html?utm_source=twitterfee d&utm_medium=twitter

VAisForEagleLovers
07-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Glenn will be on Tavis Smiley (PBS) this week.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/

ETA: He's on tomorrow (Tuesday) and Wednesday, a two part interview.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-09-2012, 06:09 PM
My local PBS station won't have it until Wednesday and Thursday. But it will be on the link above Wednesday evening for those who don't get it locally.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Another interview done while Glenn was in the UK. This is BBC Radio Scotland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00vl0d6

GlennLover
07-10-2012, 06:05 PM
My local PBS station won't have it until Wednesday and Thursday. But it will be on the link above Wednesday evening for those who don't get it locally.

Same for me. I get it on two stations but, they are both airing Glenn's appearances tomorrow and Thursday.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Two and a half minutes of the PBS interview from YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpjP0oTJYT8

VAisForEagleLovers
07-11-2012, 05:19 PM
The entire Part 1 from last night's show.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2255019065

You do not need to input your email id if you don't want to.

ETA: Two and a half minutes into it and we have it verified that Glenn is one of the nicest guys on this earth.

Glennhoney
07-11-2012, 06:16 PM
...cannot wait to see part 2....awesome!!!!

sodascouts
07-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Love these!

GlennLover
07-11-2012, 08:24 PM
He's an interesting teller :thumbsup:(although I've heard most of them before:laugh:).

Glennsallnighter
07-12-2012, 03:23 AM

ETA: Two and a half minutes into it and we have it verified that Glenn is one of the nicest guys on this earth.

Awwww I think we knew that anyway VA! Thanks for posting that link, I too cannot wait to hear the next part of the interview!

GlennLover
07-12-2012, 07:53 AM
This is what it says in the write up for tonight's Part 2!!!

In the final part of a two-night conversation, the six-time Grammy winner discusses how he’s changed over the years and his interest in writing a memoir about his work with the Eagles.

I never thought that we would hear Glenn say that! I so hope he does it!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-12-2012, 09:29 AM
This is what it says in the write up for tonight's Part 2!!!

I never thought that we would hear Glenn say that! I so hope he does it!

He said it in one of the interviews he did in the UK, too. He mentioned having started it and had notes that he's made, or something like that. It'll be interesting to hear what he actually says about it in Part II.

sodascouts
07-12-2012, 01:07 PM
I've always wanted to hear Glenn tell his story. I'm sure it will be fascinating!

Brooke
07-12-2012, 01:49 PM

That was just fantastic! Can't wait to hear the rest! I loved the story Tavis told about the club and how nice Glenn was to him. Yep, he really is a nice guy, but yeah, we knew that!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Part 2. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2255342458

Glennhoney
07-12-2012, 07:26 PM
An amazing interview with an awesome man....Glenn is everything I always thought he was/is...love him..

Freypower
07-12-2012, 07:35 PM
All I can say to that is I think people who aren't necessarily big Frey fans should watch it.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-12-2012, 07:51 PM
I got a little teary there at the end. Wonderful interview, and I'd never watched Tavis Smiley before, I might have to try and catch more of his shows.

sodascouts
07-12-2012, 08:11 PM
How cool that he's talking so much about the Eagles getting together on the anniversary of their Disneyland performance backing up Linda Ronstadt!

TimothyBFan
07-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Wonderful interview!!! I almost jumped out of my seat when I heard that about the book!!! OMG!!! I would give anything to see a book from one off these guys!!! Yay, Glenn!!!!

sodascouts
07-12-2012, 08:18 PM
This interview is the best one of Glenn I've seen in a long time. Like VA, I'm gonna watch this Tavis guy more often!

GlennLover
07-12-2012, 11:56 PM
All I can say to that is I think people who aren't necessarily big Frey fans should watch it.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing as I watched it. How could you not have respect for him after seeing these 2 interviews?

Loved his Bernie Leading impression! :hilarious:

sodascouts
07-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Another thing I noted, and I'm glad Tavis asked - and that is "Do you WANT to write songs?"

And Glenn said "Yes"!

This made me so happy because I was worried he had no interest in writing new music, that he was going to devote the rest of his career to doing covers - and while I'm happy to get anything from Glenn, getting new and original music would be ideal! Yes, please, yes!

sodascouts
07-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Got an email from the author asking me to post this link to his article:

http://www.uberrock.co.uk/interviews/58-july-interviews/5430-glenn-frey-interview-exclusive.html

VAisForEagleLovers
07-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Got an email from the author asking me to post this link to his article:

He obviously didn't take the time to look...I swiped it from Twitter within minutes of him tweeting it on Sunday. I put it on GlennFreyOnline, too, but there's been so many other things since then it's fallen off the bottom of the page.

sodascouts
07-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Sorry - I should have known you'd already posted it!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Sorry - I should have know you'd already posted it!

No, it was good that you did, so if he does look, he'll see it instead of not going back four pages and missing it (this thread has a lot of activity!)

Freypower
07-13-2012, 06:10 PM
A couple of other observations about the Tavis Smiley interview:

Glenn doesn't use an iPod; the most he does is text.

He said he wanted to record Rainy Night In Georgia, a favourite of mine, but realised it was a song for a baritone, and he's a tenor.

I loved the story of the Wiltern after party ('the crowning achievement' he said the show was, or something like that) & how at 1.30 a.m. he wanted to stay another half hour to avoid going back to garbage & dishwashing & dog do! He also said some lovely things about Cindy.

His take on songwriting, which is that you should paint pictures & entertain people because nobody wants to know how you feel, is interesting. He has never been a 'confessional' songwriter in the way someone like Jackson Browne can be.

Glennsallnighter
07-13-2012, 07:43 PM
From RTE (Our national broadcasting station)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0711/freyg.html&ct=ga&cad=CAEQAhgBIAAoATAAOABA1Z3__wRIAVAAWABiBWVuLVVT&cd=zewjR2tOT5c&usg=AFQjCNEIYO8MmdDjQe52E2YZ9xFKZnUx7g

sodascouts
07-13-2012, 08:26 PM
His kids probably got him to start texting. That's the only reason my mom learned to do it. The first time I got a text from my mom using a text abbreviation - "luv u" - my jaw hit the floor.

I love my iPod; it allows me to listen to a huge variety of music no matter where I am. What could be better? Does Glenn still use an old-school Walkman? ;)

You know, it's funny. On the one hand, Glenn talks about how no one cares what the songwriter is feeling, but on the other hand, he recognizes that good music makes YOU feel something. Many times, the reason we feel it is because the artist pours his/her own feelings into it. In other words, I don't think it's so much that no one cares how the artist feels - it's that no one cares how the artist feels UNLESS they feel it, too.

Freypower
07-13-2012, 09:36 PM
My guess is that Glenn has never used a device such as a Walkman.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-13-2012, 09:56 PM
My guess is that Glenn has never used a device such as a Walkman.

I haven't either, but then most of you know I'm far from technophobic. Since I make my living by being a software geek, I try to stay up to date on things.

I like what he said about handwritten letters. I have a cousin who was away for a few years and he got pretty homesick. At first I typed letters in and printed them. One day I had a fight with both printers and lost and had to sit and write it out by hand. The letter I got back? He was so very happy I'd written it. Said that unlike an impersonal typed page it was like I was there with him when he read it. So of course, that meant I had to write out all the ones after that! He's back in the area now and we're back to communicating via texting.

Brooke
07-23-2012, 03:11 PM
I finally got time to watch the 2nd part of the TS show. Loved it! I so wish Glenn would write that book!

Fabulous interviews! Glenn :iloveyou: but we still need some solo dates here in the midwest! Please think about it!

RebeccaLovesEagles
07-26-2012, 01:51 AM
I loved the new album and I have become addicted to the song "After Hours" :partytime:

I might need an intervention:grouphug: